Speaker 1: Welcome everybody.
Speaker 2: It is the KSR Pre Show Wednesday, June fourth. I am Shannon the Dude and you can give us a call on the Clark's Pupping Shop phone line at eight five to nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven.
Speaker 1: You're a Whiskey Thief call of the day.
Speaker 2: And you can also make sure you check out Italics find Italian Dining in Lexington. They are the title sponsor of the KSR Pre Show as always, and Billy is out all week so we continue to go to the bullpen and bring in different guests each and every day throughout the weekend. Today, well it's it's Mario Maitland who is joining us from Lexington. Live in the studio there and Mario is here. He's on time, unlike Ryan yesterday. You're here and you're ready to go. How are you, Mario?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, man, I'm pumped up for today's show man. I don't mind being on KSR pre show Man, one of my favorite shows. I'm pumped well, glad to have you here. And you know I said that Ryan was late yesterday. That's actually two straight days in a row that Ryan wasn't ready to go at the start of the show. I think that's that inconsistency that you were talking about, Mario. He's still inconsistent, and.
Speaker 1: You've highlighted that in the past.
Speaker 2: And you know, when you first said that that night in Seattle, after you've done the high amount of fireball shots, I thought.
Speaker 1: You were just rambling. But it turns out that's true.
Speaker 2: You know, they say the truth comes out when you're drunk, and it's true that mark that Ryan was was not consistent and out here the last two days.
Speaker 3: I definitely took a lot of drinks that night and and like you said, when your little tipsy, the truth kind of comes out. And you know, I love Ryan Lemon, but you know I was just being I was being honest, and his consistency was was something that was bothering me at that point in tom So, like I said, man, I was, I was. I had a lot to drink that night. But you know how Ryan is man, he comes with good and he comes with bad too, just like everybody else does.
Speaker 2: That's right, Well, I mean, you know yesterday he shows up late. And by the way, the receipts, I've got the receipts on the text message right here. It says, Okay, we go on at ten oh three on KSR. At ten oh four, I get we're good. At ten oh five he says, we're connected to two. So I didn't actually know where he was connected until two minutes into the show.
Speaker 3: Well, when I was listening to the show, I could tell that it sounded like you honestly didn't think they were connected, Like that's that's what I thought. I was listening, they weren't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I've got it right here.
Speaker 2: It says, you know, ten oh five, two minutes into the show, now he's connected, and then immediately comes on and tries to throw me under the bus.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, what is this? What are we dealing with here?
Speaker 3: So, in reality, it was really the text message. The text message didn't come in Tom, and that was the That was the truth to the whole thing.
Speaker 1: And you know what, it's that android phone. Probably, yes it is.
Speaker 2: If Ryan texted me on time, I did not get the message until two minutes later, and we can blame I guess Ryan's phone.
Speaker 3: Oh god, yes, and he needs an iPhone? Why why does he just get an iPhone? The entire group chat has an iPhone? He needs to get a knife.
Speaker 2: I have tried for years to talk some sense into him, and he's stubborn. He won't listen to me. So maybe you can try. Maybe he'll listen to you.
Speaker 3: Maybe he will now you will.
Speaker 2: Now to your point, you know he has some bad, but he has a lot of good. He has much more good than out weighe the bad. So immediately immediately after screwing up and being late for the show, he's able to pull Dan Skirka's phone number. And to be honest with you, Mario, I didn't know the name Dan Skirka until you yesterday on the show.
Speaker 3: I didn't know him either. Yeah, I didn't know him though. Are you surprised? Though? Ryan literally knows every single body. And I've noticed that since working for KSR. It's like Ryan knows everybody. We can be going in London, Kentucky. We're at a gas station and the clerk knows Ryan Lemon. Ryan knows the clerk at the cashier. So it's like this guy literally knows everybody on the planet on the face of the planet.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, you could just name anything random and Ryan will go, well, I know a guy, And if I don't know a guy, I know a guy who knows a guy.
Speaker 3: You cannot go out with Ryan Lemon. Do not go out with Ryan.
Speaker 1: Ryan's connections run deep. There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: So I think if he does run for mayor one day, he may actually have a shot at it.
Speaker 1: But he brought on.
Speaker 2: He's able to get us connected with Murray State baseball head coach Dan Skirka, and it was kind of cool having him on here because number one, when will we ever talk about Murray State Baseball ever again? And that's why I was saying yesterday when they were like, well, you know, he's on a bus right now and it's really not a good time. I'm like, you have the opportunity, Murray State Baseball. You have the opportunity to get on and talk to the entire state of Kentucky and beyond.
Speaker 1: You got to make that happen.
Speaker 2: But I'm glad that we were able to get Dan Scoke go on and he was talking about just how unreal, you know, it didn't feel real that they were moving on to the super Regionals. But man, I mean now that Kentucky's out, I feel like, now, Mario, we have a team to pull for in the NCAA Baseball tournament.
Speaker 3: I think it's really cool how Murray State is kind of pulling it all together. What what are they even? Like, what is Murray State known for? You know, like, they're not a baseball school, They're not a basketball school. I think the last time I remember like, like Murray State being mentioned was probably when John Moran was there. Yeah, so I'm not it's crazy to see them at at this point having this success and you gotta, you gotta, you gotta tip your hat off to these guys. Man. They're doing their thing in the baseball tournament, and you gotta, you know, only support these guys. That's what we should do.
Speaker 2: I think John Morant is what I think about. When you say, okay, Murray State Sports, Yeah, exactly, give me word association. You're probably gonna say.
Speaker 1: John Morant exactly. Yeah. Now shifting gears here. ESPN. I don't know if you saw this release.
Speaker 2: They're college football rankings yesterday and Kentucky football is one of three teams not in the top twenty five. They've got them I think at thirty fifth. The other two SEC schools in case you're wondering, that aren't in the top twenty five are Mississippi State and Vandy. So the question is, then, you know, what does Mark Stoops have to do this year?
Speaker 1: I mean, the seats.
Speaker 2: Definitely getting warm. If it's not hot, it's getting warm. It's what does what does he have to do to keep his job? I mean, we're talking about a win total for football, and it's been really quiet in the off season.
Speaker 1: You can look at that one of two ways, Mario.
Speaker 2: You can look at it as it's a silent confidence, or you could look at it as well, we.
Speaker 1: Know we're not going to be that kid. So there's no way they've talking about.
Speaker 3: They've definitely been quiet over the off season. Hopefully they ramp that up and start, you know, pushing a lot more stuff out. But you know, I think when it comes to like Stoops on the hot seat and everything like that, obviously you know he already is kind of like, you know, fans are kind of you know, want to push him there, kind of leaning towards pushing him out. But I would say, if I had to pick a number, I'm gonna say six. But you gotta you gotta understand how tough the schedule is. That's that schedule is brutal.
Speaker 1: The seventh.
Speaker 3: That schedule is absolutely the seventh.
Speaker 2: Toughest schedule in the country, and he has got to bounce back somehow from what happened last year.
Speaker 1: And you think it's six, I think it's six.
Speaker 3: Where you go, well, I.
Speaker 2: Think it's six to keep the fans happy. Now, I don't know that it's six to keep your job. I think if he gets to I think if he gets the five, he keeps his job, even though he's not going to a bowl at five wins, so.
Speaker 3: He has to do better than last season. Yes, yeah, I think we all can agree.
Speaker 1: You know, four is right there on the line.
Speaker 2: I think there was like a preseason projection for win total when it was like four and a half for Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Four.
Speaker 2: I think there's a high likely, highly likely chance that he is out, but I would I wouldn't swear to it.
Speaker 1: Three definitely if yeah.
Speaker 3: He can't, and I'm sure he's not thinking, you know, win total three, you know three, man, that would be terrible, And I think a lot of it, Shannon is the those first few games like those are probably gonna be his most important games of the season. Those first two or three games like that can dictate how the seasons is gonna go. And I think that's very important for Stoopid at least at least start out on a strong note.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as I said, seventh toughest schedule in the country. But I keep I keep hearing though, and we knew that going in, but I keep hearing about Toledo.
Speaker 1: And look, I'm tired of hearing about Toledo.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, because if we can't here's here's why. If you lose to Toledo, just go ahead and call it a season. I mean, if you can't beat Toledo in your opening game, you've got much bigger problems on your hands. Forget about trying to beat an SEC team. If you can't beat a MAC team, it's not gonna that's pretty bad.
Speaker 3: That's definitely bad. If he goes down against Toledo, Hey, I'm rooting for him, man, I honestly think that he can't do it. Like I said, it really it really starts off in the beginning of the season. If we look back at last season, when we lost that South Carolina game, Yep, it was almost like the season was over at that point. Now, we did bounce back against Old Miss on the road, but you know, those those first two or three games are so pivotal for for what's gonna happen in the season.
Speaker 2: You know, when Stoops took over, you know, Kentucky was at the bottom of the barrel. And yes, a win against Vanderbilt was not guaranteed. A went over South Carolina wasn't happening at least not on a consistent basis.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I don't think he gets enough credit. And I might be the only one on the fate in Big Bow Nation that probably thinks this, but honestly thinks he doesn't get enough credit. He like, Kentucky football was irrelevant before he came here. Sure, literally irrelevant. But I do understand that the fact that he's not like, he's not produced, it's not it's not translating to the field at this moment. He won four games last season, so I do get that. But I mean, give let's see what happens next season before we write him off and we can go from there.
Speaker 1: Sure. Sure, but but I was getting it.
Speaker 2: You know, like there was a long stretch where we beat South Carolina and Vanderbilt. It felt like every season when Mark Stoops really had this thing rolling here at Kentucky, and now I feel like we've fallen back again to you know, losing the Vanderbilt again, losing to South Carolina, when before, like when when Stoops really had this thing going, those were games that you just you just assumed we were gonna win.
Speaker 1: And now I don't think that.
Speaker 2: I think there's so much uncertainty going into the season that I'm not sure what's going to happen. I mean, I do feel like we're gonna be Toledo, so let's set that aside. I'm hoping so, but I hear people that are even kind of worried about that game, and I you know, and then you look, Okay, Vanderbilt's not even though I think they're ranked in this preseason ESPN Power Index that I was talking about, They're like fifty sixth or something like that. But even that, now you can't just say, Okay, that's an automatic win.
Speaker 3: So part of that, I mean, you are playing in the best conference in college football, like I think that, and it's only getting better, Like I think, you know, Vanderbilt in South Carolina, like you said, they're getting better, Like they're not the same team that they were four or five years, same program, they were four or five years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know now you got to say, Okay, if you don't get to five wins, do we keep Mark STUPSI, You're right at some point the what have you done for me lately?
Speaker 1: Kicks in?
Speaker 3: Yes, and that matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you can also say that Stoops is also in a lot of ways a victim of his own success in the past. Now that we've seen the Kentucky football can get the ten wins, they can, doesn't mean that they are what to me, doesn't mean they should be expected to get to ten wins every year.
Speaker 1: I feel like that is the exception more than the norm.
Speaker 3: You know what I've been noticing, Shannon, Like, and this is just not with college football. This is like coaches in general in sports. And you can say NBA, you can say NFL, you can say college football. What I've been noticing is that you can have a bad team as a coach. You have a bad team, and you're more likely to keep your job, rather than when you have a team's success, you're more likely to get fired. We're seeing it with TIBs. Yeah, you're more likely to get fired when you have team success compared to when you don't when your team is consistently bad. You're more likely to keep your job if your team is consistently bad. I'm honestly seeing that.
Speaker 2: Since you brought up TIBs, let's talk about that. The Knicks, I mean, what what are the next?
Speaker 1: What are they doing?
Speaker 2: They they just fired their head coach Tom Tibodeaux after making the conference finals, the first time they had gone to three straight Get this right, first time they've had three straight winning seasons since the nineties, first.
Speaker 3: Time they've been to the conference finals.
Speaker 1: First time they've been to the conference finals since the nineties? Were were you? Were you even born then, Mario? Were you even alive with them?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't since I've been grown up, shann And the Knicks have always been bad. Yeah, there's a few years where they were as bad, like you know, Carmelo Anthony was playing news, they weren't too bad. But from what I can remember, they were always bad. And this is this is like, it's crazy to see TIBs, you know, get get fired. And I think there's two sides to it, Shannon. You got one side where it looks bad as if like the Knicks going to the playoffs, matchup where they're playing your Celtics, the defend champs, and they beat the Celtics, and no one honestly thought that they could beat the Celtics.
Speaker 1: Thought the Celtics were gonna sweep the next sweep them.
Speaker 3: And when they won, we saw what the city was like, We saw what New York City was. It was going crazy. And every fan, every New York fan, thought that they were gonna make the finals at that point. So you turn that success from beating the Celtics to getting into the Indiana Pacers matchup, and you lose the Indiana Pacers matchup, which Knicks fans at that point, when they beat the Celtics, they thought they had a ticket to the NBA finals. They said, our time is now. We won, We were in the NBA finals. They weren't even thinking about the Indiana Pacers. And when you lose against the Indiana Pacers, it almost looks like a disappointment in ways, It honestly almost looks like a disappointment to Nick two Knicks fans, to New York Knicks nation, and and and now we're seeing like Tibbs, he's the first one to go. And honestly, I think there's more to it, sh And and I think there's a lot going on in that that entire organization. We got the coaches blaming Karl Anthony town saying that he's the guy, he was the problem why we lost the series. And then you got the players blaming Tibbs, Who's like, hey, I don't know if you if you saw it online, Shannon, but there's a thing where the New York Knicks they did, I guess an exit interview with some of their top players, and and and and they decided that, hey, Tis Tibbs is the one that that has to go once they were concluded with all those those exit interviews. So it's really a two sided umbrella where I'm like, I'm not sure what exactly is going on in that franchise, but it's madness.
Speaker 2: If you're a New York fan, I don't know why you wouldn't want to run back just what happened. I mean, like, you just made it to the conference finals. Why would you not want to try to keep all those pieces together and try to do it again? And now we're talking about uncertainty with the Kentucky football team, there's gotta be a lot of uncertainties now with the Knicks, like who's gonna be the next coach and who's gonna be bring them back to where they just were this season.
Speaker 3: It's it's crazy, but it's realistic, and I'm not I'm not gonna say I'm surprised about the entire thing. I remember we were at the case Martin Grill, and I'm talking to Matt. We're watching the Knicks and the Pacers, and I guess the Knicks lost Game six or something like that. I believe it was Game five versus the Pacers. And I say to Matt and I'm like, hey, Matt Man, you think Tips is gonna have his job after the season. And I remember literally asking him that and he thought it was absurd just to hear the question. Yeah, but that's just to show you, like, man, no one's job is safe, and in terms of a head coaching position, it's not safe, especially for an organization like the New York Knicks. It's insane because he's been the best coach that they've had in what a.
Speaker 1: Decade long time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and now he's gone after one their first run to the Eastern Conference Finals in twenty years. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: I think there was just a lot of a lot of front office issues. According to some reports that I've read, they weren't happy with him because of his lineup changes. I think the front office kind.
Speaker 3: Of wit a lot. And he's known for that shit. And like he's known to run his players into the ground, like he'll play his players to their knees fall off, Like that's what he's kind of known for. Yeah, but you know, success is success. That's the way I look at it. And I'm not sure who they're going to even replace him with. That's gonna be the interesting thing to really look at. But yeah, I don't know, man, do you do you do you think Brunson's dad should now be the coach.
Speaker 2: No, No, I don't think that's a good choice. But I'd have to I'd have to see, like who all the candidates are out there. You know, honestly, this might be crazy, but I think about a guy like John Cali Perry. Really, you know, I don't know that he would have any interest in it, but you know, it is New York, it's the NBA. Cal has done well in the n C Double A as a head coach at the college level, but never really succeeded as a head coach in the NBA, So I mean I could see that maybe being a possibility if he were in.
Speaker 3: That would be insane. Yeah, he he became the New York Knicks coach. I don't know what was his situation. I don't know if you're familiar his situation when he coached in the NBA, I don't. I only know cal for when he coached that Memphis and Kentucky saw and I know he coached a little bit in the NBA. I don't know if it was the Brooklyn Nets or not, or New Jersey.
Speaker 1: New Jerseynownce at the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't know. I don't know, man, I've been hearing mixed things a lot of a lot of college candidates and and you know, Dan Dan Hurley may look at it and like, who knows. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks let let Brunson's dad step into that position. I don't know, Like I said, I would not be surprised.
Speaker 1: Should be.
Speaker 2: Well, that's gonna be interesting to follow to see who ends up with that, uh, that head coaching position for the Knicks, because I think it's crazy that they fired TIBs.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, the first Eastern Conference Finals gone.
Speaker 1: Yep, we need to take a break. We'll take calls coming up next.
Speaker 2: I've also got another story in the news involving uh managers head coaches in baseball, we call them.
Speaker 1: We call them managers, not not head coaches.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the Braves just ended up hiring their former manager, Freddie Gonzalez as their third base coach. I want to I want to talk to you about that because I think it's interesting from a few different angles. We'll take your calls. Coming up next. Eight five nine two A twenty two eighty seven. It is the ksrpre Show, Welcome Back. It is the KSR pre Show. Shannon the Dude and Mario Maitland sitting in for Billy Relis today. Mario, do you know who Connie Francis is?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 3: This? Is this the artist that's that's playing through my headphones right now?
Speaker 2: Yes, this is Connie fran I had never heard of Connie Francis. There's two names that I learned yesterday, Dan Skirka and Connie Francis.
Speaker 3: Connie frant I feel like I've heard this song before.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, yep, that's where I'm that's where I'm going with this.
Speaker 3: This is something that they play in the movies, Shannon, They they I don't know. It's giving me like nineteen fifties.
Speaker 2: By It was a song that was actually written in the nineteen sixties by Connie Francis. She recorded this song and I don't even think it was a single. I don't even think it was a big deal back in the sixties. She you know, just put it on her you know, back then they had records, Mario, so she just kind of buried it on the on the backside of the record.
Speaker 3: And I love, Yeah, I love the way you talk to me like I don't know what records because I'm so young.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying like I'm just saying, like, now records are big again, but back in the sixties, that's that's all people had, Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you put it on the record player and the I guess the little string that you put on it, and then it starts to play. Am I right? Is that how good?
Speaker 1: What was a needle? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Needle? Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, I do have to explain some things.
Speaker 3: To you, the details.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, this song that was like not a big deal back in the sixties, is now it's gone viral on TikTok because people are now discovering this song and using this song and all their videos.
Speaker 1: It's called pretty Little Baby.
Speaker 2: It's trending, and now it's a big hit for her and she is still alive. In case you're wondering, she's eighty seven years old. But I just think that's really cool that a song that really wasn't that big of an ish, you know, big of a deal back in the sixties, it's now a huge hit.
Speaker 3: For six powers TikTok man power of TikTok and bring back songs like that and and make them popular all over again. I bet she's ecstatic here.
Speaker 2: She apparently didn't know what TikTok Tok was. Yeah, you know, like I've got TikTok, but I barely know what to do with it. You know, I have an account, but I just don't use it that much. But I think that is what's kind of cool about TikTok and trends is just you know, a song could exist for years and years and years and not be a song that anybody even knows, but then one.
Speaker 3: Person one of the more popular songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one person who's like a social media influencer can discover a song and then next thing you know, it's trending and the song just goes, you know, to the top of the charts, which I don't think did back when it was released to begin with.
Speaker 1: So I think that's kind of a cool sea.
Speaker 3: That's very cool, man, Yeah, very cool.
Speaker 2: The eyes of the horse racing world are on Baltimore Mario. Who's going to be crowned King of the Track? You can find out on the DK horse app, the number one download it horse betting app.
Speaker 1: Head to the app right now and opt in.
Speaker 2: Bet five dollars or more on a horse to win the stakes, and if your pit crosses the finish line first, you're gonna win a share of one hundred and fifty thousand dollars in the prize pool. Download the DK horse Racing app use code KSR. It's code KSR on DK horse. Bet five dollars or more on a horse to win the stakes. For your shot at a piece of one hundred and fifty thousand dollars only on DraftKings, the crown is yours. If you have a gambling problem, call Wing one hundred Gambler eighteen plus twenty one plus in certain states to open, own, or access an advanced deposit wagering account and a resident of state where dk horse is available. Eligibility restrictions apply void real, prohibit it often, and place at five dollars. Straight bet win on the Belmont Stix and first eligible bet only must win to share one hundred and fifty thousand dollars cash reward via click to claim. Expires in thirty days, ends on June seventeenth. See terms at dkhorse dot com slash bet, slash offer, slash details. I think they got the copy wrong because it says ends on five seventeen, and according to my calendar, it is now June fourth, so I don't.
Speaker 3: Think yes, right, that's definitely all right.
Speaker 1: I bet John Short knew who that was that I just played there?
Speaker 3: Do you know?
Speaker 1: Did you know who Connie frant This is? John Short?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I heard of her betting paytention me Venmore and patention Peo by the ridd and Leon Jenny cans Tante.
Speaker 1: Hell.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's my kind of.
Speaker 1: Me, always will be gotcha.
Speaker 2: We only got about thirty seconds, so you got to go quick, John, What do you got?
Speaker 5: I was like your base off season each we can tell you, but next year, but we can.
Speaker 6: Tell you make world series.
Speaker 5: I believe the All acc team Kentucky, Manville, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn Session Line, and two Mississippi schools. And we hope Murray be's bees yeahs today.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, we're definitely pulling for him.
Speaker 3: John.
Speaker 2: I hate to cut you short, but we're up against the break. Always good to hear from you. You're a great American. And yeah, we're gonna be pulling for Murray State over those dirty blue deal blue blue.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: That's right, go Razers, We'll be right back. KOSR Apre Show. All right, welcome back. It is the KSR pre Show. Shannon the Dude, Mario Maitland give us a call eight five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. All right, a couple of things, uh, south side, Chuck writes me at Shannon the Dude on Twitter. He said, Dude, the eyes of the horse racing world are on New York, June seventh, Saratoga, not Baltimore. Look that's what the copy says right here. Look, I'm not going to pretend to be a horse racing fan, so I don't know where your eyes are south Side Chalk, but my eyes are still on Baltimore. Just because your eyes aren't on Baltimore doesn't mean my eyes shouldn't be. No, this is this is old copy they gave me. I'm like Ron Burgundy and Anchorman Mario. I will read whatever you put in front of me.
Speaker 3: You just wanted to do your job. You wanted to read the ad. Yeah.
Speaker 2: When he's like when he was like, I'm Ron Burgundy, Like, who put a question mark on the telepropter?
Speaker 1: No this say is?
Speaker 2: This says Baltimore south Side Chuck, So maybe your eyes are in the wrong place. He also says that he would take five wins or it'll take five wins.
Speaker 1: For Stoops to keep his job. So I guess that he agrees with me.
Speaker 3: I you can't you can't have four again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think four is right on that line. I mean, you know, I could see possibly being a way.
Speaker 2: I think it depends on it. If he had four wins, it depends on how you got to four wins. Did you play all the teams tough?
Speaker 1: Like where you competitive?
Speaker 3: That's the big thing they're gonna lose. I man, say that you're gonna win every game. They're not gonna win every game, but these games that they can't get dusted out there on the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, let's say that you're not to be competitive, yes, and let's say that the way that they got to four was a win over Lovell and a big upset win, you know whatever that might be in the schedule. I think if you get there that way, then it's possible. But then that also means though that you probably lost to some really bad teams too, exactly. So I think that four is kind of that line. Five he's definitely good. Six were going bowling and we're all happy again. So it's just it's interesting to see kind.
Speaker 3: Of where fans my magic number six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, six. Six is gonna be tough.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be tough, but I believe, hey, if you string if those first three games, you start to get momentum and you you make it competitive. I mean, these guys, I know they have a different team every single year, but Stoops is one thing that he's capable of, and it's motivating these guys to go out there and actually fight like they fought against Georgia, like they fought against Ole Miss last season. I think if we can get that version of Snoops, we might have a chance to get the six.
Speaker 2: While we're talking about coaches, I want to ask you about this, Mario. You know, Matt talks a lot about the Reds on KSR. I'm an Atlanta Braves fan and a somewhat Pittsburgh Pirates fan, but this story involves the Atlanta Braves who just hired their former manager, Freddie Gonzalez back, but they're bringing him back as the third base coach after the Braves had a series of really bad base running errors that cost him a few games already this season, so they decided, you know what we need to do, we need to make some sort of change as a third base coach. They brought back their old manager as the third base coach. Now, I think this is interesting on a couple of different levels here because they're bringing back a guy who was once the manager that the head coach basically, you know, but they're bringing him back as just the third base coach number two. He is now working for Brian Snicker, who was once the third base coach for Freddy Gonzalez when he was the manager. So it's like a role reversal here where you know, a Snicker who's the manager, was the third base coach working under Freddy Gonzalez. Now Snicker's the head guy, and they're bringing back Freddy Gonzalez to work for Brian Snicker. So my question is to youa Mario, do you think that you could work for someone who you were once the boss of.
Speaker 3: That's tough, that's tough, man. I don't I don't know if I could do that, to be honest, But I mean I could see it, like there's a fact of there's a sense of being like humble, you know, like situations happen where you know, everybody's in a different position, everybody has to play a role in it. I don't know what the situation was with the Braves, but maybe he has something to do with like this is Gonzala, this guy, you know, him being a little bit more familiar with with the with the program, with the with the organization as a whole. So I don't know, man, I don't know, shit, I don't. I know. I'll tell you one thing. I know you wouldn't be able to do that.
Speaker 1: I don't know that you are you are you one hundred percent competent?
Speaker 2: I could, Yeah, it's interesting, like I've never really been well, I can't say I've never really been a boss.
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 2: When I was working part time at the radio station, I was fresh out of college. Radio station wouldn't hire me full time, so I had to look elsewhere.
Speaker 1: You know, you.
Speaker 2: Can't you can't live off of, you know, making seven eight thousand dollars a year, so I had to go out and find a full time job to pay the bills. And I ended up getting a job at a hospital. And I've talked about this before. I was like the head of environmental services, which is really a big fancy way of saying head over janitorial services. I mean, you know, and people with the are housekeeping, cleaning, cleaning the rooms and stuff, and you had to go around and make sure rooms were cleaned the stuff. So I was a boss over like, you know, twenty five thirty people, right, and that in that position could out work for somebody that was a housekeeper, and you know, I'm a supervisor and then let's say they get promoted over me.
Speaker 1: I probably could there. But now in this world in radio, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I don't know, like I've never really been a boss in radio, So I don't know, but that would definitely be I think awkward.
Speaker 3: But I could definitely not see you handling that. You don't think so, No, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, I guess if you need a job, and you know, it's still for Freddy Gonzales, even though he's not the manager anymore, he's still a part of the organization. And I think the Braves brought him in not because that he knows the players, because he didn't.
Speaker 1: He had to learn.
Speaker 2: He had to learn the players, and like you know, he has that familiarity what he does with the program.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing.
Speaker 2: I think the Braves know that he is, you know, a reliable guy and a good coach in general. So they felt like they needed to make a change mid season and they've done that, and you know, I think that it does.
Speaker 1: It does take a bigger man to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to take to take a job and work for somebody who you were once, you know, the the boss of exactly.
Speaker 3: A lot of a lot. You gotta definitely have some humbleness to you because that's that could be a pride. You can hit your pride, that can definitely hit your pride.
Speaker 1: Ye, Uh, let's go to the phones and talk to Jason. What's up, Jason? How are you? Why are you there?
Speaker 3: I hear a TV in the bag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, Jason. Are you there?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah? What's up?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 4: I'm just really mad to Brave suck Well.
Speaker 1: So you're a fellow Brekers fan like I am.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What's going on in the background there? It sounds like you're at like a meeting or a luncheon or something.
Speaker 1: What's happening Bobby Bone show? Oh you're listening to Bobby Bones and us at the same time.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we'll call in and tell Bobby Bones that Shannon the dude said, Hi, he won't. Oh, okay, we'll see. That's why you should listen to us and turn Bobby Bones off.
Speaker 1: Anyway. So what's on your mind other than the Braves being terrible?
Speaker 4: I'm really looking forward to Kentucky basketball.
Speaker 1: Oh we all are? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mark Pope, you know, he's put together a deep team this year, a more athletic team, an experienced team, you know, with a couple of guys coming in from the SEC from Florida and Alabama. I think he's just gonna have a hard time deciding who gets you know, how do we divide up the minutes between all this talent. I think that's going to be the biggest challenge.
Speaker 3: Especially in the backcourt. Man that backcourt with Aberdeen and Low and then you got Colin Chandler, Jasper Johnson Way those oh Way like oh Way has to play like he's guaranteed to play. You're looking at like a SEC Player of the Year candidate. I think he has the chance to be National Player to Year next season. I know some people might be saying you're pushing that a little bit too far, but if you look at his numbers, I mean you average sixteen around sixteen last season was very efficient and now you throw him in with that experience that he had last season, he's playing with better players around him. I think he's up for a National Player of the Year.
Speaker 2: Jason appreciate the call man, thanks for listening, and make sure you turn Bobby Bones off the KSR Appre show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think you're right. You know.
Speaker 2: Always thing is, it's no secret he needs to develop a three point shot. If he can do that, he can improve his draft stock. And I think that it's very likely that next year he could be a late first round pick, and I think that's the goal.
Speaker 3: I agree, I agree. I think last season he shot thirty eight thirty seven percent from three, maybe even higher than that. But he honestly, Man, he has a chance to be National Player of the Year. He's gonna be around better players, which is going to elevate his game. And if Kentucky's winning and he's he's performing at a high level, he's guaranteed to get that National Player of the Year spot. There's no Jordan. There's no more Jordan series, there's no more Johnny Broom. Those guys are all gone. So I for oh way in terms of getting that national play to you, free Bird, Hey, free Bird?
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 6: Good morning? Phillis What do you say, Mario?
Speaker 3: What's up? Man? How you doing?
Speaker 6: Good Man? How are you guys today?
Speaker 1: We are well man. What's what you got going on? What's on your mind?
Speaker 6: Oh? I'm driving up here for work. I'm up in Trible County. I don't know where that is in Man's book, but I just want to know what do you all think? Why are we keeping so much secrecy for the upcoming football season. I know in the past the media was on them they want to know everything and who's performing, who's not performing, and I haven't heard Badley.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, you know, I think that it could be, like like I was telling Mario a few different things. I think number one, it could be Mark Stoops having the mindset, well, uh, there's nothing that I'm going to be able to tell you know, fans in the off season that's going to make them any more excited.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you know, I could say that we're gonna be great, but that's not gonna change anybody's mind because I think the overall consensus for the fan base is we want to see you do it.
Speaker 1: You know, you have to show us something.
Speaker 2: You can't just get on here and say that you're going to be great because that's not going to hype up the fan base. We've heard that before. It's the same old song and dance. You got to go out there and improve it. So that could be part of it. The other part of it could be that quite frankly, they're just not that good and maybe he doesn't want to talk about it, and that's you know, that's also a possibility.
Speaker 6: Well you hate to hear that, and I say, we have one more year of Texas A and M not coming to Lake. Yeah, I mean some of these conference teams. I know the SEC is brutal, but it just seems some of these teams get a little bit lighter. I mean, Kentucky's just their schedule is just, I don't know the right word for it, brutal off the charts. Yeah, unbelievable, whatever adjective you want to use for that top.
Speaker 2: Ten toughest, Well, it's number seven, you know, if you go by the numbers, it's, as we said earlier, the seventh toughest schedule in all of college football. I think it is possible that this football team is better than last year, but you have maybe an equal or let's hope not worst record.
Speaker 1: But I think it's very likely.
Speaker 2: That you have, you know, the same win total was last year with a better team, and it just comes down to the scheduling of it. Free Bird, thanks for the call. I know you're driving out there. Hey, don't be zipper merging either. Okay, that's that's another thing.
Speaker 6: Not me, not me, I'm interesting.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: Thanks to the call, free Bird. That's another thing that people have been Yeah. That that that's the summer topic though, the zipper merge. Everybody's talking about the zipper merge. Are you a zipper merger Mario? Are you like Matt and you go all the way up to the very front where there's traffic and you cut off a semi truck to get up to where the exitd is.
Speaker 3: I can't do that. That is just that is not right, man. You can't when you merge. I can see I'm Matt has done it before, so I definitely I know he's done it plenty of times. But no, I'm not. I'm not a zipper merged guy.
Speaker 2: You've probably been in the car with him when he's zipper. I think there's a difference between zipper merging and just straight up cutting somebody off. Yeah, I think there is a difference there. I'll tell you another thing. Drivers don't know the word yield. They don't know what that means. I was on the way in this morning and nearly hit a car because I'm in like the far right lane, so other words, the slow lane. But then there's a car coming off of an exit trying to get onto the interstate where I'm at. And look, if you're the car on the ramp trying to get onto the internet. You're supposed to yield to the other cars that are already in traffic.
Speaker 1: This guy just boomed just right off of the ramp.
Speaker 3: People don't know how to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and runs me into the other lane.
Speaker 3: I'm like, man, this is people do not know how to job. But yeah, Yeah, the Kentucky football situation they have, like you said, Chinn, and they they've been a little quiet. Usually around this time last year, they were, they were doing stuff, and I'm hoping that they're gonna ramp things up. I saw an interview they put out with the quarterback. I think it was yesterday. I believe in and like, hopefully we will start to see, you know, them rapped it up because like you said, we don't really know much about this team. You know, we don't this is a this is a Kentucky football team. We don't really know much about it. Honestly, man, I'm looking forward to the season, but part of me is like e and maybe maybe they're just trying to be cautious and play at a cautious standpoint, and you know, we don't want to say too much until the season, you know, starts up. But yeah, I don't know, man, It's it's gonna be very interesting this this Kentucky football season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of uncertainty.
Speaker 2: Matt was asking me all of us last week to say something positive, and my answer was, well, you know what, we have the most experienced quarterback in all of college football. Yeah, this guy is already he's already been through six years of this all right, He's on a year seven. So we definitely have the most experienced QUARTERBA. I'm not gonna say he's gonna be the best, but he's got the experience. A five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. We'll take more of your phone calls. Coming up next for the final segment if the KSR pre Show, We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: It is the final segment of the KSR pre Show. Mario sitting in for Billy today. Haye five nine two eight oh two seven. We'll go back to the phones in just a minute. But first I got a couple of well, one's a kind of a fun topic. The other one's just freaky. But I want to I want to get your take on these two things here. Number one, I know you're not in the dating world, Mario, You're a taken man, but did you see that Tender is now testing a height filter on their app? So the way I understand this, I haven't been on Tender in forever. I was on Tender for about two weeks and then I got taken off the market and that was that I deleted the app. But apparently you can now pay for a top tier subscription on Tender that will allow you to filter out I guess basically short people, and I'm in asked it to know, like, like what is the minimum height that a woman would actually consider dating? You know, like, if you're trying to filter out, you know, a certain height, where do you draw the line? Is it five foot ten? Is it five foot nine? Would you date somebody five foot eight? And maybe this is a topic that I should have brought up tomorrow because I feel like we would have gotten like a lot of response from this. Maybe I should, you know, maybe we'll carry that over to tomorrow's show.
Speaker 1: But I'm number one.
Speaker 2: What is stopping somebody Like, let's say I'm on Tender, What's what's gonna stop me from saying, yeah, I'm six foot three.
Speaker 3: You know, guys lies about their heights all the time. Yeah, so they lie about it. Literally all the time. They do it. They add at least two or three inches, and they lie about their height. I don't. I don't know if I've ever met a a a girl who likes short men. Yeah, so I don't. I don't know if that Like, I don't. I like the filter. I get what it's trying to do. But you know there's at some point there's a line, right, but short people.
Speaker 2: Line too, though, I mean, come on, So I I guess, like what I'm saying that's true. What what's considered a short person? Is it less than five foot nine? Like, shorter than five foot nine?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 3: What's the average height? Is the average heights five? Is it five eleven or five to ten? Or is it five nine?
Speaker 2: For men in America? Let me see if I can quickly doole this average.
Speaker 3: I guess it's five five eight, five nine, okay.
Speaker 2: Average type for a man in America, it's five foot nine.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So I guess if you're five foot eight, that's considered short. If you're five foot nine, your average.
Speaker 3: Well, five foot eight is basically five foot nine.
Speaker 1: Okay. So you think you get an inch grace period, you get it?
Speaker 3: Okay, you get at least in it. You got the shoes, you got the shoes off.
Speaker 2: But what's the old saying? Though you give them an inch, they'll take a mile.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm sure you know.
Speaker 2: Guys, Guys that are five foot eight are probably saying, Y know, I'm six foot You know what.
Speaker 3: You can't do that. You cannot if you're five and eight, you cannot say you're six foot.
Speaker 1: Okay, we can't do that.
Speaker 2: But if you're five foot eight, you can say you're five foot nine, yes, okay, if.
Speaker 3: You're if you're five eleven, you can say you're six ft.
Speaker 1: If I'm five foot eight, can I say I'm five foot ten?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, So you're giving me you say two inches is fine? Two inches, Matt, Okay, you're drawing the line there. Okay. I'm just trying.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to get the parameters here, so if I ever have to go back to tender, I'll know what I can do.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the phone to talk forty.
Speaker 4: What's up forty, Hey, Shan, I got to bring up something that's completely off topic.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, you gotta go quick though. It only got two minutes left, and I got another caller all.
Speaker 6: Right, Mario.
Speaker 4: I think it was memorial to day y'all played the best up and they was giving you nine times the hell because you had a thing for Kevin Harland.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that's my guy.
Speaker 4: Man. Don't let them out.
Speaker 6: Don't let them old man give you too much.
Speaker 3: Hell.
Speaker 1: They didn't GRABK like me and you did.
Speaker 3: Oh, they don't know. They don't know at all.
Speaker 4: They ain't got a clue about two K man. They ain't got no idea.
Speaker 3: I had to say that to you.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you, thanks to the.
Speaker 1: Call for you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do give you a lot of you know, grief over your man crush for Kevin Harland.
Speaker 1: It's okay.
Speaker 3: He's a legend man, He's a legendary. Kevin Harland is a legendary.
Speaker 1: We've all got our favorites. Real quick, do is up next? Go ahead?
Speaker 4: Hey, looked up man. I heard your rant earlier staying about drivers, and I want to get my take in there real quick. Okay, if you're driving, pay attention to your lane because if it ends, you got to get over a lot of people. I catch driving down the road and I see their lanes about the end and I'm here, I'm like wait for you to come over, and you're just driving the last second and all.
Speaker 1: What whoa And then they look at you at your.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they're like, whoa.
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 4: And if it's raining and if it's snow when you're driving on bad roads, do not turn your flashes on. Come on, man, why do you drive with your flashes on?
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 4: Road and broke down?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, due, appreciate it, Thanks for the call.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Before when I see somebody's driving with their emergency flashes on, like yeah, this person is clearly scared to be on the road right now, so they they need all the.
Speaker 1: Way over to the rain.
Speaker 3: You don't do it when when it's raining, like really hard, you don't put the flash.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely not.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: I think I got the updated copy of The Eyes of the World are on New York this weekend.
Speaker 1: Who will be crowned the King of the Track?
Speaker 2: You can find out on the DK horse app, the number one downloaded horse betting app, and if your new customer signed up with promo code KSR, bet five dollars or more on a horse to win the Belmont Stakes. If you're pickingshes the line for cross the finish line. First, you're gonna win your share of a two hundred thousand dollars product that's even better than what I was talking about earlier. Two hundred thousand dollars only Draft Kings DK Horse at promo cod KSR.
Speaker 1: Mario, thanks for joining us and pleasure. We'll talk to you later