Speaker 1: You realize if you go see a symphony play Beethoven's fifth, you're watching a Beethoven cover band. Right, it's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm one more thing.
Speaker 1: I've always liked that show, I know. But before we get to Beethoven, Katie, you mentioned you watched the Menendez brother series. Is that anything.
Speaker 2: I have not finished it yet. I've gotten through the first three episodes. Is it pretty good? It's yeah, it's really good. It it starts to get really sexual though.
Speaker 1: Well that's so, I don't remember what we knew at the time and what we just found out recently. But the reason that evil Giscone in la is talking about, you know, looking at this new evidence, and some of the original lawyers think the Menendez brothers should get out, and Gascone I think said today that they could be out in time for the holidays. It's I need to take a look at this series. I mean, it was, you know, is a story that got lot of America's attention. I mean, the horrible idea of you know, your kids killing you like that in such a violent way, right, But now the new information is there was so much horrible sex abuse coming from.
Speaker 2: Dad, Yeah, coming from dad and there were a couple of scenes that I've seen so far where the brothers get really graphic and are explaining what exactly happened to them on multiple occasions.
Speaker 1: Wow, And that'd be something if they get out after decades of being in prison and we decide, eh.
Speaker 2: Hey, if the kids aren't around it, I would say, big time watch it.
Speaker 1: Okay. Yeah, And I know a number of people who've gotten pulled into it and really enjoyed it. Okay. So over the weekend I got into Beethoven pretty heavy. This book that I had started reading a couple of years ago, I got back into an audio form about Beethoven's Ninth. The name of the book is the Ninth, and it's about what a lot of critics consider the greatest symphony ever written. Whether that is true or not, I don't know from Beethoven. And it's about the life and times, and it's really just about what it was, what it's like in the world in eighteen twenty four, and what Beethoven was like and Vienna was like in all this different sort of stuff. But here's one part that I wanted to pass along that I thought was pretty entertaining. This is a made up conversation by the author, but it's made up, but it's pieced together ideas from various accounts that other people I mean, so it's pieced together from real stuff, other people saying this is the way Beethoven talked, and he just put together these different fragments into what could have been one thing that would be pretty close to accurate.
Speaker 3: And then coming up after that what has become my favorite show business story of all time involving Ludvig Vaughn.
Speaker 1: Fantastic and the fact that he was deaf is really interesting. That he composed so many of these great symphonies deaf is just mind boggling. And it talks in the book about how when the first episode of the Ninth I mean, he's up there on stage, somebody else is conducting it because he can't hear, and he's there on stage kind of watching things, and he has no idea how it's going because he can't hear, and he doesn't know if it's being played well. And then he didn't know at the end if people liked it or not. And the person with him made him turn around so we could see that people were clapping because other as he didn't have any idea, isn't that wild?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Anyway, here's Beethoven and it includes the term Astrians. So he's in Austria, Vienna, Austria where they perform it for the first time, and he wrote it and he has no respect for the people of Austria, and he calls him astrians as in like a holes. It's a play on words, you know, right, well, it's a good one. And his friend Schindler, who's also a composer. But of no note, Really, where's that ass Schindler. I can't find my black frock coat. Maybe he knows where it is. It seems I'm doomed to be surrounded by cretans and thieves, unworthy of breathing the same air that I breathe. I'm hungry, but I don't want to eat anything now. My nerves are in such a state or I won't be able to control my bowels during the performance.
Speaker 3: I've had days like that.
Speaker 1: This damned concert. If it only it brings in enough money to keep my head above water for the next few months. I can't bear this constant, eternal scrounging for money. I who have given so much to people I shouldn't have let myself be persuaded to give this symphony's performance here. These horrible astrians are we Reverend Admires and Disciples or whatever it was these shitheads wrote about me. He can't trust any of them. Someone probably remembered that all my other symphonies were performed here, and that's why they convinced me. And he goes on and on like that. He's always constantly worried about shitting himself. He hates he hates everybody in the audience. He thinks they're so beneath him that they don't even deserve to have his music. He's constantly are yes, he's constantly broke and angry about that, and he's mean to everybody. Oh, and he lives in filth. His apartment is just full of filth, old food, and dirty clothes, and it's just It was an interesting look at Beethoven, since I only really knew him as the you know, the marble bust sitting on a piano.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I've read a fair amount about Beethoven through the years. I am a great fan of his music. Jack asked me, Oh, I'll finish the thought before we go off on that tangent. But yes, he is a towering, creative genius. I've known a few, no, not as towering, but creative geniuses, and they're all weird as hell. It just comes with the turf. So the idea that he was an angry.
Speaker 1: Bitter, superior, shitting.
Speaker 3: Son of a bitch is not that surprising. Yeah, I mean, what's it like to have a brain that could compose? I mean people talk about the symphonies or the quartets. My favorite Beetholl I love the symphonies, but is probably the piano trios that have piano, violin and cello. They're exquisite. You asked me during the show, what's a good place to start with Beethoven? I love the sixth Symphony, which we talked about Depastoralo, the pastoral Symphony. It's brilliant and full of all sorts of hummable melodies. But the piano trios are just amazing.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So he's headed off to the concert the first performance of the ninth and if.
Speaker 3: You want to know the ultimate recording, it's an Ashkenazi farroh and is it yo yo man cello. It might be anyway, it's wonderful, look for it.
Speaker 1: So they're headed over to the theater for the performance, and is a nephew who he adopted as his own son. Karl is with him, and Carl, you keep an eye on the people taking the money. They're all fiebes. Well, let's go play for these beggars, slaves and clods. I soar above them as my music source, above my contemporaries. We exist on different planes. And then he says, is he's headed out the door for the crowd, lack for confidence. As he's hitting out the door for the crowd that he hates, he quotes somebody against stupidity. Even the gods fight in vain. All right, let's go wow, wow, hey, hey he did.
Speaker 3: That's one of your freedom loving quoted that there they right there, against stupidity, even the gods fight in vain. So true.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 3: Vladimir Ashkenazi, It'sak Pelman and Lynn Harrell. It's the ultimate piano trios. Anyway, that's a hilarious thing to say and so true.
Speaker 1: It's funny though, because classical music just in general is seen as so well classy. Yeah, cerebral, cerebral, classy, dignified, pinky in the air, you know that sort of thing he's called people's shitheads and and astrians, and you're all a bunch of beggars and idiots. I guess I'll go play my music. But why am I so poor? This sucks?
Speaker 3: You don't appreciate me. I don't have the time nor interest actually track this down. But what's the origin of the phrase love the art, not the artist. What's the you know, vintage of it could have been when somebody ran into Baitthoven, right, they're like, hey, the fifth is amazing, but god, what a prick dude, it's completely nuts.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, people going to visit him and he's laying there on his couch and there's like crusts of bread around and old soup rotting in a bowl and he's filling.
Speaker 3: Oh and then he gets like visiting my son in college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Then, and he's fifty three at this point, so he's like, you know, fully into a life. He's toward the end of his life. Actually, he gets up off the couch. There's a bunch of people there to talk to him about the symphony. Later that day, he gets up off the couch and gets undressed to change into the clothes he's gonna wear completely naked just while he's talking to them.
Speaker 3: And shits himself. Oh that's the worst part. Oh okay. So here's my favorite, my new favorite show business story involving Beethoven. So it's eighteen nineteen. He's approached by this music publisher who wanted to work with him, but Beethoven didn't like him, and he was suspicious of him. But I'll just read you the sentence. Eighteen nineteen. Beethoven was first approached by the publisher Morriet Schleschinger, who won the suspicious composer around while visiting him by procuring for him a plate of roast veal. So he just show us up and says, I know you don't like me, but here's some veal. Beethoven's like, yeah, you're not so bad.
Speaker 1: What Wow? I should myself. I should myself. I should myself. Huch byself, I should myself, I should myself.
Speaker 3: You myself?
Speaker 1: He should his helth he should himself?
Speaker 3: Oh boy, unfortunate. Well do next time we discussed Amadeus how he was a genius.
Speaker 2: Bud of bedwetter.
Speaker 3: Mots are whatever.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 3: Alright, Well, I guess that's it. Name a hit