Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning. This is Laura, Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome and any advice they have for the rest of us. So today I am excited to welcome Jenny Mars to Before Breakfast. Jenny is the co host of the show Fixed to Fabulous. She is also the author of the brand new book Trust God, Love People. Jenny, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, excited to have you here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So why don't you tell our listeners a little bit about yourself?
Speaker 2: Okay, I live in Bentonville, Arkansas, originally from Florida, but I've been here for twenty years, so this is home. I have five kids, ranging in age from fifteen to six. I think you have five kids too, don't I do? Eighteen to five? So we're sort of, you know, overlapping a big shop. Yes, you have the same, the little one that's like keeping us young. Yes, I love that, okay. And we live on a farm. We have animals, we have a nonprofit blueberry farm where families come and pick blueberries in the summer and we donate the proceeds from that blueberry farm. And we have a trade school for orphaned and vulnerable teens in Zimbabwe. One of our daughters is I was originally born in the Congo. She was adopted and we through the you know, God connections, we were working in the Congo, and then we had friends in Zimbabwe and so this whole it's a long story, but we're now working in Zimbabwe and the Congo actually as well. Let's see, I have my husband and I have been building and remodeling homes here in our area and well, he started in two thousand and four. I joined him full time in two thousand and eleven, twenty twelve, and we had HDTV approach es in twenty and sixteen, I think, and so we've been We reluctantly said yes. We didn't really know about doing a show. We're like, that's kind of crazy, we don't know if we want to do that, but we felt like it was something that God was asking us to do and he would use in some way. We didn't really know why or how, but we just trusted that he would, and now here we are. We're now currently filming season seven. Our show is called Fixer to Fabulous and we renovate homes in our town. And yeah, it's been a wild journey and we just are, you know, plugging along. We just do life like everybody else. It's mass chaos right now, summer break and it's complete chaos in our house, and we sometimes have cameras following us around, but otherwise we're just normally going to work and doing life.
Speaker 1: Writing HGTV host wasn't on your list of things you wanted to be when you were growing.
Speaker 2: Up, No, not at all. I did actually want to always. I always wanted to be a writer and an author, and so I've always been and I've always been very creative. I was in advertising, and that was my original path that I thought advertising, public relations and along there because I liked writing, have always loved photography, and design just sort of happened because my husband, I didn't study it. My husband was a builder. He grew up his dad was a builder, and he went into corporate America because he didn't want to do what his dad did. And then that's actually when we met out right after college and then he decided, no, I really don't like corporate America. I need to be doing something with my hands and build, and so we moved here. He started building homes and I just helped him because he can build really, really well and build pretty much anything. He's incredible. He's incredible craftsman. But he doesn't really care about things like paint, colors and countertops and you know, the pretty details that I really care about, So I would just help them. On the side. I had the full time job and then eventually quit my job, and we did build the business together. But no, never had that. I never even thought this would be my job, much less have cameras following us either. So yeah, definitely not on my radar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we'll talk about the cameras in a minute, for sure. But your new book I actually want to talk with you about is trust, God, love people. A lot of it is about waiting for various things. Yeah, and this is obviously a show about time. Is a time management show, and waiting is one of those awkward topics in the field of time management, and particularly your book is about, you know, waiting for things with uncertain timelines, particularly about like growing your family.
Speaker 2: Can you a little bit about that. Yes, I know, it's it's it was fun to write about now, you know, with it in the rear view mirror, but it's not fun when you're living in that season of uncertainty at all. Yeah. So, I mean went through a lot of uncertainty first trying to have a family, trying to you know, start our family. Then I had our twins, which that's a whole long story, but then we started our adoption process and that was another very tumultuous time. Basically what happened was we started the process before I got pregnant with the twins, got pregnant with the twins, restarted our process, and then we had this little girl come to I mean, we just got I got an email from a waiting child website that I had been I'd been receiving these emails for years at this point. And it wasn't that I was like, oh, you know every wild oh that's my you know, that's my child. But this one was we knew when we saw her face, it was we knew something was you know, we were stirred and thinking this could be our daughter. And so it was very we had to switch everything, We had to actually we were in the program for Ethiopia, and we found out she was in the Congo with a different agency, so we basically had to start over once we decided to pursue her adoption. But when we started that process again with her, we thought, okay, it'll probably take based on timelines and based on how long everything takes, because everything does take a long time and there's a lot of work things and all of that. We thought about nine months would be the full timeline we would have her home, and everything just kept getting delayed and getting delayed. But once we finally had her adoption finalized, we had her US visa, we were officially her adoptive pearance, and we visited her for the first time in person after that because we didn't want to meet her to meet us until we knew this was legal and we were because it was all very uncertain up until that point if it was even going to happen. And when we left there that was in August, and we thought we'd be back in about a month to come back and then bring her home, and right after we left, the country shut down adoption, letting adoptive kids leave the country. Still to this day, I don't really know all of the ins and outs. There's a lot of political stuff happening that we didn't know about or why. But it then took us another about year and a half to get our home, and so that I think was that period was probably the hardest because we had seen where she was living and in the condition she was living in, and she was sick a lot. She wasn't being fed very often, and we got her moved to a foster home. But it was still very hard because we never knew Sorry, I think that's my dog, Will you let Jack out? Sorry you heard a noise in the background. I'm so sorry. Okay, So we never knew, you know, if she was okay. Every day we would I would wake up in the morning and check. I'm like, did we get any news house Sylvie? And you know, she was in and out of the hospital a lot, and so just trying to just that weight was awful. My husband ended up flying back and forth several times. I ended I actually I was pregnant with our daughter, our youngest daughter, Charlotte. I had no you know, that was a total surprise. And so then I couldn't go back because I couldn't travel because I had a high risk pregnancy, and so Dave was going back and forth and we facetimed her all the time. But we got to a point where we really didn't know if she was going to be able to come home ever, and so we were starting to set up okay, continue plans. Can she live full time with her foster parents and we'll pay for her to go to school and all those things. So yeah, in that period, I mean we really just were It was very uncertain, and it was very hard because again we didn't have an end time and sight. It wasn't like we have this timeline and this is what's going to happen. It was literally day to day just praying and begging God and begging every person we could and that I mean anybody that would possibly have any connections that could help us. We were just constantly advocating and trying to get her home just because we wanted her to. I mean, we wanted her home. There was an ache in our family because we were waiting for her. But then also we didn't know if she was safe, or eating or any of those things. So it was that was probably Yeah, that was a very difficult time. But at the same time God taught us like I look back on that period and all the things that happened in our lives and what He was preparing us for and the way, you know, I talked about a blueberry farm, but the way He orchestrated relationships during that period so that we became very deeply connected with so many people. We have deep friendships and relationships with families in the Congo and in Zimbabwe and in South Africa because of that waiting period. So there was a lot of good that came out of it, and I wouldn't have known that at the time. I was just.
Speaker 1: Absolutely waiting for something that is uncertain, and you have to hold the end point in your mind that there will be something an outcome of this. We just have no idea of the tuneyline.
Speaker 2: So yeah, all right, We're going to take.
Speaker 1: A quick ad break and then I will be back with more from Jenny Mars. Well, I am back talking with Jenny mars who is the co host a Fixer to Fabulous on HDTV. It is also the author of the brand new book Trust God, Love People. I was practicing before and I kept mixing that up Love God, Trust People.
Speaker 2: I guess we can do both.
Speaker 1: So let's talk a little bit about though, you know, your work with with HGTV here, because I know a lot of listeners will be fascinated this, and I, Jenny, I can tell you I recently renovated a historic home that I'm living in now, and it was a sixteen month process. Yes, each meeting with the Historic Commission is longer than an episode of Fixer of Fabulous. So maybe you can talk a little bit about the difference between renovating for television and how renovating normally works.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I will say there's on average, for each episode, we film about one hundred and twenty hours worth of footage and then they have to edit it down to a forty two minute episode. So there is a lot that happens that is not included. Because when you see the you know, there's always a section where it's like they're playing music and there's all we call you know, the b roll of the work happening like that is not happening in a day. That is happening over a lot of long period of time. Even still, I think, you know, when we're renovating a home, our own home or for clients outside of the show. Yes, it typically takes at least a year, and Historic Home is going to take longer even you know, two years is very reasonable for a big restoration project. But for the show, we have to film you know, sixteen twelve to sixteen episodes in we pretty much are filming year round. It takes us about a year to film the whole season. So there's twelve to sixteen houses depending on the season, usually sixteen that we're renovating in that period of time. So it's usually about ten to twelve weeks for a house renovation. So it's definitely different. It's very different. Everything has to and it took us a long time to really figure it out. Honestly. The first season, well the pilot episode was insane because we we renovated a historic home in I think it was five weeks and we just had the one and we were like, this is this is the hardest thing we've ever done. Like it's insane. And so when we started season one, we realized we've got to We've got to figure this out. How can we possibly do multiple houses? Like this is just crazy. So now that we're doing this sistar seventh year, we kind of have a better handle on it. But like right now, we're run. We have eight houses going right now, so and we're actually starting another one on Monday, so we'll have but we're revealing another one on Tuesday, so we'll go we'll start one close one, so we'll have eight again. And so it's just kind of this like rolling and so you have the house construction, but then you have the production schedule, and so you have to make sure when things are important things are happening, that we have cameras there or else it's a problem, right, Like wait, the cameras show back up and there was no staircase, and then there's a staircase, and we never showed the staircase being built. So we've learned. We've had to learn like you have to wait on certain things. And that was really hard for my husband as the contractor, because he's like, I'm hiring these guys, I'm paying for my guys to be here, I'm paying them by the hour, and I have to tell them to just wait because we need to film something, you know. So it was a process to figure out how we finish the house and actually how we make the show because the show is more telling a story, which I love. I love that part of it. It's the logistics that are really challenging. And even from my perspective, I'm ordering and choosing all them materials typically before we even start the house, before we even begin demo, so everything has to be there because we have to just it's it's so fast and once it starts, it's like a fast moving train down a mountain and you're just clinging on. So a lot of times, you know, things will show up and they're broken, or once we get into it, we change. You know, as you know, you renovated a historic home, things never go to plan, so you always have to pivot and problem solve. And you know, we had this plan, but then we got into it and this this everything changed and so now all of the lights, for example, that I ordered no longer work, you know, and you have to just pivot and find something that you can Like a lot of times we'll dig out things from our barn of like, oh wait, I have this light, we can use this. It's a lot of problem solving more so, not even problem solving, I would say, it's a lot of putting out fires more so than a traditional renovation where you have the time to process and choose as you go and make changes. And you know, it's from my perspective, it's just constant putting out fires and constantly just like okay, all right, well okay, that's not going to work. Let's do this, and you just have to sort of go with it. But from home owner perspective, they get to literally walk away from the house. So it works for certain personalities and for other people like for me, I couldn't do it, definitely, but it works great for people that don't want to have to make all those decisions. They want to say, here, you guys, figure it out, I'll be back in eight weeks. And that's truly what happens. They sign a contract that says they will not come back to the house, so it really is a surprise, and they come back and it's done, and they get a house renovated. Like you said, you know, typically you're waiting a year and a half two years for a house to be renovated. They get it done in two months, so it's amazing. Yeah, so there's a lot of benefits, but it's also they really do turn over control. I mean, we have a lot of meetings behind the scenes where I find out. Okay, what do you like? What do you do you like? You know, I get there's a lot of stuff that happens in the pre planning, so that because it is their house, we're not doing stuff that you know, we think is just cool for TV that they wouldn't really like, you know, so we have to make sure. But it is different because typically when you're working with a client, you're walking through the process together and you're choosing things together and you're making choices. We're this it's like I just I have to make all the choice. I get their information and then I just make the choices. Fascinating. Yeah, it's different. It's good. Yeah, but I know what lights you're going to wind up with.
Speaker 1: But there will be lights, so that's good. So I mean you've got this going on, you know, this this business that is all sorts of moving parts. You also have five kids, as we mentioned, How do you organize your schedule? I mean, do you have like a planning time where you sit down and do it? I mean, what's how does that work?
Speaker 2: Oh? Gosh, it's cal I would say, Okay, are there's some order to it?
Speaker 1: Because at the time pods.
Speaker 2: I survived day to day, I always say, but I do sit down. So I sit down at the beginning of the month, and I'm very much like I like to write. I have my you know, my calendar on my phone, but I have I have it right here, I have it everywhere I go. My little is just the most simple thing. But I have my written calendar that I can see the whole month, and then I put details. I have another planner where I put the details, but I like to be able to see it. So I sit down at the beginning of the month and just sort of map out the month, and then backing up when we get our production schedule, which is typically in February for the year, I go through and mark production like filming days, because that's important for all the planning of all the other things. But then each Sunday, you know, especially during the school year, because the kid's schedule is a full time job managing that. So on Sunday, excuse me, I sit down and map out, Okay, here's where everyone has to be and just what the week looks like in more detail. But there is definitely day to day planning, monthly planning, yearly planning. But it's also feels like because of production. Sometimes things get like there's just a like my planner gets thrown into a fire pit and blown up. Sometimes like I had a great plan and now it's what is happening?
Speaker 1: So absolutely all right, Well we're going to take one more quick ad break and then I'll be back with more from Jenny Bars. So I am back talking with Jenny Bars, who's co host of the show Fixer to Fabulous. She's also the author of the brand new book Trust God, Love People. So I know every day must be different with your life, but I'm curious if you have any routines that you rely on, either to stay sane or to make you more productive.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So when we're so we're filming, we usually do a week, so like we're filming this coming week, but last week we weren't. So on the non filming weeks they look very different than the filming weeks. Non filming weeks or the time that we actually get caught up on all the work and the things. When I wrote my book, so for example, when I was writing my book, I had writing days that I put into my calendar and communicated that with everyone that those are days that I'm not available at least for the first half of the day, I typically had like get the kids to school, and then I would hap until about noon was just dedicated writing time, and I turned my phone off. I just everyone knew you cannot get in touch with me unless it's an actual emergency, and that was I had to do that, or else I never would have been able to write this book. Ever, so certain things like that, or on Fridays are typically my day to do these kinds of things like podcasts and schedule calls. I have another Zoom call right after this, and then it's also my day to like try to catch up on emails because my job is weird in that I'm never at my desk or at my at my computer. So Fridays I always have is kind of like an office day catch up day. But again it looks different because we're finishing a house next week, so this afternoon I'm heading to the house to finish getting it ready, so I'm not just sitting at my computer all day. Even though I would love a day to just catch up, I never really have that. But during the week when we're filming, especially, it's just a lot of running around because we're checking in on projects, so I have my phone on me, but then there's always you know, those emails that come through that you're like, oh, I need to sit down and like actually respond to this. I can't just do a quick one off, and so my inbox is typically like overloaded, and then I try to catch up on frit so I don't know it's it's not it's not great. And I also am like, well, I guess if it's really important and I miss it, they'll ask me again. That's what I do.
Speaker 1: I'll get it the next Friday for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Jenny, I always ask my guests the question of what is something you have done recently to take a day from great to awesome?
Speaker 2: Oh ah, that's interesting, hmm. I mean I think for me anytime, no matter how crazy the day is, I always I think the one thing that keeps me sane. I don't know if this could help other working moms too, is that when I am home, And again, I work from home a lot, so sometimes I'm home but I'm not really available, like right now my kids have to go. I had this sitter come and get them because I'm like, I have to record this. So I'm home, but i'm not not working. But when I'm home and i'm not working and I really have even if it's the middle of the day and I do have an hour, I shut it down and I just tried to be present and I was. Just the other night, we got home from a really long day of getting this house ready. So when we're about to reveal a house, we have typically two to three days to get everything ready, which is if you think about moving into your home and imagine having everything done in three days, it's a lot. You've all the little details. So it was a long day and I got home and it was a good day though, because it's a fun, creative day. It's just hard. It's exhausting. But I got home and the kids were outside and I was like, let's go out in the pasture. And we have animals. We have sheep. We just got this new cow that is her name's Minnie, and she's so cute. She's not a miniature cow, but she just didn't grow. And so one of the cattle ranchers in the area had called my husband because he knew we'd just taken all the animals, and he's like, I can't afford this. I can't keep the her because he's actually that's his job as a cattle rancher, and he's like, she's too little. So now we have this little miniature cow, and she was really scared, and so it's become our goal to make her like us and to be friendly. And so the other day we went back out there and we had treats, my kids and I and Minnie. The cow walked up to us and ate from our hands and it was like you would have thought we had just like won the Olympics, because we were so excited and we're like, oh my gosh, and we're making progress, and it was just such a great, sweet, amazing moment and accomplishment because we've been working with her every day and I don't know, it was just like we were so excited and it's silly because it's a cow, but it felt like a huge win. And it really was fun to watch my kids see, you know, feel that sense of pride and accomplishment and also the way that they are so compassionate towards animals, and so yeah, I don't know that really was a long winded answer, but yeah, spending time in the pastor with my kids just being really intentional. Even if it's just, you know, one hour together in the afternoon, it was really sweet. So yeah, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: I'm picturing this. Miniature cows not something I make sure my kids do not listen to this because we will not be getting miniature cows.
Speaker 2: But Tony, this has been great. Where can people find you? Okay? So I really am only good at Instagram. I don't I can't keep up with everything out So Jenny Mars is my Instagram and that's where I'm pretty active. And then Jenny Mars dot com is my website. So easy, awesome, wonderful.
Speaker 1: Well, Tenny, thank you so much for joining us. Thank you to everyone for listening. If you have feedback about this or any other episode, you could always reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com.
Speaker 2: And in the meantime, this is Laura.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.