Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is alive from coast to coast, with Caroline Hyde in New York and Eva Low in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up.
Speaker 3: Oracle reports strong sales and issues an outlook that suggests little lead up in demand for AI computing.
Speaker 2: We break down the results.
Speaker 4: Plus Meta plans to deploy four new generations of its in house AI chips by the end of twenty twenty seven to help power its rapidly expanding AI workloads.
Speaker 3: And Uber will let customers hail robo taxis from Amazon zekes starting.
Speaker 2: In Las Vegas this summer.
Speaker 3: We'll hear from both companies in an exclusive interview later this hour. There's one big mover in technology, and it's Oracle, on track for its best days since September, up around eleven twelve percent.
Speaker 2: The numbers are very clear.
Speaker 3: Sales of ninety billion dollars for the fiscal year starting in June, capital expenditures holding at fifty billion dollars. The backlog is rising, and so the market's looking at this and saying, okay, the AI demand storing story is intact. Now it's about execution risk and credit risk, and how is Oracle going to manage cash to fund all of this.
Speaker 2: There's a lot more behind the numbers.
Speaker 5: Carry there is, and we can dig into them.
Speaker 4: And the results of Bloomberg's Brodie Ford that they did enough to stay off at any anxiety. They're sticking to just that fifty billion in capital expenditure, and the numbers thus far, particularly in the offering of cloud and the infrastructure side, really strong.
Speaker 6: Exactly right now. It's all about, as you both said, that execution risk. I mean, we have to remember that Oracle was kind of the poster child for Wall Street getting scared about all these big data centers not going quite right or the margins being upside down. But the results last night gave a lot of comfort, right They showed that things are progressing, They're recognizing revenue, the margin is reasonable, and so these are kind of all the messages that investors were hoping to hear from Oracle.
Speaker 2: Brady, take us inside the earning school.
Speaker 3: What was it like, you know, going into it, we had broken this story about Abilene not expanding from what was a set one point two gigawatts to potentially two gigawatts, and the markets reacted as far as I can tell on the transcripts, it didn't come up, but there were lots of questions about like how.
Speaker 2: Oracle was going to pull this off.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure. I think the big question underlying a lot of it is how are the big builds going right? And the indicator that some of these are going well is that the revenue is getting recognized. That means capacity is getting handed over to big customers like Open AI. The line in the transcript I thought was interesting was that their new co CEO, Clay mcglurk, said that ninety percent of what we delivered this quarter was on time or ahead of schedule. I think that was probably a kind of response to a lot of anxiety out there about potential delays or things kind of going sideways that despite the noise, we're handing over capacity just like we certainly would.
Speaker 3: Brody's got the Tech and Depth newsletter out about how Oracle's pulling every lever in its AI cash crunch. Really worth reading, Brody, Thank you very much. That's the story right now, right in markets. What is happening on the demand side, what is happening in the supply side, and what is happening in the cash supporting all of it. Matthew Weird Goldman Sachs Managing director joins us. Now, it's really interesting because for a very long time we were zeroed in on capital expenditures and that was the be all and the end all. There are stories on the Bloomberg terminal today about the credit profile and CDs for example on Oracle. Our investors starting to look deeper and at different data sets to assess the health of what's going on.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, we look though at the structure of the national economy and we look at CAPPAX as a share of GDP. What's interesting to note is that capital formation as a sharf GDP is the same level as a percent as it was in twenty eighteen. So we've seen a tremendous amount of investment, especially in the tech inn AI space. From a national standpoint, it doesn't feel imbalance. Now rightly, investors are starting to wonder what is the return going to be on all of the investment going into AI. We think that there has been a lot of excitement, perhaps over exuberance in places, but clearly, as you mentioned ed that there is a lot of demand still and that's something that we think can continue to go.
Speaker 3: You have a very clear line which is the primary determinant in equity markets and equity prices is earnings percent. We just had an astonishingly detailed earning sprint from Oracle. What did you learn about the world from it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I think going back to what you just said, that demand for AI capex is still very very high. When we think about what determines equity returns, whether you're looking at history since World War Two or even the last year. For the s and P five hundred and eighty to ninety percent of the return comes from earnings, and so the outlook for prices is really predicated on do you expect earnings to grow and we do think so. We think earnings growth for the SMP five hundred will be about ten percent this year. That is largely predicated on an economy that we think will be growing above trend.
Speaker 5: We're expecting two point four percent real.
Speaker 7: GDP growth versus trend growth for the US of about two percent that we think will generate that ten percent earnings growth. We think, though, in our base case, that the total return though for a SMP five hundred, will be about seven percent, which means not all that earnings growth makes its way into the total return, primarily because we think multiples will come down a little bit from their currently elevated levels.
Speaker 8: Interesting.
Speaker 4: Interesting because you've sort of been talking about the tech sect to not being in a bubble math. You talking about how valuations are relatively reasonable and Sunny Oracles come down some in terms of its own.
Speaker 2: Pe ratios, but taught.
Speaker 4: Us a little bit about the anxiety and the software part of the business. Oracle spoke and pushed back against that. Have you pushed back against that more broadly?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we do think that there should be some concern about the software sector. This, though, is reminding us of a few episodes historically. Whether it was the global financial crisis and there were concerns about the US financial sector.
Speaker 5: And existential concerns.
Speaker 7: If we go back to COVID, there are concerns about the office real estate sector and whether it was dead.
Speaker 5: We don't think this time is different.
Speaker 7: Investors unfortunately, tend to move in mass, especially when pessimism takes over.
Speaker 5: We think this time is no different.
Speaker 7: Reality is probably somewhere in between what we've seen in terms of the status quo and the existential concerns that investors have. We think of this more as an evolution of the sector. There's certainly a competitive risk, but we certainly don't think that this is an existential one where there's so much focus on the terminal value. We think these are absolutely very competitive companies that will continue to evolve over time.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of anxiety in the market initially about software, and then look, there was the geopolitical risk that we're now combating day in, day out for twelve state drips straight day over with the Middle East and conflict with Iran. Matthew, does that change in any way your perspective on investing into this moment in where you are in the market.
Speaker 7: Yeah, We're very focused on your on and it's terrible from a humanity standpoint. I think though, we would focus though on from an investment standpoint, that this resembles what typically happens when there's a geopolitical shock over the near term, there is a reaction by financial markets. What we've seen historically and specifically we've looked at the last forty years, there are twenty one air strikes in terms of the US in the Middle East, and we do see some patterns emerge. The first is that the initial reaction in markets is at risky assets like equities initially sell off, but then we see the dollar appreciate, we see oil rise, we see bond prices rise. But after about eight weeks, fundamentals, whether economic or corporate fundamentals, reassert themselves and the prior trend in financial markets resumes such that after eight weeks ninety five percent of the time, US equities are actually above their pre strike levels by an average of about four percent. So as a consequence, we haven't changed our views. We have a key investment tended at Golden sachs that history is a useful guide. The words this time is different, we think are very dangerous. We think that history will repeat itself here and eventually markets will resume their work.
Speaker 3: Trend every day trying to understand the long term impact of AI yes on inflation, YEP and labor markets. And I know the Goldman House cool is that AI may display a million jobs a year, but there is also job creation happening in parallel. Just what you said about how one might approach that as an investor from your desk, in your perspective, what happens in the short, medium and long term.
Speaker 7: So we think technological innovation is a feature and not a bug of the US equity market. In the US economy, the US economy is by far the most innovative globally. It's a key reason that we recommend our clients be strategically overweight US assets. Now, certainly AI is going to boost productivity, and unfortunately it is going to displace workers. But as you mentioned ed, there's a tremendous amount of new job creation each year. Bear with me some numbers here. There are one hundred and seventy million jobs in the US each year, they are about twenty five to thirty million jobs either lost or destroyed. But on the other side of that, and this is creative destruction, new jobs are created, and there are more new jobs created than jobs destroyed.
Speaker 5: So as we put that one.
Speaker 7: Million number into context, we think that a lot, if not all, of those jobs lost to AI will be replaced by new jobs. Think about the investment we've seen so far, whether it's the construction of data centers, think about rising financial market prices. That's increased net worth, and it's increased consumer consumption. And so as we think about the net impact longer term, we're bullish and we think that this is something that will be additive, even though over the show there will be some tough adjustments.
Speaker 8: Matthew, I'm Goldman Sachs.
Speaker 4: Great to have your expertise today. Thanks for coming in. While our next Meta plans to deploy homegrown chips handle AI workloads. I'll have the details next.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Tech. This is Meta's chip lab in Fremont, California. Inside the company is developing the next generations of MTIA, short for Meta Training and Inference Accelerator. It's in house AI chip program. It's a long term effort to build the most efficient architecture for Meta's internal workloads, with four new generations of chips planned over the next two years, from ranking and recommendations to large scale gen AI inferants. When chips come in from the fab, this is where they're validated, tested at the chip rack and workload level before deployment into metas data centers. MTIA three hundred is already in production, supporting ranking and recommendations, training helping decide what shows up in your social feed Those go into liquid called servers like these. MTIA four hundred is moving towards deployment, expanding into broader AI workloads, including Genai Future versions four fifty and five hundred push further into Genai inference, with deployments planned in twenty twenty seven. The effort hasn't always moved as quickly as Mark Zuckerberger Meta had hoped. Meta has made some acquisitions, it has tried to make some others in an effort to strengthen its in house chip talent and accelerate progress. AI models are evolving faster than traditional chip cycles, so Meta is speeding up the design process, aiming to improve performance, cost and power efficiency at scale. At the same time, the company is striking major supply deals with leading chip makers, securing gigawats of AI computing capacity. The strategy is by compute at scale from Nvidia and AMD, but also use custom silicon, where metas works are uniquely its own, because in the AI race, it isn't just about the models, It's about the compute behind them. Okay, so we broke the story on this one this morning. The reaction in Meta shares kind of muted. Remember Meta still a big buyer of Nvidia and AMD GPUs. Let's get more on Meta's own chip plans the in house and custom silicon with Bluemos Riley Griffin who came with me to Fremont, and it was an interesting experience, right, Like this is both they want to do custom silicon because they have a lot of internal workloads, lots of AI inference, but they're going to have to keep buying from the big names as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's a strategy of more is more is more, and that is for the chips, that is for gigawatts. That is a total diversification approach to securing that compute given the insatiable demand.
Speaker 4: Ed right now for that, talk to us a little bit about the m and A that was involved Riley to beef up the team because Ed hinted at it in his piece there. But they were pushed back by one Japanese company. But then we're able to buy a local chip making focus.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So early last year, Meta had made an approach for furios Ai, a Korean chip maker that rebuked it. It turned down that eight hundred million dollar offer. We then reported in March. Later towards the end of the year, we also reported that Meta was successfully able to acquire Revos and with that it's bench of talent and that was really the key here. They were able to bring in more than four hundred employees who are now peppered across MTIA. This team, some of whom we met in Fremont, that are making these four different chips, and they're able to do that in parallel with that additional headcount.
Speaker 3: I think the specific is really interesting, Like MTIA three hundred is real. You know, Meta tells us it's in production and they still regard that as.
Speaker 2: AI right training the AI.
Speaker 3: That results in what shows in your timeline targeted ads, but actually the next step is LAMA running the model. So when you put a request into Meta AI, what else did you see there? I mean, the facility was large and from a dollar perspective, they seem very committed here.
Speaker 9: It seems like a massive investment. They wouldn't give us a specific figure to how much they're spending on their own in house chip work, but just seeing the products on the table, you got to believe there are billions at play here. One thing I would have loved to see was MTIA for fifty to five hundred. These are the next next generation, and.
Speaker 2: We asked they showed us the cads or the EDAs.
Speaker 9: But yeah, no, no finished product yet and that we're looking to twenty twenty seven for that. So two more being released next year and in six month increments, which is really notable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a great deep dive. I'm looking forward to seeing the next chips. Roddy Griffin, thank you very much. Indeed, Now in other news, in Nvidia will invest two billion dollars into Nevius now as part of a strategic partnership to develop and build AI data centers. You guessed it will help Nevius deploy more than get this five gigawatts in video systems by the end of twenty thirty. Again, this age old circular financing question comes once more, and in video putting it in to the end customer for its chips. Nebe also has a fascinating history. Of course, it's the Dutch company. It was the holding company of what was once Yandex. In fact, it's still led by Yandex's co founder of the Russian business.
Speaker 3: And it's basically you know, it's one of the European names. The stock reaction, I guess not that surprising, right. In Video has made several multi billion dollar investments in one or another layer of what's happening in AI infrastructure, but at one point of eighteen percent on track for his biggest jobs since September. I guess a vote of confidence from the main market leader for GPUs that go into the data centers.
Speaker 8: Yeah, certainly.
Speaker 4: What we've just had news this week of in scale and the fact that they've got new funding got more people on the board. Nick klegg Sheryl Samberg. So there's a real heating up of those neo clouds over in Europe as well as cool we've hover in the US another day. It is another big bit of AI agent news. Data Bricks is launching Geni Code. It's a built in autonomous AI assistant for really technical talent. Joining us now in New York CEO Ali Goertzi, who's here for a big sales event that you host here in the city and Alik, what is this particular bit of code equipment going to do for your talent?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 10: So what it is is, you know, we've heard a lot about cloud code and coding agents and so on, but what they do, they're kind of like interns that can write code for you. That's great, but how do you get that code into production? And for that you need to be sure that you know nothing's going to go wrong, that you can measure it.
Speaker 8: And so on.
Speaker 10: So that's gen code is really about, how do you actually get your code into production, how do you measure the data pipelines that power all of the dashboards that you see, and how do you even start building AI models. So what gen code can do is it can build a machine learning model for you that can predict prices or estimate, you know, how much you're going to sell of this, and it can do this you know itself. It just goes build machine learning models, iterates on them, does a lot of the things that data scientists previously had to do themselves.
Speaker 8: It just automates all of that for you, and.
Speaker 4: It's not getting things incorrect. As the work continues, there's still been a lot of concern that these things are hallucinating the longer term that they work.
Speaker 10: Yeah, this is a big problem in the industry. So with this, this is like one piece of the puzzle, is what I talked about. The other piece of the puzzle is we also acquired a company called Quotient, and these are the folks behind GitHub Copilot's quality measurement.
Speaker 8: So there are folks focused.
Speaker 10: On quality measurement making sure that they can do monitoring of how things are going. So this is the other piece of the puzzle, so that we can actually do that. So when you launch these things and they're running, how can we oversee to make sure that nothing is going wrong or it's sort of if it's going off.
Speaker 8: Track, we can stop it, restart it.
Speaker 10: So that's equally important, maybe even more important than the first part.
Speaker 2: Alian.
Speaker 3: It's great to have you back on on Bloomberg Tech, like taking in aggregate, launch of gene code, acquisition of quoting, and how much at this stage for data breaks. Is it about product diversity, you know, kind of broadening the offering or suite or platform for your customers.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean that's super important, right because the space is moving so fast, and you know it just you know, just I think six months ago we were talking about things that were out of completing code. To now everybody has agents that can write the code. So the question is how do we actually make these the code that has been written into production, make sure that they're powering up everything inside of the enterprise and making sure that we're monitoring it, making sure that we can actually start doing more interesting things with it. Can we build AI models automatically for the business that can predict the business? So you know, to complete that puzzle and have all the different puzzle pieces, you know, you have to expand. So it is about that and you know that's why Quotient and also gene code that have been added to this.
Speaker 3: How how defensive was that move? You know, I think about the interesting cursor right now, what Claude is offering on or anthropic through the coding side, your awareness of the battle field in AI.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean those are great partners and customers that we work with and we use actually cursor and we use cloud code internally at theater but.
Speaker 2: As well, Yeah we do.
Speaker 10: But those things they focus on how can we write how can we help software engineers? What gene code really can do is it brings it to the knowledge worker, the people that create your dashboards inside of an organization and they make sure that your revenue numbers are correct or the people that make sure that the data that's coming in every day into the organization is correct. Nothing breaks, you know, there's not an outage. You don't have like a blue screen. The dashboard is out and you can't see it, or the people that are building machine learning models that can predict your prices or your costs or you know, doing assessment with machine learning models. It automates that portion. So it's sort of very complementary to cloud code and you know, cursor and Report and.
Speaker 4: I'm interested in vibe coding like we're all talking about it. And indeed, you've got some slightly less technical talent in side your business who are using report and in fact, Data Break Ventures invested in Report.
Speaker 2: As of today.
Speaker 4: So how how you seeing the adoption of AI ah, So what does it mean actually for the strength of your data business?
Speaker 10: Yeah, so that's a great point. So geni code is really for data scientists, for data engineers. These are people that the knowledge worker that understands data. At Data Breaks, we have ten thousand employees about you know, three four thousand of them are in this category that they're quite technical and genicode will help them.
Speaker 8: But you know, we have five.
Speaker 10: Six thousand people that are sitting in marketing or in HR or in finance and they don't have those technical skills.
Speaker 8: Replet is excellent.
Speaker 10: They love it, you know, It's just that these are people that would never otherwise even touch code, and they're now using replet themselves and they're building things that actually work. And the best part of it is, you know, whenever you build a piece of software that works with Replet, it uses.
Speaker 8: A database behind the scenes.
Speaker 10: And actually we have very deep partnership with them, so it uses our late based offering behind the scenes, So it uses that database that we offer, which is perfect for.
Speaker 8: These kind of agentic tools.
Speaker 10: So I think repleit is really amazing for democratization to the broader masses, the people that you would never imagine we'd write a single line of code.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sorry to interrupt, We just got thirty seconds. I've got to ask you, where are we on data bricks path to the public markets?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I knew you were going to ask. Look, I don't think right now is the best time to be public. So I'm pretty happy to be private to this very moment. Right with everything that's going on in the markets, we are really excited about what we can do with AI. As we can see, we're doing all these acquisitions, we're investing, we're hiring people. So we're focused on this long term revolution that's happening with AI, rather than having to be bogged down about you know, Ibita and what's happening in the market today. So we will be public, but I don't think now is a very good time.
Speaker 3: At Agusi Data Bricks CEO had to ask up next Uber and zeokes.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech okay.
Speaker 3: China is moving to restrict state run enterprises and banks from using Openclaw AI apps, citing security concerns. According to sources, notices have been sent to various agencies in recent days that warned against installing open Claw software. Shares a Chinese AI and textoc slid on the report here with more Bloomberg Executive editor Peter Elstrom, I think explain the reporting a bit, you know, the sort of rule or notice that was sent out, and I guess also what openclaw is and how it's used in China in the context of that report.
Speaker 11: Sure, sure, Well, you guys have talked about openclaw a few times in the past. Of course, it's this agentic AI service that started here with Peter Steinberger who released it to the public, and it was kind of a hit a few months ago. What people may not know quite as well is that in the past couple of weeks there's just been a frenzy in China about open claw and the service and this idea that agentic ai can really begin to do things for you if you connect it to your messaging, your finances, to all sorts of other maybe company documents too. So it's supposed to be a plug in that you can use through your messaging service WhatsApp for we chat in China in particular, and there's been this huge uptake over the past couple of weeks. We've seen companies like ten Cent and Mini Max introduce plugins to be able to use open class services that are slightly modified, and their shares have really been soaring on this news. So consumers have begin to adopt it, some companies have begun to adopt it, and that leads us to where we are today, where this is an exclusive from Bloomberg where we found out that Beijing has told the state owned enterprises, the military government agencies that they can't adopt this kind of technology because there are risks you're giving tons of access to a lot of information that could be confidential through the service, and they don't want these organizations to do that.
Speaker 4: I mean, Austria developer Peter Steinberger who's now gone over to open Ai Peter.
Speaker 8: He was the first to admit.
Speaker 4: That security and safety wasn't his first focus when building out what has become a hugely popular tool, and so therefore it's China a little bit late to the party here, only adopting a Western made piece of tech here, an open source one, but also one that had been omittedly already pushed back by US institutions because for fear that it would go rowe.
Speaker 5: I think that's right.
Speaker 11: I think Steinberger was quite vocal about some of the risks here. I think it was more focused on trying to prove that agentic ai can be useful and that it can be easily accessible if you're able to tap into it through WhatsApp, for example, So I think it was more focused on that side of it. He was kind of deprecating about what the service could actually be used for. But now we're seeing it being taken up in a number of different places, certainly in the US and Europe, also in in Asia. With this China explosion of interest, I think the Chinese tech companies have been very quick to pick it up and see how they can adopt it for their own market too. And I think with those advances you've seen, these organizations take it on and some of these risks are coming to the fore. I think you're exactly right, though cybersecurity experts have been quite worried about agentic AI in general and open Claws specifically.
Speaker 4: Max Klaw relaunch. I mean, so many of them taking on the news. Peter Elstrom, great to have the breakdown. Thank you. Let's take another look at Uber shares right now, because as you see, they earlier in the session had spiked and now still holding on to three percent gains after the right Helth company announced it would offer users the chance to ride in robotaxis from Amazon Zoos Suning in Las Vegas this summer. Earlier this years of both companies sat down with Ed in an exclusive interview.
Speaker 12: That hasn't changed. We're doing that, and I've also told you that we'd be practical about our commercial deployment. This is a big market and so talk to Darra and in Las Vegas and LA We're really looking forward to bringing our experience and sort of this way to ride to the Uber platform, in addition to also being available.
Speaker 2: The way to write is interesting.
Speaker 3: You know, Uber is not a ride it is a platform, a marketplace for increasingly different kinds of rides. What is it, Dora that you think you can help z dukes do that? I guess they wouldn't otherwise be able to do on their own.
Speaker 13: Well, we bring enormous distribution on a global basis, and I think that there's this narrative of its either or you know, either you go direct to your customer or you go through a platform. And the fact is, if you look, for example, on Uber Eats, you have some of the best brands in the world, whether it's a McDonald's or a Starbucks or Chipotle, having a direct interaction with customers through their own apps, but also using the platform to expand their distribution. And I see the same thing with Zeus as well. You know, Zeus is on his way to create one of the best brands in the business and transportation.
Speaker 2: You experienced recently, right.
Speaker 8: It's a great experience. It's a purpose build vehicle.
Speaker 13: And to have that experience on Uber, we think will only magnify what Zeus is bringing to the market place.
Speaker 3: This is small scale in the first instance, right, you know, in Las Vegas, and then where you're already active, and then and then LA. The mechanics of it are interesting, right, because as a rider, you are not guaranteed in the first instance, that you can choose a zus. It's algorithmic. It depends on the circumstances for.
Speaker 2: You to have.
Speaker 3: I think the language uses the opportunity to be matched with the zokes. I guess supply in the first instance, is why you've pursued that plan at first?
Speaker 12: Yeah, but really no, because look, it's a platform, it's a global platform, it's available. You have all kinds of people who show up in Las Vegas. Some might know about Zoukes, some might not, and the ones who don't probably know about Uber, So why not take advantage of that?
Speaker 5: That's really all it is.
Speaker 3: This is early, but would you just explain I guess longer term what the business plan is. Is there a per ride revenue share agreement? How do you split the fare when you're able to charge a fair dara?
Speaker 13: I think for us now, the focus is going to be the customer experience. We want to make sure that whether obviously the Zukes direct experience is going to be best to breed, but also having the experience through Uber is going to introduce U see you to the differentiated experience on zekes as well. That's really going to be That's really going to be what Aisha and I are focused on. You know, I would say at the economics take care themselves over the long term.
Speaker 3: Data is going to be critically important here. So let's start a guess, Stara, with what data sets can Uber provide ZEKES that help them with scale and data sharing that you've got in place.
Speaker 13: Well, we are certainly going to work with zekes in terms of uh traffic patterns, and now ZEUS is going to have access to that data directly as well. But I think the combination of the traffic patterns that we see and the customers that we see, whether local or international, along with zekes's proprietary data, I think is going to help zekes be even more efficient as an entity going forward.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and I'll add to that also the experience of dealing with things. We're just starting to deal with large events, things that Uber knows how to do in their sleep and will essentially up our knowledge of doing that.
Speaker 3: That was Uber CEO Dara Kostra Shahi and zooks CEO Aisha Evans now coming out Michelle Voles, formerly of the American Dynamism Team at Andres and Horowitz joins us to discuss her new fund and it's focus on investing in technical superiority. What a conversation to come. This has been a big tech.
Speaker 4: The conflict with Iran. While it's highlighting a concern some investors and many others have been flagging for a while, expensive hard to replace weapons are being used to counter cheap Iranian missiles and drones. Now today Michelle Voles is joining us, who's a former member of the American Dynamism Team. Over Andresen Horowitz, you've been investing in startups looking to address the costly, the slow that sometimes missing parts of the US industrial supply chain. And Michelle, you've just launched a new firm, pax VC. You've raised fifty million dollars. You're looking at early stage. But I'm really interested in just this moment that we're in, of geopolitical tension of conflict. And you, as an investor in defense tech, but more broadly in supply chain and American dynamism, what do you make of this moment?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think the conflict has really highlighted the gaps that we have in our industrial base. We've outsourced a lot of our manufacturing overseas to China, and now are realizing we need to be able to resupply our weapons systems, our components. We need to manufacture these things domestically in house. We need to shore up our critical mineral supply chain. And so many of the companies that I'm investing at and looking at, whether back at in recent Horowitz or now, are really focused on this industrial base and making sure that we can, in any sort of future conflict, have the capabilities domestically to be able to fight back.
Speaker 4: I mean, the name says it all, because packs we think of Packs Britannico or Romana or Packs Americana of like sort of the dominant of one particular global force and the stability that brings. But you've talked about how in this competitive area that we're currently in, maybe Packs American or isn't so solid.
Speaker 8: But you're looking at.
Speaker 4: PEX Technica, So where in particularly excited about which particular technology innovations have you found it worth to put your money in?
Speaker 2: Totally?
Speaker 14: And I mean I think the name packs, like you said, says it all. Where the eras of relative stability have been defined by who is in power and who has the most technological power. And I think for us in America to be able to ensure continued relative stability in the world, we need to make sure our robotics systems are incredible, our supply chain, and our ability to mine and refine critical minerals. I invest in a mining company called Marianna Minerals that's working to reshure all of our capacity to bring all these critical minerals to the industrial base. I think, look around corners, what should we prepare against for future threats. We should be looking at biosecurity and biodefense. We should be looking at all sorts of things on the AI and what that does for cybersecurity. And so I think there's an element of like how do we reshure and reindustrialize and how do we see around corners for what are the threats coming next.
Speaker 2: Michelle High zed, it's good to see you.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show. Go back to basics just for seconds. You were in rec and Horowitz and you're part of this American dynamism team, and the thesis was like simply supporting the national interest, and you've decided to go out and do something almost solo, right, and I just wonder if you reflect a little bit on the decision making behind that, the pros and cons of going from such a big team within a big firm to doing this with packs totally and reeson.
Speaker 14: Horwitz is an incredible place, like some of the most brilliant people. Lots of scale, but I love the early stage and I love the sort of zero to one when companies are just getting off the ground and at that point you don't quite need the firepower of a big multi stage. You almost need a trusted partner in the trenches with you, helping like block and tackle for all the small things like getting a company off the ground. And then you can bring in these big multi stage firms that have all these resources to really pour gasoline on the fire that starts burning. And so it's just my favorite stage to be and I love being really really close with the founders there.
Speaker 3: Well, without putting words in your mouth, you talk about this idea that often the founders and themselves, they're kind of ahead of the vcs that backing them, even if they're like, you know, vcs that have the operator background or the founder background, how are you going to catch up? You know, how are you going to put yourself in a place where you are moving at the same rhythm or pace as the people you want to back.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 14: I would say my style of founder that I like is somebody that has a lot of experience in the dome they're going after and a sort of unique view or a unique right to win, even if that is a category that hasn't yet been mainstream or people have seen, Like, the founders should be the ones dictating what is the future. And if you start to see patterns of okay, a lot of smart people are working in this category, it feels like, even if I haven't seen it, like they are seeing something and I should really spend more time and get up to speed. But really it's all about like having a network of experts in these domains to be able to bounce things off of and get the ideas, you know, solidified but real. Like the founders should be the smartest people in the room. Venture capitalist should not.
Speaker 3: Be Michelle, Just really, really really quick, did you take any port codes with you? Like?
Speaker 2: How does that work? We just have fifteen seconds.
Speaker 14: I invested through my fund in some of my old and recent Horwitz port codes, which is a very big honor for them to want me back on their cap table.
Speaker 3: Appreciate that. We just wanted to check that one. Michelle Boles, founder and managing partner of pax VC. Thank you for your time. Carry got some more news.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's time now for talking tech ed and first up anthropic. When it's told a judge it could lose billions of dollars in revenue this year after the Trump administration declared the company a US supply chain risk. Now, the startup made a case for urgency to the San Francisco judge a day after it was sued sued the Defense Department. Now a hearing is set for March twenty four.
Speaker 2: Plus.
Speaker 4: Grub Hub Well, it's going to test drone delivery of takeout orders for the first time. It's part of a limited three month pilot program in the area of green Brook, New Jersey, starting next week. Now, this is the company's latest experiment with automation technology. Is after using sidewalk robots on some US college campuses, and Nintendo shares gained as much as ten and a half percent in their biggest rally since April as a surprise. Success of the new Pokemon game helped offset those worries about rising memory costs. Physical copies of Pokemon Pacopia have sold out several major retailers in the US, with Amazon even raising its price to around.
Speaker 2: You tell us.
Speaker 3: Last year, Synopsis closed a thirty five billion dollar acquisition of Engineering Software and SIS. Now the focus turns from integration to execution. We spoke with CEO sisin Ghazi about how AI is transforming chit design and manufacturing.
Speaker 2: Take a listen what our customers are facing.
Speaker 15: Beside the supply chain challenges and the global stress that we're dealing with. There's a shortage of engineering. They cannot get enough engineers to deal with that complexity. So AI helps augment the existing engineers. The second aspect of it reducing the cost. You can reduce the cost by improving the yield. Memory is a fantastic example. No matter how much the memory companies try to expand capacity by building factories, you need to be able to have better yield. That's where we come in to help them design the actual physics of manufacturing with the design phase to improve the yield. So those are the components and reducing the design cycle. Traditionally, chip design was eighteen to twenty four months. Now you have customers like Nvidia and other talking about the design rhythm of twelve months. That is not possible without injecting AI everywhere in the flow. And when you go to manufacturing you're able to improve your yield.
Speaker 3: So see what conclusions did you reach in recent weeks after the selloff in software names about the long term definitive impact that AI will have on EDA. You're one of the biggest DA names, right, but you're not the only one.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Unfortunately, it was a naive approach to say that all software is the same. You're going to have some software where LLMS foundation models. Yes, is a perfect application to let me call it replace. But when you look at the engineering software, I'll go back to the physics aspect of it. We run, we code, and we deliver software to our customers, but that's not the most The key differentiation are the solvers to translate from an architecture design to an actual manufacturing product. So I believe it was absolutely in over the action by putting every company that delivers software in the same categorization.
Speaker 4: So to Seo sasine Ghazi there, let's turn our attention to Google now and it's aiming to battle AI slot videos on YouTube and YouTube kids. By backing companies it sees actually creating high quality AI content. This includes very small but focused one million dollars strategic investment in an AI animation studio, Animaje. Let's get more with Alexander Levine, who covers social media for Boomberg. Look, one million is but nothing to Google, but it's saying something about what content it wants to do.
Speaker 16: Back Exactly one million is nominal not only for Google but also for the company which has raised a ton of money over the last several years. But I think what is significant about Google's backing of this company, Aimage, is that it is really making a bet that AI can be used to make really strong quality content for children who are using both YouTube and YouTube kids. They have had a problem over at YouTube, especially over the last year or two, with AI slop and with content that a lot of parents and child experts think are is more exploitative than educational for children, and so this is really a swing to try.
Speaker 8: To take that on.
Speaker 3: Alex For the Brimotech audience, what is AI slop.
Speaker 16: A slop is what we are now often calling spammy, clickbaity, repetitive, low quality slimy looking content that you see not only on YouTube but also on pretty much every major social media platform at this point, and it is often repetitive, something that I think is particularly concerning for younger viewers because they are real developing their brains at early ages when they start watching watching a lot of this stuff. And so that's why there has been a bit more attention. An AI slot for toddler's babies and children.
Speaker 4: I mean, Adamage I found them back in twenty twenty two is an extraordinary like more billions of views. Why is it the first kids media business for Google to book?
Speaker 16: So it is not the only kids media business out there. I think the biggest, probably best known competitor of an homage is Moonbug, which Moonbug Entertainment, which is the company behind things like Coco Melon and Blippy. But I think that if you look at some of the Google AI accelerators other investments, you'll see that they are very much focused on other companies in the media space. This is the first, I think focused on the kids space, which I think says a lot about its priorities.
Speaker 3: For twenty twenty six, Bloomberg's Alex Leevin, thank you very much, jam packed. But that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 4: Carrac Yeah, don't forget to check out the podcast.
Speaker 8: You can find it on the terminal.
Speaker 4: Can also find it online on Apple, Spotify, and iHeart. From New York and San Francisco, this is a blue leg Tech