Speaker 1: What's that at the foot of my bed? It's spooky, Hey jooky. I'm pretty sure it's dead. It's coming its way. Wait a minute, how I said? Hi, Ross dress? Hey boo, it's me Rod's dressful as if you celebrate Christmas. I hope you had a wonderful time yesterday. I thought it would be fun just to do a little bit more ask me anything questions that I posted a while ago. I enjoy answering these questions, so let's see what I can find that I have not answered already. First question that was posted in the Facebook group is was there a specific moment that inspired the creation of your podcast? You know, there's there's been many moments, and again, I've had so many paranormal experiences, and I think that what happened was I just got really sick of inappropriately just asking people have you ever seen a ghost at like, you know, regular like at a holiday party, for example, and people are like, why are we talking about ghosts right now? That's so random? So I thought, you know, I should just make this into a podcast and then people will know exactly, you know, I'll create a space for me to talk about that without being like that weird ghost Person. What's my favorite horror movie? I have so many I might have answered this question already, but I do have a suggestion. If you're looking for a horror movie in this winter Hondiday season, I would like to recommend Black Christmas I the original. It's not even though we're after Christmas. Technically, it's not really that much of a Christmas y Christmas y movie, and it's also not paranormal. But it is a spooky wintertime, Christmas time movie. So lock yourself up with some agnog and watch some college kids get murdered. What story sticks out in my mind is the scariest, most chilling, Honestly, Gunner death Ridge talking about the cult that somehow got into his dream. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, listen to that one. That one is unlike anything I've ever heard, and it truly wakes me up in the middle of the night thinking about when will I be coming back to San Francisco for a show, ghost Hunt or possible live taping slash event. I want to go to San Francisco so bad to do a live show, and I promise you I'm working on it. I have been making phone calls and sending emails. It's just I'm looking for a haunted place to do a show that can accommodate people. And I have a couple of leads. I have a couple of places that I've reached out to that I think would be perfect. But you know, I could do it at a couple of places that aren't necessarily allegedly haunted. But I have found one place in particular that is super haunted apparently and has a great backstory and all that stuff. And I've talked to a good psychic friend of mine that wants to go up there and do a kind of a ghost hunt live show. So I'm working on it. I promise you that what's your dream city to visit? Bartholona, Spain. I want to go so bad. All right, let's get on with this show. I wanted to get spooky, and there's not many people that are much spookier than my guest. Today. We have got Vander von Aud in the studio and Vander actually won Dragula, which is a spooky drag competition. Vander won the first season. And you know, I like to reach out to a lot of friends of mine and and find out if they have ghost stories and I think it would be fun to have them on. And I was like, have you ever had a ghost story? And they're like no, like not really, but you know, I'm kind of skeptical about it. Well, it turns out Vander's another one of those people that has had a couple of spooky things happen to them. So don't you worry it's gonna get creepy. Here's my interview with Vander von Od. Ladies and gentlemen, I am joined by a true spooky queen, Vander von Odd. Hi Vander. People tell me people aren't constantly saying to me ever since I started doing this podcast in January. The people are always like, oh, you're like the queen of spooky, and I'm like, no, no, no, I always refer them to Vander von Odd.
Speaker 2: Oh but the spooky comes from within. But thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I think with me, there's always a misconception that I love spooking. Well I do. I do love spookiness, but I'm like, you would never look at me and be like spooky, Like I'm Marilyn Monster, you know, Like I don't look spooky, but I'm around the spooky. I'm very spooky adjacent, but like you are a spooky bitch.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, like I live it, I breathe, and I wear it, I present it. But really it's kind of like it's like punk. Like punk, you don't, you don't just wear it, it's like you live. It's a lifestyle, it's it's a way of navigating the world.
Speaker 1: Totally. Well, I'm I'm truly. One of the great honors of my life. Happened about ten minutes ago. I opened the front door and you weren't expecting it, and I saw a genuine little spook in your eye.
Speaker 2: I know, fuck you spooky, unspook. I always say I'm not unspookable, but like no one, no one, absolutely no one is unspookable. But I'm really really hard to scare. And you did startle me because I did. Like the door is just like opened as I was about to knock. So congrats, you are one of maybe three people on the fucking planet.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you know what's funny is that I never think of myself as being spooky, but I forget how jarring it can be when like I've done gigs, well I've done gigs in libraries for example, where nobody has four foot tall wigs on and ten inch heels on, and all of a sudden you're just like hello, So I get it. I'm used to it.
Speaker 2: God, you know, God bless drag. If there's anything that can terrify anyone, if there's anything scarier than anything that will ever be on this podcast, it's a bit in a wig, like a piled wig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well the next morning if you ever fall asleep in it and you wake up the next day with glitter in your eyeballs and not a cute look, Wait a minute, hold up, what does scare you?
Speaker 2: You know what? The bulk of what scares me would usually be things that can physically harm me, like like home intrusion or getting like k mocked on the street. Like if something can physically uh put me in danger, that that that's actually really scary. So like, I'm not really scared by horror films or anything like that, But the films that do unnerve me are usually films about stalkers, like home invasion, that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that's that's something that I think a lot of people don't think about when you have you know, especially nowadays, like even just being on Instagram, you have so many people that are strangers that kind of can track you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I think about.
Speaker 1: It every day.
Speaker 2: It's crazy and like I was, like, I was on a show called Dragula. It gave me like a following, and since that, it's also been strange having just people recognize you on the street and really weird things will happen, like I went to Disneyland, you know, last week, and a friend send me photos of someone that was taking pictures of me at the park, you know, things like that. Or I'll like, I'll get in from a show and fans will send me photos of them taking pictures of me at the airport like things like that. You know.
Speaker 1: Well, I yeah, I have a friend that's famous and we were out to eat and this person was taking pictures of the food and was like, oh, I'll post that later And I was like why, like you just post it now like whatever, and this person was like, well, no, I don't want people to know that I'm at this restaurant right now. I never thought about that.
Speaker 2: See that's yeah, I'm not I'm not quite like famous famous, but I say I have friends who will be like, hey, like, don't don't post anything while we're here for the same reason.
Speaker 1: It makes sense. But what about the paranormal? I mean, are you scared of demons? Do you believe in that stuff?
Speaker 2: You know what? This is a great moment for the for the disclaimer. So I'm very skeptical, but I'm I think a part of me, a really large part of me, really really wants to believe. So the best way I can answer that question when people ask me is I can't say that I believe, but I I can't say that I one hundred percent don't believe, or that I don't want to believe. I think I'm just always open to possibility, and I love the idea of possibility. And I've had my own experiences and I may not fully believe them, but I don't also discard them as you know, coincidence or you know, just that you know it's I'm I I want to believe in the possibility that, you know, whatever things happened to me may have been real, you know, and I hope they were real.
Speaker 1: Would you seek it out? Would you ever go go, oh.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, Oh my god. I used to work in before I did drag and before I was a filmmaker. I did haunted houses professionally, and I did these in Mexico, and in Mexico they're very different from the haunts in North America. We're not set up in like a sound stage or like a warehouse where we build a set. We would seek out real buildings and we would rent real buildings with real history, and I would have to work in them, you know, for hours and hours, for weeks, for months.
Speaker 1: Like actual paranormal yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, like like really really old, but like buildings that were sometimes over like sixty seventy eighty years old, that had a lot of history, and I would have to work in them, sometimes alone at night, and again this was for weeks and months.
Speaker 2: So I've always put myself in a lot of situations where I kind of opened myself up to that sort of thing because I've always loved it so much.
Speaker 1: But did nothing ever happened or what?
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing. I can never say, you know, it did or it didn't happen. But I have experiences that were very very unnerving that I'd be more than happy to share, and I hope that they were real. Well, there was a specific, a specific building, so I worked as a creative director for entertainment and entertainment company called Find a Story Entertainment that's based in Mehikaia, California. And that's who I did all Find a Story Entertainment from Mexik, califn.
Speaker 1: A journey around the world.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, just five hours south to the border to the desert to the shit town I grew up in. But yeah, that was the entertainment company that I did haunts with, and I did them for many years. And there was of all the buildings we worked and there was a specific building that they still occasionally use, and it was called Misragon and it was like the Dragon Mission mission, meaning almost like a like a holy mission then you know, like a like a like a monastery kind of situation. And it was a massive almost like I would almost say luxury like Chinese restaurant that had been abandoned like in the seventies. Uh, And so we took up that space to set up a haunt and uh, it was I don't know why it was designed to look like a monastery. It wasn't a real monastery, but it had that look. It had these jo like massive heavy wooden doors that you had to get through in this like path that was like brick and like uh Chinese letters and dragons and all these things they had to walk down to to get to the actual building. And mind you, this was all like overgrown and like falling apart in like a kind of lonelier part of the city. And when I first worked there, there was one specific room that always made me very uncomfortable. And I've been in so many abandoned buildings, I've been in so many old buildings, I've never felt how I felt in that room anytime before that or anytime after, and it feel it was just this really intense feeling of dread. You know, it wasn't I mean, it was fear. It was a lot of fear, but more than fear, it was just like the best way I can describe it, even as someone who doesn't necessarily wholeheartedly believe in the paranormal, it just felt like really really awful things that happened there, and it was this feeling of like sadness and dread, and just like I didn't I just never ever wanted to be in that room because it just made me feel so disgusting, and it was in the back of you know, you know, there was like the dining area of the of the restaurant, and then all the kitchens, and then all the back rooms, and then all the way at the back of the building was this small room. And it's what I thought was a chicken pen when we first got there, because when I first worked in the building, find a story had already been there for like a year. But when when I went in, they had put chicken wire over all of the railing. It was essentially a jail.
Speaker 1: Cell for chickens.
Speaker 2: I thought, because they put chicken wire over it, over the bars.
Speaker 1: They got chicken got up in there.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, I went, those poor chickens. How many beheadings? How many beheadings happened in that room? No, I thought it was a chicken pen. It was an actual jail cell, which I later found out it was a jail cell. And when I went there was just an empty room with the iron bars and chicken wire all over it. So I saw chicken wire. It was a restaurant, a Chinese restaurant. I thought like, oh, like they had live animals or livestock or something here. Yeah, but no, there was there was a toilet that had been removed and they had just covered the bars with with chicken wire. And first of all, what's a jail cell doing in a.
Speaker 1: Restaurant, in a Chinese restaurant, in.
Speaker 2: A Chinese restaurant. And more so, it was the dingiest, smallest little cell. Like the toilet was really just like this kind of wooden like thing that was in the floor with a hole in it. Like it wasn't a proper toilet, you know, And so I always wonder like why that was even there. But basically in Mexia, California, where this happened, there was, oh my god, there was a massive, massive community of Chinese immigrants that moved there throughout like the forties and fifties, and so that's why this restaurant was set up there and as well as many other like that city is kind of well known for their kind of hybrid you know. It was like Chinese food designed for Mexicans essentially, but we're kind of we're kind of known for it throughout Mexico because such a large community of immigrants lived there. And there was this other room that shared a wall with the jail cell, which was the room that I worked, and it was where I had like a character in a scene and it was a small room. It was all brick, really low ceiling, no windows, only one door to get in, and towards the back of the room it was lined with these like large shelves, like wall to wall shelves ceiling to floor, and we play. We put like a mirror up on the shelves, and there was a well, or like not a well, it was like an opening to the underground of the building. But we were never allowed in there because it was it was so old and it apparently it was like a really really deep.
Speaker 1: Cellar, so we weren't dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why we never ever went in. And it was the closure was made out of like cement, so like you needed multiple people to even lift it. So I never went in there. But there was like an underground portion and on top of that, like some that cement block that was blocking the entrance to the cellar. They built a wooden box that was meant to be like a music box for this specific scene. So there was a music box, this really ornate mirror placed on top of the shelves to the back, and then the audience would stand on the opposite wall looking towards the shelves the mirror in the box, and I would do my scene there every night, and uh, I think one night it was it was like a group of my cousins. And then another night a group of friends went to the haunt and both groups, who neither of them know each other, later would would I would ask them like, oh, what did you think? What was it? Blah blah blah, And they were like, oh, my god, your room was like the scariest love this will love that. And they were and they said, both groups said this, they said, and the bodies on the walls were so creepy. Wow. Yeah. And and the thing was the room was only lit by a strobe, uh, and the shelves on the walls would cast a lot of shadows and things. So I always am I when when both groups told me, is I just saw like, oh, like, you know, the shells must just be casting a shadow on the wall behind them kind of situation. You know, it's a strobe in a dark room. It's so easy to see gnarly shadows. And you know, and and when people are like in a haunt and they're scared already, you know, naturally they're going to find things in the shadows, so I kind of brushed it off and thought of it as whatever. But yeah, both groups said, you know, the the bodies on the walls, which were the you know, the ones on you know, on the on the shelf side where they were facing where I was standing, so cut too, and a lot of other people had experiences. I can't remember much, but kind of like the typical like, oh I felt someone touch me or breathe. I mean, that's that sort of experience. But sometime later in the season, in the same season, when I was still working in this room, I talked to the producer of Maddi's Rubio, who's still a very very good friend of mine who I still work with, and I started asking her just about the building, because she had been working in it for a year already, and she started telling me about when she arrived, when she found the building, and when she decided to rent it for this hunt, and telling me about it, and she started sharing all these like really unerving things about you know, now it makes sense what happened there. But she said, you know, when we found the building, we walked into the restaurant. It had been abandoned for twenty plus years at this point, we went into like the dining room area, and there was like remnants of what was rotting food on the plates where people were sitting, and.
Speaker 1: So twenty year rotting food.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So her take is that for whatever reason, they had to vacate the building quickly, and that's why it was closed up. So like people were dining when they were asked to leave and the building was sealed up because there was still food on the plates. There was like cards and trades. Well it guess better, okay, So uh, they started like diving deeper into the building and seeing the different rooms and seeing what was inside them. So apparently the place was vacated like instantly, you know, in a second. So everything was never a good thing. Yeah, So things were just like dropped and left where they were. So they found like the jail cell in the back, they found like clothes, like people's items, and then in an office room in this like closet space, they found hundreds of letters written in Chinese that were supposed to be delivered to China that were never sent. So my guess is that a lot of Chinese immigrants were probably forced to work there and were being kept there. So I think it was kind of like a slave labor situ where people were living in the building. They were probably punished in the jail cell if they, you know, didn't do what it was asked of them. And all these letters that they had tried to probably send to like their friends and family back home, were never sent.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I my guess is this building was probably condemned because you know, they were they you know, they the government whoever, you know, the police discovered what was happening on, and the building was was kind of condemned. But this is a nerving thing, going back to the room with the walls, with the bodies hanging out on the walls and the shelves. This was during the season when I found out that the building had probably housed a lot of you know, slave laborers in the sixties and seventies. And I was sitting in the room, and I was sitting on the music box, and I was facing away from the wall where the audience stands and kind of looking at the shelves, which is what they see when they're standing in the room. And I was looking at the shelves and I was kind of I was thinking about everything. The producer had told me, and I thought about what these people told me about, like, oh, like the bodies on the walls, and then it kind of it kind of dawned on me that the shelves in the room weren't shelves. They were barracks where people slept.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: And so whether they did or didn't see you know, bodies on the walls, you know, is up to the audience to decide. You know, I won't know because I never saw it, but it kind of makes sense that, you know, it sounds like they saw people sleeping in barracks. You know.
Speaker 1: Well, what's so interesting is that, like you didn't see them, but when it was like action, like go, time lights up, there's an audience they like popped out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, And it's it's strange because it was two different sets of people who were unrelated. Yeah, they both saw the same thing. So that left me really innervous.
Speaker 1: That's a ghost. How can how? I don't know how anyone could be a skeptic. That is a goes you know.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is, I worked in haunts for so many years, and people get so scared they see all kinds of things that aren't there. But it unnerves me and it made me. It kind of frightened me, and it made me a little sad also because it seemed like everything that was, everything that anyone ever saw, always went back to just you know, people suffering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean a lot of it is a lot of the spookiest stuff is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was very unnerving, and I've always I forgot about it. I was leading up to doing this podcast. I remember that I had completely forgotten about about.
Speaker 1: The barracks a good one.
Speaker 2: And they're not there. The barracks were removed some years later, but yeah, that was this.
Speaker 1: Does this company still work there at that place?
Speaker 2: It's funny. Last year was the first year that they didn't work in that in that space anymore.
Speaker 1: But now being Mexican, do you are you a superstitious person? Because I like, there's so many superstitions.
Speaker 2: There's so many superstitions and revolving around Han I learned so many of them. I was never superstitious, but I worked around very superstitious people, and there were a lot of very like one of my favorites, I thought it was I don't know, I thought it was kind of beautiful, but a lot of actors were encouraged to wear a red satin ribbon or tied around their waist in a not underneath their costumes. And this was supposed to protect you from any sort of negativity, because the thing is, when, like you said right now, like when you're acting, when you're in a space like that and you're acting, you're kind of embodying a lot of the feelings and emotions of hate and dread and fear and sadness, and and I think a lot of actors believe that that could open them up to, you know, kind of like spiritually damaging themselves because they're operating and they're working in a space where really awful things actually happened. So a lot of them would wear a red ribbon, you know, underneath their costume. For many years, we had I forget, I forget what we used to call it, but there was a chant that the audience would have to recite before going into the haunt, and they would be taken blindfolded into a room and we would have a ton of real instruments and there would just be like live, gnarled, fucked up music playing and they would be asked to recite this poem that you know it was. It's so many years ago, I can't but it was somewhere along the lines of I respect the space, I respect my body, and I respect what happens here, and I won't take any of it, you know with me and a lot of people, including the actors, felt very protected by that and very safe by that, and a lot of actors wouldn't really work without, you know, doing some kind of kind of chant or poem or something before going into the house as a means of like protecting themselves. And I always thought that was really that was really interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, were you raised religious at all?
Speaker 2: I was raised Catholic. I looked out my parents weren't super religious, but they were. They were Catholic.
Speaker 1: So Catholics are the ones I always believe in ghosts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, you know, I'm telling you I want to believe, and you know, maybe I do a little bit, or otherwise I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: You just need to have a real good you need to have a ghost just and.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm so open to it. I really I wish it would happen, you know what. I think a part of me wants to believe so badly because I dread the idea of their not being anything after this life. I dread the idea, but I think I also believe that that's possible as well, and I don't want it to be I don't want that to I don't want this life, you know, to be it and for it to be over and for you know, the rest of existence to just be like unconscious darkness. That's that's well, See, it's really sad.
Speaker 1: I think you go on to the next one.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: That's my opinion or what I believe. But I also think that a lot of times, like you said, ghosts are the result of dread and horrific events and unfinished business. And I think that if you're lingering around, it's like it's sad, you know, if you're still here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is, it is sad. I think for me, it's just becomes a testament to it's not over. And that's why I just I really really want to believe it. And I really really hope that the things I've seen are experienced or secondhand experience through other people are real.
Speaker 1: You know, what about like the Evil Eye? You don't believe in that.
Speaker 2: I don't know as much about the Evil Eye. Tell me a little bit about that I've heard about it's funny, and I mean, we have like an evil eye in Mexico, But I don't know if that's that's what I'm talking.
Speaker 1: About, Like I have Mexican relatives that that's their believe it or like my dad, I remember my dead time, my grandmother would talk about, oh, that person gave you the evil eye, and now you got to take an egg and you put it in a cup of water underneath your bed, and then when you crack the egg. I don't know, it's a whole thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so, it is the same. It's like evil eye is like it's when someone gives you a look and they kind of yeah, yeah, totally, okay, yeah yeah. I mean I've I've certainly cast the evil eye on man.
Speaker 1: You better believe I've got a red ribbon around my waist right now, a thick.
Speaker 2: Six inch satin ribbon lined in like teflon.
Speaker 1: Honey, I knew you were coming. I respect my body, I respect my space.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Well, I don't know if I believe in it? Do you believe in it?
Speaker 1: I Mean, that's not one that I think about all the time, but I do. I mean, I feel like I'm pretty open to the spiritual realm, and I I protect myself from people with dark energy. I don't necessarily. I've never encountered someone that I feel is like possessed by a demon and genuinely like other worldly evil. I've never encountered that it's possible that it could exist. I don't. I don't doubt that. But yeah, I think, I think sometimes if you it's important to put a guard up and not let those let people suck your soul. You know, I said a drag for two seconds, okay, refrain, but uh, yeah, I mean, I'm I'm superstitious. I know there's so many Mexican superstitions because there's also like, what is it you put a broom behind your door?
Speaker 2: Oh you mean you mean like almost like the the like the wives Tales type superstition. Yeah, yeah, yeah, No, I never really got into the All of mine were more based around the paranormal because that's what I grew up in, was in like a paranormal and like theater and in the two kind of clashing and haunted houses. But oh my god, there's so many wacky, wacky superstitions that I just can't get behind. And I was raised around well.
Speaker 1: I had a boyfriend that was from Mexico and I would whistle songs at home at night and he said, you don't, you know, allowed to whistle in the house at night because you can bring I don't know if this is specifically a Mexican thing or if he just didn't like my whistling, but he said that that's how you can conjure up demons into your home.
Speaker 2: You know what? You know one that I do actually experience, which you know, it's again, it's that it's that battle between like science versus paranormal is. You know, in Spanish we call it queos at the muerto, which means when when the dead man climbs on you, which is sleep paralysis essentially, when when you feel someone on top of you while you're sleeping, you open your eyes and you can't move. Do you ever experience sleep paralysis?
Speaker 1: Now? We talk about it almost every episode. I I have never had one. I I mean, I'm not a super religious person, but I kind of do my version of praying every night that it does not happen to me. It sounds terrifying, and yeah, luckily no, I never have.
Speaker 2: Have you I have I have actually have a little story about that one.
Speaker 1: Well, the question I always ask people that I've had it, do you sleep on your back? I?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do sleep on my back.
Speaker 1: See that's the thing.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing. But here's the thing. I only experience it if I turn over during the night and I'm sleeping on my side, and that's when it happens to me.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm full on face, like puddle of drool. I will not move because of it. Wow, So what happened to you? You genuinely had a sleep It's happened more than once.
Speaker 2: Or it's happened more than once, and it's the same. When it happens, I see the same thing. You know. Some people see different things. Some people don't see things at all. Some people. You know, mine, Mine is consistent and it's always the same. And I started. I only experience it two three times a year. It's not often, it's often enough. It sucks when it happens. But the first time it happened, I didn't even know what sleep prowless is was and it really freaked me out. But all I sleep on my back and then during the sometimes I'll turn to my side. And when I experienced sleep, Prolyssis, I'll wake up. I'll be on my side, and I have a I have a I have a double sized bed, so it's not super big, so I'm relatively close to the edge of the bed when I'm sleeping, and I'll be on my side. I'll open my I'll open my eyes and as you know, and sleep, prolyssies. You your your eyes are open and you're conscious, but you have no control of your body. You're just kind of limp. You can't control it. And all I see is a man standing up to the edge of my bed. And because I'm an old man, like a very very elderly man in a suit and because he's that.
Speaker 1: Think he's a suit on.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, but wait, it gets it gets it gets even sexier. Okay, because he's so close to my bed, I can't see his face or the upper part of his body. All I see or his hands, and he's like clasping his hands in front of me. And his hands are it's just really pale and modeled and kind of fucked top, like it's like they are dead man's hands, Like I can tell they're dead man's hands.
Speaker 1: And where's like he just doesn't have a face, or you can't move your eyes to see it.
Speaker 2: I can't move my eyes. I'm just like I'm looking straight forward and all i can see are his hands. That he's right up against my bed, right up to the edge, and that he's wearing a suit. And he doesn't move. He just stands there. And every time it happens, it freaks me out because he's so close to me. Oftentimes people will see shadows like in the corners of their room or things like that. Yeah, some people even feel things on top of them. I've never felt anything like that. He's just like so close to me, but not moving or saying anything.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's go back. There's a man with dead hands and no face that hangs out by your bed sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm guessing he has a face. I just I can never look up to see it. I just I see his hands and he's very old.
Speaker 1: Do you have a name for him?
Speaker 2: I don't actually never give give him him a name.
Speaker 1: When you have sleep brows, is you can't talk right, you can't be like.
Speaker 2: You can't you can know because like you can try your best to scream. That's what most people try to do, is they try to scream and you just you can't.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I honestly have not yet heard a story like this with like the same man every time.
Speaker 2: But wait, okay, So I did a Hulu gig a couple of weeks back where it was like an experience kind of situation where they showed us like it was like horror themed and they showed us like short films and things like that. But there was a part of the experience there where they had us consult with, like individually consult with the psychic and mind you, she wasn't like being all hokey or like, she wasn't in like the psychic costume with like her Like, no, it wasn't that. Like it was this very like average looking like middle aged woman and like a cute sweater and like some jeans. Like she was super chill, she was super nice, and she was also re tarot as she was like doing readings and stuff. And so when I went with her again, mind you, like, I'm I I want to believe really badly, but I don't know if I do. But you can trust that, you know, whatever I tell you, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm not making the most ridiculous thing ever there's a man that hangs out by your bed and you don't know that you believe that that's what do you think? What do you think that that is? Do you see see the dream?
Speaker 2: No, but see the difference between say like seeing a ghost when you're fully awake, or like experience something paranormal. You know, the differences that sleep paralysis has been scientifically studied, and like it's it's very it's it's very very explainable. That's why for me, it's never been something you know, per se paranormal.
Speaker 1: So what do you with your with your science? What do you so you think that that's just like a manifestation in your brain of something, or.
Speaker 2: It's it's almost it's it's almost like you're dreaming awake because you aren't fully awake. So you know, here's the way I see it. If there is anything her normal revolving around a sleep paralysis, I think it may happen because you're just in a very vulnerable state. You're in a very very vulnerable state when you're experienced sleep paralysis. So that's the way I see it. If if if there is anything paranormal you know, surrounding that. But anyway I did this Hulu thing and I had the psychic and you know, I pulled the cards, she laid them.
Speaker 1: Out, and.
Speaker 2: It was kind of shocking. I again, I went into actually very poker faced and very very skeptical because I was like, where do they They're like where. Also, it was in Las Vegas. So when they tell you, oh, we're gonna pair you with a psychic in Vegas, you know, immediately I was like.
Speaker 1: Was I just like a craps table or something they're black track. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was actually at like Circus Circus. It was like a clown. I like that. I like the buffet and I was like, oh, my gosh, she's gonna read my cards? Are but is she? She read my cards? And it was actually again and kind of unnerving the things that she said because she, my guess was going into the experience was Oh, she's gonna be very vague or she's going to say things that could universally apply to so many people. I'm gonna go in super poker face and.
Speaker 1: See how she does.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like that gave her as little information about me, actually no information about me. I was just like, Hi, my name is Vander Hi, my name so and so pulled the cards. That was it. First of all, she was The first thing she said was like, oh, like, there's someone you love very very very much, and there's also like a third person in this equation, but they're not a problem, which is very interesting. I'm in an open relationship and my partner has a boyfriend who he lives with. So she said that, and I stayed pretty poker faced, and I was like, okay, yeah, yeah, that's valid. You know, she kind of clocked my open relationship. She then said, there's also this, this and this and this and that and blah blah blah blah blah, and share out of respect for my partner. But it wasn't anything involving specifically us. It was just kind of like drama out in the universe that kind of happened to clash with us at the time. And it was very very specific and very very spot on.
Speaker 1: That's what it's like, he has to do. They have to tell you right off the bat, they have to prove themselves to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was like, okay, like fair. She said other things, mostly more along the lines of advice, not so much reading, more like advice in regards to the relationship, and then she asked me about it, and I was like, oh, yeah, like I'm in an open relationship. I have a partner, he has a boyfriend. But we're all very very friendly. We got along great. Like it's a it's a great situation. So yeah, and she was like, oh, okay, that's you know, that's exactly what that was. And then this was this was the kicker that kind of like cracked my poker face. She goes she was like looking at some other cards and like she kind of stopped for a second and she was like, there's an old man in your dreams and he really scares he doesn't he? I kid you not, And like my face cracked. I was like, and I think she saw it, and she's like that that's that's the thing, right, And I was like, yeah, like I have sleep paralysis and I always see this old man and he just scares the shit out of me.
Speaker 1: Did she know who this man is?
Speaker 2: No, she didn't know. She just said she was just like, there's there's an old man and he scares you a lot, and he's in your dreams a lot. And she didn't I was no, she couldn't share who who he was or anything. She was just like I just I just know there's an old man.
Speaker 1: Wow, the Las Vegas jeans psychic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what the fuck? Yeah? And also that's just it's that is so specific, Like that is so terribly specific. How does you know? You don't you don't guess that?
Speaker 1: Okay, but you still are a skeptic a little bit.
Speaker 2: I want to believe I'm again, I'm not a skeptic as so much as I'm open to the possibility. Okay, after that experience, I haven't experienced sleep proless since, but I think next time I do will be a little bit differently, because now there's there's reason to believe that it's something more than sleep prolesses.
Speaker 1: Wait, we need to, like, okay, I love a follow up episode, So we need to work on this so that we can get answers from this man.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 1: What about if you like wrote on a piece of paper like who are you? Please talk to me? Something like that, post it next to your bed and see what happens.
Speaker 2: What if tomorrow, like you, you log into Facebook and there's like news that I've been strangled in my sleep or something like that, I will be.
Speaker 1: The Queen of spooky Just kidding. No, well, you should leave some hand cream out for him.
Speaker 2: Some poor Solana from the eighties.
Speaker 1: I want to know who this man is, why there has to be a reason why he is.
Speaker 2: I remember she did say he's not trying to hurt you.
Speaker 1: She did say that he must be an ancestor.
Speaker 2: Don't you think I've thought about it. I never met my grandpa. I've only seen a couple photos of him, and he was always in suits because it was like always formal occasions. So I've never known. But I can't see his face, so I just don't know. But that's the only like elderly man I can think of.
Speaker 1: Well, so you can only see like where his hands, like are his hands like where like out by his stomach or where they're kind of.
Speaker 2: Like if you just clapped your hand, clasped your hands together and just let them drop in front of you. That's the level that they're at. It's like a very relaxed kind of.
Speaker 1: Post right on the piece of paper, Like can you kneel next time so that you can see in that same direction his face.
Speaker 2: Oh see, now that's actually scary because his face is going to be so close to mine.
Speaker 1: Oh it's right next to you.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because I sleep in a double bed, so it's it's pretty small and one I'm lying on my side near the edge of the bed, so I mean his hands are made.
Speaker 1: Like God, I was in just a little old man face right next to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing. His hands are only like a foot and change away from my face. Like, I don't know if I want to have his face that close to me. That's actually really scary because like what if I don't recognize him, what if it's someone I don't know. And the thing is like I've moved that this has only happened to me in La and I've moved twice while I've been here, and I've had the same sleep paralysis in different apartments and things like that, so like it's not linked to anywhere I was staying. It has it has something to do with me.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's one of your fans that saw you in an airport. They're coming to stock you.
Speaker 2: I don't know what little little old eighty year old.
Speaker 1: Man he might love, dragu Lad You know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I I would love to know it. But also I don't know if I really want to see his face that close to me.
Speaker 1: That's actually really too cloy. I don't see anybody's close face.
Speaker 2: And the thing is, it's not like I see it for like he's there for a while, like sleep paralysis. Usually my sleep proalyssies will last anywhere from like thirty seconds to a minute. So that's like a full minute that I'm seeing his hands.
Speaker 1: I don't like, Oh so you can see every vein and cracked and everything. Do you does he can you like, does he look like a human or can you see through him?
Speaker 2: No, he looks fully human. I can just tell that his hand and you know, it's fine. Like the hands remind me a little bit of like I don't know if you've ever like seen a body at a wake, the way they're positioned in the coffin in their hands are kind of held in front of them over their stomach like that, Like that's what it kind of looks like. And that's what I've always thought of it as, is that it kind of looks like someone at a wake just like standing up.
Speaker 1: Though, but you can't tell that he's like breathing, like what if he's just like he's going completely still.
Speaker 2: He's completely still, but he looks solid. He doesn't look like a ghost.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm so scared.
Speaker 2: And that's why I don't want to see his face. I know, face to you. I hadn't even thought of like requesting to see his face, but now that thought's in my mind. So what if it happens because the thoughts in my mind and that's all your fault.
Speaker 1: No, well, listen, if he's not like breathing and stuff, at least you won't have to have old man ghost breath because ghosts breadth is one thing, but old man ghost breath breathing in your face in the middle of the night.
Speaker 2: Old man corpse ghost bread.
Speaker 1: Who knows how long he's been dead?
Speaker 2: I oh no. And it's like an older looking gray suit. It doesn't look like a like a like a very contemporary or modern suit.
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. All I can think of is my grandpa.
Speaker 1: I will make him something, make him an outfit.
Speaker 2: Hmm. And you know what's funny. I do have some of my grandpa's clothes with me too. My dad gave me some of his, like jackets and stuff.
Speaker 1: We heard a story one time that a listener repeatedly was seeing their at least one I don't remember, but they did see their grandfather's ghost at the foot of their bed wearing a suit, and they had actually owned that suit and they had it in their cloth, which I thought was so interesting because it's like, the clothes are not the glows are still on this earth in the closet, yet you're seeing a spirit wearing that same It's like the ghost of clothes that are still alive. I don't know whatever, it's just a ghost.
Speaker 2: Think about. That's just a drag queen thing that like will my will my ghost, like my clothes ghosts travel with me into the beyond. Well, that's what I like, being able to wear this fifty pound wig on my head.
Speaker 1: What I'm doing exactly, Well, I wonder constantly about I always bring up cost players, like cosplayer ghosts. They could be from any you know, you could really throw people off because you could be a ghost wearing a colonial outfit but you you know, died five years ago. So people might be like, there's an old colonial woman. But it's really just like a teenager. But you imagine what you would you could do as a ghost. You would be the scary.
Speaker 2: There's like a bald gremlin haunting this building.
Speaker 1: No, No, I'm saying like, if you have on would you choose to be in your full on drag? The teeth, the contacts that make up, the blood, the guts, all of it.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, absolutely. I mean I feel most powerful when i'm when I'm in drag, So I can totally see how you know. If I were experience you on Earth, I would have a blast scaring the shit out of people.
Speaker 1: No, you would truly be terrifying. Imagine someone seeing like I mean is gorgeous and amazing and artistic and everything as your looks are. If I woke up and I saw that next to my bed some of the looks that you pull, I would I would never know.
Speaker 2: B You're gonna see my clawed hands clasp tight next to you when I die. If I go first, you'll be the first person I'll go to.
Speaker 1: No, okay, you want to listen to some ghost voices?
Speaker 2: Oh? Are we gonna listen ghost voices?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: From where?
Speaker 1: Okay? It is time for EVP or ev please?
Speaker 2: Oh wow?
Speaker 1: Do you know what EVP is?
Speaker 2: It's electronic voice phenomenon or something.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, so it's when ghost hunters catch a voice on audio recording and I want you to guess what this ghost is saying.
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, sometimes they're an EVP and sometimes it's ev Please, now, I just want you to guess what the ghost hunter believes that it's said, or you can say what you think it says. It's up to you. But what we're gonna have you guess is specifically what the ghost hunter believes it said. Now. Both of these are from the Whaley House in San Diego.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've been.
Speaker 1: Have you been to the Whalehouse?
Speaker 2: I've been.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no paranormal experiences. No.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean when it's broad daylight and you're in a group of thirty people walking through the house that's been like glazed with industrial paint so that it stands until the end of time, it kind of like it kills the spook factor.
Speaker 1: It's like a full on diorama, Like there's like scenes, you know, behind glass.
Speaker 2: It almost doesn't feel real anymore. It feels like like you know, when you go to Disneyland and everything has that really shiny protective coating on it, Like the whole house is bathed in that. So it just doesn't feel like a real house anymore. It feels like it feels like a toy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I've been there twice and I have not had any parallem experiences. But they say it's one of the most haunted places in the country or a world or something. Okay, so this first one comes from a person on YouTube named Brian Rogers, and they heard a ghost at the Whaley House say.
Speaker 2: This, could you play that one more time?
Speaker 1: Oh, gladly, we'll do it again.
Speaker 2: Girl. That sounds like someone like that sounds like someone two blocks away. That sounds like someone.
Speaker 1: Outside, someone outside. I know it.
Speaker 2: Just it sounds like a very very clear voice that was said very very far away. To me. It doesn't sound like something that was inside. But what did they think? What did they think? They were saying, Well, let's.
Speaker 1: Hear it one more time, and I want just give me.
Speaker 2: A Okay, it sounds like four words, could you play one more time? It almost sounds like the first or the second part might be help help me. It sounds repetitive, like help me, help me.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure that's what I was thinking. Okay, is it a come in B how could you c help me? Or d I'll kill you here we go.
Speaker 2: No, it actually sounds more like i'll kill you. It almost sounds like three words. Yeah, but there's like a little bit of like a it almost sounds like there's a fourth word at the.
Speaker 1: End, I'll kill you, bitch.
Speaker 2: Work, I'll take that, I'll kill you bitch.
Speaker 1: No, they actually think it says come in, come in, come in. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It totally sounds like there's more words than just come in.
Speaker 1: I know, it's hard, it's hard to guess, but it does sound like they caught something for sure. Yeah, Okay, now there is here's another one. This one is now from Colleen Rose, and it's at the Whaleyhouse and they believe this is the ghost of Yankee Jim Robinson, who was a man that got hung on the property because he stole a row boat. And this was actually before the Whaley family moved in, And so I think people believe that the Whaley because the Whaley family experienced paranormal while they live there. So it's been and they haunt it now, and so some of the members. So it's been haunted for a long time, and this is like an old ghost. This is a Yankee Jim Robinson.
Speaker 2: So incredibly specific identification of a dead being.
Speaker 1: I know, but it starts out with you're gonna hear some ghost hunters talking, okay, and then and then you'll hear something yanked Jim. Do you want to go out for a beer?
Speaker 2: You want to go out for a whiskey?
Speaker 1: I have that cigar with me?
Speaker 2: Do you want to go outside?
Speaker 1: Here? It is, that's literally I just wanted to give you some context. Beer, okay, sort of a whispery? Yeah, terrible play yankee Jim again.
Speaker 2: It literally sounds like he just went, eh, I know, like, do you want to go out for a beer or a whiskey? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, here's some options. Is it a let's get tipsy? B? Did you say whiskey? See? Do you want to kiss me? Or do I like my chicken crispy? Oh? Wait?
Speaker 2: There was more. All I'm hearing is that, Like you know, it's this one's tricky because there's someone clearly talking in the background, So like, how do you decipher between the person talking in the background and it was? Okay, play it again. I'm gonna try. I was only hearing that sound. That's like I thought that's what the EVP was.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's listen. Apparently even more, Yeah, you're hearing the mat but it's like a bet.
Speaker 2: But through the whole thing, you can hear someone like when the when the ghost. When these people are like talking, you can hear someone in the background talking.
Speaker 1: There is probably somebody else there, but they're what they're picking up on.
Speaker 2: Is let's see go again. Oh I hear it. Oh my god. And literally sounds like the word crispy.
Speaker 1: I know, I think that this ghost things there at Popeyes.
Speaker 2: Oh, he wants that she can sandwich. That's what I can only decipher the word crispy. It sounds so much like the word crispy.
Speaker 1: It's did you say whiskey? That's what they believe, so funny, like in the context where they're like whiskey like, and then he goes, did you say whiskey?
Speaker 2: Listen, she's a whiskey girl.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I can totally hear. It's so much longer than I talk.
Speaker 1: You say whiskey?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, I can totally hear it.
Speaker 1: Oh that interesting.
Speaker 2: That actually sounds whisky. Actually sounds like like someone might have said that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's spooky stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I was wondering if you could help me with some advice that one of our listeners of the show was won.
Speaker 2: Oh oh this is fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it might be interesting coming from you as a person that believes in science a little skeptical.
Speaker 2: Don't pin me is that bitch. I did not come here to be pinned as the scientist.
Speaker 1: So okay, this comes from Jen. She wrote this in our Facebook group ghosted by ros Dress Phyllis. Jen says, So, I was hoping to get some feedback about something I've been wanting to do for a while. One of my grandparents' houses was totally haunted. No one wanted to be in the hallway without a light on or by themselves. Windows and doors would open by themselves, and even beds levitated. That's scary. The house in question isn't in the family anymore, and I've always wondered if the activity continued after our family left. Is there a good way to approach the current occupants to find out without scaring them or weirding them out too much. I'd totally go up and ask the people that live there now if I had a plan of action, mostly just not making things too weird for the current occupants. So I thought i'd ask my fellow booze for your opinions. Any tactful suggestions. What do you think, vander.
Speaker 2: Vaughn add I think the best way to approach something like that, because the thing is if you like physically approach them, that can be a little intimidating. I would probably just do an old school and write a letter and just word it.
Speaker 1: Carefully, anonymous letter, and just leave it in the.
Speaker 2: Oh no, with a return address. I want an answer, bitch, they haunt you or not? Yeah, like or maybe even like if you don't want them to know your address or where you live, even just take out like a po box for like a month or something like that, you know, like send them a letter, be like, hey, like I used to live there or here, or my family used to live here. These were some of the things we experienced, and I was just really curious if this is something that you've experienced while you've been here, and maybe omit the part about the levitating beds and stuff, because like you also want to you I think you want to word it in a way where even if they are skeptical, they'll want to get back to you and be like yes or no, nothing has happened here. Since I feel like when things get a little bit like too extreme like that people will be quick to knock it off as like, oh, this is someone messing with me, or this is a joke, or this is someone trying to prank.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's it's really hard because some people, I mean I talk to people constantly just out in the real world. Hey, I get out of the house a bit, and I'll bring up ghosts, and every once in a while I'll encounter someone that's like that shit's all fake, Like they get real pissed. Yeah, people sometimes really get like just almost like in a way that people get politically where it's like don't take my guns, like that kind of shit, where it's just like, don't try to you know, tell me that that's true, which I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's that same kind of like bitter, hateful reaction that like vegan people will get, like I don't know that many pushy vegans. I think that's just like this, there's like a stereotype that exists similar to like, oh, like people who believe in the paranormal, they're are like any little wisp of air and they think they're haunted. Like, I think that stereotype does exist, And so when people talk about.
Speaker 1: It, because all wisps of air are goes.
Speaker 2: Well, we are when you're drawing cross dress fuls and you're leaving a hotel with Johnny Reinhart at three in the morning because you got Yeah, but no, I totally know what you're talking about where people just like eye roll, you know, and they're really rude about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so somebody could get very offended. So that is a tricky question. I like your idea, though, I mean, to get a full peel box. I mean, that's a whole inchilada.
Speaker 2: But that's just like me getting like not wanting to give my address out to anyone for the same reason, like fans will send me weird shit. But I mean, if you want to protect your identity, you're not take out a po box aim a letter. Worst thing that could happen is they won't answer or they won't get back to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I actually, I mean I'm very curious. I would be very curious, like did this happen, like if your bed's been levitating, like.
Speaker 2: Well I would I would. I'd also just ask like if you have experienced, like what have you experienced and then maybe based on their follow up letter, if they're like yet if they're like, yes, things have been happening this and that, I think that's the cue to move forward and really share like the extent of the experience that they had in.
Speaker 1: The maybe meet each other, do some coffee. Yeah, that's great. Well that concludes this week's episode. Vander. I'm so happy you came here.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. I've been excited to do this. I never got to talk about real spooky thing.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, well you you really brought it today. I mean I was honestly like, God's not like spooky and like.
Speaker 2: I know, she's always in those fucking blonde wits. She's always just like that a grandeng and just damn.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'm so happy that you did this. Tell people where to find you.
Speaker 2: You can find me on Instagram at Vander von Odd or insta celebrity, or also on my YouTube channel Vander von Odd or my website vander vonodd dot com, where you can find my prints and my merch and occasionally when I make custom art pieces they go up on there as well. So you find me there.
Speaker 1: Yay, Sae, I told you that is one spooky bitch right there. Vander. Go check out Van especially Vanders Instagram. I mean, we're talking in celebrity and for good reason. Vander is like just one of the most incredible artists that you visual artists through the medium of drag. It's incredible, So go check them out. Guys. We still have some tickets left for the live show on the twenty first of January. I am so excited for We had a blast last time. It completely sold out last time. So get those tickies now. You can get them at Cavernclubtheater dot com or you can go to my Instagram and the link is in the bio. All right, So all the things I want to tell you about I want you to give me five stars on Apple Podcasts if you can tell a couple of friends about the show. We're about to enter a new year and we're gonna take over the place. I can't wait for twenty twenty. This is our year. This is going to be the year of Ghosted. I'm calling it right now. That's what my psychic impulses are telling me. So please spread the word of Ghosted. Follow me on Instagram at Roz Dress Falaes. I'm on cameo Roz Dress fales. I've got the Facebook group i'd like you to join called Ghosted by Roz Dress Fales a great place to share ghost stories. And I want to do some more listener episode. So if you have a ghost story and you would like to be on a listener episode, please send me an email Ghosted by Roz at gmail dot com and just put in the headline listener episode and hopefully we can work that out. I love you guys. I hope you all have a fabulous New Year. I will see you in twenty twenty. I love you all, both living and dead. But if I didn't ask you to haunt me, don't haunt me, okay?
Speaker 2: Back star than a
Speaker 1: Podcast a podcast network