Speaker 1: I'm gonna still stick with my prediction that JJ McCarthy will if he does have success. It's a little bit of a brock Pretty thing. It's the coach, it's the left tackle, it's the weapons that will put him in a place that I think elevates him beyond what he would be with average personnel, average coach or bad. I don't think brock Party is good enough to save a bad situation, but I think in the current situation with Trent Williams, Kittle, Jennings, Shanahan, McCaffrey, I think more than capable, I tend to think McCarthy's going to fall into that. I mean left tackle, head coach, running back, tight end. I think I think JJ McCarthy would have to be bad not to have some brock Pretty level success where you know, oh, he's not a physical specimen, but he can complete passes and move the chains.
Speaker 2: I do think though he you know, brock Purdy got to come in toward middle of the end of the year, right, so there was less pressure, and let's face it, when Jimmy Garoppolo shattered his ankle, that the expectations for brock Purty were zilch. I mean I thought their season was over, and then the kid just started rattling off games. You know, for JJ McCarthy, a little like Trey Lance when the forty nine ers drafted him, kind of like Caleb, but we didn't really believe in Eberflus. It's pretty rare that a guy that was drafted pretty high starts on a team that, what do you think is a fair expectations anything less than the NFC Championship game with their roster, their coaching staff. It's really really high, you know, It's not like nine to eight and some growing pains. You know, justin Jefferson had some comments within the last week. You can just tell it's like our expectations here are high, and it's like this is a work in progress.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The good thing is you can get better, right He might not be same with Caleb saying, with a lot of these guys, what they look like in September, they might look a lot better in November. But it can go the other way too. It can break you. So if you have a couple of tough games, how do you handle that adversity? That's that's really what all the NFL is right, is handling the tough times to get to the better times.
Speaker 1: I was reading somebody in the Athletic rank the coaching staffs, and I didn't disagree. He had Minnesota as the best coaching staff in the league. I think he had San Francisco with Kyle and solid two.
Speaker 2: Are you talking the whole staff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean basically head coach, top two coordinators. He had Minnesota number one. And I think, and I've said this about brock Purty. I mean literally he got the keys to a Mercedes. You get Shanahan, McCaffrey, Trent Williams at the time, Debo Iu Kittle. I mean that's hard to mess up. I mean, if you're just capable, if you're quick above the shoulders, which I think JJ McCarthy and Brock Purty are. I think they're smart guys. The downside to it is it's not it's a hard eval It's hard to evaluate somebody when they're I mean, it would be like putting somebody with Charles Barklay Shack and Ernie Johnson. It's hard to really say what. Kenny Smith is certainly capable, but his role on that show is to kind of poke the bear and just kind of have fun and be the straight man, and so it is hard to make. It's an easy evaluation on Jaden Daniels last year. Oh shit, he's carrying a bad online, a defensive coach, a one weapon offense.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: It's like Andrew luck easy a Herbert's rookie year. Wow, this is impressive. I think JJ's going to be a hard evaluation because how much of the success is based.
Speaker 4: On I mean, let's be honest.
Speaker 1: Last year, in Week fourteen, Sam Darnald was first or second in MVP. He was a bust going to Minnesota. So like now, I don't even know quite what to make of Donald.
Speaker 4: What is Donald?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm pretty high, I think Donald. I think their team's going to be pretty good, you know, giving health, the talent in Seattle, I would expect, you know, pretty high things for Sam, maybe not throw thirty five touchdowns, but to just be a solid player in the NFL moving forward, you know, be a guy that's on the good side of the top fifteen of the quarterbacks, not you know, somewhere between twenty two and thirty two, like most people thought he just sucked. But one thing, going back to Donald, he said that change his career was not just Kyle believing him, but watching brock Purty operate. And the thing that separated brock Purty immediately was not his height, was not his arm strength. It was all the intangible stuff which he had built for four years at let's face it, when he got there kind of an average football program that him and Matt Campbell transitioned into a high level football program where he was getting offered by USC and that big reason was because of brock Purty, you know. I mean, let's face it, mel Tucker got some big jobs because you know, got a huge extension because of Kenneth Walker. Sometimes one or two individuals, yeah, at not the top tier programs can change the course of your career. So brock Purdy, his intangibles are a huge separating factor for why you know, all the guys with the forty nine ers, coaches and players believe in them, you know, JJ, He's just gonna have to prove it, you know, and it's gonna have to be part of his repertoire. Are you getting there at five in the morning, Are you grinding Monday through Saturday? Because that's all these quarterbacks, that's all they talk about. It's not just the grind on Tom Brady's been talking about Mondays and Tuesdays for fifteen years.
Speaker 1: So you and I both agree on this that the Terry McLaurin situation in Washington is troubling. So I liked the Deebo acquisition because he's a chess piece and Cliff Kingsbury would be. You know, a play designer is good with chess pieces, but Debo is not as good consistently, or as healthy consistently, or as productive consistently as Terry McLaurin. And Terry's been the guy that's been I mean because of where he was drafted. Terry hasn't gotten the huge payday yet. In fact, you could argue before amor On Saint Brown's contract that McLaurin and omor On Saint Brown are the most under underpaid weapons in the league. So I actually get Terry McLaurin saying guys like I have outperformed my contract fourfold. Deebo is a guy that's not going to be a center piece, more of a chess piece, struggles to stay healthy. No, no, no, no this, I'm not doing any team favors on this.
Speaker 4: I kind of side with Terry mcclaurin.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 2: You Belichick talked about this for a long time, the locker room dynamics and money. I mean, you're dealing with young people who value themselves based on their contract relative to their peers. You know, it's hard with NFL contracts because it's convoluted, because a signing bonus is and pro rated money. But basically they make a very similar amount of actual cash going into their bank account week one through seven this year, Debo and Terry McLaurin last time I checked. Terry McLaurin had thirteen touchdowns last year and it was a massive reason that Jayden Daniels became a star. And if you're him, like what about all the sweat equity when this franchise was a joke. Yeah, I was the good guy doing the right thing. You bring in this other guy who is the GM's guy right from the forty nine ers, but he peaked, you know, part of the reasons Kyle got rid of him. He's like chubby wide receiver. When do you ever hear about that, Like, couldn't stay in shape, got moodies, asked for trades before. Now he comes and we're making similar money. These are human beings, right, I totally understand, Like that's not really I feel like a part of the reporting. It's not like and Terry would come out and say I'm jealous or angry because but you can't tell me that didn't play a part. You think I'm gonna make the same amount of money as this guy. You know we're both in contract years. Yet I this is my team, which I've been here from day one. You just bring in this guy. I also wonder if it showed him like what this administration they weren't my people, So I better be pretty careful now. They're gonna want me to like on the line now. But what if I get hurt and then I can't get a contract after this year? They don't care. They'll just move on. Because wide receivers this isn't you know, tackle or defensive ends not it's not. It's a pretty easy position to replace. Even if Debo fails. They could just draft a guy next year in the first round or the second round, or hit on a guy in the fourth round. Who knows, maybe McCaffrey's brother becomes a fifty catch guy. It's an easy you could argue, it's the easiest position now to find.
Speaker 1: Oh I can name off the top of my head the tank Dells and the Puka Nakuas and the Amora on Saint Brown's rounds four or five, Jennings and San Francisco's. I think it's seventh round guy wide receivers easily now. Now it can be the most inflammable and bustable first round pick because they come in.
Speaker 4: You know, it's an ego position.
Speaker 1: They come in the first round, but by and large it's I just I look at Terry McLaurin and I tried to personalize it, and I'm thinking, he's been a good guy, he's been productive, he was the star. He is, to a large degree, is the one thing you could build Aiden Daniels around, not the old line of the run game or tight end. I think you have to take care of him. And for the record, I wouldn't have said this ten years ago, but you can pay two weapons now and they're not paying a running back big money or a tight end like ten years ago. The money was dispersed often more on the defense than offense. In New England it was I mean Brady was taking cuts in the NFL. Now, the Rams like the Rams, the Chiefs, they pay like one defensive player. So I'm okay paying two weapons. I'm okay with t Higgins and Jamar Chase, I'm okay with it.
Speaker 2: Well, imagine if you're terry too. So you look around and you go listen. I'm not even comparing myself to Jamar Chase or Ceedee Lamb or Justin Jefferson, but let's go dk Metcalf the next year. Guys who early on in his career had like the greatest start ever. Last couple of years have been weird. The guy that gets penalties every game, and Seattle's like, yeah, we're kind of out of this business. He said, he asked for a trade. I think they were ready to pivot, and he goes, well, he just gets one hundred and fifty million dollars and sixty seventy million dollars in guaranteed, and he's a question mark of like can you corral this guy? He's like a better version of some of these crazy guys. I am everything you would want, character check all these boxes and I produce and I can't get you. Guys won't even offer me anything. So they want him, and it's the NFL. It's cut thrown. I totally understand it, but I think they want him just to play this season on the fifteen million dollars and then evaluate after that. Now, this is this isn't the NBA, right when these guys ask for trades like you don't just he's gone, Like that's not how they're going to operate. And I think these guys know now that they'll get fined and they can't take them back. So they show up so they don't get fifty thousand dollars a day, but they don't really have to do anything. But is it worth having this guy who's kind of the heartbeat of your one of the heart beats team got being mad in a weird mood like the expectations for Washington. This is why it's hard. And all these coaches say, what happened last year is kind of irrelevant this year because guys want to get paid. Guys got injured, some guys are gone, but every team is they had nothing but good vibes last year. Now this year it's like huh yeah no.
Speaker 1: And the other thing is, this is not the NBA where it's hard to name a player whose career was ended because of an injury. It's the same in baseball outside of pitchers and arms. I mean, baseball careers can last forever. In football, it's just one shot to the knee. You're not the same wide receiver. So like I get the psychology of mclaurin's, Like, bro, I'm taking I take hits at practice. Like we can all name ten pro football careers have been ended early because of injuries. It doesn't happen in basketball and baseball or hockey as much. So I get mclaurin's. There's a certain insecurity about football players. I get I want to get paid.
Speaker 2: Totally, and I think they see it at training camp and we're numb to it as fans and coaches and gms don't care. But you see guys every single day. So and so shattered his leg, so and so ripped his achilles a lot of times. It's like the seventy fifth man, So no one cares. Those players are standing there right in that drill and see the cart come out, and they knew that guy help. It might be their buddy. They might have been eating lunch with them, was on the practice squad, They've been hanging out with them for a couple of years. They see that cart leaving with his helmet, they go, his career could be over, and then a couple of days later he's waved injured. And so for every time that we see well, because I always say this, most good players see the majority of their contract, like Russell Wilson is kind of an outline if you look at the landscape of the league, all the top players. Because we haven't had catastrophic injury to a lot of the top players in recent years, they're seeing all the guaranteed money and the non guaranteed money of their contract. But it's just I wouldn't take that risk if our any of these guys either, because all it takes is one guy fall in India and your career is done, or you're just never the same and all of a sudden you go from a twenty million dollar player to a veteran minimum guy.
Speaker 1: So Mike Brown's the old owner of the Bengals, and he kind of lashed out and said, you know, the Trey Hendricks and stuff.
Speaker 3: You know, he goes.
Speaker 1: A lot of media makes good points, but a lot of media is just talking. And I was thinking about it as I was flying from Rhode Island back to Chicago tonight. It is hard to have an a level quarterback and missed the playoffs. Fourteen of the thirty two teams make it, so forty percent of the league makes it. Joe Burrow, there's an argument, was the most efficient quarterback in the league last year. It's much more than Mahomes, So there was an argument on a week to week basis just efficiency quarterback rating, Burrow was the best.
Speaker 4: Quarterback in the league last year. But think about this in an offensive.
Speaker 1: League and they didn't make the playoffs.
Speaker 4: They didn't make it.
Speaker 1: That's almost john impossible in the NFL in twenty twenty four to twenty five. If your quarterback, I mean it's you don't even have to have a great quarterback. You can have a quarterback having a great year. Sam Darnold, you're gonna win thirteen twelve, thirteen fourteen games. They didn't make the playoffs. And the reason they didn't make the playoffs. So you say, well it's the coach, Well then fire him. Well, they won't do that because you'd have to pay out a couple of years the contract is is we so Trey Hendrickson, They literally I think they're thirty second in quarterback pressures without Trey Hendrickson like he is their pass rush and they're I mean, he's it, He's the pass rush and there I mean, listen, Philadelphia can get pressure on the quarterback whe or without Jalen Carter. Jalen Carter is the game changer. He's like one of one, his body type, his quickness, Hendrickson's not great against the run, but he is their pass rush. But this is like the fourth straight year. There's a contract squabble here, there's there's a third straight year. Do you think if Cincinnati doesn't make the playoffs again and and and will give Burrow another great year because he's a great player. Do you think Burrow would just say just go scorts to Earth and.
Speaker 4: Say because I do.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: I think Joe is bright, self aware. You're starting to see him now do stuff in Paris in the offseason. He is so frustrated with the organization, he gets away from it, like he goes abroad. He's not gonna stay in Ohio. I think if they I think they're the fascinating team. If Cincinnati misses the playoffs, I think Joe Burrow and his representatives may get ugly.
Speaker 2: The problem is we've seen how Mike Brown operates in that scenario, he just tells you to kick rocks. Either with Carson Palmer, He's done it this offseason, He's done it in years past. I think they like the Bears last year, it's like, you should have fired I Reflute, you could have hired Mike Vrabel and you're probably a playoff team in Caleb No one, We're not even talking about it. He's just solid, right, he just would have worked. And this offseason the Chargers went through this forever like Anthony Lynn, Mike McCoy, Brandon Staley says, hire a real coach. What did they finally do Jim Harbaugh? Who does everyone boughts for the last two years? The Chargers Why because they got a real coach and this is a team. Imagine if they had fired Zach Taylor last year. Like obviously the Bears being in Chicago is a hard job to pass up, especially they're gonna pay a lot of money. But to coach Joe Burrow, I mean, I'm sorry, like you're kind of remembered on wins and losses, not just like well I coached the Bears. Well if you lost, no one cares, right, no one's really talking about Matt Maggie, right, he would rather coach Joe Burrow than mis Tubisky. So does do they get Ben Johnson to just Mike Vrabel, like, Hey, I want that job over Drake. It's Joe Burrow. So I think that it's hard to overcome this when you hire chief coaches, and that's kind of listen. Zach Taylor's probably a nice guy, and you know, solid NFL mind, but we're not talking Sean McVay, Kyle Shanning. He's not super dynamic. The organization isn't super dynamic. But you can overcome that. Like, no one ever said that about the Chargers till they got Jim Harbaugh and then they said Jim Harba said to listen, but you want me, I need X, Y and Z. And now they're paying big money for all these people and you feel.
Speaker 3: Good about them.
Speaker 1: But the difference is the LA market and the deal that Dean Spanos has, you know, like the dollar a year lease is they are swimming in cash because the LA market drives so much revenue. Cincinnati doesn't. Their game day revenue is near the bottom of the league. So Brown won't pay fifteen million for a coach and twenty four million for a staff. I don't think they'll pay half that, whereas Spanos can go listen so.
Speaker 4: Far as a bank so far is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Or if they won't, Joe Burrow's got to ask out then soon because you know, or their team's good enough they can overcome it. But if that's the case, they go nine to eight and they miss it again, it's clear that their coaching staff sucks. They fire them, and then next year, whoever the hot guy is, they end up with a third tier guy. It's like, you gotta get out because this is we've seen this song and dance. I saw Antonio Gates point at Philip Rivers. Let's face it. I mean, they didn't exactly have the greatest coaches a lot of their prime I mean, can you imagine if those two guys would have had a Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahana, Kevin o'k who knows the way we talk about that run of like I remember those four out of the last seven years the Chargers have been in the championship game and made a couple of Super Bowls. And that's the difference of just like, oh that one time Joe Burrow made the Super Bowl or he's going competing to go to the Super Bowl every single year. So you would have to short the Browns or excuse me, the Bengals because usually an owner old guy like Jerry. I've known a lot of older businessmen that usually don't become more open minded in their mid seventies. That's not how it works, so this is not changing with the Brown family.
Speaker 1: Nothing says summer like long days, clutch plays, and firing off a few bets, all with DraftKings Sports Book. As the season heats up, so do the bets. And draftking sports Book has you covered home run props, odds boosts, whether you're chasing dingers, jumping in mid game, midgame bets are great. There's always action to be had, so if you've never been on baseball before, it's really easy.
Speaker 4: Pick a guy to hit a home run, hammer.
Speaker 1: Some live odds mid game, or you could just ride with your team and hope for the best. No spreadsheets, just vibes and dingers. Here's something special for first timers, new DraftKings customers.
Speaker 4: You know the rule. Bet five bucks and get one hundred.
Speaker 1: And fifty bucks in bonus bets instantly so just download the DraftKings sportsbook app. Please use the code you got to use this code.
Speaker 4: To get the deal. Column c l I N.
Speaker 1: You got one hundred and fifty bucks bonus bets betting just five only on DraftKings.
Speaker 4: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 6: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight hope and wire text hope and y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino in Resorting, Kansas twenty one on over agent Eligibility varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario New customers only. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. Four Additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKANNG dot co slash audio.
Speaker 1: So just from Afar, you know you have to be careful about OTA's and mini camps and camps. So the mica thing from Afar feels like a circus. But when you're covering it, does it feel like a circus?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean I've seen a circus, and it involved Terrell Owens and his arrival here and the cryo chamber or whatever he had, the barometric pressure that he brought out, all the weird stuff he had that was circus like. But yeah, this is it's a circus from the outside and here because you have the star player out there. Yesterday, I got out early to practice and watched him and he did not wear his team issued jersey, which Schottenheimer wanted him to wear, and then they went and talked to him and convinced him to put on his jersey. But I'm just no, matter what's happening in camp, it's like looms over everything. And so I have been at Camp four when there's a big thing going on in a huge trade.
Speaker 3: I remember the Eagles beat the.
Speaker 5: Cowboys to Ocean Wah, you know, the big the cornerback that Nomdae Oceanwah one year, and boy Jerry's beating over that deal because he was trying to get a deal and that was all happening in real time, but we watched it all happening.
Speaker 3: And this is a little bit like that.
Speaker 2: In that daily we're.
Speaker 5: Spending as much time with our cameras in our eyes on Micah as we are what's happening on the field. It's too bad because I think while Micah Shodenheimer have really developed a nice report, I feel like it's overshadowing and somewhat undermining his full operation.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean lost in all of it is the fact that George Pickens a really difficult guy to cover. I mean, he's very He's a very gifted guy. Emotional, can be juvenile, but with Ceedee Lamb and George pick it's just pure in terms of pure talent. Those are tremendously gifted receivers. What are we getting from that side of the football? Football related Dak CD and.
Speaker 5: Pickens, you know, I would say, and we had a good long visit with Pickens yesterday doing our Doomsday podcast. We had murder and you talk about a guy who is in heaven.
Speaker 3: I mean it's remarkable.
Speaker 5: And he and CD together, it's the best duo they've had in many years. You know, CD and Amari Cooper were together. I think there's the potential because now CD's older and he's become a superstar, and Pickens is in such a good headspace because he needed to get out of Pittsburgh it's a contract year. It's just like the opposite of Micah's thing. Micah is just this all this drama George could not.
Speaker 3: Be had, and he believes that he's in. You know, I know we go back and forth on what Dak.
Speaker 5: Prescott is, but what Dak Prescott is is way better than anything the Steelers have had the past three seasons, and so pull yesterday he said, I'm gonna go for twelve hundred yards this season, and I wouldn't I wouldn't doubt it because one thing they're trying to do is instead of just throwing fades and vertical routes and go routes, because they're hitting him on bubble.
Speaker 3: Screens, drags crossers.
Speaker 5: And I even watched him yesterday there was some something the Cowboys do like on a rub route to get CD open.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm just telling you.
Speaker 5: This guy is the happiest guy in camp like that. I came away from that George Pickens interview thinking I have not seen you know, te O is always brooding and weird, and again I had a really rough relationship with him and all that, but this guy is just beaming.
Speaker 3: Now I get it.
Speaker 5: Let's let's see how he is when they don't prow to him for whole game or something like that. But right now, man, that those connections look good and what it's done, it's freed up whoever's going to be. Third wide receiver Jalen Tolbert Meingingo, Jalen Brooks, Like those guys now have less pressure on them. And like yesterday, two of those guys made like incredible circus catches And I just think they have less pressure because they you have two stars and they can just go be.
Speaker 3: That's what Aikman always used.
Speaker 5: To tell me, is that he cared more about the third receiver than he did the second receiver. And what it was is he just felt like with Alvin Harper and Michael they paid so much attention that Chilvin Martin was his favorite guy because he knew he was always going to reopen.
Speaker 3: So anyway, I would say right.
Speaker 5: Now the receiving, the receivers plus the quarterback, that's a very positive thing about this camp.
Speaker 1: Well, the Live Tour makes it stop in Chicago. Just part of the journey of Live and it's unique style and its popularity. And anybody that listens to me knows that I have supported the Live Tour from the beginning. I never loved the way the PGA Tour, which was officially a charity, treated some of its golfers. And I had said for years that Greg Norman's and Phil Mickelson's had verbally come out and said they were disappointed, and so when they left, I supported them and still do. Kevin naw also made that decision. And you know, when I defended live golfers, one of the things I said was, you know, these guys grew up wanting to be on the PGA Tour. They dreamt of the US Open and Pebble Beach and the Masters. So this was a hard decision. A lot of people looked at the dollars and said, well, it's easy now. When you have a dream and you land it, it's hard to separate you from that dream. Do you remember, Kevin, the day, the week, the car ride when you and your family decided I'm going to leave the PGA to two And do you remember the emotional moment of that, the epiphany.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do.
Speaker 7: It wasn't an easy decision. I thought about it for for weeks. I just discussed it with my team, my family and even you know, I haven't had a top with jam onhand before I left, Like I literally called them, you know, with the pape when I had the offer and I had the contract, and I waited a bunch of options. But at the time, there were some of the things that some of the players would have would wanted to see changing the PGA Tour, the direction of the PEDIA Tour, wanted to go, and none of those things were happening. And when this living the lead was forming and the offers were going out, and it was a great opportunity for me because I played the PGA Tour for nineteen years and I love it. I loved every minute of it, and I was grateful to be there. I enjoyed it. It was a great platform for me to play, and I'm grateful and thankful. But when this opportunity came along to play this team style with individual team play around the world and at the same time, you know, have some security, not that I didn't with Pediatur you know, I was pretty successful out there as well, but it sound like it was a new challenge and it was exciting and a lot of the great names of the game of the golf were joining, and I wanted to be a part of it. I wanted to be a part of this new adventure and that's the reason why I made the job.
Speaker 1: You know, I think they're initially in Like any change in life, there's animosity. People don't like change. In America, forty percent of Americans never live outside of the area code they were born in. Isn't that crazy? So so when there was change, I remember going on the air and saying, yeah, there's going to be some animosity, there's gonna be some emotion with it. Did do you think that's dissipated over the last year, that that initial shock is now Well, I can watch the Shambo at this tournament, I can watch Kevin Nall here. Is that there's a realization that this is what's happening in all business.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think in the beginning, you know, like you said, people are not comfortable with change.
Speaker 2: And when we were.
Speaker 7: Making this chump, you know, the PGA tour, a lot of the media, you know, they said it's not going to happen, They're going to fold in six months, four months. You know, it's never going to last. But we've the league has proven that we're sticking around. And you know, and when our players, you know Brooks want a major rice and want a major when you know playing live and where, and these guys are still playing well in major championship and showing good performance and watching us grow. They're starting to realize that we're not doing and we're sticking around. And that's the same time when the PGA Tour is asking for investment from p IF. Then you know all those you know.
Speaker 2: At tacks of.
Speaker 7: Towards the players that made the first jump is kind of it's been silenced a little bit.
Speaker 1: I've always loved Phil Micholson and I read a I don't think there's a book about him.
Speaker 4: I don't think he loves the book.
Speaker 1: But I loved him more when I read the book because he's so unapologic, unapologetically Phil Mickelson. And there was a point in his life he probably he probably ate a little too much. He was a little more obnoxious with tour members. Michelson's a character and but what I love about him he leans into it. Now now you're getting the older, more mature, wiser Phil Mickelson. Have you watched him chain, I guess have you seen the change in Phil in the last twenty years when you've been around him ever, played with him, played against him.
Speaker 4: Have you seen it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've seen skinny Phil, shot Phil, gambling, Phil, drinking Phil. Look, he's been nothing but great to me. First time I played with him, I was twenty one years old. We played in the final group. That's the first time I put it in the final group at the Phoenix Open. He ended up winning the term and I finished second. And he's been nothing but great to him. You can always go go to in ask for any advice, whether it's golf, game, life, meeting you want, he would give you his time, his sincerity. He's been nothing too great. I think he is the same way right now to all the younger kids out here. I think he's a great leader. Like whether I don't not. Obviously, you know, you can't please everybody, but a lot of the people out here respect him, and I personally respect him, and I'm a big fan of Phil, and I think what he's done for the game of golf we had to be thankful for.
Speaker 1: I was not mature enough at twenty two to twenty three to be like a professional quarterback in the NFL. You know, the leader of a billion dollar franchise. You guys are not on a team necessarily, although you are the iron Heads on the LIB too now. But Bryson de Shamble was a fascinating guy. I didn't love him when he came out. I didn't like him. You know, the thirteen pieces of bacon, the nine protein shakes. I'm like, this feels like he's selling me something. It's too obnoxious. He pivoted over the last two years. I find him incredibly likable now. And I go back to he was young. He was a good looking, big testosterone. Have you noticed his personality. He feels a little humbled, a little more, a little wiser. But I find him now incredibly likable, and I didn't four years ago.
Speaker 7: I always joked to him. I was like, look, I was nice to you before you became a big star and before you were likable.
Speaker 2: I always liked.
Speaker 7: Him from day one. You know. I remember talking to him before when he wasn't playing so good, and you know, when he was doing the side straddle, and I'll come talk to him about on the putting green, what his theories were. And I played with him in the QB team play chart shootout. What a year?
Speaker 3: What was this?
Speaker 7: I can't even remember twenty seventeen or eighteen, whatever it was, we've teamed up. We finished third, and I got to know him pretty well then, how he played the game and what his you know, all these calculations that he made, and it was it was fascinating him. He would calculate puts off the green from what the fairies were running at stemp, and then from the green on to the hole that how many feet that is and that stemp and he would with the slope and you would say, this put's playing forty seven feet and he did and hit it like perfect speed or make it and it was incredible. But I think people got to know him and watch him mature and grow up and became this likable, interesting character, and we need more characters like that in the golf game. Whether you like him or not, and I think most people do like him. He's he's an interesting guy. And what he's done with his body and his game, the transformation that he's gone through, it's incredible. He's an incredibly talented player. I always enjoyed my conversations with him. But look, you know, when you're twenty one, twenty two and you're a millionaire, and you know, you think you have the world bides you know, you know, it's a little bit of a growing I bet that was the same way when I was young. There you and I turned pro at seventeen and got on the tour when I was twenty. You know, when you're county and but you need a little bit of that to make it so. I think if you kind of look at that and get to understand the guy and get to understand the players, I mean, we're not We're much better than football and other other sports. I mean, we're much more mature and more well behaved, i'd say, but it's I think we watched him grow up.
Speaker 1: There's a legendary piece of footage. I'm talking to Kevin Naw about you and Tiger Woods when your speak play after you hit the pot and he does the same thing Tiger. There's only two athletes in my lifetime, Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan. That literally changed how I watched TV. I would cancel stuff on a Sunday to watch Tiger Woods. Yeah, do you think that was it?
Speaker 4: You know, it was sort of.
Speaker 1: It wasn't obviously pre internet, but it was a pre TikTok golf felt those games felt those tournaments with Tiger, it just felt like otherworldly. You think golf will ever have that again?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think so. I think Bryson is his closest to you know, the excitement. I think Rory's pretty exciting. I think Rom's pretty exciting, and Jouquin's becoming that player as well. I think there's different characters of the game that bring that kind of energy. Obviously, Tiger was you know, his dominating in his you know, his power, and he's blowing the field a way and you know, even though he's four back with nine to Plague, they're like, oh, he's got to win. You know, he's gonna go on this crazy run. And I remember watching as a kid and I'm I mean, you know, being a fan of Tiger, it's it's incredible. I mean, but I think there are characters that can follow his footsteps or become maybe not that Tiger Wood's icon level, but you know, up close to that level, and we can have three or four guys kind of equal tighter, you know what I mean. But I think golf has become more more entertaining, more exciting than than before. Back in nineties, I grew up watching golf, you know, in the nineties, you know, and you know I became a pro in the early two thousand and I played all these with these guys on the senior tour that's playing now. And I think golf has become more entertaining. I mean there's more characters of the game. I mean you got you know, Bryce and that bombs and cuts corners. You got Rovery also, you know Scotti, Shaffer getting arrested.
Speaker 2: I mean there's I think it's entertaining.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know, we have some John Daily, you know the you know, the former John Days of the guys right now. Look, I think golf is in a good place. Accept this division. I think once this we find a way to get the players back together more often. I think I think golf is going to go up another level. The volume