Speaker 1: This is Frosted Tips with Lance Bass, an iHeartRadio podcast. Hello, my Little Peanuts, it's mere host Lance Bass. This is Frosted Tests with Yeah Me, Lance Bass and my lovely co host Turkey and Drew Bo. Hello. All right, Drew, So we just got back from our big Florida trip. Well how was it? Uh? First of all, where'd you go? So? Okay, So we went to Pensacola, says My family loves to go to the beach and it's driving distance to Pensacola and navar Like. By the way, if you've never been to the Panhandle of Florida, I haven't. It is the most gorgeous beaches, the whitest sand, like just the beaches are beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's like flower But I have always heard that in Florida. Florida is the only state where you go north to go to the south.
Speaker 3: So there is actual city's living there, but the beaches in the north the nicest speech.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're in the redneck revie is what we call it. Okay, but the most gorgeous beaches ever. I used to live in Perdido, like I mean, then we I grew up going there. That's what the family vacations were because we couldn't, you know, afford to fly anywhere, so you had to drive. And the coolest place to drive, you know, just a few hours away, was the best beaches in the country. So you did Pensacola the whole family. Oh yeah, but my mom to live there. Yeah, my mom and dad lived there when they first got married. She used to teach in Pensacole. Oh, I didn't know that when they were just little children. Children's well, I hope they weren't children. Well, well, I mean she was like twenty, so that's that she.
Speaker 4: Was a child.
Speaker 1: She was younger than all of us this time speak for yourself. But so you know, we try to get there every summer, a lot of summers. You know what they always say, if you want to book a job, plan vacation, and that usually happens around this trip where we're a week away from going to stay with my family, and then you get this offer you can't refuse, like, okay, well have fun, family, I'm not gonna meet you there.
Speaker 2: So you had to squeeze it all in. But this year I made it. So wait a minute, now, do the little ones I know they're not going to the ocean. But are they about the pool?
Speaker 1: The pool? They are aesc just this summer is one more than the other. I know they're twins. Yeah he is.
Speaker 3: He likes to like jump in and be crazy, but like they both love it. They both It took her a while.
Speaker 1: I mean it took her what two weeks to really get comfortable not holding on to you. Now they're like going side in their little floaties. They're just all about their little floating things. And now they're almost out of their floaties. Really yeah, well, yeah, we're at the end of the summer. They're they're not gonna have float They're gonna be That's it's our goal. So yeah, it was great. One thing I love just hanging with the family. You know we rent a little house. Is I could eat so much seafood, love seafood, Like I just give me like amazing and so every time we go down there, we have the best stuff. Well you know that.
Speaker 2: Actually it was when I was working on that TV show in Miami that I first was starting.
Speaker 1: To eat savice because there's I love savich.
Speaker 2: So now don't try to get savice in California, because I have done that and that is no good really well, there's got to be some places that do.
Speaker 3: Maybe exactly.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a slurpy cavicha no, but but Miami and in Florida always had the best cavichah.
Speaker 1: Which is where we went after Pensacola. So we went to Miami to see his family. Quick little flight from Pensacola down to Miami, and it was great because we got to see his his his new nephew, Sonny, little Sonny Fineman, the tiniest, cutest So we got to meet the cousins for the first time. So such a blast this year. Instead of staying with the family, because you know, now that the kids are getting older, I feel like we're in the way. It was like that there's four of us, you know, that's that's a lot of people. So we decided to, you know, get out of the hair a little bit, although we did stay with your sister a lot most like most of the time. Basically we had this to put our stuff in. Where'd you guys stay the WHI I know that w which is great, Yeah, really great. I mean right there on the ocean. I love Yeah, And their faces have like a little home base for yourself. You could put all to get away and we went out a couple of nights. That was the best thing. So, you know, the kids pretty much stayed with Aunt La La.
Speaker 3: At my sister's and my my sister's husband. Scott is currently out of town for a month, and so are his two children.
Speaker 1: My sisters tell them what Scott does. This is such a great Scott.
Speaker 3: He's a saint. He uh yeah, we didn't talk about more about this. He has it's called Frontier Travel and he plans these big trips all across the world, like a trip with a group of really needs adults who are mentally so adult autism are just different mental disorders somehow. So it gives them a chance to see the world, throw away from their parents because a lot of them live with their parents. And so he and his uh groups groups. So I mean they've been on cruises, they've gone to Japan, they've been to Iceland.
Speaker 1: I mean all over the world they have the best time is a nonprofit, No, it's a business. Is business and so and so it's like a tour group.
Speaker 3: How you like, you know, go to a tour group in Japan with a bunch of people. It's a tour group, but they're all adults with certain special needs and uh yeah, and they have the most amazing time episodes.
Speaker 1: So he's gone, he was away away for a month doing that. Yeah, so they have to stay with her all the time. And then you know, we'd have a couple of nights out with our friends, and then we had a hotel just to crash at and don't not have to wake up at six in the morning with the kids. It was amazing. It was a true vacation. That's true. They I love to hear that. I'll know anyone listening if you've dealt with this. But you know, we you know, we potty train in them at the same time. And on their second birthday last October, they were pretty potty trained. They had they knew exactly. I'm like, this is great, how do we get them potty trained in four days? Well that's not the case. My girl, great Violet incredible. She potty trained. You know, she'll have an accident every once in a while, but she is.
Speaker 3: She has a body till even in the bathtub and she has the piece she has will refused to pee in the top and I have to take her out put her on the top.
Speaker 1: It is just a dainty little thing. I was like, I don't even do that as an adult. I'm like, cold, get out, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: No, it's who doesn't be in the shower. On different page, I'm like, honestly, you're gonna sit in your sanitary sanitary and jacuzzie, there's chlorine.
Speaker 3: Listen, if you got a wound and you have to clean and you have no clean water, you be on it.
Speaker 5: Hello, it's it's it's I don't live fifteenth century. Okay, well some of us do. But wait a minute. So you were talking about the kids. Then we took a left turn, so wait a minute. So great.
Speaker 1: He kind of reverted a few months ago for most, I mean until the end of last year. Great. Then all of a sudden he's like, yeah, I'm just gonna poop my pants. Now, yeah, he's all about it, but it almost like purposely knows. He looks at you and you're like, are you pooping? No, And you know he's say to them every day, so what do you do if you have to poop? Where do you go go to the party?
Speaker 2: Two seconds later, it's just there, pooh. It is it is he just one the He just doesn't care.
Speaker 1: And a lot of boys revert.
Speaker 3: I mean it's very common when you they revert back, like, it's very common. That's kind of body draining. Very common, except for a daughter because he's apparently.
Speaker 1: Perfect, she's perfection. But yeah, I mean so airplane rides, you know, sometimes you get to the next place and all of a sudden they've pooped and all up their back. I don't understand how it creeps up to their mid back. Oh yeah, but it just does. You know, it's it's not good, especially if you're landing. You can't get up and you're just kind of sitting in it, and then everyone around you. You're like, I am so sorry, but that's just you.
Speaker 2: Know, Okay, So Alexander needs to be re potty trainer? Do they say they work it out? Like how does that work?
Speaker 1: They say, Look, they're not ready until they're ready, So there's no way of forcing him. Look, we know he knows what to do, what to do, He knows what to do, he just doesn't want to do it. So until he's ready, until he's like I don't want to sit in poop, then he's not gonna do it.
Speaker 3: He's like like him and like regular people in flossing. You're like, I know I should, but like.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fair. I was more thinking like he was Heath Ledgers, the joker as he's walking away from the hospital exploding like he doesn't care.
Speaker 1: He does do that.
Speaker 3: He'll look back and be like and like give you a look, and I'm like, why did you just do that? Was like a threat to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, It's funny how you can just read their faces, especially him, like he just you know, like you know exactly what he's saying, thinking what he's about to do. He's such a stinker literally literally like he was. He was me. You know, I have that kid, you know that kid that people talk about when they you know, like kids come home from school like hey mom, blah blah blah did this today in school? That's our kid. He won't sit and circle. You know, every picture because we got a yearbook, you know, at the end right here in front of me, there's not one picture of Alexander in circle where they have story time and they're singing music and there's Violet having the best time. Uh huh. Never because he is just.
Speaker 2: Have a lot of like detentions and stuff and right, yeah, very distract hopefully not pers the thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he just likes it. He's a looner. He likes his own thing.
Speaker 3: No, he is two and a half and they just like to explore the sit in the when you read to them like a moment.
Speaker 2: She does, he's not some have you tried reading the new book that you wrote?
Speaker 1: Scar By the Way comes out weirdly two weeks. How the book comes out in two weeks?
Speaker 2: Well yeah, so wait the Halloween. It's trigger treat on Scary Street. It comes out in the summertime.
Speaker 1: July twenty eighth, I think, so, yeah, yeah, okay, you can pre order it. Go ahead, pre order. Let's go ahead and make it a best seller. Guy, it'll be nice if it was a bestseller. But it's it's so cute, and they did the My publisher sent me about four copies of it a couple of months ago, and it turned out so good, the the illustrations, like everything is it's it's exactly what I wanted this book to be. And this is a book I've been thinking about for years and it took forever to I mean, it took us three years to get this published. But you know, I've tested it out with them because they do loved you know, books, and they love Halloween, and of course my kids are gonna love Halloween the goodness because you guys love Halloween, and they every single night I have to read them a scary book, like a Halloween book, five Little Pumpkins, whatever it is. But then when I finally got this book, I'm like, well, at least I know they're going to like this obsessed. Yeah, to read Scary Street every single night a few times. I mean what if they didn't like it, well, it would be the tailing and I'd be very upset awful. But they won't. They won't let me turn the page because it's a picture book, right, so there's like tons of things to look at, and so they will not let me turn the page until they find like the five clowns, how many pumpkins, this witch, this bad They just know all the pages now and obsessed.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I like, I like when you have like children's books like that that do have lots of little things to discover.
Speaker 1: It's it's a Where's Waldo kind of thing? But yeah, I mean it is kind of word because we're gonna I don't know how to do this, but I do need to come up with some kind of page that goes with the book, because I do have ideas of making it like a whre's waldo, you know, so it's like, okay, page three, like can you find the d.
Speaker 2: Maybe someone could make a little website for you, or little web page or whatever for the book that.
Speaker 1: Just has websites went out in like two thousand. I'm like my grandma.
Speaker 3: Okayans for the book an intimate look inside Scary Street.
Speaker 1: It's just me reading this book, like like with my bare feet. I was going to say with just like this is a a s m R.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that frosted tips was actually frosted doos.
Speaker 1: We should do a whole episode of ms R. No I hate MSR. Is it's a s m R A s m R? What does it mean? I hate it? Whatever it is, it's the worst. But I also have that misophone misceophonia.
Speaker 2: Well, and also every time I roll across something like that on TikTok, all you hear is just spit in people's mouths.
Speaker 1: Discuss well. On that note, should we get to our guests, please bring the guest in. Let's take a little break, because I think we need a break from this conversation. When we come back, we have the one and only Jesse McCartney on the show today. I've been wanting on frosted Tips for like the whole first season, but now we have them as one of our first guests on the second season, the frosted Tips on Frosted Tips, Drew Boo, I'm so glad that you're back with us. Nice to be here. You know, the fans have really been asking that. The fan has really been asking about you. The fan has been asking and they start with who is Drew? Why does he keep talking? No, I'm glad that that that you're back with us, because in the first season of the show, it was really about getting with our favorite teen idols today and yesteryear getting to know them. Well, second season, we've run out of teen idols. We've learned that there's been a there's a finite amount of t and idols right there. Uh, and so now we had to figure out what we do and now we're just gonna bring back our old dirty pop show. Really and we go over pop culture news, have some of our favorite guests back on the show, our favorite peanuts. We have to get uh, all kinds of fun people back in the show. We've forgotten all right for for you peanuts out there that remember our show on Dirty Pop and all that kind of stuff. Which peanuts do you want? I mean, Giggles has to go back to come back.
Speaker 2: She's made a little Justin Martin Dale. Justin Martindale is so funny. Guys on podcast Crazy and t D.
Speaker 1: We got Jay Dizzle, who's over there.
Speaker 2: Okay, he was in the very beginning, you know who I would love to get back as Wendy the Pink Princess.
Speaker 1: The Pink Princess, she was. She was one of my favorite.
Speaker 3: There's lots I know most people are like, who the hell are you talking about?
Speaker 1: We'll just guess what. They were amazing and you're gonna hear a lot from the this season. Also this season, we're bringing in a lot of different guest hosts because I'm just gonna be gone a good bit and I just can't keep this up probably every single week. So we're bringing in our boy aj McLean from the Backs You Boys, and he is going to host the show a good bit.
Speaker 2: He's so good too. I was just listening to the episode you guys did with Brian. He can talk, he's funny. He's what we call a ham in the business. He's a bit of a ham, but he enjoys it and he's really good. I just I thoroughly enjoy his hosting ability.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. Uh. And speaking of great guests, we have one with us right here, excited to have him on Frosted Tips. It's mister Jesse McCartney. Hello, Jesse. All right, I have to do your intro and see which of this is actually true, because sometimes they're just not well. I would say eighty percent of the times are not really true. We're just a little off Wikipedia. It's like every time you do. And Jesse, I don't know if this happens to you, but anytime you read an article on yourself, how many times has it been hundred percent truthful?
Speaker 4: It's usually not not at all.
Speaker 1: I've never read one thing and just the slightest thing, you know, it's like, oh, he was born here, No, I wasn't born there. Oh he was twelve, No, I was actually thirteen. Just slight things, but they're never one hundred percent right, never never.
Speaker 4: All right, listen, I'm here to confirm.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's Okay, I can not confirm or deny this. We can today, all right. Jesse started out as a stage performer and got a reoccurring role on All My Children, which later got two Emmy nominations. Oh Emmy nominated, Brought Her and It's Teens. He was signed to a boy band, dream Street. We all know dream Street. They've been on the show before. We actually got them back together. We're gonna claim that we literally did that. We did. They told us, they said it whispered the show that we actually got back together and recorded more music. Thank you. Uh So eventually got a solo deal with Hollywood Records. A song Beautiful Soul, Oh My God, one of the biggest songs on the planet, certified platinum, and his departure album yielded another smash single, leaving landing him at the every one spot on the charts. It was top forty radios most played song of the year. That's Insane Yeah. The next Thing of How Do You Sleep also tried top ten the following year. Songwriting credits include the co writing smash hit Bleeding Love Yeah, Leona Lois's Bleeding Love. This Man wrote that, which was a number one hit across thirty four countries, the only song in over a decade to achieve this status.
Speaker 3: Wait, I have a question. Who's Leona Lois? As you just said, did I say Lois?
Speaker 1: You kind of mumbled through it. I was like, I think maybe that's a little Southern coment. Lois.
Speaker 2: It was your twins out hard today for the record.
Speaker 1: Well again kidding the song it's the only song to ever do that over a decade to achieve the status. It also won ASCAPS Song of the Year was nominated for a Grammy.
Speaker 3: That song was hands down like the best song for year's personal favorite.
Speaker 1: I mean, Jesse tell us about one was all that correct? Oh that's correct, My gosh, ding.
Speaker 2: And unfortunately we don't have any more time left and I'm out.
Speaker 1: Welles, I want to know, since we're talking about your writing, when did you know that you could write?
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know. It was definitely one of those things. I certainly didn't start out as a songwriter, you know. When I was signed also so young labels as you know, a very apprehensive about letting their young pop artists go in and write their own records. But I just started working with a lot of really talented songwriters who were working on my albums and learned a lot from them. I would say by the time I was like eighteen nineteen, I started like writing decent songs, like songs that I thought were good, and then by the time I was twenty, writing songs that I think were valid enough for good enough to be on my own albums. But I think, to be honest with you, it wasn't until Bleeding Love that people really started taking notice of me as a writer. And that song, too, like has such a history because it was intended to go on the depart your album with Leavin and how Do You Sleep? And the label is a classic story where the label hated it and thought it wasn't bright and they were very condescending or you know, writing emails like what is this bloody song? Like no one wants to hear that? And I was bummed about it, to be honest, because I thought it was a really great record. And then Ryan Tedder was just who I wrote it with, was just very resilient and just kept pitching it to other artists, you know, a year two years later did he pitched it and and then it fell in Leona's lap and became a huge record. It was sort of like and I told you so moment, but also at that point I was like, okay, I'm I'm confident in my writing at this point, so.
Speaker 1: Totally and that song made her career. Oh wow. Yeah, and Leona has actually become a good friend of ours here in Los Angeles. We have kids the same age, kind of like it's kind of the same parent circle. Yeah, we have cool parents, not like the other junyear who's going to our school this year? They're in the class. My gosh, So if you like Brava, well you want to go to our school. They weren't in our class this school we're starting now, so that okay, maybe that's why. So at orientation it was Jackson, Brittany, La, La and rand and she and Brock. They're all going to be in the same class kids class.
Speaker 2: It's basically the Valley Elementary School edition or school edition, Preschool Valley.
Speaker 1: This is our end. This you want to be on the Valley. I'm going to do a fun in the Valley. I'll be as a friend of uh we love our Ryine tetor also how did you meet Ryan?
Speaker 4: Ryan was a young writer as well. He had just I don't even know if Apologize had come out. One Republic was the new band and he, you know, he was a songwriter before he you know, was the discovered him again.
Speaker 1: My mom discovered Bryan Tedder.
Speaker 4: Oh really, oh wow, I hope she got some. I hope so she got some.
Speaker 1: Was not an entertainment. She's a teacher.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: We did this whole Uh yeah, we did this kind of contest before American Idol count It's just like that. And she went around the country with Robert Wilie and all these other people and auditioned everyone. And he was our Nashville audition and he made our show, went on MTV and he won the whole thing. Pick.
Speaker 4: I hope she hope he cut her in.
Speaker 1: He did not. None of us are cut in. But that's okay. We could not get him a record. Deal of his life depended on it. Every single person was like yeah, no, waight. So like.
Speaker 4: I think I think that's why. I mean, I don't know. I don't want to speak for him, but I think Apologize was one of those songs where Timberland sort of like put the stamp of approval on it. Yeah, it was sort of like an endorsement for.
Speaker 1: Ryan Tetter, and the way he remixed it was great.
Speaker 4: It was brilliant, and he's in amazing produce. I mean, he's a super talent, there's no question. But we were just writing. I mean we were just I was booking sessions with writers around town and we got into the studio and Bleeding Love was like one of the first songs we wrote. And we wrote only a couple other songs to get other all of which I don't actually think ended up getting published except Bleeding Love, which is fine. And but yeah, that's that's kind of how we met.
Speaker 1: What's your process? Like, would like say, okay, hey, Ryan, let's you want to write together. Sure, how does that start? Does it start with like a coffee and you just start talking ideas or do you get a guitar out first and start playing things?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's always its always, you know, always a coffee, always a coffee, And we really just booked in the studio for the first two three hours. Mostly every session starts out with us just talking about whatever traffic usually how awful it is. And then I mean, I'm I'm a melody lyric lyricist guy, you know, I mean, I can play piano a little bit, but I'm not you know, a real like a great musician, you know, but I'm I'm a fairly good lyricist and great with melody. And so Ryan and I got in and he had this sort of just basic track, this B three organ and it was the chords to Bleeding Love. It's a four chord progression. And I just got in the booth and started singing melodies over the track, which is generally how I do things, and and then like pulled up my notes app that had hundreds of, you know, lyrical ideas and had this sort of concept you know, bleeding love or being ripped open or cut open and super dramatic, and then we just sort of developed it from there. But there's no science to it. I mean, I think it's different every time. Sometimes I go in with just like a lyric idea that I like and try to expand on it. But you know, most ideas are terrible, and once in a while you get a bleeding Love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's the rule of them? Like every twenty the songs a hit, just going to keep one and twenty then you finally got out.
Speaker 4: That's a good. Maybe it's changed, like twenty percent.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm always surprised when I hear when somebody goes, we thought it was going to be a hit, you know, we knew we had something, and then there's also the times when they go we had no idea, it was just an extra track.
Speaker 1: So but with Bleeding Love, I heard you.
Speaker 2: Say sort of at the beginning that you were like, I felt like I had something there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was it that you felt?
Speaker 2: Was it like, oh, the chords were really going together, or was it like a lyric turn that just really kind of made sense or all of it together?
Speaker 1: Like what was it that you went, oh, oh, yeah.
Speaker 4: I just didn't find a Look, I didn't think there was any like wasted lyrics or melody. Like it just felt very cohesive and like a beautiful song. You know, a lot of songs in pop especially, you can feel where writers sort of bail out, you know, and you get a lot of repetition or things that you just are there in this song to sort of, you know, keep it going. But the song had a really nice story. I thought it was very lyrically strong, strong, and yeah, and it was just a really pretty record. But again, like it just goes to show nobody knows, right because the label didn't see it, didn't hear it.
Speaker 1: And it's also how it's promoted. I mean, look at Murder on the Dance Floor. It came out years ago and now it's so huge. It's all about the time, all about who will support it, who's going to put in heavy rotation.
Speaker 4: I mean that's just what it Isn't that Jojo Siwah record, Because wasn't that like a song that was passed upon?
Speaker 1: But yeah, it was someone else's single in twenty eleven and it already came out, her.
Speaker 2: Song Karma, right, But yeah, you're right though, Lance, It's like there's timing, there's out for me.
Speaker 1: It just kind of all has to come together. A lot of times you're kind of told what to watch and listen to, especially back in my day. I CRL. It's like, here are the ten songs you have to like kids. It's from Corn to Limp Biscuit to Backstreet Bat Britney Spears. But you're kind of forced to like this now that there's so many different platforms TikTok, Facebook, YouTube, everything, everyone's kind of segmented and kind of you can find your own favorite music and you never hear it on the radio. And that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Now there's just so many outlets and there's so many more artists now that it's like it's good and bad. You have so many more opportunity to put yourself out there. But you're now against thousands or more thousands.
Speaker 1: And they's like, well, how do I break out? And I always tell like new artists especially, like don't worry about that. Focus on just doing the best you. Your fans will find you, and who cares if it's on the radio. If you have your fan base and they're coming to your shows and buying your music, that's all you need. That's what you're doing. Michael Jackson, so state like, just have your crowd and there you go. You have a career.
Speaker 4: Now it wants to be like radio really minted a song. You know, it's either it made her, it would make or break a song. And now it just seems like anything is possible. You have a viral moment that the Jojo song just needed incredible choreography, and then all of a sudden, you know it's a huge record. So it just depends on.
Speaker 1: Choreographer.
Speaker 3: Is one of the biggest choreographers he's Toddrick's choreographer. He's Lady Gaga's Richie Squirrel.
Speaker 1: This is Richie Squirrel. That's crazy And I don't know Richie. You know her famous little head banging seat. It's very Gaga with the arms and that.
Speaker 3: Like he did Bad Romance, he did all he did rain on me, all of those videos is the same quarreo.
Speaker 1: I can now see it. I can see it's Lady like a monster.
Speaker 2: But Jesse, you you started off in the kind of the old paradigm with the radio and that sort of thing, and I don't know if maybe you did chopping balls and stuff like that, like you had to.
Speaker 1: Do promo tour.
Speaker 2: There's still very much have a career and the new paradigm, and it is very much a new paradigm, like be able to make the transition not everybody is very hard and.
Speaker 4: I hated it and I kind of still do. But it is part of the new paradigm. Like you said, like you just have to figure out a way to adapt, and that's sort of how it's done now. And it's so much more work, as you guys all know. But you know that is you know, you got to play the game.
Speaker 1: No doubt. Let's talk a little about dream Street because I said, we had some of your boys on the show, and they kind of like, you know what, maybe we should get in the studio and they did, which was like fun. And we just saw them at the iHeart Awards and they're like, oh my god, we actually like because of the show, did this now you just brought them out on your show in New York.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what was that like? Well, they didn't come on stage, but they came backstage, and which was fun. They came to my New York show and yeah, we just sort of we had a reunion like a year ago, just on our own time. We went up to Montana and did like a ski trip together for about a year and they rented a house and went skiing, and we got to reconnect after literally a decade or more of really seeing each other. And our lives are so different now half of you know, half of them have multiple kids, and I think Greg is on his sixth kid now.
Speaker 1: But it's always it's kind of like it's kind of growing up with your cousins and then you all grow up and you don't really see your cousins that much much anymore. But then when you get back together, it's just amazing.
Speaker 4: And you we candel but they came to the New York show and we all had a few drinks or more backstage, and we ended up singing like some acapella and you know, reminiscing and doing a little dancing backstage for TikTok.
Speaker 1: You know, it's all. It's a TikTok world. We just live in it. What would you say, besides beautiful soul, what is your favorite? Actually, beautiful soul might not be your favorite sing I know it's the crowd favorite, probably like you got up singing the song, But what do you like to sing on stage? What is your favorite?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's always the new stuff, just selfishly right when you put out new music this last tour, I did you know we I did? I put out an EP earlier this year, and it's just such a to me. It's just great, great songwriting, and it's it was all. It was produced, you know, in in a studio with live instrumentation and a live band, which is something I haven't done in many, many years. So that stuff is super fun for me. But of course playing the hits, I feel like I've come full circle on beautiful soul. You know, there was a time where I was really annoyed playing that song. Yeah, just I mean, you know how that is. But the song is twenty years old this year, it's about to hit his twenty year anniversary, and now, like you play it and like young moms are in the audience with their five year old daughters singing the song, and there's like this whole new generation of kids that now know beautiful soul and.
Speaker 1: It holds up. It is a really solid.
Speaker 4: Song, and like, I think you forget that until till just now am I realizing, Oh, well, that's that song really has stood the test of time.
Speaker 2: And you see those new listeners vibe to it. I love it, and you're like, yeah, this song is a jam, it's nice song, is a good song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's cool. Twenty years.
Speaker 4: That's twenty years right now, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Well are we going to be seeing you on tour?
Speaker 4: So yeah, So I finished a tour this past spring and it was a big success. So we're going to go back out I think in October and do another fall leg. So I think I'm gonna tour October November all through the US and Canada. We're still like finalizing everything. But yeah, I think early October the tour will kick off. It's gonna be uh like part two, Part two of the All's Well tour. So we're doing that again this year and then hopefully run into next year and do something else, maybe next summer with another artist. Oh, I don't know if it's confirmed yet, but you know, I haven't done a lot of co headlining, but it would be fun to do that, you know. I do like touring. I mean it's a lot harder as you get older, but it is a lot of fun and it's nice to reconnect with the fans. And I just love performing live. It's my favorite aspect of the business. I grew up on stage and so I just feel like that's my my happy place, my safe place.
Speaker 1: My happy place is the bus. I love it. I love it on the bus YEP. Yeah, I sleep better. I just everything. I just love traveling. Do you but yeah, I do.
Speaker 4: My wife and dog came out, and love them both very much. But my dog is getting older and she just does not sleep, and we sleep in the back together and she has to be in the middle of us because she is separation anxiety. So I'm up every three hours.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no I could do that.
Speaker 4: She had to go home after the first.
Speaker 1: Two weeks, got to work. Yeah. Do you notice when you tour, is there a place in this country or around the world that you're like, this is my biggest fan base right here?
Speaker 4: Probably the East Coast because it's where it all started. I would say New York is uh kind of where it all started, you know, So New York, anywhere in the Tri state area, the Midwest is great, to Chicago, and you know anywhere in Michigan, Wisconsin, the South. It's funny. LA is probably my probably least.
Speaker 1: That's for every artist. It's the worst.
Speaker 4: It's just it's just but this last tour was great, like we you know, we sold out at the Wiltern. We're going to do it again, I think later this year. But it was. Yeah, there's definitely pockets of the country that are stronger than others.
Speaker 1: It's weird because La you can get the people there, it's just they're not as hyped as everyone else.
Speaker 4: And they show up two hours late.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I guess just got so much stuff. Yeah, but it's a lot of industry so that you know, the front two rows will be executive people were like, oh, come on now, I got to perform. The people sitting down the whole time so much energy.
Speaker 4: Van have like one hundred tickets too for your like friends, family agents and managers, and about half of them show, you know, and they had the excuse like, oh, we thought the show is tomorrow.
Speaker 2: They pull like the Larry David on you like, like I think Billy Joel or something like that. He's like, no, that that front two rows gott to be for he has does yeah, he has. I think he has his guys like go out and basically move fans up to fill in that row.
Speaker 1: Would yeah, because he has to do that. That's what you want to see all our guests. You're gonna sit at soundboard, come on, yeah, have fun with that. You're out there. You released your new EP, All's Well in April, congratulations, and it is said to have racy lyrics Jesse racy lyrics, and it has that familiar early Oughts pop sound. So tell us how much I love Someone made this quote? We have no idea. Someone said that. Someone said that, So tell us all about the new EP and how this came out. How long did it take you to do.
Speaker 4: This one probably about a year I was in you know, I was home. I was listening to a lot of like old school seventies yacht rocky kind of type move music, and listened to a lot of Hall and Oates and d Bars and just music.
Speaker 1: That I was by the pool back you just named it, and I.
Speaker 4: Just fell in love with just the live musicianship of that time in music, and I wanted to do that again, so I put I got a producer to put you know, really amazing band together, studio guys who've played on everything from Atlantis Morris At to John Mayer and some of like the best guys that play in the in the studio and wrote the songs, you know, and then went to the studio and arranged everything and had live horns, and it was just nice. It was nice to get back to like the roots that you don't hear a lot of that and pop music anymore. I feel like everything is programmed digitally. It just had this sort of you know, throwback feel to it that I love. And yeah, it's it's a great EP. And I wouldn't say it's racy, but it's certainly more you know, Yeah, yeah, it's it's you know it's it sounds like a thirty seven year old man's music.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, just having a horn section that you get to be like porn racy.
Speaker 1: It's like a word that my like racy lyrics. Anyway, Okay, sorry.
Speaker 2: I should I should the question.
Speaker 1: No, No, you have a.
Speaker 2: Big porn section that we shouldn't talk about, but you have a big horn section.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: But being able to like work with musicians like that and come up with a couple of like cool horn licks and all that kind of stuff. I mean that to me, that's like my dream. I would love to be able to do that, to work with a band and be like, what if you guys popped in right here should do it? Well, I'm not talking about me, but I'm about you. Was like, how much fun was that? Especially because you your roots are not necessarily working with a live band in right way. So yeah, talk a little bit about that or that process of working like really seasoned studio musicians.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's great. You know, you write, you write a song, and then you get to arrange it. You decide like, okay, we want horns in this section, and you know, I left a lot of that to the producer right to sort of help arrange those parts. But it's just so fun being in a room with other really really talented people who are at the you know, are the best of what they do, and you sort of leave it to them to bring their a game and help crystallize your vision, you know. And we recorded in Santa Monica at this record studio that I'm blanking on right now, but like legendary artists have played through there. Carol King actually stopped by at the session and gave her two cents to like the musicians, which was so funny. She's no slouch, She's no slouch, and like all musicians were freaking out, you know, and she's she's up there saying, hey, maybe uh play a little less drum fill on this?
Speaker 1: You want me to put my sticks down?
Speaker 4: No, it's just it's just such a great process, and it made it fun for me again.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It was like this reinvigorated my love for music for sure.
Speaker 1: Have you seen her Broadway show Beautiful?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh it's so good.
Speaker 4: She's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was really really good. Uh, your album departure? Are you going to be highlighting that album at all? On the upcoming tour.
Speaker 4: I mean, I definitely play a lot of those songs Leavin. Obviously, body Language is probably one of my favorites to play live. I did that with Tea Pain back in like two thousand. Te Pain is the best. That's probably one of my favorite songs. I love that album and that was sort of that album too, is when we kind of made the shift from like really traditional pop, like beautiful soul to a slightly more rhythmic, urban sounding album and worked with you know, Tea Pain and Ludacris and Sean Garrett and kind of went down that path a little bit and you started hearing more R and B tones to the to the music and yeah, it's that's that record is There's so many good ones on that album. But for sure I'll be playing a lot of the songs I always I never deprived fans from the hit songs like you can't do that on tour. There's nothing more frustrating and washing an artists play.
Speaker 1: All of his and nothing just song to play the one you're really waiting for. Come on, I had to wait an hour and a half for that. Yeah, right, who what is your new artist? Right now that you're you have your eye On.
Speaker 4: There's a band called Lawrence. They love Lawrence. Yeah, Yeah, they're incredible. They're they're out of New York, I believe, Uh Gracie and and her brother, yeah, Clyde, and they're just super super talents, like they are real musicians. And Clyde is just he reminds me of like a young like Michael McDonald. There's something he's got, this amazing raspy voice.
Speaker 2: I am a massive band too that goes on tour with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They opened for like the Jonas Brothers a couple of years ago, and they sort of organically built this fan base. They're playing like Radio City by themselves in New York, which is amazing. And I think I'm going to go out and work with them in August this year and do some writing with them. We're trying to put that together just because literally I hit them up on Instagram was like, hey, I am obsessed with you guys. I love your music.
Speaker 1: They got like a pop funk, soul kind of thing.
Speaker 4: So fairly yeah, and I think it's really important to have that for this generation where I think it's lacking. Quite frankly, it's so much heart.
Speaker 1: How great is it as an artist that you can reach people that you want to read through a DM.
Speaker 4: These days it's the best. I mean, it's it's you truly can skip so many different steps. Now you don't have to call the PR team or the managers or like the deal with all the emails back and forth. You can just literally hit them up and if they're into it, they hate you back, and if not, they leave you on red.
Speaker 1: What's her name that I'm loving right now? The rowans that's a meteor Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 4: But I love Zach Bryan who yeh, super talent.
Speaker 1: You know what. I'd love to hear you do. And Ryan just did this recently with maybe David Getta maybe is that who we just did it with or it was. I want to hear you get with Caigo yeah, yeah, and do some amazing like dance hit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to hear this in clubs. I want an M version of it. I think you would kill it interesting.
Speaker 4: And Carol g they sampled the Bleeding Love and did a song called I Think Yeah, but yeah, it would be super fun to work in an E d M environment. I've never really done that. That would be fun.
Speaker 1: It would be fun. I would love I mean, I think it would have been fun if and Sync would have done that with But back in you know, I keep saying it, back in our day, DJ's really weren't a thing. I mean, it wasn't it, and that.
Speaker 2: Music was considered more like circuit and techno and that sort of thing. It it wasn't mainstream, and it hadn't found its way into this sort of where so lyrical. Now there's there's so much more lyric there's so much more melody and am I saying to I mean, back then it was just.
Speaker 1: The actual music. It wasn't really like a lot of collapse and we weren't going to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but no that that that would be very cool if you climbed into that world a little bit. I feel like you could go a lot of different places. I mean, the Lawrence is not a surprise to me because you you're such a great singer and you're a great songwriter, and I feel like you could fit in that so beautifully.
Speaker 1: But I think there's a lot of places you could play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, oh, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, that is all the show we have for you for this part of the episode, because it's a two for we love a twofer. Well, we have a great guest. I love to talk. We love talking to them. It's a two for. We're gonna continue this interview on the next episode, which is going to launch in just a few days, so just keep you know, keep watching, subscribe to our Instagram account. That's how we love talking to you guys. Dm us any ideas, you got, any kind of comments, any questions you have, just dm us on the Frosted Tips with Lance Instagram page. All right, to be good to each other, don't drink a drive, take care of those animals, and we will see you on the next episode of Our Twofer with Jesse McCartney very soon. And remember stay frosted. Hey, thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at Frosted Tips with Lance and Michael Turzenart and at Lance Bass for all your pop culture needs
Speaker 3: And make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars six if you can see you next time.