Speaker 1: This episode of Busting with the Boys. The Boys is presented by Barstool Sports. All right, we're busting with the boys. There's no real there we go. I see the excitement back there. We don't have We don't really do many like just straight in like intros. See, we don't gotta wait for me to be like, Okay, this is busting with the boys. You do this, blah blah blah. Have you listened to us?
Speaker 2: I love I love love the pod. Dude.
Speaker 1: Let's go, hey boys, there we go with some energy.
Speaker 2: I was the delaining one, was the one that got me hooked. So oh that was our first one. That was just just that dude. Is he not like that's awesome because you see him around town, like he'll go out to dinner and have like his people and like I so you see that dude out. I've seen him like at Red Door, and I've seen him at like on the you know East Side.
Speaker 1: Was that Ernest? Is that Ernest?
Speaker 2: We got Ernest?
Speaker 1: Ernest? Ernest Keith always call him know he's about to crash the pod in this case Smith, but this is gonna be a great pod. We got Ryan Hurd, We got Ernest about the crash. We got country music all over the place. You have something, you have something coming out soon, don't you. Yeah, man, I have an EP coming out on on Friday. So that's the I don't know what I am lost on dates and days, but yeah, whenever this comes out, we don't know.
Speaker 2: Yet twenty sixth of June, so that when it is Friday, two days now.
Speaker 1: Explain this is gonna be a stupid question. Explain to me what EP means, Like, why is that so?
Speaker 2: EP is?
Speaker 1: Album?
Speaker 2: Is all right? In music back in the day when you were making records, you'd have like forty fives and you'd have like thirty threes and seventy eight's, but they abbreviated, uh EP. It means extended play, but for some reason we use it to say a shorter album. So basically EP is usually like a four, five, six song record that you put out and you know, because you know, it takes, you know, so much of a marketing push to put out like a full like twelve song album and just it's really expensive to do it. A lot of times newer artists like me put out, you know, a four or five song collection just to like get new mus out there. And to like build a brand and to build a fan base. But this one's different because I've put out like three original ones, but this one is like kind of B sides and alternate versions of songs because I when I got to Nashville, I went to college at Belmont, but I started writing songs for other people. So that's been my job here for eight years, nine years now. And then I've along the way gotten a record deal and started like pushing my own music out at the same time. But this EP that comes out on Friday is songs that I've written for other people with my voice on them.
Speaker 1: So songs that So you're saying, you've already written these songs for other people and they've already been put out, Yeah, and now they're going to be in your voice because you wrote them.
Speaker 2: Sure, they're like hits I've written for other people. And then a live version of a song that is on one of my records called Wish for the World is on there. And then it's just all recordings of songs I've written for other people.
Speaker 1: So we'll back up to you said nine years ago you started writing in Nashville, So when you're writing songs for other people, and then you start getting your own gigs. How are you implementing yourself as you're writing songs for other people and all this is just killer? Are you kind of like a could I sing it?
Speaker 2: Maybe? I don't know. Man, it's so hard to get your song recorded by somebody else that you sort of when it happens, it's just a massive victory. So I look at what I do in Nashville, it's like two different shoes. It's like I got a right foot in the left foot, and I can't really imagine doing one without the other. Because like a lot of people have found out about me as a as an artist because of the songs I've written for other people. And then on the other side of that, a lot of artists that I've toured with and stuff have I've had a lot of opportunities to like write with and for them because they've you know, seen me as an artist and liked, like to a tea or something that I've put out like on my own name. So they sort of like feed each other like weirdly like separate businesses, but they are really complimentary.
Speaker 1: So were you was your goal when you were starting to like obviously be a musician a singer where you are now? But when you're writing at first, or is that something that you're just separating the entire time, Like you weren't expecting somebody to be like, hey, you seem like you got a nice voice?
Speaker 2: Now? Was the other way around? I wanted to be a writer because I just think it's the coolest job in the world. Man, Oh really, Yeah. I wanted to write songs because when I got here, I was like, wait a minute, there's people who just write the songs. They don't have to tour, they don't have to And I wasn't. I didn't like find my singing voice really until I was like a couple of years into my writing, I don't think, because it's mostly like singing is just about style. Yeah, I mean some people can rip. Like my wife is Maren Morris, and she's just like obviously a.
Speaker 1: Very yeah, she's like that, she's like the stud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she can sing. She's got like one of those voices that's like, well that's not normal. That's but for guys like me most I think most people who work in country music, it's like you sort of are more of a stylist than a vocalist. Half the time. So like, I didn't find that until I had written some songs for other people, and like people started sort of copying my voice on their records. And that's when I started getting looks from like record companies. And I actually said no a couple of times. It's like, man, I just want to this is getting rolling for me. I just want to write stay home. And then so you prefer being the writer. Well then eventually I was like, ah, I gotta try this. Yeah, I don't know, it's cool, man, it's hard. I mean a lot of work being the artist on that. Like it's the artist part is like ninety percent not music, like all.
Speaker 1: This stuff that goes in behind somebody.
Speaker 2: It's not like you're going to go like like I don't know, there's not a whole lot of music that goes on. It's mostly like doing busting with the boys, but not that fun. Yeah, that makes sense. You're doing a whole lot of press, and you're doing a whole lot of like just work with radio stations. But it's mostly just like riding on a bus waiting around to play, you know. That's what being an artist is, and then doing all the press and all this stuff. Around it. But when you're a writer, you're one hundred percent creative all the time. And that's the coolest part about that, and that's you know you do. You don't get like the glory of it. You know, you don't like have like two thousand people screaming your song back back at you when you're the writer. But you get a lot of respect in town, and you get obviously.
Speaker 1: A lot of respect where it matters the most.
Speaker 2: Sure from like those artists and those people in town that really respect it. And there's a whole like songwriting community that's really special. And so I'm really lucky to get to do both things. Man, I get to like still write songs for other people. I've had a really cool year honestly as as a writer, and then had my first ever my song to a t went platinum like a month ago, which is crazy.
Speaker 1: Oh let's go, we got platinum? Boys, Yeah, Zach, where you at, Chase? You got to partake in the clapping? I don't know, you get I don't know if you get it.
Speaker 2: My tour manager Chases here and he's a huge part of everything we do. And but then you know, I don't know, it's been it's just been a cool sort of like this is the balance I've always wanted to strike and I find gotten to do that.
Speaker 1: That's fucking awesome, dude. I know, uh, like from the outside looking in and you talk to people who like Ernest, I know he has a lot of respect for writing and people who write, but they were they're not like the voice because when you're I guess uh, ignorant too, you just think the artist makes this, like they write it, they do all this stuff. And then now that since I've moved here and you get to talk with people like yourself, like Ernest, you realize there's so like a lot of those people they just funnel the song and they're just kind of the face to to the song or to the album.
Speaker 2: Hey man, you need a vehicle, right, you need a bus?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, it it's crazy. I know Ernest because we have just started writing together, you know, in the last year, and he's one of the Honestly, there's there's not a lot of people who swing a different hammer. Like most people you sit down with, you're like, okay, we can write a great song. Every it feels like everybody's the same amount of talented, and then you meet people like arn Or, like Michael Hardy or or Maren honestly, honestly, Maren's best songwriter I've ever ever encountered.
Speaker 1: Your wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we started we got we met writing songs, so I believe that way before we were actually together. But but like there's those dudes that you meet like like arn Or, like Hardy or you're just like, oh my god, this guy, this guy.
Speaker 1: Well they kind of separate.
Speaker 2: I guess they just spit brilliance and you're like, I'm just recording you. Like that's what I did with Ernest when we wrote a Heartless for Diplo and Morgan Wallen, and half of that is just like me like with my phone, sticking it in front of Ernest and like just recording it so that we could go back and make sure we had it down like that and that I mean, that dude's just a brilliant guy.
Speaker 1: And then you guys are doing that and then you kind of give the product to the voice you want to match.
Speaker 2: Man, it's so hard. So we each have called publishers. They're like record companies for songwriters. They own or they are partners with you and in you know your copyright. But what they do is they like book your calendar. So they're like, you know, yesterday I wrote with with Hardy and Monday I wrote with a Buddy Matt and Ross Kopperman. But like they book a calendar and then they take the songs and the demos that you make and they pitch them out to artists and labels, and so they're the ones who are supposed to like exploit the music and get it recorded. But like, it's just funny how songs find a way.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: It's like, uh, they're all like undrafted free agents. Yeah, but I mean it's like how do you like they just go through each little step and eventually they like a miracle happens. It's like so like oh this sometimes I'll send a song to somebody, or I'll write it with the artist. And I wrote a song with Kane Brown called Worldwide Beautiful, and that's one that just like was sort of like a magic like magic, you know what I mean. And some days it's magic, but other times it's like the song goes through like this manager and then like they show the artist and the artist holds it and then they record it and then like it's like a series of like ten coin flips all coming up heads in order to have a hit on the radio. And that's like what we're all going for is just to like have those big hits. So but publishers help with those ten coin flips.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: You're the ones who get like make sure each step is they're trying to get the song heard by whoever can make decisions to record and put them out.
Speaker 1: So gotcha. So that's that's where the importance of like is the publisher kind of the same as the label.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but on the writing side, gotcha, they're Yeah, they're important.
Speaker 1: They're awesome, man, signing with those teams, like when people sign deals and stuff, because sometimes you wonder, like if somebody's very good at music, why would they sign with anybody if they can kind of get it out themselves. So that's that's me thinking that not having any idea.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it's easy to do that now and it's ever been. And a lot of these dudes who are like a lot of these guys who get it moving on their own then partner with a label, like they own a lot of that stuff. It's like most people the label owns a lot of the artists to like do like a joint venture with the label, so like it's kind of swinging back like in favor of the artists now in a cool way because of the way people listen to music now, because of the Internet, because of.
Speaker 1: Some more leverages came to the Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're but uh man, it's a cool time to make music, especially in Nashville. Like I everybody feels like everybody wants a piece of what we're doing, and that's that's really cool. I mean, Maren did the Middle with z Diplo made a country record. It feels like every country artist is getting like a pop artist to like feature on their big hits, Like Gabby Barrot just had Charlie Pooth on hers. So it just it feels like Nashville is like in a really great spot as a genre. And you know, you could always have all these people who like love or don't love what's happening on music. Row. I just I'm like a head down guy. I just put my head down and keep doing my thing and don't like read too much about like what's country and what's not. But I do love, like I do think that we're in a really cool spot as a genre and as a just as a creative city, because this is the best music town in the world. Oh bar none, there's not. It's not even close to me as far as like the songwriting community, the proximity that everybody has, and just like the overall talent. I just it's amazing how much great music is made here, whether you've whether it is released or not.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you have much of Like, you know, how everybody argues like, oh, this is more country than that, and like the old days and the new stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm not Sturgil and I know it, and that's okay with me. And you know, there's going to be those dudes who just want to listen to that stuff and that's great and it's not like a I think that's absolutely country music, obviously probably more traditional country music than what we do. But yeah, you know, that's just so funny the way that the internet works. It's just all these like genre lines have blended so much. And I don't know, I'm not that worried about that conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 2: I'd love to make like like a really like a much more traditional country record at some point, but I've sort of gone down this lane now where I get to I've sort of created a sound and it's really it's created a fan base and I really have enjoyed that part of it. And it's not super traditional country at all. So I'm just never not going to be that. I'm not going to win that one. Yeah, and I know I'm fine with it.
Speaker 1: What do you enjoy doing more writing or touring and kind of doing the whole musician thing.
Speaker 2: I can't. I don't know. Writing is great until you get burnt. And so the fun part about being like doing both is that I very rarely get like burnt out on writing.
Speaker 1: Because when you feel like you're starting to get burned it.
Speaker 2: As much as I used to used to be like when you get going, you're writing like five or six songs a week and just you run out of ideas and sort of get feels like work a little bit more like you're trying to force it. Right now, I'm writing like two or three a week, and I feel like I hit the bulls eye a little bit more. Yeah, just because of my mind is fresh and I usually have ideas and I'm only writing with people that I love. I'm not trying out a whole new bunch of news. It's just a cool thing to like feel like I feel like I'm in my prime a little bit. Yeah, like as a creative person. And I don't know, it's been cool to uh, it's been cool to like get into that spot. But I miss touring, man, I miss the people the most. I don't miss airplanes, but I miss like my bus. Yeah, we we have a cool crew. And miss my boys, and I miss like obviously, like we have a really cool road situation and it's like we have like a mixed bus. We have girls and guys on it. Everybody's working and everybody it's always a really like great mood and we just we did it like my headline tour. Just I mean the last two weeks got canceled because of this ship. But I missed that and I miss I miss electric guitars. Yes, I miss I missed my people though, That's what I miss.
Speaker 1: Do When when do you get to go on the road next?
Speaker 2: Or do you know I'm supposed to play Labor Day weekend?
Speaker 1: Chase, what the hell we'll see? Where are we going?
Speaker 2: Tom? Just Chase is just waiting for the same thing I'm waiting on. That's exactly right, waiting for somebody to go.
Speaker 1: You just you just set it up whenever you get the green light, exactly Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chase is a tour manager. So anything that has to do with moving me from point A to point B is Chase's job.
Speaker 1: He doesn't he doesn't set up point A and B.
Speaker 2: No, that's booking agents do that. Uh. I have an agent at William Morris who books all of my live performances. I wrot the shows. And then you have a manager who's sort of like the sea oh oh of what you're doing. Yeah, and then there's just so many people involved. You have a record company, agent, manager, what else tour manager?
Speaker 1: Is it? Is it dumb to to assume that you and your wife, you guys have kind of the same team, or do you guys?
Speaker 2: Actually we do have.
Speaker 1: We have the same managers, Okay, And so you guys kind of work with like a lot of the same people we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And our bands are really close, Like we've they all worked really closely together. We've toured together quite a bit, played a lot of the same festivals and I we were gonna tour this year. I was gonna open a handful of her like headline shows because we just had a baby, and so that's kind of I don't know, I didn't really want to be away from him all that much. And she obvious.
Speaker 1: You got a boy, right, what's his name? His name is Hayes Andrew. Shout out Hayes Andrew. When when when was he? When was he born?
Speaker 2: March twenty third of this year.
Speaker 1: So he's a co he's he's a COVID baby. Well, yeah, pandemic. He was born in the pandemic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were. It was like the first week that they had like shut the hospital down. It was crazy and no visitors, just me and like some people start like other places, not here, but like you were hearing stories about like like Dad's not being able to go because of this stuff. Like I don't know, maybe that happened, maybe it didn't, but we were terrified and uh, no visitors, which actually, looking back, like that's okay, Like it was just kind of cool to like be have your moment and then like my parents and her parents came over like when we got home. But yeah, it was. It was terrifying. Man. It's got like doctors wearing like face shields and shit.
Speaker 1: And like, oh my god, this is not knowing how serious it.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, yeah, that's it. But it's been it's been cool, man, different like we've we've been like really, I don't know. I feel like when you do what we do, we don't have to ever have to grow up. And and so now it's like we can be we still have that lifestyle you have to there's this one little thing you have to be responsible for it every day. So it's a little bit different, but we're we're figured it out.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: The cool part about not being able to tour is we get to be home for a second, and I would have missed some stuff that I'm glad that I had time at home for, Like I would have missed He's just like little things, man. You like wake up in the morning and you see him and he's like, oh my god, he's bigger. Yeah, And I can't imagine like I would have had to do I think three weekends now away from them, and I can't imagine like coming back after one of those weekends and being like, oh my god, like he grew so now. But now I see him every day and eventually that's not going to be the case. And we're gonna have to go back to life as we need it to be. But but right now it's cool to be home.
Speaker 1: Now, say you and your wife, you guys tour together. Will will the baby like tour with you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Maren has a bus that is like fitted outfitted for a baby. So it's like we have like our apartment in the back, and then there's like a bunk that has a crib in it and a baby monitor and a noise machine, and then like the we have somebody who like stays next to him and the bunk across from him because we have to have help out there just because there's so much stuff going on. And he goes to bed at seven o'clock and rock shows don't start till nine, so we have some help out there. And then yeah, man, there's some other stuff that she got just that's baby specific.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we have a bus that sounds like a bus we need to look into boys, an apartment in the back. Yeah, a baby crib for a tailor. Make sure keep a monitor on him. He can't do anything on his own, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, Dude's Yeah, my bus is just twelve bunks and we go. We i'd town to town and have a good time. But yeah, no babies on that one yet, no dogs or babies.
Speaker 1: It's probably benefits. It's probably a benefit too to touring with your wife's because don't people go on the road and they're gone for hell. I don't know how long. How long is like an average tour.
Speaker 2: I mean we well in Nashville, it's different because we can do weekends because we're in the middle of the country. So yeah, we usually do like a ten day run out west ten to fourteen days like West Coast. Yeah, and then we'll do like Maren will do like a ten day Europe run a lot like every year every other year. But that's basically it. So then we can leave most of the time like Wednesday night, play Thursday, Friday, Saturday, be home Sunday. That's generally the rhythm that people in Nashville have except for with the exception of West Coast and Europe. And then these people have been playing like festivals in Australia too, which is a long way to go. So I haven't done that yet, but maybe we will someday. That's dope, man.
Speaker 1: This episode of Busting with the Boys is brought to you by Whoop and I am stoked that Woop is on board and sponsoring the Boys because it makes the most sense for our podcast being an athlete being athletes, and Whoop being the best fitness tracker in the game. They're partnered with the NFLPA, so everybody in the NFL gets a free Whoop strap or gets strapped with a Whoop. Everyone in the PGA Tour is strapped with a Whoop because it measures your respiratory rate, so people are wearing the Whoop strap to help determine early signs of COVID. The shit is awesome. I've been aware since twenty sixteen. I'm a huge advocate of Whoop and any athlete out there listening. Anybody in the fitness anybody looking to measure their health get a Whoop. You should be wearing a Whoop strap. Check them out. They're a wearable fitness tracker on your wrist that provides personalized insights on the performance of your sleep, how recovered your body is, and how much stress you put on your body throughout the day from your workouts, daily life stressors. All of it. Whether you're already in shape or looking towards being healthier. Woop help provides actionable insights that are personalized and tailored to you. What's great with Whoop is that every day when you get up, you get a recovery score based on your HRV, which is heart rate variability. It's literally the variance in time between the beats of your heart you're resting, heart rate and sleep performance. That can be used as an indicator on how to approach your day and training. So, for example, if you get green recovery or you're at a high percentage your body is ready to take on a lot of strain that day, that's a sign that you can have a more intensive workout. But if it's red, or say below thirty percent, that's a signal that you might want to take a rest day, pull back a little bit, and have an active recovery day. The Whoop app even has built in features like a strain Coach, which actually gives you target exertion goals to work out optimally for the level of intensity your body is signaling that it can handle. If you're not sure what type of training your body is ready for, this is an awesome feature to keep you from overtraining and just to let you know where you're at every day and based on how strenuous Torday is. The app has a built in sleep coach, which actually lets you know how much sleep you should be getting so you can wake up and be recovered based on your performance goals, which you can set. The sleep coach, the sleeping that measures how how long you're awake, when you're in bed, how you're in light sleep, rem sleep, deep sleep, all of it. Dude, This the shrap is amazing for our listeners. Whoop is offering fifteen percent off with the code busting at checkout. Go to woop Whoop dot com enter busting at checkout to say fifteen percent. I cannot recommend Whoop enough for anybody in the game of sport, fitness or health, sleep better, recover, faster, train smarter, optimize your performance with the boys with Taylor and I, and get on this Woop game. Get on this Whoop train with us. Shout out the boys at Whoop. I'm fired up, man, I'm wearing one right now. I just want to get on there and watch my dad and track all my ship all day long. Anyway, Uh, but seriously, go to Whoop fifteen percent off used code busting at checkout w h O O P dot com. You gotta rock and you gotta a rock and family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, it's been cool.
Speaker 1: You guys are kind of like a power family.
Speaker 2: I have a good a good Maaron's just a really great partner and really supportive of my music. And it's been cool to like watch her become a superstar. And you know, I I love my career too. And it's they're they're very separate, but very I don't know, they just fit together really nicely our lives. It's taken a couple of years, but I feel like we have a really cool rhythm with uh just being like creative partners and because and and actually like having a marriage and a kid. It's been, Uh, it's been fun to find those balances.
Speaker 1: What are some uh, what are some of the times where you guys head butt in the music world, whether it be touring, writing with or for each other, like any of that stuff. Give me a moment where it's not all smelling roses.
Speaker 2: We still write together, which is cool. I'm excited that she still asked me to write songs with her because she's got a really small group now that she trusts to be creative with I don't know, like creatively, I kind of just am there when it's always time. It's always just about time and like when just calendar stuff. And that's why we have the same manager is like those those like frictions are minimized when you have one person managing both of our time. Yeah, but like it's always like just getting on the same page time wise.
Speaker 1: Have either of you have ever said that's a stupid lyric.
Speaker 2: I don't think we've said it like that to each other. I say that to it. I would say it to someone like Earn be like, no, that's not it. But I say it about myself more than anything. Usually I'm like, you'll say somebody like that's not right. Yeah, but uh yeah, man, that we that she's just a fantastic songwriter. And that's like where it all starts with everybody is like getting good songs, whether you write them or you find them, like that always is the most important thing because that's I mean, that's why people buy ticket is to hear that song that they love.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, me and Ern are sort of in the same boat where it's like we we have a lot of ship moving as writers. Right now, we're both trying to get like over that hump as you where is he's out there drinking beer in the parking lot and he didn't get him and he didn't bring me one.
Speaker 1: This could be a good conversation about the writing world because they've written, they wrote together.
Speaker 2: We're in the same boat where it's like we're both just looking at each other, like how fuck do you get on the radio?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's what's one of your favorite memories on the road?
Speaker 2: What do you think favorite memories?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: See, like I my rhythm is like I wake up and then you like work out because there's like no like you just wake up and then you tell you at night, like nine o'clock at night, so you work out, eat lunch. But like I can't party until the show's over for the most part, So like I just remember this whole tour we just did. Like I'd come back to the bus and my band has worked all day and I'd want to party and they'd be like too tire. They just go to bed, and I'm like, what are we? What is this? So I I just remember, like nobody wants to party anymore. But I don't know. I've had a I've I've been on the road with like FGL and Thomas Rhett, who's.
Speaker 1: Been the most fun to be on the road with. Hey, keep keep keep name dropping too. Rattle that list off again so we can find a winner.
Speaker 2: I've been on the road with tr FGL, Chase Rice just like as like part of their packages. Hey, buddy, how are you sorry?
Speaker 4: What ready to go?
Speaker 2: Did you bring me a beer?
Speaker 4: I drink too and I locked my car. I can get you you want a Corona, but this is a Budweiser bus.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 1: What kind of we aren't we are? We aren't sponsored by him though, so you can could we can talk about whatever.
Speaker 2: I was sponsored by Corona for a while. It was fun. One of the coolest moments was like pulling up into the driveway and there was a palette of Corona there. It was like twenty five cases of Corona in bottles and we drank like four or five in two days, but maybe more but cases. But yeah, it was like that was one of my biggest flexs on That was my That was my biggest flex was was was twenty five or thirty cases of Corona just sitting there.
Speaker 3: That's amazing of it I.
Speaker 2: Should have.
Speaker 1: The pot. His cigarette is out and he is on the pot.
Speaker 3: We're here.
Speaker 1: We were just talking to him the question we had his favorite memories on UH on the Road, and I think his list was Chase, Rice, Thomas Rhett if I had the most.
Speaker 2: Fun on the Chase Tour because that's just the wildest one. TR was fun because it was all everybody doing the for the first time, like tr headlining for the first time, Kelsey Ballerini's first time playing arenas, and then me and Russell Dickerson were just the first time doing anything. Yeah, so we were stoked. I like doing obviously like doing my own show the most because.
Speaker 3: You get to run the show, fucking yours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's your Chase. Seems like a good time. We got to interview him the virtual stuff, but yeah, he seems like a fun time.
Speaker 2: The first night ever on the Chase Tour, we're playing have you played Kegs and Jordan, New York the Syracuse you will. It's just like it's the middle of nowhere if they call it like the Syracuse market, but I don't even think it's close to Syracuse, And it's the only thing in the town is this little dive venue and they have a uh the stage is plywood and there's like Chase draws like two thousand people. I don't know, uh would There's tons of people there and and I like show up and I'm about to play, and all of a sudden, like the tour manager John gets like I like to see him get punched in the head. Like some dude like walked up to Chase his bus and started like taking a leak on his bus and John like goes over to like get the security guard and get this dude kicked out, and the dude just whips around and like just punches him in the head. And so like, who punched you in the head? The guy who beat on his.
Speaker 3: Bus punched the tour manager in the head?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the side of the head.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 2: John Lasard is reaching over the security guards and has got this dude by the beard. It's just shaking him by the beard.
Speaker 3: Oh no, but uh it.
Speaker 2: Was that was my first night on the Chase Rice tour.
Speaker 1: And I was like, that was your first night, Yeah, that's the bar.
Speaker 2: It was like my third show ever.
Speaker 1: And he cheems like people don't like you.
Speaker 3: No, it was just some people get rowdy around you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. That was the rowdiest tour I've ever been on, and it was my first one. It was on my third show ever, and I was like, oh my god, what am I doing? But uh, that was fun. That was like one of those days where you're like one of those tours, are like not sure how the we had like a sprinter van. You're not like sure how that thing got from city to city? Right, don't really remember?
Speaker 3: Did you have to drive?
Speaker 2: Not much?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always drove like coming home because like I wasn't. I was not about like taking our time to get home. So I was like I will go, I will we are going home.
Speaker 1: Yes, So so you guys won't have like a bus driver every time, like sometimes they'll just be.
Speaker 3: Well now I do, but early on when you can't afford a bus, you take van.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Buses are ridiculous, like ten grand for the weekend at least.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh old Dominion. That was a great.
Speaker 3: Tour to be Those are fun guys, fun dudes I had. Yeah, those are fun guys.
Speaker 2: I forgot I did that at the end of last year as the last tour I was on. That was. That's a great they have a great Uh fan base for someone like me, like they're they're fans, and my fans are like, I feel like there's a.
Speaker 6: Lot of a lot of car over crossover overlap, So why why is that?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just think that just the type of music we both make.
Speaker 1: It it's not it's not too redneck.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I know I have a mullet, but I'm not the most redneck.
Speaker 1: I was telling him, like, are you swing a lot of different ways? He was actually complimenting earlier, saying there's not many. There's not many people who swing a different hammer all the time.
Speaker 3: Wasn't quite ready for that, I guess in your seat? Sorry, Pops, do I need to get up?
Speaker 7: Or Taylor Wells kind of glued to my seat?
Speaker 3: So sorry?
Speaker 2: Do you want to share this microphone?
Speaker 1: Similar we were talking about yesterday with like sports and everything else you have, like ninety percent of the league is kind of the same and then there's some unicorns.
Speaker 2: Actually, someone's sitting over there right now.
Speaker 1: You are You are too, well, Taylor, Taylor is.
Speaker 4: This is definitely play more talented than.
Speaker 1: In the football.
Speaker 2: Songwriters. Who are you meet songwriters? They are all kind of the same amount of talent. And then you get in the room with guys like like Michael and Iarn and you're like, oh my god, this guy's I would never say this to your face.
Speaker 3: Well don't.
Speaker 7: This guy.
Speaker 2: This guy's hands down more talented than everybody else. It's like the guys that can just like spit out a second verse in like one second, and you're like, oh, that's it and we don't have to change anything, Like, not a lot of people can just like, actually, there's not even a lot of people I think that can write lyrics. To be honest, I think that. I don't mean that in a world full of songwriters, that's pretty heavy. I think that's like, I think that's the most challenging thing for most people. And then like when when you meet people who are it comes like very effortless, like you or Michael, It's like, damn, that's the special Eric Pasley. Do you guys know who Eric Pasley is. He's another dude like that that you might not think of. That's like, it's it's just effortless. So that was my compliment for you earlier.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, damn glad I got to hear that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'll never give you another one.
Speaker 3: That's fine. Now, that'll hold me over that.
Speaker 1: You guys seem like you're in similar lanes where you started out and kind of writing, and you're known and well respected for all the writing, and now you're both kind of touring and doing your music thing. You were talking about that earlier about how he kind of got into music. This episode of Busting with the Boys is also brought to you by Feltman shut Out Feltman's Dude and the Glizzies. Last week, I've learned on Twitter what a glizzy was, not just Twitter, but the Urban Dictionary, and a glizzy is a hot dog. So I became a grizzy gladiator. Last week they shipp us some hot dogs in the mail. I was like, Okay, I guess hot dogs are gonna sponsor the boys. Throw them on the grill. They're phenomenal. Thrown at a couple Glizzies, gobbled a couple Glizzies. I know that's a little but hey, no pause is how we do it on the pop Man. There's no pause out there. We throwed at a couple of Glizzies last week.
Speaker 2: No pause.
Speaker 1: But Feltman's of Coney Island is the world's first hot dog brand. Estimated since eighteen sixty seven, with Charles Feltman being the investment sure of the Glizzie, which is per the Urban Dictionary, the hot Dog. Feltman's is also a military veteran run business, revived in twenty fifteen. The founders, Michael and Joe Quinn, revived the brand in honor of their late brother Jimmy, who is tragically killed on nine to eleven. And when I say veteran owned, these are real hardcore vettes. These boys got thirty plus years in uniform, one hundred and thirteen months deployed overseas, with Joe deployed three times to combat after his brother was killed on nine to eleven. They all played D one sports at Army as well, so athletes military. It all makes sense, USA. The Quinn brothers are diehard sports fans, especially football and baseball. Hence, while they sponsored the boys with some Glizzies. So here's the thing. The Quinns have put together an annual Mets game in honor of their brother Jimmy every year. Obviously they can't be at the ballpark this year, so they're going to do sort of a virtual thing. Bustin fans get discount off their entire order with code busting, and the website is www dot Feltman's of Coneyiland dot com. Let me say that again. You get a discount off your entire order with the code busting at Feltman'sofconey Island dot com. And for the vets and first first responders on their website, they can get an additional ten percent off with I D dot me at checkout. So veterans first responders, you get an additional ten percent off by typing in I D dot me at checkout. Shout out the boys and Feltman's Love the Glizzies. Dude, keep them coming. Everybody, go track Glizzie. Get on their site now uncured all beef, hot dogs, go go get those boys. Due gosh, damn it, answer it.
Speaker 3: I can't answer that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I just gonna sit here and dance. I can't answer that.
Speaker 3: You might, yeah, but you ain't smoking window whizzle every time. Dude, my mom could call. That's the ringer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to get to get off the the earnest. But I want to go back to the EP thing. He was explaining what EP was, and would you say, what does E P mean?
Speaker 2: I mean he's stended play. But it's fucked up because it's.
Speaker 1: Extended playlist, but it's a shorter album.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not extended.
Speaker 4: I thought, I'm an executive producer.
Speaker 1: I thought, so, does hear episode.
Speaker 4: EPs on like TV shows or songs?
Speaker 3: Yes, you get that paper because yes, because you're the executive producer.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: When we walked away from your podcast yesterday, I'm speaking very loudly because.
Speaker 2: I'm like, that's okay, that's okay right now.
Speaker 7: When I talk about, I want to EP on your next album, so I want to I want to get in.
Speaker 4: That do it known as a songwriter.
Speaker 3: Do it, get Dereck Henry on my on my project. If you want to be known as a.
Speaker 1: Songwriter, you got to write the songs.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 3: You can executive produce and not know anything about music.
Speaker 1: People do it all the time.
Speaker 7: Song But if let's say the four of us are sitting in a room and we wrote a song right now, and I said one word that made it in that song.
Speaker 4: You don't say a word, right, you just get credit for right.
Speaker 3: Yes, dude, if we if me and Ryan wrote a song right now.
Speaker 4: And y'all here, Taylor and Will and Taylor y'all.
Speaker 3: Y'all it is Will and Taylor because y'all are the room. Actually it's a one, two, three, four, five six.
Speaker 1: We don't have to give them credit there, you do because they're in the room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's Nashville.
Speaker 2: I think we could argue that that that that half of the room doesn't need credit for the song. We could argue that, but it would be literally split. You get twenty five twenty five twenty five twenty five if you do it in La, though, or New York is different because they would go.
Speaker 4: I'll give you four percent of mind twenty five.
Speaker 2: But you would get if you were in LA, they would like start arguing.
Speaker 1: Over like they're keeping but get that mic closer.
Speaker 2: They would argue about like who who wrote what, and like how much you each deserved? Yeah, and so like you would like all those A lot of those songs go into dispute, so nobody gets paid until the dispute is settled because some guys like, well I deserve more than four percent because I moved this mic cable or something.
Speaker 3: And they hold up everybody's pay In Nashville, you feel like it's different than Nashville.
Speaker 2: Pretty much just cut and dry, the only thing you run into in Nashville is like if somebody potentially like if you are on top of somebody else's song, you might have to give them some credit. Like Brett Eldridge when he did that Crazy song, he had that Celo Green like Crazy, he had literally like the the hook to Crazy, and so he had to give credit that those writers had to give credit to all the people who wrote Crazy. And I'm sure it wasn't like an equal split, but like sometimes you have to do that. But other than that, like it's just we split it all down the middle here or equally than la oh yeah, because I mean it's just if you.
Speaker 7: Wrote song, well, me, Will and Ernest had a thumb up brasses the whole time in the morning.
Speaker 1: That's so I'm saying Taylor and I were just sitting here and you guys walked out like, well, even it's gonna be a great.
Speaker 4: Song, number one song because you've had four or five number one songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I would say two things to that. I would say you because when we wrote Heartless, I was the dude I walked in and he started just it fell out of him and I just had my phone being like no, you got to say that again exactly like that, and you need that guy to be like definitely the editor right sometimes, And then i'd also say that if it's truly like I did ninety five percent of it and it was a huge hit, I'm not I'm just not gonna do it again. You know, all your people be like, we gotta get this crew back together, and I'd be.
Speaker 3: Like, no, but the crew is technically already together.
Speaker 2: That's what I would That's yeah, So that's the fall figures itself out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you like being a songwriter? Do they be a performer better?
Speaker 2: Is that one of them? They're different? I like being a songwriter. That question, it's music all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he let him elaborate more.
Speaker 3: Two of us missed it.
Speaker 2: I would like for you to.
Speaker 1: Performing.
Speaker 2: I think you'll have a similar answer. But I like when you're a writer, you're creative all the time. It's all music, and when you're an artist, it's like ninety percent not music bullshit, And it's that's a word for it. It's just like I'm yeah, So I like doing both things because the less I write, I feel like the more I hit the bulls eye. Yeah, because my I'm never burnt. But also and I like playing shows. I like obviously like the recording of music. I like the music part of being an artist, but there's so much attached to it. That's like. But I also don't want to just write songs because I feel like you just write too many and you get burnt out and then just they get shittier. So I like doing both things and earnest like you were one of the few dudes like me who does both.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's not a lot of them. I totally agree. I feel the same way about artistry. They're like there's a there's a part of me. Maybe it's ego or whatever, but I've always wanted to perform songs or like, sometimes I'll be writing a song and it's I know, as soon as we're writing it, this is for me. I want to sing this song. So like that that or whatever is getting itched by being an artist. But as far as creator goes, like I can't turn off writing songs. I'm gonna be writing songs either way.
Speaker 1: Well, you kind of I feel like you just create shit all the time, whether you're just creating a text for myself. Yeah, just like trying to make somebody laugh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean that's the fact that songwriting is a job is unreal, Like haha, high school teachers like you're a d D and not listening in class, so you better pay attention. You're gonna need to go finish college if you want to get a real job.
Speaker 2: It's like, I have a sociology degree, which is basically.
Speaker 3: How do you and how does that make it? And how does that make you feel?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: I had not a lot to do with writing a song, so whatever, I just yeah. I think the difference too, is like a lot of people want to be an artist, like I wish I was a country music artist, but then there's dudes that are just like that kid just is one. Yes, And that's like so like people, you get better at writing songs, get better at making recordings, but either sometimes either are one or you aren't one. And I think that that's what people, like real fans kind of catch on to, is like they know.
Speaker 3: What, Zach, Yeah, I want to be an NFL football Yeah, I ain't gonna. I can go to the gym every day. Again, we can.
Speaker 2: Tackle each other every Thursday night.
Speaker 3: I'm not taking a hit from either of y'all, I'll take a hit.
Speaker 1: Have you had.
Speaker 2: You ever had to tackle Derrick Henry?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Will he was a few times, he was right there. A couple of times you tripp or something. Well, yeah, you go through with it. No, Yeah, he's a he's a monstery somebody you just you just drop low on in the hole. A lot of guys are very prideful and they want to see if they got it. But as you see Derrick Henry, the majority of times.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say the majority of the time, did Earl Thomas and Derrick Henry a Father's Day card this year?
Speaker 1: Had a hard We actually, hey, it's his it's his mic on yet exactly. Yeahs Taylor, you're grabbing that mic. I don't know if it's on right now. We can all we can all hear you for sure. It is okay.
Speaker 7: I've been holding my tongue like since I've walked in here. By the way, I'm very sorry.
Speaker 2: I don't mean you do that. I'm having a having a great time. Yeah, I told him this year we just had a baby. I get it. I said, Yo, he's three months yesterday, born in the quarantine. He's pretty good and he's getting there. We're almost there, dude.
Speaker 7: The first six months is like I'm just keeping this thing a lot.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I wake up at four am every day to feed him and then put him back to bed.
Speaker 4: And tough life.
Speaker 7: It gets there for sure. My my first daughter, she was born July July fifth, and like two weeks later I had to go to camp. But those two weeks I was like, I was like in it because my wife is she's dead, right yeah. And then my daughter now she's due July sixteenth, and so it's like I'm kind of I kind of get a get jail free throat.
Speaker 2: I have to go to CAP.
Speaker 7: It's kind of a weird little deal.
Speaker 2: But we were we were gonna I was gonna be I mean, we tour, so our schedules kind of go like this, but we we wanted a tour together this year just so that like I didn't miss a whole chunk of time. But it's a it's a lot of work, man. They're like, oh, it's a lot of work, and then you are doing it. Oh shit, this is is a lot a lot of work. And then you always I think, like your kid has a rough day. Like my daughter, she's gett me three, and she'll.
Speaker 7: Like like be super like mean, or like she'll do something that's like not good right, and I'll be like, hey, don't don't do that, And like then you get frustrated as your patients are low and then they go to bed, and then your head you're like, what if I just created a serial killer by doing the right things. Some people do kid, some people do Dahmer, all those guys, But like, you know, I don't want to to be a Dahmer.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Manson Jimmy Dahmer had no idea when he when you know, when he went ahead said I'm shooting it, Jeffrey, No, Timmy's his dad. I'm talking. But when I'm saying, I'm not talking about a bullet. When I say shooting it, I'm talking about I'm gonna make this kid. And then that kid we named him Jeffrey damn dude could not Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 7: But parenting. Parenting is the most stresful job in the world because you just feel like every day is like, am I doing the right thing as a parent? Am I making sure that this kid? When they're three months old, you're like, hey, I'm keeping you alive, and then six months hits and you'll be like you're gonna come home and he's gonna be like kind of smiling anything.
Speaker 2: All right. That's the hardest part is when you're like you don't feel like a dad until like the kid comes, because it's like you're not pregnant with it. You can't feel a kick a little bit, but that's it. And then like it comes and I didn't feel like this massive emotional flow is more like all right, here's the kid, and we're gonna keep it alive. But slowly he's like starting to have like facial expressions and like starting to like you could see like recognizes me. That part's cool, Like that's like, my it's been like a steady increase in feeling like a dad as opposed to just like this huge wave of it. But yeah, it's it's it's I don't know, I don't know if we're gonna do it again.
Speaker 7: We had one where like you gotta give it, you gotta give it.
Speaker 2: He's pretty easy though, and that's the thing is, like, man, we got an easy kid. Everybody tells us he's easy. Why would we how do we potentially get a shitty one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's say I hear the second one.
Speaker 2: Hear the second ones are the handfuls bit of a doozy.
Speaker 7: No, I've always thought like the second one. Like my wife, she was the second one, and she was like the good kid like Quinn, her brother, wild child, like add poster child like me, bam bam bam bam, off the walls. And then I was the first and I was the kid that was off the walls. But my brother would sit there and just watch me. But I feel like the second kids always like easier for whatever reason, because they're being entertained by the first one. Now having to like then you go from my Hey, both of us, you and me, we're gonna get on the skate. We're going to make sure these kids no no on nowhere and I'm doing something wrong. When you got too, it's like, hey, i'll see you. I'll see you to night before we go to bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're lucky, and we had to get in there.
Speaker 7: You know I'll be over here, you'd be over there. Parenting's cool as shit, though it's different. I feel like like before I had kids, I didn't know if I'd ever want to have kids, But now that I have kids.
Speaker 4: I'm like, man, it's the coolest thing ever.
Speaker 2: I didn't want one until I was with Mare and I was like, I could have a kid with you, And I never had that like like there's you know, people are like, man, I just want to be a dad, like they've dreamed about it their whole life. And I was like when I met her and I was like, okay, that makes sense. So I've had that's been awesome. I wouldn't have done it unless it was with somebody who's like, oh, I want to have a kid with you. I think.
Speaker 7: I think a lot of ways people get stuck in Like people make plans like by the time I'm twenty five, I want to have this job. By the time I'm twenty seven, I want to be married by the time I'm thirty, I want to have two kids. And they have like this timeline in their head. But then you end up like just saying, Okay, well I need to be married by twenty seven, so I'm going to marry the person that i'm with right now. That's and that person might not be the person for you. You know what I'm saying. Because I was kind of that way too, Like I was really you know, I was kind of.
Speaker 2: A rambling man.
Speaker 7: I was kind of going from place to place, kind of a little bit of a fuck boy. To be totally honest with you, I was, I was riding a little thirty out there and yeah, think you this stand up gentleman. You and I met Taylor, and all that stuff kind of like just went away.
Speaker 2: I was just like, man, this is oh.
Speaker 7: Yeah, A proposed her in five weeks, five weeks, five weeks, proposer in five weeks, got married on four twenty and uh, thank you. Married got married on four secretly some little church at Vanderbilt. No one knew about it, and then we got married two years later, very for everybody else.
Speaker 2: So it was a cool gig.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I feel like some of that stuff can be like I chalk it up as like small town syndrome, because when I was growing up, we all kind of breach. You up in small towns and you kind of think, like, I want to be buried probably with a kid by twenty five because everyone around you, the generation above you, like they all did it, even though they're all arguing now and they kind of all hate each.
Speaker 3: Other'sall town syndrome is a great song time you see.
Speaker 6: That's the great.
Speaker 3: Syndrome getting married.
Speaker 2: My name by that one.
Speaker 7: Hey hey, well hey we all yeahmall town sydrum comes out.
Speaker 1: Boys, we all made that.
Speaker 2: We made the cut on now everyone, We'll have to We'll have to. We'll negotiate.
Speaker 3: We'll figure that out, all right.
Speaker 1: Have you guys heard of Paint your Life. I've always wanted a portrait of my dog hanging on my wall because number one, I'm obsessed with dogs, and number two, I love Waffle so much. Waffle is my cute, little, snugly English bulldog. She looks like a thick little Glizzy and she's just the most adorable thing. Try color. She's awesome. She's on Instagram. You can follow me. I mean, she's out there. If you guys know the pod, you guys know Waffle for sure. But basically I went to Paint Yourlife dot com. You get a professional handpainted portrait created from any photo at a truly affordable price. Choose from a team of world class artists and work with them until every detail is perfect. And the platform is super easy. You get on you can order custom made handpainted portrait in less than five minutes. It's super easy. You basically, just send any picture of yourself, your children's, family, dog, special place, moment, whatever, or combined photos in the one painting, and again it's breezy to do less than five minutes. You get the portrait back in about three weeks. The portrait of Waffle looks phenomenal. I have zero complaints, even though if I did have a complaint, I would get my money back guaranteed because at Paintourlife dot Com there's no risk. If you don't love the final painting, your money is refunded, guaranteed. And right now, as a limited time offer, get twenty percent off your painting. That's fucking right, twenty percent off and free shipping. To get the special offer, text the word boys to sixty four thousand. That's boys to sixty four thousand. I will say it one last time. Text boys on your cell phone to sixty four thousand. Paint your life and celebrate the moments the matter the most. Shut out the boys at Paint your Life. Yeah, do you guys ever get feel like slided? When do you ever feel like people are trying to use you for the talent of obviously writing and using you? Guys all the way up until like, all right, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Take it from here. Please use me, Yeah, yeah, I mean please, don't know Ernie.
Speaker 1: Ernests had a little smirk over there like he's like, yeah, a fucking life, please me, and about to use this shirt as a towel to drop a sweat off my forehead.
Speaker 3: Denim cow the Canadian tuxedo.
Speaker 1: I thought, the day.
Speaker 3: You've been on the bus before and there was no air last time, right, So I don't know what made it last because I wanted to dress decent. I didn't want to come up here looking homeless. And now Ryan was going to come correct with that. Yes, dude, I had the car.
Speaker 1: I told you I.
Speaker 2: Don't you don't come onto the bus with your weak ship. And Aaron was trying to just got a little warm.
Speaker 3: It's okay, that's it. I had a flannel and I really thought to myself, it's in the car, and I was like, I feel like he might be wearing plaid. So I threw the double denims on and I was right, dude, when I got in right, I was right.
Speaker 7: A quick side note. I know people make fun of the Canadian tuxedo. Big fan of it. I think denim on Denham looks great. I don't care who knows it, did it?
Speaker 2: Big fan of that.
Speaker 3: It's a hot one, but it is.
Speaker 7: And I run hot too, run hot.
Speaker 3: Yeah you sleep, you got a big fan when you sell.
Speaker 7: My wife hates fans.
Speaker 1: My huge thing.
Speaker 7: I'm a big I'm a big go to the hotel on away games and then first thing I do, crank that thing down with yes. It's like in the fifties. I'm like, that's all right, We're gonna be all right.
Speaker 3: In the middle of the night, like running back and forth, it's beginning, like Christmas comes over your TV. It gets so cold and there dying dude had Christmas at a at an extended stay.
Speaker 1: Dude, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: That was a grind.
Speaker 3: I was raising the pace raising a puppy on tour and we were staying at extended stays all across.
Speaker 2: It's a different world than an extended stay. You brought your dog on tour, Yeah, little baby puppy in a van by yourself.
Speaker 3: Me, Delaney, uh, my tour manager and my dog and we went all over and he was like, you know that the mics doud three months old. No, that was on the Mason Ramsey tour. Yes, which was a little more toned down because he's fourteen. I was, I did all my drugs and drinking elsewhere.
Speaker 2: That was the Mountain Dew Tour.
Speaker 3: The mountain too, Yeah, No, it was.
Speaker 1: It was the white Claw Tour for me.
Speaker 3: I was drinking so much white claw and Mason finally came out to me. He goes, white claws are bad for your voice. You should drink water. And I'm like, listen here, kid, this is my first, second or third rodeo. All right, I'm gonna drink white.
Speaker 1: Claws white for your voice. Did you ground him on the spot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, put him in his place, punched him.
Speaker 7: How about that, though, Dude, you you can't become a famous football player by yodeling in a Walmart.
Speaker 1: That's just no dope.
Speaker 3: Would that be if you could? You can become a professional player. About just hauling off at a minor league game.
Speaker 7: Sometime sounds game. He threw like ninety six That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And now he's got signed by the A Yeah.
Speaker 7: Sign, that's right.
Speaker 3: It's insane.
Speaker 7: Football is worst sport to pick.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 7: Basketball, You out there, just go crush it, crush it.
Speaker 3: Boom, you're in I mean, you've made a lot of money with football, so why is it the worst sport?
Speaker 7: It's the worst sport to get like, like.
Speaker 5: I think it's the worst sport to get like found, okay, get found in a Walmart?
Speaker 1: Well were we gary? Bring that stuff back up? What were we talking about?
Speaker 2: Who knows you were? You were going in on saying use me, Oh yeah, as long as the check clears man, Yes, just use it up. Take my music, like, cut it however you want, put it on the race.
Speaker 1: So there there's something that there's a formula already in place for people that want to do something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're paid a song, like it's publishing royalties, you're paid to do it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I think like in your case, like you are in that crew of like Morgan and Michael and and like there is a thing there that you have created with the other those other two dudes. It's like it's a it's a style, and it's very much something that you're a part of. And so I think it's like with you, it's just waiting your turn to when like that third dude can come in and and and do it like kind of behind those two guys boats. I mean the thing about Morgan and my they got their first and that's the only thing that it is. So yeah, but you get to write all the songs and have all the singles, and obviously that's a good living. But uh but yeah, man, it's just we're we're in the same boat where it's like, man, we just need like that one like I had a my song got to top twenty at radio and then it, uh it's a platinum record. But it just it's like you need like to stack those up a couple of times before you can like have that ball rolling. And that's like the same boat that we're both in.
Speaker 7: There's gotta be some sort of politics that plays into it, though. If you have that many guys getting together doing riding around, that's the nine Yeah you don't want to do Yeah, yeah, you got to sit there and all right, well not a're just gonna say the song it's going to be number one. I'm sure there's a different release.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's. I mean it's a lot of behind the scenes stuff that like sometimes artists don't even have much say and what comes out next or when and how how they're released. Oh really, Yeah, I mean we're definitely involved in like picking songs and stuff and all that, but sometimes, you know, labels get to look at analytics and actual numbers, so it's like less of a guessing game, like oh, I like this song, Let's do this. It's like, well, this one's streaming well, so let's numbers are already saying this will probably do well, so let's run that one to radio.
Speaker 1: There's like all that being so, Aaron, let's take your feelings out of it, look at the.
Speaker 3: Dyea And that's hard to do as a creator because feeling is like everything. We write songs around feeling, and right when it comes to what we actually get to portray ourselves as like sometimes we get we have to take that feeling away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gotcha.
Speaker 2: I had this song come out called what Her Name Was? Summer, and it was my favorite song, and I was like, this is the one, this is it, and I was the only one that thought that, and then.
Speaker 1: I am right.
Speaker 2: And then it went to it got too serious and it got like it did all right, but it was very obvious it was not the one.
Speaker 1: I was like, he comes in the meeting, Hey, Ryan, did you learn your lessons?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I talk about that dumb ass song you want to play and you can tell like when you play live, like what songs are huge? And that's one that I'm like, oh, this is going to be huge. And then it's like very medium.
Speaker 3: I didn't do it.
Speaker 1: It didn't do very well live you hear.
Speaker 3: It's just not like on the people are like, fuck yeah, it's not the reaction you dreamed that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like that scene in Queen where the guy starts to singing and the whole crowd start behind him.
Speaker 1: He just stop.
Speaker 7: That's the whole thing kind of That's like the thing you dream about as like an athlete, because athletes want to be singers, songwriter, as actor. They want to be what they're not. Everybody wants to be what they're not. And so like you sit there and you're watching Queen or the Elton John movie or any ship like that. I mean, I'm not trying to be you know, a homosexual guy from London, super talented, super talented, but happy.
Speaker 2: Being what I am.
Speaker 7: But I'm saying as a singer songwriter, like having somebody like call recall to you would be like the dopest shit ever, or.
Speaker 1: Like telling that lawyer dude, like no, I think this single tell the off. Dude, you're having that amount of cloud that's and then you walk out and then throw a fucking rock at the window. You know what happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great movie. You'll my favorite movie.
Speaker 7: I actually love that movie.
Speaker 2: Like they didn't they did just used is the actual vote? Maybe's the actual Freddie Mercury vocal? Right? Yes, I liked that they did that because yes, you can't fake that. You can't.
Speaker 3: The one movie that I thought was really good the music movie, was Walk the Line Joaqum Phoenix, Yeah, Joe him Phoenix. I don't know, but yeah, Walkurd Wait you of this.
Speaker 7: I don't want to get addicted to it. I think addicted. I think I'd like to try me some of that cocaine sounds kind of expensive. It's the least expensive.
Speaker 3: Drug there is and not once did you pay for drugs? Yes, Walkard's best, but Joaquum did a pretty good Johnny Cash.
Speaker 1: I was okay with Joaquem's voice in that.
Speaker 2: He had my favorite ever acceptance at the Oscars when he used his time to uh decree milk oh yes to cry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like a vegan it was a vegan chant he got he won like.
Speaker 2: The biggest award he could ever win. He's like milk is bad And that was basically all he said.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's a super private dude, right, like strange. Yeah, it's a strange cat, But I feel like those guys are the most interesting to.
Speaker 1: Me when anybody who does the Jokers fucking.
Speaker 7: When I see somebody that's super off the wall, I'm like, I gotta get to know that guy, Like what makes that dude? Ways want to be people that way different than me?
Speaker 3: Ben Burgess, Ben Burgess is that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the dude, You're like, that dude's a genius. He's a genius, but it's tough to like rope him in. And when you do, it's great, but you gotta like really sit there until you gotta wait for it.
Speaker 7: Kind of like h c L.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit like that.
Speaker 7: Hammercock was definitely like hammer Cock dude, hammer Cock La Floor was definitely one of those cats that were like you talked to him and be like, oh, this guy is just yeah, he's a wavelength and I.
Speaker 1: Yeah, expanded Hammercock.
Speaker 7: So we did I think the podcast that she just came out right yesterday. So we did a podcast with David b and uh. I know that the head coaching the Packers.
Speaker 1: Ago was sure for the Titans, hammercock hammercock.
Speaker 7: Well he looks he's got that appeal, that vibe of when you look up reality porn and you see like the unsuspecting guy. It's like, well, you know, I didn't study this week, and then the big bosomed milf comes in with the ruler and you didn't study. I mean, look, he's got great teeth, got absolute peace on him.
Speaker 1: You feel like when you're talking to him and telling the story, he's like kind of smiling like that, but he's thinking about something else that has to do.
Speaker 2: He can run. I can see that guy delivering a pizza.
Speaker 7: Sausage on this one. He's got a great porn look. Man, he's got a football doesn't work out for him, which it looks like it is the NFC Championship, right, yeah, makes the NFC Championship. He's got Aaron Rodgers, he should do Jordan Love no active NFL porn.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't play football, But.
Speaker 1: Where about that?
Speaker 2: He was apparently?
Speaker 7: Oh man, dude, I'm a huge Michigan fan. Are you You're from Kalamazoo right from Kalamo. I don't know if you're a Bronco guy or whatever. Yeah, but I mean you're not only a Bronco guy, but I'm a big Michigan fan.
Speaker 2: You got you guys. You want a last team to beat Ohio State.
Speaker 7: So yeah, thank you, very thank you for doing that. Don't be a friend, flat boys. Yeah three Ohio State, Stiffrey Bowl three for Ohio State.
Speaker 2: That's a big deal.
Speaker 7: That's a big fucking So this boy is my hero.
Speaker 1: And uh, Taylor's your hero.
Speaker 2: Beat he beat Ohio State.
Speaker 7: Okay, heroes and we uh and then Sugar Bowl win, right, Yeah, when the Sugar Bowl we went out, I think that was the only actually good year we had because from O nine to thirteen, that's when I was at Michigan, was really a very dark time, weird, very weird. Rich Rodriguez came from West West Virginia.
Speaker 1: You really brought him down, did not.
Speaker 7: He did not have a good night's sleep, I think the whole time he was there.
Speaker 2: No, it was tough.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was tough for him. And then Brady Hook came in, who everybody wanted hardball but settle for Hoke and uh, it just didn't work.
Speaker 2: Out hok either.
Speaker 7: But that that that Sugar Bowl win was really cool against West uh Virgina Tech. It's like triple overtime.
Speaker 4: Brendan Gibbons with the kick. Did you ever see his interview?
Speaker 2: I don't remember it, but I watched. I mean I was watching the game he did.
Speaker 7: He did an interview after the game and they like iced him twice and that's exactly what kicks and like, what were you thinking about? And he was like, I was just thinking about brunette girls on the beach.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: He was like, yeah, coach tells me whenever I'm getting iced, just to think about girls in the beach. I'll never miss a kid. He kicked that thing, right. I love Brendan Gibbon.
Speaker 1: I feel like everything kind of changed for Michigan when you guys lost the Appalachian State.
Speaker 7: But that was that was before I was. There was two thousand and eight.
Speaker 2: That was last year that was in the air. That was right, so like it all went weird that year. I remember when Michigan, ohioseate was one two with Chad Hanny Mike Hall, Yeah, and they lost by it was it two?
Speaker 7: It's like seven, right Smith.
Speaker 1: To Troy Smith and Maurice Clarette.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then we won or Michigan. We I was on the team. I then like they beat him with the nard and then that was it and they've just gotten their ass beat ever since, and it's been really just appointing.
Speaker 7: Well, there was there was one game after I left that was pretty close. It was that fourth and inches and they didn't get it.
Speaker 2: But they gave it to him. That's bullshit, absolute, you know, and everybody's like, oh, it didn't matter because they got the ball back, but Wilton dropped the ball on the on the goal line and whatever.
Speaker 7: Well shape Patterson, our helmets are cool. Yeah, responsor by Jordan. We should definitely go there. There's a there's I've actually talked to Portnoy about this when we were in Miami. Is Michigan's just it hurts to say it because I went there. You're a fan, but very irrelevant at this time. I don't know what you need to do because you have the Jordan sponsorship, you have the history and tradition at Michigan's unbelievable. The uniforms are iconic. What I don't know what they have to do to kind of catch up with Ohio State.
Speaker 2: Because they need to drop to the academic requirements a little bit. Well, your boy got in there, and I'll tell you what it wasn't good. I got two seven with the sliding scale. My act was stupid good, but I got. And so they're not quite like Vanderbilt. Where Vanderbilt you literally have to be able to get in school to play there. That's a death penalty and it's hell.
Speaker 3: Were you a good test taker? Was that good test taker?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 7: I was kind of what you were alluding to about the ad D pay attention to school guy. Yeah, I got to I got to Michigan and I joked with you about the sociology because I was a general state's major. But I got there and they're like, well, so what do you What do you want to do after college? Was the Wa'm going to go to the NFL? Like well, you know football punds, Yeah, and like, well statistically, and I told a story too many times on the podcast, but I definitely was like that was my fucking move, and so I didn't. I was a king of a two point zero at Michigan, absolute king of it, he said.
Speaker 3: The king of the two point h I graduated with the one point nine high school high school.
Speaker 1: I never got out of college.
Speaker 7: So you played when year in baseball in college?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I never got out. I just quit after one. But I got there. I mean, thank god for Christian schools because they're accepting the dumb ass kid but saying, you know what, you got a norm on you. Let's let's sign them up.
Speaker 2: The Lord needs you here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Lord.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Lord was like kind of change our mind. They kind of kind of talked with the other two and we change our mind.
Speaker 7: You kich allt of Michigan game.
Speaker 1: Still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we went to Notre Dame this year. Actually, it's fun now because we can take my bus up there. Yeah, and we go and we'll just wake up back home.
Speaker 7: Super super easy drive to not far off from here.
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 1: Are you talking about the apartment bus.
Speaker 2: Well, my bus has the twelve bunks, gotcha, gotcha to throw everybody.
Speaker 1: And you should hear about this apartment bus. They got my wife.
Speaker 7: Listen to the pod.
Speaker 2: My wife has a really sweet bus that has a baby crate in it and our apartments in the back. But but yeah, it's that he was asking how you take a baby on the road. It's like, well, we have a bus that's like set up. It's like monitors and white noise machines.
Speaker 1: And yeah, will yeah, build on the bus.
Speaker 7: You just drive the bus and then the babies.
Speaker 1: Did you hear him? Our apartments in the back of the bus. We need to look into a bus like that.
Speaker 7: We got great bus.
Speaker 1: This is fun.
Speaker 2: This is a great bus. This is a cooler bus than that.
Speaker 7: I would this bus just bus as best as cool as it gets. It's about twenty seven thousand dollars to get this thing running. The floor the floor under.
Speaker 1: You got to put it on a different chassis.
Speaker 7: Yeah, chassis. The floor is so uh there's no drivers seat, there's literally no driversy.
Speaker 2: You could just risk it.
Speaker 3: Risk this, dude, nail the lawn chair down to the floorboard.
Speaker 7: Okay, engine doesn't work.
Speaker 3: Driver's engine doesn't work. Yeah, steal an engine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then my parts are obsolete for this model.
Speaker 7: Not like big and fashion anymore.
Speaker 2: Crowdsources.
Speaker 7: Kickstarter could do a Kickstarter we could. I'll tell you what. When that song comes up that you and Will started, We'll take you get put it.
Speaker 1: Right in do with me, like I can't Taylor just pay this or that, like you run a risk right there, trying to do a kickstarter for Taylor.
Speaker 5: Like crowdfunding, Fuck it, I'll do it. I'm making for me and kickstart for the bus. I feel like that said just coming your mouth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we run into that too, not to the same level, but but yeah. No one's like, hey, I don't crowd from my record at this point, like you you're on OURCA records, you can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get that's that's a bad look for OURCA.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a worse look for r C.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty has been rough man. Twenty twenty has been the year of things happening that are completely out of our control. But there is one thing you can control, and that's shaving your bush. Shout out Manscaped and Manscaped. Our sponsors are here to remind you to always keep your bush, your lawn, whatever you want to call it, trimmed and men and maintained. The Manscaped Lawnmower three point always a premium electric trimmer that's designed to give you a confidence boost through your body image. I actually used the Old Boy last week. They have a ceramic blade and skin safe technology that are designed to reduce nicks and tugs on the fellows below. The lawnmower three point zero is also waterproof and comes with an LED light so you can manscape in the shower in the dark or in the dark shower, whatever you're into. They also just release their Shears two point zero nail kit, which is the perfect add on to their lawnmower three point Oho trimmer. The Shear's two point zero is a luxury four piece nail kit featuring tempered stainless steel tools and it includes tip tweezers, rounded point scissors, fingernail clippers, and a medium gritty nail filer. The Sar's two point Oho nail Kit allows you to pluck your eyebrows and trim your nails in style. On their website, you'll also find a couple more items. Their Crop Preserver, which is their anti chafing ball deodorant moisturizer. This will help you tame that swamp ass out there that you get with the natural hydrators and intioxidants that your skin needs. You also find a crop reviver, or a testy toner as we like to call it, that likes it's like having cologne that is designed.
Speaker 2: For your balls.
Speaker 1: A little ball toner dude, So go to manscape dot com and check out all these life changing products. As a matter of fact, you will get twenty percent off in free shipping with the code busting at manscape dot com. That's twenty percent off in free shipping at manscape dot com and use the code busting. It's time to grab twenty twenty by the balls, by the horns and shave that front trunk, dude, and keep that lawnmower maintain I said, lawnmower, keep that long maintained. But shout out the boys in Manscape. I hope you guys are thoroughly enjoying the boy Ryan heard. The dude is a motherfucking stud who's RCA.
Speaker 2: That's my record company. So he's on Big Loud Records, Big Loud, Big Loud, Yeah yesterday with yes, sir, I'm on a RCA Records, which is like Elvis.
Speaker 1: And Classic Beyonce. So you guys are competitors.
Speaker 7: No, well, it sounds like after you Elvis and Beyonce, it's not a fucking yeah. You know, we had Elvis and Beyond.
Speaker 3: Beyond.
Speaker 1: He's set in the standard.
Speaker 3: RCA is like one of the one of the og record life.
Speaker 2: No record come. But he's like, hey, where do you bank? That's like all it is like you, Yeah, I would bake it son Trust, I bank it Pinnacle. Well it's like those are We're not competing.
Speaker 1: Right is that? Now? Is that who you signed with recently in March?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: Then you signed with some publisher now is Big Machine? So that's like Scott Boarshea and whatever. So I probably shouldn't bring that. Bring up the other thing, Garrett, you signed in March with who Big Machine Music? So the publishing side of of of that record company?
Speaker 1: Now that that's a that's a big deal, right Is that a big deal? Yeah, it's big for me, Like I had Big Machines.
Speaker 2: I was at Universal Publishing for a long time.
Speaker 1: You had a picture. I saw you had a signing picture like a high schooler come into a college.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do that.
Speaker 1: That's a big deal. Hey, let's go signing it more.
Speaker 2: I mean we we Uh. I don't know how would you describe this. I'm trying to like, it's it's a big deal.
Speaker 1: It's a publishing deal.
Speaker 3: It's like yeah, well, I mean look, I mean for a lot of people getting a publishing deal, I mean for me, I mean I was working at donut Den in Green Hills.
Speaker 2: You worked a donut den?
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, I got a lifetime free donuts. Can't tell.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean for for most people, that's the dream. You come to Nashville, you want, you want to write songs, you get it. You get somebody to give you a publishing deal. Guess what, that's your job. You don't have a regular job anymore.
Speaker 7: And if you get the.
Speaker 3: Dream, yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: Getting a publishing deal.
Speaker 2: For me, that was it. That was like I signed my first deal when I was twenty five years old, and I that was like, that means you are a professional, paid professional songwriter. Yes, And if you put that into context. Somebody told me this once and I looked it up. It kind of holds true. In America, there's thirty five thousand paid professional baseball players, okay, majors, minors, semi pro, whatever. There's thirty five hundred paid professional songwriters in America. People who make a living as not all artists, but guys like me and Ernest and girls who write songs for other people like that's their job is just the writing of the music. There's thirty five hundred people in America that do that job, and maybe somebody can update me because I was like five years ago somebody told me that they're just obvious.
Speaker 1: You need to start leveraging the NFL numbers because we're smaller than the baseball numbers.
Speaker 7: We're like twenty I think we're like twenty two, twenty two hundred, twenty two hundred NFL players, and like right now, there's a lot more because you have a bigger roster you have you have fifty three man roster times thirty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Boys, it's way easier to be a songwriter than a baseball player, but way harder to be a well.
Speaker 1: Closer around there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but also like you, I mean, minor minor league BASBA players even Triple.
Speaker 2: A don't make shit.
Speaker 1: You don't make sure they don't make it.
Speaker 7: But like most songwriters will be baseball players.
Speaker 3: Dude, dude, I would like to probably compare a double a baseball player's salary to a first publishing deal salary.
Speaker 1: Oh really, that you got to make sure NFL players?
Speaker 2: Was that that somebody telling us twenty eight hundred songwriters? Damn? Wow?
Speaker 1: Even less dude, I know, well, it's tables keep turning.
Speaker 2: It's not tables. Turn last ten years have been a little rough on the old uh on the songwriters, just because of the way that music's consumed. Is trying to get that balance back out. But uh yeah, so most songwriters are not millionaires. That's like the that's just the truth of it. Most of them make a common misconception kind of well, I mean like some of them are, but most of them, like you're my first deal was for like twenty eight thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 1: Now is that twenty five?
Speaker 2: That's like pretty good? Yeah, how long is that contract?
Speaker 3: Probably forty years? Yeah, how many years?
Speaker 2: Four years?
Speaker 1: How old are you now?
Speaker 2: Thirty three?
Speaker 1: So when you re up to this one, is it you basically moved up in publishing companies.
Speaker 2: The same amount of quality. I mean, both of those companies are amazing. Universal Music is obviously like the big music company in the world. But yeah, yeah, it's more like the percentages come back in my favor the more that I do it. God, Like the salary part of it's a draw, so it's like an advance, but the royalties are what you're you're partnering, you're.
Speaker 3: Splitting, right, they'll give you a month, they'll give you a monthly payment.
Speaker 1: The potential is better you pay it back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it goes back.
Speaker 3: To it comes comes back out of your pocket.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I'm just trying to learn, dude. So it sounds like a big deal music.
Speaker 2: The money like the way money flows and music is wild, just wild. Yeah, it's it's complicated, and then once you get it, you're like, oh that makes sense. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Business manager was the best thing that ever happened to me, because yeah, I have a good one. I can't think about it, and now I don't have to. I just have to, like son some papers every now and then, and I know all of my ship's getting taken care of. No dude, all my bills, Like, I don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: He sneaks the power of attorney in there.
Speaker 7: He signed this you're an idiot. Yeah yeah, I keep on writing them songs and as you kill, keep going, keep seeing me.
Speaker 2: Those people get they get a dirty business manager. Those people get kicked out pretty quick. So yeah, they get found out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no question, had your credit card yesterday?
Speaker 7: I still ye, yeah, I know he still has credit card on the bustle with the boys credit card, so you could have bought beers. I could. I think it's the first, don't. I don't know what Will has been spending this credit card on, but I bought six bottles of water not with it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what have you been spending on it?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't use it like a debit card?
Speaker 3: Would you use it for cars?
Speaker 1: Trucks? Cars? As I'll plug that card info for Venmo and paying people like using the card instead of giving like the whole bank account card feed.
Speaker 7: Obviously, I got to look at that buck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think where would we should settle on? Twenty five d a piece.
Speaker 7: The buses and even more to condition than it was before.
Speaker 3: We're gonna put it back into the bus.
Speaker 2: I was when I walked down, Here's like, this is cooler in person.
Speaker 1: See those things aren't cool?
Speaker 2: Are great in person than they are.
Speaker 7: Most of this stuff. I think ninety nine percent of these stickers were on here when we first got this bus.
Speaker 3: I'd rather be spanking the monkey.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 7: There's one's my favorite.
Speaker 1: I think you were just thinking out loud, Okay, I was like, all right about Matt.
Speaker 7: My favorite sticker on this entire bus is behind you when you open the door on like that panel behind you, there's a big lizard and there's no lot lizards my favorite one. You ever heard a lot of lizard? So truckers drive trucks when you go to like a Love's gas station, your travel across country, those hookers lot lizards and then these they're grimy hookers that you get you paying like twenty bucks.
Speaker 3: No love that for anything.
Speaker 7: Put your peep over a sock or something like that in a town I don't know where is. I'm a big fan of that one. Little educational pieces. Yeah, but if you had to ask, can't afford it.
Speaker 1: In that movie erin water Boy, this is one I should know.
Speaker 3: This is like, I'm not you think I'll just sit there and soberly watch movies and take it all in.
Speaker 1: Or beer Fest.
Speaker 3: Oh god, that's it. I haven't seen that in years.
Speaker 7: That's a that's a phenomenal alright movie. The movie is so dumb. They kill off a character and then bring his twin brother back character and it was asked to be known as landfill quality fucking movies.
Speaker 2: I need to go back and watch Tonight, We're gonna Me and You're gonna get together, watch The blind Side and beer Fest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, last story, talk to us how you met, how you met Maren? And we want detail. Obviously, we can read stories, we can read articles, we can see you guys met.
Speaker 7: We're asking you to make us some money on views here. So here's a favorite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I met we writing songs and so like she moved to town to be a songwriter, not an artist, and we started writing like every week or two and and had like a creative relationship first and eventually became something different. But like we wrote songs like Tim McGraw and brothers Osbourne and she was a writer and then all of a sudden, she started like writing songs that people couldn't sing, Like she'd try to pitch them and then but nobody could do it. And that's when she started like making her own recordings again. And she's been doing this since she was eleven years old, like playing bars and like that's what people say. They're like, oh, this is like she became like was a fast. It was like fast for her and it's like, eh, kind of like if you take the whole, take it as a whole. It was. She's been doing it since she was eleven years old. But she's there's not I mean odd, like nobody she's the best songwriter I've ever met.
Speaker 3: I still believe that, Like there's no sorry, it's okay. I let that one go.
Speaker 2: I think most people would be like, yeah, it's true. She best singer in Nashville. Is it's just kind of crazy, like there's there and she's also like we talked about ninety center of the ship is not music that ninety percent she is great at so like she's just sort of like the if you would build an artist in for like country music in Nashville, it's it's her. So but we man, it's cool. We've had a really cool relationship. It is funny like I you, you forget how famous she. I forget how famous she is and so like because I am like a writer and I have a career as an artist, but it's not the same in any like even in the same stratosphere as hers. So it is funny like I'll sometimes forget, like, oh shit, she's a superstar and I am. I have to like kind of keep that in mind. It is like harder to like go out with her now, and like even we have like a couple of places we can go to dinner, but like for the most part, like she's got to kind of keep a low profile now. And uh but yeah, we we got engaged in Michigan at our lake house Michigan. Uh yeah, man, cool?
Speaker 1: What was your what was your first flirting pickup line tour? When did the table start to turn when you guys were at what comment did you have to.
Speaker 7: Saw a question?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I could. I could. We definitely into each other, like pretty early on, but I remember we ended up, uh were we started dating I think officially like New Year's Eve of like five years ago or something like that. So that was that was pretty That was pretty cool. It was like we're just gonna be dating now, and so that was kind of fun to like make out in front of everybody making Facebook, like all your friends are there, Like I guess they're actually together now, So like, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ryan fucking pulled it off.
Speaker 2: I mean, at one point, you know, I had more going on than than she did when we first you know, started writing, because she had just moved in Nashville, and then very quickly the script was flipped. So which is totally okay. Man. I feel like if you uh, I just I've always I don't feel threatened ever. I think people have asked me that it's like does this ever, like do you feel threatened by the success of your wife? It's like, fuck, no, man, It's like this is I have like the ultimate freedom. Oh I don't have. Like everything I do is just like icing like everything, like because being with somebody like that. I think that like dudes a lot of times get attracted to strong women and then they can't handle it because they feel like for some reason it diminishes them. And I feel the exact opposite. I feel like being with a strong woman frees me up to be literally do whatever I want. I don't have to worry about like I mean obviously to worry about her, but like I don't have to prop her up in any way. It's just she can handle her own shit, and I feel like that is a really cool way to have a relationship. You get to go golfing, and I like watching her like pop off on the internet at people, Like that's really fun for me. And then people either tell me like to back her up or like to tell her to stop, and it's like, man, I don't need to say anything, Like I'll come in there every once in a while when I feel like I need to say something. But for the most part, she can handle herself and that's cool. Yeah, and then uh, I don't know. I'm just like been proud over the last month because she's one of the I think the few country artists that's like been really vocal about like the stuff going on in our country and just even if you don't agree with it, like hey, she's putting herself out there in a big way and and and that's that takes nuts. It really does, especially in our genre.
Speaker 3: Where you know that everybody's going to crucified, famously crucified yea having an opinion.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, especially if you don't that's correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like keep politics out of it. It's like, no, you just don't.
Speaker 7: Agree with her politics, like she said, exactly what you want.
Speaker 2: Just like the massive double standard for people who I think are I mean you deal with the people tell I mean, if if if you if you have any opinion it it's like, hey, you just go like just keep singing. That's all we want you to do. And it's like I'm a I built this platform, it's mine. I can do whatever the funk I want with it, right, or.
Speaker 6: It's like what Okay, so what is your exact job? Oh, you're a your only plumbers can have an opinion. But hearn is actually like really outspoken to on social media, and that's hey.
Speaker 7: You don't say I just think that man wrots a bullet on a Wednesday. He's outspoken.
Speaker 2: It's hard to have that when you when your platform is smaller. And I feel the same way. And sometimes I say stuff and sometimes I don't. And this, this conversation got a little took a left turn from yeah for sure, shout out number. I want I want details on how you and Marin got together, but like, honestly, it's just like it was a creative partnership that became something more and now we really do have a cool thing.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Dude. Well I appreciate you coming on bus with the boys. Apologies for the boy beings. Yeah, everybody crashing. I think it made for a good seat.
Speaker 7: Like Bruce Pearl, I love seeing you, I love seeing you, I love I love you.
Speaker 3: We got to play golf, were neighbors.
Speaker 2: Me and Will played yesterday. We invited you.
Speaker 3: I had I had another golf, you know, golf.
Speaker 1: He golfed eighteen.
Speaker 2: I didn't have time to play eighteen yesterday he has golf, You're always welcome to come back.
Speaker 7: That's fucking crazy. Hey, Taylor, Literally, I literally did Ernest's podcast yesterday and he's like, I got to play eighteen holes. I was like, cool, man, I'll see you called the bill. Hey, I did Ernest's podcasts, like, yeah, man, that's great, gotta go. I'm going to play golf. And I had him like, are they fucking playing together dude? Without me?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't golf, So would you think would you? I'd go out there and hey, if you good enough, guy, beers on a golf cart. Everybody see uh yeah, everybody sucks at golf.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. I know.
Speaker 7: I'm not worried about sucking at things. I'm say, this can go down a really weird road, but very much.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. I can't wait. I've heard him a couple of times.
Speaker 7: People who think they've made it, gotcha. I'm twenty nine years old, twenty nine this month. Actually I'm actually still twenty eight and still.
Speaker 3: Haven't made it.
Speaker 7: It's hard, Yes, I haven't made it.
Speaker 4: It's hard for me.
Speaker 1: It's hard for me to pick up See what he's building down the road.
Speaker 7: But I never had that bug as a kid. My dad never made me go or nothing. Hell long, I've been golfing for well.
Speaker 2: I grew up playing and then I quit because I was like, I'm bored and I don't want to do this anymore. He had made it yet, I hadn't made it yet, and that I made it, honestly, like when everything's shut down, that was the only thing you could do. And I was like, I guess I'm gonna go to play too golf with my brother.
Speaker 3: I might not make it because of golf. Yeah, Like, dude, I literally quarantine. I never played golf in my life. I was always a baseball player, though, and I sliced the shit out of the ball from the left side with my golf swing, so I was always discouraged. Quarantine happened. My parents started playing golf out of nowhere, so I was going to meet them at the caave and like walk nine holes with them two or three times a week. And I just swopped over and started hitting right handed and realized I had way more fun. And I just haven't stopped since the beginning of Quarantine. I just played golf all the time.
Speaker 1: I love the camaraderie, you know what I mean. Yeah, And you're like, it's my brother and to my manager, I'm like, okay, I'm going three people I've never actually been met in real life. But it was a solid time.
Speaker 7: Were you nervous at that first t though?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What what gets me is is everyone wants to be so silent when somebody's swinging and me, I kind of don't mind, Like, hey, boys play some music. Yeah I stopped watching me all right, Hey, but no doubt you definitely feel that way. It's more like, I hope I don't just roll this thing in front of me. But I was like I was getting them in the air and they were just going everywhere else you hit, But I don't mind. I didn't mind that at least I'm swinging them hit.
Speaker 7: I'll tell you what I love. What I going to like top golf, getting a pitching wedge out, hitting it completely wrong. I hit that thing one hundred and ninety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to talk. You were about to compliment hit.
Speaker 2: Hit one. He got a hold of one and went like eight feet off the ground for like two hundred and eighty yards.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And we just say, yeah, just like guy, this.
Speaker 1: Boy has been lifting weights a Chase. He was a fan of the old. Uh, I've been taking your cigar holder around you like that piece? Oh I've been, Yeah, I've been utilizing it.
Speaker 7: Who is it?
Speaker 2: This is.
Speaker 7: Hey Taylor.
Speaker 1: Chase, that's his tour manager. And he's also like he was claiming that Jack and Garrett are two of his boys that he grew up with.
Speaker 7: There you ever seen them play spike Ball?
Speaker 4: I haven't.
Speaker 7: Actually, Oh well they're actually one, two, three, four, fourth and fifth place on the bus right now talking about that spike Yeah, he's barstool tag this in that barstool.
Speaker 1: I did see that. I was like, little did they know that we've been taking this very serious.
Speaker 7: We've been taking spike ball serious as fuck.
Speaker 1: You probably got a roll though, Yeah, you gotta roll. I appreciate you coming on man.
Speaker 2: This was fun.
Speaker 1: Guys, gals, people of all ages, appreciate you so much for tuning me into another episode of Busting with the Boys. If you haven't yet, please subscribe to the episode on Apple, podcast, Spotify, whatever platform you're on.
Speaker 2: We're on there.
Speaker 1: We have a YouTube channel, Busting with the Bull. We would love if you subscribe there as well. If you are subscribed and you want to be more for the boys, unsubscribe and resubscribe. Again, it sounds funny, it's stupid and kind of obnoxious, but all of your subscriptions and resubscribing and stuff, it helps in these little algorithm games for climbing charts. Because again, we were very organic you guys. Where we're at is because of you guys, so we like to keep it fucking organic and just from us, dude to us versus the world.
Speaker 2: But we really do.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate your guys and support. A few of you had questions about merchandise. You can go Our merchandise store is on barstoolsports dot com. Go over to shop and we are under the brand Bustle with the Boys. You can find all of our gear there. We restart constantly. Now, if you guys have any ideas, shout us out. If you guys buy the gear, shout us out. We really do love when you guys talk back to us, add us, mention us, put us on your stories, tag us all that fun stuff. We like grabbing that stuff and putting in on our YouTube episodes, and again, we just love it. Man, We love you guys, we appreciate you so much. Keep being for the fucking boys. Keep being a wolf.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The biggest of hugs and the tiniest of kisses. We love you. We appreciate you. Tune in next week for another episode of Busts with the Boys.
Speaker 2: H nod Man a.
Speaker 7: Mother drug stops Darklings, Donas hall
Speaker 2: Zasy loves Louise