Speaker 1: What's up? Everybody? Welcome into a Monday edition of Texans All Access from the Hyundai Texans Radio studio. Hopefully you all had a great weekend like Steph Curry dropping hole in ones on par threes, whining golf tournaments. We are the Steph Curry of your radio dial, John Harris alongside the Voice of Texas Mark Vanamirre.
Speaker 2: How'd you like that Steph Curry from deed?
Speaker 3: That was awesome? He dunked it was terrific. He dunked it and pure joy. That was great to see. I love that tournament. I think they should do two or three more of those in the off season of the NFL. So, I don't know, everybody's got different offseasons. I don't know how you coordinate.
Speaker 1: All that with the owners meetings. Not a bad idea Spring meetings. They put in a place where you can golf, NFL golf tournament. Put it on live mic, everybody up. It would be awesome. The coaches the match, do you remember? I mean this the match was what a week and a half ago. It was Mahomes and Kelsey versus Clay and Steph and they're talking trashed or getting after each other. It's hilarious. Yeah, I mean, it's absolutely awesome. It's some of the it's it's really really good. I didn't see all of it, but I saw enough of it to know, you know what, I want to keep watching this.
Speaker 3: Everybody's watching that Quarterback series now, so you're seeing a lot of stuff about much as you've seen just one episode. I know, I'm way behind it. Pretty good, it is good.
Speaker 1: It's good. I mean, listen, you're not gonna get everything broken down, but you're gonna hear more play calls than you've ever heard in your life. Yep, and they will blow your ever loving mind. They will blow your mind. I'm not talking to you, I'm just talking to people in general, like, wait a pass is that long? Yep? Absolutely, Wait till you hear, Wait till you hear. Kirk Cousins called one of the plays for the Vikings all the way through. It's it's it's incredible. It's really cool.
Speaker 3: It goes to show you how hard it is to play this position. And a guy like Cousins can last as long as he has. And I know he takes a lot of heat. He's won a lot of football games. Okay, He's not perfect. We all know that he's won a lot of football games. I think this is particularly good for the Vikings fans to see that he's an actual human being. That helps too. And the guy who made the biggest play in the last how many years of Vikings history, Actually he's in this building. That's Case Keenum. Yeah right, and Diggs obviously is a huge part of that. But I'm saying the guy who pulled the trigger.
Speaker 1: Off, you could say Case that's a top ten play all time NFL given the situations. It's playoffs, it ends it's a walk off.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's huge.
Speaker 2: Although they did bring him back out to kick the extra point.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about Vikings history. I know they haven't been to the super Bowl since the seventies. They went to four and lost them all kids, but Grant was the head of playing there wrong way. Marshall was a fit. Maybe their most famous play ever Johnny and negative. It's a negative that might have been their most famous play ever till the miracle. That says a lot about Case. Yeah, he was able to execute that thing. Of course, I did a training camp position break down. You want to check it out on quarterbacks, and I just start doing every player. As I go through and I get the case and I'm writing about Case and as I'm writing about it, like, man, this guy's seen it all.
Speaker 1: He's done it all. I mean, he has those two years and seventeen with the Vikings and he goes in eighteen to the Broncos and he through for about thirty eight hundred yards at the Broncos. I mean, we saw him that night. He's bringing them back. I mean, if McManus doesn't kick it wide right, I mean.
Speaker 3: They make that kick. That's not an impossible kick, it's not he makes that kick. Case Keenum beats the textall that kick flew.
Speaker 1: Over my head.
Speaker 2: Mark it flew.
Speaker 1: I mean, we all know the famous story of my mic being left up. But I'm screaming wide right. But that bat flew over my head and that was from fifty plus, so he had enough leg he just missed it.
Speaker 2: He makes that Broncos get another win.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 2: You know, it just didn't work in Denver for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: But it made me think about Case and and just his journey and what he's what he's done. This is his twelfth season. He technically it's his eleventh. From a you know, from a games service standpoint because his first year was all in practice squad. That's track at twenty twelve, so he didn't get on the fiel les twenty five. And then he has that, you know, statistically put up some decent numbers at thirteen, but then get a win. Then he's got to come out of a deer blinded story, he told us, which was great. He wins the last two games of fourteen. Then it's moving around to the Rams, and then it's moving around to the Vikings, and then it's to Denver and it's to Washington, et cetera. It's amazing the journey he's been on. And I start thinking about his value to this team, and I know a lot of people put them on the field, he'd be great. I'm like, look, cas is thirty you know, five thirty six. Right now, it's this is not designed for Case to go out on a field and play seventeen weeks. Step in when there's an opportunity where there's you know, somebody, somebody gets hurt, something happens, he's got to step in. Okay, great, but not to be a seventeen week starter, not not for this team.
Speaker 3: Are still there are a lot of people that don't understand that right now, some people will assume that he's the guy or the backup, right, and maybe he ends up being the backup here. I don't know. But the way the reps were going on OTAs and this was well publicized, it didn't appear to be the case.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing, Mark, and I think this about Case, Keenan and there might be a few others, but I think Case has immense value to this team beyond anything he does on the field. And I think that goes without saying in some sense, but I think you kind of have to say it. You kind of have to look at it and go, look, you're gonna get if you have players on your team that don't set foot on the field, but yet they give you tremendous value. Do their leadership, just the way that they're able to help younger players, the way they can help a coaching staff that's young and new. Yeah, I mean I think Case is older than drot Oh yeah, Drawd Johnson. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 3: Those guys could talk about a lot. Of course, he's older, Wait is he close? It's close to those But because Tannehill's rookie year was well and so was cases and Jerrod and Tannehill were in college together, so there, so it's close. It's close, but it feels like he's older.
Speaker 1: Right because case has seen some things and done some things. Now we're gonna get in some coaches a little bit later. One of the guys that case Key ended up throwing football to was DeAndre Hopkins.
Speaker 3: I think his first touchdown passing that Kansas City game Week seven, twenty thirteen was again was to Hopkins.
Speaker 1: Hopkins. We're gonna talk about the DeAndre Hopkins because he is now a member of the Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 2: Mark.
Speaker 1: We do this every now and again on Mondays sometimes during the season because there's so much going on. Your gut reaction when you saw the news this weekend at DeAndre Hopkins is going to make his way to Nashville as a member of the Titans, all right.
Speaker 3: I hate seeing this for a variety of reasons. I don't like seeing I didn't like seeing Andre Johnson go to the Colts and then the Titans. I don't like seeing DeAndre Hopkins go to the Titans in the division Colts Titans. Even Jazz I wouldn't want to see it. I don't like to see it. So from that standpoint, I hate it. I want him in the NFC. If he's not going to be here, I want him somewhere else, far away. Now wend would have been preferable to me, just as a Texans guy, right, I want to see him not here, not around us, because it is kind of painful. Look, I love DeAndre Hopkins. He was a beloved player here. He was tremendous. I really enjoyed talking with him. You did, too, You talked to with him more than I did. But every time I've talked with him, I think I thanked him three or four times just for his service while he was here. Thank you for your service. Thank you for all those touchdowns and amazing catches and look, doing what I do. I'm really grateful for a guy like DeAndre Hopkins. He was a spectacular player who made just mind numbing catches, catch after catch, made it look easy. Just a great player. And now he's in Nashville. I don't know how good he is anymore. I think he's still pretty good, all right. I don't know what it's going to mean for them. I think it's a little over what he might mean for them. But it could be really good. At the same time, who knows, we'll see, we'll we're all gonna we're all gonna watch it together. Texans don't face the Titans till very late in the year twice, right, so we'll see what they are like at that point. Who's playing quarterback? How is he doing? But my gut reaction, Johnny was I don't I wish it was the Patriots of the two because those are the two jockeying for a position to get him. I was hoping it was gonna be New England instead of Tennessee. But overall, I would prefer an NFC team.
Speaker 1: So we had a text threat going between you and I and Deep and Drew. It was on Sunday, and Drew just texted with the Twitter notice, and that's what we do. We see things on Twitter, and you know, we send it to each other and we kind of remark on it in different things. And Drew just said, damn, and I get that. I felt like the damn part was more about him going to Tennessee than it was he's not in here, you know, because there was some talk about, oh, he's got he can come back to Houston.
Speaker 2: They need a receiver. This is a big fit. Doesn't always work like that.
Speaker 1: I think there are a lot of things that are that are going on with this this ball club, and you already had committed to Robert Woods. I think Robert's your oldest receiver. I believe who else will be older. Yeah, he's the oldest receiver. I just had to say it out loud to make it make sense. Yeah, I don't know that you could have done another one. And I know you know people like, well, you didn't have to go sign Wood, you could have signed Hopall. Well, no, you didn't know Hopkins was gonna be available until around draft time, so you didn't know that was gonna be the case. So you've also got some young dudes. You gotta find some stuff out about. Look this, I don't know where John Metchi stands in in in his arrival re arrival from you know, dealing with leukemia, where whether he's getting clear or not. I know that was the talk at the end of OTA's and Minie camp. I hope that happens. He's gonna need reps. Tank Dell is gonna need reps. Nico Collins has really if you look at it this way, look at his games played. He's basically played one season was like he played one season and then the other he didn't, and he wasn't even fully healthy for that season. So Nico needs all the reps he can. Robert Woods knows this offense, he still needs reps to get in a synergy with CJ. Stroud and with Davis Mills as opposed to what he was with last year in Tennessee and even before that with the Rams. The receivers need all the reps they can get. So I know there's there's some frustration from Texans fans that I kind of noticed on Twitter. I'm like, this just wasn't the right spot in the right time for Hop And I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I love the guy, absolutely love him. We were at Applebee's.
Speaker 1: I remember, we had like six to eight of us out for dinner and Appleby's the Greenbrier. We had a big old dinner and he went to Applebee's to go get.
Speaker 3: His food a takeout.
Speaker 1: He went to get a takeout and he could just waved at us. He came over stop, shook everybody's hands. Yeah, thanks us for you know, for being there. And I was like, man, there weren't a lot of players that would have that would have done that he did. I said a soft spot in my heart for him, and I hate the fact that we will see him. But then again, you said it, we don't play it. Titans still December seventeenth. There's a lot of football between now and then. And I remember when when Andre Johnson went to the Colts in fifteen, and I remember thinking, just I love Dre, but fandud Luck's not the quarterback. How good is that gonna look every single week? Well, on Thursday night, it look good against us and it's stunk. But then late in the season, Yeah, we went to Indianapolis. We had arguably our greatest road win ever.
Speaker 3: Was he playing that day?
Speaker 1: Andre played that day?
Speaker 3: Hassle Beck still playing.
Speaker 1: And hassle Beck, now with a clean diaper, was not getting into football.
Speaker 3: And maybe he needs Tazuma's revenge to play well. At mean, not Andre, but hassle Beck at that stad.
Speaker 1: And then the next year he goes to Tennessee and We're like, oh my god, he went to Tennessee. We won the division both years. Now, I'm not saying Texas are gonna win the division this year, but I'm just saying if Andre Johnson can go somewhere and we can play against him, If JJ Watt can go somewhere, we can play against him, We'll survive this. And again, I love Hop, I love Hop a ton but and there's been a lot to talk about. Well, you know, he's playing with Tannell, he's playing with with Will Levis. Well he's had to do the first career. Yeah, but Hop isn't the same guy that he was early in his career. He's he's a different gasp and banged up, doesn't have quite the juice he used to have when he was playing with the guys that you know, weren't great non pro bowlers. It's a little different. He's really gonna be that guy again for Tennessee because who else is going to knock him out of there?
Speaker 2: Trailing Burks, Nick Westburog Keenan.
Speaker 1: I like Burks. I think Burke's is gonna end up being a solid number one. But he in there yet, not especially after last year. So from all of that, we'll see what happens. But I'm not totally convinced. I'm not one hundred percent convinced that we actually face him twice this year.
Speaker 3: Okay, No, I'm not either, and he's had some injury issues. He'll be the first one to tell you that.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: They obviously understand what they're getting. As far as an individual goes Tim Kelly, Mike Rabel, They've been around him, all the other guys on the Titans in their organization who have been Houston Texans, they get it. It just feels in some ways because they're gonna win the oiler uniforms one game this year, one game this year, and they get DeAndre Hopkins. It just feels like the Titans organization is obsessed with Houston. And sometimes that's a positive Rabel and friends, I mean, they've done some good things there relatively, but sometimes it's a negative. Right, got to get Andre Johnson? Really do you really have to get Andre Johnson at that point in his career? And look, I wish Andre played here forever. It didn't happen. I wish he played forever. Whatever didn't happen. You think about all the other acquisitions they've made, and they've moved on from many of them as well, But think about this. A couple of things about this acquisition. ESPN had a great stat I was in the cafeteria this morning. They flashed it up on the screen, and it was pretty funny because they had Titans organization members all time receptions t res yes, so it's Hopkins over seventy, Vrabel double figures. Nobody else more than five. I think Chris Moore might have been the leader with five. That's unbelievable, Chris, Johnny, that's unbelievable. It is that before this acquisition, Rabel had more career touchdown receptions in trick plays than any member of the Titans organization.
Speaker 2: Almost all of them combined.
Speaker 1: Yes, twelve crazy well and by the way, Verbe played linebacker, not tight ends.
Speaker 2: Got an offensive position. He played linebacker.
Speaker 3: He caught one here as a chief against the Houston texts.
Speaker 1: He yes, as a chief.
Speaker 3: Was that was he was at that point, Yeah, must have been that one.
Speaker 1: It wasn't ten ten, it was it was later, because there was seven. He was still at the Patriots.
Speaker 3: They were here in ten when the Texans beat them and went four and two at the time. I got to look that up.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about Frabel a little bit later, but.
Speaker 3: It's that's funny. The other one is NFL memes, and they are so funny. They're so good. I think even the league office has like memes because it's just such great comic relief. But they had the Antonio Brown ripping his shirt off video at the Metal Lands. They had that, and that said DeAndre Hopkins after catching passes from Will Levis and Ryan Tannehill for two weeks, and I thought that was hilarious. But that's not d Hop. D Hop's not one to complain and be publicly demonstrative that he's not getting the ball enough or in the right way or whatever. But I would imagine that behind closed doors, he's gonna say, listen, it'll be better if we do this or do that. He's gonna have feedback, input, whatever. Because he's DeAndre Hopkins. He's an accomplished receiver, one of the very best who's ever played the game. I don't care what the numbers say. That is a fact. And I'm not sure how this is going to play out. As long as Tannehill's healthy, they can run the ball a bit. There's gonna be so much opportunity. But if Tannehill doesn't play that well, the line doesn't pan out. Because they're rebuilding it. Levis ends up playing. You know, he's gonna catch his because he's DeAndre Hopkins with a catch radius the size of Rhode Island.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's gonna work out by enlarge though, big picture wise for the Titans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think maybe they're just looking at a stop gap. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think the Titans are very confusing because there are times when I go, well, okay, they must be quote unquote tanking to possibly get Kayleb Williams. Well, then they draft Will Levis. Oh okay, well is that the young guy they want to groom. So it's like some on some hands. On one hand, it looks like they're trying to, you know, I'll just kind of mail this season in, but then we'll start a new Hey, look at some of the other moves. Well they reupp to with Jeffrey Simmons, Like, okay, they paid him a lot of money to do it, which I wish they wouldn't, But it just feels odd. It feels weird. It's like, are they all in to go win games or are they set up to be nine to eight? Yet again, I just can't They're kind of in the land of mediocrity if you ask me, I think defense is exceptional. I think the offense is still mediocre because I think the offensive line is absolutely dreadful. But if they can capture, if they can capture uh, Derek n Best again, if DeAndre stays healthy again, then maybe maybe if Tannehills stays healthy. Even if Tannehill is healthy, I put the I put the market nine and eight. I put it at nine and eight. I don't know the water mark high water mark for them, ninety eight that's well, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they're gonna have to manufacture wins and do it the raable way and all of that.
Speaker 1: They are they are. They are literally the twenty fifteen Texans and now they have DeAndre Hopkins to prove it.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's gonna work out the way they picture it. It is a really it's a rich man's acquisition. To me, it seems strange for what they're going through. They should be doing more of what the Texans are doing. Hey, these young guys gotta play, gotta get them seasoned. We feel like we can win some games with them, right if we get hot.
Speaker 1: You never know.
Speaker 3: They have to feel that way because they have Derek Henry approven commodity MVP candidate as a running back. If they can get him going again, it all feeds off him. Well, as I say this, well, maybe you know, maybe they just believe. And we know their defense healthy, especially upfront, can be very good, can be. So we'll see maybe they can knock off the Jaguars. Maybe they're the team to do it. But we're all waiting. We're all eager and anxious to find out how it plays out.
Speaker 1: I saw this craft done by somebody today and they said, we're using the same algorithm that some Major League Baseball site used to come up with things that have been very, very accurate and had the Titans with eleven wins. I'm like, no, how do you thank you for com on? I was like, no, oh, And the worst part was they had the Jaguars with six and a half wins.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm all in for that.
Speaker 1: I'm all in for it, But I don't think that's I don't think that's happening unless Trevor gets banged up. I don't.
Speaker 3: Well, people keep asking me, and I just I always go by the history of this team and my win projections and everything, and it even if I'm right, and I've been right very often or in the neighborhood. I was particularly right during those nine and seven seasons. Yep, but it never happens the way you think it's gonna happen. Right, you win one, you think you're gonna lose, You lose one, you think you're gonna win, that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: So who knows. Trip to La to take on the Chargers in nineteen, win that game on the road, turn right around, play the Carolina Panthers and get beat at home. Yeah, I mean to Kyle Allen, Yeah, to Kyle Allen, Well, we lost the Christian McCaffrey. Then how about Gardner Minshew here almost almost got the Texans? Was it?
Speaker 3: Fournette still at that point getting left?
Speaker 1: Just stuff in Fournette six inches from the goal line.
Speaker 3: He makes that two point conversion. You lose to Gardner Minshew and the Jaguars at home to start.
Speaker 1: This, that would have been bad. Oh, yeah, that would have been Then you got to go to La to take on the Chargers. Now it's a must win. Now you did win, but you come out of there instead of want to two you two and one, you know why, You're looking good, But then you lose the call.
Speaker 3: You know it is one of the things that's so tough about this game is those kinds of things. Okay, you made the play, and we all know it's a fine line, but it's the old Van Gundy thing. You can't ignore in victory what you wouldn't in defeat. You have to account for that. Hey, we were in a situation where Gardner Minshaw was about to beat us, so we clearly have to improve off of that. It's kind of like, I'm gonna make the analogy here. It's kind of like my golf game. Right, you hit the ball six inches one way or to the other. Well, now it's in the trap. It was gonna bounce out of the trap and maybe roll out of the green, and I'm putting in a two putt a i could par the whole or but now I'm in the sand and it's a tough lie and here comes three more strokes or maybe four. Right, So that's football, also, that fine line. You have, one bad thing happened. Okay, this might cause you to change some things that are really gonna make you better, or you got away with it. Are you fat and happy? Are you still adjusting? Are you taking into account that you're not as good as you think you are. But you are winning. Okay, let's see how we can get better.
Speaker 2: Happens to tennis? Two one points all it takes.
Speaker 1: If you watch Joker taking on Altcraz yesterday, Man, what an athletic performance that was just I mean, that's that sports performance was just incredible. It was cool. So they were they were so funny.
Speaker 3: But Johnny, so it's four and a half hours, four forty five, I'm sorry, all right. I took the little kids skating and came back and still got to watch it.
Speaker 1: Had consume That's why I consumed it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's on, right, it's but here's the problem with tennis. It's on and you, oh you missed that point, right because you're looking away. Golf you can kind of all right, I'll rewind that. I know you can rewind the tennis too, But then so much has happened since, so it's a hard sport to ignore or ignore just to have on in the background and really enjoy it at the same time.
Speaker 1: No doubt. But it was definitely enjoyable for sure. Now we've been talking about Mike Vrabel a little bit, did throwing Doug Peterson a little bit PFF, excuse me, PFT. Pro Football Talk has ranked their top ten coaches in the NFL. They're up through six. Ten through six to have to name their top five. CBS Sports is rated one through thirty two. They are remarkably different. Next on Texans All Access, Welcome back to this Monday edition of Texans All Access from the Texans Radio studio. Mark and John with you, and Mark pointed this out to me, and then I added another piece to this. Mike Florio is doing his coaching rankings, and he's just doing a top ten of the coaching rankings, and he's not gotten all the way through the top ten, but he's got five and two of them come from the the AFC South. The five that we think are not listed, we'll get to those in a second. But here's what Mike Florio has for best coaches in the NFL. And we're gonna compare this to what Cody Benjamin did on CBS Sports because Cody did one through thirty two. So it means our pal Demico Ryans is named in that listing. I was a little surprised by his ranking, and I'll we'll give you the number a little bit later, but Here's what Florio has right now. Ted best coach in the league, Doug Peterson, Jaguars, ninth best, Mike Rabel Tennessee Titans, number eight, San Francisco forty nine Ers head coach Kyle Shanahan, number seven Rams head coach Sean McVay, and number six Broncos head coach Sean Payton.
Speaker 2: I saw those five, Mark, I had a little bit of an issue.
Speaker 3: Okay, we had a bit of an issue. Do you have an issue? Let me guess here? Does Rabel belong in that company? He's been to one conference championship game, He's coming off a losing season. What have you done seven in a row? What have you done for me lately? Does figure in? Because I know I just firmly believe that when his top five comes out, and we can guess who the top five is for Florio. He hasn't named him yet, but when they come out, Belichick's not going to be number one. I think he'll put read number one.
Speaker 1: I think it'll be number one, Andy Reid, Bill Belichick, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, Ravens coach John Harbaugh, Eagles coach Nick Sirianni. At least that's what we surmise. That's that's that's the deal.
Speaker 3: Can I start with you there though, in that top five in no particular order, is there anybody in the five that does not belong in that five?
Speaker 1: I mean, if you want to talk about what have you done for me lately? I mean John Harbaugh. Yeah, And if you want to push push down up a.
Speaker 3: Little bit Tomlin, it feels like Tomlin a little bit, Belichick a little bit see Tomlin, Yeah, I guess so, but Tomlin especially, it feels like if you criticize Tomlin, it's like criticizing the Pope in the middle of Vatican City, right true, no matter where you are, because everybody has such great respect for him, and rightfully so. I thought last year he did a hell of a job breaking in a new quarterback, and he also did a hell of a job squeezing whatever football life that was left out of Ben Roethlisberger.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't have much an issue with Tomlin as I do Harball. But if you're going, if you're going on that, and you know they want some games in Baltimore, don' think there's any question. I think John is a tremendous.
Speaker 3: Making the playoffs last year was a pretty good achievement considering Lamar Jackson's health.
Speaker 1: Right, But here's kind of my this is, this is my issue to have harball head of Kyle Shanahan. Now, I know Kyle's not perfect and he had a run there where it was it was a little dicey, But they've gone to the NFC Championship game in the last two years. He's thought to be, if not the best play caller in the league a teen and Andy reid Off it's play caller.
Speaker 2: You got to give him credit for that as well.
Speaker 1: Now he's got a roster that has been built up, and I think Kyle shann has a really good coach when it comes to well is this guy the best? You asked me this a lot of times. You know who's better? Yeah? I always think about this. In one game scenario, with the same talent on each side, which coach do I want? Unfortunately, I would say Frabel. I would want Frabel over Shanhan number of these guys over a number of these guys, I would want Frabel because I think Vrabel is going to get the most out of whatever he has, and if he's got high end talent, he's gonna get even more if he's got low end talent. And what's the old saying, he's gonna make good great, He's gonna make great, elite. He's gonna make elite championship level, or however it goes.
Speaker 2: But Rabel is a.
Speaker 1: Guy that I I want, I want leading that team.
Speaker 3: Here's I think he's an incredible football coach, and that roster has not been good, hence Ran Carthon coming in to be to be the GM.
Speaker 1: But I have issues with the two Shawn's Okay McVeigh, I mean, look, they went out and they obtained Now McVeigh was was driving the bus. He makes the personnel decisions with the Rams, I mean less sneed did all the behind the scenes work. But you know McVeigh pulled the trigger so that I mean, look, that's that's part of being the coach of that team.
Speaker 2: So you got to give him credit for that.
Speaker 1: But when that talent was hurt last year, and that talent was not there, when von Miller was now in Buffalo and Matt Stafford was hanged up, when Andrew Whitworth had retired, still had Aaron Donald.
Speaker 3: What did the Rams do? Not much much? They went five and twelve, Johnny five and twelve.
Speaker 1: Mm hm.
Speaker 3: But I will say this, that's his first losing season.
Speaker 1: I'll give him that. I'll give him that.
Speaker 2: So I don't have as much of McVeigh.
Speaker 1: I do think it's not I don't like Shanahan being in front of McVeigh. I don't like that you could swap those not be okay with that. Sean Payton, I don't know. The whole coaching search was Sean Payton this past year. I'm like, I mean, I get it. You know, he won a super Bowl that was fourteen years ago. Yeah, Mike, Mike McCarthy won a Super Bowl before that in twenty ten.
Speaker 3: It bought him a lot of years. You win a super Bowl and you keep winning even though you're not winning championships, it's gonna buy you a lot of time.
Speaker 1: I e.
Speaker 3: Harball, Tomlin, all these guys right, if you were I'll put it this way, if Tomlin and Harball had never won a Super Bowl, but every other season is exactly the way it is. For that you just eliminate their championship year, they wouldn't have lasted this long. There's no way you'd get frustrated. You'd say, no, they're not getting over the top. They can't do it. They can't do it. They're gone. Peyton the same thing. Although Peyton after having what three consecutive losing seasons after going to the Greenbrier, which is kind of weird, but three consecutive losing seasons, then he got it going again once they left the Green Brier. I'm not really trying to throw the Green Brier into the bus here. As a matter of fact, I'd like to put the Green Briers a possible future Texans training camp destination because I'd like to go back.
Speaker 1: Yes, but that's my brons are going there this fall or this summer.
Speaker 3: Just for a little bit, right, just for a little bit, just.
Speaker 1: For a little bit. Let's go to CBS. Just their list. Their list is remarkably different. Let's start at ten. That's not different. Doug Peterson number nine. This might be when we forgot But I don't know how you squeez him in. Pete Carroll number nine.
Speaker 3: Who's he gonna take out?
Speaker 1: See?
Speaker 3: I could say that he might take out Tom lein Ard Harbaugh.
Speaker 1: I think he might take one of those out. Eight, Sean Payton HM seven, Sean McDermott bills number six Tomlin or five Harbaugh for McVeigh, three Belichick, two Shanahan and one Andy Reid. Now, I would probably say I'm a little bit closer going with that ten than Flourius ten. But we don't know the top five. Did Pete Carroll make the make the top five? I don't know. I thought Pete did a really good coaching job last year without Russell Wilson. Yeah, you know, the guy that had been the face of the franchise. They trade him, they get a huge haul back you want to hot take, and then they get into the playoffs with Gino Smith.
Speaker 3: You tell me how many sizzle fires this should get Pete Carroll over Kyle Shanahan.
Speaker 1: Oh that's five and a half. That's five plus. That's five, that's five plus. I'm not gonna argue with Pete Carroll being one hell of football coach. I believe in Kyle Shanahan. I think the way that maybe I'm a little bit biased because I just heard that play Callers podcast and so I'm listening to you know, how he handles things and how he does things, and it just jives with the way that I think about football. So maybe maybe it's that. But Kyle Shanahan the last couple of years gone to NFC Championship game, went to the super Bowl in nineteen, so he went to the super Bowl nineteen and then twenty one and twenty two, he gets the NFC Championship Game. They lose this one because they're on their fifth quarterback. Yeah, he turned Rock Party into Brock freaking Party.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think hand but he never had the stability at quarterback that Pete Carroll has had with Russell Wilson going good. Now, you have to give Carol a lot of credit for that, but he hasn't. He's done it one year without him done it, meaning make the playoffs. Shanahan six years, three losing seasons, three winning seasons, but the winning seasons have been really good. Yeah, And that's the thing I do think, and I thought previously that he was a little over inflated, but getting to the conference championship game the year before last and especially last year like you brought it out with Brock Purdy is super impressive. But I think Pete Carroll is almost as good as it gets because you look at his record over the years, Johnny, it is incredibly impressive. He had the one losing season in twenty twenty one. Everything else since getting in Seattle, since getting Wilson has been a winning campaign, if not a super Bowl campaign. He won a super Bowl, lost to Super Bowl. Hey, maybe he's one of those guys like I poured it out. He lost to Super Bowl in twenty fourteen on the interception by Malcolm Butler. Since then, he hasn't made it to the conference championship, but he's made a lot of playoff appearances. He's made what six playoff appearances, hasn't won a ton of playoff games, but a lot of winning seasons, only one losing season. Had he not have those Super bowls, which I get is a big exception, you'd be saying, oh, he can't get over the top.
Speaker 1: He's got to go.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like that Harbaugh, Tomlin, that category of guys who like and Peyton as well, you know who. All right, you won a super Bowl a long time ago, but we're gonna wait because we know you can do it.
Speaker 1: On CBS Sports, yeah, they have raybo at thirteen, they have Syrian on at twelve.
Speaker 3: That's pretty low.
Speaker 1: And they went they had the Florida eleven. So it feels a little bit like experience. Yeah, played a big role, but why have did you say the number one guy yet and you Reid?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Why have Reid and Shanahana had a Belichick? Then?
Speaker 2: Come on? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, why are you slamming Belichick for not doing well lately? He made the playoffs with mac Jones Mac jones first year, had one bad year with mac Jones, and then the year before that obviously Cam Newton. It didn't work out in Brady's first year out of the building.
Speaker 1: I'm not buying this complete argument, but I can see people saying, look, how good is Belichick without Brady? Right?
Speaker 2: All right, So I'm not buying it.
Speaker 1: But if you go just purely on numbers, how good has he been without Brady in the last three years? He's without Brady and again he's without Brady at twenty twenty three, So how good is he without braidining.
Speaker 3: I think this is a very important year to determine that. Not that they're loaded at quarterback because they have Mac Joness and animal see how it goes.
Speaker 1: And number three, number three ranked OC in the league with Bill O'Brien, So they have him, And I mean I say that partly in cheek, but yeah, partly tongue watch and cheek.
Speaker 3: But supposed to be. And we went over the OCAs and we thought at that point, we thought, but then, okay, with all the turnover at the offensive coordinator position. There's a lot of I hear a lot of people who just don't understand the history of the league though, And when you have these arguments, Belichick did win a playoff game without Brady in Cleveland. Yes, he had Vinnie right, so long ago, people, I know, before the internet, It was before the It was in ninety four. There was a internet. There was Commodore sixty four, aol America online. Anyway, he beat Bill Parcells and Drew Bloodsoe in Cleveland.
Speaker 1: He did very much. So, all right, where do you think Dimico comes in at one through thirty two?
Speaker 3: Well, you sounded surprise, So I would bet it's sort of high, like twenty four or something.
Speaker 1: Oh good, twenty five, twenty five, Now I start feel good about it. He's ahead one ahead of Robert sala As. At twenty six. He is a few ahead Arthur Smith. I think Arthur's a better coach than they gave him credit for he's five in front of Josh McDaniels, McDaniels at thirty.
Speaker 3: Well, McDaniels, what have you done for me? Ever as a head coach?
Speaker 1: Jonathan Ganne at thirty one, Matty Eberflus thirty two. Then I was like, Okay, that's pretty good. Guess there's one spot ahead of Demiko Ryans think Indianapolis.
Speaker 3: So Shane Steiken, yes, is going to get the nod over Tomico.
Speaker 2: That feels why, like why, really why?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Maybe maybe it's this Super Bowl appearance as an offensive coordinator with the Chargers. They got the most out of Justin Herbert and then they go to Philadelphia and now he's got to do it.
Speaker 2: So maybe there's some of that, I guess.
Speaker 1: But then you gotta give to Migo credit for his defenses in San Francisco and.
Speaker 3: All this is speck anyway, right, These guys have never coached the game as a head coach. It is fun to rank them, But next year we're gonna have a lot of body of work to look at, at least a little body of work relatives with some of some of these other guys who have been coaching for two decades or more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mike McDaniel for the Dolphins at eighteen, Kevin o'c college seventeen, Frank Reich comes into sixteen, and this is one I would I know, it's only one year, so there's not a body of work I and part of it is because I don't know, maybe I feel a little bit embarrassed. I thought the Giants were gonna absolutely stink last year. I thought they were gonna be awful. Daniel Jones, like Dables, a good coach, but got them to the playoffs and beat.
Speaker 2: Minnesota at Minnesota at Minnesota. Yah.
Speaker 1: They got housed the next week by the Eagles in their division. Brian Dables really good football coaching, a really good head coach. He's in at fifteen. It's probably about right. Give him another couple of years and see what he can do. And I don't know if Daniel Jones ever ends up being that guy for them, but that's.
Speaker 2: He's a he's a I was really impressed.
Speaker 1: They didn't really do a ton to us where I went, like, you know, scheme wise, this it was just the fact that they took care of business against us and knew, okay, And this is the one thing that Belichick gets a lot of credit for, and we've give him a credit for because Bill O'Brian just tell us all the time that in the first quarter, in the first quarter that Belichick would walk over to Obi and say, Hey, this is this is a running kind of game. This is gonna be an aired out kind of game. This is gonna be a thirty seven to thirty four kind of games. So make sure and and they will seem to have that kind of figured out, like what kind of game the Giants needed to play to win?
Speaker 3: Very parcels Ian, Yes, very much so, very nice fit in New York. He went to high school in Western New York near Buffalo. There's something about him when you see him, you feel like that's a good fit. Gable winning.
Speaker 1: It just's gonna be a good right for them.
Speaker 3: And I'm glad we don't have to play them this year, but you know we'll see like, oh.
Speaker 1: Man watching Dexter Lawrence not having to play him. Oh thank god, oh man, that was a murderers row that we were facing from the NFC East last year. So thankfully we don't have to face them, but we'll face others, including Mike Rabels, Guy Jeffrey Simmons.
Speaker 2: All right, we get back. We'll go round the league. Eight new news.
Speaker 1: We'll touch on the other side right here on Texans All Access. What's happened everybody? Welcome back to this Monday edition of Texans All Access. I'm your host, John Harris, Football on out sideline Report. Appreciate you being with me as we are nine days from Mark and I going live at eight am. That's a Wednesday, July twenty six, as we kick off Texans training camp twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Cannot wait, cannot wait for that to happen.
Speaker 1: All right, it's go around the league and the theme of the first segment was DeAndre Hopkins AFC South. The theme of the second segment was hey coaches in the NFL. The third segment is all about the running backs and it's not good news. Three running backs were tagged, meaning they got the franchise tag Cowboys Tony Pollard, Giant Saquon Barkley and the Raiders Josh Jacobs. They had until three o'clock Local time four o'clock Eastern time to get a long term deal done.
Speaker 2: None of them got a deal done.
Speaker 1: All three running backs as long as they signed the franchise tender. We'll be playing this year under a one year contract. And it has kicked over a hornet's nest of so many different thoughts about NFL running backs, the expendability of NFL running backs. I've seen a lot of people espouse their theories about NFL running backs. I think Matt Miller from ESPN put he would draft the running back if he's good, give him a one year franchise deal, and then draft another one and go from there. And I'm not I'm not totally opposed to that that line of thought either. My thought on running backs has always been you ride that running back, and you ride that running back, and if it's good, you keep riding. If at some point it breaks, there are gonna be plenty of This is a supply and demand business, and it stinks for running backs, it really does. And there are a lot of people that think a lot like me in the league. But if you get a great one, Derrick Henry, Christian McCaffrey, someone of that ill keeping Dalvin Cook. I mean, David's on a second contract with the Vikings. It was super successful with that second contract. When you find a great one, you keep him. The key to on a second contract has been in most cases, it's guys that give you something extra. You know, Arion Foster, he was gonna give you sixty to sixty five catches. McCaffrey one, you had eighty eight catches or ninety catches. Dalvin Cook has always been a really good receiver out of the backfield. So you add that extra something, that little I should say little catch the ball in the backfield. I mean the guy turned into a receiver, take less carries, play on third down, you know, have another at that goes right along with you. And I think the Texans sort of benefited from that line of thinking with Devin Singletary. The Bills felt like, man, we gave this guy four years of a lot of touches and we don't know that we want to re up with him. Texas ended up signing Devin Singletary, and I think it's going to be for the betterment of the twenty twenty three team and hopefully for the betterment of Devin to show that he can do a little bit more. He can be even better in the third down game, and he can be a great complimentary piece, side pick up, whatever you want to call it to Damian Pierce. They can be a one A one B sort of situation. Running Backs are tricky man's and it's rough. I mean, I love these guys, love the running backs that have come into the Texans room. Maybe not so much lately. I love his guys, but they just haven't been great running backs. But Damien's going to be up against this in a couple of years, like, what is the value of a running back? What is the value of running back to that particular organization to some teams that might be a little bit more than it is to others. And the Cowboys said, you know, Tony Pollard one year Raiders Giants. I thought the Giants might get something done with Saquon Barkley, but they didn't. And it just really goes to show. And Barker is the number two picking a twenty eighteen draft. Man, it just goes to show that it is a tough, tough business playing running back in this league. And you wonder why it started to a passing league because a lot of guys that potentially go play running back way back in the day, they moved out the receiver. Look at what receivers are making, look at the contracts receivers are getting It's a tough business. But three teams have running backs on one year contracts and we'll see what that means for the Cowboys and maybe ze Kelly. Does Kellytt come back to play alongside Tony Pollard one of the Do these guys get traded to a team that does maybe value a running back or have some more money to pay a running back. It's gonna be really interesting to watch this whole thing unfold. But as of today, the deadline Pollard, Barkley Jacobs, no low long term deal completed, and that, my friends, is the show. The show is completed. Big thanks to Mark, to all of you for listening and appreciate Joe back at studio. Oh you guys, thank you so much for listening. We'll see tomorrow and as always, go Texans.