Speaker 1: Questlove Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora.
Speaker 2: What's Up, Everybody, It's Sugar Steve from Team Supreme. June marks Black Music Month. We often speak about it on Questlove Supreme and we've had some of the legends responsible for the recognition on the show. Every day this June, we are running a different episode from the QLs archives to honor the tradition and intent of Black Music Month. This week we are focusing on some of the great hip hop conversations that ULS catalog. Our leader Questlove has a new book out called hip Hop Is History. Check it out at questlove dot com. This is a conversation with the late Bizmarquis that first aired in the summer of twenty seventeen. The Biz may he rest in peace or bring a brand of authentic but funny hip hop to so many audiences?
Speaker 3: Supreme Supremo role called Suprema sun So Supreme role called Supreme Supreme role called Supreme Supreme Roll.
Speaker 4: So Bob Jeames Bellis, Marty gri Biz claims the song yeah Survey sas.
Speaker 5: Yeah Sure, Supreme role called Supreme.
Speaker 4: So Supreme role, Call my name is Fante.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I like to bawl, Yeah, because my house is the average square.
Speaker 5: Mall Supreme Supreme role called Suprema So Supreme role called.
Speaker 7: My name is Sugar with bizmar Key. Yeah, and this is roll call. Yeah, nobody beats me.
Speaker 5: Supreme Upprema, roll called Suprema Son Son Supremo.
Speaker 8: Roll called Bill.
Speaker 9: Yeah, rahaps to do yea shout out to bismarcky. Yeah, men in black two roll call Suprema.
Speaker 5: Son Supremo, roll call Suprema Son Supremo roll loost Bill.
Speaker 10: I am yeah, not a Republican. I just wanted to say, yeah, fuck GILBERTL.
Speaker 6: Sullivan Supreme roll call, Suprema So Supreme roll call.
Speaker 11: It's slight.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah about this paper. Yeah, y'all better watch out. Yeah, y'all get them.
Speaker 8: Supreme landing on time, So Supreme. There was turbulus in the middle.
Speaker 4: Vers Son Supremo roll called.
Speaker 8: I am the Amazon. Yeah, I'm with the Sugars. Yeah. And what I do, Yeah, I'm picking good.
Speaker 5: Supremo roll Supremo, Supreme Suprema Supremo, roll call, Suprema Supremo roll call.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to another edition of Quest Love Supreme only on Pandora. I am Quest Love with me Team Supreme. We got a fun tig alow in the place. Uh, tik tig. I gotta go old school with the names. What with the double names? Oh yeah, Ti, Yeah, take Ti.
Speaker 8: And then that's really cool cool. We gotta unpaid Bill.
Speaker 4: How you doing, man, I'm great, You're great, fucking excited, you're fucking excited. Markey is here, of course, of course he is, Sugar Steve. You're doing better.
Speaker 8: I'm great, man, I'm great. How great are you? Average?
Speaker 7: Grade medium?
Speaker 8: Medium, extra medium?
Speaker 4: And we got Boss Bill in the place to be How you doing? And uh liyah ak Margaret and our guest today, ladies and gentlemen, is probably probably next to ll cool J, one of the timeless figures in hip hop culture that has transcended decades.
Speaker 8: Uh. It's never going.
Speaker 4: Stale always uh, you know, around doing stuff and it's I mean, you can call him a pioneer, you can call him an innovator, you can call him a pop culture collector, historian. Uh, you could call him everything. But most importantly, you got a bollicle the diabolical. Welcome to Chluss loves abree Yeah.
Speaker 8: Crash, what's up? What's up with you? Know?
Speaker 12: Glad, I'm glad I'm here with you.
Speaker 4: So Biz, I don't ever recall you doing an in depth interview ever. Like it's like we all know you, You're ubiquitous, You're everywhere, but I don't know if we really know your story. I'm into the to the level that we should know it. But I do know that everyone that speaks of you that I work with, and I've worked with, everyone has the highest level of respect for your you know, your your contribution and and and all your knowledge of hip hop. So thank you for for doing the show with us today.
Speaker 8: Oh come on, you know I couldn't let it turn it down? All right?
Speaker 4: So before we start your story, we we got to get to the elephant in the room. Just admitted business. There is no bellis mind there?
Speaker 8: Wait?
Speaker 12: Business?
Speaker 8: Can I explain?
Speaker 4: Wait before we like, do you know?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 4: See I always have to ask like you first and then I know the public now, but wait, let me explain, Let me explain the premise of it. This has inadvertently created uh pop culture collectors in all of us. I'll say that the very first person that I've ever heard of buying out factories, uh, buying additional houses for their collections of be it toys, dolls, board games, uh, clothes, old videotapes, old movies, records, forty fives old machine like the basically what my house is now, like about the black version of the forty year old version, all your crap, yes, for yes, all the stuff that we've had, the rummings through business, business.
Speaker 7: To the reason that you're the reason he has eighteen storage units right now pretty much.
Speaker 4: But I mean there's a bunch of us.
Speaker 8: But the thing is is that it.
Speaker 4: Starts with it starts with Biz claiming that there's a record out there that we all turned the earth over for it and never seem to find, and only Bizz quote has it.
Speaker 8: So yes, now, everyone, you record, you're recorder. You recorded records, right of course, Now when you went to master it. Have you ever had a record that was mastered that you didn't want because it was it was the wrong sound or something wasn't right.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I've you know what, Yes, Okay, there's an original version of Michael Jackson's Off the Wall that does not have the handclaps and rock with you that I later found out that.
Speaker 8: Was now they got to make the music the same way. Okay, where it's no it's no bells, it's just the drums.
Speaker 4: With the shakers. Okay, we scrapped that.
Speaker 8: There was only there was only thirty five. There was only thirty five to fifty put out of make the music. It was EP. Okay, some people got it. But the thing is, I'm trying to tell you the original EP, the original EP with the black and white Coca Cola. But there's two different ones. Okay, there's one with the with the Isaac Hay's and there's one that's don't got the Isaac case and I got Isaac Hays in the middle with with the with the hook, the version that's on the record now with the Madi Grad. I don't know where I got it from. I'm not a snitch.
Speaker 4: It's thirty years later.
Speaker 8: You know you're not no no, no, no no on your record dealer is listen to me? Listen what was saying? Yes?
Speaker 12: So the MAIGHTI Grad? Since everybody know Madi.
Speaker 8: Grad a live record, it is, yes, Maighty Guard is a live record. You can hear the people talk play on Mighty gra mad Gud you can hear the people talking in the background.
Speaker 4: Well that I assume asking Bob James that was the sound effects of a bunch of animals.
Speaker 8: And back in the day, Bob James and all of them, I was. It was finally when I place. Wait, a lot of musicians back then, don't remember. You're gonna tell me you get right, you get splotched right now. He couldnt sing Family of Fair the way he's singing you right, I don't know.
Speaker 12: Listen to me. I don't know how many of them out.
Speaker 8: Listen to me. I don't know how many of them are out. But when I got it, I had it since the nineties. It's like an acetate, okay, okay, So when I got it and I battled this dude name top Speed in Indianapolis. No top Speed, you know, Okay, when I put it on, then everybody started talking about it.
Speaker 4: So you're saying, all right, just to let just let.
Speaker 8: Mark mark redon marg.
Speaker 4: I feel like I had twelve rounds, I know.
Speaker 8: And there's twelve Like a lot of people don't think there's twelve inches of Mardi Gras one sided. They do, got Mardi Gras twelve inches real on ct I one sided. My man Supreme the Rock from Seattle got him. I got him, A couple of us got him. I'm just letting you know, all right.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna play you. You would know it as the Peter Piper bells, one of the things you do so basically. Now Biz claims he has a version of Marti Grau without the bells and it just the drums, thus sending us into a fineinancial tail spin. I put off Brodick. No, it's for real, like I joke about it. But you know, it's when when you get in this industry, football players, sports people, the first the first person besides yourself that you treat for is your mama. In my never ending bid to find this record and acquiring all the other records, well I can't find well I'll take these.
Speaker 8: I'll take these. I'll take these. I'll take one record.
Speaker 4: I know I put off by my mama's house, but to search.
Speaker 8: It's one record. I'm a person that has one of the most extensive record collections that you ever will see. I know how many records you got that you never seen people with?
Speaker 4: Probably got fourteen.
Speaker 12: No, you got no, no, no.
Speaker 8: I've talked about how many records that you bought that you never seen nobody else with.
Speaker 4: I know for a fact that I have fourteen one of ones, like something that no one else will have but me.
Speaker 8: I got like at least I know you got a I got like at least two three thousand. I never seen nobody. I never see nobody puss. Right, that's like when people when I came out at the park with my SL seven hundred.
Speaker 4: Yes I'm from I got you. Look.
Speaker 12: Look as soon as.
Speaker 8: I've been you've been saying, father, I'm sighting with them. These are old man I'm fighting with Do you want me to do? I can't make them do something.
Speaker 7: It sounds like he has he said as it sounds like it's a test pressing.
Speaker 8: What happened is it's a mistake. You know how if you listening something and something you don't hear, and then you go back and do it over. Come on, you know, come on, I have no I have no reason to lie about one record.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, well, since we're talking about it, we might as well do a special dish and not business. Yes, the one time only a busy guess. So since you the record master, we do this thing where we have producers on the show identify songs now, normally with Tip and Primo and I've done Snares or just but with you, I'm we're doing the doctorate degree course on this. I'm gonna give you not even half a second, Biz, not even not even half a second. Looks it's like this is easy, and I'm doing stabs. I'm not even doing Snares kicks or high hats. I'm doing stabs.
Speaker 8: Biz.
Speaker 4: What is the song?
Speaker 8: Oh that's that's some engine number nine.
Speaker 4: I'll play it again. Nope, yes, yeah, uh.
Speaker 8: I hear that the the the bongos. I can't I know the record? I just.
Speaker 4: All right, oh outside even count.
Speaker 8: First of all, all the DJs used to play play south Side Movement on forty five.
Speaker 4: Okay, we'll get it plus record and plus give me give me a story about the recordse I know you have some weird story about well.
Speaker 8: First of all, back in eighty one or eighty, they used to have a record store called Downstairs Records. Yes, I've heard it on forty second Street and eighth downstairs sn Roy l Roy used to be. It used to be like a thing. It used to be thing right here, He used to stand on aside the records on the wall. That album went for like ten dollars just.
Speaker 4: The single loan or know the hour the album that it came from, and it said moving on it. Okay, I mean, I know, Wait what do you mean still there Steve record in the subway?
Speaker 8: Right? Yeah, that's not it's not it's a different one. Oh okay, okay, that was after a while, it moved up it moved upstairs, then it moved to forty third Street.
Speaker 4: All right, here's your second one. Biz mm hmmm, whoa mm hmmm.
Speaker 8: I can't do it. That's too short. M hm. So when it's all done, all right, come on, man, come on, let's breakthrough truck Turner and any breakthrough stories breakthrough. First time I heard breakthrough was Vambada and Jazzie Jay was cutting it in the park where Uh Bronx Bronx River Bronx River a Zoo Nation Anniversary.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is your third record.
Speaker 8: Oh I know what that is.
Speaker 4: I know what it is.
Speaker 8: I know the record. I can't think of it right now, I know the record?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 8: Uh bad White, no, no, no, maybe that's how bouncing Bouncy La Stutch yourself off out a details of.
Speaker 12: The first time I got the first first time I got.
Speaker 8: The Bouncy Bouncy Lady albums was from King Carroll, who was a record store because downstairs, I mean, uh Flash was cutting it one time and it sold out a downstairs, so I had to go down the street to King Carroll on forty third, I mean forty second between seventh and six.
Speaker 4: So I'm assuming that all the records that I initially first acquired on the Ultimate Beats and Breaks compilations you got firsthand because you were first generation witnessing Flashing on. Okay, cool, all right, here's your fourth record, Come.
Speaker 8: On, that's Get Out of My Life woman, Lee Dors.
Speaker 4: Were you the first to use that?
Speaker 8: Day?
Speaker 12: Last Soul used their first, but they used the fast.
Speaker 8: And I know you bad. That's right, that's right, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: Okay, so they used it for the baseball joint on.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but just a freak album.
Speaker 4: That album. All right, here's your last record, buz in Round one.
Speaker 8: Of business.
Speaker 4: You guessed it sounds like a Q tip record. I'll I'll do a little pre roll for you. This is so easy. I'm picking the easiest breaks of all time. Oh wow wow, okay, yeah, Superman Love everybody text.
Speaker 8: But the thing is I never looked at Superman Love as a break really, so it was not. The intro was never rhymed over, and.
Speaker 4: That wasn't a break.
Speaker 8: Really, breaks is like scratching.
Speaker 4: I can't so stuff between one hundred and ten bpms and faster, you.
Speaker 8: Know, I mean, I don't know about the speed. I'm just saying. Records that you know.
Speaker 4: Had naked drums, right, naked drums.
Speaker 8: You had to have like mighty guad nautilists, you know what I mean. Pe Life you got that right, Yeah, of course I have that.
Speaker 4: That was around one of BIZ and we'll come with a part two later. All right, So, Biz, where were you born?
Speaker 8: I was born in Harlem and Colonial Projects.
Speaker 4: You're from Harlem.
Speaker 8: Then I moved away when I was ten to Long Island and I grew up in Long Island, I was, I mean, I lived in patriog You know, so you because I've heard Jersey and her Brooklyn, Jersey, I feel.
Speaker 4: Like you lived everywhere.
Speaker 8: No, I moved to Jersey after records. I stayed with my sister a little in Brooklyn in like eighty three, and then eighty four is when I met Marley and them. Okay, and then.
Speaker 4: So what I mean, did you aspire to be a DJ at first?
Speaker 8: Or like?
Speaker 4: What was I told I had to make records? I got bored with rap to why records? Like you had a father that was a collector?
Speaker 8: Or?
Speaker 4: You like, how did you use to.
Speaker 8: Play with Cold Traine? And then back in the day, Wow, you're a jazz kid. Life used to play. My pops used to play with you know, back in the back in the sixties and fifties. So but I know, I'm just a I was just a collector. I started collecting. My first forty five was Ben Okay. So then when when hip hop came out? Like my man when I was in Long Island in seventy eight, my man bought an El Brother's tape out, you know, grant with a theater. So I got bit by the bug after that. What's your dad's name? So Royal Hall. Yeah, he played saxophone.
Speaker 4: Steve's resident jazz Fetish.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna tell you another person father that used to play in the clubs jazz and stuff, Martin Sheen.
Speaker 4: V Martin she President, Martin she.
Speaker 8: Wow. Back in the day, I mean, that's my postuma, because back then you could go to them things in Manhattan little clubs and playing uh you know what I mean, his father or him him? Oh wow, oh wow, that's about here, about in his early thousands right now.
Speaker 4: No, but wow, I never knew what did he play?
Speaker 8: He said. No, I'm just telling you.
Speaker 4: He told me. Oh, you don't know what instrument he played, piano.
Speaker 8: I just know he played or he was dead anyway from my mom. Don't lie about that. I'm gonna bring his name up.
Speaker 4: You know, it's it's it's it's rather random to bring it up. So it look everything you tell me, I'm taking for your word. Biz, I'm just saying I just never found the money record. But I digress anyway.
Speaker 8: So I never found turntables either.
Speaker 10: We've seen the evidence of the turntables. It could be photoshop though true the turn.
Speaker 4: Oh so Biz has a pair of techniques that only play forty fives? Oh wow, yeah, I mean ill, but no one else can get them. But Biz, why they wait? Why is that I'm skipping all over your timeline? Why do you have these? First of all, what happened when the techniques make these?
Speaker 8: Yeah, technique, what happened was back in the day before, like eighty eight.
Speaker 4: You've had these since?
Speaker 8: Oh no, I'm telling your story. Back in the day before. They were going to put them out like in the eighties, but then the CD boom came and everything, so they scrapped them.
Speaker 4: And what these are just in the factory.
Speaker 8: Like So when I went out to Japan to do Yo Gabba Gabba, damn, I started having you got somebody great grandson and then your gaba gap is the kids. I'm hanging with them. So hey, they brought me to the factory and I saw so many turntables that was incredible. Wow. So I saw them and they was in the corner. So I made a lot of trades for that.
Speaker 4: All right, Before I go back to your timeline, I might as well go there, biz. Okay, your house of records are on fire.
Speaker 8: Knock on the wood your.
Speaker 4: House of okay, well, knock on wood whatever. Your house of records are on fire. Okay, what five records are you going to save?
Speaker 8: I mean one of them is bartigraphs.
Speaker 4: Which five records from your burning house on fire? Are you going to save?
Speaker 8: My devotion live forty five to who? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Wait, there's a forty five of devotion on from Gratitude live, Yeah, from Gratitude.
Speaker 12: Tap your hands.
Speaker 4: That's on forty five. Yeah, Jesus Christ. Okay, your house is burning. By the way, this is sounds cent of fire, burning house on fire.
Speaker 12: My team plays are cool on forty five.
Speaker 4: There's a tea plays cool forty five.
Speaker 8: Are these promo cops? Like? Are they promo copies? Google it? You got it right there? Team plays cool.
Speaker 4: I'm looking I'm looking them up.
Speaker 8: I'm looking them up.
Speaker 7: Are these like white label promo promo copies or regular?
Speaker 8: I got one? That is is an EP? It's on Tape Car Records.
Speaker 4: Tape Car Records, look it up EP. I gonna be lit this episode.
Speaker 12: About when when?
Speaker 8: When he pull it up, I want I want to apology ahead, dude, go ahead, buzz I'm believing that.
Speaker 10: Wait wait wait wait, here's he plays a cool forty five from the UK. Oh no, from Turkey.
Speaker 9: Excuse me, I tell you your Turkey there too, so go ahead.
Speaker 4: Oh I gotta find that's your fire.
Speaker 8: That's my fire?
Speaker 12: Well all right, the rest gonna burn.
Speaker 4: Business as many records you've got.
Speaker 8: Like, I can't it's too plays Muhammad. I leave forty five.
Speaker 4: Okay, I've seen, Yes, I've seen that one. Yes, I've seen that.
Speaker 12: Because it's signed.
Speaker 8: Uh, I can't think of that now. Damn. There's too many records.
Speaker 7: You're like, you're like forty fives more than more than LPs.
Speaker 8: Your forty fives got the reason I started DJing with forty fivest all these records, milk, they.
Speaker 4: Had its time. What about your other artifacts?
Speaker 12: What you didn't say that, you just said record.
Speaker 4: So now, Biz, your house, your your artifacts house is burning.
Speaker 8: What are you saving? I'm taking my two pair of SL seven hundreds, one with the curve on, one with the straight arm. I'm taking my Flashes beat box that he gave me.
Speaker 4: Oh you own a beat box? Yes, yeah, he gave that to you.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Fuck, he gave me the name I got it.
Speaker 8: Biz, Can you reveal what that drumming scene is? Biz?
Speaker 4: Look, I want you.
Speaker 12: I can't keep from the world.
Speaker 4: I want you and Pete Rock. But Business, what you gotta understand is you've seen and this is the fire still burning.
Speaker 12: But you want to how you want to know?
Speaker 8: How you want to stop me from getting my stuff? As you got the fire burning, I'm setting the fire.
Speaker 4: And to help you save it at the same time.
Speaker 8: Biz.
Speaker 4: But wait, this is what I'm saying now. I can see back in eight boards. I can see back in eighty eighty nine ninety when it was a breathless race to the finish to find some illshit and.
Speaker 8: Then recreate some But this started from eighty one to eighty two. So I'm older than y'all, so I know.
Speaker 4: But listen, here's the point now. But we can agree that you utilized it to its n degree between the late eighties and the mid arts, either by sampling, making records, or playing it for us in concert as a DJ. So what I'm saying is you do acknowledge in twenty seventeen there is a somewhat of a drought going on in hip hop culture as you know it now. I'm not saying that everything should stay the same, nothing else to change. Yes, I love the the you know, the evolution of musical culture. But I would almost rather someone that's listening to this program search for that flash drum machine so they can.
Speaker 8: Go out and make some.
Speaker 4: Why you and Bete are the most secretive people, But how are we secret?
Speaker 8: Because we got something we want everybody to have. I have a definition of seapop.
Speaker 4: I know what makes you, we know what makes you unique. But when you want after, okay.
Speaker 8: We don't tell everybody everything you got, I do. No, I don't share.
Speaker 12: I know you.
Speaker 8: I'm not talking about share an m P three F take people, I'm not talking about m P three five.
Speaker 4: Look mic f come on, I'm saying, my son, I'm staying this record though, I'm staying this.
Speaker 8: For the record.
Speaker 4: I understand that I've taken about I've taken about maybe two hundred people in my lifetime, record shopping being shopping, Like, why keep it alltimate?
Speaker 8: No? I just took like two thousand, three thousand, all right? Just saw, Hey you got.
Speaker 12: A Jogi, Jeff, you gass cash?
Speaker 8: Money?
Speaker 4: Can I ask on flash gags?
Speaker 8: Vaughn? You got your boy?
Speaker 4: Why shot?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: We can't reach it. We can't reach Primo wanted me to call him on the show. My man, I know what, son, He told me all the questions to ask you.
Speaker 8: But I'm just saying.
Speaker 11: That he just share it with you and then it'll be cool for me.
Speaker 8: But I can't tell you. I can't let the world some secret.
Speaker 4: You can't just.
Speaker 8: Is it more important? Is it more.
Speaker 4: Important for you to make your unique mark on the world, or is it more important that on your dying day, your deathbed, that you know that there's ten biz marquis like disciples that are.
Speaker 8: Going to die.
Speaker 12: I'm kidding, You're gonna be yours? Could you put it?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 12: Just go back to Harlem's.
Speaker 10: His house burning down, You got him dying, He's still not giving it up?
Speaker 8: What alright? Being flashy like Oh, I thought you was gonna tell nobody. God, it'd be like that Twilight Zone when that lady said I want that dude said to the lady, don't never tell nobody or the Devil's gonna coming.
Speaker 13: Maybe did not tell you? Alright, alright, alright? So in Harlem, when.
Speaker 4: Did you first started collect You got your first record when you was what the forty five?
Speaker 8: It wasn't it wasn't hip hop. I just got yeah, Ben.
Speaker 4: You gotta start somewhere. So when did the bug hit you that yo? I was it DJing first or was it mc and or box? All right, now I know you. I want you to set the record straight on the who was the first cat that you heard? Or are you that first cat? Who's the first cat to go on record to say, this is the beat box.
Speaker 8: The first, the first one I heard besides me, Yes, with Dougie. So doug is the original human beat box. Yeah, that's the first one I ever.
Speaker 4: So where does Buffy fall in line of Buffy? He was just the first to.
Speaker 8: Get to everybody's from different places.
Speaker 12: Buffy was from Brooklyn.
Speaker 8: That's why me and a Dougie and Buffy never sound the same. Is from different places, so you would never know I'm fromand I'm from Patrick, I'm from like you from Philly, I'm from like country Hockens. You don't even you don't even count that in Philly's son. I'm like from Hershey, Pennsylvania. I don't even count. Keep it real, all.
Speaker 4: Right, but I'm just saying that, you're so. At what point did New York start to do this cross cultural colonization where a queen's cap We'll go to Brooklyn with no beef, and Brooklyn would come to Long Island and well the way outside the parents moving.
Speaker 8: Okay, the way I started, uh back in eighty two, I was handing out fliers for Mike and Dave, you know, Mike and Davis. No, Mike and Dave had they had a label, but they had cruise like the Crash Crew. Okay, Master Dawn, Boogie Boys, Dougie, Rob Bass, all of us started Fat Man's School. All of us started from under them. They used to hand We used to you know, you want to be on they be an artist? Yeah, they do all. They was like one of the big promoters. So we had a I used to hand our fliers for them, and then I just watched and learned and learned and learned.
Speaker 4: So is this where the basis of vapors verse came in?
Speaker 8: To play with the basis of the vapors verse came in? Is I was on my block and the kids down the block had a crew. I wanted to be in the crew, but I always had to be and my parents were strict, so I had to be in when the light was out. So I always asked cand I be down. And since I wasn't the cool cat and I wasn't smoking and I wasn't drinking, no, you.
Speaker 4: Can't be down.
Speaker 8: So I went back into the lab and try to get his best at best I can, and doing that, my time came vapors.
Speaker 4: He made the vapor effects ladies in Jon't so I'm noticing the pattern that all musical savants and and and icons are either legacy kids of parents that were musicians or people that had to follow Richard pryor heavy ass home.
Speaker 8: Parents in the street lights.
Speaker 4: Come on street light, Yeah no, no, no messing around. So under under that crew, were you d j M first or or you said you were be boxing first?
Speaker 8: Be boxing and rapper like I used to snap on people. I was always a funny guy, like shitty Shannati. Your nose is snotty. Every time I see you, you're begging somebody. But if you're egging, you're begging, and your humming, you're bumming. Good God, oldmighty. I hate to see you coming my drop moment, Biz, markeyla and gentlemen.
Speaker 4: Actually, Premiere just hit me, he said, ask Biz, between you and Big Sugar from Gangstar, who would win the snapping contest?
Speaker 8: Come on?
Speaker 14: He saw what I did to him, and then Prima also followed up that if this says now, you know how I do tell Biz he's lying, He asked prem.
Speaker 8: I said, uh, I said something something something something something, and then I told him I told uh Big Sugar he had a hip hop starter kid.
Speaker 4: On them with being n XL.
Speaker 8: He said that, yeah, any and I was on tour with Gangstar Rest in Peace, you know. Yeah, we was on tour in Japan and.
Speaker 4: He told he told me that, and then you proceeded to stay. He said that the most amazing thing of that Japan tour was the fact that you were the first cat that he saw ben shopping and then you somehow managed to have the promoter paid for all your shipment back to the state, and that the shipment was actually more than the records. Wait talk about the van now, see, and I hate this whole like my generation and when cat's be like, hey, what's up o G because I feel like we're all all the same hip hop generation. But I'm just saying that, it's like for when all right, So for my layer of hip hop, DJ Premier's van was like the be all end all van to test your music. I'm gonna get to you, bus, I'm gonna give you the credit. Biz looking at it. This got his guns out a ray like give me credit.
Speaker 8: I was.
Speaker 12: I can tell you a story about that though.
Speaker 4: But yes, when Premiere told me, yo, dog, this was the first cat I saw.
Speaker 8: MPV, Yes V, Well, can I tell your story. Yes, tell me, well, can I put the fireside chat? We got yes, And now they had some my boys from uptown. And I think y'all saw the movie payd to Full. Yes. Well, I used to hang with a Z. I used to hang out Poe. I used to hang with rich Porter. Rich Porter was one of the flyest dudes known to man to this date. Okay, right, So he had an MPV first, right, I said, Yo, man, what is that? Blah blah blah. So I sat in there with him. We talked for about an hour half an hour. The next day I went to got two of them. I got I got a expensive I had money had you? Okay? Right?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 7: So I'm sorry, what'ts an MPV? Oh it's a.
Speaker 8: Multi purpose family? So what I did?
Speaker 4: I'm glad you asked that because if I already asked that business bill would have been like google it.
Speaker 8: Right. So so I got B one and I got cool V a blue one. So but with minds, I put like twelve thousand of system in there. You got thinking eighty nine. That's a lot out of money.
Speaker 4: Why didn't get a jeep like everyone else?
Speaker 8: I want to get it to be different.
Speaker 4: Okay, so it's it's like a cool ass Socca pop then.
Speaker 11: But I had everything in it, but it had an error when like cool dudes used to drive.
Speaker 12: I had that casette, everything in it.
Speaker 8: I never heard of a player in a car.
Speaker 4: Google that only because Primo had one that I believe this story because yeah.
Speaker 8: So at the time, I mean I used to see Primo blah blah blah blah, and he saw my joint. He got one, but then he got one with deep dish rims. And I say, yore because I had black, I had black and chrome BBS's and he had the deep dish joints.
Speaker 4: I said, yo. All right. So from be boxing and I'm always gonna go back in time, So from be boxing too to DJ SO rap next.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because I had to make records.
Speaker 4: But when I first heard of you was Deth fresh school with Roxanne be boxing.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So how did the whole Philly connection with Pop Art Records and Lawrence Goodman and all that happened?
Speaker 8: What happened was Shante made Roxannes revenge. Okay, so Tyrone Williams and Marley and them hooked up with Lawrence Goodman in them.
Speaker 4: Okay, Lawrence Goodman the maybe yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, he was a tough dude. He was tough to him and his brother.
Speaker 4: So was there ever a nice guy in the music industry like all the black guys if we put Lawrence Goodman should knight, Uh, all of them.
Speaker 8: Was cool with me. But I'm just saying. And then at the time, I wanted to make a record bad, so I got on with Chante and my thing, my fame, my claim to fame was the tape from be from Roseland with Chin That's yes, it's it's then I got Then I made the record with Chante, and then I was begging Lawrence Goodman, Yo, I want to make a record. Blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: What was the de Chante record? What year was that?
Speaker 8: Eighty five? Yeah?
Speaker 4: So wait they used to play that Roseland tape on radio up here or.
Speaker 8: Yeah what mister Magic World World Permit Permire All right?
Speaker 4: Who who is that? A World premire permit? That's him, right, that's him? Yeah, Okay, do you have an original copy of that world I actually doz Yes, I would love to get sharing his Karen, I would.
Speaker 8: Share that with you, but I'm not telling you the name of the what I'm finding that drum to see one way or another? All right, this way, I'll bring it out. I'll let you see it you now, if you get the name of it, i'll show you brand. I show you it, but I can't tell you in your faith and on the air.
Speaker 4: Okay, I get it, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 8: I get it anyway.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so based on that, actually, wait, can I play that for a second, the Live routine with Biz You got it? This is yes, this is Live Routine with Bizmarky by mc shann.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, okay, we're ready to rout you ready shan started off and tell them who we are. I want to, I want to, I want to. I want to.
Speaker 15: I like to introduce myself, my namic, bizmar keep you and that's MC champion and Molly mob and missing a medic can't pick spot top and my mac Flordia.
Speaker 8: And my seat am I mac Harmony.
Speaker 4: And Sun Bram. So we're gonna do.
Speaker 8: A litt I like.
Speaker 4: Simple Okay, I have a question, Bis, and you're b boxing technique because you're definitely. While while it is most b boxes, their kick and their snare both had the same range you're like in your mind, are you playing a rim shot? Like what like I know for like for you going to be.
Speaker 8: Or shot and my bass is different my bas is Like so you were hum with the B box huh?
Speaker 4: You you were hum with your your your kick jump to give it extra.
Speaker 8: You know how you want to give it that extra sound like right, So I was looking at it. I was looking at it as an eight a weight, so you know how the eight awight got.
Speaker 4: But what I'm saying is at least with with with the human bet Box from the Fat Boys. I always heard him and Ducky for that part emulating and Piece the President. So when b boxes do they're doing, what is the beat? What is the break in your head that you're emulating when you're.
Speaker 8: I'm trying to get as close to the record as possible.
Speaker 4: Which record though, what's the record in your head that you're emulating?
Speaker 8: Which record? Because you don't do.
Speaker 4: In Piece of President like breaks you do like.
Speaker 8: No, I go, I W.
Speaker 4: I rarely hear you do that break. So I'm saying, and plus you're the first bat boxer I know that rhymed and be boxed at the same time.
Speaker 12: That was I wanted to be different, So.
Speaker 4: You are different, let me know. So okay, So when deaf Resh Crew came out, and this this was an era where hip hop was still quasi regional, that in school you could bite some ship and claim credit for it and live with it. Now, I think I got away with that meow mix, so all the white kids in school thought I was the ship. Like me, I'm mixed like that was always the thing, like And then like maybe seven weeks later, then I got busted and was like, all right, you know this, it's my key, But like, how how you know?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 4: At what point do you do? You transfer to rapping and getting with Marley, And.
Speaker 8: At that time I was with them, so I was keeping quiet as a rapper. I'm just happy to be down. So once they gave me my chance to make a record, already already had records written.
Speaker 4: And why does everyone start off as a DJ in this crew? Like even Cain started out as a DJ.
Speaker 8: Well, Caine started out as as my partner rhyming because I had to show him. I had to show him stage presence. I showed him different styles, I showed him how to be on stage. You know, if there's something wrong, you know, to go to the next rhyme. It's like you drumming, right, if you break a stick, you know to go to you know, to go to the next you know, to go to the next stick? Yeah, how to keep it moving?
Speaker 4: So where do you where do you get your experience from? Because you know, you grew up in the era where I mean now it's even harder because it's like, unless your YouTube song has ten million views, it's really hard to capture people's attentions us. Your songs just larger than life, Whereas back then you had to have actual, genuine talent and.
Speaker 8: You had to be witty.
Speaker 4: Right, So what what was it like going on in these states? Like what if you were whack? What would happen?
Speaker 12: No, Hamburger is everything at you?
Speaker 4: I seen why Hamburgers.
Speaker 8: Everything. I'm gonna tell you. It was the time we was on tour. I was on tour with Salt Pepper, Fat Fat boys. Everybody. They had this lady trying to be do another rendition of I Ney Love. Oh no, where what territory? We was in North Carolina? Greensboro.
Speaker 4: Wow, they hit away all down?
Speaker 8: Everything changed? Yes and stand up?
Speaker 4: Are you proud of this?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That's by all the times where I grew up.
Speaker 8: I grew up greens Boro.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know that, but you're.
Speaker 8: Proud of Did you ever throw a hammerger an.
Speaker 4: Them?
Speaker 8: Absolutely? Yep, I'm proud. Wait Queensborough, that's where my family. Are you serious, dude?
Speaker 4: Like grandparents have like nineteen brothers and sisters?
Speaker 8: Yes? Oh god? What's your family last?
Speaker 9: Please tell investigate ancestry dot com. Let's get on it.
Speaker 8: Wait.
Speaker 4: Speaking of North Carolina. Uh, In the fifth anniversary of the Source magazine, there's a story they're kind of doing, like an oral history of like just hip hop tales, and I forget who it was, but there was an incident in North Carolina where your record collection save somebody from y'all getting shot up or something.
Speaker 12: Yeah, not me.
Speaker 4: I was in the room.
Speaker 12: But check this out.
Speaker 4: My man gave my fireside check. Hit the introduction, now you ready, yes, hit it?
Speaker 8: Okay? Now, my man Jeff and them there was in the car. What happened was hot Dog that used to be down with Chuck Rock.
Speaker 4: I'm rocking the round.
Speaker 8: Yes, well, they were trying to talk to these girls. They were trying to talk to these girls, and right something happened cop blocking I mean something happened. I think once one of the dancers hit a girl. The girl, the girl's boyfriends came up or something. It was my man Jeff right here, Shante. All of them was in the car.
Speaker 4: But you know, I mean you.
Speaker 8: DJ so you know when you pack your pack, Yes.
Speaker 12: You know that long case.
Speaker 8: Yes, I had a long case of twelve inches, but I packed it them packed in them packed it well, you almost can't even take it. Record the luggage.
Speaker 4: If y'all in North Carolina, where's the luggage?
Speaker 8: If all, it's on the bus. We're coming from the show.
Speaker 4: So you have a bus. There's a bus and a car.
Speaker 8: To know, the car is the runner that brings you back to the hotel. I see, I see, Okay, So they running and they to all these these country dudes came out and my records was behind them and it was like a station wagon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it just didn't go through and all the bullets bullets, the record got damaged.
Speaker 8: Something in the way you make me feel with the acapella feeling.
Speaker 12: All right, gap band, we yeah trouble.
Speaker 4: Did you just did you just ask me where the records are?
Speaker 8: Right? You got exactly you got twelve inches right, No, come on, viz. No, they got them with the Chinese chicken on the other side.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, I've seen those, but those are like reprints.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, there they were reprints, but these was the ones that was hard to find. These only downstairs had them at the time. Okay, from back in the day. They wasn't selling them no more.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, that was a fireside chat.
Speaker 8: There wasn't.
Speaker 12: There wasn't breaks and beat joints.
Speaker 16: Okay, all right, the ones on Tough City right, No, this is before Tough Sitting.
Speaker 8: Okay. This is when they had They had the big beat with the coolest back on the other side, the green ones. Then they had the.
Speaker 4: The Bozomigo ones.
Speaker 8: They had the Bozogo records. No, I know they reprints, but they ain't the Tough City joints from now, okay, these are the ones from eighty one.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, I've had a few of those. Okay, I get it. Yes, I didn't get it in Pizza President though, but I have a few from those labels. So as far as your album is concerned, like, how do you what's what's the deal with the production? Was it just strictly were you handing Marley these records? Did you not an operated drum machine?
Speaker 8: Did you? Okay, let me say, in the beginning days like to make the music and stuff, Marley was master the way he did. Uh Eric Beef president and all that. He's by far the best now as I'm learning from him. I got a twelve hundred. I think I was like one of the first with a twelve hundred. Twelve hundred or twelve twelve hundred. He had a twelve damn okay, I got a twelve hundred from the dude from it or akai one of right, So he first gave it to me. So I came over with Marley ouse and Marlly said, well what is that? That's what all sudden Marley hold my doing for two weeks. He didn't want to give it back, so we did. You know, I usually I always look look for the crew records. So I looked for kine, I looked for breaks. So what I did was I hand Marley the records. He hooked it up. I told him I want this, this, that. Then after a while I started doing production myself. So that's why I on the second album, I just did everything.
Speaker 4: And so how did you separate from Marlee, Like, how did you feel about the situation with Marley's stepping the way and going to Uptown?
Speaker 8: And no, Uptown was before Uptown was before us. But I thought in eighty nine, male Marley just did one record on that It wasn't there wasn't a separation.
Speaker 4: Which record did he do?
Speaker 8: The uptowns kicking it and stuff? He always did? He always did. He did heavy d he did yeah, but he always did random stuff to get you know, extra.
Speaker 4: You know, Marley was Marley, so you know he didn't he work on the Diabolical album, the second album.
Speaker 8: I wanted to do my own album? Did he?
Speaker 4: So he did nothing on that record?
Speaker 8: Or I wanted to do my own album? He I mean, he flew, he flew. Uh, you got what I did vocal to the second thing. But I did everything myself.
Speaker 4: So how did you?
Speaker 8: A COOLVI did too? Okay, So how did you fall into.
Speaker 4: That song? I mean, that song is probably the most timeless song. That song will never die probably, you know, when all said and done, and you know they're going to do the Library of Congress, like five most important hip hop songs. I'm certain that just a Friend will be at least considered in the top ten, like whatever, like the What.
Speaker 8: Happened with that record was I was at a house party in eighty two, right, so I'm hearing this dude what I'm thinking, it's going, we don't name. So I'm here to dude. I blew out that record, I said, so I couldn't. The dude left the party and I never found the name of the record. So I'm looking and looking. I never found the record. So I told Coovie and Big Daddy Can. I said, Yo, if I find this record, boom boom, we on name, Yo, I'm going plattinm we on knee along. So I was hanging with Theodore. Theodore door brought me to Danny Dan's house. So Danny, I'm you know, Danny cutting breaks, Danny Danny beat man, he cutting breaks. All of a sudden, he throw that record on boom. I grabbed the phone, yelling me and that man again. Yeah right, So I drove over to his house. Right, I traded him Barbara Streiss saying album.
Speaker 4: Wait wait wait wait wait wait what.
Speaker 8: A birth of all?
Speaker 12: Do you know the album that Barbara Ston got the break?
Speaker 4: I mean, I know she didn't use there's there's no she has a cover used me on seventeen b oh damn. Okay, remember the song we worked side Beyonce wanted to cover this. Yeah, like Beyonce and Barbara streisand we're going to do duet with each other of Queen Bee and I produced it.
Speaker 11: But then Real has a song called Queen Bee.
Speaker 8: Yeah, tell me that be.
Speaker 15: There it is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, she she she did like a few funk joints, like seventy three seventy four.
Speaker 12: That was from the Stars Born movie, right, so this is what this would happen in the movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So I knew that he didn't know that record, right, so I went over there and traded him. So you know, somebody he gave it a forty five. It's a dollar forty five.
Speaker 4: He getting an album?
Speaker 8: Yeah, but stress hand break. You understand hip hop if you don't know something, So it would have been cool just to were you using it for the purpose of sampling it or you just wanted to have that record. I wanted that record. I knew I was gonna make a record off it, right.
Speaker 4: So you couldn't just borrow the record or YO made me get set copy of that record.
Speaker 8: Not in hip hop trade. I did not know that trade. Okay, So here's what happened. So a couple of weeks later, I'm, you know, because we started to be friends. So I'm hanging with him. So he plays Freddy Scott. I said, I like that joint. So he said, yo, man, I don't got no more. So I gave him two hundred dollars for the forty five what but look but.
Speaker 4: He made it back so loved.
Speaker 8: You gotta understand two hundred dollars at that time, I'm making because I just came off tour with vapors and all that. So I traded him two hundred dollars. That's a lot of money. You think you got over right along? So is this Dan Dan? We're talking about Dan.
Speaker 4: So when Dan Dan's watching you on TV raps and watching the Heineken commercial.
Speaker 8: Then to beat Man, yeah, is he like, yo, those are my record?
Speaker 12: Like right?
Speaker 8: So what happened was I went to my mom's house. You know, usually after tour, so you know, you go home see your family. So I'm sitting in my old bed back in the day joint bunk bed joint. Yeah, So I'm sitting in there and I just wrote, I wrote uh, just a front in like fifteen minutes. So when we went to the studio to do it, because we're doing the second album, I tried to match up the Lee Dorsey and just throw the uh Freddy Scott on top. But since the drum your drummer, you know how a drummer plays too fast and to do it and it wouldn't match. So we tried to put it through the pumasan. If anybody remember a pumasan.
Speaker 11: Me huh, first stumped the room.
Speaker 8: Pumasan is something that you put in and you put the records in so it could match, and then.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, I think something.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I didn't know what it was called. Yes, we use it. It wouldn't match. So what I did I had to do named Shane Faber and he helped me play. He played and we I said no. So I sat there for like from twelve to eight until he got the right piano sound. You know how you're on a keyboard and the right and the piano don't sound right.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say, because you don't use that record in the on just a friend, that's the actual piano piano.
Speaker 8: So all of a sudden I'm telling him what to do, but he wanted to be jazzy. Don't do what I'm telling you what to do. Well, do they know it's up? No, son, play it like you hear it? So I'm sitting there, well time out to see you.
Speaker 4: That sound familiar? Uh yeah, OK, so you know it's the roots.
Speaker 8: Good look he's trying to get. I'm like, no. So it's like seven fifty nine in the morning. I feel like Gucci bags on them all saiden he found the right piano bang.
Speaker 11: Bang boo boom, bang bang bang boom.
Speaker 8: So I did it one pass and then we looped it. So I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: So and now the fireside chat, So who are the lyrics about?
Speaker 7: Who's the friend? Is that the guy who sold you the record? Because he had what you need?
Speaker 8: The video?
Speaker 12: I'm not uncle preaches.
Speaker 4: Now Tip says that Q Tip says that there was an original version of Just a Friend Speed.
Speaker 12: There was the q Tip.
Speaker 8: It was q Tip. All of them was doing Buddy, and they were doing Buddy before I came into the studio and he he he was there.
Speaker 12: When I sung it to them, they bugged out, but.
Speaker 4: They said the girl you must be on speed? Yeah, and they were like, yo, like change it and do the original. I did the radio okay, okay, it got a hair weave, and.
Speaker 8: It is just a wait.
Speaker 4: Before I get to your next record, I gotta ask. So your ad libs are probably, I mean, next to Lottie Dotty. I don't think I've ever heard sampled a more sampled ad lib. Like, what are your general feelings when you heard the main ingredient.
Speaker 8: By Pete Rock? But Pete cool anyway, I know?
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, like how do you generally feel? I mean, are you from the school of okay, Well, rappers can't call out or see other rappers for sampling their joints.
Speaker 8: Me and Pete was cool, so I wasn't thinking about that.
Speaker 4: Okay, So now with alone again naturally tell us this story.
Speaker 8: Man, here's what happened with a timeout.
Speaker 9: Bill gives the now Fireside chatting number seventy five with Bismarcky.
Speaker 8: What happened was, I did the record with a loan again. We got a verbal agreement from him, but my record company tyroneing them. They I guess the people call back up and they cursed Gilbo selvnder them out said we're gonna use it anyway. Wait, what why would they do that? I don't know, because here's what I used to do. When it came to samples. I would make, say, say, if the record got thirteen songs, I would make thirty nine tapes of every record that I use and we'll clear them through regions. At the time, it was we got a verbal agreement, but they didn't get up. They didn't get a what you call him agreement, so they put the record out any.
Speaker 4: Suda that's creaty. Wait, you will clear your own set.
Speaker 8: Like I would. I would set it up and then the office clears like I would have to record.
Speaker 4: Remember at the time, it was not CDs, it was cassettes, right, And I mean just in general, like, why do you think they were so resistant to.
Speaker 8: Because tyre on them cursed him out. Man. I mean, I don't want to say what they were doing. But you know what was fly T?
Speaker 4: I like, because that's you know, I mean he was. He was a key figure in the hip hop Patson that you don't pantheon, that you just don't.
Speaker 8: Fly Tie was great in the beginning, okay, great manager, great, but when the money and stuff came along, that's when what was.
Speaker 4: His connection, Like why did y'all choose him? Was he Marley's guy or he was Magic's guy? We all came through magic and that that that just reminds me of something. BDP would routinely shot you, shout you out.
Speaker 8: I was cool with everybody.
Speaker 4: You were like, what's not favorite nations of Switzerland? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, the Pope?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 12: So the pope grew up together?
Speaker 8: So so how would.
Speaker 4: How did your crew feel with you being neutral with both sides and how do they feel when seeing you? And like, yo, we ain't talking about you were just talking about magic.
Speaker 8: They wouldn't they wouldn't talk because what happened with the magic situation? Care wrest of them had a rec called twelve forty one. Success is the word. They came in and tried because if you if you get your record play on Magic, your record means a lot. At the time, he was like the hip hop Frankie Crocker. So they came in the studio and they let Christenham let them hear the demo of twelve forty one, and the record wasn't good, and you know magic in them. You know at that time, if anybody know from the eighties, I was getting high time you in the studio, and you know they laughed them out, so I guess they went. They left with the tail between their legs and then they went and wrote South.
Speaker 4: Bronx and all that. So the record was I thought it was Evans.
Speaker 8: I thought it was success. Success is the word? Can we play?
Speaker 4: Have you guys ever heard? I think we played it on on the mall.
Speaker 8: Ye we did the wrong It was we did advance. Oh we did advance.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, because I'm gonna play like three seconds of successes the word you can hear what got pre pre beady?
Speaker 8: So there's a pink Foy slamp.
Speaker 12: It's bed nice.
Speaker 8: On start.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a great radio movie.
Speaker 11: It's about eighty degrees.
Speaker 4: Outside traffic on the g w B. Wait, Charis Woman's on some jazzy Jeffers. Yeah, that's got to take the way. I love thy pebbles.
Speaker 8: You're going to.
Speaker 4: Wrap my rapt prier put the mare in the train, but my raples. What you want to do?
Speaker 8: Oh my god, Paris too the wow big.
Speaker 4: Now you know more music about the sock mother Soucker.
Speaker 8: Now I'm not felling magic.
Speaker 12: Get them listening to this ski you up and anything.
Speaker 8: I've held all of them there, So listen to that. What would you do quest if you was magic in them right there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they got to go come on, Wow, I feel like Chris O's But yeah, the state some flowers for this of them, because that's what made him. That's crazy. I've had this record for ten years and never heard this first time I'm listening to it.
Speaker 8: There's a reason for that.
Speaker 4: I can't hear what I said.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm on a lot of drug medication right now from but did I hear Gilligan's Island?
Speaker 8: Just checking?
Speaker 4: But at that time, everybody was doing routines like the Fat Boys enforcing these did it to find effect? Do you remember that the Fat Boys meet the Force?
Speaker 8: Someome dan O?
Speaker 4: No, that Shi was a hitting Philly Philly.
Speaker 8: Philly gave me my start. I love Philly Dancing on air. But that record wasn't the yo.
Speaker 4: I gotta say, wait, the siety the Garrett episode. I said that that Facts of Life episode was the first thing I recorded on the VCR Biz Marquee on Dancing on the Air where Roxannehante was the second thing I recorded im doing the bus dance. Yeah, you were you were past going going past your recording career, you've also managed to you know, do crazy collaborations throughout your time.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was going to say that you co signing and sticking with the Beast Boys, especially when most UH people were kind of indifferent to the genius that is Paul's boutique and check your head and all that stuff. Yeah, I was going to say that you co sign from Hart and like that that made a difference to them, and they always always always spoke of you in the highest regard. When I red tour with them, What was that? What was that period like when you.
Speaker 8: Were is what happened? I think they sued rustling them and won. And I think it was at a time when I guess they were trying to at the time people try to black ball people, and at the time they I looked at them as brothers. I steal records from them. They steal from me and you know, you know records. When did you first meet them? I met them? Remember D from What's the TV? We went over there, went over to the studio. I mean, I knew episode. That's the first time you met him? No, I think I met him a little bit before, but we wasn't hanging okay, you know what I mean. You know you meet Yoda, so Bull your tribe, Wow and the BC Boys. It was me and the BC Boys versus Bull. He was playing basketball right.
Speaker 4: Time out Bill hit it and now another episode of what had happened was.
Speaker 8: All right, good, now some.
Speaker 4: Big jiga, the real big.
Speaker 8: So we playing. So we're playing, you know, basketball, I'm filing people everything like. So after we got done, we're playing the Mark Marky Mark, that was down with him. We're playing the piano, so Mark keyboard. It's not just like you. It's a whole bunch of people thinking right, but you're you're the conduit.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 8: So he played records from when I grew up. So he's playing like jab was a fool from And I'm singing every single record that they playing, you know what I mean, like a Magan wold Man use a yeah so la. So I'm singing blah blah blah. All sudden he started playing Benny and the Jets Toe to To. I started singing it, y'all. We was there for like hours, Do it again, do it again? Then they put it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got that.
Speaker 12: I got that.
Speaker 4: That's that would be one of my fire five I purchased. I purchased twenty copies of that Grand Royal Whitties magazine with your floppy record in it. So and then that's why I started okay instead of here.
Speaker 8: So so what happened was, you know, after that, we just started just playing with stuff and I would just come out there, hang with them, stay with them, and we just started doing just magical stuff. Like I would be at my house and I heard something because I used to like Ted Nugent.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, I was gonna say, how that tech Nugent collaboration happened? Was that separate?
Speaker 12: That was separate?
Speaker 8: I just think Jesus. I called them from the phone, right, and I said, Joe, I got something for you. It's like y'all getting out of jail or something, right, So I got something for you and he said play it. So I threw the record on and I said, et damn dumb man, y'all. I played that for like eight hours. Yo. I said this is for you, Yo, Pichon want to give you this, And I said, nah, we come on, man, we're cool, come on, don't worry about it. After that, we started just doing different things. Do Brad dude do. So then they just took me on tour with them. So it's like I was like Billy.
Speaker 4: Preston, you were Billy Preston to their fee, so you.
Speaker 8: Know, and then they showed for them. They showed me a lot of things. I didn't know how to conduct business, how to save for a rainy day, how to whatever, you know what I mean. And plus I used to take them sneaky shopping. I took them to a store and knew had every old school sneaker, but at the time it was great closed down and every procads everything was that dollar.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, wow, so their fashion shiit comes.
Speaker 8: We backed up, but we backed up a big truck MPV. I used to bring them they I used to bring them to jew Man. I used to bring them different spots. But then they used to bring me stuff.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 8: We used to it was like brotherhood.
Speaker 6: During the coach tilling years, were you actually making money off the records like royalties or was it mainly just to a bunny.
Speaker 8: I was making money off the records because I was recording, and since I used to record in the house, you didn't really have to need that much money to use it. As a budget like I would get my budget, said my budget to be three or five hundred recording the house, I just gotta pay my engineer, pay cooov give him.
Speaker 4: Oh in house, I'm thinking of like a label studio.
Speaker 8: It's in my house.
Speaker 4: So so wait, so you recorded a lot of going off in home equipment.
Speaker 12: Going off or like a lot of that was on four track.
Speaker 8: Marley did that.
Speaker 4: So for Diabolical every house I was about to say, Monthfoot's vocal sounds like you were in a bathroom or nah. I could tell like natural but natural reverb sound versus process reverb sound. Did you record muffoot in the house? What room your kitchen?
Speaker 8: No? Downstairs, the basement? I need a haircut. That was at the house too. That was grip Wow, all that was done at Coovie's house.
Speaker 4: Biz And who was this engineer?
Speaker 8: Sorry? Doc? But at first at first we had we had Shane, but then we went to Paul C. I think Paul C.
Speaker 4: Give me Paul C stories.
Speaker 8: Paul C was one of the greatest engineers. You know how you're a drama No, let's listen. Yes, but the thing is, you know how you listen to He didn't listen to the pads. He would do it on the numbers and then hit the button and the record to be done. Really, he was at the best.
Speaker 4: I didn't even think you worked with I was gonna ask you, did you know Paul C? I skipped I skipped Latin Cord of Stories and.
Speaker 8: You look no engineered, Kim. I traded Paul C.
Speaker 4: He he worked on your records, Yeah, my second album.
Speaker 8: I did not know that, he he he. I traded him Coolest Back Albums sealed.
Speaker 4: There's a funk in corporated sealed copy of Coolest Back that's not reissued from.
Speaker 8: Real damn that whenever we if I come, I'll bring you one. I'll give you one.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I get that and what else?
Speaker 8: Keep going?
Speaker 12: Let's so I traded him.
Speaker 8: I traded him Coolest Back Albums, right, and he traded me Hercules right? Okay?
Speaker 4: Hercules Aaron Nevil's just translation. Steve paul C was the U of the mid eighties to late eighties, but the cool white engineer that hung around a lot of black dudes.
Speaker 8: Nobody was better than him.
Speaker 7: On a twelve hundred that that collected, he sounds more talented than me.
Speaker 8: Actually, there's to be nobody better than him. Rest the Beech he was nobody bad. I mean.
Speaker 4: Company passed away. When did he pass away? He passed away because I know he's on the back.
Speaker 8: Of what the rhythm hit him. I think that's why rest r ip he. I think he passed away in eighty nine. I think I was the last one he was recording with. Something happened. I mean, I tell you.
Speaker 4: Off, Oh, it's like some be I thought it was like, you know what, he didn't have no beef.
Speaker 8: It was just the point of people could looking for somebody.
Speaker 4: Oh, man, ship one place a long time. We work at thirty Rock. We're saying safe man, I did not know you worked with the great Paul cy.
Speaker 8: Damn.
Speaker 4: So he was just like what was it about his production technique? Was the fact that he's shop stuff.
Speaker 8: Put his way. You know how. I think we played at the House of Blues. Remember I was I was sick at the time we played the house. I lost my voice. You remember when you did Mardi Gras. Yeah, you know how you have the funk? He just had that funk. Was he a musician? He was something?
Speaker 12: He was everything son, he was everything.
Speaker 8: So how you do see Paul see you see laws professor, Professor Policy Production. That's with Paul mcs paulsy mccasty.
Speaker 4: Incredible son dous he got any other stories like I feel like there's.
Speaker 8: Go ahead to ask whatever you want.
Speaker 9: And now tails from the Latin Quarter. We have been in the Latin Quarter that everybody comes on the show delivers a Latin Quarter story. You might as well, bis what's your best one.
Speaker 8: Best one Latin Quarter k r rest Battle of Melle mel.
Speaker 4: Everyone has yeah, from like five different someone talked about people. No, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 8: My best story is cash money coming to Latin Quarter and and killing it here. I'm gonna tell you what happened. Paradise has this Paradise has this Phelas suit on. He had I think he wore like seventeen consecutive weeks, and he had a big ass silver rope right you know when you win. So they got a big ass silver rope right to check it out. So he said, Yo, this guy says he's just he's better than Jazzy Jeff and blah blah blah blah blah. Here is cash money. He set up that you set him up like a five heart beat.
Speaker 4: Heart beat and they better than their temptations put together. But thegether, we should see the right.
Speaker 8: So so they bowing, they bowing. They cast money at first, No, this cast money by himself? What so cast started? What uh?
Speaker 12: And with a piece of president.
Speaker 4: He started doing top billing.
Speaker 8: What just too? I'm looking like So after a while I already knew cash money because hanging Philly, Yo, he burnt it down so bad everybody wanted to hang with him. He was like that kid on the block that the only kid that had HBO or atari And you'll be asking your mother, did you stay over there? And I go with you? I go with Derek House and he burned it down. That was That was one of my best. And another another story was when when people used to get robbed. Okay, what what?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 8: What is your uh?
Speaker 4: Haitian Jack story? Jack was cool with me, but I hear that the folk lord for those who don't know, I hear that Haitian Jack was the guy that has the most collections of hip hop gold chains.
Speaker 8: And it's a lot of them like that you have Jack, But.
Speaker 4: I heard Jack has like you know, he has rock kmsty and it's slick Rick. And I heard that he had about to say that, Okay, he was rick.
Speaker 12: Rick or bust you.
Speaker 8: We know this. I was there when that shootout happened in the Bronx at the Castle. Hit me world is bomb.
Speaker 4: And you got wait what happened?
Speaker 8: Here's what happened. They were outside of the Castle. I think he had an argument with what's the castle?
Speaker 4: The Castle?
Speaker 8: You know, the Castle was a club in the Bronx, and I think he was with some guys and I don't know if they were trying to rob him or whatever, but they were just shooting across from car to car.
Speaker 4: So wait, you're in this era and you know you just castle him into the gum like at no point is it just with you? Is it like they haven't a shootout or.
Speaker 8: Is just like.
Speaker 4: Actually, to be honest with you, viz when you on the show, I actually came up with the sound effect just for you or.
Speaker 12: The yo what they were busting?
Speaker 8: Like my man Ralphie got shot in his eye like this now on damn.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 8: They had a lot of They had a lot of They had a lot of good fights that in quarters though. You they had this dude coming from Connecticut. He was muscle, had a tank, he's gonna start talking dancing with dudes from Brooklyn Girls and everything. He's not worried all sudden that record came on. They got on him like they got him, like Bee, I wonder how much money could you get? One of the probably got you saying that whenever what comes on you, it was time to keep by uh uh Funky by Ultimate net Wow really sets them three.
Speaker 7: So you just knew.
Speaker 4: Instantly that when those records come on, like somebody Jane trying to get you for your Jane.
Speaker 8: No, I stang with them.
Speaker 12: I used to get them in.
Speaker 8: So your approach was befriend them or but I was friends with them before records. So yeah, so I'm you know, I'm with them. I used to borrow money off them from stuff like the real fifty cent, the real fifty cent, the real fifty cent from Brooklyn. She stick up am the car in the daytime and all that. I mean, And you weren't afraid of if we friends. I mean, you got people around your way that's gangster friends. You don't have people that's gangster that you.
Speaker 4: Yes, I put it on the show. Yeah I'm talking about these are real gangs. I know.
Speaker 8: It's just my.
Speaker 12: People what they toes out with timberlands and stuff on.
Speaker 8: This was real gangsters, supreme, All of them was real gangsters.
Speaker 4: So wait, can I ask how many uh uh Dapper Dan outfits do you have? And what was the copying adopt a Dapper Dan outfit? How long would it take from measuring to here's your outfit?
Speaker 8: Well, I used to hang with that, so about half half a year, half half a half hour? Wait? What what?
Speaker 12: I'm sorry, I gotta bring them. I gotta bring them.
Speaker 4: I can call them right now.
Speaker 8: No I haven't. Haven't.
Speaker 4: I have a dapper damn jacket.
Speaker 8: He made me one. But but it takes a half hour. I'm thinking you said measurements?
Speaker 16: No, but like how long would it take from like how long would it take from to make it to Wow?
Speaker 4: Because even googling you, you have some ill dapper Dan stuff. I've never seen nobody you know got.
Speaker 8: Up. I used to sit out there. I was out there when Mitch Green got punched by Mike Mitch Blood.
Speaker 12: I was sitting right there with my what dapping them?
Speaker 8: You were there when sending what It was.
Speaker 12: Early in the morning.
Speaker 4: Bow, So Michigan fores out there? You know, I know who is you know who's dapper damn like.
Speaker 11: Exactly design all the outfits with the m c M, the findy and ain't know about for everybody.
Speaker 8: You do me pajamas and everything I've seen.
Speaker 4: I feel like you have more crazier dapper dance up. And where is that stuff now? Is it in the storage? It's next to that beat machine that you can't see. Where do you keep your Where do you keep your artifacts? Who preserves your artifacts?
Speaker 8: I play with them most of the time.
Speaker 4: Oh so you actually collect your artifacts?
Speaker 8: I touched my joints and all my Johnny Lightning cars, my AFX everything.
Speaker 11: But does that in a different place than the throwbacks because you got different collections of different things.
Speaker 8: Because I got my house next to me and then I got my house. This is Marylands? When did you move to Maryland ninety four?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 8: What part of not Baltimore?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 8: Hell no?
Speaker 12: I mean I love Baltimore.
Speaker 8: But boye okay, I have a question, biz.
Speaker 4: It's a little off topic, but every topic.
Speaker 7: What's what's your favorite record store in New York or and and also like what's your favorite record store in the world.
Speaker 8: There's like a couple they used to have a store in Phoenix called Prickly Pair.
Speaker 4: Okay, and they had a one record Finders in La. Do you on latch mount for the amount of records you own? Is it now just to the point where it's like I own them?
Speaker 8: Or for you?
Speaker 4: Is it like, yo, I'm gonna make some of the funkiest records ever.
Speaker 8: Or is it.
Speaker 4: Trade off to something else?
Speaker 8: Or is it.
Speaker 4: You just want to live and listen to It's like you, like, do you utilize the stuff you collect?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 4: I'll admit maybe in the past ten years I've just been collecting and collecting and hoarding without even It's to the point now where I won't even open.
Speaker 8: The boxes that get shipped to my spots because I look through some stuff to make sure they're in there. Now, you might buy something and it's from across seas and you get it and it might be a brick in there.
Speaker 12: To make sure things is in there. So Iday with my forty five, So you know what I mean?
Speaker 7: So are you are you more infatuated with the record or the music that's on the record?
Speaker 8: You know what I mean?
Speaker 7: Like, as do you collect the records because of your love for all the you know, the artwork and this that and the other thing, or the music that's on.
Speaker 4: It, the sound.
Speaker 8: You know, if you buy an album that you've never seen, like you got white Orange?
Speaker 4: No, what's white orange album? Look it up? Loving this ship?
Speaker 8: Look it up?
Speaker 4: I just I mean, I could have told you from the gatelight Hea that he will name like twenty things that I will automatically have it.
Speaker 8: No to look look it up right now?
Speaker 12: You know, I'm not mad.
Speaker 8: It should be an album sweets jes fusing group. Yeah, it should be a it should be a white orange on it. What is it?
Speaker 11: The sweetest jazz fusion group?
Speaker 4: Maybe let me see the coming let me see the white orange.
Speaker 8: It's a white orange, yeah I do. I've never seen that. Shit? What year is that? From? Nineteen eighty? All right? So what about it? I just like the way they play on it. They play different than anybody else. The sounds is incredible.
Speaker 4: Hook me up, biz, I got you.
Speaker 8: I'm giving you, I'm dropping jewels, I'm giving you names. I didn't never know what that is.
Speaker 11: So at this point, you got every record that you want, though, right?
Speaker 8: Is it one? Right now? I mean, you can never have every record you want, but I'm close. I'm like ninety nine point nine. What are you? What you're looking for that you do not have? Like? What do you? What's your holy grail? I gotta get this record. It's a forty five. It's the Sony Walkman commercial on forty five?
Speaker 4: What I got one?
Speaker 8: I'm just looking for another one.
Speaker 4: You notice this is probably the episode of Question of Suprea that I've done the least sound effects on. It just stumps even me to even what are you looking for? I don't know what I'm looking for? You know what, Biz, I'd be honest with you. I think I'm satisfied you guys. You guys are slowly trying to lure me into this forty five hole that I get. I think I understand it. But if I'm honest, I think I'm trying to resist it. What's your name? Is trying to pull me into it?
Speaker 8: Natasha?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Natasha Diggs is really trying to lure me into this forty five uh sunk in place that I don't know if I Because the thing is that when I when I commit to when I when I commit to collecting, I go super hard on it. And I think I'm at the place now where I'm like, I'm satisfied. But but but but the thing is now I do I do multi tracks? Multi tracks?
Speaker 8: We all did.
Speaker 4: Remember, That's why I'm going to talk to you this over.
Speaker 12: I just want to mixes. I don't care about all those stuff.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm just saying, what are you.
Speaker 11: Trying to get? Is the trade going on?
Speaker 4: We don't know about you?
Speaker 8: Come on, we always The thing is, ever since I known quest, we always talked about this. Here's the thing.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing. What one item can you talk about that you know that you're not allowed to talk about as far as.
Speaker 8: You owning something? I mean, I see that's the thing. You.
Speaker 4: I feel like there's basic level, basic pedestrian level collecting like Funky Jummer forty five or some real super obvious.
Speaker 8: Then there's.
Speaker 12: Multi drives you told about record.
Speaker 4: No, No, I'm just saying in general, like people have general pedestrian collective stuff that's you know, fair, you know everyone has. And then there's advanced level stuff that you know that you might have to go to this particular country to get this specific mix. And then there's the third rail level of like you know, you have some ship that someone gave you in secret, but you can't share with the world ever, and it's like, Frank, Mmmm, you got that?
Speaker 8: Which which joint? Which joint? Before I let go multi tracks for his sons?
Speaker 4: Does he own his own multi tracks?
Speaker 8: BC Boys was at Capital in the nineties. I mean, but that's that's another story for I keep going. Another thing I got from somebody, it's between us or wait, we're on the air. I know you're saying out here they.
Speaker 4: Can't find it.
Speaker 12: Bluesing Pants forty five?
Speaker 8: Really, no such thing.
Speaker 4: I'll show you the picture. Wait, what country? What country?
Speaker 8: It don't matter what country is direct, it's not an American person, it don't matter. It's the record. Okay, Blues and Pants?
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 4: Not minutes?
Speaker 8: I never knew there was.
Speaker 4: It was a single, damn.
Speaker 8: Quest You still have the same number, right you? Picture hit biz ladies and gentlemen. This was another episode picture. Do you have like every ct I record? He will say, yeah them, Yeah, got most of them.
Speaker 7: There's one that's sort of the holy grail CTI record that I'm trying to find.
Speaker 4: He's going to say, yeah, he's never going to see it.
Speaker 7: It's called It's called stone Bone by J and K and.
Speaker 8: My Stuff. I got two trombone player. Guys.
Speaker 7: Uh, it's like, yeah, I think it was Japan only or something.
Speaker 8: You got Doom, David Matthews, I got you got doom? Yeah, Bob Jason World forty five, you got on one side. I have a tenant.
Speaker 4: I have a tenants of nautilusts uh like not a twelve inch but a tendancy tendency. I think I have a tenants of Nautilus uh five.
Speaker 9: For those listening, this is like the Okay Corral standoff of record, like they're staring. There's so much amazing that another.
Speaker 4: One real real Yet to brag on anything I had, Honey, buys you anything right now?
Speaker 8: But asley clip a real, real, real label. Oh, non Chuck Brown, I got it from Chuck brod used lived down the block for me before he passed.
Speaker 4: Non Sussex record.
Speaker 12: Non, No, that's sauce.
Speaker 4: I have Ale Roads clip when they were on a sauce.
Speaker 8: No, you bet you at thousand dollars sauce. No, you're right. You watched the made Source. I made a mistake. Its on s Yeah.
Speaker 4: Clarence Atabel, Yes, I don't have the forty five.
Speaker 8: I don't believe you know. I'm so exactly.
Speaker 4: You're wait paid in full break just.
Speaker 12: So I gotta see even better. I gotta see even better.
Speaker 8: You like it too, on a real twelve and forty five? What biz? No?
Speaker 12: No, I'm I know.
Speaker 8: Look it up.
Speaker 12: I know twelve minutes right now, look it up right now.
Speaker 8: This is I'm yo. You like it too, straight up?
Speaker 4: Look up for you. If they got a picture listening and hearing me stumped and all this ship, it's awesome, all this kryptonite.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna tell you. Look it up. Let me tell y'all something twelve inch.
Speaker 4: I gotta get my powers back from Germany. We're gonna do round two from there. This is I'm gonna get my power back.
Speaker 8: Heldo, SI making it up.
Speaker 16: No, it's a real from Germany. Come on, son, okay, biz, what's this?
Speaker 8: Oh that's easy.
Speaker 12: I'm going to make it real fun up for you, all right, And I got forty five.
Speaker 8: This is not mister mean.
Speaker 4: Foster Silvers, mister Montain, huh uh, I know what it is, but I can't.
Speaker 8: H uh.
Speaker 4: Come, Oh, let's walking all right. That's if there's a will, there's a way by Don Coved Okay, all right, next yeah, Oh that's yeah, okay, I forgot that. I see. At first I was going to pick the song you thought I was gonna do, and I was like, no, never got me with that. You got let me find that same a living. Another song is singing in the morning, Singing in the morning. That's funky. Oh sing in the morning. All right, I'll do one humble bred Oh. Wait, and now a humble Brad. I think it is basically it's quest now I'm not even going to play for it.
Speaker 8: This. Do you have funky worm stems?
Speaker 4: Do I got a funky worm?
Speaker 8: I think I do the stems, my little fucker punk the stems.
Speaker 4: I think I got funky Ohio players.
Speaker 8: Yes, I think I do. I gotta love, I think I do. I think that's everybody got that. I think No, I think about the real I think boys had that first.
Speaker 4: It's like a sult mine, right, you guys have a special relationship with Armand and his son.
Speaker 8: Look about.
Speaker 4: No, not the forty five with the with the with the defensive. Yes, you're talking about the rare forty five where they put you trying to play smart on I hate when they do that. Wait one of the one of the side note Dylan side note. One of one of the one of the greatest games of of of who's on first between Dylan and I was when we were clearing UH the samples.
Speaker 8: For the Light.
Speaker 4: He tried to say funky one. He's like and funky warmed by how players. I'm like, that's not funky worm. He's like, yeah, it's fun I'm like, that's not funky worm. That's you're getting to be too smart.
Speaker 8: And then they got too different. Both of them got the break on the right, but sound and break.
Speaker 4: Dylan didn't realize that at the time. So when I finally got to Detroit and he played the forty five for me like we were short of, like, yo, I bet you five hundred dollars, and then he played it. I was like, holy shit.
Speaker 8: And then both of them got them right. So Troy Emeralds and UH and Ohio, but that's just same soundings.
Speaker 4: But I still consider that, you know, Detroit Emeralds and not you know.
Speaker 8: Nah, the two different records. Yeah, but they took it from Detroit Emeralds. I don't know who they took it from. I know it's on the record, but when you listen to Detroit Emeralds break it still this way. Yeah, yeah, they just took it anyway. This is your last one?
Speaker 4: Really are you now?
Speaker 8: I say ship that's mel Mellow right on. Yeah, that's a distinctive.
Speaker 11: Base suicide because I think I thought I had known that.
Speaker 4: The only one didn't say anything. Next, Yes, this is I'm sorry, I'll play the.
Speaker 8: Mellow.
Speaker 4: Next is that he sounds like, yeah, I don't know, oh wow, more steams than his orchestra from it's called the Long Wait. Yeah, I think it's I think it's part of the Hawaii five soundtrack. There's your last one? Biz, Oh, I know what that is? That's uh.
Speaker 8: I got the I got the record, I got the forty five, I got the album.
Speaker 12: I got the album.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Jay z.
Speaker 4: Eddie Henderson inside you? Is there any question of we could just play who got? What's fun?
Speaker 8: Do we learned anything?
Speaker 4: Listen, let's just fast forward to the end. What did you learn today?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 4: Because we didn't learn something, we gotta ask business.
Speaker 8: We gotta do the second go around.
Speaker 4: Man, What do you learn?
Speaker 6: Is like dude, like he's like the master collector of like everybody, and like any record that you want to know is.
Speaker 8: Like you got.
Speaker 4: I feel like there's a question that we're forgetting to ask. It's gonna be like Captain obvious. Once, Oh okay, I found out I've got to ask.
Speaker 8: About Yo Gabba Gabba. But go ahead.
Speaker 4: What did you learn?
Speaker 9: I learned that I could listen to Big Markey talk for many hours and I'm totally with matter of fact, while were added, give let's talk about children's music.
Speaker 4: I know about that, and so the same. So yeah, how did you how did you get involved with the Yo Gabba Gabba camp?
Speaker 12: What happened with Yo Gabba Gabba?
Speaker 8: They asked me to come in to do the dancing dance, but the night before I dj in l A and you know you standing up for like five six hours you tied. So I was lazy, and so I just said, Yo, Christians, while I make them, why don't teach the kids how to do the beat box? I named it biz Beata today and then we did it. They put that on the on the pilot and then they got an old woman response and they put me down.
Speaker 4: Are they still actively shooting stuff for it? They and they arguing with.
Speaker 11: Because earlier about your Gabba Gabba getting you all the way, well not getting you to Japan. But getting you to the techniques to get the special turn in.
Speaker 8: Because anybody wants to give make their kids happy.
Speaker 11: That's what I was going to ask you. How many opportunities has that opened up for you in a different ways? You never would have thought being on the Kids show opened up this door.
Speaker 4: I think she meant more career goals and kids knowing you're not just I always play with kids.
Speaker 6: I love kids anyway, Yeah, I always just even sitting there listening to you talk like you're a walking like cartoon characters that have you ever done any of that or had any opportunities?
Speaker 8: I did Strangebob once. I did a couple of things, but you know, I'm musically driven.
Speaker 4: So what was it like doing Men in Breack? Like? I saw the premiere screening of it, and I'll say that you got a bigger response than Michael Jackson he did, because when Michael Jackson was shocked, like, oh he hit it, But when they saw Bizz like, the whole audience was whoa Like you know.
Speaker 8: Like what happened was Jeff wasn't going out with Will at the time, and he was doing all the albums and Hidden Beaches right right, So Jeff said Jeff and Will said, Yo, why don't you be DJ? So I started going out with Will, so I was hanging around. I hung around the set one time and Tommy Lee and said, Yo, why don't you get your man to do the B box and you'all talk together and that'll be a scene. Wow damn, I said, thank you, Will. They're the greatest.
Speaker 12: Jeff is the greatest.
Speaker 8: I love him.
Speaker 12: That's my brother.
Speaker 11: I take a bullet from what's the craziest evolution you've seen? Because a lot of the folks that you came up with, just like you, evolve crazy like. But like looking at Will, Jeff, looking at so many Latifa, like whoever you looked at and went like shit, I just would have never but just dope.
Speaker 8: Flash just that, I mean, just think of the records he found. Would hip hop be like that if he wasn't here? True? Not even I mean Bam Bodies, Bamboda did or did or but Flash.
Speaker 4: So flashes at the top of the pinnacle for you. As far as Flash.
Speaker 8: The El Brothers, just think about it. We all eating I mean, you play.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, wait, you mentioned the Ol Brothers. What crew from back in the day? Who I mean, who's the ultramatenetic from back of the day that are like pioneers that will not get the dude credit. I'm talking from the original Eric. So you always hear about he Cold Chuss Brothers and the Funky four plus one, like they always named these crew, But who's that one crew that had like ill routines, ill techniques that didn't get there just Dan.
Speaker 8: Even though they had records Master Dawn crash crew.
Speaker 4: I had boilers Dog, but I forgot them first round ever, bit I hate that. I'm not a room see be like first Round. All my cities first round.
Speaker 8: I've ever been that first speed rap? Talk about it if I can think about it. Oh yeah, the crash is three too. Yeah, it's just the point of I'm just happy to still be alive to watch what's going on. Come on, you're the roots but you biz no, no, no this listen one to get ready tell you you DJ did the White House? Listen forget?
Speaker 4: I mean forget later. Yeah the first time. Wait, this is a funny story for you. So we're at I forget what event it was that was? No, no, no, the first time I went to the White House correspondence dinner. Oh, yeah, and I was begging to be the DJ, and they were like, no, we can't because you know, we got biz And I was like, come on, man, so business spinning. And he puts his record on I never heard before I and as a DJ, and I'm looking and suddenly he puts this record on and I swear it's like you remember the scene. I'm giving an old reference, but this is the only way I could describe it. You know, it was like three o'clock and the brown Hornet comes on.
Speaker 8: And like.
Speaker 4: All of them, but you know, you remember, I'll explain that every everyone just stopped what they were doing and instantly ran to the dance floor to start doing the wobble. But it was like Rachel maddowt it was like the white wobble, like white people do, like stop and I didn't know it, even like Torrey was like leading this line and I never heard the record before. I'm like, wait, what's this and vin Bis looking like you never heard of the wobble?
Speaker 11: You had never heard of the okay, right.
Speaker 4: It was like maybe maybe two months old, and not just wasn't on it, but I was. I was like d C ship or whatever, because at the rate war to knew the dance, and I was like, damn, I'm funked up in the game because the wobble.
Speaker 6: It goes every fan reunion, every wedding reception, a Cuban shuffle.
Speaker 8: Yeah, those lying that like black folks, I.
Speaker 11: Mean, you're right, start south and Midwest.
Speaker 4: But I was just that the attendees of the White House correspondence like not only knew the dance, but like, because wait to do today everything.
Speaker 8: It's so nice to be I'll be right back.
Speaker 4: That was That was That was a crazy moment.
Speaker 11: You cut off business compliment. I just worry about notice compliments.
Speaker 7: You want to hear compliments, compliment what you learn I learned that he's better than you.
Speaker 4: Pretty much.
Speaker 8: A lot of ways, sug.
Speaker 7: I have one more question, though, there's this Crieff like a.
Speaker 4: Lot hold on. Yeah, wait, ladies, Steve Stevens he said under.
Speaker 12: The Louis, yeah you have that.
Speaker 8: You have Wait did you say to two or true? What do you say?
Speaker 7: The Bob James joint came in came in that too, right, Okay. I've been scouring, like even.
Speaker 8: I couldn't find that for Steve, and I've been looking for Yeah, it's very like.
Speaker 4: First of all, not a lot of people know about it.
Speaker 7: And second of all, they must have made like ten of them or some ship because they're they're not around.
Speaker 8: Like you can't find you got I think we had twenty seventeen. A lot of things ain't.
Speaker 12: Gonna be around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you can't.
Speaker 8: It's not it's not. You gotta think if you was shopping for records in the eighties in the nineties, everything was around.
Speaker 7: This came out in eight is when, but it was it was a promotional thing where like I got it.
Speaker 8: From Iole, from rat I stole it from BLS because they had w w r L and b LS update what I say say so not w b LS. I love it.
Speaker 7: You just took it from a radio station, both of them. From the radio station.
Speaker 4: Steve hasn't been as excited ever, you know. And it's funny. There's always in every hip hop producer's story, there's a.
Speaker 7: Straight hold on a second, can we trade something?
Speaker 4: There's my phone? Take this, it's first born. There's always a radio station that you rated all them colleges that they always has that one intern that I was super nice too. That was just like I don't care about these records, you can go through them.
Speaker 8: And that's time to get the records eighty. Because it was the transition period to the season. I was wow.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeah, let's I mean, Steve has been in quite a pain for this episode, but the second for his whole life. The second that Bissan mentioned that briefcase, it was like, Lazard, you remember another old reference when Warning McFly came to life once his parents kissed at the champ angel and he started playing. That was the all right, boss, Bill, what did you learn? You learned that this episode is going a half hour overboard?
Speaker 8: I looked too long. No no, no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 10: I kind of want to co sign with Steve said, I've been shopping record for records with you. I think I want to go with BIZ next. Okay, yeah, that's that's the case. Do you still go records out?
Speaker 8: Let me see it? Nah?
Speaker 11: Exactly, it's he said, he got ninety nine everything that he wants.
Speaker 8: Right, Okay, come on, quest even if you come out and make a case to DJ withold what records you really looking forward that you got to find? Right now?
Speaker 4: I'm telling you, Biz, I think I'm satisfied.
Speaker 8: I I'm good, A good.
Speaker 4: Yes I have. I have about one hundred thousand records, and I'll say that of those hundred thousands, I know that at least a good nine hundred are like ultra ultra special. I mean the rest is like, you know, do I really need all the high energy records from Motown? Now? Do I need like dance all night by the Parts?
Speaker 8: No? On? People? Do you got to show enough?
Speaker 4: I know I have every People record ever you got?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh sweet, signed in the wicket?
Speaker 8: You got forty five?
Speaker 4: Show up, dude, you got the forty five justin Timberlake Joint?
Speaker 11: Do you have the forty five?
Speaker 8: I own it? How do I own it?
Speaker 4: I do not have a forty five? I think, No, there's not a record I know I own show.
Speaker 8: Once.
Speaker 4: Justin told me that record for Suiting, Time, Suit and Tie.
Speaker 12: I knew the record when I heard it.
Speaker 8: Yes, I own that record. I don't know which configuration I own it. I got to forty five, but I know I know people. One is the purple people.
Speaker 4: There's a wait, there's a white there's a white label.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I do own one. Jesus, did I just tell you read and they got a purple didn't hear the red one.
Speaker 4: Yes, I know I have a white label, sure enough, but also you know I cheat because I know Alan leit. So literally, he's just give me all this, James Brown over it.
Speaker 8: Just do you got Champ? You know Champs? I have that on the album. I don't have a Atlantic Records, No, Steven still man, we are all very very disappointed. Man. I learned.
Speaker 11: I learned that a mind has never been polluted by weed is a powerful thing. And this is your memory is like fucking remarkable. I hope there's no book biz.
Speaker 8: They want me to do a book, but what was wrong? I'm still singing, so you know I ain't no Unsung yet.
Speaker 11: You gotta do it, Unsung, write a book. People a lot Russell write books like every two years.
Speaker 12: So one thing, go ahead, question you got this back?
Speaker 8: Then if you get money and you go to a record shop and you get him, you get him A fifty. Didn't let you look through anything. Take you to the back, They take you, take you to go underneath. Okay, what your way? I knew voalshively, you know that right fucking real? Yes, he's let me go in the basement, go to his house and everything.
Speaker 4: I would never get past the letter d Voal Shively is the guy that was like mean to us, and then he found out who my dad was.
Speaker 8: It was like, welcome to my store, offer me a job. Now I don't want it, all right, So all right, this is what I'm proposing, and this is what you don't know biz. All right.
Speaker 4: So I'll say for the last four months, me and practically all the heavyweights and hip hop production, from Pete to Primo to j Cole to Ninth Wonder to just Blaze.
Speaker 8: To uh forgetting people.
Speaker 4: Not nots to Fortain. Yeah, Harrison, J Harrison is, stro Elliott, everyone, Jeremy Ellis, Everybody's in this. This tip Swiss beats.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 4: So I started a thread and we dubbed ourselves. We're like a brotherhood of nineteen cats, and we dubbed ourselves. Asked Vaughan got here, No, literally the the yes, besides we can catch it. Yes, yes, Peanut butter Wolf is talking right now. Literally, I'm on with like all twenty two of them with asked one. Wait, okay, he says, oh wow, okay, this is the last question I'm gonna ask you. They I'm proposing a special BIZ episode of of Ofquest Love Supreme, in which if I can coordinate the twelve ask one East Coast members to do the show where they literally lee grill Biz on story because they're still like and I'm telling him like yo, he really does as it's forty five. Okay, here's your final story.
Speaker 8: Biz.
Speaker 4: You have to ask business from Rashott Smith.
Speaker 8: I know the story. I know this story. Wait, let me read it. Let me read you gotta actually read it though.
Speaker 4: Yes, mother, I'm my own goddamn radio self.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 4: Rushott Smith says, you have to ask Biz about the luth Evanrels Madison Square Garden story on now he got a beat from Luthor to come to beatbox for on stage at the garden. True or false?
Speaker 8: True? That was when I had just a front out and we was both represented by BURTA. Dell Ah So Burke Padell was the one that asked me, you go get up there. You know, if you get up there with Luther, you know you get some of his fans and this and that. Would you do?
Speaker 11: Did you I do something together?
Speaker 8: I just did Ladies and Jent. Look that up.
Speaker 12: If you I can't look at it, I mean I'm saying look and see if that be.
Speaker 8: And Luther van jos was both represented by Burke Padell I or you looking at it right now? Now he was in accounting right, Bert was.
Speaker 4: Okay, but if I can organize and ask one session.
Speaker 8: Yeah, take them all on.
Speaker 4: I want to see you pull off this.
Speaker 11: I got this, got get him on video statings you can put in the group. I'll take all y'all motherfuckers.
Speaker 12: And I put them on. I get in the group.
Speaker 8: Two.
Speaker 11: Oh my god, you ain't got to work to he's got to work to get in the group.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can only hold twenty two people, and we accidentally had to boot Diplot off the supposedly anyway, all right, so I have you a video right now. So you're saying to the Askan crew that they're allowed to come and grill you.
Speaker 8: Whenever you want to. I'm gonna grow you up back too. Don't leave your feelings at the door. I'll tell you got a hip hop starter. So Rush, I got stories about him too, And I remember when Q Tip used to be in high school at Mary Bertram, I know all that.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 8: Anyway, it's gonna be like the Battle of Oil. See this is all ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 4: This is a very special, special special special episode of Business Markey's Quest Love Supreme only on vandor on behalf of Sugar Steve and uh Fan Tigelow and Boss Bill.
Speaker 8: And You're going to have business on Sesame Street one day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he's He's the new Joe Roposo right there.
Speaker 8: Yes, I said the street.
Speaker 4: This is part of our new idea. Five people, I did.
Speaker 8: This is all right?
Speaker 4: All right, business down and uh, I'm Phil, I'm I'm sorry. Well you're paid, Yeah, well paid.
Speaker 8: And Martin he did. Yes, you did awesome.
Speaker 4: Bus fantastic, thank you, thank you for your time.
Speaker 12: Yes, you did awesome.
Speaker 4: And just to watch us away from our sins off this dude one, I wait, thank you man, I appreciate you, all right.
Speaker 1: What's Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora.
Speaker 4: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.