Speaker 1: The second date of day. One of the keys to successfully dating is just to actually give a crap and try.
Speaker 2: That's a big key. I feel like that's too much work.
Speaker 1: The thing is, don't try too hard, because that comes off desperate. You can't try too little either, though, because then you seem like a jerk just doesn't care. Just goldielocks it and try medium till it's just right. And one of our listeners, William, emailed the show saying he's worried he may have tried too hard on his date. William, you didn't channel your inner Goldilocks for this.
Speaker 3: I tried too hard.
Speaker 4: I didn't wake up in a strange house of three bears failure.
Speaker 1: Well, we can't undo anything that happened, but why don't you tell us about it a little bit. What's the name of the woman that you went out with?
Speaker 3: Her name is Stacy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so where'd you meet her?
Speaker 3: I met her online? You know, at first, I was actually pretty intimidated just by her profile pictures.
Speaker 2: Oh, because she's like really attractive to you.
Speaker 3: Well, that for sure, but also she seems to have kind of an extravagant, sophisticated, cultured life more so than myself.
Speaker 4: I'll say, Okay, why did she put in her pictures to like to pick that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was like pictures of her on a sailboat with what looks to be her very well dressed family, maybe in Greece somewhere.
Speaker 1: Oh oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: She was, you know, at soccer games in Europe.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a match, sir.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't expect you to be fancy enough to know that.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I was really intimidating, which I actually told her that in the initial messaging.
Speaker 5: Oh you did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'm pretty honest, maybe to the fault, but.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well she obviously liked it because she responded, alexis.
Speaker 1: If a guy writes to you, I'm intimidated by you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Is that not a strong move? No?
Speaker 4: Not.
Speaker 2: I mean a football in Europe doesn't cost that much. It's like, I don't be that until. Okay, I'm just saying take it to get that. Okay, I'm just saying I take it back.
Speaker 1: Wow. But the bottom line is she responded.
Speaker 3: And yeah, she responded, all right, she said, ah, you should be.
Speaker 1: So what did you do for a date?
Speaker 3: I made dinner reservations, nice little spot. I got dressed up, even borrowed nice shirt from my roommate.
Speaker 2: Oh everyone, did you normally do that, like share fancy clothes?
Speaker 1: You have a roommate life. I used to have a blazer and we have like a community blazer.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, it's like they doody.
Speaker 1: Did that pay off for you?
Speaker 3: I mean I was feeling good, So that's helpful, I think. And she told me I looked, and she she looked incredible.
Speaker 2: Did you tell her that was scary too? How good she looked?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean I I reiterated how intimidated I was.
Speaker 1: I imagine, like cowering at everything, like just.
Speaker 2: To eat.
Speaker 1: We're playing it up for you, man, I'm sure you were fine.
Speaker 3: I think so. I mean she was really nice for the most part. I mean I saw that she loves chocolate off on her profile, so I thought i'd bring her a gift, and I brought her almond rocca cute, Okay, sorry.
Speaker 1: Was the best option.
Speaker 2: That's kind of a grandparent's chocolate.
Speaker 3: But you know, at this store and it looks nice, it has like gold foil. I thought it looked kind of fancy, but she said it's not really chocolate, which I didn't really I'd never had really eaten myself.
Speaker 1: It's kind of toffee A lot of time, harsh to say when someone's giving you a gift that's not actually take us to the highlights of the date. What were the good moments?
Speaker 3: Well, during dinner, I wanted to get to I had. I was so curious, you know, from her profile, and I kept asking her a lot of questions and I might have kind of asked too many questions.
Speaker 2: Is that possible maybe if.
Speaker 3: It starts to feel like somebody's given you the third degree interrogating you. It wasn't really my attention.
Speaker 2: But I mean, if there's not like a real natural flow to it, I guess you.
Speaker 1: Don't want the date to come off sounding like a job.
Speaker 4: In Yeah, tell me here we see yourself. Can you think of one question that went too far?
Speaker 3: I asked her if she's ever been engaged before.
Speaker 1: That date?
Speaker 2: Question? Okay? And what was her response?
Speaker 3: Well, because we talked a little bit about the house relationships and she had, uh was dating a guy in Spain for a long time, and and that's how it came up because she said it was really serious.
Speaker 2: It's kind intense.
Speaker 3: I was not trying to pry, though, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the end of the day. What happened at the end.
Speaker 3: Well, we had the almon roka for dessert, which was nice at the restaurant, and you.
Speaker 2: Just opened up the package right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, because they asked if we wanted any of the dessert, she said she wouldn't that hunger. But I said, oh, I brought this for you, and that's when I.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: That's when she turned up her nose, and so it's not really chocolate.
Speaker 3: She did say that, but then we did actually enjoy it together, and I hope she thought it was funny that I tried even to fail that, even bringing chocolate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: All right, well I'm going to give it a B plus so far. That's my that's my grade on a curve.
Speaker 3: Have you heard from her, Well, I don't really heard from her, but it ended okay, like we hugged, we said goodbye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's what Brooke does with her children though, so you can't really judge by that.
Speaker 2: But they complain about every food I am I give them.
Speaker 1: So the good news is there's a lot of room to improve from here, and we're going to try and do that when we come back and do your second date update right after this second if you're just joining us. We're on the phone with William, who went out recently with a world traveler named Stacy. Stacy has studied in the universities of Europe. She's dated the men of Spain and cheered for the football clubs of Liechtenburg, where instead of cheering hooray there they cheer and reverse. Oh really, can you say horay backwards? Yeah? That's right. Yeah, it's classy because it's European. Yeah. At the end of the second date, when we get Stacy and William beat up again. But obviously she is clearly a world traveler. He was intimidated by that, which led me to the question, William, why would she want to go out with you in the first place.
Speaker 2: Jefferson came off so hard.
Speaker 1: He said to himself that she's so worldly, she's so traveled. What would be the appeal for her.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm a nice guy, and I'm open to going on more traveling ventures. I mean, I've traveled a little bit myself.
Speaker 1: Oh, you've traveled the world.
Speaker 2: Come on, Jeffrey.
Speaker 4: Not everybody can afford that, But I think what it would be appealing is he seems like a really curious guy, right, Like, that's who someone who likes to travel website.
Speaker 1: For curious man. I think that's a totally different issue, Broke. He's like, I think you sound totally fine.
Speaker 4: By the way, William, honestly interested in her adventures, asked a ton of questions.
Speaker 1: Have you traveled at all?
Speaker 4: Before?
Speaker 1: You not travel? What's your travel experience? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I've been out of the country. I've gone to Cabo twice. Oh wow, I've driven to Scottsdale before Scottsdale.
Speaker 1: Wow, Arizona. Okay, but there's something to work right here. It's not quite you know, the Vienna Opera house, but it's close.
Speaker 4: So the positive is she could show him all these places. Jeffrey, you just have to convince her and.
Speaker 1: He can show her the golf course at Scott's Stay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's just get her on the phone.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to talk to this worldly lady. Let's get her on the phone right now. Here we go. You're ready to speak English.
Speaker 3: She does speak English, right, I think she speaks a couple of languages actually, but.
Speaker 1: English on your date is going to go really all right, I'm gonna try and see how it goes here. I'm down the number right now. Hello, bon Joel is the Stacey. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: For he French.
Speaker 1: I won't try. Sorry, Stacey, I'm hoping. This is a radio show called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning.
Speaker 5: Can I help you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need a lot of help, I really do. But mostly we're looking for help for one of our listeners named William, because he's a guy who, rumor has it you went on a date with recently.
Speaker 5: What is this about a date?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is it's a segment we do called Second Date Update where our listeners go out with someone and if they're not hearing back, or if they feel like they're getting ghosted, they can email us and we'll try and reach out to that person for them.
Speaker 2: It's a real North American continent type thing.
Speaker 1: M m yeah, sorry for being weird about all the North America stuff. It's just we we heard that you're very well traveled.
Speaker 5: Yes, I am well traveled. Who is the guy? Or which date was this? And then on a couple recently.
Speaker 1: It was William? Oh yeah, William oh William? Yes, yes, you guys went and got dinner together the other night.
Speaker 5: Yes, we went out to dinner.
Speaker 2: Okay, did you enjoy it?
Speaker 5: I don't know what you want from me here. It was it was a nice time.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well, I guess is what we want is honesty. Yeah, we're just we're trying to help out William a little bit because he doesn't understand why there hasn't been a second meetup.
Speaker 4: He really liked you a lot and thought that maybe they saw some potential between you two.
Speaker 5: I just honestly, he just wasn't cultured enough for me. And I don't know, he just he lacked manners.
Speaker 1: Oh, lacked manners? Well, hold on, are we nitpicking? Did not like have his fork in the right area of the place.
Speaker 5: He just he didn't. He doesn't have good.
Speaker 2: Etiquette, Okay, any example.
Speaker 5: Yeah, An example is he kind of yelled out when he had to go to the bathroom. You know, we're in a.
Speaker 1: Really nice restaurant, announced it to like the whole room or what do you mean.
Speaker 5: Yes, he just he got up and he says, I'm going to the bathroom, and it was like it was a big announcement.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's bad etiquette.
Speaker 1: Well, excuse me.
Speaker 4: I think he was just trying to tell her where he was going so that you didn't think he was ditching you or something.
Speaker 5: Well, he could have just said, excuse me for a minute, exactly, I'll.
Speaker 1: Be right back.
Speaker 2: Have a lot higher standards than I do.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: I think that's a little bit picky, at least for us. Is that all that he did.
Speaker 5: No, We're at a very nice seakhouse and he waved down the waiter to get more.
Speaker 1: Bread, And okay, is that is that rude? What is that?
Speaker 2: I love that bread.
Speaker 1: I know, if the bread's good, you want more.
Speaker 5: Well, it just seemed a little low class to me. He would have waited till they came to refill you know, my wine, or I'm.
Speaker 1: A good server at a nice restaurant.
Speaker 2: It's going to check on you all the time, so you expect him to be around every five minutes.
Speaker 1: I guess if I remember back to my private school, you are supposed to wait for the waiter to come to the table. You're not supposed to shout across the restaurant.
Speaker 2: Nobody lives by these rules anymore.
Speaker 1: They're like, well, that's brook, but it's not okay. When you go to an actual respected place, a.
Speaker 2: Beautiful steak dinner. Right, He's the one that picked it, he's the one that took you there.
Speaker 5: Yes, the restaurant was great. It's just I mean, there's more stuff. He's just so loud and I was whispering because there's other people around, and it was just really inappropriate for such a nice place.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, excuse me, excuse me, I'm sorry. This is William. We were at an outback steakhouse. It wasn't a Michelin star type of restaurant.
Speaker 5: I mean, oh.
Speaker 1: Sorry, hold on, hold on, hold on, William. I need to let Stacy know that William has been waiting on the other line listening to this whole conversation. He's uh, he's wanting to talk to you.
Speaker 5: It was, Yes, it was an outback steakhouse. It was the first time I've ever been. It was a very lovely Australian steakhouse. Lovely.
Speaker 1: You're so world You've never been to an outback, which is not worldly you what do you mean, stay You think that an outback steakhouse is a very like fine dining establishment.
Speaker 4: It's a big.
Speaker 1: Problement for any outback people listening.
Speaker 5: It's not that it was like the best steakhouse I've ever been, but it was just it felt authentic.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, wait did you did you look around at the other guests. You can wave down all the free bread you want there.
Speaker 5: I have traveled a lot, and not all restaurants are five star, you know, Michelin restaurants, but they're beautiful and there's culture. So I thought that that was just an authentic, you know thing.
Speaker 1: Giving it the fact it doesn't really.
Speaker 4: There's definitely culture outback, but it's not like high society culture.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, honestly, I'm just happy he didn't take me to a chain restaurant.
Speaker 1: You know, I wouldn't recommend googling out backs.
Speaker 2: It would be you should try Applebee's. It's this little quaint place.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, great Long Island girl.
Speaker 1: I don't want to give you too many ideas.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I don't even know what you guys are talking about.
Speaker 1: Okay, we don't worry about any of that. We should be worried about is William, who had a great time with you the other night. Restaurant and etiquette aside, and what he really wants is just to see you one more time and give it another chance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know what, if you do agree to go on a date with me on the second day and night, I really do.
Speaker 5: Hope you do.
Speaker 3: I will take you to a really nice place and I will show you that I have proper etiquette. I am a classy guy. I know how to behave depending on where I'm at. And wow, I want you to give a chance to show that to you.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: It was a gentleman response if I have ever heard.
Speaker 1: One, well crafted, very thoughtful. And all that's left now is stacy a yes or no? If you want to go out with him one more time, we'll pay for it and tell us if you're curtsying while you're doing it. Please.
Speaker 5: You know what I I don't do charity. I'm okay, Oh do charity?
Speaker 2: You want to be charity like that good manners and dar You really are.
Speaker 1: Worldly, aren't you.
Speaker 5: I do charity. I don't take charity, will man.
Speaker 3: I am sorry, dude, Yeah, yeah, he can't win them all. I guess I'll give it another crack out there, wave.
Speaker 2: Your hands around and ask for help again.
Speaker 1: Jeffrey in the morning. Oh my god, it just occurred to me. I totally forgot to bring up the almond roccas. Oh yeah, that sounds European and fancy.
Speaker 2: It's a classy dessert.
Speaker 1: It's not from Europe, but he should get points for bringing a classy sounding dessert to out Okay, classy.
Speaker 2: Sounding I like.
Speaker 4: My husband used to send those to is Jamake, his grandma and Jamaica, and she called them the candy with the bread crumbs.
Speaker 1: I think if you pull some gold foil wrapped candy out of your pocket after dinner, I don't care if it's half melted, that is class.
Speaker 4: It doesn't really melt because it's so hard.
Speaker 1: But I totally forgot to mention it though. I am losing my touch.
Speaker 2: That's what went wrong.
Speaker 1: It could have been at least some bonus points in his corner for having a little bit of extra you know, Jush.
Speaker 2: Dude, she's a little confused. I mean she thought the outback was fancy.
Speaker 1: Well, we didn't get it done this time, but we promised to do better next time. Yeah, okay, you can be part of that next time. If you emailed the show, we'll call that person who wasn't calling you back.
Speaker 5: Brooking Jeffrey in the morning