Speaker 1: And now moving my mic back, you're like that.
Speaker 2: You can strike head borders behind him and.
Speaker 3: If you're just tuning in the civic sacer around your host rams this Joh he is Joh, I am q Ward.
Speaker 1: She is maggieby knowing.
Speaker 3: She are saying excited, big shot out maggiby know and she put together a good show for us this week. A lot more to stick around for, so please do just that. We're going to talk a little bit more about kind of where we left off there some police accountability, the value of police, and really what what we think, uh you.
Speaker 1: Know, in terms of we're gonna be fair though, because we're sorry you said police accountability and I just couldn't help it. I'm sorry. That's it's this is the place for that. We're gonna be fair. We're gonna be as fair as we will man.
Speaker 3: But we're also going to look at how government institutions look at policing and the disconnect between our lived reality. We're also going to talk about the origins of policing for our way Black history. Fact for those that don't know, policing comes from slave times, you know, as it turns out, So stick around for all that but first and foremost, we're going to discuss how to become a better ally b A b A bah bah. And this is brought to you by Hip Hop Weekly magazine, and we're going to do especially one this week. We're going to shout out our listeners. You We're going to name one listener in particular, but you listening to this show, you are becoming better allies by listening to the conversations that we're having. You know, twenty twenty told us that we need to talk more. That's what we're doing. But you know, what do you say? We don't do this for free. We do it for freedom, right, That's what Maggie tells us, right. But I think more importantly we say at the end of the show, the show has been growing, and it has been and in order to really take advantage of all the opportunities, and if you feel inclined, you can support us in that growth fiscally. And I want to give an example here. This message came from a listener named Timothy Roper, who listens to us on WOOLFM black Sheet Radio in Vermont.
Speaker 1: Black Sheet Radio. I love itmwol I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So he wrote us a message and he sent us fifty bucks and we use that fifty bucks to purchase something that we now have in the studio with us man. So thank you, Timothy. We appreciate you, and you can do the same. But he sent a note with his donation. It says, I listened to your syndicated show on Wooln Vermont. I want to extress my gratitude for all you share and the wisely measured way in which you share it. So we want to say thank you, Timothy. Your words and of course your monetary generosity genuinely have made a difference in our world, and.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you. We appreciate you. Brother.
Speaker 3: You can do the same. There's a ton of ways to donate. Hit Civiccipher dot com and you'll see it. It's right there. Help us grow. We need you and we'll do this thing together. Now moving on, why can't we live? And where is the real accountability?
Speaker 1: What a question? Right? That's that's that's that's one for the ages. So I wonder if we'd said that instead of Black Lives Matter, if they would have come up, they would actually slow, they would have figured it out, and you know, and opposition to that one, they would have figured it out. Man.
Speaker 3: Listen, babe, we are not up against forces that are uninformed or unintelligent. These are people that are master manipulators. They know how to twist the narrative. They you know, I was watching something about Tucker Carlson. Not to go off on a tangent here, but he was having a conversation with a student, and his advice to the student was, you know, get married and have lots of babies.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And as you know, the great replacement theory is something that's largely pushed on the right where white men in particular feel like they're going to lose the numbers game quote unquote, and they feel that it's a concerted effort by Jewish people who have coordinated with black and Hispanic folks to shift the numbers away from a white majority in the country. Not that nature does that, because you know, if you look at it through a scientific lens, it's nature.
Speaker 1: Maggie, Maggie, I don't know if she can answer us because she doesn't have a mic. Did you get the email for the invitation to the Jewish minorities pilgrimage to erase white people as on? Like, I don't know that that's a firm note they send civic cipher. No, no, no they didn't. I didn't get that either. It wasn't on the website that they would get a pamphlet at the po box. No, if they did, you know, this would be the place where we would share it with people. Right, you know, I would have loved to have done a show live from place conference or trades or whatever you would call such a thing. It's it's it's but you see what I mean, there are these.
Speaker 3: Uh they make these boogeymen out of thin air, and they do a great job of scaring their constituents and their listeners into taking action against forces that are not even they don't even exist in a shared reality. And nobody, nobody's counting. Nobody's like, okay, we need to have more babies so that we can have the number. Like what that that feels? So it's like hustling backwards because then what exactly we got to take all these babies?
Speaker 1: Right? So anyway, because our government sure goes out of their way to help us support all these babies.
Speaker 3: Right, thank you Q for pointing out the obvious. But that narrative is so entrenched. This is the the narrative that the white supremacist shooter in the top supermarket had he had written on his gun, you will not replace us, you know.
Speaker 1: And this is shared you know in those those those white supremacist like chat rooms on the internet, their manifesto places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're not stupid, they are just they subscribe to a separate reality that it's not a shared reality.
Speaker 1: It's just their reality. And they're so afraid of what we know to be nothing, but in their world it's a very real thing. I mean, they found a way to stir their base into a frenzy that's monolithic. Sure, and that's why it's successful. They don't have to have the majority, right, we can outnumber them by tens of millions, but they're if we got sixty million and they got ten, all their ten is on the same page. They on the same joint, Like this is what we're on right, our sixty I'm talking about I don't like Ramses's afro, He don't like my hair, his glasses. The black minds have a gold tinge. We're gonna spend our whole thing pointing out the problems in the holes and the small fractures in each other that ten million. They don't care nothing about none of that. They are trying to replace us. Yeah, that's it. That is their work. That fear worked for that small number of people, and they are united in that fear. So we are cannibalizing ourselves by tearing each other down and not supporting the same message, the same vision, the same anything. It is quite discouraging. You know what comes to mind when you say that is the way that we treated Bernie Sanders for the last election. But hang on, I have I have a whole other another point to me. So to your point, it wouldn't matter if we called a movement black Lives Matter, It wouldn't matter if we called a slogan defund the police. They would figure out. In they're brilliance, I would admit that, in they're brilliance, they would figure out a way to challenge the narrative and the actual language the war cry.
Speaker 3: They would figure it out. You know, these are marketing professionals. I went to school for marketing, so I know, like, man, that's brilliant. You know, a way to counter counter a statement, a movement or whatever. And then, because they are monolithic in their focus and in their efforts, they can exist and really do some damage to a movement or a moment. Now, let's actually look into what we're trying to look into here for this topic. All right, So our first set of notes comes from the Washington Post.
Speaker 1: All Right.
Speaker 3: During his presidency, the Trump administration abandoned a provision, sorry, abandon a proven way to reduce police violence. Patterner practice investigators are considering one of the best ways to reign in and reform dysfunctional departments. Congress created the authority for these federal and investigations formerly known as thirty four USC one two six or A one and the aftermath of the vicious beating of Rodney King by LAPD officers. Now the patterner practice investigations civil not criminal investigations aimed at systemic problems, not individual officers, allow but allow the federal government to sue any law enforcement entity that engages in a pattern or practice of conduct that deprives a person's rights, privileges, or immunities secured by or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States. Government cannot sue for money, but it can sue for what's called equitable and declaratory relief, which is an order from a judge that police agencies have to enact specific reforms. Most cases don't go to trial. Once the federal government has uncovered specific and multiple constitutional violations, the police department will often begin negotiating rather than defend its practices in court. These usually result in consent decrees, where the police departments agree to reform their practices. Now, the Trump administration abandoned this provision that minimized or minimized might not be the right word, but reduced police violence.
Speaker 1: And it can't be intelligently argued that they did that for any other reason than to allow these agencies to operate the way that they do with impunity. That's it, right.
Speaker 3: So if it was just Donald Trump, you might listen, might think, well, yeah, of course that's Trump. That's what he does, that's what he stands for, that's what his base wants.
Speaker 1: You know, because the United States of his base isn't affected by not just Orange man. So watch this, and this is why we're talking about this this week because our producer Maggie pointed out to us that President Biden, our current sitting president of the United States of America, as of you're listening to our voice, he was set to make an announcement in support of allocating more funds for the police and hiring more officers, right, and that was overshadowed. That announcement was overshadowed because he got COVID right at the same time. So it ended up kind of getting put out by the White House. But he didn't get to say it because he was not allowed to be in front of folks on camp or.
Speaker 3: Whatever his situation was. But he was set to do that, So I'll read this. This one also comes from the Washington Post. Biden makes his midterm message clear, fund the police, all right. Republicans applauded the blunt proclamation. Activist mourned its deeper message. This comes via Legal Defense Funds website. Response to Biden's proposal. On Thursday, President Biden revealed the Safer America Plan okay, which includes important support for community led crime prevention and intervention, increased law enforcement accountability, sentencing reform, and gun violence abatement. Now those key words in there sound like what it is that everyone's been working toward, right, community policing, you know, increased accountability, so forth and so on, Right, But it fails to address, In fact, it exacerbates the existing problem, which is over policeing. I want to take a moment right here because I had a conversation with a friend today and he went to a grocery store, and he said, a person walked into the grocery store and went to the fruit section of the grocery store, grabbed some fruit and started eating the fruit.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: This is very sad because the person that went into the store and got the fruit was hungry. That's why you go in the store to that's where the food is.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: If a moose walked into the store and ate an apple, what do you do with the moose? Do you call the police? Well, you might call the police because you might not want to run at a moose, but you know what I'm trying to say, definitely not trying to get down with the moose. But does the moose get arrested?
Speaker 1: You call the police is for far different reasons, right, and the police respond in a different way to an animal. Okay, But this person went into the store hungry, right to the fruit wrap some fruit on the cameras of everything. Let me just eat this fruit, right, So what recourse does the store have?
Speaker 3: Called the police? And when you call the police, you know the store didn't have to do that. I don't want to mention the store because there were stores, but.
Speaker 1: I mean you could actually got to pay for Yeah.
Speaker 3: But my assumption is that, you know, I don't know that the man's personal details. Remember I'm hearing this from someone who witnessed it happen. But you know, if you're a store manager, my assumption is that this was a middle manager type of person that perhaps is a you know, based on this where the location of the store and the population in that part of the city, this might have been someone who was not melanated.
Speaker 1: We'll say that it doesn't mean you can't be compassionate and exactly just by the person a piece of fruit, right. But the thing is, this show exists to teach people what it looks like a dollar that it might cost. But again, this show exists to teach people what that might look like. They may not know how to be compassionate because they may never never have seen it. They may think, Okay, what is the only thing I can do to keep my job? To address this? Five pounds of bananas cost like a dollar and fifty cent. Okay, we know this. I'm just saying, we know this so does the grocery store manager. Okay, but watch this again. If their systems in place and you're trying to your best to do your job and do right by everybody, you might think the only thing I can do, it's called the police. If you didn't grow up like us, that might be the only thing, that's the only tool that you have. Because you might not know in your mind, if you don't have any melanin in your skin, and you didn't grow up culturally adjacent to black and brown people in the city, you might not know what it's like to be over policed in the first place. You might not have even heard any stories. You also might be underqualified to be a manager of a retailer. Okay, we can, we can. We can have that conversation too. That's a separate conversation. But you're not wrong. But you know, just to finish, they called the police. The police come in mass so by the time I because you got to send swat because right so, by the time going down and produce, by the time my friend leaves the store, there's seven police cars something like that, tons of police officers for someone now seated at the front of the store for eating fruit. In the store with no money and no intention to pay for it. Now, if you're like me and you live in this country, you know right now food prices are high, wages are down, you know what I mean, Like it's it's you know, it's hard to keep a job, it's hard to keep rent, and so forth and so on. So so let's hang on hand. We gotta get out of it. Let me let me finish, Let me finish, Let me finish what I'm saying. Man.
Speaker 3: So, if that's the only number that you can call, and that's the way that they respond. If you send seven police cars to respond to somebody eating fruit at a store, imagine how much money it takes to get that going, to get that endeavor. All those officers are there now for an hour, writing incident reports, making sure there's back up radio. You know, these are resources that we pay for for somebody eating fruit versus what did you say, how much do them bananas costs?
Speaker 1: I want four pounds of bananas yesterday for a dollar and forty one cent or something like that. So do you think that maybe there is a ticketing system that might work a little bit better there? Or you know, I'm not saying I have the answer, but I'm saying that rethinking what policing needs is even even with the systems in place. Yet, let's find the guy, however, manager, store manager, if anyone listening as a store manager. Of course, you cannot do this for every case because you have a family to support, you have bills. But by the person the piece of fruit, yeah, man, and if you see somebody really really like, by the person the piece of fruit. But listen, if you see somebody stealing food, no you didn't. That's it simple.
Speaker 3: If somebody's stealing your bike out of your front yard, you run them down and you get your bike back.
Speaker 1: However, that looks you and that person got to work that out. I mean, right, if they're stealing cases of noodles, and like there's stealing stuff off the out of the aisles in the store, and there a thief, then yeah, they should probably be dealt with like a thief. They shouldn't be you know, things can go really wrong, however, food Well, let's let's not pretend that we don't live in a capitalist society. However, yeah, that's fair. Right, if you still are microphones, we can't just watch you do it because whatever your reasoning is right, you're hungry. I can just buy you a piece of fruit, like the store manager can afford to buy that person and probably the next ten people a piece of fruit and wouldn't affect anything. It wouldn't affect anything. They throw that food away, right, And there's and there's there's accountability for loss in retail as well. Right, they kind of understand that most retailers going away from even having people that registers and letting everyone's self check out, they're taken into account that some of those people are walking out of the store.
Speaker 3: Now, hang on, I don't want to get too far away from the police's role in this, correct, Right, So we all live in the same country, in the same reality.
Speaker 4: For the most same country. Okay, we live in the same country. Yeah, realities. Okay, that's fair, but realities be different. I'm going to be fair in this moment. If something bad, if somebody walks into the studio right now and takes the microphones, what do we do Either watch it happen or call the police.
Speaker 3: That's really what it is. So I'm not mad at the store manager. I mean, I'm from seven miles so we can listen. You better say that California be busy. But you know, you know what I mean, right, you know what I mean, you know, call the police or you know, watch it happen or both, you know. And some people they're not from seven mile and they don't have that in them, and they shouldn't. That's not that's I don't believe that. That is Our nature is human things. We cooperate. We are social creatures. We are programmed to get along with one another, and we are taught to behave in an opposite manner, and we are conditioned by society to behave in an opposite manner and to espouse greed and you know, capitalism once again. Yeah, but police over policing is a problem. So for Joe Biden to say we need to put one hundred thousand more officers on the streets, you know, despite his coded language here police accountability, et cetera, et cetera, what you end up with is everybody showing up trying to do the job right.
Speaker 1: So let me. I'm gonna paint a picture. I'm gonna paint a picture for our listeners.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, I have a house right the outside of my house, I want to paint it yellow. Okay, I call a painter to come and paint the outside of my house yellow. Right, somehow seven painters end up showing up at my house. Right now, they all have to justify being there because I'm the painter. This is a house. I'm here with yellow paint, right, So they all are going to want to.
Speaker 1: Get a piece of it. They're going to get involved to justify their existence. I know there's too many painters, so this is going to be a problem. And guess what.
Speaker 3: Each of them paints a little bit of the house and then it's seven different shades of.
Speaker 1: Yellow, and then my house is ugly.
Speaker 3: Right, So think about that when we talk about over policing, right, And the fact is we know that if you reallocate police resources the right way, in a way that addresses the problems, the source of the problems daycare, you wouldn't make that connection. But sure enough, there's a connection between daycare and how accessible it is and crime rates in certain communities. That is a fact, right.
Speaker 1: Employment, social services, thank you, thank you these things, right, and then you don't even need that many police.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to be pretend like crime isn't always going to be with us because there are bad people. They do exist in all colors, and we perhaps might need some traditional elements of policing to remain, especially in the haves versus have not society fair. But you know where we are with this is we have a government that is detached in terms of their thinking from what is really happening on the streets where Q is getting pulled over for a speeding ticket. And we realize that we not only have too many of these people, we have the wrong the people with the wrong temperament, you know, because of the sake we need to fill the We need one hundred thousand more people. Okay, so what's the qualifications of the one hundred thousand more people? Do you need to get people that get mad when they write a ticket because that's the job that they chose to do, you know what I mean? And then you're gonna give these people guns and have them make life and death decisions and then give them immune from the consequences, and then we're under that boot.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: We need to really recognize the fact that there are two different Americas, one that the government is pandering to to ensure that their base is fortified and that they get re elected and the one that we live in.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you said that, because it's not ignorance, it's that. Yeah, So we have to move on now. So it's time for our way black History fact.
Speaker 3: And fortunately it's kind of in the same vein there.
Speaker 1: So today's way Black History fact comes.
Speaker 3: From or sponsored by Hip Hoplicly magazine. It comes from the NAACP. We like the NAACP around there. Shout out to them for hooking us up with an award. It's somewhere in the studio. I lost it, but shout out to THEAACP for loving what we do here. We love y'all too, all right. The origins of modern day policing, all right, the origins of modern day policing can be traced back to the slave control. That word patrol is something that you should remember. We talked about this show before, but we're going to make this breathe a little bit for you. The earliest formal slave patrol was created in the Carolinas in the early seventeen hundreds with one mission seventeen hundred, with one mission to establish a system of terror and squash slave uprisings, with the capacity to pursue, apprehend and return runaway slaves to their owners. Tactics included the use of excessive force to control and produce desired slave labor. All right, I want to take a moment here before I finished this reading. If you can do me a favor. You're listening intently to Q and I have this conversation. If you're in a position to make a note, I want you to write how to Make a Slave. Write it in your phone, write it somewhere. The author is Willie Lynch. I will say that it is contested the authenticity of that that writing contested, whether or not it was a historical document or not. But the point is that, regardless of whether it was a work of fiction or work of nonfiction, it is a very potent and sobering reminder of the reality of this time in our country. Seventeen hundred people say, and you know, the successive force to control and produce desired slave labor. It'll make sense once you read that again. It's by It's called how to Make a Slave, and the author is Willie Lynch. I want you to look that up. That's your homework, and that's another baba for you for next week. Do that and then we'll actually we should probably include that for another way black history fact.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we'll move on.
Speaker 3: North Carolina slave patrol oath was as follows, I Patroller's name, do swear that I will, as a searcher for guns, swords, and other weapons among slaves in my district, faithfully and as privately as I can, discharge the trust reposed in me, as the law directs, to the best of my power.
Speaker 1: So help me God.
Speaker 3: Slave patrols continued until the end of the Civil War and the passage of the Thirteenth Amendment. Following the Civil War, during reconstruction, slave patrols were replaced by malicious style groups who were empowered to control and deny access to equal rights to freed slaves. They relentlessly and systematically enforced Black codes, strict local and state laws that regulated and restricted access to labor, wages, voting rights, and general freedoms for formerly enslaved people. In eighteen sixty eight, ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment of the US Constitution technically granted equal protections to African Americans, essentially abolishing Black codes, Jim Crow laws, and state and local statutes that legalized racial segregation.
Speaker 1: Swiftly took their place.
Speaker 3: This comes from history dot COM's or its little Slight shift here. Jim Crow laws where a collection of state and local statues that legalized racial segregation, named after a black minis instral show character, the character who wore blackface.
Speaker 1: The laws, which existed for.
Speaker 3: About one hundred years in the post Civil War era until nineteen sixty eight, were meant to marginalize African Americans by denying them the right to vote, full jobs, get an education, or other opportunities. Those who attempted to defy Jim Crow laws often faced arrest, fines, jail sentences, violence, and death. By the nineteen hundred, local municipalities began to establish police departments to enforce local laws in the East and Midwest, including Jim Crow laws. Local municipalities leaned on police to enforce and exert excessive brutality on African Americans who violated any Jim Crow law. Jim Crow laws continued through the end of the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 1: Fast forward to.
Speaker 3: Today, the criminal justice system is heavily impacted by the bias of police mentality and outdated judicial precedents. The system is largely driven by racial disparities and the black community continues to be the target. The results are brutal and long sence ending. The legacy and effects of bias policing are far reaching. The US is home to the world's largest prison population in the highest per capita incarceration rate. As of May twenty twenty, there were six hundred and fifty five people incarcerated per one hundred thousand. Police sorry, prison, parole and probation operations cost US taxpayers eighty one billion were a b dollars per year, and then another fact. In twenty twenty there were one thy twenty one fatal police shootings, and in twenty nineteen there were nine hundred and ninety nine fatal shootings. Additional additionally, the rate of fatal police shootings among Black African Americans was much higher than for any other ethnicity, standing at thirty five fatal shootings per million of the population as of March twenty twenty one. That comes from statistica dot com now.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, go ahead, Willie Lynch. Whether or not it was an official document, what cannot be argued is whether or not it was fiction. It was not fiction. It may not have been an official piece of legal or political literature, but the ideology of Willie Lynch's writing that feel very risk day. Yeah, so that's why I want you to read it. So, yeah, we said you said it wasn't We weren't sure there was factor fiction or if it was fiction or non fiction. It was very very much nonfiction.
Speaker 3: Okay, So now now we're going to have this conversation right here, we have a couple of minutes. Let's do it. I do want you, our listener, to to look this up. You may have heard a bit about it, maybe not. I want you to look it up so you know what we're.
Speaker 1: Talking and reach out to us so we can talk to you about it. Please. We would we would love to jump on camera and jump on a microphone and have that conversation, which even if it's not the show that you're listening to right now, sure we'll make some time for you. Now.
Speaker 3: What the reason I say that is because if you google Willie Lynch Letter or how to Make a Slave, you're going to see a lot of fluff, a lot of things that try to debunk the authenticity of the letter. And I don't want you to be confused by that because again, as you mentioned, whether or not this was actually written by a man, and a man's name was really.
Speaker 1: Lynch, and so forth. The ideology there is very true.
Speaker 3: And when you get a chance to see that this was deliberate and that it works and it was masterful, just like the fluff that's masterfully placed next to the actual document. You know, go to the Wikipedia page. You'll see the document and then you'll see all the rest of the stuff says is not you know, it may not be real. It's the authenticity is debated and so forth to you know, kind of create some confusion around it. But please read it and you'll see what we're talking about here. But for now, because we have to go, just know that this is the origins of policing. This is the way that our government feels about policing, and it's continuing to operate and we are still at the receiving end of a lot of that brutality. So again, just keep that in mind when you cast your boats and as you move forward, you know with your life in this country that we are your countrymen, and we love you, and we love ourselves and we love our children. We want a better world same as you do. And this is perhaps what a better world looks like. For us, So something to keep in mind. But that's going to do it for us here on Civic Soccer once again, I'm your host Rams's job.
Speaker 1: They call me qward most of the time.
Speaker 3: Indeed, show produced by our producer m Miss Maggie aka Maggie B.
Speaker 1: Knowing.
Speaker 3: And before we let you go once again, hit the website Civic Cipher dot com. Submit any questions, any topics you want us to cover. That donation thing that goes a long way.
Speaker 1: Man, your fifty.
Speaker 3: Dollars will make an impact just like Timothy's fifty dollars did.
Speaker 1: So will your one dollar? Ye one dollar have to be fifty.
Speaker 3: I wish I could share all the great stuff coming our way, but the only happens with your support financially and otherwise. And be sure to follow us on social media at Civic Cipher until next week.
Speaker 1: Y'all, please make sure we had.
Speaker 2: To live these brothers a fabulous is our lady showing you where bomb travel live. Woo spi tons from sunlight to move, busting on stage like gonna fights the move, roll my mic back. You're like that jonalist with journalist too. We can strike back all corporate borders with waters from headquarters behind, and the beline sides up and the borders, the press pass.
Speaker 1: We bring it to you as it happens.
Speaker 2: The streets, love popping from music, You're wrapping the street compand to slash, we expando. You're going to fight the slander with the proper propaganda. What's happening, it's not you've got any questions to ask in deduce, It's just a TV show. Get past it. And this from a white wartime journalist headlines We'll go pres and three