Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Wednesday, Our one flew By had breaking news to start the show. According to ESPN, Reggie Bush is getting his Heisman trophy back. First question I had was is he dropping his defamation lawsuit against the NCUBA, and more importantly, does USC get.
Speaker 3: Its national title back?
Speaker 2: But we got calls in to the nc DOUBLEA, Pete Carroll, Reggie Bush, Fritzie is working feverishly to advance the store. If we locate somebody willing to come on and talk about it, I would love to have the NCUBA come on, or at least a statement from them. Did they do this in conjunction with the Heisman Trust? I would be surprised if the Heisman Trust acted upon itself and acted on its own and said, you know what, on further review, we're giving Reggie his Heisman back. So also, Reggie joined us in January of this year, January sixteenth, and I did ask him, would you drop your defamation lawsuit? If you get your collegiate records restored, you get your heisman. As a settlement we'll have We'll bring back a portion of that interview coming out.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, that's our streaming partner, our radio affiliates around the country. We're over four hundred cities carrying this program. I'm excited about Dan's Deals. This is the third year in a row that we've done this for Mother's Day, and we take care of everything.
Speaker 3: We take the guest work.
Speaker 4: Out of it.
Speaker 2: I've been around for a long time with Mother's Days and you kind of run out of options. You don't want to do the same flowers and candy, right, You want to spice it up a little bit. And we got Dan's Deals here to help you out. You're going to get great products, hand picked, fifty to sixty percent off retail prices. The Mother's Day shopping spree. You can get that done and get it done out of the way, and she doesn't know that, you know, we help.
Speaker 5: I'm a classic, you know what, I'm going to do that today, and then the day before I'm like, oh crap, yeah, I forgot to do that. Just do that today, and then the peace of mind alone is worth it.
Speaker 2: Go to Danpatrick dot com the newsletter. If you haven't signed up for the newsletter, you'll have first DIBs on all of these great products that we have at Danpatrick dot com six Eastern. It comes out, you can go and do your all your shopping for Mother's Day and we passed the savings onto you at least fifty percent off all of these products. And we have I think six or seven different possibilities, different gifts for you for Mother's Day. But make sure you go to Danpatrick dot com later today. Today's Mercedes Benz Interview the day brought to you by the brilliant EQE SUV from Mercedes Benz. The feeling all Mercedes, the vehicle all Electric. Learn more at mbusa dot com slash EQE Yeah Suv. So we'll talk to Drake may here momentarily, we will talk to Matt Miller ESPN Draft Animal. Is there a chance New England is the team that's going to change the first round of the draft, and that is that that pick, that third overall is up for grabs because do you want to bring in Drake Mang who may not be ready to play right away? Do you want to build your team and then worry about your quarterback next year or the year after that. Every year we talk a lot of times, we talk about the quarterbacks who aren't available last year at this time, what were we talking about. Man if Caleb Williams was in this year's draft, Okay, now he's in this year's draft. And then we'll have some quarterbacks who are going to be available, and then you're going to have teams go, do we tank for this guy? You know, is this guy worth trading up for? Minnesota needs a quarterback, Denver needs a quarterback? The Raiders, Seattle might be, the Rams might be. You have more teams who need quarterbacks or at least are interested in quarterbacks, then you do have actual quarterbacks. I spoke to a source last night who had high praise for spend Sir Rattler. Remember when he was a thing, when he came out of high school, he was a thing, and then all of a sudden he wasn't and then kind of had a reclamation season with South Carolina.
Speaker 3: But yeah, some positive.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's because it's you know, supply and demand. Hey, well he's considering the quarterbacks are available. Yeah, he's in the mix there. I don't know if he's a franchise quarterback. But there was high praise for Spencer Rattler, Bo Nix, Michael Pennix Junior, the third somebody's going up, somebody gets squarely. It happens every year where you go.
Speaker 3: Man, I did not see that coming, but that's gonna happen. Yes, Pauline, you can.
Speaker 7: Never be hotter as a quarterback than when you're not available. Remember years ago, I could find stories Christian Hackenberg at Penn State when he's a freshman. If the draft for today, Josh Rose in a freshman at UCLA, if the draft for today, Yeah, if he went a year earlier, yeah, oh, but he stayed around Sam Donald, Sam Donald and Donald Kapla Williams. A year ago, there was not even a discussion whether he was the number one.
Speaker 4: Pick of the draft.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: It was the biggest lock of the past five years.
Speaker 2: And you still get these stories that come out. And a story came out where might have been a GM who said, hey, he reminds me of Prince, and I go the musician, Yeah, you know, like do you want that kind of player, that personality? I go, well, I don't know. Prince is one of the most talented musicians of old time. Like was he different? Yes, but is that a reason why if we're having a draft, would I draft Prince?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I would. I draft him pretty high, But I don't know where, Like we're really trying to reach with some of these quarterbacks and go. You know that guy, I mean he might be wearing dresses or you got his fingernail polished. Can you play when you get on the field, yes.
Speaker 7: Pa, No one Evers said Prince was too short to be a star rocker. No, A lot of people. Some people question it, but not the people who knew music.
Speaker 2: Well, you know at the music combine. I mean he tested pretty high. Yeah, that dude who crazy talent him?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Drake may set to join us. He's partnered with Low's, teaming up with them in the NFL. A local community project in Detroit surprised a local contractor with an invitation to go to the draft.
Speaker 3: By the way, Lowe's built the green.
Speaker 2: Room there and you're going to get to go and announce an NFL pick. So they surprised a local contractor there and Drake may set to join us on the program. Before we get started, give me your official height and weight bisial.
Speaker 4: Height and weight six four and a half two twenty five right now, probably close two thirty when I get closer to season, but twenty five right now?
Speaker 3: Best athlete in the family.
Speaker 6: Is I'm a mom?
Speaker 3: Your mom?
Speaker 4: Yeah, sir, Yeah, she was a great athlete in high school. She doesn't show as much now, but she grabs some clubs and uh, you know, played nine holes, she'll play eighteen. But she she grabs some clubs, she'll she'll still beat us us us us brothers. So it's it's pretty sad, but.
Speaker 2: About it with you and your brothers. Best athlete amongst the three?
Speaker 4: Yeah, myself. I think it's a pretty easy answer athletes, But I'll take myself all right.
Speaker 2: Uh, what's the best thing that's happened through this whole process so far?
Speaker 4: The best thing that's happened, you know, I think the chances to reflect on my college years and how far, how many different people, you know, kind of poured into my life and being a chance to reflect and see how many special people in my life and maybe this moment special and to be here on Thursday with all my my family and all my brothers coming into one place and all my friends and family to enjoy one moment kind of reflect on that and kind of you always dream of this and kind of coming to it and realizing that it's about to happen. It's pretty pretty cool.
Speaker 3: What team did you grow up liking?
Speaker 4: Oh, Panthers fan. He was Panthers fan. You know, we got season tickets and you know, when Cam Newton came and it was you know, it was the best thing ever. So we are big Panthers fans.
Speaker 3: Have you met Cam?
Speaker 6: I have?
Speaker 3: I have?
Speaker 4: He played I played him in seven on seven He coached seven on seven team and we played him, you know, growing up, and he had He has a good squad.
Speaker 3: He's a big guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's huge. Yeah. I'm about six six four and a six five and he's been like two inches tar than me, probably like thirty pounds on me. So he's a big dude.
Speaker 2: As far as other teams that you visit, give me something interesting that you've been.
Speaker 4: Asked instant I've been asked.
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 4: It's a good question. Probably the most interesting they've been asked is kind of why me. I think that's that's always the most interesting. You know, you always start with that and say, watch we draft you, And I think it's one of those questions that hey kind of puts you on the spot, but to kind of ready for it. So I'm just ready to be kind of be the guy and ready to kind of translate my game in the NFL. I'll fit in the NFL game a little more. And I'm excited for that.
Speaker 2: Okay, But when they say why you do, they want to know if you want to start? Like is that part of this too, that hey, I want to commit and start or yeah, you know that we we'd prefer somebody to come in and want to learn exactly.
Speaker 4: That's why it's tricky. You kind of have to play it both ways because obviously, you know, the competitor and me, you want to go in there and start right away and you know, be a be a be the gay, the you know, the game one guy and the day one starter. But the same time, that's not reality and get you ready forever. So I'm just kind of ready to compete that, you know, like I'm going to be the starter and you know, up to their decision, but I'm going to try to prove that I'm ready to be the starter. Other than that, you're ready, you know, to learn and and uh, you know, wait until you know I'm iron that job.
Speaker 3: What's it like to read the negative reviews.
Speaker 4: Yeah, try not to. I think that's the you know, the biggest fault of athletes in our space, especially how base social media is nowaday. You know, so many, so many fans out there that that don't like you, and there's even more that that're a fan of you. So try to enjoy the positives. And you know, unless it's my coach or well, my family members or somebody in an inner circle, you know, saying something negative about me or someone I need to change, and that's you know, it's a different, you know, different subject than you know, Joe smo works at Applebee's or something.
Speaker 2: But do do your brothers look for the negative stuff just to give you grief? To say, like, if you were my brother, I'd be trying to find some things to needle you a little bit.
Speaker 3: Would your brother stoop to that level?
Speaker 4: No, we got real personally they would. But I think my brothers have been three of my biggest supporters, So I think, uh kind of much to get to this stage in the NFL. There's so many people out there that that aren't fans of you and saying, you know, negative stuff. So I think if your brothers, you know, I think it's a certain point.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 4: Maybe in high school sports you get on for something, but kind of on this stage, I think it's a little bit past.
Speaker 3: That favorite quarterback when you were growing up.
Speaker 4: Favorite quarterback Cam Newton was my first one, being a big Panthers fan or Anon Rodgers. I was a big Annon Rodgers fan.
Speaker 3: Have you met Rogers?
Speaker 4: I'm not, Nope, but I have not.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go around the room. Has Drake met Michael Jordan? Todd, I'll start with you.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say no, Seaton. I got to know on that one, Marvin. Yes, Paulie Drake played basketball.
Speaker 7: He's been in his presence before Michael Jordan's presence.
Speaker 2: And his brother played on a national title. Yes, yes, in North Carolina. I'm gonna say, yes, you've met Michael Jordan.
Speaker 4: I have met him.
Speaker 3: J all right, pretty mj oh, it's MJ. Okay.
Speaker 4: If you call him your goat, he's got to be MJ.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 4: You don't call Michael Jordan, you call him the goat, MJ.
Speaker 3: So what'd you talk about.
Speaker 4: I'm met him at the halftime with one of the basketball games. I'm not getting recruited. Coach Brown, you know, brought me down there and very sweet.
Speaker 2: That's nice. That's a part of your NIL package. You get to meet Michael Jordan.
Speaker 4: I was in high school. In high school before I even uh committed, so I was committed Alabama at the time, so getting to meet him, you know, getting to meet him was pretty sweet.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's that conversation like when you call Saban and you say, coach, I'm not coming to Alabama.
Speaker 4: Yeah? Tough. Yeah. I tried it for a while. You know, being with coach Saban, he's one of my favorite and recruiting process, so having to tell him that I'm gonna stay home was tough. But I think coach Savan understood and shoot, you know, maybe they would have worked out a little differently by the same time. You know, coach Saban he's you know, I think he's the goat of college football.
Speaker 3: So he did. Okay he did. Okay, you're not all right? Uh Draft night suit? You already got it picked up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm simple, no swag, so I'm gonna keep it simple.
Speaker 2: Okay, is there a light blue Carol? Is there a Carolina blue in the suit?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, you want to, you know, find out.
Speaker 2: Okay, because you might do like a New York Giants blue or.
Speaker 4: That's that's a little too world closer to Duke. I can't wear blue at all.
Speaker 3: Or you could have like Patriot blue in there, yes, that Navy.
Speaker 4: So if i'd wear any blue would be Carolina.
Speaker 3: Do you know where you're going?
Speaker 4: I wish I did, and I wish it was that easy. Nothing. I'll know when I hear that phone ring.
Speaker 2: But do you I mean, do you have an idea? You know, have to tell me, but do you have an idea?
Speaker 3: I don't think I have an idea. Okay, all right? And do you like the cold?
Speaker 4: I don't mind it at all. Okay, you gotta play football. Football is cold, wetter sport nowadays.
Speaker 2: I just want to make sure. Do you plan on hugging the commissioner or you're going to give like just a firm hamshick.
Speaker 6: Mmm.
Speaker 4: I ain't thought about that one hugging him. Oh, I'm you know.
Speaker 3: It strikes me as a hugger. You did. Yeah?
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe uh maybe like a like a dap and a one arm around okay, you know a hug, a two arm hug. It doesn't seem like.
Speaker 2: But don't treat him like your mom when you come home. You know that when when I see the draft, guys do that and they pick him up and we don't need that.
Speaker 4: That'd be that'd be funny. We got I think pretty cool though. Some of the big d linemen are off the line, and I think that fits so all right.
Speaker 2: You want to be the next Peyton Manning when it comes to selling products. So here's your turn. You're you're joining us on behalf of Low's. Let me hear Drake may pitch Lows.
Speaker 4: Yeah, first off Lows. You know it's a snow kind of company. It was an easy fit for me. I was excited when this opportunity came kind of right Off the Bat was joining joined their home team as the newest member, and ra Off the Bat them helping in the community and got a community service event tomorrow. I'll be helping out at I'll just give him back the community. It means so much to me and kind of an easy fit. You know. I grew up you know Loaws right across the street in the neighborhood shopping center. And shoot, when we had our our we need our driveway extended, we went to Lows to get a half court hoop and uh you know, get ready to go. And we had our our backyard. We had a long part forty our backyard that we painted with Low's pain and we did it all. So H think, you know, one of the coolest things. I was here two weeks ago and we came in the Lows and I did a you know, kind of a pre draft, little draft shoot and it was awesome. We got we even surprised one of the local pros at Low's, you know, with the chance to go up on stage and announce a pick and just stuff like that just means so much to me. And uh, Low's is a great company and a partner of the NFL, and little things like that go a long way. And my family is you know, full surprises. We love surprising.
Speaker 3: So that fit right in uh is the green room built by Lows.
Speaker 4: It is you had loads did it all, you know, the draft stays did it all. So I got to walk by it and preview all, you know, two weeks ago and I get a little preview, And now walking across the Thursday will be we'll be special, even more special now that you know I got to see it before and partner to the lows and know that they all did the work.
Speaker 2: So well, good luck, good luck with the giants and uh, you know, we appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Wait, you started thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: You didn't you didn't react when I said good luck with the giants there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, shoot, you know, if you could throw an any team in there now, I'm.
Speaker 3: Ready to play forever Carolina. You're not going to be playing.
Speaker 4: For Yeah, exactly, Yeah, I wish. So now it's got to handle.
Speaker 2: Hey, good luck, congratulations, have fun Thursday night.
Speaker 4: Thanks, Dan, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Uh, Drake may Hey, he wishes.
Speaker 2: And a lot of times you'll get I'm hearing Okay, I don't know you're who you're hearing from. That's always dangerous because you can you can circle a comment or a quote or opinion by saying, you know, I'm hearing from who. I've had neighbors who want to talk sports and they'll go, hey, you know what I'm hearing. I'll go, who are you hearing it from? First of all, Hey, the mailman Jimmy Lipper down the block and you're talking to him. You know I'm hearing Yeah, see.
Speaker 3: Is it that Cardinals pick of four? That's the real wild Card.
Speaker 2: I think the Patriots at three now they may say, look, we're set on our quarterback. We got our quarterback, and we're not going to be up here in a position again.
Speaker 5: They are classic trader outers though nothing yes, well Belichick was, Belichick was, yeh yeah, you know the Cardinals pick and then you got the Chargers, and it feels like those teams are you know, in business to move down?
Speaker 3: Question is what's it cost to move up. We'll take a break.
Speaker 2: We'll talk NFL Draft with Matt Miller get his final mock draft here. Also, we'll keep an eye on the Reggie Bush story. We did hear from a former Heisman Trophy winner who was at the reception, the ceremony this morning, so it's already happened that Reggie got his Heisman back. And we heard from a Heisman Trophy winner who said, yeah, I was there, send us a picture and I go, I'll be damn, they've already done this breaking news. Yes, I love that. Yeah, I think there were like ten to fifteen Heisman Trophy winners who showed up for this. So we'll see if we can get more information for you. Take a break back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 4: Hey, what's up everybody?
Speaker 10: It's me three time pro bowler LeVar Arrington and I couldn't be more excited to announce a podcast called Up on Game?
Speaker 3: What is Up on Game?
Speaker 10: You asked, along with my fellow pro bowler TJ. Hutschman, Zada and Super Bowl champion. Yup, that's right, Plexico Burris. You can only name a show with that type of talent on it. Up on Game We're going to be sharing our real life experiences loaded with teachable moments. Listen to Up on Game with Me LeVar Arrington, TJ. Huschman Zada, and Plexico Burrs on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcast from.
Speaker 2: Still a wild story this morning. Reggie Bush has already gotten his heisman back. Had a ceremony this morning. Saw a picture with him in the former Nebraska quarterback Eric Crouch, arm in arm and they're like, yeah, Reggie's back in the I don't know how early this was that they was everybody up early in Los Angeles to be able to do this. Were they in Florida. Looks like it's warm weather, but it's early, and Reggie got his heisman back. I just want to know NCAA involved in this. To what degree does it stop a defamation lawsuit? I will bring you back the question and Reggie's answer when he joined us in January when I asked him about that, would you drop the defamation lawsuit if you get all your records in the heisman back? So we'll have that for you coming up. Matt Miller is a busy guy. He's a draft analyst for the Mothership. He'll be part of the broadcast there on ESPN and ABC kind enough to join us. How close are the top quarterback let's say the top four quarterbacks?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Pretty close. I think for me, Cal Williams is far and away the best, and I think he's in a tier by himself. Jayden Daniels says separated himself over the last year, certainly, but definitely over the past few months, I think as well. And then you have Drape May, who some people like a lot. JJ McCarthy again, who some people really really like. But I do think that they are much closer now than they were four months ago. You know, like the last time we saw these guys play football, they were not very closely raped. What happens over the course of the process is guys interview.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 8: JJ McCarthy's pro day was one of the best pro days that a quarterback has had in a couple processes, and in the interview process also teams fall in love with these guys and that over inflates their stock a little bit. I think that's what we're seeing. If for these quarterbacks go in the top six tomorrow night, and I think they will, then we're looking at another draft in which teams have fallen in love. Because we're in this model of you go up and get your guy or you wait for the next year. The second round quarterback kind of dead, like the developmental quarterback is dead. You either get a top ten pick or you sometimes you get lucky with the bron party.
Speaker 3: Where's the draft start?
Speaker 8: I think it starts at three. Caleb Williams is gonna go first. That is the worst kept secret in the world right now. I feel very strongly Jayden Daniels goes number two, but I think there is room. I don't know if they're top golfing in Detroit today that maybe we can figure out exactly who's gonna go number two. But I feel good about Jayden Daniels going to I think they've smoothed over their differences. Three is where it starts because New England could certainly stick and pick. They could take Drake may They could run it back with another Michigan quarterback. Jim Harbaugh says, Jim McCarthy's the greatest Michigan quarterback of all time. If you believe that, then you have to take him over Tom Brady. But I think three is where it starts because they could take one of those guys. They could do the kind of crazy thing and take Marvin Harrison Junior, who is for a lot of people the best player in this draft. Or they could trade back, and I think all those scenarios are certainly on the table. The hard thing with New England is we don't know who's really running the show there. Is it Jonathan Kraft is it? John Mayo?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 8: Elliott Wolf? Is kind of a consortium of people who are calling the shots there, so it makes it difficult to try to even know who to call, and also to predict based on you know, maybe what they've done historically.
Speaker 2: I don't know if somebody's asked Jim Harball of this, but I would say, Jim, you love JJ McCarthy, you really love him, Well, why don't you trade Justin Herbert? And then you'll get JJ McCarthy on his rookie deal? And wouldn't that be better suited for building this team? How do you think he would answer that question?
Speaker 8: I don't think he would. I think we would get I'm sure you remember San Francisco forty nine ers era Jim Harball was a lot different than Michigan era Jim Harball. You would get the most sarcastic answer after he stared and blinked at you for several seconds, making you feel like you're the dumbest person on earth. He's really calmed down in his old age. So I don't think you would answer. But that is a fair question. Hey, if McCarthy's this good, why not trade Herbert? And I'm sure his answer would be, you know, some type of pr spin of he's the best in this draft, but Justin would be, you know, the number one guy if he were in it. But I know they're you know, early on those those conspiracy theories definitely existed.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Matt Miller, ESPN Draft expert. Give me the team that could really like turn this sideways, and maybe that's New England, but I don't. Is there another team where you go, wow, that could really shake up the first round?
Speaker 8: New England definitely is the one.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 8: The other right now is if the Minnesota Vikings don't trade up to get the quarterback. You know, six weeks ago they acquired the Houston Texas first round pick that's number twenty three overall, so they're sitting here right now picks eleven and twenty three. No team has ever acquired a first round pick six weeks before the draft. It just doesn't happen unless it's in the top three and you know you're getting a quarterback. So they really signaled at that point we're open for business. We have two first round picks. We want to go get a quarterback. If they don't do that, it would be I think, very surprising, very risky. If you you know, you're Minnesota and you have the same grade on JJ McCarthy and Bo Nicks, maybe you sit there at eleven, say hey, JJ doesn't make it to us. Cool. You know, we'll take a corner or a defensive tackle and then at twenty three we'll draft Bownicks. It's risky, but you could. You could certainly do that, and I think we've we saw this last year with Houston and Arizona being super aggressive, but also they played the board really well to get into the ideal positions to take their guys. And I'm very curious to see if we see copycats tomorrow night of teams that think, hey, we'll trade back a couple spots and then if we need to, we'll just move back up. It's risky, but it makes it a lot of fun if it works.
Speaker 2: And it feels like once again we have a plethora of wide receivers, like top end wide receivers, but there are a lot of draft experts scouts who don't want to take a wide receiver in the top five or even top ten. Where do you stand on that?
Speaker 8: I think if it's an elite prospects like Marvin Harrison Junior, then you do it. I would put the leak neighbors and roll with Doings up there as well. They would all three would have been the number one receiver last year, no matter how you had it ranked, they would have been drafted highly last year as well. I think guys like Zay Flowers and Jackson Smith and Jig but Jordan Addison would be probably drafted in the late teams to early twenties this year like they were last year. But you know their draft stock would say about the same. So I get the argument of, hey, this is a position you can find value late. First look at Justin Jefferson. You can find value in the second round. You have aj Brown and Deebo Samuel and Rashid Rice. Last year, I had a huge year for the Chiefs. This is a second round pick, so you could certainly find that value in round two. I think when it's a transcendent player, you know, like Jamar Chase was. When you can get a player like that, it's worthy of the top ten pick. But you certainly hear that, you know, of top ten should be a quarterback, a tackle or a pass rusher. You know that's that's really it. Now this year we're going to see a lot of that. We're going to see a lot of those guys early. But the expense of wide receivers. Justin Jefferson's going to get like thirty million dollars a year has made it to where if you can hit on one even in the top ten, it's still a really good value.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm wondering about this with Justin Jefferson. You let Kirk Cousins go. You got Jefferson there, he's going to charge you. You know you're gonna it's gonna cost you thirty million dollars. You're going to bring in a rookie quarterback or maybe you have Sam Darnold there, are you really threatening this year? What could you get for Justin Jefferson that once again allows you to reset everything. If you're going to draft a quarterback, now I got to reset. You got Addison there, you got a running back there, got an offensive minded head coach. But what do you do say, Look, we have the best receiver in football. We're going to keep him and help out our rookie quarterback at thirty milliye.
Speaker 8: That's the I think that's what they're going to do, because your fan base would revolt if you traded a twenty five year old best receiver in football. But that's you know, in your hypothetical here, if you called the Arizona Cardinals and said Hey, instead of taking a chance on the best receiver in the draft, we would trade you the best receiver in football. It's going to cost you four overall. The Cardinals have twenty seven overall, so you're probably gonna want that, and I would want more than that, though, I would want more than the two. First for Justin Jefferson, even understanding that you're gonna have to turn around and pay him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't want to pay him thirty million. I would rather take one of these other receivers that it just I mean, we're looking at Dallas right now, Matt. I mean they got to pay Dak because Jerry handled this poorly. Cede Lamb should be locked up.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: He's going to cost you even more. Micah Parson's going to cost you thirty million c D. Lamb probably twenty five or so, and then Dak's going to cost you fifty five to sixty million dollars a year.
Speaker 3: You can't wait with that.
Speaker 8: You can't. Dallas is a poor blueprint for what anyone does. I mean, it's terrible. Three you could argue the three most important positions of football, and they have guys entering the contract here at the same time. It's it's not a good plan. I think Philadelphia is the model of you draft good players and you pay them early, you know, and there's a risk. We've seen that blow up, you know, with Daniel Jones and Carson Wentz and some of the some of the quarterbacks. I would argue they weren't good players, they were just they were just paid because of you know, sentimental value. But I think that's the idea is draft, you know, draft Devon to Smith that when you realize he's a hit, you pay him after that third year because the salary cap is only going to continue to, you know, go up at astronomical value, and guys are gonna just want a bigger piece of that pie. So I'm with you, don't do not look at Dallas if you're an aspiring general manager, don't look at what Dallas has done. Or you know the New Orleans Saints teams like that that every year they're trying to scramble to figure things out because they've mismanaged either their salary cap or the way that they do their contracts.
Speaker 3: What do you think Buffalo does.
Speaker 8: I think Buffalo would love to move heaven and Earth to get Roma Doonze and I actually I completely agree with this strategy. If you're Buffalo and you've gotten so close to to taking over the AFC, but you can't beat Mahomes and the Chiefs, you just can't do it when it matters. So you've gotten that close, why not go all in to try to do it? And I don't know that a you know, pick at twenty eight overall is going to be the difference for them. I think now's the time you know that you're going to be picking late in the first round every year because you have Josh Allen and you have a good coaching staff that it's always going to put a good defense out there. How valuable is next year's pick number twenty eight or twenty nine overall if you could take this year's first, next year's first and get Aroma Dune, say in the top ten, potentially, I think Buffalo is one of the few teams really where you can make that argument of you're close. You have the quarterback, you have the infrastructure. What you need is like you were saying, Dan, you need that rookie wide receiver. You need that guy making five million dollars a year who could be one of the top players at his position, So why not go for broke? What do you have to lose? If you're Buffalo, You've gotten you know, you've had leads. You were up with thirteen seconds left in arrowhead like you're there, So why not make that big play, the splash move, you know, the Julio Jones type trade to go get a roma dune.
Speaker 3: Say give me your wild prediction for tomorrow.
Speaker 8: That would be one the buffalo. Just I had a scout text me this, The Buffalo is going big game hunting when it comes to the wide receiver. So that was something that I toyed with in my final mock draft. I still think Michael Pennocks Junior is one of those things. And I know you know a lot more people than I do, but it's the one thing that I can't stop hearing is that Michael Pinnox is going to go in the top twenty. He's going to go a lot earlier than people think. So I don't know if I'm being told that, So that I'll hop on the Dan Patrick Show and say it and teams will oh panic and freak out that, oh my gosh, Michael Penock Junior is going earlier. But a lot of folks are saying that to the point that it's hard to tune it out.
Speaker 2: I heard the same thing, you know. One of my sources, whose a scout, said he just consumes football like we love it. The injury doesn't the injuries don't scare us. We loved what we saw, and I go, okay, because I'm trying to figure this out, like who's really telling you the truth and right? But I don't know if anybody reacts to this. Matt if if all of a sudden, Sean Payton's going, wait, what did Dan say? Now We're going to have to go up and get in We got to spend I don't know if anybody, if you, are reacting to what we're saying. I got real concerns, you know, for those gms and coaches, But I.
Speaker 8: Know they you know, I'm not trying to brag about this like they read the mock drafts because I get the called, you know, like, hey, who do you have us taking? I was at Michigan's prota and a GM came up to me, and actually I felt bad. I didn't recognize him because I was kind of in the bulment. He's like, hey, who do you have us taking and I was like, oh, oh yeah, okay, I have you taken this player? And it was like okay. And so maybe he just wanted to start a conversation that way. But I do think that they I do know that they read the mock drafts and they listen to the intel because maybe, you know, maybe mel Kiper hasn't dug it. That will actually help you. You know, know that you have to jump someone.
Speaker 3: To get your player good to talk to. You know, you're busy, have fun tomorrow and night. Thank you man, I appreciate you.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's Matt Miller, ESPN NFL Draft Analyst, part of ESPN's coverage. Something's happening, something has to happen tomorrow night. I just feel that way. Wow, oh we just got this. Am I allowed to read this?
Speaker 3: Tod Sure?
Speaker 6: Why not?
Speaker 3: Okay, you know what, I'll take a break.
Speaker 2: This is from a former Heisman Trophy winner who was at the ceremony this morning for Reggie Bush, and I'll bring back part of the interview I did with Reggie when I ask him, would you drop the defamation lawsuit against the NCAA if they said, here's your Heisman and your records back.
Speaker 3: We'll have that for you coming up.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wap UH.
Speaker 2: Just got this from Eric Crouch, former Heisman Trophy winner quarterback at Nebraska. The Heisman winners didn't know about this happening today. It was a surprise to us. The location was Ponta verdre verdre Beach, Florida. Or is it Pontra Vidra Vidra. Yeah, Ponta Vidra. I think that's the home of the PGA, the Heisman Summit. I believe Reggie is on his way back home now. It was exciting to see him to get his trophy back today. Eric Crouch and so Eric in a picture there with Reggie Bush. So I guess they invited Reggie. Reggie knew he was going to get the Heisman. Those showing up probably went, wait, what's Reggie doing here? Or maybe you bring him in a big surprise. He comes in. You know, he's got the Heisman with him. Guys are sitting down having breakfast, probably signing some autographs there, maybe playing some golf. Reggie comes in he's got his suit on, bring the heisman in, have all the heisman winners there. Because this wasn't one of those Hey I'm hearing that this might happen. It was, this happened, and now we're going to report on it. That's what happened with the ESPN. It happened.
Speaker 3: And then all of a sudden, it's like Reggie's getting his heisman back.
Speaker 9: Yes, what if Reggie was invited to the summit and he's like, no, I'm not going to be around or I'm not interest are not available, but they want to do this big surprise, and then they got to ruin the surprise on the phone. Is the only way to make sure he Oh.
Speaker 2: I don't think he was surprised when he got there. I think Reggie went there knowing he was getting his heisman back. I don't think he was like, hun, going to Florida. They want me to go to the Heisman Summit. Well, why they won't give you your heisman back?
Speaker 3: That's food and drinks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds like fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I'm going to guess they say to REGI, Hey, we're going to surprise the heisman winners, and uh, we're happy to give your heisman back. I'm guessing that's what happened. Eric in Pennsylvania. Good morning, Eric, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hi? Six one two five. I just wanted to kind of throw a scenario that old guy like me get off my line, kind of guy, what's right? The rules in place? They want their penny bang buscus. I got to get out of here before they with Reggie and all the players, nothing roles. In two thousand and four, here's a kind of a similar thing to see, see what you guys think. In two thousand and four, the speed limit of my road was fifty five. I was caught going seventy, so I was fined. He got points twenty twenty four. The speed limits seventy on my road. Do I get my points back? Do I get my money back? I mean, it's just to me again, old guy here just saying, why don't they just let it go? I'm glad he's getting it, a guess, But when the rules change and they weren't that way when you got it, I mean, how do you I'll all of a sudden say forget about it.
Speaker 3: So now I understand what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Eric, he broke a rule and it cost USC dearly cost him the Heisman trophy. Does the USC get the national title back? I mean, those are the things that I want to know. You want to give Reggie a trophy? Go ahead, we all know what we saw. He was the best player in college football. But USC lost it title, They lost whatever fourteen wins Pete Carroll and then the sanctions that were imposed on USC. I mean it decimated the program, all right. So Reggie was on the show back in mid January, and I asked him if he would be willing to Now there's a defamation lawsuit going on with the NC DOUBLEA. Now that doesn't have anything to do with the heisman, but are the two combining their efforts here to stave off a defamation lawsuit by Reggie Bush? So I asked him, would he be willing to drop his defamation lawsuit with the mc DOUBA in return he gets his records and his heisman back.
Speaker 4: It's too late, it's too we passed.
Speaker 11: We way past that.
Speaker 2: We pass the But if they restore your records, then you get the heisman.
Speaker 11: They're gonna have to do that anyway, that's gonna happen anyway. All that's gonna happen anyway, because again, I don't know if you heard what I said.
Speaker 8: A lie is a lie, right, and so if it's a lie, then it's going to be exposed.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 11: We'll find out in his lawsuit, you know what I'm saying. We'll find out who's really telling the truth. And that's what's the most amazing part about it is.
Speaker 12: We've never young, We've never been able to do this for so long, I've never been I haven't been able to do this, which is you know, father's lawsuit against the NCAA until they made that statement, you know.
Speaker 11: And so that's again, that's that's what you guys are seeing now for the first time, you're seeing my story, my case being tried in an official way, you know, in the court of law, which is something that the end of the way, has.
Speaker 4: Never had to do.
Speaker 8: They never had to prove their case in the court of law.
Speaker 2: So that was January sixteenth of this past year. And he sounded pretty confident there, right, Marvin working together, Yeah, Pauline.
Speaker 7: I think the Heisman when they decided to do this, alerted the NCAA and then said they didn't want any part of it because the nca usually fights to the death against things like this.
Speaker 2: But if they can fend off a defamation lawsuit, would you be willing to swallow your pride and go okay?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 7: Knowing the NCAA, I think they would fight it for years.
Speaker 2: But just a new new regime, you know, Charlie Baker, that's fair. So maybe you just have somebody who has a different mindset, maybe a little more open minded to this and willing to go okay.
Speaker 7: But the can of worms they may have opened. I mean, if I'm Michigan Basketball.
Speaker 3: If I'm fab five, I'm like, hey, we'd liked our banners back.
Speaker 5: Lawyer up, Yes, this might be too harsh, But what pride does the NCAAA currently have left?
Speaker 3: Like, I'm not joking.
Speaker 5: They have conferences openly revolting saying we're just going to form our own thing in the next couple of years. That I mean they they are completely silent in all matters other than their name being at the top of the March Madness Tournament.
Speaker 2: NCAA strip usc of fourteen wins the games that Reggie played in, including the national title game against Oklahoma. Reggie filed the defamation lawsuit against the NC double A in August of this past year. Yeah, it feels like there's a little bit more to this, but all quiet on the western frontier.
Speaker 7: Yes, Lincoln Riley said he's going to get a national title for USC football. It's under his watch. He's the coach. Yeah, he can somehow get him a national title. They'll overlook that it's from oh four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it gets celebrate have a parade, right, yeah they do. Heck yeah, all right, more phone calls coming up. Final hour and once again we got phone calls out to a lot of people. I've heard from one source who does believe that this is kind of a combo platter with the heisman in the NC DOUBLEA to try to stave off the defamation lawsuit. But that's what I I would want to know with Reggie, because he sounded pretty confident that no, it's too late. He said, well, now that you have the heisman, is it too late? Can you just say, Okay, we got what we wanted. You admitted you made a mistake, and I get to have my heisman.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tom, And he.
Speaker 9: Said they got to give it back to me anyway. He's really he would double down with you. In that interview, saying this is going to go forward, regardless of giving me it back or not.
Speaker 2: All right, update our poll results have a new poll question for the final hour the day before the day of the draft. Todd's here, Satan, Marvin, Paulie, yours truly in the back room, guys, Final hour this Wednesday, just ahead,