Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphne's Aniga and iHeartRadio podcast. Hi guys, Hi.
Speaker 1: We are We're having another Still the Place recap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're all like yapping away and Courtney's like.
Speaker 3: Stop stop talking record for you people at home. These ladies actually talk in real life. I keep saying, no, we only talk when the cameras are rolling. Real relationships are stupid souche okay stuff.
Speaker 1: To say such a real life people.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're so wasted in land. What we were saying is maybe the fans want to know is death. We are going to have our guests back, and you know, not just once, and I think it'll be fun. Uh you know, I have Vanessa back and we're Josie wouldn't get back, and I start to do stuff with Jake. We'll get you know, Grant back and all of this stuff. I think it's great.
Speaker 3: But as we're watching them, we're thinking, oh god, this one that's coming up today. We wish Vanessa was back to talk about this show. So we're going to look ahead and have our friends back more often because it's fun. We just saw Doug.
Speaker 2: Do you think you can get it.
Speaker 1: I think you'd be open to that.
Speaker 2: Maybe if I call him, I think you should maybe, Well that dog, he's so difficult.
Speaker 3: Oh his Broadway career and all. It was so much fun to have him. And you know, I know that you guys have now heard the episode with him, but I've talked reached out for a lot of my gay friends were about my age and talked about what that meant to them.
Speaker 2: It meant so much to all of them.
Speaker 3: And we talked about with Doug is that he refused to answer whether he was gay or straight in real life, and every single friend I've asked about that said it meant so much to them because he wasn't distancing himself from the gay character, so really impacted people.
Speaker 2: I was really at him to be that age and you know, that young and an actor who a young actor who needs a job, and it's not like here we are in twenty twenty four looking back on that era that was happening for the first time, and he made the decision to not tell anyone, even when Aaron and you know, the network and everyone was encouraging him. You know, just say that you're not gay, and it's not like now to say that where people have done it after him, you know, it's like he was on the front lines of that. So yeah, so true.
Speaker 3: I really do to tell you guys something funny. You at home weren't in the room, so it's all of us in the room with Doug. And it's so funny because Laura was so quiet, and it's one of those moments when it's like you know too much, like you're like, I'm gonna let them ask questions because you know, everything.
Speaker 2: Was so funny.
Speaker 1: Well it really there was just so quiet. I mean, I knew that she started and yeah, no, but it honestly is his greatest It's the thing that he's most proud of the experience of Melrose's Place is that he's been able to have that impact and it still is something that he hears from people about today. So he yeah, he's really proud of that.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. And you know what I'm learning from Melrose's Place in general. This first season it really did tackle the issues and I think Courtney, as you pointed out, you know, it was a first really again, it wasn't just turn in to tune out and be entertained and in safe topics Melro's Place and Aaron Spelling and Darren Starr and the writers really tackled these issues like the gay bashing, and you know, I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: So I'm really proud and impressed with, proud of and impressed with Melo's Place and the creators at that time. And I love that Doug stepped right up to that.
Speaker 4: You know, that was real.
Speaker 2: That was so much fun. Cool. He's so fun. Your husband's so fun, Laura.
Speaker 1: I think so too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that. So cool. Yeah, you loved it.
Speaker 1: So I do think he'll be back. And we are getting you know, one more recapped in We're riding around the corner from Daphne coming up?
Speaker 3: Are you after this one?
Speaker 2: Fifteen? Daphney's in the next and Hope with your an party for Joe.
Speaker 1: I think we're going to but yeah, like I feel like this episode, episode fourteen is the first one where I started like yelling at the television, which I think is a classic experience that Melrose viewers audience members were having in subsequent seasons. But this episode is the first time I was yelling at the TV, like don't do what a stupid choice? Like she was to me, yeah, like, but also like I was yelling at Keith, I was yet like, let me say yelling, you don't what I mean, like, no, what are you doing dude? Or yeah, you know that, like that sort of thing, which I think that sort of exasperation is indicative of what's down the line. But tonally, I just found myself having that experience for the first time in this episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like I think one of you guys made this point last time, which is that it started before we thought we thought of it. When you guys came on and Heather came on that that's when it started to get spicy. But it started getting spicy now because this is the first time show ended, I really didn't want to stop it.
Speaker 2: I wanted to go to the next episode because I was like, what's next.
Speaker 3: I thought you guys started talking about I think the last episode that it's starting to get serealized.
Speaker 2: The cliffhanger more cliff well, because Courtney, you keep bringing up how badly there was, how badly we were doing, and how low the ratings are. So I think the writers, you know, I mean, there are a lot jobs are on the line. They're the success of the shows on the line, so they kind of like we're ahead of the you know, trying throwing stuff at the stories to see what, would you know, tense things up, spice things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really did get it got more exciting. I was definitely yelling at the screen at myself, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get started. This one's episode fourteen. The title is drawing the line. We open at nighttime at Keith's beach house, which the cliffhanger from last episode was will she or won't she decided to end things with Keith. Allison had gone over to end it in the end of episode thirteen, and now it's nighttime. She's on the balcony pondering her complicated feelings when Keith comes out and she tells him she has never felt so comfortable and loved.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this scene, I remember the scene and I just double checked to make sure the director was an editor. And I'm not one of those actors who cries really easily, like some actors. They just go tears and they pour like I have to really work on it. I have to listen to a torri Amos sad song for you kids out there. Tori Amos was a singing star in the nineties and I have to listen to a sad song. So I in this opening scene cry all the time in this episode. Know how hard this episode was to me, But so I get it together and I cry and I get it and I'm like, oh my god, that you know, the tears starting, like, oh the party of your brain is in the scene party of rings, like, oh, thank god, the tears are coming. And the director came up to me and I was like, oh, thank god it he goes, he said, you know what and he holds up the script. He goes, it says you cry on this line.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Literally, I was like, oh my god, I need to back up right now as you can say now, I'm sure some people can do it, right Emma Thompson can probably cry on that Meryl Streep. I'm sure it can have which a tear from which I I'm not that actor.
Speaker 2: But also he was an editor, so he was an editor.
Speaker 3: I literally say this, yeah, it says you cry on this line. And I was relieved I wasn't connected to the scene because I was crying happy tears. It wasn't one of those where you go, oh, I know what this is and I have a direct experience I can connect to, so.
Speaker 2: I had to.
Speaker 3: I always had something completely fabricated in my mind to even get me there.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it's like, you know, it's not an acting as an art, not a science, and you know, to make it happen on a certain line is pretty tall order.
Speaker 3: And that's why I can't some people that answer you guys, are you guys like no criers?
Speaker 1: Not like cry on this line?
Speaker 2: No? Whoa I It depends on what you're going through. Like, yeah, there were years where I could like cry, I just turned on my mind. Was Cheryl Wheeler or uh, I don't know. Just some heartaching.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, But it's also hard with your crew standing by and the pressure and it's time and it might be lunch and whatever. There's a million.
Speaker 3: Also sometimes there's a lot of pressure to the scene. Right, I've been really connected to the scene where it literally does happen on a line because you're so connected. This wasn't that Like when I was rehearsing it on my own, I'm like, I got nothing. Yeah, no that's not I got nothing. So I have to really fabricate something.
Speaker 2: And then I watched an interview with Sally Field once and who I just love and loved her autobiography. But she was saying, how you know you use something in your own life that was very that's very sad, and you just go there and the whole point is that you really concentrate on it. She goes, but sometimes you know, just Grandma onto the tractor just doesn't work anymore. I'm all dry it up. You know, It's like, there does become a point where that memory just doesn't It's so.
Speaker 3: True, and you're going to access and you're like, healed.
Speaker 2: I gotta find another trauma if I gonna.
Speaker 1: Keep going, all right, So, speaking of trauma, Alison leaves Keith and now she's coming back home to the apartment early in the morning. Billy is awake and he's annoyed because he says he stayed up late waiting for her. And Ellison then tells Billy that Keith is leaving his wife for her, plus he's the best in bed. I know what you're thinking, she says to him, was that.
Speaker 3: As uncomfortable for all of you?
Speaker 2: That line she.
Speaker 1: Seemed very She was defending herself on a lot of levels, and Billy was rightfully annoyed.
Speaker 2: That was a weird line, don't you know anyway?
Speaker 1: Okay, go on, he's the best in bedding and I know what you're thinking, which she doesn't necessarily, and then she tells Billy that life and love don't come neatly packaged. She walks out of the room. Alison is, by the way, wearing a red sweater set.
Speaker 2: Here, I'm just saying, yeah, I'm I clocked that too, red sweater set. What's she going to do?
Speaker 1: And Billy points out that she sounds like a dysfunctional Hallmark card. She says, no, I'm in love and Keith is in love with me, so yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Very young, right, I'm in love and that's all that matters, and that is a anyway. I'm sure we all want to shake Alison at this point.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, we just it's going back and forth a law.
Speaker 1: Also, plus Billy is the voice of reason yeah in these and you know, and we're like, yeah, Billy, you're you're right, he's you know, this is a married man and whatever and you've only just met and like he's he's the voice of reason and love or not. He's also just making sense. So you're we're just rooting for Allison and Billy.
Speaker 2: I like the line where you're like, I know what you're thinking, I've said this before or whatever, and he's like, I'm actually still working on He's so great in bed.
Speaker 1: I'm like the processing that wordness, I mean, yeah, yeah, I know Andrew is adorable in this episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then the next scene there's a.
Speaker 2: I cannot see these story not lines without seeing you guys just going home and like being totally passionate or hilarious. I just can't not see it anymore.
Speaker 3: Corey hold and now awkward. You imagine how awkward that was for Billy Moses, Like now we were like out as a couple, we're completely a couple, and he's coming in, like, let me make out with you in front of your actual boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's confusing that Billy Moses, who's the actor who's playing Keith, is named Billy, and the character of Billy is played by Andrews. So like, even in my notes a couple of times I wrote Billy when I meant Keith, because it's just a million reasons to stage. So anyway, as the next scene is, there's a knock on Ronda's apartment door and it reveals and she is going to wear a red suit, we might add, and she's apparently there to see the apartment. She lays on the compliments to Ronda's good taste in decore and her great dancer body, and she tells Ronda, Wow, you really got it together here. She hads Ronda her resume and letters of references, listening to her responsible attributes and she's very particular, and she explains to Ronda that she's an organizing professional. And Ronda's like, Wow, you sound great and clean and you can move in right away.
Speaker 4: You sound amazing.
Speaker 3: And everyone in the world goes, oh, this is not Oh yeah, this is not going to end well.
Speaker 2: But you know, I thought it was really stretched. I don't know if you guys knew her back. I knew ray Don a little bit in the eighties and nineties, and you know, i've seen her more recently, and she's so full of life and so you know, joyful and open hearted, and I just thought I was wondering if this was a stretch for her to be, Like, she's like all those callers, and you know, she's a professional organizer, like from hell, and I just was.
Speaker 3: Well, that's before it was a thing, right, she was saying, I'm an organized a professional, I'm an OP and then Ronda says, o B And I thought that's before it was a thing like now someone says a professional organizer, you know what it is. But I was also thinking I will pull my covers a little bit. I was like, Oh, that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that, lazy Susan, that is a very good way to do your candidate. Really, you should say my pantry. It looked a little bit like that. I was like, oh, I have my spices alphabetized.
Speaker 2: I relate to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it looks like it's all going to be great between the two, and Ronda's maybe has a new roommate. So moving on, Matt is in a meeting with an attorney and he's telling her that he was fired for discrimination because he's gay.
Speaker 4: And the attorney warns Matt that the.
Speaker 1: Invasion of privacy and pursuing such a lawsuit is tough, but she's willing to take the case on contingency, and she will also need five thousand dollars for costs upfront, So like, if she's taking the case on contingency, she's going to do the work without the hourly and sort of postpone in her face.
Speaker 3: But just so you know, it's twelve thousand dollars today, right, So that just kind of because why he that's a five thousands a lot, but twelve thousand dollars is a lot, a lot, a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, sure enough his face falls at the mention of that needing to come up with that money.
Speaker 3: And we're a little worried because he came in. Doug came in so vulnerable, and I just thought, is she going to say no? I was relieved when she didn't say no, because there was a real concern. He played so well the resistance to saying happened, and I felt like in his playing, I heard the anticipation of her not taking him seriously. She did, but I think because if there was a cat well he played it.
Speaker 2: I was nervous with him that she wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we go from there to the courtyard where Michael is on a ladder. He's replacing some roof tiles, and again we see that very cloudy sky scrim up above the building. And while Billy helps and he fills in Michael and Jane about Alison being in love with Keith, who was apparently ending his marriage for her. Jane is appalled and she can't believe Alison would break up someone's marriage. She says it's so wrong, and Billy says Alison has changed.
Speaker 4: Michael tells Jane.
Speaker 1: Not to overdramatize, and when Jane calls Alison homewrecker, and Jane's like, well, I'm just calling it like I see it. Just call him like I see him, she says, and she walks away.
Speaker 3: I was so glad that we finally had this real conversation that I thought it was sweet in last episode when Jane was concerned about Alison, but I also I want her to be mad, so I like this felt really authentic to me.
Speaker 2: She calls you on it more than one yes, which I love.
Speaker 3: I think it's great that she's finally having this really authentic reaction because you know, especially once you're married, like when you're young and saying you don't quite understand what it means to break up a marriage, but once you're married, you really understand how sacred that bond is.
Speaker 1: Well, Michael, I mean, yeah, he's calling her. Michael, You're just being dramatic. Stop calling her a homewrecker and just like, yeah, that's kind of exactly what it is, you know, And he's doesn't see it that way.
Speaker 2: He said, he's laying the.
Speaker 3: I think it's fine to have affairs, no offense, it's fine.
Speaker 1: Oh you're so dramatic not being so dramatic about her being a homewrecker.
Speaker 2: Didn't you read Esquire it's a normal thing. Wife.
Speaker 1: So then we cut to an outdoor patio restaurant where Matt is a new employee. He's learning the ropes and wondering how much money he can make it his new job when he sees Jake at a table, who teases him about his work shirt, and Matt sort of rolls society and says, hey, it's a living though. He might actually consider heading up his parents for the legal fees at this rate, he says, And.
Speaker 2: He's workshirt saying bikini burgers on. Yeah, it's got kind of where he's working.
Speaker 3: And I love that Jake is in this scene, but I saw him like he's really underused. I know his storyline picks up, especially when you come in death, but I was like, he's really.
Speaker 2: Like used in these few episodes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's gearing up to come back, but I bet he was frustrated.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like also with an ensemble like this, what they tend to do is like story heavy a few like with his Mom and Sandy, like story heavy, and then like you know, Alison's story and Billy story heavy right now, and then someone else will be and that kind of like what you tend to do throughout the season. I mean, that's just what I was because I agree, And then I thought, well, he just had, you know, some strong episodes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, and he's coming in when you come in and hit they really he gets a lot to do.
Speaker 1: So here he's being Matt's number one supporter and he says, well, what's stopping you from asking your parents for the money, And Matt says, well, my parents don't always follow the no strings attached path and Jake asks if they know that he's gay. Mats says, yeah, they know, but let's just say it's seldom discussed. And then Matt's female coworker comes up to Matt and she sort of sides lept to him and calls him cutie and lets him know that he has a new table, and Jake sort of smiles and teases him and said, I think you've got an admirer.
Speaker 4: Very cute, And.
Speaker 1: Then we cut to the courtyard where it's pouring rain, dumping rain rain in California.
Speaker 3: Do you remember when they did rain in the set?
Speaker 2: They machines and the I don't remember that. I thought, that's so weird.
Speaker 3: They bring in the rain machines. It's a huge effect. It's hugely expensive and really dramatic, and bring in the rain action on rain.
Speaker 1: Very and it's all that episode for a few scenes.
Speaker 2: It's all that pressure too for the actor to get it right because it's a total reset. They have to dry everything, you know, because just to the fans, I've been asked this over the years. Was it a real courtyard? Was it outside? No, it's inside, and so all that was fake. Yeah, so, and I thought, I saw how opportune that Josie has to go check the mail in this thunderstorm, like.
Speaker 3: They were really going to use it. They had to set up they were really going to use it, but all outside.
Speaker 1: But you also know that that that scene where Josie had to go check the mail and she runs out through the rainy courtyard. We also you also shot Courtney's coming home in the rain and Keith running to the door in the rain, like all the scenes that take place in the rain. They're probably going to use the rain all on one day, like the machines there, and they're going to shoot all those exterior scenes back to back, like get those all done. Get the rain done, you know, so that they're non consecutive to the actors and everybody else, but just get it done for the sake of the machine and the cor Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then once you're inside, they just have a little tiny rain machine outside the window. So if you're seeing anysings, so then that's much easier once you're inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so pouring rain over the courtyard. Jane exits her apartment door and hurries across the courtyard to the mailboxes and then under the awning there in the vestibule, Alison is coming in from the street, and Jane sort of very dully congratulates Allison, saying, yeah, Billy told me the good news, and Alison notes that Jane does not sound very sincere and she wishes her friends would be happy for her, and Jane tries to go back to her apartment, but Alison asks her, no, tell me what you really think, and Jane says, I don't think you have considered enough of this and about the other people involved, And Alison thinks Jane has taken the relationship with Keith personally, is if she's the one who's losing a husband. Jane says, Alison is treating Keith's wife not as a person but as an obstacle in her own way, which.
Speaker 2: Is so true.
Speaker 3: And how does Alison not Alison so like dim witted in this scene she's blinded by her love's.
Speaker 2: Also, man, she does that whole guilt thing. Well, thanks for being a great friend. I mean, how supportive of you. It's really a gaslighting little moment for Allison, you know, like she says, because Jane doesn't want to tell her you remember that. So Jane's like, no, I don't want you know whatever, and she's like, no, I want to hear how you feel. And then she tells her on how she feels honestly, and then she's like, oh, well, thanks for she punishes her for that, and it's like such a kind of common thing that people do when they manipulate and they want to still, you know, not feel the pain of being making that choice.
Speaker 3: Well, also, it's a very addicty moment. Right, It's like she's in this love thing in us. They say new love is like cocaine in the brain. And someone saying, you know that you're not being realistic about this.
Speaker 2: You just don't want me to be happy. It's like so defensive. It's on you. They're putting it on you. Yes, so responsibility for that. And you asked someone to be honest if you don't want them to be honest, and don't ask them to be honest. I want you to honestly tell me what I want to hear. I want you honestly to tell me how.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was not ready to receive it because she's offended by it.
Speaker 4: She leaves.
Speaker 1: She exits the vestibule, saying sarcastically, thanks for being such a nice and supportive friend.
Speaker 2: And Jane then.
Speaker 1: Follows her out into the reading and says, I thought you wanted to be me to be honest, and Alison angrily tells Jane that Keith loves me. His leaving his wife makes Jane feel insecure about her own marriage, and Jane says, no, Alison, if you understood marriage, you'd know what comes around goes around. And I think he's going to leave you too, So that's how that scene is. So Alison enters her apartment. She's still reeling. She's so angry from this conversation, and Billy, who's warm and dry, suggests take out and she says, not tonight, I have plans, And she's angry, pissed and sarcastically says or he sarcastically says, ah, it must be love.
Speaker 2: Well because she plans to go back out. And my first thought is no, not, you live in la and it's pouring. You're not going anywhere because nobody drives.
Speaker 4: In La here.
Speaker 1: But she says, plants, I'm going back.
Speaker 2: Oh, I get to cancel because it's raining because there's a little bit of a drop. That's how we are in La. Oh, you have plants. She's going back out in that she's not pouring, but she's in love.
Speaker 1: The phone rings and it's Keith and he's telling Alison that he can't make it tonight.
Speaker 4: Something has come up.
Speaker 3: And it's so good because we see the silhouette of a woman behind him.
Speaker 1: Even more we see the actual woman moving about the room in the background.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's sweated, right, that's what I remember back there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Allison is disappointed, hangs at the phone, and she's in the next scene, she's at the window watching the rain, sad, while Billy is making some food and he is expressing his suspicions of Keith counseling, canceling, and Allison says, well, if you don't have something nice to say, just shut up. And then all of a sudden, Yeah, what's the old saying? Getos Yeah, all of a sudden, Keith appears at the door in the rain. He runs by the window, covering himself from the continuing down for it, and he appears at the door and he says that his wife has shown up and he's just not sure what she wanted. Well, she's your wife, so but anyway. He goes on to say that Lily says to him that she deserved another chance and the marriage can't end this way, and she broke into pieces, and Allison is, you know, inviting Keith in get out of the rain, and Keith is just telling her the story and he's acting like.
Speaker 4: He's the victim in this scenario.
Speaker 3: Si.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like she kicked me out of my own house. Uh yeah, can you believe? I mean, the two of you, and he says, you know, she'll probably just burn down, burn everything I own, and Alison is so sympathetic, going, I'm so sorry, baby, you poor baby, I know, says well, under the circumstances, I couldn't insist on staying, not that I wanted to, as if the real problem is that he's been kicked out of his house anyway, that's just me editorializing again, Okay. And then Alison says, no, you should, no, absolutely you should stay here, and Billy's in the background. He can hear all of this, and he's completely disgusted and annoyed.
Speaker 2: Especially Yes, I love that She's like, not only that you should stay here in my tiny apartment with yeah, Lily, but it's also and you're pouring and you're sopping wet. You can wear something, Billy will.
Speaker 1: Load, you can just you can just borrow some of Billy's clothes to wear.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And Keith is just very in time. It's like, all right, thanks, Billy, so clueless read the room. Oh my gosh, So this is this is the scene that I made that I was like yelling at the scene all the you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then as Keith is exited. Billy stops Alison and says, wait, we can't harbor a fugitive from a marriage. What if the children's wife shows up and kills us all in the night. And by the way, there's a third party that Alison, you haven't even considered. But Alison is super annoyed and says this is temporary, and then we she storms away and we see her in the bedroom as we.
Speaker 4: Can hear the shower in the background.
Speaker 1: We see her picking up all of Keith's discarded clothing, which he's carelessly dropped all over the floor on his way to the shower.
Speaker 3: Which is a red flag, but it's one of so many red flags.
Speaker 2: That we don't even know many. I don't even notice him anymore, Like everything's red. They're in a red room. Whenever he's round, it's just red.
Speaker 1: So and she takes this moment to notice that his wallet is there, and she takes a beat to snoop inside it and examine a picture of Keith and his wife that he keeps in.
Speaker 2: His wallet, and it looks like they're on their honeymoon. Right, She's got on.
Speaker 4: A Hawaiian Yeah, some Hawaiian vacation.
Speaker 2: Hawaiian vacation.
Speaker 1: So then Keith comes out of the shower. It doesn't appear that he catches her looking at the wallet, but he's in his towel and Allison goes to him and they kiss, and the minor music that likes kind of like it's all in a minder key in the background music which has been playing under the scene, it magically turns to major as.
Speaker 4: His towel drops to the floor.
Speaker 1: It literally makes like the magic sound of and it like resolves in this like magic court and.
Speaker 4: They make out.
Speaker 2: That's weird, they do.
Speaker 1: They make out, well, well, it goes the shot is on their feet because he's dropped his towel and it's off of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that is now at dinner at his parents' home, where he's asking to borrow the five thousand dollars that he needs, and when he tells them that it's for a loss suit after being fired for being gay, Matt's father says, well, I'm not surprised because of the lifestyle you have chosen.
Speaker 3: Matt tells him, yeah, and did you notice that fancy like fancy that dining room is like it was a great way to just sort of establish that he comes from a wealthy family, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, did you feel like the dining room setting was very similar to like the Billy's when he when Billy went home, and it was like kind of a formal dining room and there's like one parent one end and one parent at the other.
Speaker 2: Was it the same all these rich parents are letting their kids live in the West Hollywood cool apartment.
Speaker 3: Billy's parents that aren't wealthy, right, they have a friend.
Speaker 1: But I just felt like the dining room setting and like that environment was very similar, like this is how it goes, like this is the family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was good. They said a lot in that short scene, like the part you just mentioned Laura about He says, you know, he's worried when you chose this lifestyle and it's not a choice, you don't choose it, which is a good way to just sort of.
Speaker 2: Make that point. This isn't I like how they.
Speaker 3: They pepper his scenes with these things, right, They didn't have to hit the nail on the head. It's a part of the scene, but it makes the most important point.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: His father in this scene also says, Matt, I don't think you've considered the negative publicity from a lawsuit.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 1: Matt is saying, well, I think it's worth it, and I'll take that chance, but his father says he.
Speaker 4: Can't take that chance.
Speaker 1: Yes, and Matt realizes he's not going to have the support of his parents, and he gets up from the table.
Speaker 4: He kisses his mother and he leaves.
Speaker 2: Having not been in this situation, you just really I mean, I've heard over the years and my friends have talked about it, but how hard it is. This isn't a coming out scene. But then what comes after that, you know, even if you come out to your parents and your family finally, which I know at least in that day and earlier, it was very hard, if not impossible, but then to get kind of like conditional support, conditional love. I mean, but for him, you just feel like, I think this really emphasizes how difficult it is like for him to assume he's making this life lifestyle choice, for him to assume that you know, just who he is, I'm not fully supportive. It just makes you really empathize with him. You know, we don't have that problem.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the thing when you when you project this thing of it's a consequence of the choice you made.
Speaker 2: It's not a choice, as if if you'd made a different choice, you wouldn't be dealing with this. No, because this is who he is.
Speaker 1: And Matt says it as if he's had to say that a million times before.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly right. And the choice do you think I would choose this?
Speaker 1: Like it's ard I've said it before, but I'm going to say it again.
Speaker 4: It's not a choice, Dad. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then we're back at stormy Melrose Place. Alison is waking up naked with Keith also naked beside her in bed, and we quickly realize she is dreaming because a third person is sitting on the bed next to her, wearing a Hawaiian lay.
Speaker 2: Actually, we don't realize she's dreaming quite yet.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, well we're hoping because that's freaking weird. It looks up there's a third person in there. Yeah, and yep, it's the white And here's where it cans even more weird. The White Lily describes she starts describing the breakdown of her marriage to Keith, and she says, it's all because of you, Allison.
Speaker 4: You're responsible, you and you alone, and.
Speaker 3: When she gives her some information that's interesting about I was just working.
Speaker 2: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: Like it's very it doesn't feel it sort of dream exaggerated things that happened in dreams. It's like she's giving her the facts of what it's like.
Speaker 1: It feels a very knowledgeable dream.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Yeah. And then well I also the take there is a really beat a second that I really love Courtney when she goes, oh, and you make him laugh. You have a sense of humor in this, and and then there's a shot off Alison. She's like, well, it is her own dream, like you know, the wife complimenting her hilarious and she heard a little bit of what she needed to hear.
Speaker 3: Dream I love it true.
Speaker 1: But she she wakes up with a flash of lightning. She wakes up horrified, and Keith, of course, is sleeping soundly next to her. So then in the morning, Ronda is in her kitchen. She's looking through her beautifully organized cabinets, though she can't seem to find her own vitamins because Carrie seems to have moved them, and she soon learns that Carrie has alphabetized the kitchen pantry items and oh, by the way, purchased a new kitchen caddy, which she demonstrates.
Speaker 4: To her much like Van of Whitewood. And it goes like this, and it's.
Speaker 3: Very funny because she's saying, like the new model is better, this is last year's model.
Speaker 2: Specific it's just.
Speaker 1: A lot for a plastic kitchen caddy. And Ronda is not so sure.
Speaker 2: Partey, I'm waiting for you to say, well, duh, I appetize my kitchen doesn't.
Speaker 3: Ever I realized no, I realized I jumped the gun because I said that in the first thing. And this is the scene where you see it. But I'm thinking, just say thank you.
Speaker 1: So in Billy and Allison's apartment, Keith enters the room an overalls wearing. Billy comments to Alison, all looks like with no shirt.
Speaker 2: Underneath, with no shirt but if over to kind of cover the bare arms.
Speaker 3: Thing like Andrew never cared. He's like with a israella. He put it on, he went and did his job. He never had any opinion, he didn't care.
Speaker 2: It was a weird thing. Did guys wear with no shirt on underneath?
Speaker 1: And then I have a feeling. I think it's seem like sometimes you come out in wardrobe and they're like yeah, no, this one's not working. So they quickly make an adjustment, like maybe the whole wardrobe choice was the overalls with no sh and then that the flannel over it was an afterthought like yeah, this doesn't look good.
Speaker 4: Oh just throw a shirt on.
Speaker 1: Over, you know, like that was the fix, and it just was one more weird thing. It was weird, it was weird, got weirder. But he's commenting to Alison, looks like somebody didn't get enough to sleep last night, and Allison can't seem to stop smiling just thinking about it. And then when Keith enters kissing Allison and acting like Billy is the one infringing on his space, he says to Alison, you know, Allison, we just need to get away from it all, and throws a glance at Billy like meaning this guy from.
Speaker 3: And that's where they say, what do you need and Billy goes thicker walls.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, like some more comments about them having and then so right in front of Billy, Keith and Allison make a plan to go on a camping getaway, and Keith leaves the apartment and Billy reminds Alison, you don't even like camping, but he very magnanimously says, you know, but I'm happy for you, Allison. Then Alison tells Billy about her dream and she admits that the dream made her feel guilty and she feels like she has to see Keith's wife in person, and Billy doesn't think that's such a great idea, but off she goes to do that.
Speaker 3: It actually is good. How they bit by bit by bit show Alison coming to the realization late, but she's coming to it that this is a real person. Yeah, at his ex wife. And I think Jane said it at one point. You know, she's not just an obstacle, She's a person. I think it's finally connecting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Alice, and it's it's really entered her conscience too, at her subconscience standard she's dreaming about it, and now she's like, nope, I gotta yeah.
Speaker 3: Because the dream wife was so nice and complimentary. Really yeah, yeah, So she goes and sees her off.
Speaker 1: She goes, but so we see her in a steakout, like literally outside the house in her car like a steak out, and she's watching as Lily in a bathroom is picking up her newspaper outside and Lily turns and notices this car and this woman inside watching from the car, and.
Speaker 3: She, Lily in her silk slipper, towered her silk like lady, she walks straight at her.
Speaker 2: The sorry, the the She had a floral silk, kind of very feminine womanly bath robe compared to Alison's big, fluffy, light blue one with the moon in the back.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, but it looked like what my grandma wore, sort of formal slippers, Like they're not at least slinky, toady, flinty toad white silk slippers did not look comfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Is it meant to garner like sort of sympathy for like, oh, this nice lady, This must be a nice lady who wears a robe and slippers.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It seems strangely old to me. Maybe she's the grown up one and I'm the little girl. But I know this is about Alison coming to the realization and stalking and everything. But I noticed, is my hair looks good? That's what I noticed.
Speaker 2: Something. You know what I noticed? I noticed your eyeline. You're not even hiding, You're like right there in front of her. And I'm like, if you're gonna spy on someone, pull back and behind a bush, maybe, but you're just why she looks right at you, and you're like, I thought I was.
Speaker 3: Going to go talk to her and then I chickened out. Yeah, but I do feel like this is the episode where I stopped scrunching my hair and started brushing it out while I was drawing it.
Speaker 2: So that's what this episode's about to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your hair, because I'm very deep.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, no, those things matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see the wife, your hair better look good.
Speaker 3: That's a good play.
Speaker 2: She do want to look good for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even if you're not, if you're gonna chicken out and drive away, exactly.
Speaker 4: I think a lady with very.
Speaker 1: Nice hair came to look at me today in the driveway. So Allison and Jane now next are in the laundry room. Jane is obviously still not feeling very warm and fuzzy towards Alison, and Allison says, Jane, what is your problem? And Jane says, you know, I just can't pretend to like what you're doing Allison, and Allison says, and she says Alison should have bailed the second she found out that Keith was married. She says, the toughest thing in a marriage is keeping a commitment. It doesn't look like Keith can do that, and Jane says, however, our friendship is important to me, and I'm just worried that you're gonna get hurt.
Speaker 3: I also, I don't think that's accurate. The toughest thing in a marriage is keeping the commitment, right, Like, there are either one thing about a marriage.
Speaker 2: But what I noticed in this scene was because I'm really interested into this friend dynamic, was you know, Jane says how she's feeling, and then Alison says, well, who asked you? I'm like, you did dummy asking her? I'm asking her. Yes, It's like, it's just so interesting. We do that with our our friends, you know what we really want to hear.
Speaker 3: Think, Well, it's that thing of I love that you're bringing this up, Jephney. It's it's your job is to support me. It's like, not when I know you're making a mistake, right, It's the same thing I was talking about about the addicts, right, Like, I'm worried about your drinking.
Speaker 2: How dare you?
Speaker 3: Instead of hearing that someone's worried and they're saying I'm worried about this relationship for you.
Speaker 2: You're going to get hurt.
Speaker 3: Also, I disagree with what you're doing.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's morally right.
Speaker 3: And then at the end of the scene, Allison's going camping and Jaying goes leave your merit badges at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, constantly line.
Speaker 1: Pointing out like this is. Yeah, it's not the most upstanding thing you've ever done. And I love you and I still care about you. I just think you were making lots of mistakes and I don't want to see you get hurt. So I also like that she ends this scene by saying, I just don't want to see you get.
Speaker 4: Hurt, and I do care about this friendship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that's why I'm telling you this, and sorry it hurts.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also, we shouldn't support our friends no matter what, if they do something that we really think is a mistake or morally reprehensible, or or.
Speaker 2: Even lushit reprehend the truth.
Speaker 3: You don't have to withdraw your love, but it's important to be able to be authentic and say I don't agree with what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Right, I agree with what you're saying Courtney about friend It's not agreed, that's why you're a friend.
Speaker 1: We're back to the lawyer's office where Matt is coming in and he's got a piece paper he's handing over the pink slip to his car to the attorney is collateral, and Matt is telling the attorney passionately and vehemently, I know that it's not the five thousand dollars you ask for, but I desperately want to pursue this case so that the next gay person that comes along doesn't lose their job and have the same experience.
Speaker 4: I really want this to stop here.
Speaker 1: And the lawyer, whose name is apparently Sarah, is very moved by his passion, and she says, you know what, Matt Keith the pink slip, you're going to need it. I'm going to take this case, and Matt, you're going to need to dig in and get involved, and she says she'll get the firm to do it pro bono. She's very motivated to help him, and also she reveals that she's motivated to make a name for herself, since she says this is likely to stir up a lot of publicity, at which time Matt says, well, I'm not interested in the publicity, and she says, well, it goes with the territory, and Matt looks a little bit sick to a stomach. It's kind of what his dad was commenting on and she's now saying it too, so he's realizing maybe what he's in for, and you know, a little bit of dread. And now we're cut to Ronda, who's coming home from work. She's finding plastic runners all over the carpets throughout her apartment, and not only that that weirdness, but she finds her own closet empty, filled with empty hangers. Carrie appears explaining with a smile that all of Ronda's clothes are at the very best Beverly Hill Strike cleaner, and her shoes all have deodorizeds in them. Super weird, but she's super pleased with herself about it. And Ronda is exactly the opposite of pleased, and she tells Carrie that you do not need to be so tidy with my things, and eza, babe, Carrie says, I was just trying to be helpful. And it's a very sort of passive, aggressive and loaded exchange between these two. Carrie says, I understand when to stop, and Ronda says, good.
Speaker 3: This reminds me of we used to sing the soul remember that song from Free to You and Me. Some kind of help is the kind of help that helping we all could do with all, But some kind of help is the kind of help we all could do without. Yep, people who are overly helpful? What's that great saying? Unasked for advice is always criticism, which is sounds.
Speaker 2: Like a code of an anonymous meeting, which I should be in code of. Like all I do is I just I get. I'm like, God, if she'd only listen to me, her whole life would be fixed. No, God, if he would just do this in fact, I just say it. And it's like, then I think of that thing that there's a saying like, only give advice when it's asked for, And I'm like, unsolicited advice, that's what it? Solicited advice? Yeah, I think just if you see someone that could do better, let him know how.
Speaker 3: Well you know it's a better way to do it, which might be a middle ground for you. Sweet you can say would you like to hear what I think? Okay, but then there's a fifty to fifty But then if they say no, you can't say okay.
Speaker 2: Point taken. So here's my point. I feel. Yeah, that's the hard part.
Speaker 3: That's the hard part. But this is boundaries. This is very advanced. We weren't even talking about boundaries then. Yeah, but ahead of its time again Melroy's Place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ahead of its time.
Speaker 1: But the dynamic between Carrie and Ronda is starting to deteriorate, and it's surprising to all of us. Yeah, And then we cut to Keith and Allison on their camping trip. There around the campfire, and Keith is talking about their future together, starting with Alison needs to move out of her apartment complex, get away from this Billy the kid.
Speaker 2: He's just a kid.
Speaker 4: He's just a kid.
Speaker 1: And Keith says they should move in together once this business with his wife is settled. And I have shatted something at this moment, and then Alison is then she.
Speaker 4: Asks him, well, how did you and Lily meet?
Speaker 1: And she learns that they had met in high school they've been together since then, but that he was feeling stifled by the stability and he has now found happiness with Allison.
Speaker 3: It's like and Alison better not get stable Keith.
Speaker 1: Keith says it will be tough, though, to tell his own parents, since.
Speaker 4: They are very role model perfect parents.
Speaker 1: They've been together, married for forty years. And when he asks Alison about her parents, she says her parents were ordinary, her problems never stemmed from too much stability.
Speaker 4: I thought that was a very interesting answer.
Speaker 1: Keith wants to know more about that. Allison says she doesn't really want to bore him with the details. We can tell there's way more under their stuff that she's keeping from him, and she doesn't want to talk about it. And when Keith suggests the midnight hike, Allison says maybe later.
Speaker 4: She was very lost in thought.
Speaker 2: Who wants to get out of her? Who wants to go for midnight hike? Has anyone heard of that?
Speaker 1: I mean he said it would be romantic, and didn't he say it would also be harry?
Speaker 3: So, out of all we know about Keith, daphneys this is the thing that really bothers you about him.
Speaker 2: She's like, this is.
Speaker 3: Where I drop a lot?
Speaker 2: Are you an idiot? Read the room? I'm cozy, I have a mug of coffee and hot chocolate, which you idiot? I'm out a little fair thing.
Speaker 1: It's so stupid. But wait, there's more, because in the morning, Keith comes, and the hunter gatherer that he is, he comes and he brings Alison a fresh trout for breakfast, and she's very nice.
Speaker 3: Who doesn't want a fresh trout out of the midnight hike?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this guy's starting to look like bad news.
Speaker 1: Not only is she uncomfortable with the idea of eating trout for breakfast, but she looks also very uncomfortable when he touches her and she sort of moves away, and she says she doesn't feel well, telling Keith that she thinks she should just go home. Keith is very confused, but he agrees to take her home. So she's obviously spent a very bad night thinking about all this and having serious second thoughts. So then we're in Ronda's apartment where she's making a very elaborate breakfast. Carrie enters, saying, oh, smells delicious. Ronda tells her sit down, relax and enjoy. Don't lift a finger.
Speaker 4: I got this.
Speaker 1: Carrie notices immediately that Ronda has used one of her super special pants cooking pants.
Speaker 3: Copper pants, and those of you at home who know what copper pans are.
Speaker 1: Very super special, and she pops right up to get it soaking. Ronda stops her very firmly and tells her sit back down.
Speaker 2: I got this, I will clean it.
Speaker 1: And so for the rest of the scene, Carrie can hardly restrain herself from jumping up and cleaning her pant.
Speaker 2: There's this wonderful shot to emphasize it that it's in the foreground. This pan is on the island in the foreground, and you see Carrie.
Speaker 1: Him back, just staring at it, can't stop looking at this pant.
Speaker 2: Clean this.
Speaker 1: I thought she was brilliant in this scene. I mean, the character is ridiculous and obnoxious and dopey and whatever, but she totally dove in and I thought was so funny on the connection she had with like, I have to clean that parent round like she could. She couldn't stop herself from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Vanessa and ray Dawn played against each other so well. This was and it was really this was well done because of this very intense storyline with Keith wants to take Alison on a midnight hike god forbid, and these two women. It was such good comic relief, so funny, You're whole funny together.
Speaker 1: So good and and Carrie's trying to like distract herself by babbling on about oh, you know, I wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize our relationship. Wow, good roommates are so hard to find. But she's like manic and she can't stop looking at her beloved pan.
Speaker 3: I got to say, I feel that way every time Jack takes out a metal spatula with my nonstick cookwear, like no, well.
Speaker 1: That's yeah kind of critical, or like cutting anything but fabric with my fabric scissors, don't.
Speaker 3: Do it, just telling you right now only fabric people.
Speaker 2: Well, are you guys? So I'm of the philosophy of clean as you go when you cook dinner. Her husband isn't. He's changed, he's adounded. But some people are like, no, I'm going to cook now, clean after we eat, and I it's like no, because then we have a whole sink full of dishes dirty to do after I enjoy dinner. Or are you with this? Guys?
Speaker 3: Do you clean as you cook or do you just cook?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 3: I do, but if there's a lot of stuff happening, then just the cooking is the most important thing. So you get everything done and ready and everything done at the same time, like at a big dinner party last week and.
Speaker 2: Were you were you there, Laura, I wasn't there. I must have lost that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been inviting years.
Speaker 2: I won't even hear it.
Speaker 3: I've been trying to get you guys here. I wish you were here.
Speaker 1: You keep saying you've been inviting us for thirty Look back through my inbox.
Speaker 3: I'm getting I yes, I may not have actual dates, and we are going to do it. And then you guys don't judge me for not cleaning as they go because at the end, the most important thing is getting everything out at the same time. So I won't stop to clean something if I'm getting everything out at the same time, because that's.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll be in the kitchen and cleaning right behind you. Will Will you invite me then if I clean?
Speaker 1: I also think one of the unspoken rules is like if if you cooked it, other people should be helping you clean it. Like whether it happens during or.
Speaker 2: After, that's just the rules. But yeah, well, you guys cook for kids and family and stuff.
Speaker 1: I mean, and apparently Courtney cooks for many people at her dinner parties that we have, the parties that we don't go to but I will bring my wooden utensils if you invite me the next time.
Speaker 3: All Right, I'm taking that.
Speaker 2: I'm taking that. We'll stop guilting her.
Speaker 3: I've been trying to get everybody together. But maybe that's silly. That's I should learn my lesson.
Speaker 2: That's impossible. Well, who are your real friends? Who's here? You guys?
Speaker 3: Obviously that's it.
Speaker 2: It's done. Get ready to carry all right.
Speaker 1: So Billy is at home and he's writing when Alison returns home from a camping trip and the rain has stopped by the way, and she wonders aloud, what is wrong with me? I'm She's so confused, she says, because now her relationship with Keith just feels so wrong, and Billy thinks Alison falls in love with people who are unattainable, then loses interest in them when she gets what she wants. Allison says, that's not it, and she doesn't believe that that's it, and then she reveals to Billy the backstory with her parents that she was unwilling to share with Keith.
Speaker 2: She tells me, I liked how Billy. Sorry to interrupt, but I really liked this scene. I watched this episode twice and because I'm a good be plus student, but I really liked how he I think Andrew was a good listener. It's hard to listen in scenes. I think he was a good listener in this scene as an actor because you had most of the dialogue and very sort of really revealing stuff as Alison. But I also like how he's your you know, they have a lot of banter and a lot of like this, but he listened. You really open up to him in this, you know, and you're about what Laura will tell us, what you say. But I just really liked the scene. It was a very solid kind of scene that would move the relationship forward, not.
Speaker 1: Just a banter thing.
Speaker 3: It's the first time Alison talks about her parents' relationships and she says that her father cheated on her mother, and it's it's it's just took forever to get here. But this is when I was yelling at this girl. It was like, finally she finally is able to put herself in her mother's shoes.
Speaker 2: And feel realized that, yeah, it realizes that you're the other woman and what you're revealing is that your father had affairs with these other women. And what I love about it is that you say, as a little girl, you always like idolized and fantasized and projected onto these women because they got all of his attention. So classic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was such a good, pretty deep for Melrose, right like they really it was really I really like this scene too, and I agree.
Speaker 2: I thought it was.
Speaker 3: Andrew did a great job and the connection got deeper.
Speaker 1: It was very very grounded and a very supportive and good listener everything he said, yes, And that's that's when she reveals that to him. She realizes that she is the other woman and she doesn't like what she sees. Then she goes to the beach house. She is arriving to tell Keith that she wants to end it. She's arriving to say, Keith, we need to talk and I can't see you anymore. And then she says, I need to feel right about myself. Keith says, because he's a selfish idiot, that he shouldn't have told her he was leaving his wife. Alison says, that's not it, that being your mistress wouldn't have been any better, and that although being with Keith scares her, being without him scares her even more, and Keith against says, well, what about me? Basically, you know, because if we break up, I'm not going back to Lily, And Allison says it's your business and goodbye, and she starts to walk away, at which time Keith grabs her arm very hard and living room and it hurts and it's firm, and she he calls her selfish and he yells at her that if you can't make it work with me, you're not going to be with be able to make it work with anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a real clue to what's coming right right, like he snaps, and rich, by the way, just taking a poll among you ladies, how many times have you broken up with somebody and they've said something that.
Speaker 3: I was like, I've been in that moment, like where someone said good luck finding someone better than me, and like I feel pread about it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I think odds are pretty good here for Allison that she's gonna yeah, because angry womanizing narciss sister are not you know, the easiest people to live with. So yeah, I think she's gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She manages to free her arm, and she says, well, at least I'll be a to live with myself. And she's able to leave, escaping him, and I'm screaming, please run, Allison.
Speaker 3: I was just like, finally I did feel this moment of victory for her.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, well that was hard one.
Speaker 1: But she said all the things to say, yeah, yes, I got it. She's yeah, and we're just so relieved for her that she's getting herself exactly. Then we see Ronda. She's napping on her couch and she wakes up to Carrie holding her copper pant directly in front of Randa's face, and Carrie angrily is showing her a spot that she missed cleaning the pan. There's some egg on here, and Ronna calls Carrie a nut, and Carrie then calls Rnda a slob, and Ronda says, Carrie, this is not working out and you need to find another place.
Speaker 3: To live, which is kind of a bummer because they're so funny.
Speaker 1: Together, such a funny dynamics.
Speaker 3: Too bad this couldn't have been more of an ARC because really, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well she may come back, wants to come back.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to tune in and find out.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: Just like your arm grabby married man might come. He might just stops on people and doesn't mean it's over.
Speaker 1: But here we are at the final scene of this episode where Allison is crossing the courtyard.
Speaker 4: She's entering her apartment, and.
Speaker 1: She tells Billy, who's yet again there on the couch, that he should fire up the hot chocolate because leaving Keith was the hardest thing she's ever done. And here again he's super genuine and grounded and sympathetic and he Allison begins to cry and Billy comes and he holds her at the door while she cries, and the episode ends on them.
Speaker 3: That was very sweet.
Speaker 2: I like that ending and it was just a sweet hug at the end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very good, really loving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's episode fourteen, People, Episode fourteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, things are really kicking up. It's really fun.
Speaker 1: They are.
Speaker 4: We have we have a couple of fan questions.
Speaker 2: Well, they just asked for pictures. We didn't have cell phones back then, so it would have to mean like find something from the company, or when someone came on to do interviews, there might be some video. You know, I know MTV a lot of people have come on to interview us, but it's not like you could just whip out. I do have some of us set.
Speaker 3: I remember taking pictures on set. I remember bringing pictures of my dogs, shocking, I know to all who know me. I remember bringing pictures of my dogs to show people on set, polaroids. I remember carrying polars around making you all look at my dog pictures, which all that has not changed, different dogs, but I'm still trying to make I.
Speaker 2: Do have one a couple of behind the scenes it's not of an episode that doesn't happen for another I don't know three yeah fo years.
Speaker 1: I have very few and far between actual photographs because there were no cell phone cameras at the time, it wasn't as easy to have them. But the ones that I have are for much later episodes than we will definitely share them when it's.
Speaker 4: Kind of closer to the lasts. Yeah, and we we liked.
Speaker 1: And some of the you know, some of the magazine shoots and stuff, those are our kind of our behind the scenes too, because that was going on on the side or on the weekends for us while we were shooting. One other little sort of statistic is that the credits in episode fourteen were the shortest they will ever be, with only seven regular characters names mentioned, right, right, because one short Now that Sandy's character has left and we're.
Speaker 3: Not the first. Daphne starts next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, But do you guys notice how long.
Speaker 3: The credits are because there was more time, Like now, you don't even have credits. They show the title of the show and you go into it. Yeah, it was really The credits were probably thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: And they were great.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're watching this. I'm watching this every week a couple of times, and it always says skip intro and I'm like, no, I don't want to. I love that open on the show. Yeah, the song is great, and I love that Sean's kind of grainy of Melrose.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to see yours because they must have tried to match the feel of the other one. I guess you probably will turn into camera. I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah they did that. I do remember. I know there's one of me walking with you guys, so I think that we at some point did some of us walking.
Speaker 3: Yes, so you came on as a regular, yes, right, a regular? And then Laura when you came on, did you come on as a guest star and then they expanded it to regular or did you know.
Speaker 1: You're right, I came on as a guest star. So that's that brings up an interesting point. And I love that the fan who brought this statistic to our attention noticed this, and I know that fans also noticed through the course of the seasons when the Amanda character was Heather was credited as a special guest star, not as not in the same sort of yes to your question, Sidney came in as a guest only, and so I was not credited in the opening credits until I can't remember if it's sometime in season two, and then they folded me in and they didn't do like the walking and whatever. I think they just stole shots, turning scenes, turning over whatever like, and then they just folded it in and built new credit sequences because don't you remember, like in the later seasons, we didn't shoot credit sequences they and that all just.
Speaker 2: I think is contract related. So what you're talking about is contract related. You know you have said, and also Marcia has said that you guys came in as arcs, so they didn't have you as regular and they didn't to expand it, they would add you later, but it's a it's a contract thing to say. And you know, like I've had in my contract either alphabetical, which I think the show is, and then Meloy's places, and then and as is. You know, it's every job in your career, every job is. It's what the lawyers work out and the agents work out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then the standpoint I had to pick it had there got to be whatever she wanted to. If he was you're still a guest star, it's because that's what she wanted to, because she had her own card at the end. It was special guest Star, and she picked it because she's a super smart business woman.
Speaker 1: And the fan pointed out that, yeah, that you get at some point in later seasons they had as many as thirteen regular characters upfront. So this is the fewest in episode fourteen season one with only seven, and there was as many as thirteen down the line.
Speaker 3: I hope thank doing this when we do season six and seven that we weren't in, because then we'll really.
Speaker 2: Be who are these people? So many away?
Speaker 3: Come explain it to us what happened.
Speaker 2: We're gonna constantly have all these guests on, but uh, I mean most shows this these days are so fewer episodes, like we have thirty a.
Speaker 3: Year, right, and so more than thirty busy at least thirty two or thirty four, thirty two.
Speaker 2: Something like that, thirty two, thirty four, so like do the whole lucky.
Speaker 1: It's so many that we don't win. No, yeah, we don't even know. All right, well, we're very right to have gotten all the way to episode fifteen, which is our next weekap and that will be our next episode of Still the Place.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to download and come to really come and watch and listen to the podcast it's and watch the show if you can, especially next week, because I come to.
Speaker 3: Know what people keep telling to me, which is true. They keep saying it just sounds like you guys are having fun. We're genuinely having funs because.
Speaker 2: We will see you guys next week. I'll be on the hot seat and have to watch myself, and I'm sure I'm gonna have a lot of chrism because i haven't seen it yet.
Speaker 1: So but remember you're coming next week, but then you're here to stay. It's not like you're you know, we get to have you every week.
Speaker 2: Now, I know but it's like Forty's been saying, like, I'm just gonna see all. My voice is so high and the criticisn't coming to do it, so we'll see you might or you might say, wow, I nailed it.
Speaker 1: We'll step all so well, We will see you all next week.
Speaker 2: Here on still the bye everyone, guys.
Speaker 1: By