Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal coll that for me, I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well I want to be happy. You want to be happy for Dake Edith State. Is that woo woom?
Speaker 2: And then and Tye, welcome back to the solid purple boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrandon joining me as always still over there in sunny southern California, the one and only Dan Rubens, Sir, hey doing ty If it were up to me, you would even just drop the still and that was it would just be a lifestyle I were leading out here in southern California if it were up to me. But as as you and I know, without getting into detail, that's not life isn't necessarily up to you and me?
Speaker 1: Is at it? That is factually correct? Yes, So yes, I am still out in southern California, and I am excited to do a Q and a show with you. We haven't done this in far too long, and the wave, the magnitude of questions that came in about both college football and non college football topics, I think reflects that. I think it does.
Speaker 2: We actually had somebody ask for this sound just as like a proof of life to make sure we're doing okay.
Speaker 1: We are. Thank you for tuning back in.
Speaker 2: If you don't follow us out there on social media Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, all those hotspots, please do so. We'll be posting our updates in our latest show content out there. There's also a subreddit at solidverbal dot reddit dot com where you can join the conversation along with other verballers who like the show, and I would urge once more if you don't already follow along on our newsletter going out to solidverbal dot com our website. There's a big sign up form right under the main area where you can give us your email address. We're not going to spam you, but a little tip off here if I could dan that's not quite breaking news. But oh play it ty, I just miss I'm going to play it. To play it in a few seconds, Okay, I don't want to. I don't want to spoil it.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: I will be sending out sort of a state of the verbal message in the next couple days. Yes, state of the verbal let folks know what's going on. As we talked about in a previous show, we've had some some news in our front so we've got some just updates that we'd like to share with the verbaler hood at large, and we'll be doing so via our newsletter.
Speaker 1: First, that would be a great idea to sign up for the newsletter of intent. You can do so at solidverbal dot com. It's pretty straightforward, as from my understanding. Yes, very okay, great, love it.
Speaker 2: After you give us your email, it's going to send you a confirmation email just to make sure that this is something you really want to do.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: And then after you confirm, then you start getting everything.
Speaker 1: Great, all right, I love it. Let's get to our news. I'm not going to yell the breaking news thing. Yeah, it feels like a weird time to do that.
Speaker 2: We spoke before going on air today because it's been an incredibly heartbreaking week here in the United States, and frankly, we wondered whether we should even record. I understand if you don't want to listen to us babble about college football right now, believe me, I get it. You've got more important things on your mind. Feel free to tune out. But in case you need some levity, and on the off chance Dan and I can provide it, we are here today. We thought we'd do our best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm trying to get in the habit of just speaking for me and we speak obviously. We know we have a lot of listeners, and we have college football fans from all sorts of backgrounds, and there's diversity in our audience. I know we've been to our shows. It would be nice if it were a little bit more diverse, but we've got this amazing, smart, enthusiastic crowd of people who listen to the show. So in the interest of just speaking for me, it's not a political thing. It's a people thing. And as the issues of race and culture and policing and everything that comes with it are brought under a bright spotlight, I just I want to point out that I'm dumb, Tie, and this is something that we are, I think enthusiastic about pointing out. We did it when we were talking about whether there was going to be a season and what that was going to look like. I think it's important that you and I I'm just again speaking for me. I'm dumb. I'm an expert on my life and my experiences and a little bit of college football, some food, global tomatoes, Tie, you know what I'm talking about now? But I try to live my life tapping into empathy and humanity as often as possible. But I know I have to do a better job of bringing that front and center. You know, we do all these you know, we were involved in production. There's the term background tasks, right when things are rendering, when I feel like I need to bring those those background tasks forward a lot more in my not just now, not just as things are under the spotlight, but just as a person in general. So as I speak for myself, if anybody can relate to that thought of the humanity and empathy needing to come forward a little bit more or a lot bit more, I hope it rings true. I hope it rings true and is something that we can all work on. And on that note, Tie, let's be silly about college football because we have the privilege to do so. I think that's right, and I think that's all said. I appreciate you saying that. I'm sure that folks out there do as well. With that being said, I will lead into something of another unfortunate story. News broke yesterday that Justin Ross, the top receiver presumed top receiver for the Clemson Tigers, would be missing all of twenty twenty and beyond with a spinal issue. So as it goes, he suffered what they thought was a stinger amid spring practice. It soon was determined that it's actually a congenital condition yep, and he is going to miss the twenty twenty season. Dablos Sweeney talked a little bit about this. He said doctors are somewhat optimistic that at some point in time after surgery he may be able to resume football activities, which would be great, But admittedly, he said he's not aware of any other players who faced a similar condition who were able to return. So it doesn't mean it won't happen for mister Ross, but it also wasn't super encouraging either. We're just going to have to keep our fingers crossed here.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 1: A horrible break for Justin Ross. Yeah, first and foremost, you know, you hope that he's able to recover and get to a physical place where he's not just comfortable but also able to play football, presumably a sport he loves. So yeah, that's first and foremost. Second of all, Clemson's fine. Clemson is exactly be fine. In terms of wide receiver tight end. They've recruited the position well. I imagine Amari Rodgers will show or a bigger load. Now he certainly wasn't himself as he came back from his own ACL injury, or at least fully himself. And they've recruited well there, and they happen to have one of the best one or two quarterbacks in the country. So I'm not saying don't shed a tear or anything like that for Clemson, but they are in a a fortuitous place at that specific position.
Speaker 2: In other news, in season news, Daniel Bob Bowlesby apparently bullish bullish about starting the season on time. I would like to hear toofore coin the term bullish Bob Bowlesby a little bit of a literation. Maybe we can go with sure, Perhaps a playoff type of scenario.
Speaker 1: Will make Bob bullish Bob. I can't even say it too much alliteration. It's okay, Yeah, he's bullish because he seems to see and I don't I can't say he with any bad reason. He seems to see schools trying to put everything in place to be as safe as possible, and there's nothing, there's there's there's no obvious roadblock that has been encountered yet, but it is June second. Yeah, so I'm glad there's optimism. But August second, September second are obviously going to be a lot more meaningful.
Speaker 2: And with that note, we start getting into more of the kinks and I think more of the stories that we're going to be seeing more of. Part of the reason we're installing this news hit at the top of our episodes is because we can see the future a little bit, as most college football fans can. At this point, there are going to be a lot of oddities quirks, if you will, that I think are going to need to take place or are just going to become commonplace if we want to have a season. And so stories like this next one about Notre Dame and Navy moving their game from Ireland back to Annapolis, that's going to be more of the norm, right Hearing stories about potentially Notre Dame's game with Wisconsin, which was slated to be played at lambeau Field it still is as of now, but the room roomer mill is churning that that game is going to be moved to Notre Dame Stadium. And then with that game being played at Notre Dame Stadium. The next rendition of that matchup with Wisconsin would be played at Camp Randall Stadium. So we're going to hear a lot more of that, especially as it relates to non conference games. And I suspect the next story here from John Wilner at the San Jose Mercury News will become something that we have to talk a lot more about as well as it relates to how the hell are we going to pull this off amid a pandemic. Like we acknowledge on a previous show, there's an element of risk that that much I think is assumed. It's just an everyday life. We're going to have to deal with that. John Wilner gets into what we talked about on our will there Be College Football show, and it relates to testing. I'll say this right now, Ty, I say every single American college football game scheduled for Western Europe coming.
Speaker 1: Back to the States. You said it's going to be more of the norm. I will say I'll say one hundred percent of them, Tie, thank you. Of all those games talking Barcelona, you're talking, Gosh, I'm gonna we're going to have a college football game in Leone this year.
Speaker 2: Can we even do our jokes anymore about Lehi Lafayette being played in the Tokyo don't probably know.
Speaker 1: Those aren't jokes. That's just reality. Tie, that's just reality. They're not going to cancel that all that back. That's essential, essential competition overseas. Yeah, no, that's obviously things are going to be moved to the safest possible places. And it does make sense to move to Annapolis. And yeah, you're right about the John Wilner story. He spoke to George Rutherford at UC San Francisco, who is an a pedio epidemiologist. You got it. You know, we I say I'm dumb, This guy seems smart. This seems like one of the smarter people. And he laid out an ideal week and ideal plan for how college and he's a college football fan, how programs can go about testing responsibly and with you know, ideal timing. And that's early in the week on Monday, that's Wednesday, that's seventy two hours before kickoff, because when you talk about the times, how long it takes to sort of become contagious, you want that seventy two hour window. And then Saturday morning before games and he and John Wilner sort of priced it out at being a little about half a million dollars for the season, depending on how many people you test, and if you're going all school, year long, and every single athletic department employee closer to like five six million dollars. So it's an expenditure, but it's also an investment I suppose in both health and having television broadcast football and other sports.
Speaker 2: It does beg the question if you go the six million dollar route, and again marketing back to our previous episode, go back, listen to the show we did on will there be a college football season in twenty twenty? If you are Ohio State or Texas and you're pulling down nine zeros with your athletic department, of course you don't want to spend five or six million dollars if you go the more aggressive route, right, But I think that's an investment you make because you can and it benefits you. You almost have to. But if you're Arkansas State, if your revenue is three and a half million dollars a year, if maybe even a half million dollars on the low end is too much for you to invest, do you just scrap the whole damn thing.
Speaker 1: No, it's a good point, and I don't know what it will take in terms of loans, in terms of cooperation with states, or funding from states who are also invested in the success of athletic departments in football from these major colleges. Something will be worked out. I don't think you're going to hear too many stories about Yeah, I guess North Texas is just gonna not test kids. That's just the route they're taking and they're still going to play. I don't think we're gonna see those stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. The only other tidbit here we have to mention it. As we said at the top, it's a weird backdrop right now. But amid some of the disturbances down in Atlanta, the College Foopbleball of Fame was damaged by protesters. I read up on this as best I could. Doesn't seem like the damage is terrible. Obviously, you don't want any damage at all, But hopefully that can be restored to all of its former glory and continue being a shrine for college football fans.
Speaker 1: I've been told the only thing missing are the Notre Dame and Oregon National Championship College football playoff trophies. I've been told those are gone. They exist, Ty, trust me, but they're not there, not yet. I am ready to move on to questions. If you are. I don't have anything else. I would love to move on to questions. Ty, what a treat? Congratulations, Skippy, you've got mail. You've got mail. On the Solid Verbal Dan as often as we can, and now maybe a little bit more often than ever before.
Speaker 2: Solid Verbal at gmail dot com. You can also find us on Instagram, on Facebook, on Twitter, all the usual social media hotspots. We put out a siren call for your questions for college football, for sort of college football related, for non college football related. We're really running the full gamut here, Dan, Sure gonna start with an individual who labeled themselves as lifes for fun?
Speaker 1: Is it not? It's for fun?
Speaker 2: How do you feel about the open transfer market with a one year penalty? Now, good question, That is the way the question is written. I'm wondering if it was intended to be without a one year penalty. Yeah, let's talk about it without We can talk about it and without. So currently it's kinda like this with a one year penalty. Currently, if you transfer out, if you get your release if you sign on with a new team.
Speaker 1: Right, you have to sit out a season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there have been recent except to that rule, justin Fields and Tate Martel and there are a number of other folks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hardship waivers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, it even varies from conference to conference. That's the current system. I think you and I are still in agreement. We've been in agreement for a while that that system is somewhat antiquated.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, Yeah, especially as we see the NIL stuff come forward, there's going to be more player power there. I think there is more energy and momentum behind player power, so I would expect that too. Even though I think it was shelved for the time being, I think it's going to go through and I think I'm for it. Ty. If somebody wants to leave, they want to leave. It's good for the program for somebody who doesn't want to be there to be able to go. And I know there's always going to be fears about free agency and what an open market means, but I think it's all right. I think everybody's going to be all right. You want players who want to be at your program. It will hold school, coaching staffs, athletic departments more accountable to be as good as they possibly can be to players, academic support. I don't think players want. I think a lot of times players leave because it's not just saying, oh, I'm not I got beat out to start at safety. I'm gonna go to this other program where I think I have a better chance. I think a lot of the times players just they don't fit in with the locker room. Maybe the coach who recruited them left. I think there's all sorts of they don't like the weather, they don't like the campus. And yes, it is better when people just in general stick things out if the initial impression isn't good, but it's also college football. If somebody wants to be more comfortable somewhere else and they're positive they will be, I'm okay with that movement and having immediate eligibility at least once, that's.
Speaker 2: Fine, right, And that is the proposal, right, And so if we reword the question a little bit here, if or iver Ball are meant to ask about the open market without that one year penalty. That's been the proposal that's been floating around since well officially the beginning of this year.
Speaker 1: Probably a lot longer than that.
Speaker 2: Under that rule, you would essentially get one freebie, you get one Hall pass, you can get your transfer release, you can go elsewhere, you can play immediately, but you can only do it once. And the NCAA has talked about it. They decided to put that proposal on the back burner as soon as they think they can enact. It would be the twenty twenty one slash twenty two academic year. I like it, actually, yeah, I like it. I think we are of one mind on this particular issue. It begs the question. I know we've had people write in and say, well that Kirk Herbstreet. By the way, he hasn't written in, but I know he's done all sorts of pearl clutching on FRS. Well, you know right, it's not the it's not the spirit of the game whatever. Like coaches can leave whenever they want. And I do like the fact that it balances things out a little bit more in the favor of the player.
Speaker 1: I just can't understand, like, if I looked at the Oregon roster, if you looked at the Notre Dame roster, I can't imagine looking at the roster and saying, oh God, I hope we can hold on to him. I hope he doesn't leave. You can't live your life and fear like that, Oh what happens if the free agency becomes a thing in college football that ruins You can't live your life and fear like that. Just enjoy your team, enjoy your roster. If somebody doesn't want to be there and they want to go somewhere else, so be it. Find somebody to replace them. Maybe your coaches shouldn't be terrible if that's something that weighs in on them. I'm not talking specifically about Brian Kelly Tye. Just can't live you can't worry about the hypothetical that there's something that we have no idea about is going to ruin the sport. Because this is my worldview and this is my prediction.
Speaker 2: Just move on the question I would ask for, and not specifically Kirk Curvestreet, but folks who say that this violates the spirit of the game. Yeah, how do we feel about coaches who leave after one year? Is that in the spirit of the spirit of the game? Are we okay with that? Everyone should's cool with that. There's not a rule where you got to stay with a program. For two years or anything like that. So I don't know that would be my question back. I'm okay with this. I don't know what the unintended consequences would be, but I'm willing to find out, just to give players a little bit more say in their futures a.
Speaker 1: Lot of fun. Couple weeks after signing day in which, oh yeah, now we've decided to get rid of our defensive coordinator. Oh now we've decided to politely push out our wide receivers coach. Weird how that happens every year right after signing day, right after players sign up to play for somebody moving on Red Cup rights in as Red Cup Rebellion are good friends at the Old Miss site?
Speaker 2: What should we expect as Old Miss fans from Lane Kiffen in year one? Yeah, the low hanging fruit is a lot more snark and probably trash talk on Twitter and maybe press conferences.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was going to say, speaking of leaving after one year, let's move on to Lane Kiffin. Yeah, what should we expeck from Lane Kiffin in year one? I assume the question is what should we expect from Ole Miss and a Lane Kiffin Ole Miss squad in year one. It's a brutal schedule. I don't know if you had a chance to look at it. It's especially that first half of the season. It's pretty front loaded, and they get a big twelve championship contender from last year to start the season in Baylor. I believe at your favorite stadium in Houston the nerg So it all goes to plan scheduling wise, I think ole Miss is going to be a bowlish team if everything breaks their way. If they're able to beat a good team, they should be bowlish. They have to figure out what they're doing at quarterback. Obviously, John Reese Plumley had a very promising year, largely with his feet though, which is not necessarily the focus of Lane Kiffin's. And he brings over the offensive coordinator. I think his name is Jeff Levy from UCF. I hope I didn't get that name wrong. DJ Diurkins taking over the defense, or at least partially it's the co defensive coordinator. They need to get a lot better in the secondary. They return a bunch of linebackers. They lost a bunch of good dudes up front on defense. I think year one you want to at least solidify and just have hope that the secondary has gotten better and that there appears to be a plan on offense. Elijah Moore is good, the receivers, the young receivers appear to be promising. So just a cohesive plan on offense and a little bit more organization on the back end, I think is a reasonable expectation, given that saying yeah, I'll Wight in four seems pretty unrealistic against this schedule. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know the answer to this question, Dan, I racked my brain here. I don't know the answer, but I can tell you what I'm most interested in.
Speaker 1: I think they'll recruit well. I think they'll recruit well.
Speaker 2: I'm most interested in what he does with John Reese Plumbley at quarterback. Sure, because this is not a typical lane kiffing quarterback. This is a kid who had more rushing attempts than passing attempts last year. To have an opportunity to get creative with him, He's obviously a.
Speaker 1: Multi sports star.
Speaker 2: For what it's worth, John Reese plumbly is excited to be working with link Kivin. Not that he'd ever say otherwise, but I'm curious to see what that collaborative effort looks like and what John Reese plumbly looks like after a year under Lane Kiffin, if it changes at all, hopefully he'd find a way to better balance him out and get more out of the passing game. But I honestly don't know, which is why I'm most interested in it.
Speaker 1: So it's a good guest's gotten he has gotten relatively impressive results from non sure thing passers. Yes, okay, m BALTI sure. By the way, some of these are from Instagram, which we really haven't drawn questions from in the past, and I got to say our Instagram crowd, and that's by the way, follow solid verbal on Instagram. What are you doing? Pause the show? Follow solidverbal on Instagram. We're posting basically every day. You can see how mediocre my photoshop skills are and how outstanding my video editing skills are followed solidverble on Instagram. And I believe this also comes to us from Instagram, though maybe it's redit.
Speaker 2: What does proof of concept for Georgia Tech look like this year? So when I checked out Georgia Tech for twenty twenty, you might remember they got a new coach from Temple a year ago in twenty nineteen, Jeff Collins, good guy, good coach. This might be the toughest schedule in the country.
Speaker 1: It's real bad.
Speaker 2: The proof of concept here might might be more of like moral victories on offense and defense, Like do they get better on offense? Do they get better on defense? Because they've got Clemson, UCF, they're on the road at North Carolina and Virginia Tech. They play Notre Dame in Atlanta, Miami at home, and they're on the road at Georgia. That, my friend, is brutal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Atlanta, but not at Bobby Dodd correct.
Speaker 2: It was a tough ask a year ago to move move from Paul Johnson to more of a spread. Look, the personnel just wasn't there last year. Plus they had a ton of injuries on the offensive line this year. It just has to improve. It has to get better. I'm curious to see how James Graham looks at quarterback after getting a year under his belt. And defensively, they got to show more teeth against the run. I think if they do any of those things, it's a step forward. Any of those things would be an effective, a viable proof of concept for moving this thing forward in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: So one of the things you see when you read or watch Jeff Collins is a repeated desire to get bigger, longer, stronger. It's a different system. This is the I'm sure on every single Georgia Tech board and conversation. It's like transitioning from the flex Moon to what Jeff Collins is trying to do on offense and defense for that matter. So they're trying to recruit, they're trying to develop, they're trying to build bigger athletes whatever to transition. That's difficult right now when you are not on campus and you don't have office and workouts. I think the biggest thing might just be discipline. I know that's a vague term, but do you know who led the nation in turnover margin in twenty nineteen? You probably don't. I do not off the top of my head. It's arguably the bad team that became the most promising team in terms of results. And this was also a team that I think went nine to three against the spread, which means that they were constantly underestimated and kept things close more often than not. Oregon State. Oregon State led the don't quote me if it's turnover margin might just be they led the nation in fewest turnovers lost. I know turnovers can be random, but also there are no random fumble bounces. If you don't fumble the ball, if the ball doesn't pop out, you can't fumble the ball as far as I can tell. If your quarterback is getting more comfortable in your system, presumably he's going to throw fewer interceptions. And when you give the ball away less and Georgia Tech certainly gave the ball away a ton in twenty nineteen, give yourself a shot. You keep games close. I think proof of concept is going to be what does Georgia Tech's record against the spread look like? And as weird as that is to say, with this actual schedule looking as difficult as it does, if they're staying within a couple touchdowns against Georgia, Notre Dame, and Clemson, if they're competitive with them for a half a quarter and a half, and their players appear to be in the right place, if their linebackers are getting run over instead of juked, instead of running the wrong direction, things like that to me are little things. We're just like, Yes, of course, Travis etn is impossible to tackle, but at least he was in the right lane. At least the run fits were correct. Stuff like that, and maybe it takes a rewatch of a game to say, yeah, we just got beat by flat out amazing players. That's improvement. And I think Georgia Tech showed some of that last year. I just don't think they have those dudes yet on either side of the ball. But they're recruiting really well. I think they had a blue chip quarterback from Tallahassee. I want to say, Jeff Simms. He's going to be a freshman, and the early word on him is pretty impressive. So stuff like that, we're just like, Okay, I see what they're going for. If you watch a Georgia Tech game and you're like, they're not there, but I get it, that's a proof of concept. In twenty twenty, all.
Speaker 2: Right, chances that Penn State wins the Big Ten. This one comes to us from David. Yes, So, David, if you take the Vegas slant on this one, Penn State is at six to one to win the Big Ten. Now, Ohio State is negative two forty, which basically means you got a bet two hundred and forty dollars to win one hundred. They're an overwhelming favorite to win the Big Ten. After Penn State, you've got Michigan at thirteen to two, You've got Wisconsin at ten to one, which, honestly, Wisconsin at ten to one seems like pretty good bet just to get value. That's not the worst bet in the world for Penn State.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: It comes down to the month of October. They're at Michigan, then they're on buy, then they're home against Iowa and Ohio State on back to back weeks. If they can get through that gauntlet in October, that gives them their best shot for doing it. That's what they would need to do. There's some other games later in the year could be tricky. I think on the road at Nebraska and then maybe the next week back home against Michigan State. I don't have the schedule in front of him, but it's something like that, Yeah, you're one coach of Michigan State. Yeah, yeah, So, I mean there are some tricky spots elsewhere. There's an early game on the road at Lane Stadium against Virginia Tech. Not a conference game, sure, but we'll get a better sense for what Penn State is this should be a good team. They're good on defense. I don't expect they're gonna dip it all on defense.
Speaker 1: Shaka Tony's back, right, Yeah, they.
Speaker 2: Got a shore up there. They're like passing defense. They got to give up fewer back breaking pass plays. I guess they got to get the offense figured out because they've got a new offensive coordinator in Kurt Shiraka. But there's a lot back and so I feel good about their chances to be in that conversation, But the month of October looms pretty large here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, they couldn't bring Tanner Morgan over to prevent him, and they're not playing Minnesota to prevent Minnesota from at least in the first half, rocking that secondary. So they hired Kirk Sharaka, and I just dude, wise, you're gonna need a healthy amount on both sides. And I like Penn State up front on defense. Although YGM is gone, right, he's tol ros Montos He's gone, but Michael Parsons is one of the absolute best defensive players in the country. Johan Dotson's probably the go to guy on offense with kJ Hamler gone, but Pat Fryermuth is back. I think he's what a sophomore junior this year, I believe. So they've got a couple guys who are interesting. Do they have a back breaking dude on offense? Because I maybe is the best answer I can give right now, because I don't know if I fully trust Sean Clifford. But I anticipate improvement with Shiraka. But that might also be me just not giving Tanner Morgan enough credit. So I I think I would put Penn State's odds as not great because generally speaking before a season, i'd like an obvious dude to point to they should have a really good backfield. Yeah, I think it's deep and talented.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think they'll be fine. In terms of offensive weaponry, I do. I do share your question though about particularly the dude out wide like Pat Fryermuth gives him a lot in the passing game. You can play him as a wide.
Speaker 1: Out, but sure big target down the middle.
Speaker 2: You know, dot, since somebody needs a step up and they need to get more of that vertical threat.
Speaker 1: I don't think Ricky Slade has actually gone anywhere yet. Has he has he announced where he's transferring to?
Speaker 2: Okay, not that I'm aware of Okay, we'll see, Okay, where you want to go next? Dan, I've been asking all the questions.
Speaker 1: Do you want to go a little bit Homer right now? Because you have both a Notre Dame and an Oregon question, Let's go out west for an Oregon question, and then we'll go back to you for a Notre Dame question. Mason Vandy wants to know how does Mario Christaball's offensive line look next year after losing four starters at Oregon. Pretty good? It is pretty good. Last year's was excellent. Quarterback is probably the bigger question to me. They return basically all of their skill guys other than Penn State transferred Juwan Johnson and their starting tight end got hurt in the middle of last season. But upfront, Oregon has recruited well. They red shirted a talented tackle last year. They had the number one offensive lineman from the junior college ranks red shirt last year as well. They brought in I think a junior college center, so he'll battle things out. He might play center, he might play guard. They're not going to be nearly as deep as they were. They weren't just talented up front last year. They were deep with talent, so there'll be a lot of youth that is relied on as rotation pieces. But I think ultimately what they have in Joe Morehead as an offensive coordinator and you know this from following Penn State and their own offensive line struggles. His system gets the ball out of the quarterback's hands quickly. It's misleading, there's misdirection, there's that RPO action that the line won't be counted on to be amazing what he got out of the line and what he got out of the running game with Saquon Barkley. And trust me, Orgon does not have Saquon Barkley. I think leads me to believe that they should be at worst like a B plus. I don't know much about but you know Joe Morehead, Yeah, I mean, and you're still a little bit bitter that he went to Oregon and not Notre Dame. I get it a little bit.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to see what he what he brings to Oregon. It feels like a very natural fit. And maybe that's just because I have the Chip Kelly Oregon era fresh on the brain after all of our First Place Loser style podcast that we've done, but.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm our East Coast small school offensive mind. Yeah, I'm very curious to see what it does with that offense. Does Brian Kelly have what it takes to win? I assume he means the national championship at Notre Dame because he's won plenty, But that seems to be that.
Speaker 2: Piece, I think so, I've I've felt that way for a while. I think since Kelly took over, the overall talent on the Notre Dame roster has improved exponentially. They're deeper now than they've ever been at any point before. The one question, the outstanding question that I have about this team is a quarterback position, and can they recruit that game changing core or back to come in and take Notre Dame to the next level. I feel like that's really held them back.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Ian Book is going to be the first three year consecutive starter that Brian Kelly's had in his tenure at Notre Dame. If Tommy Reese can better tap into what Ian Book has as a downfield passer, that would put the offense in a much better spot. We know that they can rely on his legs to some extent, so I think there is certainly reason for optimism there. I don't know if that happens this year, but I do think just in general, as a coach, yeah, I think he has one for sure.
Speaker 1: So yes, obviously he's led a team to a national championship game and to the College Football Playoff. They didn't fully equit themselves all that well in either one of those instances, but that's if a coach is getting you there, that means obviously he's capable on some level to take another step. What would Notre Dame fans or what do Notre Dame fans in general doubt about. I don't know if it's the Brian Kelly era or the recent Brian Kelly teams. Are they so like this year's team? To me, it almost seems like it's a similar question to what we had about Penn State, like where are the killers on offense? Chase Claypool's gone. I don't know if they have a guy at running back it was at Jafar Armstrong. It is he the one who's well, I mean he's back. It could be Chris Tyree.
Speaker 2: People are excited about Chris Tyree right in the backfield, a freshman running back who comes in with much acclaim.
Speaker 1: But who's writing book throwing to that that is going to I don't have their schedule in front of me. Do they play Clemson? They do play back in the rotation, So like, who is scaring a really good secondary out wide? Because as we saw, you know, as we've seen against the best teams that Notre Dame plays generally in January, all of a sudden, they just don't exist on the roster.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a different question though, if you're talking about Notre Dame in the twenty twenty season versus Brian Kelly as coach. Yeah, Notre Dame twenty is a good team. They're not going to contend for the national championship.
Speaker 1: Okay. I think they've done a really good job on defense, in building and recruiting, in building up depth and building up experience. Your guy, what what's his name, Kyle Hamilton at safety? He should be full time this year, me, Kyle Hamilton. So yeah, they up front, the linebackers were really I think they're all new last year. I don't rememberize everything, but I think linebackers was a point of strength last year for Notre Dame in replacing guys because it was what Drew Tranquill the year before, who was doing so much for the Irish, And I don't remember thinking Notre Dame's linebackers are a liability last year, so year over year they seem to do an impressive job on defense. It just what does that that threat on offense look like, because I don't know if I've seen it recently. There's always like a guy, but never like, oh man, Notre Dame's got a killer three now on offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we'll see. I don't know, and no, it could be wrong. I think Brian Kelly as a coach has it, but he is in the position that so many other coaches around the country are in and you just can't hold them to the same standard as like a Dabbo Swinge ar a Nick Saban. At this point, they've gotten to the point now where they're continuously in that conversation and I think that in and of itself is a huge victory for Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: Has to his impact at Alabama permanently changed what we know the Crimson tide to be. So I assume this is Duck caught upstream. This is from Reddit. To his impact at Alabama is just this all world quarterback. They've spread everything out, they go rpo, They've got these amazing receivers and this crazy productive quarterback. So is Alabama a wide open program? I suppose on offense? Yeah, this is the answers.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is a weird question because you can't put the genie back in the bottle. Like, No, it's not just that Alabama has moved on from some of those older, more antiquated offenses that they used to run very successfully, mind you. Yeah, set, all of college football has moved on almost you're also a Greg McElroy apologist. Sure everybody knows this, but like, hasn't most of college football moved on to some kind of spread system or rpo system, Like it's some combination of both. Like it. That's just kind of the state of playing college football right now.
Speaker 1: And too, I would say most programs have tried. It's okay, fair sporgs have tried.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that, but that's that's more the thinking in college football as it relates to offenses. Now. In twenty twenty, Tua ran it with It's a great effect, right and pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh I think it meant ran the ball. Yeah, no, he ran it and just to an impossible degree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I just I feel like that's where offenses are at as a whole.
Speaker 1: With Alabama specifically, the answer is yes. Nick Saban has given quotes when they've brought in new offensive coordinators staff that have toyed with the idea of changing things or in introducing plays of their own system. Nick Saban has been vocal about saying, no, no, this is how we do things here. You were brought in to do this. You were brought in to be the new guy to do what we do. We didn't bring you in to change the success we've had. So I would say absolutely, And especially when you look at the quarterbacks that they've brought in this year. They bring in I don't know if he was the number one or number two quarterback in the country, but Bryce Young from southern California is very much in that mold of athletic game changer. Twitchy has a great arm. He is very much a signal that Alabama is not going to some sort of overhauled new offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agreed, All right, where are we gonna go next.
Speaker 1: Let's go with Alabama's or at least right now opponent in Week one A convary. This is very weird to get questions from screen names and humans when does USC win their next title? And I want to answer this question seriously, tie fine, when does USC win their next title? So presumably national title, not PAC twelve title, because the expectation at USC is national titles. When do they win their next title?
Speaker 2: Probably not till they move on from Clay Hilton.
Speaker 1: That's my guess. So it seems that if you're going to compete for a national title, if you're going to compete to enter the playoff when your conference enter the playoff, you're going to need three pretty gangbusters years of recruiting. USC is now starting at year one as we speak, as they build the twenty twenty one class, which is very good. I don't know if you've had an opportunity to look at team rankings or specific classes. USC has gotten its act together on the recruiting trail. They're getting to Oregon levels and that's a great start. Now they have I think two blue chip quarterbacks committed to the program. I imagine as long as this staff is together, they will recruit again pretty well. So if you talk about years, if Keaton Slovas is very good, once again, it seems like he'll be gone after the twenty twenty one season, after his junior year. It also seems Graham Harrell will probably be gone, and just because he is going to be a commodity in the sport or in the NFL wherever. I imagine it's just not in the cards for a Clay Helton led Trojan team to get back and win a national title. But I imagine that they will start putting together and stringing together really talented classes, and I would say the absolute earliest is twenty twenty three. I'm gonna say year two, year three of the new guys, so probably closer to twenty five twenty six. If the if Clay Helton's out after a year or two, I.
Speaker 2: Was gonna say twenty twenty five without all the logic that you put into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just it's smart recruiting with USC too. There have been a lot of amazing classes at USC that haven't panned out. It's fine the right blue chips, it's finding it's putting together really smart classes and finding guys in Arizona, Colorado, New Jersey, Tennessee, Florida, not just relying on southern California. Just finding the best possible fits to maximize Trojan results.
Speaker 2: I am very curious to see how much longer Clay Hilton continues as coach, because the one thing that always comes up whenever we talk about his performance as a coach, it's just that he's like, he's like a he's an adult. He's an adult. He's a good guy. People like him. Okay, right, he carries himself in a very classy way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, us, he's going to the good guy playoff TI.
Speaker 2: People love Clay Hilton as a human being. How much mileage can you get out of that?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: And every year there's kind of like that one quirk. Right, this past year he had the injury at quarterback, Heaton Slovis. They brought him in. He showed a lot of promise. They were starting over on offense to some degree, like he had to be right, like he had that card that he could play. And now this year moving forward, like the recruiting class last year wasn't great, to be honest, but moving forward, like you said, it looks like things are turning around. They're going in a good direction. If us he goes eight and four again, can he point to that and say, look, I Uh, I gotta get my guys back in here. I gotta, I gotta continue with this recruiting class. Is that enough to keep him around? No?
Speaker 1: If you go eight and four with Keden Slovas this year and I don't have usc schedule in front of me, Well, when we preview everybody, we're going to go deep, deep in depth with every division, every conference, whatever. But at a certain point you're going to say, we can't waste the final year of Keiden Slovas on another PAC twelve South runner up type year, and so they're going to make a move. He just just barely hung on this last time with the new ad giving him another year. So yeah, it's gonna be the new guy. All right?
Speaker 2: Where are we gonna go next?
Speaker 1: You love this question. It's from password one, two, three, four, which I don't have any answer. No, how he knew. No, Well, I think it's an interesting question to think about, and it's a long question, but he wants to know when does quarterback and offensive play level out? And he lists names like Tim Tebow and Cam Newton and Marcus Mariota and Jamis Winston and more recently Joe Burrow to a Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson. We've had just record breaking offensive performances and quarterback performances this last I don't know, ten twelve years. Will defenses catch up, will things level off? That we are just in an era of unprecedented success that will eventually come to a close. Our defense is now too far behind the eight ball. Have rules gone too far in the offensive direction in terms of players being scared about targeting and roughing the quarterback and things like that, that it's given offenses undue advantages. No easy answer to this, but I will point out that it's a new era in terms of it. It's actually not that new anymore, but the last ten twelve years, it's an unprecedented level of both focus on the position. And you see where these guys have come from, Georgia and Texas, and I guess Ohio in the case of Joe Burrow not I guess he's from Ohio. But there are certain advantages a lot of these guys have, and whether it's you know, Patrick Mahomes and Kyler Murray having athlete fathers and they're just genetically so far ahead and have advantages of playing football year round in Texas. With that much focus or Cam Newton and the physical advantages that he has, and he's a unicorn with quarterbacks. I don't see it slowing down anytime soon. But the other thing that I think is a key contributor to all of this and why I don't think it's going to be slowing down anytime soon. Think about how easy it is to hire really good coaches. Think about how it is to watch film on any school you'd want in the country. Think about so, what Mike you're sick is from Shippensburg? Is that how you say that it's Shippenberg Shippensburg. Yeah, So he goes to Oklahoma State. You have Chip Kelly at New Hampshire going to Oregon. You have you know, Gus Malson and Chad Morris coming up through the high school ranks. It's easier to find out about really smart offensive dudes. So it's also easier to find quarterbacks who fit your specific kind of system. And so whether it's the Internet, whether it's tape, whatever it is, it's just an easier time to wreak havoc on offense. Because if we talked to Chris Brown all the time from Smart Football, so much of this is stealing. It's seeing, you know, a team at the Colorado School of Mines run that little touch pass and Dana Holgerson hangs seventy on Clemson. It's so much easier to just populate your playbook and to build a system stealing gets from everywhere and then finding quarterbacks who best fit your system. Whether it's you know, Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence from Georgia going to South Carolina and play for Clemson. It's much easier to find that guy for you. So just in terms of that stew tie, it's easier to find a ghost pepper. It's easier to find tie basil. It's easier to find a certain kind of beans. It took a turn means in your chili. Yeah, it always does with food. But I'm just saying recipes are so much easier to come by that I don't see it stopping anytime soon unless defenses are allowed to do more, which also given safety concerns, I also don't see happening. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a complicated answer here. I think you've always had guys who were.
Speaker 1: I just gave it. I just gave a complicated answer.
Speaker 2: You've always had guys who were physically gifted, right, We see it all the time in college football. You got one guy, you win a national championship if he's good enough. Yeah, quarterbacks and incoming high school talent definitely farther along now than at any point I can ever remember. It's just there's more of an infrastructure at a lower level of football than at any point I can ever remember. They come into college, they're they're much better prepared physically, mentally, the whole nine yards. So that that much is definitely a contributing factor. But I think there's a lot of supporting evidence that the rules have definitely put offenses at an advantage. Just look at the NFL. Look at the NFL. They've changed the rule book to some degree, and it's now much much more of a passing league than at any point before. Also, keep in mind that a lot of what you see on Sundays is now openly stolen from what you see on Saturdays. The NFL just on thost Fridays. Yeah, closely mimicking what they see at the college level because they know it works. And so no, I don't think it slows down anytime soon. Also, the structure of these college offenses is such that it is really trying to put guys in space. The whole thing is about space, and that favors teams with great athletes. That favors teams that can go out and recruit versatility, and it definitely puts smaller schools of a disadvantage when they can't get those athletes. I don't think it's going to slow on anytime soon. I'm curious to see if it does take a rule change or I don't know, something else to try and slow this down. But no, I don't see it. I don't see it slowed.
Speaker 1: Down, especially since by and large this is not everybody, but a good amount of people prefer watching games with amazing quarterbacks and fewer games with amazing inside linebackers. There are people who prefer great defensive play to offensive play. They're people, too, ty But in terms of the sports watchability, I mean, maybe we could see a rule change with RPOs and how many line how many yards pass the line of scrimmage offensive linemen go with regard to illegal player downfield. That kind of thing, I guess could affect successes of unpredictable RPOs, stuff like that, But otherwise I think the powers that be in college football are pretty happy to be living in a renaissance of quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are also living through an extraordinary period of college football where you've got like five or six juggernauts and they just keep replenishing year after year. Quarterbacks coming into these systems like Clemson, if you want to use them as an example, Clemson was already pulling down five stars before Trevor Lawrence showed up and other five stars had to leave. That's the caliber of player they're getting. After Trevor Lawrence leaves, presumably after this year for the draft, they've got another five star waiting in the wings that's going to perform at just as high level, if not better. So we are living through this era of incredible offensive advantage and quarterbacks going to these schools that are already loaded to the teeth.
Speaker 1: And by the way, if you're sick of Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, Oklahoma, whatever, the only thing that will beat those The only thing that a smaller school can do to beat a school like any of those schools consistently with the amount of talent each of those places have, is to stumble upon a transcendent quarterback. I guess Texas A and M did in Johnny Manziel in twenty eleven, I believe, is the year that they recruited him. He was a freshman, the year he red shirted. That's the only way that somebody can will their team that has a distinct talent advantage or a distinct scheme advantage. We saw it with Ole miss and what they're able to do with their offense circa what with Doctor Bow and twenty fourteen twenty fifteen. There the offense is the only thing really to me, and they had great defenses at that time too, but it was the offense that was succeeding. With Evan Ingram and Chad Kelly, skis like that that can really open up the sport and make it as unpredictable as people want. Otherwise, if we're just talking about defensive talent, where you're gonna see a lot more of Alabama and Clemson and Georgia and Ohio State, which I don't think anybody really really wants if you're not fans of those teams.
Speaker 2: All right, last football question, then there are at least two quick non college football ones that I just need to talk about.
Speaker 1: All right, do you want to do the wand question? The wand question?
Speaker 2: No, I was gonna ask about Kyler Murray versus Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I'm taking Lamar, but continue.
Speaker 2: Kyler Murray Lamar Jackson. This one comes to us from Zach. You got to pick one to win you a big game.
Speaker 1: Who you got? Uh? The one who has won the MVP of the National That's the one I know, I think. I mean, are we talking about today, Lamar Jackson, Louisville Lamar versus Oklahoma Kyler? How are you interpreting this? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm interpreting it college version version, both of who they were in college, both won the Heisman. I'm partial to Lamar here because he's so gifted as a runner, and he more than makes up for his sometimes lack of passing accuracy.
Speaker 1: He was raw in college at times.
Speaker 2: He's still raw to some degree, but he's just so gifted as a runner. You would legit have a chance against any team. You could just put him back there in a shotgun and let him run fifty times. He's that good as a runner. The key thing for me and the reason I think I go Lamar is we've seen him put a team on his back without much of a supporting cast, and we've seen the results there. That's the distinction.
Speaker 1: Louisville.
Speaker 2: You might remember they were up late against a national championship Clempson team. We talked about them a few episodes ago, like Louisville's not coming back in that game and taking a lead against Clemson. If Kyle Bollen is your quarterback, like he was just such a transcendent player at the college level that I can't look past it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is. They're the only difference. We're splitting hairs here because Kyler Murray was an incredible, incredible college player. The big difference to me is you watch Lamar Jackson and I'll say I watch Lamar Jackson and I immediately say I would do anything to wear the same uniform as him. What it must be like to be on his team must be so great. I would do anything for him to be my quarterback. And I don't quite feel that with Kyler Murray. That's the only difference. What was the wand question? Oh, somebody asked if we could wave a magic wand and give any program Alabama levels of success, which program would it be? The Lafayette fighting Leopards. I didn't see answer. Yeah, Trey asked that question. So if you're talking about which fan base seems deserving or that we can't give out a fan base without a rival fan base saying like, actually they're the worst. Actually that is the worst. So I don't know if there's a long suffering fan base that you would feel particularly enthusiastic about giving unprecedented levels of success.
Speaker 2: Who are the Cubs of college football.
Speaker 1: That haven't won in forever? And yeah, yeah, I mean a lot of people would argue Cubs fans are obnoxious. I'm married into a Cubs family, so I think they're charming and wonderful. Sure, long suffering. I don't think there's one of the major schools in Florida. I don't think. I'm trying to think of a team in the SEC. I think it would get real rough if Tennessee all of a sudden started winning again. But I kind of want to see it from an entertainment standpoint, what the college football universe looks like if Tennessee and everything that comes along with just crazy amounts of success, national championship levels of success, What happens, what level of flip turned up side down universe happens if Tennessee.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't want to. I don't want to give it to an SEC school though. That's the thing, Okay, Like I kind of feel like we need a school like that out in the Pac twelve.
Speaker 1: It would be great for Colorado to come back, but I don't just I don't feel like there's a fervor for it that would I don't think it would be as appreciated as some other programs, but it'd be great Colorado did it.
Speaker 2: There is such an impulse here to just pick a program that's down and out or a really small school program, like let's pick Boise State and give it to that. Like there really is that inclination to do it. But I honestly don't know. I need That's a great question. Trey asked it. Trey asked it right.
Speaker 1: Got to think more about that. Rutgers is there for it. There's no fervor. There is just no Rutgers football ferv I'm sure there's pockets, but generally speaking, there's no fervor.
Speaker 2: I need to think more about this. Good question, very good question.
Speaker 1: What about a re emergence to the forefront of Mac Brown and the Tar Hills. But is there a fur no fervor. But I mean that's still a pretty big sports school.
Speaker 2: It is u NC. I got to think more about this one.
Speaker 1: Oh Man, I would what if the tables were flipped. I know you said you weren't thinking SEC, but what if all of a sudden, South Carolina just reversed everything in that state and became a power?
Speaker 2: Be interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about a school that's been dominated by a rival and doesn't just flip it on the rival, but flips it on all of college football. So Washington Michigan, there's definitely fervors with both of those fan bases. Michigan fully flips the script on Ryan Day and Ohio State. I mean this is science fiction, obviously, but yeah, I think a school like that that has been so down and out in Oklahoma State, Oklahoma State would be interesting. It's interesting. Not the most likable program, but for a fan base that is passionate about the Pokes. Yeah, and then to turn the tide on on Boomer Sooner. Yeah. I think that kind of school that else can't get over on their rival not only gets over on their rival, but becomes a national power. That's great.
Speaker 2: How much time do we got for non college football questions?
Speaker 1: Kit a few minutes? Okay, if you're tuned in to listen to college football, you don't want to listen to non college football. Now would be the time to exit stage left. Thank you for downloading, thank you for listening, and thank you for telling your friends to subscribe to the show. It's very important that you do that because we're putting in not just a lot of time now, but we're about to put in a lot of time. So if you have friends in your life who you think might enjoy a college football podcast, throw them our away, send them our way, whatever you got to do.
Speaker 2: We got this question from Adam. Yeah, I've been thinking about this all day, all day.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: He says he recently hooked up his old Sega and he's remembering how infuriating Sonic the Hedgehog was, especially the level with the water. All these years later, I still haven't cleared it. What video game from your childhood do you recall giving you absolute fits? I suspect you and I could do a full podcast on this particular question.
Speaker 1: I didn't have the patience for a lot of RPGs. I just didn't tie. I don't know if you were big on Final Fantasy and all the no the Zelda games and all of that stuff. I just I didn't have it in me I had. I think those gave me the patience element, gave me fits.
Speaker 2: I had a long dark period of my early childhood life trying to figure out that in King's Quest you had to throw the iceberg lettuce into the boiling spring in order to get through it.
Speaker 1: It just feels like it's such. I'm not gonna say it's a waste of time because I love video games. I just feel like those minuscule little details, even when you figure them out, you're like, well, that wasn't worth it. That wasn't worth it at all. Yeah. Is there a specific game other than King's Quest?
Speaker 2: Well, a few things came to mind. All right, let's listen. You could indulge me always. How about your bike overheating in Excite Bike when you held down the B button too long?
Speaker 1: Why give me turbo? If I can't turbo? Come on? You ever play the game Burger Time? No? What's Burger Time?
Speaker 2: It's a game where it's sort of like a pac Man game where you're running around with the little guy with a chef hat and you're trying to make burgers. Okay, he had the worst agility in the world. His agility makes this list just awful. I would also add the entire game of Cubert, which I still don't understand to this day, but I had and tried to play and.
Speaker 1: It drove me nuts.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Dan, you'll appreciate this as a Niners fan. Yeah, how about that one running play in Techmo Super Bowl where you couldn't tackle Tom Rathman.
Speaker 1: You know what's what I mean? I know exactly what you mean. Yes, there are certain plays that are just maddening that there is no solution quickly.
Speaker 2: Anytime I played against the American Dreams in Baseball Stars playing NCAA on a computer against my friend Feldman, who destroyed me every game with Rishard Casey and Choffee fields and it's not as much my childhood. But how about that criminal who shoots oil in your face in Mario Kart.
Speaker 1: That thing is the guy on the cloud. I don't know what he is. Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I hate that guy.
Speaker 2: And then I'd just add anecdotally trying to use the power glove, which I don't would probably probably the worst invention in the history of the Nintendo era.
Speaker 1: So the thing that was most frustrating to me wasn't a specific game. It was the false sense of talent I had building up from building up my ability against my little brothers and the computer and then playing against random friends who either were just flat out better or had more time to perfect games. And I just couldn't believe that somebody was actually better than me at Techmo Super Bowl or NBA Live ninety five or NHL ninety four, that they had figured out quirks much more successfully and had developed better video game acumen than I. And that false sense of talent just drove me insane, just dominating at home and then playing on the road and just being worked over. I hated that you ever have a character be dunked on? Have you ever gotten dunked on by Eric Montross over and over again and made to feel like a little boy by Eric Montrosse? That's not great? Well, your friend Andy says montrocity over and Okay, that's it. Okay, got a little intense. Okay. Somebody asked about favorite new recipes, favorite dips, food during quarantine food without being able to go out and perhaps get every ingredient you want, or go to any restaurant you want at any time. I I think I've talked about this before.
Speaker 2: Ty.
Speaker 1: I made a corn salad. It's really more like a corn salsa, but a corn salad. I charred corn up and it's black beans Holapano's or Poblano's, diced up avocado lantro and then a honey lime saracha dressing. Tie some sea salt, some garlic powder. The recipes from a restaurant in Atlanta. I'm almost positive I've already talked about this called Bee's Cracklin, which burned down. There may be a location in a grocery store or something like that, a barbecue place, and it is absolutely mandatory for any cookouts summer cooking you have coming up these next few months. Wow, all right, Yeah, that was great. I got the recipe from Bone Appetite anything else from Non Football Quickly the Solid Baby's top five favorite foods. There's a veggie burger from Trader Joe's that's incredible called he likes meat too, but he really likes his veggie burger. It's the Keenwak Cowboy Veggie burger quenwa cowboy keenwak cowboy. It's black beans and corn and all sorts of a little spice to it, roast, sweet potatoes, waffles, a ton of fruit, pineapple, grapes, stuff like that. He doesn't know sugar yet, which is great because he thinks fruit is just the end all be all of deliciousness on earth. So we're holding onto that for the time being. So a lot of fruits and vegetables and breakfast dough, waffles, bagels.
Speaker 2: Nice pancakes, stuff like that. He also asks what am I doing now that I don't have the commute to the Oh, that's a great job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your top forty time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my commute was almost exclusively for listening to hits one on Serious XM. Yeah, now that's gone out the window. Now I'm trying to go back through some of the podcasts that have been recommended to me. I listened to, by the way, all of Wind of Change, which you recommended.
Speaker 1: Oh I haven't finished yet. Is it great?
Speaker 2: Really good? Nice, really good recommendation out on Spotify. Wind to Change would recommend it. So if there are any recommendations in the particularly in the nonsports department, the narrative Okay Limited series Department, Send him my way, soliverble at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Do you subscribe to any and we are not doing this, but do you subscribe to any pay only podcasts? Like it's fully behind a paywall? We're not doing that. I don't have that, not yet. I'm not opposed to it, but no, I just see it happening more and more, and I'm curious about it. I'm curious what people think if they really like something, because we don't have any plans to do it. I can't stress that enough. But I just saw what's the guy from Daring Fireball and the guy from Stratcori have a podcast that's now fully behind a paywall. I pay for goat the Greatest of All Talk, Ben Golliver and Andrew Sharp and love it. Love that I do. It's like five bucks a month. It's nothing, and that's an NBA show and they do an amazing job. I'm just curious if people are doing that more and more as podcasting becomes bigger and bigger.
Speaker 2: What else we got here? Anything else that jumps out at you?
Speaker 1: Dan says, You're only as comfortable as your feet. What shoes are you running? In I only run when I'm pushing the solid toddler in a stroller. But I've got some Adidas Ultra Boosts. I'm not a sponsor.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I am. You know how cheap I am. If I step on a rock that's too big, I can feel it now in the bottom of my foot.
Speaker 1: Final question from I want to go fast, and this only applies to you because you're the only one between us that has a lawn. What are your lawn care tips, tricks and recommendations. Wow?
Speaker 2: Well, first off, I'm no Adam Kramer from a work is, but no one is right. We get regular lawn treatments here, which I think has helped a lot. I was very skeptical at first, but I think it's helped a lot.
Speaker 1: What does that mean? What is a lawn tree?
Speaker 2: They come and they spray it with new tree ins instead of're just fertilizing it basically, Okay. I tend to cut the grass a little higher so I'm not damaging the individual blades of grass.
Speaker 1: I read this.
Speaker 2: Online, by the way, so it has to be true that you shouldn't cut your lawn two too low. I also try not to cut it in the same direction every time because it apparently that can also be harmful to the grass. Don't know if that's true either, but read that on the internet. I would say my biggest weakness as a lawn care professional is probably using the weed whacker. I am horrible with this great whacker. No, it's it's probably a cheap ole model. I just I can't get it right. A lot of spots that are just asymmetrical, and that bothers me to no end. You know this, right, you know my attention to detail on things. It drives me crazy that I'm not better using the weed whacker. But I would be open to lawn care tips in that regard, like any models or any just any.
Speaker 1: Is this something you want to be good at? Though?
Speaker 2: Is like?
Speaker 1: Are you striving? Do you look at message boards? Because the reason our show sounds good is not an accident. It's because you've put in you're motivated to make No, I'm highly motivated. OK, try and get better at this. I'm just horrible at it. I'm not an uncoordinated person, you know, I'm a thoroughbred athlete, right of course, But I just I can't figure out I can't crack the code on this.
Speaker 2: How to get better at it. So you would.
Speaker 1: Take recommendations from people. If they had a fertilizer recommendation, if they had a schedule, a regimen of some kind for lawns, if they had design lawn design tips, I would would take those. Well.
Speaker 2: I mean, I already pace want to take care of the fertilizing schedule and figure that part out, but I do.
Speaker 1: If somebody recommends something else that's going to be way better than what I mean, send it over with. Yeah, I'm down.
Speaker 2: I'm down to listen. I'm open to any and all feedback here. But you want your lawn to look like center field at PNC Park.
Speaker 1: I would love it. Maybe I would love it. Let's strike some patterns in there. I'm down, let's do it. Okay. Do you have a garden going at all? No garden? Does solid wife Kate? No? No garden.
Speaker 2: I think Kate would be open to it. I'm just not sure we have the bandwidth to take care of it. And that's a problem when it comes to gardening.
Speaker 1: Is there a specific herb or vegetable that you could see being worth while to start investing in growing your own because you go through it a lot, or because you imagine the homemade flavor and quality would be higher than what you'd be able to get locally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, the the boring and obvious answer is probably like spinach or romaine.
Speaker 1: You'd go through a lot of that. I think we go through a lot of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I wouldn't I wouldn't mind growing some globe tomatoes and throwing salad and stuff.
Speaker 1: Talk. You're a tomato guy, though, you do like a good tomato.
Speaker 2: Throw them, throw them into our Yeah, no, I do a homemade marinrad Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, good answer. I want an avocado tree, that's all I want, just one. Yeah, I mean I think that produces a lot if you can really get it going. That's the thing. It's difficult. Got to be the right weather, got to be the right soil. Takes time to grow a tree. But if you got those avocados going, tie, that's a good life. Well. This has been a fun show, educational.
Speaker 2: We were doing more Q and A shows in the very near future, so well, thank you to everyone who submitted questions. Maybe we'll use some of those that we left off next time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't forget.
Speaker 2: Subscribe to the show out on Spotify, on Apple on Google, wherever you get your podcasts, you can find the Solid Verbal. Also one more reminder, go on out to solidverbal dot com sign up for that newsletter. We're going to be sending something out I think in the next couple of days as a plan.
Speaker 1: So get you just launched, and you just launched an OnlyFans. I think that you said you wanted to I did.
Speaker 2: I was waiting to talk about that on the newsletter.
Speaker 1: But yeah, guys, Tie has been doing so many crunches. Yeah, he's ready. Okay, Sorry, I didn't want to steal any thunder there.
Speaker 2: For that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie Hilda Brand over here on the other side of the country, Stay safe, stay healthy out there.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to you in a few days. In the meantime, stay solid, Peace. H