Speaker 1: Hi everyone. I'm Holly Robinson, pete actor, author, advocate, do it all mom, and I'm also a caregiver. And this is care Walks, a podcast from iHeartRadio and Voltaian Arthritis Pain Gel. It's a show for family caregivers who give everything to everyone and need to make time for themselves through movement. Every episode is designed for you to walk as you listen, so just think of me and my guests as your weekly walking buddies. We'll hear stories from caregivers and gain tips and insights from health experts and advocates who know how important it is to take care of yourself and manage joint pain due to arthritis that often accompanies being a caregiver. We'll discover community ourselves and maybe even alleviate some joint pain due to arthritis in the process as we walk together and connect to the best parts of being a caregiver. So thanks for joining us on what will be another great episode of care Walks. How has your week been? Were you able to take some time for yourself? Don't forget to lean on your support systems and find ways to connect and reconnect with the people and activities you love outside of your caregiving responsibilities. Just a reminder. Right now you're listening to the full version of this episode, but if you don't have time for a full walk today, then go check out our bridged version of this same episode. It's like cliff notes for podcasts. I asked earlier about connecting with others, and that's because today's episode is all about the importance of finding and maintaining a community as a caregiver. It's so easy to become an island and feel like you're all by yourself in this role, and that isolation can lead to depression. When I was younger, I didn't realize how much caregiver isolation was affecting me. And that's why I'm so glad that we can share care walks together, because you don't have to do this all on your own. Today, I'll be joined by caregiver Lakita Castin. Lakita has served as a caregiver to multiple family members. In her first two caregiving experiences with her aunt and uncle, Lakita frequently felt alone and without any support. When another aunt of hers became ill, she was determined to make sure her cousin didn't go through the same sense of isolation.
Speaker 2: She did.
Speaker 1: Lakda volunteered to help her cousin and her aunt, and she is now taking on a new mission with her organization, caring for caregivers. Before we get to my conversation with Lakita, let's get walking. A great mantra for today's conversation will be I am stronger when I ask for help. Whenever your to do list pops up during this walk, say that to yourself, I am stronger when I ask ask for help. Feel your feet connecting with the ground on each step. What do you notice about the way each part of your body works together to keep you in movement. Your feet can't do all the work. They connect with your knees, your arms, your lungs, all working in harmony. Let's take a couple of deep breaths together, In through the nose, out through the mouth, one more time, In through your nose and out through your mouth. If you're someone who is responsible for the care of someone in your life, you know that sometimes it can feel incredibly isolating, but you are not alone. With each step you take, think about someone who has been there for you. How do you feel when you let someone support you the same way you support others? Now, as you start to settle into your pace and your breath, remember to stay present in this moment. And when you start to think about your daily to do list again, remember today's mantra, I am stronger when I ask for help. Keep moving and give yourself time to recharge. I'm going to be there in your ear, keeping you company. Alongside our guest and fellow caregiver, Lakita Castin. I'm here with Lakita Castin. Lakita is a family caregiver based in Detroit. Lakita first began her caregiving journey when her aunt reached out looking for help caring for Lakita's uncle. Shortly after, her aunt passed away from cancer, but Lakda stayed in Baton Rouge and cared for her uncle alone for five years as you battled Alzheimer's disease. Today, Lakita is still caring for her family members, but no longer alone. She supports her cousin as they care for his mother together and build the organization Caring for Caregivers, which provides support and respite to family caregivers. Lakita, Welcome to care Walks.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you. I'm so happy to be here.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to have you, so could you tell us about how you first became a caregiver.
Speaker 2: It was the most extraordinary thing. My aunt was ill.
Speaker 3: I didn't know how ill she was, and she called me one day. I was living in Illinois. She called me one day and said, you know what, I need somebody here. Your uncle and I are getting a little older and we need somebody staying in the house. Could you come down and help us out? And so I came down and two weeks later she passed away. She had stage four lung cancer. She was singer, so she sounded so strong over the phone. No one knew she was as ill as she was. And when I got down there, I saw her how emaciated she was. It kind of a It scared me a little bit, but if you knew her life, you would know that she had lived a wonderful life. It was just amazing to see the love that she had for her husband. She told me that he was suffering from short term memory loss, but I found out that it was Alzheimer's and he was doing pretty well, pretty good at first, but it became worse and worse, of course as years went by.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you got that chance to be with her. She sounded like an amazing woman, your aunt, just the fact that she reached out and you were able to come and connect with her, and then you shifted your focus to her husband, your uncle.
Speaker 3: Yes, my uncle was a very very intelligent man. He was a of engineering at Southern University, and I was not used to him being the way he was, so to watch him decline that way was a bit unnerving, But every day you have to get used to a new normal. But I got to know him in a way that I I don't think anyone else knew him, and that was a consoling thought for me.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, what would you say that caregiving means to you, Lakita?
Speaker 3: Caregiving means giving back to the people and your life who have given so much to you. My aunt and my uncle were amazing human beings. They didn't have children, so they gave to us. I would get tickets to her show she sang in Porking Bess at the Metropolitan Opera. He traveled the world, and there were always little gifts and things that they would send to us as nieces and nephews of their sisters and brothers. And they gave so much of themselves to everyone else that you have to give back to those people. And that's what family caregiving means to me. Even now I have a cousin he is the only child, and watching him trying to care for my aunt, I really said, no, I can't have him go through what I went through by myself. So I just kind of moved back here.
Speaker 1: What do you wish that you knew before you became a caregiver.
Speaker 3: Miss Holly, Let me tell you. I wish that I knew things that I still don't know. I want to know everything about the disease I'm still learning. I want to know everything about the disease. I want to know what the elements. I want to know where doctors. I want to know everything, and I still don't know everything. What I will say is self care is important. That you make sure you take care of yourself. That's one thing that I wish I had done a lot better.
Speaker 2: Make sure that I take my walks, make sure that I.
Speaker 3: Get to the gym when I can, make sure my doctor's visits are scheduled and that I keep them. Those are the things that I want to tell other care care for as family caregivers.
Speaker 1: Yes, aimen to that. That's you know, as I'm asking you these questions, I'm answering myself in my head. And that is the number one thing I wish I knew too, just to take a little bit better care of myself while I was caring for my dad. It's so difficult and if you can't hold up, you can't hold up others. So you need to hold yourself up and care for yourself.
Speaker 3: If you know anything about caring for anybody, you know that that person needs to get out the house. You know that person probably has laundry that needs to be done. Don't wait for them to ask. Just come over, drop off a meal. I was telling somebody, just drop off. It would be nice if somebody.
Speaker 2: Would just drop off ham, you know, some chicken. Just drop it off, so maybe I don't have to cook.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is true, That is true. But I think my takeaway is that I should have asked. Even though I felt like my brother should have known he saw what I was dealing with. I should have picked up the phone and said, I need help? Can you bring me some food? And I think that we have to self advocate because we can't expect other people to That's true, just you know, just.
Speaker 2: To have that mindset. Yeah, that's true. That's true.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that you were on your own as a caregiver in Baton Rouge, and since then have you been able to talk to your friends and your family about your feelings and your experience.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have, And as a matter of fact, my daughters would come and visit me when they could. We all live in separate states, so they came and visited when they could, and they would give me a break or let me go for a weekend just to get some rest, because that's what's needed. I started Caring for Caregivers, a foundation where I want to supply respee care for family caregivers and that's it. Maybe they need a massage in home massage or hair done, just something to make them feel like themselves. They're not always a caregiver every single moment of every single day, because that's what you are as a family caregiver.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, Caring for Caregivers sounds like an awesome resource, just an opportunity just find community.
Speaker 2: And yes, that was.
Speaker 1: Something that I wish I had. I found it was very difficult to find resources for caregiver support. Yes, I felt very isolated. So how would you suggest caregiver's best combat feelings of isolation?
Speaker 3: The way I did it was going back to something that I loved when I was younger. I went to cast Tech here where I majored in performing arts. And of course I couldn't do that there in Bad and Rouge, I couldn't really do a lot of theatrical things. But I became a costume designer for community theater there, so I did a lot of costume design and then I ended up acting. And that was the one thing that my uncle would stand still for. He would love to go because my aunt was not O for sinker. He would love to go to the theater and just sit and watch. It doesn't matter whether it was rehearsals. And that was one thing that was constant. And then isn't it wonderful? Your theater community is amazing. They're all family, so they would sit there with them. He became everyone's uncle and it was amazing how they treated him. The first role that I played in was Dot by Coleman Domingo, and it's about a woman who has Alzheimer's.
Speaker 2: Wow, And it was so prophetic. It was amazing.
Speaker 3: I was able to like channel some things from him and totally understand where that character came from. So I loved how everyone rallied around my uncle, and I loved how I was able to do that and he was able to see it. I don't know whether he understood everything about it, but he always had a kiss on the cheek from me when I came off stage, and.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm cheering up from that.
Speaker 1: Wow, Oh that's so emotional. That's that's a great memory. Though, that's a great memory. We'll be right back with more from Lakita Caston. And now back to my conversation with Lakita Castin. So let's talk a little bit about self care. Tell me what you do, what's your me time? What does that look like?
Speaker 3: My me time is is writing and reading to my end. And actually I just wrote a screenplay called Decline about a woman's decline while she's being a caregiver, and it got selected into film festivals, so hopefully I'll be able.
Speaker 2: To get it produced.
Speaker 3: And it's just a short film, it's nothing major, but I want to be able to show that to people, the effects that caregiving has on a person when they're with another person who needs the constantly every single day.
Speaker 1: And Lookita, how has that writing? How is writing decline? How has that been cathartic or therapeutic for you? It got so.
Speaker 2: Much out of me.
Speaker 3: It got so much out I was able to write down in words the things that I was feeling, the things that I was going through, and hopefully when people see it or read it, they can identify with. And even people who are not able to identify with caregiving now family caregiving now they can look at it and say, Okay, I understand and I will be able to do better with my own family or my own person that I'm caring for.
Speaker 2: So that has helped me.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that finding a community theater when you are taking care of your uncle, and then you've also written this screenplay as well. How has art made you feel less isolated as a caregiver?
Speaker 3: Art is something that I don't know how anyone else feels about it, But in my lowest moments, in the days when I'm down, I can look at beautiful dance, read a wonderful book, see a painting that just makes you want to cry, and it opens up a whole.
Speaker 2: New world to you.
Speaker 3: Not only that art as therapy music something that is wonderful for people with Alzheimer's and or dementia. When I couldn't relate to my uncle in any kind of way, I would put on some classical music and oh that man, he would calm down. And he was a big man too, he is about six foot six foot one. And when he didn't want to do something, he didn't want to do it, or he didn't want to eat something, he didn't want to eat it.
Speaker 2: But when I would put on music.
Speaker 3: His whole demeanor would change. And that's just what art does. Art moves people, no matter what frame of mind you have.
Speaker 1: It can move. Yes, for my dad it was Ray Charles. If I put some Ray Charles on, he would perk up, Oh my god, everything about Ray Charles Andy and listen to it. Yes, it was, I mean Ray Charles was everything. And so I totally understand how that music in the arts can really penetrate all of these situations that are happening. And I love hearing that. And so, how has your approach to caregiving and being a caregiver evolved and changed? We talked about, you know, letting people know what you need, and that was certainly something that if I could go back and be in that situation again, I would have maybe advocated for myself a little more. But what would you say how your approach has changed from the time you first became a caregiver.
Speaker 3: Don't feel like I have to take everything on and don't take things personally. There is always a little bit of ego in everything that we do. It has to be done this way, it has to be done that way. Just let things go. Don't feel like you have to do everything. And that's how I feel now with my aunt and with my cousin, who is wonderful. That's one thing I'll invite more people in.
Speaker 1: Yes. And the patience, right, So patience is Yes, it's something that I learned. I didn't think I had the patience to be a caregiver, no long term, but you develop it, you develop it, and it's something that is very, very tangible. You don't know how impatient you are until you have to be patient. Yes, that was another thing that did you find that you had to really develop your patience muscle.
Speaker 2: Yes, and did even more so than you do with the children.
Speaker 3: I know you have children that I have three girls, and children are different than grown adults. You know, of course, they're setting their ways and we're setting our ways.
Speaker 1: But so there's.
Speaker 2: Always a conflict.
Speaker 3: There's always a little bit more of a conflict, I think when you're dealing with adult family who needs more assistance.
Speaker 2: So, yes, patience is more than a virtue.
Speaker 1: You have to work at it. You really have to work at it. And it's a process.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So on top of the emotional dedication that caregiving requires, there's a lot of physical work. You're lifting, you're you're walking, you're running, you're chasing, You're doing so much stuff. I wanted to know how how has that affected your body and furthermore, how has it affected your joint pain.
Speaker 2: It's been a struggle.
Speaker 3: Some days are are better than others, but still I'm a little up there in age, so it's more of a struggle.
Speaker 2: And that's where self care comes in.
Speaker 3: Of course, you have to exercise, you have to keep on your routines that you do for yourself in order to keep your body in shape.
Speaker 2: In order to do these things that you need to do for your loved one.
Speaker 1: You really do you push through the physicality, right, So if you're hurting and your joints are hurting, or you're not feeling good physically, you just push through it. And that's that's where we have to stop as caregivers and really recognize that we have to take care of ourselves in a real tangible way as caregivers. We just have to pay attention.
Speaker 3: Fifty nine percent of family caregivers they suffer from, like you were saying earlier, isolation and depression. And if you're depressed, you don't know how to push through sometimes, so getting that outside to help, the therapy, the support groups, if you can find one, it's very important so that you can push the isolation and depression.
Speaker 1: Yes, the isolation is something that rarely is talked about in our caregiver community. I don't ever remember talking about isolation or feeling isolated and during my caregiving years, and I started caregiving at very young age at nineteen for my dad. Oh wow, Yeah, I was nineteen years old when he got parking since disease. And I never discussed the isolation. Now I was young, you know, fifty seven now, So.
Speaker 2: I bet you cried about it. I bet you cried about it.
Speaker 1: I did, And it manifested itself in other ways, right, it came out in other ways and other conversations. It was really more about the frustration and the sadness I had about my father and how he was. His body was degenerating and with his punkinsins and he also had dementia, so that was difficult at the same time. But being so young, you know, I absorbed a lot of it. Wow, But I did. I did emotionally feel that I probably could have really used some help and be able to find somewhere in the community that I could talk about the isolation I was feeling.
Speaker 2: I remember your father, I remember him.
Speaker 1: On Oh my Daddy, the og the original Gordon on Street. Yeah, you have to be you'd have to be a certain age to remember my dad's Gordon from sixty nine to seventy three. But yes, he was like America's father for a while. It was really an amazing time. He was a remarkable man and got Parkinson so young in his forties and it was just pretty difficult, Yeah, really difficult, And I didn't There was no no search engines back then, so I couldn't really get much information about it. My question for you is when when do you know you need to reach out to others for help or support? What are what are the signs.
Speaker 3: I think when you're angry, the frustration kicks in. I think that's when you need to make sure that you reach out, because God bless them. There were some days that I was just like, would you please just do as I asked, Let's get this done. That's why I said earlier, I'm sure I'm not going to be that picky about things that need to be exactly the way you're gonna put on these socks, you're gonna put on these pants. You know what you want to wear, You're underwear outside your Jim shortz.
Speaker 2: We're not going anywhere today.
Speaker 3: Fine, but yeah, just when you start getting so frustrated that you're frustrated at your loved one and you're frustrated at yourself, that's when you need to go out and you need to talk, and you need to talk to someone quickly.
Speaker 1: And how important is it for you to talk to and connect with other caregivers like minded people. I mean, I'm just having a great time talking to you because I feel like we get each other right, We understand what we've been through, what we're going through. I first went to a caregiver support group when I was about nineteen or twenty and I felt so good after talking to other caregivers and other families dealing with Parkinson's at the time, I felt so heard and seen. Really felt like that helped me early on. So I always encourage caregivers to get together and talk.
Speaker 3: Most definitely because didn't you feel a little bit. I don't know about you, but I felt a little awkward even when I took my uncle out.
Speaker 2: Not awkward about him and his condition.
Speaker 3: I felt awkward that other people would look at him or maybe laugh or or I just felt like I didn't want him to be judged, and I didn't want me to be judged. I just didn't like the idea of someone mocking him. So I love to be able to be around people who understood the situation and there was no judgment.
Speaker 1: Even though caregiving can have a big mental and physical demand. We've talked about that. What have been some of your favorite parts of being a caregiver?
Speaker 3: Getting to know me, knowing who I am and what I'm capable of. Days that I didn't think i'd have the strength to do certain things, I found out I was able to do it and I was able to persevere.
Speaker 1: I love that. Wow, this has been a great interview, and again, so many years ago, I would never even be able to have a podcast. Well they didn't have podcasts back then. But even on the radio and even on TV, you didn't hear caregivers talking to each other about what they're experiencing and caring for a loved one and what that brings. So I've really enjoyed this conversation and I'm so glad to meet you and connect with you. And wow, I just hope that we are able to connect again. And when you get caring for caregivers up and going, please let me know I'll definitely amplify it for you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I do appreciate that you're welcome, and it's been wonderful speaking with you too.
Speaker 2: I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 3: I really am.
Speaker 2: I did not know you started this at nineteen years old.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I could have handled it, but oh my goodness, I'm proud of you. Thank you, and look at how much you are thriving. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You know, when I was nineteen, I did a lot of people didn't say that to me. They didn't say, oh, you know, you're doing a great job. I'm proud of you, and I think that was part of my you know, I just I think I was just supposed to take care of my daddy. That was my job. And I really appreciate you saying that.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I am.
Speaker 1: It was a lot of work, but it was so worth it. It is. Thank you so much, Lakita. I just really appreciate talking to you. Take care of yourself.
Speaker 2: Thank you you too.
Speaker 1: Thanks again to Lakita Casten for joining me today. Hearing more about her story really reminded me how proud every caregiver should be of themselves, not only for the time they dedicate to their loved one, but also for finding joy in that process and being able to share that joy with others. That's it for today's episode. Join us next time with physical trainer and fitness educator Pete McCall. Together, we'll explore the importance of mobility and strength training for caregivers with joint pain due to arthritis. Until our next walk, don't forget to find the support you need and take care of yourself too. Care Walks is produced by iHeartRadio in partnership with voltairean Arthritis pain gel, and hosted by me Holly Robinson, Pete Our executive producer is Molly Sosha. Our head engineer is Matt Stillo. This episode was written and produced by Sierra Kaiser, with special thanks to our partners at GSK Platform, GSK, Weber, Shandwick and Edelman