Speaker 1: Uh, they expected to be in this position where they had to develop them. But I don't know if they expected him to be maybe at this stage of things in May.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, another starting pitching injury.
Speaker 3: For the last Let's ask Fabian shop Pete Roseby in the Hall of Fame. Let's ask him boom. But then we'll go to the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Okay, Bobby and our diet joining us, by the way, covers the Dodgers for the athletic But yeah, go ahead, Bobby on what do you think?
Speaker 1: I think? I agree with you, Guys's that's a kind of a bad precedent, just sort of what There's a lot of unintended consequences that have probably come from this decision, and I guess we'll see how they play out of the next couple of decades.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. See do you think he gets voted in?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: It depends. I think it depends on who's on the committee. Everything like that. I think it always depends on who's on the committee when it comes to these kind of votes. Posts the writer's vote, So that is true.
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Are there people that were former teammates played against them? Stuff like that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Wasn't the famous one Harold Baines.
Speaker 3: Car Old Baines got in because Jerry Ryanser and Tony Larissa run at like a five person committee and they were two of the votes or whatever it was, and they kind of were like, we're not leaving till Harold gets in.
Speaker 6: That was a story. I don't know if it's true.
Speaker 3: I love Harold Hall of Famer is he is a Hall of Famer, so he must be one. But that is a famous story that they basically locked everybody in the rooms like we're not leaving to you vote yes on Harold.
Speaker 2: And that's fine, but then there are a lot of other players that would like to be reconsidered us.
Speaker 4: Yes, all right, let's dive into the Dodgers, Fabian, What is going on with the starting rotation now that Roki Sazaki hits the shelf with a shoulder impingement.
Speaker 2: Are they running out of starters in May?
Speaker 1: It certainly kind of feels like it. I think they've They've already had to run a couple of bullpen games. They have another one schedule for Thursday. Some of this obviously was kind of by design. When you kind of mapped out how this rotation would look, you knew that there's be a lot of flux. You knew that guys were gonna go down, guys werena come off the injured list, everything like that. But like, yeah, obviously to have this big e of pitching injuries this quickly, I don't think Angwin has paid that. I don't think Angwins paid having Tyle Glass Now, am Blake Snell, and Roki Sasaki all down.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And obviously they're gonna get some help soon. Clinton Kershaw's gonna come off the i L on Saturday. But this is not a position the Dodgers were hoping to be in in the second week in May.
Speaker 7: Are we supposed to one hundred percent believe that every il stint for Dodgers pitchers is the same il stint that it is for other teams? I know, it's kind of turned into that, like glass Now's actually, you know, his is extended more kind of happened last year where he stayed on the aisle longer. Smells has extended longer. But we think we know Sasaki is not going to throw one hundred and fifty innings this year. So do we just one hundred percent believe that all of these injuries are like, yes, one hundred percent, Like this is definitely iel worthy.
Speaker 1: I think the Dodgers are more willing to air on the side of caution with guys than maybe most teams are, just because of the position that they're in, Like they can afford to play the long game with a lot these guys. I know that Dave Roberts kind of used that phrase a lot when especially when it comes to Blake Snell, because they understand they didn't sign him to get him through July or through August. They signed him for October. Same thing with Glass. Now they're willing to sort of kick the can. If you're feeling anything, you're gonna go on the il and probably for an extent of time, just to make sure that everything gets rued out and sort of to Sasaki, Yeah, absolutely, I think this was honestly comes probably at a good time also, just for them to sort of give him a breather, give him a reset, give him a chance to work with their development staff and rework the mechanics, rework the delivery, get him into a place where he can be effective on a big league mound. Because we were seeing obviously the loss, he was trending down and I'm sure the shoulder had something to do with that, but also just the rest of the arsenal was not in a good place and he was getting hit hard as a result. So a chance to get up, breather, a chance to maybe have a minor league extent without being a minor league stint or essentially the extendant Arizona work with your guys, like I think, it's a chance for a reset in a sense for him and also for certain guys, it's a chance to like get have a breather, managed things, load manage your way kind of through a season, which the Dodgers are in the unit position to be able to do.
Speaker 6: Fobbian.
Speaker 3: Didn't they know this though going in with Rokie. Wasn't this a thing with him that they knew? So why why now? Well, I mean, I know he's he's hurt, but why now? And by the way, the Dodgers are leading the league in shoulders this year. Before it was elbows, now it's shoulders. So you said that he gets to go to his development, Well, I don't know. There's a lot of arm injuries, and the Dodgers even came out of the spring and said, hey, we need to look at it.
Speaker 6: But for Rokie.
Speaker 3: I know his velo is down, his velo was down last year. How worried how worried then that he might not bounce back from this.
Speaker 1: I think they should be at least somewhat worried, especially because this was a shoulder issue he was dealing with last year too, So like, is this a chronic thing? Is this the thing that could be corrected? Is this something that the way he throws it's going to lead him to shoulder issues and the veloss he's not going to get back to where it is. Yeah, there's absolutely some concern, which I think especially when you're looking at the velocity, especially because that fastball relies so much more on the velosity than maybe your average fastball, just because of the characteristics and everything like that. So yeah, they have to get the shoulder right first. But yeah, I mean I think they didn't. They expected to be in a position where they had to develop him, But I don't know if they expected him to be maybe at this stage of things in May. I think they were hoping to maybe work with them on the third pitch, that the velocity would be maybe ninety eight to one hundred as opposed to ninety four to ninety six, and all of a sudden, you're looking at different issues, Like I don't think they expected the command to be as poor as it has been to start this season, So obviously there's a huge adjustment coming to major League Baseball. They kind of learned that with the Kushenobiyam motor last year. But yeah, Modor was able to make those adjustments that much more quickly because he had an established track record in Japan. He was twenty five years old, a three time Sawumora Award winner Rooki Saki didn't pitch a whole lot in Japan, so there's a lot of development on that end of the things that they hadn't do before even adjusting to Major League Baseball. So yeah, I think there's more of a learning curve than maybe the Dodgers originally anticipated. But they have to sort of use this time to kind of first get them healthy and then figure out exactly what they can get done this season and what Hasket pushed forward to the future.
Speaker 4: Hey ft fam, Hello Fresh as America's number one meal kit cam. Because we're busy and we would like all of the ingredients to cook up something nice and make us look like elite chefs at home.
Speaker 6: You know what I do.
Speaker 5: I've got kids in basketball, I've got soccer, I've got I've got baseball. And when they get home, there's a fresh meal and they think, oh, Dad, he's so great.
Speaker 2: Well, no, it's not me.
Speaker 6: It's Hello Fresh.
Speaker 5: It's nutritious, it's packed full of good nutrients. The kids have good energy, and they look at me like I'm the greatest dad in the world. So make sure you go grab that Hello Fresh, because you know what is doing my family?
Speaker 6: All the good.
Speaker 4: Cook up dishes like chicken dijon and pecan crusted trout, over one hundred seasonal snacks, sides and treats as well. Feel great with meals that fit your spring schedule make the season even more delicious. Go to HelloFresh dot com slash ft ten FM now to get ten free meals with a free item for life one per box with active subscription. Free meals apply to discount on first box new subscribers only. Varies by a plan.
Speaker 7: Is there a chance they optioned him to triple A because after he comes back.
Speaker 1: It doesn't sound like it. It sounds like they've been pretty said fast, like it's going to be in the big leagues. But I do wonder if there's a part of them that sort of maybe kicks the can down the road when it comes to the recovery. The il stint given some time maybe in Arizona, given some time in lower pressure environments to kind of work through through some things, and that gives them some time maybe to see who's healthy, who's in the rotation. How does Clayton Kurshaut look, How does emmitts she and look once he gets back on the rotation. How does Blake Snell or Tyler Glass now look once they hopefully get back in the rotation. So give them a chance to see who's pitching well and when, and then they can sort of make that determination. But I mean, Dave Roberts said it last weekend when he was struggling. He said last night when he went on the Ale, he doesn't anticipate rokiy Saki going into minor leagues at any point in terms of being officially options. I wonder if there's a way that maybe the finagle it when it comes to being on the isle, going through a rehab as simon an extended one. But yeah, it doesn't sound like he's officially gonna be optioned at any point.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's run through some of these names, by the way, Gavin Stone, Bruser, ground Rall, Michael Grove, Edgardo Enriquez, Blake Trin and Emma Chien, Tommy Edmund, Kyle, Hurt, River, Ryant, the Oscar Hernandez, Tyler, Glassnell, Blake Snell, Michael Kopek, Jake Giloff, Clayton Kershaw, Roki Sazaki. That's the list of people on the isle currently for the Los Angeles Dodgers. Most teams would fold under this. The Dodgers were playing better. It's amazing to me. So let's get a little good news. Clayton Kershaw is coming back this weekend. What can we expect from old Kersh? I know he was throwing like a eighty seven miles an hour, which velossity never was his thing. I mean he always it was mid nineties, but it was all about a slider and a curveball. What can the Dodgers expect when kursh comes back.
Speaker 1: I think they're expecting him to pitch like Clayton Kershaw. I think that's the thing. Like he looked pretty good coming off shoulder surgery last year until Obviously that last outing where the toe really kind of gave way, that's what kind of take the numbers, But he looked like vintage Clayton Kershaw. Obviously the velosity is not going to be what it has been, but like the command is really good. He's able to pitch that slider off the fastball effectively, and the shoulder feels good. He's sort of said that throughout this process, like the arm has felt so good. That's why he wanted was willing to get the knee and the toe surgeries to keep pitching, just because of how good the arm felt. And as long as that's the case, Like he's the guy who, I know it's kind of a cliche to say, but like he just knows how to pitch. I've seen the guy with half a shoulder sort of go through an outing and be able to sort of pitch effectively and go deep in the game. So he's the guy who is a stabilizer as long as he's out there on the mound. Obviously being out there on the mountain has been more of the issue the last few years, but I think as long as he's able to be in there, like he's gonna be kind of an important piece for the Dodgers to just get through the summer and we'll see sort of where things stand when guys get healthy. But he's a guy who's gonna help you get through a season at the rey least and be you know exactly what you're gonna get. And obviously he has some milestones in front of him. It's gonna be an interesting few stretch of starts for him. Billy, I think I'm expecting me to pitch pretty well.
Speaker 6: Actually, I mean, Kershaw has never not pitched well.
Speaker 7: Like you just looked down his page and it's just two and a half ears for life. But is there a chance he stays on a five day rotation because of the fact that before it was you had a Friday night starter, then you had a Saturday night starter, and guys were kind of on like a six or seven day rotation. Does Kershaw want to come back or does Dave robertson the Dodgers want to put him on his traditional five day rotation.
Speaker 1: I think a little bit of maybe pitching on a five day rotation, pitching on six day rotation, everything like that. Like, obviously this first start is going to be on five days worth of rest. He's kind of cleon Krishause kind of acquiesced a little bit to that in a little bit in recent years. There was a stretch obviously when the shoulder was going that he would pitch once a week. So like, obviously they're in a position where they kind of have to make do with the starters that they have. There's not gonna be as many off days as there were in April, as we just saw that ten game road trip where they kind of had to adjust guys pitching schedules, including Yoshinovayamodo and Rokie Susaki. Young Motor is probably gonna be pitching more frequently on five days rest than maybe he was beginning of the season when he's usually on six days of rest. That's something he did a lot last year. So I think there's gonna be transitioned more to I don't know if it's a traditional every five day turn, but like at least something that helps you get through this part of the season. And obviously we'll see how things look probably after they all start break once Shoeo Tani's back, because that's a guy who maybe opens the door for you to have a six man rotation. Just because of what he does in terms of your numbers and how many pitchers you're allowed to have because of the two way player role. So Clayton Kershaw, I think at least the start would probably be bouncing between maybe a five day turn or a six day turn.
Speaker 3: Okay, how important is you own moto now? I mean, he's like the most important player on this team all of a sudden, right, because he's the one guy that goes out every fifth day and just shoves Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's been their best pitcher this season, I think, one of the best pitchers in the National League, and he's incredibly important. We've seen him be basically the kind of guy he was in Japan, the kind of guy who got the richest contract ever for a pitcher, and this is exactly what the Dodgers are kind of hoping he'd be. Obviously, coming off the shoulder last year, I'm sure there was some trepidation, like, all right, how is this gonna look, how is he gonna hold up? And everything's all indications have been He's held up great, he's looked great, he's looked even better. And it's not necessarily like a thing where like the velocities up or anything like that. But he's just found a way to make all of his pictures that much sharper. The way he's attacking hitters, who's a lot more confidence. Uh, the command has been really sharp. But he has been incredible for them, and he is the most important picture on the staff right now. He is the staff ace that they kind of paid him to be.
Speaker 3: Makes sense, makes sense. Before we let you go by the way, I see your helmet behind you. I'll take your and raise you one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, go devils. I went to a su I see that.
Speaker 3: I saw that behind you. This is the Pat Tillman. Oh, I love that with the people that died. So yeah, I saw yours behind you, so figured i'd pull out one of my helmets. That's nice, that's super cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is the digital camo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crats right, digital camera?
Speaker 6: Did you camo? Yeah? Did you cam? Slick looking helmet, though, good looking helmet.
Speaker 7: One day I'll tell my story about Pat Tillman connection to my baseball career, but it's not here nor there.
Speaker 4: I would love to hear it sometime. Fab me On appreciate the time man. Everyone check out his article's really great work. Covering the Dodgers in the Athletic Check out what he's bringing to the table on Twitter as well.
Speaker 2: Thanks man, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Sometimes we get the asks for lightweight hoodies and I'm like, uh, they exist. They're awesome at roeback.
Speaker 2: Without a doubt, comfort, lightweight, durability. I wear these all the time. The color schemes are absolutely phenomenal.
Speaker 4: Go check it out. You can use the code foul on rowback dot com for twenty percent off your first purchase. That's foul on r HO BA c K dot com. Twenty percent off all shorts, hoodies, polos, and more. Go check out Rowback. Oden puts out an article Name Athletic on MLB's ten biggest surprises. Some include the Tigers first place in the division and in the American League, the Mets rotation, the Mariners rejuvenated offense, Jacob Wilson, who looks one of those old school contact extraordinaries. I want to get into a few others too. Do you know who leads MLB in strikeouts right now?
Speaker 6: Kenzie Gore?
Speaker 4: Yeah, twelve point eight two strikeouts per nine innings, up from nine point seventy nine per nine last season.
Speaker 2: That's a big jump.
Speaker 4: And actually this isn't in the article, but this has been pointed out by a few FT fans. They said, look at Paul Schen's strikeout numbers. It's super interesting.
Speaker 2: They are way down, way down. But he is giving the team length.
Speaker 4: So I think he's so good that he is one of those guys that can say I can sacrifice some swing and miss and get some.
Speaker 2: Quick outs old school style. Obviously the league's getting to it a little bit more.
Speaker 6: He's fine.
Speaker 3: His numbers are still good. He just can't score any damn runs for him. But yeah, I think you're right. I think Skien strikeouts are way down. But plus people have seen him now. He's stilling a lot more to contact, try to go deeper into games, which is smart.
Speaker 6: That's how guys used to do it.
Speaker 4: You're gonna get contact on the splinker. Sometimes it's just gonna be crap.
Speaker 6: Content he can he can still strike guys out, if I agree, he can learning.
Speaker 7: He's learning to pitch differently with runners in scoring position. Watch a game, watch his stuff. There's a different You're seeing a different pitcher when there's dudes in scoring position. That's a maturation that like usually happens in year three or four, not in the year one and a half.
Speaker 4: One part that I think we're all gonna disagree on is topic nine on this article, Minor league stadiums in MLB working out.
Speaker 6: For the most part, that's guys that have been to especially Sacramento.
Speaker 2: And when you say guys, I mean guys and girls fans too.
Speaker 3: But I'm talking like the people we talked to on this show. When you ask about Sacramento, they're like, it's suitable. Then we have on the ideas and it's good for three days, but I don't want to spend three years there.
Speaker 4: I don't remember, but yeah, I mean that's to be the sentiment with just about everyone that's hitting those spots right now. Right And I've asked some people about the Rays experience at Steinberner Field, and they're like, it's put together nicely, but they're like, it's super minor league spring training game. There's no pomping circumstance. It's it's quiet, it's it's not big league entertainment. It's a little bit pure, which is cool, but they're like, that's really not how the league should be built these days.
Speaker 1: It is what it is.
Speaker 2: But I would definitely not call it.
Speaker 3: By the way, Jacob Wilson. The Jacob Wilson thing is if you haven't seen that dude hit it's all.
Speaker 6: He's like my all time. He's like one of my favorite hitters. So watch He's like me.
Speaker 3: You don't get to three counts, you don't get the three ball counts, you don't get to two strikes.
Speaker 6: They throw one up there. He freaking wax it. Yep. Two homers last night. Pretty awesome.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Justin Shackles said he was the one who was in Sacramento, was like, I wouldn't want to spend three years there. Jacob Wilson, I bought a little I bought a little preseason Rookie of the Year for So let's keep it going, Willie. Okay, I played with your dad.
Speaker 6: For a little bit.
Speaker 4: So I want to make sure we go back to the parks here, which is Jacob Wilson's team. It's not a success for them. The A's are eight and thirteen at home, they're fourteen and seven on the road. The Rays eleven and seventeen at home, eight and five on the road. So they're not thrilled with the results right now, and wait for it. We've been talking about the summer months for both of these ballparks. What's going to happen in Sacramento. You're going to be able to bring your carton of eggs and cook it on the field or on the seats or anything else. It gets to what one hundred and ten or something, and we're close by to Tampa.
Speaker 3: Well, the Rays aren't going to be in Tampa, so theyn't got to worry about it. They're going to spend the whole second half on the road.
Speaker 4: But when they are there for some select games, it's hot and it rains. So it's just not a great fan experience in those environments. Those environments for a big league park need.
Speaker 6: And third decks and.
Speaker 2: Roofs if possible.
Speaker 6: But the other day, the third deck is real, said someone's I heard him say it. The other day, third deck is real. Shacks justin this guy, he's like, the third deck is real.
Speaker 7: I think part of them, I think part of both of those teams losing at home is it's not a big league park and there's very little margin for variants. So you have to learn to play at a big league park or at a minor league park. That's differently. That's different than a big league park. And I get it, you're playing the other team's playing in the same park, but you're doing a day in and day out.
Speaker 6: And when you come into.
Speaker 7: Tampa and the dudes are going OPO that usually don't go APO, it's a completely different scouting report, way to pitch guys. And you got to learn that for more games than the other team because the other team's out of there in three days. So I think it's a disadvantage for the teams didn't play