Speaker 1: It is important to put the effort into sounding good. Not just your voice, which should sound good, but also the recording of your voice should sound good. People will forgive lower quality video than they will lower quality audio. Going to do a solo episode today, I know you guys seem to enjoy when I do these solo episodes, and I'm looking forward to this one because this one is kind of a pickup of a blog post that I wrote back in twenty eighteen on will Lucas Co, which is my website, check me out. Yeah, so I wrote this blog post entitled the gear you need if you wanted to build a highly rated podcast, and I'll even link that in the show notes, the link to that blog post, and I'll link everything I'm about to talk about in the blow in the show notes as well. But today I wanted to update that list, so we're going to talk about the gear you need to make a highly successful, highly rated podcast. And so I've been privileged to be podcasting since about twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, and previous to that, I did radio since I want to say nineteen ninety nine, back in the nineteen hundreds, nineteen ninety eight, I think actually so I've been doing this for a long time.
Speaker 2: It sounds wild to say that I've.
Speaker 1: Been doing some since the nineteen hundreds, but I guess I've been doing it since nineteen hundreds, So.
Speaker 2: You know, those things correlate.
Speaker 1: So podcasting is a lot like radio, and so having all those years of radio experience translated super duper well into podcasting. And it's not that I want to say this because I don't want people get confused like you have to have that sort of radio background to be good at podcasting, because you obviously don't. There's so many people who are successful at podcasting that have never been in a radio studio, and so I just wanted to clear that up before I went further. So I talked about a lot of things in that blog post that I will rehash today because a lot of the gear that I'm using I still like to use. And there here's what I will say about podcasting, or actually i'll start with me and equipment, and so there are three four you know, there are certain levels of equipment or software I will talk about today that will and I'll provide options. So if you want to have the expensive option, I'll provide that the middle of the row option, I'll provide that, and the inexpensive option, I will write that or say that also. And so, but what's important to know at least about me. I don't know how you work, but this is how I work. I struggle to produce creative product, creative outcomes with cheap stuff. It's just really difficult for me to do that. And so I remember when I was learn I'm a musician, so when I was learning to play drums, I needed to learn on a quality drum set. Because I'm playing on a cheap drum set. I just couldn't get it. And so maybe you don't have that issue. But if I'm learning how to do something, I need quality tools to learn how to do it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Once I got it, then I can go use whatever and I can do it the thing on whatever. But it's difficult for me to learn using cheap stuff. And not to say that everything that's inexpensive is cheap, I'm just saying that. There are a whole lot of blaw posts, a whole lot of podcasts about you know, you can do certain things just using your phone, and you can do certain things, you know, going completely free. And while that may be completely true, I don't learn that way. It's difficult for me to produce a podcast just using my phone, although that is extremely popular, I see need to say popular. It's possible you can produce a podcast just using your phone. Now, with that said, I don't know anybody who has a super successful podcast and just does it using their phone, and so you can start that way. And I think it's necessary to get reps in by using the tools that you have at your disposal and not investing a whole bunch of money or a whole bunch of things into something that you're not going to be serious about anyway. So I do think there's value in using the tools that you already have at your exposal. But I think it's more important to prove to yourself and to the world that you are serious and that you're going to do this thing before you have all the dollars invested into it.
Speaker 2: So I think it's.
Speaker 1: More important to do it that way, and more so proving that you are in this to win it, versus thinking that you're going to scale a big podcast just using a limited amount of tools. I just don't know people who do that, and so I'm just being honest.
Speaker 2: With y'all. So we talk about that, talk about us, you.
Speaker 1: Know, setting up your phone and doing things, you know, talking into the audio recorder. Start that way, completely fine, and I encourage you to do that. I will advise people to do that, But it's not necessarily again to belabor the point, and unintentionally, it's not necessarily because I believe that you're gonna win that way.
Speaker 2: I just think that it.
Speaker 1: Is an important step to proving that you are serious about this. So what I'm saying that all that to say is I did mention I have a radio background, and so I had the privilege or else. I have a marketing and video production company, so I have the privilege of already having a lot of the equipment. When I decided to go and start doing a podcast, already had a bunch of equipment. I already had computers, I already had keyboards and instruments, and I already had recording devices. And so for me, like that's just a playground that I have the privilege to play in. And so not everybody has that. And so again we're gonna talk about all these tools. So I want to start here talking about just that very thing, recording software, and so I'm going to give you a couple of different levels. Most of all of these things that I'm going to talk about today, I have, and I'm even gonna do a video version of this podcast, so you'll be able to check this out on YouTube and actually see all the stuff. But I record, I'm start with the higher end stuff, and then I'll talk about the middle of the row, and then I'll talk about the inexpensive end or free options. I record using Apple Logic Pro, and so I record using that because I learned how to record using things like pro Tools and Apple Logic, and so if I were to start over again, there are way more tools available on the market today that you can use to record, especially recording yourself and or you know, guests, if you're going to have a guest podcast. There are way more things on the market today because podcasting is way bigger than it was when I started that. Are you know these things are available to you, and are you know you can amazon it? You'll have it tomorrow. But Apple Logic Pro is one of the things that I record, the only thing I pretty much record or I should say edit with, because I records using a couple of different things but editing, particularly I record using.
Speaker 2: Apple Logic Pro is powerful.
Speaker 1: It does way more than than it's necessary to podcast because it's designed for you know, audio production in a big way, So you can do everything from scoring movies on it to doing you know, music making beats on it. But just to be clear, it's very powerful also for recording your voice and voices of people you may be interviewing on your show. So what's important to me is that I have an interface that is very easy to use. And so sometimes, because I've been doing this for a long time, I will go through and you know, when I'm recording, I can see the waveform of my voice, and so I've been doing this so long, I can look get the waveform and find things that don't make sense because I know how a voice should look in wave form. And so when I see a quick little spike in the audio and there's not something anything to the left or right of it, that's probably either a click in a voice something like that, or something like that, and I can just go and quickly edit that out super duper fast without even listening back to it, cause I know what it looks like. Is I've been doing this for a long time. So Aple Logic Pro I believe right now is like two hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: You can get it.
Speaker 1: And what's cool about it is it's not like most software anymore where you're paying monthly for. It's like a subscription that never ends. Like once you buy Apple Logic, you have Apple Logic and you don't have to have a subscription necessarily. So I'm actually, you know, in I kind of don't like that about today's world, especially as a consumer, maybe a producer, but not as a consumer. Having you can't just buy software you know, so often anymore, y there's a subscription for which is whack.
Speaker 2: But I digress.
Speaker 1: So if you don't want to spend that much on an audio editor and or recorder, because you can do both in Apple Logic. You have things like Adobe Audition, which I also have, I just don't use it because I don't love I shouldn't say because of people from Adobe listening to this. I just I'm not a big Adobe fan, and I kind of see Adobe a lot like I see a lot of Microsoft products. They just don't work for the way my brain works. Apple products work way better for the way my brain works. But with I said, I do have Adobe's Creative Cloud because my video production team works a lot in Premiere and it's the only reason I have Adobe Creative Cloud because even like the designs I want to have anymore, I can do a lot of that in Canva. And so Adobe Creative Cloud comes with Adobe Audition, which is a doll which means digital audio workstation. Adobe Audition is a doll which you can can use to record and edit your voice and the voices of your guests, and you can do that very easily. Again, it comes as part of the Creative Cloud. So if you have Adobe Creative Cloud, you can probably already download this as part of the suite of tools you have. So I mean you get Adobe Premiere, you get Adobe Photoshop Illustrator, all these things, and an audition depending on which level of the Creative Cloud you subscribe to from Adobe Audition from Adobe. I'm sorry, but as part of the Creative Cloud. There's different versions of this, especially if you're in school, you can get a discount for the Creative Cloud, but you know there are versions where you can get like twenty one dollars a month and you can get Adobe Audition for that. On the free side, there's programs like Audacity, which I've used before. Again, it's kind of a scaled back version of both Apple Logic and Audition, but for the most part, for most people, it will work and it's free. And so it's an open source audio editing you know software, and so it's free to use. You can learn it pretty quickly, and you can export your audio edit your audio record into it, you know, and we'll talk about the tools you'll need to record into it in a moment, but you can do all that with Audacity and it's free. And then going from there we talk about hardware recorders.
Speaker 2: So I mentioned.
Speaker 1: Recording software when I'm talking about Apologic, Audition and Audacity, but I pretty I don't record into software often. Right right now, I'm recording into software because I'm not interviewing anybody. But if i am interviewing somebody, I'm going to use an external recorder just because of the way my setup is designed. And if you ask twenty different people on podcasting setups, you will get twenty different answers. I'm telling you what Lucas does, and so I've been doing this for in my own experience for a long time.
Speaker 2: This is what I do.
Speaker 1: It works for me, and it probably would work for you also, But external recorders. The most important thing you learn when you start recording audio or video or writing documents.
Speaker 2: Is saving it. Because what you.
Speaker 1: Will find is when you have a machine that is doing you know where you input the work into the machine. If you don't save it, you will lose work. And it raised your hand. If you've ever lost work, you see technology before. And so I like to use external recorders because if I'm recording directly into matter of fact, while I'm saying that I'm gonna save this, which I can do while I'm recording, and then I have to stop and actually even to the program crash, it will likely save an AUTOSI, an auto save version. So it's less likely I will lose it if my computer crash right now or the software crash, but it's still possible. So going back to hardware, I personally am a big fan of recording into a dedicated device. And the reason why is because again I'm gonna say this a hundred times, I've been doing this a long time, and when you've been doing certain things for a long time, there you develop these habits or ticks because of the things you've experienced to where you don't like to do things other ways. And the reason I don't like to record directly into computers is because computers do crash. Not that other hardware does not crash, but through hardware is probably only doing one thing. It's just accepting your audio and it's recording it. That's probably all it's doing. Your computer is doing probably twenty thirty forty one hundred other things at the same time, is trying to record your stuff. Hear your stuff, record your stuff, display your stuff, all all of those things and even more stuff. You probably got tabs open in the background, and all these things open up more gateways for things.
Speaker 2: To go wrong.
Speaker 1: And so I prefer to record using an external device that is just doing what I'm asking you to do.
Speaker 2: Record.
Speaker 1: So I record, for the most part, especially when I'm doing an interview, I record using a zoom Age six, which is a six track portable recorder. I can carry it with this little case. It's like a size of a book, and the case of the size of a book. The device is half the size of a book with wise at least, and I can plug different microphones into it, so I can add six different tracks, and so if I'm interviewing somebody, I can be interviewing several different people at one time, and each of them have their own volume. So let's say I'm sitting in front of three other people and one person talks really really loud, other person talks really really quietly. I can turn the person whose voice is really quiet up louder and while keeping the person who talks loud their volume down lower, recording them that way because you know you want independent So I've used to it when I was didn't have a lot of money. I was trying to record using you know, one singular input, and you can control the various volumes people talk at because everybody's being recorded to one channel and so you can't like splice out one person's voice from another. But if you're recording on different tracks and then you import that audio into a doll like Adobe or you know final cut sorry Logic like I use, then you can see everybody's voice on their independent channel, and I can make tweaks to your voice without touching mind. So it's super super important and also has phantom power, which means I can plug a microphone into it that is not necessarily powered itself. It's not like I can't unplug it into a wall. But this microphone is just a microphone and it needs power from some source. And so the Zoom eighty six has phantom power on it, which is what it's called when you need the power a microphone, so it will provide the power your microphone needs to be able to accept your voice. And you're recording directly to an SD card, so the audio is not being record record it to the device. You are putting in another SD card into the device which it's recording to.
Speaker 2: So it's another.
Speaker 1: Level there of security for the audio that you are interested in capturing. The device I don't have, but I think it is a really really cool device. Is a road Caster Pro. I've used it, I've seen other people use it. It's amazing for podcasts recording. It's pretty much a whole podcast studio in one. And what I love about the road Caster Pro is not only can you you know, use Bluetooth with it, but it has programmable sound pads. So let's say you are, you know, recording a podcast where you want to have sound effects. You know, these are just pads that you can trigger at any moment and give yourself like an audience clap or laugh or you know, a trumpet or a fire truck horn, and you can program all these sound effects into it and trigger them, you know, at the push of a button, and all of that stuff happens in the recording in real time.
Speaker 2: Suber super cool. And then the inexpensive route, I mean.
Speaker 1: So I should go back. Actually, so the zoom A six which I use, is about three hundred and fifty bucks. The road Castered Pro a little bit more expensive. That's about six hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: There are different versions of it, so you don't have to have the Pro, but the the task Cam DRO five, which I have, also is one hundred dollars. And the task Cam what's cool about it, it's compact, it's more affordable. It's about one hundred dollars, and it has microphones built into it, so stereo microphones which are built into it, so you can legit, just pull out the device, hold it in your hand, and record people right into the device, so you don't even need an external microphone because they're built into it. And it also records into a Nest card. So it's a great choice for people who are beginning and just trying to figure out if podcasting is for them or if you just don't want to spend a bunch of money on this equipment and you just got something saying you gotta get it out. Rove is a good solution for you. So let's talk about microphones, because I did talk about this on.
Speaker 2: The blog posts. Because the each.
Speaker 1: Of the microphones I'm about to mention to you I have now, and the first one, which is the more expensive one, I did not have when I wrote the blog post, but it is the Sure SM seven B. It's like a four hundred dollars microphone, and I love this microphone. It's my favorite microphone out of everyone that I have. It is because it's excellent for vocals spoken word, and it's not necessarily designed for much anything else than that it is.
Speaker 2: Designed for voices.
Speaker 1: I'm actually not even using that microphone in this moment, but I love the microphone not only because it sounds amazing, but it also looks amazing when you are recording and recording video at the same time a low profile, it's kind of stocky. It's just it's a beautiful microphone to look at. And then the one I'm actually recording on right now is a microphone I've had, almost, if not since I started doing podcasts at all. I think I've had this microphone since like the the two thousands, like the first decade of the generation. So the road in T one, which I'm recording on right now, is the studio microphone.
Speaker 2: It's super dupe.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've had to think for a long time. Its super duper durable. I don't beat it up, cause you know, I take care of my stuff. But it's also good for musicians. So I talked about the uh SM seven B, which is great for vocals. The NT one, which I'm recording to right now, is versatile, so you can use it for audio I'm sorry now audio. You can use it for vocals and if you're trying to sing into it, if you're trying to record UH acoustic instruments into it. You can use this NT one also, But it sounds amazing too. It's just not it's a it's a studio microphone, so it's not as necessarily designed for people who are just doing podcasts like the SM seven B is. If you're doing spoken word, that'sh your microphone. But you can also do this with the Sindheiser E eight thirty five, which you also have, and we actually use that microphone as the general house microphone.
Speaker 2: For Lucille's, which is my jazz club that I have.
Speaker 1: And so the eaight thirty five is a vocal microphone also, but it's super duper rugged. I cannot tell you how many times that I've seen that microphone dropped. I mean, we have like ten of them, but I've seen them dropped, beat up, you know, these things get dinged up. They are great for live performers and even in person interviews because if you're out on the streets and you're doing in person interviews, you're probably gonna beat the mic up.
Speaker 2: A little bit. But the EA thirty five, so.
Speaker 1: Like one hundred dollars microphone, still sounds amazing, travels super duper well, and it just it just handles rough environments way way well, way more well than like they rolled in T one ever would because it's just not designed for traveling that way. It's a studio microphone. It's designed to be mounted and left alone. So that's it on microphones. And again, I will put all this stuff in the show notes, and I'm probably even update the blog post to to give you a new version of that since it was sick. Ke here, since I did the last one. So let's talk about interfaces because sometimes people believe, hey, I have a computer and I have a microphone, I'm ready to rock. Well that depends because certain microphones, your computer can't read the audio, and so we're gonna talk about that because you need an audio interface. You need something that goes that sits in between the microphone and the computer, and that's called an audio interface. It converts the analog signal of your voice, which your microphone can accept, into a digital signal that your computer can process. Often they also improve sound quality. But the point of the interface is to translate. It's the translator. It's the person that if you go to a different country, they speak a different language. The translator is the person that sits in between you guys, hearing what you say, translating it for them to understand. So the interface is the translator. So I'm speaking, and I'm speaking analog because my voice is an analog tool and then or analog sound maybe that's a better way to say it. Analog sound. My computer can't read my voice, and so the interface does that. The Focus right. Scarlet two I too is a device that I have. It's popular, it's easy to use, super high quality sound. I can put two microphones into it. I can put instruments into it, and it's super great for podcasters people who are recording at home, and it's reliable. You know, it's very hard to not get right because it's designed to be simple and it has fanom power on it, which I also mentioned about the Zoommate six. But if I'm recording directly in my computer, which I want to do sometimes like today, I can just use the audio interface and it can translate the NT one which I'm using as a microphone, into something the computer logic can read. So to I two, which is the Focus by Scarlet super duer popular. This one's like one hundred and fifty bucks. Then there's like the Bearringer Euphoria. I particularly talk about the UMC two zero two HD. And the reason I'm bringing this one up and there are other options Barringer provides, is because I want to kind of give it like an Apple to Apple. So this one also has the two inputs, so I can put two microphones into it if I'm talking to somebody on my episode. I like Bearringer products for beginners because they are designed pretty durably, pretty simple, and they try to give you the bells and whistles that more expensive tools give you, just without the costs. So obviously they're not made with as high grade mechanicals or materials, I should say.
Speaker 2: But they're good. They're really good.
Speaker 1: And so if you don't want to spend two times the price a beer injury product will work super well. And that doesn't mean that they're not quality things, they're just not you know, their budget contest.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: Okay, then we could talk about this also because I mentioned the point of a an interface is to give you the ability to translate. It's the mediator between your voice and the computer. There are some microphones which are digital microphones, and I have the Blue Yetti also which I like that microphone a lot. I don't use it when I'm recording the guests, but I use it if I'm just talking into the computer and just need to record something real quick. It's more of like my you know, on the fly, Hey I got to record something.
Speaker 2: Keep it moving. And so the U it's a USB microphone.
Speaker 1: It eliminates the need for interface altogether because it's just got a USB connection and it's plug and play. You don't have to download any software to use it. You know, you plug it in, it's ready to rock. And it was double bato YETI is. It also has a headphone jack, so you can hear directly what's coming out, and so you you could plug your headphones into the computer and hear what it's hearing. But you can also plug right into the microphone to hear what you can your microphone is hearing super dope and that you ADDI YETI is somewhere like one hundred and thirty bucks somewhere around there. And again for I said this about five times. I'm gonna put all these links in the show notes.
Speaker 2: Storage.
Speaker 1: I mentioned saving to you a minute ago, and it is saving. What is the point of creating if you can't save it? And there have been many heartaches I've had because I produced something that was beautiful and it did not save and it's lost forever. Reliable storage solutions is of utmost importance. And you don't want to just store things in equipment or on a computer that is vulnerable, and so you want to record things in this stored preferably in more than one place, because just to have less points of fault. And so if anything ever happened in your computer, or you ran out of room, or you need to free up space or all the other things, you have your media your content stored on a device. So even if you are using the computer to store your stuff, highly recommend also recording it off the computer in a device like the Lace Rugged USBC drive, which I use. I have a four teara byte one. I think I have a couple four teara byte ones. There are bigger ones.
Speaker 2: Like eight terabytes. I just have a couple of four.
Speaker 1: Teabyte ones because that's really all I needed for I'm not personally storing a lot of video online. My team does on their but they have NAS devices. But I am storing most of my audio files on one of these Lacey Rugged devices. Now, the important thing is this space, obviously, and typically when I'm recording an audio only podcast, the audio each my voice and the guest voice might each be If it's a half an hour thirty five to forty five minute podcast, my audio might be one hundred and eighty megabytes. Their audio may be one hundred and eighty megabytes. I got plenty of space for several seasons of a podcast in afford hereabout device and it's rugged and so there are no moving parts in a Lacey rugged device. You know, hard drives back in the day used to have a little you know, disc in them that would spin and you could hear them when you plug them in, and they would store your stuff pretty much on a CD. That's pretty much like what it was. These Lacey devices are a solid state there SSDs, so there are no moving parts in the laceys, which makes it way more secure and less vulnerable. And as a byproduct of being having no moving parts, it's also faster and so highly recommend.
Speaker 2: The lace rugged drives.
Speaker 1: Then we can talk about things like Dropbox and Google Drive, which are both sweet. I have subscriptions to both which over time I will probably move all my.
Speaker 2: Stuff over to the drop Box. I just had Drive for a very long time, so it's lots of to move over.
Speaker 1: But I like Dropbox because a lot of version control. I can set a configuration for who can do what inside the drive, and I can reverse back in history to see, you know, if somebody change something, I can go back to the previous version. I like, I'm giving you versions drawn by two different ways, but you get it. I love that also, automatic backups, file sharing, all those things, obviously because it's in the cloud that can so synchronized things between devices.
Speaker 2: Google Drive is.
Speaker 1: Also dope too, and it integrates into your other Google services, so if you're using you know, Google Email or Google Calendar, all these different things.
Speaker 2: It's easy to use.
Speaker 1: So you just take your pick whichever one you like better. I'm not here to you know, k for either one of them, but whichever one you find that you like, Trybox or Google Drive. I support them both because I have subscriptions to both. And then you know, you have things like just a regular SD card which you can store your stuff.
Speaker 2: On very cost very affordably. Pretty much.
Speaker 1: What I would say is you don't want to leave your stuff on an SD card. They are small, and there is something to say about things being too small, especially when you're trying to store them for a long time.
Speaker 2: It's a lot easier to lose it.
Speaker 1: So I would recommend using an SD card to save things only for a short term. Just don't recommend saving things for a long time on a SD card. So now you got this amazing podcast recorded and you gotta distribute it to the world. How're you gonna get it out there? And so from there, I for a long time used libsn to host and distribute my podcast And so when I started up ten Podcasts, which was the one I had before Black Tech, Green Money i S, I used lipsyn And so Lipsen has a variety of different plans, from plans that are you putting out one episode a month, you know, very small size, to ones where you putting it out daily and you need analytics. Lipsyn has all of that stuff, and it starts like five bucks a month, just again depending on which one you wanna use.
Speaker 2: And it's also easy to get.
Speaker 1: Integrated with Google, Google's Podcasts platform and Apple Podcasts, cause it kind of walks you through how to get Just cause you put it on lips it doesn't mean you're automatically on those platforms. You have to connected them, and lipsn makes it easy to do that. One I have not used is Podbean, and I only mention it because I know other people who have used Podbean. I just don't know a lot about it, but it is I'm sure a lot like lipsyns. From when I'm told very user friendly, but that's pretty much all I can say about Bobby because I don't use it. The other one I have used also is SoundCloud. It's probably good in the way that you have access to a directory and so you're part of a community with other people podcasting. So it's probably easier to be found on SoundCloud versus like libsn because there's like not a community of people searching on Libsyn. That's more of like a distribution platform, and so SoundCloud people are going there to find things that they didn't produce. So I don't want to go listen to stuff, So let me go to SoundCloud and type in podcasts on politics, podcasts on technology, and you will find podcasts on politics and podcasts on technology. If you go to SoundCloud, it's not just a platform, but also you can be part of a community of people and be found there. And so Libsyn, pod being, lips and pod being and SoundCloud. You know, I'm a Lipson fan and SoundCloud fan, just depending on what you're trying to do. But today we use a platform that's more developed for corporations that have advertising partners, So I heart handles all that stuff for me today. But Lipsyn is super dope if you want to go that route, and I highly recommend it. For video, Let's say you are going to actually I'm only going to talk like for a second about video because most of the stuff I talked about today has to do with audio podcasts, and so if you want to talk about video, well, let's do that for like one minute. And so today we record videos, especially if I'm doing if I'm recording with somebody remotely. We no longer record via Zoom, which we used to do, which that's also one of the options. You can get a Zoom account for like fifteen bucks a month, but we use Riverside.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: We use riverside because riverside allows the video file to be taken from the device. So here's what happens. So when you are on like a Zoom call, you might look amazing to yourself because you're not looking at yourself via the Internet. You're looking at yourself from your camera, and the person looking at you, who's in another house, another office, another state, is looking at you, however, via the Internet, which means what you see is not what they see. You look super clear to yourself. You don't look, however, how you look to them. Riverside is different. The riverside what happens is it's recording on your local device. So what you are recording is what your computer camera or your external camera sees, not what is uploaded the web or streamed, I should say, so you get a much higher quality audio I mean video feed. And so before you close down a riverside recording, you gotta wait before all the video gets uploaded, because again it's recording from your device, not from the stream. That makes sense, Okay, I think you got it. So riverside is dope in that way. And your guests also they have they're being recorded on their side, so it's dope that way. Then if you just want to see somebody, but you're not necessarily recording.
Speaker 2: But it's you get a better.
Speaker 1: Audio recording if you guys can see each other, because there's other context clues you get by seeing their face. So Google meet is free, I mean, is you can use that just because if you want to.
Speaker 2: Get good quality.
Speaker 1: You can also screen share and do stuff like that, but I don't I've never used screen sharing in a podcast, but you can do it. I've actually never even recorded a Google Meet, so maybe you can record a Google meet. I don't know, but it's free and you can see each other and you can at least you capture the audio from there. So those are your options. On the video side, we can have another podcast on.
Speaker 2: An actual full video.
Speaker 1: Podcast if you want to go that route, which I recommend if you can do it. So I say all this to say, you know, it is easier than ever to have a podcast, a beautiful podcast, and one that people want to listen to. And so the important thing I mentioned this at the start and I will close with this also is the sound matters, and no matter what people say about you can start using any tool in front of you. It is important to put the effort into sounding good, not just your voice which should sound good, but also the record of your voice should sound good.
Speaker 2: People will forgive lower.
Speaker 1: Quality video, then they will lower quality audio. If you have a video that is not the best quality in video clarity production, but the audio is still good, you will continue watching if the content is there. Now, if the video is amazing but the audio sounds terrible, you may actually turn it off a lot faster because the audio sounds like garbage. And so it is important to put the work in to get high quality audio even before you put the work into getting higher quality video. And so I admonish you to do the work in that respect. Again, you can use all of these tools. Again, I don't know big podcasters who record using a lot of the tools they tell y'all that you can use. The point is not that, though. The point is that you can start and you can get going doing these things. But there is a graduation that happens inevitably if you start to get good at it and you start to get more invested in it. And so if you are just starting, I encourage you highly to just start with the tools in front of you. Start with your audio recorder on your iPhone, Start with you know, one of.
Speaker 2: These subscription services to just software.
Speaker 1: Online that you can edit and use AI and all these things to edit your stuff down. I encourage you to do that. As the bigger your podcast get, at least today, not in a year from now when AI gets even more crazy, I would probably have to change this whole episode. But for today, there are things that you should need to do. Things you need to do well in order to have your podcast be coveted by the masses. So with all that said, I appreciate y'all listening again. I will put all of these links in the show notes. You got any questions, you know where to give me. I'm at Will Lucas on IG on all them things, but I G is probably the best place to find me at Will Lucas, W I.
Speaker 2: L L l U c A S.
Speaker 1: Encourage you to send me a DM, drop a note in the comments because I want to talk about this on my feed and so yeah, it's good talk to y'all. Black Tech Green Money is a production of Blavity Afro Tech on Black Effect podcast Networking Nightheart Media, and it's produced by Morgan Debond and me Will Lucas. The additional production support by Kate McDonald and Jada McGee.
Speaker 2: Special thanking to Michael Davis since Sarah Ergan.
Speaker 1: Learn more about my guests and other technist others an innovators at afrotech dot com.
Speaker 2: Enjoying Black Tech Green Money. Share this with somebody, Go get your money. Pace in love
Speaker 1: Can do to me