Speaker 1: Stephen Lishinsky arrived expecting discipline. He found a powder keg slouching Biebock, two cadets running guns to Cuban rebels, Abazuka lifted from the bunkers, handed off on Biscayne Bay. Colonel Barnes is dying. Commander Patterson is drinking. The Army wants their land back. And on Valentine's Night, when Lishinsky tried to run, Patterson told him the only truth that matters boys run, men sit tight.
Speaker 2: So he's stayed.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Wheeler's pulling him out of the barracks.
Speaker 1: The barber wants to see him. Exterior Company Street night, Wheeler and Lishinsky walk along toward the rotundan near the Miss Hall.
Speaker 4: Is your nose feeling any better?
Speaker 2: Lieutenant?
Speaker 1: In their pisspot, Lishinsky heads toward the lighted door of the small building in front of him, Interior Crow's barber shop.
Speaker 2: Night.
Speaker 1: Lishinsky, seated, watches Crow, the barber, run the electric hair clippers over the head of a cadet who is indifferent.
Speaker 2: To the fact that he's being clipped nearly bald.
Speaker 5: Do you know of any phone around here? I can use? Huh? Nope?
Speaker 1: Liashinsky looks around the harshty lit room. It is bare except for a table with a few barbering tools and a chair holding the victim. The floor is thick with a carpet of hair left by the cadets. The cadet is finished with his haircut, it gets.
Speaker 2: Down from a chair so long Wendell.
Speaker 1: The cadet doesn't reply. He walks to the door and exits. Crow stands by his chair waiting for Lishinsky.
Speaker 4: I'm probably not gonna be here for long, so if you could just like take a little off the sides and the rest, I can leave long under my hat.
Speaker 5: Oh it's the matter you don't like it here.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it's not that. It's only that I don't think I'm gonna be here that long. So if you just take a little off the sides, I can leave the rest long under my hat.
Speaker 1: Like this, He pulls his hair back with both hands to show how it could be done.
Speaker 6: See oh yeah, yeah, yeah sure.
Speaker 1: And with a gesture, invites Leshinsky to the chair. As Lishinski gets into the chairy, here's the hum of the clippers. The first sudden stroke zooms down the center of his head, leaving a barren, stretching bristle no.
Speaker 2: Interior a company barracks.
Speaker 1: Evening, Boba bursts through the door leading from the latrine, his frenzied and out of breath, carrying a brown paper bag of booze.
Speaker 5: Somebody's like this.
Speaker 1: Sensing the danger at helping Bova, nobody comes to his aid.
Speaker 5: Come on, will you?
Speaker 1: Boba runs over to his locker and throws open the door. He tosses the bag into the bottom of the locker. Commander Patterson lunches wheezing through the latree in doors in hot pursuit of Bova. He sees Bova's standing in front of his locker.
Speaker 5: Not fast enough, Boba, What are you talking about? Sarah working on this term paper?
Speaker 1: Patterson nods and looks at the locker. Boba feels the end is near.
Speaker 5: Do you know anything about the Punic War?
Speaker 7: Sir?
Speaker 2: Patterson opens the locker door.
Speaker 5: How about Dyoto?
Speaker 8: Sir?
Speaker 5: Every year with Dyoto.
Speaker 1: Patterson bends down and lifts the bag out of the locker.
Speaker 5: I have no idea how that up is, sir.
Speaker 9: You're sure, yes, sir, underage.
Speaker 10: Drinking, because if it is yours, it's a E five.
Speaker 11: Oh no, no, no, no, no, it ain't mine. There somebody's trying to frame me.
Speaker 1: Patterson looks into the bag, Jim Bean, Guilby's.
Speaker 9: Well, whosever it is?
Speaker 10: It's contraband way too young for this sort of behavior.
Speaker 1: Patterson folds atop the bag and starts to the door.
Speaker 2: Patterson stops and looks in the bag again.
Speaker 1: He pulls out a brown bottle Coconut rum.
Speaker 5: Sir, it's Valentine's Day.
Speaker 12: Wouldn't you just like to stay and join us for just a nip?
Speaker 10: Now? What kind of protocol would that be? Coconut rum? You boys should be eating candy lights out in fifteen minutes as you were.
Speaker 1: As he walks to the front door, he places the bottle on a ledge near the exit.
Speaker 2: He leaves.
Speaker 1: As Patterson leaves, the boys converge in the bottle of tonic water.
Speaker 13: No nice going lard ass.
Speaker 1: Exterior boat dock evening. From a mango tree overlooking the boat dock, Linquist watches Patterson lying by the shed down in the last of the Gilby's gin. Patterson throws the empty into the bay. He looks up at the silhouette of the high rise apartment buildings under construction. He looks back at the school. He musters his courage and stands up. He takes a deep breath and staggers forward across the parade field.
Speaker 9: Laugh, laugh, I had a good dame, but she lived.
Speaker 1: Exterior Norico's First Aid station.
Speaker 2: Night.
Speaker 1: Patterson is outside of lighted window. He taps clumsily on the panel.
Speaker 2: Rico, the nurse we have.
Speaker 1: Seen at morning prayer and whom the boys referred to as Madam Butterfly. Norico Yakamoto fifty comes to the window.
Speaker 9: What, Norico, what you want? Well? I was thinking today is Valentine's Day.
Speaker 6: Go home, pat you're drunk.
Speaker 9: I want to kiss.
Speaker 6: You're drunk.
Speaker 10: I want to kiss for Valentine's Day.
Speaker 6: I give you a kiss. You go home? Yes, your word as an officer and a gentleman.
Speaker 10: Alrica, oh, I always with the tests.
Speaker 1: Norika reaches out the window and pulls Patterson's head in through the frame.
Speaker 2: She kisses him gently.
Speaker 14: Drinking won't solve your problems, Pats, Hold.
Speaker 9: Me, blossom. It's gonna be a rough night.
Speaker 1: He tries to swing his leg up on the sash and an attempt to get inside. Finally relenting, Noriko starts to help him in. He is halfway through the window when Commander.
Speaker 9: Wheeler got to bed.
Speaker 15: Commander the new chicken's hay wall already, you take care of it, Wheeler. They puss my handcuff, sir, if you could just Patterson climbs down.
Speaker 9: Where is he?
Speaker 15: Just walk through the DM gate waiting for the j buss, probably misses.
Speaker 1: His Mommy cut to exterior academy gate night Wheeler is helping Patterson weave across the parade ground and through the gate. We see Lishinsky sitting on a bench crying. He is without hair, bloody nicks in his head. Patterson flops down next to Leshinsky. Wheeler stands at attention.
Speaker 16: What's wrong, Candy ass can't take.
Speaker 9: It as you were, Wheeler, get to your bunk.
Speaker 1: Wheeler salutes and doesn't about face, then rattles away, sword clanking behind. There is silence, Lishinsky discreetly trying to wipe his tears.
Speaker 9: Where are you are, headed son?
Speaker 5: I don't know?
Speaker 2: Home?
Speaker 9: I yes, this is your home, now, ain't it?
Speaker 2: I hate it here?
Speaker 9: I heard you volunteered, so why'd you come here?
Speaker 5: Then I read the brochure. The guy m the cover had a hat on. I don't know they hacked up your head?
Speaker 9: Well, now there's a reason for that, Lishinsky.
Speaker 17: Yeah, to make you feel like hell.
Speaker 10: Hygiene, to make you look like a soldier. Get rid of the excess baggage, trim you down.
Speaker 5: That explains the food.
Speaker 9: Well, that may not be the ritz, but it's nutritious.
Speaker 1: Patterson takes a bottle from his pocket and drinks.
Speaker 5: I just want to go home.
Speaker 1: Patterson offers him the bottle. Lushinski takes a slug.
Speaker 10: So get the bus, go home. Shame your parents. Is that what you want to do?
Speaker 16: Oh, sir, I just hate it here.
Speaker 10: Well you're not the first, but it ain't always what you hate and what you don't hate.
Speaker 9: Why not sit tight for a while.
Speaker 10: Who knows, Maybe it'll change your mind about what's important. That's what men do. Boys just run can always run home to mama. In my experience, if you're in a storm, it's best to sit tight. Once I was on a beach and Zio. You heard of Anzio? No, sir, what the hell have you been? Invasion of Italy amphibious landing. We made it up the beach and we hold up in this area. It was raining like a son of a bitch. A company's objective was to take this town, New Tuno. We were getting nothing from communications, but we had this objective see take Netuno. But seeing as how it was raining on us like elephant piss.
Speaker 9: Nobody knew where the hell we were, so what the hell?
Speaker 10: We just dug in for the night, set in the muck, mortars dropping, and so on morning comes the rain had stopped and we finally found the town, but the Germans had left.
Speaker 1: The jabuss pulls up to the stop in front of the bench and opens its door. Nobody moves, The door closes and moves off.
Speaker 10: The goddamn Heinees had pulled out during the night. We marched into the town without a shot being fired.
Speaker 9: Word objective accomplished.
Speaker 5: Sir, I thought you were in the Navy.
Speaker 10: Merchant Marines story for another night scent. Now are you going to head back to your unit or do I turn you over to Wheeler as a deserter?
Speaker 1: No, sir, swigs the pint Lashinski gets up from the bench.
Speaker 9: Wait a minute, give me that bottle. How old are you anyway to seventeen?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 10: Almost too young for despairs sixteen and going out at full bore. Just let it idle a bit and don't forget inspection tomorrow eight. Company better looks sharp, or I'll have the entire company.
Speaker 9: In the bull ring.
Speaker 1: Lashinsky walks away, sleep on it. Son Patterson sits alone on the bench Angle. As Lashinsky passes close to Colonel Barnes's house, Sally Barnes is painting by flashlight, putting the finishing touches on her VW Van now army green with a red cross insignia. She sees Lishinsky and stops. They stare at each other.
Speaker 2: For a moment. That nice job, yeah help.
Speaker 1: She smiles, gives him the finger, then heads into the house. Lashinsky watches for her to return, and she doesn't. He backs away toward the barracks, trying to catch sight of her again. Angle Linquist in the mango tree, watching fade to interior Barracks.
Speaker 15: Morning Barracks ten Hot Order of the day A company will police the parade grounds at zero nine point fifteen, immediately following d morning announcements.
Speaker 5: First platoon.
Speaker 1: That means you groans from one side of the barracks.
Speaker 17: As you were.
Speaker 1: He doesn't about face and heads for the door. One of the boys grabs Wheeler's hat on a way out the door. They laughingly pass it down the bunks.
Speaker 17: Give me that.
Speaker 1: The hat passes to Bear, who was just waking up. Wheeler, in a rage, points to Bear, what are a poor fellow?
Speaker 2: They are?
Speaker 1: Sheepishly hands the hat back to Wheeler. Wheelers snaps on his calf.
Speaker 16: Fifteen mils still formation.
Speaker 1: He marches out. Sallow gets out of bed and counts down the rose.
Speaker 5: All right, you heard the elf get in front of your beds.
Speaker 13: It ain't day country club.
Speaker 5: Let's count the boners sound off.
Speaker 1: The boys are still asleep and attention in front of their bunks. As Swallow comes down the rose, counting heads and tapping the beds of the late risers with his bat. They count off and roll call until they come to thirty two. There's a brief lapse, and a voice tries.
Speaker 2: To cover thirty two. Sallow is in on the ruse.
Speaker 5: Wait a minute, Cheetham, where the hell is Combs? No excuse, sir, girl, trouble shit, he better be back at inspection. At fourteen hundred hours.
Speaker 2: Bear is looking sheepish.
Speaker 5: He what the bed again?
Speaker 9: Serge? Can I have the top bunk? From now on?
Speaker 5: Pleasant dreams? Smith? Sergeant, serve, how did you ever find your way out? Of the Swampsmith's oh airboat.
Speaker 15: I see I trun I was hanging on the back end a cypress tree and the water was real warm, like.
Speaker 5: Sus Harmy Smith.
Speaker 13: All right.
Speaker 5: Fifteen minutes. Everybody looks sharp.
Speaker 1: Interior a company barracks morning. The boys make their beds hospital style and dress. Somebody has a radio on. Johnny Mathis What will my Mary Say?
Speaker 2: Is playing?
Speaker 1: Interior Latrine warning. The first squad d Bop Slouch, Hamley, Lishinski, and Bova are standing at a row of sinks in they're undershorts. Another squad from b Companies on the other side of the wall. Hamley walks along the sinks doing fingernail inspections.
Speaker 8: Make sure the corners were all the dirt collects are as clean as the other parts of your fingernails.
Speaker 1: The shisky looks into the mirror at his butchered head.
Speaker 13: It'll grow back.
Speaker 2: He sprays shaving cream into his hands.
Speaker 5: Let's talk to bud.
Speaker 13: Oh, what do you say?
Speaker 5: Who give you right?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 9: He says?
Speaker 5: One more gentlemanly's yester, and you're out on your ass. That means no pigs.
Speaker 11: You touch your opponent and you out.
Speaker 9: Thanks, and.
Speaker 5: You have to replace Mussard.
Speaker 2: Oh another angle. Hell, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Last time I saw him, he had his head and his loco crying. Yeah, he got a letter from a sweetie. Combes is a romantic man.
Speaker 1: From the toilet stall behind slouching Bebop comes the voice of Trencher.
Speaker 9: If we get grounded, he's gonna be a demnomantic.
Speaker 1: Bear stands at the sink next to Bebop. He's beginning to wash up. Bova is hurrying to finish.
Speaker 5: That's my told play slouts Yeah, yeah, so lend me your brass.
Speaker 1: So after lunch, Bova gathers his kit and exits quickly.
Speaker 2: Trencher talks to Bear.
Speaker 5: Bear, you gotta give me top bunk.
Speaker 13: Okay, there, len me some clean cheese.
Speaker 1: What the hell the soap foam and Bear's hands is turning red with blood.
Speaker 5: A razor field.
Speaker 1: And it echoes around latrines.
Speaker 5: Son of a bit, son of a beit. Get him over to my damn butterfir.
Speaker 1: Cut to exterior parade field day, bare hands, bandaged attention with the rest of a company. Solow addresses the assembly.
Speaker 4: If it's anybody in this company, I swear to God, I don't even want to.
Speaker 5: Think about what's gonna happen to him. But when we find out, and we're gonna find out, somebody's gonna be gator food.
Speaker 8: It's those extortionist bussers and be company, sir, bet to anything.
Speaker 5: Anybody seen coombs. Uh not yet, sir, I ain't going to cover for that idiot. Staff has been spot checking heads. Hey, I have an idea, sir, let's hear it.
Speaker 1: Slouch points tolinquist hanging from his perch high on a mango tree. Cut to exterior parade field day. A company is attempting to march. The boy Linquist, now in uniform, is at the end of the formation. Boys stumble over each other.
Speaker 5: Do it to the left flank, double to the right flank, double to.
Speaker 13: The rear hut pathetic.
Speaker 5: You know your trouble. You gotta know what's free, de cor We're marching to a different drummer. Okay, who knows a song?
Speaker 13: Trencher?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 5: Are they no no a marching song?
Speaker 9: Bova mah, So.
Speaker 5: What's the cadence of the song Blake? My heart is show win. I must be go win. I have to hurry w what will Ma marry?
Speaker 15: Sir?
Speaker 5: Take you Bramo homo, not quite bova bear. You know any good swamp hits?
Speaker 13: Oh? Yeah, hm? Did you ever go to meeting Uncle Joe? Uncle Joe? Did you ever go to meeting Uncle Joe? Uncle Joe? Don't mind the weather win wind, don't both.
Speaker 1: The platoon leader comes to a halt along the edge of the lagoon. The boy see Patterson and Sally Barnes. The girl from the porch sailing out into the bay.
Speaker 16: What's her name?
Speaker 5: Sally Barnes?
Speaker 1: Steer clear cut to exterior dock side Biscayne Bay Day. Commander Patterson and Sally Bonds are taking in the late afternoon breeze.
Speaker 10: So how's your mom making out?
Speaker 17: She liked your letter? In spite of the news, you still care about her, don't you?
Speaker 2: Patterson is silent.
Speaker 9: Well, don't you as you were?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 3: Don't you as you were? Sally me, I'm not one of your criminal orphans.
Speaker 2: Patterson smiles at her defiance.
Speaker 3: Anyway, She's fine. I guess she's a boring zombie. She drives me crazy, but she's fine. She can't stand me and I can't stand her.
Speaker 9: It hurts me to hear you talk that way about your mother.
Speaker 2: Silence.
Speaker 3: You're the only ones she ever loved, Pat, Why didn't you save her? You were her lancelot. When she gets drinking, she talks about her lancelot. That sorry son of a bitch never even knew he knew.
Speaker 1: Cut to Interior a company barracks day. The boys are pulling old uniform pieces out of their lockers and handing them to Sea Cow, who dresses Linquist in the salvaged parts.
Speaker 7: All right, the guy that gives is the exact number of days we can keep link with disguise.
Speaker 9: As comes whin's the.
Speaker 2: Pond, Slouch holds up a large glass cookie jar.
Speaker 5: Put your dollars in here. Come on, let's have them.
Speaker 1: Let's have them boys. Auntie up is Slouch passes among the bunks.
Speaker 5: That includes the parade in the Dad County Fair. Right, Yep, that's right.
Speaker 1: The shisk is at the window of the barracks looking out into Biscayne Bay through a pair of binoculars.
Speaker 18: Pawn's daughter huh us when we were both kids, she used to live over there, and lots and lots of yelling, Hey gentlemen, Auntie up come on, let's go.
Speaker 1: A bottle of coconut rum is passed around the bunks among the boys angle Bahama. Mama holds up a brass coin.
Speaker 5: This gold coin goes to the first man that nails the white Maiden, barnes his dog and lives to tell the tale in front of witnesses.
Speaker 11: Naturally, it brings the honor to a company.
Speaker 5: I'll be there first to spare of the wow.
Speaker 9: And he falls off his bunk drunk.
Speaker 1: They laughed, angle on Leshinsky as he still looks through binoculars out the window at a distant Sally crossfade to exterior boat dock day. Patterson Sally are sitting on patch bench by the bay.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we were getting on each other's nerves, and I have to decide what to do about college. Maybe after he dies, I'll hot out to California.
Speaker 9: College wouldn't be a bad idea for them.
Speaker 10: But you and your dad, maybe you can take this time to patch some fence.
Speaker 17: Oh maybe pigs whistle. It isn't like I haven't tried, Patty.
Speaker 10: He doesn't know me from Maybe you shouldn't give up yet.
Speaker 9: Getting late?
Speaker 17: So are you my father?
Speaker 9: Sally?
Speaker 10: I am I really can't answer that. Oh bullshit, No, Sally, I mean, I really don't know. It's a question I can't answer.
Speaker 9: It's possible, I guess, you guess.
Speaker 10: I mean, it's a question that blew us all apart a long time ago.
Speaker 9: None of us can be sure.
Speaker 18: It's just a.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 10: Anyways, you're here, You're back, and we're glad. He's happy you're here.
Speaker 17: Bullshit, how the hell do you know anything?
Speaker 12: You wife?
Speaker 17: Fuck her?
Speaker 2: Patterson is silent.
Speaker 5: Finally, I'm sorry.
Speaker 10: Me too, kiddo, more than I can say.
Speaker 9: I mean, not about you being here.
Speaker 17: So here I am ain't you guys fucking lucky?
Speaker 9: Anyway, it's good your back. He needs you.
Speaker 17: Oh, give us a break. He doesn't give a shit, and he never did.
Speaker 9: You couldn't be more wrong, right, I think I know? So?
Speaker 17: Who am I?
Speaker 9: Pat You're the best of us?
Speaker 1: They watch the setting sun. Cut to exterior parade field day. A company is marshaling in formation. Linquist is in love with his rifle as he tries to keep in step with the others. Cut to exterior lagoon day. A company is assembled on the grass outside of Patterson's hutch. In the background, seek cow Hamley is talking through the cyclone fence to Missus Linquist.
Speaker 10: Mister Trencher described to tactics and technique of a successful amphibious landing.
Speaker 9: Uh, no, excuse, sir, give me ten.
Speaker 1: Trencher gets down and does ten pushups. Angle cyclone fence, Sea Cow and Missus Linquist. Patterson can be heard in the background.
Speaker 17: Well, if you're sure it'll be all right, let's just.
Speaker 8: Try it for a couple of days and see how it works out. It ain't the ritz, but the food's pretty nutritious. What's the horn?
Speaker 5: Well, Arthur's always wanted to be a soldier.
Speaker 1: She indicates, Linquist sitting at the edge of Patterson's class.
Speaker 8: Okay, Missus Linquist, just so it's our secret angle Patterson.
Speaker 1: He sees sea Cow at the fence. Mister Hamley, Sea Cow double times back to class. Exterior munitions Bunker Day, Slouch and Bee Bop are hidden from Patterson's class. Slouch fits his key into the locked door. Cut to exterior lagoon Day. Patterson diagrams on blackboard, voice it on the grass.
Speaker 10: The first wave takes about twenty five minutes to hit the shore at two minute intervals. The next three waves arrive. The second wave contains the other rifle and weapons companies of each battalion, the third a tank company and support units, the fourth more support units.
Speaker 9: In eight minutes, over.
Speaker 10: Three thousand men and more than one hundred and fifty armored vehicles are ashore.
Speaker 2: Sir.
Speaker 5: What's some question?
Speaker 18: What is it?
Speaker 9: Bova, Sir?
Speaker 5: These three thousand men, How you gonna get them in the boats?
Speaker 9: Good question.
Speaker 10: The success of the entire MAAF hinges on the ability of these two dozen lvtps to get ashore and back in one piece.
Speaker 5: Third, No, No, what I mean is why the hell would they want to get in the boat? Come again, who's going to get in those boats? Infantry?
Speaker 9: Right, primarily is my understanding, sir.
Speaker 11: The ido's servant in the infantry and not being wounded at kild in this century are less than one in three.
Speaker 9: Where'd you hear that?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 9: It sir, stuff and nonsense.
Speaker 10: That's world infantry, Ruskies, goops, Japs, all those kinds of undisciplined, untrained forsheto bastard's cannon fodder. I'm talking us infantry, the most effectively prepared army in the world, the best equipped, training and leadership this country has to offer.
Speaker 1: Exterior Munition's bunker, Day Slouch and Beebop toss a large canvass bag into a storage bin outside the bunker.
Speaker 2: They run to rejoin the class.
Speaker 1: Lindquist, who has been watching from a distance, approaches the bin. He tentatively opens the bag and pulls out an object. He holds a thirty caliber M one clip in his hand. Cut to Exterior Lagoon. Day Patterson is lecturing still.
Speaker 10: And I'll tell you something else, mister. The infantry is the premier branch of the armed forces, the most noble calling, and the most respected and patriotic service one can render one's country.
Speaker 5: So I guess getting killed is the highest form of patriotism.
Speaker 10: Look, Bova, you don't fight a war to get shot. You fight to win. Sometimes they shoot back, that's a fact of life.
Speaker 5: I still don't know what will compel me to get in that damn boat.
Speaker 10: Sir, Class Class, Can anyone give Bova a good reason for getting in the boat?
Speaker 13: Cause if we don't, they'll come get us and rape our sisters.
Speaker 5: I don't have a sister, because it's your duty.
Speaker 18: Listen, It's like this, I watch your back and you watch mine, And if I get in the boat and you don't, I'm gonna blow your fucking head off.
Speaker 2: That's a good reason.
Speaker 1: Cut to interior Gymnasium day. Colonel Barnes is in a wheelchair. Now, damn Ron lower is the mic form at the podium. The boys are in their dress whites. They are just ending the morning prayer.
Speaker 5: Yes, in the name.
Speaker 8: Of a great fred Master, Amen before you.
Speaker 19: Your leave commences at thirteen hundred hours today. There are a few words I'd like to say, as we are all aware, the Dade County Fair is in two weeks loud years, and this is the first occasion in the two years that the school has been invited back to participate. I trust that our appearance that this function will not see a repetition of the.
Speaker 12: Melee that occurred the year before last.
Speaker 19: I know how difficult it is dealing with the taunts of the townies, but reacting with undue force is not our way.
Speaker 12: Of building character. Boys working off major punishments.
Speaker 19: Will be allowed three hours special leave from eighteen hundred to twenty one hundred hours that afternoon to attend the fair. I hope I don't live to regret this uncharacteristic display of generosity.
Speaker 5: Make me proud.
Speaker 12: Now, I think.
Speaker 19: Miss Yakimoto has an announcement to bank about the salt vaccine booster shot.
Speaker 1: Lorico stands at the podium and addresses the audience.
Speaker 14: Sharlie, the United States Armed Forces has provided us with this blessing. Please come to the dispensary beginning at zero eight hundred hours this morning for your shots.
Speaker 12: Thank you, Thank you, Miss Yakimoto.
Speaker 19: Colonel Argamanez dismiss the core.
Speaker 1: Cut to exterior front gate day. The boys are making their exits for the weekend. Slouch and Beebop are furtively lucking a heavy Duffel bag through the gate. Leshinski remains inside the perimeter.
Speaker 5: Hey, don't worry the Sinsk. You ain't missing much. Yeah, just the beautiful women out there. He ain't missing nothing. We'll take care of it for you. Yeah, yeah, save it up for the fair.
Speaker 2: Bear joins them.
Speaker 13: Hold the Wild Mouse Riding two weeks. Oh hope they have the wild Mouse Ride this year.
Speaker 18: Hey Bear, I'm gonna need your boat again. Is it in the same place, but fill her up this time?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 18: Whatever, Lisinski, keep an eye on Linquist in case komb shows up.
Speaker 1: Cut to exterior highway. Bebop and Slouch. You're watching the road for a car.
Speaker 5: You know why he leave her? Jeez, with those tits. He's gotta be crazy, can't he. Don't you say a word about him leaving her. I'm sure she feels bad enough without you asking a lot of stupid questions and no funny stuff. She's my aunt.
Speaker 1: A car pulls up near the gate with a very attractive Cuban woman driving.
Speaker 9: She waves to Beebop behave yourself.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, just so she don't give me a boner.
Speaker 1: Dissolved to exterior Parade Field day. Lishinski walks around the quiet school. It is deserted except for Wheeler in a distance, banging on a mango tree with his sword. He shouts up into the tree.
Speaker 16: Hey mister, come down here.
Speaker 1: That's norm A large mango flies out of the tree and bunks Wheeler on the head.
Speaker 6: You have it, Arthur, get out of that tree.
Speaker 1: Linquist throws another mango. Cut to exterior and Selena's kitchen day. Bebop and Slouch making sandwiches. Aunt Selena, forties in a low cut dress, puts more food out for them.
Speaker 9: Mmm.
Speaker 7: I didn't know for sure whether you'd be alone this time, Mando, or if your friend Antonio would be with you.
Speaker 5: I hope it's all right, Missus Sarah Knita.
Speaker 7: Of course it is, Antonio. You're welcome here anytime, Thank you, ma'am. Anyway, I stopped at the farmer's market. I got these steaks you like, Mando, Antonio. I got some Lebanon Baloni. I couldn't remember if you like it thick, sliced or thin slice, so I got both better safe than sorry. Then I couldn't decide if you like American cheese or Swiss cheese. But I only had the Swiss cheese sliced thin, and then the American slice thick. The man at the counter was a very rude.
Speaker 17: I hope you don't mind.
Speaker 5: Uh huh. You know, is that an dress, Missus Sario Panina.
Speaker 9: Ah, this old thing, and you know.
Speaker 5: It certainly sews off your figure.
Speaker 18: There you're out, amenaism Slaus, you got.
Speaker 1: Airs rum Cut to interior jbuss day, slouching Beebop puddle with their large duffel bag on a bus seat.
Speaker 2: A gun barrel is peeking out the top of the duffel.
Speaker 1: A gas can on the floor one of the passengers of crete ANDAs civilian looks them.
Speaker 12: Over, are you familiar with military procedure?
Speaker 2: Slouch tries to ignore the guy.
Speaker 1: Another angle, a pretty black woman carrying a child makes her way to the back of the bus. She jostles a white woman along the way. Angle slouching bebop, I said, are you familiar with correct military procedure?
Speaker 5: Are you familiar with your teeth?
Speaker 12: Now we skipped a partner, Yes, what's that? Let's go back again, I.
Speaker 19: Said, are you familiar with correct military procedure?
Speaker 5: What's that.
Speaker 12: Removing your hat on the bus?
Speaker 5: Are you familiar with your teeth? This is our stuff? And you know speaking of animals, lady the dog's ass continued.
Speaker 1: They stumble off the bus, the Duffel with a Bezuoka clinking against the door. Anita Taurus waits by a tree nearby. Cut to inter Your a Company. Barrack's day is empty except for Leashinsky lying on his bunk into the radio.
Speaker 6: Don't miss the Kingston Trio Next week at the Dade County Fair.
Speaker 2: Tom Deuley plays.
Speaker 1: Cut to Interior Major Damarn's office day. Madam butterflies with Wheeler and Lindquist.
Speaker 15: Excuse me, Miss Yakamoto is Major Damren around?
Speaker 6: Nobody here?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 16: Where's the officer of the day.
Speaker 6: He's gone? Nobody here now.
Speaker 16: Well, I'll take him over to Colonel Barnes.
Speaker 6: No, no sleeping, nobody gone.
Speaker 16: I got an imposter here.
Speaker 6: Hello, Arthur, are you a soldier now?
Speaker 1: Lindquist smiles. Cut to exterior everglades outpost day. Slouch and Bebop and Anita Taurus motor up to a dock and bear his airboat. Slouch is blindfolded. Bebop drives. Anita sits next to Slouch playfully stroked his cheek, a pistol on her lap. There are assorted Cubans and Cuban Americans gathered on the landing dock. Anita signals a man on the dock who lowers his rifle. He is Miguel sam.
Speaker 5: Chez Guatemala Mievo Mafren.
Speaker 1: Cut two interior shack. The room appears to be an arsenal in command center. Bebop empties the Duffel's contents onto a dimly lit table. Outfalls a Browning fifty caliber machine gun and stand ammunitions and several hand.
Speaker 18: Grenadesen Algusto has mio now can we come.
Speaker 17: Along, gringo? You think this is going to be a vacation.
Speaker 1: Cut to exterior armory window day, Wheeler and Linquist.
Speaker 16: You want to be kumbs, mister Coombs, it is.
Speaker 1: Wheeler grabs her dog tags around, Linquist snack and reads his Linquist stands at the armory window.
Speaker 2: He is at least more ready than his earlier attempt.
Speaker 16: Cooms a two five seven three to two.
Speaker 1: Linquist mouths the words and holds his arms ready for the rifle. His calculations are a bit off, and the rifle soars out the window, past his waiting hands into the dirt. Wheeler cringes. Cut to exterior bull ring day. The bull ring is a white gravel courtyard separating the classroom buildings.
Speaker 2: It is hot.
Speaker 1: Lindquist attempts to march to Wheeler's commands. He's not doing that well all.
Speaker 15: Right, mister Coombs. You only fifteen demerits and that's before you in awell. Seems your asses grass, mister Coombs.
Speaker 16: Let's start with a little double time.
Speaker 9: Can we get a little more on that read?
Speaker 2: Please a little more? Yeah, you're you're in charge.
Speaker 16: You're in charge, all right, mister Coombs.
Speaker 15: You owe me fifteen demerits and that's before you went Awell, seems your ass is grass, mister Coombs. Let's start with a little double time left right, left, right.
Speaker 1: Lind Quist has no idea what Wheeler is yelling about. Wheeler pokes at him with his sword.
Speaker 15: Left right, Come on, get him up, mister movies.
Speaker 1: Lindquist dances to avoid the sword, then waddles away. Cut to interior movie theater day. Tippy Hendron is on screen running from the birds. There's a gas station scene where the car blows up. Sea Cow captivated is alone at a near empty theater. Cut to interior shack Day, slouch blindfolded.
Speaker 2: Here's the men laughing.
Speaker 5: Oh, what's the joke there's about to see us.
Speaker 1: Miguel Sanchez speaks to be Bob in Spanish, then gives a quick command Bebop, takes Slouch and leads him out onto the porch.
Speaker 5: He wants to talk to me for a minute. Say put right here. You know what, No, this is bullshit, don't be stupid and stop playing around.
Speaker 2: Cut to interior shack day.
Speaker 1: As Miguel explains something to be Bob in Spanish, a man about forty five American dressed in a business suit comes out of the back room.
Speaker 12: So is this the young man from cim Fuegos.
Speaker 1: Be Bob is silent. Miguel nods assurance to him. Be Bob then nods affirmation. The man points to spot on the map of Cuba laid out on the table, the southern port city of San Fuegos.
Speaker 12: Then I guess you uh know the Bahia de Corhas.
Speaker 5: Bay of Pigs. See not the best for surfing.
Speaker 12: You want to go home?
Speaker 2: Bebop smiles only if Miamigo comes to.
Speaker 1: Cut to exterior Airboat Day, Slouch, Bebop and Anita returning through the glades. Anita is finally removing Slouch's blindfold.
Speaker 2: Okay, now I don't have to kill you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so they figured you know too much already and I told them you're indispensable and pedro ban So you're in for now. Great, that's great. When do we go? We wait, study you Espanol. Maybe you'll learn something.
Speaker 1: Dissolved to exterior Miami Beach Day. Aunt Selina and Slouch are in conversation while building a sand castle.
Speaker 2: She is not hot turquoise bikini.
Speaker 1: Bee Bob sits under a coconut palm, reading a book with Pat on the cover.
Speaker 7: He didn't seem too happy around Christmas time. So anyway, a month ago, last Tuesday, he went to the Pigley Wiggly for a pack of camels and never came back home.
Speaker 1: Slouch catches a glare from Bebop but ignores it.
Speaker 17: And do you want to know something, Antonio? In my heart, I was deeply relieved Slouch is in lust.
Speaker 7: I mean, I love him, I guess, but I never really liked the son of a bitch most of the time. God forgive me, pardon my French. Anyway, after two weeks I called his mother, who hates me. She informs me that he is in Colombia or Guatemala or God knows where, and it is to ask me so many questions, and that her little prick of a son would let me know when it was my business. Mama's boy, a goddamn mama's boy, the son of a bitch. If only he would have the decency to call me a goddamn son of a bitch.
Speaker 5: Pardon you're French.
Speaker 7: I mean to sneak out the back door again for cigarettes.
Speaker 17: I'm sick of it.
Speaker 1: Selina's eyes are moist as she kneels the sand near the water's edge.
Speaker 5: He'll be back, I mean, rouse a soldier, he has his duties.
Speaker 7: I know, duty, honor, and country and the American dream. All you militaristas are the same. Such macho nonsense.
Speaker 18: Maybe you shouldn't ought to be here if you think like that, maybe you should have stayed in Cuba.
Speaker 17: What gringo de mierda, you know nothing?
Speaker 5: I know Mierda ain't French.
Speaker 17: You think you know all about my life?
Speaker 18: Okay, look you may not have noticed, but had a lot going for you when you're a dental hygienis with a good income in America. I mean if you were in Cuba, your teeth will be fallen out. You have a fridge full of groceries, I mean a TV. And I mean you don't part of me saying so you got a terrific personality and body.
Speaker 5: I mean you name your ticket. Things ain't so bad you're here, I.
Speaker 17: Though you have a smart mouth. No, but you're right.
Speaker 7: Things are good here. But we gave up a lot to get here, A lot. You have Lebanon beloney II too much? Do you think I still have.
Speaker 9: A good bod?
Speaker 5: Are you kidding or what you're knock out?
Speaker 17: What are you all of seventeen?
Speaker 5: I've been around.
Speaker 2: She gets up and walks backwards seductively.
Speaker 7: I bet you have so you think I they'll have a nice bot.
Speaker 2: Selena backs into the waves, and.
Speaker 5: You know what you look like sitting there? A bottic shelley.
Speaker 1: She looks blankly at him as she stands in the surf.
Speaker 5: Venus, you are the birth of Venus.
Speaker 9: More on that you're calling out. She's getting further away from you.
Speaker 5: Venus, you are the birth of Venus.
Speaker 2: It registers with Selena.
Speaker 1: She becomes the painting, placing one hand over her breasts and the other over her delta. She backs into the sea, beckoning slouch to follow. Cut to interior Perez's PX Day, Dave Rubik's take Fireplace in the Jukeboxes. Wheeler enters with his sword banging through a doorway. Linquist follows. He is sweating profusely.
Speaker 16: From his marching Want a chocolate coke? They sit at the counter, two chocolate cokes, Jose, have you on a chocolate.
Speaker 1: Perez has been watching Walter Cronkite on the Evening News.
Speaker 10: E buddhas Monk sacrificed himself today in Saigon, another grizzly act that continues the ever increasing protests against the rule of President DM and his first lady.
Speaker 1: Madam New angle the TV as the picture flashes to a Buddhist monk setting himself a flame. Wheeler relinquists there at the.
Speaker 5: Screen dollars to know the comedies are behind that behind them?
Speaker 2: Sally Barnes enters the PX Wheeler Caesar.
Speaker 15: Comedies are that damn dragon, Lady, one of the two. You know, one of the most important things about the school is you can get yourself a decent education without girls teeing at you all the time.
Speaker 16: I've seen them come and go. Here and behind every major problem is a woman.
Speaker 2: Sally overhears and smiles to herself.
Speaker 16: Take Coombs the where did he knocked up some bimbo in Orlando? The end of a fine military career.
Speaker 1: Cut to exterior looking late afternoon, Sally Barnes is a loan on the boat dock, talking to herself.
Speaker 3: You idiot, you self serving, pompousful Take the truck you want.
Speaker 5: To go to the fair. Take the truck. I don't want the truck.
Speaker 17: I don't want anything from you. You son up a bitch. I don't even want to be here.
Speaker 2: She is startled by a voice behind her. Neither do I.
Speaker 17: What are you doing here?
Speaker 5: Mister?
Speaker 17: This is off limits.
Speaker 3: That's a D five, As I recall, get out of here, get away from me.
Speaker 2: Are you all right?
Speaker 17: I said, fuck off?
Speaker 5: I heard you talking to somebody.
Speaker 17: I was talking to myself, you know, the asshole. What's the matter? Didn't you ever talk to yourself.
Speaker 9: All the time?
Speaker 2: But it's usually a pretty boring conversation.
Speaker 17: Can a person get any privacy in the damfish bowl?
Speaker 4: I haven't asked myself the same question, you know, when I talk to myself, I say, lishinsk you come to this place, you get kicked out of bed at five o'clock in the morning. You can get fed shit on a shingle and you want to barf in your bunk, But that's a D six. Then they shave my head so I look like more time or snurred. Then they march me around in circles for days, carrying a ten pound rifle and one hundred and ninety degree heat with an eleven year old hitler screaming in my face.
Speaker 5: Then I meet this beautiful girl who tells me to get lost. So here I am talking to you.
Speaker 9: That was great.
Speaker 5: I loved it. It's Mortimer's Mortemer right, Let's do it one more time. Keep that same fashion. That was fantastic. I've been asking myself the same question.
Speaker 4: You know, when I talk to myself, I say, Lishinsk, you come to this place, you get kicked out of bed at five o'clock in the morning, and you get fit shit on a shingle. You want to bar from your bunk, but that's a D six. Then they shave my head so I look like Mortimer snird. Then they marched me in circles for days, carrying a ten pound rifle and one hundred and ninetygree heat with eleven year old Hitler screaming in my face. Then I meet this beautiful girl who tells me to get lost. So here I am talking to you.
Speaker 17: You're right, you are boring.
Speaker 1: Cut to exterior Miami Beach day Dusk slouches on the each with Beebop aunt. Selena is in the water while Beebop and slouch argue.
Speaker 5: Just give me the towel. No, come on, it wasn't me. It was the way a wave came along and pulled them right off. You think I'm blind?
Speaker 18: You think I didn't see you copulating in the ocean like a couple of care free sperm wheel copulating?
Speaker 5: What is that some spick word swere're somebody about? You have the culture of a pit. Just give me the damn towel.
Speaker 1: Peebub throws a towel in Slouch's face. Slouch hurries to assist Aunt Selena, who is rapidly turning blue.
Speaker 5: Come on, ain't you ever been in love?
Speaker 1: Slouch takes a towel out into the surf and wraps it around Aunt Selena. Exterior parade field. Evening, Wheeler walks across the parade field with his family Chauffeur Edison.
Speaker 10: On Tuesday, I received a communication saying she would be sailing from Athens to Cape and TB's and was curious to know whether you would be able to join her for the summer in Crete.
Speaker 17: Is she still at that greaseball as far as I know.
Speaker 1: Wheeler Shakespea's had a discust as they approached the front gate.
Speaker 9: I was wondering if you were still interested in seeing ben her this weekend, that you had expressed some previous interest.
Speaker 16: Not this week in Edison duty calls very.
Speaker 9: Good, sir, Are you in need of any cash?
Speaker 18: No?
Speaker 2: Outside the gate.
Speaker 1: Wheeler opens a driver's door to a very long black limousine and usher's Edison inside.
Speaker 16: I'll check with you on Thursday.
Speaker 2: Edison hands Wheeler a cardboard box.
Speaker 9: Your shirt, sir, lighter on the starch this time.
Speaker 2: End of that too,