Speaker 1: For whatever reason, the Dodgers seem to reinvent guys where they didn't have success in other players. They come to LA and they find themselves again.
Speaker 2: Not gonna lie, I am what not gonna lie? Ilana? I know you're an Arizona spring training person, but I do that's bull crap. We have Arizona. We don't have Florida in between breaks. It gets crap. I'm sorry, producer lady. She might have to she might get the boot for this because it's just Arizona. Where's Florida? I need to see.
Speaker 3: We're on TV and nobody knows what you're talking about there.
Speaker 2: Okay, well on the other place for viewed on YouTube and our breaks. Sorry, now let's talk about that.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Okay, Well my thing was right now post of Dodgers territory. Sometimes on foul territory. We did just have Scott Bis on the show, and we were like, it's probably gonna be a tough act to follow. Let's get Alana because she's going to bring a smile to everyone's face. So you are given the next seat. How you doing.
Speaker 4: I'm good. Good to be with you, guys.
Speaker 1: I agree with everything that you're saying. I've been saying this for decades. The ownership group needs to spend money. And I obviously I know that everyone thinks I'm biased because I'm a Dodger girl. But every team of the thirty can spend money. Maybe not to the level at the Dodgers camp, but every single team can spend money.
Speaker 4: They're just choosing not to do so.
Speaker 5: But happy to be with you.
Speaker 4: I wish I was in.
Speaker 1: Spring training right now. I'm heading down there in a few weeks because the weather in Massachusetts sucks.
Speaker 3: Yes, you chose in the Northeast sucks.
Speaker 2: You chose to live there. You got a little at It's someone else's nine degrees here. It's freezing in Florida. It's so cold I put a jacket on this one.
Speaker 3: No man, all right, So let's get to busy. We got ten minutes for team storylines for the Dodgers. Of course, you can hear a lot more on Dodgers' Territory, which airs multiple times a week. But let's set up the storylines here. First, are we We've got four definites that we're going to hit here, so and this team win back to back titles. I mean a lot of trolls on social media think the season's over already. So we'll ask a lota what that takes. Two way show, Hey time fifty to fifty last year at the plate, but now coming back to pitch. I'm curious too to see if a lot of things that'll affect his bat starting pitching shuffle, it's going to be fun. Who's going to be on the mound? Who's the starting five or really six? Obviously for the Dodgers six men rotation. Eventually, once you get through those opening off days in the first few weeks and then Mooky back to shortstop, what does that mean? All right, let's start at the top. We haven't seen back to back champs since the Yankees a quarter century ago. What does it take for the Dodgers to do this? Based on covering this game on a national level for years, Alana, and at least for me, I've been fooled many times where I'm like, oh, this team's really good, they could do it again, and they almost always crash.
Speaker 1: I think it has to be healthy, right, You have to have a team that stays healthy everybody at the right time, at the most important time of the season.
Speaker 4: Do the Dodgers have the talent to.
Speaker 1: Go back to the World Series, of course, and I think anything but a World Series appearance is going to be a disappointment for this club. I think if you look at the talent and the roster and the money that was spent in this offseason and last offseason obviously was sho Hey Otani. If the Dodgers don't get at least two or three or possibly four more World Series appearances slash championships in the next ten years, then everything that they did was likely a disappointment. This is a team, guys, as you know better than anybody, that is built for October. Barring some sort of catastrophic occurrence, the Dodgers will be in the postseason. If you look at the starting lineup there, you can see that. Obviously you have the big guns at the top with sho Hey Moki, Freddie Taoskar, thank goodness he is back in the four hole, Max Munsey, then Will Smith, and then the bottom part of the order Michael confordo knew to the team, Haisan Kim new to the team as well. Tommy Edmund given an extension early on in the offseason. This is a hell of a team and they have unbelievable arms, and they have unbelievable top to bottom as far as the lineup is concerned. But you need to make sure that these guys stay healthy throughout the year. Last year, was very concerned about the Dodgers' starting staff going into the season, and it proved to be a narrative all season long, and I believe very heartily that they did not have enough starting pitching. Dave Roberts ends up doing the best job of his managerial tenure to work through a starting staff that was decimated by injuries, going to the young guys that didn't have any big league experience, working that elevator between TRIPLEA and the big leagues as well as any other team. They made it to the postseason, got through the Padres in the first round of the playoffs, which to me was harder than the Yankees in the World Series, and found a way to win using all of the different pieces that they had. But that takes a lot of people willing to buy into what the Dodgers are doing. It takes a lot of people being healthy at the right time. It takes all of that NBA load management that we've been hearing so much about to work these guys at the right time, get them built up where they're supposed to be, give them the rest that they're supposed to be, which is going to be a challenge when you have three Japanese born pitchers in your starting rotation. When show Hey comes back to pitch the big leagues in May.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be interesting.
Speaker 1: But the Dodgers have the resources, the capability, and the buy in to be able to do so and go back to back and win another championship because who honestly, all things being equal, if everybody stays healthy and they're performing to their capabilities, who's gonna stop them?
Speaker 2: Nobody? Nobody, Homer, But that's no. I know you're not, but I'm gonna ask you. I'm gonna ask about show Ay in a second, and it's pitching. But I went on their depth chart, your psych injuries, injuries, injuries. Okay, So they have ten ten starting pitchers listed, Blake Snell two, Cy Young's Yamamoto whatever he won in Japan a lot glassnew is one of the nastiest dudes in the league, show Hey. Depending on what they do with them. Sazaki is supposed to be the best pitcher ever from Japan. Gonsolin. We've seen what he can do when he's healthy. Kershaw, first ballot Hall of Famer Dustin May if he's healthy, gosh, I mean he's nasty. Landaak did stuff for him last year. Eva Chien did something for stuff for him. That's ten okay, So okay, Let's say they lose three of those guys. They's top seven. Most teams don't even have five, hardly, right, So, and they'll go out and get someone else if they have to. So it's an incredible It's just it's just too much, too much, it's too much.
Speaker 1: It's an it's an insane amount of talent. Aj I agree with you on that. But it's also a testament to the fact that people want to go to LA. I mean, for obvious reasons. LA is a destination, and this is an ownership group that puts their money where their mouth is. I mean, how many teams can be sponsored by their own ownership group with the patches on the on their jerseys they're sponsored by Guggenheim. Guggenheim owns the team. I mean, that's just a very interesting flex. But you have a guy that was willing to tie his contract one of the best players that we've ever seen, a generational player in sho Hey Otani tie his contract to President of Baseball Operations Andrew Friedman, So if Andrew goes someplace.
Speaker 5: Else, sho Hey has the opportunity to move.
Speaker 1: Also, that is an unbelievable amount of confidence in the front office. And let's think about this for a hot second. There's only seven hundred and eighty players that are good enough in the world to start a season on a major league roster. I think you would beg to differ that. There's a lot of really, really, really smart businessmen, right. I think more people can be owners than can be major league baseball players. The talent is with the player, and if the player is choosing where he wants to go and quote unquote creating these super teams like they do in NBA, that says something about the Dodgers. That says something about the culture that they have created that people want to play there. Tay Oscar wanted to come back to LA. Keik obviously wanted to come back to LA. Clayton is going to be one of the only guys to finish his career in the same exact uniform he's there he's obviously on the sixty dayil now, but he's going to come back, perhaps in June, earlier than most people anticipated. This is a destination now. The Dodgers ownership group puts players on the field to give them the most amount of success. For whatever reason, the Dodgers seem to reinvent guys where they didn't have success in other players. They come to LA and they find themselves again. Blake Snell, two time Cy Young Award winner, Tyler Glass now wanted.
Speaker 4: To be there.
Speaker 1: It's just a culture that they've cultivated. It's a winning culture. I'll never forget when Jock Peterson was in the clubhouse at Campbelback Ranch three or four years ago when AJ Pollock was a free agent and decided to sign with the Los Angeles Dodgers. Before a poor thing he was traded to the White Sox. No disrespect Aj. He comes into the Camelback Ranch clubhouse and Jack Peterson, all of the outfielders were together in the in terms of their locker positioning.
Speaker 4: He said, welcome to the big leagues.
Speaker 1: And this was already after Aj had been in the big leagues with the Arizona Diamondbacks for quite some time. It's just a different culture in LA and although it's going to be very difficult to repeat, this team certainly has the mentality and the resources and the one to do so.
Speaker 2: Okay, so real quick, Alana, what's show are you going to give them in twenty five because I don't know that fifty but I'm not talking about offensively but pitching wise. We saw them throw a bullpen. They're gonna be obviously extra cautious of them, but they can't send them on a rehab assignment, So how are they gonna handle this? It's gonna start, and then they're gonna have one of their ten other starters piggyback them and pick up those extra innings because this is gonna be one you talked about Dave robertson his best job last year, but Howie handles not only show Hey, but Suzaki and some of the other guys that are coming off injuries, is gonna be kind of a tough thing for him.
Speaker 4: No question about it.
Speaker 1: And I think that's gonna be the biggest puzzle piece of all AJ is how are these guys going to manage the workload?
Speaker 4: Build up?
Speaker 1: The start is Dustin may goan to be a starter, or is Dustin Megan to be in the bullpen. I want Dustin May and Tony Gonsolin as a bullpen piece because we have so many starting arms in that But you're gonna have to work up these guys and build them up to the point where they can possibly be starters just because of injury. We know that Tyler Glass, now, who I love, is injury prone. We don't know what Blake's I mean, Blake Still's probably gonna I have to shoulder the majority of innings for this Los Angeles Dodgers team. I mean, this is a guy that has realistically and historically posted pretty much every fifth day. I mean, you look at the Dodgers' starting staff. In the first month, it's gonna be run as a five man rotation, whereas all along we thought it was gonna be six men. But because of the off days in March and April, you can run it as a five man rotation until show Hay gets back in all.
Speaker 4: Likelihood in May.
Speaker 1: Now that being said, they're gonna be incredibly cautious with him, right Obviously they're going to do so because they have the arms to not push him. Plus he also has a seven hundred million dollar price tag to make sure that they don't push him, and you're probably gonna have to save show Hey from show Hey and make sure that as a training staff, you're making sure that he's ready to go. He had that first bullpen session. That was the first time fans and the media got to see shohe Otani in a Dodger's uniform as a pitcher, and he looked really good. He only threw like, what fourteen pitches. It was all two seam four seam fastballs, but he looked really good. Dave Roberts was pleased with what he saw, the way the ball was coming out of his hand. They're really good at being able to manage the workload of all of these different guys, and I have to say they're very honest with them too, in terms of the communication with the training staff and how things are going. I mean, Shobey, if you paid attention to the bullpen session, he was having active conversations with everybody that was watching in terms of the training staff, Dave Andrew Friedman, those types of things.
Speaker 5: So they'll be very cautious. But the I mean the luxury that the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Have, they have so many really good aces in the starting staff, including Roki Sasaki, who obviously is a non roster in vitee, but everybody knows he's going to be on the big league roster when camp opens.
Speaker 6: All right, now you have to listen to the wording so that we get this right. Can Mookie Betts play a championship level shortstop or is he better suited for the team and right field?
Speaker 1: I believe Mooki Betts is a better Gold Glove right fielder. But when you have Taoscar Hernandez in the outfield, when you have Michael Confordo now in the outfield, when you have Todmy Edmond who can play all over the place as your center fielder, Mookie Betts, who is very selfless, is going to be back at shortstop. Can he play a championship caliber shortstop? Absolutely? I think Mooky above anybody, is the best athlete, period, regardless of what the position is that he's playing. He's the best athlete on the field, not just for the Dodgers, but probably.
Speaker 4: In all Major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: He needs to cut down on the defensive woes, but obviously that's something that he knows that he needs to work on. We had conversations on Dodgers' territory with Dino Ebel, who is obviously the Dodgers longtime third base coach. Now he's you know, they're kind of switching roles with Chris Woodward being back in the mix, but Dino is going to be handling the outfielders now, Chris Woodward is going to be handling the infielders again. So both Chris Woodward and Dino Ebel have commented on the extra work that Mooki has already put in knowing that he's going to be back in the infield as the Dodgers shortstop.
Speaker 5: Will he improve over where he was last year as the shortstop?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: It's m mookie Bet that we're talking about. Is he a natural born shortstop? No, But the man is a right field you know, gold glove right fielder. He's going to be fine at shortstop and he doesn't have to shoulder all of the load because the Dodgers in field, obviously h is pretty good in terms of who they can maneuver and all of the moving parts of that infield.
Speaker 3: Well a lot more every single week, multiple times per week from Alana and Clint Pius plus Vip guests. I mean, they crush it. They get everybody.
Speaker 2: He'll beat some of these Dodger guests with us.
Speaker 1: As soon as soon as you get me backstage at Morgan walland like you promised, I'll.
Speaker 4: Get you all the guests. All the guests well canceled.
Speaker 2: They knew you were coming and got canceled.
Speaker 4: You listen.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, I'm going at to Gillette in August August twenty second. If you can get me behind the scenes there, then then I'll get you all the guests that you want.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I have to be there though, that's the problem.
Speaker 4: That's fine. You can stay with us, you.
Speaker 2: Know, if I really want to go to Gillette. I actually did go to Jeete once. It was nice.
Speaker 6: He always stays in five star hotels, Okay, Hona, so he doesn't stay in guest bedrooms, especially houses with Catcher's mits on their mantle.
Speaker 5: I married a Catcher.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I mean, I don't know what that says about me, but it is what it is.
Speaker 3: There's so much Catcher talk going on here right now. I'm just on the outside. But you can get a lot more on Dodgers' territory. I mean recent guests include far Anxiety, Andrew Friedman. Basically everybody currently on the team too has been on the show as well. Want to good to see it. We'll see on Dodgers territory later.
Speaker 4: All right, guys, take care. Good to talk to you as always, See you soon.