Speaker 1: Fl media. Hey everybody, Robert here, and if you haven't heard recently, about a month ago, my dad took very ill, maybe more like two months ago now, and I wound up spending almost a solid month in Texas in the ICU with him every day and eventually hospice. The short answer to this is that he passed and I did not get him a lot of work done for a while. So we are taking another rewind week next week. It'll be new content again, new content for the foreseeable future after this, but we're taking one more week so that I can get back ahead on stuff. And I decided to run this series of three episodes that we did a couple of years back with Tom Ryman about some of the first right wing talk show grifter types, you know, the guys who really like set the stage for people like Tucker Carlson. And I wanted to do that because Tom, unfortunately is also dealing with a health scare for somebody close to him. His wife, Marina, who's also a wonderful person, a longtime friend of mine, has a high risk pregnancy and is going to be in the hospital for probably the foreseeable future until she has the kid. She got seven months in right now, so it's a sketchy situation for them unfortunately, and they are in need of some money to help cover their medical bills. So if you want to help out these two great people, and if you don't know Tom, check out Gamefully Unemployed. That's his podcast network. They do a lot of great TV show movie reviews. They have a great show about the X Files about how Crazy Fox Molder is where they go through every episode. It's one of my favorite things to listen to. But if you want to help them out, go to support Marina's High Risk pregnancy journey on go fund Me. You can just google go fund me, support Marina's High Risk Pregnancy Journey and donate there. So thank you all very much. We will be back with new stuff next week. But we've got three great rewinds for you this week. If you haven't listened to them before, you will enjoy them. If you have, why not listen to In What Desperately Horny My Saddam Hussein's Best Friend, I'm Robert Evans hosted Behind the Bastards, the only podcast whose host owns two kittens named Saddam Hussein and Saddam Hussein's best friend and due to a severe veterinarian shortage in northern Oregon, still can't get them spaded and nuted for another nine days. And Saddam Hussein's best friend is in heat and desperately trying to fuck her brother.
Speaker 2: This has been an update for all.
Speaker 1: That didn't you have to like maybe she didn't disclose that information. Now you're she has been disclosing that she wants to fuck to literally every living creature that gets near her.
Speaker 3: If she had a microphone, she'd be saying the same thing. She will not stop presenting, and she did not. It is it has been a problem. We are keeping them away because I do not want incest kittens. Although they may have been incestc there's no way to know in sittons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Robert, who is a lot of other voice on this podcast that people are here?
Speaker 1: Oh well, the only person I would ever have on to talk about kitten incest my friend Tom Ryman.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hey, Hi.
Speaker 3: What's up. No, I'm glad you got me on to talk about these cats.
Speaker 1: This is going to be a three hour episode about my cat's sex life. Tom, you are the co founder of Gamefully Unemployed, one of my favorite podcast networks hosts. One of my most listened to shows, Fox Molder is a Maniac, which is a beautiful breakdown of a Fox Molder and what a goddamn Lunatiki is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tom, it's really fascinating when you watch the show with that context.
Speaker 2: It changes the show. It truly does.
Speaker 1: You guys do a lot of great stuff, great movie reviews, and oh thanks, role playing games. People can find you gamefully unemployed on Patreon. Tom, you also are what an editor at Collider? Forget what a senior editor of features a Collider? And you and I worked together for all of my twenties more or less at a little website called Cracked that pivoted to video and uh and went the way of the Dodo.
Speaker 3: We got, we got, we got dragged to hell by Mark Zuckerberg. Yeah. I didn't come across a beautiful tweet earlier today that you'll appreciate.
Speaker 2: Tom.
Speaker 3: Oh good, Yeah, I can't wait to hear it. Great radio, great radio. Yeah, I look for something and Neil dash Horse broke its legs, so we had to take it out back and help it pivot to video.
Speaker 2: Oh Tom, how are you doing today?
Speaker 3: I'm doing okay, I'm doing pretty good. Thanks. Uh, you know, how about how about you? How about yourself?
Speaker 1: Well, Tom, I'm thinking about the fact that there is a vast, incredibly well financed right wing media operation that is seemingly dedicated to pushing a violent civil conflict that leads to a death toll that's truly astronomical in this nation.
Speaker 2: Do you think about that a lot?
Speaker 3: So good? Right, So you're doing good, doing great? Uh, yeah, no, I've tried to think about it less. But in the past few months. Just yeah, I was trying to take a break, but I'm getting plugged back into it.
Speaker 2: You sure are, And it's yeah, god, damn it.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just it doesn't seem like anything's gotten any better. It sure hasn't. It's fucking relentless. And there's this the election. We're like, oh, thank god, and then nope, that that didn't go away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it turns out that you can't. You can't vote these kind of problems away. And today we're going to talk about where some of these problems started. Specifically, we're going to talk about the men who made right wing media, and particularly like right wing talk media. So today you've got guys like Stephen Crowder, uh Be Shapiro obviously, Tucker Carlson being the big, the big Mamma Jammy. You had people like Rush Limball, like.
Speaker 3: All of all three of those people, all four of those people you just name got picked dead last for Kickball for very different reasons. Yeah, they did, and they made it the entire world's problem.
Speaker 1: Yes, So all of these folks, you know, some of the all they all do slightly different variations of the same thing. And they're not all you know, Rush is the only one who's like really a talk radio host, but they all have you know, podcasts and YouTube. They all do the modern equivalent of talk radio and and of like, yeah, we're gonna talk about basically the the people who invented the media space that these guys all live in. Now, these are the very first right wing media personalities in a big way. So these are these are the people who prepared the soil for all of the different, you know, kind of quasi fascist grifters we have today. And they are they're not all bastards in the traditional sense. They're not all people who, on their own, if you didn't consider where everything went, would have qualified as bastards. They're all, I think, unpleasant people, But I think what's interesting is how they how they start off and kind of where they end, Like the kind of people who inhabit this space at the beginning and the kind of people who inhabit it now. So this is gonna be a fun episode time. You're gonna listen to a lot of clips that you're just really gonna dislike.
Speaker 3: Oh good, ah, yeah, so excited, so pumped. Yeah, I'm gonna be so mad soon. Yeah wait, you really are so.
Speaker 1: One of the things that inspired this was coming across the fact that Tucker Carlson very recently alleged that the purpose of vaccine requirements in the military was to quote identify the sincere Christians in the ranks, the freethinkers, the men with height, testosterone levels, and anybody else who doesn't love Joe Biden and make them leave immediately. Fuck is he talking about he's getting into high TI just usterns low. If you're getting facts, the soy boys, shit, not choking on your own rotting lungs is soy.
Speaker 3: It's it's become I mean it was, it's always been the case, but like in the past year or two. Yeah, it's really become obvious that they just let him go on and say what happened?
Speaker 2: He just says it's things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I'm starting with Tucker because he's he's just off the fucking rails completely. And this is the end root of the journey that we're going to trace the start of today. And the thing that Tucker has been saying that most concerns me is he started sharing Great Replacement style conspiracy theists which are alleging that Democrats plan to quote change the population of this country in order to maintain power. This is functionally the same argument Brenton Tarrant, the christ shooter, made in the manifesto he wrote before shooting fifty Muslim worshippers to death. His manifest was titled The Great Replacements. The same argument that the yeah, I'm trying, I'm trying. I'm trying to remember my behind the Bastards extended universe that all comes from the Turner Diaries, right, I.
Speaker 1: Mean doesn't come for the Turner Diaries was like a big definitely was pushing that. But this goes back a while for I mean, you could even draw a line to like the original Nazis and kind of some of the shit Hitler was saying about Airyan blood getting watered down from inner breeding in one for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's a big, big white nationalist talking point.
Speaker 1: And the fact that this good went from great replacement went from like fringe Nazi murderer manifesto in twenty nineteen to Tucker Carlson talking to three million people on a major news network in twenty twenty one, shows like how fast things go now and how how dangerous this all is. And I think it's important to start the stakes because it doesn't begin that way. The guys who start this kind of right wing media space.
Speaker 2: Are in.
Speaker 1: The first guy we're going to talk to is in a lot always kind of pleasant, at least compared to what came after. I don't think he's somebody would have gotten along with.
Speaker 3: But it's don't it's weird. It's weird. We'll see how you think. Okay, Yeah, And where we discussed this is probably going to be.
Speaker 1: These episodes me a nice companion to our two parter on Rush Limbaugh with mister Paul F. Tompkins. So you know, if you're if you're looking for a good four episodes spree to go together listen to these two and then listen to those. Well you're a sweet having a very long shit or on a road trip. So first guy we're talking about tom is Joe Pine Pya in the Joe Pine was born in Chester, Pennsylvania on December twenty second, nineteen twenty four.
Speaker 3: His dad's problem. It's December twenty second and nineteen twenty four. Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania, the US. Yeah, get it, get it out of there. We don't need that state. It's like you look at that, You look at those those three pieces of information, like this is like a fifty to fifty shot. This guy's gonna be real piece of Pennsylvania in the twenties. Yeah, I December baby.
Speaker 2: Fuck that.
Speaker 1: His dad was a brickmaker and his mom was a mom, which was pretty much the only job most women could expect to work at that point in time and place. When Joe was little, his family moved to Atlantic City, which is like Las Vegas, but less fun and much sadder because it's on the East coast. Here's a good Bruce Springsteen song about that. He had a difficult childhood. Joe had a pronounced stutter, and kids back then were even shitty about such things than they are today. He was bullied relentlessly. When Joe was eleven, he lost his younger brother to an auto accident, which was not uncommon in those days because cars didn't crumple and seat belts were but a fever dream in Ralph Nader's eye. By the time Joe was a teenager, his family left Atlantic City, which is always a good decision, and moved back to Chester, which is a more questionable decision. It's all they knew. It's all they knew.
Speaker 3: We're going to pile the family into our giant, unstoppable seat beltless car and drive back to Chester.
Speaker 1: He went to high school, and he joined the Marines in nineteen forty two, which was a popular decision at the time. He joined as early as he possibly Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for whatever reason, a lot of guys in the military in nineteen forty two must have been good ads.
Speaker 2: Something's about to happen.
Speaker 1: He joined as the early, like the first day he possibly could, and obviously the US had decided to enter World War Two at this point. He was deployed against the Empire of Japan, and he fought in some of the war's worst battles across the South Pacific. Joe survived the Battle of Okinawa, which is one of the like, like, one of the worst fights you could possibly have been in that war, real bad battle Okinawa. During that battle, a Japanese plane bombed the forward base he was stationed on, seriously injuring his knee. He returned home scarred and seasoned by heavy combat. Joe had won three Bronze Stars for valor in battle and a purple Heart. So he definitely saw some shit. This is not one of like the draft dodgy right wing.
Speaker 3: Guys, right Ben Shapiro writing war fan fiction, like he win a war and got bombs dropped on his leg.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he saw some of the worst shit you could have seen in that particular conflict. So he returns home real fucked up, probably with a head full of PTSD, But they didn't know PTSD was that they. I'm assuming he just drank washed it down with cigarettes.
Speaker 3: Real headful of horny cats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when he got home, he didn't know precisely what he wanted to do with his life, but he was certain that it involved putting himself in front of people and entertaining them. In order to do that, he felt he would need to deal with his speech impediment first using his.
Speaker 2: What led him to that decision. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I relentlessly bullied, went to war, got bombed, his dead brother comes back. He's like, I'm going to be an entertainer.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be an entertainer. I'm gonna be a.
Speaker 3: Where does that impulse come from?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we just don't know enough about his early life to know, like what the fuck was going on. Maybe he just wanted to show people my speech impediment doesn't to find me. I don't know. Sure I beat the Japanese I can beat stuttering. So, using his GI bill, Joe enrolled in a drama school. He forced himself through agonizing hours of live performances in front of his classmates to overcome his stutter. He locked himself away in his room and would perform hours and hours of speech drills every day, and eventually he did overcome his speech impediment. Once he graduated, Joe became a taxi driver in Chester. He continued to work on his speech while he was driving people around. Eventually, he decided he'd come far enough and he started a career as a broadcaster.
Speaker 3: By this way the Way, the way you phrased that made it sound like he was doing like his speeches to his passengers, I think.
Speaker 1: None, give me some notes. I got a tight five. I'm gonna run it by you. There's no seatbelt better last.
Speaker 2: You are really dependent upon me.
Speaker 1: So he does this, and yeah, he decides he's finished by like late nineteen forty six, now again nineteen forties. Radio is king. TV's coming around, but that's still not the number one way people get entertained. You're really radio is the top of the top of the world, and they assume it will be forever. He was able to convince a station manager in Lumberton, North Carolina, to give him a job on WTSB. The pay was twenty five dollars a week, which was not good money even back then, and he failed to stand out enough that he felt he had any hope of advancement. So after a year he returned home dejected, but Joe kept pushing until he got another job at WPWA in Brookhaven, Pennsylvania. He got into a vicious argument with his boss while still new on the job and was quickly fired. Next he moved to wilm of Wilmington, Delaware, where he was also quickly fired. Yet you get the feeling he was not easy to work with at this point. Thankfully email didn't exist, so these people couldn't tell each other about Joe. He moved back to Chester after this, and then the Kenosha next where he got a job with a new network called w I l P. His job in all of these places was very straightforward, introduce and play records with a minimum of fanfare. He was not being hired to be a personality. He was just put the music on. Yeah, that was a big part of it. He would riff a lot. He got in trouble in Kenosha, and I think he'd gotten in trouble before. He would riff on politics and current events, which was not what you were supposed to do at the time. So his bosses are like nobody, Nobody. People are tuning in to hear I don't know what the big music is that the big bopper.
Speaker 2: Nobody wants you.
Speaker 3: Nobody gives a shit about what you have to say to Yeah, put on Shan Telly lace and shut your fucking mouth. Smoke a cigarette.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The kind of riffing that he thought was the future of radio was simply not done at the time, commenters were part of the news department and jockeys were not. Disc Jockeys were there to entertain, and he'd been hired as a disc jockey. So if you were going to be a commentator, if you were talking about the news, you didn't like give your opinion. You tried to just kind of like read, you know, like the ap wire. Basically, WLP, though took call ins. Listeners could dial in and request songs, but Joe started insisting on asking his listeners what they thought about the political issues of the day, which was the first time anyone had ever really done that on radio, like take callins, and he kind of forced the issue of making them political. One WLP employee at the time recalled he wanted to chat with them, but in those days there was no way to put a phone line on the air. Joe would say uh huh and hmm and then tell the call the listeners what the callers said. So this is like this is a very first talk radio. He's just on the phone with them, be like mmmm, all right, so here's what he said.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you what Dennis from Yeah and you're like listening to almost dead air while he's listening to the versus on the phone.
Speaker 1: But this is literally the birth of talk radio. This is the first time anybody does this Joe Pine, and he moves along eventually, and I'm going to explain that process. I'm going to read a quote from a write up in Smithsonian Magazine. One caller objected to the young DJ's pro union opinions. Do you know anything, sir, about the history of labor management relations, Pine asked the man. After a moment of dead air, he continued, no, you keep your voice down. Pine was an expert interrupter, but this caller barely paused for breath listening. Pine had an idea. According to Ragani, who worked there, he held the phone receiver to his microphone. Now the caller was life on the air and call in radio was born. So that's nineteen forty nine in Kenosha, Joe Pine invins call in radio by literally holding a phone up to the mic.
Speaker 3: In fairness, some random dude calling in to request Frankie Valley who had very strong opinions about labor unions. This who actually created call radio.
Speaker 2: This guy's such an asshole, I gotta put him on.
Speaker 3: He was so pissed about it. That's a fair point. You got to hear, what a piece of shit this guy is. Let me invent a new discipline that will later ratchet the country towards violence. Yeah, he was born in stupid anger and it will kill us all with stupid anger to stupid anger, it will return.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Perfect, What a beautiful way for that to get started. Honestly. Yeah, And I love because this guy gives birth to right wing radio. But he the start of talk radio is him trying to defend like the right to unionize, which is I was I was not expecting that to be the issue when you said it. I was like, really that you could be pretty conservative and pro union in those because it wasn't. It was more racist back then, obviously everything was, but politics in some ways was less dumb.
Speaker 2: It wasn't.
Speaker 1: It hadn't gotten to the point where it is with like the right wing left wing conservatism is such a part of my like identity that like I have this vested interest in like demonizing anything, like you did have a lot of u. I mean, like one of the union strongholds in the US for a long time was West fucking Virginia. You know, like people like fought to the death for unions at West Virginia with rifles and now it's Joe Mansion Country, So well sorry West Virginia. But like, yeah, the things were different than poetically, is what I'm saying. And yeah, so Joe was fired. I think this kind of is part of what got him fired because his boss at the station was like, you're supposed to be playing songs, Joe, what the fuck are you doing holding the phone out to the goddamn microphone.
Speaker 3: Put on the goddamn wreck, Put on the fucking twist. Yeah, do you want to get a Rush Limbaugh, Because that's how you get a Limbaugh. This is how we get a Limba. Put the phone down, Put on the goddamn music. I don't want to listen to Stephen Crowder's heart surgery problems in twenty five years or forty five years, how many years, one hundred years, sixty years, whatever, too many years, Tom, five hundred years, yeah, years ago. Nobody from even alive anymore.
Speaker 2: No, no, God, thank God.
Speaker 3: So, despite Yeah, inventing call in radio, Joe's boss did not appreciate him.
Speaker 1: He wanted someone to read ads and introduce songs. The two fought constantly at one point, Joe demanded a raise, which led to a fight. Another w l i P host later recalled stumbling in on the melee Joe was yelling. She recalled, he had one hand on our boss's lapel. He picked up a typewriter and threw it against the wall.
Speaker 3: Oh fuck, So that gives you a little bit of an idea of like why this guy keeps having problems with his coworkers. Yeah, he almost said that was danger. He almost scored some points of me there though, because you were like, he picked up a type roun.
Speaker 2: I'm like, here we go, here we go against the wall, hit him in the face.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, fair compromise, all right again, So he gets fired again, and he continues to move around frequently, you know, while he's going from radio station to radio station.
Speaker 1: He marries a beauty queen. He divorces here a year later because she gets sick of him. While he's working at WYLM, he starts a show called It's Your Nickel, so named because the nickel was the standard cost for a call on a payphone and this was the first, yeah, proper radio talk show, It's your Nickel. So he does get a job doing the thing that he invented, and that's that became a phrase like it's your dime or it's your nickel, or it's your dollar.
Speaker 2: It's like exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't know if that's the He may have just been using that phrase because it was already like what people said.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean he may have invented it. I have not done that research. Tom someone at home.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, something something that sticks out to me about old Joe Pine is that he has trouble forming a lasting relationships.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was from job the job.
Speaker 3: Mary's a woman divorces her late like he seems like he might be impossible to be around.
Speaker 1: It does, and it also, again, this is one of those black box of history things. I do kind of wonder how much of this is a PTSD, because that can make it real hard to get along with people and hard to regulate your emotions and more likely to throw a typewriter.
Speaker 3: He did get bombed in one of the most notorious battles of World War two, so yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Who knows.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things.
Speaker 1: It's like lead exposure, which I'm sure Joe Pine was also exposed to a tremendous amount of lead like you wonder how much of an impact did this have on like the way people were back then.
Speaker 3: You wonder how many people were just walking around poisoned and crazy like seventy years ago, just because that's the way it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's a lot of like pretty strong evidence that at least the lead exposure may have been part of why there was so much more violence back you know, even just like twenty something years ago, because everybody was inhaling lead and eating lead off the walls. And I do want some delicious lead, Tom. Yeah, there's nothing that goes with like a nice bree. Like you get a lead chip and you just dip it in a bree. That's a good Yeah, nice meat mix, a sweet and savory.
Speaker 2: It's like a lead flight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a lead flight, Like a flight of lead. I'm gonna start a leadstirant.
Speaker 3: I think you should. Yeah, lead in every food. Yeah, the lead bar, get the lead out. We'll call it a lead chicken in every pot. Now, Tom, you know who else will expose you to tremendous amounts of lead? M the X Men Colossus. That that is probably accurate. I don't know as much about x Men as you but but the products and services that support this podcast certainly.
Speaker 1: Will expose you to lead. That is the only guarantee we make about our sponsors, every one of them filled with lead.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's a powerful guarantee.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: And I wanted to start this by letting my letting my audience know that that our guest today, Tom Ryman, has a bit of a superpower, which is and everyone who knows you knows this, Tom, which is that.
Speaker 3: When you when you whenever you mention a movie and you will talk about, like you know that guy who was in the background and that in that scene in American Beauty, and you'll be like, oh, yeah, it's such and such, and this is the other films they were in.
Speaker 2: Know anybody who can do that the way that you.
Speaker 3: Can, it's.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought you were going to tell everybody about my optic blasts. So I'm glad.
Speaker 1: No, I'm glad I didn't secret keeping that a secret for when I rob a bank.
Speaker 2: No, I've been.
Speaker 3: I've been. I don't know. I just I do that like I keep it encyclopedic record of dates and like people in movies and stuff. I don't know, it's it's uh, I'm probably somewhere on the spectrum. But it's just a thing I do. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's almost a super like it is kind of a superpower, like it's it's really it's really fun. And it made like when we when we were all I mean, I lived together with like half of the people we worked with at Cracked, and you were always over and just the movie conversations with you and Dave were always a tremendous amount of fun.
Speaker 3: I listened to your podcasts. Oh thanks, we lived in your room, remember, Oh yeah, you did in the mountains, lived in your room. I was I was doing redacted things in the mountains and and mostly not home at that point in time, I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, yeah, Oh the days of our lives like sand through the hourglass, tom So, like lead through the hour glass, like lead through the hour glass. So Joe Pine gets his first proper radio talk show, It's Your Nickel on w I l M. And again he's out of there, he's in there. I think this is like his second time working for them, And this article from the broadcaster's desktop resource makes it clear what kind of show Joe ran. The very first radio talk show quote in his nightly introduction, he said, the mic is open. My name's Joe Pine. I guess you know yours the program. This program is dedicated to the free exchange of ideas and to differences of opinion. I don't propose to have all the answers, but I do promise to talk about the things that interest you.
Speaker 1: So that's a nice little.
Speaker 3: There's that free exchange of ideas craz He did, I think.
Speaker 1: Kind of mean it as opposed to the people who say it today. I think they're aping him. But I'll play you some clips from his he did. He was, yeah, it's interesting now. The show did often become a shout fest, with Pine definitely in control. No topic was sacred, from sex to religion to politics, but when he felt a listener had gone on for too long and was making no sense, he would make a rude remark, like you're sick and hang up on the post person.
Speaker 2: Enduring.
Speaker 1: Pine's abusive records the challenge to the audience, many of whom tried to debate him before he hung up on them. His views tended to be quite conservative most of the time, and Pine seemed to dare his listeners to disagree with him. His style of arguing included using very derogatory terms. Known for being adept with words, his arsenal of insults and put downs became the stuff of legends. Among his best known were if your brains were dynamite, you couldn't blow your nose. There was also go gargle with razor blades and take your teeth out, put him in backwards, and bite your throat Jesus Christ. At least the man's creative. That third one's pretty nice. Yeah, that's good. I'd heard the other two. I'm like, yeah, those are old standards. And this turn your teeth around him like ooh yeah. So when this is in nineteen fifty one two, while he's in the middle of changing Radio Forever, his old war injury flares up badly enough that surgeons have to amputate his left leg from the mid downhit. So he's back in the studio with a prosthetic limb soon after, and while the fake leg was obvious to everyone who saw him, he never meant it.
Speaker 2: Did get mentioned on air. We'll talk about that.
Speaker 1: In a bit, but he refused to mention it on air. Judging by his pro union views, Joe is at least at one point at least more of a moderate than he became. But the longer he's on doing talk radio, he pulls further and further to the right. In nineteen fifty three, he celebrated on air when the US electrocuted Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, saying, we finally incinerated those comies. I hope it was slow and painful.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's interesting that.
Speaker 3: The longer I mean, I'm sure you're going to make this connection, But the longer he's on the air, the more conservative he pulls.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 3: I wonder could that be because having bad faith arguments to generate we call them rage clicks now, but it's just to stoke controversy by needling people and by playing the devil's advocate just to get people heeded, and arguing to fuel the ratings for his own show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really don't know. I'm sure that was an element of it, because clearly he's going after controversy, he's going after rage kicks. But also we'll talk about it. He was not always the guy you would expect. That's yeah, So we're building that. So Joe had a keen understanding of how to communicate with the lowest common denominator in US politics. He told reporters, quite without shame, that radio was geared towards the mentality of thirteen year old kids, and that most Americans were politically apathetic and easy to persuade of just about anything. He claimed that he used shocking language and would make extreme allegations in order to get people to think. He told the La Times that while his critics called him a hate monger, all he really did was encourage stimulating dialogue. You see, he knows what he's doing. I think that's a big part of like why he gets more right wing in his because it's easier to kind of, like again, speak to the mentality of thirteen year old kids. If you're just like making these kind of reactionary arguments.
Speaker 3: He wants to piss people off so that they react and he gets a show out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's a part of it. That's not all of it, because he is When there were times when he would be challenged, it kind of depended on how it was. If he found someone interesting, even if they were coming in from a very different perspective, he would let them talk and sometimes very respectfully so he was not, well, he's the start and he's doing a lot of unpleasant stuff. He's also not He's unequivocally a better person than Ben Shapiro, is what I'm saying, right, Like, his goal in any given conversation wasn't just to own them. He would actually listen to people sometimes who were bringing up some pretty radical stuff.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that.
Speaker 1: Nineteen fifty seven, a little over after a little over six years on air, Joe left Wylm. This time it was his own choice. He was famoused at least locally, and his salary was forty two thousand dollars a year, which is almost ten times the average salary for a it's about four hundred grand a year, and like modern dollars like, he was making real good money. This time, Joe left because his dreams had overgrown a very comfortable working condition. He traveled to Riverside, California, and he got a job at a local radio station that quickly led to a TV job at KTLA in Los Angeles. He would later claim that his first TV show, which was essentially a filmed version of It's Your Nickel, had been a huge success, but the show lasted less than a year and I found no clips of it anywhere.
Speaker 2: Joe moves back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'd be surprised if there's any footage that still exists.
Speaker 1: There is a we have some clips of his the show that Come Next, Came Next, but it's because there's like a grassroots archival effort to like digitize all of the old tape master tapes. So after his first year in la Joe moves back across the country to Chester where he works for a Philadelphia TV station for a first time for a short time, and then he goes back to wilm for a little while. He licks his wombs, he wounds. He seemed to know that a show like his, a political talk show where people could scream about pauloitics to a mass audience, was the wave of the future and was going to be huge on television, but the world wasn't ready quite yet. For a few years, Joe continued to broadcast, but in the early nineteen sixties he decided the time was finally right and he moved back to LA where he got a job at KABC. And I'm going to quote from the broadcaster's desktop resource again. Once again, he polarized the audience, with some listeners and guests complaining he was too caustic, and others saying his candor was refreshing. But as in Wilmington, he had people talking about him and his show From KABC, he went over to KLAC and set nineteen sixty five, doing the nine pm to midnight shift. Never wont to avoid controversial guests. He put Nazis and members of the Ku Klux Klan on the air displeasure Yeah, oh yeah, dope, earning the displeasure of the American Jewish Committee and a warning from the FCC. He also had guests who believe it in eugenics, guests who were racists, guests with strange theories about past lives or UFOs, and the arguments continued. Controversy sold Joe's salary balloon to two hundred thousand dollars a year, which is nearly two million a year by modern standards. Jesus NBC. Yeah, he's making it back. I mean this is soon that he's giving people like what Tucker Carlson and stuff. Now, I will be fair when he has Nazis and KKK members on and so that he can scream at them like yeah, well it's still like, it's still there's it's still problematic, but it's not as problematic as it is today, where you have people affiliated with similar organizations were talking about how, yeah, he.
Speaker 3: Was getting outrage clicks. But at least the the understanding was people are going to hate these yead At least that was like the understanding. Yeah, at least that was the fucking understanding. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Again, you can still argue, and I think it is pretty irresponsible to do that, but at least the understanding was like, fuck these guys, let's let's yell at them.
Speaker 2: It's here, let's not let's hear them out. Yeah.
Speaker 1: NBC Radio Network started syndicating his show nationally in March of nineteen sixty six, and it was soon on more than two hundred stations around the country. He called what he did fist in the Mouth Radio, and now that he was on a new time slot the mid morning rather than the night as he'd usually been before, his ratings exploded. This is generally thought to be due to the fact that being on earlier in the day opened him up to a vast new audience of board housewives. People were titillated. One of his networks advertised the show in a full page newspaper spread listing all the Nazis and klansmen and other pieces of shit he'd had on his show, and then concluding with you may agree or disagree with Joe Pine, you may scream and rage at some of his remarks, but you won't turn him off. Yes, I mean, what's the antent of that?
Speaker 3: Stay?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that shaming me? Is that?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, you heard the feel bad I do? Yeah, but you won't turn him off? Yeah?
Speaker 3: You motherfucker. This is on you unless you turn him off. We want this motherfucker off the air, but we can't. You like him too much? Just son of a bitch. We tried to look in the doors, he just shows up inside? What about.
Speaker 2: Secret doors?
Speaker 1: So Joe was on both the radio and the TV, and his television show A Learn alone earned him more money per year than Mickey Mantle played playing made playing for the Yankees. So he's making like more than Mickey Mantle money. Now, professional sports players made less money in those days, but still he's he's raking it in. He was the top rated talk show host and the second largest market in the US.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels wrong that I don't know. Yeah, like you said, for the professional athletes made less money back then. But look, I feels wrong that like's Mickey Mantle. I know who Mickey Mantle is. If anyone, shouldn't he make all the money?
Speaker 1: So from Smithsonian Magazine quote. At a time when TV's leading men included Walter Cronkite, Edward R. Murrow, Andy Griffith, and Captain Kangaroo, Pine was the medium's first shock jock, a firebrand who invited hippies, civil rights activists and Ku Klux Klansman alike to take a hike or go gargle with razor blades. By the mid sixties, he was the most popular TV radio voice in America. Johnny Carson had more television viewers, but Pine, with a syndicated TV show in two hundred plus radio outlets, had an audience to rifle. Johnny's Life magazine called him sadistic, a barroom tough, but millions turned in to watch the fireworks. When a guest advocating free love set off a melee Pines, audience charged the set and knocked it flat.
Speaker 2: Oh shit.
Speaker 1: One guest, the suave TV personality David Suskin, earned a chorus of booze for calling Pine's program an orgy for morons. Host and guest both got a kick out of that. So it is like the first on air fight ringer. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's also like Jerry Springer, the first Spring.
Speaker 2: He's the first Saldo and yeah, we'll be talking about Morton later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like all of it's not just like Tucker Carlson the time.
Speaker 3: They cracked every aspect of this, like he really did. He he is an important man to know about, Like he really uh, he figured he was. Yeah, he figured some out. Most of it shit, I wish no one had figured out, but he did figure it out. I can make millions if I put Nazis on the air. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, I think it's probably a better time to give you a better idea of how Joe sounded, because when you read it out the way I have put it together, it probably sounds like he's like a stereotypical modern shock jock. And while he was the prototype for that, his actual broadcasting style was much more subdued and witty. In this clip, Joe interviews an early vegan activist and what he called his beef box.
Speaker 6: Check it out as you cannot hear the screams of a lamb in this slaughterhouse. You cannot hear the screams of your son on the battlefield.
Speaker 5: I would like to ask you a meaningful question at this point.
Speaker 1: Are you a vegetarian?
Speaker 6: I am?
Speaker 1: Indeed? Do you ever eat tomatoes?
Speaker 6: I would say to you, yes, in the last three thousand years.
Speaker 1: Man, I'm asking you a question.
Speaker 5: Do you ever eat tomatoes?
Speaker 6: Three?
Speaker 2: Do you eat tomatoes?
Speaker 6: Of course?
Speaker 3: I do you do?
Speaker 5: Do you know that there is now scientific proof that when you cut a tomato with screams, there is electrical.
Speaker 2: There is killer of tomatoes, and tomato doesn't pay.
Speaker 6: Are the tomato feels no pain?
Speaker 7: Tomatoes blotoo, Tomato does.
Speaker 3: Not swater plato take a walk.
Speaker 2: By.
Speaker 1: Oh you're going to sing something I would This is a tomato stump.
Speaker 6: As the animal dies. So the slaughter of that animal.
Speaker 2: All right, that's probably enough of that. So yeah, what do you think of that?
Speaker 6: Top?
Speaker 3: Is not what I was expecting? I know, he sounds like Walter Cronkite. And then he flips the fuck out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he flips the fuck out.
Speaker 1: But he starts from this real low ebb and he also does like he says, get off, but then the guy's like, well I want to sing, and he's like, oh, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please do. This is great, dude. Yeah, that's going to be incredible content.
Speaker 3: And that clip was from sixty six. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nineteen sixties.
Speaker 3: It feels extremely modern, especially like almost to be on TV today. His bad his extremely bad faith argument. Yeah, it's all he's he's a he's a trailblazer top. Yeah, this guy. You can put this dude on TV right now and he would be the hottest thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's amazing, and he there's a level of almost Yeah, it's just different than the way they mock people today. It's almost more. It's almost gentler in a weird ways. He's not he's not the same as what came after Again, he's this weird mix of what we have today, and like Walter Cronkite's it's a fascinating it's fascinating to just listen to his stuff. When the civil rights movement kicked off, Joe devoted a tremendous amount of time to discussing the angry Negro, which it's more or less what you'd expect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh boy.
Speaker 1: Clips in one episode he brought on several militant black activists. I believe they were black panthers, and in a heated moment during the show. I've not been able to find this clip, but it's very famous. During the show, he opens his desk drawer to show them his revolver and he threatens them with it on air, so he we could he could go off. He advocated bombing North Vietnam back to the Stone Age, obviously, but he could also be a surprising man, And part became because he came from an era in which big political figures could admit to learning something and changing their opinion, and in part because some of the issues that are now very aggressive are a lot less. We're a lot less settled in those days in terms of like how it was going to break down, writer or left. So he conducted an interview with Cosmopolitan editor Helen Gurley Brown, and he started the interview by calling her a dingbat and then asked her to explain why girls should be considered equal to men in the workplace. But then he sat quietly while she gave her speech like explaining her peace on women's liberation, and he applauded her at the end of it. He was certainly more polite to women than towards men, and more polite to white people towards black people. But even when in interviewing people he clearly despised, Joe maintained an air that's just so much more congenial than what you see on TV today. Here he is talking to Paul Krasner, a left wing magazine publisher who later went on to head High Times. So this is him talking with someone he fucking hates.
Speaker 5: Uh, which deodorant does Lyndon Johnson use?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 1: Paul Krasner?
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: Which deodorant does Lyndon Johnson use? That's your front page head?
Speaker 8: Yes, do you want to know which one? By brand name?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I want to know what is that? What is the what is the reason for that?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 8: I think that the present of the United States? Is it such a height that people have?
Speaker 2: What a height?
Speaker 1: Height?
Speaker 8: He's put out such a pedestal that people have to realize that he is only a human being and does use a deodorant like you and me.
Speaker 1: And I'm a little worried about you. I'm he's lighting a cigarette now, So yeah, that's like it's clearly again this is not somebody he particularly respects, but it's also like it's not a shouting debate. I guess that's what impresses. Not impresses. Is the thing that is interesting to me because like, you don't you don't have that kind of like congenial distaste. Is how it feels watching them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he feels more like Carson than like, yeah, a Tucker Carlson at this point. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's the kind I wish I could find the thing the interview he does with those those black panthers where he shows them his revolver, because I've heard different descriptions of it, something that make it sound like he's threatening them with a gun and some that make it sound like he's just like, well, I have a gun too, and like I really don't know, and I don't I don't know what the actual tone was in that out.
Speaker 3: Either one is entirely possible based on what you've shown me exactly. Either one makes complete sense, like he's yeah, he's more polite, but he's still he's still, oh for.
Speaker 1: Sure, like yeah, And the interview with Krasner got markedly less friendly after the ad break from Smithsonian magazine quote, why do you print the most obscene words? Pine demanded, do you edit your magazine because you were an unwanted child, to which Krasner responds, no, daddy, They're talk one downhill from there. He asked me about my acne scar, says Krasner, now eighty five. That was a low blow. I said, let me ask you something. Do you take off your wooden leg before you make love to your wife? And is jaw dropped? According to Krasner, the audience gasped, while Pine's producers everted their eyes.
Speaker 2: Surrealistic.
Speaker 3: That's good TV though, right there, that's a good TV so the listeners know this cool? Was his clip sixty seven something, yeah, sixty seven, Yeah, do you fuck your wife? That's your fake leg nineteen sixty seven in the sixties.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Andy Griffith is the biggest name in entertainment, and this shit's on TV. Holy shit, like you could see like, and that's part of the other thing that's interesting. Like I'm gonna guess a lot of his audience, if not most of it, weren't right wing, Like a lot of them were probably people who like guys like Paul Krasner, but like want to see shit like this on TV. People have these kind of like conversations. He'll talk to fucking anyone and he could surprise you. But before we get into that, Tom, you know what else is gonna surprise you? Mmmmm, No, the quality of the.
Speaker 1: Products and services that support this.
Speaker 2: Podcast would be a surprise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it will be a surprise.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: And we're talking about what I think is one of the more surprising things I found. So Jill Pine was one of the very first major media figures in the United States to platform a transgender woman discussing trans issues, and he did show in a way that is incredibly surprising for the time. This is from nineteen sixty six and I want to just play this, and the woman he's talking to, Christine Jorgensen, was like one of the very first super public transgender media figures, very famous, very famous. So he's certainly not the first person to talk to her, but he's one of the first people with a massive platform to sit down and have a long conversation with a transgender person and a major outlet. And I think the tone of the conversation, given where we are now with the right wing on this issue, is going to be surprising to people.
Speaker 5: It was our guests who first flushed the problems of transsexuals into the open. Christine Jorgensen was born a male. She was ascribed in her high school annual as a clever lad. Later she became a private first class in the Army. Though outwardly a boy, Christine was sexually disturbed. The story of her later discovery and transformation electrified the world. It was the first chapter in a new outlook toward the transsexual phenomenon. And yet I can't believe that yours was the first operation of this type.
Speaker 2: It wasn't Jill.
Speaker 4: The first one was I think done somewhere in the area of nineteen twenty six or twenty seven. There was a marvelous doctor in Germany called Magnus Hirschfeldt who started the whole investigation to our in our modern age, let's put it that way. Before that, there may have been others, but I know not of them.
Speaker 5: Is this a legal operation in the United States?
Speaker 1: Yet?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh, certainly you know they're doing it a Johns Hopkins now in Baltimore, happens the best, Yes, And they're doing at the University of Minnesota Medical School. They've done five cases to the best of my knowledge at the University of California Medical School.
Speaker 5: How many people and your a particular predicament do you think there are today? I mean, not those who are successfully assuming you have successfully bridge the gap, but how many are in that spot where they need this?
Speaker 4: Well, I could only judge by what I heard from Johns Hopkins when I was in Baltimore several weeks ago. Doctor Money and I did a television show together, and he's one of the doctors involved in Johns Hopkins And he asked me if I thought I knew how many, and I said, I don't have the vaguest idea, And he said, according to his statistics, they should be thirty thousand transsexuals of both sides in the United States.
Speaker 5: To get it straight, at transsexual and a transvestite differ in that the transvestite is addressing up type of homosexual. And you don't claim to be a homosexual, Nona, I should say, you claim you were not a homosexual.
Speaker 4: Well, an interesting point if you say that if I was established and accepted by society for the first twenty six years of my life as a male, then my emotional feelings during that period toward another male had to be considered a homosexual emotion in the eyes of society, although I never saw it that way in my own eyes. But again, Joe, may I correct something which has been very is very startling. I think that a transvestite they have proven statistically that ninety nine percent of them are heterosexual. Now this is even more interesting than ever.
Speaker 1: People who men.
Speaker 5: Who dress up in women's clothing are really, by the world standards, normal sexual right.
Speaker 1: Wow, So yeah, that's that's what I expect.
Speaker 2: It surprising.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know he does say Heaven's to Betsy when she's she's talking about the different then he's.
Speaker 2: Like the terminology.
Speaker 3: Again, this is nineteen sixty seven, right, Yeah, so let's say it is like, sure, okay, Joe, Like he's actually like, okay, what's the proper term? What's the difference? Like explained, you're very careful about gendering her properly. He's being very surprising. Yeah, what I would have said this?
Speaker 2: Wow? Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 1: And I talked to a transgender friend of mine about this, and she did point out that Christine Jorgensen had some like kind of pretty anti gay attitudes and one of the things that was going on here. And one of the things that made her acceptable is that, like she was like, well, I'm not going to be like people like me won't be homosexual if we get to transition, right, because then it's yeah. And I didn't really catch that when I listened to the interview, but I can see how that could have been an element here. Although when he brings up homosexuality, I didn't note anything aggressive in it, like he was just kind of asking for clarification about yeah, not in this.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he was right, yeah, there's some way yeah. Yeah, But but so not the interview I would have expected. And I think it says less about him than it just does about how the issue had not been politicized at this point, like the existence of transgender people had not been politicized to the extent that it is now, even though it was much more dangerous to consider transitioning back then. It also there was not the kind of political rancorbind It's just a fascinating piece of history and evidence that, like Joe Pine again, you could be a right wing firebrand on TV and encounter something you didn't understand and like learn about it on air without it being like a thing. Yeah, Do you think that's a product of him being like a genuinely curious person, like if I want to learn new things, etc. Or is that more of a product of what you were saying about the issue where it wasn't clear which side of the political spectrum the issue was going to fall on, so he didn't want to go as hard as he normally would had the issue been more firmly settled on one side.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I've heard people theorize that part of why he was very polite and liked Christine Jorgensen is that she was a veteran like him, and he had just that kind of le first act for like, well, whatever else about this person we fought in the same war together. I think some of it's also, I think the attitude and like the way people presented themselves, Like he was a guy who was raised in a specific time where if people present themselves a specific way, you treat them a specific way, right, And I think people who kind of like Joe or Krassner, you know, it's kind of like a left wing hippie type, and so he did not feel the need to be respectful Christine like presented as like a very kind of like bougie, upper middle class white woman, and he treated her with respect as a result.
Speaker 2: The same was true of.
Speaker 1: Some other women he interviewed who he had a disagreement with. So I think some of it may just be that just like there was more of like a well, regardless of your feelings, if somebody presents in this way, if they if they match kind of our expectations of upper class white people behavior, and you treat them with a certain level of respect and regard because that's just how we are. Yeah, it's a fascinating time, fascinating time capsule. And that was a I think maybe the longest clip we've ever played on this show. But I just I was really surprised when I came across that, learning like this is the guy who gave mental birth to Rush Limbaugh and Tucker Carlson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not the interview you would expect.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: As a last treat, I have one more thing I want to play for you. This is a segment from Joe's show where he talks with Anton Levy, head of the Boy Tom.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have a good time with this one man popcorns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you get Antony on the TV, and you know you're gonna have a good one.
Speaker 7: And how do you make your living as a counselor sorcerer, practicing wizard, shaman, warlock, whatever you wish to call it. You're also a male witch, a warlock. Well, a male witch is considered a warlock. You're glad to be a witch then, uh, a male witch, but not a white witch, not like some of these people that have been on various shows that bend over backwards trying to convince everyone how good they are.
Speaker 1: They never perform.
Speaker 3: Black magic, only white magic.
Speaker 8: I think this is.
Speaker 7: Really make that man disappear out of the dock, out of the doc. Why should I want to?
Speaker 5: Because we have somebody else coming up?
Speaker 7: Of course I can't make him disappear because I am naturally casting the mold of a human being.
Speaker 2: And I think this.
Speaker 5: Less human and more methhrostophelean to me, thank you, sir. I call him a devil complimented.
Speaker 3: It's just remarkable to me, the degree, the degree to which Anton Levy looks like Joe Kuchan from Command and Conquer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the guy who played Kane. They're the same.
Speaker 1: Maybe Kane was Anton Levy. That's my command and conquer theory. That's gonna be very funny. He doesn't.
Speaker 3: He looks He looks like the villain in every FMV computer game. That's amazing. I can't he's wearing an ambulant. He's such a dummy every time he goes on TV. It's so funny. He was like, no, I can't make that guy disappear. White magic? White magic?
Speaker 2: Are you doing?
Speaker 3: And yeah, I have to side with Joe on this one. What do you kind of magic? Are you up to? The magic are you going to do? Can you make that you disappear? Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the late nineteen sixties, Joe was a very wealthy man. He rove drove a Rolls Royce and when he parked at the studio he was so frightened it would be vandalized that he had his network hire a security guard to watch the car while he was on the air park in the garage.
Speaker 3: Man, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly what are you doing? On paper?
Speaker 1: In many ways he sounded like the same kind of guy that many right wing media grifters are today. But the things he the thing he had that they all lacked is is a sense of charm. There's a level of class that you get with Joe that, just like is is completely absent from everyone who follows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it's more the more we hear of him. I had said he sounds like Cronkite earlier, but he really sounds more like like Carson or like a talk show most where it's like he can be warm and supportive until he's not, and then he'll turn on you and kind of ridicule you, but in a in a polite way.
Speaker 1: I can see how a lot of people who disagreed profoundly with Joe Pine could enjoy listening to his show in a way that like I cannot with Tucker Carlson or nobody's like nobody like hate watches for enjoyment Tucker Carlson. It's just too like horrifying, Like nobody does that with beIN Shapiro or whatever.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, that's an assignment. That's not something that is an assignment, that is that is a that is conflict journalism, like you.
Speaker 2: Are taking on pain. I'm looking at Sophie nodding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but people could like enjoy like you enjoy, Like why I recommend watching him talk to Anton Leavey. It's yeah, it's it's legitimately fun. Just too shad, too real shitheads just dogging it up in the sixties.
Speaker 2: At one point he had.
Speaker 3: One point he had Harlan Ellison on as a guest. Now, Harlan Ellison quite a fellow.
Speaker 1: At the time, he was a Los Angeles Free Press columnist, and he's now a legendary dead sci fi author, the author if I have no mouth, but I must scream and some other real.
Speaker 3: The way you phrased that made it sound like he's legendarily dead, he is.
Speaker 2: He is a lot of people.
Speaker 3: I mean, Harlan Ellison was a famous misanthrope.
Speaker 2: He made a lot of enemies.
Speaker 1: He made a lot of enemies, and politically he was pretty much the opposite of Joe Pine, although in terms of being unpleasant, they were both very unpleasant people. Famously, Harlan Ellison called Joe a hustler and a bully, but noted that he was very sharp.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 1: I thought I'd go on his show and beat him at his own game, but I blew it. I spent my time talking about the issues, civil liberties and all that, and he talked about America the trouble with Pine was that he was really really good at what he did now, and that does get to like, yeah, you're ever gonna win talking about the issues with these guys. That's not And you could only get Joe to listen when it wasn't something he saw as an issue. I think that's why his why that interview with Jurgensen went the way it did, is because it wasn't a political issue to.
Speaker 3: His experience of interest. To me, I was curious, Yeah, this isn't this isn't real. This is just some flighty nonsense, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's I mean, I don't even think he was treating it like nonsense. He was treating it like he was just learning a new science.
Speaker 5: Fate.
Speaker 3: It wasn't political, It was not a politic He definitely didn't treat it the same way he was treating the High Times dude or Anton Levey. But I feel like he probably considered them in the same bucket of like, well, this isn't this is like a personal interest story, this isn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely in the same I think he clearly respected her more than he did any either of them. But yes, I think it was the same kind of like well, this is not a political thing. This is this is personal interest. This is just something that people are going to be fascinated by that I can also like you can, you can you can create a kind of like fantastic title for it. You know, it's something that'll that'll get people get eyeball on the screen. In nineteen sixty nine, Joe started having trouble breathing. He was diagnosed with lung cancer. For years, he had jokingly called his cigarettes coffin nails, and you saw him light up at least one side.
Speaker 3: I think he smoked. In all the clips. He was always smoking. They just promise, yes, your government issue cigarettes. He had repeatedly promised that he would never give up smoking, but he quit after getting his diagnosis. It didn't help when he got too sick to drive to the studio. He hosted his show from his home, making him a trailblazer and yet another way, Wow, yeah, he was the first, first one.
Speaker 2: We're doing, tom Yeah, what we're doing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: At the very end of his life, he lay in his bed ranting about the Peace Corps because they wanted to end the war in Vietnam. He died in nineteen seventy at age forty five, Thank you, comrades.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, forty five. That dude was forty five. That dude was mainline cigarettes his entire adult life. From the time he was fourteen. He was probably smoking six packs a day. I want the listeners to understand that this motherfucker looks like in these clips we watch, he looks like he's at least sixty eight. Yeah, like he looks so old. I mean, in fairness, some of that's World War two, I know. Yeah, I mean, it's like a joke on the Internet where it's like, man, people who were like thirty eight in nineteen seventy five, it's like they were on the door. But like I wonder, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, no forty five. Yeah, dude, he's now yeah, younger than Oh, what's the guy?
Speaker 1: The funny man? All the ladies like him. He's the ant man. What's his fucking name?
Speaker 3: Aunt man?
Speaker 2: Paul Rudd. Paul Rudd.
Speaker 3: Paul Rudd's older than Joe Pine died at now right, Paul Rudd is older than Joe Pine ever was and looks half his way.
Speaker 2: And when Paul.
Speaker 3: Rudd is seventy, he won't look at his oldest Joe Pine looked at this dude.
Speaker 2: It looks older than Shatner.
Speaker 1: The Smithsonian magazine lays out how directly his influence led to the creation of some of the most influential careers in modern right wing media.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 1: One of Pine's protegees, the controversial radio shouter Bob Grant, followed his mentor Pine as a talk show shatter in Los Angeles before moving to New York, where Grant paved the way for his successor at WABC, Sean Hannity. Oh Hannity had first gained national attention subbing for Rush Limbaugh, another Bob Grant fan. When Grant died in twenty thirteen, Hannity hailed him as one of the greatest pioneers of controversial, opinionated talk radio. Grant, in turn, had acknowledged his debt to the founder of in your Face talk. Even Vice President Mike Pence, who hosted a right wing talk show in Indiana in the nineteen nineties, was a successor of Pines. According to Harlan Ellison, who admired Pine's shrewdness while loathing his politics, I've appeared on that sort of show all over the country. They call it controversy. But they're all about vilification and hostility, and their motto is p is Pine. And Pine is again an odd figure for me, because when I first started reading this kind of stuff about him, calling him a bully, I expected a different kind of bully than the videos reveal. He's absolutely a bully, but he's subtler than the ones we see today. I found a column in the Saturday Evening Post from the nineteen sixties where a left wing reviewer tries to explain his appreciation for the Joe Pine Show. Quote after watching one of these shows, and it does not matter whether I loaded the guests to the host or both, I feel somehow drained and less misanthropic. Not long ago, for example, I had a terrible day. I had a migraine, and my daughter sliced her finger with a razor blade, and I got a rejection slip and a cop gave me a speeding ticket, my third this year, which means that I will probably lose my license, and in Los Angeles, that is like being a functional paraplegic. That night, I watched Joe Pine. His guests included a lady who complained that television sportscasters never carried drag racing results, a man who blamed the current racial unrest on Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and a veteran who said we ought to drop the big bomb on Vietnam. The vet said he did not fight World War Two. To throw this one away, it turned out that he had been a Navy mail man. I was outside the zoo looking in again. Life did not seem so bad after all. I went to bed and slept.
Speaker 2: Well that what's going on in that guy's life?
Speaker 3: Though? Yeah, that is honest. We had lost his license, his daughter cut razor blade. Yeah wait, wait, she had access to razor blades. I'm not gonna blades. It was a different time, Tom. I'm sure he was giving her cigarettes too. This guy, this guy's life was already uh shaky for the Joe Pine show came to the picture.
Speaker 2: But yeah you could. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: The the appreciation you could have for Joe Pine if you weren't in the cult is part of what makes him different from what came later. And in part two, Tom, we're going to talk about what came later, But for right now, we need to talk about the ship You've got to plug. Oh geez, all right, Well, yeah, if you.
Speaker 3: Uh, I've got a Patreon if you had ever a Patreon dot com slash game flun Employed, you can uh find our podcast stories me and David Bell. But also from Cracked. We do a bunch of shows every week. We do We just watched Hypecast, We do Fox Volders, a Maniac, Tom and Jeff watch Batman, Start Trek, the Next Futurama. A bunch of great shows you can check out there. I also do writing over at Collider and for some more News and for one nine hundred hot Dog, So you can look at all of those things.
Speaker 1: Check it out. Yeah, all right, and you can you know, you can go to hell. That's right, go to hell.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: When you get to Hell, tell Joe Pine that Robert sent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tell Joe Pine Robert Sinsha, and then kick him in the nuts and scream the name Rush Limbaugh. He won't know what you're saying. He died decades before that man was relevant.
Speaker 1: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.