Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephanie Flanders, head of Government and Economics at Bloomberg, and this is Trumpnomics, the podcast that looks at everything in the economic world of Donald Trump. This week, tariffs are back, and they look like they're here to stay. We're recording this on Wednesday, the twenty ninth of July. Late last week, the White House imposed tariffs of around ten percent on imports from more than eighty countries, replacing emergency tariffs put in place after the Supreme Court ruled a lot of the previous ones he'd put in place unconstitutional. There've also been in the last week new tariffs on Canada and Brazil, and we have coming down the track, so called Section three oh one investigations now hanging over multiple countries, all of which could result in more import taxes in the next few months. Well, heaven knows. We've talked about tariffs before on this show. In fact, our most listened to episode ever was on that topic. But in a week when the President has reminded us just how much he likes them, I wanted to step back and think about the unintended consequences of those tariffs. For the economy and the federal budget. In a nutshell, many of the positive consequences from tariffs that the President promised on the campaign trail have not really happened, or not in the way he suggested. But you'd have to also say that the biggest negatives that were talked about before they were imposed have not really happened either. So raises the question is President Trump's signature economic policy turning out to be just a fancy way of extracting a few more tax revenues from US consumers, And if so, is anyone really going to want to let that money go? Well, we've brought back the pair of voices actually who featured funnily enough in that super popular Trumpenomics episode, Sean donnand senior writer with Bloomberg who reports on the US and global economy for US. Sure, thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: It's always great to be here.
Speaker 2: And trump andomics regular Also in Washington, Ana Wong, chief US economist at Bloomberg Economics, who's previously worked at the Federal Reserve and served in the Trump White House in twenty nineteen and twenty twenty on to comment at the Council of Economic advisors. Anna always great to get you on. Happy to be here, Sean. There was a lot of talk ahead of these tariffs, and indeed President Trump used to talk a lot about it in his first term, that they were going to bring manufacturing back to the US. We were going to see reshoring and a revitalization of US manufacturing. We were going to see the trade deficit four and some extra revenue for the federal government which was going to be paid for by all those foreign exporters. You had a great story this week focusing on tin cans, no less, and I thought that really painted a picture of how that manufacturing piece had sometimes panned out on the ground. So tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 3: The reason I looked at tin cans was because it's a way of looking at Trump's original tariffs, which were the steel tariffs that he imposed back in March of twenty eighteen and twenty five percent tariff on all imports of steeling. On the day after the announcement went out, as markets were having conneptions, Wilbur Ross went on television and who was then the Commerce secretary, right, and he held up a can of Campbell's soup and said, essentially the tariffs will not affect the cost of this one bit. He had calculated how much steel was in there. He also said that the payoff for these tariffs would be tens of thousands of jobs and hundreds of millions of dollars of investment. So I thought, let's take this tin can and look at it as a case study of how things have actually worked out. Well. The answer is, the price of that tin can has gone up substantially since March of twenty eighteen, when these tariffs were put in place. The cost of canned fruits and vegetables that consumers pay are up almost fifty percent since that day, and the cost of the empty can itself coming off the production line is up eighty percent since March of twenty eighteen. So there's a significant impact on the cost side. One of the reasons for that is that, in fact, one of these promises of the tariffs, which was that there would be more investment in domestic production domestic capacity, hasn't played out at all. On that day that Will Barross went on TV, there were a dozen steel mills in the US that turned out tin plate can makers imported about fifty percent of the steel that they used to make cans, and that was supposed to go down well. In fact, there are now only three steel mills in the United States that make tin plate, and can makers import eighty percent of the steel that they need to make those tin cans. At the same time, we haven't seen the jobs story work out in the same way. There are now roughly thirteen hundred more people working in American steel mills than there were in March of twenty eighteen, so it hasn't been a huge jobs boom even for the broader steel industry, although we have seen investment in other parts. And part of the story here is also about how tariffs don't happen in isolation. They happen in an economy that has lots of different things going on. The reality for the US steel industry is that making tinplate is difficult, it's capital intensive, and it's a tiny part of the US steel market. And therefore, the real question that you hear, and that I heard from economists and people in the industries, why are we putting tariffs on imports of something that the domestic industry does not want to make and does not want to invest in an allocate capital too, And so that to me, is a case study for a lot of these tariffs. You can go down through the supply chain, and I talked to. One of the people I talked to was a tomato farmer in Indiana who's planting fewer tomatoes this summer as a result of the higher cost of cans and as a result also of international competition, because these tariffs don't apply to cans that are already filled with fruits and vegetables that are being imported, and so the domestic competitiveness has been hit by this as well. And so that's the unintended content with this, and then there's this kind of unfulfilled promises thing. And I think that that as really when we think of the kind of political economy of these tariffs. As the big issue that Trump faces if you go back to twenty sixteen, you go back to when he was first running for president and he was first talking about cracking down on trade and first talking about tariffs in all of those campaigns, is that he is promising more factory jobs in the United States, and today there are seventy five thousand fewer people working in American factories than there were when Trump returned to office in January of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting, Sean. I think it makes sense to be focusing on some of the sectors that were affected by the first Trump tariffs, because obviously you could make the argument, and has been made on this program before, that it's quite soon if you want to have the kind of shift that Donald Trump is talking about. But I guess what's interesting from the way you've talked to, particularly with a question of whether or not you could have more US producers of tinplate to replace those imported tin plate for the ten cans seen from the people you talk to that this wasn't just a matter of time and the tariffs being in long enough. They already had quite a lot of protection. They were looking to have even more, and it just didn't seem like it was going to work.
Speaker 3: I think in the Trump presidency it is such a short news cycle that we deal with on every day. There's a lot of noise on every day. But we are now a decade into this experiment, and at least eight years into tariff's actually being in place, we can actually look at what has happened in some of these cases. This is no longer a promise about what's coming in the future.
Speaker 2: There is a record now, So Anna, one of the reasons I wanted to have you on is I know you have a slightly different view of this, just on this piece of whether or not US domestic manufacturing has been affected in the way that Donald Trump talked about manufacturing jobs coming back to the US as support for domestic production, a reduction in the trade deficit. What's happened with those What kind of evidence are you looking at?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, Stephanie, As I was listening to Sean as he was talking about how Trump promises loads of manufacturing jobs, it bade me recall the time when I was conded to the Council of Economic Advisors and I was writing talking points for these senior leaders. And it is indeed true that politicians are very much indexed to the number of jobs. When they go out to give speeches, they want to talk about how many jobs is created. But as an economist who's evaluating the overall impact of a certain policy, we care about all these other variables, including profits, investment, and because jobs comes way later. Only after profits and vestment productivity happen. Would you have jobs? So when we evaluate the success or failure of a policy. You want to look at everything to play the devil's advocate. What I'm seeing in the manufacturing sector is put aside for a second, what is causing this? But the facts are that I think manufacturing has improved over the last years, and the improvement, while it did not result in a surge in jobs, it has basically concentrated a significant increase in output as well as productivity. So when you have output increased but no hiring increase, that means higher labor productivity. So from an economist point of view, not a politician's point of view, increased productivity is a good thing. And so for whatever reason the manufacturing sector has improved in the last year. Now it's just due to tariffs, as Sean's tin care example showed, and also just looking at what sectors are most exposed to tariffs, we see that it is in these China exposed sectors like apparels, textiles, consumer electronics and stuff like that. No, the increased in manufacturing output are not in these sectors. The increased in manufacturing productivity and output are concentrated in durable manufacturing sectors such as computers electronics, not the consumer type, but hardware, high value added stuff, aerospace mining. Also, would I say that this resurgence in manufacturing is due to tariff No, I do not see direct evidence of that. However, there is an improvement in the manufacturing sector for whatever it is happening.
Speaker 2: And I seem to recall Anna some interesting conversations that we have had where you were speculating that the tariffs, you know, for many companies would have just been presented that have felt like a cost increase of one form or another, and maybe something they had to decide whether or not to pass on to consumers, and had been a spur to get more out of workers and to have maybe had that kind of indirect impact on productivity that you've just described.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so when you look at the output manufacturing output, you see that the increase is driven by more hours out of existing workers. So part of that is that my team also looked at earning transcripts in the last couple of quarters and the way that firms are describing how they handle the increased input costs from tariffs. First of all, it's absolutely true that tariffs are raising the input costs of firms. The question is how are firms dealing with that, and so in Sean's tin can case, Campbell's soup decided to surgically raise the price of these soup tincns, right, but they are also cutting prices in some of the other stuff. Because what happened is when they've raised the price on these products where which is catered to lower income people who are very budget conscious, the sales fall and declined and they had to make up for that revenue with something else, but cutting prices and something else. And so that's generally one way of dealing with how do you handle higher input cause second is that they are not simply hiring less people and extracted more out of existing workers. And third, they are rejiggering the supply chain. And we see in the earning calls a lot of firms talk about how they have already put in place different you know, set up on supply chains. In fact, I would say many more than half of that that rejiggering has already happened. Those are all ways to how to increase operational efficiency to deal with input costs, and it makes a.
Speaker 3: Very good point about productivity, increased efficiency and the kind of as an unintended byproduct of tariffs or one of the really fascinating things I discovered when I visited Robert Gatz and the Can Corporation of America is that one of the ways they responded to the original steel traff was by making thinner cans. They now make more cans using roughly the same amount of steel as they did eight years ago, because they have figured out a way to make those cans thinner. Now you know, they insist they're not flimsier.
Speaker 2: But the result in us opening our cupboards in a few years time in discovering, oh, yes, those are the post twenty twenty five cans, but there's no evidence of that so far. I listened to you, Sean, and I do worry a bit that your family are now also very well informed about in cans. You have invested a very an impressive amount of time and actually what turns out to be a rather interesting industry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I my children are regularly bored at the turntable.
Speaker 2: But we haven't mentioned the big other positive that the administration did talk about going into this, particularly the Treasury Sectuary, that it would bring great increase in revenues for the federal government, and there was even talk of a tariff dividend for voters courtesy of Donald Trump and what's happened there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so here heroes done numbers. So last year, the tariff revenues was roughly around two hundred billion, depending on whether you look at calendar year fiscal year, but I would say around the two hundred billion mark. Before the liberation day it was around eighty billion. And now after the AIBA ruling, so far the administration had to refund eighty billion of those roughly two hundred billion collective.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. They have done they have done the refuc.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they definitely have done the refund. We have a lot of evidence around there that so eighty billion is the ones that's already refunded. The total possible amount that's needed to be refunded is around one hundred and sixty six billion because out of the collected, one hundred and sixty six billion was due to AEPA. I think what that shows is that the terraff last year indeed was quite an important source of fiscal revenues. When you look at the ten year budget period for CBO that is a post the terraff revenues based on AEPA and all the other terror policies was supposed to generate roughly three point three trillion in revenues over ten years, and that's roughly how much the One Big Beautiful Bill cost. So now that we have the ABA ruling, and even taking into account the interim policies to fill the gap, such as using the one twenty two and last week the three oh one and three three eight, I think what we are looking at is a reduced FRISCO revenue estimate of roughly more like around two trillion as opposed to three trillion over ten years, and the yearly this year as opposed to three hundred billion, it's looking more likely to be two hundred billion. So when we enter this year, CBO has estimated the fiscal deficit should be would be around five point eight percent of GDP. This year it's one point nine trillion physical deficit. Now it's looking more likely to be six percent of GDP. For all these reasons, there are other reasons, including higher treasury rates. You know CBO expected average ten year treasury yields to be four point one this year, Well it's averaged four point five percent, and I think part of that is I think Wall Street do look at these tariff revenues numbers, I mean fixed income traders, and if it's looking like there's more uncertainty around the collection of these revenues, I think people will get more bearish in the treasury rates market.
Speaker 3: Can I just make two quick points on the income the kind of fiscal effect side of things. One is the refunds they're not done with. In fact, in June there was a net outflow of from the Treasury when it came to customs duties. The number listed on the monthly Treasury report was minus twenty five point five billion dollars, and we're likely to see several more months like that this year because, as Anna says, they've refunded about eighty billion dollars, there's another eighty billion dollars that they need to refund because the courts are really holding their feet to the fire on this. There's that short term fiscal piece. Is a lot of that two hundred billion dollars that they raised last year that they're sending back to people this year. The second point is that the kind of durability of tariffs, and I think that's something we need to think more. The Yell budget lab estimates it's one point nine trillion dollars over the next ten years based on the current state of tariffs that you would get in revenues. But they make the point also that that does not account for slower growth that you get as a result of tariffs. The other point is that there are more legal challenges coming The tariffs that were announced last week were very quickly challenged by another group of small businesses. There's a guy called Alan Wolf who's one of the kind of eminos degrees of the trade bar here in Washington, actually helped write the nineteen seventy four trade law, who says that the use of that law, in the section three oh one of that law that the Trump administration rolled out last week is completely against the spirit of the law and likely open to legal challenge. There are going to be more legal challenges coming up, so the question is, okay, are these going to withstand further court challenges? And I've heard this from Scott Besson himself making the point that well, if the tariffs really work, we should see diminishing revenues from them over time, because if you are real, if you are reshoring manufacturing, then you're going to get less tariff revenue and you're going to get more business tax revenues, and is the kind of is the hope. So the idea of tariffs as this kind of fiscal wonder tool going into the future, I think there's a lot of caveats on.
Speaker 2: You know, we focused a lot on whether or not the good stuff that was promised has happened, and we had a debay to bend the manufacturing. It seems very unclear that the tariffs have really engineered a revival by themselves of domestic manufacturing. Maybe that's an unreasonable expectation. There was a big surprise in that other countries didn't retaliate to the tariffs the US imposed tariffs, and that has fundamentally changed, certainly the impact on the global economy. And we haven't seen tariffs meaningfully increase US inflation, even though a lot of consumers sort of link them tariffs to the high costs in their minds. So I guess it's fair to say, Anna, although we haven't seen all the positive consequences, some of the things that the critics focused most on before President Trump's Liberation Day have not really panned out either. One thing that I guess was predictable but is very evident is these are super unpopular, these tariffs, and people do associate the tariffs with higher costs, even if the numbers don't quite back it up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, but everything is unpopular. Cutting back fiscal deficits also unpopular. Doge was unpopular. The question is, I mean, once the government start spending or people start spending, it's hard to cut back. It's always feels terrible to downgrade. So the question is which one is relatively easier or less painful. And it's clear that the Trump administration has decided that forcing, you know, tariffs, using tariff policy is the relatively less painful route too, you know, solve a couple problems at the same time.
Speaker 2: And certainly raise a few hundred billion dollars. I mean, Sean, I take your point about the uncertainty, but as things stand, you have an increase in taxes that certainly many Democrats didn't think was possible, an increase in Texas that was very much focused on consumers. It seems like so even if they're very against them, seems quite unlikely they get the rush to remove them.
Speaker 3: Let's wait and see. But right now, in these midterm elections, Democrats are pointing to tariffs as a vulnerability for the president. They think they can make political hay with it. But I think it fits with a broader a broader sentiment, and that is that the economic policies that President Trump has rolled out in the past eighteen months have not delivered what he promised. And I think that is whether it's terrace, when it's immigration policy, whether it's the broader issue of bringing down prices. The feeling is that President Trump has injected and this comes up in poll after poll after poll in which he rates very low on the economy, his management of the economy. But the feeling is that President Trump has injected new love of chaos into the US economy and that voters are feeling the effects of that in multiple ways, or at least associating what they're feeling with that. And that is the kind of big political question. And the longer term political question around tariffs is how politically unpopular they will prove to be years from now. I mean that the history of the United States before World War Two, and the history of economic policy debates in the US was often around tariffs, and it was this fight between consumers and producers over tariffs and protectionism, and you had this go in political cycles where they were popular and a government would be elected and introduced tariffs, and then they were unpopular as soon as consumers started to pay for them, and that government would be voted out. And you know, maybe we will see that cycle return.
Speaker 2: Well, there are lots of things that are unique about Donald Trump. I think the idea that the voter's perception that he has not delivered on his promises is not unique to him as a politician. I'm afraid it's something that we're seeing quite a lot of. But I'm sure you're right, Sean, that the Democrats have feel they have a strong stick to beat the administration within the form of tariff. So I just hope that you and all these other reporters we have in DC will also be asking those Democrats what they would do instead. Thank you very much, Sean Donn and Anna Wong. A discussion to be continued, no doubt, but thanks for joining.
Speaker 1: This week, Thanks for having us, Thank you, thanks.
Speaker 2: For listening to trump Andomics from Bloomberg. It was hosted by me Stephanie Flanders. I was joined by Anna Wong and Sean Donald Trump Andnomics is produced by Moses and Am and Samasadi with help from Amy Keen and this Rachel Nvis Christie. Sound design was by Blake Maples and Kelly Garry