Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories. Done done yay? Another episode of that s Messed Up? An SVU podcast.
Speaker 1: My name is Lisa, my name is Kara, And you know, we talk about episodes of SVU. We talk about the true crimes they're based on. Sometimes we talk to guests.
Speaker 3: Not today, but that's okay. And at the beginning we do. You'll know, you'll know what. You'll get it, you'll get what we can't have. I guess did you see?
Speaker 2: There was a why No No writer interview talking about a Heather's reboot and she basically just said, well, that ship is sale. Yeah, that's a crazy way to say. She died two months ago, Like I don't, Well.
Speaker 3: She died two months ago, yeah, Like also, but I don't know. First of all, oh, the school shooting of it all? Is that?
Speaker 1: What? No?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But does Shannon But does Shannon Doherty's character survive? Casey, you would know?
Speaker 2: No, I think all of Yeah, that's another thing, Like that's the.
Speaker 1: Thing because the main Heather died like the main Heather died really young of like some kind of cancer. So but it's not like they would bring back the old Heathers because unless it's.
Speaker 2: Like, well they redid that TV show. Brandon Scannell was in it. There wasn't a TV show reboot, but it got fucked over because of the state of the world.
Speaker 3: Yes, I watched every school.
Speaker 1: I watched every episode of it, and then I think I had Brendan Scanell send me the episode that they didn't air because I was like, I have to know.
Speaker 3: How it ends.
Speaker 2: The fashion was very like forward and fun, you know, I was, Yeah, it was a bit.
Speaker 3: It was fun. There was a boy Heather like, it was great.
Speaker 2: Well, I started watching a show on the plane I'd like to bring up called Else Elsebeth.
Speaker 3: I just saw your story about this and was like, you haven't heard of it. I no, I've heard of it.
Speaker 1: You have what have you heard? So what are you hear randomly heard of it? Who's in it?
Speaker 2: Carrie Preston, Yes, yes, yes so, but it's the people. So it's it seems like it's this married couple Michelle and something King and they run us.
Speaker 3: They basically run CBS hold on.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, they are the people that run evil the show that me and Jeredy.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, not only are they evil, they're the good fight and they're the good wife. Mm, that's a good run. Like, yeah, it's incredible. But anyways, so Elsbeth. It's crime but fun. You know, it's like only murders where it's like you're not actually scared, like it's and you see who does it in the first moment. And then she's not a cop. She comes in from Chicago to New York, and she's so happy to be in New York. She's like so pumped, but she's annoying and her thing is she's been sent by the Department of Justice to watch the police because they've been misbehaving. But she is just really good at solving the crimes and she solves them. But the guest actresses, I'm saying Krakowski with jam Jane Kurkowski, Retta, one of the guys from Modern Family. I'm just saying, the guest stars are great too. Wow, And so I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, it sounds right in my wheelhouse. She is also an SVU alum Carrie Preston. I love her. She's from Claws on other Kara show. She's also married to Michael Emerson, who was an SVU alum and who is a.
Speaker 3: Star of Evil.
Speaker 1: So a lot of people running the running the CBS world there.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: That's so it's so wild to be that there is a show on CBS that I even like, and that now you're proposing that there's a second one, you know that I could like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like a gray Airplane show. It was a detective but it's a little like kooky, it's silly, it's but there was that. Oh, Blair Underwood is in an episode, so a lot of view alums.
Speaker 3: And man escape the Sview alums. Yeah, my god.
Speaker 2: And one of the episode, oh my god, you're gonna lose your mind. So one of the episodes was about a Real Housewives franchise and there's like a murder within the franchise.
Speaker 3: Ah, and like what are they gonna do? And then I wrote it down In the.
Speaker 2: Episode two from Sex and the City, Nina Cats and Susan Sharon are in the Real Housewives episode of Elsbeth.
Speaker 3: That's a lot. Is Nina Cats in an SVU. We have to check. She's so love Nina Cats. I love that actor. That's crazy. Well I got to give it a shot.
Speaker 1: That's really fun. I also heard that I've been hearing a lot of stuff. This is our fall TV round up, by the way, very informal, very impromptu, but this is what we're doing English Teacher with Brian Jordan Alvarez on Hulu.
Speaker 3: People are saying, is really great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm excited. I'm excited to watch check it out. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm excited too. For me, I can't wait to watch the Real Moms of Mormon TikTok.
Speaker 3: I know about a show watching.
Speaker 2: I watched Himp Crazy and I started it again and like, and then we're gonna get three housewives And I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm just excited. Like we're in fall. Yeah, we're at TV's back.
Speaker 1: So I'm back on. I finally finished season three of Only Murders in the Building. I'm two episodes into the new season, so I'm getting caught.
Speaker 3: Up on my Only Murders in the Building. They lost me, they lost they lost you.
Speaker 2: I only watched a couple of season three, and they lost me.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm into it, even though I this might be controversial. I really find Selena Gomez's performance to be not good, but I really like love the show and I love their chemistry that they all three have with each other.
Speaker 3: It's just like it's a lot to hear her just do.
Speaker 1: That monotone all the time. She like barely ever emotes, and it's tough. Like I get that that's like the character choice, but it's tough to listen to all the time. But I'm a big Selena fan. Don't come at me sellinators or whatever, and I'm into the show. I'm trying to get through that and then I want to start this other ship. But I was going to resist Secret Lives of Mormon Wives, and now it's just would resists it because I you know, I try to just say housewives, you know me, I'm constantly like, uh okay, yeah, sure I'll watch that one.
Speaker 3: I'll watch that.
Speaker 1: I haven't watched him Crazy yet, like I don't have time. So I was going to try to resist it. But now it's like it's in the zeitgeist everyone.
Speaker 2: So people are saying there's a villain, like a new reality TV villain has emerged. Is the talk on the town, Like it's like a level of evil we've never seen. Oh, well, because it is the woman that went on TikTok and did like a TikTok dance while her baby's in the incubator had RSV. So that's clearly a mental patient in the worst way possible. I'm saying that if you're confused. But yeah, so that's who we're watching, and so I am. I'm excited to see the depths of hell.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 1: But someone was telling me she's not even the worst one, that there's.
Speaker 3: So many really, oh, there's an eviler.
Speaker 1: Somebody was like, oh, there's a there's a there's a really good character or something. And I go, oh, is it the crazy lady that did a dance in front of an incubator? And they were like, or in front of a respirator whatever it was, And they were like, no, she's actually got a bad life. But also the it's another person that's the hot one. But we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 3: I can't wait. I'm gonna watch.
Speaker 1: We did take Rosie to see Beetlejuice Beetlejuice, and and.
Speaker 3: She was very young.
Speaker 1: In the theater, there were other children, but I think I had the youngest child.
Speaker 3: Some people were texting me being like, how was it? Should I send my kid? I go, I don't know. I have a very specific kid. She's a very into spooky shit. She liked it, but it is grosser than the first one.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of gross stuff and like scary stuff or whatever, but not anything that was like, oh my god, what a mistake. The mistake I thought was that they showed this preview for a halle Berry movie about her two sons and her living in the woods after the apocalypse basically, and there are these creatures that are like live out in the woods.
Speaker 3: And I had to fully like ear muff and blind.
Speaker 1: And Rosie to that one because she was like ah, And I was like, yeah, you should not be watching this preview, like this is bad. So I but then once you know, I think they figured it out. Who's bringing people to the beetleje Who's bring a five year old to beetle Juice?
Speaker 3: I am, I am. You guys can't play those previews, but.
Speaker 1: The movie itself, she goes, I go, do you think I should tell other people who have kids to go to Beetlejuice Juice? She goes, well, if they have both their parents with them, because she felt okay because she had both of us with her. I sent Oscar off to a playdate with his old babysitter who he's obsessed with, and she's obsessed with him, and so I was like, he's this is too much for him. But we had a good time. We had a good time, but there were definitely a couple of parts where I just had to keep going. I had to go it's it's not real.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not real. This isn't real. Don't worry. And she was like okay, So it was fine. What are her preferred snacks?
Speaker 1: She likes Eminem's regular Eminem's and candy corn. I mean not candy corn, popcorn. Why did I say candy corn?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's yours on the brain. I definite only want to do candy corn nail this year.
Speaker 3: Ooh that's a fun idea. Yeah, that's really excited.
Speaker 1: We just went and got a blow up pumpkin guy with a mohawk to be on our front lawn. We like add one thing to our Halloween like decoration collection every year, and this was this year's was a constantly being blown up pumpkin man like. It kind of looks like David has pumpkins with a pumpkin head and a green mohawk.
Speaker 3: I'll send you a picture. I think they want to put him up like right now.
Speaker 1: And it's been one hundred and seven degrees in La every day the last five days.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I think pumpkin Man will melt, so we have to wait.
Speaker 2: But like in my classic summer trend, we uh well, me and some people went to Chicago picked a hotel with a pool on purpose seventy degrees. I mean, it's like every time I want to. I got in there, but I shivered. I was shivering, but I forced myself in. But I'll get the I'll get the pool of my dreams.
Speaker 3: This week, Oh, huge news. I did go to a Bears game. I saw that you were okay. It was so good.
Speaker 2: It was so electric. It was an electric game. I mean, I lost my mind. I think my personality is going to change this season.
Speaker 3: It was so fun.
Speaker 2: And so Jared Freed's brother is a coach on the Bears.
Speaker 3: He's like the main and I knew it.
Speaker 2: I just didn't know that he's like the main guy in the headset, like he's in the booth. He's the coach of research and analysis. He's with them and like, and then his wife is a sportscaster for Chicago NBC. And then we went to a bar after and then all the Chicago sports girls after they finished reporting, all came there. So we met like the Fox girl, the National Guard, like the sideline. My god, So it's really they're you know, they were asking such in depth questions.
Speaker 3: It was like really fun to listen.
Speaker 2: I also liked seeing brothers in action, like how they're tonally similar and inflections.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was fun.
Speaker 2: But in terms of the game, like the best seats we were in friends and family seats and so like these seats are at least a thousand dollars, I mean, such good seats. The game Simone Biles has been scored, but we were like losing by a lot and then it was just a fucking comeback and the defensive team is like out of this world.
Speaker 3: It was really exciting. Wow, and wait, don't say the big thing happened.
Speaker 2: Also, it was also the home opener, so it's the season opener, the home opener. The weather's nice were in Chicago. I mean I couldn't have asked, I guess instead of the tight ends. All I could ask for is if it was the Chiefs, but like, I don't even know if they play, I don't know if they're in the same division or you know, I don't know that stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that. Oh. I was on the jumbo tron.
Speaker 2: So I've had this vintage Bart Simpson Bears sweatshirt for years. I've never worn it, and it was the time to bust it out, and I got on the JumboTron and it was thrilling.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: The best was I was with someone who got a clear bag. Like they got in trouble for bringing a big bag, so they had to buy a clear Bears bag and they put all their stuff in it. I don't know why they brought all this to a game, but the first time we were on the JumboTron, she was like put like pumping up her Bear's bag. The Matthew Perry book was in the bag facing the camera, so like in the clear bag, you just see this like sad book in the thing. But my sweatshirt was such a hit. The camera man came back and said, get your sweatshirt back out. We'll get you back on the tron. And so we got and that's when we knew to tape ourselves because he came back like my sweatshirt, like that's all I wanted. And then I got one compliment on the street and I'm like, that is all I wanted. But we got to go underneath the arena, see all the player's cars, see all the family and friends waiting, like you know, and it makes me I've never been underneath an arena, so it makes me feel like, you know, this is what Taylor Swift does. Beyonce is walking around there like that's where they do their concerts. So it was really I was jumping, high fiving. It was like an incredible game, exciting close how fine. Yeah, it was really really fun and I hope the Bear continue to succeed now that I have an inside stake in all of this, you know what I mean? Watching it with people that are related and married to a coach is different for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the people you're sitting with friends and family as well, so you're all.
Speaker 3: Connected, so the intensity is fun. Yeah, that's not for chatting. That's forna.
Speaker 2: We were chatting, now, that's not it at all. No, people were having fun, I think.
Speaker 1: Okay, because that's all I do at professional sports events, and I don't know if I'm invited into the friends and family because of that.
Speaker 2: Oh if you just sat and tried to have a full conversation without watching the game, like, but I don't. I wouldn't want that, so I don't know who you would be talking to. It's just so exciting. But it was not strict. No one's in silence. Everyone's jumping, high fiving, screaming. Oh, like, you know, it's that's fun. Yeah, it's really that's fun.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you got to do that because football is already know with me.
Speaker 2: Oh, I also, and you know, I am a Chicago White Sox fan, but I you know, culturally it's you know, it's like being a jew, Like I'm not religious. They are in the running right now to be the worst team in history.
Speaker 3: They have lost one hundred and ten games. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So maybe I'll be able to throw the first pitch next year since no one else will want to, like I don't. I Yeah, So that was devastating, devastating Chicago news.
Speaker 1: But that is really good silver lining though, Like if they suck enough, they'll be like okay. Local comedian Lea's a trigger hometown hero.
Speaker 2: And at the hotel I was staying at. You're going to be obsessed. There was a pistachio ravioli. Ooh, was one of the best things I've ever had, and I kept going back for more.
Speaker 3: It was so good. That sounds so good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The bartender went, what our chef does with pistachio is incredible.
Speaker 3: I go that you're an allion. I want to see that because I got a pistachio. More to Della breakfast sandwich too. Ooh no, is that it really? Yeah? Nice? Hotel?
Speaker 1: Cool?
Speaker 3: Or I mean yeah, I just can't believe in my life so many.
Speaker 2: Activities, activities, activities, activities, So I love that amazing. Should we get into this, should we get into the whoors of our episode?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's get into it really quick.
Speaker 1: We are on tour in October, guys, so come and get your tickets. If you live in La San Francisco, Denver, Phoenix, San Diego, Portland, we are coming.
Speaker 3: To you new show new. Uh, you're not going to see the same episode again. We got new.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have all kinds of new shit going on, So come by tickets.
Speaker 3: That's messed up.
Speaker 1: Live dot Com has all the ticket links for that. It also let's mess up live dot com also has our like shop links or whatever. If you want to shop any of our promos that we talk about, you know, go ahead, get in there and get those promo codes.
Speaker 3: They're all up there. And that's it. Yeah, let's get started.
Speaker 1: Okay, we are taking it back to the episode Monogamy, Season three, episode eleven. That is what's so cool about SVU and this podcast, Like we've been doing it so long, we're almost at two hundred episodes, and we still get hits, classics, legendary.
Speaker 3: I like episodes like this. I was just gonna say, I don't want to say.
Speaker 1: Favorite, like that seems like a weird like my favorite, but it's one of my This one is stuck with me for like I always think about this episode.
Speaker 3: And a huge announcement.
Speaker 2: I did get a tv and this is the first episode of SVU because even the TVU gave me an la was amazing but small, Yes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It was a small screen. It's like a sockbroker screen. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got like a forty three inch too, which is still small, but for New York it's like giants.
Speaker 3: Most of my little room.
Speaker 2: But watching SV on the big screen, it never felt better to see John Ritter's big face.
Speaker 3: Sorry spoiler alert, but a spoiler should I not say that? I don't know, but no, it's fine.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you got to watch it on in gorgeous four K.
Speaker 2: And I got like a swivel mount, so I got to sit at my desk, work on the crime and just watch it on the big screen. And so this is my first s you know, podcast step with like my own big love with you.
Speaker 1: Going, Lisa's going off laptop everyone. So this episode starts so fucking classic, a classic couple with New Jersey accents fighting, and the writers are absolutely making fun of bridge and tunnel people here. It's like Tony and Carmela light like he's being a cheap skate. He's like, he's like, she goes, it's want money to pock an suv and.
Speaker 3: He's like, but it's twenty five bucks.
Speaker 1: That's an entire dinner in Fort Lee, like including pocking. Like and he's like, now there's gonna be traffic on the GWB and it's like, lady, break up with this guy, but also lol. At the two thousand and two pricing like forty five bucks to park your HUGSUV in New York.
Speaker 2: Well that's the big king on Instagram now is like you know, it's like gold digger fifty to fifty? What do you bring to the table? Like that energy is on the internet. But the good point I saw I was like, it's not about rich or not. It's like, are you generous and thoughtful? Like you can be with a rich person who's cheap as fuck and controlling and it doesn't matter that he's rich, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, like this guy was like, you're the one that wanted to come into the city for like what for a culture? Like he doesn't like it, and she's like, shut the fuck up, like you're all pissed about parking it's forty five bucks, And the woman's like, Kevin, the door is all wet. And then he grabs the tip money, speaking of not generous and nice to service people, grabs the tip money back from the garage attendant and goes, what did you get in my car? And then meanwhile the girl comes around from the other side and when her hands get into the light of the headlights, done done. They're covered in blood. So a good opening. We get to now the cops have set up a perimeter. Stabler speeds up. Benson says that was quick from Queen's and Stabler goes, I stayed in the city tonight. And I'm like, I don't think Stabler has a Manhattan crash pad, Like, what's going on? That's like a weird I've never heard of him really staying over in the city, Like with who does he have a brother that lives there?
Speaker 3: Like, what's going on?
Speaker 1: We find out about his brothers later in the OC, but I don't know that they live in Manhattan. Benson and Stabler get a download of the situation from a UNI who's like, we found her on the second level.
Speaker 3: She was naked from the waist down. Her name is Nicole Manning.
Speaker 1: No robbery, uh cash sixty dollars cash in her wallet. She's alive, but it's a real mess. She was bashed in the head. Benson's like, I'll ride with the victim, obviously. The UNI keeps talking to Stabler, says the blood at the scene indicated that she was attacked minutes before she was found, and Stabler goes, how many stab wounds? And the UNI pauses and looks at Stabler and goes, she wasn't stab Detective. And in the ambulance, the EMTs are trying to keep Nicole alive. Benson asks did you get a look at the guy? And then Nicole starts seizing and I look up one of the EMTs because I thought I knew him. He kind of had like an E vibe from Entourage. Who By the way, I went into a gay bar recently that was completely empty in the middle of the day and E was standing the and then he and then this other weird guy was there and he leaves and he goes, did you just see him leave?
Speaker 3: And I go who? And he was like that was E from Entourage and I go cool.
Speaker 1: He's like I wanted to buy him a drink and I was like, okay, well you were being weird and so he.
Speaker 3: Left, like anyway, it was a fun little la moment.
Speaker 2: So, oh, I love this guy. I didn't watch Entourage Eric Murphy, I don't know. Yeah, I like him. He was it's not him, Yeah, Oh, it wasn't him.
Speaker 3: It's not him.
Speaker 1: He was just giving me that vibe of Eric. And so I look him up and I'm like, who is this guy? That guy's not no, but he was in the bar.
Speaker 3: Yes, he was in the bar. I like him from he's just not.
Speaker 1: That into you, ah right, right right, And he's like a sweet guy in that one.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, he's pretty.
Speaker 1: I would say he's a pretty decent character for Entourage, you know. But so I look up both EMTs because first I look up the guy I think I know, and he's nobody. And then the other one is named Derek Kelly. He's been an EMT in a bunch of episodes, and guess he's Molly Price aka Susan Sharon, who has been on an SVU as the abusive parole officer imparole Violations. I was like, this is crazy, Like I delete IMDb connections.
Speaker 3: It's my favorite. Holy shit. Yeah, she's married to this guy, Derreck Kelly.
Speaker 1: So anyway, the EMTs explained that she has massive abdominal trauma and it looks like an emergency C section.
Speaker 3: Live is like she was pregnant.
Speaker 1: She's shocked, and then Nicole codes and it's like, what's going to happen? Back to Stabler asking is there any side of the baby? And the UNI goes the sick SOB must have taken it with him, So here we go credits. That's a wild opening. A woman in a parking garage. There's blood all over this random Jersey couples SVSUV and then I almost said us for you, And then a baby has been ripped out of woman's body. At the hospital, the doctor's filling in Benson that the cut was made with a dull or serrated blade. Ooh, head trauma contusions around the abdomen, like she was kicked.
Speaker 3: Rape kid is positive for fluids. It's not looking good.
Speaker 1: She developed an amniotic embolism, like clots in her lungs caught off oxygen to the brain. He explains to her that the baby could actually be alive, like she was twenty eight weeks so long, which is, you know, seven months, so no apparent complications.
Speaker 3: Normal. Wait, it's possible the baby's alive, but not for long.
Speaker 1: So now Stabler is talking to the parking attendant and he's like, yeah, she was by herself. I didn't think to go with her because this is a safe neighborhood. Missus Manning's a monthly customer, so she always gets her own car. I would have checked if I heard a scream or anything like that, but there is another exit entrance like on the other side.
Speaker 3: So now Craigan is with.
Speaker 1: At the hospital with live they spot the husband of the victim and Lisa already told us it is John Ritter, a huge star, a treasure I am, like, I really really love him. He was the star of Three's Company Eight Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter. He died at fifty four years old of a heart attack in two thousand and three, like really really and like I was okay. So in two thousand and four, I was watched Wait No, when did I start at the Page program? Two thousand and five. I was a page in two thousand and five, and I had a cube in my desk when I worked at the USA Network, and I watched The Cosby Show and ate Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter all day long while I did my work, and I watched the episode where his character dies of eight Simple Rules. He's married to Katie sagal can'ty Quoco was one of his daughters, and I cried so hard. Anyway, He's the father of Jason Ritter, who is in the episode Dominance, another SVU alum, and he's married to Melanielinsky. And then he's also the father of Tyler Ritter, who was in a Carvana commercial with me, so equally distinguished careers the Two Riders.
Speaker 2: By the way, yesterday I got a text from our friend from Atlanta and he sent me the photo of you from Kravana.
Speaker 3: Wait, text it to me. I'll put it on the Instagram for the for the listeners. Yeah, he reins.
Speaker 1: In the commercial they were cut and so instead it's just a lot of focusing on my facial expressions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wrote, I'd like to bring this back please. I'm like, honey, don't I know it? Well, I just try saving it, and it said do you want to save a duplicate? So I already saved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will post it the day this episode comes out in the mention at all section of our Instagram stories highlights. Anyway, I just like fucking love John Ritter huge, like up, Phil Hartman, John Ritter, Chris Farley.
Speaker 3: All these people that we just lost to way.
Speaker 1: Too young, and I love him anyway lives like, well, we can't rule out this dude, because whoever did this was personal. So now John Ritter is in a dark room giving them info and they his name is Richard. In this episode, Richard was supposed to meet his wife Nicole for dinner at seven, and she's usually lates. He didn't think much of it when she wasn't there yet. Before that, he was in a session with a patient. He's a psychiatrist with a practice. Add Down lives like there's no easy way to ask this, were you intimate with your wife in the past twenty four hours? And he's like, no, why, and lives like, well, she may have been assaulted. And he asks, and they ask him for a blood sample, which she agrees to without question, like anything you need. Craigan says, what did you do when she didn't show up? And he goes, I tried calling her a couple of times, and then after an hour I went home. How long would you wait for somebody at dinner if they were not showing up, not answering text not answering calls, How long would you wait?
Speaker 3: Well, it's not even about waiting. I would already be flipping out.
Speaker 2: I'd be texting other people, I'd be calling like, I would be searching. I'd probably go to someone's you know what I mean, Like I would be panicking immediately.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like they just did.
Speaker 1: Not that it's the same thing, but they just did an episode of Dubai, which I know you're not watching. Real House was a Dubai but like one girl just doesn't show up for the flight to Dubai and she's not answering her phone, and no one's like no one, I mean not the flight to Dubai, the flight to Bali or some shit, and like they just they're like, where is she?
Speaker 3: No one could reach her.
Speaker 1: She's not answering text, she's not answering calls, and they're all they're like kind of freaking out, but they're still taping a reality show. She does eventually show up, but you know, and she was just kind of doing it for attention, I think.
Speaker 3: But I yeah, I was like I was like, I wonder how long.
Speaker 2: But I could also see myself pulling out Julia Louis Dreyfus and like still ordering something.
Speaker 3: To go, like the djub's fruits or whatever.
Speaker 2: But no, I would already start messaging, figuring stuff out, calling hospitals. Yeah, like I would be pretty flipped, but I don't know how long I would sit and Wai. I'd probably eat by myself, Like I wouldn't mind eating by myself, you know, right, right right, I'm not gonna cook dinner instead, So sure, yeah, I just went home and fired up the skillet.
Speaker 3: No, no, of course, like I might still just order. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, he says he went home and they're like, do you know anyone who would want to hurt her? And he's like, no, Nicole was a good person. He talked about her in past tense. She's not dead.
Speaker 3: Then he catches.
Speaker 1: Himself and goes, she is a good person. I mean, the doctors say there's still a chance she'll recover. Benson and Craigan share a look. I think that's like a full red flag, Like if somebody's like, oh my god, I loved him. He was so great, it's like, bitch, he's not dead yet, you know. So back at the garage, a Uni is telling Munch that there are tons of prints on the car. We just got to rule out victim, friends and family, every valet in the city.
Speaker 3: Like this is not looking great.
Speaker 1: But the car is also for sale, which means she might have been having people test drive it. So Finn wants to know if there are any sides of the baby. No placenta, no cord, there's nothing. The purp also cleaned up before he left, using antibacterial hand webs, which means he planned ahead, like.
Speaker 3: He knew he was going to do this.
Speaker 1: Maybe the baby was the reason for the attack, like he didn't want her debt, he wanted her to suffer. Back at the precinct, Benson and Sabler are giving in photo deity Kragan and the credit card receipt confirms that he was at the restaurant having a drink. Sell a phone confirms that he made these calls checking on where she was. The rape kit rules them out because it's a different blood type, but they got one set of prints off the car and it was Kyle Novacheck, and he's not a complete lunatic, but he did do time for assault three and heroin possession, they say, And Finn's like, yeah, you don't really see that kind of violence with heroin users unless someone gives him a hot shot and then PCP. I'm like, yeah, that doesn't sound like the kind of person who's also going to be cleaning it up with antibacterial wipes. But okay, but wow, the writers and directors of Workaholics is Kyle knuacheck, Oh, if.
Speaker 3: You like that, I'm not alcoholics curly.
Speaker 1: But yeah, turns out Nicole is an RN at a meth clinic, so they're like that can't be a coincidence. And then just then Maureen's stabler shows up and she looks kind of pissed and needs to talk to her dad. Craigan's like, you can use my office. Benson goes, okay, well I'm going to hit the clinic. So far, there's no sign of the baby, and it's been about twenty seconds, so obviously Stabler and Marine are already done with their conversation and coming out, and Liv is trying to small talk Marine and she's giving very short answers, and then Stabler's like, you're going to be late, and he's like, please leave so I can fight crime and forget that I'm a dad. And then Liv asks is everything okay? And Stabler goes yeah and just moves on. So he obviously doesn't want to talk about its food.
Speaker 2: Stabler Private Stabler the most annoying, like just tell your partner, what's that's the thing, when like, I obviously I saw this online.
Speaker 3: Where else would I see things?
Speaker 2: But how men think they don't have emotions or like they deal like, oh, we don't talk about you know, we don't bother other people's our emotions, Like we we suffer in silence, That's what it was like. Yeah, men always say like how they suffer in silence, and it's like, well, why don't you ask the people around you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How silent you're suffering is because I'm sure it's coming out in other psychotic ways. Yeah, like are you I don't know, slamming the door?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, these little things, So it's stabler. It's like you're if you truly were able, like no one could see that you're struggling, that's fine, but you were bothering everybody.
Speaker 3: You're annoying? Yes, get it?
Speaker 2: Tell us what Maureen said? Is she getting an abortion? What is happening? Was like I couldn't even remember this episode, was like what did you do?
Speaker 3: What? I still don't know? And I watched it, like I just watched it. Well, I'll tell you it's not that, it's not that important. I'll get to it.
Speaker 1: At a construction site, Munch and Finn are talking to Kyle Novachek and it's the one and only Bobby count of All. I mean, I you know him from A Million Things married married to Rose Byrne. I would say Funky Tasting Spunk is, oh yeah, highlight. Okay, Tasting Spunk is for sure a highlight. He was also just in that show Homecoming that I watched on Amazon with Julia Roberts.
Speaker 3: He's very freaky in that.
Speaker 2: I really liked him in Blue Jazz Main Oh yeah, I mean his credits.
Speaker 1: Oh ah wait how many episodes too? Okay, I'm like I don't remember him, which is crazy because he's so hot. I just yeah, I've been into him for a while, but I bet it's just because of Funky Tasting Spunk.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, shah we dance.
Speaker 1: I even feel like when I saw him in Funky Tasting Spunk, I was like, I've seen that guy before, Like I don't know his name, but I've seen him before, you know. And then I actually I'm up saying I loved I saw him interviewed live on my friend's show at Joe's Pub once, and he seems like a great guy, but he is like, what's with you?
Speaker 3: You cops? This is the third time this year. I always on your list and they're like, oh, Boardwalk Empire and that's jacky oh.
Speaker 1: But in Nurse Jackie, he's on just like a season. He's got an all out, but he's not Yeah yeah, okay. He says he's clean, he's working stead, he's out of that life. They want to know where were you the other night? He goes, I was at work till six. Then I take a class at Brooklyn College at night and it starts at seven and Munch goes a man of intellect and he's being rude for sure, and they're like, what about your car? He goes, I don't have a car. My car died last week. It's like hilarious, Like no one in New York I feel like has a car. And they're like, tell us about your car? And they ask you see have you seen a gold car that was on sale a couple a couple of blocks away. He goes, yeah, he went and took it for a test drive. Whired something happened to that lady or whatever? He asks, how is your program going? Sometimes they don't give you a up methodone. They're bullying him. Do you even remember where.
Speaker 3: You were last night? Or were you two loaded?
Speaker 1: He's like, I saw the car once I haven't been back. Vinn grabs him and goes, where's the baby. Kyle's confused. He's like, you're telling me somebody hurt that baby. They go take a DNA test and we'll leave you alone, and he goes, I don't have to do that, and Finn goes, you sound guilty, but Kyle's like, no, I just know how you guys operate. If you had anything on my ass, i'd be in the back of your car already. And then they know he's right, so they leave and they're like, we'll see you again. So now we're at the method oone clinic and a supervisor is telling Benson and Stabler, you know I can't give out client names. If I did that to the if I gave out client names to the police, no one would ever come into this clinic. And Stabler's like, well, you want to see you know. He tries that whole tactic of like you want to see videos of you want to see photos of this woman with her stomach cut open, and Olivia is pleading, like please, this baby could be alive. We're running out of time. She's like, I cannot help you. She says clients can be troublesome but not overtly violent. Someone they have been having problems with is another nurse named Aaron Senna. Nicole discovered she'd been diverting meth for herself, so she was arrested and she lost her job.
Speaker 3: And her nursing license. So knock, knock, knock.
Speaker 1: They're at Aaron's place, and she and her place are a hot mess. You know, there's takeout containers everywhere. And this actress is named Mary Anne Hagen and she plays the mother of the girl who goes missing and pure, you know, she's like making her daughter's like yeah dress, and he's like, I've got your daughter and she's sweet or whatever. Martin short, that's the mom who's making the dress. So she's the one that's like, help me find my daughter. So anyway, a fun little connect. Aaron is smoking a sig flirting with Stabler, being like your friend can watch, And then they sit her down and they ask her about Nicole, and Stabler suggests, like, where's your boyfriend? Maybe your boyfriend did this, he went nuts and killed Nicole, and she keeps being like, I don't have a boyfriend. Benson wanders into a room and she wants. She's like, I want you guys to leave, and then it's clearly a kid's room. They're like, do you have a kid? She's like, I have a sum. They took them away from me, the social services and the cops, and she's like itching her arms like she definitely is high. She's on drugs. And they're like, so this woman took everything from you and now she's having her own baby. And Aaron's like, get out, and Stabler's like, if you're still using, and I can tell that you are, they're not going to give their baby back to it. They're not going to give your kid back to a junkie, you know, like let us like this baby needs to be in the hospital.
Speaker 3: Tell us what happened to the baby, will help you.
Speaker 1: And Aaron's lading her second cigarette of the minute, and she's like, you can't help me. Nicole pissed off the wrong person, and look at what happened to her, and she says she doesn't know who Nicole pissed off, but lives like I think you do, and she goes, all I know is Nicole got asked for it and got what she deserved. I had nothing to do with it. Now get out, Okay, they just do. Benson and Sabler are leaving in the hallway. They're like, someone scared Aaron to shut her up. Stabler gots a call on his massive flip phone and they're off in an alley. Craigan is there telling the you needs to take an unhoused man to a shelter and get him some food. I'm getting an ominous feeling that we're gonna find something we don't like here in this alley. Whenever an unhoused person just wanders upon something, it's not like it's usually, Oh, it's a diamond necklace that we needed, Craigan said, this guy reported it but didn't see anybody around the dumpster. Melinda comes up some stuff holding a tiny body wrapped in a white sheet. Live is like, are we positive it's Nicole's? And Melinda goes, it's the right size and deep decomp fits the time frame and you got to give it to Tim Ratuni like Melinda's like pretty stone faced. She's like, right time frames fits the de comp anyway, and then she goes sorry, detectives, and then Stable goes, what was it? Because gender is so important to him? And Melinda goes, it was a little boy. Worse worse for Stabler that had it, you know whatever. I guess he's got daughters too. At the hospital, Richard is buying Nicole's bedside. She's on a ventilator, she's bandaged up, she's not looking great. She's gotten all the way around the head bandage. Alisa fave. But I would say not in this situation because she's not alive, or she's not she's alive, but she's not, you know, with it.
Speaker 2: Not cute, it's just silly. It's not like your head. Yeah, oh are you gonna make it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, She's hanging on for dear life. He's sad and he's like, what do I do? Do I have to get a birth certificate first or what?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Lives like you chill for right now? We still have to investigate. And he's like, I just want to take care of things before Nicole wakes up. And then they float Aaron's name to him, like you know anything about this sketch ball Aaron that she worked with, and he goes, oh, yeah, she tried to get Nicole to testify on her behalfits I'm hearing the state was trying to take away her son, Like, why would the woman who reported you for diverting meth testify for you and your child and your custody hearing anyway, she screamed at our answering machine a few times. He said, I wanted to call the cops, but Nicole.
Speaker 3: Said it wasn't necessary.
Speaker 1: They asked, how's Nicole doing, and he says, well, the doctors gave her a hysterectomy. How do I tell her that we'll never have a family, which is very small minded. There are a lot of ways to become a family, although it is sad that she if that was her wish, that she cannot have biological children. Now we're at Melinda's house and she's walking them through the skull fractures on the baby's X rays. Like, oh, Like cause of death was a subdiral hematoma caused by multiple blows.
Speaker 3: To the head.
Speaker 1: Jesus, Like, I just think there's probably more humane ways to do that. But okay, she said, whoever did this did not want this baby to live. Thinn's Like could the beating have been from Nicole getting kicked in the abdomen? Like?
Speaker 3: Could have it had happened in uterol?
Speaker 1: She says, there's kind of no way to tell if the injuries happened in her ex utero, but once the fetus was aborted, there was no attempt made to save it. She's still trying to determine how long it lived. Munch says, if there's a god, not long. So Now in the squad room, Craigan says, well, Kyle's alibi cleared him, So Aaron is our only suspect. We've got to find the man who helped her because they're yeah, they're just kind of like, there's no way this was a woman, even though I think we've seen women commit horrible crimes like this. And Stabler says, maybe they can get aerin on a probation violation. She was clearly high when we spoke to her, so let's get her in here for a drug test. You know, she's a client at her old Methodonne clinic, they say, And I'm like, wouldn't you find another one? Like when you be like this is a little too close to home, I'm not going to come to this one.
Speaker 2: You know, I love being a regular, So I get it. Yeah, I get wanting to pat.
Speaker 1: You're like the freebies, Yeah, yeah, yeah, totally Finn says, that's an appointment a heroin addicts always got to keep.
Speaker 3: So if she's gonna get like, let's wait for her at them. That's the Nome clinic.
Speaker 1: So Benson and Stable are staked out in the car in front of the clinic. And this is usually when we get these some personal combo between the two of them.
Speaker 3: You know, they spend.
Speaker 1: Hours together in a fucking car and lives like, oh, maybe we missed her, and stablers like, nah, she's coming, you want to leave? Go ahead, like he's being a dick, and Benson goes, or you could just stop being a jerk and tell me what the hell's going on with you? And she's and he scowls, and she goes, is this about Maureen? And he admits that he fucked up and he didn't send in a check for the Columbia application, which is weird because the application and the check just go together. But what, you know, whatever, like he did something fucked up and lives like, well, is it too late?
Speaker 3: And he goes, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's like, are you even trying, like pick up the phone and make a phone call, like I know we're looking for this dead baby, but this feels like something you could take care of for your daughter in ten minutes. Call the admissions office, give him a credit number over the phone, you weirdo, Like such a.
Speaker 3: Not big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean if it means she doesn't get to go.
Speaker 2: Attitude, you can fuck it. He's a cop, he could pull.
Speaker 1: Some strings in New York City, I know, I know, and go, oh yeah, lives like cut the shit.
Speaker 3: What is this? Like why are you acting like this?
Speaker 1: And he's like, I've been distracted, And then Aaron shows up, So we don't get to any more deep you know, we don't get to any more psychology of what's going on with asshole Stabler in this episode. So Aaron shows up, they grab her. Okay, she obviously tests positive.
Speaker 3: For mather heroin or whatever she's on.
Speaker 1: She's like, arrest me and they're like they're just like fucking with her. They're like, yeah, well we got twenty four hours or forty eight hours to do that, and like, you know, she's obviously jonesing and has it needs like methadone or her fix or whatever. So they asked what happened to her face? She has a huge shier and she goes I got hit, so she asked for a soda and they say, just tell us what you've been hiding, and she's like, no way.
Speaker 3: They're like, you're perfect for this.
Speaker 1: You're a trained nurse with a grudge against Nicole, like you could easily perform this operation. And Aaron maintains I had nothing to do with this, and then she goes she has everything, and she comes after me and then they start badgering her more.
Speaker 3: Who are you hiding from? Who are you hiding from?
Speaker 1: She finally says Kyle, and then they go Kyle novachk is your boyfriend, and she goes hers Nicole's boyfriend.
Speaker 3: Done. Done. So this is a good twist, much Finn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Munch and Finn show up because, you know, whatever the show is all about stereotypes, like this woman is married to a psychiatrist. She's parking a monthly customer in a garage that's not cheap. You know, you can make a little connect the dots. You don't necessarily think that this woman's having an affair with a construction worker who has a record, you know, but she was.
Speaker 3: So Finn and Munch show up to Kyle's apartment.
Speaker 1: They're like, we're taking you in for a DNA test to prove you raped her, and he goes, it's gonna be positive. Nicole and I made love that afternoon, and then they accuse him of killing the baby, and he says it was mine.
Speaker 3: Would I do that to my own child? It's like, I don't know you.
Speaker 1: You don't watch the show. A lot of people do this to their own child. They do a lot of fucked up stuff to their own child. So yes, many men do do that. So now it's a walk and talk with the whole gang. Finn is wildly in a very long tan blazer that he has buttoned up. This is like before he adopted like the leather jacket aesthetic that we know him for today. It's like he's not quite in his steampunk from season two, but season three he's still in some weird ass outfits. Stabler's like, it's possible Kyle killed the baby because Nicole wouldn't leave her husband, and then Munch is like, yeah, or the husband could have done it. And Kyle told them he thought Richard was catching on to the affair, so they're like, oh, interesting, he didn't mention that to us, so either he didn't know or he didn't want the cops to.
Speaker 3: Know that he knew.
Speaker 1: Classic Kragan. I love when he does this, ask the wife she just woke up. So I love when we get a miraculous awakening from a coma just in time for information in the hospital talking to Nicole. And She is played by a woman named Trisha Paoluccio, who has been in six episodes of SVU. She was actually in a season one episode, she was in a season three, a season sixteen, and in season twenty five. She's been recurring as doctor Heather Lentz in three different episodes. So maybe we'll see her in season twenty six because she just was in three EPs of twenty five.
Speaker 3: I have something to say.
Speaker 1: They don't look like they would be together, this actress and Jan Ritter and John Ridder.
Speaker 3: Like it doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 2: Like when she's next to Bobby kind of volley, I'm like, oh, yeah, well she's next to him.
Speaker 3: I'm like, how did you even meet?
Speaker 2: It's kind of like the Bob Saggat dork situation where I'm like, what with this dancer?
Speaker 3: I don't dancer? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, But you're like maybe there was a point in her life where she was like, oh, this will be safe. This guy has money, he's nice to me, and then you meet this like hot construction worker and you're like, okay, this is actually much better. But all Nicole remembers is someone hitting her on the back of the head. And then they ask her about Kyle and she's like, well, like the first person and only person maybe in SVU history to go, yeah, you guys probably already know everything. Like, she doesn't lie, she doesn't try to pull one over on the cops. She's like, well, it sounds like you guys pretty much know what's up. And she's like, you know, I've been seeing Kyle for a year and I saw him the afternoon of the attack, which you know, confirms what Kyle said. She says Kyle wanted to get married. She said she would do that, but then things change when you're pregnant. It's about safety for the baby and not what makes you happy. So she also says she told Richard she was leaving him and that the baby wasn't his. So I'm confused about what things she was going to do, because she's kind of telling the cops that she was going to do both things, you know, like, oh, I obviously want to fuck Kyle, but he's not the best dad figure. But then she tells her husband, I'm leaving you, so whatever. She thought he was going to be mad, but when she told him, he was super calm.
Speaker 3: Red flag Oh, bad, bad bad.
Speaker 1: So then Lib says, well, he said he was meeting you at seven did he know you were running late? And she goes, no, I was meeting him at seven thirty, and she sure remembers a lot for a massive head trauma that has it all the way around the back.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because I was gonna say maybe like debating like is Kyle gonna be a good dad ball bloah, But also if you're cheating on someone's like you don't want to be with this guy, like whether he's always in the kid or not or whatever.
Speaker 3: Like right right for him.
Speaker 2: But now he was thinking maybe it could have been head trauma stuff, but she seems on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she remembers exactly when they were supposed to meet.
Speaker 1: She's like, no, I was meeting him at seven thirty, and so that half hour discrepancy is huge. The music swells, people are exchanging looks, done, done, Okay. So now at top of act three, the whole gang plus Cabot plus Wang glorious moment. They're all gathered around the board and Cabot's like, why wasn't the husband a suspect from the jump? And Stablers like because of the evidence, Like he's still being like a little like a little sour puss, and Munch is like, well, he's a shrink, this guy, so he knows how to mess with your head, and Huang ads, Plus he did four years of medical school to be a psychiatrist, like you do go to medical school, and he would have also had a one year meta internship so he would know how to do a crude sea section. There is a receipt of him having a drink at the restaurant bar at six point fifty nine, and the bartender remembers him but didn't see him leave, So they're going to check a cell phone and see where he was when he made the like where are you at?
Speaker 3: Sweetheart? Calls?
Speaker 1: Right, So she got to the garage at seven twenty, So they think that Richard set it up on purpose so that he could set up his alibi and then rush over to attack her at the garage, knowing exactly when she would get to the garage because he knows where she has a monthly parking spot, right, so he's got an hour then to cross the park, attack her, clean up, and head home. And Craigan's like all because his wife was carrying another man's child. And then Huong goes, yeah, he was cuckolded, and it's like, yeah, this guy got so cooked.
Speaker 3: This little cook had to get go murdering people.
Speaker 1: Huang says, it's it's common, like you see it in nature. The females seek out the most desirable males, and most species aren't naturally monogamous. And Munch is like, that explained my entire marital history. I love that, but I'm bum, you know. And then Stabler goes, cut the jokes. We got a dead baby here, and it's like, why don't you cut the shit, Stabler? We need these jokes. If you don't, if you don't laugh a little bit at Svu, all you do is cry.
Speaker 2: But I wants to do how Munch handled it like truly a therapized king, Like yeah, he doesn't take it personal, he doesn't say anything back, he doesn't attack, He just is like in his space.
Speaker 3: It's like like okay, weird.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, he his eyebrows like all right, pissy pissy pants, Like I could almost emunch, going, what is it your time of the month, you know, like it's some kind of old joke like that, And so everyone looks awkward for a second, like, yeah, no one knows what's up Mary's ass right now? And then Huang explains the problem in his mind was the baby, not the wife. Get rid of the baby, Get rid of the problem, Craigan says, start with a warrant for the cell phone company. And this is like always gives me serial vibes, you know, like because like I phones don't have GPS, you can't tell exactly where they were, but it's all towers. So like everything with the ceial case was like where cell phone calls were hanging off towers.
Speaker 3: And I'm it's very fascinating to me.
Speaker 1: So at the elevator before we get to the cell phone company, Live catches up with Stablert. She goes, Hey, we're all on your side, but we can't read minds to know what's going on between that huge ass forehead of yours, So why don't you just tell us, like, you know, if you're not gonna say what's up, there's not much else we can do, okay, bitch, And then he goes up to her and he goes, I know you were on my side and she asks, okay, so what the fuck is up with you? Is there someone else? And he goes, nah nah, Like he's like, if I wish it were that, if it would be almost more simple if it was that, and then he goes it just never goes away.
Speaker 3: Each case is more horrific than the last. I go home, What am I supposed to do? Talk about work? Honey?
Speaker 1: Today a guy caught a baby out of his wife's stomach, passed the gravy please, and lives like, so you just don't talk at all then, and it's like hmm therapy, and Kathy thinks he's shutting her out and he's like, I just can't put all my work stuff on her, and Liv goes, yeah, bitch a shutting her out.
Speaker 3: That's literally your mo.
Speaker 1: You keep this up, and you're going to ruin the best thing you ever had. And she walks away from him and he just sits there looking dumb.
Speaker 3: So I like this.
Speaker 1: I think at this point nobody is standing, no one is shipping them yet. At this point, Liv is only cares about him as a partner. There is no I think sparked between them and he is she is just like, stop being a fucking man. Talk to your wife about your problems. So at the cell phone company, as I was hinting to, they can't this guy doesn't have GPS capabilities on his phone, so they can't pinpoint exactly where he was, but they can narrow it down within a couple of blocks because of the cell phone towers. So they track Richard's calls to Lincoln's Center tower on the west side, which is near where Nicole was attacked. But he said he made the calls from the upper east side at the restaurant. So things are not looking good for old Richard and they say he was most likely changing his clothes. Stabler is We're back at the precinct, and Stabler's like, he belonged to a gym and it was right near there and he signed it at eight o'clock and they're like, yeah, what was covered in blood from like oops, a daisy sea section And then they're like, well, he cleaned up a lot at the scene. But then they said he rolled into the gym in a long coat and a duffel bag, so his bloody clothes would have been like hidden if he was wearing like a long trench or something. But nothing at the gym links to the crime scene. He didn't have a regular locker or anything like that where he could have hid bloody clothes. So he's got these. This guy's thought of everything. How about cab companies, He only had thirty minutes to get home. Huang's like, I don't think he took a cab. This guy's been meticulous and this is one more witness that he doesn't need.
Speaker 3: Finn goes he could have run.
Speaker 1: We clocked it, and liv Goes lives like YouTube bozos ran it, like she cannot imagine that Finn and Munch ran the distance of this, like from the gym to this guy's home, and Munch is like, now, we walked it, but we still had a couple of minutes to spare. So they're like, we need a warrant. He could still have the duffel bag, the murder weapon could be there. Craigan wants Huang to be involved in all of the search and the questioning because he knows how shrinks operate. So time to give up your trade secrets doc at the Manning That would have been a fun one to talk to Bed Wong about talking to John Ritter and doing psychiatrists versus psychiatrists. At the Manning apartment. There is no gym bag, There are no cutting instruments in the whole house besides manicure scissors. But this man is above and beyond organized, Like he has three baskets for like laundry lights, darks, which Lisa and I have established is old and no one needs to do that anymore, and dry cleaning basket as well, and I sort of love it.
Speaker 3: I love how organized he is, Like.
Speaker 1: Benson goes, this is more organized than my wardrobe, and it's like, yeah, this guy is truly Like did you ever read about Mark Summers, the host of Doubledare like famously has OCD and like they did articles about him where like all the hangers in his closet had to be equidistant apart, and like all his shirts are folded like perfect.
Speaker 3: It's reminding me of this guy's closet.
Speaker 1: And then Huong goes, this guy has enough personal hygiene products in the bathroom to open a salon, and Benson goes, well, so do I it doesn't make me a murderer, just a gorgeous, gorgeous woman.
Speaker 3: And uh there.
Speaker 1: Quong's like, I think he has feelings of being unattractive and unmanly, and that his advantage is his intelligence, and he's probably a great shrink.
Speaker 3: He's preoccupied with order.
Speaker 1: He thinks he can control everything and that if he can't control everything, he can be the man that he wants to be.
Speaker 3: But his wife wasn't easy to control.
Speaker 1: And they show her closet, and her closet is not not like horrible of a mess.
Speaker 2: It's just so funny because it's also like as a messy person the me like you could just tell a prop person did it, you know, or like a set designer, because on the hangar, like there's clothes hanging and then there's just like piles of clothes hanging on the hangared clothes and it's like, no, those would be on the floor. Yeah, those wouldn't be because then that how are they staying up there?
Speaker 3: I'm right rolling through and throwing.
Speaker 2: So it was just funny like that they were placed on top of the hanging clothes. So it was just such a fabricated mess to me. But also this again, like they don't seem like they would be together. And I get that he thinks he's ugly, but it's also like he's not restling like a guy that cares about what he looks like. He also doesn't look like he works out, Like I don't know, there's just yeah, these weird cat I don't you know. I'm probably wrong.
Speaker 1: Obviously I'm not doubting, and I'm so happy that we have an episode with him in it.
Speaker 3: I just don't buy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean maybe that's like why they're not working out. I mean, maybe he looked different, maybe he was different. They met when they were in high school. Who fucking knows why people get married to people that they shouldn't, but this lady and him are obviously very different, and so Huang's like, I think this woman threatened to destroy his sense of control.
Speaker 3: So just at that.
Speaker 1: Moment, Richard comes home, obviously very pissed, a control freak walking into his house and the cops are everywhere, ripping shit apart, like not happy. Stabler sees his keys and goes, I'm gonna need those and asks a tech to illumin all them, like right there on the spot, and so under the black light stablers like, see the plastic absorbs the blood and you can't get rid of it, and boom under the light, the keys have invisible blood like all over them. Like so now we're taking you in, buddy, Not that I don't know, blood on your keys.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's like a smoking gun. But let's get to the cement room.
Speaker 1: Bars Manning is sitting there, okay, Richard is sitting there when Benson stable and Huang rolling, they brought you into shrink the shrink, he says to Huang, and Huang goes, oh, does that make you feel important? And Richard goes, I mean, it just seems unnecessary since I didn't do anything wrong.
Speaker 3: And like Ritter is really good in this role.
Speaker 1: He's got like a smugness, like he is I'm smarter than all of you, you know, like he's arrogant, he's smug, and it's like it almost feels like, I don't know if you were keep going with the wounded husband thing, keep acting like I don't know what you mean. Instead he's like, well, I haven't done anything wrong, you know. He just really has sort of changed his personality now and he's on the offensive with the cops, and so he goes, I haven't done anything wrong, and Benson goes, but your wife did, right, And he goes, we had marital problems, but we were working to solve them.
Speaker 3: And she he was like, or goes she left you, and he goes.
Speaker 1: He literally goes, I wouldn't say she left me so much as she was going to the man who fathered her child. It's like that she left you. You are the mayor of de Lulu Town, Like that is she left you. And he's just like, it's not really leaving. It's just preferring a partner with whom she has created a child over me. So he continues and he goes, she just thought that was the best solution, and Huang goes, but that was the wrong solution, and he nods and he goes, well, so the problem was the baby and now the problem doesn't exist because there's no baby, and he goes, well, yes, and he kind of grins, and Benson's like, Nicole wasn't going to marry Kyle. She just wanted to get away from you. So I guess that's what I'm confused about. She kind of told Kyle, I'm not going to marry you, but she also told her husband she was going to leave. I think she was just gonna go have the baby on her own. Maybe who knows, and Nicole's and he goes, Nicole doesn't know what she wants, and it's like fuck you man, Like he's I hate she doesn't know what she wants.
Speaker 3: Guy, fuck that. Huang's like, well, she wanted a relationship with another man. Why is that?
Speaker 1: And he goes, well, she probably thought our relationship was lacking, and Stabler goes lacking.
Speaker 3: What do you think was lacking?
Speaker 1: Dick because his name is Richard, of which Dick is a nickname, and Stabler is basically giving this guy.
Speaker 3: Making a dick joke about this guy being bad in bed.
Speaker 1: So Richard goes, oh, challenging my masculinity a little amateurist, don't you think, And Huang is like, no, it's a.
Speaker 3: Pretty obvious weakness he knows. Stabler's like, you.
Speaker 1: Think you're smarter than everybody else. And then one of them goes been to the Jim lately and he goes, oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that I did go pump iron on the night that I thought my wife was fucking missing, and wouldn't pick up her phone and didn't show up to meet me at dinner, Like, this is insane. How did Nicole fool you into believing you were the father? Stabler said, she made you look stupid, and you hated it for it. Benson said, so they're really going after her, and he goes, I love my wife, and they're like, you almost killed her, and then Huang is like, no, he killed the baby, but he wasn't smart enough to do the job right, and Richard goes, I don't even know what that means, and I think that was funny, like the way he says it. He's like, I don't even I don't even know what you're talking about. And they're like, well, Nicole can't have children now, and now I neither will you. And he goes, you're so wrong about me. All I care about is my wife and my family, and it ruined everything. And of course this psychle was talking about the baby, and so Kwang goes, so you got rid of it, and he goes, wouldn't anyone, So he's essentially like admitting it, and this is yikes to the max. And also, I don't believe this guy would.
Speaker 3: Talk without a lawyer, but he is he is arrogant, Yeah, yeah, but arrogant.
Speaker 1: But then it's like you can be arrogant, but to just confess, I mean, he just confessed essentially. Cabot on the other side of the glass, was like, arrest him. We've got him on assault one for attack on the mother plus abortion one. And Stabler's like, what about murder? He killed the baby and she's like, has Melinda confirmed that? And he's like, well, the baby was alive and now it's dead. And that's like there is sort of interesting language in this episode, like whether you're calling something a baby versus a fetus, you know, like there is language that is sort of sensitive around those topics, you know. So we have to establish that this fetus was literally born, and that if it was a baby, that it was legally a person, and it had to have been born alive and something that indicated that it lived outside of the womb. If he was killed in the womb, then he was never a person. But if he was born in a hospital, he would have lived. Olivia argues, and Cabot's like, it doesn't matter. Neonata sides are notoriously different. I never heard that term before. Neonata sides. Neonata sides are notoriously difficult to prosecute because the medical evidence is always inconclusive. Like it's very hard to I guess, determine whether they're killed in or out of utero if there is no witness, or whether they took a breath or not. So if there's no witness stating that the baby was alive. Cabot feels shaky on getting a murder conviction and a legal third trimester abortion is the best she thinks she can do, and Stabler is lit up.
Speaker 3: He's like, at seven months the baby moves.
Speaker 1: The only reason it's it's dead is because this dude bashed its skulln and it is a slippery slope, Like Cabot explains that argument could be used to stop abortions that are medically necessary, and do we want to go now charging abortion doctors and like it is wild. This episode is from two thousand and what three, No, this episode is from two thousand and two, Like these are arguments we're like still having.
Speaker 3: Today, you know.
Speaker 1: So it's it is a really interesting that the show tackled this issue, I think, but I thought it's.
Speaker 2: Also like fetus baby, it doesn't matter if it's involuntary, there's a crime, Like why is like why is Stabler so concerned like fetish like fetal murder, he would still get a lot of time in the attack on the wife, Like I don't know why it has to be murder of a baby.
Speaker 1: I think they she thinks he'll get more time for murder and that it's like for him, it's always about what it's called. It's always at like the ethics of like this is a murder, he needs to go down for murder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but isn't it still a crime?
Speaker 2: Like if I want to keep my if I want to stay pregnant and have my baby, and someone stabs and kills the baby I wanted, Like it doesn't matter if as a fetus or not, you like I wanted it. Because there's other episode. This is just one episode where they've done the opposite as well, you know, Yeah, those cases where it's like sometimes if you're drugged and uh not in normal state, we can't charge you, And then other times it's like, yep, you're still going to jail, Like they.
Speaker 3: Change the rules on us.
Speaker 1: I feel something I know, and also I don't maybe the rules have changed into a one. But like, if you kill a pregnant woman and the baby dies as well, I don't know if that's considered a murder as much as it is like an illegal.
Speaker 2: Abortion or well Scott Peterson was charged with the murder of both.
Speaker 3: Huh. Interesting, I wonder if it's states, if it's a state thing a lot. I'm going to google this really quickly.
Speaker 1: So there has been an act in the United States, The Unborn Victims of Violence Act of two thousand and four defines a fetus as a child in uterus and considers the death of an unborn infant during a federal violent crime to be a separate offense from the crime against the pregnant woman. The punishment for this offense is the same as the punishment for the same injury or.
Speaker 3: Death of the pregnant woman. So thirty eight states also have laws.
Speaker 1: That impose harsher penalties if the victim is murdered while pregnant, and some of those laws define the fetus as a person for the.
Speaker 3: Purpose of criminal prosecution.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it looks like but this episode came out no one, so maybe that shit wasn't you know.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. This show is like ahead of its time a lot, and it's like.
Speaker 2: Capital does this, and I feel like the judges are always like this precedent and then abortion and it's like, yeah, yeah, for criminal purposes, we can switch it up.
Speaker 3: Okay, if it's not your choice, it's.
Speaker 1: Murder, right, right, right, that's what Honestly, that's wildly what Ben Stabler is arguing here. Like Stabler is like, abortion is different, it's the mother's choice, and is like, if we charge for the murder of a fetus, we give the fetus rights, and do you want to go down that road? And Stable argues it's not the same thing, but it is in the eyes.
Speaker 3: Of the law.
Speaker 1: So Stabler's like, you saw that baby, Olivia, you saw that baby. This guy's gonna walk And Olivia's like, I don't like it, but we can't like walk back reproductive rights. Like this is a conundrum, and he's like, we're gonna let a murderer get away to preserve a political ideal. I don't even know what I'm doing here. He's like getting really really fired up. Craigan tells Stabler, take.
Speaker 3: A break, buddy, you need to go to the calm down room.
Speaker 1: It's like you just missed a fee for Columbia. It's yeah, like you can.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you could stop by the office and whip your dick around and give the check for thirty dollars.
Speaker 3: It's fifty but yes, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: I mean it was fifty back in the day and I was applying for college a little bit earlier than Maureen. But like, yeah, or maybe he is really traumatized by the case. But I think he's traumatized by the case, and he's also traumatized by the fact that he's now been doing this job for three years and talks to nobody about it, like you know, and he needs to get therapy. But does he do it for another ten seasons? I don't think so. So basically, Stabler walks off in a huff, and Cabot's like, if the emmy can give me solid evidence that the baby was alive, she can work with this, but she's not going to go for a murder in the death of an unborn child. And so Craigan's like, get your butts over to Werner, and Cabot you go to. So in the morgue, we see some other medical examiner just weighing the innerds of some dead Kui barf.
Speaker 3: It's like really nasty. And then well, it's what we talked to her about, this giant ass thing.
Speaker 2: So this is the scene where it's like the biggest liver we've ever seen in our lives.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that was a different one. That was one where cat where she was weighing it. In this scene, someone else is weighing it. And then they just zoom in on Melinda, but there's someone else in her office like taking out it.
Speaker 3: Like so this is another Yes, this is another one, and though but it looked comically over ye same way.
Speaker 1: They are definitely getting these parts at like butcher shops, and this is not human. These are not human parts, which we've got the tea from Tom Ratuni that let us know that. But she's reading off all this medical mumbo jumbo about the findings of the baby's body and to Cabat and Benson and Stabler, and then Stabler's like in English, please, and she's like, the baby took a breath. So Cabbat is laying it all out. If I go after him for murder, I'm dropping abortion and assault. There can only be one theory of the crime. Either he was trying to murder the baby, or he was trying to murder Nicole. I don't know why that's true either. She tells Melinda she has to be willing to testify that this was a live birth, and Melinda does not fuck around. She goes, I am so at trial. Melinda's on the stand being questioned by Trevor Langan and he looks so hot. And this is his first episode ever, and this is the episode where him and Marishka meet each other, and it's called monogamy.
Speaker 3: They had to have talked about that at their wedding.
Speaker 1: They had to someone have had to talk about that in the speech, please, like it's too much when we too good finally meet Marishka, we got to get wedding scoop.
Speaker 3: But also he has little glasses. He's a little cutie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think he's truly one of the hottest men. I think he's hot, then I think he's hot, now I think he's so fucking hot. They're like Harry Potter glasses, yeah, like little smart boy glasses, and he fucking hot. Melinda is like explaining all her science on the stand. She's looking gorgeous. She's so smart she's very like level headed, and he's like, pardon me, I'm very dumb at science.
Speaker 3: What is a hydrostatic test?
Speaker 1: And she explains it's like this test where the lungs are placed in water and if a portion of them floats, it means they were once inflated, so you can tell if someone has taken a breath. And that's what happened here. And by the way, Bobby Knival meaning Kyle Novachak, and Nicole are sitting together in the courtroom. Nicole has fully healed and looks beautiful and maybe they're back together through the trauma.
Speaker 3: Who knows.
Speaker 1: Trevor asks Melinda about post mortem putrefaction and all this stuff, and for a moment, Melinda pauses and looks a little bit like I see where this guy is going. Like she doesn't totally look like she's gotten got but she's like she pauses, and that's a flag for me.
Speaker 3: And that's I think tim Rtuni's.
Speaker 1: So good because that, like you can just feel that little pause is like, uh oh, where's this going? And then she's got her footing again and heeps, being like, well, why didn't you run it twice?
Speaker 3: Were you busy that day?
Speaker 1: And the judge is like, get to the point, and like, isn't it possible that post mortem gases are responsible for inflating the lungs And she's like, perhaps, but there were other factors, and he's cutting her off. He's running circles around her, like it's honestly, he's very hot, but he's being kind of a dick, and he is like getting her to admit on the stand that it's also possible the baby took a breath while partially expelled and then died before being fully expelled, which is what are we talking about, Like he took a breath like in the when the belly was first opened, and then by the time he got outside of it, Like this wasn't through the vaginal canal, it was through a C section.
Speaker 3: I'm sure our doctors are going to tell me how that could even be possible.
Speaker 1: But she admits it on the stand that it's possible, but she looks skeptical, and Stabler looks pissed. Outside Stabler's yelling at cabin about letting langon Sam bag Melinda, She's like, dude, he's right, we can't prove how and when the baby died beyond a reasonable doubt, and you can blame me if you want to. He'll probably get three and a half to nine years for the assault.
Speaker 3: He'll do two. Elliott is pissed, walks away.
Speaker 1: Elliott's in now in like these weird holding rooms where it seems like all the criminals talk to their lawyers. Maybe it's like under the courthouse, and he walks right over to the cage that Langan and Richard are sitting in, and Richard is real weirdo.
Speaker 3: He's like, Detective, what.
Speaker 1: A surprise, like acting like a freak, and Elliott says nothing. He just like dead eyed, stares at Richard, and then Trevor bates him and goes, go ahead, harass my client. I would love a mistrial, And Richard is like, why don't you leave us alone? Even though Trevor is like, I strongly advise against this private conversation, He's like, leave us so honestly. John Ritter is smiling and acting really creepy and smug. Stabler's like, oh, are you gonna shrink me? He goes, well, usually my time is worth two hundred dollars an hour, and then he starts to like give again two thousand and one pricing.
Speaker 3: Richard is like, okay, you're married. It's like okay, he's got a ring on. You're not a psychic.
Speaker 1: You have kids and he's like, yeah, I have four. He goes, what don't you do anything to protect your family? And Stabler's like killing a child? Nope, not for me. And he's like, well you understand that impulse, though, you know why I did what I had to do. And he's like, you had to protect what you had by destroying it, and he's like, I didn't destroy anything, and Stabler walks out. He's like, I didn't destroy anything. Back at trial, Lois Preston is the judge by the way she has been. Richard is on the stand now and he's saying how he and Nicole had agreed to meet for dinner to salvage their relationship. He's saying that he had a complete textbook case of a break with reality, like I don't know what's what happened. They agreed to meet to salvage the relationship, and then what triggered the break with reality? He just says he has a break with reality. Meanwhile, while he's talking, Finn and Munch come in and they hand Cabot some paperwork and they start whispering and he's.
Speaker 3: Like, I look back.
Speaker 1: Richard is like, I can't believe what I've done to the woman I love.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry Cabot.
Speaker 1: Then it's her turn to talk and she's like a new piece of evidence, and Langan is like, objection, we haven't seen this evidence, and so they approach the bench. Langan argues it was not provided during discovery, so it has to be out, and Cabot's like, it was not material to the charge, and so Lois lets it in.
Speaker 3: Trevor asks for a recess.
Speaker 1: He can prefer with his client, but Lois is like, I'm letting it in and.
Speaker 3: We're keeping going, like shut up.
Speaker 1: So Cabot questions, Richard, did you take your wife's word when she said that the kid was not yours? And he said yes, and then he's like, she goes, is there any possibility it was the result of another affair and he says, no, she told me it was Kyle Novachek's baby.
Speaker 3: Cabot drops a bomb.
Speaker 1: This is the new evidence that munch of Bin brought and it is a paternity test confirming that Kyle is Marity Povich not the father.
Speaker 3: So Richard was the father. He looked so shook. He says he would have known.
Speaker 1: He's like, I would have known if that baby was mine. And she was like, you were so sure he couldn't have been your child. You held your own baby in your hands.
Speaker 3: Did he cry? And this is always the part I remember when I think of this episode. Did your son cry before you killed him? And Richard shakes his head and goes and he's got like tears in his eyes. He's like, he only cried a little. He only cried a little, and then he starts to like breakdown, and that's fade to credits and it's Stickwolf Baby.
Speaker 2: Go to jail, bitch and Cabo looks so beautiful and stunning. It's like they do really good shots of her face and he is such a good actor and like.
Speaker 1: They killed yeah, and like we're not getting to the bottom of Okay, here's my question though, Like why did Kyle Novachek go and punch out that girl? Aaron to be like, don't tell about our affair, like find out by.
Speaker 2: Thought that you were gonna because I was like, why did we even need her?
Speaker 3: Like why need her.
Speaker 1: Go to that girl? I mean, she was a good red herring. But like, I think they could have just had what is like, she could have just given that up sooner instead of being scared, Like why would Kyle have gone to her and go you shut the fuck up? If the cops come to you, you don't say that we were in a relationship. It's like they're gonna find out, Like and also, you didn't do anything. You didn't do it, so why are you doing that anyway?
Speaker 2: Weird weird blod Well, he can't trust the police, like he's been incarcerated before. He's probably on probation, you know, like he didn't want to comply because fuck the police in his head, you know. Yeah, well, you guys are gonna be really upset, So I will move it along to the crime. Get ready to get sad. So this is the Richard Greist case. And this guy, I mean, yeah, you can assume he killed his wife an unborn child during a violent rampage on May tenth, nineteen seventy eight and Chess County, Pennsylvania. So it was his wife, Janis twenty six at the time. She was pregnant and he stabbed her to death and cut the fetus out of her body and like truly just ripped their unborn child out of her womb. And that's not all. This was a psychotic rampage. Grice then stabbed and gouged out his six year old daughter's eye. Oh my god, So that's beth An, So she doesn't have an eye and then he did but she lived. Yeah, okay, yeah, and then slashed his grandmother's throat and then butchered the family.
Speaker 3: Cat, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: And this is according to prosecutors, and then reported by the Philadelphia in Choir, which I am now a member of. So we will see if they let me cancel a little easier than Oklahoma did the Tulsa Times.
Speaker 3: What was it like they have left me alone? Was that Tulsa? Oh no, it was the Witchita.
Speaker 2: Eagle, Oh, the Witchita So yeah, I am a member of the Philadelphia Inquirer now, so he was. And it's Inquirer with an I, not an E like the bad paper. So I'm just saying it's like more legitimate, okay. So, and he was only twenty seven years old at the time, and he was an aid at Penhurst State Hospital. And he said, he, you know, he flew into the psychotic rage.
Speaker 3: He used a screwdriver on his wife.
Speaker 2: He stabs her to death and the second floor bedroom of their house in rural East Coventry and yeah, cut her open, mutilated this unborn sign and with the gram Yeah, the grandma was a fucking butcher knife Anna Gresco.
Speaker 3: She was seventy one at the time. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And then he was evading police trying to you know, he's running shirtless outside of the house. And there's actually a photo taken for our spot News photography by a photographer named Thomas J. Kelly and he ended up winning the Pulitzer Prize.
Speaker 3: For this photo. Wow.
Speaker 2: And it was called Tragedy on Santa Taga Road. And this guy's bearded and I don't know, hopefully we get the rights to this photo so we can post it.
Speaker 3: And he was running from the home. The cops had to subdue him.
Speaker 2: He was charged with one count of criminal homicide and two counts of attempted criminal homicide. He got to have a non jury trial in July and August of nineteen eighty And this is what's going to make you the most upset. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity for stabbing his wife in nineteen eighty God, so I'm pissed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I try.
Speaker 2: I mean, I want like full court docs because even with all the research I did, I truly can I can't understand this. So this was decided by the Common please Court judge Thomas Pitt after a defense expert testified that he was suffering from psychosis at the time of the attacks and could not legally distinguish between right and wrong. Now, only the Times Harold after a while of research, I saw they were the only paper that reported that he flew into a quote drug fueled psychotic rage. If this is drug fueled go to prison, bitch, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Not like, if it's just like a psychotic break, then I do feel how do you even prove it either way?
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: The verdict was extremely controversial, and then according to the Daily Local News, it said this case was a precursor to a similar finding for the would be assassin of Ronald Reagan.
Speaker 3: So like.
Speaker 2: And he was involuntarily committed to Norristown State Hospital in nineteen eighty one, and he tried to be moved from the hospital to community group home immediately like he constantly wanted a less restrictive setting, and because of this like not guilty charge, every year, they had a hearing to see if he could be released every year.
Speaker 3: Oh no, every year. I'm sorry, that's like a taking time bomb situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was always begging to be released and I'm like, fuck you. So in two thousand and eight, So he did spend decades, decades into in this hostel. All, so in two thousand and eight, like you know, trying to get as much info on all the hearings I could. So they had a hearing and the hospital doctors believed he functioned well and deserved a chiller setting, but a psychiatrist for the prosecution testified that Gris still blames women for in his life for his problems, including his wife that he killed, which demonstrates a lack of insight and empathy and which makes his release way too fucking risky. And the judge at this point made the right decision and told him he needed to stay longer at this horse Town State Hospital. Judge Edward Griffith ruled that he needed more and like insight orient like treatment to become more insightful to address his behavior, like realize that the problems were within the judge noted that Gryce still sees himself as the victim and he engages a manipulative behavior with his caregivers, and that he needs to remain in a structured setting of the hospital. Now, I just like don't understand any So in two thousand and nine, they had a state hospital yard sale. Didn't know that was a thing, and he he purchased a pick axe. And this came out because of these yearly meetings, and so the lead psychiatrist, Olu FUCKIESI said, well, Gryce, And at this point, Gryce is fifty seven years old, and he's like, oh, well, he bought the axe for gardening. So I didn't like really see a reason to mention it or taken away from him. Like I don't get this hospital.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, a shovel. We'd get a little tiny trowel, plastic trowel. There are plastic trowels.
Speaker 2: And I love this judge, and this judge had this case for decades, like every fucking year, and Edward Griffith, the judge goes the hospital sells pick axes, Oh my god, and again back and forth. So like some people to the hospital go no, he deserves a chiller space, and others are like, no, he fails to understand what prompted his breakdown, so there is a risk for another one. But also, how did they prove it was a psychotic break It makes absolutely no sense that this man is not in jail. So in twenty third, his psychiatrist Ira Brenner said Gryce finally had progress over the years and has greater self awareness and expressions of sadness and remorse. Again, I don't care, and to quote Miranda, so like a man can correctly identify a feeling, so we got to give him a prize, Like when she's talking about Richard with Samantha where she's like, well, you know he was sorry, he got scared, and it's.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, like I don't.
Speaker 2: So he finally has sadness for gouging out his daughter's eye, fucking mutilating his fucking feeding, Like it's insane that he finally has some sort of feeling and we're still trying to get him released. It's insane, and this all these doctors should be fucking committed, and this Brenner wanted him released, and she gives me Bronwin vibes. She really fucking does, and thank God for Deborah Ryan, who was a DA and she fought to keep him in and he's She's like, he's still a risk. And Judge Griffith did a lot like kept him inside and.
Speaker 3: Really fought it.
Speaker 2: So the judge also didn't like that Grist would refuse to meet with the state appointed psychiatrists. He only wanted to meet with the ones that were like he was able to manipulate. And so the doctor Barbara Ziv she testified, she's like a state person that was the state appointed person. She believed Grist would decompensate is that a word in a less restrictive environment, and that he only engages in therapy on a superficial level. But again the hospital staff just kept requesting that he be granted expanded privileges for unsupervised trips off hospital grounds. And so the judge finally in twenty thirteen allowed for off ground privileges. So he got to leave for an unsupervised outing for twelve hour stretches once a month, and for a twenty four hour stretch every three months, and then every Sunday he can go to church no matter what. And at church at the it was a Jehovah witness place.
Speaker 3: That's where he.
Speaker 2: Ended up meeting one of his two wives. What the woman he met here was a woman from New Zealand and she ended up continuing to be his wife forever, like they're together. And then the first wife was a nurse at the hospital who later ended up.
Speaker 1: Taking her own life. Oh my god, now they're kids. Wait, I'm sorry. Was he married to them at the same time? You said, like you know, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: No, no, sorry, I didn't say it right, like you know that that was just his second wife he met at church, like I do know how to order?
Speaker 1: Okay to talk about he had another wife that he met before. Okay, so, oh my god.
Speaker 2: So he married like a nurse and then she died sadly, and then he found this woman at church and they have stayed married. And his children, his daughters did not want him released and said that him being let out would fuck up their long road to recovery. Like they did not want him out. Yeah, but eventually, Jen he was released into the wild. So more than forty years later, in twenty twenty two, he was released from no for Orristown State Hospital.
Speaker 3: The judge, like, I.
Speaker 2: Said, Edward Griffith ruled that he could go free, but with the condition that he can have no contact with his daughters Angela and Beth Anne, who were forty nine and fifty at this time. He also mus had to meet with a psychiatrist monthly. And so Grace's next supervising psychiatrist comes on in and that's doctor Edgar Martinez and still with doctor Ira Brenner, part of the team who I think is Bronwin. And they were just like, listen, his psychosis was a long time ago, and it's been like subsidized a long time ago. Like he's not had a freak out in all these years in this hospital. But I also think he's a manipulative motherfucker and it wasn't psychosis and he should be in fucking prison getting a needle. Sorry, Like, And they said he still has some personality disorders, but those can't mandate commitment. And the DA's office was still against this. So he had an appointed lawyer named Marita Hutchinson. He also then hired a personal attorney named Michael Van Derven who he was known for representing Trump in his second impeachment trial.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Also, how does this man who I bet the woman the wife, Oh, paying for it? Jesus. Sure, he's not going to marry someone about money. He can't worry. He's not working as she's probably so.
Speaker 2: He's quoted by the Daily Local News, this Michael lawyer in quotes, he should not have been incarcerated for forty four years.
Speaker 3: I disagree.
Speaker 1: Was he even incarcerated. He wasn't incarcerated. He was in a medical facility.
Speaker 3: He wasn't in jail. Shit.
Speaker 2: And he's like her kid, He's like, if he had been convicted of a crime, he would have been out of prison by now. And again I disagree with that too. I think he would have gotten life for this violence.
Speaker 1: Yes, the murder of a two women, right, the grandmother died as well with her throat slit.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on. And then the murder of the baby, no, grandma.
Speaker 2: Grandma didn't die because it was a on count of homicide and two counts of life.
Speaker 3: She was solid one of murder.
Speaker 2: I mean come on. But also it's like screwdriver to your wife's pregnant belly and then you mutilated the fetus south side. Yeah, oh you gouged out an eye of your mild I this lawyer being like he would have been released. He would have gotten life, if not the death penalty, depending where I mean Pennsylvania, I don't know, well, this is a Trump guy, So so he moved in with his church wife, Francis Grist, who's quoted in the Philly Inchoir saying I've known him for eighteen years and I've loved him as long as I've known him. The Chester County DA Deborah Ryan, fought to keep him in custody and believes that there's still a risk of him having another violent breakdown. She's like, he committed one of the most brutal and heinous murders in our county's history, and his release is deeply troubling, and that's to the Philly Inquirer. Christ's attorney and Marita Hutchinson, said he is certainly pleased with the decision. Like he told me, I can't really feel happy because I have so much guilt and grief and regret for the deaths of my wife, an unborn child, and the injuries that happened to my daughters. In July twenty twenty, three months after he was let out, a Common Please Court Judge William P.
Speaker 3: Man mahon, what is it mho n mahon. Yeah, I am.
Speaker 2: Signed an order discontinuing the court's oversight of his mental health treatment after the attorneys and psychiatrists said he no longer fit the constraints of the States Protocol and so he gets to be in his seventies and never had to serve any time in prison for his brutal murders. So if any of our lawyers or researchers or anyone that studied this in school, I don't know, like, let me know what am I missing?
Speaker 3: What am I missing?
Speaker 1: And there was like that woman the woman we covered the Bobby Joe Sinet case, remember where the woman cut a fetus from another woman.
Speaker 3: She got the fucking death penalty.
Speaker 1: She got the fucking death penalty, and she was abused horrifically her entire fucking life and was put to death. That was what was just like to me, it's like this reeks of like a men being like this government has no right to like police this man's mind and this man's mental health. Where it's like if a woman did something like this, goodbye a mom even worse, you know, like just.
Speaker 3: Get out of here. You can't hurt a child, you can't kill Like, ugh, yeah, I want to read the transcripts.
Speaker 2: I just like, really, am not gonna do that, but I am like, I just need to know how this case went down because I am flabberg acid, like I do not understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you for taking us through that crime. I had not heard of that. Pretty infuriating.
Speaker 2: I just don't know what I'm getting. And I'm into mental health, I'm into people. But You're right, I totally forgot about that case. Fucking put to death by Trump.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Lisa Montgomery, we were really trying to get her commuted to life sentence, and.
Speaker 2: This Trump lawyer is just like, oh, come on, he wouldn't have served that much time. And I mean we talked about this with Eileen Werno's case, like women are put to death like.
Speaker 3: And pregnant women. Pregnant women are so susceptible. Oh horrible.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we don't have a guest today, so let's just jump right into our post mortem, which I believe we're kind of starting right now.
Speaker 3: This episode.
Speaker 1: Wow, what are we learning here? This guy don't marry a guy who fucking jesus, this guy he knew how to map out every second of this, Like go to the bar, order a drink, go across town, get the car for the car park, kill you with the car park, take you.
Speaker 3: Care like it was.
Speaker 2: This is like an anti nerd thing or thing you're saying. I'm like, you shouldn't be with smart guys. Listen, my husband is a fucking full nerd. There's no way he has the logistics to pull off something like what happened here.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not no, absolutely not no. He'd be in Yeah, he'd be in jail, meeting maybe in jail so quickly he would go down in history for leaving the most amount of evidence of any crime scene. That's what would be happening. That's true. And then yeah, I guess it.
Speaker 2: But also it's weird that they were even together. And I know that's rude, but the couple, it's like, I just don't get it.
Speaker 3: Sweater vest guy, Yeah, you're into the sweater vest guy.
Speaker 1: And then of course you meet Bobby Cannavale and you're like this guy, construction job guy.
Speaker 3: I want I want this, Yes.
Speaker 2: But do you think he knows that he is known as the guy with the funky tasting spunk through generations? Like I don't I know him from Blue Jasmine in that, like, that's pretty much. I know he's a prolific actor, but to me, I only think of the spunk, and I wonder if that would hurt him or not.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he knows that there's a subject of women where sex in the city is his biggest thing.
Speaker 3: Like I'm sure he.
Speaker 1: Knows that, right, Yeah, but it must be so awkward to go up to him on the street and be like, I loved you and sex and the city.
Speaker 3: You know, when your jiz tastes weird.
Speaker 1: Like it's just such a way, like that is a weird fan interaction, I would say.
Speaker 2: And that he did kill his baby. It's oh, it's just like men, it just needs to be rewired. I just don't it might not be my baby, so I'll kill you, like I don't. It's really I mean, you can't trust anybody out there, just tough.
Speaker 1: He was also so sure it wasn't his baby, like they hadn't fucked in a long time. So but then it was weird that it was, but maybe they just it would have been kind of a good extra twist if at the end they were like just kidding, it wasn't your baby. And then like he just confessed kidding it wasn't yours.
Speaker 2: And then we probably talked about it on the app. But this is the episode where Benson Well, Peter Herman, and Marishka met.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is the episode they iconically met on an episode called Monogamy, which is ironic and funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then their first day was at church and I will be hopefully asking her about that one day.
Speaker 1: Oh, I just saw something that was on like Instagram or or Twitter or something. It's like but you know where it's these long things and you're like these long stories and you're kind of like is this true or not?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: People are doing these posts now where it's like interesting fact you might not know.
Speaker 3: And it's like basically it's.
Speaker 1: All about her meeting Peter Herman on the set and how she just like knew immediately that it was like this was the guy for her and.
Speaker 3: Like YadA YadA.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm on the trivia for the episode. Also, this is the first one to not show the Twin Towers in the opening credits. Oh yeah, so that's just something just a very important episode, I think.
Speaker 3: And while into the history.
Speaker 2: And while in interrogating Manning Stabler, wears a flag pin on his lapel, most likely in honor of the Twin Towers. Are you as like someone on IMDb like making that up? But also you can say helpful or not helpful, And six people did think that was a helpful trivia, So.
Speaker 1: Pretty good eagle eye looking out for those American flags.
Speaker 3: Wherever we can get.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we can move on, we can go into our what would Sister Peg do? This is our weekly segment where we point you towards a resource, a blog, an article, a book, something that gives you more information about the topic we talked about in today's episode. And this week we want to direct you guys to the National Partnership for Women and Families. The mission of this organization is to quote improve the lives of women and families by achieving equality for all women. They are advocacy group fighting on behalf of both economic and health justice for women. They also have a program called Childbirth Connection, which connects women to high quality pregnancy information so that they can make informed decisions for their birth plans. I also found an article on there about like domestic violence during pregnancy. It's very common, so a lot of good resources over there, so to donate to them or learn more, head on over to Nationalpartnership dot org and that will be posted in our stories the day that this episode comes out, as well as saved forever on our Instagram page in the highlight called WWSPD.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for that, And next week we'll be doing contact from season one all the way back episode nineteen, So see you next time, Bye bye. That's Messed Up is an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 3: Thank you so.
Speaker 2: Much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to our.
Speaker 1: Mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 3: Thank you to our executive producers.
Speaker 1: Georgia hard start Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer and everybody at exactly right media dut dun