Speaker 1: The few days leading up to Saturday, January twenty first felt like the calm before the storm. Nobody knew exactly what was going to happen at the weekend protest in downtown Atlanta, but there was a sense that something would. Shortly after the Wednesday shooting, a flyer went out calling for a gathering at Underground Atlanta on Saturday, January twenty first, and to wear black clothes in morning. This is it could happen here. I'm Garrison Davis, and I arrived at Underground Atlanta just a bit before five pm. The crowd was still slowly grown, and a bunch of big news cameras were filling up the central area. As more people filtered in, some who knew Tort went up in front of everyone to share memories of Torti Ghita and talk about the continuing fight to defend the forest.
Speaker 2: Obviously, we're all here because Tort was an amazing person and their life meant a lot. But Tort also shared something in common with all of us, and that was the values and things that they were fighting for, and all of us are fighting for a great content. We all have it in common, but it makes us all targets. They will always target us because they don't believe in the things that we believe in, and they will always be after us. And we all have to stand here and stay together and stay resilient, to fight for what we believe in, and never let Towort's memory go without honor.
Speaker 3: If they would kill an innocent person like Torque, someone who loved their community, they will stop to kill us. They won't stop to kill everyone in that forest. They won't stop to kill anyone who defies them. And that is pretty much all I had to say.
Speaker 1: A few people from the Atlanta Resistance Medics, a local street medical group dedicated to the liberation of medicine and providing medical resources for underprivileged and marginalized people, spoke about Torti Ghita, who was a member of their collective.
Speaker 4: If there's one thing that we want people to remember Tourt for, it's if they were somebody who protected the people around them, who went through the training along with the rest of us, to be able to provide medical resources to the people that were around them. They may not have access to those no matter what else the news says about tort they were a protector. Everything they did was out of love. Everything they did was out of hope for a better world. And I don't care what the police say. I don't care what the media says. I don't care what anybody says. Torpe was out here working for a better world. They may want to smear them as an extremist, they were not. They were out here protecting their fellow people. And that's what we want everybody to remember about them. Just say they were out here trying to build a better world, no matter what anybody else says.
Speaker 5: All right, I'd love y'all to repeat after me, Art Doug. La lu Ja siege, La lu Ja Siege is a medic in our collective. They were a forest defender. They were a friend, They were funny kind Sarta Vida was constantly thinking of others. They were constantly trying to protect other people, trying to protect the forest, trying to protect everyone who was marginalized. They centered voices on them who are on the margins and brought them into the center. They recognized that our struggles are interconnected. They recognized that cop City will never be built. They died defending that forest. The memory Oftito that I keep returning to is after the police destroyed the gazebo at Leilani People's Park in the parking lot. They were at a meeting and they said, yeah, so the cops think they can destroy our morale, they can't. Yeah. Tartuita was one of the most resilient, strongest people. Well I know, they hugged everyone. They were so kind and so giving, and even as the state tries to assassinate their character in addition to their body, they were a freedom fighter. They were a person that I am honored to have known that I am honored to have called a friend.
Speaker 1: About four hundred people eventually gathered around Underground Atlanta. It seemed like slightly more people than we're at the vigil the previous night.
Speaker 6: Everything in modern life serves to atomize you, to make you feel like you were an individual, divorce from any sense of collective identity, divorced from any sense that you have a purpose and that there is good in the world. The fact that you're here means that you're fighting against that. Don't let go of that. That is powerful. And that's why cop City isn't going to be built, is because we have love for ourselves and for the people around us.
Speaker 7: All right, So I'm sure all of you are fairly upset about this. I am Tort was a friend of mine. They were a friend of the community. Their death, their death will not be in.
Speaker 8: Vain, fucking top city fuck at all.
Speaker 1: By five point thirty, about half the crowd gathered at Underground Atlanta were in Black Bloc and the rest were a variety of activists, organizers, and random people who decided that it was important to be at this event. After some speeches, chants, and stories of Tort, the gathering of people turned into a march and took to the streets. March is starting just left Underground Atlanta. Around three hundred people maybe maybe more, are marching down the street. There's mix of people in block. There's medics here, people it's kind of in regular clothes, holding signs. There's a banner in the front that reads they can't kill us All. Firework banner at the front that says trees give life, police take it. After just a minute of marching down one street, the crowd suddenly stopped. Looks like the marshes turning around going to the other side.
Speaker 5: Stop stop doges.
Speaker 9: Some more small.
Speaker 1: Fireworks betting launched in the sky. Banners getting moved to the front. It looks like the mark is now heading north into downtown. Organizers from the Party for Socialism and Liberation attempted to take control of the march and lead the group south in the direction of the State Capitol Building or possibly looping around to the CNN Center, but autonomous activists in the crowd turned the march around and the group four hundred strong headed north. It sounds like the PSL people who were gathered at the underground tried tried to lead the march in one direction and everyone was like, no, we don't want to go that way. The ps AND people are gonna lead everyone into like the Federal Building section of downtown going south, and very quickly they turned around. Well, other other people turned around. It was like, no, we're not going that way. They're taking a ride down Peachtree heading heading north into down town. Right beside the Coca Cola sign on Marietta. The march entered the Commercial District, a section of the city completely gutted out by years of the Atlanta Way neoliberal policies that we talked about in the Defend the Forest episodes from last May. The area is populated almost exclusively by business people, university students, and unhoused citizens, and was a common sight for Atlanta's twenty twenty BLM protests. Now that the march is moving, it's easier to see everyone.
Speaker 9: In black, all of all, all the people in bloc. It's looking more just like a.
Speaker 1: Large, large, massive people in bloc now have not seen much police presence downtown yet because that's just a few few patrol cars.
Speaker 9: It's really unclear.
Speaker 1: How Atlanta Police argus is going to respond to this. Got some flares, a lot more of those smoke fireworks or smoke grenade things. It's not a grain, it's like.
Speaker 9: A cardboard tube shooting smoke out.
Speaker 1: The block continued to travel north Road. Flares and fireworks lit the path in the darkening evening. Graffiti quickly sprung up on walls with phrases like rip little turtle and stop cop city the march. The march is now approaching an Atlanta police vehicle who's trying to back up the cop does not one of the cop cop car is right in the middle of where the march is gonna go. They're like less than one hundred feet away, Just one single cop car that happens to be in the path they are. They are trying to back out of the street. The march has the trees give life, Please take it banner. There's a big cardboard cutout of a tree right behind it. Police have their lights turned on. Now looks like the cop cars turning around. Yeah, and the cop car is leaving rather quickly. The sun was just starting to set as the block arrived at the main goal of the night, the Atlanta Police Foundation Headquarters at one nine to one Peachtree Street.
Speaker 9: They've stopped in front of.
Speaker 1: Atlanta Police Foundation headquarters.
Speaker 9: People are thrown throwing stuff at the windows and doors.
Speaker 1: Broken windows at the Atlanta Police Foundation headquarters.
Speaker 9: The people funding cop City firework thrown.
Speaker 1: Umbrellas moved in to block local news cameras as windows shattered. Rocks emerged from backpacks and smashed into the front of the building. Hammers met the glass entrance as fireworks lit up the scene. Another fire, another firework at the a lot of Police Foundation. The march is tightening up a decent bit. March is definitely tightening up. A lot of people just in block now. Shouts of bee water kept the mass moving forward as bank windows received a similar pelting of rocks and hammers, people chanting to move like water. I feel a lot of police cars right beside the march. I'm guessing they're going to pull in in front of pull in behind the march. Two police cars right there. People hitting Chase Bank. Another stuff being dragged into the street for like a top two barricade. Chase Bank's head of Regional Investment Banking, John Richard, serves on the board of the Atlanta Police Foundation. Police officers exited the two cop cars that were trailing the march and quickly ran away from the crowd, leaving their vehicles abandoned. Corker's trying to keep track of where the police are in relation to the march. Looks I got some cars pulling up behind the police car pulled up behind the march. Scott their windows broken, fireworks.
Speaker 9: From under another firework.
Speaker 1: Another Atlanta Please vehicle had their windows smashed.
Speaker 9: So there's two.
Speaker 1: The two that was behind the march, the two Atlanta Police officer cars that were behind the march.
Speaker 9: This got hit.
Speaker 1: Wells Fargo, one of the main cop city funders, received special love and attention from the block. The Atlanta Area president for Wells Fargo. Mitch Grahl is also on the board of trustees for the Atlanta Police Foundation. A few other banks hit around this area. Wells Fargo one of the contributors to the Atlanta Police Foundations, one of their big funders and backers. A lot of the media here very very thirsty to get to get stuff of, you know, put into people breaking windows and shit. It was kind of surprising that the crowd made it this far without any real police response. Time almost stretches during these brief moments of uprising. About seven minutes after the first window shattered, Atlanta police finally arrived and made their move.
Speaker 9: Police are in front of in front of the march.
Speaker 1: Now please in front of the rough march. People might be turning around. They want to do a full like water type thing.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Multiple cop cars are approaching the march from the front. Unclear what the crowd is gonna do. Well, Atlanta p D is now now approaching the march.
Speaker 9: They're getting closer.
Speaker 1: They're going after one of the banners, dragging somebody down, pulling someone to the ground. They're chasing people. One person's being arrested. M march is splitting in two different directions. Officers started randomly tackling and arresting anyone they could get their hands on. More police arrived from the south and chased it down a small section of the march that branched off. Atlanta police coming from behind as well, so they got Alanta police from both sides. Not many officers though, just a few officers. Looks like the majority of the march.
Speaker 10: With out street direcree chan movie dispersed, disperse, get, disburse.
Speaker 1: Please getting more aggressive, pushing a lot of people. Footage and audio of these violent arrests were shared by the Defend the Forest account, Unicorn Riot and myself your numbers.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 9: I hear screams coming from multiple directions. Large.
Speaker 1: Looks like the march kind of split in two.
Speaker 9: I've seen a lot of arrests.
Speaker 1: The individuals targeted likely committed no crime other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The majority of the march split away and in a different direction from the cops. So I stated where the cops were most of the march. I was able to get away by going through two differ direction.
Speaker 9: We have.
Speaker 1: It looks like and Atlanta PD vehicle is on fire. Atlanta PD vehicle burning in the street, burning cop car.
Speaker 9: Police with AR style AR style rifles.
Speaker 1: So I feel like most of the march had had hitded on that way I saw over there. It seems one of the cop cars that got smashed also spontaneously lit on fire. When the police first confronted the march, most of the block was able to peel off and disappear into the night. Affinity groups reconnected, block was shed and protesters evacuated out of downtown as the police flooded the mile long stretch of Peachtree Street that the crowd marched on. After a fire truck put out the burning cop car, police taped off the area, and as they were pushing people out, I recorded an officer saying this amazing line.
Speaker 9: The whole than fireworks, is my bomb going off?
Speaker 1: Bombs or discount New Year's Eve fireworks? You choose all. In all, the actions that night only took about an hour, and crews made it home in time for dinner. Six people were arrested at the protest Saturday night. Five were tackled and pinned down as the crowd initially scattered, and one other person was chased by a cop car. Sam from the Atlanta Community Press Collective has more on that.
Speaker 11: A protester who was subsequently arrested was witnesses state they were uh basically followed through the streets by an Atlanta police vehicle before witnesses say that they were hit by the same vehicle and they were then taken to jail. So, you know, corn RYE released that video and we were able to speak with the few witnesses because, as I'm sure everyone saw on social beautia this weekend, the arrests were a familiar brutal, familiar brutal site.
Speaker 1: Before we continue, I do want to play two short clips that were circulating the night of the protest. First is police at scanner audio of the cop whose car spontaneously combusted.
Speaker 10: You want a car, you know, yeah, I will these protests.
Speaker 12: They bloom a damn car and I ain't able to go getting uneat only you know as what you did.
Speaker 1: This next one is from live news coverage of the march, and this clip became an instant meme, so.
Speaker 9: They're now saying GBI suck.
Speaker 4: GBI is a Georgia Bureau of Investigation.
Speaker 1: Mayor Andre Dickens and the chief of Police gave a press conference hours later, which gave us a look at how the state was going to try and frame the protest and acts of targeted vandalism.
Speaker 13: My message is simple to those who seek to continue this type of criminal behavior, We will find you, and we will arrest you, and you will be held accountable. We have arrested several of them this evening, and Chief surebamb will give you the details on that. And some of them were found with explosives on them. You heard that correctly, explosives, and that has led to a police officer's car being set on fire.
Speaker 1: During the press conference, the Chief of Police clarified that no law enforcement officers were injured as a result of the protest, and neither were any bodystanders, which means the only violence against people was done by the cops who randomly tackled any protester that they could chase down.
Speaker 14: And so it doesn't take a rocket scientist or an attorney to tell you that breaking windows and.
Speaker 15: Setting fires not protest.
Speaker 14: That is terrorism, and that they will be charged accordingly, and they will find that this police department in the partnership is equally committed to stop that activity. We already have prosecutors in the room as we speak, and we're reviewing everything and we have a lot of evidence to still go through. So even charges you see tonight, those can easily be upgraded, and they will be upgraded if appropriate.
Speaker 1: I brought up the police chief's comments to a few of the forest offenders that I spoke with after the protest on Saturday in downtown. Police chief schneierbamb it's hard, I've.
Speaker 9: Read it before.
Speaker 1: On Yeah, anyway, they alanted police chiefs said that breaking windows and setting fires is terrorism. I'm curious to get everyone's thoughts on that.
Speaker 12: Sure, I think the Least and Andre Dickens are doing what a lot of city governments have done, especially during twenty twenty, which was like do things like call property destruction terrorism, which like it's not and you can call it whatever you want.
Speaker 16: You can call it like property destruction and call it terrorism.
Speaker 15: Is a very like.
Speaker 12: Specific political strategy that exists. I think the right wing does it a lot.
Speaker 15: And it would be worth calling that, like, you.
Speaker 12: Know, because Defend the Forest doesn't have a BodyCount. The police have only murdered an activist for defend the Forest, whereas Defend the Forest has not strucken out violently against anybody except in defense against the police.
Speaker 15: You cannot do.
Speaker 16: Violence to property. You cannot be violent towards a police car.
Speaker 12: It's the same way that Andre Dickens is now getting on TV and claiming.
Speaker 15: That like fire calling fireworks explosives.
Speaker 12: It's like, yes, there are objects that explode, but this is very clearly being done in bad fith because it is it is it justifies. This is the same way like the DoD and the FBI, you.
Speaker 16: Call something terrorism, the money just pours on.
Speaker 12: You get funding, you get justification to do things like that, and you can arrest people and charge them with domestic terrorism. That makes continuing and movement incredibly hard. That's a really dangerous implication that any act in dissidence to the state could be called domestic terrorism. Should really scare of the ship and everybody just here bit around the control and should not be allowed to stand and should be competed against. Some of reform.
Speaker 1: I talked with Peter about how if the police are viewing vandalism or destruction of inanimate objects as domestic terrorism, if breaking a window is terrorism, that makes the question what exactly is destroying a forest?
Speaker 8: That juxtaposition of what the police consider violence, and like, what sort of like destruction of objects is violence?
Speaker 12: To me?
Speaker 8: This demonstrates what they see like as valuable. And also this demonstrates the police state and the corporation's inability to understand the aliveness of all things and how sacred the earth is. It shows that what they consider sacred, what they hold as sacred is property, and specifically their property. I think they fear the woods in part because it moves in ways that they can't comprehend. It moves in nonlinear ways.
Speaker 1: Cricket also had something to say on this topic, well.
Speaker 17: And what is destroying a forest? What is destroying a person? They're more upset about the destruction of property than the destruction of a person, a whole human being who is twenty six years old. They were young, they just started. And that does not seem to measure up against some glass panes. That doesn't seem to register. And what about the terror they inspire in the forest? What about the I mean, obviously that these rhetorical questions when I'm preaching to the choir, but I mean, god, no, it's it's just infuriating. There's no how long for the day When the line is not drawn at well, you can do anything except touch private property.
Speaker 1: Noah mentioned the juxtaposition of broken windows being terrorism, but violent actions that actually hurt people seemingly not mattering nearly as much at least compared to a cracked window.
Speaker 12: Right, So it's a clear double standard in the same way that like, you know, during twenty twenty, people setting farm to police precincts was insurrection and an anarchy and on these things, But when the National Guard would shoot people it was a tragic air, I justified shooting. When when vigilantes would drive cars in the crowds and you know they can and play them for pit bombs protests, it does not get treated with the same levity because the powers that be can never, will, never will obviously never hold themselves the same standards that they will.
Speaker 15: Call us as their enemies, the meaning.
Speaker 16: Of words that matter to them.
Speaker 12: What matters is being able to get good sound bites to put on like Antifa actionship and make themselves because the city's decided that they can't back down from the procrap people that they're not willing to like backdown on that find.
Speaker 15: That this is where they're going to stake their flag and try and hold it out.
Speaker 1: From the start of the movement, the police have aggressively arrested and persecuted protesters associated with the struggle to stop cop City, starting all the way back with the first arrest of eleven peaceful protesters snatched off the sidewalk during the city council's vote to approve cop City. As corporations and the state moved to push cop Citi's development forward despite all public opposition. Repression has increased dramatically over the last few months. Since December, everyone arrested in connection with the movement against cop City has been charged with domestic terrorism.
Speaker 11: It's not a huge surprise in terms like terrorism and eco terrorism have been coming up, I mean in private conversations probably since the beginning, but we can trace it back to at least last summer, when and some emailed emails we've obtained throughout open records requests where a city council member and the Police Foundation were just kind of pejoratively throwing around the term terrorists in response to I think it was graffiti or something like, I hope they catch these terrorists soon. The terrorists who graffiti to building. It has also shown up in a couple different public meetings that are about the training center.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 11: Committee members who are pro Public Safety Training Center, anti anyone being opposed to it have also used the term eco terrorism.
Speaker 1: The dangerous escalation of protest to suppression is not limited to people engaging in pasive, resistance or direct action.
Speaker 11: Some of our open records requests have even shown that since sincest fall for several months now, anyone who participates in like a write in or a call in campaign. Sometimes those very simple emails of hey, I don't think your company should be participating in this project will get forwarded up to the chief of police. You know, people's names, emails, just very very simple call in campaign type stuff. The most monoculous stuff gets forwarded as part of you know, security alert.
Speaker 1: This is the anti democratic chilling effect in action. Politicians and police are trying to create a political climate where people are too scared to exercise their right to protest, organize, and take action. Georgia's Republican governor Brian Kemp has bolstered this alarming escalation of violence and repression against political speech by blaming out of state rioters and a quote network of militant activists who have committed similar acts of domestic terrorism across the country unquote rhetoric that has been mirrored by liberal politicians in the city of Atlanta. The broad labeling of environmental and racial justice movements as quote unquote terrorism and those who get associated with such movements as domestic terrorists is an extremely dangerous precedent designed to stifle public opposition and scare anyone concerned about police militarization and climate change away from protesting. It's a crude attempt to use as powerful tools as possible to crush opposition and remove the protest from public spotlight while creating cover for intensive suppression of protest movements. Police are making an example out of people by trying to pin the actions of autonomous individuals in a decentralized movement on anyone that was unlucky enough to cross paths with the police by threatening thirty five years in prison. Let's talk a bit about the role of the domestic terrorism charges in how they are being applied, because they're not even being applied to people that are like tied to specific acts like use. Specifically, we have evidence that you burned down an escap like it like a like a construction equipment. That's that's not what they're being used, not even being used for. Like we saw we saw you break this window, that's not even how you're being used. Like the people restaurant Saturday, all six of them got the same exact charges. Yes, how can all six people have done all the exact same thing? So they're obviously not being used and they type of like factual evidence based away it's all about like us trying to turn the movement itself into a criminal association.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, APD has even said that themselves in a public meeting that's supposed to kind of like provide advice on like how the public wants this project built. You know, they in the December meeting, which I think took place a day after after those raids, they they bragged about pulling someone over illegally for for filming the police. They said they were very proud of themselves for taking that person to jail, and then they they just blatantly said that anyone arrested for this in connection with this movement will get a domestic terrorism charge, which creates an equivalency that being opposed to this project is domestic terrorism. You know, the chief of police Darren Sheerbaum went before cameras on Saturday, and I think pretty much verbatim said, breaking a glass window that is terrorism. A lot of people have opinions about how to protest, right, but what people have conveyed to us is that even those who are, you know, kind of horrified by property damage, it's just not domestic terrorism. It's just not being opposed to the police, wanting the police to do something differently is not terrorism.
Speaker 1: The Atlanta Solidarity Fund said of the six people charged after Saturday's protest, quote, protest, even disobedient protest, is not terrorism. It's tragic that we're at a point where this even needs to be said, but that makes it all the more important that the public speak out against this divisive and dangerous rhetoric. We have reason to believe these activists were arrested at random during the march. All six faced the same blanket charges. They are being held responsible for committing the same crime by virtue of simply being present at a protest where property damage occurred. Unquote. Twenty people have been charged with felonies under Georgia's domestic terrorism laws since last December. Police affidavits have detailed the alleged acts of so called terror, which include quote criminally trespassing on posted land, sleeping in a forest, sleeping in a hammock with another defendant being known members of a prison abolitionist movement unquote, and aligning themselves with defend the Lanta forest by quote occupying a treehouse while wearing a gas mask and camouflage clothing unquote. A review of the twenty arrests showed that none of those arrested and slapped with terrorism charges are accused of seriously injuring anyone. Nine are alleged to have committed no specific illegal acts beyond misdemeanor trespassing. Instead, mere association with a group committed to defending the forest appears to be the foundation for declaring them terrorists. The seven people arrested during the police raid where the Georgia State Patrol shot and killed Tortigita were given a bond amount totaling one hundred and seventeen thousand dollars. Escalating repression is taking form as egregious bail amounts for protesters, inflated charges, and as last month saw the killing of an activist, The environmental justice attorney Stephen Donzinger said. For weeks these people were called terrorists, which is a complete misuse of the word. The police have been conditioned to believe these people are terrorists, and what do you do with terrorists in the United States?
Speaker 9: You kill them.
Speaker 1: It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy unquote. A whole bunch of bail information has got released for the six people arrested at the protest in downtown Atlanta on Saturday, January twenty first, and it's pretty high. It's the highest bail for a protest that I've ever seen. Two people that are slightly more local to the area were granted three hundred and fifty five thousand dollars each for their bonds.
Speaker 9: That's over seven.
Speaker 1: Hundred thousand dollars with ankle monitoring and a twenty four hour curfew, so that's a lot of four Other people who were arrested were determined to be from too far out of town and deemed flight risks by the judge and they were completely denied bond. So they're going to be held in jail and perpetuity until both further legal challenges like this is going to get, you know, pushed up to a higher level judge. But who knows how long they're going to be in pre trial detention now for pretty pretty ridiculous charges like this arson riot, like felony, jaywalking essentially like pedestrian.
Speaker 15: Of them, the mesty terrorism terrorism.
Speaker 1: When they're going over the bill hearing, there was there was they were talking about how like this hearing is not for going over evidence, this is this is this isn't for Actually, yeah, they're they're not. They're not interested in dealing with what the facts actually were because there's no evidence that any of any of the people arrested did anything wrong besides march in the street, which has been a staple of the history of Atlanta for almost like almost a century. There's no absolutely no evidence but that that doesn't matter, and that's not really the point either. The point is this is a brutal form of punishment and a deterrent for other people to say that if you're going to go to a protest, if you're going to go to a march, you don't need to do anything at all, and we'll give you bond that's that's worth almost four hundred thousand dollars, poor person, or we'll just hold you until until this case gets litigated.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so if you.
Speaker 12: Want to come from out of town to just go to a march, you could do nothing else and get arrested for rest lack with a domestics and then they decide that because you're.
Speaker 16: From I don't know, an hour and a half.
Speaker 15: Away and just happen to be across the state line, that flight rest are going to be held in definitely trial, which I mean, if there's one across system that this could be we could.
Speaker 1: Be talking years, years, eighteen months before before trial. If people are wanted, right, they obviously they want people to just plead guilty and not not have go to trial, which is nonsense because there's no evidence. But if it does get carried out all the way to trial, that could take over a year. That could be just being being held for things that you clearly didn't do. But because the police and prosecutors have decided to use these intense charges as a deterrent, it's just extremely blatant, like abusive, abusive legal system, abusive power. But I mean it's you know, I say abuse, but like this is the way it's also designed, Like this is this is the purpose of prothectors, this is the purpose of police they're doing their job as it's supposed to be.
Speaker 12: They're just like make it unfeasible for people to participate in dissonance and to make it so any like any chance getting for people.
Speaker 15: It's made so.
Speaker 12: Even for most people, Like looking at an amount like three hundred and fifty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 15: It's just an impossible amount of money to come up with.
Speaker 9: It's like.
Speaker 15: It's so out of the.
Speaker 12: Realm of what is possible for so many, like normal everyday people who are participating in aunts of protest that it's just it's just design people for as lar as pass.
Speaker 9: Well, it's not.
Speaker 1: It's not even people who like this. This would be in many ways justice rrificus. Is if these charges were from people who were like in the forest, people like in a downtown marching like this is like downtown marching.
Speaker 12: Were like the most serious thing that happened was that a car spontaneously like that is it wasn't it it was there's no evidence to any of these people anyway.
Speaker 1: It was even noted inside during during these hearings that many of these people were arrested before the car even caught fire, Like.
Speaker 12: The Jurgans just decided that again they were not ready to live it bots of any kind, that this was not and making it so obvious that the point of this is not to in any way treat this with any realms like reality what happened, but just to make sure that we are that people are as punished as possible for any actions taken by a group that they were likely just even in the vicinity.
Speaker 1: Of a dantin Affidavid's for the seven people arrested at the deadly police raid on January eighteenth, in which Tortigito was killed, begin by alleging that the defendants were quote participating in actions as a part of the Defend the Atlanta Forest group, a group classified by the United States Department of Homeland Security as domestic violent extremists unquote, but a DHS spokesperson has responded to media inquiries by saying, quote, the Department of Homeland Security does not classify or designate any groups as domestic violent extremists unquote. The Atlanta Solidarity Fund responded to this news by saying, quote, when police brought terrorism charges against Stop Copcity protesters, they justified it by claiming that Defend the Atlanta Forest had been designated a domestic violent extremist organization.
Speaker 9: This was a lie.
Speaker 1: DHS has never designated any movement aligned organization in this way. What does this mean? It suggests that police and prosecutors have been lying not just to the public but to judges in an effort to justify outrageous, sensational charges against activists. This cannot be tolerated in a free society. The public has a long process ahead of unraveling the tangle of lies, distortions, and cover ups that the police, prosecutors, and their private backers have woven to suppress the right to protest. We are determined to follow that thread to its end. Injustice cannot go unchallenged. To date, the Atlanta Solidarity Fund has supported over sixty people arrested for protesting the proposed Copcity development, just a few days before the killing of Tortigita. It could happen. Here released an interview with people from the Solidarity Fund and Anti Repression Committee if you want to learn more about those organizations. The Solidarity Fund is dedicated to continue supporting protesters in Atlanta, but with the unprecedented seven hundred thousand dollars bail for just two people, they need help to continue supporting activists with bail and legal counsel, while they are also supporting civil litigation against unjust arrests and police violence, including an independent investigation into the death of Torteguita. In a statement released after the bail hearing, the Atlanta Solidarity Fund said, quote, the arrested protesters and all other future protesters targeted for political activity in Atlanta need your help. Please host fundraisers, reach out to your networks, and donate to the Atlanta Solidarity Fund. We especially encourage you to consider becoming a recurring donor. Solidarity means all of us supporting each other for the long haul, until we are all free. Unquote. If the state is successful in creating this precedent of domestic terrorism, protesters across the country could be facing similar speech chilling charges. Activists and civil rights lawyers have called for everyone to strongly reject this extreme level of repression here and now, before where it becomes the norm for activists in every movement. What happens here will have legal implications for the whole nation.
Speaker 11: It creates and it creates fear, It creates a chilling effect. It was after the December raids a lot of folks in the community. We're really questioning what was next, and it is scary to think about, but it's been really heartening how people have seen through the bullshit. Right, Atlanta has an incredible resilience, and so does this movement, even with domestic terrorism in mind.
Speaker 1: Peter also mentioned how the increased charges have inadvertently shown just how strong the community is. After domestic terrorism charges first first got laid out in December, what was people's reaction to that, because that's a pretty substantial, like legal state repression effort. You know, you're in the woods, you hear that your friends are now getting these ridiculous charges, Like, how does that change what's on the ground.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think the terrorism charges. Well, I'll say I was out of town when the terrorism charges happened, and hearing about those was actually what motivated me to come back to Atlanta and move back into the woods because I knew that the terrorism charges were a scare tactic to try and discourage people from participating in the Woods and the movement at large. As the repression has intensified, and especially since the terrorism charges started coming in, the resolve in the strength of this community has intensified. Even more, and the increased repression has shown me the strength of this community and also how deeply committed people are to being a part of this fight.
Speaker 15: No matter what.
Speaker 1: You can go to at jail Underscore support on Twitter for information on how to write two incarcerated protesters in Atlanta. The terrorism charges being brought against Stop Copcity protesters stem from a twenty seventeen law passed in Georgia in the wake of the Dylan Roof massacre. This law, allegedly created in response to a white supremacist mass shooting targeting black people, is being used for the first time as a bludgeon against anti racist protesters who are fighting against the expansion and further militarization of police facilities.
Speaker 12: Well, the state is just also as a concept as a whole is pretty much incapable of doing things for altruistic means. This is the same government that are so often used as like that completely simplifies like all issues, for example, with like foreign mashootings in this country into just a gun problem, to take away the abilities for prioritize people to defend themselves by oversimplifying it into a non ideological issue. And it's so like there's such a clear pattern of who is perpetrating these things. It's all like the state.
Speaker 15: At any moment it can grab power, it.
Speaker 12: Will do so.
Speaker 15: And that looks better sometimes because.
Speaker 16: It might be like going after somebody, like jelling a roof.
Speaker 12: But it gets turned around later and used by them to murdern you know, trying to defend the forest and make sure that people cannot make bail, and for doing nothing more than asking the city to not do something that a vast majority of people Atlanta do not want to happen.
Speaker 1: Laws that are put into effect to stop far right violence will inevitably be used to repress left wing movements. Any expansion of state power will always come down the hardest on people who are actually pushing back on the power structures of this eight, like the police. And now this domestic terrorism law is being used against force defenders for mere affiliation with stop Coop City. The way the state is using these domestic terrorism charges is relatively unprecedented within the United States, but this stuff is not completely unheard of. It's new for white Americans who are protesting. It's new in a very specific context, but it's not new for many other people who've experienced state repression and have experienced state repression in other countries around the world.
Speaker 12: You know. It's it's very similar to the way that like the US would I mean, we had a lot of a lot of people who are in the US global in thousands of people who you know, so many of them are just the US Army rules into a country and like all of these people are terrorists.
Speaker 15: They do not have time to litigate the facts.
Speaker 12: They're looking at people as flight rests with new evidence, with unsistantially that claims to bout affiliations to whatever the hell it is, and then they you know, and they most extreme examples, end up detaining Gontanimo for the next twenty years or in you know.
Speaker 15: Bringing back to the connection to all of this.
Speaker 12: To the idea, it's the similar ways that the idea of persecutes their word of the Pastinian peoples of waging a war of population and then taking as much, like using as much force against the people who choose to fight that state power, and then.
Speaker 15: Just arresting huge numbers of people for claiming that they're like affiliated with AMAS or something for litis, living in the same neighborhood and.
Speaker 16: Just throwing the Kyoa.
Speaker 15: This is very similar to tactics that we've seen used across.
Speaker 16: The word, specifically during the Global War on Terror, just.
Speaker 12: To lock up huge numbers of people with impunity, without the ability for people to get proper or legal representation, or for there ever to be a moment to litigate the facts of what happened. And it's a really troubling development to.
Speaker 15: Happening here.
Speaker 12: This has been so destructive in other countries all across the world, and we should all be extremely concerned that this is happening anywhere, not just that it's touched in the US now, but this type of legal system should find comfort anywhere in the world.
Speaker 1: One of the topics of the original It Could Happen Here series was Thucau's boomerang. The idea was also brought up during multiple conversations I had in Atlanta. It's about how the types of imperialist and colonialist violence that are done in other countries don't just go away. They get transported back to the homeland. This boomerang effect resulted in a whole series of colonial models being brought back to the quote unquote West so that it could endlessly practice something resembling colonialism or an internal colonialism on itself. The forces of extreme gentrification can be seen as one of these frontlines. In that way, it only makes sense that this is happening in Atlanta to such an extreme degree.
Speaker 12: So like the idea of like when it comes to frougos boomerang is that any any strategies, tactics, equipment.
Speaker 15: The US is the best example of really has been tactics and equipment.
Speaker 12: Thus far that are used overseas in a country's colonial wars imperial wars will one day find their way returned to the core of said empire.
Speaker 15: To subjugate their own dissidents and their own people.
Speaker 12: The best example of this in the US was milatorized police and Copsit is a huge example of this.
Speaker 15: We've seen a return of weapons and equipment from the god to US police, just asibly what we.
Speaker 3: Saw a.
Speaker 15: Man murdering and his trailer by.
Speaker 12: Small team using their vision goggles and equipment that looks like it came off of like Army Rangers in twenty fourteen. Like it is, it is a return like the tactics and the equipment and the strategy and the mindset of an occupying army come back to the center of the empire and are used to subjepeen its people. And in this case, comp City is a huge expansion of this because of what it's designed to train people to do, which is combat. And even more so, the legal system that the US has used overseas to prosecute thousands of people with their evidence is well being returned to prosecute.
Speaker 15: That it is defending the forest.
Speaker 1: The man shot by Swat in a trailer last month did end up surviving, But what Noah is talking about is that there is no true other, There is no true awayness. This new military urbanism that seems to be necessary to sustain hyper capitalist to gentrification is providing zones of experimentation through which the state is able to try out and hone their techniques of oppression. In my conversation with Cricket, they talked about this phenomenon. It comes back or it starts here and more the training ground, and then they export it. I mean, there's it's and I think you're absolutely right that there is no true other. Right like that is a construct to keep us out of solidarity with one another. That is a strategy to keep us out of alliance. At the same table and demanding more. I mean, it's something that I remember, I think it was.
Speaker 17: I think it was maybe something Buddha Edge or I don't know, some other politician talked about in the wake of twenty twenty, you know, saying like military weapons should not be used against like like should not be used in our streets or something like that. It's like, okay, but the logical extension of that is that they should be in other people's streets, like those are also civilians, Like those are also people's towns and cities and homes. Like why are we deciding that it's okay for them to be there and not here? And obviously we're not actually deciding that they're not okay to be here. But I feel like even the sort of attempts to try and address the insane militarization of the police don't rely on that other as if this is not a global issue, as if this is not something that affects everyone. The Solidarity Fund has said, quote invoking terrorism is a dog whistle calling for more police violence. Ever since nine to eleven, American policy has been to hunt and kill terrorists by any means. Applying this same terrorism label to activists in our communities, is prompting police to approach protests as war zones, prepared to kill at any time. This can be seen in the way GSP stormed the Atlanta forest with militarized equipment and killed Tortigita and God. I think there's also this tendency to think of the assassination of environmental activists as something that happens elsewhere, Like this is something that happens in Central America, this is something that happens in the Amazon, Like this is not something that happens in the US. And it absolutely is something that happens in the US. And I think, just sort of to the name of your podcast, right, like it happens here, it's not and it could be any of us. I think that that's another sort of possible strategy or idea behind this, like oh, they're outside the agitators thing of trying to create this scary, stranger danger and trying to make people think that the person who is murdered couldn't be them because they're from here, Like oh, like I'm local, Like I wouldn't have been murdered. No, Like no, absolutely not, Like they will murder with impunity and it's really scary and it's really enraging. Like I think it is both to me inspiring and because if they're going to kill us no matter what, then why not cause as much good trouble as we can.
Speaker 1: On Thursday, January twenty sixth, Governor Brian Kemp declared a state of emergency in response to protests Saturday night sparked by Tortigita's death. Under that order, one thousand National Guard troops were mobilized to quell protests and police the streets of Atlanta. Once again. I'll end with the words of Tortighita. Quote, Dear comrades, we are in the trenches of the class war. The capitalists would rather see us dead or enslaved, so we might us to fight like hell. Billionaires are causing a mass extinction and can only be stopped by collective action. Copsity can and must be stopped, but we need more help. We need people on the front lines and robust supply networks. We need to love and support each other unquote. Now that the war is here, how are we gonna fight it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 18: The rain on leaves tickling the earliest, the instruments, the melody, we mimick. It is the sound of wind whistle, And long before the safetyest chan and under the stars, camped underb canopy, she sang oh song, and she was far from silent, the virus of violence with the fragrance of her flowers that continue to invite us a medicine materials are vitamins and minerals and all that is essential, which just grew right beside us. Entice the starting fight end over the gifts that she provide us, scorching up the soil that all of us derived from. And when impious learn it came with stand bia, we returned to the land where An sets the rain dance. We have all her preaches, we still bear her features. The one and only reason all living things is breathe. And the cities deceive and leave. Go see the dirt, young, Go be among the lungs of mother Earth.
Speaker 15: Could yeah before him before shut him down. It was a forest.
Speaker 1: Music by the narcissist cookbook and propaganda.
Speaker 9: So they're now saying gb I suck my dick.
Speaker 15: GBI is a Georgia Bureau of Investigation.
Speaker 1: It could happen here as a production of Cool Zone Media.
Speaker 11: For more podcasts from Cool Zone media visitor webs say coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts, you can find sources for It could happen here, Updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com slash sources.
Speaker 9: Thanks for listening.