Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Savor Prediction of ByHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: I'm Anny Resa and I'm Lauren vogel Baum, and today we have an episode for you about Krispy Creme.
Speaker 1: M hm. Was there any particular reason this was on your mind? Lauren?
Speaker 2: Uh, well, okay, So I've been wanting to do I love doing corporate episodes because they can go in wild places that you're not expecting them to. And I had been looking at the major US donut chain brands, and I have been in the South for long enough that I was morally obligated to pick Krispy Kream before Dunkin Donuts.
Speaker 1: Yes, which I briefly mentioned in the last episode that we did. Oh gosh, what was it?
Speaker 2: It could have been anything.
Speaker 1: It could have been anything, but whatever previously came out to this. I mentioned that in the US, we don't really have a breakfast and I found a whole article from the Bitter Southerner that was about how Dunkin Donuts kind of capitalized Oh sure, you know American runs on duncan go fast, fast fast, and Krispy Kreme was like, no, come in and sit down or you know, and stay a while. Yeah, the kind of differences between southern and northern, but also what succeeded where and it was really fascinating. But yes, they're not a sponsor Chrispy krean no, nor Dunkin Donuts, No, no, nope, not currently. I haven't had Krispy Kreme in a really long time, but college years I remember it very well. Oh sure, yes, there was a there, there's one. I know, we're going to talk about it. But there's kind of a famous Krispy Kreme in Atlanta and one time my good friend was driving and the hot sign was on. If you don't know if that is, we'll talk about it more or later. But essentially it's just like there's hot fresh doughnuts.
Speaker 2: It tells you when the donuts are fresh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And she made a very dangerous turn get into the Krispy Kreme and we later found out it's always on.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that's great at that location at least it's always on.
Speaker 1: And I read that in multiple articles when I was studying studying, researching this is that people would take these turns to get into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I have hot sign. I have seen that. I have witnessed that. I think I've been in the car when someone else did that. Yes, it is a pretty universal Atlanta experience.
Speaker 1: It is, indeed. And another friend of mine, she loves Krispy Kreme.
Speaker 3: She she's always texting me about Krispy Kreme has this new flavor, and I'm like, well, what, I'm glad you're excited about it.
Speaker 1: What newsletter are you on? But also I remembered that when I was in marching band, we used to sell Krispy Cream doughnuts as fundraising techniques totally, and one time I was selling them inside Walmart and I got kicked out for soliciting. And I still they were correct to kick me out, but I still chafe at the memory of the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't remember having access to Krispy Kreme anywhere when I was growing up, but in college, the first place that I lived was like downwind of a Krispy Kreme, and so I could tell just by walking outside whether or not the hot now sign was on. And it was horrifying. It was the most dangerous, wonderful things. Perhaps shockingly, I didn't actually eat that many at that point in my life because I was so broke. I just didn't have money to spend on donuts. But I guess that helps.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but uh yeah, oh it's wonderful and uh and yeah, yeah, I've got a very positive association with the brand from any number of like like office coffee hangouts or you know, like like family visits or stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do also have a lot of good associations with I don't know, and early morning where somebody in a dozen Krispey cream or something like that. It's just like nice and sweet, but it's not too sweet. They're generally pretty good because I'm very sensitive to sweet.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I was gonna say, you don't even enjoy sweet things that much. So if you have good feelings about it, then they're doing a good job.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Admittedly this is a long time ago, but but yeah, uh, okay, you can see our donut episode Jelly Donuts.
Speaker 2: We did it one on jelly donuts, not all donuts.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, all right, you can see that one. I would say biscuits is relevant.
Speaker 2: Related, sure maybe churros, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can see that. All right. But I guess this brings us to our question.
Speaker 2: Sure, Crispy Cream, what is it? Well, Krispy Cream is a brand of donuts and coffee that can be found in grocery stores and also that owns and franchises out donut shops. They focus on yeast raised doughnuts that are very airy and fluffy, very melt in your mouth. They come in your typical donut ring or toroid if you're nasty, with a thin sugar glaze and or a topper of only slightly thicker icing in flavors like chocolate or strawberry. They also have disc shaped doughnuts that are similarly glazed and or iced and filled with like jelly, custard or fluffy type of icing that they call cream with a K because that's how their name is spelled. You can buy them singly or more commonly by three, six or a dozen. For drinks, they have like plain coffee, iced coffee, and then a bunch of sweetened and flavored espresso drinks and blended frozen drinks. The shops and packaging are branded in like white and forest green, with a really like retro mid century kind of vibe. The shops are the kind of place that you might stop for a treat with the kids, you know, and they often feature a window into the donut machinery in the back and out front. Each shop that has that also has this red orange neon sign that says hot now that they turn on when fresh donuts are coming off the line. Maybe that shop has fresh donuts coming off the line all the time. I don't know their business. And yeah, these these donuts are often eaten for breakfast or a snack, like in group settings, right, like someone might pick up a dozen to bring to the office or to your mechanic or something like that, or maybe like as a weekend breakfast treat. The brand is kind of aggressively nostalgic and is very loved. It is sturdy and long lasting in exactly the way that its donuts are not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got a vibe. It's got like a the whole look of the stores if you go in, if you actually go in and you can see the donuts, like the line.
Speaker 2: It's all very clean, very very spick and span, very shiny, you know, like they'll give you a little paper donut hat. Yes, it's not shaped like a donut, it's just you know, the little service hat.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it's called anyway, Okay. Krispy Kream has several standard donuts and usually four ish limited time ones. The standard rings are original glazed, chocolate iced, and chocolate ice with rainbow sprinkles. These standard fills are glazed with raspberry jelly, glazed with lemon custard, chocolate iced with vanilla custard, and chocolate iced with that fluffy cream that I mentioned before. They do also have a single standard cake style donut at this very moment, which is a blueberry cake with that glaze on it, glazed a yeast raised cinnamon roll right now. They're limiteds are like spring and or Easter themed, like a filled donut with marshmallow flavored cream and a pastel yellow icing on top, with like cute little bunny face drawn on with chocolate drops for the eyes and nose, and then little candy ears. Yeah. Each franchise can choose which flavors to stock Their coffee drinks. Do come and write hot, iced and frozen with flavors like caramel or mocha. They do have an original glazed flavor of coffee. And I'm intrigued because I don't know what nervous. I don't know what flavor the glaze is like. It's glaze flavored like what is what? Anyways, the brand does also have a pretty popular fund raising program that lets organizations basically purchase goods at a discount and then sell them for profit, either via pre sale sale of digital coupons or by picking up a whole bunch of donuts to sell wherever except for inside a Walmart. Apparently, they also do catering if you'd like to order more than like four dozen at a time. And that's all at their shops. Some grocery stores and convenience stores sell Crispy Creame brand coffee to make it home, and donuts that are delivered in fresh daily from a local shop or production center. Some McDonald's I think currently only in Kentucky and Indiana do also sell individual donuts. Yeah, yeah, that's new. But anyway, this is all in the United States. Shops in other countries which do exist have other flavors and stuff. For example, in the UK, they have options like a chocolate hazelnut filled donut you know, Natella type style one filled with strawberry cream, a ring dipped in a milk and white chocolate icing, and a bisc Off Co branded donut filled with Biscoff flavored cream and topped with a biscof spread and biscoff crumbles. It's a it's a lot of bit. It's very biscoffee. They have had similar limited time options in the States, but I have I have the idea that that that that bisk Off one is more permanent. Anyway, the system that they have worked out to produce and distribute all of these donuts is pretty intricate. So like they do have regional donut factories to help supply fresh doughnuts to shops that do not produce their own, along with supplying to other vendors like carts and food trucks and grocery stores. But those stores with the machinery in the back and the hot Now sign out front can be self sustaining and can even provide product for those other vendors Locally, they're called factory stores or in business lingo, the hot light theater shops. Oh I read. I read a lot of investor relations information while preparing for this episode, and it's really funny. They just just all investor relations material. Is really funny.
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 2: No way that it intends to be at any rate. Yes, deliveries from these places to other places that sell them are made daily, and they also have manufacturing facilities where they blend and package the ingredients for their products, including donut mixes, the specific sugar and yeast that they use, and also the filling mixes, and right in the factory stores, you can peek in on the machinery. Back when our original company that we were podcasting under, How Stuff Works, was still based in North Carolina, in like the early Oughts, they took a tour and explained how it all worked. Since then, the physical machinery is still pretty much the same. I suspect it's been that way since way before then, actually, but they have updated their drives and controllers to make everything more easily monitored. And a fish a little bit more in that on that in the history section. But yes, So, in order to create a crispy cream donut, the donut mix is added to some water in yeast, and then the rings are formed by an extrusion machine. It's the kind of thing that uses pressurized air to force the dough through a ring shaped tube and then we'll slice each separate donut off at the other end. No donuts never have a hole that needs to be punched out. That's a marketing thing for filled donuts, the ring shaped tube is swapped out for just a cylinder that makes a solid circle. Anyway, the extruder deposits the rings or circles on a conveyor belt that brings them to the proofer. And this is a big glass box with a controlled heat and humidity inside to help the dough proof. That is for the yeast to get to work and make the dough rise. Baker's yeast, as we have talked about before, eats sugar and poops carbon dioxide and flavor yeast fool. The carbon dioxide bubbles will stretch out the dough and make it puff out. The process takes like fifteen to twenty minutes, and the doughnuts zigzag through the box on these conveyor trays at just the right speed so that when they reach the end of the box they're ready to be cooked. The machine then tips them out onto another conveyor belt, which pulls the donuts through a bath of hot oil. The conveyor belt has these bars just tall enough to trap rows of doughnuts in place and let them float through the oil. It's a little bit like how in some theme park water rides the cars do like a controlled float yeah, except through hot oil not water. Since the donuts are floating, only one side will cook, so halfway through the bath, this rotating arm flips them over from underneath. It takes about forty five seconds on each side. And I don't know if this is still accurate, but at least as of the early two thousands, a few times a day a manager like checks and make sure that the timing is just right on both the proofing and the frying end, because, as anyone who's ever gotten into baking knows, all kinds of environmental factors can affect dough and cook times even in a relatively controlled kitchen environment. The belt will deposit be fried doughnuts onto a cooling belt, and then when they're a little bit cooler, the doughnuts destined to be glazed are pulled under the sort of waterfall of liquid glaze made of sugar and water and stuff basically flavors and a lot of things to help make the texture just right. And when that hot now sign is on, an employee will pull donuts right off of the glazing belt and box them up for you. And if you order something like chocolate ice, just hand dip the chocolate icing on. If they're meant to be sent out for delivery elsewhere, though, they're allowed to cool for another forty minutes or so on a long slow ride back to the packing room so that the glaze has time to stiffen up a bit. You can get almost crackly when it's dry, which is nice for the package donuts. Any icing will be applied with another waterfall type machine. They're then handboxed, loaded into trays, and loaded into company run delivery trucks. Filled donuts are super cool. Okay, they're filled by hand with the help of a machine that the filling gets mixed together and then poured into this tank that's attached to a pump, and the pump can feed the exact right amount of filling out through this long, sharp ended nozzle and two nozzles sit side by side, so a worker can take a pair of donuts, slide them onto the nozzles, and then push a button in under the nozzles to activate the pump, and then pull the donuts off the nozzles as the filling is injected, so that it goes in evenly. It's just really simple, but like really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is really cool. I mean it's me if you go in it is very it feels like one of those very touristy you want. Yeah, something get made, which we are going to talk about a little bit in his rejection. But yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 2: Watching how stuff gets made is a whole thing. Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: It is part of why we're here. M Well, what about the nutrition.
Speaker 2: Oh, treats are nice. Treats are nice.
Speaker 1: Treats are nice. Well, we do have some numbers for you.
Speaker 2: Oh, quite a few see above read and investor relation papers. Okay, So, as of the early two thousands, Krispy Kreme's largest factory shops could produce eight hundred and eighty donuts an hour. Uh huh. Today, getting a factory shop up and running costs between two to five million dollars. There is a real fancy one in Times Square that costs ten million when it opened in twenty twenty. If anyone has been, let me know it sounds real.
Speaker 1: Goofy. It does a note when it opened.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, right and interesting. As of twenty twenty four, Krispy Kreme had three hundred and ninety four factory shops around the world, plus another one thousand, six hundred and eighty four shops that do not produce their own donuts, and over fifteen thousand other vendors, for a total worldwide of seventeen thousand, five hundred and fifty seven places that you can buy at Krispy Kreme.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, they've got fans. They've got a fan base.
Speaker 2: Interesting machine. Yeah. About half their shops are franchisees, half her company owned. Together, they employ some twenty two thousand, eight hundred people. In twenty twenty four, the company made a net revenue of one point six billion dollars. Along the fundraiser line, apparently, Krispy Kreme earned over forty three million dollars for about one hundred thousand organizations in twenty twenty three alone. They are an international company, but do about sixty percent of their business in the United States, and as of twenty twenty the company was selling about one point three billion donuts a year, sixty four percent of which was the original glazed.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of donuts. It's a whole bunch of donuts. But they started they started mid sized. Actually, I feel like they always kind of had a plan.
Speaker 1: I think they did. And what is comical to me is that they realized early on. You know what, the smell business, oh spelling of the hot fresh donuts is important to our business. So there is quite a history.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and we are going to get into that as soon as we get back from a quick break. For a word from our sponsors, and we're back.
Speaker 1: Thank you sponsor, Yes, thank you. Well again see our jelly donut episode. I guess we haven't done just a donut one yet.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Foiled again, but yes. Krispy Kreme was the brainchild of Vernon Rudolph during the Great Depression. Rudolph, like many others, was trying to find a way to make a living when things were pretty grim, so he got the idea of opening a donut shop. He purchased a recipe for a yeast raised donut from a chef out of New Orleans in nineteen thirty three. There's a lot of a lot of debate over who that was or if it was true, but that's the story. That same year, he opened a doughnut shop in Paducah, Kentucky. Okay. At this point things get a little messy because a lot of places like to claim they're the birthplace of the first Krispy Kreme, especially state websites.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, oh yes, but here it goes.
Speaker 1: A few cities do lay claim to the first official Krispy Kreme, and there are some technicalities involved. National claims that the first official Krispy Kreme was opened there by Rudolph and Ishmael Armstrong, who was Rudolph's uncle and business partner, in nineteen thirty seven. Soon after that one was opened, a few members of Rudolph's family opened stores in Atlanta, Georgia, and Charleston, West Virginia. So those cities they also get in on this whole thing, yes, But with dreams of owning his own store without a partner, Rudolph moved on to Winston Salem, North Carolina, and opened a Krispy Kremes store there on July thirteenth, nineteen thirty seven, which yes, is the same year as the one in Tennessee. But he was on the move. He was quick. Allegedly, he didn't have enough money to buy the ingredients he needed in the beginning to make these donuts, so he made a deal with grocery stores to pay them for the ingredients as soon as he earned the money from his store. And I guess they went with it. At first, Rudolph would make the donuts in the store and then sell them to these local grocery stores. But yes, as many of us know, the smell of fresh hot donuts is like a siren's call, so passerby started visiting the store directly wanting to buy them. So the story goes that Rudolph cut a hole in the wall so he could sell the donuts straight to customers. This also allowed customers to see some of the production, which they really in. It showcased how clean and modern the facility was. It was very kind of touristy. As we mentioned, the first doughnuts he sold are essentially what the company now labels the original glazed and people really dug the product, and in the nineteen forties and fifties, Crispy Cream expanded throughout the Southeast. With the expansion came some growing pains though. For one, all the doughnuts were made from scratch, which resulted in a pretty inconsistent product, just not what a lot of these stores wanted at the time. So to counter that, Rudolph opened a mixing plant just for Krispy Cream donuts. Each store received deliveries of dry dough from the plant, and the next step was developing mechanized donut making equipment that cooked and glazed the donuts, speeding up the whole process. Then nineteen sixties, the look of the stores was standardized as well, with the tiled green roof and the sign that we're familiar with. From there, locations began opening up outside of the Southeast. Rudolph himself died in nineteen seventy three, and his family sold the chain to Beatrice Foods Company a few years later, and for many franchisees this was unpopular. Moves oh yeah, oh wow. The recipe was changed to cut costs, the sign was changed. So in response, Joe mcalar spearheaded an effort with other early franchisees to come together to buy the company in nineteen eighty two, which they did. One of the first acts of business was to reverse these changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They were not having it.
Speaker 2: They were like, no, we know how to make our donuts, don't you tell us?
Speaker 1: Right? Ridiculous. The infamous hot light was introduced to nineteen ninety two, and by nineteen ninety nine Krispy Kremes they operated nationwide. A few years later, the business went international, opening a store in Canada.
Speaker 2: They went public in the year two thousand and then. This is a little bit of a sidebar, but in two thousand and eight researchers out of Northwestern University did a small study about how hunger affects our self control when we're tempted with treats by using Krispy Kreme. A press release called it perhaps their first starring role in neurological research. So what happened was subjects were either given as many donuts as they wanted to eat or asked too fast for eight hours. Both groups were then placed in fMRIs and shown pictures of two things, screwdrivers and donuts. In subjects who had just eaten, neither photo really got any kind of reaction, but in subjects who had fasted, the picture of the doughnut caused a couple parts of the brain to just light up the parts that detect and then focus your attention on things that are motivationally significant in some way, like you know, food when you're hungry, or a car horn when you're walking along a sidewalk, which which only makes sense, but you know, doing the science to prove it is always pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Meanwhile, sidebar aside, there was some corporate drama. In two thousand and nine, the US Securities and Exchange Commission settled this inquiry that had dated from two thousand and four into the company's accounting practices that wound up finding three then former executives one hundred and fifty thousand in just fines and almost six hundred and thirty three thousand dollars in ill gotten gains and interest.
Speaker 1: Oh my, yeah, well, continuing with the drama, in twenty fifteen, a UK branch had to apologize for promotion for the Krispy Kream Club as they were calling it are what they also dubbed KKK Wednesday because of the association with the American.
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, I'm assuming that what happened was that whoever put together that acronym didn't know or.
Speaker 1: One can hope fingers crossed. I think I think you're right. I think you're right, but fingers crossed indeed? Yes, all right. In twenty sixteen, JAB Holding Company purchased Krispy Kreme for one point three five billion dollars.
Speaker 2: They immediately took the company private again.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then the German family that owns jab Holding admitted in twenty nineteen that they profited off of forced labor during World War Two. On top of that, investigators discovered two of their family members actively abused workers during the thirties and forties. After the investigation into the family's Nazi ties went public, the managing partner of the company and the family's spokesperson didn't deny the accusations and said Ryman Senor and Ryman Junior were guilty. The two businessmen have passed away, but they actually belonged in prison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was a really big deal. The holding company owns a lot of other stuff like Panera things like that, And Junior had actually had kids with a woman whose Jewish father was murdered by the Nazis in a concentration camp, and their kids are now the heirs to the family fortune. And since that investigation, they spend at least some of it funding benefits to survivors of the Holocaust and to survivors of forest labor. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Nazis are bad as it turns out. Around twenty nineteen ish, the company began replacing its power drives and controller mechanisms in their donut making machinery they had last been updated around two thousand and one, and they wanted to put in more modern like connected equipment and software that can help keep everything running smoothly and reduce wear to components like motors and troubleshoot issues from any shop anywhere in the world due to Internet connectivity. Like for example, the fry oil in in that bath is constantly heated and pumped through the bath in order to keep the the temperature and viscosity within the right range and to you filter out any stray bits of dough and to prevent hot and cold spots. You know that that kind of thing. With this modern equipment, it automatically monitors the flow rate and can adjust the motor speed automatically if anything goes goes off, and furthermore, can adjust the amperage to make sure that the motor doesn't overheat while it's doing that, so you get a more consistent product and your parts don't wear out as fast. And because you know exactly how and how often things muck up, you know to replace parts before you have a failure. The team working on this wound up designing like a retrofiting kit that shops could install quickly and easily shout out to Food Engineering Magazine, which I'm always glad to see come up in my search results because they always have something really nerdy and cool to report on. Like, like, all of this is just so Like, if any of y'all we're doing any kind of tech reading in like the early twenty teens, then you are probably as tired as I am of the phrase Internet of things. But this, this is what it's meant to be right here. Not oh I can text my fridge. This is the Internet of things.
Speaker 1: That is cool. What do you have against your fridge, Laurene?
Speaker 2: Wow, Look, my fridge is dumb as a bag of rocks, And I love that.
Speaker 1: We're learning a lot about you.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: When the COVID vaccine became generally available to the public, the company Krispy Kreme offered things like free donuts for those that could show proof a vaccination.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, they do promoms like that for various things, like a tax day in the USA. So if yeah, it's which is which is cool? I'm like, yeah, you can reward people for doing good stuff. Also, in twenty twenty one, they went public again. You can now find them on the Nasdaq under the ticker d nut, which I think is cute.
Speaker 1: I wonder what duncans is.
Speaker 2: Oh, I haven't looked it up. It's probably it's probably dkn I would assume anyway. Possibly relatedly to going public again, in twenty twenty one, they also launched a new responsibility directive called b Suite. It includes initiatives to curb environmental harm, reduce waste, promote animal welfare like us switching to cage free eggs, and encourage DEI and other labor considerations, which are good things. Yeah, yeah, love them. Okay, Now onto our extremely Atlanta note. I couldn't let us go without putting in here that right. We have had this this one location in this busy part of town since the nineteen sixties and it's very popular. It is the one that both Annie and I have had near death experiences trying to get to. And in twenty sixteen, Shaquille O'Neill bought the location, or I mean, you know, franchised it, and then it got set on fire twice in twenty twenty one, leading to its demolition, but then was rebuilt in twenty twenty three. They never caught the arsonist that is also Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Yes, it really is.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love it. I love it. But anyway, Yeah, in twenty twenty four, some McDonald's locations began selling individual Krispy Creme donuts, and the company is actually planning like a factory store expansion in several cities in order to get donuts into more McDonald's locations. Huh okay, uh huh yeah. As part of that. So okay, remember how I said that you can currently purchase a Krispy Kreme at over seventeen thousand locations. They're looking to get that number up to seventy five thousand locations and become as Restaurant Business Magazine termed it, quote an omni channel treat provider.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I'm scared.
Speaker 2: For Omney channel treat provider.
Speaker 1: I'm on edge, feel threatened.
Speaker 2: Yeah. For the second time this episod. So the first one was the original glazed flavored coffee.
Speaker 1: I know, Krispy Creme, they're up to stuff. They are up to stuff. Well, that was kind of the point of that article I mentioned about the competition between Duncan Donuts and Krispy Kreme. Duncan excuse me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and oh my goodness, like Duncan is going to be a really interesting episode as well. And I feel like the fight between those two companies could be a third separate episode.
Speaker 1: I think it could be too. I think it could be too. But yeah, basically, it was sort of like, you know, Krispy Kreme is really trafficking in this nostalgia aspects, but outside of the South, people might not necessarily have that. And even South, sure, we just don't. We're on the run all the time. We don't. Really. I have friends clearly who love it and get it. I don't think it's not I don't. I don't think it's doing poorly at all. But there is a space where they are lacking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean they just don't do things like breakfast sandwiches that Duncan does, and so it's kind of an entirely different business model.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think I read somewhere that they don't they do like special flavors, but a lot of them don't like work out. Oh yeah, they're like good at what they do, but what they do is kind of outside of that. But I mean people people love it. People do love it, and they're big fans.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, And no shade on duncan either. I mean no, yeah, both of us have in defense.
Speaker 1: Backing away from we would never dare never never.
Speaker 2: Would not mess with Ben Affleck on my best day.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, no no, it's just interesting. I thought it was an interesting I guess I haven't really thought about Krispy Kreme like that in a while. But they are good. They're original, glazed, so good, m m mmmmmm, so light. I do like the crackle that you mentioned, like, yeah, well, listeners, if you have any opinions or thoughts about donuts k please let us know. But I think that's what we have to say about Krispy Kreme for now.
Speaker 2: I think it is. We do already have some listener mail for you, though, and we are going to get into that as soon as we get back from one more quick break for a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 1: And we're back. Thank you, sponsors, Yes, thank you, And we're back with right off the belt, into my mouth, into your face. Yeah, it is fun. It is fun. It's cool, it is it is indeed all right, Uh, Mary wrote hello because we all need giggles right now. I played my listener mail when I talked about Hatch Green Chili and Annie admitted she is now an addict. I'm sorry and you're welcome. We were in the car and my husband pipes up with I wonder if the P n M cookbook is still out there. I told him this was a great idea. I suggested he tell you who it was, and I got the look of nope from him. I then suggested he tell you that his mom tortilla recipe is in there. That didn't get a look, but it didn't make it in there either. My final suggestion was to put at the end the one who rolls his eyes and groans when my wife and Annie crack up laughing at puns. That got a verbal no. Fast forward to his listener mail being read. I was in the car by myself when I heard it. I screamed with joy and.
Speaker 2: Stopped the podcast.
Speaker 1: He received a text message filled with more exclamation marks than I have you since high school. I was so excited for him. His response cool, he doesn't understand how amazing it is to have it read on the show. Maybe one day. I'm still hoping for a live show one day. Our daughter is now old enough to appreciate a will placed curse word, so she would be able to come to or maybe do a tour. We are coming to Atlanta in June. We are hoping to hit the aquarium, World of Coke, Natural History Museum, Shakespeare Theater, and a ghost tour too. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and the more random or local the better.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, we have suggestions for you.
Speaker 1: We do, we do. I've already sent along my map, but I I think I could. I think I could add some more random if you really want, like the random local stuff. I think Lauren and I could oh yeah together something yeah, I mean, and it depends on what y'all are into. I mean, I mean, aquarium is absolutely worth it. The fern Bank Natural History Museum is great, Shakespeare Tavern is terrific. I don't think I've been on any ghost tours here, but we do have some excellent cemeteries. And it's very on brand of me to say that, I know, but we really do. Oakland Cemetery is like kind of right in the middle of the city and it's got you know, like Confederate sections and Jewish sections and it's fascinating, really fascinating place to go. You can go to the Krispy Cream on ponstantly on. Yes, it is really cool. It's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you've never seen donuts being made at a Krispye cream it's terrific. And yes, I said ponstantly on and yes, that's how we pronounce it. I understand, yes, but that's not how you say that name.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: But if you said it the correct way, you would be looked at like you had a double like like you had a second head here.
Speaker 1: So it's what it is.
Speaker 2: I'll see, I'll I'll brainstorm a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and just write in let us know if there's anything specific, uh that you're into. We've got We've got a bunch, we've got a bunch of ideas. I did get to apologies to everybody. I answered listener mail for the first time yesterday as we record this since January oh wow.
Speaker 2: Oh but yeah, it's been a rough couple of months.
Speaker 1: It's been a it's yep, but I yes, but I got to see this kind of unfold with Mary and your husband because we did read his listener mail, and I didn't realize that the connection related, yeah, until this came through. But it was really really fun and so I hope I hope that uh, this continues to be a fun time for him and not a terrible time. But the live show, I mean maybe one day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a food tour, yeah, one of these things. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of these things we.
Speaker 2: Should We should reach out to the iHeart marketing department and see and see what they want to put us through. Yes, no, we.
Speaker 1: Would love it.
Speaker 2: We would love to hang out. We would okay, Uh, John wrote, I have been following you since episode two. Actually, I sleep with you guys every night. I tune into old episodes and let them lull me to sleep. I usually can't get through more than one. It keeps my mind off of whatever would keep me awake. Anyway, I wanted to comment on the stable non dairy creamer episode from last fall. You guys say so.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sometimes with cream, I feel like you're lucky to get a week. I get home and it's already off well. In my experience, heavy whipping cream has a long shelf life. Attached as a photo of a container I bought today with a date of May twelfth, twenty twenty five, which is six weeks in the future. My experience with this particular brand is that it lasts well beyond the best BUYE or whatever date on the package, and yeah, photo is attached. There's photo evidence there is.
Speaker 1: I have been researching this.
Speaker 2: Lately, yeah, like yeah.
Speaker 1: Kind of, yeah. I just have a couple of things that I'm like, really, this is bad already because it feels like it shouldn't be and it's like prepackaged in such a way. But I also don't want to risk it, so I have been looking into I have been looking into some things, but this the date is clear, the data is clear on the package, and the brand for the record is HB SO, which I don't think.
Speaker 2: We have in our area. But I'm not sure if they're connected to another grosser brand that I'm not sure. I would have to look at that, and there's no way for me to check right now. I mean, okay, So the thing about dairy is that, like, it's probably not gonna hurt you. If you drink it past its due date, it might not taste and feel right, yeah, And if you are looking strongly to avoid that experience, then by all means, use all caution rights.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing that's where I was trying to get some sort of clarity, Uh, in my specific issue.
Speaker 2: I wonder, I wonder if we could get you like like little like acid test strips, and if you could if you could like find data on like at what acidity milk or cream is off? Yeah, I bet, I bet you could. I mean those test strips can be expensive, or at least the ones for aquarium testing were, but they test a lot more than acid levels.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: That could be interesting. I could run my own experiment. Yeah, well, future future as will look into it. I will say, I do always get a laugh out of when people write in and say we help them sleep. I'm glad.
Speaker 2: Uh oh oh yeah, oh no. I totally always have something that I go through, some media that I am consuming when I'm falling asleep, because otherwise I'm alone with my thoughts and that's the worst. As murder Bot would say, my head is where most of my problems are. That I don't want that. So yeah, like right, it's lately it's been old episodes of Supernatural. But yo, absolutely understand if we are soothing, that's like the best news I've heard in my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, no offense is taken. In fact, I'm happy to hear it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, if you had phrased it as you guys make me fall asleep. That would be weirder.
Speaker 1: And I'd feel a certain way, but I might get on board with that.
Speaker 2: Took actually either way, I mean yeah, if it's still soothing, that's great and you're still listening. Uh huh, there you go, there you go.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you to both of these listeners for writing in. If you would like to write to us, you can our emails hello at saborpod dot com.
Speaker 2: We're also in social media. You can find us on Instagram and blue Sky at saber Pod. I know I haven't posted in like ever, but again, it's been a weird couple of months and our years and or lifetimes, but we would love to hear from you. Savor is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, you can visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Thanks us always to our super producers Dylan Fagan and Andrew Howard. Thanks to you for listening, and we hope that lots more good things are coming your way.