Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with m bar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 7: It is Wednesday, April twenty fourth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number four. It's a lot of twenties and fours in here.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Break.
Speaker 7: We are presented by LG and today we're getting you ready for the NFL Draft.
Speaker 4: It takes place.
Speaker 7: It starts tomorrow, Round one, tomorrow, Round two and three on Friday, and then the remainder of the rounds on Saturday will have wald all coverage. Brian will be a part of that, Patrick will be a part of that. Amber will be a part of that.
Speaker 4: Everybody.
Speaker 7: It's all hands on deck to cover the draft. We hope you will join us for that. But today I want to start first by talking a little bit about the press conference that happened yesterday. Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, and Mike McCarthy all took some time with the media to answer questions, and it felt a little less about draft and a little more about team building one oh one and salary caps and everything else. But I want to first go around the room and just get general thoughts on what you heard from press conference, any particular things that stood out to you that you thought that you thought were particularly interesting.
Speaker 4: Briant's start start with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, again, this is my opinion coming from one O five to three, the fan from the outside of it in you know, I did the work here with you guys, But I felt like this is the first time Stephen Jones doesn't like to talk about contracts generally. He pointed the finger yesterday at the agent community a little bit on some of these contracts. And I mean this in a way that you know, when he was talking about, hey, these guys talk. These guys, you know, they have ideas, they know numbers and all that.
Speaker 2: You see.
Speaker 5: The Cowboys are a team like, hey, we're not going to comment about that. We're not going to combat I sent some frustration with Stephen Jones yesterday and the fact that he feels like that some of these agents again their ability to talk to each other and then maybe holding up deals. We always, I know, on our end of it, give the Cowboys a lot agree for what happens with some of these contracts. It's a two way street. My experience of working in the National Football League is you have to have people that are willing to make deals with you if you're going to do this. But a lot of us blame the Cowboys for not doing deals, and to me, I sensed frustration from Stephen Jones, which I'd never had before. But I felt like he pointed the finger at the agent community a little bit yesterday and said, listen, we'll do deals. It's going to be the right number, but we'll do deals. And so you know, and I think he's right. I think the first time, and this is my opinion, that the first time they did the Dak Prescott deal, you had an agent that was switching from one agency to another. He was not going to put new money with an old agency, and I think that's why you got held up on a deal. I think agents are holding up on deals now. We saw a big deal today for a wide receiver, which is good. The Lions got their deal done with Saint Brown. Good for them, but you have to have people that are willing to talk to you and willing to negotiate along the way. I sense frustration from Stephen Jones on that front.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there was definitely some frustration and a little bit of defensiveness from both Steven and Jerry as far as the team building, the questions that they were kind of violding back and forth, and it seems like it's a situation where if you go back and you look at last summer, you look at what they were able to do with Trevon Diggs and getting that deal done early, right, that's ideally with the Cowboys and how they would like to handle their cornerstone players.
Speaker 6: But it's a two way street.
Speaker 8: As Bran's saying, the agents, the representation for these players, they have to agree with the numbers that you're presenting. You have to agree with the numbers they're presenting. And then it's bigger than numbers. It's how how's the money breaking down, what's the term, et cetera, et cetera. So clearly there's some frustration there. It seems as if there're some frustrated with where they are in the cap as well, Jerry saying something like we we're embracing not having cap space. Obviously, that's not gonna go over well with fans because the fans are looking around the league. They're looking at teams like the Philadelphia Eagles and Howie Roseman. They're looking at what the Rams were able to do, you know, in the years preceding what ultimately turned out to be a Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Then picks right and push the cap all right.
Speaker 8: They want to see the Cowboys be that kind of aggressive and finesse and massage the salary cap in those capacities. But Steven said, you know, the Cowboys, they're focused on making this draft one of the best ones ever.
Speaker 6: And now you don't really have a choice.
Speaker 8: That's that's kind of where you are because it has to be your defacto free agency. So biggest takeaway for me for me is that the Cowboys are frustrated that they don't have these deals done on at least one of their cornerstone players of the Big Three Micah, which is has a little bit more time, but CD and Dak you want those done right now. But interesting and interestingly enough, when I positioned the question in front of Jerry, Steven and Mike regarding the possibility of drafting a quarterback. If there's a premier quarterback steering you in the face at twenty four, you have uncertainty with Dak Prescott going forward. You have uncertainty with Trey Lance going forward. If it's steering you in the face, what do you do? And hence Jerry's reply, we want Dak Prescott And that was one of the more definitive statements that Jerry said on yesterday, and we'll get to that.
Speaker 7: I did have one question for you when you were talking about kind of how they've constructed the team. I kind of took the impression, or got the impression that what Jerry was saying was we've spent the last three four years being what they now. We can all question whether it really is aggressive, but they think over the last three or four years, they think that's been the period when they have been aggressive and they have surrounded Dak with premier talent and had one of the best rosters in the league.
Speaker 4: And now it's time to pay that bill.
Speaker 7: Like he kept going back to, hey, it's that credit card, like we've been paying, Yeah, we've been paying on that credit card roll and didn't work right. Exactly, That's exactly that it sounded to me was that essentially they were going these last several years, they've been pushing and we know every year we get to Austin and they'd be like, restructure this guy, restructured this guy.
Speaker 4: And it's not they were just trying.
Speaker 7: They were trying to hold it all together and give themselves a little more chance and keep that roster together. And now they're gonna have to embrace the fact that they don't have that flexibility anymore because the rules of NFL don't allow them to have that flexibilitynymore. And they got to pay the bill.
Speaker 8: It's not how you took it, that is how I took it. But it's two things are true. That's true, the bill will always come due. It's also true that there are levels of footness when it comes to the salary cap that I feel like the Cowboys could slightly improve upon. We talk about teams like the Eagles of the Rams. There are teams the New Orleans Saints in the Drew Brees era. There are teams that have shown that they're operating within the same rules, the same parameters that Jerry Jones and the Cowboys mentioned yesterday so vehemently.
Speaker 7: They've done that though, I guess is the question because the way I understand it, that day is coming from for the Eagles here in the next one, two three years. There's but and again we'll see, and I've said this on Twitter, Will hear Will we will see.
Speaker 2: Whether it gets the waiting.
Speaker 7: But that's where I look at it, and I'm like, if if I do know what happened for the Rams, and the Rams have to reset, and we saw that happen, but they want a championship and effectively, yeah, and they did a nice reset, but they also they did it with the draft. After they said f and picks, right, they figured out how to do it with the draft. They get a guy like pooking the coup and now they're back in the playoffs and ready to run.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 7: But but I think I think teams do have to go through this reset. It's a matter of how effectively they go through the reset when they get to this point where the bill comes due, because I think the bill does come to But it's also.
Speaker 6: The timing of the reset.
Speaker 8: So if you look at it contextually, for the Cowboys, look at the timing in which this reset is occurring. You are a head coach on this final year that you've not extended a quarterback of GB one, MVP front run under all pro record setter, final year of his deal not extended, Ceedee Lamb, arguably the best wide receiver in the league. You want to get him extended, Michael Parson's generational talent. The list goes on and on the timing of such a reset. It's working against them. But what also makes it that much worse. And we talked about this, and we talked about it offline all the time, and this is why they've been defending this statement. And Jerry kind of trolled everyone a bit with the statement all in the fact that Jerry said all in at the Senior Bowl, and he did playfully troll everyone by saying that again if he didn't attach that label to this offseason, only to find out that this offseason was going to be.
Speaker 6: The antithesis of that.
Speaker 8: That's what makes it that much more difficult for fans to try to compute what's the vision here, because you're right, this is likely a soft reset, maybe not a hard reset, but.
Speaker 4: They're not getting rid of all their parts, but it is somewhat, but the.
Speaker 6: Timing of it is just very, very bad.
Speaker 5: I think the thing that they're really they won't admit it, but they're pissed off that some of these contras didn't work out for him. I think that's the thing that's bothered them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I think if if you if.
Speaker 5: You had you pulled Steven aside and you had a scotch with him, the one thing if he said can you do something over he said, yeah, maybe some of these contracts I wouldn't have gone the.
Speaker 2: Way I did.
Speaker 5: You know that that didn't work out that And and Jerry, I think, brought it up about the money with Zeke and how it prevents you from signing Tyrant Smith. You know that maybe maybe some of these bad contracts that they Yeah, exactly, Zach Martin and we're at training camp. Were all sitting there and it's oh, it's day twenty six of Zach Martin holding out.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, oh look out, yeah, you're about to get hit the ball.
Speaker 5: But but see, that's that's to me where I think that the fact that the bills come due, they're frustrated with the agent community, and that they're also in a situation where they made some bad deals. And I think that's the one thing that pisses them off. They they've made a bunch of bad deals in their life their business man. They've also made some great ones too. But I think if you, if you pulled them aside, they would say, if we had to do something over there are probably two or three incidents that they would look at and say, we would be better, we'd be in better shape if we just had done this. Our plan was this, but it wasn't good enough.
Speaker 9: See for me, it's easy. And if you guys, those who have not listened to the press conference, I highly suggest it because, like you guys mentioned, it's something different, very different than what we are used to watching and hearing from those guys Jerry Jones, Stephen jones E, and Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 2: So it was barely Jerry drugg him in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm good, Jerry made.
Speaker 2: Jerry made him an offensive line expert.
Speaker 9: What I was gonna say, so to me, And I've been one of those, and I'm not a cap expert, don't care to be one. It's very because so many different factors of it. It's so complicated.
Speaker 2: But I was one of.
Speaker 9: Those sitting on this show with you guys several months ago of like, Okay, why they have the ability or that they can restructor X, Y and Z, and they haven't, And it's easy to judge that way. And sure, maybe there are some contracts that is like, okay, they didn't pan out. And I highly, highly truly believe that they missed their chance last year. That was the year where they had everything needed to get.
Speaker 4: And they missed it in a way that was so.
Speaker 9: Just exactly so where I'm trying to get at. Once you start peeling all the layers and laying everything out, all the contracts and everything, and you start going through it and really analyzing everything, you start giving them some grace and thinking, okay, well crap, like you really you're really tied. You cannot do anything because it's not a one year it's not this year thing. You have to look at next year, the following year. You have to look even sometimes four years out to where things and the money is affecting you. So even though I don't know all the disclosures in contracts and all of that, it's not as simple. It's not as simple as because I've been there myself getting upset and being like why you see other teams doing this and that. But I do know this, Jerry Jones, he's a great businessman, so I know he has great people that know how to handle money and distribute and all of that. So I know there's a history there of people that are actually very very knowledgeable on the job and how to move money around. So anyways, the point is they had their chance. They're all in was last year, and then now they're just having to pay all the receipts.
Speaker 2: This is Jerry even said it.
Speaker 5: It's like you have your bank account, but you know, you have all these bills, and now you're giving plasma so you can get ten bucks so you can eat dinner that night. You know, you know your bank account looks really good, and then all of a sudden you realize you've got a month's where the bill's coming up. I think they're to the point now, and maybe it's maybe it's going to be sacrificed in the quarterback here. Maybe it is. I'm just I'm just saying they're looking at it. I think that we can't kick the can any further down the road.
Speaker 2: We can't.
Speaker 5: We've kicked it as far as we can as a group. We agreed last year was their best opportunity. Now you have to pay the bill. We've all had a great dinner, you know, we're all we're all liquored up and ready to go home, you know. But somebody's got to pay the bill. And now they're having to pay that bill. And they, yeah, do they have the money, do they have the switches? Sure they can't. I think they're to the point that they've made the decision like we've kicked this can as far as we can. We can't do it anymore. And so that's why I think they're in the position from there in right.
Speaker 8: Now, I was going to say, here's here's because I like to put on different hats to look at things from different angles. So from a Jerry Jones Stephen Jones' perspective, salary cap, yes, they don't want to kick the can. They can restructures digs and Malik Hooker and it can happen, but they don't want to because that bill is the bill. But then put on Mike McCarthy's head. Now, he will never show this visibly, and he might not even it might not even be an internal thought for him. But if I'm Mike McCarthy and I know that I only have this final year to prove myself what you're basically asking me to do, which is fine because I'm up to the task. But the reality is the reality is that you're asking me to deliver you at a super Bowl esque.
Speaker 6: Run with a lot of young talent.
Speaker 8: Well that you're asking to step up, which you will include a class full of rookies.
Speaker 5: But you but you know, last year, I gave you a team with all these pro bowlers and so you know what, Mike McCarthy, really, honestly, and I'm not saying this to be mean, he doesn't have a leg to stand on right now. If you look at the way we're talking right now, if you look at last year as the all in best chance as as an organization, they didn't deliver. And he's he's at the top of that, the general managers at the top of the list, but then the head coach is the next. So Mike McCarthy, as he looks at this, he's now going to have to play the hand he's dealt. He had a winning hand, He had a winning hand at the table, and but they drew the dealer drew a straight flush on him or something, you know, I mean, cards you know how that goes. He had the hand to win, they didn't deliver, and now he's got to look at this and say, I had my chance.
Speaker 2: If they move on, you know, I don't like it, but I understand.
Speaker 7: But I think also I'm growing a little tired of the conversation that paints the picture that the Cowboys are. Now this team that has no talent like.
Speaker 2: That is, they'll never be bad.
Speaker 7: They when you say, when you say, well, he's kind of dealt his hand with the team, I look at it. I really saw this and it was interesting. It was on one O five dot three the Fan the other morning. I heard Sean and r J and Bobby. They were citing an article where this this rider had done used artificial intelligence to be able to identify the rosters and rate the rosters a crown in the NFL.
Speaker 4: You want to know a Dallas fell in that number seven, number seven, And.
Speaker 7: I'm like, okay, so yes, it's not as good a roster as last year because it lost a lot of its depth. One thing we know about this scene is they tend to draft pretty well, so they'll.
Speaker 2: Replenish some of them. They will never be bad for that reason.
Speaker 4: They will of that. Maybe they won't get it all back, but they'll replenish some of that.
Speaker 7: This is still a good enough roster to go where you want to go this next year. Now, who knows what it'll be beyond that, Because again I look at it, when people start saying they have all these levers they can pull, it's like a person that's now falling into well, they're already in a hole and you're throwing them a shovel instead of a rope, like if you Yeah, they can push these levers, but pushing these revers stuff is just going to worsen the problem, is going to put them farther down in that hole.
Speaker 4: I agree, It just doesn't solve the problem.
Speaker 7: So it's not really a solution to say you can push these you can pull these levers and restructure these guys and push the money down the road. You really don't have that flexibility anymore. It's best to say, let me pay my bill, let me get out of debt, let me be fiscally responsible, and then I can restart and say, Okay, now I can get aggressive again. I got my money back to where I need to have it right now I can get aggressive again.
Speaker 4: I think that's how you have to.
Speaker 5: I just never feel like I feel like this team will always be in this I don't mean this is a slam to Jason Garrett. They'll always be an eight and eight team. As long as they let these guys.
Speaker 4: Drafty, they will figure this out.
Speaker 5: They will find a quarterback, they will find talent around as long as they let them pick players, you know, give them compensatories, let them assign you to undrafted free agents, maybe dabble in the free agent market a little bit if they can. They're just too good at personnel here, you know, they really are. They know they'll never be that now. They'll lose players, but they will find ways to replace these guys.
Speaker 8: And let's be clear because and I'm on the record of saying this, but let's be clear for those that are listening.
Speaker 6: I believe the Cowboys have plenty of talent. Right. So if you go back to the statement, it's youth.
Speaker 8: So if I'm putting on the McCarthy had, it's not that I'm concerned about the talent. It's the youth and that lack of experience and a lot of unproven guys. Look at your running backs room, for example, before you enter this draft, it's a lot of unproven experience, and you're looking at these unproven guys and saying, you have to take us to a super Bowl. You have to help us go to a super Bowl. Now, of course, again, as a coach, particularly a guy's competitive is Mike McCarthy, you're taking that challenge on head on. And I love what you said, and that doesn't really have a leg stand on. And to that point though, combining with what you said, yes, the Cowboys have a lot of talent on this roster, but they hemorrhaged talent and talent and free agency. So if their best shot in recent memory, like you said, was this past January and that fell short with that roster, and to your own admission, the current roster as we have this conversation is less talented, still talented, but less talented than the roster that failed in January. Now you can see where fans get concern.
Speaker 5: But that's where Sam Williams and Tolbert and these guys as Tolbert is is Tolbert needs to play better because Michael Gallup's gone, you know, and all those edge rushers are now gone, Armstrong Fowler, Sam Williams you need to step up and play better. You know, Junior Forjoco, they drafted you for a reason. You know, you have to figure out a way. Mozzie Smith, you got to figure this thing out, you know. So to me, they the talent. The talent we talk about young talent. They've got talented football players. The problem is they've got to play like talented football players.
Speaker 7: And you ain't always a problem. Look at the Green Bay Packers, look at the Houston Texas from last year. Both rosters were just litany of young guys who were just getting into the NFL and figuring.
Speaker 4: It out and got the opportunity.
Speaker 7: So if we trust the fact that they can draft, well, then trust these guys to get out there and play and let's see what they can do when you give them that responsibility.
Speaker 2: You're about to see that absolutely.
Speaker 7: And by the way, I want to see I want to see some guys that they that they mentioned, like a Sam william We're gonna get into some of this a little bit late.
Speaker 4: We're gonna take a.
Speaker 7: Break, but I want to see a guy like a Sam Williams, if you give him more opportunity, what does he do with it?
Speaker 4: Because maybe we don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just but it's true. Like there's all these for or that you used to take. I take a lot of it.
Speaker 4: You don't use it all, use it all.
Speaker 5: I lost it all in a press box and Dallas, and I hope he went right out the way.
Speaker 4: All right, we're gonna take our first bake. We're gonna come back.
Speaker 7: We're gonna dive into the actual draft a little bit more. Talk about the defensive side of the ball, some areas where we think the Cowboys may need some help, and maybe get some names of some guys that you should be aware of heading into the draft tomorrow. Well that when we come back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has a T and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her backpack with the beef stew at and T five G fast reliable, secure, it's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible planing device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 12: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 2: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 8: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy cheering on the boys, and now he's on his phone on his.
Speaker 6: Bank of America Mobile Banking app.
Speaker 12: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica.
Speaker 8: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com Slash Can't Stop Banking Everica.
Speaker 2: It's only available in the English language.
Speaker 12: You must download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on select mobile devices.
Speaker 4: Message dat raigsy apply a number fdbic.
Speaker 3: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Dodtor pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would.
Speaker 7: You, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 11: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 3: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being the soldier?
Speaker 1: To cry?
Speaker 7: Out.
Speaker 3: Okay, this one's easy. I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper and says thanks, good. Better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 13: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and.
Speaker 2: Off the field.
Speaker 13: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 2: Back to the.
Speaker 5: Break the eleventh Annuel Reliant, Homer and Derbys back at ryders Field and Frisco on May first at six pm. Come see your favorite Dallas Cowboys player swing for the Fences to raise money for the Salvation Army. At Mission and parking are free. Visit Dallascowboys dot com, slash RelA h r D to learn more.
Speaker 7: See you there, Welcome back, second segment of the break Life in SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. We're presented by LG and this segment is brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, let's talk about the defensive side of the ball heading into the draft. Got a simple question for you guys, which would you think of these three areas is the biggest area that Dallas needs to focus on in the draft this year? Defensive tackle, defensive end or linebacker?
Speaker 14: Jump in Garcia, what do you think defensive tackle, defensive end, or a linebacker.
Speaker 9: That's a tough question because I have my doubts on defensive tackle and linebacker. Okay, right now, I think I trust a little bit more the linebacker position than the defensive tackle. And that says a lot because you got the Marvin Overshan coming back from an injury, highly unknown. He's only played, you know, in the preseason, and that's it. Then you got you do have the veteran that you sign and there's some experience there. Yeah, he.
Speaker 2: His age. I don't know.
Speaker 9: I'm still like I'm wanting to see even though we've talked about him and all of that, but he he has the experience with Mike Zimmer and all of that that he brings in. But going back to defensive tackle, and I get it, Massy Smith. I trust the evaluation and the reason that he got drafted in the first round and everything, but right now, nothing that I saw last year. And that this doesn't mean that I'm giving up on him at all whatsoever. This is his second year and I'm excited to see if he has grown there. But I just don't I feel like I trust the position at the moment, especially with all the issues that you had at stopping the run. The linebacker shoot help by that as well, but at the moment I have defensive tackle a little higher than linebacker.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one of the best players on the in the draft is a defensive tackle Byron Murphy from Texas, but he's a three technique. The problem you're running into is you don't have a true one technique here because you're trying to figure out what you're gonna do with Mazzi. You've lost the depth with Hankins walking out the door and others, so you really don't have a one this draft isn't particularly deep for one technique guys either. McKinley Jackson from Texas A and M is a guy that's a three hundred and twenty six pound guy. He's probably a fourth round pick on a lot of boards. You don't have a fourth round pick. You have a pick at eighty seven unless you get another pick, and you're you know, that's to me, that's it would be. It's a little bit of a reach if you pick him at eight. Now you're trying to use valuable third round draft capital to make up for a position that you drafted last year in the first round because you're not sure. The linebacker position goes a little bit deeper here. I think these linebackers on your board are kind of trade back guys. If say some of these offensive linemen are not on the board for you, or you don't like the particular tackle or your center's not there, then maybe you can find a way to trade back. And then this is where Peyton Wilson, the linebacker from North Carolina State comes into play. Cooper from Texas A and M comes in play. Colston the linebacker from Michigan comes into play here. So to me, it's the linebacker gets addressed on a trade back potentially first the defensive tackle, unless you want to take Byron Murphy. And again that's a three technique jump up to get him though, right, That's what I'm saying. There's some people that feel like that, maybe that if he were to slide, if he were the one guy that all of a sudden, there's such a run on offensive players that they lose track of Byron Murphy, then you know, that might be the best player on your board. Yeah, but he plays a position that you you have. Oh soo Diggy'swa who I think is a really good player, but he, you know, Murphy and Osa. Yeah, it'd be great to have those two rush in the passer, but we still haven't addressed the one technique. Now does that Mazie Smith? You know, we'll see how that plays. But I only feel like that the defensive players will be there or potential for the drafting of a defensive player if it's a trade back, that's where I think that that's and I think they would probably address the linebacker before they would address the defensive tackle. Would be my guest as well.
Speaker 8: Uh, I'm obviously a build defense from the front to the back type guy. So my inclination is to say defensive tackles. But going into the draft, before they make any any selection, I keep defaulting to the linebackers only because there are more and bigger un knowns at linebacker. So at linebacker, as it stands, you have de mont Clark, you have Eric Kendricks, and then you have which basically will be a red shirt and de Marveon Overshown coming back from a torn acl so he has to get back to form health wise, and then he has to get through the rookie learning curve at one of the more cerebral positions in professional football. But when you look at the defensive tackle position, yes we have questions on what will Masi Smith look like in year two? What will his weight look like in year two? Is he going to be at three held to a three? At current weight? They're looking to bulk him up, but is it going to be bulky enough to put him back at one at the nose tackle?
Speaker 6: But that's not as concerning.
Speaker 8: It is concerning, but it's not as concerning as de Marveion over shown and how quickly can he get to form and become potentially a premier linebacker in this league. We talked about Osa outstanding talent. I have no concerns about Osa other than he's going into a contract year. We'll talk about that when we need to talk about that. But is ready to go right Chauncey Ghoston, He's shown flashes mostly a special teams guy, but when he's been given the chance rotationally on defense, particularly on the back half of last season, he showed some good signs. Concern there as far as unproving, but there's a potential to do something there. So even before they make another pick, or before they make a single pick, the defensive tackle position in a vacuum, to me, is more important than the linebacker position. But based on the pieces that are on the table, I'm more concerned about linebacker than I am defense.
Speaker 9: Especially like Ryan said, I mean, just using the pick last year on Mazie, it's hard to imagine them picking someone at the defensive tackle a high pick.
Speaker 5: This draft stretch is pretty good for you on the edges, so I wasn't worried so much about grabbing an edge. I think that you're going to have to be creative to get a defensive tackle, though, especially one if you're on a one technique.
Speaker 2: And it might be a little bit of a reach.
Speaker 5: Uh, And that's the hope that if you pick up, if you say you drop back to you can go back. Heck, you could go back to Tampa and pick up a fourth round pick that that's helpful. That's only going a couple of spots, but you know it would be it would really benefit you if you could grab a Day three early pick, because when you pick at eighty seven and you don't pick again until one seventy one, that is a long day of all of a sudden, guys going off that board and you're just watching them and you and you have no way unless you jump back in somehow and stop the bleeding. You can't call it twenty second time out and try and get back. You know, maybe you do, but uh, it's the trading back aspect of this. If their guy's not there, I think they have to be prepared to try and go back. And heck, you could take this thing all the way back to Kansas City at thirty two and pick up a three and pick up a four, and that would do you some great things.
Speaker 7: You get a three and a four. Yeah, wow, yeah, yeah, that could be huge.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you trade to San Francisco, you trade to Baltimore. Baltimore's a team I don't think will come up. Baltimore is a team that traditionally will just sit there and good players fall to them. Happens every single year I've ever been involved with a draft. So I think aggressive teams. Buffalo aggressive team. I think San Francisco is an aggressive team. I think Kansas City is a very aggressive team. Those are guys. Maybe even Arizona at twenty seven might be a team that you start to talk about. There's some people we were doing the Draft show, Nick Harris was talking about maybe trading this thing all the way back into the top of the second round, you know, looking to pick thirty four to thirty five and picking up some draft capital that way. They might feel like that is a better way to operate than just going ahead and picking a player at twenty four.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Bottom line is the Cowboys have to go into this draft not even considering but knowing that they're going to have to get at least one trade back done, hopefully more than one they need. They're going in with only seven picks, with three in the top one hundred. If they're going to have to get more in the top one hundred, preferably more, and you know at top one fifty at worst. So if you look at shameless plug, my annual mock that so on Dallas Cowboys dot com, Brian brings up an excellent point Kansas City. I played around with maybe trading on Kansas City going back to thirty two, get that third a fourth. I ultimately ended up with two two trade backs the Lions from twenty four to twenty nine, and I got the Lions seventy third to third pick, seventy third overall pick. And then when I went on the clock at thirty one, guess what the forty nine ers wanted to call and make an offer because they're unsure about Brandon Ayuk right potentially, so got their third round pick, which is ninety fourth overall. So before I even went on the clock at thirty one, I had two third round picks. Point being the Cowboys need to both be making the calls and fielding the calls and being open to see what they can do. I do think it's possible that they trade out of the first round entirely. My only asterisk to that is this is a team that recently hasn't been successful at getting deals done on their premier talent early, which means they probably want that fifth year of control over their first round pick. So keep that in mind when you're considering how willing or unwilling the Cowboys might be able to trade out of the first round.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that means to your point, on your Detroit trade, that's about a two to twenty five different some point differential, and that would be a massive overpay for Detroit. But how bad do they want a player? Sometimes you can get a team that really wants a player and you could get a massive overpay on that.
Speaker 8: So and to qualify that because Detroit correct me if I'm wrong, they don't have a fourth round pick. They don't, so they put the fifth round pick on the table along with their first for the swap. Fifth round pick wasn't enough, Not enough? I said no, And you don't have a fourth which would have been the sweet spot. So you got to come to the third and they I was taking JC Latham, which makes sense.
Speaker 5: I was thinking about Detroit as a possible not trade back because I think they're going to have to give up next year's assets to do it. Now, I can't play with next year's assets I have to think about so to me, to me, another thing you need to be concerned about is I don't think that if you look at this draft, Minnesota is picking ahead of you right now at twenty three. I would bet that somebody other than Minnesota is going to pick ahead of you.
Speaker 2: So there's another.
Speaker 5: Team that might have a need that you have that's all of a sudden. I mean, keep an eye on New England diving out of there, you know, and listening and talking to their folks about it, their shopping their pick. So you know, if Minnesota could package their two picks and go up and get their quarterback, like I say, there could be somebody very very different other than Minnesota picking ahead of you. And that's something you have to worry about.
Speaker 4: All Right, We're going to take our final break. We'll come back.
Speaker 7: We're going to get some predictions from these guys and what we think will happen on tomorrow and on Friday in the first three rounds of the draft.
Speaker 6: We'll be back.
Speaker 4: Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 10: Radio Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per day. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g's it is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: Don't put off getting your oil change. Dallas.
Speaker 15: Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room.
Speaker 2: Yep, you hurt that correctly.
Speaker 15: Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: It's the official Min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and Right Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 2: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 13: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 2: Back to the break, I'm about to give you some information.
Speaker 5: She already probably have the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine Draft Guide. Everybody's got this thing a ready. If you hadn't got it by now, you're you know what you're deep due to as they would say.
Speaker 2: But anyway, get your Draft Guide.
Speaker 5: It has in depth scouter reports on the top college players with more than four hundred prospects. Plus, there is our breakdowns of the Dallas Cowboys need at each position to look back at ten years ago, to the team's dramatic draft, the annual first round mock draft, and more. Get your copy of the twenty twenty four Draft Guide at your local pro shop or Dallascowboys dot com.
Speaker 2: Slash the Star or Star Not the Stars.
Speaker 7: Slash Star Welcome Back. It is the final segment of the break right. Yeah, you should have you and I will tell you. Also there is a we have a new portal on our website where we have tons of draft information. We've got scouting reports on all the players that'll be involved in this weekend's draft. So if you want to use that as kind of an opportunity to be able to brush up a little bit before the draft begins or throughout the draft, being able to get an idea, Stan Trash, you can do that. As you're watching and listening to the Draft Show, you can check.
Speaker 4: Out this this portal as well.
Speaker 6: We got everything.
Speaker 4: Whatever kind of way you want to consume it, we got it.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what. I was really happy.
Speaker 5: And by the way, thanks for letting us to do the Draft one oh one here. Yeah, it was great to the Jones family as well for allowing us to use the venue. I had a guy from a fan from the Detroit Lions that was part of it. He came up to me says, let's not even want to ask a question from all these Cowboy fans, but what do you think my lines are going to do?
Speaker 2: And he was so, it's really nice to know.
Speaker 5: That the reach that we have with our draft coverage, that it does go worldwide, and it's not just all Dallas Cowboys fans, the fans from all the teams, and we appreciate everybody out there that that that consumes us for these periods.
Speaker 7: You're doing a credit to you and the whole team out there that does the Draft show. This is it's turned into something way bigger than even my guy Ed k Hill could have imagined.
Speaker 4: It had the idea too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was and definitely more than I thought it would be at this point, but it just turned into something much bigger than justin Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: So good job by you guys.
Speaker 6: Will have a great.
Speaker 4: Weekend this weekend, and.
Speaker 2: Hopefully the Cowboys have a good weekend.
Speaker 4: Hopefully that's a good week That's the most important thing, all right.
Speaker 7: So let's let's dive and I want to get some some ideas, predictions from you guys of what you think is going to happen. Let's start first with the first pick, and I'd like to know from you guys two things. One, who do you think they'll pick?
Speaker 2: Two?
Speaker 4: Who do you want them to pick?
Speaker 5: I personally, I'll start this off because I'm supposed to be the draft expert here. I'm a big fan of Jackson Powers Johnson, the center from Oregon. I'm starting to hear some more medical improvements. There were some things I was very concerned about. I talked to two or three different teams about. I have not talked to the Cowboys about what they think about his medical condition, but he's the best center in the draft. I've gone on record. I feel like that this team has to find a center, and if you're going to draft and need that's go for the first one. That's center. I think is the one position that I would look at. I'd love for them to be able to draft him. I think that when you look at Barton from Duke is another possibility there. You're gonna have to walk a minefield in front of you, and everybody once again knows I was trying to alert you about that Minnesota pick. And if it's not Minnesota, it could be somebody else. It could be somebody that's going to sell. Maybe that team's going to sell the pick. We've Dallas has had this happen to them a couple of different times where there's such a need. Everybody's thinking that Dallas needs a center, Dallas needs a tackles. You know, all of a sudden, you get a team like Buffalo last year. A couple of years we traded ahead of you for a tight end. You know, we've seen teams try and trade ahead. Philadelphia did it one year for Dallas. Godd Or traded ahead of you because they thought you were going to take a tight end. So if if you know, Dallas is trying to keep this very quiet and very much buttoned up. But man, if if they can draft one of these centers Powers Johnson from Oregon Barton from a Duke, I think that would go a long way to helping them fix some of the things that are dealing.
Speaker 2: They're dealing with this offensive line.
Speaker 9: Well, do not look on me for information about the draft, and do not look at me for any any.
Speaker 2: Other tackle or center, which is if you had.
Speaker 9: A center center but the on the main guide. And I'm trying to think if it's because I've made my own opinion about Powers Johnson, or if it's because I've been kind of secretly brainwashed because I've seen his name everywhere, so maybe you know, you start getting seen things everywhere and just plants into your brain. But he's a guy that has attracted me a lot, and that I can see him fit pretty well with the Cowboys and the Olne and be a plugging guy immediately and hopefully not have a huge growing curve to do. But I do still think that the Cowboys will be trading back. However, there's still the possibility of getting a guy like Powers Johnson, and he regardless if it's not him, my pick would be whatever pick they make first O line. It has to be and I have I trusted a lot in the sense that so far, what the Cowboys have done over the years, they've been very successful. I've often linemen offensive linemen, So I trust that whoever they do pick and go for would be a guy that will be efficient and good for the Cowboys, not only this year, for years to come.
Speaker 2: That's well said.
Speaker 8: I think they're open minded in the aspect of like you said, offensive linemen, right, I think it's just down to center versus tackle, and they'll see how the board falls there. I think what will work in their favor. If you're like Amball, if you're like Brian and if you've read my mock massive spoiler, my first round pick is Jackson Powers Johnson. That's who I absolutely want. But the medical situation, and I'm glad to hear that it's improving.
Speaker 5: It is. I talked to two teams again, I did not talk to the Cowboys, but talk to two different teams, and there were some concerns with some various things, and they're like, no, no, no, clean, this is clean on some of these areas that have the concerns.
Speaker 8: So what I'm wondering is because of the presence. I hope they think that as well. Because of the presence of those medical concerns, regardless of which teams are worried about them or not, you don't necessarily have those with the guys like Graham Barton, which I believe that's going to make Barton go off of the board. And if reports as early as this morning, if they hold true, and teams are making a run on offensive tackles, and that's going to push the Cowboys more so the center. And I think Barton has gone before they even go on the clock at twenty four. I think that Powers Johnson is someone that you could trade back right potentially get a fourth or a third, and still he'll be there for you later in the first round. So I would love That's my dream scenario is that you can go back even thirty one, thirty two, whatever you need to gotwe in the thirties, and you'll still get Jackson, Powers Johnson, and I just have visions of him, you know. Book ended by Zach Martin and Tyler Smith. You talk about fixing the run game, you talk about protecting the middle of the middle of the offensive line. Those are three bullies. That's what I want to see.
Speaker 5: And I love what you're saying. I think you're going to have to draft the center. I think if I trade back, I could take one of these tackles. And you know the names, but there's some names that I think that when you when you look at Fatanu.
Speaker 2: From Washington is a possible name.
Speaker 5: I asked somebody about Latham in the league as a general manager, about Latham from Alabama, he said, he says, he ain't getting to you. Brian uh Geiton has been a very very popular name. The name you need to keep an eye on is Morgan from Arizona. If they trade back into this thing, keep an eye on that particular. I think they could play him at guard or they could playm at tackle there. He's really a talented player. We talked about him a bunch on the Draft show very early, and then like media scouts kind of fell off from him, and then he became a guy that was kind of a late one, maybe early too. So Dallas trades back in that because maybe the Sinners are wiped out and and and Patrick, I'm not poop pooing your idea about Powers Johnson in the trade back situation, but like I say, if the medical stuff is improving if people are like there was, there was a legitimate scare about him and the medical conditions, and like I say, I had had a general manager tell me, no, this, this is what the league is going to see with this guy now. So I kind of feel like those centers might be the premium. The tackle depth stretches a little bit more so if you go back to that thirty one, thirty two, maybe even come out of the second round. I would keep an eye on Morgan from Arizona, you.
Speaker 4: Know how I would.
Speaker 7: I would love for them to come away from this draft with Barton, and it's not necessarily for what he does right now, although I think he can step in immediately and be your center and be a really good center for you. I like his flexibility, and I'm looking at two to three years down the road. Let's say Zach Martin, as we know, he's coming closer to the end of his career. If you've already got a guy that has that ability where now you have to you can pop him out to guard if you need it to. If Zach Martin should say retire in the next one to three years, that feels really right to me and That's why I like a guy like Barton who has that flexibility, because I do think right now, your offensive line is in a little bit of a I.
Speaker 2: Feel like TJ. Masis.
Speaker 5: They will tell you they feel like the t J. Bass is a better right guard than left and left.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So at the end of the day, I love the flexibility.
Speaker 7: You're not you're not having that flexibility, like when they selected Tyler Smith, like the no one projected necessarily to be your guard. He was going to be the tackle, right but he got it guard and he was really good at it. So I just like the flexibility there give a guy that can play.
Speaker 5: There's people that there's people that feel like that. What if you drafted Barton and you turn around and drafted another center and you played Barton at guard and then okay, maybe you maybe they don't want to move Tyler Smith, but would you now you play Barton at guard, you played Tyler Smith that left tackle, and then now you've drafted uh Norzad from the Penn State center like in the fourth round. You know, if you get a fourth round, you get one of those extra picks.
Speaker 4: And that might be an optimal five, right, That's.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm saying that if you they could double dip on these offensive.
Speaker 8: Line, and I would, and I did in the muck, And you mentioned flexibility, so in on my round three, So in that seventy third overall that I was able to get from the Lions, and maybe he falls to eighty seven.
Speaker 6: Who knows.
Speaker 8: Dominique Pooney from Kansas, Absolutely he's flexible.
Speaker 2: Got him in the right spot right.
Speaker 8: You put him at guard, he can do some damage. You put him at tackle. He won awards last year for Kansas at left tackle. So that gives you also that added flexibility that you're looking for. And that's a guy strong, quick for his size, and he's a guy who can come in and be a starter immediately and down the road posts Zach Martin. It gives you that much more firepower to say, Okay, well we know you do well at left tackle, maybe we try you.
Speaker 2: Hear me.
Speaker 8: But to Bryne's point, I do think TJ. Pass is your post Zach Martin right anymore, But keep keep an eye on.
Speaker 2: Poony.
Speaker 5: Is del Mark Glaze from Maryland's another guy. I mean, here's a guy that's played left and right tackle for Maryland and projected as a guard. So at six four, three hundred and fifteen pounds, he wins. He's got body position, he plays with leverage, he's he's engaged a lot, he shuffles, slide. I mean, there's a lot of things about Poonye from Maryland.
Speaker 2: Those are two really good players.
Speaker 7: But I love the fact that the conversation is centered around the offensive line because I think when you got a young team and they're in the position from as Jerry talked about it yesterday, where they're going to have to pay the bill and all those kinds of things, the best thing you can do is solidify your line, can soililify your lines. That's the best thing you can do for a young team because no matter what other the other pieces are.
Speaker 4: That you may be able to keep or have to get.
Speaker 2: Enjoy that Byron Murphy pick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, hey, good line. We're talking about the lines. We're talking about the lines, offensive defensive line. Give me the line, all right. We appreciate you guys.
Speaker 7: Jos Tomorrow, make sure you check out all of our coverage on the Draft. Draft show will be starting up I think what six o'clock, six o'clock, and we'll run throughout the entirety of the Draft Day one, two and three till then for Patrick Walker, Brian brought us in Ambergarcia. I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club
Speaker 15: Minute