Speaker 1: Look Out's only films to be buried with Judgment Day. Hello, and welcome to films to be buried with Judgment Day. My name is Brett Goldstein. I'm a comedian and actor, writer, director, a beatboxer, and I love films. As Maggie Rogers once said, the cracks are where the light gets in, which is sort of like holes, which is like they're digging into the path until something good finally shines through or something like that. Anyway, thanks for the perspective, Maggie. Every week I'm in a special guest over. I tell them they've died. Then I get them to discuss their life through the films that men the most of them.
Speaker 2: But not today. Today is Judgment.
Speaker 1: Day and Sean McLachlin is back for one chance to prove why I should send him to one place, heaven or Hell. All episodes of Shrinking Seasons one and two are now available on Apple TV. Get caught up on the whole seasons. You'll fucking love it. You will head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com, forward slash breat gouldst Team, where you get extra twenty minutes with Sean. We talk secrets, we talk all sorts of other things. You get the whole episode uncut, Adfrey, and there's a video check it out over at patreon dot com.
Speaker 2: Forward slash Breck Gulds Team.
Speaker 1: So Sean mclochlin's back for the third time for his Judgment Day. You love Sean. I love Sean. He's an amazing stand up He's brilliant at everything. Check out all his stand up specials if you can. We recorded this on Zoom very recently. It was a real pleasure to see him again. And I really think you're gonna love this one. So that is it for now. I very much hope you enjoy episode three hundred and thirty eight of Films to be Buried with Judgment Day. Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried with Judgment Day.
Speaker 2: I am joined today for the third time.
Speaker 1: Actor, a writer, a podcaster, a supporter, a headliner, a stadium comedian, an arena comedian, the greatest comedian who has ever played a venue of three hundred million people. He's here. I can't believe it. He's one of my favorites. Please welcome back to the show. It's the amazing, it's the wonderful. It's Sean mc Lachlan. Hello, everyone, How are we? How are you Brett? I'm good, Thank you for having me. How are you, Sean?
Speaker 2: I'm good man.
Speaker 3: I was really curious to know how you'd play the intro this time, because I think I've got to be the least famous person who's ever appeared on this podcast, let alone who's appeared on it three times.
Speaker 1: So I really appreciate you having me back. That speaks to your talent and how one you are listen for someone who thinks he's not famous. You've probably played to more people than anyone else on this podcast, other than perhaps Ricky Gervas, who you open for.
Speaker 2: Do you still open for him? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I do some opening for him. I do a lot of gigs. I've opened for a lot of people, which is nice. So yeah, I guess I've played to a lot of people. Some of my jokes have been heard by a lot of people that I wrote that legally I'm not allowed to talk about. Yeah, yeah, I guess. So, yeah, you're a sort of culture changer. I wouldn't go that far. I really wouldn't go that far.
Speaker 1: I'd say people talk about your stuff about knowing it's your stuff all around the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'm banksy. Is this a good way? Is this a good way to announce that?
Speaker 1: I think I keep I'm going to keep bringing back until you finally admit, how have you been?
Speaker 2: I haven't seen you in a while.
Speaker 3: Do you know what, man, I'm really good. Actually I'm still living in London. It's cold, but I'm very happily married and I'm enjoying my work and my life.
Speaker 2: And that's it. Really.
Speaker 3: I think I think I've reached a nice, mellow, simmering phase of my existence, Brett, where nothing much changes and I'm sort of okay with that.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about your new tour, your last I believe the last time when we talked about your last stand up show special, I think it's one of the all term greats.
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: How did you feel doing a new one? Were you stressed? We be like, how do I top that? That was so good? Or do you just go one day at a time? Well, no, no, I'll tell you what happened, Brett.
Speaker 3: I did a tour in twenty twenty two and the special came out in twenty twenty three. But I didn't really enjoy the tour. I found a lot of the shows were all fine, but I felt it was very schizophrenic up and down in terms of sales and in terms of my own mental state. And in the sort of two years since then, or sort of two and a half years, I was working on a lot of fun things. I was working, like a lot of scripted things going, and are the writing jobs that I had that I had to sign NDAs for.
Speaker 2: I don't know why. I mean the ship project.
Speaker 1: That's probably because how you talk about it, please, you clearly have no.
Speaker 3: Respect for I worked on a TV show for like a like a big international TV show that I honestly think is what actually I actually think it's like a cultural low point for our speeches.
Speaker 2: Anyway, this is why you had decided I really wanted No.
Speaker 1: It was fine, I suppose, But the thing is, it's stand up.
Speaker 2: I didn't really know what I wanted to do with stand up.
Speaker 3: I knew I wanted to keep doing more stuff, and I really loved stand up, and I still love stand up, but it just I couldn't really see what.
Speaker 2: Was going to happen for me.
Speaker 1: A question, if I may, Yeah, the thing of you struggling on tour, was it the pressure of like ticket sales and organizing things and all of that, or was it actually doing the shows as well?
Speaker 2: That was not fair. I found all of it a bit much. I found all of that a bit much.
Speaker 3: And I suppose I would like to have thought that I'd reached a point where I wasn't to win over every single crowd I played all the time, and I clearly hadn't. It was the first time, probably in my life, I genuinely thought, I don't know if I'm going to keep doing this because I didn't need to.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was at a lucky point where I was getting other work.
Speaker 3: But what happened is I sort of regrouped and I decided, oh, I'm going to like self produce my tour. I'm going to book in all of my own previews, I'm going to book in loads of I mean, basically, I'm in complete control of my building up in my stand up career, and I wondered if I could do that on a sort of bigger scale.
Speaker 2: And so that's what this tour is.
Speaker 3: I'm sort of I've booked in all the venues, and I'm doing all the promotion, and I'm doing all the pr and it's I have found it a thoroughly rewarding experience, and I feel like stand up has an ability to completely destroy someone. But I feel quite nourished by this. Actually, I feel very close to my audience. I feel very close, and the sales have never been better, and my mental health has never been better. I feel like I was chasing something. Before I was always chasing things. I always felt like I was behind. I don't know if that's the feeling you understand.
Speaker 1: What was it you think you were chasing that you're that you're not.
Speaker 2: I don't really know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I always loved doing the shows and the tours, you know. I always sold okay and the shows went well. I enjoyed doing them. But I guess there was just I wish I probably should have thought about this before I came on the show. I just knew in my heart. I was like, I want to do something a bit different next time, and I think that there. I think it's possible now, you know, going it alone is very possible these days. Yeah, I didn't know whether I had it in me, but I'm glad I've given it a go, and as a result, actually I think the work is way better. I stand up is way better. I'm very happy with what I'm producing. I'm very happy with with where my head's at this because you're doing lots of stand up now, Brett, I mean, you are really hit that. And do you feel how are you feeling about it? Do you feel like a burnout or do you feel like you're just riding a wave and you're fine with it because the sales are good and you don't have to worry about that other stuff.
Speaker 1: I think, if I'm completely honest, I did this very very big, long tour in America, and once I settled into it after the first few I fucking loved it. I loved it. I really really loved it. I loved it all of it. I loved the travel, I loved the love doing the shows. And look, I've been very incredibly lucky the people's came, you know, I have not had that before, so people showing up is like exciting and I loved it, and I loved doing the sort of I always have a section at the end where I leave a box in the lobby for people to put questions in I don't see them, and then at the end I bring the box out and I do some of the questions.
Speaker 2: And improvise or whatever.
Speaker 1: So there's always like an exciting like this is only going to happen tonight sextion. Yeah, yeah, And I loved, love, loved it, and I had got to the only thing that happened is I started only very very towards the end, which surprised me. It took that long. But started to get slightly I think I've said these jokes enough, you know what I mean, Like, I think it's time to do a new show, and I would put in a new line here and there, but the show was pretty much the show. It changed a bit, but there were long sections of it that stayed this is it. So it got to the stage where it's like, it's time to end this tour because I want to start new, And then there is the terrifying starting new where you're like, but that's really good, the stuff that I honed over that whole year that became really really tight and really like jokes on jokes on jokes and callbacks and everything.
Speaker 2: And then suddenly you're like, just an.
Speaker 1: Idea, I just got an idea and doing new material gigs, but also my experiences new material gigs always the scariest, always my favorite. Maybe it's the thing you're talking about of where it is ninety percent of my experience that when I have a thought or an idea that I'm like, I can't say that that's stupid or that's mad, that's a mad thing to think anything I'm sort of wary of. I don't think I can try this. If I do it, it's usually the best bit. Yeah, you know what I mean. It's usually the bit it's like, yes, of course, and then and then you feel fucking great because you go, maybe I'm not completely insane or I am insane, but it doesn't matter, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I tell you what I found because I really because I almost decided after the twenty twenty two big year, because I still had loads of gigs in I still, you know, I was still a working comic, but I basically told myself, I am not going to write a joke for the next year, because I've been in this cycle of turning over an hour every year forever. I was like, I am not gonna I'm just gonna enjoy performing stuff that's gonna work and I'm not gonna worry about it.
Speaker 2: And I really did enjoy that.
Speaker 3: But The problem is the muscle of creating comedy of right and just is just atrify it.
Speaker 2: It's just gone.
Speaker 3: And so when I was trying to like go back to the gym and build myself up creatively, it took about six months for me to come up with anything good, and the doubts they percolate. But actually I feel like, really, I'm so grateful to have had that time off. And I don't know how much time you took between the end of that tour and saying that you wanted to do new knowing you you probably yeah, you probably probably booked a new material night.
Speaker 1: Ten minutes after the tour ended. I started to do new material of mid time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see I normally I've always been in that cycle myself. Yeah, But actually I realized for a long time, why isn't this working and why doesn't it feel right? Because I could deal with diagon my ass would do stuff. I can deal with it, it happens, but it's like, this feels different. And I realized this because I wasn't actually being myself in any way. I was doing an impression of who I was like five years ago. And if I've broken a cycle, which is gigging all the time and writing all the time, I've probably changed as a person and so maybe what I write needs to change as well.
Speaker 2: So I think that's true. That's true.
Speaker 3: Another reason why I'm really enjoying this is like I feel like I'm I've become a better comedian that I gave myself credit for.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, because it's the closely particularly your sort of thing, and I think that's very true, and we're being very sincere about stand up.
Speaker 2: I apologize, but yeah, I hate it.
Speaker 1: I've just realized I'm like, yeah, I hate it because also I am just doing different types of fart jokes. Yeah, listen, all my stuffs, but really clever, really clever.
Speaker 2: But that thing of I've.
Speaker 1: Had someone say to me, you used to do a bit blah blah blah that I'd forgotten, and I'm like, oh, I should do that again. And then I realized, I know, but I'm not that person. It's I'm the wrong. It doesn't make sense for me to do that anymore because I have changed slightly from then, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, like I don't remember writing that, but.
Speaker 1: Then there's also times where I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's such a complicated thing, really, But all I knew is just like I had a thing in.
Speaker 2: Me that was like, you know, are you sure?
Speaker 3: You just gotta You've got to do something a bit different than what you've done before, because clearly that's not working and you're not happy with the way things are, and you're having these meetings with big offices and none of it feels right.
Speaker 2: None of it feels right.
Speaker 1: If I like a pixel movie, it's just you meeting with big offices, just like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, John Ratzenberger plays the best office.
Speaker 2: It's a shame. Well, the thing is what's a shame.
Speaker 1: The only part that makes me said is that the tour you didn't enjoy and went sure about, I think is such a great show. I think it's a fantastic, brilliant, five star one of the great shows.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I've done the last two tours I did, which are the last two specials I did.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't complain.
Speaker 3: I got to write a show, I got to write loads of jokes and perform them for years, and I got to go around the world. So who's complaining All of this shit is in my head that I'm saying. It's all stuff that none of it's real.
Speaker 1: It's more stuff like I don't know, Like, oh, I'm Don Draper, but I want.
Speaker 2: To be Huckleberry Finn. It's like it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: But I took a bit of time off and I tried to assess the landscape of stand up and I thought, well, I'm going to try and do something else. It's one of those things where not being that successful is actually a positive because I have an avenue to actually do this. You know, what if I don't want to do five massive shows in a week. What if I want to do a tour where I do one show every ten days and that show is really special and that I love doing it, you would rather.
Speaker 2: Be Huckleberry Finn than Don Draper. I don't want to get hung up on this.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I know Huckleberry Finn that well.
Speaker 2: But I was trying to think of it.
Speaker 3: I was trying to think of a corporate person, and for some reason, all I thought of was Don Draper. I should have said soul stuff. Yeah, they're both troubled. They're both pretty troubled souls.
Speaker 1: Okay, for anyone still listening, I can only apologize for the sincerity in which We've talked about standa but.
Speaker 2: You know what I feel.
Speaker 1: You you know me anyway, Sean McLaughlin, you have died again.
Speaker 4: It is because it is judgment day. You stand on the precipice between heaven and hell. You must tell me the best and worst thing that you did in your life and answer some questions about film. In the end, I will decide whether you get to go to heaven or hell.
Speaker 2: Understood, It's simple, really.
Speaker 1: It seems it. Yeah, I think I understand. Okay, So tell me the best and worst thing you did in your life showing.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess if it's a matter of judgment day, I'll talk about my charity work, which is extensive, okay, because I've given five pounds a month every month for about two years to the RSPB, which is the Society Protection of Birds. Yeah, so that's your thing, is it. Well, they've sent me a magazine every month. I've always put it straight in the fucking bin. But quit that magazine. Well yeah, I mean there's actually a strong chance they're losing money as a result of sending me that magazine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I give to the birds.
Speaker 3: I went to the gym once and there was a stall in the lobby and they went, do you want to give to RSPB, And I was like, yeah, all right, and that's sort of the extent of my relationship with them, but I'm sure it counts for something, right, like im when I'm at the gates of Heaven, I'm sure Sat Peter, all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's loads of birds playing around, like, thank you, thank.
Speaker 2: You, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Everyone likes birds, right, I'm quite scared of birds, all right, So just remember i'm interns of Judgment day.
Speaker 2: Well what birds are you scared of? You're not scared of, Like, you're not scared of robins. I'm looking after. It's British birds like sparrows and ship It's.
Speaker 1: Not I'd be scared of robin. If it came really near me. It was flapping about my head.
Speaker 2: You'd be scared of a robin. I'd be like, funk off Robin. We did flack around my head, all right.
Speaker 1: Well the sort of moved, you know, I mean, like I like watching them in the distance.
Speaker 2: I want one up.
Speaker 3: I'm going to send an email to the charity and ask them to siphon the money to like distant birds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, birds like herons and stuff like that. Yeah, I don't mind watching like a you know, swooping around. But if a bird gets in your house, jumps in your house, you're not happy.
Speaker 3: If you're saying, like any charity, it's a ridiculous thing to say, well, I could give it.
Speaker 2: I could give you a cancer charity.
Speaker 3: If a cancer patient came into my house, I'll be get out of it.
Speaker 1: I think you'd be confused why this past is in your house. But I think you'd be loving and you'd be like, hey, can I help you? But I think if a bird suddenly appear in your house, I think you're going fuck off. Ship there's a bird in the house.
Speaker 2: I guess that's true.
Speaker 1: I don't know what I could have said there that could have possibly helped me.
Speaker 2: I really thought hard. Let's ignore the birds.
Speaker 3: I volunteered for three weeks at the Amnesty International, So.
Speaker 2: There you go. This is legit now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was the book. It was the bookshop. They have a bookshop, right, and I volunteered there for a while. What does that mean you just sat and read books. Let's not go into the details. I mean, do you have a problem with political prisoners as well? Did they scared you?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I love books, and I love Amnesty International today.
Speaker 2: What you did for them was set in the books. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I also like if someone came in and wanted to buy a book, I would then go to the old woman who was working with me and go, can you do the till? Because I don't know how it works? And it's not that that is a selfless act.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty pretty scary stuff you put yourself through there.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: What's the worst thing you do? Well, it might be here I give to this bird charity now. But genuinely, I worked at a fancy dress shop.
Speaker 3: For a while and I stopped forever when no it was bricks and mortar forever. Well, it wasn't forever because it went out of business while I was working there when I was I was seventeen, and I stole a hat from them, and I don't think I ever gave it back. What kind of hat with it? Like a sort of a fedora, like a gangster hat. Yeah, it was pretty cool. Actually, well yeah I thought it was. I sat think that's the best thing you did in your life. I think you've mixed these two up. That sounds fucking cool. I think so far, so far it's a zero out of ted conversation from me.
Speaker 2: I've been way too sincere about stand up.
Speaker 3: I've tried to save your mortal at Bey the Birds, and I've stolen the hat.
Speaker 1: Well, having heard your stories, I'm still not sure whether to send you to heaven or hell. Perhaps these questions on other things made help. Let's see, then, what is the film that you saw when you were too young to see it that affected you the most.
Speaker 3: I don't know how much it affected me, but I saw Thelma and Louise when I was a very young child. That's a great one because I think my either my parents had rented the video, and I think I thought it was like a like a Forest Gump type film, and I guess it's sort of it. I mean, it's sort of fun and it's Americanda. But then there's a scene early on where one of the characters is like, there's a sexual assault, and then the man is shot dead by the other one, and as an eight year old, I remember thinking, I've not seen anything like this before, so it's probably film with Louise. Really for most of the time it's age age appropriate what I watched, but that felt quite adult.
Speaker 2: Were watching it on your own, Yeah, I think it was.
Speaker 1: I was up at like six in the morning and my parents already had the video with and I just.
Speaker 2: Started watching it. Did you work it all the way to the end?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think so. Do you think you cried at the end? It makes sense if I cried at the end.
Speaker 3: I mean I cried when and Ernie got trapped in King Tut's tomb, so I probably cried at Thelma Louise.
Speaker 1: If you could play one character in a film, which character would it be?
Speaker 2: I tell you this.
Speaker 3: This one was the easiest one to answer, which is quite depressing. But a character I've always really loved is Jerry Liundergard, who's William H. Macy's character in Fargo. Fascinating because I feel like that character is so incredible because he's obviously just a terrible craven man, that there's something so unique and how pitiful he is. I don't I don't think I've ever seen a character like this, really, But there aren't many characters like that in film, where there's like he's so weak, he's so small and so pathetic that despite all of the terrible things that happen because of him. I don't hate him as much as I should. There's something sort of something hauntingly human about him, and so, yeah, I think that's probably someone I could.
Speaker 2: I think I've got a bit of that. What craving mean like wanting bad things?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I guess el not evil, but like yeah, like yeah evil evil? Guess I mean he asked, he arranges for his own wife to be kidnapped because he's in debt. It's so I mean, it's so awful, but he's craving A.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I find it. I find him so I honestly I can't keep my eyes off him.
Speaker 3: I sort of get lost. I gets lost in him as a as a character. So I think I'd like to do that because he seems like a relatively normal bloke whose weakness has fucked him up.
Speaker 1: It is just some people just have a thing, and William Mats basically has that thing. He's just heartbreaking, isn't he. You know, nearly all the stuff he does in Pleasantville heartbreaking Inlia heartbreaking. He's got heartbreaking eyes. He's got sad eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think maybe it's him, maybe the character.
Speaker 3: I can't tell if it's the character or William h make William Mason probably makes him more likable than he should be.
Speaker 1: Good answer, what is the worst date or time you ever had at a film in the cinema?
Speaker 3: When I went to see No Country for Old Men, I wasn't on a date, but during the first like really tense bit where Anton Sugar is in the is it the grocery store he's in with the.
Speaker 2: Heads of tails with the head tails.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's the first time, there's like lots of extended silences and the tension. And I remember during one of the real long silences, a guy in the back of the cinema laid out such a fart, such a pronounced fart, that everyone started laughing, and basically nothing in the film works. Nothing in the rest of the screening was a write because any time there was any tension, we were all laughing thinking about, imagine if he farts again.
Speaker 2: Do you think like.
Speaker 1: A man deliberately funded for everyone to hear or was thinking I'll get away with this and happened to misstime it, like I mean, there's no I mean, he probably could never have imagined it would be as loud as it was, because honestly, the decibel level.
Speaker 2: On this thing you recreate it.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I would have been like, I don't know when was it released? It as an eight, so I'm like twenty and was it? He goes on where does you work? Where does your work? What times you get off? And then the other goes, oh about six six thirty, and then you see it and everyone's at the edge of their seat, and.
Speaker 2: Then it's like.
Speaker 3: It was like a die. It was like a dying star. It felt like a dying star. It was over. The whole film was over.
Speaker 2: That is very funny. So that's probably the worst time. Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: If if you could live in the world of one film, which would it be?
Speaker 3: I picked Wayne's World. I only just realized there's a world.
Speaker 2: In Yeah, that's okay.
Speaker 3: I always loved Wayne's World because I always loved It's got a good feeling and there's kind of it feels like there's good community in it, and I always like the idea of it. It seems like there's a bunch of nice, goofy people working together to try and make stuff happen, and I think that's always how you want to live life. Everyone seems to be having fun in Wayne's World, and it feels like the sun's always shining and everyone's funny. It's clean in waynsworld, isn't it. I think, Yeah, it's clean. I'd love to hang out in Wayne's world. I'd love to be their friend.
Speaker 1: I sort of thought, oh, maybe I should pick Star Wars or Star Trek, but actually I think i'd fit in in Wayne's world. Got a rock rock concerts and play hockey in the streets. Yeah, it's fun, isn't it? Game on fun?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a real nice feeling to that. I don't know if they make films that feel like that anymore.
Speaker 1: It's a great, great point made a comedy with that sort of vibe in a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you need to do that for us.
Speaker 3: Sean, Yeah, I'll do that. That'd be nice. What is your favorite children's film? My favorite children's film is Oh yeah, I actually I love Chicken Run so much that I was like, I have to talk about Chicken Run, and I don't want to stop talking about it ever. I rewatched it a lot when I was working on this animated project that who knows if it'll ever see the live of day now, but whatever, but I've watched Chicken Run when I was sort of in deep in it, and I think it's just unbelievable. I think it's like it's one of the few perfect films like and I think Ardman animation are like such a blessing. And I think Nick park Is, I think he's the best British director. Like no one ever talks about him, but like the genre, the genre hopping, it's basically like like it's like a horror film and it's an action film and it's so sweet and it's so I think it's just ten out of ten across the board.
Speaker 1: Really, you're so right about the directing and also the staging of action sequences. Yeah, the actual geography of an action scene.
Speaker 2: He is one of the great action directors.
Speaker 3: I really think that the opening scene where you meet that where the farmers dogs are attacking the chickens, and some of the camera work there is because he's basically like Hitchcock. He loves Hitchcock. Yeah, so he basically does Hitchcock but with animated chickens. So everyone's laughing. It's so funny, man, it's such a funny film.
Speaker 2: That's great. Do you like the sequel? Ah? Yeah, okay, sorry.
Speaker 3: No I do I do.
Speaker 2: I think the problem is is it's what can you do? It's lighting.
Speaker 3: I think the first one was lighting in a bottle. Also, the first one was like very it's very dark. Loads of the scenes are at night, and it's like in this sort of camp and it's all brown and dark earth tones, and I think that added to it. I don't know, it felt like felt very lived in. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: It does make sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, What is the film that you didn't think you would like that you ended up loving so much.
Speaker 2: I really loved watching it in the cinema.
Speaker 3: I don't know if i'd love it if I watched it again, because I think a lot of the criticism of the film maybe would have got to me. But I didn't want to see Baz Lehman's Elvis film right, And I saw it in the cinema, and I don't know whether it just got me in the right mood, whether I was so taken by it. I just thought it was brilliant and I loved how crazy it was. I loved how Tom Haggs was just I even know what character he was playing. Genuinely, it was like someone out of a studio Ghibli film, and I loved how they like updated the music and stuff. I thought it was like Wild and Fronetta. And I'm not a huge Baslerman fan, but I thought it was like a perfect meeting of like aesthetic with subjects.
Speaker 1: So I thought it did really well that I don't think many films do well. I think A Star is Born, Bradley Cooper's Went does it really well, and Elvis does it well. It does live performance really well, Like particularly the Vegas section really feels like, Yeah, this is what it feels like.
Speaker 2: That's a great that's a great point. It was.
Speaker 3: It was the first time I'd ever I watched that, and I think because of the sound or how they remix the songs or how they film the live scenes, I actually understood why Elvis would have been exciting. This is impossible for me today to actually know, but then that film, I was excited watching him go or is it?
Speaker 2: That's the problem with other ones.
Speaker 3: It's like most musical biopics they show them playing the song.
Speaker 2: I don't give a fuck. I'm like, well, they were excited by Johnny Cash.
Speaker 3: I care about this guy, but Elvis, I cared about this guy. So yeah, that was it, And you know, what Let's Hanks do an impression of someone completely different.
Speaker 2: I think it's fine.
Speaker 1: Let him, let him fla beautiful What is the single most erotic moment.
Speaker 2: In a film? I don't like this question. I think it's too horned. I thought you wouldn't. Why do you put it there? Then? Because I'm not a fucking prude?
Speaker 3: You well, my question is the most My answer is the most prude answer. They get ready for this, here we go, Well a want of podcasts. I don't want to go like, oh yeah, I got such a massive erection when this happens.
Speaker 2: I actually do have quite a hot one.
Speaker 3: Actually in Pleasantville, Love Love great film. There's that bit where Toby Maguire's character who is in Pleasantville and knows all the plots of what's this fictional show? And I don't know what the character's name is, but she's says, oh, I baked you these cookies, and he goes, no, you baked them for Whitey, who's like the other character. And she goes, no, I baked them for you, and he goes, no, you baked them for Whitey. And then she goes right up to him and pushes the cookies in and she goes, No, I bake them for you, and it's there's such a great It's yes, great because also it's a great depiction of that moment, which we're all lucky to have had, hopefully, where someone you thought had absolutely no interest in you suddenly makes it very clear that you are viable for them.
Speaker 2: I mean, what's more erotic than that? Sun? God, damn it, you did it. You did it. God, you you really did that. I thought that was going to annoy me, and I in fact think that is brilliant. Do you think so? Yeah? I do. I think that's brilliant. You're very good at this. That's why you keep having your back.
Speaker 3: Can I ask where you are in this whole Sex scenes are superfluous debate that's happening in circles now, because if if I think you're pro sex scene, I think actually, you're like, we need more sex scenes added. Retrospectively, I'm like, you're why isn't it all sex scenes?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I honestly, I think that there is a very strange thing in our culture. I find it very very strange that we have the Internet, which is filled with the most extreme pornography ever and it's everywhere and ubiquitous, and then in kind of mainstream culture and in cinema it's become almost Victorian. There's so little sex, it's almost and there's all these sort of think pieces about nudity and all this stuff, and I kind of go.
Speaker 2: Why haven't it sex?
Speaker 1: Like sex is great, like and it's and it's storytelling, Like I think it's an important part of a story. If character like sexist communication, sex is part of character's journey. I'm not saying every film has to have it, but sometimes I watch things I go, where was the sex?
Speaker 2: Like? What happens? Like? What are we hiding from.
Speaker 1: The last thing you watched? Like that Inside Out too? Shrek four? Are they not fucking anyone?
Speaker 2: Was going on? I can send you.
Speaker 1: I can send you some clips if you're into Shrek character, I've got some lenks listen. And also it depends on context, and it depends how it's done, of course, and I've seen things I have seen. I've seen the examples where I'm like, that seemed done necessary and we definitely didn't need to see all that. But then there's stuff where I mean, look, I talk about it all the tongues. It's one of my I think it's the greatest film ever made. But you watch the sex scene in Don't Look Now, and not only is it very well done, it's fucking moving. It makes you cry. It's fucking beautiful. Like it's story. It's it's this married couple who haven't had sex since their child died, finally reconnecting for the first time, and it's sexy and it's lovely, but it's moving, it's beautiful. I'm like, that's story. I'm glad we saw that, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 3: I'm watching the Sopranos at the moment, and the way that sexuality is used as a plot device or a way of expressing character, it's so ingenious in that I think, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it is. Yeah, you're right, You're right about that. More sex, That's what I say.
Speaker 1: But also, why are we being what's this sort of Victorian thing of It's like shame, there's shame and nudity and shame and sex like what we do it.
Speaker 3: I suppose there is definitely times where I've watched films and they crowbar in a bit of nudity and it's so gratuitous and unnecessary, and I suppose it's like anything we all debate about anything. Yeah, the bad things let down the whole team, you know, Yeah, you're right. They made that star trek into Darkness the second reboot y, Yeah, did you know that? But I mean where there's just I don't even know who the actor's name is. She's just yeah, she's just fair enough, she's just she's just in her underwear. I don't even know why, just so teenage boys gonna have a gift to send. Yeah, I find I just find it interesting, you know, it is interesting. And I watch Baby Girl. Have you seen Baby Girl? I've actually not seen Baby Girl.
Speaker 1: It's great, it's so, it's so I have like huge respect for Baby because it's fucking weird. It's a very unique film that is in the cinema and it has a lot of sex in it. It doesn't have a lot of nudity, has a lot of sex, and it has a lot of I don't want to say weird because for some people it's not weird, but it's.
Speaker 2: A what's the word?
Speaker 1: Clearly the director, I believe this is very much stuff she's into. You know, unusual activities go on, unusual behaviors, and Nicole Kimmen is so all in. It's very, very impressive, and she does an awful lot of She's all in and I really admired it, and I thought, this is great. You don't see enough of this like this seems interesting. This is a whole area of human expression, behavior understanding that we don't see.
Speaker 2: Well, so I'm all for it.
Speaker 3: Will put a pin in this because one of my choices later on is that will probably link very nicely to this.
Speaker 1: Which film you don't care about as a whole, has a single sequence that you love.
Speaker 3: I don't like the filming Glorious Bastards. Okay, have you heard of it. I've seen it, and I do like it, but I'm never going to I don't. I'm not into it very much. Maybe i'd like it more if I watched it now. But obviously the opening scene is so tremendous and tonally, it's almost like it's it's from a completely different film, because there's actual stakes and actual emotion there, and I feel it's so I still think it's like a jaw dropping display of filmmaking, tension, character. I think the dialogue is astonishing, and then the rest of it it's just like Suicide Squad, but it's Nazis, so I don't care about.
Speaker 1: The opening would really benefit it's so tense and so quiet, it would really benefit from someone firing at the back of the room. As soon as the farmer's tears are shed and he realizes what he's about to do, then Yeah, what is the film that stayed with you the longest after seeing it?
Speaker 3: I tell you what film did, and I still basically once every six months to a deep dive into it. And that's did you ever see that film Overnight? The documentary Yes from two thousand and three, Yes, and made The boon Docks Saints. Troy Duffy. Yeah, Troy Duffy, Yes, I have seen it. I've found it so depressive. I find that film. Yeah, it's it's horrible.
Speaker 1: It's so horrible, horrible, and it's so viable, like it's there are so many people who if they were that to happen to them, it would it would probably turn out exactly the same.
Speaker 2: Tell the story for people who may not have seen over Night.
Speaker 3: I've never seen The Boondock Saints, but in the nineties, this guy called Troy Duffy who was working in la I think he was just working at a bar and he was in a like a pub band, wrote this script, sold it to Mirrormax, and he was given this offer that he would direct this film, his band would do the soundtrack, and Harvey Weinstein, who was running Miramax, was like.
Speaker 2: I'll even buy you the bar.
Speaker 3: And it was this big and this was like the time of like indie auta cinema was exploding, like Tarantino and Kevin Smith and stuff like that. And he hired his friends to like make a documentary about his rise, about how this brilliant artist that he was was going to make the most of it. And the film basically chronicles him pissing everyone off, making every mistake in the book. His ego gets completely out of whack and he ends up with basically nothing. I mean, he did make the film, so I guess that's not nothing. But is that a good way of describing it. I don't even know how he's a monster. I mean he becomes a monster very quickly, and I don't know how accurate it is.
Speaker 2: Maybe you've got more inside knowledge about how the.
Speaker 1: Film is made by his friends, Like that's how bad he was that all this footage that his friends had where they were kind of like, well, we're shooting back in the scenes of this amazing thing, and all they reveal is what a ego munster he becomes.
Speaker 3: I think it's like that's the dark side of Like whenever you're in any creative field, there's so many people like that, but they never get to where he got. I mean, it's, yeah, the biggest whanker at the open mic night was given the golden ticket, and you follow him burning it to the ground. It's pretty extraordinary. Like I guess it's it is interesting on like a spiritual level. It's like it's the purest example of following the wrong thing, you know what I mean. Like he immediately, whether it started as a creative, pure idea, he immediately gets caught up in fame and power and completely being number one and not at all about the creative, and there is nothing creative about him. There is no point in the whole film, there is no point where he talks about how excited he is to make this. He just the only thing he's excited about is that everyone thinks he's great. The work means nothing to him. Oh God, it's horrible. It really. It really keeps me up at night because, yeah, I don't think it could become you if you're not aware of it, but it's probably closer to us than we'd imagine, or something like that.
Speaker 1: It probably is what is the film that makes you feel better about the world.
Speaker 2: On the other ends, poor things.
Speaker 3: Because it's so crazy and it's so funny and it's so wild, and if you talk about all in, this is the one I had in mind.
Speaker 2: These actors are all in. It's like it's like a.
Speaker 3: Victorian tinged soft core porn film about life and death. And the fact that it was like a huge hit and that everyone loved it and that you could still get megastars to commit themselves and stuff like this.
Speaker 2: I found it really like good.
Speaker 3: I watched it in a full cinema of like a very mixed audience, and everyone just got such a kick out of it. And whenever you whenever something that's like that wild gets popular, I think that's a really positive thing, because all we're told about is how every the edgency to be shaved off everything and the public can't handle things.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's that's how.
Speaker 3: I mean, the fact that you could even get funding for a film like that, and that you can even I mean, I don't even know how you put a film like that together. It's it's incredible. Yeah, I just and I didn't know anything about it going in. It was like I was suddenly put on a roller coaster and I just sort of had to figure it out pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you good at this?
Speaker 3: Am I Yeah, I feel like I'm really bored. I had a smoke alarm issue about two minutes before we started. My smoke alarm wouldn't stop going off, and I on a smoke machine In case you were boring, No, my smoke alarm went off and I didn't know why, so I made the executive decision to take the battery out and ignore the problem. It'll all be fine. This might be the last time we see you. Which is your favorite couple in a film? This is the second appearance of Fargo. I like Marge and Norm Francis McDormand and the actor whose name I always forget. I think I think Fargo is one of my It's like top five for me, and I never really think that it is. But I think their marriage is the most perfect. It's like the most perfect depiction of like small town normal people who are just in love and they care about each other, and it's never pronounced in the film, but it's the kind of heartbeat. The whole heartbeat of the film is the idea that there are still very good people in this world and that they can win. And I think, yeah, it's like the most unassuming depiction of like a genuine love. So I'd say them, really, there's.
Speaker 1: No fireworks fantastic answer, do you not think it is? It's a really really good answering, and I'd never thought about it, but you're absolutely right. She remains sort of pure hearted despite all this sort of darkness, and they still just get on with things quietly.
Speaker 2: But it's sweet, I think. So I like that.
Speaker 3: I think it's telling that the final scene of the whole film, as all of this stuff has happened, all this catastrophe has happened, and it's just those two in bed talking about his stamps. He goes, Oh, yeah, they're going to make a stamp of me. It's just like it's it's perfect the manouche and that's what matters to her. You know, she's been involved in this crazy case, but actually the thing that matters to her is that she's having a baby with this guy and he does his paintings.
Speaker 2: It's really nice, So I sort of I view them as.
Speaker 3: Like an aspiration. They seem very content. Is that how you view your marriage?
Speaker 2: Oh? No, oh, now we're in baby girl territory. Man, We're We're deep, We're deep. What film inspired you to do something?
Speaker 3: This one's going to be really lame, Brett, Okay, you're going to think this is so cringe and your listeners are going to hate me.
Speaker 2: I think, I bet I love it.
Speaker 3: But I love the Holdover's loads like everyone, it's great, great, But the Holdovers inspired me because in this period that I was talking about at the beginning, when I wasn't sure what to do about Stand Up all but my life, my moving forward, my career, I did a film course, right, I like, got a certificate in film directing.
Speaker 2: Wow, where did you do that?
Speaker 3: Just some just some guy on the corner was running it and I and I found it such a It was a real challenge. It was something I'd always thought, Oh, I think I could do this. I think I'd like to do this, And it was very difficult, and ultimately I think I did well out of it. And I made a short film and I loved working with actors and with a crew. But I didn't know really what it was going to do, and I didn't know what it would lead. I didn't know anything like that. And then I saw that film, The Holdovers, and I felt this. I mean, obviously it's a brilliant film, but also it's like it's such a small, intimate film about just people talking and changing and growing. And I thought, I'd love to be able to make something like that. I think if I can make anything, it's probably something like that. You know, I don't really know what else I could do, but the fact it made me really want to try and make a film, So I guess I'll pick that.
Speaker 1: And I don't know, and I'm no further on from that point. I should make that clear. Yeah, can we put your shot on the Patreon? Oh, if I can find it? Yeah, it was. It was I filmed it is part of the course and it was.
Speaker 2: A minute and a half long and it was silent. Ah, maybe I'll think about it. It was good though. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: It was funny, but I wanted to like, Yeah, the seeing a film like that and knowing that there's still a market even if it's small, for just little films of people talking.
Speaker 2: That's what I like people talking, you know too, Sean McLaughlin.
Speaker 1: You have given me pause, so many interesting answers, but I'm still undecided. What one film would you leave for the people of Earth that is meaningful in the hope that I will spare your life.
Speaker 3: Well, Brett, I would leave the film Galaxy Quest, because I think it's very meaningful.
Speaker 2: I think it's.
Speaker 3: Really wonderful comedy about vandom and friendship, and I think it's got adventure and it's got love, and it's got loads of jokes. So I would leave Galaxy Quest, a film which I think is getting more popular by the day, and.
Speaker 1: I'm very happy about that. Seor mclatlin, you have been so wonderful. God, I really really like you. You know what, After all that, I've decided you're going to heaven.
Speaker 3: We thank you, young man. Very happy to be going to Heaven. I'm really looking forward to it. Have great fun up there, thanks man. Maybe I'll see you there one day.
Speaker 2: Maybe one day.
Speaker 1: Now, tell us, Sean, before we say goodbye, tell us about your tour, tell us what we should be looking out for, and tell us what to listen to.
Speaker 3: Starting I'd really like it if you come to the tour if you live in the UK and Europe. Some dates are on sale. Where would we find them just by googling you? Yeh, I guess Sean Dotlincomedy dot Com is the website. The show is called White Elephant, so you could also look that up, I guess, and going all over Europe, all over UK, probably doing North America and maybe Australia at some point. And also you can watch my old specials or listen to my old albums.
Speaker 2: Hard recommend and I.
Speaker 3: Am funnier on stage, done off, so keep that in mind.
Speaker 1: Agreed to disagree all the time. That's good Sean mcgloughlin.
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 1: Thank you for doing this again. Perhaps if you're a good person, one day you'll come back for the reincarnation. Thank you for your time and your thoughts.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Brett, good night, goodbye. So that was episode three hundred and thirty eight.
Speaker 1: Head over to the patron of patroon dot com forward Suspect Goldstein for the extra twenty minutes of chat, secret and video with Sean McLoughlin. Thank you so much to Sean for giving me his time. Thanks to Scruby's pipping. There's Tracks and Pieces Network. Thanks to Buddy Peace for producing it, Thanks to iHeartMedia and Pharaohs Big Money Plays Network facing it. Thanks adamaged them for the graphics and least lighting for the photography. Come and join me next week for a brilliant episode with a very funny comedian.
Speaker 2: That is it for now. Thank you all for listening.
Speaker 1: I hope you're all well, have a lovely week, and in the meantime, please, now more than ever, be excellent to each other.