Speaker 1: They around the NFL podcast once to get a haircut with Tom Brady from the Chris Westling podcast studio. It's around the NFL.
Speaker 2: I am Mystic Damn Hansis and I'm joined by heroes Greg Rosenthal, Mark Sessler. Right before we started, Mark was making a joke instead of Cabo. He said Cabo, and everyone freaked behind the glass and in front of it.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm not you know, you know, three times a month traveling outside of the country for some flighty vacation.
Speaker 2: We were there is this some type of internal gathering here where I think they're going to Cambo, but we weren't even invited.
Speaker 1: We've got that week.
Speaker 2: We have now aged out, slashed a slash, kind of been out of the mix up within this building that no one's even checking and kicking the tires on the old heroes whether they.
Speaker 1: Want to be involved.
Speaker 3: I don't like what I don't I don't have any problem with not being invited, becaus it makes a lot of sense, but it never is that we wouldn't be any fun, and I don't find that assumption correct. If you put us down and you know, you can fill in the foot on the blank island or locale.
Speaker 1: I think we could bring fun.
Speaker 4: Mark trying to rebuild his reputation once the rebound from the tough start of the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I say some words differentely have a constantly critique for.
Speaker 2: It feels like a lot's gone on since we last did a show.
Speaker 1: It's one of those type things.
Speaker 2: Jordan Rodrigue was a huge hit done around the NFC. We kept telling her, Jill, you're doing great, Listeners are going to love you, and sure enough, like a huge outpouring out there in the Internet that Jordan is.
Speaker 1: As a killer in studio guest.
Speaker 2: And we should have her again a groundswell soon, and I believe we will in time. Let's see what else happened. Mark went to the Tom Brady roast. We're going to get to that in a little bit.
Speaker 1: Greggie.
Speaker 2: I know you like Wrap Drake and Kendrick Lamar. They've been feuding for days. We missed that. We missed that window. We could add so much discourse.
Speaker 4: For weeks, but we didn't miss it. It sort of was still going as of last night.
Speaker 2: So this would be well to how he subtly corrected me to let the rap heads know that he gets it.
Speaker 1: I just say it like it. I actually it did feel like last night was maybe the end of it. So now you know, it's a sight.
Speaker 2: I feel like we missed, but maybe it's been for weeks. But I feel like right after the show ended, Drake and Kendrick.
Speaker 1: Yes Thursday night, it was let's yeah, let's turn this.
Speaker 2: Into a wildfire and put the guys in a tough spot as happens with the news sometimes.
Speaker 1: That was their main motivation. That was it.
Speaker 4: I was like, where are you going with this? Because not much football news happened in between. But yes, you know, now.
Speaker 2: The free agency is in the rear view, the draft is in the rear view, rookie camps underway, OTA's and all that other stuff.
Speaker 1: It's coming up.
Speaker 2: What what's left like with these teams when you look at these rosters, they now have their opportunity, these teams, they have their opportunity to.
Speaker 1: Plug all the holes. But have they That's the question.
Speaker 2: And we're going to get into teams where there's still stuff hanging out there. There's still question marks around these rosters. So we'll get into that. But but first, but first, anything Greg here, I got you in the corner of my eye. Do you want to lookover.
Speaker 1: No, I'm good. Let's do some news, Ronk.
Speaker 3: I've been watching on Fox NFL Sunday and I'm begging you please stop doing your job.
Speaker 1: Bill Belichick at the Tom Brady Roast. That's courtesy of Netflix. Mark. What was the vibe there at the Fabulous Forum? It's pretty wild.
Speaker 3: I was telling Greg beforehand that it reminded me of even when we've gone to whether it's like Thursday night football here and at SOFI or the Super Bowl, We're like when you watch it the Televisi copylater, like the halftime show looks completely different, Like parts of the game look completely different, things that you just wouldn't see being there as a human. Like I had that feeling with this because it was a wild rackus setting. I was up in the not the cheap seats, but close so you couldn't really see.
Speaker 1: You got these as a gift right to take?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are your thoughts and maybe whoever got them for you? Not going that extra mile getting a little closer to the stage. Let's stop down just to talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 1: That's that wasn't my main takeaway.
Speaker 3: Like I kind of liked, you know, I think the price increased drastically as you try to get closer to that. All right, I'm sorry, age, but yeah, like okay, I'll think about that.
Speaker 4: I'm definitely pulled some favors here and gotten probably up.
Speaker 3: I was actually asked verse why that didn't happen so and it was not a critique. It was more just and ample questions, like I don't know anyone at this company anymore.
Speaker 1: Let's start there. I know, like six mark this company bigger, bigger.
Speaker 3: I also, you know, I don't if you get a surprise, you don't want to then try to rate it.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't a electric atmosphere.
Speaker 3: And I think the one thing that I noticed besides like what is this going to be a bunch of like transplanted Patriots fans And we were sitting near like a flock of like drunken, angry Giants fans who were like rasing Tom Brady from the bleachers and the states. So it was kind of a wild crowd up where we were, and I think about richer and more wealthy as you got closer to the stage. Right fun time, there wasn't like it was three hours long, Like there wasn't a down moment. I thought that those things are typically good, but they nailed it like over and over, and I thought the one thing, I thought like it was good for the Patriots too, because like suddenly you're in this moment where it's like Bill Belichick and Brady were coaxed up to do a shot together Robert Kraft, who took a number of strays early in the show.
Speaker 2: Including one that led Tom Brady to actually threaten the roastmaster General Jeff Ross.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I assume that's like the kind of thing we didn't catch sitting where we're seeming to be on TV. I released, it caused a big stir, but they it's like all these patriots were there and after like the documentary that came out and stuff, it seemed to do a lot more to honor the Patriots in a weird, roundabout way than that documentary. Like they all seemed much happier to do this, even though at the times, like the look on Tom Brady's face seemed like, maybe stop mentioning Giselle for the four hundredth time, and what's been taken from either of our fortunes.
Speaker 2: I think that's, yeah, part of the reason why I wasn't interested in watching it live because I think Claybehn made the point and I did too. I've avoided a lot of this post Patriots after glow the productions because I just don't need more Patriots like there's if you're a Patriots fan, you're all over it.
Speaker 1: If you don't have any type of complicated.
Speaker 2: Relationship with the Patriots, maybe if you just love it because it's football content. I was perfectly fine with, you know, seeing what came out in Twitter, and there was some you know, good stuff out there, some funny lines, and I thought Belichick, you know, he he had a good one or one written for him where he talked about, you know that he was at this roast and he mentioned that the that aforementioned Patriots ten part documentary was also like the Bill Belichick rot, which any the crowd kind of got into. Uh. I have some insider reporting. I want to get out there at a T a.
Speaker 1: T media insiders insider damn can go to the zoos in the morning, except no substitutes.
Speaker 2: All right, So being an insider comes with responsibility. It comes with important and necessary.
Speaker 1: Guardrails.
Speaker 2: Yeah, knowing what to report, knowing what to Holster. The best of us have a whole notepad filled of scoops that we never share. Yeah, it's a dance, I would imagine. And that's for relationships and so much more. I say this because I want to report something that uh kind of touches on this. I have multiple connected to this event that said when Greg reported Bill Belichick would be on the roast, which is, by the way, information I also had that had holstered. The producers were so upset because Bill Belichick contemplated dropping out of the event because he wanted it to be a surprise. And thank god he was talked into appearing on the show, the program because it was one of the hits of the night having him there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just want to put it out there.
Speaker 2: He was there, but it went from him doing it to him we might be losing Bill because of Gregy, his reporting, putting it out there and making it no longer a surprise, which Bill desperately according to my sources, multiple sources very close to the event had said that Bill did not want this to get out beforehand. So on one level, Greg, yes, you have the scoopage. Yeah, and that's great. You want the truth, You go to the Rosenthal on the other hand, doesn't ring his uh poetic. It came very close to hashtag Greg your ruins everything. Well, maybe so we got to talk about what what what matters ultimately in the world.
Speaker 4: Ultimately, Hey, I did the truth matters. I believe getting it out there matters. But also you're getting it from a source. Maybe also inside the production that multiple source hunted it out there. So right, the one that wanted the information out there that maybe it'd be good for Buzz that would be happy with it being out there. So maybe they calculated what could happen based on that, and they realized in the end Bill Belichick was out there.
Speaker 1: So you know, I'm not protecting the fat cats.
Speaker 4: Up there in the in the high falutant offices making all the money.
Speaker 1: I go to the truth. And then he got he got out there. He was up there.
Speaker 2: I mean this the other way around, Right, you were protecting the fat cats and doing their work for them, you were carrying their water in promoting the event. I just thought to where Bill himself was the one that was I didn't want that out there, and then the audience, us average Joe's we almost missed having Bill there and all the fun from the event.
Speaker 1: I thought, listen, I'm not this isn't me throwing daggers at you. Greg. I know we're kind of now competitors.
Speaker 2: I see you in some ways as like a hungry young apprentice in this game. So I I don't want to come down on you hard. I'm just letting you know this was this was what was happening around the story.
Speaker 3: It's like me that that Belichick if he even contemplated in the eleventh hour not attending this, that if he's that sensitive, right, I don't such a such.
Speaker 1: I don't believe that I could believe that that he would be unhappy. I don't think. I also don't believe it really.
Speaker 3: Was about to Also, by the way it would have had the people the whole thing's written in, it's on teleprompter, it would have had to cause everyone to wipe out. That happens now, that's it. I don't need to be taught that. I understand that it would have been an annoyance. I thank you television man, but like it's like, that's not it's just that it would have been hyper annoying, like he was the centerpiece of the show.
Speaker 1: My point exactly. We almost lost them over here.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're you're trying to seek truth. I get it, Greg, but you know, but.
Speaker 4: Also there's different and maybe they calculate. I don't think Bill Belichick would have been so sensitive. And as for the surprise aspect, I have to guess for ninety five percent of the people watching that they did not know Belichick was gonna be on that anyways, not everyone is like living on.
Speaker 1: But then when he's on it, it also wasn't a surprise. What do you mean.
Speaker 3: I didn't find it surprising that I thought that either like Britt Belichick or Gazelle, one of the two would somehow getow.
Speaker 4: I would not have Gizelle would have been shocking to me. And I'm with you that.
Speaker 1: That toology doing like a ton of media, right.
Speaker 4: Tom Brady looked. You know, those were hard because it's it's his family. It's painful. He's getting all these karate jokes, you know.
Speaker 1: And I didn't.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen the whole thing, but I watched beginning like that in Belichick and enough so far just because it was out and that that's got to be painful, and it reminded me of the timing to this because we it's like, why is tom Brady doing this? Like I saw some people say like, oh, who would you want to roast next?
Speaker 1: Out of athletes?
Speaker 4: And I just can't imagine a there's enough people that are important enough that would that it would be this compelling, and then of the people important enough, like why would you even really want to do that? And it got me thinking of that the gestation project of this because because we know through our original reporting this was supposed to be a couple of years ago before he ever got divorced, that we thought he might be retiring, in part because this was like cautiously on an upcoming docket of what he was planning to do in his post life, and at that point it was too late to back out.
Speaker 1: Although he's Tom Brady, he could have backed out.
Speaker 4: And he came off great in it, and he took the jokes and he did fine when when he had some.
Speaker 1: Of the craft that was getting up on a dais and thrown out a threat.
Speaker 4: That made me wonder, and I I no information, but knowing how these things work, there are things that are off limits. Absolutely wonder Not much was often, but in terms of how tom Brady was treated.
Speaker 1: That made me wonder if that was off out and delving into it.
Speaker 2: I would imagine that was one of the agreements for the owner to come on this show do not involve certain conversations, and they did. Brady was very steadfast about that. Probably he was probably furious about it. Yeah, Actually he was fearing us, furious enough to get up and.
Speaker 1: Whisper in the ear.
Speaker 4: I do love that Belichick spent like, weirdly like a minute doing three Matt Lighte jokes, which was like, what that was one takeaway on a night that was great. I think for Patriots fans it did feel like a little bit of closure. Seeing Belichick and Brady go back and forth was awesome. Mad Patrios, I'm mad.
Speaker 2: I love even Yeah, and I totally could see that being the case, Like I could see why even as you know the way things ended. It's never fun when things end. But Bill and Tom ultimately being cool makes sense to me. They they went through so much together, They're linked forever in history.
Speaker 1: They love you love each other.
Speaker 2: I'm sure the owner and the coach situation, well that's recent. Yeah, And the way if I were Bill, the way that documentary, the Apple documentary played out, it wouldn't it wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Go down so easy.
Speaker 2: So he wasn't down to play ball in that respect, and uh, let's get to the news.
Speaker 1: Great job by the writers, by the way.
Speaker 3: They they nailed it, like the one like Tony Hinchcliff, who has his own show, like he these guys that probably Tom Brady's never heard of. For the most partly, he came up and thanked Gronk Forinchcliff.
Speaker 1: He's pretty big he is in that world and not like in the roast world.
Speaker 3: But he thanked Gronk for taking a break from writing letters to Santa to join them, like Gronk took about eight hundred like Rid he was had a.
Speaker 2: Great line making fun of Tom losing thirty million in crypto and he's like, even Gronk knows that you don't mess up no no real money, Grok no do is like yes, good joke.
Speaker 4: And uh yeah, friend of the show, our former core Chris Brockman, you know his his partner Sarah Tiana was one of the writers, and Gaily does a show with Dave Damasik was one of the writers.
Speaker 2: I'll connected my throwback podcast partner and Bosom Buddy Bob Cash and worked on the project as well. Fun uh so good stuff all fun. Let us now, and I think it was a big success too, good job seem get Also, never underestimate dropping something at the right time. The greatest example always be the last dance with Michael Jordan in the middle of COVID. But if you drop something like this on Sunday night, may fifth like it's gonna do well.
Speaker 3: The one mistake I made this was a grave mistake I reallysed about eighty two seconds into the affair was that I texted, like Luke and Colton, my children who are still young, It's like Dad's gonna be watching this Tom Brady event at the forum, like check it out and like it. You know, within about a minute into it, like everybody part had been mentioned, every swear that you could come up.
Speaker 1: Daddy, who's Aaron Hernandez. That would have been the least my waring.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you got a sharply worded tweet, no response from other parties involved. I meant, all right, let's get in to it. Odell Beckham, I'm.
Speaker 1: Pretty sure I mentioned this is definitely where he's gonna end up.
Speaker 2: He was always gonna end up in Miami playing for the Dolphins at some point in his life, and now it is upon US rap sheet reported that Miami's expected to sign veteran wide out Odell Beckham.
Speaker 1: One year deal up to eight point twenty five million, So that's myam. The base salary is three million here.
Speaker 2: Now, this was a guy who I think he made fifteen guaranteed with Baltimore. That was one of the worst free agency signings of last year. So this is now more in line with where Odell Beckham is now. I mean, I would assume he's finally in his thirties, probably about thirty one now. Feels like he's been around forever obviously, but yeah, he's not an old wide receiver, but he's had some major, serious injuries. It should be pointed out that in addition to the injuries, Gregie Baltimore kind of phased him out of the offense down the stretch and did not show interest in bringing him back. But if you want to spend positive, if you want to talk yourself into Odell Beckham yet again in the offseason going there as the third banana in the offense, maybe he gives them something at South Beach.
Speaker 1: I think he's a role player.
Speaker 4: Right now, he's getting paid as a low level wide receiver, low role player.
Speaker 1: Like maybe we're going to mention the DJ Shark signing. I don't know.
Speaker 4: He went to go ahead the Chargers and it's like Tim, those guys are making similar money.
Speaker 1: I think Shark is actually making more.
Speaker 4: So that's sort of the level I'm talking about, which is a third, fourth receiver. And when he was on the field last year, he was a potentially useful player just in that role and being on an offense with Waddle and with Tyreek Hill, like he's gonna be in really ideal circumstances and he could be helpful in that role because I going through their you know, lineup, they have a big drop off after those two. They have Braxton Barrios as their three. They don't really have a three. So he could contribute, but he just can't stay on the field. That was his biggest issue in Baltimore is like he couldn't stay healthy for more than three games in a row.
Speaker 1: Since maybe his fourth year. Because he can't stay healthy.
Speaker 4: Right there is a couple crossing patterns with Baltimore where he actually got the ball in the open fields, Like he still was pretty explosive, but he just couldn't stay healthier consistent.
Speaker 3: They drafted in the league Washington Do I think what I like about it is that the ceiling there aren't that there is only a handful of teams with an absolutely locked and loaded one and two at wide receiver.
Speaker 1: So clearly, yes, he's the third guy there.
Speaker 3: But I trust, like Mike McDaniel to get the most out of almost any player on that side of the ball more than I do Todd Monkin in the first year with a Ravens team that was trying to amp up and become more balanced. But it's like Odell did get better down down the stretch, but then the limited his role. So it's like, I kind of think this is a perfect landing spot. It always made sense Devil's advocate.
Speaker 2: I mean, the thing that the Dolphins need to get better at is being a late season football team, like being a kind of a badass team when the elements turn against you. And Odell Beckham wearing seventeen layers of closing, his entire face covered up except for his eyes in January something I could picture and don't imagine. He's that guy that's that rough and tumble guy to take you to the problem.
Speaker 3: That's also one of about eight players on offense that I don't trust to farewell in negative twenty three degree temperatures no matter what.
Speaker 4: Right, they need to get some home games finally, but yeah, he was frustrated and we were at that game in London. It was kind of a disaster. There were a couple of games where Lamar Jackson just didn't feel like he could trust that Odell would be in the right spot at the right time.
Speaker 1: And that's why I think total a major After that game the Titans.
Speaker 2: He was very bad the first half of the season, seemed to find his footing in the back half of the regular season, but then.
Speaker 1: Kind of lost his role in the offense down the stretch.
Speaker 2: Not the same type of player, but another high profile veteran receiver that hung on for a while, Toshaun Jackson. Remember at the end of his career, he would pop up everyone's while and still be making big plays, but was no longer a consistent player in an offense.
Speaker 1: I could see Odell being that for Miami.
Speaker 2: We shall see, all right, let's take a break and then we'll continue the news, all right, and other news let's it is light out there by the way, as you would think, so not a ton of news. So let's do some fifth year rookie deal options. The roundup a Nase Harris Steelers running back declined. The Cowboys not a surprise year. They declined Trey Lance's fifty year option. Of course, he was drafted number three overall a few years back. The Broncos do the same with the number two overall pick in that draft, Zach Wilson.
Speaker 1: Not a surprise there.
Speaker 2: Greg Newsom, Oda Oa, and Kitty pay among the options picked up for the fifth year.
Speaker 1: I thought that the Naji Harris was not surprising.
Speaker 3: I think Jalen Warren's gonna have a much bigger role, and I think they want to get faster. Greg Newsom was dangled in like trade talks going back like last offseason and throughout you know, round the trade deadline last year a little bit, so that I like that. I think Greg Newsom is like quietly an extremely solid cornerback. And if I'm the Browns and Jim Schwartz like, don't take anything away, just keep it going for as long as you can.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was actually a little surprised by the Naja Harris declining because because it's running back, it's only six point eight million dollars, they didn't want to lock into a one year, six point eight million dollar contract. That's he's not going to be thrilled about that. Right behind him, for instance, Travis Etn making a slightly less money because he's one pick later. You know, they picked up his option. I I think you look at some of the players that they like. Oh way was a little surprising to me, like thirteen point three million. He's been like slowly getting better. There were some nos out there, try on Chayanka, gotta know, Peyton Turner, who's you know, Eric Stokes. Those guys just haven't been on the field enough. Remember Alex Leatherwood not eligible in this draft, no longer in the NFL A Zaleen Collins, David Collins got to know. But Justin Fields was another one just checking a box like of course they're not picking it up. I guess it's one year, twenty five point seven million. But it just shows what a weird situation that bears. What I mean, that Steelers team and one like.
Speaker 3: Little note with Fields because remember we were talking about this thing that's been floated out that they could use fields as a return man, like that's possible, and I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I kind of think it's an interesting concept, But they know they have Cordero Patterson too, and they got them specifically, Like soon after that whole kickoff thing changed.
Speaker 4: To only one of those quarterbacks. That's that's hitting me now of the five taken got their.
Speaker 2: Tops in twenty twenty one draft MESSI not not for nothing, was the first draft after COVID shut down the entire world and most of college football.
Speaker 4: Darius Tony was a big note to not a not a surprise again, but just checking boxes here.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Alex Leatherwood.
Speaker 2: I was thinking when the Michael Pennox pick went down with Atlanta, and I was like, when's the last time there was a pick that was so head scratching or was immediately panned at such a high level. It was the Raiders taking Alex Weatherwe Alex Leatherwood, I think around twenty or so twenty one in that realm, and immediately I remember all the guys on the day as for NFL Network and everywhere else were like them through their notes.
Speaker 1: It's like I had him as maybe like a third round guy.
Speaker 2: He might be the ultimate example, and of course he flamed out immediately with the Raiders. He might be the ultimate example of why you don't just draft for a position or a need, you have to go best available player.
Speaker 1: In the Raiders, I think with Mike Mayock made that mistake.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a study out there that kind of over the last ten year shows where teams drafted and what like how much value according to like consensus big boards, where how it you know, even out and the best teams get the best value where they draft. And the Raiders were dead last over the last ten years and they made a lot of like zigging zagging picks that didn't work.
Speaker 4: The other one I thought of actually wasn't quite as big as Pennix, But in terms of a top pick shocking everyone was Cleveland Faroll, which was also mayok is actually his first pick, yep, and it was the number four overall pick, and everyone's like, wait, really, like he's a solid player, but no one thought he was a top fifteen player.
Speaker 3: They had multiple number ones in that draft and none of them were with the team anymore.
Speaker 2: And we talked about, you know, Jordan did that great deep dive of the Rams draft. The teams like the Raiders, for instance, that keep churning and starting over, not just at head coach. Sometimes you think, oh, oh, they fired a GM, they hired a new GM. In a lot of cases, you're bringing an entire new length football language and before you could even install a new one, and even tho, if it works, that guy's out and you're starting again. And I guess the examples of teams and one's the less time the Raiders win the.
Speaker 1: Super Bowl twenty five years ago, twenty three years ago. Not a lot of success when a playoff game.
Speaker 2: First, Yeah, all right, let's talk about the Saints.
Speaker 1: Mickey Loomis the GM.
Speaker 2: They made a move at the draft, drafting kool Aid McKinstry, who is a very toolsy cornerback. A lot of people believe kool Aid has a chance to be, you know, a star at corner. And then there's the situation with veteran Marshawn Latimore, once upon a time a big time draft pick by the Saints back in twenty seventeen. Now the idea is, are they looking to move Latimore with mcinsrey in the house. Here's what Loomis had to say on Mad Dog Sports Radio.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it doesn't mean anything. Marshan's have been a really good player for us for a good period of time. He's one of the leaders of our team. And and look like it's just like I said, you know, we can use as many corners as we can get, and we've got we've got a good group, a really good group, and they're gonna help each other and they're gonna help our team win.
Speaker 1: Greg they have a very uh talented cornerback room.
Speaker 2: What is the the idea why they would move Latimore is that their their perpetual issues with cap space and trying to finally gain some level of financial freedom.
Speaker 4: There was some reporting just last year that he wasn't happy and it was personal maybe between him and the coaching staff, and that's popped up. I think when it comes to trades though, and I've seen a lot of people like just throw it out, like, oh, what could be some trades that could come up this It's like trades aren't happening at this point. What is the point of getting a draft pick in a trade in the middle of the summer that you could just get after the season now if injuries happen and you're in training camp. That's where it's possible where a guy like a CD deuce, you know, shook loose from the Saints, And I could see Latimore being a guy like maybe in training camp once you get to like the middle till later, once you get like closer to cut days, but like from now until then, like those big name and receivers, like they're not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: The window passed.
Speaker 3: I might also say that if you lose Lattimore because of Dennis Allas, Dennis Allen's second very notable like internal tip with the player, that's how you lost Garner Johnson, like that, these are both from your secondary. You trade them post June one or go or cut them. You still are dealing with a lot of dead cap money. So it's like it would only save them about four million this year, cost them ten plus and dead cap money ten plus and dead cap money the year after seven plus the year after that, and then still the year after that. So it's it's not that financially, it's not financial wizardry necessary.
Speaker 4: I believe he might have been an ex Saint if they got like a nice offer, but people are just just about waiting for these picks. For veterans, which is crazy because then they get in the draft and they're throwing like future picks around willy nilly to move up ten spots.
Speaker 2: But then the Viking game, but they gave up Yeah, like and again the veteran trade Tex You're right Latimore. It's like, oh, man, I would love to have Latimore on my team, but it would cost me like a second round pick.
Speaker 1: Maybe No, I don't get the fourth, right, go get them.
Speaker 2: If your team needs a corner we're gonna talk about needs in a little bit.
Speaker 3: You're also hoping like it's nice to say kool aid McKinstry is like fills and needs like, okay, not a lot of cornerbacks don't work.
Speaker 2: So and I just want to say about two minutes ago, I want to apologize to the listeners to you guys as well, but I'm working with an alternate laptop today.
Speaker 1: Couldn't locate my work laptop.
Speaker 4: And the concerning the biggest concerning development with one of our laptopsince I spilled coffee on mine twice in six months.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know you know me, but like those who know me on a truly personal, like at home level, I lose stuff all the time, okay, and it usually turns like a laptop. Yeah, like stuff that you would never think, how could that be lost?
Speaker 3: You wouldn't just have left it out like a coffee bean or something possible.
Speaker 1: I went to the car wash after the show.
Speaker 2: I was a true workingman on Thursday, and took the bag out of the car when I was vacuuming, put the bag back in.
Speaker 1: How would the laptop get out?
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter, So the point being, I'm using the laptop, yeah, and I had the volume up, and then I got a text from a friend and it can't be scrubbed out by atap because I was talking at the time of the ding. So now, now, about three minutes ago, there's tens of thousands of listeners who are gonna hear that ding, and they're gonna go check their phones and then they're gonna look at it and it's not going There's not gonna be a text, And it's because of me and my failure to hit the mute button on a rogue laptop.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm so apology will go a long way to the tens of thousands that will, obviously, but I like, I'm glad you mentioned it because that's the same a similar sound effect we use when someone says something that's very factual or astute or right.
Speaker 1: Next level or really anything at all.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, but you were you were rolling through a setup point and then got a ding, and I'm like, why did Eric rear? Why did you get that sound effect? You said nothing out of the ordinary, so makes me feel better.
Speaker 1: That would really.
Speaker 2: Mess with the listeners if Eric replaces his ding with the traditional Apple texting, don't do.
Speaker 1: It is off the charts here, I love, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: What else is in the news? Quote unquote news JJ Watt he retired. I think I lost the sangwich because I thought Watt would come back last year. I kind of thought he'd end up playing with his brother TJ and Pittsburgh, but he stayed out of football last year, did some TV work. But JJ Watt says if his original football team, the Houston Texans, and they're head coach, pick up the phone, he'd answer, let's listen to this.
Speaker 6: Twelve great years in this league, and I'm very thankful to have walked away healthy and playing great. I mean, I told Demiko last year, I said, don't call unless you absolutely need it. But if you ever do call, I'll be there. He knows, not the call unless he absolutely needs it.
Speaker 4: This is the last year.
Speaker 6: I'll tell him that because I'm not going to keep training the way I've been training. But he knows that if he ever truly does need it, I'll be.
Speaker 1: There for him.
Speaker 2: Notable Brandon K. Scott with the credit there on Twitter. Before he made that last comment, I was going to say, for a guy who's been out of football now for over a year, he looks exactly like JJ Watt many many times, and you could figure out why. It's natural when they step away from the game, they stop training at the same level and their physique gets slimmer or whatever. He looks he looks like he's still what was he six six to sixty or whatever.
Speaker 3: We saw him at the Super Bowl and he's not like a normal human.
Speaker 2: And he's saying he's training too, he's football ready right now. Still, that is notable to me and something to keep.
Speaker 3: And I saw a thing where he went through and I kind of love finding out about this stuff, Like he went through what his diet is to maintain like the like the watch shape, and it's like seven thousand plus calories a day, but a year old still yeah, well, I mean that's that's what he was doing when he was a player, and so if he looks exactly the same, it's got to be in the realm of that if he wants to.
Speaker 1: This is the power of CJ.
Speaker 3: Strouds me because he left the Texans with you know, some issues with ownership and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: But it's like, suddenly this team looks like a.
Speaker 2: Super Bowlso say the power of Dimiko Ryans, who is sure JJ Watt's former teammate with Houston. They were once the stalwarts of a defense together and now he is the head coach and he's got obviously the respect of JJ.
Speaker 4: So the off season, the off season news moves slow in some ways, but whenever you just get a little bite, suddenly it moves fast. And they actually someone tracked down Tamiko Ryans, who is at a Texans event today. He says, I need him now anytime JJ is ready to go, I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: In as a situational tess be incredible.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we're not going to get sucked into the May six rumor mill.
Speaker 1: But it's good to relay s do.
Speaker 4: It and part of the reason I think what was interesting to talk about is let's need throughout this on the Rich Eisen Show last week too, just that that Aaron Donald, like, hey, I had mentioned to Aaron when he retired. You know, we had a guy in Eric Weddle who just kind of jumped off the couch to join the playoffs. So maybe if if you'd want to do that, that'd be option, you know, it'd be an option for you. He says he doubts Aaron Donald would actually do.
Speaker 1: That, but I don't know. The RAMS might see that happening.
Speaker 4: The RAMS might ask, and they actually structured his contract and retirement in a way that that would be very doable if Aaron Donald would want to. But he says that he might try to. They might try to tempt him, but that they don't know if they.
Speaker 3: Should do more of these, like veterans with special powers are brought onto the scene, like Joe Flacco, like in November and December. Don't make them go through all this nonsense leading up to it. If the team's in position, you bring Aaron Donald back in for sixty days and he dominates and then gets a Super Bowl ring.
Speaker 1: Do it love to see it. There's just a category of players like that.
Speaker 2: Justin James Watt turned thirty five years old in March. All right, that's what's happening in the news. Let's take a break and talk about some outstanding team needs. I don't mean outstanding like, oh, it's outstanding. I mean outstanding like a debt, like a tax bill.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll be right back. We are back, We're back. Continue.
Speaker 3: I mean. The only upside here is that I didn't like, somehow verbalize a third version of that over the double version that already exists.
Speaker 2: Could happen though like that, it could happen, it wouldn't be like that wasn't on purpose either, and if it did happen again, it would have the.
Speaker 3: Triple only happened that time because your directions were fuzzy compared to the direction you gave like a Jordan on our last show, or Colleen, like the ones given to me were fuzzy, and I faltered. And I don't blame myself.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I love it so much.
Speaker 2: Unfinished business, that's see, that was the one I was trying to get that out at the top of the show segment. Unfinished business. Teams are now pretty much, and there are still GREGI, there are still roster moves to be made. There's not a lot of options out there, but there are options. There are players out there, and there will be cuts and all that stuff, and maybe jj WA coomes out of retirement.
Speaker 1: You never know.
Speaker 2: But as things stand out, Greg, there's gonna be teams that enter the season with with void.
Speaker 1: So let's get into them. Let's talk about them.
Speaker 2: Maybe they're not, maybe they only seem like a roster issue, and we'll have a conversation and it won't be that way. And I'll get this one going, and I will start with a team that I think everyone agrees is a bit of a intellectual curiosity right now.
Speaker 1: It is ATP's favorite team. It is the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 2: And you could go in maybe a couple of different directions for this team that's been so close to getting over the hump, but they haven't yet. I was gonna say, did they make it to the AFC title Game yet? With Josh Allen once Yeah, yeah. On one trip to.
Speaker 1: The game is Stefan Diggs staring at the confetti No no rough rough.
Speaker 2: And now they're trying to go out at a different angle with some turnover on the roster. I'll talk about the wide receivers because I'm curious in general here this is not just this offseason, but when you look at their depth chart, where's the investment been at this position during the Stephan Diggs and now the post Diggs era. We know the Bills traded back twice out of the first round. They took Keon Coleman last month in the second round. We'll see how he turns out. But I always think that that with wide receivers, in most cases there are special cases, and there could be a couple of special cases at the top of this draft with Marvin Harrison and and neighbors and a doonsay, but banking on a first year wide receiver to fill your void if you have a big one at wide receiver is risky business. And that they're kind of asking that if Kean Coleman right now, however, Coleman, he looks like a lottery pick as a second rounder compared to the rest of the depth chart. Gabe Davis was a fourth round pick in twenty twenty. He's in Jacksonville now. Khalil Shakir was a fifth rounder in twenty two just In Shorter, a fifth rounder in twenty three, and then you look at who else they have their free agent acquisitions, Curtis Samuel, kJ Hamler, Chase Claypool. Those guys are all second round picks, but on other teams, and they're two varying degrees, in my opinion, depreciated assets. Former fourth round pick Mac Hollins is also on this team. Now cool a lot of guys, yeah names and listen. I love Josh Allen. Actually Josh and I are spirit Canines, as Jordan pointed out last week, But I don't want to watch number seventeen throwing to a bunch of second rate playmakers like Patrick Mahomes was a year ago.
Speaker 1: And I'll end with a movie quote here, Marky.
Speaker 2: Like Basher don Chieadle's character and Ocean's eleven said it will be nice working with proper villain. Actually said it in a terrible English accent. Yeah, and I have a terrible English accent, so I'll do it. It'll be nice working with proper villains again. Alan will have to wait at least another year for the dawn of that reality, because right now these are not proper villains in my opinion.
Speaker 1: At the wide receiver.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they did such a good job early in Allen's career building up around him quickly, and they're in a they're having to move through a different phase of all that. Dalton Kincaid is a big factor, though. I kind of think, you know what, You've got a real weapon in him at tight end. But you're right, it's a bunch of dudes that are like names alone, like Andy Isabella. You've got like a key on Coleman. You're hoping right away contributes. They've already said like he has to, and Josh Allen knows he has to.
Speaker 1: I don't love that for any.
Speaker 3: First year wide receiver, especially early on, because it's like going from college to pros and different playbooks, different schemes, Like there is an adjustment there. But I also don't just like wide out rooms where if you get one injury here to a key figure, you are staring at bottom of the barrel talent around Josh Allen.
Speaker 4: I like this group more than you guys do, just because I like Curtis Samuel like I can't get I did too.
Speaker 1: I would say I didn't.
Speaker 2: I felt even when I was doing that set up that I don't He's not much of a depreciated asset, but he has bounced around the league a little.
Speaker 4: Bit, and he's a role player. Your guys are right that there's a bunch of role players. Coleman was a divisive draft prospect. Some people had him as like a third or fourth round guy, other's Bucky Brooks, and plenty of other people had him as like a top five receiver in this class, like a physical guy who I thought would make more sense in the slot. My problem is, like I like Shakir, he's shown he's an NFL player, he's a.
Speaker 3: As a like a as I got next to a one and someone, yeah, exactly, as like a three, as like an inside player who's gonna get open.
Speaker 4: Samuel's profiles a little similar to me to Shakir. And then you have Coleman, who I thought would do his best work on the inside, and you have Kincaid, who to me is part of this, and Dawson Knox is part of this. And that's what you're hoping for, is that an offensive line and the tight ends and the running backs essentially make up for these receivers. But yeah, you mentioned, I didn't even realize how many like oh, he's on this team. Claypool maccollins. Mc collins can play. He's like a fourth receiver who was a special teamer. Andy Isabella is probably not making this team, but he is on this team. kJ Hammler like I loved for a few minutes and then he's had devastating injuries unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Like, there's just a lot of names, a lot of guys. I don't want to put you on the spot, Eric unless you know, but I'm gonna check. When's the last time they used a first round pick on a wide receiver? Digs they traded for They traded a first round pick to get Digs.
Speaker 1: I mean, off top of my head, are we going back to Stevie Watkins, Sammy Watkins? You're right, they traded up.
Speaker 2: They traded a bundle to get and maybe that's a reason why the organizationally because Watkins never really came through, but they traded up to get Watkins in twenty fourteen, which was the Dark ages of the Buffalo Bills. But that's the last time that they've gone in that direction, all right.
Speaker 1: Mark, you want to go next? Yeah? For me?
Speaker 3: Looking around, I like this exercise because you're like looking at our lads and kind of seeing where things just do not work it.
Speaker 1: Can we hit the Big Funk means a second couple of waters be brought to Dan. Everyone.
Speaker 4: Really, you gotta subscribe on YouTube check us out to see Big.
Speaker 1: Funk step up. They Big Funk does it all for water.
Speaker 2: Big Funk is not only a gifted producer and social man.
Speaker 1: When Mystic Dan forgets to get the Mystic Dan, that's pretty good. Actually, I like that Big Funk does it all gets the water. He does it all? Sorry, Mark, what.
Speaker 3: Are the odds that I'd get eight words into uh my segment point here? And not only are is like you know, fluids being brought into the room, but we're breaking into song and dance.
Speaker 2: I was parched, and I thought it was affecting my performance.
Speaker 3: I was a psychic connection that allowed that Bark has a point here.
Speaker 4: It's obviously not going to be you that's getting interrupted by that by Ranel.
Speaker 1: I interrupt myself all the time, right coming in though I mean and doing this song.
Speaker 4: But for some reason, if it was me or Mark who's gonna it just by chance, who's gonna get interrupted? I would put my life savings that it's.
Speaker 3: Marked the timing well the timing is the timing is a lever pole.
Speaker 2: Understand that, but but to see it as a lever pole, at least on the surface is incorrect. But if you're saying, if I'm subconsciously pull on the lever, it's not that deep and it's certainly within the realm of reason.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't think it's miles into the subcons can turn this up a little bit.
Speaker 1: That is nice.
Speaker 2: Fuck, you need to use this in your personal life, if you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I'd love to discover that.
Speaker 3: You know, when you when we pass off the earth and you can see all different periods of human times. Yeah that whenever you think of like the medieval ages and you have like a floutest who's like, you know that it's very boring music. But what if it was just this and we don't think we created this, but this was what was happening, like the Soulful.
Speaker 2: The soulful Floutest is an underrated musician, all right, without further ado, Mars.
Speaker 3: This feels like it's also now following it up with some sort of mundane football common is absurd. I like, what like a lot of these like running back rooms have a bunch of guys. I don't know what why the New York Giants who have issues, they already have issues, think that Devin Singletary is going to be a capable post to Kwon Barkley lead horse. I think he's a fine guy to have as part of your running back room. They drafted Tyrone Tracy's a fifth rounder. They've got Dion Jackson, Eric Gray. One of these guys is going to go down with it some sort of an injury or malady. And it's like, suddenly you're taking a quarterback you don't trust who's injury prone, and Daniel Jones or fill in the blank there and say, we're not sure even if they stay healthy, you've got a capable running game. I'll add to that that we don't know what's happening with Darren Waller at tight end.
Speaker 1: So you've got Daniel Bellinger exactly. This sounds like no other real breaking news, but.
Speaker 3: Right, but how many other players are like It's like we're into month three of whispers that Darren Waller doesn't maybe want to play football again.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of other stuff going on there.
Speaker 2: We're never seeing that man out of football field ever again.
Speaker 1: Last year when he was public about it, he said, I he's on records.
Speaker 3: This also just isn't the same version they were. I think we were last what version of Darren Waller're gonna get? Like, we're one year later into not being condensurate. It's that guy they drafted, Theo Johnson at tight end, who some people were talking up. But you know, you just are taking your running back position, your tight end position you've got you had. You have very little wide receiver before Elik Neighbors. It's like this offense, it's the this is the crew that build up around Josh Allen like they I mean, these these were connected to that growth period and we saw what the coaching staff could do with that. And it's not happening around whatever quarterback they actually want to play, because there's questions about that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wait a second, Can I just say they took one of the big three wide receivers though?
Speaker 1: I like that, but I didn't list wide receiver.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying that if the wide receiver was a burning need, and so they did address that. You can't address everything, but if you're gonna lose Saquon Barkley, who frankly, when they go to the playoffs two seasons ago, and that was smoking mirrors to some degree. But Sequon had one of those seasons.
Speaker 2: Can I say, I don't think that was a terrible move to pay a better than running back with injury.
Speaker 1: No, but get you.
Speaker 3: But but you're now telling us that if Devin Singletary is your lead guy and question marks behind him.
Speaker 1: That's riskly.
Speaker 2: I guess my counter would be Devin Singletary, while not flashy and certainly not have the name brand value of Saquon Barkley, he might actually be a better investment for what he gives you and what he costs compared to what the Eagles just paid.
Speaker 1: I don't think right.
Speaker 3: I don't think the argument is I think you should have turned around and overpaid for a running back that has durability.
Speaker 1: Is but you would have had to to keep them in the bills. So you don't see that.
Speaker 3: But you go there's there was months and months and chances to go to get other teams, like the wide receiver room in Buffalo. You're throwing a lot of darts. We'll see what works. There's not a lot of relikable darts.
Speaker 4: They got caught flat footed. Yes, at running back because they gave Devin Singletary nine and a half million guaranteed.
Speaker 2: It's like, that's that's a lot, and and that's a fair point when you factor and how much you paid. I had no idea he was getting that much guaranteed. But my only point is, at least how I looked at the exercise. If I see the team actually actively kind of going trying to address it, I'm gonna give them a little bit of a pass. Like the Bills, I feel like they didn't. They weren't aggressive enough with their wide receivers. The Giants are trying to do it, but they're not. It's not gonna happen in one day. I don't know what they're trying to do it.
Speaker 3: At running back, they signed like I mean, a little bit every I mean everyone in these position groups.
Speaker 1: They've added someone somewhere. I got a lot of work to do.
Speaker 4: I agree with you don't see any and that's a position you can usually find some free agents late in the game. But again they went quite quickly. I'm not sure who that would be. Maybe a Kareem Hunt, maybe a Latavious Murray. But you're not gonna get excited.
Speaker 2: Let's see haven't Singletary got nine and a half guaranteed, dem I missing.
Speaker 4: There had some nice metrics last year in terms of like make Tony Pollard miss and Tony Pollard got similar maybe a little more, all right.
Speaker 2: If Neighbors is a stud though, they're gonna be a lot better on offense if the quarterback can get it to them.
Speaker 4: Hollard got ten point four million guaranteed, so pretty similar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so maybe we should stop crying poverty for the running backs.
Speaker 1: It's all turning around.
Speaker 4: Now, Okay. I might have misunderstood this exercise. No, I don't think so. It's unfinished business. It's unfinished business, and so I didn't look at it from a team perspective out at more like league wide.
Speaker 1: I'm into the I'm into the contract.
Speaker 4: So I just let's start with I could divide this up into wide receiver deals and quarterback deals, but let's go wide receiver first.
Speaker 1: I made little categories. I like it all right.
Speaker 4: Here are some wide receiver deals I expect justin Jefferson. We might have to wait around till like August for this, but I think it's it's gonna happen the way they've way public.
Speaker 2: This is quite literally unphysical finished business business.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think justin Jefferson, Brandon Ayuk, Nico Collins, those would be three wide receivers I think are going to get good contracts this offseason. One I want to put in this category, but I don't rule out the Cowboys for messing it up, is CD Lamb, who's also a free agent next year, Like, you got to do this right, Like I think they will do it, but now at this point, I don't know. I don't I don't know what's going on in Dallas. And then another category is my don't wait around for it to get too late, And that would be kind of be next year's crew, which is Jalen Wattle, Jamar Chase, and Drake London. The teams that are getting done early. We've talked about it save a little money. So that's just like the unfinished wide receiver business. And there's been a lot a lot of chatter, especially with JJ and Iyuk, but in the end, I think those deals get done.
Speaker 1: That's my unfinished bass.
Speaker 2: That's a little like housekeeping, if you will. I like that, who's out there and what's the one that the least likely of that group? You think to get a deal.
Speaker 1: CD.
Speaker 4: I think because I don't know, because they've they've waited too long. You got you should try to get it in before Jefferson does it.
Speaker 2: I think they're keeping CD before Dak at this point. Yeah, I kind of like some of the breadcrumbs going on around.
Speaker 4: Here Eco Collins, maybe just because he's not quite at that level. But I think they know what they have and they have a ton of cap space, so he would make a lot of sense. Let's do the quarterback too. While I'm on the contract beat, and these might be more interesting. I've seen people push back that is GoF actually got to get this deal.
Speaker 1: I still expect golf. Did you hear those Lions fans in Detroit? Right? You can't let that guy.
Speaker 4: It is a tricky contract perhaps of how many years of guaranteed money you're gonna give. But he'll get a nice raise goff to And I think Jordan Love gets paid this year because I think Green Bay is smart. I think the contract they gave him last year was a sneaky great contract, a two year deal.
Speaker 1: Give him a little cushion.
Speaker 4: They didn't give him his fifth year option, but I think they get contracts Dak it looks like it is a big fat no, which is crazy. And then just kind of like keep an eye out on Trevor.
Speaker 1: Maybe they just wait for him to get to his fifthyear option, which is fine, He's not a free agent next year.
Speaker 4: Trevor and Purty my unfortunate. What did you call it, Avatar? I mean, I am now brock Purty black party might be the most underpaid player in the league. Whether you're a huge brock pretty guy or a middle brock purty guy. He's getting paid like a seventh round pick for starting quarterback on one of the best teams in the NFL.
Speaker 1: So those are two to watch.
Speaker 3: I think the one in there that like a couple of things happening, because let's there is a world where Dak Prescott doesn't stay with the Cowboys after this upcoming season. And then you're the Dolphins and you're trying to figure out, if you're Mike McDaniel, like what how much you really want to invest in Tua? Like contract for Tua when maybe a quarterback becomes available in the off season, like are like I'm still confounded by what to do with Tua.
Speaker 1: I know that like the from certain metrics.
Speaker 3: He looks pristine, but like watching too, it's like, am I gonna give this guy a giant contract?
Speaker 4: They just seem like they are very positive about it, and he's positive about it. It just says to me they've made progress and they're they're both kind of think it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: All right, So you rock my world about that singletary thing. So I look, I love I did some digging here. So the running back market.
Speaker 1: You're just not interested in. What's a party gotta be?
Speaker 4: That's a tricky contract, Dan.
Speaker 1: I also think that.
Speaker 4: Is it he worth more than he would never get more money than Trevor. By the way, I.
Speaker 2: Don't want to say anything about Brock because I don't want to get Mark upset that I'm still not totally sold on Rock and maybe the Niners aren't.
Speaker 1: You well, you should be. You should be worried about getting me upset.
Speaker 2: You know, kept me up. That wasn't my compar comparison. I loved that it was uh because it got you fired up. But that was Jordan saying that you were Brock Birdie. That really stuck with Greg.
Speaker 3: We were as we were leaving the studio, you were still parsing that in your mind and verbally with us.
Speaker 1: Just give me Philip Rivers someone that's fun.
Speaker 2: At least, you know, well, I think it was all active qbs though.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so you're you're right, You're absolutely right.
Speaker 2: He got Devin got nine and a half fully guaranteed, which is more than what Derreck Henry got fully guaranteed. And uh, I'll just throw one more out there that to the point though, nine and a half is nine and a half. But Saquon got twenty twenty five and a half.
Speaker 1: He got it, he got the contract five and a half. Not to like, not to hash it.
Speaker 3: You're you're looking at it through the lens of like, should they have re signed Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 2: No, we've moved on from that conversation, and at least I have. I'm more just like looking at how that market shook out in hindsight. Now let's move on, Let's go through another round. Let's do it here. Wait, go where do I want to go? Where do I want to go? Where do I want to go? All right, let's steck at wide receiver and let's talk about the Ravens. So you know they addressed cornerback offensive guard in the first and second rounds. I trust the process and Baltimore always will, but I don't like how it all ended up for Lamar here because there's a lot. There's a lot being put on Rashad Bateman finally becoming that dude first round pick back in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Do I trust Zay Flowers? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do I think Zay Flowers can progress and even become a star.
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: But then after Zay and after of course Mark Andrews, you have again Bateman, you have Nelson Aguilar, you have a fourth round pick, devontees Walker, you know Darthrow, Deontay Hardy, Tylan Wallace.
Speaker 1: You have a bunch of guys, just a bunch of dudes kind of back where you were. And here's the issue.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to go crazy in the sense that if you have what Lamar brings to the table, and you have Mark Andrews, who is one of the best playmaking tight ends in the sport, and Zay who could become like a all pro type player if things go the right way, but this team, to me, is still one injury away to either of those guys to being right back to where they always seem to be where they are shorthanded and struggling, perhaps in January, to find a way to make the offense go.
Speaker 1: So why why are we not learning?
Speaker 2: Like to me, the Miami Dolphins is another example from what happened in their last game moving forward, I just don't get it.
Speaker 1: I'm with you. I do wonder if.
Speaker 4: They felt like there was a receiver drop off before they ended up taking Nate Wiggins with the thirty pick. He was a cornerback and like they were pretty interesting receivers on the board Ken Coleman and we saw Lagett and who went in the second round. But I would have thought they would have liked to get out of that that pick with the receiver, because that's it's not a great group and you're going into the season with major questions there and on the offensive line where the guard positions and right tackle or shaky they they weirdly have more questions to me than a lot of the AFC, like good teams, And yet I see that they're like they're over under and it's not showing up in Vegas yet, like they're being seen as this, Like we're coming off a one seed and we're the favorite in the AFC North in our over unders eleven and a half, and I'm not so sure they have a lot of questions.
Speaker 3: They're always a team that it's gonna find like two or three guys between now and the start of the season that plugs some holes. But I think it's like with offensive line, like where are some of these guys gonna go? They drafted Roger Rosengarden, Andrew Vorheis, who was a pick last year, was injured, is coming back and like getting fairly well praised by the coaching staff. But it's like there are are a lot of departures here. There were like fourteen key figures that left, and suddenly the Ravens are back. I think there's back where you were at wide receiver. We're like you kind of appeased Lamar a year ago, and I'm with you on Rashad Bateman. It's like there's moments where you see it, but like there's no evidence that this guy's going to suddenly make a major leap here.
Speaker 2: He's I want to, you know, I want to call him a sunken cost, but at a certain point you have to start seeing him, stop seeing him as the guy that you wanted him to be I'm just looking at his three years in the league. He he finally played you know, close to a full season last year, sixteen games and did not produce at a very high level at all.
Speaker 1: Thirty two or three sixty seven and one.
Speaker 2: The season before was you know, injuries wiped out most of the year. You know, he only started four games as a rookie in twenty one. So it's you're really banking on his development in this offense. If not, it's a problem, Greg, Who's that mark your next?
Speaker 3: You know, a team that like I always feel I'm picking on these guys and I'm not trying to, but it's just like it's hard to see what's happening here with the Raiders because like, fine, even if you like Gardner Minshew, like there's a quarter this is one of the weirder quarterback situations in the in the league where it's like you have an interim coach that became the full time coach and you're going into this new campaign and there was all this kind of like I like Antonio appears more than you, Dan, but I think that the Raiders players like them.
Speaker 1: But you're going into a core.
Speaker 3: Into a tough AFC West campaign with at best like a C plus situation at quarterback, if not a lot worse, especially if there's any sort of injury there. They're one, they're running back room Alexander Madison, not in love with Alexander Madison's You're mere white, a mere Abduela right now is listed as their starter by PFF. I know that's just I'm not wort of laughing at that. That that's funny that that's how that roster looks at sure, and I mean, it's fine, but I don't I'm not in love with that. But then they're at cornerback. They didn't have a chance because they you going pad your tight end room. Now, I don't rock Bauers make sense, but beyond Jack Jones, they are very inexperienced at corner. And you're in a you're in a division with Justin Herbert. I understand it might be Justin Herbert handing the ball off ten times more times a game, but you can't get out of the without a loaded secondary. And it's guys like Nate Hobbs and Jacorey and Bennett. They took a fifth round flyer Onto Kamari and Richardson there, but it's like that was a need they didn't address it correctly because they have so many other needs. And the Raiders to me, don't look a lot any better than they did at the end of last season.
Speaker 1: They didn't want to pay Josh Jacobs. I get that. I think actually, no problem with the wise move. No problem with that.
Speaker 2: They got Gardner Minshew, who played pretty well for the Colts last year, and there's a pretty decent chance. It sounds like if Michael Pennix or one of those other quarterbacks is still on the board when the Raiders picked, they would have went in that direction. But at least they have a guy in Minshew that could hold the fort. So I'm not even going really crazy there, even if it's not exciting. But you mentioned if you have a huge weakness on your team and you have an entire offseason to address it, in the back end of their defense, it seems like they are very vulnerable.
Speaker 4: I'm always wary of the defense, Like you close really strong, you finish on a streak, and you just think like that's our defense now. It usually doesn't carry over, like because on paper, you're right Mark talented up front, but the back end is not a very talented group. The Bears are kind of the other team that stick with me a little bit about that. They're just assuming that their defense totally cares over but carries over. But they've at least invested more in terms of picks than the Raiders have.
Speaker 1: All Right, the Bears, Greggy, all Right.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna dip into the free agency zone again and ask where do the cornerbacks go?
Speaker 1: Maybe where do the tackles go?
Speaker 4: Because I think these are the only positions where there's actually some players available that are worth caring about. Stefan Gilmour can still play. I mentioned the Packers as a possibility in every Packers fan that apparently has a Twitter count is like, we roasted him, No thanks, I.
Speaker 1: Get you know.
Speaker 4: He had a bad pre like postseason game against the Packers. I think it was Dantavian Wicks kind of cooked him up. Gilmore was a little banged up by the end of the year, and that's a risk for an older player. But he was a good player last year. He was a plus starter, so he'll help some teams somewhere. Adri Jackson is available. He can still play. I think when he's healthy. Steven Nelson is just the guy who fills out like a thousand snaps every year and can play a little bit. A Kela Weatherspoon was a late signing from the Rams last year and played quite well. So those are four guys who to me can play some ball and are still out there. And then almost any team could use cornerbacks, but some of the most interesting ones to me would be Packers, Colts, Texans, Jags, Chargers, I would throw in their Falcons, forty nine Ers, Cardinals, Panthers. I mean, there's so many teams that could use cornerbacks, but those guys could go in and actually help you, I think sooner than later, actually step in and help.
Speaker 3: Some of those guys are like waiting till whether there's they can up their contract big time if there's injuries, or it's like the right team suddenly needs them at the closet.
Speaker 4: Right Gilmore and especially Gilmore there I think actually will get decent money. By decent, I mean like eight million or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll handcuff that with the last one I had, since it it's right in this category. The jag Wars in their secondary I reached out to our original boss, Mark Sessler justin Hathaway now working up there in the Bay Area for NBC, and despite well, he is a Florida on the Jaguars City Jaguars fan, right, he's from Florida, justin I feel like every city you ever.
Speaker 1: Mentioned, he knows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been there at some point anyway, justin huge Jags fan. And I asked him, like, what were your thoughts about their team and what the holes were, and he was not thrilled that they traded back in the first round when they had a chance to grab both of those top cornerbacks, and then when they trade back to twenty three, the Eagles took one of the big cornerbacks right in front of him. But then you still had well Quiny and Mitchell's and the Eagles you had Terry and Arnold still there. They went with the wide receiver, and we've talked about that that it felt like the Jags had got boxed in a little bit after what happened with Calvin Ridley, So you can't kill him for that. But then they waited until the third round to take a corner and then you look at their depth chart and you look at the team that's coming off very disappointing.
Speaker 1: Ending, especially on defense. Ronald Darby.
Speaker 2: They brought in who's, you know, a veteran guy, but they're asking him to kind of anchor things back there.
Speaker 1: He's been a journey. He's a definition of a journey right right now.
Speaker 2: Where he did a one and done where in Baltimore last year. So we'll see what happens with the Jags. But that felt like a place they maybe should have been more aggressive and now they are perhaps vulnerable.
Speaker 3: Took another one of those teams where like so many mocks had this type of position cornerback going to Jacksonville and it doesn't happen right, and it's like, well, that was a burnie knee.
Speaker 1: That's why they were. People were saying that.
Speaker 4: There's only so many of these guys out there too. I do feel like it was a thing this year that free agency went faster. Guys, there's less guys maybe that are still out there. But I look at these three or four guys and think they could help them. They yeah, they are maybe the number one team there.
Speaker 2: And then maybe on the old a little more connective tissue here. You could also at the Jags and their defense. Obviously they have Josh Allen and he's awesome, but I don't know if there's some with Trayvon Walker, some Rashad Bateman DNA there where they're not willing to admit that he's not going to be the other guy on the side across from Allen. So they're rolling with him and hoping he's going to develop, which makes sense he's entering what his third year. But they might not have enough pass rush either, And these are problems in a division where you know, it could be tough to defend with some of the exciting players in really all everywhere in that division.
Speaker 1: Now, with CJ.
Speaker 2: Strouds, Rise Richardson coming back, of course, we shall see.
Speaker 4: They also have a new defensive coordinator, Ryan Nielsen. They fired Mike Caldwell and Nielsen strong mustache game. If you check out his profile on the Jaguars website. Was one of those guys that, like everyone who's a tape head was like, Wow, I love what Ryan Nielsen did with the Falcons last year, really creative, Like really Max dw like did a good job. And then and I don't really doubt it, but they were bad defense, So I don't know what to make of it.
Speaker 1: That is of them.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at this mustache up here, Greg. It is'srue and trude here, but that's nice.
Speaker 4: It's really something speaking of it's from seem Valley, which is known it's like the home of cops in southern California.
Speaker 1: And he kind of looks like a cop.
Speaker 4: What the home of like the lot, No, a lot of cops like live in seem Me Valley.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's like a cop haven. Oh yeah, he looks like and he looks like a twelve year veteran.
Speaker 3: A lot of cops in else Goundo too, Uh do we? I guess well, that little.
Speaker 1: That that Eric gave me a good point as a real so cow guy. There you go. Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: My little hometown of Pearl River, New York, a lot of cops at firefighters took the Metro North into the city. You got to be within a certain you gott to be within a certain demo, like in terms of mileage from the city, and my town was just within that limit and had mass transportation.
Speaker 1: That's all part of a tu mark.
Speaker 3: I've ridden Metro North probably six hundred times, and I miss it.
Speaker 1: It's wonderful. It's a wonderful way to get around town.
Speaker 2: Shout out to the NYPD and New York Fire Department absolutely for what they do.
Speaker 1: Shout out to what they've done North workers too. Oh, that's one thing we all have in common.
Speaker 4: I was taking the Metro North on an almost daily basis when I was working up at Ronal World.
Speaker 1: That hell. Shout out to New Jersey and NBAC.
Speaker 2: They've also dealt with a lot of drunk people over the years. An angry businessman going home to a house that no longer feels like a home.
Speaker 4: Everyone would always talk about the bar car because the bar car was still there when I was there, Like, shout out to the bark. The actual bar car was there, but there was no more bar. You were allowed to drink there, but people would talk about the good old day.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah you could, Like you could you sit there with a beer with a napkin around it, a canned beer and just stare out as the you know, the towns float by you.
Speaker 1: It's a nice with your friends, wonderful thing. Anybody get a PBA card from a friend of a friend. Yeah, years, I had it throughout my New York stay. You got an old guy? What does it stand for? Pro Bowlers Association? I think it's policeman's benevolent.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well here's the move back then, Like I remember my dad did this and it was savvy because you get one of those you do you do donate to the police, so you've done it, but you get the sticker that you put on your on your windshield or on the side, and then they when they when you get pulled over invariably for speeding, Like the first thing the cops see is that you donate to the police and they and you're on your way.
Speaker 2: Well, the other one, even if you're a guy, you're it's a little bit of a tricky move for people I don't know who we're talking about.
Speaker 1: A PBA card.
Speaker 2: If you know someone that's a cop or is connected to a cop, you get one of these cards. And then the idea is if you ever get pulled over when they ask for license and registration, you can hand that over, but also hand this card or flash the card and if if a cop is cool with it, he'll be like, all right, it's the same as the stakes, like they you you want.
Speaker 3: This is even the stickers even more subtle. But then you then you have to make sure well you also can't have it on a window that rolls down. If the cops pliny offs. Gotta be some world yeah blast, they know where to look. Put it on the windshield. But he's coming from the side. All right, let's let's focus up. I was gonna mention we mentioned the Texans. I know, Greg, you've been following this. You are connected to Mother Japan in always uh.
Speaker 1: C J.
Speaker 2: Stroud and MICHAEH. Parsons doing their world tour and uh. The new video that's out there now is Micah Parsons sumo wrestling.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And the first round the sumo wrestler, do you guys see this? Yeah, sumer wrestler thrashes him and then does like a rock in the baby thing to Micah. C J.
Speaker 3: Stroud almost like encourages the sumo wrestler to do that too.
Speaker 4: Parsons and then he definitely seemed like frenemies Micah and yeah.
Speaker 2: And then Micah and then Micah you know, hulks up and you know with the sumo wrestler doesn't realize that MIKEA. Parsons is one of the greatest athletes uh known to man, doesn't need direct and then even with no experience, he takes out the sumo wrestler in the second round. I don't know how that how that ended, but I saw I saw Micah get even. All right, let's take a break and we'll close things up. All right, we are back. We are closing up shop. We got one more show coming up on a Thursday, so make sure you tune in for that.
Speaker 1: One more thing I wanted to throw up here. We have our old friend.
Speaker 2: Remember we had a spirited conversation about Bob Kleinman when we were in Austin for the iHeart Awards. Yeah, there were a few drinks that we had that evening. As I recall, and I came out in casual conversation is very pro Dob Kleinman.
Speaker 3: Well, because everyone was everywhere was piling on. So I think you trying to Okay, that's what I want, Shepherd.
Speaker 4: Remember your contrarian spirit which comes out and Dan sometimes.
Speaker 1: Sitting next to you for thirteen years. We'll do that. Let's throw up a tweet from Dob Kleinman. This is great. The Eagles are looking scary emoji of someone putting their hands over their face. Super Bowl incoming, and then it's just a bunch of the Eagles working out in the Yeah, no one has thought to lift weights yet.
Speaker 4: And the funny thing is that these aren't overly advanced workouts.
Speaker 1: They look like what you achieve, you know, young men and women doing in the gym.
Speaker 4: I think the I mean, certainly they're stronger, the different than any other NFL team.
Speaker 1: I think it's done the video evidence.
Speaker 2: I think Bob on some ways his Twitter feed and he Bob was really pumped up about the Tom Brady roast.
Speaker 1: By the way.
Speaker 2: Also, he's all over my fetus him he can chill out like you're spamming me on this. But Dob with this tweet again, I have to give credit to to what the Eagles have been able to pull off. The brainwashing is complete of public It's to the point now where someone could send that tweet out and it's not even thought to be strange that they had maybe the worst collapse.
Speaker 4: Well, he's getting history gotten for this tweet that Like, why are you saying, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's been so forgotten that Bob could send that out without even thinking that something bad happened at the end of the previous season that would maybe cause one to think that they wouldn't be obvious Super Bowl favorites.
Speaker 1: Well in a way, you had to love this. Thank you to literally.
Speaker 2: Everyone who sent that to me, which is everyone on Twitter. I felt like sent me that Dove tweet.
Speaker 3: You have to adore this because it backs up your general offseason theory.
Speaker 1: And it's started that whole operation.
Speaker 2: It's so it's so like the theory has become so hardened now that it's it's bulletproof, like nothing can get through it.
Speaker 4: I did love first of all, the how Hee comments that look when they signed Saquon Barkley, we were zigging when the rest of the zagging.
Speaker 1: I like that, But I'm.
Speaker 2: Giving a thirty year old running back with no I need twenty five million guaranteed.
Speaker 1: What is zig First of all, brilliant?
Speaker 4: First of all, saquad Barkley is twenty seven years old. Let's not let's not get crazy. There is a running back tax plus three video put together that's part of the Eagles kind of like behind the scenes draft room of like it's almost like Howie porn essentially, and which.
Speaker 2: Is seriously the last porn one would ever want to watch.
Speaker 4: I would agree, And it's behind the scenes and people just were loving it. And our friend Evan Silva quote retweet it. You could check it out on his Twitter. Watch how he cook few smartest gm in the NFL. And it's just it's just even got that behind the scenes and am looking Cooper Dizine.
Speaker 1: They even got Evan Silva. Silva, that's where talked him up a number.
Speaker 3: But this is not the first year that he's been fascinated with the Eagle.
Speaker 2: The only thing, the only thing I need now is for Joel EMBII to guarantee the Eagles go to the Super Bowl and that it is complete, the circle has been completed.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't have to worry about you are flushed with personal vendettas. You got it you had. I've been sitting next to you for thirteen years. I just see how I think, we see how you how you operate, you do Yeah, and you love it me for it. I almost wondered.
Speaker 3: They've they've asked if Shakespeare was quietly like twelve incredible authors, not one.
Speaker 1: I don't buy into that at all. I think that's nonsense.
Speaker 3: But like maybe dove climbing is like sort of a a group of people.
Speaker 1: Because there's the tweeting is happening in twenty four to seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's a shadowy figure I think based in Israel.
Speaker 1: We've been talking right across the sea. All right, let's book him on the show immediately. Eric, let's get to work on that. We can. All right, why are you uncomfortable with Dob talk?
Speaker 4: You know, if you if you followed, if you're if you haven't mwed or blocked him, that's on you.
Speaker 1: You can't, I mean, you enjoy him.
Speaker 2: Dob's out there, you know, he's out there doing the Lord's work, aggregating away. Yep, you came from Pro Football Talk, Greg, that's an aggregator yourself.
Speaker 4: I came from Rohta World, the original, the originators of aggregation. All right, that's it, let's wrap it up. We had a code, final thought for you, Greg, We had a code.
Speaker 1: We had a code. That's it.
Speaker 2: Important, man has a code. It's important. Insiders have a coat. Pie it all together.
Speaker 1: I have no regrets. All right till Thursday. See the call