Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass Podcast. Today is Tuesday, June thirteenth, and it was the first day of the Ravens Mandatory Mini camp. The Ravens got out there on the practice field today and we also had a chance to hear from head coach John Harbaugh and some key players, including wide receiver Odell Beckham Junior and defensive lineman Justin Mattabique. They talked with reporters before practice today and let's kick it off with head coach John Harbaugh.
Speaker 2: With Adel being here, what do you kind of expect those boys on his level space new times right?
Speaker 3: Well, you know he's going to be full go in terms of health and all that. But I also expect us to ramp up a lot of our guys. You know, we're going to see where guys are at. We're not going to be in a hurry to throw guys out there too much, too many reps. We want to get a feel for everything he's learning in the offense for the first time, just like a lot of guys have been. So I think it will be a kind of a see as we go go through individual, take a few reps and group and team and see how he and the other guys feel and we'll go from there.
Speaker 4: Tom, we saw going LCAs that Bit was doing individual and working up to the side of you expecting him.
Speaker 3: To be a part of the words, not expecting Bait to be a part of it. Right now. He had a shot, you know, for healing purposes, courtazone type deal, so that'll keep him out for a couple of days. So we just decided to just let him keep rehabbing and make sure he's ready to go for training camp.
Speaker 2: Coach taking Dolbin's being here, how do you see the potential of bringing the beds out of him under the Monkeys offense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great point. I think that is something that JK is excited about, Todd's excited about, we all are. It's going to be interesting how he fits in because Jk's got a lot of dynamic ability, you know, backfield motion, wide plays, inside plays, even the a gap plays that we've always run as a receiver on the back foot. I think he's got a lot of potential. So I'm very excited about JK and how he's going to fit in.
Speaker 4: Here's definitely go for a second.
Speaker 2: The heights of restarts and receive him coming back after you know, almost two years off. You know, just that is that add juice to the room, Is that add used to going on the field.
Speaker 3: For that well, I mean, you love great players and great people and guys who love football, you know. And the one thing I've seen about Odell, like all of our guys, is he loves football. And the other thing that we like his guys who want to be here, and he's very excited to be here. He wants to be here. So that combination is good. You know, any any football coach loves that. But he's a He's a highly decorated player, without question, has been in all the big battles, you know, over the years, he's he's worked really hard to get himself back to this point where he's you know, he's excited to go and he's I'm sure he's a little anxious and you know, anticipating getting back on the field for the first time. So you know, we're not going to go crazy out here, but I think it's a good first step for him. And of course we're excited that he's here. We're excited that all of our guys are here.
Speaker 2: You're ty Rosport, the camp yes, you know, Michael Pierce is someone you've seen throughout the spray, the football school, OTAs everything. You can put him back and we get to the hold if you booked, and what are your expectations for him considering you didn't have.
Speaker 3: Him very long last year before get right exactly, Michael Pierce has looked great. He's been here every day, He's worked extremely hard, moving very well. Think he's very determined, you know. I mean Michael was on a trajectory and then all of a sudden had a couple of injuries that sidetracked him the last few years. So I think he's very determined to kind of get back on track that way and have high expectations for him.
Speaker 2: What about Man d k coach, We're gonna be talking to him later.
Speaker 5: What are you looking for him? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I expect him to take off, you know, even to just really and I say take off, but kind of continue on the same track, take the next step as a player. I think he's gonna have a great year.
Speaker 6: John.
Speaker 4: I know it may not be two competition mode just yet, but he put the wide receivering room. It looks like this may be probably the most competitive one you've had in camp in a while, and are you excited just about the competition within that position.
Speaker 3: Where Yeah, I was looking at picture. Uh, actually it was in my basement.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Above I got this pool table. It's one of those old like pool room pool tables. You know, you got to put the coin in it, except now you don't have to put the coin in it, right, but you still gott to push the button. And above that is a picture of this. Jacobi Tory, Steve Smith are in there and we're like doing something to practice.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I thought that was a good group, right. This group rivals that group, you know, and it might be the best we'll see. I mean, that's up to that's up to them to determine that. But I'm very excited about those guys.
Speaker 2: A lot of stories over the last few months about guys around the league being investigated for gambling. Just just curious. What do you guys do to make sure that your players know what they can do and what they can do And doesn't worry you ever that maybe there are a few confusing points in there. It's hard for guys to know exactly.
Speaker 3: It does concern you that, you know, it's not always too clear. I mean, the clearest thing would be just stay away from it. But you know, guys are gonna be on vacation and they may they may play black jack or whatever. There is nothing wrong with that if they do that, if that's what they do. But it is very clear in terms of sports gambling, in terms of where you can be during the season, those kinds of things, in terms of not betting on football, you know, period, end of story. Uh, that's pretty darn clear. So I don't think it's that hard to figure out.
Speaker 5: Really.
Speaker 3: If you if you want to push it, then you're probably doing yourself a disservice, putting yourself at risk. And if you have any questions, you should ask before you get into anything. Right, So, I think the rules are fair and smart and good. And we spent a lot of time yesterday talking about it with the guys. Even Eric came down and talk to the guys about it. So our guys should understand what's going on talking about that specifically, talking about gambling specifically.
Speaker 5: Right, I think, is there anyone else that you would have for today, just.
Speaker 3: As you wish? Not that I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm probably forgetting somebody. If want to give me a name, I'll remember the guys though. Peppe's out, Jalen is going to do a CT and some individual Pepe he's gonna be out probably maybe even he tells me he's gonna be back to start training camp.
Speaker 5: We'll see.
Speaker 3: That's where he's at with his process.
Speaker 5: John Dell, you know, he does still kind of needed everything here in it. That's gonna be kind of your impression, because I mean everyone kind.
Speaker 7: Of has this these thoughts of Odell and they won't see him and think there's a certain image.
Speaker 5: What's kind of the in your impression of him.
Speaker 3: My impression of Odell Beckham has been nothing, but I love the guy. I mean, he's a pro. He's a he's a He's what you would expect from a world class athlete. It's a highly competitive guy. He wants to play at the highest level, on only the highest level. He's not interested in not playing and performing at the very highest level. From everything I've heard, he's a he's a big time practice player. Uh, everything I've seen, he's a big time trained, train himself guy. You know, workout guy, get ready to play. So you know, those are the things that you always respecting. I don't think you can perform at the level he's performed at or some of the guys. I think back to, uh trell Owens for instance. You know, we had him in Philadelphia. He came in all the hype and all this things. From the person I standpoint, nobody worked harder at practice, nobody worked hard in the weight room. The guy came to special teams meetings. I mean, he was into football, you know, so to be those kind of guys reached that level for a reason. And you know, he's in a place in his career where I think he feels like he has a lot to prove at this point, and I think he feels like he's gonna be the healthiest he's been in a few years. So let's go Jonavan.
Speaker 2: He said that you were getting sort of updates on the Hodell's training and he was out in what Arizona?
Speaker 5: Uh you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Was there anything about discuss just going to pop it out to you or anything that you saw that's like a man getting this guy or what does this he goes hard?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Not really. I mean it's hard to watch a video and see too much, but I trust him and I'm sure he's ready to go.
Speaker 2: Enough with the competition to ways, is the right, left, the bar is or any other position into the roles, and he kind of focused on the conceivingly with the competition.
Speaker 3: Leading in the main Toordan account, of course, I mean every position you focus on, and every position's got a different kind of a priority list to it. But you know, we'll be looking at the in the secondary. We'll be looking to kind of firm up our different roles back there, corner, inside and outside. That'll be something that'll be important our outside backers, you know young kind of plug those guys into their spots, see how they emerge. D Line certainly, you know what the rotations are gonna be. Offensive line you talked about already.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 6: You're excited about seeing how Lamar takes on a new freedom of calling plays at the line. Are changing plays and do that? Hobviously you trust him to do that.
Speaker 3: How do his responsibilities change and does his preparation change as.
Speaker 5: He takes on that? What might be more responsible?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean Lamar is always prepared really hard, like like like everybody. I mean, but it's it's gonna be a different type of preparation because it's gonna be different things he's gonna be responsible to be looking at. You know, it'll be a different different lens he's gonna be looking through. So in terms of the way the offense has been built, every offense is built a little differently, so he's looking at certain things that he'll be looking that he wasn't looking at before in a certain way. The way it's worded, the way Todd teaches it, the way the offensive coaches have put it together, will be his perspective on it. So I think he'll study differently. I do think it's gonna fit Lamar. I've told him that. We had a great talk about it yesterday. I think it's going to fit the way he sees the game really well, that's the hope. He feels that way right now. So now we just got to get to work and I'll let it rip and see what happens. Ye well, set great, Thank you guys.
Speaker 1: We also talked with wide receiver Odell Beckham Junior. He arrived in Baltimore this week from mandatory mini camp, and Odell was the big free agent acquisition for the team this offseason. He is going to be a key piece of this offense, and it was good to hear from him. And here's what he had to say in talking with reporters.
Speaker 3: First impressions, Odell be in here, not.
Speaker 5: Really the first, but you know, just happy to be back in the bill. Been away from the game a little bit of time, so it just feels good to finally be back here and you know, get things going.
Speaker 2: Well this practice field. I mean you've had a lot of practices in your choreatia. Uh will this practice be any different just because it's been a while since, you know, dead.
Speaker 5: The injury in this bowl be an apple on the field, I don't necessarily know.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 5: Just coming here with the mindset, you know, we're all professionals and just get back to having fun. You know, learn to playbook. You know, it's a lot there's still a lot of you know, things to do. So I think the focus is just you know, have fun, you know, stay locked in and be a pro.
Speaker 2: Hell, can you can you even develop some kind of chemistry this week doing what you're doing?
Speaker 4: What what are your goals in this mini camp?
Speaker 2: What do you want to get accomplished?
Speaker 5: Uh? I mean, you know, chemistry is is gonna develop over time, I think, Uh, I know, I'll be down in Florida trading with them. So Webplant is it's not something that you know, I'm worried about. You know, the most important thing is getting ready for a season coming up in September, and that's when we play. I think just being here, being around the guys, you know, being around your your brothers. Uh, just getting to know people. And you know, like I said, just be a pro. You guys.
Speaker 1: With it yet so you guys already have plans and place.
Speaker 5: After this to Yeah, yeah, we been talked about it all off season. We're supposed to catch some time in Asy, catch some time in Miami. But it's something that you know, it's not really uh, I think.
Speaker 6: What do you put your participation level of practice?
Speaker 5: If you ever after few days? I mean I don't know. I'm'ta have like a set play amount or a number that's in my head. I think it's just like I said, you come here, be a pro, You get your reps, get your work, you talk. You know, you don't have to always build chemistry so to say, by you know, taking reps. It could be you know, communication thing. How do you see it or uh? And then like I said, we have a whole off season or after this camp breaks to to really get it going.
Speaker 2: Posed to a real positive posted about your progress.
Speaker 5: Black Man's mother from your foot or if sheep me your knee? I'm sorry where I know you're focusing towards Week one?
Speaker 6: But where are you right now? Do you feel like to that elusive A hundred percent?
Speaker 5: Uh? I mean I don't know, I've a I've been asked this question all my career and I've never given a percent of number, cause then it you know, you say you're a hundred and then y, it just is not really a good question set up for me. So I'm just I'm where I'm at right now. Uh, it's still in my process and just trying to gear up and get ready for a week one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's safe to say that you feel good about where.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I feel good. It's it feels good to be able to get out of bed and not feel you know, pain. It feels good to feel like if I need to take off running right now, I could take off running, you know it. It it's it's been a a long journey this time around, and it was its own process, so I just had to take that for what it was.
Speaker 4: Oh damn, what's your familiarity with this offense? I know you've had a history with Tom markin. Is it a lot of similarities from the last time.
Speaker 5: You were with him? Yeah, I mean I was, it was a while ago, but it's all the same. Like football is all different verbage and languages. It was a foreign language. You just you know, readjusting to different words, but you know, conceptually there's a lot of things where you know, it might have been called here over there and it's called this over here. So just you know, familiarizing myself with the the offense to playbook everything. Like I said, the most important thing for me was just getting back to being healthy and the rest will always take care of yourself.
Speaker 1: You're how did a jersey get on the field today?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 6: Is that m emotional? Is that meaningful?
Speaker 5: I think it is. I think I I've been trying to you know, not think about it uh so much because there's been so many disappointments, and I just I've been in a good mental s mental headspace to where I've tried to downplay this, but I definitely think that I'll be excited to be able to put a Jersey On and you know, go out and and do the thing that you've done your whole life and uh what you love to do. So I'm excited about that.
Speaker 7: In Arizona for all of the teams, where would you say, like, when you you know, when you're doing all your you know, your routes and all that other stuff, are you thinking about your speed?
Speaker 4: Where do you think you.
Speaker 7: Are now at this point and where you w what you were trying to.
Speaker 6: Build to compared to when you were in Arizona.
Speaker 5: We're doing that.
Speaker 2: Workout for all those teams.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm definitely better. I got more time, you know. I it was feels like that was so long ago and I don't know exactly how far it was. But I feel good. Uh. Like I said, I don't have a number of a percentage or again, it's never really a a good answer for that cause it just feels like a set up, But uh, I feel good, feel healthy, speedwise, immunism definitely fast. Everything you're describing the getting acclimated here, you sound like, yeah, a great deal of patience for this process.
Speaker 6: How hard was that to kind of mentally.
Speaker 2: Build that patience given the last game we saw you and you were at the the sports highest level.
Speaker 5: Uh, it just was It's a process. You know, it's hard when you you get to the pinnacle of you know, the success in this sport and you felt like it was taken away from me. It wasn't something that was easy to live with. It was very hard to to go through that. And then you know, have surgery and your son be born four days after and just you know, so many mixed emotions uh uh that I've had to deal with over the years. But it kind of all gets put the rest, you know now, cause it's like you're here and I'm just excited about that opportunity and just trying to again keep gearing up to to when it's important, which is uh, you know, when you come back here at the end of July for camp and you're getting ready for the season, that's when it really matters. Not to say that anything else doesn't, but at the end of the day, you know, we could write all the stories in the world, but it it all comes down to what you do on the field during the season. How do you live back on the Super Bowl?
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously you have the championship ring forever, but you know, the step back you describing how do you get back?
Speaker 5: It sucks, you know, there's no way around it. It's literally, you know, you've dreamed of you know, I've watched plenty of Super Bowls and finally it was, you know, my opportunity, and I was so locked in. I remember my mom and my people were like, I've never seen you, you know, like that before a game, and I would just I could just feel it that day when I woke up, I knew that I was probably gonna be the best person on the field. I had been feeling it all week. And it just sucks, you know, I didn't get to live out that moment. It's not for the Instagram posts or nothing like that, Like this is really something I've dedicated my entire life to this game and this sport and just wanted to have that moment. But I told my I think it was my pops. I said, you know, God that already came to me. And he said, if I win the next time, showfully this year, you get an opportunity. He said, I know the champagne was better, but we'll make sure that it's probably the best use of taste. And that's probably in my mind. That's just how I keep the perspective is that hopefully I'll get another opportunity to do that. And you know, life happens to you, so you just got to keep rolling with the flow of it.
Speaker 2: And we live and we learned talk about how excited are you being part of someone like Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's, you know, one of the reasons why I signed here. You know, I've watched him for years. I watch him when he was at Louisville. So I don't know who's faster, you know, I don't know that answer to that question, but he's definitely we all know, one of the most electrifying players that we've seen at that position. Uh And you know, one of my favorite players growing up, I'm sure he always used to get the comparison was Mike Vick and he just he just has that he has that it to him. And I think I remember being in New York Saquon Barkley and seeing another guy put on cleats and you just know, like they're special people. So I got to make sure I stay on my blocks and not get busy, you know, watching him when he's doing his things. Sometimes, you know, we all we all want to see it. But I, like I said, I'm excited about that opportunity. I think that was a lot of the reason why I signed la Moore.
Speaker 2: Said that in this offense that he feels he's gonna be throwing more than running than ever before as a passer. What what he pressed you about, Lamore?
Speaker 5: And and what do you think as far as his his ceiling as for as just throwing the ball. I mean again, that's you know, perception versus reality. Always talk to you about that. And he's plays quarterback. You know, he's been throwing the ball all his life. And to watch him, you know, catch up your pass from earlier today, he's got a strong long like it. It gets up pointing fast. So I'm just excited about that. I know he wants to throw the ball. You know, I'll tell you this, I'll I'll take ten passes over ten runs all the time. So I'm all for it. You know, if we're if we're gonna air it out, that's that's fine with me. But uh, it's definitely about winning games. So whatever that takes. You know, I've been from passing to always running the ball that I've been Uh, I've been in the mix of both uh. Also went to LSU. You know, nothing against them, We we ran the ball a lot, So I played a lot of football. I know, you know the the balance of both.
Speaker 6: But I've still a lot about uh the wide receiver talent level in this season.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: John, And you said, just be contend with some of the.
Speaker 1: Best that they've had to get the uh uh over their history.
Speaker 5: What does that mean when you think to you, what does it mean to you?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 5: I think I've just been you know, you guys come up to you and it's like, oh, I remember watching you in middle school and it's like, you know, you start to it, start to give you that make you feel old kind of thing. And I just I think I know what my role will be as far as you know, coming out and and being able to show it every day and being able to theed and also feel like a good leader has to be a good follower. So just being able to be there for these guys, you know, questions that you need that I might have questions myself. So just you know, we we're all here to learn. And I'm excited about that room. There's a lot of talent in that room. There's gonna be a lot of competition for spots, so you know, we just gotta we gotta all work and work together and it it. It's definitely got a good feel in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sailor and the Orioles hat you all saw you at the pretense it it seems that you're kind of embracing the city, but you're how excited are you to.
Speaker 5: Be part of this community? You know? It's just y, I've heard a lot of great things about it. You know. Jamal McLain and I played together for you know, the last year he played in the Giants, and he just was telling me, He's like, you'll love it. Uh, you'll love the city. Probably don't get me in trouble now, but I'm not to say that I'm Oris fan. You know, I got a team home, but I'm excited. I wanna go to wanna go to a game and and just check it out, check out the atmosphere. It's just fully embracing exactly where I'm at now and where my feet are at. And I think that's something that I've learned over this process, is just being president and staying in the moment. You talked about the room.
Speaker 2: Babeman obviously a younger receiver, is coming back from an injury. You have a lot of experience with that. If if you guys talked about that, do you do your wisdom to to give him on that?
Speaker 5: Do you feel like, yeah, I definitely do. I know that it's never easy, but each injury's you know, usually different, But it's just about helping each other out with the mentality. And you know, when you come back from being injured, there's always that little bit of fear that you have to get over. You know, it's you don't want it to happen again or whatever. So we haven't. We haven't you know, talked about it as much in the room, but he was trying to me at Exos and you know, we chopped it up about it. So I think he's head in the right direction. I think we're all gearing up, getting ready, you know for the season.
Speaker 6: How do you confront that fear that you just talked about that?
Speaker 5: You know, for me, it was the very first time. I just remember just you just there's no really way except for the dive in. You know, there's no way to uh to go through it except to do it. So it just was Now I feel like after having surgery for the first time, Like the second time it came around, there really was no fear because it's like I've already I've already n I already know what I've been through, So just gotta do it, I guess, you know. But it's just a mentality.
Speaker 7: What hell Father's day.
Speaker 5: Is coming up?
Speaker 4: What's been your favorite thing about being Dad?
Speaker 5: Every every moment just watching you know, for his daily development and uh but speaking more, you know, Dad giving you love, like it just it's crazy to see your little human you know, grow up in front of your eyes. And I love every minute, every second of it. He's here with me now, so it's like, you know, you can't wait to you know, not to be done with work, but you can't wait to like go see him and be with him and just spend those moments and just really uh cherishing value that time with him. Oh do I knew you wouldn't be back?
Speaker 2: Once you knew you confident you could be back to the level that you wanna play at.
Speaker 3: Where does that confidence that'll come from?
Speaker 2: Cause he has having that time off, I'm sure some people might have spects.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I've been doubted all my life, so that's really you know, for the other people to do when it's their own you know, that's the that's what they got going on. That's not what I got going on. But yeah, the time off just allowed me to grow and learn, you know, because when it first happened, I just wasn't in the best of place to even think about playing football again. After I just you know, did that and got back on the horse, and then it happens at the you know, the worst moment, and if you think about it, it was it was the longest season for me ever because it made it to the Super Bowl. Also, had started training since last November consistently, so I was training, you know it. It was just a long season. I was at the end. I remember, you know, Cooper Cup and I looked at I looked at each other and I was like, I'm happy this is the last week cause I can't do another one. So the doubts is for whoever has them to have them. But that's not what enters my mind and my body. It's just something that I've carried myself with all my life. I know what I could do. I'm just excited about, you know. The It's still a process to get to August and then getting into the camp, so still got a lot of time, no like to do one more place. It looks like he had had a pretty fun offseason going to Monaco and your finals game.
Speaker 2: Do you do you enjoy though, getting back to you, like you said, the process of playing football?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's important to live life. You know, once you get here at the end of July, you're here until you know, hopefully February seventeenth, and you spend every single day with these people, your teammates, your brothers, more than your your family, and there is no time to go anywhere or do anything. And you know, when I get to, like an NBA Finals game and I'm sitting right there and I'm looking at Jamal Murray's, uh, the intensity he has in his eyes and knowing he has an opportunity to win a ring or you you see these guys like it's it's always motivating for me. It's cool to like enjoy the atmosphere of a game. But I really go to watch as an athlete, not like a a spectator, Like I really get motivated by watching my brother d book play, or watching Lebron play, watching KD, watching these guys who in their respective sport is the same mentality as I am, and it wanna be great. So that's always fun. You know. I love being able to get out the country what I can. It was the only trip that I really had so definitely excited about, you know, had had fun with that, but more excited about just it's finally getting close to tom to you know, be able to to line up in the stadium again, and I have to watch it from the TV.
Speaker 4: So oh deel real quickly.
Speaker 7: I was just wondering. Deodre Hopkins is also on his free agency tour as curious if you've had any exchange with him more suggestions and also to that end, do you think there is there anything to prove with a wide receiver going over the thirty year mark?
Speaker 5: Uh, thirty thirty or more? Oh no, I mean if you could play, you could play. I don't really think age is you know, more of a mindset. And that might just be me trying to you know, not get old, but that's just how I feel. It's just really a mindset. And you know, we we both were in Arizona and we were joking way before the draft even happened, you know about you know, possible big going here, and I don't know what happens from here. You know, that's not not really my call another GM or coach anything like that. But I do know that he was, you know, kind of craving to be able to play football again. You know, he had a shorter season last year as well. But he just don't know where he's going to end up. But I'm excited for him, excited to watch him again, and I think he can still ball from from what I seen when we were working out Wedell.
Speaker 1: Thank you. That was wide receiver Odell Beckham Junior. The big free agent acquisition that the Ravens made this offseason, and another key player for the team is Justin Mattabek. He is going into his fourth season. He came on really strong last year and the Ravens have high hopes for what he'll be able to do this season. And here's what he had to say, going into his fourth year and the final year of his rookie contract.
Speaker 6: Like him back man, after all that time off and now you look around the locker room and all these new editions of twenty twenty three, it's been good. It's been good to be back with the guys out in the Grassland football field. Just building that team caramaraderie and building the defense back together so we can set towards our goals for this upcoming year.
Speaker 2: So just did you look at this year?
Speaker 6: You know, coach Army just talking about how I think got high.
Speaker 5: Ups for you.
Speaker 1: It'spect me to continue on your your ejaculations.
Speaker 2: What are your expectations for yourself this year?
Speaker 6: Uh, just to keep working hard, just keep sharpening all my tools and stuff like that, and just keep learning, just keep being a better teammate, better player, stepping up on defense. And you know it's taking up one day at a time. You know, we have the ultimate goal as a team and we all know what that is. So just it starts.
Speaker 2: Now you're heading into the last year of your rookie build. Does that add any greater urgency for you? Or I mean I I I I know you've always you've always gone out at art, but is it does it? Does it change anything for you?
Speaker 6: You know er e everybody at this uh point of their career when their past three years, they definitely get to this year and you know you can make it a bigger deal than it is, or you can just put your head down and work hard, and I choose to pick that route. Every year's a big year, I feel like. So it doesn't change nothing. You just keep working hard, you keep even sharpening and getting closer to the details, and just try to be the best player you can be on off the field and for your teammates.
Speaker 2: Has there been any dialogue about an extension.
Speaker 3: Or anything like that for this point.
Speaker 6: Right R Right now, I'm not even focused on that, honestly, I'm just trying to just put my head down and work, you know, and uh, focus on the guys, focus on these new rookies and showing them the way, the way like Kala's will showed me the way you know what I'm saying, and pass that down. So you know, just tryna take a one day at the time, keep working hard and showing them how to work.
Speaker 5: Is it did? Is it a little different not having klais uh In in the room now? Yeah?
Speaker 6: A little, But he's real loud, you know what I'm saying, And he's a overveed, but you know he was. He show showed us a lot of great things, and uh, I definitely want to pass that forward and just you know, definitely be a a a l a leader by example, and when I feel like I need to say something, I'll say something thing. And you know, it's tryna work out every day cause we have ultimate god mind.
Speaker 5: Have you taken you know, more of a relationship role in the in the room now?
Speaker 6: I I I I think I would say so. A lot of young guys asks me questions and stuff like that. They like the way I work and stuff like that. They tell me that, so you know, I like to inform them about stuff that you know, I was informed of by older guys and stuff like that. So you know, just try to pass it down, but also try to work hard and try to can make sure that I'm leading by example and just doing the right things and just focusing on a little details more than everybody else. Yes, do you guys get the chance.
Speaker 2: To work with Chuck Smith if the past rush moves too like the outside guy?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we do, we do. Yeah, absolutely. I even work with Chuck even uh before he got here in Atlanta and uh so we had a relationship prior to him coming here. So when he came here as a team, I was like, oh, this is great. You know what I'm saying. We're gonna learn so much from you, so look at I'm I'm excited.
Speaker 5: What makes it so special? Since you working with him?
Speaker 6: He played in the league, He's been at our shoes, and uh, you know, he knows what it takes to get get to that quarterback. He knows what it takes to for the whole d line to be on the same accord so we can have a gre rush playing. And I feel like he's a great addition to our team. So I'm glad to have him here for real.
Speaker 5: You got a h a signature pass rush from here?
Speaker 6: Uh? Nah, not not not a signature yet. I'm still working on. But you know, definitely club rib That's what Chuck will be be preaching club rip, club break. Don't forget the rip. If you do a great pastors roof, he'll show it on film. It look good. But if you don't have a rip, he's gonna call you out on it. So he just focus on the little details, and that's what I love about him.
Speaker 5: How close did you watch the Lamar proceedings?
Speaker 6: Is best? See that what I'm down. How close did you watch the Lamar contract proceedings as past p Uh, Honestly, I didn't give it too much attention.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: Really, my family was like, are you all gonna sign him? You're gonna sound like I don't know what's going on. You know. I'm just focused on what I can control. That's that. That's my main thing. I try to focus on things that I can control and let the rest and let the chicks fall what they may. So I'm glad he's here and he's he's a great quarterback and we all love him as a teammate as a person. So yeah, and justin beyond this camp, cause there's a month of freedom. How do you look at that?
Speaker 5: What do you during it?
Speaker 6: And do you kind of get away from football completely?
Speaker 5: What's your approach?
Speaker 6: I say, definitely go tap in and see my family, but then after that, definitely get back to football. You know, campus around is around, the corner is gonna be here before we all know it. You know, football is our life, so we definitely take it seriously and we do money, keep grinding, but also take time to see your family and see how they're doing and stuff like that, and take care of your body and stuff like that. So that's when you.
Speaker 2: Said you put a focus on, uh, sharpening all of your tools as off seas thirty think that you kind of wanted to work on specifically you're hoping to show the season.
Speaker 6: Uh, I mean we're gonna sack celebration honestly, to be honest, huh, I don't know. I'm still working on I'm trying to get some ideas. I'll let you know soon though, So.
Speaker 5: All good, All right, thanks, no problem.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. That was defensive lineman Justin at a BK. You also had a chance to hear from Odell Beckham junior and head coach John Harbaugh. Now, if you want to get more information on everything happening during Ravens Mini Camp, go ahead and check out the Lounge podcast feed. We have interviews as well as analysis that's going to be coming up from this week, So go ahead subscribe to that feed as well. If you haven't done so already, leave a rating and a review here on the Ravens Press Pass podcast and make sure that you are subscribed. That's it for us today, but we're going to be back here tomorrow because there's more players, including quarterback Lamar Jackson, who's going to be talking with the media on Wednesday.