Speaker 1: All right, let's get started.
Speaker 2: Who's excited to hear a fabulous conversation tonight?
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you?
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: I've been super excited about this conversation all week. It's been a lot of fun getting a chance to spend some time with Hoda and watch her interact in person with other people.
Speaker 4: You of course know her from the.
Speaker 2: Today Show, but having that opportunity to see her in person, I don't know that I've ever seen anyone with a warmth and a passion for whites and a joy that is as contagious as hobus. And you'll see that when you're up here tonight and without sail. Every time you see someone meet her and walk away, almost every single time, they'll say something like, I love her so much.
Speaker 5: I love her so much, I.
Speaker 4: Think she might be my soulmate. It's very confusing.
Speaker 2: We're gonna work through that on the podcast tonight, but we're super excited to have the opportunity to partner with her on this new podcast that stems from her brilliant new company called Joy one oh one.
Speaker 5: The podcast is al also called Joey one oh one.
Speaker 2: Let's give it up with that.
Speaker 5: If you have not.
Speaker 4: Absolver, and it is so fitting that she gets to interview one of my favorite people on the planet who brought her sweet little puppy tonight. And you're gonna love this as well. From nine O two one O m G. And I choose me, the one and.
Speaker 5: Only Jenny Garth.
Speaker 2: So let's get to it without further ado hold end, Jenny, come on up, rank.
Speaker 3: Go hi, look at us together with Dottie your dog.
Speaker 5: Hi guys. Jenny.
Speaker 3: First of all, Jenny's also one of my favorite people in the world. She is quintessential everything to me because her life is full of pivots and I admire someone who has a whole bunch of different acts in her life, and Jenny Garth is that person. So Jenny, first of all, I'm so happier here are you? Just randomly in France? Like, what's happening?
Speaker 1: What is passing through? Yeah? No, it was in Paris earlier. I'm doing a job there and the timing worked out when iHeart family called you answer you know you can.
Speaker 5: Of course you do. Who wouldn't.
Speaker 3: And by the way, can I just ask quickly about cute Dottie. It's Dottie, tell me about it.
Speaker 1: She's my little girl and she this is her new Parisian outfit. I hope you like it. She just got this today.
Speaker 5: Super cute. Huh.
Speaker 3: This podcast is called Joy one oh one, and anybody who I select to be on this podcast needs to exude joy. And what I've learned through the podcast and through life is when you have such high highs, often the counterpart is there as well. The people who experience the most joys of joy or the people who've been on their knees, the people who struggled, the people who've gone through it. So I love this podcast for so many reasons because you're walking living proof of how good life is. So I want to start with the nine o two one oh days. You went straight from like small town girl to sort of global star almost like that, Yeah, how did you? How does a kid handle something like that?
Speaker 5: How did you?
Speaker 1: I don't know, honestly, Literally one minute I was playing in the cornfields and riding my pink Duffy dirt bike through the crazy yard.
Speaker 5: Where'd you grow up?
Speaker 1: Illinois? And very we're all right Midwest and on? Yeah, so very small town. I still have family there, but it was just by complete luck. You know, life always kind of let life go where it wants to go until very recently, and I still do that to a certain extent. Example, I'm here tonight, yes, But I just was always like, this is just great. Life just works itself out. And I somehow ended up in Hollywood.
Speaker 3: How, no, No, you don't get to say I somehow made it to Hollywood. So you were in the cornfields riding bike and then how did you make that track?
Speaker 1: Well, my father got very ill. We lived in Illinois. The weather's very harsh, as you know, and he needed to be in a warmer, dryer climate. So we moved our family caravan style. Couldn't afford a moving company. We had like our trucks and trailers full of things. And we went to Arizona and he recovered there, and I went started back in high school. I started high school there, junior high and high school there, and I was just living my life. I was dancing on the at the corner dance it's called the Dance Shop, and I was teaching little girls how to tap dance your age girls. And I ended up in a pageant for a scholarship to help my parents for college. I wanted to become a teacher, and one of the judges at the scholarship was the ex exec executive casting directors for ABC Television who had just left that and had to pivot his life and started his own management company, Talent Management, in LA And he was there with his wife on kind of like a little getaway but doing this for a friend, and she said to him, Randy, I really think you need to talk to her. She has something. So they had a conversation with myself and my mother and we started communicating via tech, telephone and letters in the mail. I would do videos at my acting classes. He set me up in and we would send the VHS tapes to him and he would review them. It's back his notes, and so I did that for about a year and then he said, you know what, I think you've learned as much as you need to if you want to come out for pilot season. And so my mom were like, Okay, let's give it a try.
Speaker 5: We did, and nine two one oh was the one knock.
Speaker 1: Duck knock, Hi, I'm here are you. I think you panicked a little bit, But nine oh two one oh wasn't the first and thing I did. I did a show called Growing Pains one episode of Growing Pace. Yeah, yeah, it was a really big episode. I was like girl number one and I had one line, but it consisted of one word, and that line was sticky sticky sticky. I don't even know what it meant. And then from there I did a show called Brand New Life with Barbara Eden where I played her daughter, and I was just transfixed by her and studied her every move. And that's how I fell in love with the industry and the like actual like occupation of acting.
Speaker 3: And so you land a role like nine oh two one oh, which is incredible, but it also propelled you. I mean, you remain sweet I see it today. But often when a young person gets into Hollywood, they quickly go through the meat grinder somehow and they're not the person they were. So how did you navigate that part of it?
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know how I survived, quite honestly, because I was very much thrown into the deep end, fending for myself, emancipated so that I could work longer hours, and I learned really quickly what it took to survive in the business.
Speaker 5: What did it take.
Speaker 1: It took staying home, it took staying away from the business, to survive in the business. So I would do my job and then I would go home and try to have a regular life because that's all I knew how to do successfully. And even at that point, you know, I was struggling to figure out, like who I am in the confines of this world. It's so different than where I come from. And I'd never known a famous person, never mingled with anyone, you know, this was all new for me and just thrown like, here's it. You own a house now here, you have a car payment, you have a manager or a lawyer and assistant, that all the things. Yeah, And it was just like kind of sink or swim. And I think a lot of the things in my life have been like that, like thrown in. You figure it out and you sink or you swim, and I prefer to swim.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's because, I mean, because you're grounded obviously from your upbringing. I mean the fact that you were trying to go to a pageant so that you could make money so that your parents didn't have to pay for school really says everything about you. So you have that kind of foundational stuff, But isn't it a slippery slope? Come to this party, you meet this person. You know, it's just like it's so it must be so intoxicating. It was not intoxicating for me.
Speaker 1: It was I was afraid and I can I sense people's energy, and I can. I don't like to put myself in dangerous situation, and I have a good sense of when something could potentially not be the safest environment. Okay, And so that started off for me very young, and I really did say home. I would go to work for twelve, fourteen and sixteen hours a day, I would go home and I'll wake up and I would do it again the next day, five days a week.
Speaker 3: What was the best? Like, what did nine O two one zero give you? What was the best thing that came out of that experience?
Speaker 1: I'm here with you today, Like if I hadn't done nine O two one oh, I wouldn't be where I am right now. I wouldn't have three beautiful daughters. I wouldn't be sitting here with Dottie talking to all of you. Like life just takes right where you're supposed to be and you don't understand it in the middle of the journey and on all the twists and turns of it all. But as you get older, you really are able to sort of step back and look at your life in a from a bigger scope and see things big picture. And after I turned fifty, I really started to do that, to step back and to sort of like sink to myself, because I had spent many years struggling to figure out who I was within all of this, and who am I if I'm not this to someone or playing this role, or fulfilling someone else's needs or being a mom to these little girls. So I had a really at some point when they started not to need me quite as much they were getting older, I had to think about, like.
Speaker 5: What am I doing here?
Speaker 1: What everybody around me has this incredible purpose that they feel driven towards, and I don't know what mine is. Like I know what mine has always been because someone else told me it was right, but I don't know what mine really is. So I had to get very contemplative and quiet, and I spent a couple of years doing that, and then I spent the last couple of years writing a book where I dove even deeper into And that's one of the conversations that I love the most about having my podcasts. I choose me is that I want to know who you are and why are you the way you are, and how did you get here? Because I think it's fascinating. I think how I got here as fascinating.
Speaker 3: I think, first of all, I think it's so interesting because I think all of us, whoever is listening, or whoever's in this room with us, in this moment, we've all wondered like are we in the right purpose? Like sometimes you know, when you're in flow, you feel like this must be right. Because I used to work at Dateline and I would go to Afghanistan and scary places, and I always weirdly felt like I was swimming upstream.
Speaker 5: I was fighting, but.
Speaker 3: I kept thinking, if I keep pushing, it's going to feel right if I keep trying. But there are times when you're putting a circle in a square, it's not where you're meant to be. And the minute I sat with Kathy Lee and you've sat with us many times, Drunky Monkey, we were just you know, throwing back who cares, and all of a sudden I felt in flow, and not because of the booze.
Speaker 5: It was just you were.
Speaker 3: In an environment that felt like home. It felt like you had a warm hand on your heart. It felt like you were in a resting place.
Speaker 1: I felt that I've never really felt that in the entertainment business. To be honest with you, I've always felt like an outsider, felt like, ooh, am, I is this Am I good? I don't know. I'm sure you know all those feelings of inadequacy and questioning. And it wasn't until I started meeting women after fifty wasn't like you women, like other people that we met through QBC that conference, and just all of a sudden, I felt like, oh, I've found people that are more experienced than me or have done things that I want to do in my life. And then I started to look at them as mentors yourself included, and think like, if they can do it, I can do it, and if they can support me in me reaching those achievements as well, you know, finding those people that want to pull you with them forwards to where you're meant to be, then it starts to feel right.
Speaker 3: So you feel like an outsider. Everyone's like fangirling you and oh my god, there's Jenny Garth. But you feel like you're outside looking in. You're not in the center like all of those people. When did you start to feel you know enough or whatever the word is, like I belong here. I'm not an impostor, I'm not a phony.
Speaker 5: I belong in this space.
Speaker 1: I think it really wasn't until I found that peace within myself where I felt like I belong here was so wherever I am.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't need to be in the crowd. I don't need to go to the clubs. I don't need to be the one at the parties. I don't Those things are just not important to me. I want peace within myself. And when I found that, and I found that by going back in my life and looking at the places where I hadn't felt that and really acknowledging them and thinking like, is something wrong with me?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 1: Why doesn't that do it for me? And I for so long I thought I don't fit here for a reason, what is it? Once I figured out that the reason was because I really didn't know love myself enough to say like, I.
Speaker 5: Love you period period.
Speaker 3: You know, there's so many things to admire about you, and all of the highs in your life are your greatest hits, and we all know those. But where you're formed the part of your life that gives you your just your moxie and who you're made of. For all of us, it's when we're on our knees. Like nobody said, oh my god, I had this great epiphany about my life when I was drinking Margarita's. No, it's like it's usually when you lose a loved one or when you have an illness, Like that's when you actually say to yourself, I know what I am made of because I made it through that. What did you have to make it through? What was the most difficult thing you had to go through that taught you the most about life and brought you here.
Speaker 1: I had to survive the industry that I was found myself in. I had to lose my father, who is my soulmate, like my you know, my guy. We share a birthday. And I had to have my marriage ended after seventeen years and three girls, you know, just had a My daughter got just mysteriously ill, and I thought I was losing her. We were losing her. We had to go through like accepting the fact that we might lose her life. I've there's just so many things like health wise and just challenges that we go through in life and losing very very close friends far too young. You know, two of our castmates now have left us, and you know, all the things you experience and that get you to the next place, they all make you who you are and they show you like, if I survived that, right, I can survive anything. And then you have this beautiful confidence that goes with you wherever you go. So whatever room you walk into, whatever meeting you are at the table for, you feel like you belong there because you belong to your own skin.
Speaker 3: You know, it's so interesting when I think about your life because when we talk about pivots, so when you had to leave this iconic role, everyone knew you in that role. So whenever you stepped out to try anything else, didn't matter what it was.
Speaker 5: You know, your intro, it's always the same intro.
Speaker 3: So how did you kind of step into the identity you wanted that wasn't who you were? But yet it's hard when you are associated with such an iconic character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I always will be. And you know I talk with this with the cast of the show original cast, like it doesn't matter where we go or what happens to us, if I get arrested tomorrow, They're going to flash a cast photo and every one of their names is going to be pulled into it. We joke about that, but it's true. And I think accepting the fact that that is one of the most you know, important stages of my life and my self development. Whether it was stunted by ten years, which I always think it was because that world was not real, and so just trying to create a real world outside of that real world was difficult. But I really didn't do it until I was out of that environment and I went from doing nine O two one zero to doing you know, comedy, So I feel like there's and I was terrified to do that because I thought, how do you do that? I only made people cry, like my character gets burned and stocked and shot and all the addicted, all the things they put Kelly Taylor through, but just really embracing all of that, and also when I was writing the book, going back and looking at what an impact all of even the characters that I've played, the things that they have gone through that my body actually processed, and you know, playing that character like it leaves a mark in you and it takes up that social battery that you know, that's your emotional well being. So it's just really looking back at all things to find out like what felt right and where did it not feel right, and then learning to just keep going to what felt good where you know, there was one line in the show in nineteen ninety five that I had said. It was three words, I choose me. She was choosing between Brandon and Dylan. And I didn't really understand it then because I was just you know, doing my job as a mistress. And later in life I met women who had grown up with me. When I meet, you know, when I meet anybody on the street, they feel like they've I feel like I grew up with you, Like I feel like I we're friends. I'm like, we are, we grew up together. I get it, like I understand. But I found out that those women had told me. I never knew I choose myself until Kelly chose herself in that moment. Wow, And I felt like a little weird about it because in the next moment, Kelly chose some other guy, Colin the Koke Heads New York. But so she really didn't fall through on that, which I'm not proud of. But I felt like, oh, this is something very very important that needs to continue to be discussed and talked about and given a spotlight. And it was it was in those little interactions women, those connections women that are just from the heart, that I found my purpose that I realized like, because I know, I've always been here to sort of teach people, like it's in my blood, yeah, and share something I never knew what it was. And I tried to share things that didn't weren't me that I was trying to be sharing those things when I found out, like sharing my authentic self, how that impacted other people and how they were then able to share their authentic self with me in turn, like gates opened up, And that's when I really thought, this, this is my purpose, this kind of connection.
Speaker 5: Isn't it hard not to be a people pleaser? Yeah? I mean, isn't it hard?
Speaker 3: Like because I feel like, you know, because we want people to be happy. You want people to be happy to see you want them, you want them to have a nice experience you, but also you want to take care of you. So how do did you step out of people pleasing? Are you still in the business of it?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: I stayed home a lot. Yeah, and what especially after my divorce, I got to the point where I had to learn how to please myself. Yeah, And that's pretty much all the people pleasing I focus on now, because in me is all those things, wanting other people to be happy and have great experience, that those are authentic to me. It's not like I have to fulfill your needs. I'm actually fulfilling my own needs and ones. But it's actually in turn making you feel better. So it's just coming from a completely more like honest real.
Speaker 5: What are your tattoos? I didn't see on your arm? What does it say?
Speaker 1: My daughter's handwriting so it's very hard to read. She was in she was at school at Yu and she wrote a thesis and in it was about a ritual that we always did every night when I would put my little girls to bed, I would kiss them on the forehead three times and I would say, strength, courage, and wisdom, these things I give to you. And it was from an India ri song. I don't know if you're familiar with such a good song, and it stuck with them. So she wrote this paper about it, and she was telling me, I said, write it down in your handwriting, and I'm going to get a tattooed on my arm, and she did, and it actually looks terrible. It says it looks like it says. It says, No, I can't triple of my ups on your something. Don't go to the place in Austin. If you want nice, fine tattoo, don't go there.
Speaker 5: But by the way, I love the ritual. I forget about the tattoo.
Speaker 1: It's still something that they love and they want to carry on to their children, like just filling them with that.
Speaker 3: First of all, I love the fact that your daughter's here. Yeah, and she is your right hand, your stylist, your everything.
Speaker 1: Yes, she's twenty three. She's the chief creative officer for my brand. We have a fashion brand called Me by Jenny Garth and it's exclusive on QVC. You've worn some of it, of course, And she does everything for me. And I kind of like say, you take care of everything because I don't need to succeed. I could want her to learn how to do it like I can do it, but you go lead the way and I'll be right here. You tell me what today.
Speaker 3: By the way, and also to be able to work with your daughter at this stage, I just want parenting. When you were younger, how did you keep your kids on the straight and narrow, especially given that I'm sure there were people who were coming up to them and saying, you know, who were you and that kind of thing.
Speaker 5: How did you How did you take care of them?
Speaker 1: Well, they really learned to take care of themselves first of all, which I think has made them all stronger and just intelligent and very self aware of people. Lola, for example, would I would always call her the skeptic baby because she'd be standing there and then she'd be like this world graver face, like what do you want from my mom?
Speaker 5: Like you know, oh, that's what you But.
Speaker 1: I think I just grew up my morals. I was born in a very normal family, you know, and I just made that their environment their norm. We didn't go to parties and you know, do this Hollywood thing with them, and they knew about it. It was all around them. But it was about having dinner at night and giving each other a rosebud thorn every oh you did that, connecting with them and reading book, just being normal.
Speaker 3: What is it like parenting adult children because you don't stop being a mom, and you do, you know, I know your daughter's working with you here, and that's so interesting. But there is a whole other phase of life when it comes to parenting kids who are grown. How do you stay in their lives and also help them if they let you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, they have turned into, even when they were younger, my greatest teachers. So I just some like a sponge around them, learning everything that brings them joy or makes them happier, makes them feel fulfilled or capable. And then in turn, I'm like, Okay, you got that from somewhere, so yeah, I must have that in me that I've offered you too. But I I feel like as an adult, as adult kids sound, they have each other in a completely different way. And I don't know what they safe about me, whether they're together with mom, you know. And I'm sure their experience is unlike other kids' experiences in the atmosphere that they've grown up and with a famous mom and an actor father's famous too, and I can't imagine what it must be like. But that they've turned out to be these really decent, self aware, caring kind people, I feel like I should get a trophy for that, Like I feel like I've done something very, very well, when I see how well they do in the world without me, and that's the goal. But it's also very, very tricky to know when to step back and let them make their own mistakes. And that's really difficult because there could be very large consequences for the mistakes that they're making out there in the real world.
Speaker 3: Now, I think it's so interesting that we keep like I have a seven year old and a nine year old, and I'm always like telling them things. And I knew from growing up that when I earned the most was when my mom was showing me something.
Speaker 5: I don't remember.
Speaker 3: I remember very little of what she said or talked about. But there was a moment my mom ran her first marathon.
Speaker 5: At age sixty.
Speaker 3: She decided she was going to do it, and I remember it like it was yesterday because she was trudging down it was like the Marine Corps marathons, you know, sweating to death doing it, and at mile six, by the way, she was totally wiped out. My brother, sister and I were watching her and they looked at our shoes and they were like, you have sneakers on going with mom? Mom needs somebody, And I ran with her that last twenty whatever miles, and I remember stopping at the bottom of the Ewojima Memorial just when she was running up, and we were delirious, and I had a towel and I was just whipping it around and I watched her run up that hill, and I have the vision in my head, and I remember my sister and brother were at the top, and my sister was bawling and my brother was crying.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: My brother said he was actually hungry, not crying, but whatevs.
Speaker 5: Brother.
Speaker 3: But anyway, I remember that she did that, and it's like when they when we watch our mom overcomes something, whatever it is, we think, if she did that, then.
Speaker 5: I can do this.
Speaker 1: It's so valuable. And I've always I'm the person like I am an emotionful person. I always talk about, you know, some people will try to shame you for your being emotional or you know, to this too much or whatever. I am an emotionful person. I feel like it's a superpower. I think we all have it. We just let it come out. But being being that way in front of my girls, see letting them see me in my highes and my Lise, letting them see me fall and get back up, over and over again, letting them see me at fifty fifty one, fifty two, fifty three, keep reinventing, keep doing things that scare me, keep taking chances that I've always thought I might not ever get to do that, and I might know somebody might not choose me for a role, but I can choose the role I want to play, yeah, in my life. And so they are witnessing that firsthand, and I think that that's incredibly valuable for kids to see their parents go through failures and live through them and find their feet again.
Speaker 3: Right, instead of trying to dress it up and it's no big deal. So you're you're all about this was hard, this was painful.
Speaker 1: I was on the floor and you, honestly you picked me up. Like that's what we do for each other because we're family and we're women, and that's what we do for each other.
Speaker 5: That's what we do.
Speaker 1: That's what we do good.
Speaker 5: I love all of that. That's what we do. This podcast is called Joy one oh one.
Speaker 3: I think I personally think joy is a choice. Like, look, you're choosing it daily. I mean you are deciding. You didn't say oh nine zero two one zero. Boy, you know how people talk about their high school football days and you're like, please don't talking about that.
Speaker 5: We know you won the title, but it was so long ago.
Speaker 3: Like when I've visited with you, you rarely even bring it up.
Speaker 5: I knew I had to hear.
Speaker 3: But you talk about where you are, where you're going, what your next thing is, what your next idea is, and joy must come into that. But how do you, like, how do you find joy on a daily basis?
Speaker 1: There was a good portion of my life where I couldn't find joy, and that was what that had. That was one of the scariest things for me, is really, why can't I be happy? Why I have all this goodness, these healthy kids, and wonderful house and all the things, but I couldn't find joy, like really joy within me. And I would see everybody else having it or finding it, and I would be happy for them, but think still, like, what's what am I damaged? Is something really wrong with me? And it wasn't until I really further explored all of the things that I found the joy, even in the hardships. And then you pull that into the next thing, and you pull that into the next thing, and you're.
Speaker 3: Right, like joy is a choice yeah, they can make thirty five thousand choices every day we do, starting with opening your eyeballs.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Oh yeah, like that's a choice, right right, that is.
Speaker 1: But if you like, do you want to go through life feeling unhappy? Because I've done it. It's not fun, it sucks. Yeah, But I would much rather find joy even in the darkest times, because I know what it feels like to live in the swirl of darkness and not and wonder am I ever going to feel joy again?
Speaker 5: How how old were you when your father passed.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 5: Thirty thirty four. Yeah, my dad. My dad passed when I was in college.
Speaker 3: Like, very shocking and surprising to have that kind of just pulled out from under you.
Speaker 5: Was your dad's passing sudden or was it?
Speaker 1: He had been sick for a veraci? But I the shocking part for me was that I had wanted to be by his side in his final days, and the person in my life was adamant that I needed to be somewhere else, you know, being happy when there was no chance. I was happy doing that because I was called to be with my father at a time, yes, and I was. It was a very tough decision and I chose to the wrong one. And I remember the day my dad. My mom said, you need to come today. He's not doing well. I race. I got a rental car in San Diego, California. I left my family with their dad, my girls with their dad, and I drove like a maniac to Santa Barbara by myself, and I got there moments after he died. And it's it's like the biggest instance of my life not listening to my instincts and knowing what I needed to do, you know, And I'll never always regret that.
Speaker 5: Do you feel him, Yeah?
Speaker 1: I do. I feel I feel my dad all the time, and I feel Luke all the time. It was another very important person in my life that suddenly passed. Yeah, you know, still really very unable to accept that reality because it it doesn't seem real to me. No, I know it seems real to children, but I it's when you lose someone like that so suddenly it's hard to accept it.
Speaker 5: So wife and death, I mean, it was so funny.
Speaker 3: My seven year old was and we were in bed and she was saying, like, what happens after we die? And I said, well, honey, we you go to heaven. And she said, well, I still have diabetes. In Heaven's she has diabetes and I and it's a lot for a little kid. And I said, no, honey, we won't have that. She was, well, we all be together and I said yeah. And she said will we remember this life, the one we have right now? And I said, I don't know. It may actually be so good that we don't remember this life. I'm not quite sure, but it reminded me that I would. I was never able to talk about death after my father passed because it was so painful.
Speaker 5: It's like you, it seemed unreal.
Speaker 3: Or when I when you lose someone who you cared deeply about, you don't even want to discuss, and then your a little seven year old blurt something out about how we're pain free and all happy and together and all of a sudden you feel like a lightness and all of that.
Speaker 5: This podcast is called Joy.
Speaker 3: One oh one, So I'm gonna take us up to Joy, But will you let's just talk a little bit more about like I feel.
Speaker 5: I felt joy won the next one.
Speaker 3: I mean, sorry, but I know that it's not come on like the next winning to me was like collective effervescence it was my head was exploding by the way I took my girls. They love og and Enobi and he was at Dick's Sporting Goods.
Speaker 5: Shout out to Dix.
Speaker 3: And I brought my kids in the back and they were squealing like it was Disney World. And when he walked in, it was like their heads exploded. And I was thinking to myself, this is joy. Like I'm watching my kids watch a guy who did something incredible. Talk to me about when, like, I know, some things are circumstances and some things are inside out your book excuse me as a New York Times bestseller, a great book, and it's full of life lessons, But tell me about the joy that you unearthed when when writing that book.
Speaker 1: I think it was just the joy of living the life that I've lived. Yes, you know, I'll never forget. I'm sorry, my daughter's here and hearing this again. But when I was going when I was just told that I was going to be getting a divorce, my then husband said to me, someday you'll someday you'll thank me for this, and I thought, well, I don't think so, but he was right.
Speaker 5: He was right.
Speaker 1: He was right, and it took me a very long time to accept that and to believe it, you know, because I wanted that to be wrong for so long. And once I said, you know what, I think you were right. Like, we're both doing great, our kids are great. Like I feel like I wouldn't have the life that I have now with my new husband if it hadn't been for you disrupting things like that. And I'm actually really grateful, you know. And it's just finding like the gratitude in even the darkest and the hardest points in your life. Finding those moments that like you can say that that is why I'm here driving right now because of that pain, you know, And that's where we find the joy to keep going, because yeah, there are gonna be more painful moments, They're gonna be more hard times, but it's about finding those little like connective tissue, yes, that can get us to the finish line.
Speaker 3: Wow, well girl, you're not even anywhere near the finish line.
Speaker 5: You are cruising.
Speaker 3: I am so happy, Jenny to be sitting with you. You're a dream. I'm how we bored your dog to a snoozeville. Yeah, Dottie's snoozing. It's so sad.
Speaker 1: She has jet lags.
Speaker 5: She has jet lag.
Speaker 3: But I want to thank you for flying here to be with me to can And I want to thank your daughter too.
Speaker 5: You guys give it up for Jenny.
Speaker 1: Guard chank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Jenny.
Speaker 5: Oh my good
Speaker 1: Gotty says thank you.