Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to cool People who had cool stuff. You're a weekly reminder that there's cool stuff happening, and it's often done by cool people. Although also it's your weekly reminder that people who seem really cool when you tell really short versions of their story, actually it become very complicated and real when you tell the longer versions of their story. Because nobody's perfect except our guest today and our producer today, Bridget Todd.
Speaker 1: Hi, how are you?
Speaker 3: Hi? Margaret?
Speaker 4: I like this idea that I'm perfect, you know what, I'm not going to push back.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, that's what I'm saying. And also perfect is Sophie our producer. Hi, Sophie, Hi, I am perfect. Bridget. You are the host of a podcast as a shameful thing to be.
Speaker 3: It is just a dirtbag podcaster life, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you are the host of There Are No Girls on the Internet, which is a podcast that people can listen to, except it just took a break. Maybe what's going on?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we are taken in brief pause, but will be real soon. Folks'll check it out if you're interested in the intersection of identity and technology and social media and some of the wormiest little pieces of dung on the Internet and what they're up to you to make our lives miserable.
Speaker 3: Come check us out.
Speaker 1: You also have a book that's about to come out.
Speaker 3: That is right.
Speaker 4: Thank you for asking about the book. It is an audiobook with Simon and Schuster called Love at First Prompt AI and the Future of Intimacy, and it's all about folks who have intimate connections with AI.
Speaker 1: Okay, the two things that are interesting me about that immediately. One, I've never heard of an audio only book.
Speaker 4: I had not heard of it before making one either, So it is not a physical book. It is audio only for now. Somebody was like, oh, can you sign it for me? And I thought, well, would that be a voice note?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a postcard? Like interesting? I mean I listened to, honestly, everything I'm not reading for work, I listened to audio books for so it actually makes perfect sense to me. Although I'm like, if I ever had to listen to it for work, I'd be really sad because then I have to listen to it, whereas I read very quickly for work. But when we were talking about this book before we started recording, you are presenting it in like kind of a more complicated way. I'm going to rudely guess most of the people who are listening are anti AI, and your whole thing is that we should shame people who are lonely by being really mad at them and not blaming structural problems. Is that the basis of.
Speaker 4: Your book basically, yes, only the opposite. Oh right, yeah, I mean, I don't think I'm giving anything away, no spoilers and saying that I'm not the most pro AI person out there. But the reality is a whole host of growing people are using AI for intimacy, whether that's you know, platonic connection, romantic connection, a lot of sexual connection through things like erotic role play.
Speaker 3: And I feel that.
Speaker 4: So much of the conversation about these people is demonizing and shaming.
Speaker 1: Right, look at these losers your insults.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look at these pathetic losers who are getting their jollys off to an AI girlfriend or AI porn or.
Speaker 3: What have you.
Speaker 4: I totally get that stance. But we're so busy gawking and finger pointing at the individual that the sam Altmans and the Elon Musks and the Mark Zuckerberg's of the world are like great, keep making fun of what you see as these pathetic losers will go continue to commodify and make money from, you know, people who might be vulnerable and the most intimate parts of what it means to be a human. And so I really want to shift the conversation away from just gawking at individuals and really put our scrutiny where I feel it belongs on AI companies and the people who run them, and how they are not really being good stewards of the increasingly intimate human spaces that they are trying to make money from.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that because I think when I imagine lonely people, I don't really imagine people who are like afraid of being made fun of. They probably hate being made fun of, like more likely to be kind of used to it, and like it doesn't seem like a very useful If mockery is ever a socially useful thing, it's only useful when it is presented in an upward fashion, you know, like mock the king, not the peasant, even if the peasant has a wayfoo. Why I don't know how to pronounce this A pillow that is a person you know, like you still don't mock them for like, and maybe I'm like overly empathy empathetic, but I'm like when people are like, this person married their pillow, and I'm like, I don't want to make fun of them. I feel sorry for them, and maybe that's just as bad to them.
Speaker 4: But so that's such an insightful point, and I think it really tells us a lot about what's going on when we talk about people who are having intimacy with AI. The people who have intimacy with AI, they actually from doing the research on the book, they can tell us a lot about what the impacts are from people who are in kind of increasingly intimate connections with AI. And even if you're somebody who was like, oh, I would never be friends with AI, I would never, you know, want to have sex with AI?
Speaker 3: What have you? I would put myself in that camp.
Speaker 4: Tech leaders like Mark Zuckerberg has been super clear that the future that he is designing is one where he thinks all of us, everybody listening, will want to have intimate AI connections. Now, whether that's true for you or not, that is the future that tech leaders have invested in and are busy building. And so I think it would be wove us to talk to the people who are currently having connection with AI in this way, listen to what they're saying, and sort of take away like, Okay, well what does this mean for the rest of us? But I think that when we're making fun of.
Speaker 3: Them and shaming them, we're actually not learning from them.
Speaker 4: We're not hearing what they say. And I guess for me, I'm just a curious cat. Like it's really tempting to shut these conversations down through things like, you know, looking down on them and making fun of them. I get it, but you don't learn when you're not being curious. And so I really tried to approach this conversation from a really a place of curiosity.
Speaker 1: I am really excited to listen to this now. I admit if I just read the tagline, I'm like, Heydai, why would I read this? But you just answered that right, and like, because I spend a lot of my time thinking about Like, but I love gadgets. I am obsessed with gadgets. I learned how to program in CUE Basic longer ago than a lot of the people listening to this were alive.
Speaker 3: It's such a nerd and I love it. So much, Margaret.
Speaker 1: But now I'm like age verification, I'm done. I'm like, nope, I don't want the government that should have nothing to I've become a grouchy old lady on a rocking chair in Appalachia kind of literally, and now just like, no get away from me. I never want to have a conversation with a chatbot. Every time I do, it's because I'm angrily trying to deal with customer service.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And I even have mastered this is really important to our topic. It's completely unrelated to our topic. I've even kind of mastered the art of when I'm a human that I'm talking to in customer service and I'm very mad. I've gotten very good at being like, I am incredibly frustrated and not at you as a person. I recognize that you're doing your job. I am incredibly upset about the what's happening right now. But you can't do that with an AI. They have taken away my one skill, which was getting mad at people without getting mad at them, and I don't know what to do anymore.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad that you brought that up, because so like, even if you're somebody who you're like I avoid AI like the plague. There are times when you find yourself interacting with AI kind of against your will, and there are all these insidious, sneaky little ways that they design it to try to mimic intimacy, even when you are having what is essentially like a non consensual connection with AI, where when you're like, hey, Exminity Comcast, my internet is out. It's a problem, and their AI chatbot is like, oh, that must be so frustrating for you. I really hear what you're saying that that's so frustrating. Let me help you. I'm like, don't try to empathize with me.
Speaker 3: You're not a humane I'm so mad sneak intimacy into this interaction.
Speaker 1: Oh no, this is such an important point because I think about the other main interaction I have with AI is that I don't have a publicly available email, kind of by design because macgrassy old lady lives in, has a rocking chair and a shotgun. So it really just everyone's just stay away. I love people, but anyway people have figured out I assume if you ask an AI how to reach me, you get one of my publishers, And so I get these emails forwarded to me all the time that are people being like, hey, I really loved your book, and I particularly loved the themes of the following comma, the following comma and the following I also really like how the characters experienced as the following comma and the following and comma the following And we're trying to reach you to do X y Z. I don't even know what the scam is, but I've like, stop trying to appeal to me, to be like, I understand your book, so you should talk to me.
Speaker 3: I get those every five seconds.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's probably just your life.
Speaker 3: People trying to get booked on things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's like, you know the person. First of all, you can tell it's written by aie. It's in personal, but it's written in such a way that it is meant to appeal to your like flattery. Like I'm super so I shouldn't even say this on my podcast, but I'm super susceptible to flattery. Somebody gives me a compliment, I'm like, oh, thank you for noticing. Well, you're so observant.
Speaker 1: Well, it's because you're empathic that you're susceptible. To flattery. That's what I've always You're very good at that.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Margaret. Oh wow, you're so insightful, Thanks Margaret. But like it's these AI generated please are meant to appeal to these like human qualities about us, you know, our ego are, you know, susceptibility to flattery, things like that. Yeah, but like once we put on our critical hats, we can see how empty and hollow they actually are. And so it's not like you're actually booking the person who sends you this email that's clearly AI generated. Oh I really liked X, Y and Z from your book. Yeah, but you know, I guess I would argue that companies know this, and they design, you know, AI to speak in this way to appeal to us in these ways that are playing on what I would argue you are the sort of human qualities that we all have. And I guess I just think, you know, even though I have a tech podcast, I consider myself a bit of a luttite, not in the sense that I don't like.
Speaker 3: Technology, I really do.
Speaker 4: I want to ask questions about who is benefiting from technology, right.
Speaker 3: Like that's what the lunites were all about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, No, they were like they wanted to be able to make stuff in a cottage instead of a factory. This is very reasonable. If they had succeeded, everyone's life would be better. There probably wouldn't have been a fucking British empire, like to the same degree. Like anyway, But I believe that by the end of this episode we will find a way to tie in that conversation to this topic. But this topic is entirely different. Bridget Have you ever heard of music? I think I have heard a little bit of music. Yeah, okay, what about American music?
Speaker 3: I am a little bit familiar. Americans make music?
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, yeah, Well, whether you know it or not, your world has been shaped by a sickly white communist from Texas named Alan Lomax. You ever heard of Alan Lomax?
Speaker 3: I have heard of Alan Lomax? What am I thinking of? Oh Brother, We're Out Thou?
Speaker 1: Wait? Is he in that or something?
Speaker 3: I think?
Speaker 1: I think that's absolutely what his time period is.
Speaker 3: Fact check this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I is he the guy who records them in that movie?
Speaker 4: I sound like such a nerd, but I have the soundtrack on CD to Oh Brother, We're Out Thou.
Speaker 3: And it kind of slaps, So don't come for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, that's good music.
Speaker 3: He is involved in it, like his legacy is involved in that. Sound correct, That.
Speaker 1: Is what we will be talking about today. Oh brother, where art thou? Sinners? And there's one other movie that I was like thinking about while I was reading all this that I was like, Oh, this is just that, Like this is just what this is about.
Speaker 3: I'm so fucking excited.
Speaker 1: And actually Sinners is even the most what it's about, because it's also about this is a story that into colonization and racism and recording and what is and isn't our folk heritage as like people, and there's so much in this story.
Speaker 4: Did you pick this specifically because you thought it would be my shit?
Speaker 3: Because it very much is.
Speaker 1: My Oh I'm very excited it's your shit. No. What happened was this was going to be last week's episode, and then I learned what Alan Lomax's dad did to led Belly Huddy Ledbetter, which was do him real fucking dirty, and so I had to switch. And last week I just recorded about Huddy Led Better, but I couldn't get out of my head, and I thought you might be into this, so I'm very excited.
Speaker 3: You thought right, Magpie.
Speaker 1: So Alan Lomax did more than probably anybody in history anywhere in the world that I'm aware of. Whenever I say statements like that, I'm probably wrong. Did more than anyone in history to record folk music, the music of people, the people people. I don't know what you're capitalizing or putting the on front of it, however you do it. He was there across cultures and continents. Without him, people have made clear there would be no rock and roll. It's likely that without him an awful lot of blues, jazz and work songs would have simply died away. Also, a lot of like traditional voodoo music would possibly be gone. And it depends on how you know robust the oral tradition would be. But there's so many genres where we barely have any of their music. Anything that Helen Lomax showed up and cared about we know the songs also left out of the story always this is his wife Elizabeth, who did all of that work alongside him for twelve years and has been more or less written out of history, which is you're making your I'm not surprised face.
Speaker 4: I'm disappointed in myself, because that's always the story. Of course, there's a woman somewhere who didn't get her due, who was very involved.
Speaker 3: And I'm a.
Speaker 4: Little bit familiar with Lomax's work, but it never even occurred to me to think, like, well, was there a woman in the mix who is the reason why his work is, you know, has the status that it does.
Speaker 1: I like, I can say that they were married for twelve years, and they were traveling doing that work together most of that time. And he went on to continue to do it for decades and decades, and she went on to have a different career. So he's a little bit more of the driving force, but she did twelve years of this work, which is a lot of time, and like thousands of songs, you know, and they recorded thousands and thousands of folk musicians, the overwhelming majority of whom never saw any commercial success. So just like recording these songs, and it's a remarkably American story, and it's a story about how people came together to tell the American story. And because it's the American story, it's like cut through with racism and colonialism the whole goddamn time in ways that I wish it was, but it is because, unfortunately for all of us, the story of Alan Lomax begins with his father who did this work before him, named John Lomax. John Lomax, the technical word for him was that he was a racist, colonizing piece of shit, and he even came across a sort of progressive on racist US at his time. But he's like, we have his letters to his wife. He's just a racist. He's a horrible fucking racist, and like it's just left out of the histories. I found one book, it's about Howey Ledbetter that talks about all of this, and it completely disrupted everything. Like I was saying, I realized that a small detour around Howdy Ledbetter needed to become an entire two episodes, So last week we covered Hotty Ledbetter, better known by his stage name Led Belly, one of the finest blues musicians the world has ever seen. Led Belly persevered through just about everything. He was pretty big into self defense, so he went to jail a lot because it was a rough time to be a black Southern man who's into self defense in the Jim Crow South. He went to prison a lot. For anyone who didn't listen last week the first time hatt he led better got out of prison. He did it by just breaking out he was on a chain gang. And this is, oh, brother, we're art that moment in my mind. But I have to sell the same anecdote I told last time, which is that my grandfather was also on a chain gang in the nineteen thirties. He stole a car and then he didn't snitch out the people he stole a car with. And my family presents this. I never talked about my family on here. What am I doing? My family presents this as this like really wholesome story about how he takes responsibility for his crimes. And I'm like, n because he's no snitch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, is that like your family legacy is like we don't snitch.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: They take the wrong answer out of it, because like they see his like hobo days as kind of this like quaint aside and like focus more on his later work, right, and whereas I'm like, I've written freight trains. I want to talk to my grant. I can't or I can't only but he's dead, so it's a different version of talking anyway. Whatever. As soon as I found out I worked a changgang. I have no idea for how long. Whenever I read about changangs, I get really excited. Led Belly decided he didn't want to work on a chain gang, so they burned a hole in the floor of the wooden wagon and they just left and had no brother were at that Probably he changed his name. The second time he was in prison, he literally sang his Way to Freedom because the governor would come by and like check on the prisons, and he wrote a song that was like, oh, Governor, you should this is totally not the melody. You should release me. It would be the Christian thing to do.
Speaker 4: You know how convincing of a song. That song had to have slapped where it's like, all right, let.
Speaker 1: Him go now. They're actually are recordings and it's completely different than the way I just sang it. This man was called the King of the twelve string Guitar, which is actually interesting. He learned it. It was a Mexican instrument when he learned it in Dallas. So he sings his way to freedom. The third time he's in prison, he had the fortune and misfortune to meet John fucking Lomax. John Lomax didn't get him out of prison, but took credit for getting him out of prison. Haddy Ledbetter jailhouse lawyered himself out of prison by successfully connecting bureaucratic dots between Texas and Louisiana while imprisoned in the South in the nineteen thirties. Wow, and got himself out of prison. But John Lomax takes all the credit. After that, Huddy Ledbetter became the unpaid servant for John Lomax. And along the way to introduce a little bit, or we'll go back and start with Alan's story. Alan's seventeen and with his dad when all this happens. So some of Alan's formative moments of doing this work is this exploiting black man who just got out of prison. So once again, howe he Ledbetter had to find his way to freedom. It's not in prison, but he's trapped in this like really messed up contract where he's only getting a third of the money that he's producing. It's like almost like a model for like exploitative like how the music industry works today.
Speaker 4: You know, I was gonna say, it doesn't sound that different from my friends who are recording artists or musicians or entertainers. What they describe today, and it does come feel like a modern day colonialistic situation where it's like, Okay, so I do all the work, you get all the money and credit and that's.
Speaker 1: That and also the fucking copyright. And that was actually the thing because like I always sort of knew that record deals are often real bad, and like book deals are complicated because they're like often a similar low percentage of your work, but you usually still kind of own the work, and the contract is like more likely to have a like if we stop publishing this, you get your rights back. Like the book industry is bad, the music industry is worse. And it was so interesting to be like I can draw the connection. John his parents owned people, and they called themselves like everyone refers to them as basically bootstrapping their way up, and it's like left out that the reason that they did that is because they fucking owned a bunch of families of people, you know, because they're fucking.
Speaker 3: Strapping via owning enslaved people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, like an owning essentially like enslaving people and taking their money.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like, oh, we're making our own way yeah, through very fucked up mes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, left out of that basically every story. But so it's like I can draw a direct line to the music industry through that and how they you know. And so he's going around when John is going around to the South, he's going around and he's collecting folk songs and copywriting them like and not paying the musicians. And that's like the race. It's like a race between all these folk song collectors. So this is why I was like, I can't cover Alan Lomax yet. What if Alan Lomax is a piece of shit? He's not. He's actually really cool. He's genuinely a cool guy. But he grew up in this horrible industry of exploitation, you know.
Speaker 3: Can I ask a question? Yeah, I don't want to jump ahead, yea, And I don't know.
Speaker 4: The answer to this is cutting out the ownership and profit and copyright, you know, of the people who are actually making the thing.
Speaker 3: Do you think that is intentional, like we.
Speaker 4: Are taking the product from other people and benefiting ourselves or is it more sort of like it's just like not how people thought about it at the time. At the time, it's like, why would these people expect ownership or a profit from this thing that they are creating.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I'm asking?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, totally. And what's interesting is I think the answer is literally in the colonization of say Africa. I've been listening to Behind the Bastard. It's like a terrible person. And same the recent episodes about Zimbabwe when it had a worse name, about how British people were like, look at this empty land. It's not being used. I am going to be the one to do something with this. I think it's that they literally don't see ownership or value produced by especially black people, but also just poor people in general. Because they're also doing this to hillbilly music, which is funny because black people weren't allowed to play it if they became commercially successful. Same with cowboy songs. Black people like Huddy Ledbetter was literally a cowboy from Texas and he wasn't allowed to play cowboy songs when he got big, you know, because that's white people music. He can't do that. But still overall, largely a racial component to this, and I think it's colonization. I think it's literally believing this is empty land. Okay, this is the best comparison I can come up with, and it's a weird one. Until I came out as trans I didn't know what size I was as a person, I had dysphoria. I would look in the mirror and see something different than everyone else saw, right. I think that white colonists are essentially insane. I'm not defending them. They're still criminally liable. They can't use it as a defense in court. But I think they genuinely were like, look at this empty land. Yeah, and you're like you're literally talking to a man in English about ownership of the land and buying it from him, and yet you don't see what's happening. That's my best guess ay.
Speaker 3: Almost in a kind of dysmorphia where you just can't see what's actually there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 1: I don't even think that they were like, I mean, they were profit motivated, but like not like fuck, yeah, I'm gonna go exploit people today.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: They were like I'm just gonna go collect the fruits of the wild and like, honestly, like when I talk about led Belly in the last episodes, like he wasn't even a circus act. He was a zoo act, you know, until he took charge found white lawyers who helped him get out of the contract, and he like fucking broke free and then had a career and then became a leftist labor singer and wrote anti fascist songs and was cool as fuck. But the last time he went to prison. Alan Lomax dropped out of grad school to help raise money to help get him out. So that was when I was like, all right, Alix is cool.
Speaker 3: That's pretty cool. That's first of all, as a grad school dropout. Dropping out of grad school's pretty cool just in general, but that's specifically very cool.
Speaker 1: Years later, students would ask advice, and he often was like, drop out of school.
Speaker 3: It's great advice. I've give that advice to anybody.
Speaker 1: I'm also a college drop out.
Speaker 4: Yet wouldn't you repeat that advice? If somebody was like, I'm in grad school and it sucks, I have no money, what should I do? It's like, how have you considered dropping out?
Speaker 1: I remember giving me to talk out of college, and this like person raised their hand, They're like I remember they like asked me how to handle certain things with college, and I was just like, look, I dropped out. Like now your school's paying me to talk to you. I don't know what to tell you I'm not encouraging that one way or the other. Everyone's conditions are very different from each other. But do you know what I can wholeheartedly recommend because I have personally added none of lay it on me the products and services that support this podcast of which I have no knowledge.
Speaker 4: It will never not pack me up. How y'all do your ad breaks. It is my favorite fucking thing in the world.
Speaker 1: I think they secretly know that anti advertising is still advertising, that's my best guess. Or they just don't listen, but you should listen or not here they are enter back. So this week I am mad at my sources. I am particularly mad. I have never talked shit on a specific source book before on the four or five years of been doing this show. I am mad at the biography Alan Lomax, the man who Recorded the World by John Zwd from twenty ten, because twenty ten is way too recent of a book to have such wild either apology of racism that's either conscious or just sure didn't look deep. Because this is a book about Alan Lomax. It's the book about Alan Lomax that I can find, and so it's my main source for a lot of this stuff. But because one of the most important things in Alan's early life and one of the main things that this book starts off talking about. This book just basically like gives the like John Lomax in his family bootstrap themselves, and here he is like off trying to care about people and doesn't mention any of the like it's just defending the contract that he traps. Howe he ledbetter and over and over and over again, even when like no one's asking, you know, it's like going out of the way to be like instead of saying something that might be fucked up and then defending it, it starts off by defending it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It frames made to work morning till night as an unpaid servant as didn't charge him rent.
Speaker 3: Ah, and like, oh, like isn't that great for him? What a bargain? Right?
Speaker 1: Like literally, this man when they bring up I think Martha is her name, Huddy's wife to come stay with them in Connecticut while they're recording up from Texas or maybe Louisiana. It's been a moment. They're like, all right, we're gonna let your you know, girlfriend come up here and you get married. And it's presented as like reuniting the two. Literally, John Lomax was writing letters to his wife that were like, helly, and now I have two one paid servants like that being left out. I'm not a big lies biomission, girl, That's a fucking lie biomission. And it completely leaves out how they wrote a racist caricature of Ledbetter and then claimed that Ledbetter wrote it and then didn't give him any of the money for it, and it's just it's disinfuriating. I was so mad that I almost didn't do this episode, and then I kept reading and I was like, goddamn, Alan Lomax is actually really cool. His dad's a piece of shit. But I don't trust my source, so maybe he was also a piece of shit, and it's just not fucking mentioned. But I do have a lot of counterfactual I have a lot of like Alan Lomax being really cool.
Speaker 3: Okay, good.
Speaker 1: That is my long aside. I believe Alan Lomax was nothing like his father, and this story is maybe essential for understanding the construction of folk identity in America, an America's conception of its own music and literature. But Alan Lomack thirty minutes into our episode, that's actually honestly faster than sometimes for this show. Alan Lomax was born on January thirty first, in the Year of Our Lord, nineteen fifteen, in Austin, Texas. I believe he was the third child, and he was a sickly kid. He had asthma and earaches, and he struggled to put on weight. And this is going to follow him his whole life, that he just is a kind of likes getting sick. It's like a hobby. Their parents were overachievers who wanted their kids to be overachievers too, and all their kids were ranked against each other, like whenever a kid started reading, they were like, oh, well, Susie started reading at three and a half, what are you fucking doing at three and nine months, you fucking lazy asshole, you know. And they were all taught to sing and do math and just do all the overachiever shit, and they like would have been in competitive soccer leagues one hundred years later, but instead he's actually gonna end up being forced to play football even though he's a tiny, sickly child. Alan was pretty direct about how he felt about this period in his life. Quote, I was given an absurd notion of my capacities. I don't know how I survived. I was pushed ahead of my class although I wasn't brighter than anybody else, that made me like him. I was just like, oh, I like this guy. Alan grew up in a household that believed his own legend that there were all these like you know, bootstrappers who you know, would successfully get into Harvard and shit like that, and they demanded greatness of their kids. Alan got perfect grades, but he missed class because he was sick all the time. He went to the fanciest private school with tiny classes, but he could never truly impress his father despite getting all a's, because he wasn't a real Texas man's man. So he was signed up for football and he was shipped off during the summer to work on ranches that would like, you know, build him up or whatever he laid around sick, take him man, Yeah, yeah, exactly. He would just go to the ranches and then be like deathly ill in a ranch instead of at home, you know. And at one point he's at this ranch, he sends letters home to his family. He's probably fourteen or something at this point, because he goes off to school at fifteen, So he writes letters home to his family and he's like, I'm so sick that I think I'm going to die and I've made peace with it. And his dad wrote him back, and of course did naturally the one thing a father should do in the circumstance, which is chastise him for making spelling mistakes in the letter and tell him that he should be proofreading his letters before he sends them.
Speaker 3: His dad is a real son of a bitch. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, it's just absolute fucking nightmare.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: He's going to be woven into way too much of this story. His other older brother, John Junior, used to beat him up all the time, and their parents ignored it because they figure it it's sort itself out. Ironically, Alan is going to end up his dad's favorite, despite having screaming matches about politics their entire lives.
Speaker 3: I know that game.
Speaker 1: Possibly Dad is going Possibly, I've read two versions of this. Dad is going to turn him into the FBI for being a communist. But they're still the favorite.
Speaker 4: What are the other siblings like where it's like, yeah, I turned him into the FBI, but so I can better.
Speaker 1: It's because they both do the same work with folklore. I think I don't know, or like maybe dad knows that Dad's a piece of shit, and it's just like I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's like a I don't know, if you watched the show Succession, maybe.
Speaker 1: It's sort of like I got you what is it?
Speaker 3: You know, where it's like we don't get.
Speaker 4: Along, but I have a begrudging respect for the fact that you like go out on your own and you try. Yeah, maybe it's like that a little bit of a roy family dynamic.
Speaker 1: Like when Kendall like exposes his dad and his dad like secretly smile.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's kind of into it because it's like, well, we don't get along, but I respect that you're like taking a shot.
Speaker 1: I love you, but you're not serious.
Speaker 3: Where's people?
Speaker 1: I actually think that is happening. And because even his whole life, Allan is going to be like I hate my father's politics. My father has done terrible things, but also he kind of refuses to be like fuck by dad. He's always a little bit like but I understand and respect him. It's kind of an interesting dynamic, and like, I don't know, if I had a piece of shit kid, like I don't know, it'd be so hard, right, like what have you had a kid in there? A piece of shit? Like what do you even do? I don't know anyway, so I have some respect for the respect for dad. At like fourteen or fifteen, he goes off to a finishing school in Connecticut on a full scholarship and he's off to New England to become a fancy person. But he doesn't have any money, like spending money, and his family pretty genuinely didn't have any spending money for him either. Dad was usually working for this or that university, but was unemployed a lot, and his work as a folklorist was often ignored. It's worth knowing that his dad's history. His dad loves cowboy songs and he wants it to be taken seriously in academia, and most people kind of just laugh at him about it. And so that's kind of why he started breaking into being like, well, what if I record black people instead? And people are like, oh, that sells people like the race music as it was called at the time, which is funny because like we call it like race music as if we're like so much more enlightened now, but like, yeah, it's the same concept truly can we sell this to white people?
Speaker 4: All of this sounds like it's so like, you know, back in the old days. It is actually very much still around. The legacy of all this is like very contemporary.
Speaker 1: I mean, fuck, I don't know how it works about people like walking around and finding people like freestyling on the street and then just being like, I'm gonna make you a stock kid, you know, stick with me.
Speaker 3: It goes straight to the town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do still run across people getting absolutely screwed by producers over that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So young Alan, he's in Connecticut and he wants to go on a date, so he asks his parents for money to quote that book Alan Lomax, the manner recorded the world quote. His mother wrote a thirteen page letter that listed each of his cousins who had been a failure because of some girl or another and contrasted them with those like his older brother, who had succeeded because of their single minded devotion to their work.
Speaker 4: It's like Rick and Morty style, like, don't think about girls, just focus on side and then you know it'll yeah, it'll just confuse you and distract you.
Speaker 1: But Alan Lomax's clever as shit. This is like nineteen thirty, he's doing this. He writes back, basically, look, if you don't give me money to date this girl, I've been looking at boys a lot lately. Boys are kind of cute, am I right? Car, Yeah, he's already turning out very differently from his father. He spends his freshman year of college at the University of Texas, and he resigns from the school paper because he wants to publish. Okay, the pope says birth control is bad. Here's an encyclical about it, and so Alan writes a birth control is good, Fuck you, mister pope, and the school won't publish it. So he's like, then I quit. You won't listen to my pro birth control arguments, I'm fucking out of here. And his friend group was radical as fuck, including a guy who later became the lawyer who wrote the arguments used to desegregate schools in Brown versus the Board of Education. And then there are a whole bunch of other names that were listed that I was like, oh, I should look up. That's too many rabbit holes. A lot of his friends went on to go do civil rights shit in pretty cool ways. He was born to be a Bohemian, but not actually from Bohemia, because that's actually Bohemi is like in Bohemian as a concept, it's like an early Orientalism. Well it's about the same time as regular Orientalism, but like Bohemia is a place. It's in eastern Europe. It's like part of the Czech Republic now, right, But being a Bohemian is like I am exotic and different, you know, and we like let that one be, which is fine. I don't believe that Bohemians are ethnically oppressed, but anyway, he's born to be a Bohemian by the style of the time in the nineteen and thirties in America, he risks expulsion to go to a black music venue, like if a school finds out he's like going to where black people hang out, he can get expelled. He does it anyway, and his second year of college, his family manages to get him into Harvard on a scholarship to study philosophy. He goes there. He keeps a goldfish in a rat as pets I think, in his dorm room. He doesn't really make a lot of friends because all of his classmates are pretentious conservative assholes.
Speaker 3: And also the pet rat probably didn't know. Hello.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, he's a weird kid. He is absolutely a weird kid.
Speaker 3: Hygiene my guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And he wrote his.
Speaker 1: Dad constantly, and his dad wanted letters about Harvard life, being like, ah, I want to live through you, Like what are you doing? What amazing learnings are you doing? And Alan sends him letters about communism, and he sends his dad letters about communism with a capital C that has flames coming out of it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this is big f you, dad, energy, which I'm here for.
Speaker 1: But it's also like he's like, Dad, I've discovered the most amazing thing you know. And Dad is having a hard time. He keeps losing his job, his health is declining, and his wife, Alan's mom dies and so he gets a lot out of corresponding with his weird communist son. So he's like writing these letters that are like you're my only human connection. Tell me about what's happening. And he's kids like have you ever heard of from each according to ability, to each according to need?
Speaker 3: I've drawing it with flames around.
Speaker 1: It for you. Here's the stucy esa or the coolest or whatever. I love it. It was just like a no one ever changes the moment to learn that he's drying. Yes, communism flames come out.
Speaker 3: It's up also sid iconic reference.
Speaker 1: I think now they're caught it coolest. But when I was in school, there's a Stuss and so he doesn't like Harvard and he writes and he's like, Dad, let me just like go around and collect music with you. Instead, he wants to go to the coal miner strike in Kentucky because that's where all the writers go to get it arrested, because there's no real free speech in America. And if you go right like pretty like famous people were going there to cover it, and we're getting interested for covering it. But he also is like he's a Sessi communist. So he's like, Dad, no, wait, I have new idea. You should put me on a ship somewhere in like the South Pacific, and I'm going to learn how to do stuff with my hands, be a sailor, you know which, like I don't know. I mean, I also want to learn that, but I actually don't want to do it in that style. And he's watching all these Soviet films which glorified the good worker and put down the intellectual and he knows that, despite being somewhat a poor text, and he's probably made fun of a lot for this, he is certainly the bourgeoisie. And I almost spelled that word correctly when I wrote it into my script, but I did not. I get to write. About half the time, he gets himself arrested for protesting the deportation of a Polish labor organizer, which surprised him because he hadn't actually broken the law. He had just spoken at a rally. So this was kind of his like Pikachu shock face that, like he's like, wait, but it's gonna happen to me, Like, hold on, I'm not a poor Polish worker or a Kentuckian minor, or like a black person from the South.
Speaker 3: Do they know of my affiliation with Harvard?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, fortunately the dean of Harvard bailed him out.
Speaker 3: Oh good.
Speaker 1: He only makes it one year at Harvard. Money is tight and his grades are shit because he's too distracted trying to be a Bohemian communist. And I'm not a communist at least not in the capital c with flaming letters kind of way. But honestly, this is still relatable to my art school dropout self and he heads back to the University of Texas. But school was never going to be where this man excelled. He is much better on the road doing the work he was born to do, which is record people's songs. He starts doing that during his next summer break, when he is all of seventeen years old. But do you know who else gets a break? Tell me, we get a very short break, and you, the listener, get either a short or long break, depending on whether or not you've discovered the skip Ford thirty seconds button. Here's a bunch of ads, and we're back.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 1: His dad had sold a book to McMillan, which is funny to me because I have also sold books to McMillan, saying that he would travel around the country recording and transcribing an anthology of American folk music, and the Library of Congress signed off on them working in a volunteer capacity on the project, which gives them like cred right, They're like, oh, we're working for McMillan and also the Library of Congress. So nineteen thirty two, father and son drove around the country, camping as they went and recording, and the timeline's a bit blurry to me, does this a couple summers in a row. I might acidently conflate some stuff. John is out there doing colonialism. He doesn't see it that way. He sees himself as a serious academic researcher. But he records people's music and then copyrights it and sells it. Alan learns there's something more to it right away. That first summer they recorded a singer named Blue, who sang the song stagger Lee, which I first heard with Nick Cave's stagger Lee because I learned it once a white Australian man saying it, and since Blue knew he was being recorded, Blue said on the recording quote, now, mister President, you just don't know how bad they're treating us folks down here. I'm singing to you, and I'm talking to you. So I hope you will come down here and do something for us poor folks in Texas. And so Alan heard in this the realization that folk recording could be part of social change, part of bringing people's voices directly to people with less mediation. But most people straight up wouldn't sing for these two white dudes, two white men driving around a car offering to record them and not paying them any money, no thank you. And one biographer was like that I read about this was like, yeah, that makes sense. People they want to be exploited. Well, the other one was like, I'm paraphrasing rudely here. Those silly superstitious savages. They didn't use that word, but they meant it. Didn't know what recording was all about. You're gonna make money on this, And I'm fucking not.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, I'm glad to hear this, because I do think there's this attitude. I don't know, it just reminds me of how much savvy and asiency these folks actually had, because it's so easy to think of these folks as like not having savviness and agency and like them being like, oh, you want to record me and take my voice and I get no money, no thank you, continue about your way, like it's a good reminder that these folks were pretty.
Speaker 1: Savvy and like no one ever like they're traveling around with incredibly expensive equipment, no one's ever like robbing them. People are just like which I straight up wouldn't be mad if they did, honestly, but like everyone's just like not, I don't want anything to do with that one performer who didn't record put it clearly, it's like, look, if I record with you, actually this ties into AI in an interesting way. If I record with you, even if you pay me, who's going to hire me to play their bar anymore? If they can just put on a record of me.
Speaker 3: Margaret as a voice professional.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 4: I am having these same conversations today in twenty twenty six that this person that you just quoted was having back then. Not a damn thing change, my friends, not a damn thing change.
Speaker 1: And when they do find people who are willing to record, people are willing to record spirituals but not secular songs, not the sinful songs to use a way that they are sometimes called sometimes by the black folks and definitely by people trying to sell them to white folks, by white people trying to sell the songs who call them sinful. But people know they're not supposed to play those songs in mixed company, so they're not going to play it on a recording, so they're not getting the real authentic stuff, you know. And the whole time that they're driving around the South with five hundred pounds of recording equipment in the trunk literally two seventy five pound batteries. It's fucking wild because it's the two of them. They're just arguing about politics and about racism and like whether what they're doing is racism, and about prisons because they're also been going to prisons and recording people there, you know, which is funny because they're like, oh, I know, who was willing to sing for me, someone who is literally incarcerated and not free?
Speaker 3: I would I gotta say, though, I I want to be a fly on the dashboard of conversation. I know this would be a good movie.
Speaker 1: It really would. God yeah, Like, especially once they have led back are like yeah. And eventually they find Hote he led better in prison, and Huddy is smart and he realizes these two white guys might be his ticket out. He actually, you know, had done the jailhouse lawyery and to secure his own freedom, but that hadn't really gone through yet, and so he's like, one, I'm going to record and he sings that same song, the like hey Governor, let me go song. He's like, you got to give this to the governor. And it's unclear whether or not they ever do, but it's not what gets him out, but he's like, these two white guys might get me to New York. They might be my ticket to a real career once I get myself out of here. So when he gets out, they spend a couple months driving around the South, the three of them, and in last week's episodes they get into it in detail, but basically they didn't pay him a dime, they expected him to be their servant and also literally didn't let him leave when he wanted to. Alan is seventeen and probably doesn't have a lot of agency in this, but whatever, Like he's like, yeah, kind of shitty. Will you let me go home? Can you give me bus fare or let me borrow the car or drive me back? And they're like, ahh he'll get over it, you know. Yeah. John Lomax got Pikachu shock face when he found out that Huddy wasn't actually grateful and wanted to get out of the exploited of contract. But Alan really looked up to Houdey and the two eventually became friends, and eventually they became part of the same New York City leftist folk music scene that churned out about half the shit that became popular music of like just fucking every genre. And that is where we're gonna leave the story for now.
Speaker 3: WHOA, you could not have picked a story that I am more invested in. I'm on the edge of my seat.
Speaker 4: Mark.
Speaker 1: It's fun when I get to do related topics two weeks in a row, because then I get to be like extra obsessed with it and extra insufferable to everybody that is around me physically. But like, I kind of love the episodes that I have to rewrite so many times because I flip flop on how I feel about all of it because of some great reveal somewhere along the way. Although what was interesting is that the great reveal here was that, like, Allan's actually pretty fucking chill.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was waiting. I was like, is Alan going to be a jerk? This whole time?
Speaker 4: I've been listening to the Oh Brother, We're out that soundstrack, and it's like, oh, actually he's not a cool guy. I'm happy to know that isn't really the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't date him.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the threshold. You talk about a lot of cool people, some of them I would date. Wendy Carlos call me.
Speaker 1: If I think although okay, some people's problem is that they're terrible to the people that they date. And some people's problem is that polyamory hadn't hit yet. Yes, Yes, and Honey Ledbetter and Alan Lomax polyamory hadn't hit yet. Wow, they would have been fine. They would have been perfectly responsible. I think, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: I think yeah. I like to imagine emotional responsibility can look like a lot of things and a lot of different types of relationships. Anyway, if people want to hear things that you're excited about. Besides this, is there a podcast they can listen to?
Speaker 4: There certainly is. You can listen to my podcast on iHeart called there Are No Girls on the Internet, and you can check out my audiobook which is available on July fourteenth, called Love at First prompt at Love Atfirsthprompt dot AI.
Speaker 1: And I'm really proud of myself for not making the joke I've made. I think every time you've been in a guest, which is that we're proving otherwise there are girls on the Internet. But I didn't make that joke.
Speaker 3: So you keep I apprecia takes a joke, keep making it all right?
Speaker 1: Well, we will see you all on whatever day of the other episode comes out Wednesday. Woo Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of pool Zone Media. The more podcasts and pool Zone Media, visit our website rule zonemedia dot com, or check us out on I Heard Radio, appp A Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.