Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, hello, hey, hey, welcome to ball Chat. This is the sister podcast to Serial Killers. That's the podcast where we talk about cereal. This is the podcast where we just talk about whatever. And today is Wednesday, June seventh. We almost did not have a bowl Chat today, but Danielle stepped in to save the day. Danielle Dollila, welcome, thank you, Welcome to ball Chat.
Speaker 2: It's so exciting. I love bowls and I love the chat.
Speaker 1: You do love to chat. I mean I could seriously just be quiet now for the next thirty minutes and you can.
Speaker 2: I could talk. I can tell you the news. I can tell you what kind of shoes I'm wearing.
Speaker 1: You know, here's the problem. Okay, I don't want to say it's a problem because he gets very angry. But Andrew, yeah, okay, my partner in crime, my co host for many years now. You know, he wears many many hats.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, he's got a lot of hats that he is he.
Speaker 1: Actually should wear a hat. Is that hair I'm telling you he needs a haircut. Anyway. He does so many things here and his biggest problem is scheduling. Okay, like he should just block out fifteen minutes, thirty minutes. Yeah, once a week, just to do this a week. Well we do too, Okay, well that was that was That was for him. But what I'm saying is, and I'm not trying to be a dick in any way, shape or form, but in order for this podcast to be successful, we have to record. He's like, oh, I have intern interviews. Are you doing any intern interviews? No, I'm not, but you can schedule them for ten forty five instead of ten, and that way you have time to do this knet out. You know what, Let the interns who don't even work here wait, take care of your show first and then move on to the other things. I agree, but he's so very, very busy. So anyway, thank you very much for sitting in. Danielle dlo lo. We're both Long Island people. Yesout it so you're you were born on Long Island.
Speaker 2: I was born.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I that's a little bit south shore, right yeah. Yeah, so I'm not that I'm a north You know what, if you don't know Long Island, you have no idea, but you know, a Long Island looks like a big giant penis and the top part is the north Shore and the bottom part is the South Shore, and you know, it's a little bit different. But I'm kind of like right in the middle. But I guess we consider ourselves more north more north Shore than you are. But yeah, so we're Long Island kids from you know, way back, and we met here.
Speaker 2: I guess, no, I met you and I worked for Radio Disney. I don't know if you remember that, but you were at an event with Greg t Okay in New Jersey, right, and that's where I met you. And this was going back in like two thousand and four, two thousand and five, and ever since then, I know who you. I knew who you were. And then I remember when I came in for one of my last interviews and Tribeca you I saw you in the hole of the elevators. Yeah, do you remember that. It's like, oh, this gutty and you're like, how you doing? You know, you get your hand in your pocket.
Speaker 1: I distinctly remember that meeting. However, I had no idea who you were.
Speaker 2: That's so crazy.
Speaker 1: And I feel like such a jerk because I was like, yeah, yeah, you know, you had you have to do one of those. And I'm the worst at that because look, we meet a ton of people in this business all the time out in the street wherever, up here, celebrities and their handlers and whatnot, you know, and you see them every once in a while. And I'm the kind of guy that I cannot remember names. I know that. No, I know.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm so good at remembering names.
Speaker 1: I know that. I well, yeah, you're very good at it. I mean, I know that I had seen you at some point, but I had no idea. I couldn't place it, you know what I mean. So I just did one of those yeah, yeah, yeah, that's great. I'm very careful now not to say nice to meet you. I just always try to say good to see you, or nice to see you again, or whatever.
Speaker 2: I do the same thing, oh good to see you again. Or they'll say, oh, no we never met Oh you look like somebody I met before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I just I don't feel like a jerk. And then after the fact, like we've been here so many times, and I know, I'm like, oh, I'm so sorry, so.
Speaker 2: And now we're pals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know what. I'm also very interested in. You also are a very established photographer.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: I love your photos.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: How did that all come about? Oh?
Speaker 2: Man? Okay, So in twenty twelve, I was working at Hofshi University and I was on campus and we on campus there's tulips. They're very well known for the tulips.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: So I went and I took my BlackBerry. Do you remember black I do.
Speaker 1: Actually had mine in here the other day, no way, because they were making fun of me that I still had one. It's not the only thing that functions on it that I use is the alarm. I use it to wake me up every morning. It actually still connects to Wi Fi believe it or not, but it's not. Yeah, but it doesn't like you can't use it as a phone or whatever. But I still I still have it. I use it every morning. Yeah anyway, No, that's okay.
Speaker 2: So I started taking photos on my BlackBerry, and my friend at work was like, Danielle, you have an eye. You have a really good eye. I said, oh, well, thank you. So then I started dabbling in photography more and more and more, and then I wound up buying myself my first camera. It was a Canon T three iye rebel. And then I just went out and I went to the beach. I went to Brooklyn. I took pictures of the Brooklyn Bridge, and then after that it just everyone's like, oh wow, this is gorgeous. Oh my god. Then I bought another camera, more fans camera. Are you making No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, not at all. I mean I'm from there, so I get it. Yeah, but you don't because you know I paid to get rid of it. But that's cool.
Speaker 2: So yeah, So that ever since so eleven years now, I've been doing photography.
Speaker 1: Do you do weddings and stuff or not? You haven't really dabbled in that.
Speaker 2: So I do event photography sometimes. But I gotta tell you, I hate taking pictures of people. I hate it. It's so annoying. At least with the sun, you don't have to tell oh, smile this and that freaking guy's gotta oh smile and then his eyes are closed. I gotta take another picture, at least with the sun. You know.
Speaker 1: It's just in case you didn't realize that Danielle is New York on a cracker, you know, can we I have to actually back up because I mean, some people know who you are because of Elvis Durranchau. You're on every once in a while, But who are you and what do you do? Why are you here?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Oh my god? Well, so I'm Danielle. It's a little loud from Franklin Square along island that Scottison. I actually live in Long Beach now on the boardwalk, which is great. I don't live under the boardwalk. I live yet No, not yet. The rent is getting up there, so I might have to move under the boardwalk. But I started in radio in nineteen ninety seven at Hofstra University at w r h U.
Speaker 1: I listened to that every once in a while. I do eighty nine eight okay yep.
Speaker 2: And then from there I interned at PLJ and MTV, and I got my first job on the air at ninety two point seven w l I R. I did overnights and did.
Speaker 1: You talk like that?
Speaker 2: I did talk a little bill of Doucer okay now, But I actually can shut off my accent, which is I think.
Speaker 1: Is that's a plus?
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if you ever had a move to like Des Moines, you could kind of be neutral if yeah, if.
Speaker 2: I moved to des Moines, I can kind of lose the accent. I don't know. I think people will still hear it, of course, but yeah. So I've been in promotions and marketing since nineteen ninety.
Speaker 1: Eight ninety nine, And what's your title here now?
Speaker 2: I'm a promotions director and artist relations director publicity. I also oversee the Duncan Latte Lounge. All the emerging artists come in and perform.
Speaker 1: Is there coffee in there?
Speaker 2: Sometimes? Okay? Yeah? Sometimes if I feel like go get in the box of jel, I bring it in.
Speaker 1: Oh, they didn't move the big fancy machine.
Speaker 2: Can you believe it's still there?
Speaker 1: Are you serious? That's insane?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have to move it.
Speaker 1: What's a dunkin lounge without dunkin coffee?
Speaker 2: Well, now we're getting between us. We're getting like some coffee spouts in there.
Speaker 1: Coffee spouts, Yeah, they just spouts, yep. Okay. I don't think there's any plumbing in there.
Speaker 2: But there is actually, Oh i'll show you later. Okay, there's a little thing in there you put the water.
Speaker 1: I'd like for you to show me you're plumbing. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you want to see my plumbing.
Speaker 1: So you've been here for a long time now, I'm.
Speaker 2: Here seven years. This is my dream job working at iHeart, which was Clear Channel and when Elvis and everyone started what ninety six, I was like, oh, I want to work there one day.
Speaker 1: But you were just you were in diapers.
Speaker 2: Know it wasn't. I was in high school, Okay, wasn't. I graduated high school in nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 1: All right, so then you're just a little bit younger than me. That's a little I mean in let's see, today is the seventh So on the fifteenth of this month, I will have been here for twenty eight years.
Speaker 2: Get out of here.
Speaker 1: June fifteenth, nineteen ninety five was my first day here. Isn't that insane?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I was nineteen. I was nineteen, and I'll never forget my every first day here. They asked me to pull the big van out of the garage. Oh god, it was this giant It was a nineteen eighty something, the biggest piece of crap with old logo whatever. And I pulled it out of the garage and I was driving up metal Land Parkway because the station was in Secaucaus at the time, and like, I had a smile from ear to ear that you could not break. I was like, I cannot believe that I'm driving the Z one hundred truck and I worked for Z one hundred. Like that was it. That was insane, right at My very first event was that day they took me out. It was myself and an intern and we went to the New York City Public Library in the city, the one with the lions everything there, and we were giving out RCA draft cola. It was Brandon, you know. So we were sampling RCA draft cola in bottles and I was carrying a cooler and I dropped it as I was walking up the steps and there was broken glass all over the place. I felt like the big I couldn't believe that they didn't fire me that day. But it was you know, Bill Hesselberg.
Speaker 2: Bill.
Speaker 1: So Bill was just sitting in the truck, sitting in the street park there because he was just watching laughing. He was just he just had it was just face palm before there was a face palm emoji. He was the face palm emoji. And I was like, what do I do you know? And I was just I'm picking up pieces of glass. People are laughing at me. It's all sticky crap everywhere. But that was my very first experience in my first day at Z one hundred, and I'll never forget it. I never forget it.
Speaker 2: I remember my first day as an intern at PLJ. They asked me to stock the refrigerator with orange juice. Okay, And you know what I did, Scottie.
Speaker 1: The best job you could I did.
Speaker 2: I made sure all the labels were straight and foward. I made sure it was no pulp some pulp, yes, pulp. I made sure that refrigerator looked its best.
Speaker 1: Attention to detail. Yeah, we had a tropicana refrigerator in the promotion's office in Secawka is probably around the same time, so they would send us cases and cases of tropicana and I had to stock that refrigerator as well. And I would still do it today because you know what, I'm not above any job here. I really don't same. It's true though, I like, I still get the trucks inspected, oil changes. I still do that since since nineteen ninety five. That was my job and I still do it to this day. That's insane with pride and joy.
Speaker 2: Pride, joy, Yeah, look at you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know I'm a little bit grayer now.
Speaker 2: So am I. But I get I get it. I just got it done on Monday.
Speaker 1: That's That's one thing that I've always said I'm never gonna do. I'm not gonna dye in my hair. I don't nice. Well, thanks, it is. The longer it is, the more gray you can see. And if I don't put gel in my hair, definitely it's very much more salty. Like yesterday, I didn't have a lot of gel in it, and it was much so like you see over here my sidebirds. They're very they're gray. My whole head looks like that. But for some reason, the gel like makes it not salty.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it. I like it too, and I vowed that I'll never die it. It is what it is. I mean, I would like to diet, but I will never dye it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know I need a dyet too.
Speaker 1: It's weird because I was I was down to like one eighty four, like four or five months ago in a back at. Really yeah, you know, I cut out a ton of stuff, and slowly they've worked their way back in.
Speaker 2: I just I don't know I did that. I cut out all carbs and sugar, and I mean I was eating vegetables all day. You had to see me at my desk. I was eating string beans like it was candy fried. No, it was a Friday. I went to the grocery store and I got them. I got the big five pound bag and there I was eating string beans all day.
Speaker 1: You know, are you a vegetable grower? Do you have? No?
Speaker 2: I do not.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't have room now, right, Okay, I got When I.
Speaker 2: Had my house, I always wanted to grow vegetables, but guess what, I only grew flowers.
Speaker 1: It's good to take pictures of. It's very upsetting to me because this is the first year in I can't even remember it, like since I've had the house in you know, two thousand and seven or whatever, but even before that on my parents' house. This is the first year that I don't have a full on vegetable garden. I have one tomato plant, I have two cucumbers, and and I think that's it because the weeds. I know, I sound like an idiot, but the weeds are so obnoxious. They just take over the whole thing, and by the time it's like it's not even worth it. Yeah, you know, so I don't know. It's upsetting because I like to eat.
Speaker 2: You grow, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I like that. Too. But I know my grandparents used to grow basil in the.
Speaker 1: Backyard tomatoes and can make their Sunday sauce. Yes, tomatoes and they're spices, but.
Speaker 2: They're not here anymore. Herbs. I know herbs. I went to high school.
Speaker 1: Him, Yeah, I bet they bet they're a bunch of herbs in your high school.
Speaker 2: Yes, a ton. So did you go to high school?
Speaker 1: I went to high school and plain View, which is which is weird because my kids go to the same schools as we do, as I did, you know, and it's it's it's crazy, it's crazy. And the nuttiest thing was that my oldest daughter had a teacher in elementary school that was there when I was there, which is insane. If I would have had that teacher, it would have been full circle. But that when I was in fourth grade. It was her very first year there.
Speaker 2: Oh that's why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she's still there. She's still there now.
Speaker 2: She don't want to retire you.
Speaker 1: No, Well, she's not that old. I mean, you think about it. It's I don't know, forty years ago.
Speaker 2: So she started being her sixties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if she started right out of college, she was twenty two or whatever it is. And she's probably maybe maybe sixty five at best at this point, which is still relatively young. I mean, you know, so it's it's weird because when we were kids, it didn't matter. Every teacher was old, even if they were in their twenties. Ah yeah, old battle axe.
Speaker 2: When I went to Swanka, my mother went to Swanka and you know Swanica, I do, yeah, four o'pock. So my mother had Miss Foreman as a gym teacher. It was her first year. And then I had Miss Foreman back in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: And she's like, oh, you look familiar. I said, Oh my mother had you. Oh my god, your mother had me.
Speaker 1: She goes, I'm not the it's just it's crazy though. But I mean, a career is I don't know, thirty forty years at least, right, so it's bound to happen.
Speaker 2: It's oh yeah, and it's very rare in now a business to have a career of.
Speaker 1: Fat all right. And no, I always tell people when I when they asked me how long I've been here. It's that's not normal in radio year, like in radio years, I've been here two hundred years, right, you know, exactly that's crazy because and it's a very nomadic business, at least it used to be. Anyway, you know, people would move all around the country before they would finally settle down in one place. They'd be there for a bunch of years, and then they'd get fired from there and they'd move somewhere else. But I mean, I've been incredibly lucky that I started my career on Long Island. I started to be Ali when I was fifteen.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I can't believe right.
Speaker 1: So I was there fifteen sixteen, seventeen eighteen. I moved to Iowa when I was eighteen. Here's your seat, A rapid shout out, Andrew. And I was there for ten months or eleven months, whatever it was. I always get the number wrong. But I was there from from June until May, so it was ten or eleven months.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And then I came back from Iowa and I started working here in June of ninety five, and I've been here ever since.
Speaker 2: Can you believe that?
Speaker 1: No, I can't. And I love it as much as that first day, smiling ear to ear down the Medland Parkway. I still wake up every morning at three fifty two and it's miserable, but I'm like, I'm going to do the job that I love. Yeah, you know, I mean, look, it may not pay the bills sometimes, but trust me, I know. I always like, is it better for you to be happy in what you do and just kind of get by or be miserable like a lot of people I know are they're in finance or they're in you know whatever, and they're miserable. They hate their lives, they hate their jobs. But you know what, they got three Mercedes in the driveway. Yeah, I mean, I there's got to be some happy medium there somewhere.
Speaker 2: But I agree. And it's it's funny you say that because I look at my friends who went to college for marketing or finance blah blah blah, and that's what they do. Like that's it, you know, Like for us, we can do a plethora of things, plan events, do production, do audio and do now we got you know, video stuff and radio which you know they say video kill the radio star go.
Speaker 1: It's happening again, right exactly.
Speaker 2: So you know, it's funny when when people are just like, oh, I do finance, I work with numbers. Okay, is there anything else you could do? No? Not really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's you're kind of you're stuck doing one thing. But anyway, look, this was wonderful talking to you. Thank you for sitting in. Normally we go longer than this, but they just finished up in there, and I need Elvis to come in here and record his commercials. And he's gonna come banging on the door in a minute.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he'll join us for a chat.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much for listening to bowl chat. Sorry that it was so short, but how to give you something because you know, Andrew's doing his thing and I can't knock him. I just wish that he would get to schedule a little bit better. I'll help him with yes, please, yeah, I'll help. You're very multifaceted, so you can help with them. Please follow us on all platforms at serial Killers PC. You could check out our serial website serial killerspc dot com and we'll see you on Monday with an all new episode of serial Killers. Until then, say clink, Danielle DeLillo.
Speaker 2: Oh you just here.
Speaker 1: You get to drop theas in here ready, say clink clink Ooh?
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Say something very New
Speaker 2: York, very New York, very good.