Speaker 1: The following is the production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go. Are you ready for a break? Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so much for that. It's time for the Break On.
Speaker 1: Dallas Cowboys dot Com were on with mbar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 4: It is Monday, October ninth, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number forty eight. Welcome to the latest edition of The Breakway, Live from SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. And uh yeah, this is gonna be one of those days when we got to try to make sense of what we all watched last night. Cowboys go to San Francisco and take one like they really got it, got destroyed last night, and then San Francisco left no doubt as to who is the better team at least at this point.
Speaker 3: They went forty two to ten.
Speaker 4: And now we get to figure out, like, what does this mean for this Cowboys team going forward? What if anything, do we learn about this team last night in that debacle. And I'll start first with the big picture. Look at that I want to go around the table and tell me what your big picture storyline is coming out of that game for this Cowboys season, start with you.
Speaker 5: Patrick Well First and four, most Couboys got their asses kicked. I mean three out of the first four games they were the ones bullying. But yesterday and Santa Claira, they absolutely got their ass kicked in every phase of the game. They got out bullied, they got out muscled, they got out physical, they got out coached, they got out executed. Pick an adjective and put it after the word out and that's what happened yesterday. The biggest takeaway for me is that they're not ready. They're not ready yet. When the question is posed, is this Cowboys team in twenty two three ready to take the next step and be that contender that gets to the NFC Championship and then to the Super Bowl. This was the measuring stick. This was the measuring stick we can enjoy and we did. We enjoyed the seventy to ten deficit through week two. We enjoyed them bouncing back after the loss of the Jets and handing Bill Belichick the worst loss of his NFL career. But then, what do you do. You go out to Santa Clara and Mike McCarthy suffers the worst point differential loss in his NFL career, forty two to ten. And it's a game where you were outdone and you had self inflicted wounds that made it that much worse. So through five weeks, I mean, still a lot of football to be played. But at a certain point even that phrase gets stale because sooner or later there will not be a lot of football left to be played. You have to turn it on sooner or later, and it needs to be sooner than later. And the crux of it all is you look at the time of possession and it was just whoppingly in favor of the forty nine ers. And it's going to bring me back to a singular point and I'll pass it off to BB And I know Ambro wants to talk about this too. Where the hell is this Texas Coast offense? Where's the explosiveness? Love what I saw with the scheming of Cavante Turpin in the slot. You get him on single high coverage against Oliver the nickelback and you burn him. Okay, where is that? In the aspect of using Cooks and Ceedee Lamb as some of these players. We're still waiting for the explosiveness, still waiting for this offense to come together. You're now five weeks in and we still have no clue what you're capable of.
Speaker 2: Where is it? Where is it? Feel good about me talking about this? Go ahead, I'll go last, you go last. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think Patrick completely nailed everything that needed to be addressed on that.
Speaker 2: Where I'm was, where I was a little bit lost.
Speaker 6: Dallas only created seven pressures last night, and the pressures that they were able to get actually resulted in big plays for the forty nine ers, and that's usually the recipe for at least causing the forty.
Speaker 2: Nine ers some problems.
Speaker 6: From what we observed in the previous the four games was when you watch brock perty he'll throw off his back foot. He will, you know, he'll take a sack, he'll throw it away. You know, he will do something that doesn't result in a big play. Your pressure started off well, the tip balls that you you know you're able to get. The sack that you got from Curse was a big play. And then after that though it was downhill. You gave up a play of thirty eight. You give up a play a nineteen. You give up a play of twenty three and you give up a play of eight. You know, so here you are. All these throws that Perty's making, he's facing pressure ended up being huge plays for the forty nine ers. They are They're a well coached team. They they scheme very well. They find ways to get their players in position. But it's really not all about scheme. It's what Patrick's talking about. They physically beat you up, and they beat you up with the you know, we talked a lot about the right side of that offensive line for the forty nine ers, a tip of the cap, helmet, stickers, game balls, whatever you want to give them. That crew held up pretty well on that right side. Mckivitz and Beaufort did a great job over there. You know, they had to double Michael a couple of times. They had a great plan for him when you watched him. They even moved him over on the other side to try and get some work against Trent Wimson. They were helping Trent Williams over there. So they had a plan for hand how to handle.
Speaker 2: Micah in this football game.
Speaker 6: But you know, it's the huge plays on defense is you know, I think they were just backbreaking plays.
Speaker 2: And you know a great job of.
Speaker 6: The forty nine ers kind of understanding what your coverage was going to be, how to get the matchups that they were able to.
Speaker 2: You know, whether the one time I thought it was brilliant.
Speaker 6: They they take us check and put him in motion. He's next duke, but he's got Hooker over the top of him in coverage. Well they run him in motion, which makes Hooker go across, and then all of a sudden it's one on one on the outside and now the ball's going ayuk for a big game. So what they do is they affect you with the movement and then you're one on one and then.
Speaker 2: It's a big play.
Speaker 6: So tip of the cap to the forty nine ers for the way they played physically, the way that they uh, the way they schemed you. And but yeah, your your bread and butter is your ability to play defense and get pressure. And the times you got pressure, you gave some huge chunk plays and that that was that was a big problem in that game.
Speaker 7: I thought by the time you were done, I was gonna be able to get my heart rate down. I'm pretty trying to contain myself, say.
Speaker 8: With your chiss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I don't know.
Speaker 7: I mean, just okay, hold on, let me get my I'm just very trying not to cry because of the game. I'm just very emotional right now with all the heartbreaking, scary stuff that's currently happening in the world right now. And then okay, you gotta sit here and talk about this, and I apologize for my emotions right now, just a lot going on, but then we got to sit here talk about this game, and right now, specifically talking about football, I just feel like there's not a whole lot of hope or like things to look forward to. You start the season thinking you have all the right tools, and once again and again, these tears are not because of football, So let me okay, I'm not crying because of football. But you start a season having new hopes again and thinking you got all the right weapons, and once again, by the all the amount of years I've been here, I'm like, every time I've learned my lesson, I'm like, I'm not gonna be full. I'm not going to be full fall for it. But heading into the season, this was I really felt that they have all the right tools, the right coaching, the right players, the right talent. You were changing system offensively and you think, okay, maybe that's gonna be improvement. You know, maybe Mike McCarthy learned from what Kellen Moore was doing, not doing what was right, what was wrong, and decided to kind of change things around and operate a different way and implement that for it to be getting better. And it hasn't. The offense hasn't been click. And then all of a sudden you have the defense that you were holding onto all this season and then all of a sudden starting to crumble and a lot of injury. They've taken a hit there, but there were no signs of anything that was exciting or anything that you think and you talk about all the pressure like that was not present there. So every facet of the game, there were so many things, so many different things that were lacking. And it's hard, and I get that there's a lot of football to play. It's a long season, but currently this Monday, it just feels like, how are you going to fix this problem fast enough? How are you going to improve on defense when now you're starting to get injuries and crumble. How are you going to fix this offense that just cannot simply click, and we know they have playmakers, but things are just simply not working for them. So it's just it's tough to see kind of the big picture. It's tough to see the areas where you fell, Like even last weekend against the Patriots, where you thought the offense was starting to kind of click and get moving and then all of a sudden, all of that goes away against the team that keeps beating you. This is the third time in a row. So it's just like one of those things where you're like, Okay, what what do we currently have to look forward to right now? What's an area of Like you're like, okay, well we have this, well we have Mica Parsons. Well that didn't he didn't show up last night, or so it's just it's hard to find anything positive at this moment.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it's what you have to look at is that is a unique football team that you played last night. That is a there's a reason why, and I think a lot of circles people would have them even before the Dallas game, would have them as the best team in the National Football League. You could talk about Buffalo and you know, they went across the you know to England and got beat by by Jacksonville, so they're kind of back.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: Last week they have they beat the Dolphins, so they're up and yeah, you know, you're going to play some games along the way. Yeah, there's gonna be some difficult matchups. We'll see how you know, this Charger one plays out. The injuries are a tough part of this thing. Losing Digs a few weeks ago, very difficult.
Speaker 2: Thing to have to deal with.
Speaker 6: But the thing that kind of I know about going and moving on and you try and put it behind you, you try and learn, is that that team you play, I don't think I'm going to face another one like that.
Speaker 2: I really don't.
Speaker 6: You know, we'll see what Philadelphia brings. Heck, we'll even see what the Chargers.
Speaker 2: Bring offensively and scheme wise.
Speaker 6: But the way that they the way their personnel is, the way that they're coach, the way that they They smothered you yesterday, and there's very few teams in the league that could really smother.
Speaker 2: You, and they did a great job of that yesterday.
Speaker 6: So your hope is that there are there things, you know, McCarthy, the thing that bothers me the most and maybe this is where I'm kind of sad like you in this way. Is Mike McCarthy stands up in front of you guys last night in the media and says, I.
Speaker 2: Need to be better.
Speaker 6: You know, I need to be better with the red zone stuff. I need to be called the game I need to do, you know. And I'm like, okay, but I need you to be better now. I don't need you to every week tell me you need to be better, sir. You're the primary play caller. You're the one that decided because of your position that you can move on and take the play calling role and then bring in Brian Schottenheimer to help you and then make a bunch of changes offensively. One of the things we talked about at training camp was we were worried about with all the changes in the coaching staff. I know, I was, you know, and you're thinking, well, this defense, this offense really just isn't clicking like it needs.
Speaker 2: To click, and you know, is it.
Speaker 6: I don't recognize that quarterback out there, the quarterback I've seen play here has Maybe maybe I'm okay with living with the interceptions if I know he's gonna if I know he's going to attack and throw the ball eight yards every time he throws the ball. But if he's throwing the ball short on third and five and they're getting three yards.
Speaker 2: You know that That's That's.
Speaker 6: The thing that makes me pause and think, well, this needs to be fixed. And maybe it needs to be fixed in a way I don't know right now, but there's I know I'm not going to play a defense and an offense that's like that bunch until later on in the year.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that's what And you circled it back around in a great way for me and to to segue to the following.
Speaker 3: That's the problem I have with it.
Speaker 5: It's that you can we believe they can handle the Philadelphia Eagles, even if you split that series. We know they can handle the Giants. We know they can handle the Commanders. You can handle the majority of your division to the point where you you could probably stack on some outside wins. And yeah, I believe this team will get into the playoffs. I do believe they're going to get tough though. Yeah, it might be absolutely agree especially if they keep playing up and down exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but once you get in the.
Speaker 5: Playoffs, let's say you do go on a heater, right, you get hot at the right time.
Speaker 2: Guess who you're going to likely meet in.
Speaker 5: Them the same team that beats you the last three times. But two out of those three times demoralized you, bullied you, humiliated you.
Speaker 2: That's what's concerning for me.
Speaker 5: There is now very clearly a red and gold wall between the Cowboys and any possible shot at a super Bowl.
Speaker 4: But here's the thing, and I agree with what you guys are saying, but I'm a little bit in a situation where the best way I can describe it is, if you've ever known anybody who's had to deal with infidelity in their marriage, I've known some people like that, and one of the things they always say is it now makes me question everything, Like I start to think back, like what did I do? What did I not see? Who is this person I thought I knew? All those things kind of come up. And that's what's happening to me right now with the Cowboys. I'm looking at them now and I'm saying I thought going into this game they were something that this game has made me rethink if I think they're that right.
Speaker 3: They have beaten some really really bad teams.
Speaker 4: Let's be clear the way the Giants are playing and the way New England's playing, they may be two of the worst. They may be picking one and two next year. They like they are playing horribly. So we know the Cowboys beat up on some bad teams, right, They beat the Jets, just not a great team. They lost Arizona in convincing fashion, it wasn't a close game, and then they get it handed.
Speaker 3: To them in San Francisco. And what I'm left with is is this.
Speaker 4: Team just not only just not good enough to be San Francisco, but are they really more of an average team or maybe a little bit above average that can really destroy bad teams that can't figure them out early. You get a lead on them, and they can just destroy those teams. And when it comes to the average to better teams, they're gonna be kind of fifty to fifty and the best teams in the league. Maybe they can't compete in that way. Like that's the part that now I'm left wrestling with because I don't have enough of the sample size to tell me what I thought I saw of this team going back to training camp is what actually exists.
Speaker 7: Well, and then there was nothing in this game like literally nothing other than the two touchdowns or like seeded Lamb getting in the end zone and then you got Kavanta turping sorry in there as well. Other than that, there's like nothing else that was promising. You talk about a game that we've been talking about since they lost against them in the playoffs. We've this has been building up, building up, building up week one. The media every time, every week it gets brought up, forty nine ers, forty nine ers, and then we get here and you just thought, and I shouldn't say this because I'm not them, I'm not in there. I don't know how they feel, but you just thought you would see a lot more fight in the game, and there wasn't that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dak.
Speaker 6: Last week, you know, with Todd Archer's question was asked about pissed, you know, and he was and that was his Yeah, that was his attitude about it. And you're absolutely right. There was a lot talked about. There was even things changes made to the roster, you know, in getting preparation to try and find a way to beat San Francisco. So that's what makes it even more demoralizing. If you're you know, if you're you know, a cot if you're you know on that side of the building over there, that a lot was put into this game, and you know they I'm not going to say they weren't ready to play, because I think they were ready to play.
Speaker 2: I just think the team they played and and I'm not sitting there patting myself, but I picked that team. I picked San Francisco to win.
Speaker 6: When we all went around the room, I just felt like but I felt like the game was going to be a lot closer. I just some of the things scheme wise, gave me pause that can the Cowboys really handle this? And obviously they can't. They can't handle what San Francisco does defensively, and they surely can't handle uh, you know, at least in this matchup. The previous two they played pretty well on defense. The defense wasn't the problem. Everybody was kind of hanging their hat on Well, wait a minute, Dan Quinn's got to handle on this Kyle Shanahan offense. But Kyle Shanahan said, no, not today, Dan, not today. And you know, so that's that's your problem right there, that that you know what things you we all thought were really not And to your point, they have it, you know, have they you can only play who's on your stat Absolutely, you can only play so But you know, you lose to Arizona, and you know, you're like, well that was bad, you know, after you see what Arizona's doing right now. But I don't think there's any shame to lose into San Francisco because of the type of team they are. But if this kind of spirals into continued bad play, and to Patrick's point, this Texas Coast offense that we don't ever see any movement from.
Speaker 7: It, you gotta score, like and your defense kept you in the first half game and can you exhausted your defense and yet you're not able to score at some point your defense can do it all for you.
Speaker 6: And then and this is the conversation you have in June in the off season, when you say, Week seven, don't be surprised at Brian Schottenheimer's calling plays. That's the conversation that you start in June. You know, if you start to look at the season and you say, and we do it in the radio all the time, you know, talk you have, don't be surprised that Brian Schottenheimer's calling plays. After the after the Chargers game, if you know that's the you know, something has to be done differently. But also we talked about this, they changed their entire coaching staff.
Speaker 2: Now that was something that we were concerned about. It's not working the way it needs to work. Right now, all that's a good problem.
Speaker 3: We're going to take our first bake break.
Speaker 4: We're going to come back and we'll dive into a little more of the details of this game. We'll talk about the offense and the defense and where things really went wrong.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll be back to Dallas. Cowboys dot Com reo.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible planing device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five g for you for details.
Speaker 11: Cowboys fans, after that move, We've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 2: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 5: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys, and now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile Banking app, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica. Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 3: Everica is only available in the English language.
Speaker 11: Must download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on Selec mobile devices.
Speaker 3: Message in doat raate ma apply I remember FDIC.
Speaker 12: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would you.
Speaker 4: Dear doctor?
Speaker 3: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 9: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being.
Speaker 8: The soldier to cry out?
Speaker 12: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do now, just to remind her that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 8: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipments, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the break.
Speaker 6: Check out the latest and greatest addition to the tours at AT and T Stadium in the Star in Frisco. Meet Jerry Jones an interactive experience. Get a peek behind the curtain and into the fastening life of Jerry Jones. Sure it's interesting right now. With a focus on innovative fan experience in partnership with AT and T, this interactive technology gives tourgers the opportunity to ask mister Jones a variety of questions. For more information and to book your tour, visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash Tours.
Speaker 3: Welcome back.
Speaker 4: We were in the second segment of the Break Life in the s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. This segment is brought to you by blockchain dot com. Dang, All right, here we go. Let's talk about the offense yesterday. They had one hundred and ninety seven total yards that's it, fifty seven on the ground, one hundred and forty passing. Three of their verse four possessions were three and outs. One of the possessions they had a fumble on first down, which, by the way, if you haven't had a chance to go back and look at that as you talk about Brian the all twenty two players, go go see Fred Werner Warner and it wasn't necessarily when he knocked the ball out. You got to see what happened earlier in the play with Tyler Biadish to tell you everything you need to know. Like as as we were about to go in there, I mentioned that my guy Marcus Banger that I made up on Friday, and he showed up at this game, we need it.
Speaker 7: What was mixed?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but but no, Fred Warner, he had an impact on that game and on that play particularly, But that was just one of those six of those six first possessions. You're talking about five of them ending within three three plays and one of them being a turnover.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh, and then they do get a touchdown on one of them. So my question for you guys is, if you had to narrow it down, and I don't know that you can even do this, but if you have to narrow it down to the thing that you think was the biggest problem on the offense, what was the biggest problem on offense yesterday?
Speaker 6: I think the fact when I watched that game and I got it, watched it at six this morning again, and uh, the thing that bothered me the most was I felt like that if they blocked the front, they could get the ball to these receivers down the field, and these receivers didn't get open and to save their you know what it was, it was tough.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know when you look at Ward and and uh, those guys, I mean that it's it's it's it was impressive leonor those guys they did a great job of running with these receivers. The safety play was really good for them. Well you mentioned the linebackers. You know, there was there was times where Dak just really it felt like he wanted to throw the ball a little bit more down.
Speaker 2: The field and they just couldn't do it.
Speaker 6: They just could not get I think Michael Gallup was it was a struggle for him to get off the jam.
Speaker 2: Lamb was.
Speaker 6: You could tell he was a little bit frustrated by what was going on. But you know, the one big play that he made was Dak climb in the pocket and then him coming back to the ball, and you kind of thought, okay, see those is what I thought they were going to be capable of being able to do. But this this this receiving group, it was a rough, rough day. And if you look at the offensive line, Tyler Smith was not very good in this football game, and I think that that hurt them a little bit.
Speaker 2: Be oddish was it was a struggle.
Speaker 6: Still had a couple of moments, but you know, there were there were some times I just think if I had to point to one thing, it was really about the wide receivers in ability to shake loose in that secondary that had given up some plays.
Speaker 5: I think you hit both points. I think both points are tied together. The Cowboys offensive line, first time they've played together since Moses split the Red Sea, and it kind of showed as far as lack of chemistry and some of those combo blocks and things like that. So, you know, they struggled, Like Brian said Terrence Steele, who has played exceptionally well, he struggled on a couple of reps. And Tyler Smith struggled on a couple of reps and be out of struggle on a couple of reps. And I mean when you combine that with lack of separation from your receivers, yeah, you know you're in a really bad spot. I'm sitting here looking at these separation rates from from yesterday, and Jake Ferguson as a receiving target was the only one one who had a respectable average separation where he was four point seven. Other than that, Ceedee Lamb two point six, Gallop one point nine. Even Turpin on his big play, he's still average two point four. I mean, they just were not getting away from these these cornerbacks. And you know, I think Jake Ferguson was the cool hand Luke of the group, so to speak. I mean, we saw Dak try to take that shot on the you know, deep over the middle to schoolmaker and that didn't work out. But once he started getting Jake involved, here's one target for Jake Grab, another target for Jake Grab, another target for Jake Grab. But then it stopped like there was there were no more targets for Jake Ferguson after he went three for three and he was the only one who was delivering. So when you see lack of separation combined with your offensive line struggles and you actually find a solution, the solution being Jake Ferguson, and then you get away from that, that's concerning so that it's just a mosh pit of unwillness that we saw in Santa Clarias.
Speaker 6: It's sad when Mike when Pollard was like your best pass blocker in this game, I mean, you really, I mean he picked up a couple of times that gave him a shot to at least have a chance to make a play.
Speaker 2: But you know, it was tough.
Speaker 6: I just I just felt like that the cowboys out on the outside could win a little bit more than they were because the metrics, the numbers, everything, even the tape tape showed you that the forty nine ers had had some problems underneath with some of their coverages, but they challenged Dallas's receivers, and Dallas's receivers just weren't up to it yesterday.
Speaker 7: Do you guys know what happened between CD and Dak. I heard about it. I didn't even watch it where there was like some kind.
Speaker 5: Of it just looked like it was just frustration spilling over. Basically, we're talking about the offense that was struggling last night and could not get things going at all. And you mentioned in earlier ceed Lamb, he you know, and we're talking about it. Lamb and the other receivers. They just couldn't get the separation. And then when they got the separation, where was the ball going? Was it going to them? Was it not going to them? You look at that deep play over the middle of Brandon Cooks. If I know, Dak was under the rest and he was escaping out of the pocket, and that's a very difficult throw, level of difficulty on the scale of one to ten eleven. But we've also seen Dak make that throw. So if that ball gets out a little bit sooner he throws it more up more upfield, and credit had it he had some separation. Yeah, and credit the Fred Warner because holy crap, what is this dude made up?
Speaker 3: He covering? Feel like that's that's.
Speaker 5: But nonetheless, if the ball is this placed where it needs to be placed, maybe a little bit higher field, Cooks at least has a shot, and we're talking about a completely different ball game because it steals momentum again in a big way. So it was just it's frustration boiling over. And when you're see thee Lamb and you know, a couple of weeks ago, you hang almost one hundred and fifty against the Jets, and then you kind of struggle a little bit against the Cardinals. You saw him frustrated against the Cardinals. They bounce back against the Patriots and then here we go again. So I think it's I think it's the offense, the offensive frustration because when your Lamb and your Dak and your Cooks and your gallop and you're you know, Ferguson, you know what this offense can be based off what we saw in training camp. And when we say we're going off of what we saw in training camp. This isn't a bad defense. This is one of the best defenses in the league. So these are the training camp practices. So if you can do it against that defense, then you should be able to do it against the forty nine ers defense. The fact that you can't is what's concerning, and that's what frustrated well, those guys.
Speaker 7: When it comes to frustration, and that's natural, we all go through it, especially when you're competing in games and things are not going your way, You're gonna get frustrated. But that carrying over, Like, at what point, and I'm not saying this is the case whatsoever, but we see it happen around the NFL. What point does your team, your offense, let's say that group of guys start kind of becoming disconnected and let's say not really believing what McCarthy is trying to sell and implement in them because it's simply not working more with them when you go, when you go from what you had with Kellen Moore and then being the number one offense in the league and then now you're consistently having these struggles. And that's not me putting everything on McCarthy whatsoever. Because you're just.
Speaker 6: The forty nine ers either if you look at it, I mean the two games, Yeah, I mean absolutely. But I think the thing the biggest thing to me about with CD, I think CD is trying to fight for a contract. I think that's something that's weighing on him right now about his situation, you know, the lack of some productivity. We mentioned about the jet. You know, he wants to every week. He's a super competitive guy, but he's also fighting to get a new deal. And I think that's something that you know, that weighs on a lot of these guys. Mind, if I'm not doing I'm not having success, why do they you know, will they move on for me?
Speaker 2: Will they not pay me? Will they not you know all those things.
Speaker 6: So I think there's a culmination of the offensive frustration player frustration because he seemed like I've got to perform in order to to you know, get my contract taken care of. That's that's difficult, that's tough to go through for a play.
Speaker 7: But I mean in a game, are you thinking that way though?
Speaker 6: Well, I think he's thinking like if I don't, if I want to do well, I want to show these I want to I want to help us win. But by helping us win, I feel like I'm going to get taken compensated for that. You know, that's I think that I think that's something that's a little bit of a you know, from from hearing from talking to people, City really liked killing Moore, he really likes killing more. He liked the offense, he liked that style of offense. And so it's a transitioner. It's a change for a lot of these guys. It's just not been real smooth right now.
Speaker 4: It just has Going back to your your question, Amber, I do think and Dak talked about it last night, this is a critical time for this team because after you suffer a loss like that, if you don't have the right kind of culture, it's easy to start seeing fractures. You can start seeing fractures between the quarterback and the receivers, you can start seeing fractures between the defense and the offense. There are a number of different ways where you can start seeing the team start to fracture because people start pointing fingers, right, And that's where Dak was like, you know, this is a moment when we have to rely on our culture, on our locker room on the guys in that locker room and stay tight, because not only do they have last night to look at, but now everybody around the country is looking at.
Speaker 3: Them saying, yeah they ain't is good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we knew they wasn't as good, right, and they've got to deal with that all the way through the season.
Speaker 3: No matter what happens.
Speaker 4: Everybody's still going to pay back to but San Francisco, right and so and so. To answer your point, yes, this is a moment when there definitely can be fractures and you have to worry about how does this team respond to this, because if you don't stay tight, if they don't stay tight, this thing can get off.
Speaker 3: The rails really quickly. Yeah, you know, you got fifty three men in that in that locker room. It can get off the rails really quickly if they don't stay tight.
Speaker 6: They have some incredible record though, and it was nine one, ten and one, yeah this last one, Yeah.
Speaker 2: After a loss.
Speaker 6: So you know, if you're you know, if you're if you're thinking of that, if you want to hang your hat on something some hopium, then that's something that you know that's back hope.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're back to hoping, you know, we bring it out every year.
Speaker 6: You want to hopiam that that's you know McCarthy, will you know they find a way to rally. They find a way to But they're gonna have to They're gonna have to play. They're gonna have to play better. But I think a lot of it has to do with the with the problems they had yesterday, was a lot on that team that they played.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that team.
Speaker 6: Is that's no fun that I bet you if I go back, I bet you we go back and add up games after you play that team. How many times you think the team's lost after they've played the forty nine Ers. The Steelers used to be that way. You played the Steelers the next week, you were guaranteed to lose. They took that much out of you. This team, this team out there, they tackle, their physical, They play with finesse when they have to. They scheme guys open. The quarterback is is relentless in the way he reads and find guys. All his touchdown passes were outside the pocket, all of them. Bo just move, move, move around, book find a guy here. Find But you just see that that's a hard team to defend. And it's an even harder team when it comes to with that front the way they played, but their their secondary really I think won that game for him yesterday by the way they covered, and we hadn't seen that. We've seen their front play great, we haven't seen their secondary cover like that. I'm sure they're thinking of the same thing right now watching that tape.
Speaker 4: We're gonna take our final break when we come back. I did want to ask you, Brian. I know you were able to watch the tape. I wanted to ask particularly about that first touchdown in San Francisco, Scoot and what you saw on that play.
Speaker 2: We'll be back.
Speaker 4: We'll talk a little bit more about the defense. As Dallas Cowboys dot Com re you.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G fast reliable, secure, it's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 13: Don't put off getting your oil change. Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room.
Speaker 2: Yep, you hurt that correctly.
Speaker 13: Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 8: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, Gator utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the break.
Speaker 2: All right, hy about this?
Speaker 6: Dallas Cowboys Game time powered by Lenovo Lenovo Yeah, the official gaming platform and community of the Dallas Cowboys. Sign up now competing Madam twenty mad Madam Madden twenty.
Speaker 2: Four for a chance a whole different Way, Way Different game. Two tickets to the VIP experience.
Speaker 6: The twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys home game qualifiers begin on October sixth and run through the thirteenth. Learn more and register at Dallas Cowboys game time dot Com Welcome back.
Speaker 4: It is a final segment of the Break Life in s WBC Mortgage Studios.
Speaker 2: At the Star.
Speaker 4: I will say this, I woke up this morning after only a couple hours of sleep, and I felt horrible, as you typically do after a game like that, when you've been traveling and have no sleep.
Speaker 7: Especially you losing in all fastest, just like the you.
Speaker 3: Really have to bring you really have to bring it up.
Speaker 4: Feel But one thing I have noticed is low blow talking about it helps. Sitting here having this conversation with y'all, I actually feel a little bit better.
Speaker 3: So I'm hoping for those people out there listening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, people that out there listening, I'm hoping they're getting the same thing, right.
Speaker 2: I hope as.
Speaker 4: They're listening to the show, not that they feel better about the team, but just actually just going through it. Talking get out just makes you feel a little bit flippers.
Speaker 3: Yeah right now, help a little bit.
Speaker 6: Maybe maybe the Eagles, maybe the Lions. I don't know who else you're gonna play has an offense like that.
Speaker 4: Oh me tell you this December, if we don't know enough about this team, December, because you got Miami. You got Seattle at home, you got Philly at home. Then you go to Buffalo, then you go to Miami, then you get I'm sorry, Troy at home and Sandwich. Between all that, you got the Washington Commanders on the front end and on the back end, which they're not a good team, but they always play Dallas. So you look at that like November through December January timeframe.
Speaker 7: That is not hope you're talking about here.
Speaker 4: That's why, that's why I was so worried, Like man, I thought the beginning of the seasons when they had to really put some stuff together, because that's going to be tough. Even if they would have been the team I expected them to be.
Speaker 3: That was going to be tough. But you lose that game in Arizona, that's a big one.
Speaker 4: You needed to win that game, and I got San Diego coming up, San Diego La Charges coming up, and this becomes a very very important game for you. So there's there's a lot more football to be played. But man, it certainly is something that that change. You've changed your outlook right now based upon what you saw.
Speaker 5: That which you certainly can't do not. I mean, like like Brian said, this is one of those games where kind of like the Pittsburgh of yesteryear. I mean, you get brutalized, and I mean, look at the way the injuries are racking up, yl I mean, you were getting brutalized. But you better find a way to pull it together because you don't want to drop too straight going into the bye. We you can have to sit on that for two weeks that you just you just.
Speaker 2: Don't so play forward, change ready, figured.
Speaker 7: It out, figured out, you're calling it now.
Speaker 2: I said in June.
Speaker 6: Oh god, I said in June, I said, you know you always do crazy predictions. I said, week seven, Yeah, I said, Week seven, my crazy prediction. You know Nick always loves crazy predictions. Nick Eatman, give me your crazy prediction. You know, we used to do that all the time. And that was my crazy prediction that to Brian shot and becoming plays a Week seven.
Speaker 4: I mentioned before we went to break, I wanted to talk specifically about that first touchdown.
Speaker 2: I got you.
Speaker 4: I think it was emblematic of what happened throughout the game as far as just ways that it seemed like San Francisco was able to confuse the Dallas defense and make big plays out of it. Brian, what did you see in that nineteen yard touchdown to Kittle?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's the one that's uh, And we were talking about it during the break it. It really was interesting because the secondary I thought was in good shape. Across the board, they really wore. Everybody was plastered on their guys. And but what happens is when Kittle goes up the field, it freezes Hooker and he's kind of like, is he going to break outside to his right or is he going to break inside? And it just it paused him enough that when he broke to the inside, he really couldn't adjust fast enough to get that over to him. But Hooker might have thought Bell was playing. And then again, here's an inexperienced guy playing. And that's not an excuse, but here he is in a situation where he's playing as a drop linebacker basically, and he's and he's trying to get depth and he's looking for a crosser to his right, and but Kittle hadn't crossed yet, and so he's still kind of dropping and then he stops and he looks back and there's Kittle now crossing, and now it's too late, so he's in behind, so now you have and it was a great job by you know, by Purty defined Kittle is a great route. The routes, all the routes that Kill scored on were actually pretty cool routes. But he's a really kind of a loose runner, and so when his about a nod and it kind of gets you to overplay and then he goes back inside. He did that to uh to Donovan Wilson on the touchdown, kind of nodded Wilson and then he got him back inside.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was everybody was in good shape.
Speaker 6: It's just the quarterback found the one guy where the Cowboys were really struggling to try and try and to take care of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it just it seemed to me like it was a little bit I don't know, I question what the assignments were because it looked like everybody said, it looked like everybody was in man coverage except for whoever would have been on killed right, And if it was Hooker, then my thought is like, why is Hooker twenty yards off of him, like he's almost in the end zone and you know in the red zone that Kittle is an issue, Like I would have just thought they would have had a little they wouldn't have given him as much free range to run if you're gonna man him up on that safety. But however it came out it certainly that would seemed to be the theme of the night is they always found that one guy that they found a way to get him open, and to get him open in a situation where he could not only be open, but be open and catch the ball and be running and keep running after he Mexican.
Speaker 7: Now, I were able to do quite a few big plays. And like we talked about it last week, you brought up the whole how many big plays the Cowboys give up versus how many big plays the forty nine Ers make?
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you one. I'll tell you one.
Speaker 6: The whole I could be described if you watch the forty nine ers last touchdown, the toss sweep to Jordan Mason, and that kind of symbolizes everything that went wrong in in the in the night. And because it's you get everybody got blocked.
Speaker 2: I mean it's the motion block they got. They got to.
Speaker 6: Micah hooked, they kicked out that Wilson got kicked out.
Speaker 2: In the play.
Speaker 6: They get a guy up on vander Esh they you know, they get Trent Williams up on vander Esh you know, Buford cuts off Clark.
Speaker 2: And you know, and then you know, Noah gets pushed. Why. I mean it just everything that could have gone wrong.
Speaker 6: I mean a if you talk about a perfectly blocked play like every like if you were to draw it up and say, okay, this is the way we want to run it. That that play right there. If you said, hey, what happened in the Sam Francisco Dallas game, show him that one play and everywhere they go, oh.
Speaker 2: Okay, because it was it was it was.
Speaker 6: It was well designed, it was well executed, It was well blocked. It was terrible on the Dallas side, the angles that the safeties took, how wide people got kicked out, Your best player got hooked, your linebacker gets cut off from the inside. Everything about that play was how your night went. That It's just it's you. You'll see it and you'll go, okay, I know what he's talking about.
Speaker 5: Shanahan. Just it was a masterclass of of how to get how to scheme your playmakers hoping uh. You talked about the first George Kittle touchdown. Talk about the one known first down the trick play right, So they come out, it's first and ten. It's a single back formation with CMC in the backfield, and of course you're looking at CMC and and if you're the defense, you're also looking at Deebo Samuel right there to the left. And then they motioned George Kittle over and it looks like he's going to be Chip Hilp. So he feigns the block just enough, to his credit, just well enough to make them bite on that. So what happens on this.
Speaker 7: Motion stop it?
Speaker 4: But they're getting all their preseas. Yeah, He's like they're putting themselves in a position. How many times yesterday did you see them get McCaffrey isolated with LV like, because when they go in motion, they're trying to see how you're going to adapt to that, and based on that, they're going to run the play that suits them and gives it.
Speaker 6: They're going to come back to a play. Yeah, play a next play or three plays yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, to be that offense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's just this. Uh you look at this play over and over again, and I mean roses to shout to Shanahan for this because this was just nasty. It was nasty because you're worried about CMC and this first first and tend you're thinking, okay, they got they're up thirteens. Early're gonna go ahead and do what they got to do here, hand it off maybe, But then it's like, oh, crap, here's de Bo on the snap. He goes in, so eyes on de Bo, George Kittle fangs the block and then he releases out. Now, if you're Jordan Lewis, you're like, crap because now George George kill is blowing past you. Now as you had your eyes so by the time you had just we his speed. If you even I'm leaving And that was it. So that was it. And you know, flip it back to Purty and what does pretty do? Deep ball down the right hand side, And that was one of those big things that that was more less.
Speaker 6: It's unfortunate on that play too, because Osa wins on the play. Osa wins on the block, but he hesitates, He hesitates, and then he's trying to kind of find the ball and he realizes that Perty has now got it and that little hesitation allowed Purtty just enough time to get it down the field for the touchdown.
Speaker 3: That's a wrap for us.
Speaker 4: We didn't even get to our player evaluations. We'll bring that back tomorrow. We gotta still talk about guys like Dak and Cooks and what's happening with this defense. Where was Micah yesterday? We got a lot to hit up. We'll do that tomorrow. Till then, for Patrick Walker, Brian brought us Ambergarcia. I'm Derek Eagleston. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 10: E