Speaker 1: I think go back killing myself and I love myself way more than I love you.
Speaker 2: Jesus the most Beautiful Thought song, and I love myself way more than I love you.
Speaker 1: Okay, dude, he's so edgy. Oh wait, his brain's literally eating itself.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, dude, they're lives his live straight. I've seen a couple of snippets of these lives. I don't even know why I keep going back, but it's like the people he's it gets lower and lower. Pretty soon, he's going to be hanging around like a bunch of cockroaches that can speak English, because it's like Joe's apartment stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, truly, welcome to Joe's apartment. It's our apartment, dude. We've been here for over a hundred million years. That will be here long after.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: I was fucking with Joe's Apartment. That MTP movie, Yeah, it was like that was the brand. MTV was our a twenty four Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if MTV Films was fucking with it, yeah, I like a bunch.
Speaker 1: Of Yeah, I think I was watching it.
Speaker 2: If MTV Films was fucking films, make what else are they making?
Speaker 1: What did they make? I mean, I know they made that like one reality movie.
Speaker 2: It was like, can kun didn't.
Speaker 1: They do Freddy Got Fingered?
Speaker 2: Was that one of theirs? I think Napoleon Dynamite is technically yeah, Napoleon Dynamite is an MTV film, Orange County is an MTV film. On Campus is an MTV film. Hustle and Flow is technically an MTV film. Varsity Blues is also an MTV film. Saved the Last Dance or MTV.
Speaker 1: Film You Do America obviously Varsity Blue. Yeah, damn, they really were that A twenty four Zelander cigarettes Run the movie Coach Carter.
Speaker 2: Election, Dave Nevatni bro Alexander Payne's.
Speaker 1: Election one half election and one half Katy Perry part of me. Yeah, right, Hansel and gret Seriously, Freddy Got Fingered?
Speaker 2: They did not do Freddy Got Fingered. No, they did Freedom Writers. So Jesus, you don't hit freedom, you don't get Freddy Got fingers. But they did Freedom Writers.
Speaker 1: MTV films the original A twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I think that's actually in a weird way, it kind of is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like we were coming to check him for poy Tang. They made Pooty tangsa, let.
Speaker 2: Me get a side of tay.
Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this week trend edition of Gust.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and a yah to you as well. Yeah to you.
Speaker 1: Yes, my name is Jack O'Brien. That over there there is Miles great.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It is the episode where we tell you some of the stories.
Speaker 1: That are trending on Monday morning, some of the things that happened over the week and at the end of last week. But first, we like to get to know each other a little bit better by holding hands, staring into one another's eyes yep, and telling each other some things we think are underrated, some things we think are overrated. Miles, should we kick it off by telling them?
Speaker 2: Shall kick it off? Old school? Shall we kick it? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes we shall. That should have been how that song went? What is something, Miles that you think is underrated? So this is a good one.
Speaker 2: I found something out. I had a friend telling me an anecdote about how at his parents' house he was there like with his ex girlfriend, and they let the dog out and next thing you know, the dog was rolling in a raccoon latrine. And I said what And he said, a raccoon latrine? And I said, what the fuck is a raccoon latrine? So are the sounds that are coming out of your hated raccoon latrines? Why? Okay? I had no First of all, I had no idea there was a name for raccoons like where they take their shits, but they do. It's a raccoon latrine. And they don't just shit wherever like some common rat Raccoons like to go in the same spot over and over and over again until it piles up and becomes a literal health hazard. Like I was reading like, you should be absolutely cleaning up raccoon latrines because like there's parasites in their like in their feces that can cause terrible infections if ingested. Gee, And I was just like I could not believe that this is there was something I don't know. I just really appreciated the fact that they use a latrine. Are I just really appreciate it. When I heard it, I was like, wait, are they like are they doing are they scooping out a latrine? Because I'm thinking about like an actual latrine. There's like some kind of I know it's a place, but maybe structure, it's dug out. No, it's just the name where their shit pile goes.
Speaker 1: And then I was more like where a dog has a preferred bush, like when you take a dog on a walk and it's just like, well, this is my spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but a dog will never just shit in the exact same place over and over and over. I mean some might, but like this is like a Eurasian badgers do this. Apparently, elephants do this. Deer there's just like a lot of animals that do communal latrines. And I was just like, this is just this is like one of those things you miss in like Planet Earth, where yes, I think it's amazing that the raccoon has posable thumbs and is smart and does all this, but tell us that the fact that they all take a dump like in the same spot, like they're like, Noah, bro we shit, we shit in the same spot, baby, We'd like to keep this thing separate.
Speaker 1: I took the kids camping this weekend to the site of the raccoon War recently, so this was a oh what the.
Speaker 2: Last time that I went camping.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I told you that we our campsite was invaded by like thirteen raccoons. Oh maybe we're like going into tent like stealing people. Well because like some of some of the people brought like left breakfast burritos and their tent just loose some people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean that's like that that's the thing you got to learn when you are outdoors. First, I was like, you can't just leave this shit out.
Speaker 1: Similar group of people, and we were much more disciplined than hardly any raccoon contact there. Did not see latrons And this is this is one that actually comes a week too late because I was just letting the kids go around and play and ship like piles of shit. I was just like, yeah, I don't know, man, that looks as good as any anything to play in.
Speaker 2: Those are some cool rocks. Dig around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's uh. It was a successful weekend. Some of the some of the raccoons, though, are like look like they could have been drafted in the NFL draft. Was like fullbacks. They're like really five to fifty likenches built like a bridgeh outide of Christmas Hams, built like a brick shithouse, which is where they would prefer to take their ships because they're sophisticated animals. My underrated a couple underrateds from this weekend. One was just viewing your town as a tourist would I had this thought as I was like exploring Tokyo and Soul that I was like, Oh, we should do this in La, Like we should do just like a walking tour with somebody who knows La, like I probably haven't been to like all the museums or restaurants or like night markets or you know, like street street food places that La has to offer. And this weekend I took the kids as part of this camping trip. We were down in San Pedro Yah. Took the kids to the uss Iowa. Oh don't know if you're familiar.
Speaker 2: I shot. I was in a recreation, like a Discovery Channel historical recreation about when Navy seals killed a bunch of Somali pirates. And I played a Somali pirate who got killed by a Navy seal and we shot that on the US WOW. And I was acting opposite actual Navy seals who were like between tours in Iraq at the time. Jesus Christ, it was the weirdest fucking setup I'd ever been up like, and this was like I was just getting like I needed work and a guy and it was like, dude, you look like shit in the background. You could maybe pass for a dark skinned terrorist like you. Yeah, truly it was. It was anyway, but yeah, a fascinating fast You look like.
Speaker 1: A victim of globalism from the global South, right.
Speaker 2: Exactly, American imperialism, step right up. Yeah, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: The kids had a black you know, they we got to see that. There's a gun on that ship that has the record for it's the longest rifle shot of all time. It's like a it's like a big like deck gun, you know, like it's you know, visible from a mile away.
Speaker 2: The gun is huge.
Speaker 1: It fired a round twenty seven miles wow, which is and was impressed.
Speaker 2: Defiably killing someone on the other end, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I think it was just I think it's just been funsies for a while now.
Speaker 2: Just shooting them off into the seat.
Speaker 1: And then also Kermit the Frog as pop culture archetype, I want to shout out as underrated that I don't know there are certain gentle men who I am realizing are like channeling Kermit the Frog like that. The Last culture has had Amy Poehler on a recent episode, and she was talking about the moment, you know, her moment where she realized culture was for her was Miss Piggy. And then they started talking about Kermit, and I was like, man, I feel like I know a lot of people who like, they've never mentioned Kermit the Frog to me, but I'm like, this motherfucker love Hermit is kermit ass, and like they're always just gentle, lovely people.
Speaker 2: Who's a Kermit?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not gonna name names people I don't know who's a celebrity. Is there a celebrity that you think is motherfucker?
Speaker 2: I should have come with examples so you only have shady examples from your personal life that you don't want to fully say hell loud. All right, all right, and and we're back. We just know what it just took fifteen minutes. Do you know what it is? It is talk about three people who we know. This is not a pejority, This is not it's not even again and I and I and I'm sorry that I miscategorized it by even saying this kermit ass motherfucker, because it's not even like that. It's not even upset that somebody's a current.
Speaker 1: They're they're the best. But it is like a organized you know. I've talked before about how I think like our version of you know, how like Freud is like we're all organized into these Greek myth archetypes. That's yeah, We're all muppets are just like various characters, you know, icons, And I think Kermit is one of those icons that probably has a sizable portion of the population behind him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean, I guess it is one of those things because I was always like, yeah, as a kid, I was like, bro, I fuck with Kermit was my favorite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, I don't know. I I'll come up with some celebrities. Zeigang hit hit us with any celebrities or movie characters you think are very kirmity. But yeah, Kermit, Yeah, got that Kermit in them. Yeah, that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: That's stable says you are a nice boy. That's good. That's right, that's sincere. You want that, Miles, What is something you think is overrated? Fuck man, chicken breast And I've been saying this for a long time.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, it is a favorite. That's my favorite part of the chicken.
Speaker 2: It is now delicious fucking official. Okay, we are I know, but I've been Look, I've been saying, I'm all about dark meat supremacy. I've been saying dark meat is the best part of the chicken. It's juicy, you are fucking you can't overcook it. I mean you can, but you'd have to do a really fucking hard thigh to a lot, Yeah, to dry out a thigh, like even when I was really so good with the skin on, when you cook that in the can, get that shit crispy. Anyway, So I've always but now I'm reading that the people have accepted now that chicken thighs are better, and it's being reflected in the prices. Thighs are now like going up and up in price, and breasts are going down, and what used to be the low priced secret for people who no good food is now becoming like the de facto official best part of the chicken. And now this is it is now being reflected. I just saw an article about how the prices have been declining in breast meat and going up for thigh meat, and I'm just like, wow, wow, here we are here we are. Either way, it's still cheaper to butcher your own bird, not but your own bird, but like get a half chicken or get a whole chicken and then break that down yourself. That's still like I said I think a few weeks ago. Just get the just get the quarter parts or whatever and do the work to separate the pieces yourself, because you will save money. But I just couldn't believe that we are now like officially the chicken breast era is over. It's like when we went from the boom era to the butt era.
Speaker 1: We're fulling the butt ara kind of simultaneous or I mean it's a lagging indicator, I guess the chicken. But yeah, we we have made the same move with you know, body archetypes and now with our favored chicken pieces.
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah.
Speaker 1: So now we're gonna need some people coming up with like hints for how to cook breasts that don't taste like shit.
Speaker 2: You just have to cook it really well or like brine it and then yeah, and then like do a souvd or grill. That's the times I've had the most succulent, delicious chicken breast. But god damn, you need.
Speaker 1: You need all the tricks in the book you need. It's like master level cooking to not fuck up a chicken breast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, just Brian it, I guess. But anyway, it was just interesting to see, like we can now officially say chicken breasts are overrated. America has now crossed over to thig. It's thigh time. We're thigh.
Speaker 1: We're a nation of thimen, all right. So my overrated is just whatever you think everyone is talking about on social media, just like whatever any I. So, on the tour of the uss Iowa, we had a very patient tour guide who kept like talking about He's like, people on social media will tell you that the uss I well class battleships wouldn't hold up in modern warfare, and like he kept like three times he like raised these like debates that are happening he assumed are happening on our social media as well as his.
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, with the discourse, like.
Speaker 1: It's just and it's understandable, you know that I don't know that's what his algorithm is feeding him, and so he assumes.
Speaker 2: That it's like out there.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a very confusing time to be like not a completely media savvy person. Yeah, you know, like it's I love that he grew up in a world of you know, he's a little older. You know, he grew up in the world of like a monoculture.
Speaker 2: He's giving tours of decommissioned battleships. I know, he's a little bit. That's a seventeen year old. It's just like, you know, doing it for the love of the game. They just haven't I don't know.
Speaker 1: We had a story last week about how gen z is supposedly more gullible than boomers and.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone, but just like, yeah, they haven't been able to make the shift from monoculture to what we're working with now.
Speaker 2: And so now everybody of a certain generation.
Speaker 1: And I think to a lesser extent, like a lot of like just everybody is walking around with warped images of what the world actually gives a fuck about on their brand.
Speaker 2: Totally. I mean I get too, Like it makes me think of like the Dan versus Dave thing from the nineteen ninety two Olympics. Yeah, like which decathlete's gonna do it? And that was that. I feel like that was the monoculture too at the time, Like a lot of people liked Dan.
Speaker 1: Or Dave, Yeah, and one of them didn't make it. And the others came in.
Speaker 2: Tenth to they saw shit, it was so bad. But anyway, I just think of like, yeah, that those days are over, like everyone and is purely in their own world. But I'd love to be on that end of social media where people are talking shit about the Iowa Class battleships.
Speaker 1: I know, I kind of want to go dig into that so that my algorithm changes to focusing on that ship.
Speaker 2: I bet that's pretty Nazi adjacent stuff eventually, because are.
Speaker 1: So interested in the SS they would love to tour Harlan Crowe's house. Oh yeah, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about some news stories. We'll be right back, and we're back. We're back, and more than a decade after Obama's tan suit Gate.
Speaker 2: You remember suit Gate? Oh yeah, fuck is this guy were Trump?
Speaker 1: And this is the biggest story of the weekend and the worst thing that he did. He has his own Suitgate. He said, no, this is this is a dumb story, but it is. You know, sure, he's tanking the economy and arresting judges who opposed his fascist whims, which we'll get to in a second. But look at the suit he wore to the Pope's funeral in blue.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was, man, this was a focus of speaking of your social media bubbles. There were a lot of people being like, wait to show a cropped photo, why didn't you zoom out and show the whole thing? And people were like altering the color and to make it look like other people were wearing blue suits to try and make a non thing. And then there were definitely people in navy suits like dark like dark blue. But Trump was definitely in some like fuck a dress code. Yeah, dude, that was his whole thing. I mean whatever, I don't know what they expected from him. He doesn't respect anything.
Speaker 1: He Yeah, it was more like less navy closer. It was between navy in royal. It was like if you looked at a picture of the whole group, of the whole crowd, it did pop out. And it was my first thought, even before seeing people freaking out about it. I was like, Damn, that's pretty pretty not black, uh for a suit at a funeral.
Speaker 2: I want to be charitable here, but I guess so we can call that.
Speaker 1: We'll call that black ish. Yeah, favorite show, but it wasn't that. But yeah, like he didn't wear a black tie. Didn't you know, he didn't. He didn't do any of the shit, And so people are mad. I don't know who really gives a ship. People are like, and we know he owns a black suit because he wore one to Jimmy Carter's funeral.
Speaker 2: It's like yeah.
Speaker 1: And also because he's the fucking president of the United States. It's not like he owns a black suit.
Speaker 2: It's not a seventeen year old who just showed up later graduation, like, and we know he owns he wore one to prompt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he re seated in the first row. Got kind of low key dunked on during the eulogy when one of the cardinals, the cardinal who was giving the eulogy reference how the Pope asked people to build bridges not walls. So it was, oh, yeah, that's right, bars, Oh this fucking guy whoa grattata basically Okay. I mean, I don't know if this is part of it. He definitely does seem like he is in a I'm past politics, I know longer need to do the political thing, you know, and think about like sixty million Catholics in America, because you know, I'm an American badass. I feel like like he doesn't.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think the reason that other presidents wouldn't have done that is because you don't want to offend Catholics, and he just doesn't give a fuck, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, but even then, it's just like he just doesn't give a fuck across the board. It's not even like that's not even his mind. It's like, so the dress code is to wear black, I don't give a fuck. Yeah, I'm wearing this fucking yeah cobalt blue suit. I appreciate that because it's entertaining. And also I don't see the possible upside of him, like he is still a politician. I don't know if we'll ever have elections again, but I don't see the upside of adopting a like fuck the Pope because he was mean to me stance, you know, Like, I don't know. He has better political instincts than I've given him credit for in the past, but I don't don't know about this one. And to the other hand, he has this is the furthest day president has ever been underwater in terms of approval one hundred days into his term. So yeah, yeah, all bad, all bad. I don't know. I mean, it's like his instincts. They only it's it's just like broken clock that occasionally the hands of the clock move to be the right time and then subsequently happened to be the right time just because the passage of time. Yeah, but a lot of people got pissed. I don't know. At the same time, it's like why does he even like he's only there because he wants to be Like and you see me, I was Jack Nicholson at the Pope front row at the Lake Show. Did Jack Nicholson of Pope Funerals? Yeah, exactly. They called me there. You know the lady that sits next to Lou Adler. That was me, Lou Adler. What a what a run he's had.
Speaker 1: Also, just in terms of classy things people were doing next to the Pope's dead body, a big trend over the weekend was people snapping selfies with the Pope so you could you could actually like there was just a long line where you could walk up and like stand next to the Pope's dead body, like it was the Mona Lisa.
Speaker 2: You know, flick it up with a corpse, why not? And yeah, everybody was flicking it up and that must be like fun when you're just You're like, we're taking a little trip. We're a trip in Rome, and it's like the pope, dude, should we just go by the Vatican and goes clicking up with the Pope's body. You can just see the Pope's dead body. Yeah, great, great, do it.
Speaker 1: This is the first pope death of the smartphone era. So uh yeah, you know, they weren't ready. I mean they did say, like you, they said, uh, let me see their official guidance on the matter. Uh. They told the media visitors are invited not to take photos because it would be in not in the best of taste.
Speaker 2: When you say it invited to not yeah, invited not to? Yeah wow, but what just say visitors are required or you know, beat you some stronger language, like we invite you to not do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're queuing for hours, praying and paying their respects, but taking pictures is not in the best of taste. I feel like I feel like the next papal administration needs to be like mean pope, you know, no more passive aggressive like bridges not walls, like symbolic shit. I think he needs to go full like get a load of this clown.
Speaker 2: Yeah shit, Oh, this guy's gonna be the Satan's bitch down in Hell the way he's acting. Whoa you know, like get back to brass tacks. The whole thing was about scaring the fuck out of people, I thought, with Catholicism, so turn it up, turn it on people. Why not?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's what I'm saying. But I'm sure the people that believe they'll be shook.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And photos also, as Brian pointed out, are a sin. You know that they capture your soul and that's cool. Is that okay Catholicism or is that just what people used to believe in like the sixteen hundreds.
Speaker 2: Oh right, early early thoughts of what a photo? What a photo was?
Speaker 1: I'm sure you can be trapped in there, man, You sure sure about that?
Speaker 2: You sure you want to do that? Uh?
Speaker 1: They got little popes in their phones? Now, what's what's that going to happen to a soul? Also, the media was quick to condemn the selfies, but then reprint them just with the faces blurred out, of course, because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it cares you know, unless you're going to hell, stop talking about it. And if you're going to hell, tell people. That's right.
Speaker 1: One person, one Instagram person posted a photo of themselves smiling, which I kind of respect, Like, if you're gonna do the selfie, don't write like just you with the post with like the sad face emoji. I feel like probably was happening a lot. All right, let's talk about the we we've reached the arresting judges phase of the dictatorship. Yeah, yeah, probably heard by now the judge Hannah Dugan at this point thanks to cash Ptel's post on x, the official social media app for I mean, it's everything app so overthrowing the judiciary? Is it counts? It's everything? Yeah, But so basically what happened. ICE agents showed up at a courthouse to arrest someone who was at a hearing for battery charges.
Speaker 2: Dugan or Duggan? Is it? Do we know? However you want it? Yeah? You know.
Speaker 1: Dougan called it absurd and said that the ICE agents needed a judiciary warrant yeast warn rules, and the Chief Judge claimed that there was a policy in the works about where in the courthouse ICE agents could arrest people, and at that point arrest could only be made in public areas like hallways, So she spoke with federal agents. They were apparently assholes, and so she did not send this person directly out into their clutches, to send them a different private way out.
Speaker 2: Well, they said it was a different door, but it led to a public hallway. Yeah, so it's still not as if you're getting like rushed out of the show like Elvis at the end of the night. Right, it was just like you could use this other door that leads to a publicly accessible hallway. At least that felt like that was in the complaint, right, and everything was public at that point. Like, then got into an elevator with an agent who just could have arrested him there, did nothing. Then he walked out, and then they're like, oh, don't let him get away. And then when I act like this judge was actually trying to like obstruct something very very like. I mean, like even when you read it, it's like it sounds like you had plenty of opportunities to take him, you just didn't until he was on the street and then yeah, took off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does like their version of things implies that she was like, stand on that X right there and then pulled a lever that sent him down an escape shoot right. Yeah, so she was just like, now, why don't you go out this this way? And yeah, so it's all you know, this is all happening in the context that we're all waiting to see whether or not Trump is going to stand down against court orders that are saying he can't do a bunch of the kidnappings that he's doing right now. And it seems to be the only institution in the country that is standing against him at.
Speaker 2: The moment, at least within the government. Yeah. Yeah, so it does.
Speaker 1: You know, it makes us It makes sense that he'd make a spectacle of arresting a judge for essentially insubordination.
Speaker 2: I mean, when you look at kind of the events of last week, it was all ramping up to being like Trump's visibly looks less and less powerful, like in terms of like losing court cases, polling numbers going down, and yeah, this felt very much like a reaction to all of that, or the perception that he had to like reassert that he's like, no, I'm in control. I will now they purp walked this judge through the fucking courthouse. Like all of this was to just create the visuals to be like this is what will happen if you go against me, especially to other judges. Yeah so yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Like normally for something like this, where it's not a criminal is being suspected of or somebody who's being suspected of a violent act, they're not arresting them at all. But yeah, like you said, in this case, it was done for spectacle. It was done to send a message to other judges and maybe the Supreme Court, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Again, this is also the other thing is too everything is about the optics, because even for how wild everything is going, Trump is still not deporting people at the rate Joe Biden was. Joe Biden's the king of deportations. But all that to say is they want this perception to be like we're even, we're on top of this, we're getting everybody out, and it's not. It's sloppy and it's violent and it's cruel, and that's all it is. And that's really the point. It's really not about like whatever the perceived quote unquote efficiency is of disappearing people, but purely about making people feel as much fear as possible at every level. And that's yeah. I think it's about that.
Speaker 1: I think it's about like doing doing the thing, but also about like they're doing things to get Like the fact that this is a story is not an accident. They wanted the story story.
Speaker 2: Yeah for the Yeah for sure, for sure, But they don't I'm sure they would not want the story out that Joe Biden was somehow better than he was at at Beach Cool. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, Joe Biden was smuggled into do an appearance at Harvard I think at the end of last week or in the middle of last week, and at one point dropped an ice cream, couldn't hold onto his ice cream, also confused I think Iraq and Russia and had to be corrected, and also dropped an ice cream bar that he was holding. So things are going good there.
Speaker 2: Oh man, why do we what.
Speaker 1: The conspiracy to take him out of the running as far I saw.
Speaker 2: Him in the ice cream? Remember, wasn't that that thing with Seth Myers. Remember they have an ice cream and they're trying to talk.
Speaker 1: And like that's always been that's like his main food group.
Speaker 2: So does Nancy Pelosi. She's like has chocolate ice cream.
Speaker 1: They like little treats, you know, they need little treats.
Speaker 2: They have forty dollars freezers for their child that let's take a quick break and we'll be right back, and we're back. We're back. So a lot of people were, especially the people at.
Speaker 1: The industry Rag variety. We're looking at the second weekend for the movie Sinners, which was this past weekend. You know, they had come out and they were like, this movie, yeah, it's doing well its first weekend.
Speaker 2: Barely. That's not gonna be a road.
Speaker 1: It's got a lot of work left to do if it wants to be profitable. Just like managed to put a sour tone on something that was basically like this, this movie is beating all of our expectations at a time when the theatrical film going experiences in like desperate need of success and good good news. They were like, nobody can say why because they weren't that hard on Quentin Tarantino's movie. But Ryan Coogler, for whatever reason, they did not did not like this news anyways, you know, would have been probably welcome news for them if Sinners fell off, Like a lot of horror movies do, a lot of horror movies don't necessarily hold that well. And you know, movies that be expectations of the first weekend. A lot of times, it's like, well, all the people we were expecting to see the movie have seen the movie, and so it falls off big in the second weekend. This time, however, Sinner's second weekend was historically successful, Like It's its first weekend was already historically successful, and they were like, yeah, whatever. Second weekend it made around forty two million domestically, which is barely a drop from last week's forty eight million. Usually, like a typical movie would go from like forty eight million down to like, you know, twenty two would be like a decent hold for a second weekend for like a big box office movie. This one went down just six million. It's the smallest second weekend decline for a movie that made more than forty million dollars since Avatar Into Avatars, since fucking Avatar. Wow, go Home Avatar Yep, yep. It is the smallest decline ever.
Speaker 2: For an R rated horror movie. Dude, each shit, each shit, variety, each shit. All these people who are trying to fucking throw dirt on this project and question Ryan Kugler's ability to make a film that people want to see. I couldn't even fucking see it this weekend because every show was sold out or nearly sold out, where it's like, I mean, you like, for you know, my schedule, and like when I could get childcare, could not find a time to see it unless I wanted to sit in the front row. So I was like, yeah, this is this like, and I don't have to win another week at least to find a time when it gets a little bit more flexible. I'm not surprised because it's this is just everyone outside of like you know, the industry rags people checked for Ryan Kugler movies. It's just it is what it is, regardless of what the press is saying. So I'm glad they're having this moment, or at least some of the industry rags are like, damn, this is good. Well, variety seems probably doubling down, and it's whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah fine, yeah, I mean it seems like again, like the movie was incredibly successful compared to Quentin Tarantino's movie Once upon a Time in Hollywood, which was on way more screens. So again, like, even though this movie is incredibly successful, they're not putting it on enough screens. It's like on every too few screens and nobody can get like, people are gonna have to wait to see it.
Speaker 2: When I went to try and get a ticket, I was like, wait, they re released episode three. I was like, why the fuck is that taking up space on the in the fucking theater? And then The Accountant two would burnthall and affleck. I'm like, what the fuck missed me with this? No? Yeah, so that's what.
Speaker 1: The Accountant two came in third, behind Sinners and a re release of Star Wars Revenge of the Sith.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, it was behind Star Wars starring bro Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Revenge of the Sith apparently did incredibly well effect that variety probably has no problem being excited about. Because that also means, you know, good news for studios where they can just re release stuff. They don't even need to make new movies, you know.
Speaker 2: I know. Now we're just gonna have twenty every year, just twentieth anniversary re releases, thirtieth anniversary re releases. Sure, sure, well, I'm glad. I'm glad that The Accountant Too didn't even because they were really I remember last week they're saying, like it'll be close between Sinners and Accountant two where like most people who are realistic are like sinners might probably outdo you.
Speaker 1: Think you made a lot of money, sinners? This guy counts money for a fucking living.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, And it's got euro cop actor John Burnenthal in it.
Speaker 1: Good fucking luck, favorite podcast host John Barenthal. But yeah, it's breaking all sorts of records. And the Hollywood Reporter, which is like the other it's like variety in the hollywod a reporter of the two. Hollywood Reporter, by the way, has like some truly monstrous stories that are you know, about Palestine and Israel and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But variety too. Variety is also the doing a lot of weird Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But the Hollywood Reporter said that some naysayers label it a money loser even before it had a chance to Barrett's teeth in their article talking about how much money it made. But yeah, even when talking shit, they have to like make sure they get a dumb pun in there. Yeah, boffo punning Hollywood Reporter.
Speaker 2: No, I guess yeah, something with fangs would have been too too much. So Barrett's teeth. I feel like that's the elegant one.
Speaker 1: I guess flash Its fangs. Yeah, Barrett's teeth is just I don't know, it's fine, but yeah, there's still The Variety released a movie an article this weekend for their VIP paywall section, claiming that there are too many horror movies scheduled for twenty five and like one of the horror movies they have in the image is Sinners. And again this is coming out the week after Sinners broke all sorts of box office records.
Speaker 2: They're like, say, you hate black people, righty? This is like so exhausting to try and talk around it in ways that don't even make sense, Like there's actually two The thing, this is what I say is horror overkill. Too many scary movies set for twenty too many scary movies, Are you fucking serious? This is like these are the proportion for budget to profit. This is like the shit studios love is horror fucking movies. Yeah, it's been very little and make a ton, so now yeah.
Speaker 1: They're the most profitable movie genre. Like they a third of the fifty most profitable movies in Hollywood history. Or horror. That's not the highest grossing, it's the ones that had the biggest difference between you know, that they spent and what they made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's too many scary movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Hard to notice that they weren't complaining about horror movies being a problem before.
Speaker 2: But next you're gonna be like, there's too many scary directors of whatever the fuck they're gonna.
Speaker 1: Say, too many scary directors walking around this town with just a picture. Ryan Coogler Spike Line First, Ryan Coogler.
Speaker 2: Is I he has to he has to go through so much shit. I just think about that time they called the cops on him when he was trying to like take a get a cash withdrawal out of a bank because it was like ten grand, and the cops like hemmed him up. Yeah, I'm like, man, leave this fucking guy, leave leave us alone. I let him fucking do his thing. Like this is I I'd love to hear the studio that put it out, like maybe have some kind of defense or pushback to like this like weird narrative. They're trying to get the catch, but they're the ones who probably pushed the story in the first place. They're like, God, we really fucked up with this deal. I mean it's making us money. Ah, he's gonna get the ownership.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they like they can't even feel good about the Star Wars re release doing well because in the twenty five year anniversary when Ryan Coogler re releases it, they don't get any of that money because he's gonna own it. At that point, affect the variety was like, it's the death of the studio system, even though Quentin Tarantino got the same deal and everyone's like, no, that makes sense for him.
Speaker 2: I kind of like that for him. And also you look at the consistency of Ryan Coogler's shit. It's yeah, it's it's up, it's it's consistent. It's not like he makes shitty movies like it has like terrible swings in a miss like when he's really into something, like those films come out really well. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it makes sense for Tarantino though, you know, but like this guy, I don't know, it's like he hasn't earned it or something.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, Like, I don't know, he's just trying to do it off. He's just trying to do it off raw talent. Yeah, he's got a lot of raw talent miles. He's not getting in there working hard, you know what. I mean that work ethic. Are we talking about NBA players?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: What are you saying?
Speaker 1: Hey, All I'm saying is if I took that many shots, I'd score thirty a game too. What are you talking about, Well, like when you're making a movie, you have to take shot.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, I'm just saying, guys.
Speaker 1: This is how they Michael Jordan for being too good. If you ask me, a guy's a bit of a hot dog. And then I do just want to note some late breaking news on uh so, I feel like there was a missed opportunity. Easter and four twenty happened on the same day.
Speaker 2: I wore my dream blunt Rotation T shirt that had the last up on it.
Speaker 1: I did my part, Miles did his part, but like there was not a massive like weed stir like put I don't know, like what whatever you want to call it. Like it could have been something. It could have been the Barbenheimer of getting high and eating at all you can eat buffet.
Speaker 2: That weekend they re released Passion of the Christ and Half Baked.
Speaker 1: You're like, dude, you're doing weedster Sunday. Yeah. But anyways, one guy besides Miles was up to the task. A hero in Texas staged in easter egg hunt for plastic eggs full of weed, and honestly, like, how was this not happening everywhere? But he posted clues on Facebook and provided hints to people he sold to, and now the cops are looking for him because that was a bad idea.
Speaker 2: You cannot. You can't be doing California behavior in Texas. Nah, yeah, you cannot. You're posting on Facebook to your custodes about where the ship's at that you sold. Are you.
Speaker 1: Take a class to learn how to use Facebook to catch people? Like they're already on Facebook posting about how hard their job is and how they how they got in a car that once had fentanyl and it almost killed them. Like Facebook is where they hang. But where you're posting.
Speaker 2: That's wild to me is that the police are. Like the suspect posted four photos on Facebook showing each location has hints to locate the eggs. He also posted a photo of five plastic eggs in the seat of a vehicle. Officers found four eggs and believed he had not placed a fit. So the cops were doing this scavenger hunt better than the customers were, Like y'all you have to They're on Facebook. They're on Facebook. Please we got eggs.
Speaker 1: And they were on it quicker like the idea that this was like a thing where like they got tipped off.
Speaker 2: I feel like they might have been onto this guy before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they got the eggs before anybody got the eggs. Like, I feel like, I don't know either the guys customers were busy getting high on Easter or they just were like, this is a bad idea. Hys he posted this on Facebook, but this is in a signal chat.
Speaker 2: This feels like the first act of like a low stakes breaking bad where like a high school English teacher or like an elementary school teacher decides to sell weed and it's like, let me make it fun for me, fun for the kid. It was a preschool teacher and you can find them around everywhere, and the cops are like, hold on, this motherfucker's just posting it on Facebook. And then they get caught and like, shit, run for your life, but yeah, good luck, good luck to I feel a bit man. Those people are like, why why would I bro just give me my weed? I don't want to fucking go find it. I am a mystical, magical.
Speaker 1: All right, those are some of the things that are happening on this Monday morning. We are back tomorrow with a whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccines while you still can get your flu shots. Don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to y'all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye bye, doctor, Doctor at