Speaker 1: My name is Trim and this is Saigon, the story of my family and of the country that shaped us.
Speaker 2: The United States will not stand by and allow any power.
Speaker 3: However, great ape over another time.
Speaker 4: Oren't no wild.
Speaker 5: Natural expagon that brought only come new land.
Speaker 6: A bad dy babbled.
Speaker 2: That can be no peace without justice, and that can be.
Speaker 7: No justice without peace.
Speaker 1: Chapter seven. Having recovered from the initial surprise of the Viet Cong's huge tet offensive, the US soon recaptured the cities that had been taken. Now, the more difficult task of clearing the communists out of the countryside began. It was March nineteen sixty eight.
Speaker 4: Sir, what they're ready for you now? Colonel Henderson, good, you ready? Captain Sherman, Yes, sir, I'm ready.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 8: Let's go.
Speaker 9: Ten hot, sir, wage.
Speaker 8: Tomorrow this payback time.
Speaker 10: Now, the Viet COM's forty eighth Battalion has dispersed among the six hamlets of the Lee Fong area Bio seven hundred, and all the civilians the markets are working the fields. That means any man left in the villages will be the sea. Now we have been assigned hamlets one to five.
Speaker 9: We will go in there.
Speaker 8: Aggressively close with the enemy and wipe.
Speaker 9: Him out for good.
Speaker 11: And that dawn when you climb into the slicks, I don't want you thinking about your sweetheart back home, or your mama and Papa and the smell of apple pie and ice cream.
Speaker 12: You will be the wrath of God ranging through the gates of hell with one thought and one thought only. All your dead and wounded buddies. You are their retribution. You will rain fire on these bastards. Am I right, Captain German?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 14: Yes, sir, absolutely, you will be the hand of justice across the hole of the quag not province.
Speaker 15: Are you ready?
Speaker 8: Carry on?
Speaker 4: Get some rest, guys. I'll see you back here at six hundred hours, uh, Captain German. Yeah, I just thought you ought to know.
Speaker 16: Ryan sick Captain, but he won't see them o because he thinks he'll have to sit out the mission.
Speaker 4: What's sort of sick his shoulder, Captain, it's got infected.
Speaker 14: Can he shoot?
Speaker 4: No, Sir, I'll tell him. I don't send sick men into battle just to prove some crazy notion of toughness. You can either see the mo o or come and see me and let me make the call. Yes, captain. Now, thank you, Corporal. Misplaced bravery isn't gonna win us this war. We got to keep our heads understood, Captain, Okay, Corporal, see you in the morning, sir, Thank you, Sir, cat and Sherman. Colonel Henderson, Yes, sir, is there a problem.
Speaker 8: You're covering hamlets one and two?
Speaker 4: Yes, correct, sir. See companies covering three and four? Be Company five and six.
Speaker 8: We'll make damn sure they do the job properly, Sherman. The entire area has to become totally unusable for the vicom. I'm talking. Burn houses, kill livestock, destroy food stores, and poison all the whales. That understood, understood, Yes, Colonel Good at east, Captain, where's Medina?
Speaker 12: Two?
Speaker 7: Ten?
Speaker 9: S downs?
Speaker 8: Sir, very good, and remember Captain, the hand of God retribution.
Speaker 1: That night, Captain Gary Sherman sat down and wrote a letter for his father, Joseph Sherman. It was a ritual he performed before every battle. It was a superstition he'd come to believe in. As long as he prepared for the worst, it wouldn't happen.
Speaker 4: Dear Dad. Sorry, we couldn't catch up last month. By the time you got back to Saigon. We'd been posted up here. We're heading out on a clean up mission tomorrow. We have to flush out any remaining Viet Cong, which is always hard when they make themselves look like innocent villagers.
Speaker 15: Got it.
Speaker 4: I keep thinking about that girl too, the VC girl who came out of the ground. I wake up every night and see her face, see her look at me and then lower her gun. I should have died that.
Speaker 10: Day, but I didn't.
Speaker 4: And tomorrow, when we go on our mission, I keep thinking she'll be out there, and she's my half sister. It makes me wonder why we're here, what are we even doing here? We leave at dawn, so I better get some sleep. Just wanted to write this first, like always, you know, in case, I Love your Dad, look after yourself, Love Gary, Fight for.
Speaker 9: One Alpha perchingham Let's Project.
Speaker 2: Christians copy Fay for one, Alca All clear.
Speaker 9: Roger, Okay, here we go.
Speaker 2: He's gonna hover a couple of feet off Brown, stay low, letch your ankles right clear.
Speaker 9: And come go on.
Speaker 2: Alpha Company spread out, staying to be Parker left, Blake, Thompson, Hicks right side.
Speaker 9: Right, move out forward stay Frosty three sixty.
Speaker 4: Thompson, Captain, see anything, nothing yet, and we're gonna get us a whole rack of yellow ass today, though, aren't we?
Speaker 9: Hixy good goddamn tip?
Speaker 4: Okay, careful, guys, they would have heard the choppers. It could be hiding anywhere.
Speaker 9: Gonna turn them all this strawberry jelly wherever they are, Captain Goodwin, Captain take point. It's move hold it? What play in mind? Okay, guys, keep moving and watch where you're stepping.
Speaker 10: Who was it?
Speaker 9: C Company? By leifunk pork? They found themselves from VC Parker. What have we got, leefunk one? See anything? Some kids playing on the path, an old woman cooking breakfast?
Speaker 6: Just kids and women.
Speaker 9: Weren't they men to be at the market?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Or on the fields? That's what we thought. Where the hell of the VC?
Speaker 4: Maybe they've gone.
Speaker 3: We're in the huts.
Speaker 9: Get down, fire, it's me. Who are you? Women? Rob A company?
Speaker 15: Captain Wakowski says, leaf on three's empty, so you can swing north and won't have to worry about your ear.
Speaker 9: Hold your ground there, right, thanks?
Speaker 4: Women?
Speaker 9: And what's happening at four? That's Medina and C Company.
Speaker 15: They're just going crazy, killing everything chickens, kids, women, what they're wiping out everything.
Speaker 9: There's no orders to kill women and kids.
Speaker 6: Tell them that, Jesus.
Speaker 9: Parker, hold your position here. I'm going up to Leif funk four Thompson Hicks with me. Let scope.
Speaker 7: Stop.
Speaker 9: You can get down.
Speaker 6: Christ What are they doing? It sounds like they're killing him. Captain, this is a massacre. None of these people are viet cong As. If it was right, there are all kids and women and old guys. Holy God, Captain.
Speaker 1: Over a hundred villagers had already been shot or bayoneted with no letup in sight.
Speaker 4: I have to stop this and ne'd cover Thompson Hicks.
Speaker 8: Captain, Yes, sir, okay, let's get.
Speaker 4: On down there a lead put on three aim over their heads and keep going until they come to their senses.
Speaker 9: You ready go, okay? What crow right?
Speaker 13: Put DNA stop stop it, God stop, say company, this is insane.
Speaker 9: Stop but dd I can't rule your bed. He's art be saying, what the hell are you doing? Turn it out now? No more? That's it?
Speaker 13: Okay, but oh your guy shit, I'm on a landmine, Captain, say stay there, Thompson.
Speaker 9: Sh I'm gonna try to to disengage, Captain. It's gonna be okay, Captain, we call him at he What have we got? Lambine doc folks leg blow the knee, alright, you're trying to get it into something giving him you don't know about other injuries, Scott, what a mess. Okay, Let's get.
Speaker 16: Him on a stretcher and strap him to the skids and morphe ready and when I say lip yet and lift now gently real channel, you get that strapped under the skin across the shoulders.
Speaker 15: Okay, captain, it's okay. We're gonna get you.
Speaker 7: Out of here.
Speaker 9: We're getting help for you with me with you kidding help. It's trying to relax, captain. Let's take care of the paint.
Speaker 6: I'm saying, guess captain, tell dad, I never got to say anything came out of the crown with that captain. When she saw me, she knew, she could.
Speaker 1: See that was.
Speaker 6: She knew what captain who is? She just just stared because she knew.
Speaker 4: Who was me?
Speaker 6: Who did.
Speaker 11: Too?
Speaker 13: To what?
Speaker 6: Captain?
Speaker 9: Hat see you soon never.
Speaker 4: Won album all.
Speaker 1: Gary died a day later. Joseph wrote an article about his son and the massacre at Leefung for.
Speaker 7: Journalism goes to mister Joseph Sherman.
Speaker 1: It won him a Pulitzer Prize.
Speaker 15: Thank you, Thank you everyone.
Speaker 5: Obviously I'm not Joseph Sherman, who sadly is unable to be with us today, but I am honored to accept this award on Joseph's behalf.
Speaker 1: Joseph had not only been unable to make the awards ceremony, he had been unable to return to the United States at all.
Speaker 15: He had lost his.
Speaker 1: Son and Land, the woman he loved, and a few weeks earlier he had received confirmation that his daughter too yet had been killed in an American bombing raid on Hanoi. He felt his life no longer had any meaning. He had no family and no home.
Speaker 15: Keep the change.
Speaker 1: Instead, he traveled to London, and over the next few hollow years he became a fixture at the Foreign Correspondence Club, a celebrity of some note who rarely spoke of his own story.
Speaker 15: May help name me Howell. He had to see Joseph Sherman. Is mister Sherman expecting it? I did cool and let him know I was coming. Let's see if.
Speaker 6: He's signed you ah, Indeed he has. He's usually at the bar in the kindle.
Speaker 15: Room, through here and on the right, Joseph, Oh, so good to see you.
Speaker 7: You too, drink, of course the usual on its way, Bill Jim Martini for miss how well. Hearing from you was an unexpected pleasure.
Speaker 15: It's been a while.
Speaker 7: Yeah, wow, I wish we saw more of each other.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not a famous Pulletzerprize winning author. I still have to work for a living.
Speaker 7: Oh, you love it, because if you'll ever stop, you die of boredom inside a week.
Speaker 6: They want me to go back to Vietnam.
Speaker 3: It's all happening now. America's stopped trying the South. Vietnamese are exhausted. Communists are steadily taking over everything. Way's fallen. The Nang will go next a lat. It's unstoppable.
Speaker 7: I didn't realize it was that bad. I don't read the news anymore.
Speaker 15: Well, they're trying to sanitize the news for well consumption. But the writing is well and truly on the wall.
Speaker 7: I guess it always was.
Speaker 15: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 3: Anyone who has enough money to leave the country is leaving the country.
Speaker 15: When it does fall, there's going to be years of chaos.
Speaker 7: And let me guess you're going back, have to.
Speaker 15: It's the story of the decade.
Speaker 7: I'm glad you took the time to come back and say goodbye.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, well I haven't. I'm not saying goodbye. That's not why i'm here.
Speaker 5: What do you mean?
Speaker 15: I'm here because you're coming with.
Speaker 6: Me back to Vietnam?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Why would I do that?
Speaker 15: Because it's your life, Joseph.
Speaker 3: Everyone you've loved everything, You've loved land too, yet Gary, it's all been in Vietnam.
Speaker 7: It's not my story, Naomi, it's theirs.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll see about that. Saigon could fall within a week or two, Joseph. It could all be over so soon. And I'm going back to film the Fall of American power. You deserve to be part of that story, because you are what was good about America and Vietnam.
Speaker 15: That should also be part of the story.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not today's story, Naomi.
Speaker 7: Really, I'm yesterday's story.
Speaker 3: So what about your granddaughter Trin she'd be what about sixteen or seventeen? Now she's still there, Joseph.
Speaker 15: What if she needs you now? What if she needs to get out?
Speaker 3: What if she's desperate to get out and can't and knows You're her only hope.
Speaker 15: Okay, is that but yesterday's story.
Speaker 7: Even if we knew that was true, which we don't, how would I find her.
Speaker 6: I have no idea where she is.
Speaker 7: I haven't heard from her in seven.
Speaker 3: Years, Joseph, look at me. You haven't heard from her, but we have what. She's with one of the communist platoons heading south towards Psychon.
Speaker 13: She's a soldier.
Speaker 3: Well, she's attached to one of the fighting units, but it doesn't sound like she really wants to be a few days ago, her platoon was going through a village about two hundred miles out of Saigon, and somehow she got a message to one of the French war correspondents who'd been covering their advance, and he knew someone who knew me.
Speaker 15: Take a look.
Speaker 11: Is that her?
Speaker 15: Is that Trin?
Speaker 3: She was desperate to get a message to you. She told the frenchman, you're her only chance of getting out of this mess. Now are you coming back to Vietnam with me?
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 12: My god.
Speaker 5: Srud Saigon is a production of Thoroughbred Studios, gold Hog Productions and iHeart Podcasts, starring Kelly, Marie Trann and Rob Benedict. Based one of the best selling novel Cygone by Anthony Gray. It is created for audio by Greg Hadrick and Jeremy Fox, written by Greg Hadrick and directed by John Scott Dryden. Original music is by Sasha Putnam, with additional performances by nor mgnir and Letty Big Cheer. Editing and sound design is by Elouise Whitmore. The series producer is Emma Hern. The producer in Vietnam is Fatmung Mihen. The executive producers are Jeremy Fox, Greg Hadrick, John Scott Dryden, Howard Stringer and Jason English.