Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning, This is Laura. Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode will be a slightly longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome and any advice they have for the rest of us. So today, I am delighted to welcome Aj Jacobs to Before Breakfast. AJ is the author of several books such as the Year of Living Constitutionally, The Year of Living Biblically, and The Puzzler. He is the host of the podcast Hello Puzzlers. So Aj, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I'm so thrilled to be here. I am a fan and you have made my life better with so many of your tips. So I'm hoping that I can repay by giving some helpful feedback on your show.
Speaker 1: I am sure you will. Did you tell our listeners a little bit about yourself?
Speaker 2: Sure? I am a writer. I mostly do nonfiction writing. I've written several books where I try to take on a weird, admittedly an odd lifestyle for a year and then write about the lessons I've learned. So I spent a year trying to live by all the rules of the Bible that included the Ten Commandments, but also growing a huge beard so people would cross the street to avoid me. I tried to be the healthiest person alive. I wrote a book about gratitude where I thank a thousand people who had anything to do with my morning cup of coffee, which is very relevant to this show, and try to become as grateful as I could. So those are the types of books and articles I write.
Speaker 1: And now you're doing a podcast about puzzles, so I would love to hear about this.
Speaker 2: Why puzzles, Yes, I do. I love it. I do a podcast called Hello Puzzlers and available everywhere, and it is uh we give word put fun little word puzzles to our guests and to each other. I have a co host. And that came about because I wrote a book about puzzles, mostly during COVID, which seemed like a good time to write about puzzles. But I am a huge fan of all types of puzzles, crossword puzzles, word find, Jake Saws. I love Jake Saws. I'm not good at them, but I love them and have I am convinced that puzzles are not a waste of time. I know that this this show is a lot about not wasting time, using your time best you can. I believe puzzles are a big part of that.
Speaker 1: Well, tell us about that. I mean, what is it about puzzles that. I mean, they're fun, they're fun, But beyond just being fun, what are the benefits of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I do puzzles every morning. I do the New York Times Crossword, I do connections, I do a few others. I listen to my own podcast sometimes if sometimes, Well that makes me feel good.
Speaker 1: For the morning.
Speaker 2: But I think the benefits include h Well, one is is you've probably heard that puzzles keep your brain sharp and help with staving off cognitive decline, which I think is true. It's not like I'm a cure all but it does help a little. And it's not exclusively puzzles. It's just about keeping your brain engaged. You could learn a new language, you could, uh, you know, learn a new hobby. So, but puzzles are one way to keep your brain engaged. But I think there are other advantages in addition. One is, for me, it really helps keep my mind flex So puzzles train you to see the world from all these different angles and looking for a solution. So it's if you see a clue in the crossword with the word trunk in it tr u n K, you're thinking, okay, well that could be an elephant trunk, it could be the trunk of a car, it could be bathing suit trunks what my grandma called bathing suits or trunks. And that flexibility of mind seeps out into my whole worldview, so that when I'm confronted with a problem at work or at home, I'm able to keep my mind flexible and not lock in on what of this has to be the answer. No, I'm able to keep my brain fluid. And finally, and this I think relates to a lot of your message. It really encourages a mind what I call the puzzling mindset, which is a mindset of deep curiosity and looking for solutions because we are with the media, as you point out, is so problem oriented and it's just your your hit with this relentless stream of negative news without solutions being presented. I love it when you can look for solutions. There's a great quote I like by Quincy Jones, the late music producer, and he's his philosophy of life. He said, I don't have problems. I have puzzles, and it's just that simple reframe of being like, I can solve this. I'm going to roll up my sleeves. It's a challenge, but it's not a crisis. I'm not going to curl up in the corner in a fetal position. I'm going to try to make this happen and get to the solution.
Speaker 1: I love it. And I was listening to you know, Hello Puzzlers the other day and you had I was noticing what my brain was doing as I was going through one of your puzzles, and just to if anyone wants to try it here, it was that there's a South American country that if you rearrange the letters of the capitol will give you the name of another country. And of course when you hear that, so then I'm like going through my list of you know, South American countries, which I probably haven't thought about that much. But of course that has to pull back from somewhere at the back of my brain that I had to fill out that geography thing in tenth grade, and so I'm going back through it, like, Okay, where is the capital. Where's the capital? Does anything have a short capital, because that's probably what it's going to be. Rearrange that. And then of course, you know, I'm thinking like, oh, well, you know i've been to all right, I'll tell you guys. The answer Peru where Lima is of course Mallei with the country in Africa. And so I was like, ah, I got it, I got it. I'm very excited. But it was like that little you know, that hunting through your brain and then that moment of excitement. I think that's what's really what that's what it does, right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And I like to call that, or people in the puzzle business called that the Aha moment. You had an Aha moment, and that's what you're looking for, and we as humans are wired for that aha moment. And and I think that's you can you can make that not just about puzzles, but about life, you know, looking for the Aha moments in life. But I also love what you did with the strategy because I think that is very important too. When you're presented with a puzzle or problem, what is the best way to solve this? And you were like, well, I think it's going to be a short word and that was a key insight that will help a lot. So taking a step back whenever you're presented with a puzzle or problem, what is the best way to solve that? Instead of diving right in and trying to solve it, step back and say what strategies should I use?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I hear that you may have a puzzle for us. I do.
Speaker 2: Okay, I wrote it this morning, hear it. It's not it's not all that elaborate, but it is. It is breakfast themed. So I thought that.
Speaker 1: People haven't had their coffee yet. But we don't need a lot.
Speaker 2: Of frids exactly. Well, I just noticed that there are a lot of fun phrases in the English language that include breakfast foods. All right, so I am going to give you a hint a clue where I will paraphrase one of these idioms that include breakfast food, and you tell me what you think might be the phrase, and I will give you the food if you want, I will give it to you up front, but for instance, and we'll start with an example.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is a.
Speaker 2: Food, a breakfast food phrase that means to earn money, So that is.
Speaker 1: Bring home, bring home the bacon, the bacon. Okay, is going to go all right? All right, all right.
Speaker 2: This phrase means to risk everything on a single plan or a single person.
Speaker 1: So, oh, all your eggs in one back.
Speaker 2: Look at that. You didn't even need a hint. Wow, all right, all right. This phrase refers to the unpleasant process behind creating a finished product.
Speaker 1: Oh, how we're making the sauce.
Speaker 2: Oh, you are good, you are good. You know your breakfast foods and.
Speaker 1: I know my breakfast foods.
Speaker 2: How about if you, uh, if you've got to face an unpleasant reality, you would encourage people to.
Speaker 1: Would we eat that frog? Are we going?
Speaker 2: That's interesting? Some people have frogs for breakfast.
Speaker 1: No, no, that's what we say. Okay, well, we like to think about that one. We're gonna take it. We're going to take an ad. Break listeners come up with it, and then we'll be right back. Well, I am back talking with A. J. Jacobs, who is the co host of the Hello Puzzlers podcast, author of several books of sort of experiential journalism Doing things for a year. So he is giving me some brain teasers here on breakfast related idioms. Okay, so repeat the one you did just before the break.
Speaker 2: Well, this one. And I should have mentioned because maybe this was the it's the I'm including beverages as well as okay, beverages, all right, so this is to face. If you're encouraging someone to face an unpleasant reality, you might tell them too. It's the most famous, at least in America, breakfast, beverage, coffee. Yeah, and what do you have to do in every morning? You have to before anything? You open your eyes?
Speaker 1: You okay, you got me here.
Speaker 2: Wake up and smell the coffee.
Speaker 1: Wake up and smell the coffee. Okay, gotcha? All right, Oh, that's all right. We got last one.
Speaker 2: Last one. Last one is uh, this is this is a person who is very admired or celebrated in a certain community or or small city. Uh. And it is a I'll give you the food. Okay, it is toast. So this is a phrase with toast blank blank blank, someone who is very celebrated.
Speaker 1: Oh, the toast of the town, most of the town.
Speaker 2: Exactly. You got it too.
Speaker 1: I have never thought of that many breakfast related idioms, but it's true. It's true. I guess we're all we're into our breakfast items totally.
Speaker 2: And who wouldn't be. It's it's a great meal.
Speaker 1: It is, it is, for sure. So AJ, how should we I mean, are there particular puzzles you would recommend that a newbie look into. If somebody's like, Okay, this sounds good, I'd like to try doing a few puzzles. Where should people go or what should they try if they're new to this.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good question. And I do think that there are puzzles for everyone. So some people like logic puzzles, some like number puzzles, some like word puzzles, like me. Also, the scientists do say that the more you can vary the types of puzzles, the better it is for keeping your brain active. So I can just tell you some of my favorites. I do the spelling Bee in the New York Times, which is a good starter puzzle because it's basically jumble. It's like, you know, finding words, the word search and anagrams. I do the crossword in the New York Times, which is tough. The Monday is the easiest, but even the Monday is tough. It took me like five years to get where I can finish all of the puzzles. So it is a language that you have to learn. There's a fun one on the Atlantic website called racket City, which is free. I recommend that there's one called parseword dot com, which was created by the guy who created Wordle, named Josh Wardle. And of course there's Hello Puzzlers. And we do try to have very accessible puzzles because we know this is part of a lot of people's morning routine. And yeah, you don't want to frustrate them too much at the beginning of the day.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely, Yeah, I feel like the crossword puzzles. I have not yet crossed that bridge to like the New York Times crossroad puzzle. I mean maybe someday, but I have not yet attained to that level.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you could. It's as I said, it's all a language to learn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I know somebody who does it with like either the down or the across. Oh covered.
Speaker 2: That's a tough guy, yeah, a tough woman.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly. I wanted to pivot to your sort of genre of experiential journalism, which you so like own that category with all the books you've done in that. How do you do like, how do you come up with your topics for that? What makes you say that is something I should try doing for a year.
Speaker 2: Well, I actually I am very passionate about idea generation, and in fact, that is one of my part of my morning routine is I actually spend ten minutes. I have a remarkable tablet, you know those tablets, which I like because I cut it off from the Internet, and I just come up with ideas for ten minutes I have Sometimes I have a magazine and I use that as like a mental jungle gym. And one key is that ninety eight percent of those ideas are crap. They are just not good, but hopefully there's two percent that are good. It's really a numbers game creativity. So I am a huge fan of that, and I come up with book ideas, article ideas, random ideas that I know are not going anywhere, but just keep my brain fluid and flexible. As far as books come, I try to find books. First of all. I like to think of the customer, the reader, you know, what would they be interested in? What would I want my book to check a couple of boxes. One I wanted to be able to improve their life. I want I want to stay married to my wife. So there are topics that.
Speaker 1: She said, you just won't go into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she is Yeah, So there's that. There's something I wanted to be timely. I wanted to be broad enough so that it can encompass a year's worth of adventures. So my topics are usually big gratitude, the Bible, health, so some of those are some of the considerations.
Speaker 1: And how do you project manage something like that? Like they say, you know, you recently did the Constitutional year as we're coming into the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary here the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution, but still you know, related people are celebrating two hundred and fifty years of America here, Like how did you project manage that? Like you look at doing that and then you say, I'm going to do this for a year. How do you sketch out what you're going to do?
Speaker 2: That's a good quote. Well, first of all, I'm a huge fan of outlining in terms of writing. I love that. I also keep two different sets of notes to keep be organized. So I have a note I have sort of a journal where it's my personal experience, like you know, what it was like to pretend to be a revolutionary war soldier and fight in the fake battle of Trenton. And then I have another part where it's all research because I do like to research, read hundreds of books, so that's one. I also for the Constitution book. I think this is relevant. I decided to follow Ben Franklin's morning routine, which is to wake up at five AM. And I used to be a night owl, wake up at nine or ten in the in the morning. But I've switched. I've so I don't think it's you know, it is possible to switch, at least for me, and I love it. I wake up at five. The first thing, by the way, Brent Franklin did, he said he had a little reminder what good can you do today? Which I love. That is just such a night and I try to remind myself in many days and I don't don't I don't know if I'm doing good. Is this help in the world? Maybe maybe not, but it's a good goal to shoot for.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, we love Ben Franklin around here. Always this to Ben Franklin in the self help universe. But I mean with with something like that, I mean part of when you're writing about your experiences, I mean nonfictionate needs to sort of have these epiphanies like these realizations of something that happened, and yet when you're going into something you can't really know for sure where the epiphany is gonna happen. I'm curious how you think about structuring your activities through a project like that in order to get realizations that will make compelling anecdotes.
Speaker 2: I love that. That is a great question, and it is hard because you have to I feel that it's a balance between having a structure and being able to improvise within that structure, and I think that's that's in many endeavors. But yeah, I have a structure where I know it's going to start and end at the year. I know that. For instance, with the Gratitude Book, I hoped at the end that I would become more grateful. It would be a little disappointing if I didn't. And then I came up with here are ten what they call in movie set pieces. Here, I want to go down to South America and visit the coffee farmer. I want to meet with the guy who tastes the coffee and says, oh, there's a hint of licorice and a little bit of chocolate. And I'm always like you know, it tastes like coffee to me, but I love that you can taste all that other stuff. So having those set pieces and at each one, I'm like, what did I learn? What can I take away that I can give the reader as a as a lesson. And for instance, with the tasting one, it was a lot about savoring, which is a big part of you know, holding onto that moment for a little bit longer instead of just letting everything flit by so rapidly like we often do.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, well, We're going to take one more quick ad break and I'll be back with more from AJ Jacobs. Well, I am back talking with AJ. Jacobs is the author of several books, including the Year of Living Constitutionally, The Year of Living Biblically, and The Puzzler. He's the co host of the podcast Hello Puzzlers. So Aj a few you know a little earlier in the show, you mentioned your morning routine has an element of idea generation that you're sitting down come up with ideas. What else is part of your morning routine?
Speaker 2: Well, I love my morning routine, and I mean it's weird. As I've gotten older, I've i have become a morning person. So idea generation. I have a list of I won't call them affirmations because some of them are kind of depressing, but they are reminders you know, you're only here for a little on this world. Try to make the most of it, or you know, get curious, not furious. That's on the phrase I love, and I have a list of like fifty of those. So I'll just look at those during the morning for a couple of minutes to ground myself. I have the brain storming. I do split up my exercise throughout the day, so I do five minutes on the treadmill in the morning, but then I'll do I'll get back on four or five times and do another five minutes. But I from my research, and I'm not a doctor, I think it's a little more healthy than bunching all of the exercise at once. So those are just a few of the things I love to do.
Speaker 1: I love that. Well, I'm going to next time I want to get off the treadmill after five minutes, I'm going to remember that excuse of first I have to get back on at some point.
Speaker 2: That's the downside.
Speaker 1: Oh well, oh well, And I'm curious when you mentioned earlier that ninety eight percent of the ideas are bad. How do you know a bad idea from a good one?
Speaker 2: Oh, such a it's a great question. I have a couple of tests that I do. One is I am very free with telling people my ideas, and a lot of people are who I tell are friends and they're not going to say that absolutely sucks, but you can kind of see it in their eyes. You can see or if they ask follow up questions. So that's one test. Another test is am I still thinking about this idea in a couple of weeks and being like, oh, that is an interesting idea. If I just forget it the next day, maybe it's not worthwhile. And then just experimenting starting to write and say, you know, is this flowing? Is does this have legs? Because yeah, you can't always decide in advance of a project. You might have to start it and see if it takes off.
Speaker 1: Yep, test it out a little bit, just like a puzzle. You have to work with it a bite, see what you're pulling back from your brain and trying out and looking at it in a different way. So aja I always ask my guests what is something you have done recently to take a day from great to awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, I have another little habit ritual that I do that I have found very helpful, and I wrote about it. I wrote about it on my substack Experimental Living with ad Jacobs if anyone wants to check it out.
Speaker 1: And it is.
Speaker 2: Just really keeping track of my moods when some both good and bad. When I'm grateful for something, I write it down on a little index card and I said, oh, you know, I'm grateful that my dog wanted her belly rubbed, you know, just little things and also things that annoy me. This person didn't text back, you know. And I find it good because it helps me savor the good emotions. And also when I write down what I'm annoyed about, more often than not it's something dumb and that I look at it when I write it down, I'm like, oh, I got to get over that. That is not a good use of my mental energy. Now there are apps you can get on the iPhone that do this mood tracking, and they work for some people. I tried them. For me, I actually like the physical index card because I have it in front of me on my desk with a pencil, and so it's almost It's very much a reminder like when I have an emotion of gratitude or annoyance that I should can write it down, and the iPhone is not as helpful in that way. So that is something that has really I wrote about it like six months ago. I did it for like three months. Then I'm like, you know, maybe I should take you know, maybe it's served its purpose. And I found it was affecting my day material I wasn't as happy, and I went back to it, and now I am committed. I think I'm gonna do it for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it well. And writing down things that annoy you gets part of getting curious instead of furious, right exactly. Maybe it's not as big as I thought it Once I write it.
Speaker 2: Down, and why does that annoy me so much? It's like a little puzzle.
Speaker 1: It is a little puzzle. So ajay, what are you looking forward to right now?
Speaker 2: I am looking for it. I feel very lucky that I get to do what I do for a living. And part of my overall thesis is that life that we should all experiment with our lives. So and you don't have to grow a beard and wear a robe like I did for following the Bible. But it could be just small experiments. It could be trying a new toothpaste, a new way to work, et cetera. So I am always looking forward to the next experiment because I think it keeps life interesting. It improves life. Sometimes painful because not all the experiments work out, but it is a way to keep your mind young and carve new paths in your brain and make life interesting. So that's what I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 1: Excellent. Well, aj, where can people find you?
Speaker 2: I am I have that sub stack I mentioned Experimental Living with aj Jacobs, and I also have the Hello Puzzlers podcast wherever you get your podcasts, and I'm on the socials at aj Jacobs wherever you can find me. But I love hearing from readers and listeners and people, whether it's ideas or constructive critiques, whatever it is I do. I think writing can be a lonely a lonely job, so I love that people have these ways of reaching out.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, aj thank you so much for joining us, and thank you to everyone for listening. If you have feedback about this or any other episode. As Ajay mentioned, it's nice to hear from people, so you can always reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. In the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.