Speaker 1: Loka Tota Radio is a radiophonic novela.
Speaker 2: Which is just a very extra way of saying a podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm fiosa fem.
Speaker 2: And I am Ma la Munjos. We're podcasting through another Trump election year. We've been podcasting through election years, a global pandemic, civic unrest, political controversies, the Me Too movement, the rise of TikTok, and we are still here. We're not done telling stories.
Speaker 1: We're still making podcasts. We're older, we're wiser, We're even podcasting through a new decade of our lives.
Speaker 2: Since twenty sixteen, we've been making Loka to Our Radio independently until we joined iHeartMedia's Michael Dura Network in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: From our Lips to your Ears, fall in love with Locata Radio like you never have before.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Season nine. Love that First Listen.
Speaker 1: O La La Loka Modes. Welcome to season nine of Look At Our Radio.
Speaker 2: I'm the Osa and I'm Mala Lok.
Speaker 1: I Thought Our Radio is a podcast dedicated to archiving our present and shifting the culture forward. You're tuning in to Capitoo Cento Squadro two O four.
Speaker 2: Last Time on Loca Radio, we interviewed London based Colombian singer Sophie Castillo. Tune into that interview. It's super fun stream Sophie's music. She's an incredible new talent. I just really enjoyed that episode.
Speaker 1: I really did. It's so fun interviewing new to US musicians and artists, and like when their music is just like the music we really like, you know, it's just like the perfect and not that we've ever interviewed artists that we don't like their music.
Speaker 2: We like, I hate that music, but you know what I.
Speaker 1: Mean, like it's it just hits even better.
Speaker 2: It's tickling the right part of the brain.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, so yeah, I hope that y'all listened. I hope that y'all love that interview as well.
Speaker 2: So today we're introducing a very very very new episode.
Speaker 1: Yes, we have been honestly playing with these segments, these segment names, these concepts since twenty sixteen. Literally we literally had a photo shoot to announce these segments. That's right, way back then.
Speaker 2: That is so right. I totally forgot about that photo shoot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the photos were beautiful and we just weren't ready. Time wasn't right. We were focusing on all the other things, and even when we signed with iHeart, we were like trying to bring these segments out into the world. But again I don't think it was the right time here, But here we are.
Speaker 2: Here we are, and these segments we're talking about way back when we thought, oh, we can bring in individual hosted segments Dyos a Vise and Malas Palabras as their own standalone moments within the look at radio podcasts multiverse. And so we brought you other segments. Right, We're things white women say, oh ya, lokas, we have like our latinas and politics, which is more than a segment, it's more like a series, a series. And so we have these individual segments that we've been wanting to tease out and we have finally done it. So this episode, we don't have an interview, we don't have a guest. It's each other. So Theosa is going to take the mic for half the episode, and I'm going to take the mic for the other half of the episode, and we're going to divide it up into the Yosa, Lisa and Malas Palabras. How exciting, so exciting, It's here, It's here.
Speaker 1: I hope that y'all love it.
Speaker 2: Me too. I hope you love it too, And if you don't, who cares. We're gonna keep doing it anyway, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I care, and I would love some feedback. Let us know what you liked about it, let us know what you want to see in these segments. I thrive off of the feedback, the constructive feedback.
Speaker 2: Constructive feedback, give us something we can work with, you know what I mean? Uh yeah, we always love to hear from our listeners. You know, leave us comments. Oh, not only leave us comments on Apple podcasts, but on Spotify specifically, you can respond to individual episodes.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that's a new feature that Spotify has rolled out in the past year. And it's not from what I've seen, our listeners tend to listen on Apple podcasts, but there are many of you that listen on Spotify, and I think it's such a fun feature where you can engage with the podcast and individual episodes. You can't do that on Apple podcasts. And so the listeners that listen on Spotify will respond to the episodes and give us their feedback. And I love that. I love that because the ig is not popping the way it used to be, where y'all used to like comment and tell us what you liked about the episode. Yeah, because we're just not living there anymore, like nobody really is, but we keep it active, right, and so to still have that engagement on the Spotify page for me is really gratifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my mom comments on the Spotify she does, she's in there, she's in there, and my mom is actually the inspiration for the subject of today's Malas Balabras segment, So more more from her up.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited to bring to you my new segment called theos Lisa Dyosa Lisse for the good Girl Ready to be Bad. I dedicate Dyosa Lisa to all of you in your so called villain era. Is it a villain era or are you just learning to set boundaries? Are you finally done people pleasing? Or maybe you're leaning more the Ablita than Dyosita these days. All reasons are valid.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: When I started thinking about this segment many many, many years ago, I wanted it to be a self care segment. That's what made sense to me back then. That's what made sense for me in my life. But now, what can I really teach you about self care. What I can speak to is my current understanding of myself and the journey that I've been on. As I sit with darkness and some grief today, I want to talk to you about an uncomfortable feeling rage. In the beginning of the year, I was dealing with many changes in my family. I was overwhelmed by them. I was really sad by them, and honestly, I had a nervous breakdown when my therapist recommended that I go to a rage room. I told her that does not feel natural to me, that doesn't feel good to me. That's not how I process my feelings. And she told me anger is not really an emotion that you access. Maybe you should try it. I looked into it, I thought about it, but ultimately I decided I was okay without it. I've developed all these tools over the years, and so I thought, let me try some of those, like my weekly therapy sessions, running, lifting weights, journaling, reading, hanging out with my friends, getting my nails done, rewatching all my comfort shows like Ugly Betty and Gilmore Girls, and of course, spending time with my dog. I've had my dog, da Heen since twenty fifteen, he's currently nine years old. We've been through so many milestones together, like living in Santa Barbara together, my senior year of undergrad, graduating from U SEE Santa Barbara, moving back to LA job transitions, a global pandemic, graduate school, getting married, and of course the daily stressers of life. In twenty twenty one, a new dog, Gusco, came into my family's life serendipitously. We were not looking to adopt another dog, but when my best friend Jackie sent me a picture of an adorable German shepherd puppy who needed a home, how could I say no. He was the cutest puppy with big wolf ears, sharp teeth, and a rambunctious personality. We bonded immediately. He became my new companion, a natural protector. He'd follow me around the house. My family would call him my shadow, but I would affectionately call him my chiclet. He laid by my side while I got ready, He laid outside the restroom door while I showered. He brought me his toys so I could play with him. He was just always around me. Du protector, my dad would say, and he was right, of course. I named Gusco after the city Gusco in Peru, but it's also a reference to the Disney movie The New Groove. And like many dog parents, Gusco was not his only name. I had so many nicknames for him, like Gusquito, big Papa, handsome boy, sweet boy. He was all of that and more. And when I got married and Fernando moved in with us, Guscoll quickly said, by Mom, I have a dad now, and they created their own bond without me. They spent many many days together. Since Fernando worked from home, Fernando would share everything with him. Any snacks he was having his oatmeal, slices of apples, whatever he was munching on, he would share with Gusco. And when Gusco chewed on something crunchy, a little crease on his forehead would form. It made him look so expressive. It was one of my favorite things about him. Goosgo was ninety seven pounds. He was a big boy and the only person who could handle him on walks was Fernando, so they shared all that time together too. In November of twenty twenty three, Gusgoll turned three years old, and like a good dog mom, I bought him presents, put a candle on a cookie and saying him Happy Birthday. I made a birthday promise to him on that day. I said, gousgo, we're gonna get it together. We're gonna get you a trainer so I can start walking you by myself. Next summer, we're going to go to the beach. I'm going to bring you on my runs. I envisioned a future where we'd be experiencing life together. It's no surprise that my entire life changed when Gusgoll suddenly died in the month of May. When he died, a piece of me died with him. I was inconsolable. I was devastated. I kept asking myself, how could this be real? How could this be my reality? And you know that phrase that people say, like wake me up from this nightmare. I had never viscerally felt that before. I sat in shock for days, unable to get out of bed. I sobbed, I wailed, I cried in ways I've never cried before. And then my shock transformed into anger. It transformed into rage. I was angry at everybody, at myself, at my family, even at Gusco. How could this happen? The tools that I had acquired over the years.
Speaker 2: No longer worked.
Speaker 1: I continued to meet with my therapist, I talked to friends. I took time off from work. But no book, TV show, or nail appointment could help me through this grief. Staying in bed wasn't helpful. I couldn't get myself to run. I couldn't do anything. But then I remembered the rage room, the rage room that I had resisted going to months before. So on a Thursday afternoon, four days after Gusco died, I went to Rage Ground in downtown LA. When I got there, I nervously waited for the employee to check me in. She gave me protective gear. She was really nice. I put on some forest green overalls, goggles, gloves.
Speaker 2: And a red helmet.
Speaker 1: She gave me a crate of empty bottles, beer bottles, wine bottles, glass bottles, you name it. Heavy metal music was playing, and she asked if I wanted her to change the music. But I thought the playlist was fitting. I mean, what music was I going to smash all these bottles to? Anyway? Bad Bunny didn't really fit the vibe here, you know, and I didn't want to associate a familiar song with this experience. When she closed the door for a split second, I thought, there's no way that I can do this. This feels so counterintuitive to who I am. I'm not destructive, I'm not an angry person.
Speaker 2: This is not me.
Speaker 1: But then I thought, maybe that's okay. Try the unexpected. Next. I picked my instrument, a black baseball bat. I smashed the glasses, I threw the bottles. I used my body in ways I never have before. I never thought that I'd be hurling a glass bottle at a wall, but here I was. I thought I would cry, I thought I would sob some more, but instead I felt a release, a release of the anger, the negative thoughts, the pain. I could still feel it, but at least it was leaving my It was a safe, contained way to get rid of the anger sitting inside of me. After I left, I wish I could say I felt better, but that's not true. I miss Gusco every day. I think about him daily, and this loss changed me. And as I sat with the anger and I sat with the rage and all the uncomfortable feelings, I realized, for me and for many of us, anger and rage are not emotions were encouraged to feel or even express, especially as women, especially as Latina's. Personally, in my family, I've been called in an ohona my whole life sian pret noches, my family would tell me. And this is why my therapist suggested the rage room in the first place. She said, take your anger seriously. Your anger hasn't been taken seriously before. What can you learn from it? I wasn't ready to learn from it then, but losing Cusco forced me to take my anger seriously as Latina, as a lot of us, we're taught to pray the pain away or do something productive with it. We alchemize our pain into lessons anecdotes and say things like something dramatic like that right, And we can be angry about the inner workings of our life, the drama in our families. Maybe we've experienced a big loss, or maybe we continue to process the ongoing pain of the world. There is so much to be enraged about. Of course, we should never use this anger to harm ourselves or those around us, but we shouldn't avoid it either. This week on Theosa Diisse, I encourage all of you to feel that emotion you've buried, because it will spill over into your life, Say hello to it, feel it, say goodbye.
Speaker 2: When you're ready, cover your ears. It's time for Malas ba Labras, a segment where I talk about and this is Malas Balabras Verse one, bad words for bad Girls. So this segment I've been teasing out for a few years now, and I haven't known exactly what I wanted to do with it, but I knew that I wanted Malas Balabras to be all about words, about how we use them, why we use them, and the art of the way that we string them together. And on today's segment in particular, I want to talk about the fact that there are so many words for women that we don't like. Now let me give you some context. Yesterday I hit the beat, I went roller skating, I smoked a little, I tanned, I did some writing, and while I'm out there skating, my mom calls me. And I love when my mom calls me because I never know what she's going to say. She is full of surprises. This lady is hilarious and she has a lot going on in her mind. So when she calls me, I know it's there's probably going to be a gem, there's probably going to be something good, and I was out there seeking inspiration for this particular segment for Malas Palabras. So it's beach season in La. It's ninety degrees, it's hot and sunny, the skies are blue, the beach is packed, and my skates are on right. I get this call from my mom and she starts telling me about a movie that she saw recently in which one of the main protagonists doesn't like her daughter in law or her mother in law. I'll go a see. I don't know the movie. I don't remember the exact details, but what stuck out to my mom was that this protagonist had a really harsh phrase that she used to describe her daughter in law, who she absolutely does not like in this movie. So my mom's telling me about it, and she says, yeah, this lady uses the word the term vieha leprosa to mean like an old lady with leprosy to describe her daughter in law, like very mean, very biting, and like where did she come up with that? That's terrible? And so my mom says, isn't that terrible? Via lebrosa, that's my new word. I'm going to use that to describe a woman I don't like. And I'm like, Mom, honestly, you have so many words for women that you don't like. Do we need more? Like, do we really need more? You have like a thesaurs full, a library full. And she starts laughing because it's so true. She is my first teacher, right like our mothers are our first teachers. And one of the things that I have learned from her is this very I have this vast vocabulary of terms, mostly in Spanish, to describe in very biting, vicious, mean, but kind of poetic ways to describe women that we don't like, and for a lot of different reasons, because we don't like the way they look, the way they talk, the way they dress, the way they act, the way they move. And I know that we are not the only ones because I texted Theosa and I said, you're not going to believe what my mom just said to me viaheleprosa from this movie, and she loves it and she's going to incorporate it into her lexicon. And my mom is sometimes so mean to women, especially on TV, and there's always like, oh, she looks so old and she's mugrosa and this spnavan, this, that and the other, and theosa's like, oh my god, my mom too. And I know that listeners out there especially are Latinas. I know you guys have moms and theas who are just are just cutting with their descriptions of other women sometimes and the way that we critique and really criticize women, especially women on the screen, or women that we don't know, or women that we don't like, or women that we want to be shady towards. So there's like all these words, right, and I want to go down the list and talk about some of them. So of course, my mom's favorite, and she would tell you this if you met her. Her favorite term to really like talk shit about somebody is vieh he gondanada. Now, of course, if you call anybody vieha already starting off, you're really going there. You're calling them old, You're calling them an old lady. And in the culture, it just there's just something to that. And it's also funny because vieha can also be like a term of endearment, like a man might refer to his girlfriend or his wife as his vieha, his vahita. Right, So, but when women use it towards other women, unless you're actually talking about a little old lady, unless she's actually a yahita, which then it's like, oh, that's cute and that's you know, comforting, and that's a kind word. But if it's like a middle aged woman, if it's a younger woman and you call her via ha anything, right, we're really getting to the insult here. So via he Gondanada, I think is so funny because gondanada kind of means like condemned, doomed, damned, cursed, So you're calling somebody like a condemned old woman, a curse, a cursed old woman, which I think is kind of hilarious. Now I want to I want to say I'm not advocating for us to go around calling each other via Helebrosa and viahe gond Nada and mugros and all this stuff, but we do it anyways. It already happens. I'm just analyzing and speaking on this mean streak that we have in the community. But I also want to talk about the art of it, because these words are kind of funny and they roll off the tongue and they're very dramatic, and we've seen them definitely in our novelas and in movies and in TV. And this is something that I actually think cuts across a lot of cultures. And this is not just like a LATINX thing, right, but let's go back to vehic on Danada, because there's more words. There's like classic words, Like one of our favorites is chuankluda, which is sort of you know, if you're chunk lula, that's like how you are in the house. You're in your chunk glass. You're just no bra hair's not done, you're just bopping around. You're not expecting company. You don't want anyone to see you. If you go out chunk luda, you know, you're you're taking your inside look outside for the world to see. And there's also like this Spanada, right, Okay, your hair's not done, you're not put together, you don't have your makeup on your clothes, a renkled like this Spanada, you're just you're not put together. Bruta is a good one. That's a strong one, and that can mean sort of like gross or like a brute. And then I love how you can combine the words so you could you you could be unabi ahead chunk luda una by ahead that spannada unabiyah bruta. Right, we can add it to the list and you could just mix and match in all these different ways. So there really is a sort of art form to this. So there's like those appearance and like hygiene based insults, and then there's also these sort of like behaviorally these behavioral based insults. For example, a classic one of our favorites, buta right, And this is where the slug shaming comes in, so like a bouta, you're a whore, you're a slut, you know, you're a skank. There's also zorra, which is kind of like a bitch. And I've been called a zora before, and I had never heard that term. I had to look it up because and I was like, wait, what are they calling me right now? And I kind of like that one because it feels a little old school to me, or maybe it's like just not a term that is used so much like where I'm coming from in my context. But then again, like we can do some combinations here. You could be and I think that that's hilarious. I think that's great. And again I'm not saying like, oh, it's good that we call each other these things. Obviously, this cultural tendency that we have to use the slut shamy agis sexist whatever terminology to degrade one another is a symptom of the patriarchy and machismo and marinismo and all these things. But it also sort of reminds me of like reading and shade and that scene in Paris is Burning where the main protagonists are describing the roots and the uses of shade and reading, and so it's a way of like insulting each other, but you're doing it very poetically and accurately, and you're like demonstrating what a wordsmith you are. And I see that, like there's something to that with like our moms and ar theas and us and the way we insult one another in really creative ways. So this, I think sort of mean streak among women and girls and talking shit about one another is it's not relegated to latinas. It's not relegated to black trans women or the ballroom scene such as is demonstrated in Paris is Burning or in Pose right. This is also a cross culture and race, and we see this in pop culture. So some of my favorite movies and some of the most quotable scenes are movies that include strong female characters. Sometimes they're pitted against each other, sometimes their enemies, and they're going at it and they're insulting each other and they're talking shit and they're in verbal warfare. But those are some of the most quotable moments and some of the most iconic characters, and those scenes that live in your mind rent free. So as much as it's like negative, it's also like such a big part of our presence and the writing behind a lot of women in film and television, And so I think that there's something there that we can at once like celebrate kind of, but then also unpack and analyze further while also saying like, hey, you know, they're not like beating each other up. They're just saying mean shit to one another. And maybe there's like some level here where there's a form of accountability being practiced, or it's like an attempt of accountability, Like for example, in My Best Friend's Wedding, Julia Roberts plays Jules right, and she is trying to break up the wedding between her best friend played by Dylan McDermott. I hope I said the right one because I always confuse him with the other one who has a similar name and looks similar. But Dylan McDermott is Michael and he is engaged to Kimmy played by Cameron Diaz, and Julia roberts character Jules is trying to break up their wedding because Dylan McDermott's character Michael is her best friend. She kisses him. Kimmy, played by Cameron Diaz, sees them kissing. There's a chase. They end up at the train station. Julia Roberts finds Cameron Diaz in the bathroom. They try and they like kind of duke it out, and there's this moment where Kimmy, this is one of my favorite scenes of cinema. Kimmy says to Julia Roberts, You're a two faced, big haired food critic, and everybody in the bathroom's like ooh, like like got her. And it's so funny because you know, those that string of words together, and the way that the punchline and the worst part of that that drag was calling out Julia Roberts her character for being a food critic is just so funny to me. And then I think about like clueless there's the classic like you're a virgin who can't drive, Like that's great, Like how awful to be called a virgin who can't drive when you're trying to like win an argument. I mean, you're done, you're obliterated. It's mean, but it's also poetic. So I don't know. I just in this segment in Malas Baalabras, I want to explore language, the way that we use it, the way that we weaponize it, but the way that it's part of our culture. It's part of our the way we relate to one another. It's it's in the movies that we watch, it's in the songs that we listen to. It's in the communication between us and our mothers and artheas and our friends. And I don't know. I don't recommend calling people mean names. I think that when you hear it happening, and you hear us talking to each other in these ways where we're pointing out things I don't like about you. I don't like the way you are, the way you act, the way you dress, the way you look. So I'm gonna let you know by calling you unabiyahpudrida. You know what I mean? I don't know. Let's just pause and think about it and where is it coming from. But if it's really good and really funny, I think we can also appreciate the burn. So this has been my first verse, my first segment of Malas Balabras bad words for bad girls. Thank you for listening, Okay, lookam what as?
Speaker 1: We hope you enjoyed our two new segments. Let us know what you think.
Speaker 2: We thrive. Feedback, yes, send us a little note on Spotify, like directly to this episode.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll catch you next time, bes us. Look at a Radio is executive produced by Viosa Fem and Mala Munios.
Speaker 2: Stephanie Franco is our producer.
Speaker 1: Story editing by Me Viosa.
Speaker 2: Creative direction by me Mala.
Speaker 1: Look At Radio is a part of iHeartRadio's Michael Dura podcast network.
Speaker 2: You can listen to look at Radio on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Leave us a review and share with your prima or share with your homegirl.
Speaker 2: And thank you to our loc a. Morees to