Speaker 1: I'm Tari's Mexi and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insider's podcast.
Speaker 2: This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 3: Search seventy six ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation law firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell. Welcome into this week's sixers and sixty, a live show from the Center in South Philadelphia. Prior to the seven hosting the Detroit Pistons. I'm Matt Murphy, our fanatic basketball insider. This week is none other than d Lineum, D how are you doing?
Speaker 1: Great?
Speaker 4: Beautiful day?
Speaker 5: Yeah, wrapping up the regular season.
Speaker 4: It's all good.
Speaker 3: Three home games for the Sixers to wrap up the regular season, and the rundown tonight includes a conversation towards the end of the show with Ricky Counsel, the fourth of player that you and I both know quite well as part of his two way contract between the Sixers and the Delaware Blue Coats this season. If anyone has missed our Sixers player and coach interviews throughout the season, you can search for the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast. There are a number of questionable players before this Pistons game on the Sixers side, but that is actually sort of good news in a way because some of them have been straight listed as out yeah for much of this season. So Anthony yeah, that we'll start there, because that was one of the updates a moment ago from coach Nick Nurse in his pregame media availability and de Anthony Melton, who he came back for a couple of games in February, but really he's been out for more than two months, like mid January. The Anthony Meltain he was a starter for this team.
Speaker 1: So it's good that.
Speaker 3: He was upgraded to questionable and as we speak right now, we don't know his status. Nick Nurse seemed pretty optimistic that if it's not tonight, it probably will be this week. I'm not speaking trying not to speak for him, but it's encouraging the way the tone that he was using. And what does that mean for the Sixers.
Speaker 5: Well, it's another perimeter defender for sure. I think though the last time he came back and correct me if I'm wrong, I think it only lasted two or three games.
Speaker 3: It was three three and in those games it was not more than about twenty minutes in any of them.
Speaker 5: And the back is, you know, it's a tough injury for people.
Speaker 4: And you mentioned that he is a starter for this team.
Speaker 5: I do not think that will be the role that he has when he comes back. But I think any perimeter defender, and I think he puts a lot of energy into that side of the ball, is just added depth that you're grateful to have. So I think Deannthony knows that his role will be different at this juncture, but I think that he will be a willing participant in whatever role.
Speaker 4: Nick Nurse asks of him.
Speaker 1: We know that he'll take threes.
Speaker 3: He's thirty six percent and he's played less than forty games this season. He's also a big reason why this Sixers team started out so hot on steels and deflections, but they.
Speaker 1: Have maintained that ranking.
Speaker 3: Have you seen Nick Nurse's imprint on that stylistically with the defense, because the Sixers for much of this year, if not all of it, have been first in steels per game, still first at eight and a half. And then deflections is sixteen point two, tied with Memphis here on April ninth, for the most deflections per game in the NBA, which we know has become a stable coaches really care about and in the Blue Coats and the Sixers too, but coaches really care about that number in Melton is only going to help them stay at the top.
Speaker 4: I think so. I think what it says.
Speaker 5: You know that they want to get in passing lanes, they use their length, and they have some guys that can do that. And then because you have a rim protector in Embiid, you can take a few more chances because he makes up for a lot of mistakes.
Speaker 4: If you don't get that deflection or that steal.
Speaker 3: It's such a simple concept to have your arms out on defense and or arms up. But right when Nick Nurse got here, everyone started, we all started hearing this language or this phrase Eagles, and that's what they call just spreading your your wings on the defensive end. And it's simple because they're professional players.
Speaker 1: But you'll fire some Matt. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You'll often hear the bench and the and their teammates yelling out Eagles, Eagles, and it just means have your arms out on defense. And that is something that you know they're reminded of on a regular basis. They are forty four and thirty five. I want to talk embiid MAXI, the Spurs game, all of that, but before we go there, just these standings in general. I mean, there's seven after the win over the Spurs to ump Miami for the time being, and obviously one through six they're in the playoffs guaranteed. The play in tournament is seven through ten. Seven gets the home game and the right to win that at home to get the official seven seed. But I've heard you on the Fanatic diving into the Eastern Conference and really explaining it. Well, so where is your mind at right now when it comes to the Sixers place in the Eastern Conference.
Speaker 5: So you don't have the tiebreaker with Indiana. And I know some people were like, who should I pull for yesterday between.
Speaker 4: Miami and Indiana.
Speaker 5: I think the right thing happened with Miami losing that game because I don't think you can just focus on trying to.
Speaker 4: Get the sixth seed.
Speaker 5: I think hosting the play in game on your home floor is absolutely important as well. So for them to knock Indiana out, they're gonna have that forty seven wins, which they can if they run the table. They've had a five game winning streak with three to play, so it would be an eight game winning streak and more important than that, Matt, even if Indiana ends up with forty seven and you lose that battle, but you end up with the seventh, you're heading into the postseason playing.
Speaker 4: Great basketball, and that to me matters.
Speaker 5: You got your guy back, you're winning, and people are afraid of you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So even above Indiana, things have the potential because Cleveland has dropped three in a row, down from three to five yep, and Orlando has shot up to three. That's who the Sixers will see on Friday night, but they have that tie breaker. So Orlando is one of the teams that technically the Sixers could still pass in the standings, even though they're up at number three right now. So maybe that is a young team that comes crashing down because they play the Bucks twice before the end.
Speaker 5: Well, right now, the Bucks are they're fulling on hard times there.
Speaker 4: They've lost four in a row.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you caught Doc Rivers pres conference the other day, man which one, Oh my goodness, right exactly, he's going through a tough time right now.
Speaker 1: And no one's going to catch Boston.
Speaker 3: And then obviously Sixers fans are hoping for probably the six for the extra week off, but the seven as well because you avoid the Boston side of the bracket.
Speaker 1: Seems like a pretty good thing.
Speaker 4: I think the root for.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But I mean you are correct, Like the Milwaukee I thought for the longest time was going to be the second seat. I mean that's not a given right now. So I mean you have Orlando a game back of them, and then the Knicks are tied with the Magic I didn't do a deep dive into that tiebreaker, and then you have the Calves only a half game out of those two who are sixteen. Thats so I think that on Sunday there could be movement that maybe a month ago you would not have anticipated.
Speaker 4: In the East.
Speaker 3: Sixers do have the lowest opponent winning percentage coming up for the remainder of their regular season, but some of it is a little out of their hands. Matt Murphy and d Line, I'm here on Sixers in sixty and we do have some news to report about this Pistons game. That both Kyle Lowry and Tyrese Maxey are out tonight. So Maxi had been on the injury report a couple of times, missed a couple games with the hip, but played through the hip a couple of times as well for fifty two points and he played fifty four minutes. So because of the left hip titan as he is out and Kyle Lowry left knee of fusion, they're just trying to get him right. And the two days coming up that are off before the Orlando game is something that Nick Nurse just referenced to us as well.
Speaker 1: But that puts a lot of pressure on the Sixers.
Speaker 4: Well, you might have your.
Speaker 5: Guy that you said as a starter, d Anthony Melton might go right back in there as a starter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so no official ruling yet on Melton as out, but he was questionable sometimes guys you know, are questionable all the way up until the starting lineup a half an hour before. But we do have word about Lowry and Maxie being out a special game for Tyrese.
Speaker 5: I'm guessing that then that would go if we go a couple back when Tyresee did not play, campaign was in that starting lineup, that there's a good chance that would be the case here today.
Speaker 3: He's played really well as a starter as well, and someone with playoff experience, which I want to get your X factor for the playoffs. In a moment before that, the fun double overtime game on Sunday against San Antonio. What were some of your takeaways from that?
Speaker 5: My first takeaway was that Tyrese Maxi was not going to let them lose that game, just flat out.
Speaker 4: I mean, he put them on his back.
Speaker 5: My other takeaways would be I thought Ricky Counsel in the second overtime was outstanding. kJ Martin in the first overtime gives you a couple of buckets. So to have guys that you've developed and come through in a moment like that, because really we're not talking about the sixth seed being possible today if they don't pull that game out out. So those two things stood out to me in particular. But Tyrese's play. This guy he's just so fun that he's so humble, and he's super super talented.
Speaker 3: One turnover in the fifty four minutes. I know that was, of course because of the two overtimes, a career high for minutes. He edged out his career high, scoring a fifty one with the fifty two.
Speaker 5: And I said, and I felt bad saying it in a report ahead. The only thing he didn't do well he didn't shoot the three ball. Yeah, he was two for ten, but nineteen of forty one from the floor, seven assists only the one turn in fifty four minutes?
Speaker 4: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: But it's still good to see him take the ten and make all the other drives and off angle of shots and things.
Speaker 4: It keeps the defender honest.
Speaker 3: Now, outside of Maxi and Joel Embiid, when it comes to looking ahead, who is a player doesn't even have to be a player, could be the coach who.
Speaker 1: That's my X factor, Nick Nurse.
Speaker 4: Nick Nurse is my Can I tell you why?
Speaker 5: Yes, Because I love the way his brain works. I love his creativity, and I always say to people the rotation shrinks in the postseason.
Speaker 4: I don't think so for Nick Nurse.
Speaker 5: I think that he will use matchups that are to his advantage. And I think even in listening to him last week when the OKC game, that he's scheming differently or trying things because he has not had the opportunity to see embid with Lowry. He talked about Lowry and what a great screenery is. He talked about Colin Lowry into his office and say, you know, hey, e Bead's playing tonight, and Lowry said to her, I don't know what to do with that dude.
Speaker 4: And then He's like, he's gonna be in this space. He's gonna be He's like, oh, like surge and Nick's like, yeah, like surge.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I just think Nick Nurse, I really enjoy watching the different things that he and his staff come up with, and I think we're gonna have We're gonna see some of that in the postseason.
Speaker 3: And a perfect example of going with maybe just a different option was Ricky Counsel the fourth not playing in the first three quarters against San Antonio and then not coming out from the fourth quarter through the overtime. So that's just another example.
Speaker 4: And I think Batoum is another one.
Speaker 1: Like you bound specialist.
Speaker 5: Yeah right, And I also think that he will flip if he thinks Batoomb gives him size that he needs in his starting lineup.
Speaker 4: He'll bring Kelly off the bench.
Speaker 5: But either one of the batom came off the bench a couple of games ago and played thirty minutes, and then he's been in there when somebody's been out, like a Maxi or Tobias. So I think the one thing Nick keeps everybody all hands on deck at all times.
Speaker 3: Well, the Sixers coaches and the head coach, Nick Nurse, will have to get creative ahead of this Pistons game without Lowry and Maxie available, they have been ruled out. We will hear from Lauren Roseen, the Sixers team reporter, next and Ricky Counsel, the fourth later in the show. But d line Um, our fanatic basketball insidner, thank.
Speaker 1: You so much.
Speaker 4: Absolutely always a pleasure.
Speaker 3: Mat More Sixers and sixty coming up on ninety seven to five the Fanatic, and we are back with more Sixers in sixty from the Center before Sixers Pistons. Matt Murphy now joined by Sixers team reporter Lauren Rosen, and we'll soon be joined by our pal Nick Stauskas as well. But Lauren, Hello, welcome to tonight's show.
Speaker 2: Matt Murphy. What's going on? Thrilled to be here last week of the regular season.
Speaker 3: I know you brought a lunchbox to the game tonight. That was a big pregame update, so I sure did listen.
Speaker 2: You're never too old for a lunchbox. Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: For the record, I voted yes, I would carry a lunchbox instead of having warm food.
Speaker 1: So there we go.
Speaker 3: That's that's what people tune in for Sixers coverage. You get lunchbox talk to producer tonight thanks to Matt Manarik, thanks to our engineer Marty Dickerson. The Sixers prior to the Pistons game at forty four and thirty five seven in the Eastern Conference, and let's bring in Nick Stauskas on the Comcast Business Hotline. Sixers with three games left in the regular season, and Nick Stauskas, they're playing the Pistons. So my first question is, I know you've done a lot of college basketball talk, could you con beat the Pistons? No, I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding, but I am. I am curious your thoughts on just the Since you obviously excelled at Michigan and played in the NBA and had a great career, So the difference is between college and pro ball. What are some of the biggest adjustments for players and in your case as well.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, first of all, let's give a shout out to the to the Yukon huskys man. What an absolute domination just clinic they put on over the last two seasons. We've never really seen anything like that, So, you know, hatch off to them. Well, to the same token, there's just no chance that a college team could beat an NBA team. And you just have to remember that every single player that is on an NBA roster was at one point, you know, the best player on their college team or one of the best players on their college team. So you know, to throw out that statement is a little.
Speaker 1: A little premature, but say that they would.
Speaker 7: No, no, well it's not you. I know, people in general have been talking about that, which is you know, I think it's a little, uh, it's a little premature, but hey, if stirs the stirs the pot, you get the conversation going. But I think for the Sixers right now, switching gears, you got three games less than the season. You got the Pistons tonight, and we talked about it all year, but it's just one of those time periods where, especially in seventh place, trying to get out of seventh and not have to play in the playing games, you got to win the easy ones. And not that any game in the NBA is easy, but you know, the Pistons are one of the more beatable teams, So it's one of those games that you've got to come in with a professional mindset and just handle your business.
Speaker 6: It's interesting, Nick Dawskis, and I wonder if you can relate to this, But speaking of college teams versus NBA teams, et cetera, the popular debate that I agree with you should be pretty null and void anytime you bring the NBA into it. But I sat down with Tyrese Maxey this weekend in Memphis for a long form interview that's available on the Sixers YouTube Channel course at Comparisons presented by Nerd Whallet, and Tyree's had an interesting nugget that he shared. I asked him what the peaks and valleys were of each season in his NBA career, and we talked about his rookie season.
Speaker 2: The valley he chose for.
Speaker 6: His rookie season was the first time that he was dressed for a basketball game that he did not play in. And Nick, the story that he told that I'm wondering if you can relate to, was the idea that on every team he had ever been on, he was the best player on the team, even at Kentucky when he might not have been the consensus best player on his team in that season, at any given time, there was never a time where he dressed and didn't play, And he talked about how hard that hit him to experience something like that for the first time as an NBA player, And then, of course you have to look at how much he's grown in the time, since I don't think there will ever be a time in the rest of Tyrese Maxie's career where he dresses and does not play, but it was interesting to hear him talk about the way that on every team growing up AAU middle school, high school, through college. To join a team where you're accustomed to playing every single time you put your uniform on, and then experience not playing for the first time. Stauskis, do you have similar memories?
Speaker 7: Oh, my goodness, very very similar memories. I had a coach my rookie year. He goes by the name of George Carl and he just did not like to play rookies very much. And you know, Kobe Carl is now his son, part of the Sixers organization, and Kobe was around us a lot kind of as like almost a practice player at that time, and I have a great relationship with him. But man, I just did not play at all. You know. I think the first five or six games that George Callet took over, I just DNP And that was a tough pod to swallow, and you know, just goes to show you that you could be great at the college level. But there is an adjustment period. And I'll go as far to say that as dominant as this Yukon team is, the guys that leave and go on and get drafted this year, you know, I would venture to say that none of them will go on and be starters their first year on what you know, whichever team they're on. It's just how the NBA is. There's so many good players worldwide. There's so much talent, and obviously when you're eighteen, nineteen, twenty years old competing against guys that have been doing this professionally for ten fifteen years, there's there's a little bit of a learning curve and you know, the physical jump as well that comes along with it. So they're all good experiences though, like you know, getting humbled early on in your career, like you know, I'm sure that moment for Tyrese was a moment where he's like, man, I got to get in the gym and work harder. And the guys that can use that as fuel to get better are the guys that tend to succeed in this league.
Speaker 3: Nick Dauskis, you talk about the Sixers potentially avoiding the play in tournament all together, and at face value, that means a top more time off before the playoffs. So if things break their way other teams lose, they win all three this week at home, there are a number of scenarios possible, but potentially heading into the playoffs with extra rest and an eight game winning streak would be quite nice. But how much given your NBA experience, how valuable would that time off be compared to playing Tuesday or Wednesday, potentially again Friday, and then entering the playoffs right after that? What are the pros and cons of that situation?
Speaker 1: The pros?
Speaker 7: Number one, you know, your best player is coming off of a surgery and coming off of a knee injury, so any rest period is something that will be more beneficial to the Sixers more than almost anyone else, just because of Joelle's health over the last couple of months.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 7: You could also make the point that you know, continuing that momentum of the winning streak and you know, being in rhythm in game shape could be a positive. You know, we've seen a number of times throughout the playoffs of you know, teams that sweep you know in the first round and then have to wait a week or two to play you know, the next round. You know, they sometimes look a little lax daisical after that time off. So you could argue in either way. But I think for the Sixers right now and just the season they've had, I think the time off would be huge for them, and also most importantly, just not risking, you know, losing that play in game and then and then having your season in jeopardy, having.
Speaker 3: Mb'd back Nick. What have you seen, what have you liked? What might be some challenges for you know, working a guy back in that is is the focal point of the whole thing.
Speaker 7: Well, you know what, let me start off by saying this, Matt, I was I was really flustered when Joell scored thirty points in twenty three minutes the other night and then had the audacity to say that he was he was playing sloppy out there as a guy that played six years in the NBA and never scoring thirty points. I found that comment to be very offensive by Joelle. So no, I mean, I think I think it's one of those things where you know, you just need to give it time. Obviously, he has, you know, the highest standards for himself, and we've all seen that when he's healthy and in a good rhythm, he's very arguably the best player in the entire world. So he's going to continue to hold himself to those standards. And I'm sure for him he maybe feels a little out of rhythm. But I mean I think it's you know, it's shown that in the limited you know time that he's been out there, he's still doesn't effect and obviously been a huge catalyst for the pictures beating some really good teams and finishing the season on a good winning streak. So, you know, for him, I think it's just the perfect balance right now of getting those reps, playing minutes, but also not exerting yourself and you know, risking any fatigue or reinjury in any kind of way as they head into the playoffs.
Speaker 3: I will say the Memphis scorekeepers gave Joel eight turnovers in that game, and he said he didn't think that he had that many. And Memphis is the place where Jaron Jackson's block shots were under investigation in recent years for maybe getting some extra ones in the official book. But I think he was upset because he knows he was didn't play a perfect game against the Grizzlies, and it was good that he got the rest because the result was in hand, But he didn't think he had that many turnovers, so I think that's what he was talking about. And then of course it's just in general just getting comfortable again with MAXI so with Tyrese Maxi and that Spurs game. What is and was your reaction to Maxie scoring a career high fifty two with only two three pointers, playing fifty four minutes and shooting nineteen of forty one from the field.
Speaker 7: Well, one, it's one of those It's one of those things with Maxi where you know, with him beat out, you love to see him take the initiative of taking forty one shots, like a lot of guys are uncomfortable doing something like that because it may come off as oh, you know, you're selfish, you're not passing your teammates. No, no, no, this team needs Tyres to be that guy, even sometimes when Joel is playing. They need him to be that guy. Just his you know, his aggressiveness going to the rim, the craftiness of his finishes, you know, kind of going up and under finishing around contact, through contact, high off the glass, floaters, you name it. His bag of tricks. Finishing at the rim has been something that's just, in my opinion, a little underrated. And you know, we know how fast he is, but man, his ability to get downhill to his right hand is something that just can't be stopped right now. And you know, He's playing with such confidence, and you know, I know all the teammates and coaches are, you know, giving him that confidence and encouraging him to continue being aggressive because in order for this team to be successful, they need that from him.
Speaker 3: Matt Murphy and Lauren Rosen joined by Nick stauskis and in real time before the Pistons Sixers game in Philadelphia. A positive development after earlier on our Sixers and Sixties show tonight, Kyle Lowry and Tyrese Maxi were ruled out for this game. D Anthony Melton will make his return and Lauren that could be a good candidate for a question that we went over with de Linum that we will pose to Nick Stauskas about X factors other than Embiid and Maxie for this team as they roll into the postseason. D Anthony Melton coming back it is great news for the Sixers. He hasn't played very much over the last two plus months of this season because of the back injury, So I'm not saying that would be my X factor pick, but thoughts on Melton's return and an X factor heading into the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Murph, Melton hasn't played well.
Speaker 6: He took He was away from January twelfth until February twenty third, and then he returned between the twenty third and twenty seventh. Has not played since February twenty seventh, but is available to return tonight. Joell and B to Tobias Hair has also made available against Detroit. You mentioned it Tyres Maxie and Kyle Lowry are out for this one, but you mentioned d Anthony Melton what he provides. There was a while where where the Sixers were improving defensively, making big strides defensively, and Nick Nurse gave them a ton of credit for doing so without perhaps three of, if not their three best defenders on the team in Joel and B, d Anthony Melton, and Robert Covington. Covington of course remains out, but d Anthony Melton returning perhaps your best on ball defender, one of the best defenders in the league at times, leading the league in deflections at times, and someone that's just challenged a lot of the best guards in the NBA when he's been available to so to be able to have a weapon like d Anthony Melton, who of course has scored in the twenties and thirties many times as well. Due to his three point shooting and the way he can work as a scorer. He brings a lot to this team on the bench, in the lineup, in the starting lineup, coming off the bench, in the locker room. He's someone that's pretty beloved by his teammates as well.
Speaker 2: So I know in that.
Speaker 6: Locker room right now, there are a lot of guys embracing him, really excited to welcome d Anthony Melton.
Speaker 2: Back into the fold.
Speaker 6: How he figures to enter the playoff rotation, that is up to Nick Nurse, but he's going to have sort of a good problem to have, right adding the Anthony Melton he's already added. Kyle Lowry. Kelly Ubre has been so excellent. Campaign hasn't missed in weeks, and.
Speaker 3: He's had good playoff games in recent years.
Speaker 6: He has had great games in the playoffs, Buddy healed. Of course, we're forgetting about in this whole conversation one of the best shooters to ever play for this team, right, so, sort of an embarrassment of riches for those last couple starting spots and first couple spots off the bench. As Nick Nurse decides who's gonna fit into each of these important games down the stretch into the playoffs.
Speaker 3: And I know it's been a little while since Kelly Ubray Junior has played in the playoffs, But why would you consider him an X fact?
Speaker 6: Yes, you asked me earlier who my X factor would be outside of Joel Embiid and Tyrese Maxey. And the reason that I chose Kelly Ubray Junior is because he is so excited to be playing in these games and to enter the playoffs with a competitive team. It's something that he said way back on media Day. Part of the calculus that went into his free agency and joining the seventy six ers was the opportunity to play for a team that was gonna compete for a championship, that was going to fight in and around the playoffs. That's something that he's been lacking, you mentioned since twenty eighteen. And this is someone who's proven himself to be a great scorer in this league. He's done so off the bench and in the starting lineup for the Sixers. After the Sixers win in Miami this past weekend, he talked about how much fun he's having shout out to play by play voice on television of the seventy six Ers Kate Scott and NBC Sports Philadelphia. She actually asked the question to Kelly Ubray Junior, how much fun are you having competing in all these meaningful games? And Kelly just lit up about how excited he is, not just for the playoffs, but for each of these games down the stretch. And then of course the Sixers go to Memphis, go to San Antonio, play a tough, gritty back to back in which Kelly figured to play a large role and did play a large.
Speaker 2: Role in those victories.
Speaker 6: So I'm looking forward to Kelly showing what he can do in the playoffs because of how much Kelly is looking forward to showing what he can do in the playoffs match.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of new faces on this year Sixers group as they wind down the regular season, and whoever the matchup is, whatever round we're talking, they're ready to go.
Speaker 1: They're looking forward to it.
Speaker 3: Nick Stauskas, who are you looking forward to seeing as an X factor?
Speaker 7: And why, Well, I don't want to be a copycat, but man, Kelly Ubre the way he's been playing recently, his last five games, just under twenty four games, he said sixteen threes over those five games, and again you mentioned the hunger that he has to and compete at that level in the playoffs. And I'll tell you a lot of guys in the league, I think they get a little disrespected when they put up numbers on a bad team and then people dismiss their talent or you know, competitiveness or whatever it might be. They they kind of dismissed it because, oh, you know, you did it on a non playoff team. And so for Kelly Lauren, as you mentioned, you know, making the decision in free agency to join the playoffs contender, like he's got to be licking at chops right now, just excited for this opportunity to be a part of something special and then also individually to prove himself and show what a valuable piece he is to this team. And you know, talk about playing some of your best basketball at the right time. You know, Sixers are going to need some big scoring games out of him, especially coming into the playoffs a teams really focusing on Joelle and Tyres on the scouting report.
Speaker 3: Nick Staskas, we always appreciate your time. Thank you for giving a to us on six Ers and sixty. We appreciate you man.
Speaker 1: Thanks thanks for having me on.
Speaker 7: I miss you guys and hope to see you soon.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, that's Nick Staskis on the Comcast Business Hotline. The NBA vent Lauren Rosen cool rendition of Here Come the Sixers just played. I don't know if people hear a little bit of that going, but some instrumental music going down we were about to hear from Ricky Counsel. The fourth came on in a big way in that Spurs game. You got a front row seat for it.
Speaker 6: What was your reaction, listen, I was so happy for Ricky Counsel the fourth. It's not often that you check into a game for the first time in the fourth quarter, mind you, twelve minutes max, and end up playing over twenty.
Speaker 2: Minutes in that game.
Speaker 6: And that, of course was because Ricky didn't check in til the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: Then he played both of.
Speaker 6: The team's two overtime periods, minutes that he earned on both ends of the floor. He said after the game that coach asked him to bring the energy in the fourth quarter. Sure enough, his name ended up on the white board in the fourth quarter checking in for.
Speaker 2: The first time. He mentioned, of course, that he had been traveling.
Speaker 6: Back and forth with the Blue Coats and the Sixers for the last week and a half. There's been tons of travel for the Sixers alone. Ricky Counsel, the fourth that's been playing for two teams at once. He said he was exhausted. He said he actually wasn't feeling great, but when his name was called, he wanted to make sure that he did exactly what he's done every time he's had an opportunity this season. Matt bring energy, bring defense, bring offense. We saw him bring some elite passing. I will tell a quick story that he shared with me in the locker room prior to tonight's Sixers Pistons matchup. He said that Joel Embiid came into the locker room and said that he was just one of three players that could make a pass like that in the NBA today, I'm gonna make everybody stick around for halftime to hear who the other two are. But to get that type of praise from Joel Embiid, who of course did not play in that game in San Antonio, the double overtime thriller that featured a career high performance from Tyrese Maxey for Ricky Counsel the Fourth to play such a pivotal role down the stretch three times, just awesome to see from a kid that works his tailoff, has done so all season, and was rewarded with some pretty cool happiness and good vibes from his teammates, coaches, et cetera. In the minutes and days that have followed since that win.
Speaker 3: Lauren Rosen, thank you so much, seventy six ers rookie Ricky Counsel the Fourth, and I sat down in late February and adjusting to the NBA is where we start right here.
Speaker 8: I mean, at times, I mean being a two way player, I've heard is probably the hardest job in NBA, just being down with the coach and then getting caught up. It can happen in a matter of hours, it can happen a day before. You just never know. It's been pretty smooth later because I've been with them pretty much the whole New year. But yeah, it can get tough at times, but you always gotta stay mentally ready and mentally prepare so you know it's been good though.
Speaker 3: And you eventually did get the game ball from Joel MBI. I know your guy it's for Quaveon Smith. You both you know, scored your first points, but I thought.
Speaker 9: I was going to get it that game. I don't want to go out and hit five threes in a row.
Speaker 3: So it's all good life of a two way contract player when you do have to scramble to pack in a moment like that.
Speaker 1: Is there a certain pair of.
Speaker 3: Shoes or something you need for the games that you're going to first to make sure you have regardless of anything else in the suitcase.
Speaker 9: Well, forget the clothes.
Speaker 8: I don't really be putting it all like that anyway for it to like walk through and stuff. But things I need my tooth brush, my lotion, things like that, My speaker and headphones and charger. That's the things I like. Yeah, let me put that in the bad first before I walk on and forget it. As far as shoes, like I said, I don't really trip too much on that. I might put my my Travis Scott's, the black ones go anything and then and.
Speaker 1: The game shoes might be taken care of.
Speaker 9: The not a game shoes. Yet they always take care of all that. So that's the easy part.
Speaker 3: This year with the Sixers, there's been all these high scoring games. I mean, Tyrese has two fifty point games, Joelle Embiid has a seventy point game against the Spurs. Has there been a favorite seventy six Ers memory, just watching your teammates or something that's happened so far this year that's been your favorite?
Speaker 9: The seventy point game. Light, that's that's crazy.
Speaker 8: I'm on a bench, like seeing sixty eight, sixty five, really even fifty on a when you look up at it, John, we're trying to see in that beside my name is crazy. But then when you saw seventy is light. That's insane. And then Reache's two fifty point games. I mean, I'm hype every game if y'all see it or not, but I mean those three for sure.
Speaker 3: If you could have a skill from one of your teammates on the court, what would you want to add to your game?
Speaker 8: Surprisingly, I would say melts, defensive sneakness, and instincts.
Speaker 3: Is there a skill or a hobby off the court that you want to not from a specific teammate, but something you would like to be able to do or learn away from the game of basketball? M all basketball all the time?
Speaker 8: Yeah, literally telling you I don't do too much outside of basketball, go straight on.
Speaker 3: I feel like your answer to this might be Turquavion because you guys travel a lot together, so maybe take him out of the equation. Who are you closest with on the Sixers team, Paul.
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 8: I mean, that's probably who I talked to the in Tyrese. It's been talking to him a lot more lately. I mean, like, like I said, I tell you all the time, I really stay out the way, like my job as a rookie do I need to do?
Speaker 9: Get out, stay out the way, don't do too much like.
Speaker 8: I mean, somebody want to take me under their wing, which I feel like Tyreson some of those guys have, so I wouldn't. I wouldn't really call this like outside friends, but you know and cool people.
Speaker 3: What was your favorite subject when you're in school? Gym class, gym class, least favorite, least favorite?
Speaker 8: Oh easy, chemistry. That was like the one science class. I was like, first of all, I'm not ever going to need this, and it was super hard, like.
Speaker 10: Crazy, you got through it. Actually, I actually got lucky. Our teacher just disappeared. Who was watching movies the rest of the year.
Speaker 8: That's funny because we didn't have to take the what's MC call the exam.
Speaker 3: I remember in a physics class, the whole project was to build a roller coaster throughout the whole semester, and then all of a sudden they were like, we're gonna let the seniors out graduate early or stop classes early before graduation. So that roller coaster project, if you did it, great. If you didn't do it yet, like you're good to go. And I was like sweating this roller coaster project for physics and we never had to do it.
Speaker 9: So lucky you out for both of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah we did.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've had any of these gifts yet, but like, what's your if you have one, a favorite gift that you've gotten for someone else, so like that you've thought for someone else, No, just in life, favorite gift that you've ever given to someone or received or received.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I was about to say I'm not a big gift giver yet maybe in the near future because I'm actually getting a little money now.
Speaker 9: Fairy gift I received may have to be this right here.
Speaker 4: Simple.
Speaker 8: It's a bracelet. My mom gave it to me on Christmas. We didn't really do gifts, gift of ch exchanging growing up. She gave it to me this Christmas and I never take it off except for games in practice. Every time I take it off, a kids of twice think about her and yeah, I love it. Never says Ricky four six is number sixteen.
Speaker 9: Simple,