Speaker 1: Sean Weatherspoon aka Spoon Jones, part owner of Legacy Sports Complex here in Atlanta, Georgia, and I'm really enjoying myself being with the NFL Player Second Acts Podcast.
Speaker 2: Check them out.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the NFL Player Second Acts Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Peanut Tillman. This is my guy, Roman Harbor. What's up? What's up? Baby?
Speaker 4: Appreciate it man, No no nicknames, no nothing, getting straight to it. Got a great guest here, a former enemy of mind that I would always say it has always been a really good friend Lowki, just because he's a great person. But first and foremost, let me thank all of our listeners for always tuning in, and also iHeartRadio for allowing us to be in their studios right here in Atlanta Midtown or for all of us booshes want that out.
Speaker 3: There northwest at length. That don't even sound right, It doesn't. It sounds really weird. I like that they said this is where we're at Midtown. Sounds pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so let me introduce our guests. Guys.
Speaker 3: He's a first round picked out Missouri, played linebacker for seven seasons for the Cardinals and the Falcons. He's the co owner of Legacy Sports Complex and it's not just a gym. It's a training ground for champions. Ladies and Jim, please walk up to the pod Sean.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you for having me. Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that it's not just a gymsus chap.
Speaker 2: I'ma I'm gonna go ahead and kick it off with the heat.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now, don't be getting mad because it's not about everybody, but others want to know. Well, okay, okay, because like and we go, it's even deeper, right, it does go deeper because we can go to sec.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 4: But anyways, you go by Sean, but that's not your real government name, Franklin DeShawn Weathers.
Speaker 2: So why do you not go by it Franklin or frank when no one called me Franklin in my household?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm from a small towns called Jasper, Texas, where it's like eight thousand people. So you know, we probably had like eight or nine teachers per grade, you know, so eight or nine different classes, and none of my teachers called me Franklin as well, So it was always the black teachers called me Deshaun and the white teachers called me Sean that's as it was growing up.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 3: That's kind of like the whole Charles thing, Like Peanut. No one in my my first my government name is Charles, but no one in my family like mom, dad, Auntie, mom and l like everybody, it's this is Peanut, right, It ain't none of that, Hey Charles. If my Charles Anthony I was in trouble, I probably I probably did something wrong. So yeah, I definitely feel you on that. That's uh yeah.
Speaker 4: And for somebody that's only been called his government name his whole life, I guess I'm not envious of that either, because I've only been called Roman.
Speaker 3: No mommy, had no nicknames, no nothing, nothing, Hey Salt and Pepper, Hey, hey Gray, Hey, none of that nothing.
Speaker 1: I always thought you were older than what you I saw you when I saw you, know, you show everybody you were one of the players from the Saints that you know, the Falcons had to find out where this guy was going to be, so they would show you a picture and I'm like, he's do it. And then I look at your age, I'm like, oh, he's not that much older than me. But it always kind of threw me off. But that's a good joke.
Speaker 3: Everyone thinks he's old man. Everyone think he had throw back player. He's been he's been on since his rookie year he got to the league, was og like his rookie year.
Speaker 2: How that happened?
Speaker 4: I do not, Well, it's funny, just because my vets that were in the room literally like, dude, did he go on like a mission trip? Did he like serving the armed forces for like four or five years? Where does dude coming from?
Speaker 2: It's just kind of it's been that way since I was in high school.
Speaker 3: So ho.
Speaker 4: But I'm just glad you guys actually noticed me a little bit, so it was all good.
Speaker 3: It ain't a blessing all that dot. Don't look at it like that. It's not a blessing.
Speaker 2: It's weird. And you know, likes to always joke like it's weird.
Speaker 4: What did you think the first time you saw roaming like in a program or the first time because everybody's like, dude, how old is that guy?
Speaker 1: So you've been dealing with that for a while. It gives you like a little secret sauce, like a little ass right there. The young guys might be like, oh he oh, but when you get out there in the post and you and you're strapping up, coming up with a pick or getting some sacks like he's been buying.
Speaker 3: Rome has been buying cigarette and booze for everybody since he was like fifteen years old.
Speaker 2: Making a little money on making little money on the side. That's literally what he was doing.
Speaker 3: So is it is it true that you were the first linebacker drafting the first round Atamazoo?
Speaker 2: I think so. I think so.
Speaker 1: I don't think I actually followed that stat to know that, but every time I go there, the way they treat me, it kind of always.
Speaker 2: Yeah, comes for most definitely, most definitely.
Speaker 1: And one thing I was proud of is I graduated early and each year I was a starter. I was an All Conference first team So that's something that a lot of people didn't do that as well.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, how often do you get to go back to m I z It's tough. It's hard to get there.
Speaker 2: Too, I mean not easy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once you fly into Kansas City or Saint Louis. He got a nice little trek down seventy or upsetn which way you're coming from.
Speaker 2: But I'll go once a year, maybe, you know.
Speaker 1: I like to get my kids back on the ground and let them kind of see the stomping grounds.
Speaker 2: And that's where I met their mom. So she's from Kansas City.
Speaker 1: My wife, Christine, So we tend to get back to Missouri at least a few times a year. My best friend Jeremy Macklin is coaching Kirkwood Pioneers, his high school in Saint Louis. They're in the playoffs, so we'll try to link up a little bit.
Speaker 2: How you know, you and Jeremy mack was like that.
Speaker 1: And roommates and the same pick consecutive draft. I didn't know that crazy. He was the four star recruit and I was the two star recruit, you know, so I always had him to look at and kind of strive for something, you know. Gary Pinkle didn't come to my house. Yeah, he went to a lot of the other guy's house, but Mattie Refluse came to my house. And flux is my guy who recruited me.
Speaker 4: And yeah, and so I've been on campus like once, so I haven't been there a lot.
Speaker 2: So I would love to go back.
Speaker 4: And you guys really do really really good things, and the program's going tremendously.
Speaker 2: It's an exciting town.
Speaker 1: You know, when the kids are in school, that's when it's you know, it's sad as best. You know, we're in summer, you know, it's kind of chill. You got the football players, you got the other athletes in town, but not so much going on.
Speaker 2: But when it's.
Speaker 1: Going down in Columbia and you have a good football team, kind of reminds me of Atlanta. Like the stadium, it's always going to be popping when the team is popping. When the team isn't popping, it's not gonna you know, it ain't gonna like that. So you kind of got to earn it. And I respect that because you know, people work hard with their money and what they do with it is up to them, right absolutely. I went there back in oh six. I was a two star recruit man. Came in and just kind of had that chip on my shoulder and wanted to, you know, leave a legacy there. Got a chance to be around a lot of great people. And you know, that's the reason for success, I think, is being around great people in the time and of things. And Gary Pinkel the way he kind of called it to me, he was like, you're a big twelve guy, and now you know, drink will be saying you're yeah, sec. That's what he's telling the kids coming in to Missoo now. But it's a place that you know, I always try to get back to. I want to go there more often than I actually am able to get there because my roots are here now. But it's a great town, got some great food. The people are really nice. Everybody who I meet that are you know around this area. You got people that have allegiances with Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia. When they take that trip to Como, they always say, man, that's a good place. Man.
Speaker 2: The fans treat us with respect. For sure.
Speaker 1: It's a place where you can go and feel like you don't have to worry about no baby cussing you out at ten am in the morning or eleven o'clock kick off.
Speaker 2: You want, you won't have to worry about that.
Speaker 1: Now, some places in the SEC that brown liquor gets going pretty early. So Columbia is a place where they treat you with class and you really feel welcome there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I'm sure Alabama's one of those.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, he's talking about Lut's not talking about were not like that.
Speaker 2: Completely that's LSU. But what I will say is that I went on.
Speaker 4: What I want to know is, so you had a great career at Missouri, you get to the NFL, you draft the first route.
Speaker 2: What was your first welcome to the NFL moment? Oh?
Speaker 1: Man, there was a guy by the name of Tony Gonzalez here, Oh yeah, and hated guard man. I bet you did, because his leverage was just something that was special. So, you know, I thought the older guys, you know, they would struggle with my my youth, you know, my athleticism, with me being able to run, and you know, I never really got in a hurry when I was guarding these guys. But I noticed that at the top of the route, Tony had the secret sauce. The secret sauce, right, So it was kind of cool. A lot of people get drafted and you go into your rookie minute camp. It was the opposite. I got drafted and in that Mother's Day weekend, I was out here with all the vets because our camp was a veteran camp. Right away, the whole team was boomed, so I'd have to make no calls or nothing. So being out there with Eric Coleman and Thomas day Cool, William Moore, Curtis Lofton, John Abraham, I mean a lot of guys on our defense that he.
Speaker 2: Knew what was going on.
Speaker 1: Coy Wire was one of those guys, Mike Peterson, guys that really helped raise me. And so it was a different time in the league when I came in. I'm sure you guys probably was in two of days with past both practices. I was in two of days, but you know we didn't have passed in that second practice. But the older guys they did a good job of just bringing me along and not really having resentment towards me from me being the first round pick, who essentially is you know, coming here to play and maybe cut into your time. So I got a shout out Mike Peterson. He was the one that he called me the baby lion. He gave me a chance to really, you know, watch what a professional is and to kind of see, you know, how it should be done in that leadership role from you know, from being a linebacker. The team is always looking at you, right, and so my I think it was my third year, I was the will linebacker, but here I am with the headset. So I think that's a testament to the guys that I was around.
Speaker 2: But it was.
Speaker 1: Definitely Tony routing everybody up. He was routing everybody. I don't care who you were, you get to the top of the route. He doing some little, some little stuff to just get him open. And there was a guy by the name Coach Selfo, who was his tight end coach. He's from He's from Louisiana. I think, not too far from New Orleans actually, he I mean just bonafide that. You know. You come in as a young linebacker, you ready to go. I see Tony. I'm like, okay, I gotta go out here. I gotta get it. I can make my mark. I can show everybody. You know what I can do. Because when I was drafted, I was drafted to cover Reggie Bush and so that was what they told me.
Speaker 2: Right then, Bone, this is what you're gonna do.
Speaker 1: You're gonna day one, you're gonna be the dim linebacker. You might not play in the run game. That's gonna be something you're gonna have to earn, but you're gonna get a chance. That's to cover and show the skills I exemplified playing in the Big twelve because We threw the ball a lot, a lot of great tight ends in that conference that I and backs that I played against as well. So when I got here, you know, I was like, I'm gonna get Tony. So I went out there. He put it on the clinic on all the linebackers. Tom Brady came in town for training camp. He brought Gronk, he brought and Hernandez. They put on the clinic as well. So Hernandez saw, I mean, bro, whatever they want to say, one of the best football players I've ever seen. We signed with the same agent and Zach Robinson, the coordinator for the Foulers right now. We all lived in the same apartment complex, and the way that we would work and compete against each other. The only person to tell me he was going to hit me with a move and then actually hit me with the move. You know what I mean, man. He told me this in January, and we played in the fall and.
Speaker 2: He hit me with the same move.
Speaker 1: And I just got a chance to see the way that the veterans worked, you know, when I got here, and so Foe he was saying, he says, see that's bum don't touch eighty eight. You see that my kids going to college. He's in the weight room, just Tony out there do his work. Man.
Speaker 2: It's just excited. We all we all had a good time here.
Speaker 1: But that welcome to the League moment was definitely Tony Gonzalez. And it was kind of how everybody was talking about Rookie night coming up, Rookie dinner, Rookie dinner. The guys kept talking about it, you know, but I didn't get too you know, up or two down about it. I just kind of, I know I'm gonna have to, you know, take care of this night. But they took it a little easy on me. So, Yeah, I got.
Speaker 2: Rookie bringing the podcast.
Speaker 1: What you need me to do, I'm run down to your car at the hotel. You need me to whatever. I just did my part.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that.
Speaker 4: That's universal too, Peanut that that Popeye is chicken, bro.
Speaker 2: Everyone did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you had to before the games before you get on that play grease sweating all say no excuses.
Speaker 1: We got uber eats and changing terminals and stuff at the at the airport. You call in the airport, y'all got it because we actually had Pop's in the airport. That's love here, right, so all he had do is kind of just make sure that we're in the right place, right, and they would make it happen for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's lucky.
Speaker 3: That's so much love.
Speaker 2: So Rome played for the Saints.
Speaker 3: Then you went to Carolina for two years, and then you went back to the Saints. Something similar happened with you. You went to Atlanta for a few years, and you go to Arizona. What made you want to go back to the Falcons.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it.
Speaker 1: Was a place I'm familiar with, a place that showed me a lot of love. And once the business side of things started to happen, that's where the discrepancy started to come. And that's what ended up, you know, sending me out to Arizona. And so it was it was a few teams that called Flush was actually in he was down in Dallas, Okay. He was a linebackers coach there. So he's called, man, let's do it like we did it at Missoo. Because when I was at Missou we balled out here. We won like almost forty games. I mean it was we're gonna roll out the ball and we're gonna score some points and we're gonna get a lot of opportunities on defense to make some plays. And I happened to be one of those guys, playing the will linebacker in a four to three system where the scheme was run through track and hammer, and I was a guy that was normally always tracking the ball inside out. That afforded me to make a lot of plays. And so, you know, I talked to Flus, He's like, spoom, come down. I'm like, I grew up a Cowboys fan, so you know, my parents threw some nice, you know, nineteen nineties parties when the Cowboys was doing their things. None of the Cowboys stuff was involved, just just King of Beers, you know, Budweiser and a little brown maybe. But the family had a good time celebrating during those times. And so I kind of had a nostalgic connection with that. And it's coach coach Flux who coached me at Missou.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. It was like, ah, that was tough.
Speaker 1: And then Steve Kahan was the guy who I was close with during the process who was the GM for the Cardinals, and he kind of always was a good friend of mine, and so we spoke a lot and he was like, bring me a nose tack, Bring me a nose tack, and I'm like, I got one. So one of my best friends, Corey jelly Bean Peters, played for a long time here in Atlanta, played his first I think five seasons. We went out to Arizona together, ended up staying out there playing six or seven more years, and then going to Jacksonville and now I think he's working with them. But so and then at the actual Saints called me too man soon. Sean Payton was a guy who I got a chance to speak with for a while and really kind of understand his philosophy. And the Saints were going through a lot of things defensively at that time to where he was calling Falcon players to come to come down there, you know, so I had a chance to speak with him. He had ties to Dallas as well, kind of you know, had a lot of respect for him in the way he did his thing down in New Orleans, and you know, it came down to those three teams and then staying in Atlanta. So I knew I would I would have to do a one year deal because I ruptured my achilles the off season before my last year on my rookie contract, and so I didn't get a chance to be a part of you know, the fourteen team where I think you was in in Carolina, y'all came up. I think you guys might have been the last the last strawf of Mike Smith. It was the last game I've never seen. I've never seen this ever, Mike Smith. You know, I love Mike. He drafted me, changed my life. Him and Thomas the Metro, great guys. I love their scheme. You know, I had a good time in their scheme, some fun playet. But man, he was walking on fans and needles around here. Man, he's coming out of his office like he can't cut the music down because I'm not playing. But I'm the ultimate hype man to make sure these guys ready to go. So I'm playing the tunes.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We we bumping, We got it rocking, and we're trying to make sure that you know, the division was kind of in the state that is in now.
Speaker 2: It was all over place like the Saints.
Speaker 4: Then they like lost the last six games of the year, and then Atlanta was ahead of us.
Speaker 2: We were like.
Speaker 4: And it was like next year we looked up Saints lost again and it was down between the Falcons and US.
Speaker 2: So we still had a chance to make the playoffs.
Speaker 1: And here goes a news report the Falcons have hired some outside firm to help them find their new coach. And that's why I could see why wasn't it wasn't even fire. We can still make the playoffs, So I see why. He was kind of, you know, smitty, we call them the silver Fox. He kind of you know, I got some, but he was. He was a little, you know, kind of on edge man, and so we ended up getting our butt kicked, our butts kicked in that game.
Speaker 2: It was a rough day, man.
Speaker 1: And so Dan Quinn comes in, he brings in his regime, right and they're talking about the Cover three that Seattle was running, which is the Cover three.
Speaker 2: I do not like, but I get it. And Quinn, you know, he was solid dude. Man.
Speaker 1: We talked beforehand. My wife at the time, she's just my lady. We're pregnant, you know, we're kind of trying to figure out life and what we're gonna do. And of course my daughter's on the way, and right as free agency starts, you know, we're in the hospital, and so we leave Atlanta to go to Arizona with a two week old baby. Man, So, I mean, it's a lot of things going on in my life at the time. I was twenty seven, I want to say. And Arizona they gave me The Falcons said they paid me good enough for me to just say, hey, I want to be here at all cops, right, So that's kind of the contract they offered me.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, na, we're not gonna rock like that.
Speaker 1: So dan Quinn was like, spowned, I respect it, I understand, do what you gotta do. The Saints gave me a nice little offer and then Arizona matched it, and then I could take my best friend with me to go play nose tackle and he get his deal, and everything kind of just made since their team was a good team. Collais Campbell a beast of a human, a great human. He's still a player, got still getting sacks. It was a great place for me to go and just kind of just you know, learn to be an adult. You know, Atlanta is a little it's a little wild out here in Atlanta. You get out here, you twenty two years old, it's a lot of things that can distract you, but ultimately the first three years we win in football games. We won thirty six games in the regular season my first two years. I'm thinking that's just what you do, right, And so that that fourth year, I was a little banged up, miss some games. That was the first year you could be on IR and be designated to return. So I was one of the players that did that, and it just didn't bowl well for me. And then I'm really working hard that off season looking forward to that that last year on my contract, and then bone the Achilles went so Falcons, you know, they treated me the business side of things, pushed me to Arizona. Yeah, went out to a z and Ba. I don't know if you guys know Ba, but he's a wild boy. He's a wild boy, so Bruce, he gonna he he likened me to Dan. He's a spoon trying to hit us with the dance. But he don't want to practice. I'm like, Bro, I ain't played since twenty twelve in the way I want to play. I haven't played since twenty thirteen where I started a game. Here it is twenty fifteen. I don't want to miss practice. I want to go out and do all I can. So I can you know, prove to myself that I can still do this. Also put myself in a position to where financially, I'll have an opportunity to, you know, drop some roots in Arizona if I like to, or go see what other team I might you know, like, and so pull my hamsteing in training camp, miss some time. God by the name of Kevin Minter, God by the name of day On Buchanan. Both of these guys are think first and second round picks by Steve Kahan. They had a chance to really, you know, show what they could do. They brought Dayon in the box and he was able to play linebacker, and so they play well. And I was like, okay, they want to pay me almost five million dollars for you know, to cover the running back and the tight end. I'll just get healthy, you know. So got a chance to get healthy, contributed as much as I could. We made the championship game, and then we went to Carolina. We threw six picks in that game. You're not gonna win that game on the road. And I think that was a year you were you got to call yeah, We're yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you guys that joined up, y'all teamed up and I made the super Bowl and then Atlanta. You know, they were in a position where the guys they wanted, you know, to play the linebacker in fifteen, it was an eight and eight season, so they wanted to get better, but ultimately they wanted to bring me back to kind of be you know, the vet, the face, the smile, get everybody going.
Speaker 2: But I'm coming back. I'm like, man, I'm ready to go. So I'm trying to eat. I hit the ground running.
Speaker 1: They drafted Devondre Campbell, Deon Jones, some guys who can really play some ball. In Deon, I'm like, man, def Andre was actually all pro to. So both of those guys really, you know, we raised Philip Wheeler was here. Patrick Warlow, I'm sorry, remember Pat, Paul. I'm sorry, Paul. Don't get me for that peed up. He did a good job of filling in and making plays. I never seen a guy get back to back games with you know, nineteen tackles in the NFL, and he's a that's did that and knock them down against Carolina too, I think one year. But came back here and we had the Super Bowl run. So it was a heck of a year man, I hit the ground running. I didn't start the first game. But one thing about dan Quinn, they they kind of they'll they'll do some things in practice to really show who's who's getting after it, right, So they're telling me they don't want me to do the same things I did here in Atlanta. We kind of bringing you in a different role. I shook his hand, I said, thanks. I'm gonna go out every day and just try to be me. Make it hard on you guys. That's my job, right. So every so often my picture would go up in the in the practice in the film room for being, you know, the most productive player at practice. You get to sign your name. Boom, picture go up, Picture go up. Might be a couple of pictures. Spoons, Spoon, Campbell, Spoons, Spoon, Jones, Spoon, Renolds, Leroy Reynolds, another special team Demon, really good linebacker two who played on that team, Philip Willi pop up their warlow. And so everybody got an opportunity to play, you know, because we were a young team. But Campbell ended up spraining his ankle pretty good and I got a chance to start. So I hadn't started for the Falcons since twenty thirteen, and then I started the next three games, and in the first four games, I think we were three on one, and in the games I started, we won all those games. So here I am twenty eight, feeling good back, you know, great to be back in the city, playing some really good ball.
Speaker 2: And then the other Achilles went.
Speaker 1: So then I just kind of went into a role where I was helping those guys be you know, kind of trying to do what Mike Peterson and.
Speaker 2: Corey Wire and I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 1: And I think Andy Reid came in here and whooped up on us, and then all of a sudden, that team just said, boom, we figured it out. And those young guys, man, they beat Green Bay late in the game. Mohamed Sanu, my business partner and former teammate, my brother, he happened to win that game against Aaron Rodgers with the last touchdown, and man, we had a heck of the year.
Speaker 2: And then Tom Brady ruined it, you know, and.
Speaker 3: Then and then next year, I'm Brady.
Speaker 1: Next year, you know, I'm rehabbing, and you know, I didn't get an opportunity to get you know, off the ground for real. But that ended up being my last year twenty seventeen, and so the last time my dress was against the later in the season that year. Man and been in Atlanta every since, man, raising my kids and you know, just trying to figure things out, pulling out my golf swing here and there, and I.
Speaker 2: Just get it. Just enjoying life. We'll be back in a minute.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about your your your second act, what you're doing now. And you mentioned earlier Mohammed Sanu, your business partner, yep. I want you to tell us how you even got into that, the Legacy Sports Complex. How did you even get into this?
Speaker 1: Well, I've always been the guy who kind of get the other guys going, kind of get them in the right place, you know. I always I always took that to be something I really wanted to do, like not just know what I'm doing, but why I'm doing it, and then trying to share the knowledge with the other guys as well. And so that comes from my mom. She was a teacher in Jasper for like thirty thirty two years, you know, so she kind of instilled that in me. And so my son and Mohammed's son are about thirteen months apart, maybe twelve, about a year apart. So these guys hang out a lot, right because you know, me and Moe become teammates, obviously, the ladies come become friends, and then we're having kids, we're growing and so MJ. That's Mold's son, he's nine, and then my son, baby Sean, he's eight. They ended up just just really locking in. And so they live in Gwinnett. I'm in the cab, so every so often my son would be out staying at their place, and most started taking MJ to a gym not too far from their house, and he's just kind of sitting back watching what's going on at the gym. And first of all, you see a sense of community and the kids in Gwinnett.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a different place, man.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of how I grew up in Texas, because like when you rolled out of football, then everybody's you know, wide eyed, trying to figure out, you know, what they need to do in order to be out there so they don't lose like their brothers did.
Speaker 2: When they were young.
Speaker 1: Right, Like that's I remember being in the car telling my mom, we ain't gonna lose when it's my turnout, Like and we didn't win state either, but anyway, it's just that DNA, that DNA, like you're gonna love ball, You're gonna hit, you're gonna run, you're gonna talk some smack and have a good time.
Speaker 2: And so I saw that in the gym, yeah, with the kids.
Speaker 1: Moe was telling me about it and then he ended up going on board with them, and so once he got on board, he ended up bringing me to the gym. And I'm watching the kids work out and seeing kind of how it's going in our partner, Dustin Chavannik, and also Christian Blake, who's another wide receiver played with the Falcons out of n IU. He's another partner in the gym too, so he's in his second act as well. And so I just got a chance to be around these people and see the community and what it's doing for the youth there. And you got all kinds of sports in there. It's not just a football gym. It's a baseball gym, it's a mma gym, it's a wrestling gym, it's a you know, the moms are in there the boot camp. I see the Falcons wives, the coaches wives are in there doing boot camps. In the morning. And I mean, everybody's just trying to get better and better themselves. And that makes me feel good to see people, you know, trying to be better. And so I watched it for a while and then trying to figure out ways that it could make sense for me, and so I ended up coming on board. And now here we are on third location, looking at our fourth location here in this metro area.
Speaker 4: Man, so you guys are almost expanding like franchises, Yes, because like explain this whole business model, because you see it at one place and you said, it's the community there that you know, that's what attracted you to. It was the space and the people inside of Yes, So you take that put it in another building somewhere else. You don't have the same people, yeah, but you do have the same people. But you do you do because we're running all over Georgia.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm from Hoshton where the new gym is, to Lawrenceville, to Swanee and even checking out the new spot and ken that we're looking at, you know, so it's a lot of hey, bro, what you got today? Yeah, And so everybody's kind of we all got the secret sauce because we've done it right.
Speaker 4: And it's the emotion too, that's what you're saying. Like, dude, I've been a hype man since right, because I've been a hype right.
Speaker 1: So we're bringing we're bringing other people on and just trying to instill our values in them. If that's just the way we live our lives and the way we are on the turf with the kids, and just how we respect people. And I think that's something that's drawn a lot of people to come to the facility. And I think Moe was late today because he's meeting with North Side Hospital and so I wasn't able to get out there this morning.
Speaker 2: But they're looking to come in, come in on board, and you.
Speaker 1: Know, facilitate you know, the fees so other kids can even come into this gym.
Speaker 3: Yeah, specifically, I want to talk about the business side. You guys just focused on the youth, like young kids. No, No, you don't, not at all, not at all. So the youth is kind of where my heart is.
Speaker 1: But I think some of my business partners they're kind of looking at it to be one of those places where guys can have their combine training there, where they can actually rent out the space. I mean, because the youth don't need the seven like sauna. The youth is not doing cryo therapy, the youth is not using the hot Cat. But all these gems have all of these amenities there, and so we would definitely like to grow it to the fact to where, like I said, like an act, like an agency like athletes. First, my agency could have their guys come in Boom and they know if they're in Atlanta, they can they can.
Speaker 2: Do that thing.
Speaker 1: It's competing, right, It's competing with D One, it's competing with Exos, And actually an NFL actually gives us benefits through EXOS. But I don't even go to EXOS because we have Barbara Orthopedic and their therapy people right in our space. So I can go there and get PRP in my own gym and be in my the seven Light signer, the cryo therapy, get all that stuff. So it kind of keeps my body young too, because I've been thinking about doing some more things with my body as well. I just got off the phone with my buddy Russell Okung and he just he just partnered with Abby. Yeah, pay me in bitcoin, and so he's gonna pay me in bitcoin and go out to the Abby Dobby and run around in the seven H seven flag game and maybe grow the game a little bit more there.
Speaker 2: So it's exciting.
Speaker 1: It's exciting to give back also for my buddies to be in town that are still playing and I can send there to my place, you know, and the first time I just say, man, y'all go sign their waver.
Speaker 2: Now, got some expensive legs, got some expensive needs.
Speaker 4: Indeed, what is the vision for you guys like you had like, Okay, what is the end zone?
Speaker 2: What is the touchdown? What does the super Bowl like? What does that look like?
Speaker 1: I can't say that for everybody, but I can say that for me. I think the the end zone for me is to just know that you know, the name is called legacy. That's one thing that really stood out for me. I want my kids to be in an environment where they have all the opportunities to do everything they want to do athletically, and I'm going to facilitate everything they're going to do educationally and then teach them how to be humans. So that's that's all I want, good humans. That's all I want to do. I think at the end of the day, if I take care of that part, just doing my part, then everything else it's going to be somebody cut a check at the end of the day, and I don't even care about that. That'd be great because you know what you're able to do with that. But at the same time, ultimately I want to do something good while I'm here.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's my that's my vision. Yeah, now are you? Are you training the kids sometimes?
Speaker 1: Sometimes like today, you know, I'm not I'm not going to be on the turf today because my son, he is a wild boy.
Speaker 2: He's eight years old.
Speaker 1: He's in UFA Metro Soccer, he's in fall baseball, he's in spring baseball, he's in basketball, he's in football. We have a seven on seventeen through Legacy as well, and we were actually ranked in Pylon. I don't know if you know. PILAND is kind of like the biggest governing body. They put on the biggest you know, kind of seven on seven camps. That's where cam was out there, you know, whooping them up and nobody tries pulling.
Speaker 4: Out, but they was trying camp out there.
Speaker 2: I guess when you get.
Speaker 1: Older, they always try and camp, you know, you know how it is, It's that jealousy man, and Cam is flamboyant, it is, and so you know he has an a way too big to do.
Speaker 2: What do y'all doing? What do you think? What do you think is bigger than you think? Yeah? So were you? I agree? I agree? Yeah, you ain't no regular cornerback. You know. It's some big guys.
Speaker 1: That's one thing that kind of shocked me when I got to the pros to see how big guys are that are athletic and can move, because I always always knew how I was different.
Speaker 2: Like I'm like, yeah, I can run.
Speaker 1: I could be two fifty in still run for six you know, but I'm like, man, seeing like cornerback six foot three six two ten, two fifteen and moving and you know, being functional in.
Speaker 2: Space and things like that, that was different from me.
Speaker 1: And then to see the small guys do their thing as well, like the water bugs.
Speaker 2: Still find a way. Those ones, I hate it. Yeah, those are the worst ones. Like FROs he was on your team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bro, that's why I mean I would leave the game feeling like I give up forty yards and I feel like I got work, And I'm like, bro, that's good against him, you know, like he was serious, bro, But I mean the amount of exertion that you would have playing against some of these guys in the league.
Speaker 2: Your energy, Bro, you just be pooped after the game. Bro. Yeah, crazy.
Speaker 4: I want to know this because this is probably that'll be a one hundred percent honest I don't I didn't love a lot of things about Atlanta or you guys as teams.
Speaker 2: But y'all was beefing. Bro. You why was y'all beefing so much?
Speaker 1: Like remember jay Z saying, like people larguet over the over the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: They know, you know what I'm saying. I like, b it was me and Roddy was so bad at times.
Speaker 4: It was so bad, and it just like infused everybody on offense just got They were just hated me and I hated them. It was bad. It was mutual, Yeah, I know, it was very mutual. My favorite thing though, was you and your celebration the spoon. Yeah, I should have pattened that thing. You should have patten that. That was like and I didn't understand it the first three or four times I saw you do it.
Speaker 2: And then when.
Speaker 4: Curtis Lofton came to us and everything, he really like broke it down.
Speaker 2: I was like, can you gotta explained? They explained it's but I'm gonna go ahead and talk about it.
Speaker 1: So it kind of started back at Missou okay, But like I told you, Gary Pinkle kind of comes from Don James, the Nick Saban Tree, like they don't let you do nothing fun.
Speaker 2: Socks black and my socks white.
Speaker 1: Somebody in trouble, you're gonna get everybody gonna look alike, you're gonna say the right thing.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be on you know.
Speaker 1: So at practice I would kind of first it started with me like this, Hey, I'm eating out here, you know, And then I was.
Speaker 2: Like, man, I'm really eating. So I did it, and then he like showed us on film. Now we're not gonna do that.
Speaker 1: That's how Coach Pinker's like, we're not gonna have any of his knee stuff. I remember a guy by the name of Alden Smith was counting his sacks one game and great, great player.
Speaker 2: He was counting the sacks and we didn't spill no way about it. Get some more count the more.
Speaker 1: But he had to apologize to the team for counting his sacks in the game and he had three sacks. I mean, he ultimately won the game for us, but who cares, bro It's gonna be about doing it the right way, and it's gonna be about the name on the front more than it was about the name on the back.
Speaker 2: And so Coach Pinkle wouldn't let me do it at Missou. So I never did it in.
Speaker 1: Any of the games. I never did it in practice after the one time he told me not to do it. And so when I got here, my first sack was against the Cardinals. We played the second game, I sacked Derek Anderson. I started eating right, Kurt slapped me on the head, and it just kind of evolved like throughout the year. I remember there was a guy by the name a Little Bee who was like a rapper, you know what I'm saying, And he thinks to call him the base guy.
Speaker 2: His dance was eating or he'd be cooking or something, but always he do that.
Speaker 1: So it kind of evolved to where I might have pulled something out, you know, and ate a little bit, a little bit more deliberate with my choice of food.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's so like when you when you kiss the rookie years just so, but when you unsheathe it. It becomes a weapon, you know, you gotta do every time I do it, and when you pull it out and then you let him know you like this, this what's going down there. So I got a chance to pull that thing out a little bit down there in New Orleans. Sometimes and sometimes you make a play that doesn't need that, you know, you don't need that, Like it has to be like okay, you letting him know, like okay, I'm really I'm I'm on you right now.
Speaker 4: Even my funnest one, the funnest ones I enjoyed you do was even when you wouldn't eat, you just show us this.
Speaker 2: I might just put it. I might put it back and then cool.
Speaker 1: It's pretty cool because like you make a play and you look in the stands are you look at the sideline for your teammates.
Speaker 2: So it became something that was fun.
Speaker 1: Man, there was actually a spoon man in Atlanta bro He had spoons all over his jacket is his blazer, and they would come with the big foil spoons in the prime time games. And man, one time I ran through on Peyton Manning and they got knocked the ball down or something, and I pulled out both of them and yeah, we got to eat double against this guy right here right. He was disgusted man, and we won the game of Monday Night. It was pretty cool. And then guy by the name of Zeke he kind of took it and further. And then there was another guy by the name he was a safety. I'm a swag. What's his name though, I'm drawing a blank right now. Gratis are some safety smaller swaringer DJ. Yeah, he was a part of that. He was a part of the Arizona team too. Had so much town in Arizona. It was crazy as no way we should lose to y'all for the Super Bowl. I mean to go to the Super Bowl. That team was so much more talent than your team. But you guys, you guys got it. But thank you, Sweat and he pulled out too. I've never seen nobody love football like him though. He walk around football like it looked like how you're learning, Yeah, what's the other not how you're learning the program? Darnell Jefferson walking around with the ball. That was DJ Swaaron. Just once I met him, I was like, all right, but you can eat, bro, It's cool you like to eat.
Speaker 2: I get it. I get it. Well, I got a question for you.
Speaker 4: And we try and ask this the majority of our guess and it usually brings out a little bit of a mindset. And all right, Mount Rushmore, get four people, four people of the biggest influence to make you, Seawan Wetherspoon to who you are and get you to where you are right now?
Speaker 2: Who those four people be, Man, it gotta be my mom and put my mom there.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna put my dad there because you know, I saw my dad go to work his whole life.
Speaker 2: So my mom go to work her whole life.
Speaker 1: And they instilled in me to be somebody to get up off your butt and go do something and also be a respectful person. So I gotta just the way I think about, you know, dealing with people, it comes from them. And then my dad, he showed me the ball, you know, So I gotta I gotta put them up there now. If anything else, it's it's gonna be. This's gonna be a family thing for me. Bro I'm not looking. And that's why I think, you know, the dynamic, the family dynamic is kind of a little weird now, But I'm that kid that's the baby of four and so I'm looking at my big bro. My big bro. He the first one to go make sure my parents didn't have to pay for school. He went to Stephen F. Boston University. Started started as a truck. He's heat Nachadoches, which is the brother of nackat Is, those two Indian chiefs.
Speaker 2: But he spurned Northwestern State to go to Stephen F. Austin.
Speaker 1: And Jeremy Trotter is his big bro. And so trot was like two sixty like just sitting in the middle back in the nineties, just coming through just like he did in the league, just coming through and yeah, man, and he was that acts on his was pretty his was pretty dope too. But big bro, I got a shout out, big bro Te that's my oldest brother play linebacker as well. And then after that, mmm, that the fourth one, Who's I looking at? Man? Who's I looking at? It would have to be when it comes to football, it was Barry Sanders, Barry Man. So it's Barry Sanders. That's what made me like just really love the game. My big brother who exemplified, like this, how you do it? Yeah, and then my dad and my mom for creating me and treating you know, teaching me how to be an adult, how to be a human, a good human. Now that I'm an adult. It's really showing off. But yeah, that's my that's my Mount Rushmore. I don't look outside to the other things.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I respect the outside, but I take what I need to take, you know, and not use my discernment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your Mount Rushmore and you can put whoever you are man's that's a beautiful mount Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. I've heard great things about you, bro, and you didn't let me down today. Appreciate it. Man. I'm glad you guys, you know, had me in here. You guys doing a great job with it.
Speaker 1: I got a shout out my pot while I'm here too, True the True Signs Podcast with myself, Jeremy Macklin my college you know, buddy. So it's me Jay mack and then my buddy Kevin Rutland. So Kevin played corner for the Jags. He came in in the lockout year and Kevin's he's kind of he's a Missouri legend to me. Yeah, but like Max the Missou legend on offense, I'm one of the Missou legends on defense and so Kevin's in the middle. He's kind of like doing what you guys doing, kind of directing it, and me and Mack kind of just talking. You know, we're talking ball talking about Missou because right now it's going down.
Speaker 2: So let him do the heavy lifting. Dog you come in there and put the swag on exactly.
Speaker 1: Aaron Murray is actually the guy who partnered with us at TPL, which is called The Players Lounge. Chase Daniel kind of hooked us up with Aaron, and so Aaron's producing our show and it's called The True Sons Podcast.
Speaker 2: You guys can check it out on all the platforms. Awesome there it is, y'all. Go check that out, figure it out. You're gonna get us out of you want me to do it? Think you do it?
Speaker 4: Man, You can flow to you right now. You know I am filling that flow. It's because Atlanta falcons around us. Man naturally perk up and defenders. Anyways, man, thank you for our viewers and listeners out there. Wherever you pick up your podcast, make sure you give us a five star rating, a review, give us a follow, could subscribe, uh, and you comment, comment and what we're gonna do? Tell where we're going, Peanut, check us out.
Speaker 3: On our NFL YouTube channel.
Speaker 2: Yeah that thing, and uh you.
Speaker 4: Know, make sure you give us five star rating Apple Podcasts a radio app Thank you as always appreciated, Man Spoon.
Speaker 2: You were blessing brother. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Thank you man dude, you did not disappointment, not at all much. Appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Appreciate Peanut, Roman Spoon. This is the NFL Second Player's podcast, Lea Thank y'all
Speaker 2: By VAT by one Bump by Bup