Speaker 1: There's a turd in Saturday. You can't go there.
Speaker 2: Hey all, you cool cats and kittens. Welcome to Midnight Chats and episode ninety two, here with James Acaster as tonight's guest. This is an episode that I recorded a few weeks ago. Actually actually maybe more than that, because it was before quarantine. It was before the lockdown and coronavirus had really taken a hold, So yeah, it was of a freer time when I met James and we originally we met up to discuss a new podcast we would have launched by now. It's been a little bit delayed, but it is coming now on the twenty fourth of April, James Acaster's Perfect Sounds. It is a podcast version of his book that you might be aware of, which was called Perfect Sound Whatever, and that was a book of his favorite albums from the year twenty sixteen. There's a whole story about why twenty six which we get into a little bit in this podcast to fill you in on that. James had a really terrible twenty seventeen, which happened from the very beginning of the year when in January he was dumped by his girlfriend. So to get over this heartbreak and there were some other things going on in his career. I believe he went and listened to all the new music that he could find on those end of year lists that were still floating around from twenty sixteen, and he became completely obsessed by the music on these lists. He has bought now to day, at this point in time, he has bought over six hundred albums from the year twenty sixteen, and he's written the book about it, and now he's making this podcast about it, which, as I say, starts on the twenty fourth of April on the BBC Sounds app. I'm sure you know loads of James's work. He's got incredible Netflix special. If you've not seen that, I'd really recommend it Parter. It's incredible. It's very clever, very smart stand up comedy. And he has his own podcast as well as this new one which he hosts with Ed Gamble, the comedian Ed Gamble, which is where we start the conversation. I put a load of links in the description of this podcast because there's a hell of a lot of music that he talks about, loads of stuff, loads of obscure things, and just include a few of those that's all you need to know. Thank you for downloading, Thank you for sticking with Midnight Chats during these strange times. Hopefully it's keeping you company. There's plenty there if you've not listened to all of them. Some of them are better than others, that's for sure. I feel like we've got better as time goes on. There'll be another one next week and then we'll see how it goes. Hopefully we'll get some more together soon. But in the meantime, if you do want to support us in any way, the best way to do that is to just give a donation at loudon quiet dot com forward slash subscribe. It can be for any amount. If that is. If now is a bad time for that, that's completely fine. Just to ignore that enjoy this podcast. But that is the way that you can support us if you would like to. In the meantime. This is James Acaster on Midnight Chat number ninety two. You would have been told this fact today, I'm sure, but we're currently in the we're in the basement of a restaurant. But this used to be the live lounge.
Speaker 1: Yes, for radio, so it pretty mad to think about it, actually, But yeah, it's a restaurant now and called Caravan, and downstairs he this was the live lounge and then sold it to Caravan, and then they still let us come in here and record if we want to. So that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: We're here to talk about a new podcast. But your podcast you do with edes off menu, what's the setup like that? I'm guessing you don't record that in the basement of Caravan.
Speaker 1: We don't go to the live lounge to do that. No, No, we just record it wherever we can sometimes wherever that it is best for the guests, and the setting is always the same, which is the dream restaurant. So wherever we are, we just set it in the guests dream setting for a meal.
Speaker 2: You've done like fifty odd of those now.
Speaker 1: It's done a lot, yeah, coaching fifty Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: It seems to be going very well.
Speaker 1: It's been really fun. I'm really glad that. I mean, yeah, you start off a podcast at because it's a conversation that you have with your mate all the time, and so you're like, well, let's do a podcast about it now. Because we're always talking about what our favorite dishes are that we've ever had anywhere, So when it was If we're having that conversation, may as well continue to have it and record it, and you don't expect anyone else to listen to it, and it's really nice when they do.
Speaker 2: Everyone seems to get into it. Yeah, that you've had from the ones I've listened to, everyone's yeah, like up for it. If you had anyone who's like, maybe not not been as keen, there's to go with it.
Speaker 1: One episode that hasn't come out yet. There is coming out, I don't think in this series, but maybe in the next series where I clash with the guests in a way that is unanticipated and so apparent and obvious. That that's why I'm fine saying it, because people will when you get to the episode, you'll know which one it is. And it's not that they don't go with the episode. Actually more than happy to talk about food, but they're not happy to go with me.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay. He was just someone that you.
Speaker 1: I've never met him before, you're not met him before.
Speaker 2: It's an old boy.
Speaker 1: He did not like, he did not really get why I was pretending to be a genie and pretending to be a waiter, and he did not understand what my sense of humor was and so very much. He bodied up with had on that and they were friends, and I was My confidence evaporates almost instantly, and then even more so as the episode goes on. So it will be very obvious which one that is okay?
Speaker 2: And that's that's coming up soon?
Speaker 1: Is it ex Well, it's coming out in I think maybe the fourth series. Okay one, the third series as we speak now, I don't think it's in this series. I think it's going to be in the next You've recorded a lot in advance.
Speaker 2: I don't even want I'm not even going to ask you who it is. I'm gonna no.
Speaker 1: I think it's more fun.
Speaker 2: It's more fun to just yeah, find it, Yeah, and absolutely.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, because it will be it's so obvious. Don't if if you isn't a one in your unsure, I think, oh, maybe it's that one. It's not that one. That one was fine, and it's just you thinking that I had more of an awkward time than I did. But it's very obvious which one it is.
Speaker 2: There's that podcast, but you're about to launch this new podcast, which is essentially why we're here. Yes, it's like the podcast version of your book which was called perfect Perfect Sounds whatever. Yes, podcast has dropped or whatever, isn't it? It's just Perfect Sounds.
Speaker 1: Is that? Yeah? So that the book's called Perfect Sound whatever, and the podcast is called Perfect Sounds James Acaster's Perfect Sounds. And it's all about me deciding that twenty sixteen is the greatest year for music of all time. And I decide that because I've become obsessed with it, because in twenty seventeen, I have a bad personal year, and I deal with that by obsessively buying music from the previous year twenty sixteen, And I now own over six hundred albums that came out that year, and so I can't deny it's the greatest year.
Speaker 2: It's hard to be.
Speaker 1: Well, I just found the most amount of albums that I like, for you know, there's no other year in history where I have that many albums that I love. Yeah, And like you know, there's like all the albums I've bought, I like them, but then there's you know, hundreds that I love within that, and so you can't then go, now, that's not that Nah, I'm going to say that nineteen seventy one is because everyone else says that, and so I don't want to look stupid, so I'm going to agree with everyone and say, no, yeah, it's not in seventy one, because all those albums come out when really I don't listen to those albums. The albums that I love and that I'm most obsessed with that all came out in one year are the twenty sixteen Once. So I think that the big message to all music fans, I would say, is stop worrying about other music fans thinking you're cool, because those are not the people who really love music. They don't matter. Ignore those people. They're being on the message boards, they're having a great time on there. Meanwhile, none of them are connecting to anything proper and actually enjoying themselves and getting what you're meant to get out of music, which is a strong personal connection to it. And there's the social connection as well to music, which is great. Being in a room full of people who all like the same band, watching that band live and singing along together feels like church. It's great, and I appreciate that as well. But the dream is the crossover the two you've listened to an album, you've connected with it, you've obsessed over it. You go and see that band. Everyone's like minded and the same wen you all sing along, not academically, just going around the internet going on what's the best year of music? Okay? Yeah? Is that one actually saying that with each other? No? No, no, you got the best? Is subjective?
Speaker 2: I should say favorite really Okay, but yeah, I think you're right. I think not enough people discover new stuff as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: You started to listen to just contextualize this that for people that maybe haven't read the book or don't know about this podcast. As you say, twenty seventeen was.
Speaker 1: A bad year. Yeah, just for me personally, and and it.
Speaker 2: Was bad at the beginning, right because this is where this is why, this is why twenty sixteen happens, because a lot of end of year lists were still around for like the best of twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: And they're still there now and they never get raised off the internet. That's the beauty of a project like this. They'll always have the resources there. But yeah, they'd all gone up at the end of the end of twenty sixteen, and you know, in twenty sixteen, I'd started to pay attention to come a music again, for like over a decade bothered. No, for about a decade, I'd mainly just you know, got into I'd get into new albums, but there were albums from way back when people were recommending me, going oh, yeah, have you heard you know whatever this album from the seventies or some really obscure, weird album. I'll buy those and get into that. But I wrote off modern music. I thought nothing goods getting made now, and every now and again, i'd you know, buy something that was current, but it'd have to be really heavily recommended to me. And in twenty sixteen, you know, the year kicked off in January with David Bowie dying Black Star coming out, and suddenly everyone paid attention to that album and was like, oh my god, this is album's amazing. He's talking about death and about being dead, but also musically he really was pushing himself right to the end. It's a really avn't gard jazz rock album, and it wasn't like stuff he had done in the past, So this is incredible. And like so I remember, like people talking about that, I think, okay, that sounds cool, but in my cynical brain going like, just because he died Star, yeah, that's the only reason you guys are saying it, so I could have ignored it. And then Lemonade came out later on in the year, and it wasn't just hardcore Beyonce fans that were loving that. It was like music snobs were going, no, actually, this is this is a really properly good album. She's not just done a few singles. The whole album's great, and there's a visual album to go with it, and she's really thought about thematically. The whole thing ties together, and like, you know, all my social media was are washed with people going nuts for it, and I was like, I haven't seen this happen in a while, with like a really mainstream pop artist and everyone going crazy about an album they've done. And then Frank Coshan released Blonde in August, and you know, I remember this. I was hearing that nish Kuma, a friend of mine and comedian, was playing it around the flat we were living in at the time, and I assumed, you know that it was playing Ivy, the second track on the album. As for what an amazing song, and surely this has just passed me by. It's probably a song from way back when, and I'm old and I'm out of touch and whatever. And I said to Nisch, what's this? He said, it was released today. It's by Frank Oshin. It's his new album, and the album's amazing. And then seeing everyone evangelizing about that album online, I was like, maybe I've been wrong about current music and I should engage with it a bit more. So I started to read those ends of year lists when you know, November on woulds they start kind of like slowly December, there's loads of them. And then in January twenty seventeen, where my relationship broke up, I instantly retreated to the most recent thing that had brought me comfort, which was listening to these albums, which is reading those lists, buy a new music and listening to those albums. And so I continue to do that until I you know, the plan was just like just every time you feel sad, just do that. Pretty much all that year I felt sad, So every single night it was obsessively by an albums, six or seven albums a night sometimes, and you know, finding the time to listen to them, going back to some more than others, and that kind of you know, it's gradually got less and less as time has gone on and the reason for doing it has become different. I'm not going on it every time I feel sad. Now. If I do do it, i'm doing it out of curiosity because someone's recommended me something. But it just kind of continued even past twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: So are you still doing it now?
Speaker 1: I found an album last night that I really like, so it was when I have to look at this on my phone because I don't know how to pronounce the name. It's a really weird like electronic, kind of noisy electronic album. We spoken word over the top of it. It's by mplex E Double M P l E k Z. It's called rook to t N thirty four and it's this Guy.
Speaker 2: That's a good title.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a good title. And it's this weird electronic like little soundscapes in the background, I think, but like horrible grumpy noises and this guy over the top going there's a turd in Saturday. You can't go there, but it an identified arm in the bagging area and saying stuff like that over the top of it. I was absolutely on board for this.
Speaker 2: I'm on board for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great, and it is also a lot of time, it becomes stuff where you go, If I'm buying this much music from one year and an album like that, I can't just ignore that. An album that is like that, and that is a man to talking like that over me. I can't go, Well, I'm meant to be the foremost, you know, the main number one scholar on twenty sixteen music, but I'll ignore the album. We're a guy saying there's no turd in Saturday over the top of a weird electronic you know, little horrible keyboard noise. So yeah, I had to buy it.
Speaker 2: I mean, and what's your been your policy? I feel I have to ask this post twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: Uh huh?
Speaker 2: Any interesting twenty seventeen to now.
Speaker 1: Absolutely I've bought more music from twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen than I have in any year before twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Okay, how's it stacking up?
Speaker 1: Six? Not as many?
Speaker 2: Doing quality?
Speaker 1: Oh? Quality wise? Well, I guess it's all relative, because like I've bought less albums from each year. Yeah, so you know, I've not I've definitely not exceeded one hundred mark in any of those years since, probably not even exceeded the fifty mark. But maybe I've been nudging fifty on each year that I've bought. But I'd say that each year, I've ended up with between you know, two or five albums that are gonna stay with me for a very long time and some of them will become my favorites of all time. And uh yeah, twenty sixteen, there's like hundreds of those. But like, I still think that's that's more than I was finding each year before. You know, But before I did this project, at the end of every year, it wasn't like I've got a new album that came out this year that is now gonna stay with me for hrases and become one of my favorite albums. That wasn't happening. So I wasn't looking for anything. And now that I am engaged more, you know. In twenty seventeen, I found Hope by Shemir, amazing album. It's one of my favorite albums ever. In twenty eighteen, I was listening to Everything's Fine by Geene Gray and Kuile Cris. That's one of my favorite albums ever, you know, And like twenty nineteen, I'm trying to think about what the album was that I would have said was my favorite one of last year. I mean, I know there was a lot, so it's really, this is really gonna annoy me and I'm gonna cut and I come away from this and go, why didn't you just say that album which is clearly your favorite? But there was a lot last year. There was the Clipping album that came out last year was.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, the one, the Blood, the Blood one.
Speaker 1: There exist There existed an Addiction to Blood and it was like a horrorcore wrap album and that really blew my mind.
Speaker 2: And did you hear their record from twenty sixteen?
Speaker 1: I did. I Got a Splendor of Misery from twenty sixteen and their EP Wriggle that came out in twenty sixteen, So they released two projects, and yeah, really like those. I'd say I'd love that Existed to Blood even more because I think it's like more focused. But I love that they released a concept album in twenty sixteen set in the future about astronaut who's a slave who escapes the slave ship and flees across the vastest of space and falls in love with the ship that he hijacks and they have a relationship together. I think It's amazing that they released that album and incorporated like spirituals and stuff into the album as well. There's a lot of great hooks in it. Dabby Diggs was an amazing rapper, so that was what got me into that band. Was so through that got into a whole band and continue to follow their career, which is again something I wasn't doing before doing this project. I wasn't following bands careers as they happen and evolve. I was going back and finding dead bands and finding what they were up to. Now I can anticipate albums, which is a great feeling.
Speaker 2: What were you So, what were you when you grew up? What were you growing up listening to?
Speaker 1: Way back well when I was in primary school. So I got into music pretty early on for going to church and stuff. I'm not religious anymore, but I was raising a Christian family and going to church. There was a like a rock band church, one of those churches, like a hip call church, a hip called church, and people are kind of like you, pretty breezey Christians. And I loved watching the band and the drummer especially, and I started learning drums when I was seven. I remember like first into music was like, you know, all the big popular songs that everyone knows and that are funny as well, Like music had to be slightly funny. So like down Under, that down Under song by men at Work, I just found it hilarious and so I loved it. I loved rocking all over the world because the idea of rocking all over the world was mad, Like there's the thing, what that would be high host silver lining? I loved it, you know, and songs like that. Obviously, I loved in the Jungle, the Mighty Jungle. I'm not made of stone, so like, you know, stuff like that all the time. And then like kind of starting in primary school, I was loving this pop music. I really loved whatever was in the charts, you know. I was Aquard Dr Jones and Barbie Girl, who not many people would leave with Doctor Jones, but that was my favorite one of the two.
Speaker 2: That's a deep cut for the real Aqua fans.
Speaker 1: And then like heavily into Oasis for a while, heavily into the Spies Girls for their first album, and then heavily not into them immedia after that. Yeah, but like you know, still see that as a very what was at.
Speaker 2: The school you went to what was the thing. Because I grew up in Essex and the thing that we got really into Oasis was the Yeah, the whole school got into that. You had to like Oasis even if you didn't like Oasis, Yes, you know what was what was that? Were you in like? Were you in step with your friends and the rest of the school.
Speaker 1: Not so much? Oasis wasn't Yeah, not many people liked Oasis and stuff in my school that I remember. It was more East seventeen Spice girls, all those Peter Andre foot while everyone liked Peter Andre and you know, all the boys had to aspire to have six packs and all this kind of stuff. There's a touch shop called Flavor in our school, spelled the way Peter Andre spelled it f l a va. So it's like all that kind of you know, people were into that kintry.
Speaker 2: They really liked, they really liked on people.
Speaker 1: Love Peter Andre. For a while it was like really big, but like, yeah, outside of that, people weren't really into guitar bands as much. Okay, yeah and things. So I was into a bis a lot until that. I mean I basically was into the first two Oasist albums and then I thought be here now. On the day it came out, listened to it once, decided it's the best time I've ever heard, listened to it a second time and was really disappointed.
Speaker 2: Didn't come out the week that Princess Diana died, yes, or something like that, which then I think the band might blame for the reason it Yeah, I mean it's still sold loads.
Speaker 1: Interesting reason to blame, yeah, because I understand if it didn't sell much, you would blame it on that. But it makes no sense with the biggest band in the world and we made no money, I guess because we have a car crashed into a swimming pool in the front of our album. People thought that was bad days because Princess Anna has just died, that'd be fair enough. But you sold loads and people said it was so that's not that's not because I thought that they were listening to it and there was a cloud hanging over us because of the death of Princess Diana, and then we couldn't enjoy We couldn't enjoy it, you know, do you know what I mean? So like it was, it was more that it was just wasn't as musically dense and rich, and the melodies weren't as memorable as the first Those first two albums, God, it's like everything about them is. Yeah, it is great that there's the rawness of the first album, and the second album, which is the one that I connected to the most at that age, has just got so many memorable songs and hooks on there and it's executed perfectly, and that third one is just not as much to it. You could of get the it's all surface layer, and then the next listening has nothing really more to it than the initial hook that was on there. Okay, so you know that was it? That was it, guys. It wasn't die, It wasn't business.
Speaker 2: So when did you start, because you you're a drummer, you've drummed in bands. When did you what? What type of what style of band was that? Like an was your first band? Like an OACC band?
Speaker 1: No, it's by the time was in bands I liked, Like I was listening, I was reading krang and stuff like that and really liked metal and punk grunge especially, and I wanted to be in those kind of bands. So, like I was a third teen fourteen, I started playing in bands with the people in school and they were all into the same stuff. So we were just covering smells like teen Spirit, bored by the Deaftones, the songs that walk by Pantera, who were doing all those kind of songs. By the time I started writing music in the band, we were doing like new metal for our sins and it was like all kind of But we had two guitarists who were very good guitarists, one of which was like a you know, a child prodigy who should have gone somewhere, but you know, no one ever really nurtured his talent when they should have. But this kid was like, amazing.
Speaker 2: What's he doing? Do you know what he's doing now?
Speaker 1: No idea what Matthew Butler's doing now? I hope he's doing well. He I bet he's still an amazing guitarist. Like he'll still be shredding probably in a pub in like a pub rock band and everyone's like, I'm sorry, who the fuck is that? Because why is he here? Like it was just so good and like there was.
Speaker 2: Always one kid in the school that's was his kids at your school.
Speaker 1: At my school. Yeah, just you know, he won't mind me saying this bottom set for everything. Yeah, and just in the incredible guitarist, and it's the failings of the teachers to not go, Okay, he needs to do that for a living, because otherwise he's not gonna you know, you know, like these other things aren't for him. And that's fine. You don't have to be good at maths. You don't have to be like that doesn't have to be a life. He's he's better at the guitar than anyone else is at any subject in his year. So we need to nurture that, not just write off music and go no, well, that's not a proper thing. It is a proper thing. People do it for a living, so like you can easily make it his job and you're not bothering because at the end of the day, you're not actually very good at your jobs. So awful stuff, you know. I really hope he has found a way of making that work, but I haven't heard from him. But he was just like, we do new metal songs and then suddenly there's this Joe Saturani style solo just midway through and everyone will be like, wow, that's different, and that was like.
Speaker 2: You know, what was your singer?
Speaker 1: Like we never settled on a singer, okay.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, we had, did you all take turns in that?
Speaker 1: Because are you just no? We had different singers. We had a couple of gigs with nice singer and about four gigs with different singers, and the longest serving there was this guy who just he would sing really nice in the band practices and then scream on stage and we were like, can you please just sing nicely like we've asked you to and he was like, yeah, yeah, yah, I'll do it next time, and then he would scream again.
Speaker 2: What was that just a nerves thing like you'd get up.
Speaker 1: I guess it must have been a adrenaline. May there must have been a nerves thing that he was like or that in the moment of doing the gig. It's what made sense to him was he would also like he would always like he'd always put a dress on as well. He had a floral dress and he would put that on, which he hadn't run that bias either, but we didn't care as much because who cares, But like it was like, okay, that's cool, Like you know, enjoyed a bit of a performance there and you've got a stage outfit, but then just screaming, and it's like, I love screaming as much as the next person in music, as long as it suits the songs. Really didn't, It really didn't at all.
Speaker 2: So when did you When was the last time you drumed?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 2: Do you still? Do you have a kit?
Speaker 1: Do you play well? I'm weirdly so in like I think five days time or like six days time. I'm going home to Ketherin. I'm getting my old drum kit, which I haven't played in. It's been in its drum cases for twelve years. Just gathern dustin. Nothing has happened to it. I'm going to load it in the car, go back to London, unpack it in the studio, not tune it, and after having not practiced drums in twelve years, I'm going to record drums all day for two days, and with an out of tune drum kit with absolutely the rustiest I've ever been.
Speaker 2: Is this for a particular reason?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Is it a reason you can tell me about?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think so. It's it's a project I wanted to I just kind of I played drums like so, I actually myself at least album in twenty sixteen. Well, oh hang, so it's the only bit of drumming that I have done since being in bands. But where there's a load of bands that I used to know from school, and I was a fan of theirs and bought their demos they would sell at gigs, and they've each got at least one song that I thought, I still think today is an amazing song. I was like, oh, no, ie' I never hear these songs. All these bands are broken up now. So in twenty sixteen, I got everyone kind of back together almost into the studio. I played drums, but I only got things like I got each song right once, you know, like everything else was so rusty. I can't even play standard drum beats anymore. But we recorded them all again as like indie grunge songs and released this album. So that's the last bit of drumming i've done.
Speaker 2: What's that album called.
Speaker 1: It's called Lunar Dot Raids the Bee Litty. It's called Lunar Dot Raids the Bee Pidgin And it's because it's made up of all the different band names, right, okay, so that I couldn't be bothered to come out with a new band name. So I took one word from each of the old bands and put them together. It's best I could to make a sentence, and.
Speaker 2: Can I hear this? Can people listen to this? Band camp?
Speaker 1: Band camp? And all the money goes to the youth centers where we used to practice as teenagers. So we're getting no money from it. If you it's it's a paywe you want album, but any money that you do donate to it goes to these youth centers.
Speaker 2: Has it got the threading guitarist?
Speaker 1: It hasn't, because it's songs that were written by bands. I wasn't in bands that I was a fan of right locally, and he's not on it. I've lost contact with him, and he didn't plan on it, and it would have been inappropriate to suddenly have a shredding guitar solo on any of these songs. The guitar was mainly done by a comedian friend of mine called Rob Dearan, who is a genius guitarist, and I knew I could play many songs and he could figure out how to do it in a grunge style, and I enjoyed that so much. I really loved making that album to a point where I didn't think I was I was. I was surprised at how much. I thought I was doing it to get it out my system. I'm the kind of person who, once I've got an idea to do something, if I don't do it, it's going to really bug me. So I was just doing it to get it out my system. It and I really loved being in the studio with my friends and recorded music and it being a fun thing that, you know, had no basis in my career. There wasn't any kind of like, you know, path to be taken off and any goal with it. It was just doing it for the love of it and doing it with my friends. And so I went to do something else like that, but I was like, well, I don't know, you know, anything else that I do musically, I'd have to start from square one, you know, I'd have to start like writing original songs, and I'm not good enough to do that. I haven't played drums in ages. My drum is going to be absolutely shit. I can't do that. And so I thought, well, I'll make that the basis of the album then, and I'll I'll make the facts that I'm completely out of practice and completely I've neglected my I used to, you know, teach the drums. I was properly. I played for hours a day, and I taught kids the drums as a job, you know, So like I'm and now in comparison, I'm awful. You know, I've neglected this talent completely, and I want to do an album that's essentially about that, so that contrasts what happens when you completely neglect something and when you nurture it. So I'm doing, you know, two days of awful, well of my best. I'm gonna try my best. I'm gonna try and do it for a joke sounding shit, but I'm going to deliberately do it on an out of tune drum kit, trying to play the best that I possibly can just drums, just drums. Cut that into tracks, and then the next week we're getting a professional drummer in who is one of my heroes, who's going to come in and he's going to tune the drum kit, same drum kit, and then play over the stuff that I've played and do either accompaniment to what I've done or better versions of what I've done, like proper versions of it, and then we're going to mix it in a way that that kind of showcases both of them and contrast them both, and then there's some other musicians have got lined up who are gonna do stuff over the top of that afterwards. But the imediate stuff that's happening next week is me and this other drummer.
Speaker 2: Is the Okay, you'd had to say, who the other drummer is?
Speaker 1: Is that seb Rockford who is from Polar Bear and all those. He's a jazz drummer. He's a proper yeah, one of my heroes. Can you play jazz drums with that sort of thing that you would play used to be able to play a bit jazz drums. But he's a very versatile drummer. He's been in loads of bands that have fused jazz with all manner of genres. He I actually met him through doing this BBC podcast. We did an episode about the John bapp album where now when the drum drumming on that is incredible and the whole album started off with drums and then everything was built around it. So I wanted to get drummers in to talk about it. I've got Adam Betts, who's an amazing drummer with square pusher and acts like that, to come in a solo artist in his own rights and an entirely drum solo album that came out in twenty sixteen, which is incredible called Colossal Squid. And Seib Rockford came in and did that episode as well, and there was like two drum kits set up with those two, and I talked to him about the drumming on this album and how much we love it. It's like a bonus episode for the podcast. It's like a longer deep dive into We've got these bonus episodes that are longer and investigate albums a lot more. And I met him through that. You know, he did the episode of the podcast and just played those different styles of drumming on it. I tried to show him one of my drug meats that I used to put. The production team forced me to show him a thing I had done, and to my surprise, he really liked it and sent me a very nice email about about it because I've been thinking about that drum beat you did a lot, and I just then confessed to him in the moment, I wrote that drum beat when I was in a band and obsessed with his drumming, and it's the beat is me copying him. The probably way you like it, because it's me just trying to sound like you when I was seventeen. And then, you know, I just seized it. I already had the idea for this album in my head, and I thought, I'll just I'll ask him if he wants to do it. And I was astounded that he would have been my first choice anyway. I never thought I would have got him. And yeah, I can't believe he's gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: You know, it's just a bit of fun for me. But that's why I'm talking about it so enthusiastically. It is so much fun.
Speaker 2: So the new podcast is you're going to go through fifty of your six hundred records, Yeah, with different different comedians going to join you. Yes, you're playing. You're gonna have twenty five guests, right, and they're all gonna listen to two each.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I've got there's fifty episodes, twenty five guests, two episodes each, and each episode I've sent them an album in advance, which is one of my favorite albums, not just from twenty sixteen but from all time. And they are going to come on the podcast and they're going to tell me what they think of it, and I'm going to tell them what I think of it and why I love it, and by the end of each episode, I'm going to see if they will admit that twenty sixteen is the great year for music of all time. And so you know that gives the you know, the listener, if it's an obscure album you've never heard before, you don't need to worry about not knowing what on about because the other person I've got on as a guest, they've only just heard. So we're it's it's someone who loves something told us someone who is a novice to it, new to it.
Speaker 2: Sure, and do you most of them? Most of the fifty I know you've got. I know you've got some big ones like Lemonade's going to be in there, and Blonde is going to be.
Speaker 1: Black Star, Run the Jewels Free.
Speaker 2: Some of the big stuff is going to be in there, but there's also some really obscure stuff. I've assume what is there in there that the album that you like that is from a Ned Flanders tribute band that.
Speaker 1: Is not in there?
Speaker 2: Can you just explain what that record? Because I read about that being in because it's in the book yes, and I listened to them today. I listen to a song by them called White Wine Spirit Step. They are. To describe them, they're like a metalcore band, yes, called what are they called?
Speaker 1: They're called Oakley Docally, Okay Docally. The album is called Howdy Doody and it and.
Speaker 2: They dress as Ned Flanders from The Simpsons yep, And all of the songs are based on him.
Speaker 1: And Flanders, so they're singing in Ned Flanders quotes and stuff like that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like it's well done, isn't it. Yeah, it's not like they are com clearly all play.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The reason why it's like an album that I mentioned in the book and that I've talked about a lot, is because it was definitely the tipping point where I realized, okay this, I don't have any control over this project anymore. Like I don't have any control over what I buy because I have to own this album because I can't. It's like I was saying earlier about that album we talked about, I can't say I know everything about I'm like I know more about the musical twenty sixteen than anyone else, and yet I didn't buy the Ned Flanders metal out like you kind of have to own it. Yeah, so like there was album's not that was like, well just without even listening to it, I have to own this album. And it's a really interesting experience that album because sometimes it comes on on shuffle and I'm like this is good, Well who's this and then I go over like oh no it locally docally, I mean join them at face value, like it's a weird one because it's like the kind of the very concept of it stops you've engaging with it on the normal level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it is actually but they can play because have you heard that band Harry and the Potters. No, Harry and the Potters.
Speaker 1: I can guess where this is going, but no, I've not heard them.
Speaker 2: They I mean they've been around a long time since since maybe the first film came out, Yeah so what twenty years maybe?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: It's two guys. I think they're from Boston and they dress as Harry Potter and all of the songs about Harry Potter. But they are really the io really stripped down, like sound like beat happening or something. But it kind of makes they they're not brilliant now it's brilliant. And it's for what it is, but not like Oakley Oakley, who as you say, it comes on shuffle and you're like, this is a good band.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was actually a good band. I mean they've changed members so many times, and all of them have nicknames like you know, head Ned, dread Ned, and they every time they change a member, they have to think of a different word. It's like one syllable and rhymes with ned. But yeah, it's it's mad how like it comes up and I think it will never be one of my favorites just because I can't get past the Flanders things. Yeah, but but I'm delighted that it came out that year and that it was something. You know, ultimately, when you're talking to people about the albums that came out in one year without playing, you know, there's some albums that are like really great indie albums that had to grow on me for a bit. And now I've got some of my favorites and I love them. But it's hard to like sell that to people. Yeah and go, oh, there's this band and it's just really good guitar songs, but so like but it's much easy to go Okay, there's this one album, and throughout the whole album is a sound of an active bee hive for the whole thing, and it's this constant droning noise of all the bees. And over the top of it, a cellist has figured out that the bees are humming in the key of C, so they're playing in the key of C the cello over the top of it. And then there's like, by the way, I'm talking about the album b by one right now, which was originally an art installation, and it's the guys from Spiritualized did it, and like it's there's more to talk about. Yeah, well you got go on about those albums, and not necessarily your favorite ones, but they're really interesting albums that are worth listening to, and again emphasizes the fact that you know, we can casting aside to the kind of just fun little convincing people. Twenty six SEMs the Greatest year of for musical time, which is just a bit of a laugh really like trying to convince people that it's a fun little game. But really the whole point is there is so much great music being made today, and so much interesting music and inventive music, and you know, for example, people are doing this stuff. People are harmonizing with Bees, you know, There's like a lot of stuff going on. People are still pushing things and being weird. It's not just all throw away, disposable stuff.
Speaker 2: Because I mean, you can't really listen. You can't really buy six hundred albums at any point and for them to all be of the same thing. It's really eclectic. You're mix from Bees to ned Flanders, covering all the bases. Is there anything just musically generally not necessarily in this project that you just won't touch a strand of folk music?
Speaker 1: I don't think I could say that, because it all depends on how it's done and what I've really what I've been identify more through this project is what I don't like within certain genres that turns me off. So like I'm more able to listen to songs now and say why I don't like them and what could be changed what I mean, I would love it, you know. So it's like, for the most part, I don't like just big, chuggy rock music that is like very straightforward rock music, and I find it boring. But a lot of the time it's not because of the music itself. It's because the production is always pretty predictable and just straightforward and inspired production, and the vocalists are often you know, just sound. You can't pick them out of a lineup, just classic vocalists. And whereas actually if the production was a bit more interesting and the vocalist was a bit more you know, unique, then I'd probably love it, you know. So it's not the genre, it's the way that people do them. And for so much of it as well, it's just the production. Like so much, I didn't care about production before this, and now I realized that actually there are certain styles of music, like rock music or folk music, where the more clean and glossy the production is, the more I don't like it. Yeah, and actually I really like to just hear. I'd hear people properly creating and performing something. And although you know, I like loads of electronic music as well, samples and stuff, but you can still it comes through. Yeah, even if I hear someone playing something live, it comes through how much they genuinely exploring a genre and care about him.
Speaker 2: You should listen to Harry and the Potters. I think they're the band for you.
Speaker 1: I think they're my favorite band as of now.
Speaker 2: They've got loads of albums as well.
Speaker 1: I bet.
Speaker 2: Harry Potter, but yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: I've been drinking a lot during this podcast because I've got a bad throats. I've got to keep it lubricated. So I've gone through a glass of like what I think was carrot juice and a cup of lemon tea. I'm now dying for a piss and also quit pretty concern. I've been gulping into the mic the whole thing, so enjoy anyway, good Night,