Speaker 1: Welcome in Tumble Bears Weekly, a Chicago Bears Network production download the Chicago Bears official at brought to you by Verizon to follow the team on the go. Bears Weekly is brought you by African Healthcare, Athletico Physical Therapy, Bet Rivers, CD Dolling, Connie's Pizza by Gens Energy, and Miller LIKEE Kira. Your hosts Jeff Chioniak, aka the Mayor of Bearsville, and his sidekick Term the Surfmaster.
Speaker 2: There we're at the NFL Owners meetings in Orlando, Florida. Welcome into a Monday edition of Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network with my broadcast partner Tom Pair, the Super Bowl winning Bears guard, and Jim Miller, the former Bears quarterback. He is serious x MNFL radios moving the chains. You can catch him every afternoon along with Pat Kerwin and he's he's I'm in a hotel Tom outside of the expensive zone where the the JW. Marriatt and the Ritz Carlton. I'm just you know, a little guy down the road. And Jim is right there on Radio Row in Orlando and kind enough to take some time today. So yeah, and Tom, you're you're at home.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, I'm at home. I'm still aware of everything. I'm not don't have the luxury of going to Splash Mountain later like you probably do. And Jim is he was worked seven days a week. So you know, it seems like this is when the NFL season starts, a serious kind of you know, rolling downhill towards the season, whether it's rule changes. You know that some of the pro days have already taken place. You kind of understand how what's happening in the draft and how it may unfold at the top part of it. So just another step in the NFL season.
Speaker 4: You see what what Jeff left out though, Tom, Yes, I am at the JW. Marriott. Jeff completely left out that he's at the Ritz Carlton is where he's at.
Speaker 2: I I'm not at the Rich Carlton. But I'll tell you what they do put on a great show, don't they.
Speaker 5: The NFL.
Speaker 2: I mean, the owners and their families are here obviously, and it's a lot of work going on, and of course the Bears are at the center of the universe again and Ryan Poles and high demand for interviews. I met with Matt eber Fluse. You'll hear that coming up on Bears Etc. This week with Tom and myself On Wednesday, the release of that episode number sixty one. Check it out on the Bears platforms or wherever you get your podcasts. But it's also a little time to get reacquainted with the other members of the NFL. And there's always some social aspects, golf, you name it, a lot of things going on here, but there's also the serious business of taking stock of your roster, taking stock and giving the opinions of what happened to the media, and then also looking ahead to rules changes, and we clearly focused on that. We're going to get into that as well as today with a one on one interview I was able to do with general manager Ryan Poles. We'll be hearing that on our next segment. Also thanks to Jack McGrath and Sean Grandy, our producers, our Bears producers Dan Burrilly and Jordan Tread up a lot of discussion about what the Bears did at quarterback. I'm going to start with Tom and move to Jim. The reasons why are many tiered, but not the least of which from Ryan Poles as well. Hear in our interview is that this was a business decision in terms of the cliche of resetting the clock on the quarterback, and that salary structure for five years gives them some runway to as their research has learned, this is when you can strike if you've got already good things in place, which the Bears do.
Speaker 5: This could be a monumental gold moment.
Speaker 2: For the Bears, leaning towards obviously Caleb Williams, but doing their due diligence now of the other quarterbacks, you know, I have a lot.
Speaker 3: Of respect for Ryan Poles and the work that he had to put in because you're talking more than just one quarterback and Caleb Williams or Daniels and Drake May So you know, Ryan had to do a lot of investigative work when you're talking about considering the most important position of all professional sports, and you you know, if you have the opportunity to make an organization changing play, you know, Ryan's got to do it. And it's unfortunate because I think we've all said how we feel about Justin Fields and the type of person he is. However, when you're looking at the ultimate goal for the Chicago Bears, and that's winning a.
Speaker 6: Division to go to the super Bowl.
Speaker 3: You have to take all that into consideration when you're making this difficult of a decision.
Speaker 4: I think the process is just starting. Obviously, he's had, you know, the three days that they spent with Caleb Williams out there at the USC Pro Day, and it's just a get to know process. I don't think it's set in stone yet. That is just anointed that'll be Caleb Williams. I think they're going to continue to do their due diligence on Jayden Daniels. He is a five year starter who's played better every single year that he's played in college, and I would think Drake may as well. They need to do their due diligence on him as well, not only just for this pick alone, but potentially a landscape in the future. I think we know quarterbacks. This quarterback carousel has moved pretty fluidly here this offseason. Justin was a part of that move as well, kind of cleared the deck for the Bears to make this selection at number one, and I think we all know they'd be not doing justice to themselves if they didn't do all their due diligence on all the top quarterbacks that are coming out. I know it looks like Caleb Williams is anointed, but I wouldn't ignore those other two quarterbacks either.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's the case.
Speaker 2: Tommy Ryan has headed right from here from Orlando to Baton Rouge to take a look at Jayden Daniels. And I know there's even a ton of talk at the AFC breakfast this morning, and those people don't know it. Every coach is available to the media all at one time on these big round tables and there's a lot of media here and Jim, I want you to talk about that in a second too. But Tommy, it's a lot of conversation about quarterbacks, the whole things about quarterbacks, and even Pittsburgh and Mike Tomlin and man we respect said in his opinion, the reason they went and got justin Field they feel there's a lot of meat left on the bone. And that's a you know, only only the way Mike Tomlin can say it for him, and I think we'd all agree. But this is this is a continuing process and the entire conversation, the entire conversation is about quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Want to think about it, you know, you think about it, Jeff. You think of you got two guys that are approaching one of you know, right, Aaron Rodgers Kirk Cousins. They both tear their achilles and look at the amount of money that they're going to make for each of their teams. You look at the amount of money that Russell Wilson's gonna make from the Denver Broncos, and he's not playing for the Denver Broncos. He's moved down to the Pittsburgh Steelers. You have a guy that's twenty five years old, like Justin Fields, and he's moving on before he gets into his second contract. You talk about the success of Patrick Mahomes over the years, then you got your Josh Allen's and Justin Herberts. Why isn't the quarterback as much of a topic of conversation? And then you think what the Dallas Cowboys are going through with Dak Prescott. So it's a topic that's never going to lead the forefront of the NFL. And then you talk about the talent group that's coming in out of college. They have a first tier group of guys and then they have a second tier group of guys that could be equally as talented in the long run of their career. So I don't think this is a conversation that's ever going to go away. And no matter if you're asking a guy like Andy Reid to Mike Tomlin to Matt Eberflus, it's first on a lot of press people's minds, and that's the first question they get asked. You know.
Speaker 5: The fact is, and I think I mentioned this last week.
Speaker 2: Maybe I didn't, Jim, you were on the show late last week, but there are only six quarterbacks in the league that have won a Super Bowl. So that class of twenty one quarterbacks, of which Justin was a part of, they're all in different places except for the kid in Jacksonville, right, I mean, And then they're calling, there's talk and I don't know, Jim, can you even attach this as almost sacrilegious to say, the eighty three draft of quarterbacks, they're calling this crop of quarterbacks similar to that crop. You got some Hall of famers over there in eighty three. So I don't, I mean, are we leaping too far?
Speaker 4: Well, and think about that, Dan Marino was the last quarterback taken in that draft of that class of eighty three. You know, it's interesting that Jim Harball can make that statement because they've got Justin Herbert, so he can make a statement like that that he is, you know, trying to promote McCarthy, and we all get that and what he's trying to do. But they do. They drive drafts, and they wouldn't be shocked if a team takes a flyer on bo Nicks out of Oregon. You know, he's kind of shooting up as well that maybe he could be the last quarterback taken in this year's draft, potentially in the first round.
Speaker 2: He isn't looking feeling to me of a Denver guy because of Sean Payton.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe, all right, we're gonna take our first break. Tom holds your thought. I know you got plenty coming, and so do we. We got the general manager of the Chicago Bears are exclusive one on one en if you're coming up next here on Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Bears Weekly with the voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff Jonyak on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 7: Welcome back to Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network. Jeff Joniac with the general manager of the Chicago Bears, the very busy Ryan Poles. That's the case in every offseason, but this one I think probably tops it all.
Speaker 6: Would you agree, Yeah, I would agree.
Speaker 8: There's a lot going on, but it's been a fun ride so far.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can you take us into that world, pull the curtain aside a little bit. What's it been like and how have you guys put everything into context into how you're going to attack this?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think the big thing right now is we're just excited that we're adding some really good players football team using for agency trades, but also you know, even extended Jalen Johnson, who's a key member of our team and some we're going to look up to in terms of our leadership.
Speaker 2: So let's start with JJ because that secondary is popping right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I think we've been real clear.
Speaker 8: You know, the guys that we pay and extend to be here for a long period of time, we expect that leadership.
Speaker 6: Hard to be a part of their role. It's been really cool process.
Speaker 8: I've seen Jalen grow as a human being but also grow as a leadership along the way.
Speaker 6: So the timing's.
Speaker 8: Perfect and I know he'll continue to improve himself but also bring others along with him, which.
Speaker 6: You know I watched him do with with Hyerd Stevenson last year.
Speaker 2: All Right, tell us about free agency, because we know you're a draft driven general manager.
Speaker 9: You're you're trying.
Speaker 2: To stick to that, but there's players that are necessary at the time you continue to stack these years of building this football team. And so you went out and got a bunch of guys offensive lineman, safety, obviously, the running back DeAndre Swift and the trade of Keenant.
Speaker 9: There's a lot there.
Speaker 2: Kind of take it in pieces a little bit what your plan was and did.
Speaker 9: You did you get what you wanted?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we did, and probably even more.
Speaker 8: You know, we want to be opportunistic when when certain situations pop up.
Speaker 6: We always want to have the flexibility to be able to capitalize on it. And that really is because we've been disciplined along the way.
Speaker 8: So really kicking it off with you know, DeAndre Swift, Uh, some of that's going to allow us to be versatile, great mismatches all over the field.
Speaker 6: I'm really excited to add him.
Speaker 8: Gerald Everett Uh and Keenan Allen are two guys in the passing game. They're going to allow us to be dynamic and continue to improve our offense and put more points on the board, which we all know is is really important to win championships. And on the defensive side, you know, we talked about Kevin Byron. He's a guy that has had a ton of production on ball production and again, his leadership, his experience in this league is is really going to allow Brisker to improve himself.
Speaker 6: So these guys are going to be multipliers.
Speaker 8: That's what we were looking for, impact players that can multiply multipliers on our team and allow us to take the next step.
Speaker 9: Let's talk about the traded justin fields.
Speaker 2: So I was out and about on Saturday during Saint Patty's weekend and bam, it hits. Every Bears fan walking around had an opinion, you know, and that's that's kind of what you anticipated, right. The opinions are on either end of the spectrum, But what matters most is how you feel this helps the football team moving forward. How difficult was it and if you can explain how it all unfolded.
Speaker 8: Yeah, one of the more difficult things I've had to do here, and I think it makes it really really hard because of the type of man Justin Fields is. But I knew taking this job that when you're in position of leadership and you're in charge of getting this team.
Speaker 6: To where it needs to go, you got to make hard decisions.
Speaker 8: So that's what we had to do, and we felt was going to be right for the Chicago Bears to move forward. I think the narrative of Justin versus another person is a little bit off. It's more of the timeline that we had with Justin on a rookie contract that really enables us to continue to have resources.
Speaker 6: And grow as a football team is really the focal point there.
Speaker 8: But absolutely one of the hardest things I had to do, even going home and tell my son that was not an easy thing to do. Justin's jerseys on our wall framed in our home because of how I feel about about Justin, so really hard thing to do. But I truly believe this is the right thing for us and it's going to set us up to be really successful as we move forward.
Speaker 2: So when you make that call or I don't know how you did it, what's that conversation like with Justin And unless you want to keep that private between you, and him.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'll keep the context of the private, but it was important for both Flus and I had to make that call together. I actually want to coach his house, and we made that phone call together.
Speaker 6: We just want to make sure he knew.
Speaker 8: How much we appreciated him and just give him some reasoning by behind it. And he has some very kind things to say about the organization and about the leadership and our building as well, and we wished him luck as he was moving forward. I think the key thing too is I said that at the combine, we want to do right by Justin, put him in a good situation, and I really believe we were able to do that.
Speaker 2: So I was one that said, hey, whe Apple, you know, just see how it all plays out.
Speaker 9: Have competition. Was that ever a consideration?
Speaker 8: Yeah, we really were through every situation because again, it wasn't easy to move on from Justin. I know the impact that it has in the locker room, I know the impact he has with our fan base.
Speaker 6: But as we talked through.
Speaker 8: It, we didn't think it was going to be a healthy situation for a young quarterback to get up and get started.
Speaker 6: We didn't think it would be fair to Justin so really to kind of have.
Speaker 8: A fresh start on both sides we thought was going to be best and allow whoever comes in here to be the quarterback that Chicago Bears allowed them to really have the opportunity, a true opportunity to win his teammates over and again, take the next step and grow.
Speaker 2: Well, the Bears are going to get a quarterback now, the question is who.
Speaker 9: And you know, the first.
Speaker 2: Step in the process, obviously was the USC pro day in Caleb Williams. What struck you about your conversations with him over the several days that you were there Forget about the on field work for a minute, because you know, those pro days are what they are, and he was fantastic.
Speaker 6: He was. He was very good.
Speaker 2: But just as you said, looking a guy in the eye and getting to know the guy and.
Speaker 8: What he's all about, Yeah, just his background, what he believes in, you know, all the way down to his hobbies, what does he enjoy doing, leadership style, good conversation to go through you know, adversity and.
Speaker 6: On the other side of that, have tremendous success at a young age. How did he deal with that?
Speaker 8: So we really wanted to get a full understanding of who he is and as a man, and who does he want to become and what what things does he want to achieve, both on an individual basis but also from a team perspective. So we continue to get information and again create clarity as we move forward, but very effective and productive visit out to l A.
Speaker 2: And I'm assuming he'll be at Hallis Saw soon And will you continue.
Speaker 9: To vet all the quarterbacks?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yep, So I'm actually gonna leave here from Orlando. We're gonna go to L s U to kind of finish up our pro day journey at least for for coach Flus and myself, and then we'll head back and continue to do film work on all the guys. And uh, yeah, we want to turn every every stone and make sure we're making the right decision on all the draft picks. But we're gonna do a thorough job of that and make sure we're we're on the right page.
Speaker 9: All right? So having one and nine, are you getting calls?
Speaker 6: It's uh, I.
Speaker 8: Have I've gotten I've had some conversations I have, but just not ready to kind of go there right now.
Speaker 2: Do you feel you're in a fantastic position though of strength now? I know, just four draft picks right now after all the moves, but you still feel that you can get outside from the quarterback some players here that will make instant impact based on your draft slots.
Speaker 8: I do, My entire scouting staff are our front office.
Speaker 6: We're really really excited about.
Speaker 8: The opportunity that we have and the type of players that we can add to our roster. The cool thing is is you look at our roster, it's going to become harder and harder for guys to make our team, and that that means we're getting better. That means our roster is getting more competitive. And I know the more competitive your roster is, the better team that you have. So we're excited about the opportunity we have. And again, you know, I just as I look forward, I get really excited about who.
Speaker 6: This team and become.
Speaker 2: You folks can't see it, but the man is smiling, So yes, he knows, he knows what he's got going on.
Speaker 9: Ask a couple of questions.
Speaker 2: Do you feel free agency for you is on pause? Will there be more things you're interested in potential?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's on pause for right now.
Speaker 8: Obviously we're always gonna, you know, keep very to the ground and stay opportunistic. But from a spending side of things, you know that's gonna slow down significantly.
Speaker 6: You know we're gonna start shifting over to the draft and make sure that we make some really good decisions here In April.
Speaker 2: Got to go back to Keenan Allen had an opportunity to sit with him and talk and as blown away, I mean, the guy's done just about everything you can imagine. But it's a first time in a new new team, new city, and he shows up in Bear's gear. I don't know if that was planned. I don't know what the story is there. But were you surprised he was there?
Speaker 9: Number one? Or was he invited to be there? Number two? And what did that mean to you to see him there at you less?
Speaker 8: No, there was no request for him to be there. He knew we were going to be out there, He knew about the pro day on his own, and he made that decision, which he can speaks, you know, volumes on who he is as a person, how much he loves this game, and how how much he wants to be successful.
Speaker 6: So that blew me away as well.
Speaker 8: And I certainly didn't tell him what closed away either, And he came representing in the in the in.
Speaker 6: The blue and orange, which was which is cool to see, and.
Speaker 8: That got me excited that that just was confirmation I already knew, but I had an extra confirmation that he's exactly who we thought he was going to be again at leadership, the experience of wisdom that he has with his game. You know, we are we are going to have a young quarterback uh in the building, and he's a guy that can just really share a lot of really good information to allow that player to be successful.
Speaker 9: Third year, you have dudes on this team.
Speaker 2: Now, I agree, like this team is.
Speaker 9: Is coming together here.
Speaker 2: I know there's always going to be things you want to add, perceived holes, whatever the outside world may think. You may think different, the strengths of this team. You may think different as you look at this roster and penciling in in your mind who the quarterback will be. In addition to that, how would you put it into context for us?
Speaker 8: Because we've been really fortunate with some really unique situations with draft picks, because we've been disciplined with our spending, and you know, we kind of took it on the chin and you're one to clean that up for where we sit right now, I'll be honest with be succeeded by wild the streams in terms of really getting this roster into championship form.
Speaker 6: And I truly believe that.
Speaker 8: I mean, we push each other to make sure that we're doing right by the roster, right by the organization, and that we continue to have talent to win championships. So really proud of how far we've come. But at the same time, you know, I think I sid this last year. It's on paper. I know it's better, but it's on paper. It's got to come together. But this is a little bit different because I think we have continuity now and I think we have guys that are going to continue to make each other better. I mean, I got the linebackers and dbs flying out to LA to work out with each other.
Speaker 6: You know, you got offensive guys talking with each other.
Speaker 8: You got vets that are just traded showing up at college pro days.
Speaker 6: The character of this team is special. And again it's on paper.
Speaker 8: It's got to come together when we play games, and it's got a result in wins.
Speaker 6: But it's definitely something I'm proud of.
Speaker 2: One last obscure question, should the NFL Competition Committee pass the new kickoff rule?
Speaker 9: Will that alter how you.
Speaker 2: Now look again at special teams, coverage return, all of that?
Speaker 9: Does that factor in as you look forward here?
Speaker 8: Absolutely, you know, anything to make the game exciting as well as safe.
Speaker 6: I think it's important of the game. And you know, we'll see how the boats go and if it gets passed. But absolutely it's been on my mind.
Speaker 8: All day today is you know what changes we need to make to make sure that we're effective and efficient on the kickoff if it does change, So there are going to be some roster implications that we've got to plan for. And I kind of texted my guys earlier today just saying, if this goes by, we're gonna have to have some meetings and think of things a little bit differently again so that we are top notch on special teams as well.
Speaker 9: But thank you as always appreciate it absolutely.
Speaker 2: As Bears gentle manager Ryan pulls back with Tom There and Jamiller after this break on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Excuse Bears Weekly with a point of the Bears for twenty three years Joy on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: This segment of Bears Weekly is brought to you by IGS Energy, and if you want VIP access including your exclusive seatings ank cred interest in more to every Bears home game next season, join the wait list to get the ultimate VIP fan package in twenty twenty four by visiting Chicago Bears vip dot Com. Jeffy Only actent Fair with Jim Metal from Serious XMNML Radios.
Speaker 5: Moving that changed. It looks like you have something significant.
Speaker 3: Well it Jim started it. The eighty three draft was my draft, and so I went to the combine with all these guys, and you look at John Elway at number one. Then they decided Todd Blackledge was the next best quarterback at number seven, and then Jim Kelly fourteen, Tony Easton fifteen, Ken O'Brien twenty four, Dan Marino twenty seven. So if you think that this has become a more educated science since nineteen eighty three, it really hasn't. So I think this year's draft is equally as complicated in the decision making process as that eighty three. And that's just the first round, Cause you're going to have a good quarterback somewhere in this draft that's picked in the third or fourth round that's going to come out here and have a really good NFL career. So when I I just dwell on the eight three draft because I was there and I saw those guys at the Combines and I played in All Star Games with them, and then to shockingly see how these guys went out and did their evaluations were so specific about the different things that the criteria they were looking at behind the scenes, and that's and that's what happened. I just, uh, I think in two years when we're doing this show again, it'll be interesting to go over this year's draft and see what happens.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: You know, the one thing the cautionary break is, and Ryan Polls indicated this this morning with the local Chicago media, is that you know, expectations are going to be zooming. Because everybody's saying, and Ryan is equally agrees, like the Bears have a unique setup going on. They've got talent, They're coming off a seven win season, not a one or two win season. They've got a culture established, they got continuity now and every year three they've been building to this. And just because you're going to draft a kid number one overall doesn't mean this team is ready to immediate. There's going to be bumps in the road. It's going to be a young quarterback. They're gonna have some things they got to work through and some adjustments. And the coaching staff has been put together in such a way that almost every base is covered here. I mean, they are putting all resources to make it as not easy as possible, but as comfortable as possible to learn this job, which is so difficult. And in a city like Chicago, where the media attention is insane and the expectation from a fan base that is thirsty, you know, they've made it as a nice a transition as you possible could imagine for a young quarterback. That doesn't mean it's going to be simple at all, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's gonna take time. I think we know that none of these quarterbacks, you know, are you know, one hundred percent, you know, clear shots that they're going to be stars. They've all had flaws. It's going to take time. You got to be patient with them. But I agree with you, Jeff. I think they're they're trying to insulate a young quarterback as much as they can. When you make a trade for Keenan Allen typically when you've got a young quarterback, you put the veterans around the young quarterback to insulate them. You've got that with Dj Moore. Oh come at uh Keenan Allen who they just added. You just added a veteran running back in DeAndre Spliff. So I think they're they're trying to, you know, make the plate as full as it can to insulate a young quarterback. But there's always gonna be growing pains. I think we understand that it's another level of play. It's not college football anymore, and these young quarterbacks are gonna have to learn that and that that just takes time, and hopefully the the patients will be there, not only from the fan base, but I think from the organization to really bring along a young quarterback the right way.
Speaker 3: I think they get a bit an understanding of how much information that can put on the plate of a young quarterback when they go through meetings and take it out into OTAs. It'd be different if during that eighty three draft, when you went from the draft to live training camp. I don't think quarterbacks were really given the opportunity to really have a lot of that information sync in where they try to go and make use of it in full padded practices almost immediately. So I think Shane Waldron and his offensive staff and having the opportunity to mentally get these quarterbacks prepared so they can be at their most confidence confident when training camp begins. I think that'll be interesting for everybody to see because there's going to be an unbelievable group of press out there at every open opportunity Bears practice just to watch and see the development of an offense and how it fits a new quarterback.
Speaker 2: So, as you're heard in our interview Ryan, it was very difficult for him in the end to make the move because of the person Justin Fields is, and Justin was very gracious about it in his departure, also working with coach Eberflus closely on this getting players involved. They reached out to certain players to let them know what their plan was, and the players were flattered by that that they weren't, you know, informed of this just because of how they felt, guys like Cole Comett and some others. And then you know, now now the job is not done. Job is not done, but Ryan trying to do everything and not make make sure every stone is unturned. So there's no second second thought, you know, you just you're gonna whenever the decision's made. He said that he's not there yet, and you just got to keep grinding it out and making sure everybody takes a look at everything. And it's not just about the quarterback position. They have three other picks at the moment that they have to do the same due diligence on and they are you know what's interesting to me, guys. He talked a lot about so as they have scouts do their thing, and they've had the most eyes on these guys for the longest period of time. Now the coach is getting into it, and if something doesn't match up movement wise from the combine or a pro day workout, they're tasked now if they like a player to go back and figure out was that just a moment in time where something didn't look right, or is this something that can't be fixed, or can we work with a guy like this. The depth of this process is not just Okay, I love that player because I want to. You know, you always go to the game tape. The game tape tells the story, right, but there is more to it than that, and they're really going deep on this stuff because again, you have number nine. We can't forget they have the number nine pick. That's going to be the most important pick no matter what it is.
Speaker 3: You know, medical evaluation still is an important part of this because you have to make sure that if you're gonna go and take a quarterback or one or whomever you're considering at number nine, that these guys are healthy. Again, just a quick story. In nineteen eighty three, Don mosebar knew he needed a back operation, but he didn't tell anybody. So when teams would come to USC and meet with them, he would be sitting in a hot tub and he would have an interview there, not telling them the whole time that he already had his back operated on. So then the Raiders go and take him in the first round, and then after the draft he says, oh, by the way, I had my back operated on, so I'm not going to be ready to go. So that's just past examples of the history or that Jim and I have been around. But again, I still think you have to understand how important that part of the evaluation process is.
Speaker 4: Luke can Ellis is here the big loop. So I just thought I did the big wigs have come to town just to let you guys know you want to show your face.
Speaker 2: Look, yeah, he's interrupting our show. He's what he's doing. He's interrupted our show. He's killed on our flow right now. But Jim, you know that. Yeah, Tom's point is well taken, and you know expected that in one of the visits. Cable will be there first week of April up at house Althoy'll take care of that then, and they're not expected is to find anything out of the ordinary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, yeah, because it is a big part of it. I mean, yeah, I think the only thing he's had is a hamstring in his past. But you know, you got to do your due diligence. You know, he didn't take the physical at the combine, and I think we know anybody that signs a contract, the first thing that you're going to have to do is go through a physical in order for it to have approval. And so all those things will happen in due course and over this process. Because I think you bring up a good point, Jeff, at that number nine spot that could be a coveted place for the Bears to potentially trade down for all the reasons we mentioned earlier that slot because if you look at the teams behind the Bears at ninth, Minnesota at eleven obviously could take a quarterback, they could trade up, and it could be a coveted spot where the Bears could trade down or stay. Denver maybe those two teams, because Denver selects right after Minnesota that those two teams could be jockey and with the Bears to get up to potentially take the quarterback, because I think that's about the right time frame that he could possibly go and the Bears could be in a good spot to get trade down, get a more haul of picks, and complete the process of what they're trying to do to fill out the.
Speaker 2: Roster with tamp there, I'm Jeff Joniak and Jim Miller Fact with more here on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Bears Weekly with a voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff Jonyadik on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: This segment of Bears Weekly brought to you by I bet to go visit a therapy visit. I thought I could not condar a question in clinic or virtual appointment and start feeling better tomorrow Jeff and Tom and Jim Miller from the NFL owners meetings in Orlando.
Speaker 5: Let's take a look at the roster.
Speaker 2: Some things that Ryan Poles says as well, you know, offensive line. I asked him about, you know, the the reasons for coming up with a bunch of veteran offensive linemen. He just felt that that's an area where he never felt comfortable and that Ryan Bates is going to start out at the center position, and that's where the competition would begin at the center position. Of course, they also have other options there the draft included, but Coleman Shelton, the veteran they got in seventh year man out of Washington, and compete for that position as well.
Speaker 5: And I know this is music to your ears, Tom as.
Speaker 2: Money offensive lineman, as you can get in there that can compete and get the best eight or nine guys that you're gonna go to war with every week.
Speaker 3: It is. You know, I'd like to see these new guys come aboard. You know, I think it's an upbrade on paper. We'll have to see those in performance. But you know, Jeff, I still have concerns about Nate Davis and Tevin Jenkins because as much as I think Nate Davis is a heck of a player and I think Tevin Jenkins has the ability to be one of the best guards in the division, it's about being there every day. When you think of the conclusion at training camp last year when Tevin Jenkins pulled his calves and then Nate Davis didn't practice at all in training camp, this group needs to be together for a thousand reps with a new quarterback and a new center. Before that, you think you're going to be ready for a week one of the regular season. So as much as we're enamored with some of the resumes of these new guys that are coming aboard, I have as much concern for the guys that are already there to make sure that they live up to their billing. Because they are they're highly thought of. But if they play up to their standards, Chris Morgan could develop one of the best offensive lines in the division.
Speaker 4: Again, I think that's at the position of nine, where if the Bears trade down, that's when the tackles are going to start to go. You know, if the Bears want to say, draft a left tackle and have bookend tackles with Darnell Wright or you've got two really good centers that are coming out. Obviously, you look at Jackson Powers Johnson out of Oregon and don't forget about Braham Barton out of Duke. This guy is a very versatile player. Everybody projects him as a center, but he's played both guard and he's played both tackle positions. And the guy stepped in right away at Duke as a true freshman and went against Alee McNeil from North Carolina. And this kid's a really good player if you do want to And it's I know, it's not a sexy pick when you take, say a center in the first round, but it's been a solid pick over time. Look at Travis Frederick when he was drafted first round by the Cowboys. He's an All Pro player, you know. You look at Nick Mangle when he was drafted first round out of Ohio State by the New York Jets. I mean, that guy is a borderline Hall of Famer. So I do think it's a you know, offensive line typically, as Tom mentioned, with the continuity, that's really if you're going to work in the trenches. That's where a team is really going to go. If they're big upfront and on the offensive line.
Speaker 3: You know, Jim and Jeff. I want a guy on the offensive line that drafted for what he is. I don't want to, oh, I think this guard can play tackle, or I think this right tackle can play left tackle, or you know, some type of an experiment player. I want a guy that has thousands of reps of evidence that the coaches and the scouts have already looked at to know that look, when he's inserted at that position, he's a ready to go type of guy. And kind of that's the unique things about an offensive lineman. It's not a three technique defensive tackle moving up and down the line of scrimmage, or a pass rushing capable defensive end. If you're a guard, you're a guard. If you're a center, your your skills show that. So when you go out and you evaluate these players, bring me what they are. Don't bring me an experiment during training camp to see if I can develop them to that position. And then if they don't, then you have a glut of players at one position. Now your glass is overfilled.
Speaker 2: What about the tweeners, Because last year so many tackles that were drafted, many moved to guard.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think a Scarronsky is one of them.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's his permanent position, but if is that off the table for you, Tommy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is, Jeff only because look, you know, Tevin Jenkins was brought in here to be an immediate starting left tackle at an NFL level, and he really didn't play there, but he is. He's a really good offensive guard. So if you're gonna bring me a tweener that all of a sudden doesn't have the length, the footwork, the balance to work out a tackle, and now we got seven guards in two tackles, you know, so bring me the guy that has that length that is specific to a tackle. Give me that guy that's lived in a left handed stance if he's gonna play left tackle. That's what I'm saying. Don't bring me in experiments, bring me a bona fide guy.
Speaker 5: Jim, where are you at on that?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I think you know you can play with certain players and you can move them around. I mean, that's Tom's point about Jenkins. You know, he's kind of had to bounce around and now he's found a home that guard. You know, I think when you go into this draft, like j C. Latham from Alabama. He's a right tackle. That's what he is going to be in the National Football League. Now look at Olu Fashionu out of Penn State. To me, he's strictly a left tackle. And if that's what you want to you know, these are plug and play players. Just how Darnell Wright was specifically targeted for right tackle. I think that's the direction Ryan Poles wants to go. And for all the reasons that Tom said they don't want an experiment, I think they want to plug and play player that they know will be at the position that they're going to sele ut don.
Speaker 2: This is why I could never ever even dream of being in this position of like, oh, if it's a I want to be a general manager on a billion dollar enterprise, because I'm at number nine and I've literally, in the last couple of weeks had a couple of nights thinking about what I would do, and I don't know what to do because the crop of tackles are so good and if you get the guy out of that bunch, Like, how do you pass on a ten year tackle? You know, the Bears haven't had one since Jimbo Covert. Uh, you man, But boy, I'll tell you these receivers man Roma Duneesa fit, he'd be an unbelievable fit. He's definitely gonna go in the top ten.
Speaker 5: Do I keep it? Or you know what, I gotta have an edge rusher.
Speaker 2: I gotta complete this defense somehow, because where am I getting this?
Speaker 3: So what do you like?
Speaker 4: What do you do?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Have you guys gone through this exercise and think you got not just for fantasy football sakes or a mock draft, Like what is the absolute best decision for the Bears at number nine? Just saying they keep it? Like out of those three spots, like, what do you do?
Speaker 3: First? Thing? I would just take in consideration what position am I most desperate in need of? And is that a complimentary defensive end across from Montes sweep that helps the interior of your line play better, But now it gives you a lack of focal point for the opponent you're playing and give more one on ones to the outside. If you think that's your most vulnerable position and you need to get more sacks, then that's where you have to think. You gave up fifty sacks last year. If you think I have to get better at the offensive tackle position within this division, and you think there's that guy out there, and like Jim said, now you got book gund dedicated tackles the position they've been playing. You're talking about putting together an offensive line that could be as sturdy for the next eight nine years. However, many years they stay together and perform at a high level with a rookie quarterback. So I think, as if you are the general manager, you have to ask yourself where am I the most vulnerable, and then you have to fill that void. Look, I don't mind trading down out of nine because there's twenty six receivers in this draft. We have a top four grade on them, top four round grade on them. So maybe there's that guy. That man he took a little bit of notice when I was at the senior ball or I at the combine or something that can help me work out. But vulnerability, I think, is you got to fill. You have to fill that.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll pick it up and look at the rules, potential changes that will come down the pike here, hopefully tomorrow at least a head start on that. As we continue from Orlando, Florida, where Jim and I are and Tom is watching from AFAR.
Speaker 5: Love it every second.
Speaker 2: This is Bears Weekly on ESPN Radio and the Chicago Bears Radio Network is.
Speaker 1: Bears Weekly with a voice of the Bears for twenty three years Jeff ju on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: This segment of Bears Weekly is brought to you by CDW. If you got to get it and get the Ultimate VIP Fan packageedition's in my visiting Chicago Bears vip dot com. You are there all the royalties by Jim Miller's serious XMNFL radio site along radio row. Yes, there is a radio row here in Orlando at the owners meetings and for good reason. Everybody who's anybody in the NFL from the ownership, their families, general managers, and head coaches are here. And Jim, I don't know, did you dip in much to the AFC breakfast and listen any coaches today? And if you threw us a few nuggets at us, what did you learn?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 4: I think yeah, I think the big talk has been about the new kickoff return. You know, it sounds like that is going to be tabled. They'll continue to address it obviously. Next month they'll have another owners meetings and they'll probably go over that scenario again, but kickoff return, because so much time is going to have to be dedicated to that, like in terms of your practice time, how it's going to look, how situations are going to unfold, and so I think that's something that they're going to push out into the future. Why they continue to discuss it, and I want the kick return back in kick return back in the games. I think for all the reasons that Bears fans just saw Devin Hester get elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, it's become an inconsequential play and they can still, you know, make it a safer play, There's no doubt about it. And I think they can make it a more exciting play with what they're discussing about it. You could have reverses, you know, put back in their throwback passes, all types of things that special teams coaches would make it less impactful in terms of the gunners that are coming down. And they can make it a safer play, and I think it'll be exciting for all the fans if they do, and they can come to a resolution to really, now, let's table address it again next month and hopefully it'll be back in the.
Speaker 2: Game, right good. I'm glad you put a timetable on it. It has to be done this year. You can't have a Super Bowl again of touch back, touch back, touch back, touch back, put me to sleep, go to the bathroom.
Speaker 5: Great, drink this plan, Tom, I love it.
Speaker 2: I know they made already an adjustment if a touchback flies into the end zone, the yard line will be the thirty not the thirty five. But the creativity and the strategy and more importantly, as you heard in the interview with Ryan Bulls earlier tonight, you do have to have a serious talk with your personnel department and coaches. What do you guys need now because body type type of players, this is now gonna We're gonna go back to building the third phase of the of the football team. Tommy, and we I think it's necessary. It's I talked to Chairman George McCaskey, George, please can we get a kickoff? And they definitely want is just that safety angle of it is critical, tom I think.
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous if they shelve it, because what you're doing is you're giving the special teams coordinator less time to get ready for it. They have plenty of video evidence that they can put a demonstration tape from the other leagues that have already used it, and I think it's a super transferable, exciting play that. Yeah, maybe you do do some different personnel groupings because you probably have to put better blockers in behalf of the receiving side of it than you do on the pursuit side of it. So I just wish that they would come to a clear cut decision and make the change and get that play back in football, which at one time they called the most exciting play in football.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you're right, Jeff. I mean, think about players like Matt Slater from the New England Patriots. He was drafted specifically for special teams, you know, or kick returners like Corduall Patterson or Devin Hester. I mean, teams don't dedicate those draft picks anymore because it's become such an inconsequential play. And Tom, you're right about the personnel side of it too, Jeff, because now that you're taking that forty yard dash out of it, it's going to become a hand to hand combat. So I think you're gonna see bigger guys on the kickoff coverage teams and the kickoff return teams, and that you're going to dedicate draft picks for those specific purposes because now that forty yard dash is gone and it's going to be hand to hand combat up there because they're only five yards away from one another.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Amanmiga is already in the house, and he's an outstanding special teams player coming over from the Chargers. And that was a former fifth round pick as well in the National Football League. Excuse me, undrafted, my bad undrafted out of Oklahoma State by the LA Chargers.
Speaker 5: Jim.
Speaker 2: Anything else you're picked up from head coaches this morning from the AFC that have any carry any impact.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think when you look at the crackback block, or what they call basically a chop block, you know, if say a wing maybe an H is coming in motion behind the center and they're through running an emo block, which is a n man on the line of scrimmage, they don't want them to be able to go low. But to me, that's a football play. It's been in the game for a long time. It's why defensive thens and outside backers practice the ball drill. For anybody who's listening to this, they basically have to be able to use their arms to push a player who's coming in low to basically take their their legs out. You know. To me, it's it's it's not a typical crackback block. The young man on the line of scrimmage can see that it's coming, and the players are already coached, you know, to take on that particular block, and so I hope that's you know, I hope that doesn't pass. To me, it's just a football play. And but again, everything comes down to safety and if they deem it a you know, a play that is dangerous and then potentially it could pass. But the coaches that I talked to just think it's a typical play and that it's something that that shouldn't be passed, and I hope it doesn't go through and have approval.
Speaker 3: I agree, you know. I mean, we had a play that was called forty nine year g O wing crack. Dennis McKinnon was the most ferocious crackback blocker in the NFL at the time, and teams became aware of him and it was a factor because when he faked in motion that block and went on a pass route, it opened up big play opportunities. And then you go back. And you look at the Pittsburgh Steelers against the Chicago Bears when Lewis Lifts came to crack back on Otis Wilson, and Otis Wilson dropped him with a forearm because he knew what the guy was gonna do. And so, I mean there's different factors that can help the offense or it can help the defense if they're aware of it. So it's been in the NFL for quite a while, and this is the first time that we're discussing it about a change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a lot of different things weeks, you know, going on here, and that is the major focus along with what's been done. And then I look forward to the draft. It's gonna be a fun ride up the draft day, Jimmy. I know you'll be in the thick of it for sure. Tommy's doing his homework and we'll keep blrowing it out for you each and every week here on Bears Weekly. All Right, that's gonna do it for us, Jim and enjoy the NFL part tonight.
Speaker 5: I know you'll be headed over there here after the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll save a diet soda for you, Jeff.
Speaker 2: All Right, I appreciate it, Tom, We'll tell you how it all is and what happens here in Orlando.
Speaker 3: Flow number nine. See what they're gonna do it number nine.
Speaker 5: You got it.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Jack McGrath and Sean Graaney. Thanks always to my guys, Dan BURRELLI and Jordan tread Up. And we'll talk to you next week here on Bears Weekly. Coming up next Black and of Dalla. This has been Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 5: Anight.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to the Chicago Bears Network presentation The Bears Weekly, hosted by the Mara Bears, Bill, Jeff Junia, and Surfmaster Tom Thayer. Podcasts are available on the Chicago Bears Official Bears Weekly has been brought to you by Apple Podcasts, Ben Rivers, Igs Energy, and Miller Lite a