Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode contained spoilers for the fifth episode of Plurals, Got Milk on Apple TV Plus. Hello Manny In, Jason Steps and I'm Rosie Night and welcome back to xt revision of the podcast weedow Deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. Coming you from My Heart Podcast. We're we're bringing you three episodes a week, bust news.
Speaker 2: In today's episode, it is Pluribus one oh five Got Milk.
Speaker 3: We're gonna be digging into it with a recap.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be asking some big questions heading into the rest of the season.
Speaker 3: And before we jump in, guys, a quick production note.
Speaker 2: The holiday season is here, so we will be sharing some short to stocking stuff for episodes with you.
Speaker 3: They will include gift guides. They will include.
Speaker 2: Extra thoughts on holiday things and TV and movies that maybe we would not be able to cover with everything coming out in the next few months. So we had our first few episodes last week and keep an eye out for more throughout December.
Speaker 1: But first, let's seven Plurals. Wow. Great episode. We open in the hospital where Carol is hanging out waiting to see how thoshit is. After Usha's interrogation induced heart attack. Carol is, you know, just kind of waiting, squeezing her stress stuck. We see a man drinking a carton of milk, one of the little school cartons. Then the phone rings. Carol picks it up at the front desk. It is Lakshmi, and Lakshmi's pissed. She's like, you made my son cry? What the fuck are you doing? And she's like, never did it again, goodbye, hangs up. She's very angry. At this point, you start to notice that all the Hive Mind people seem kind of mad at Carol, like they're very unhappy with her. They're giving her a there's definitely a vibe. Yes, Harol like grabs one of the Hive Mind people and like, don't let me call me again. The guy's like whatever, Like definitely is like okay, But then maybe there's an attitude one of them. When Carol asks, says, so she's gonna be fine, but like in a really annoyed right way. And then Carol lays down for a nap.
Speaker 2: This is not the Hive Mind to her, only there to please Carol anymore us.
Speaker 3: And then we see like them just streaming.
Speaker 2: Away from the hospital appears as if they are like fleeing Carol, maybe fleeing the potential of a nightmare.
Speaker 3: I was wondering, like, if she's angry and high dream would that do something? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm very interested in that they board like coaches basically to leave and time passes.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure in the script it.
Speaker 2: Said beat Carol wakes alone, and she does, and where is Zosha?
Speaker 3: That's the biggest question. I think.
Speaker 2: I'm really scared at this point by the scope of how quickly they can arrange and organize stuff, whether it's rebuilding a sprouts or emptying a hospital. Carol tries to make a call, but she is no longer priority number one, and they do not pick up. There's only a message saying, tell us what you need, Carol, We'll do our best to provide it. The hide mine needs a little space from her, and she climbs to a rooftop and sees the entire population fleeing and says, good riddance. What a way to wake up. Imagine pissing off the entire world?
Speaker 1: What a way. She goes home and she begins drafting a script. Uh she and it gets made up for her, you know, with her video camera setup that's still in the living room. She puts a new and stick card in the camera and then she, reading off her notes, goes straight to camera and addressing her twelve other fellow survivors, basically pitching like this greater mission to cure humanity. He lays out how she knows everything that she knows about about the Hive Mind people they can't lie that they want to please them, but that there is a cure, and that they basically confirmed to her by process of elimination that there is a cure, and that it was in pursuing this information that she and accidentally got everybody to burst out into tears all around the world, and she's like, sorry about that. He then calls the Hive Mind, leaving a message and says, hey, I want this videotape distributed with captions for those who don't speak English to all the others. And she leaves it in a little like padded envelope outside her house and a drone comes because they don't want to approach her. A drone comes in and carries it away. I will say that my initial reaction to this video is this is not going to get it.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, Jason, likelihood of my manifestos winning bad, it's not. She's not winning anyone over, Like this is not a well made manifesto.
Speaker 1: This is just Pete's stand at Carol, and I think this is very This is part of the tension of this show. That's so interesting is you know, like, nominally I'm on Carol's side, but the fact that she is. She's going about it in almost the same way that the Hive's mind do their exactly I like and ask for consent. They just they just assimilated everyone. Harold here she makes a very kind of like bare gesture chords like now, I know some of you might not agree with me, but then she usually rolls over that and is like, we must together to do this.
Speaker 3: She's like, oh, now I care about curing the earth. It's like, do you like you didn't seem to be.
Speaker 2: That bothered about any of this before, Like she's not, she's not selling it, but she's doing her best good for Caro. And she tries to sleep but she can't, which understandable because the whole world hates you.
Speaker 3: It's like my regular night terror.
Speaker 2: She sees a coyote hop the fence and eat her garbage.
Speaker 3: Makes sense, It's Albuquerque.
Speaker 2: So she sees a wolf and it begins to eat her garbage, and she's like, go away, trashes the garden as if you've ever had a raccoon or a coyote or a wolf in your house, they are want to do. She calls the Hive mine and she's like, hey, put on these lights. The wolves are getting brave, like they put them on. But the next day, Carol's like, I'm gonna clean my yard, goes outside getting her little racon and she calls the Hive mine and she's like, I need my trash to be picked up now. I gotta say I'm kind of liking the Hive Mind's response to this because Carol, I don't feel like you're relying too much on them for you're just calling them all the time.
Speaker 3: They do this for me, do that for me, but like you could do it yourself. And that's basically what they say, which I love.
Speaker 2: They're basically like, hey, here's a recording on how you bag your own trash, Like great job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the drones, so the drones can take each individual bag away.
Speaker 3: And this is very interesting.
Speaker 2: Now we're starting to get some clues, and I feel like this was very clear from the opening of this episode that the milk would be a foreshadowing thing. And she starts to notice in every trash cans just tons of milk. So I'm like, hopefully they can be beaten by lactose intolerance. That's kind of my dream outcome here.
Speaker 1: She goes to the dairy where the milk comes from, the kind of like the bottling plant Duke's dairy, and it does not seem to be operational at the moment, and whatever they're producing there, it does not appear to be milk. She finds like a storeroom where crows have torn into a bag of like powdery stuff. She drags the bag home and gets like some pH balanced stuff in different very basic like chemical reagents to kind of test what this stuff is. She never records a new video update for the survivors. She's like, Hey, the hive mind drink this weird liquid that's water mixed with this white powder that I found. They all eat it. It's like oily to the touch, like olive oil, but like maybe a little thinner. It's probably the stuff. I'm thinking that the hive mind. It's it's probably similar to what that we saw the Hive mind making the lab in episode one.
Speaker 3: I think it's going to be.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting to me because we're already getting to that kind of soilent green at esque like what's in the bag?
Speaker 3: Is that how they keep control of them?
Speaker 2: Like I love this, I love this wrinkle, But again, Carol, nobody cares.
Speaker 3: Not like common persuading, not good at persuading.
Speaker 2: You've got to be coming at this with a hey, here's another clue, Like I'm gonna keep recording these just for you know, society, so they know what happened or something.
Speaker 1: I mean. I also think that Perrol, her only interest in the other survivors is like, help me with.
Speaker 3: This, exactly.
Speaker 2: She doesn't actually care about them, or their family or their.
Speaker 1: Kids, anybody. You're not gonna get anybody to buy in like that. You know, you're just not so even though your message is one that I think everybody on some level would agree with, You're just not gonna convince everybody if you're if you only want them for their ability to help you, and don't do the shit otherwise exactly, which is true.
Speaker 2: Also, I think a strong theme for the show is probably where it's going, Like, hey, imagine if you were an active part of your society.
Speaker 1: So she's very frustrated, you know, with the fact that the Thrivers don't seem to care. I think maybe realizing this message is not like quite up to snuff. She deletes it and records another one and then sends that.
Speaker 2: One off and that's the drone comes And this is where this is where you're really getting some like this ending sequence is so Vince Gilligan at his best and craziest and bleakest, because Carol's drinking again, and honestly, in that way, I don't blame her.
Speaker 3: It's a tough time. She's loving through the end of the world.
Speaker 2: But the wolves are back, and this time they don't want her trash. They want her ex girlfriend and agent slash publisher Helen.
Speaker 3: They are digging her up to eat her.
Speaker 2: There is a chase into the house and eventually end with Carol basically having to drive a cop car through them to scare them away through her backyard. Wakes up in the car, decides that the only option is to go and build a grave site kind of concrete over poor very soap opera style over Helen's grave, and then she ends up also making her a headstone and decides she's going to get drunk. But I feel like again, Carol, learn a lesson here. She knocks over the powder stuff and notices a barcode. If you had just looked at it closer before, wouldn't have had to get here. But you know what, babe, do your best.
Speaker 1: So she takes the bag with the barcode to the local sprouts to scan it, but it doesn't come up incredible, but she eventually locates that the bag comes from a company called Agrijet, and she goes to Agrijet, which it's like this big storage facility with a huge freezers and huge refrigerated containers and inside there's like a lot of produce for the sprouts. And then something she uncovers, something like under a blanket and whatever it is, it absolutely shocks her, leaving us with like a cliffhanger that I almost I almost couldn't stand it.
Speaker 2: I know, I like kick, I'm kicking, I'm kicking the TV.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm like, tell me what's not get in there. Let's take a quick break and come back and we'll discuss all of this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we're back.
Speaker 1: Okay. I really liked this episode, and I really like the you know, I mean, I think that there is something about the way we process maybe like politics too, in this because there's a.
Speaker 3: Lot of people I think so too.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of figures, let's say, like out there whose politics maybe I agree with, you know, but just the way they carry themselves, I'm like, I can't, I don't. I hate you.
Speaker 3: You need to be perssonable.
Speaker 1: Bill Maher is a person who's who's politics. I ninety five percent probably agree with them. The five percent I'm like, you are a piece of shit, Like I need you. But the way he like hawks to people and goes about his whole thing is so bad that I'm like, man, fuck this, fuck this guy. Leena Dunham is another one of these where I'm like, you know, I agree with all this, but I just am not with you the way yourself.
Speaker 2: Of course, Carol is really having that same struggle right now.
Speaker 1: Yes, where it's like, Carol, could you act like you care about these other people? Could you like ask so what's going on with your how you guys up with you?
Speaker 3: Any idea?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And instead of just like jumping immediately to a pretty drastic ask, which is like, let's stave in the world.
Speaker 2: And we the only way we're doing this is communicating this through the Hive mind.
Speaker 3: Like the imagine if you there's gotta be up a way.
Speaker 5: Imagine if you were like the other eleven survivors and you were all coming up with a really sick, like radical underground plan that you'd been communicating to each other, and then someone just kept like dming the Hive Mind and being like, hey guys, hey, Hive Mind group chat, Hey, we should save the world.
Speaker 2: Save the world, Like I would also be annoyed. Yeah, I think this is another great episode. I think it builds on what we got in the last episode in a really exciting way. I also think that we are at the space now where the milk and the Juke's dairy of it all is the kind of hook that we need. I think that they do need to start delivering a few answers or we could end up in a Yellow Jackets type situation. So Jason likelihood of the Hive Mind powder oil milk being something that keeps the Hive Mind connected, or that they need to drink to keep control of them. What do you think or do you think it's just maybe it's more of a body anatomy type thing, the way that when you're a vampire you don't really need to eat food anymore. Maybe once the hive mind takes over, it's more of a kind of last of Us brain infection. So maybe this is a way to keep people sentient and not just like eating each other. I'm very interested to know where it goes, because Vince is an unexpected man.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that this is some sort of nutrient concoction that gives them all they need to keep being alive, but that also probably services their connection to the hive mind in some way and maybe re ups it. Maybe it's gout like some of the original DNA recipe. But the fact that it's all that they and soon we needs you to believe that it is necessary for them to live. And then the question is like, what is it? I mean, I don't think. I guess we're led to believe that whatever she finds in the freezer is so shot like dead bodies, dead animals, something, some sort of soilent green thing that is so can't be that right.
Speaker 2: It can't because it's too obvious, Like they can't just be eating the dead humans, like it's too obvious. I know he's going to do something surprising, but I just gotta know what it is.
Speaker 1: Also, I guess I was what I was dying.
Speaker 2: It could be this would be very bleak, but it could be like Helen is in the refrigerator and actually they're keeping the bodies of the dead for whatever reason, and they never buried her in her god like, like they dug her up out of her garden or something. You know.
Speaker 3: But that feels a little bit.
Speaker 2: Too Carol ex Machina, like a little bit too on Carol, though, I will say I've been enjoyed how many surprising kind of connections we've had between like this and the Chair Company and even it Welcome to Derry and the whole Agrijet stuff was giving it was giving Chair Company.
Speaker 3: I was like, yes, it really was really similar.
Speaker 2: I think this notion of liminal spaces and the way that everybody is living so online that sometimes you go outside and you're like, oh, there's nobody here, Like where is everybody playing? On these kind of ideas of like places you expect people to be and they're not. Whether it's an office building, like we're investigating in the Chair Company or if it's this, I think there is something really scary about that, and I think that a lot of shows are really digging into that right now. And yeah, the end of this, I was like, this is so Chair Company coded, but I need to know what's in the fridge because, like you said, it's too obvious, and I don't think he would do a pull the punch. It's not really a twist, you know. It also is not just going to be like her favorite Booze or whatever version. There's something in there, but it has to be a situation of something so shocking that tells us a new part of the story and what is going on with it. So I'm very interested in a few different things.
Speaker 1: I think that there is something about the way that just to participate in the world, you have to understand like what company owns, what company owns what company? Like even just to talk about you know what we talk about, it's like, Okay, well this ip is owned by Disney, but they got it from Fox and they got it. And I think there is something there is that similarity in Chair Company and this where it's like, Okay, you're where does the bag come from? And where do they make this? And who owns that? And where is this? Actually? You know, it's like you're it's like this Russian nesting doll of corporate structures that we all live inside, and that the feeling is that when you're inside one of these nesting structures, it's hard to understand, like what's two layers beyond it? But the feeling is that if you go enough layers beyond it, there's only one nesting doll, like we're all in, you know what I mean, Like it all leads back to one or two companies. And I think that mystery is that feeling of confusion and bewildernentment about being trapped in this kind of big maze is something that really resonates.
Speaker 2: Ian put a great question in how, which is what are they doing when they're not with Carol? Like do we have no idea? Everything is so focused around them? They're working on something? Are they building something? Are they programming something? Are certain segments of them just sitting asleep, hundreds of them at a time, just like in sitting like zoned out, Like that's I want to see that Why to world Vince has done a really good job of Carol being are in. But now I need to know what happens next. And now the show's been you know, I believe picked up for the second season.
Speaker 3: I think we will. We're definitely going to get to know that. Okay.
Speaker 2: Also another question ari hive mind stuff. Are the animals in the hive mind?
Speaker 3: Like were the wolves? No, you don't think so.
Speaker 2: You think that could also be a big part of how they save the world if the animals are not. If that was just the wolves naturally digging up a dead body because they could smell it and they were hunting down trash rather than some kind of hive mind ghoulish behavior. To kind of explore Jason going into episode six, what is the thing that you need them to explore the most and give you answers on the most or the character you most want to follow up with?
Speaker 1: You know, I think that finding out what they are doing, like what they must be working towards someigger project. Clearly they are doing that, and that the mission to service the survivors with whatever they need is probably you know, a miniscule part of their daily operating, you know, load that whatever it is that they are doing spending the majority of their time doing is probably one the production of this nutrient juice that they need, and then two whatever the bigger project is, which is something we don't that's the thing that we don't know, Like, what is the bigger project? This wasn't just to unite the world in a hive mind type situation where we can all drink the milk juice. They must be the planet has been hijacked for a reason to do something. And I think part of it again talked about it is in the first episode they talked about how the power needed to send this signal six hundred light years across space. It must have required an antenna the size of Africa, and I think that they're doing that. They're building a part of it is building another huge antenna in order to send this message to whatever inhabited planet in the direction of some inhabited planet. The question I guess is were they aiming at us? Did they know we were here? Is it just to act get the Paraguay guy?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Guy? Is are there like pioneers that go out and locate planets?
Speaker 4: Mm?
Speaker 3: Hmmm? Are they sending out colonization ships?
Speaker 1: Right? And then drop a pin and say, okay, aim then and a hear that's the kind of thing that I'm I can't wait to find out along with you know, like what the fuck is under the blanket in the presearch.
Speaker 3: Right, like we need to know what's head that.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm really excited about as well is I'm loving that our discord has been loving this and our listeners have been loving this. And Vince has really kind of expanded out some teasers with a recent letterbox list that he said are the ten movies that he thinks most influenced pluribus and this is really gonna give you some good. This is some weird shit to talk about. Okay, So this is a classic Vince Gilligan thing. So this movie is called Afterlife. It's a movie about recently deceased people who basically have to pick like one perfect memory that they can just take and recreate for them in their afterlife. But the best thing is Vince Gilligan has never watched the movie. He says that in the description, but he says, this idea of the joined being able to see all of the different memories came from that movie. So you can watch it and be ahead of Vince Gilligan, who still apparently has not watched it. Another one Albert Brook's classic Defending Your Life. Defending your Life, classic classic, and that one, he says, is really like, that's a lot of influence on Carol's personality and this kind of crankiness and this kind of feeling of how depressing and cranky can you be in real life? And could you change that? The one that really in the one I think is really interesting. He chose Invasion of the Body Snatches. Obviously, he chose the nineteen fifty six version, which is our original kind of well Spring version. But the quote from this that I think is so interesting and tells us a lot. He says, what if there was an argument to be made in favor of losing your individuality and joining the hive? I would argue that argument has not fully been made yet in the show. So I'm really excited to see the fact that he thinks that there is this version where joining the hive would be better. We also have some classic isolation movies. Omega, man, I know we're both big. Richard Matheson Fancy wrote, I am Legend the book it was based on, and this Vincent Price movie is like so good, and I like that this is kind of where he got a lot of the isolation from. He says, you know, obviously Vincent Price is like fighting vampires, but Carol is in the emptiness of the sprout.
Speaker 3: She has to combine.
Speaker 2: Sorry, yeah, it's it's it's I Am it's the Charlton Heston in the Omega Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Such a good.
Speaker 2: Movie, and obviously Carol does not have vampires killing her. Vince says, maybe that's a red herring yet, but I like that he kind of sees that liminal aspect. A New Zealand movie I actually haven't seen, called The Choiet Earth also on his list. Basically, just every other human vanishes, only three people left and they have to have this conversation about what happened. Obviously, the ones that really surprised me though, the Shining I think that is like so tonally different from this show.
Speaker 3: But I love that for Vince Gilligan, he.
Speaker 2: Says, basically, like, you know, it's the creepy neighbor kids that came from the creepy Twin Girls. You get the kind of acts that the Salamanca cousins have in Breaking Bad that was inspired by the Shining this has been something through his career. But really, for it's all about the isolated writer who is drunk, who is unhappy, who cannot find happiness. Obviously that is reflected in Carol then other ones. The thing obviously ultimate powerier kind of story, so makes a lot of sense. Also turns out Vince Gilligan Great Great Taste has a lot of big Kurt.
Speaker 3: Russell feelings and it meant a lot to him when Kurt.
Speaker 2: Russell loved it. But the thing that is biggest here is the monster's hiding among us. So there's kind of these jewel themes of the isolation and the notion of like not knowing the people who are around you. Truman Show makes a lot of sense. Though again I also think adds a very interesting wrinkle because he has never ever watched The Truman Show. Vince Gilligan watch it, but he said, you know, everyone brings it up on the show all the time. It's one of the biggest influences for the writing crew. So I'm interested in that they live one of my all time favorite John Carpenter movies, and that for him is like it's all about the action, the overlords, that secret feeling of convincing people to wake up and realize they are being subjugated, and that is such a huge part of what he took. He says, Pluribus actually owes a debt to that part of the They Live and the final one, which you guys may not have seen. I'm a big fan of this movie. If you are an X Men fan, you have likely been influenced by this movie without even knowing of it. Village are the Damned, which is are you know, Midwich Cuckoos fall sleep in England. When they wake up, they start having babies, and all the babies are blonde.
Speaker 3: It's very Umbrella Academy coded.
Speaker 2: And suddenly the kids exhibit these crazy psychic powers and start to be able to take over the adults. And he says that's actually one of the things he thought about the most while writing the pilot for Pluribus and trying to hit like all the kind of time honor tropes of this possession, you know, invasion of the body, snatches stuff, and he says that one is like throughout the show, just a recurring echo. So if you guys want to check those out, that list is on letterbox. And I just think that is such an eclectic list that it tells me, I still don't know where I'm going. I just still can't tell what's gonna happen in episode.
Speaker 1: I think it's the one thing, the one theme that I'm seeing. It was the kind of feeling that I'm seeing that is that I'm definitely getting from this show is the idea that, like, you know, this body Snatcher's idea where everybody gets assimilated into a borglike mentality. But you know, with Omega Man and then I Am Legend later, the thing about the vampires is they were, or at least in the original novelization, the legend was the hero of the story Charlton Heston in the case of Omega Man, and then Will Smith in the case of I Am Legend, it was the legend was the vampires talking about this crazy, terrible killer of their.
Speaker 2: Kind who was just constantly coming out and killing them and pulling.
Speaker 1: And haunting them. And so the the idea is that you know, these people have been assimilated, but they are having their producing their own society and culture that the hero of the story can't understand. And you do feel that with Carol, like she whatever it is that the hive Mind are doing They're doing something. And while I agree with Carol that there is a definite lack of consent in the way that this was achieved, they are also there's also a consciousness and an agency that exists there now that she's working against that she needs to try and acknowledge on some level, like the fact that everybody was pissed at her, Like, we need to unpack this a little bit, because what we've seen is like the hive Mind are generally cheerful, They're very eager to please. If you ask them for something dangerous, they're going to be they're going to feel weird about it. But we never seen them really have a negative emotion. In fact, we've seen them respond with paralysis to Carol's negative intense emotions. So to see them be like kind of man at Carol, Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: Like they're very interesting.
Speaker 1: They're upset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm intrigued by this because I talk about it a lot, but I always bring up because it really did stick with me. Years ago, I went to go and see ABC's of Horror at fright Fest in London.
Speaker 3: It was ABC's of Horror.
Speaker 2: Too, and there was a short film that was the O segment. It's twenty five, twenty six different movies, each one with a different letter of the alphabet, and the O was called Alacrisy and it's about it's a segment about a world where the zombie apocalypse has happened. Zombies are now the sentient ruling class, and they are putting all the humans on trial who killed zombies.
Speaker 3: And I thought it was such.
Speaker 2: An interesting idea, and it's like a two and a half minute movie. So I buy a gimi hata, and I just I really love that element that he is bringing here to that like okay, as you pointed out, like yes, there was no consent, but now this is the majority culture that is now living there and has you know, a mind and allegedly a society. It's a very interesting, complicated, sticky thing. And I think that's going to make the next kind of half of the season and hopefully continued into season two really.
Speaker 3: Something to dig in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in a way, that's going to make it not as simple as it seems.
Speaker 1: The other interesting implication is the wolves. I do not think that they were sent to torment Carrol. I think that they are reacting to a lack of food and meaning that there's a lack of normal human garbage to scavenge. Yes, and also whatever happened whatever happened to all the dead bodies that died during the changeover, they're not they can't get to them. So I think they're attracted to the smell of Helen Corps because it's the only eagally available food stuff, which I think you know, in and of itself, raises a lot of questions about like, what happens to all the resources around here?
Speaker 3: Really good? That's really good?
Speaker 2: Okay, Yes, so many questions and I am so glad that this show is hitting for you guys because it is like so fun for us to cover.
Speaker 1: On the next episode of Extra Vision, we're diving into it Welcome to Dary episode six and previewing the twenty twenty five Game Awards, and diving into the upside Down with our Stranger Things season five coverage. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening, Bye. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Sepcion and Rosie Night and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kolefman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common, Laurent, Dian Jonathan and Fey Wage.
Speaker 1: Song is by Brian Vasquez with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator