Speaker 1: Well go on, Thank you so much for your time, and well done to eleanor y Bakina to get through the first week without dropping a set.
Speaker 2: And also welcome to the Woman's Store.
Speaker 3: How does the film thank you? First? Thank you for having me? And how this feel?
Speaker 4: It's a big change, It's a big it's a good change, you know, after you coach the best tennis playing the history of the game. No I needed first, I needed the rest, which I did, and then I needed something completely different. And what is completely different? It's a w theater. So I'd l like to be called by Elena, which I always admire her game and how she Okay, I would like her to be a little bit more energetic on the court, but I mean nice. Nobody's perfect, so so far I can't complain. It's very very nice. She plays great tennis and she's around sixteenth.
Speaker 1: So let's see what are some of the differences. You already see how you have to approach coaching a female player to a guy.
Speaker 3: With the guys is most smoother.
Speaker 4: This is more emotional, a lot of really involved and it's I will compare this to one movie groundhog Day. If you ever watched the movie It's a movie about the guy who wakes up every day and every day is the same day. So you talk, you talk, and then you wake up. You come next day to the practice and you think we did that, but we did not do anything. So again, so I go sleep, I wake up again, and then I come to the court and here we go again.
Speaker 3: And that's going and go.
Speaker 4: But honestly, it's it's okay, it's I have a patient. I learned to have a patient. If you want to be a coach, I always said, you have to succeed. If you're going to be a good coach, you have to succeed in about tours.
Speaker 3: So if I want to.
Speaker 4: Consider myself a good coach, I have to be good at WTOS.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I think you are already considered as one of the greatest coaches we ever had in the game. Obviously one of the greatest players we ever had in the game. What is it these days that gets you out of your home? You have a beautiful family at home, or life is great in Croatia. To keep you still motivated, I mean results.
Speaker 3: I love tennis. I love tennis.
Speaker 4: You know, I can't say I miss tennis for this last past ten months. But actually in the end I watched tennis. I was following my son is playing tennis, and so it was not easy to stay away from tennis.
Speaker 3: And I knew I will.
Speaker 4: I still have some unfinished business in tennis to do, and this is WTA. So I came here and I really like it. I like to see my friends. Luckily, ninety five percent of the tournaments they are combined and atpn W TE together, so with all the guys, so many people that I love to see on the tour.
Speaker 3: So I have a good time.
Speaker 1: You love tennis, you love Australia. Australia loves you. You've been coming here, well ever since I remember how what number of year is it now?
Speaker 2: Do you still come the first time?
Speaker 3: I came here in nineteen eighty eight? Oh wow, a long time. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I stopped counting. Yes, it's one of my favorite countries. Great people, great atmosphere, great food. Australian Open became one of the one of the for sure most favorite Grand Slam among the players, and they did a great job every year, something new facilities, great, their unbelievable crowds. Everything is okay. I have also some bad memories about Australia. I don't want to talk about it happened a couple of years ago, but overall it's it's it's nice to be back.
Speaker 1: You've had incredible success here as a coach, as a player. Can you I mean it's probably impossible and we would need one week to discuss them all, but if you can pick a couple of your favorite moments that you've spent in Melbourne over the years.
Speaker 4: Probably my first time when I qualified here and I read the quarterfinals a long time ago.
Speaker 2: That was still played in Queyon.
Speaker 4: No, that was the second year played here, and uh, that was in my playing days and coaching. Definitely, definitely when novakuon Australia and open which one the one that after he was kicked out and then he came back and that one that was a really really special special.
Speaker 1: Moment when you work with the greatest in the history of tennis. Is there something that caught you by surprise in a good way that you learned from Novak?
Speaker 3: You can learn every day from you.
Speaker 4: I was lucky, I mean easier for me because we speak the same language, You're coming from the same I was one country before it was loud, so mentality is the same young neighbors. So I understood the better his moves. I mean, it's not easy to understand his moves, but you know, at least a little bit. But he is a genius. He's a perfectionist who wants everything to be one hundred percent every day. What was good today is not good tomorrow. And you need to you know, you need to be ready. You need to always be at twenty four hours alert. But it's okay, I learned that and with him, you know, it's it's how he approached the matches, how he prove the practice, how it takes cares of his body, because if you see his career, he's probably among rough him Roger and Andy. You know, was always most fit and least injury. That's why he was carrying off his body with his eating, with his exercise. Or he's still here, not that he's here. He's one of the favorite to win a tournaments and he's still going and going. He can still play for a couple of years for sure.
Speaker 2: Do you believe he can win an Islam Yes, I think.
Speaker 4: He can believe in if he can in, I mean, okay, Sinner is a favorite. He is the best player in the world at the moment. But Novak is Novak, and when he's present on the court, then I always put.
Speaker 3: My money on Novak.
Speaker 2: Is there something you don't miss?
Speaker 4: I don't miss honestly, but okay, yelling, screaming, But in the end I didn't mind that. You get used to it.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a person.
Speaker 4: Nothing personally, it's a tennis match. You need to get your craziness out of system. You cannot kill somebody there or hit somebody there. So it's okay. We were We were there for.
Speaker 3: That, and.
Speaker 4: Now it's much quice on the court, you know, thanks to you. Probably sometimes I don't know what to do with myself. You know, everybody is quiet. It's more stress. But it was okay. I enjoyed it every minute. I enjoyed it, and it was a huge honor for me to be his coach.
Speaker 2: So it's almost you would say, to calm these days.
Speaker 4: Honestly, it's very calm. When I said first couple of practices, I was like, did I'm on the tennis court if somebody is playing needs some action here? You know, right now I'm getting used to this, to this quietness.
Speaker 1: Now that you know so much about tennis from the coaching side, what would you have told if you were still playing? What have you done something different as a player Having all these experience as a coach now.
Speaker 4: I actually I would like myself to coach myself because maybe approach of the practicing, maybe some things that I didn't want to implement as a player, or I tried, but I didn't try enough that could make me better player and win more tournaments. Stick with it even if I lose some matches. I didn't want to do it, So maybe play a little different tennis. I was actually lucky to ad a great coaches coach me, and I learned a lot from them also, But maybe do in the different ways. So probably I will do some different things on the core, be less crazy in some moments because I lost a lot of matches fighting with I don't know.
Speaker 3: Who was.
Speaker 4: I don't know, imaginary friends, imaginary friends, and I lost a lot of matches, very important matches because of that, and that thing I will I will do different.
Speaker 1: Well, it is that we always talk about that stubbornness that kind of helps us as tennis players, But at the same time, where do you let go and actually listen to everyone?
Speaker 2: Around you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yes, stubbornness. But the stubbornness lost me a lot of important matches. And then if I can now choose, I will get rid of a lot of stubbornness and and and be more wise, if it's now, it's easy to say, but.
Speaker 3: Put it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel the same.
Speaker 1: If we only knew that back then, yeah, otherwise we wouldn't be here gor on this podcast. This season is dedicated also to longevity, wellness, taking care of yourself. You are in incredible shape. How do you How do you do? It's what's your routine these days?
Speaker 3: I like to play tennis.
Speaker 4: Okay, last year my knee surgery, so I did not enjoy to play tennis so much before.
Speaker 3: Now I enjoying.
Speaker 4: I go to gym, I run, ride the bike, play football and I can do everything. And my knees okay, before that was like painful because it was swelling all the time. So overall I tried to do something. I cannot stay in the home and watch only TV.
Speaker 2: Would you say every day you try.
Speaker 4: To do something, well, let's say five times a week definitely when I'm home another tournaments almost every day.
Speaker 2: Well done?
Speaker 1: And since you are always the one having to inspire motivate your players. Where do you find your own motivation inspiration? You said you had incredible coaches when you were playing. Who inspires you these days?
Speaker 4: My family, who really support me a lot. For you know, it's not easy to travel. I have three kids, and especially the youngest one, and but I'm like that. I don't like to be in an environment that everything is boring. This is for me too boring. I need to do something. I need to make some crazy things. So this is me, this is my personality, and there's always going to be like this wherever I come. I have to do some crazy things. So it's just me.
Speaker 1: So that means being a woman's store, you will never get bored. It will always be crazy times.
Speaker 4: At least they start to make jokes on me. They say, okay, let's take a picture now and then in five months to see how you're going to look. If you're going to age, your hair is going to be white completely, if you're gonna, I don't know, be on some tablets. I say, Okay, don't worry, I'll be fine. I think I'll be fine. It's it's it's every job is doesn't matter of men, women. I think this young generation, what is bothering me? You know, they don't have any respect and this is I got a great person. But when I see the young generation always blaming a coach, is always changing the coaches. They expect from the coaches, miracles, the mystery shots, and they're complaining, we are not miracle workers. We are not. You know, you don't have a magic stick that you're going to change something in in two weeks, you know, and the results they are not going to come. It's just, you know, it's it's you have to work together and you have to believe. If you take a coach, you have to believe in it, otherwise you don't take a coach.
Speaker 1: But don't you think it comes also from the upbringing from our parents. Like if we would behave this way to our coaches, my parents or your parents, I'm sure would be the same. They would just tell us, like you just don't treat people that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, coming because I could not say to my parents anything. Nowadays, they behaving back to the parents, they're behaving back to the other people, and I hate this. I hate I see a lot of juniors and how they're treating coaches and this is not good. This is getting more and more in tennis, and that part I don't like. I hope it's going to change. I hope somebody is going to tell them. But it's a majority that are not behaving well.
Speaker 2: So we are telling everyone guys more respect.
Speaker 3: Generation, more respect. Right, definitely.
Speaker 1: Lastly, Goran, where do you see tennis in five years? Let's say from now you've seen both women's men's.
Speaker 2: We see how.
Speaker 1: Hard and fast they are hitting the ball. Where do you think it's.
Speaker 4: Going I think in man tennis, what is going to be biggert change for me that very soon, already now but probably next to already ninety percent of the players they're going to serve first and second, serve the same speed. And I think it's not a bad idea.
Speaker 2: They just you basically what you've done.
Speaker 3: I did this twenty years ago.
Speaker 4: But look at now you have so many guys they serve second, serve two hundred and twenty two hundred and thirty sou And it's not a bad idea. I think if you focus, then if you believe why not, so this is going to change. They hitting harder, they're hitting better, they hit they more fitter.
Speaker 3: Also, the women.
Speaker 4: They're hitting harder, they're serving bigger, young people are coming. We see three unbelievable young guys here. One is still going ten with in a Woman's ten Is. It's everything is great. They're all young, they're all good. So I think tennis is going to be okay in five years from now, but it's going to be hitting harder, harder, harder, and hopefully they're going to be more respectful for the among the coaches and towards. I don't know the people who care for them, so we.
Speaker 2: Need more respect in tennis. I'm going to check on you in five months. How are you doing?
Speaker 1: And what else? What else we've got? There was something else I wanted to ask you, but I think.
Speaker 2: We've covered it all. I hope that.
Speaker 1: You enjoy your time on the Woman's Tour, on behalf of Women's Tennis. I am so grateful when I heard the news that you know you are joining our tour. We need more people like you around and thanks to you, the Woman's Tennis will be even better.
Speaker 3: So thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: And hopefully we can talk again in six months and I will still be so ecenthusiastic talking about Women's Store.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll check on you in six months then. Thank thanks so much for your time.
Speaker 3: Thank you