Speaker 1: Hey, we're I'mstrong and Getty. We're featuring our podcast One more Thing. Find it wherever you find all your podcasts.
Speaker 2: So this blew my mind.
Speaker 3: The other day, my husband and I went to a restaurant and we're sitting there eating and I could just overhear the conversation happening next to me. It's a mom and her daughter who's maybe thirteen.
Speaker 1: Are you aby, Are you a person that can tune out people next to you or can't tune out people?
Speaker 2: I cannot? Yeah, and it drive me nuts.
Speaker 1: I easily can turn out conversations with me, but like I have friends and family members who can't, And you can't talk to them if there's someone else talking over there because they can't stop listening to them. It's I guess you're either built that way or you're not.
Speaker 4: I have a very hard time tuning out extraneous audio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same here, so and I couldn't tune this out at all. And again, she was maybe thirteen, and they're talking about something and they weren't agreeing, and this little girl goes shut up mom, and the mom didn't react and they continue to argue, and my jaw dropped because when I was raised telling my parents to shut up.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've never done that.
Speaker 3: I have never in my life told my mom or dad to shut up in a serious manner. There was one time my dad and I were joking around and I accidentally went to shut up, and I stopped dead in my tracks in fear because I was like, I know those words aren't uttered, right, But I know parenting is changing generation generationally?
Speaker 2: Is that okay? Now? Is telling your parents to shut up like a normal thing? Jack? Have your kids ever dared?
Speaker 5: One kid did once? But yeah, no, that was not okay. It did not go well, okay, kids, right?
Speaker 3: I just I don't know if there's if that's a shift that's happening where the way you talk to your parents is changing. But the way that the mom didn't react, I'm sitting there going what.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't take it in any tone, But was the tone kind of like the valley go oh, shut up?
Speaker 2: No, they were they were having a serious cone.
Speaker 5: Wow, shut your pie hole.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that certainly would not have washed in my house. I think one of the kids may have tried it at one point and it went very poorly. But how long is a generation? They usually say twenty years Yeah, I think, okay, well all right then, well, at least my oldest kid in your youngest kid. I raised my kids during the previous generation, which is kind of funny.
Speaker 5: Shut up still is not fly with anybody I know. I don't think.
Speaker 4: If it does, you need to take a parent in class.
Speaker 1: Okay, Like Kevin Hart's got a bit where he's talking about how it turns out he was mistaken but he thought his kid he was yelling down to his kid to do something, and he thought his kid yelled fu said the words to him, and he just like gets He's like what what?
Speaker 5: What just happened here?
Speaker 1: And the crowd just goes berserk about the idea of a kid saying that to their pres which I was happy to hear, but that was just like roundly seen as oh my god, a nuclear bomb just went off. That is not okay. How is he going to react to this. It turns out he mishurt his kid over something like that. But yeah, no, shut up is not okay any but any world I know of.
Speaker 3: Okay, that brings me some comfort because the kid, the girl was similar to your kid's age, and I was.
Speaker 2: But the fact that the mom I mean she just took it.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, that I feel bad for both of them because almost guaranteed that's a bad situation either happening or going to happen.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember back when I was raising my kids and would talk about it on the air, and people would call in or you know, write in with questions and that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: What I thought, And.
Speaker 4: A number of times I thought, my first piece of advice is get a time machine, because you're asking me, how do I undo fourteen years of getting it wrong? And yeah, you know, it's like after your fifth heart attack, saying your doctor.
Speaker 5: You know, Well, it's you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Oh, I came across a great thing on parenting that I was going to edit for the show because it's long, but I wish, wish, wish I'd read it when my kids were young. Jonah Goldberg actually wrote it. He's quoting a bunch of other people, but he's talking about how there's a new book by a developmental psychologist who had never heard of before, Alison Kropnik. But the name of the book is The Gardener and the Carpenter, and she points out that the very word parenting really only emerged in the fifties and didn't become popular until the seventies because until the fifties, people generally lived in their hometown near all their relatives and they would just observe and everybody's there to help, and you didn't have to learn about parenting.
Speaker 5: It was self evident.
Speaker 4: You saw it all the time, and your mentors were around you anyway. But then in the seventies, people got more isolated, more mobile, they moved away and that sort of thing, and you had these parenting experts pop up, and.
Speaker 5: Often with no kids or bad kids.
Speaker 4: Right, that's right, Yeah, yeah, there's plenty of that too. But missus Gropnick point says that parents began to think like carpenters, who have a clear idea in mind of what they're trying to achieve. They look carefully at the materials they have to work with, and it's their job to assemble those materials into a finished project. The project or product that can be judged by everyone against clear standards. Are the right angles, perfect, does the door work? Gropnik notes that the messiness and veriability are a carpenter's enemies. Precision and control are her allies. Measure twice, cut once, et cetera and her thing, and I've got to admit I don't want to get too deep into the because it's incredibly serious and will make me very sad. But I was influenced by a calmness to his a so called parenting expert, and he was very much of the carpenter school. And when I ran into a kid with special needs, specifically on the autism spectrum, that was the last thing I needed. The last thing I needed was a carpenter's point of view about parenting.
Speaker 5: And MS.
Speaker 4: Gropnik's thing here and I haven't read the book. Is a better way to think about child wearing is as a gardener. Your job is to create a protected and nurturing space for plants to flourish. It takes work, but you don't have to be a perfectionist. Weed the garden, water it, step back, and the plants will do their things unpredictably and often with delightful surprises. And it's not like a hippie dippy. Anything goes. She's talking about weeding the garden and doing what needs to be done.
Speaker 5: But you're not a carpenter or a gardener.
Speaker 6: What exactly is the carpenter's way. I don't know what you're talking about as far as the carpent.
Speaker 1: Would it be fair to say, it's just like, there's one way to do it, one size fits all to get this to come out right.
Speaker 4: Essentially, Yeah, it's cut and dried. There are a list of rules. You follow him, it'll be fine. As opposed to a garden, where it's much more about nurturing than forcing that it's absolutely inevitably going to go sideways at times. If you're a good carpenter, it doesn't go sideways. You can make cabinet after cabinet after cabinet, and if a mistake is or if something goes wrong, that's utterly unacceptable. Whereas as a gardener, something's always going to go wrong. That's what the job is, and you have to adapt.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The only thing I could say to your situation you overheard, Katie, because I've kind of lived this myself, is I've got one kid that's got all kinds of diagnosed things, and kinds of medication and all kinds of things. He has said and done things that if his brother did them, it would be the end of the world. But the kid that's got all these various situations. He's not always in control of everything he does. And also if you react a certain way you're about I mean, she might have a kid that if she had said anything to that kid at that moment about that, the table's getting flipped over. I mean, the police are coming that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Possibly, I don't even think of that possible circumstance that they're going.
Speaker 2: You know that that all could have had that problem.
Speaker 4: Final bit of wisdom learned too late, at least partially, is when I first became a youth sports coach. I think I went I can't remember where this came from, but it was pointed out to me that you don't coach all of your players the same.
Speaker 5: You coach all of your players the way they need to be coached.
Speaker 4: Some kids respond well to like the old school disciplined to bark at him some because some kids shut down, and you're not going to make him a better player a better person doing that. You got to figure out how to pick their locks. And parenting's a lot like that too. If you think it's as mathematical and cut and dried as carpentry, you're gonna do it wrong.
Speaker 1: So how did how did the things turn out with the woman and the kid who said shut up? Did they just eventually did they stop talking or did they eventually get up and leave?
Speaker 3: They went back and forth for like maybe another thirty seconds, and then their food came and I checked out of that conversation pretty much.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it shocked me.
Speaker 3: But I like that gardening analogy because that makes more sense that you're going to have more room to kind of wiggle when things go awry.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know about that mom dealing with her kid, but like, I only think about my parenting roughly eighty percent of the.
Speaker 5: Time all day long. So yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Now that's not to say there are no rules in gardening. For instance, if you feed gatorade to plants, they will die, as outlined hilariously in the classic movie slash documentary Idiocracy. All right, of course that it wasn't gatorade. It was called what Brono Brondo or Electrolytes, That's got Electrolytes.
Speaker 7: Jack Armstrong and Joe the Armstrong.
Speaker 2: And Getty Show.
Speaker 5: I came across this.
Speaker 4: Parable and I'm not exactly sure what to think about it. I think I know what to think, but I thought it was entertaining. The donkey told the tiger, the grass is blue. The tiger replied, no, the grass is green. The discussion became heated, and the two decided to submit the issue to arbitration. So they approached the lion, who apparently is in charge, of course, King of the jungle, King of the beasts. Sure, donkey, donkeys and lions coabitating, all right, and getting in arguments with tigers anyway. As they approached the lion on his throne, the donkey started screaming.
Speaker 5: Yours your it is. Isn't it true that grass is blue?
Speaker 4: The lion replied, if you believe it is true, the grass is blue. The donkey rushed forward and continued, the tiger disagrees with me. He contradicts me and annoys me. They should have thrown it. It's a microaggression. Please please punish him. He's triggering me exactly. Yeah, I got to rewrite this to make it even more sickening.
Speaker 5: Let's see.
Speaker 4: The king then declared speech, the tiger will be punished with three days of silence. Got to keep his giant bitoothed mouth shut. That's the pun. The donkey jumped with joy and went on his way content and repeating the grass is blue, the grass is blue. The tiger asks the lion, your majesty, why have you punished me? After all, the grass is green. The lion replied, you've known and seen that the grass is green. The tiger asked, so, why do you punish me. The lion replied, that has nothing to do with the question of whether the grass is blue or green. The punishment is because it is rating for a brave, intelligent creature like you to waste time arguing with an ass And on top of that, you came and bothered me with that question just to validate something you already knew was true. The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about the truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on discussions that make no sense. There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand others who are blinded by ego, hatred and resentment, and the only thing that they want is to be right, even if they aren't.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: Arguing with the actual donkey, the donctivist, if you will, I can.
Speaker 5: See why I won't. I can say I like it.
Speaker 4: A great example of this is when you have the two activist groups screaming at each other in the street over the barricades, and the poor cops are rolling their eyes thinking, oh my god, I hope I go home without getting hit over the head with something.
Speaker 5: That's stupid.
Speaker 4: But if the donkeys of the world have like taken over your public school, don't you have to as the lion point out that they're teaching the lion cubs perverse thing.
Speaker 1: Does it ever do any good? I'm not sure it ever does any good? Like you, of course it does. Well, you have to uh, well, you're not going to convince them. You just have more people, I guess. I guess the thing would be if you got other people like witnessing this and you've got to convince them. But convincing the one the one person, they're not going.
Speaker 5: To change their mind.
Speaker 4: Well, right, And that's what bothers me a little bit about this parable and it's not provoking anyway, is if you go if you as the tiger, for instance, saying confused adolescent girls should not be told they're actually little boys because puberty scary, especially for girls. If you are the tiger advocating that, and you go to the lion of the electorate, that's what you have to do. I mean, if it's just a story about animals in the forest at each other, then it's not a parable. It's just a mildly amusing story. But if it's a parable, it obviously has something to do with as a humankind. And if you've got the donkey pitching that the grass is blue and it's like infected the public schools and your kids come home with a dad, you're wrong, the grass is blue, and my teacher says you're a hater and a racist for saying that you gotta go to the lion, don't you.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I suppose, But I think the parable works for just individuals. Which I was picturing. I wasn't picturing the public square. Is just if I recognize the guy at the end of the bar is like the donkey about some topic, I'm not going to engage them.
Speaker 5: What's the freaking point?
Speaker 4: Oh, I agree with that one hundred percent Katie's thoughts on the donkeys.
Speaker 1: There's no place in time or space where donkeys and lions have been in the same orbit.
Speaker 4: Is there unless the lion's already full. Let alone talking donkeys and talking lions. Yeah, that's what I was stuck on. Yeah, having a conversation. This is baffling, exactly. It's a parable, you know, I'm skulls come on over my head. Yeah, you're right. It's an individual thing and fair enough.
Speaker 1: And very very true. Do not well, I know some people feel it seems like they enjoy it. There's no point in arguing with some people about some topics.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, and the fact that a lot of people just want to be quote unquote, they want to win the argument.
Speaker 5: They don't care if they're right. It works both ways too.
Speaker 1: I mean sometimes I've been I don't think I've ever said this, but I've been in conversation before where I could say, look, I've thought and read about this a lot. Nothing's going to change my mind. I mean, you can say it louder and slower if you like your opinion, but it's not going to change my mind.
Speaker 4: So I or you can hint that I'm an idiot for not agreeing with you, but you're really wasting your.
Speaker 5: Time and mine, you donkey.
Speaker 4: Interestingly enough, Kentucky blue Grass is not blue either it's slightly blue er.
Speaker 1: I was disappointed in that by a kid as a kid, not by a kid as a kid. When I heard about bluegrass, I thought, this is gonna be awesome. My dad got blue grass for the yard, didn't inform it. All the other kids are gonna be so jealous. Oh yeah, grass is blue is merged Simpson's hair.
Speaker 5: This is gonna be great.
Speaker 2: You guys just ruined my dad. I didn't know this.
Speaker 5: You didn't, all right?
Speaker 3: No, never been to Kentucky then, huh No, I have not, and I have all these dreams. I just pictured blue lawns everywhere.
Speaker 2: I pictured that too. Yeah, I pictured that.
Speaker 5: I just had it in my mind. It looked so fantastic. Turned on not to be true.
Speaker 2: Bluebirds are blue, blue.
Speaker 5: Berries are blue. There's grass is green? W t F.
Speaker 7: The Armstrong and Getdy Show. Yeah or Jack your show podcasts and our hot lenks.
Speaker 5: Wrong and Getty conveying our love panel.
Speaker 1: So you said love in Bloom or Crazy Stoker psychobiatch, Yes, exactly, Okay, but that.
Speaker 4: Question will be decided by the love panel. That's always the problem with that is just it's it's it's it's whether or not the other person is interested in you.
Speaker 1: All love like chasing someone's stuff is it's just so romantic and well received if the other person's interested, if they're not.
Speaker 4: And he never gave up, and now we've been married for fifty years, right beautiful.
Speaker 1: And I said no five times and I came out aside, and he was waiting by my car with a rose. If you kind of like the guy, that's just awesome. If you don't like the guy, you call the police and get a restraining order and maybe pepper spray him or send your brothers to beat him down. Yeah, rock exactly. Ah, yes, but this is a gal on a mission. Love and Bloom are crazy.
Speaker 4: Stalker psycho biac Let's find Out thirteen Michael.
Speaker 2: I saw this really cute.
Speaker 8: Guy at the grocery store the other day, so naturally I followed him to the checkout counter, and when he gave the cashier his credit card, I peeped it to see what his name was, and then I googled him and found his social media profiles, and I was able to tell that he was single. So I went through his friend's list, and I found his mother's page, and then I looked through his mother's page, and I saw that she was a member of this book club that's in my area. So I went to the book club meeting and I met his mom there, and she just thought I was so nice, and I brought it up randomly in conversation that I was single, and she let me know that she had a son that was single also that lived in the area, and maybe it would be cool for us to get together in chat sometime. So I gave her my number, which she gave to her son, and this morning he texted me and asked if I'd like to get together this weekend and do something that we're.
Speaker 2: Going to go on a date.
Speaker 3: Wait until he sees this video and goes, oh my god, who did I go on a date with?
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a pretty successful effort she made there.
Speaker 5: I don't know how it's gonna turn out.
Speaker 2: That's insane.
Speaker 5: Well, we have a little update for you.
Speaker 4: That young man is now dissolving in a is that psycho decided he wasn't worthy of living, and she is now wearing his skin as a garment and his fingerbones as a necklace.
Speaker 5: Follow up segment. All right, all right, so.
Speaker 1: Dude, run from her. God, she actually went to the book club meeting and got to know his mom. Oh wow, because.
Speaker 5: He's a cute guy.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, let's all right, recognize, I can see a dozen attractive women. There will be one that'll like make my brain explode for whatever, genetic, anthropology, anthropological who knows why it happens. Reason, doctor Freud had his own opinions, whatever, And maybe it was one of those. Maybe it was one of those. She saw him and just her jaw dropped. It was like, oh my god, for whatever reason. Now, certainly concocting some sort of can you help me out to the car with this or that would have been a hell of a lot more normal than the whole Sherlock Holmes routine. How troubled are we by the detective job and the roots she.
Speaker 1: Took man, the the going to the book club and meeting mom and getting to know her.
Speaker 5: That is that is a that's a different level.
Speaker 4: That really feels to me like something that ends up with somebody's cat getting murdered.
Speaker 1: So, Katie, you're more up on the modern world of how this is handling, how do we feel just like noticing the name on the credit card and doing a little research on online, so that.
Speaker 2: See, I think that it was.
Speaker 3: It got weird the second she looked at his credit credit card to get his number his name. I like Joe's idea, just hey, could you help me to the car with this, or like a regular approach. But I would be lying if I said that I hadn't met a guy and he had given me his name and I went home and looked him up.
Speaker 2: I've done that before, but not you know.
Speaker 3: To the extent to go meet his mom at a book club and then wear his skin later.
Speaker 2: That's weird. Michael thoughts, Yeah, pretty psycho, I wouldn't. I'm like Katie.
Speaker 6: I mean, maybe you look him up online, do a little background check, but that's it.
Speaker 5: Well, here's a little.
Speaker 3: He gives you his name, you don't look at his credit card to like kind.
Speaker 5: Of I don't this.
Speaker 2: She sounds like a serial killer to me.
Speaker 5: Well, here's a little surprise. We're going to talk to him a live now. He's chained the radiator in her basement. Help me, somebody's helped me.
Speaker 7: Gosh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the second part of this story, he goes missing and she's helping his mom look for him at that point.
Speaker 2: That's how these horror.
Speaker 5: Movies go she's putting up posters. Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: I've only become aware recently, and for reasons I won't get into about how all you need is somebody. If you have somebody's phone number, for instance, you can find out everything and it costs you like a buck online, and you got every place they've ever lived, every phone they've ever had, all their friends, it's family members. Yeah, it's it's horrifying. I mean, it's less worrisome as a dude, but man, if I'm a young woman knowing that any guy who gets a hold of my phone number at all now knows where I live and where my friends live and where I work and and everything, it's just, yeah, it's just different world for that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: Of course.
Speaker 1: On the other hand, buddy of mine pointing this out to me their day, and remember when we were younger, all of our names were in the phone book with our address, all of us, all of us. If you knew somebody's name, you could look up their address. And it's not like everybody got abducted every day, right, everybody's name was in the phone book with their address. Did the unlisted thing come later? Is that now unlisted existed, but I never knew a girl that was unlisted.
Speaker 5: Every girl she was writing the phone book. Okay, yeah, real rarity.
Speaker 4: Getting back to the whole meeting mom book class book club happened to randomly mention I was single and subterfuge. That just that, that is a willingness to be sneaky and duplicitous. That isn't her first rodeo, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I think we're a little bit into the modern attitude where everybody's so paranoid of what would you rather run into a bear or a man in the woods for a woman?
Speaker 5: I mean, just you saying?
Speaker 1: Was that before unlisted was available, like you wouldn't want your name listed in the phone everybody had their address the name in the phone book, and everybody was fine with it, and everybody wasn't paranoid thinking, oh my god, that's dangerous.
Speaker 5: A guy could look up my address. It worked out.
Speaker 1: I mean, so is culture that much worse or are we just way more paranoid than we Well?
Speaker 4: I would point out that if I had the hots for Jenny Smith, or even unless her name was true, her last name was truly rare and distinctive. There'd be eleven of them in the phone book. I couldn't tell which one. That was my experience at all, because I lived in small towns. Everybody everybody's name. There was only one Jenny Smith in every town. Everybody's address was right there. And I don't remember anybody abusing it, or anybody even talking about it being abused.
Speaker 5: No, nope.
Speaker 1: So what changed our parent the reality of stalkers or our paranoia.
Speaker 5: Both? I don't know. People aren't brave anymore.
Speaker 6: They don't want to just go and ask something, ask someone out right in person, you know, just hey, would you like to go out?
Speaker 2: Would you like to get some coffee?
Speaker 4: That's like old skills take developing, though, and we're not letting our kids develop those social skills. I had chatted up so many girls by the time I started college. Just the idea of oh my god, I can't I can't say hello to or.
Speaker 5: It was just foreign to me.
Speaker 4: It was not like I have some sort of bold master gamesman or anything. It was just so familiar to me. You know, hey, how you doing well?
Speaker 5: Please?
Speaker 2: Phones and internet have completely smashed that skill.
Speaker 4: I think, you know, this is a weird grab, but it popped in my head for some reason, I can't remember why. The other day I was thinking about the old like the first Bob Seeger song with the what was the name of his band, Bob Seger and.
Speaker 5: The Silber bullibin No.
Speaker 4: No, that was before he was a solo artist, when he was a Detroit rocker, but a rambling, gambling MANU the line is ain't good looking, but you know, I ain't shy, ain't afraid to look a girl in the eye. And hey, I've always kind of liked that line because he was a regular guy. But b we've got a couple of generations who are terrified to look a girl in the eye and say, hey, how you doing.
Speaker 5: So that gets back. Do you think.
Speaker 1: If she she found him alluring enough to go through all that work, she should have made her move right then?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's equipped with the tools to do that. Of course, if.
Speaker 4: You're an all attractive young woman, all you have to say is so I see you like cereal.
Speaker 2: That's good enough ice breaker right there, exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just I have a real issue with her going on a date with him after having done all of this and acting like it didn't go down like that.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, well yeah, like, oh, we just.
Speaker 3: So happened to meet I met your mom at book club. Like the whole the star of whatever relationship this might be is going to be bs anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a decent point there. You can't start with a lie and then go from there.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, this ends with a dead cat trust Yeah, if.
Speaker 1: You if you uh yeah, if you're out with somebody and everything like that, and then she mentions, yeah, I was talking to your mom. Wait a second, and you know my mom? Why do you know my mom? This is weird.
Speaker 3: Okay, well let me tell you how this went down. So I saw your credit card at the store. I enjoy the book club that your mom is in. You're a twenty three year old woman. You're in a book club with a bunch of sixty four year olds.
Speaker 5: Why I like to read.
Speaker 1: Pretending you want to read the Bridges of Madison County so you can get to meet this old woman.
Speaker 5: That is going too far.
Speaker 7: Jack Armstrong and Joe The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 4: This is the Armstrong and Any Show featuring our podcast one more Thing, get It wherever you like to get podcasts.
Speaker 1: My son, who's fourteen and graduating from eighth grade.
Speaker 5: This week graduating.
Speaker 1: So he actually asked, why do they have eighth grade graduation? Well, I don't know the real answer, but where I grew up, I thought it was because a lot of people stopped going to school at eighth grade. There was a good chunk of the class that or a particular religion, the Mennonites, they stopped at eighth grade. So I thought that's why we had eighth grade graduation because they were done. But then found out they have eighth grade graduations other places. So why does eighth grade graduation exist?
Speaker 4: You know, I've I actually heard a really interesting argument about this once, where the one point of view was, hey, they've finished a level of school. Let's say and let's show them, Hey, education is important. We're proud of you, a good job. Let's reinforce wanting to stay in school and pass everything, which I think is a perfectly reasonable point of view. The opposition was a woman who was saying, they haven't accomplished anything. They're getting the very basics of education their kids. They've got several more years of mandatory schooling. They haven't accomplished anything. They barely gotten started quit with the ceremonies. Too many ceremonies.
Speaker 2: I lean more towards that point of view.
Speaker 4: But anything that would less than the number of ceremonies I have to go to, I'm in favor of.
Speaker 3: Yes, my mom has a picture of my Is it my kindergarten graduation or my preschool graduation? I don't remember it. I'm wearing a robe. I know she had to buy a robe. Yeah, I have a little green graduation cap and robe. And they took pictures that she obviously paid for because we have it.
Speaker 2: So I'm thinking, you've got money sucked out of that.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah we did.
Speaker 1: We had to do kindergarten graduation and there was like a certificate and stuff. But I don't think there was no robe involved.
Speaker 4: But you know, I hate to blame the gals for this, but it reminds me of little seven year old kids in full uniform playing Little League and they have opening ceremonies and closing ceremonies every season, and the parade of the teams and lots of pictures.
Speaker 5: And the rest of it.
Speaker 4: Back in the day, you just went and played ball. There's no opening ceremony. What the hell do you have an opening ceremony. First game of the year is on Saturday, go play it. That was the opening ceremony, play ball.
Speaker 1: So my eighth grader has the graduation is actually on Thursday, and you're supposed to wear a tie, So we have to go out and get a tie at some point this week. He's gonna wear my shirt and my pants because we're the same size. Oh, and it's gonna be hot. Uh, he can't wear my shoes because he has bigger feet than me. But so I have to get him some dress shoes and a tie. And it is gonna be hot. But the night before there's a big dance, the very first dance of his life.
Speaker 5: Oh boy.
Speaker 1: And he said the other day, I sure hope there's chairs because I plan to sit.
Speaker 3: It's so funny the difference between guys and gals with this one, Like I was so excited and you want to share to sit?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I know I know that that's true. I'm sure the girls are very very excited. I was gonna talk I haven't talked to him about that. I hint it ab, but I was gonna talk to him specifically about and I haven't completely crafted it into my head yet. And it probably won't do any good anyway, cause it's different when you're fourteen than when you're older and looking back on being fourteen, but man, oh man, oh man, there's so many things that I chickened out of or kind of wish I had done or whatever. You only live once. You only freaking live once. That girl over there, you kind of like, go ask her to dance? Good, God, I gotta figure out how I want to present it. Not like that, but I mean, looking at talking to my eighth grade me, I mean, just life is short.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one go round. Yeah, here's here's what.
Speaker 4: You gotta do. Maybe I'll offer this service. I'll come over with half a dozen middle school young ladies, have your boy ask each one of them to dance, and each one of them will say thanks, but no, I'm not interested. And by the end of maybe we'll even do two rounds. By the end of it, that kid'll be like, that's fine whatever.
Speaker 1: Oh they just get used to get it, used to be rejected a couple of times, or they might be completely demoralized.
Speaker 4: But uh no, maybe have that thirteenth one say yeah, I'd love to.
Speaker 5: Did you ask so Mandy to dance?
Speaker 6: Michael yeah, I think I did. I usually got rejected, so it's okay.
Speaker 5: I didn't ask anybody to dance.
Speaker 1: Somebody asked me to dance for the last slow dance of the night, and I've never been more nervous in my life. I can still feel the sweat running down my armpits as we were slow dancing. I was so nervous and scared.
Speaker 5: But why wouldn't you?
Speaker 1: I mean, and I kind of wanted to dance, but I was scared at one of being rejected and two of dancing in front of other peace people. It's just God, when you get older, it just seems like, why would you freaking care? But that's just the perspective of age. You can't you know, you can't inject that into someone.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and dances are so small in our lives now. It's such a big thing to them, right.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, of course it is.
Speaker 1: And I'm you know, so on one hand, I don't know about his friends, but it's probably true for his friends too. On one hand, he's I hope they have chairs there. I might bring my own camping chair just so I make sure possessed it.
Speaker 5: But he has.
Speaker 1: Uh, we got a haircut two weeks ago, and he wasn't quite happy with that, so we went and got another haircut, and uh, you know, he's been picking out his clothes. So I mean, you wouldn't get two haircuts and pick out your clothes and all this sort of stuff if you didn't care at all. So you care, but you just don't want to look like you care, because I'm sure none of your friends are looking like they care. As the boys again, as the girls you get, you can be as thrilled as you want to be.
Speaker 5: Lots of exclamation points if.
Speaker 4: Your Yeah, I played the records at the dances I did in middle school. I volunteered for that. I think it's one of the reasons I became a musician. If I'm playing, you can't ask me to dance. I'm all the high school dances. I was the DJ, which kind of got me out of it. I got to be there, but I had a job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but uh yeah, so I don't know. I'm gonna try to craft some sort of go for it type speech see how it lands. But I can just think of several examples of like why why didn't you, Why didn't you do this? Why didn't you do that? There's no downside. The worst case scenario is nothing. The well, actually a worst case scenario is not doing anything and then wishing the rest of your life you.
Speaker 5: Would have tried. So yeah, hear here. So that'said.
Speaker 1: He bought a fake rolex off of Amazon. He totally cares. He totally cares. He does cool to not care, but yeah, he cares. He bought this fake rolex. It's forty dollars and it's so shockingly great. I mean it's really really good. It's like really heavy and nice and yeah, very cool. I think you may be admitted to a federal offense.
Speaker 4: Harboring a known importer of repbove the counterfeit Goods got it off Amazon.
Speaker 7: The Armstrong and Getty Show, Yeah Morga Grgio podcasts and our hot links and