Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys, springing live from.
Speaker 1: The Dallas Cowboys World Quarters at the.
Speaker 2: Star in Frisco.
Speaker 3: Tech Borders here.
Speaker 1: That's got kit takeown.
Speaker 4: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: It's a wonderful Wednesday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and.
Speaker 2: The s Beat Sea Studio. Welcome in, everybody. We've got the whole cast and crew ready for you to rock right today.
Speaker 3: We've got Patrick Nocy, Walker, Shots Rodriguez, Isaiah stand Back, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman's so glad you're with us. Welcome in, every buddy. Is the Cowboys Now. Turned the page to Week nine of the NFL season in the Arizona Cardinals coming up on Monday Night football.
Speaker 2: Yeah you weren't here for the last Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Hello, guys, football fame. He's wearing good morning.
Speaker 1: We were today as you guys see back in the building and I am representing my people my fan Yeah, talking Cowboys shirt, and we always tell you guys are fan moly that if you guys send us some gear, we will rock it proudly. We've proven it time and again, time and time again. And as of my return today, the first thing I grabbed because it was a little chili outside was finally crack exactly to Dallas. I put on my talking Cowboy shirt that was gifted to us by one of our great fans. So I appreciate it. I'm rocking it proudly. Yes, giving me nice and warm.
Speaker 2: I believe that's nice on you, sir. Believe that was coal that that got the shirts coal? Uh.
Speaker 3: And I believe we may have some hoodies on the way. Somebody heard your challenge.
Speaker 6: Initial, let's absolutely go. I believe if it's for this type of weather done.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, outside Suez is all about the hoodies. Oh yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 4: You gotta be safe always, Isaiah.
Speaker 2: What you're you're looking at? Film? I'm watching films? Yeah, of course, yeah, it is, Yes, it is. You like hoods, don't you absolutely told you there it is. I didn't tell you life. You're terrible. You're terrible. All right, We've got plenty to get to. Today. We're gonna have QB vision coming up in the next Seaton.
Speaker 3: Who knows it, And we're gonna talk about how Dallas could possibly rebound on the offensive side of the football.
Speaker 2: Today. Patrick, Hello, Patrick, it's time for some news and notes.
Speaker 4: It is time for there is so well, let's start with Well, Isaiah wasn't here for the bad, So I.
Speaker 1: Gotta I gotta reiterate the bad.
Speaker 2: What I miss.
Speaker 4: Your safety position is in shambles. We lost another one for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: So no Elijah, no Donovan Wilson, no one Ye Thomas.
Speaker 2: Mali Cooker, Malik Hooker.
Speaker 1: Get so we're.
Speaker 2: Missing for safeties. That's not that bad. We still have you. Yeah, one, Actually, you know what, I take that back. We have to you have one.
Speaker 1: Who's the other?
Speaker 2: I consider Ready Steward of safety.
Speaker 1: Ready Stewart's playing, Ready Steward have a choice now, Well, the thing is check me out and watching it, watching the games. Ready Stewart. I don't consider him to be a good cover corner. Yeah, I consider him to be a good cover safety though, And he's physical, and he's physical, he's gonna as well. He's as a cornerback. But it's just my, my, my perspective. As a cornerback, he's a cover guy. But as a corner he's a ooh, hitter. He come up and hits you. He's the head hunter. As a safety, he remains a hitter, and then.
Speaker 2: He becomes a pretty good cover.
Speaker 1: Guy because you don't expect your safeties to be cover guys.
Speaker 2: Everybody's not Darren Woodson. Okay, So either way, he's ready, he's ready, and he's a steward of those dog gifts.
Speaker 1: Almost almost close letter, buddy letter. No, so kudos of that. So you still have Marqu's Bell and ready Stewart.
Speaker 4: You have Marquis Bell. It's ready steward until further notice, is actually a cornerback. But I see what you're saying, what do you what do you finish the game?
Speaker 2: This might be that's what I said.
Speaker 4: Until further notice. I mean, you do have Julius wood on the practice squad. But and I said this, I wrote a piece on the dot com dot com Sorry, I come on, come on talking about I wrote a piece on the dot com back yesterday with detail the safety issue as far as depth and injuries, but also four free agent options that I would be willing to peek at, and some honorable mentions that I would not give a look at.
Speaker 1: Go when do you expect all four of these injured safeties to return?
Speaker 4: So Malik Hooker he qualifies for twenty one day practice window to open this week point one, it's not going to happen. Her shotenheimer, okay, So he needs more time to rehab that injured toe.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: Big to not a great sign, you know, So we'll see if he's ready after the bye. Marquise Bell healthy one year, Thomas TBD. He's dealing with my grains and they're still trying to figure out what treatment works for him. Now, keep in mind, I had this conversation with one Yay and I was wondering if this was something that he's dealt with most of his life, and he said no, These migrains are a brand new to him.
Speaker 1: So that means from.
Speaker 4: His capacity, he doesn't know how to treat them at all.
Speaker 1: He doesn't know how he you know.
Speaker 4: What what the upswing looks like if when he's completely out of the woods versus when another one is going to hit. So he's been battling that and they've been trying several different types of treatment to the point where they have him practicing and like specialized goggles. So yeah, so because the light sensitivity, so they're they're trying, but we don't know because he doesn't know, they don't know.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't have.
Speaker 2: To when they pop up like that.
Speaker 3: It's different for everybody, right, And I've had family members deal with them, and they're not trying to play NFL football games in front of the bright lights and the crowd and gotten all of yes, like all of that just seems like it would ramp it up significantly. And if you don't know how to treat it yet, which there's ways to treat it, maybe, yeah, I mean there's one that's one way.
Speaker 6: But if it's a new developing thing that he's just figured out, he's going to what's going to make to figure.
Speaker 2: Out what's going to make the most effective. That's what they treatment.
Speaker 4: They're going down the list of treatments to figure out what works for one. Yay, Thomas, So we will see. He is very much TV and as we have this conversation fifty to fifty every single week until he's one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Frustrating for him, Yeah, because walking around you're healthy, right, and you feel like you can contribute, but then you have these scene spurs where it's.
Speaker 2: Just like you just can't function. Can I can imagine his frustration?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he is quite that, you know, just looking at him.
Speaker 4: He's trying to remain upbeat and good spirited, but you can see the frustration and you can see him trying to fight being defeated by it. So and so for one yea and hopefully he gets through that soon, but he's we don't know, like he could very well play this week, but we just we just don't.
Speaker 1: And I hope that his teammates are being understanding. I really, I'm sure they are too. We're gonna assume that, right. I just hope that they are. Because the reason why I bring that up because injuries like that, right or whatever you want to call.
Speaker 2: Them a mess, you can't see them, right.
Speaker 1: So like when your teammates see you with a dislocated shoulder, they see you with cues and somebody okay, okay, yeah, he's he's injured, right, he can't go, right. But then when you have things like that where it's like kind of judgment because bade a spade We've all been through sports and we've all seen people who have been injured.
Speaker 2: Right, It's not like he's this defense is playing terrible. He's like, you know, so you give him the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 1: And I'm giving him all the benefit of the doubt because I believe that he's a true competitor. But there are always going to be people who look at you and be like m.
Speaker 4: Also, you also have to keep in mind the context of the whole situation. One Yeay Thomas is someone who climbed the ranks from the undrafted through the practice squad. His entire rookie season. He scratched and clawed to get reps. Last thing a last The last thing he wants to do is to say it doesn't matter how anyone feels about how the defense is being coordinated or how the unit is playing as a whole. One Yay Thomas wants reps. And I'll add one more thing to it. He's also on a one year deal right now. He's not like Keith Bell did not He did not get the reup that Marquis Bell.
Speaker 1: He got a one year reup.
Speaker 4: He needs eat these games, any one, right for anyone that's you know would even remotely accuse one Yay of taking He's not taking days off, reps off.
Speaker 1: He needs every single one.
Speaker 4: So that's why he's so frustrated, but so TBD on him.
Speaker 1: Possibly after the batleo of leek Cooker TVD on Donovan Wilson elbow shoulder injury. We have to look at the practice reports beginning tomorrow, I believe, because it's Monday night football, so they'll be back on the practice field today. But I don't know that they're required to submit a toy till tomorrow. I think it's tomorrow, so we won't know where he's turning until tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Just to add on to that, right, kind of put that put a ball on this.
Speaker 1: Imagine working twenty plus years of your life for one goal, for one opportunity, right, you put eminem on it. Just just.
Speaker 2: Seriously, he's week twenty plus years, right, you scratched.
Speaker 1: You've called everything you just said, climbing the ranks, going through small school, all that stuff just to get to the opportunity where guys have gotten injured and now it's you and you are the man of that man and then my takes you up like the amount of frustration like, I feel for him, and I hope that they can find a solution sooner than later. But put it in perspective for people at home, understanding how frustrated this could be. You literally work your life twenty plus years. How I road he is for this one chance and it's finally here. Things move out the way it works out, so that you're that guy. And then from old King Migraine, you.
Speaker 6: Have the oldest serious thing that you've never experienced before.
Speaker 2: Physically, I'm fine, Like my extremities are all good.
Speaker 4: I can get my guaranteed started for at least four games.
Speaker 1: When when Elik went to IR and just shut down. And that's not just for the Cowboys. I know he plays an under contract for the Cowboys. This is unnoticed for the other thirty one teams. Yeah, so like I really feel for him.
Speaker 2: That sucks. Man.
Speaker 4: So right now again, you got Marque's bell and you have ready that you can try it's safety. You have Julius Wood who is the safety, he's on the practice squad. You have Zion Childrens whom you can try it's safety. Because I mean, I get it, I'm saying Julius with them. But this also tells you. But even with Julius Wood, he was a standout in his first training camp with the Cowboys undrafted guy in twenty twenty four, the Cowboys signed following the draft. He stood out, and then they waved him with the numbers cut down playing the numbers game, and the Tennessee Titans claimed him. He spent that rookie season with the Titans, and now he's back with the Cowboys on the practice squad. Strong potential on Julius Wood. But as I said in the article, if you're depending on Julius Wood, who has zero starts and only two combined tackles and no other stats on his NFL line, you're in a bad way. If you're in a real bad way. So there are some free agents out there that I'm willing to look at. Go check it out on dot com.
Speaker 3: There are a couple of people in the chat that are asking about Zion Childress. He's a corner back now, yeah he's a corner Yeah he's not gonna play saying.
Speaker 6: And I just want to just tell that they feel really highly about Ready Sewart. I mean just claiming him for one thing, and then what you've seen from him in Spurs.
Speaker 1: I love him as safety, even when he was playing corner. I'll say he's a safety go.
Speaker 3: I do remember having that conversation and you you at one point said, if you're gonna play him at corner, play him at the nickel, because that's where he's at his best in the box.
Speaker 2: In the box and.
Speaker 3: He's able to play downhill. When you put them in space, especially whenever it's sitting in the underneath and in the flats, that's when things get a little bit dicey with Stewart. You push them back, you give them room to work, and then all of a sudden he's got a little bit more toward his skill set.
Speaker 2: And I think we've seen maybe that same thought. Probably he lays some hits last week too. Yeah, you lay some hits week. He's a hitter.
Speaker 3: He'll come down and hit you. Even when he was playing corner, which is what you need. You didn't have a whole lot of lead up time to make a hit.
Speaker 1: But even still, can you get down.
Speaker 2: That's the only that's to be physical. That's the only problem.
Speaker 1: I don't say problem, but that's the only thing that I see as a potential problem for the Cowboys based upon their current availability. Julius will hit her, Marque's Bill hitter ready, Stewart hit her. These are all strong safe. These guys are not free steating. They're not true free safeties. Now that you can ask them to play free safety, but that's not their true position based upon their skill set. All three of those guys that you have available to you are true strong safety.
Speaker 3: How would you combat that from a scheme standpoint? Because if you're talking single high coverage and you're having that the over the top guy, you don't really have that right now, how do you try and combat that? If you're mad Eberflus and you look at that defensive side with what you have available.
Speaker 2: To you, you don't have. There's nothing that you can truly put out. That's that's my point.
Speaker 4: That's why you read the article on the duck com not and you go when you get one of these, Because I mean, we could say the name just the Simmons is out there just waiting.
Speaker 2: For a lot of people have started throwing that name.
Speaker 4: Just waiting for a call. He's one Marcus May's out there just waiting for a call. Now, are well either of these guys do you need to look at either of these guys, as you know, season.
Speaker 1: Changers, no, but these in turn solutions.
Speaker 4: But when you talk about stabilizing the safety position, we're band guys who have skins on the wall.
Speaker 2: Okay. So I'll ask you this.
Speaker 1: If you were to go sign one of those guys, are you signing them just for temporary service? I'm signing them for the remainder of the year.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So when all your other guys get healthy, barring so that those guys all get healthy, then what do you do? Hot hand?
Speaker 4: Okay, hot hand seven hundred and seventy seven straight sevens hot hand. I mean, but think about it, think about it from this capacity, right we don't here Let's say, uh, let's say we talk about let's keep it to free. Okay. So Malik is down. Before Milik went down, wasn't playing great. A part of that is due to the fact that he started dealing with the toe issue. But you know, you don't know when he comes back, how soon it be before he gets back to peak Milik or if he gets back to peak Melik this season.
Speaker 6: So if to be fair, like I said, it wasn't playing great before the injury.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And so that part of that.
Speaker 6: Was the miscommunications on defense throughout the first half of.
Speaker 1: All of that's true, and all of that matters.
Speaker 4: Now when you talk about bringing in a guy, let's say Justin Simmons, because he's one of the ones that that I named and we're talking about the free safety position. If Justin Simpsons Simmons comes in and he's getting he's playing good football for you, and Malik Hooker is ready, probably for depth. Is for nothing else, depth and leadership. You activate Malik to the active roster. But you seriously look at the look at it from a competitive standpoint. You says Justin Simmons, now in the building, is he playing good football for us over these first one or two games that he's with us, just hypothetically speaking, And if he is, then you let him continue. There's no reason to not because there's not this you know, Okay, Deron Bland equation. All right, So Deron Bland goes down with injury and the next guy up, and the next guy up is he's playing well. Okay, he's playing well, but he's still not Deron Blank brock Kauffman.
Speaker 2: He was playing well.
Speaker 4: But we sat here and said, when the conversation turned to fans are asking, well, should we put Cooper b B back in? Well, now you see why you should put Cooper b B back in. So that's what I mean. It's at the safety position. There is not that discussion to be had as far as say, well, if you sign a guy like Justin Simmons and he's coming in he's playing well, you can honestly look at a guy like Mallie Cooker and say you are damn good depth until he starts playing poorly. If he does, and then you know, then we have that conversation.
Speaker 2: You don't have to rush those guys.
Speaker 4: That's what I mean competing every you don't have a marquee guy that you have to be like shit.
Speaker 3: Whoever wants to sign as a safety here in Dallas wouldn't only have an opportunity to stick.
Speaker 2: For this year.
Speaker 3: And I think that's kind of what Isaiah you're leading to. You have a chance to stick for a good amount of time. Remember, Malie Hooker was a late signee in the process himself. He was a training camp signee off of the free agent market that that didn't happen, thinking, oh, Malie Cooker is going to be here for the next five seasons.
Speaker 2: He's the guy. It was. It was, hey, here's a.
Speaker 3: One two year deal, and then he continued to stick around from one defensive coordinator to the next defensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: To the next.
Speaker 3: And now you've got a similar situation for whoever comes in off the street because Donovan Wilson hasn't played well, Malie Cooker hasn't played well.
Speaker 2: Wanya Thomas stepped up.
Speaker 3: But he's been hurt. Exactly what are you competing against right now?
Speaker 6: And I think you had the indicator in there you're saying that he's sort of stuck around. Yeah, it's like you don't need guys that stick around it like that, you need the guy that absolutely dominates that spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, we're gonna take our first break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we've got QB vision on the other side of the break. As we flip our page to the Arizona Cardinals defense and the Dallas Cowboys offense, how do they rebound against this Cardinals defense?
Speaker 2: And are there some weapons on their.
Speaker 3: Side of the ball When we come back with more talking Cowboys after this.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: I'm home.
Speaker 4: Hey, mom, before you ask, I've done my homework and the dishwashers unloading.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Hey can you hey?
Speaker 2: Hon, Yes, I've got the finale ready to play. Here's your wine? Wow? Isn't it nice? Not having to ask? We think so.
Speaker 7: That's why if there's a network interruption, at and T will proactively credit you for a full day of service guarantee credit for fib or downtime lasting twenty minutes and more, or for wireless downtime lasting sixty minutes and more caused by a single incident PAC ten more towers. Strictions in exclusions apply at dot com slash guarantee for details.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store.
Speaker 2: And pick up a bag of Black Rifle coffee.
Speaker 3: That's right, America's coffee is now of a in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you.
Speaker 2: Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 3: Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 5: Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise and John Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to help you get the job done right.
Speaker 2: We're with you.
Speaker 5: That's our promise to you because no matter of the project or the challenge you're facing.
Speaker 2: Where with you?
Speaker 1: Where are you noted?
Speaker 2: How's it going? You see that Cowboys game? Oh? I watched. I've been seeing some good thanks totally. They have some talent, You have some great talent and they got some fight hoping. This is the year. Me too. Oh, I'm Cody. By the I'm Travis. Nice to meet you. Travis. Go Cowboys Go.
Speaker 8: Cowboys make a new friend based solely on their shirt choice.
Speaker 2: What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 8: Bank of America the official bank of the Dallas Cowboys, Copyright twenty twenty five. Bank of America Corporation.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This portion of the show is brought to you by and vis Aline, the Official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys with Patrick no C Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Chris Beam in the back.
Speaker 2: I'm Kyle Yeoman's we've.
Speaker 3: Got Isaiah stand Back about to give us a little bit of we do vision in a moment, just going back to that original conversation before we get into it, though you had a question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I feel like there hasn't been a contingent of fans that are really supportive of Zion Childress. Like, if you're supporting Zion Childress, please let us know in the chat. I feel like we're not seeing that very often. But if you really want them to play, let us know. We can try and make some hatteren right.
Speaker 1: Why why be koy? Why be coy about it?
Speaker 3: This is in reference to what is already happening in the chat, just so you guys know, but you know what's happening now. It's a little bit of some.
Speaker 2: Why Eddie, Why Eddie put up?
Speaker 4: It's time for QB vision with Isaiah stands back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, guy, I go.
Speaker 2: It's week.
Speaker 1: Dallas Cowboys offense versus the Arizona Cardinals defense. They are coming off a buy, so they've had an opportunity to go review the film. What do they do well? What don't they do well? What contributors need to change? But more importantly, what does Dallas do well? They need to try to take the Arizona that'll be in for Don Calboy.
Speaker 2: I lost my hairs to hear me good, all right?
Speaker 1: Arizona is a too high safety team. They are also a three to four team, A three to four team that likes to have their big fellas upfront.
Speaker 2: I e. Kalais Campbell, you guys know that guy? Yeah? Good? Dalvin Thomlinson do you guys know that Yep?
Speaker 1: Pretty good? They got They got a couple of big guys up front, but they really lean on their linebackers and their safeties to be the playmakers. These guys. This is a team that runs ahead. I told you guys last week about the Denver Broncos defense, and some people said that we were glazing. I believe the term was glazing glazing because we were keeping it one hundred about the Broncos defense, right Hm, things that make you go okay, So this is not the Broncos defense. These guys do not pass rush very well now at all. As a matter of fact, they're bottom five in the league in terms of pass rust, but they're also top five in terms of split safeties. These guys play two high shale as much as possible. They want to have three down linemen four linebackers on the field at all times. If you decide that you want to pass the ball, these guys will put two down linemen, I repeat, two down linemen, five guys at the at the sorry, four guys at the second level. And they like to put how many guys in back? Five guys in the back? Okay, so that is how they get to their quote unquote dime package. They'll take a couple of linemen out and they'll put just two guys at the front line.
Speaker 2: What do they do well?
Speaker 1: They communicate very well in their secondary They really be nice.
Speaker 2: It is nice to watch.
Speaker 1: It's it's kind of pretty to watch actually watching guys run routes across the zones because that's what they run. I think they the second most zone team in the league, even more than doub Sorry I don't want to say that word on this shoddy sorry wow, but the second most zone ran by this team in the league.
Speaker 2: They pass off coverage very well.
Speaker 1: If you're running a route across the formation trying to get to the gaps in their in their zone coverage, they.
Speaker 2: Communicate very well.
Speaker 1: Hey, Josh over over, over, and Josh is like, got it right. So I don't have to follow you into the other zone. I don't have to feel like I'm the guy that's responsible because I have full confidence that Josh, you're gonna do your job.
Speaker 2: And if that guy keeps keeps going, what are you gonna say to Pat?
Speaker 1: Get that guy?
Speaker 2: Get that guy over there? Got him? And no, he says, got him? So they passed off very well, so you get your How does that help?
Speaker 1: So if I don't have a good pass rush, but I communicate very well on the back end, I play a ton of zone. It doesn't allow for you to push the ball down the field, and it gives my d line that is not a great pass rushing to opportunity to get in the backfield at some point in time. They don't have a lot of sacks, but they don't allow you to get beyond their coverage. These guys, their safeties play twenty twenty five yards deep. They kind of have a good safety You ever heard of them? Houdah and he went to the University up dub that's right, University of Washington.
Speaker 4: You're going to have to say it, Yeah, he's this is calling it what it is. He's one of the best safeties in the game. Facts, it has it has been for a very long time.
Speaker 2: But these guys, I was trying to do such a swist.
Speaker 1: He's most effective near the line of scrimmage because he's just a heat seeking missile.
Speaker 2: But they're not using him the way that they have in years past. Good. So it is very good for the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: But if you're running across the middle and you're running into his own you might want to have your head on a swivel, yeah, because he will knock your head off your shoulders. Legally, that is that Buddha isn't about peace, No, not at all at all.
Speaker 2: So overall that Baker's not about cupcakes. I'm sorry, what is it? What is my game?
Speaker 1: If I'm going Schottenheimer going against this defense, you guys are silly. I want to run the ball. Three down linemen, two down linemen should not be able to stop your running attack. There are natural running lanes that are already apparent for teams that run three four defense. Because you have a zero or one technique, you have two, three or five techniques. There's gaps, natural gaps between your guard and your tackle. Right between between your center and your tackle, there's a natural gap. There's nobody there. Okay, So your guards are typically unimpeded to work up to the linebackers, and they have some very active linebackers. These are not your average linebackers. These guys will come downhill, they'll hit you in the face, and they shed blocks very well, and they run and hit to the ball. I like their linebackers at the second level, but I think that we should be able to run the ball. So this is a Javante Williams game. Who else is this a game for? This is a game for Ferguson, Jake Ferguson. Reason why is because their guys get so much depth. They are so concerned with backing off and keeping everything in front of them that I already mentioned that their secondary plays. They're saying, if he's played twenty to twenty five yards deep, they're saying, no, ceedee Lamb, No, George Piggins, you're not running behind us.
Speaker 2: No, you can.
Speaker 3: You can utilize those guys underneath as well, especially C d CD. You've talked about yards after the catch and the short overs and absolutely absolutely the slam routes.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's where he's gonna be able to eat screen for sure.
Speaker 1: For sure, everything underneath ten yards they're running every one so on a while, diffree ransom everything underneath ten yards you should be able to eat them up.
Speaker 2: But they are allowing that. They're saying, take that, bringing it on, take that.
Speaker 1: And I can't say who said that, but they're saying, everything under ten to twelve yards you can have it. We will play downhill, but we're not gonna allow for you to get the big play over the top. So they're pretty much saying, if you either show us that you can have a sustained drive or you just kick field goals all day long. That's what they're pretty much telling you to do. That's where they rest assured. That's where they're confident. This is a good defense. This is not a scary defense, but this is a good defense in the form of the fact that these guys cover well. Their corners are sticky, these guys pass off coverage well in their zones, and they will run and hit to they'll running hit at the ball. I like their defense. I think there are strong defense. I think that's the only reason why they've been competitive in these games. Their offense has been trash. We'll talk about that tomorrow. But their defense has kept them competitive in every single ball game that they've been in this year.
Speaker 2: They have a sound defense for one.
Speaker 6: Yes, the one thing that I'm concerned about if you're talking about running the ball is, of course you have Javonte Williams. But obviously we've been seeing them try to spell in Jayden Blue. He had his first fumble last week. That was something that we had all considered about Jaydon Blue. That was his knock in the draft. If you have a guy like Buddha Baker going up and how good he is in run defense, to me, that spells trouble.
Speaker 1: And it's not even just Buddha. Let's go through their linebackers. Please, Mac Wilson number two, that dude would knock your head off. Browning number five, he's okay, I like him. Middle linebacker ten Akeem Davis Gaither.
Speaker 2: Number twenty five, I like. I like twenty five as well. Twenty five.
Speaker 1: Zavian Collins, he will knock your head off as well. He's in there often because they run so many linebackers, or run four linebackers at a time. Obviously they have some names. Okay, Kalais Campbell on the defensive front.
Speaker 2: He's old. He's been in the league for a while, but thirty nine years old.
Speaker 1: But he's still he's still product. Look, he's still productive. Josh Sweat. You guys have heard that name before. Yep, he's a big d d N.
Speaker 2: They call him an outside linebacker. Super Bowl MVP. Arguably he's Yeah, he was in that conversation. He's not what he was. He's not what he was.
Speaker 1: I think you used to have to respect him for being productive player. But he's not threatening. He's not what they brought him in to be.
Speaker 2: I'll say that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they have a couple of guys up front, doesn't have the guys around him to be that way. I'm not concerned about their front. I'm really not concerned about their front. I am, especially with back to Yeah, yeah, BB doesn't have a big challenge in the middle.
Speaker 6: Now, let me talk about their front for a second, because about it. One of the things that they really like to do is rotate their defensive line. Yes, and I was looking at it. As far as the rotation goes, Dante still's fifty four percent of the defensive snaps. Kalais Campbell forty seven, Dalvin Tomlinson forty eight, Darius Robinson fifty one percent. For me, looking at that, that spells shoddy. Deck and Clayton Adams need to rely on fast offense, being able to control the ball and not let them sub in and out like they like to do when they have a split like that. You need to test out their what is their conditioning? You need to rely on a fast paced, up tempo offense. For me, that would be a great idea going into it. I don't know if that's going to be sustainable because you do want to be able to control the clock as much as possible, But at least for me, that kind of eliminates that thing that they love to do in spelling those guys in and out.
Speaker 4: This is a game where this is a defense that you want to play in order to get a bounce back game from your offense. Because when you talk about what everything that Denver did, Will was everything that we particularly last week's QB vision, Isaiah Standback told you that Denver would probably do well. So he knows ball right, Yeah, allegedly you have to Yeah, you have to establish the run. Yeah, for sure, you have to do it.
Speaker 1: You just have to do it.
Speaker 4: I don't know why I'm having to say this for another week when Javonte Williams because this is this will not be one two Yeah, third week where I've actually had to say this, Give Javonte Williams the ball. Give Javonte Williams the ball. Give Javonte Williams the ball. You made an excellent point. The front the interior of the defensive line for the Cardinals that we know Kalais Campbell, we know Josh Sweat Edge guys, whatever. But as far as like interior, you see Kallais Pai play interior. Yeah, once in a while. Well, but it's not that dominant defensive interior that needs to be moved around or that it's going to be challenging to move around. Okay, So if Cooper bb is back as Stephen Jones and in front office believes that they will, the lanes.
Speaker 1: Will be there.
Speaker 2: Tomson is not the guy that he used to be.
Speaker 1: He's just he's not.
Speaker 4: The lanes are going to be there. Give Javanti the ball. Let him establish that this is the Cardinals defense that allows more than four yards per carry on the ground, more than four yards per carry. So Bot statistically by average. That means if you give Javonte the ball, giving the ball on first down, it's second and six.
Speaker 1: Yep, getting all on second, third and two. So that's just this is what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And then you can play off the play action there because they do an excellent job. Like I said said, their coverage does an excellent job of not letting you get behind them.
Speaker 1: They're one of the best in.
Speaker 4: The league at not giving up the deep ball they do. They are effective at keeping guys in front of them.
Speaker 2: So what do you do.
Speaker 4: You use Javonte Williams because I believe in Javonte, use him to set up the play action, and the rest has to playoff of that. Yeah, but keep keep your head on the swivel because y'all sweat still impactful, I think when he's at five sacks.
Speaker 2: Right now, but usually that's cover sacks though, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So to that point, to that point, they do a good job in coverage and communicating and keeping things in front of you, making Dak Prescott and other quarterbacks have to hold the ball alonger than they want to, giving Joshuit an opportunity to comps back there. How do you neutralize that run the ball that way, you make the coverage play more honest, and it goes from there.
Speaker 3: So with all of this being said, I'm looking at this matchup for the Dallas offense to be one where they have to sustain drives.
Speaker 2: Sure, I'm talking.
Speaker 3: Eleven twelve play drives where you're running the football effectively, you're moving the chains every so often, and you kind of dink and dunk your way down the field, which isn't necessarily what Dallas is used to. They like to strike for the big play, but they can drive down the field when they need to. The Arizona defense has been so good at executing that and forcing teams into that box. And you don't even have to go further than their final scores to see how good they are at doing that. They're in the mid twenties almost every game. Twenty seven to twenty three against Green Bay, twenty two to twenty one against Tennessee, twenty three to twenty against Seattle, even lower than that against San Francisco sixteen to fifteen final score. Oh, it was twenty seven to twenty two against Carolina and then twenty to thirteen.
Speaker 2: Only one team in any of.
Speaker 3: Their games out of the what is if they've played seven games. Out of the fourteen possible performances for an offense, only one team has scored more than thirty points, including Arizona. One team has scored only thirty points, and that was the Indianapolis Colts, and they went thirty one their top. They don't give up points because they don't give up big.
Speaker 6: All five losses have been come by a combined thirteen points.
Speaker 2: That's a historic stat.
Speaker 6: By the way, Shosta, Nick Eatman used to please, never mind.
Speaker 3: Oh that was gonna be my Yeah, that was gonna be my key wise daut of the week. But keep going, keep going. Sorry, sorry, Now we've got to reset. We're gonna be We're gonna make our sea.
Speaker 2: Josh, you're crazy.
Speaker 3: When we when we come back here on Talking Cowboys, let's continue the conversation and talk about how the Dallas offense.
Speaker 2: I just got sniped by here quick sine it was Nick. To be fair, it was Nick.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we're gonna talk about how the Dallas offense can rebound and what went wrong against Denver and how it's gonna turn around here in week nine against Arizona.
Speaker 2: More to come with more talking Cowboys right after this. How's it going? You see that Cowboys game? Oh? I watched. I've been seeing some good things totally. They have some talent. You have some great talent, and they got some fight hoping. This is the year me too. Oh, I'm Cody. By the way, I'm Travis. Nice to meet you. Travis. Go, Cowboys Go. Cowboys make a.
Speaker 8: New friend based solely on their shirt choice. What would you like the power to do? Bank of America, the official bank of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Copyright twenty twenty five.
Speaker 8: Bank of America Corporation.
Speaker 9: If you shout how about them Cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors to get You're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the.
Speaker 2: Game day lineup that can't be beat better.
Speaker 9: Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 2: The wins will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 3: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order.
Speaker 2: Plus.
Speaker 3: Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 4: I'm home, Hey, mom, before you ask, I've done my homework and the dishwashers unloading.
Speaker 2: Nice? Hey can you ahn? Yes, I've got the finale ready to play. Here's your wine. Wow. Isn't it nice? Not having to ask? We think so.
Speaker 7: That's why if there's a network interruption, at and T will proactively credit you for a full day of service guarantee credit for fib or downtime lasting twenty minutes or more, or for wireless downtime lasting sixt minutes and more caused by a single incident impact in ten more towers.
Speaker 2: Restrictions and exclusions apply. It att dot com slash guarantee for details to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Back here on Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. This week is even more so an opportunity to go get ten percent off when you wear Cowboys gear.
Speaker 2: On game day because it's a Monday. What are you doing on Monday? You're going to work.
Speaker 3: On your way to work, stop by Black Rifle Coffee. Were some Cowboys gear? Get timber off your entire order, grabbing the most patriotic coffee you can find. Yeah, on a Monday morning. Yeah, you've got this month day.
Speaker 2: Then you've got two Mondays from this Monday. Then you've got a couple of Thursdays. Come on, you have a Black Rifle spot by your house. It's not like by my house. It's kind of out every day, but it's yes, somewhat. What would you wear to go get your ten percent off? I'd wear this right here. I wouldn't even have to change. It's not that munt rifles out of way, it's that your house is out of it. Yeah, I shouldn't live that far from a Black rifle, But I one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: I think I think the talking Cowboys merch deserves ten percent as well.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I stars right there.
Speaker 2: I honestly things should get more if you worked. Yeah, that's what I said. I was like, it should be like twenty five percent. But that's not the case.
Speaker 6: Black Rifle should do with talking cowboys.
Speaker 2: We have our own QR code. Yeah, what the heck? Or like merch that's Black rifle and talking. That would be sweet, right. Black Rifle will have our people talk to your people. My dad asked about Black Rifle coffee. Did they yeah? Or did he Yeah? He did, yeah, So I have to take him to one of their locations. Absolutely, really good man.
Speaker 3: I don't we don't get any extra bread to talk about it, but it's it's good stuff.
Speaker 2: We get extra beans kind of all right.
Speaker 3: To playoff of Josh's stat of the week from that je sorry, each of the cardinals five losses has been by one score with the opponent taking the lead with under five minutes remaining in the game.
Speaker 2: They are at two and five.
Speaker 3: But don't be fooled by the two and five record. Let's just go in order here Week three against the forty nine ers, they lost by one with a walk off field goal.
Speaker 2: Seahawks lost by three with a walk off field goal. Tea.
Speaker 3: Week five, Titans lost by one with a walk off field goal. Colts lost by four go ahead touchdown with four thirty two left in the game, eating scoring attackers twenty seven to twenty three go ahead touchdown with one fifty left in the game. The five losses by a combined thirteen points is tied with the twenty seventeen San Francisco forty nine Ers for the closest point margin and a five game losing streak by any team in NFL history.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that. There you go, Thank you, Kyle, Thanks Nick.
Speaker 5: Gave.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's the uh, that's the extra, the sprinkle on top of don't take these guys lightly.
Speaker 2: No, they're good defense, man. They can play, and they've been close, and it's some of the reasons.
Speaker 1: That's being honest with you. Ill said already this defense is the only reason why those games have been close. Yeah, I repeat, Their defense is the only reason why these games have been close. Their offense, which we will get to tomorrow, is not the reason for the season. Their defense is good. Okay, this is a good defense.
Speaker 2: It's not scary.
Speaker 1: It's not even frightening at all. Halloween this weekend, it's not spooky. But you have to respect them because they don't make a lot of mistakes, and defenses that are steady and consistent those are the ones that you kind of have to worry about. Right, this is not an interception team. This is a forced fumble type team. Right. If you don't protect the ball, they'll hit you your chest cavity and the ball will be out and all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: Any running back, they'll give the ball to Jacob mh They give the ball to Jacobe Pressett, not Kyler Murray.
Speaker 6: But do you think that the air the Cardinals offenses to look terrible again against the Dallas Cowboys do either coming.
Speaker 1: Off a bye, No, just guard tradement, brighton, they have another guy out there.
Speaker 2: We're talking about this. I think this, I mean, this is a perfect opportunity.
Speaker 1: I said it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I said again.
Speaker 4: It's a perfect opportunity for the Cowboys offense to mounce back. And the fact that you're playing at home where you typically have been doing well at home offensively forty forty forty four.
Speaker 2: Just get back to that. I don't think we're gonna get forty Burger, No, I'm not saying.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying I think you're going to get forty and we'll get to predictions on Friday, don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to predict for getting there. But I do think that you can. I think you can surpass thirty. I think you can get past thirty with with what you.
Speaker 3: Saw against Denver this past week. You see that this offense is human. From the Dallas side of things, what they've done well is strike for the big play, quick strikeability George pick and ce d Lamb over the middle of the field. Jake Ferguson is kind of your safety blanket. Like Isaiah said, this is a big game for Javante and for Jake. How much do you see George Pickens getting involved in different ways than he has in previous weeks, in different ways, different ways because the deep ball may not be there.
Speaker 2: It may not and that's kind of been his calling cards since he arrived.
Speaker 4: But here's how you here's how you facilitate the deep ball executive games now without him scoring.
Speaker 2: One since since CD got back, Right, Yeah, you're right, it is two games.
Speaker 4: Oh the deep pass that that yeah he's going on. Yeah, so okay, so I don't see that continuing. But so then yes, I do think Pickens gets into them.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying like this, since CD has gotten back, George Pickens has not made the Titan Zoe correct fair.
Speaker 2: He's had seventy plus yards receiving.
Speaker 4: Any of those disagree with that, staving facts, still saying to run the ball. You know, one way to facilitate the deep ball. As you run the ball, so exaid the play action, which then forces Bude Baker and those those defensive backs to cheat Ford.
Speaker 1: As soon as you cheat Ford, it's old crap.
Speaker 2: You're receives, should you.
Speaker 1: I mean you're gonna have to throw the ball underneath, right, I'm not saying that you don't take shots down, but you have to set that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you set it.
Speaker 1: I have to set that up. They're gonna give you underneath. Your receivers are gonna take hits. So yeah, get stretched, get massages.
Speaker 2: Whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Like this is their linebackers are gonna hit the crap out of you. You probably catch the ball, but they're gonna hit the crap out of you. So let me say you better buckle up for that one.
Speaker 4: So I saw your face when I said I think the Cowboys can can get thirty plus.
Speaker 1: I don't know. They didn't get forty.
Speaker 4: But here's where if I had to break it down, I think, if you do what you're supposed to do, Javon to Williams gets two touchdowns, that's fourteen points right there.
Speaker 1: You know why why I'm hard fetched to agree with you on the thirty points this week because their their style of play. Defensively agree they don't. They don't allow explosives. They don't they don't allow explosives. And on top of that, the they win time of possession a majority of their games. That's part of how they're built. You know, you know how to flip that. But in order to score thirty say it with me. Run the ball, Absolutely, run the ball. But I'm which I obviously you guys know, I'm a whole hearted believer. Yeah, but there's only so many possessions for a team that consistently does a good job of getting you off the field right or allowing for you to letting you get down here to the rezone, and you got to kick field goals.
Speaker 2: There's only so many possessions that you're gonna possess, and.
Speaker 6: If your defense doesn't have any interest in getting off the field, then we'll get to that that will be an.
Speaker 2: Issue that well, that's kind of where I'm at.
Speaker 3: If we're going to see thirty points in this game, then it's probably going to be because your defense also allows thirty points. For being completely honest, it's going to be your defense getting pushed around, not because of what Arizona has, but because of the discrepancies that you have on your own unit. I don't think Arizona's scary offensive.
Speaker 1: I think this is a field goal game for both teams. Okay, and obviously we'll talk about their offense, but I'm.
Speaker 2: Just trying to get fantasy points for Brandon or Brandon Obty is gonna have a day.
Speaker 1: It's hard for me to and I would love to have full confidence at our offense just march down the field and scores touchdowns. I'm saying, based upon what we have seen from our offense and the style of play that our offense has, I don't have the confidence right now that this is a ten to fourteen play team.
Speaker 2: I just I don't current in terms of dry, in terms of dry and I completely yeah, they've not shown that. I'm not shown that. And then when you get to the red zone.
Speaker 1: The closer you get to Arizona's end zone, the better their defense gets because you have less space.
Speaker 2: Now Buddha gets involved.
Speaker 1: Now they're linebackers, all four of them, sometimes five of them, right, are able to span the width of the field. Right, So if you're not running the ball effectually, there's nowhere to go with the ball. There's just a lot of small windows. So Ben, but don't break, Ben, but no break, Ben, but no break? Okay, our backs against the wall?
Speaker 2: Now now what no? Right?
Speaker 1: Now we go hunt right, So, and that's where field goals come in, because if you can't find those small little windows opportunity, or even if you do find them, if you don't convert on them, then you're gonna find your so king of field goals and they're like clack, clap, bravos.
Speaker 4: So this is what you're hoping that you learned. You're hoping Brian Schottenhummer learned from the Denver game.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: When you get down there to the end zone or near the end zone, goal to goal, red zone, whatever. Don't get cute because this is not the defense to get cute against. This is not the defense to you know, it's it's first and goal, second and goal, and you want to you know, no when you're down there, making no hand the ball off because again they're averaging. I looked at up is specifically four point two yards per carry on the ground.
Speaker 1: They're allowing that.
Speaker 4: So that being said, if it's goal to go from the four, mathematically speaking, you should score.
Speaker 1: If you hand the ball off to seventy plays for the Cowboys offensively, how many times do you want them running the ball? Seventy play thirty five?
Speaker 2: You want fifty to fifty. I'll tell you balance.
Speaker 1: I'll take thirty, yeah, probably thirty, Ill take third.
Speaker 2: I was thinking thirty and thirty fivety runs.
Speaker 1: Forty passes.
Speaker 4: Based on what you're saying, based on seventy, sure, based on seventy, Yeah, thirty and forty.
Speaker 3: I'd get I'd go forty and thirty. Then if it's seventy forty thirty.
Speaker 1: What keep in mind? So i would go thirty forty.
Speaker 4: But in those forty passes, I'm looking at quasi runs as well, So some include some screens, some quick insids. Maybe get get Kavante Turpin involved underneath this quick checkdown. Jake Ferguson, he is quick checkdowns to Jake Ferguson. So when people hear me say forty passes, I don't want them to think, oh, well, you want Dake Priscott to air it out. That's not what I'm saying. This is not the defense to air it out. I'm saying you're going to have checkdowns, You're going to have a screens include that, don't don't run screens. So checkdowns, it's quick inside slants, quick hits.
Speaker 2: Why why no screens because the.
Speaker 1: Guys that are going to have to block for you in the screen game can't block their linebackers.
Speaker 2: And they can't get out there.
Speaker 1: I agree with that.
Speaker 2: So they have a physic physical second level with that.
Speaker 1: So quick.
Speaker 4: There's window when underneath, but you gotta get to all point itches your inside slance ye stuff.
Speaker 6: Like that big game for Brevian span Ford coming up.
Speaker 2: Maybe hey they tried. They got to move on with Stanford. If you oh my god, Spanford, he's been blocking. It's nice. Tony likes his blocking on Tony's teach tape or whatever.
Speaker 5: Gym.
Speaker 4: Yeah, spider Man, spider Man, spider Man, Sperman, gold Man.
Speaker 3: All right, that's gonna do it for us here on Talking Cowboys. Thanks Isaiah, good to see you, guys. Man learned a lot about this Arizona defense for Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah Stanley.
Speaker 2: Fris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yoma saying so long from Talking Cowboys. We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.