Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbo.
Speaker 2: I'll that for me. I'm a man, I'm for I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy, you want to be happy for dake Ato State?
Speaker 1: Is that whoo whoom? And Dan and Tie welcome back to the Solid Verba Boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrandt. Joinning me as always over there in New York City, My man Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how are you?
Speaker 2: I am so excited to go to the lone Star State and DC Tye.
Speaker 1: The cat is officially out of the bag now, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I mean if you're on Twitter or Facebook, Instagram, but not the show. So perhaps there are people listening in Texas who heard us talk about the fact that we are going to Big twelve Country where barbecue is prevalent. That's didn't name the place because we ourselves were trying to zero in and confirm a place between a couple of different options. But we are locked in on the first ever double Fantasy things. I don't know if it's rounds. I just know we're going to have a huge bank of options to select, and we have individual items and plans for each show. So this is huge Let's.
Speaker 1: Not get ahead of ourselves here. We have not figured out yet how we're doing this. Let's promise things that we'll have to know. We're not promising anything. We're doing two shows, one in Texas, which will officially be now on August the seventeenth at the Alamo Draft House in Dallas, Texas, or just outside of Dallas, Texas. We will be sending out our newsletter shortly, literally, as soon as I get the ticketing link, I'm going to throw it in my newsletter. It could be during the show, I don't know. I'm going to throw it in the newsletter and I'm going to send it out. Because there seems to be a ton of interest. We want to make sure that people have ample time to make plans to get to Dallas again. That is going to be Saturday night, August to seventeenth in Dallas, Texas. So that show is happening in addition to the show that we're also doing that you already know about. On August the eighteenth, we're gonna hop in the bird. We're gonna fly back across the country to the nation's capital August the eighteenth, Sunday night, that one taking place at Union stage. You can buy tickets right now at solid verbal tickets dot com slash DC, Solidverble tickets dot com slash DC tickets still available but starting to pick up.
Speaker 2: Oh we sold did we sell the most tickets we've sold on the first day?
Speaker 1: Yes, we have for DC both so both shows are going to sell out. So if you want to get in now would be the time to do it. Obviously, as soon as the Texas Show goes live, hit that button, buy the ticks, and you know, reserve your spot. We're excited.
Speaker 2: We are excited, and we are having how many members of the cabinet and the DC SW I.
Speaker 1: Believe we're going to announce our joint ticket for the twenty twenty presidential candidacy.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I'm I mean if we're going promised stuff, what the heck, let's go nuts. What is the cabinet position that does the least work? Because Dibbs, that's what suits me.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll have to think about that one or maybe some ud.
Speaker 2: Can I can I pencil my name in for Hud?
Speaker 1: I mean it seems like an important position, Dan, I know, but I don't know, a lot of them seem important.
Speaker 2: So we have DC, we have Texas, we have screens. We are I love this word because it's the like the douchiest corporate word. We're efforting to make it a big, multi mixed media extravaganza. I believe you.
Speaker 1: Said in one of your tweets that we were efforting tenders for tie, which was a very weird sequence of words.
Speaker 2: Do approve stand by everything. That means we are going to do everything we can. I think the Alamo Draft House and don't hold us to this now, but I think they already offer chicken tenders.
Speaker 1: I believe they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there will be ten Both of plenty.
Speaker 1: Venues will have food and drink available for my understanding, so it'll be a lot of fun, come hungry, come ready for football, come ready for our weird fantasy draft, which we still don't know. I'm going to emphasize this again, we do not know how we're going to pull this off. Yet we will alast it ideas we will do so we will find a way to make this happen. That's pretty much been our mo now since we started in eight.
Speaker 2: But we've never received an email after the fact. Any of our live shows, like you know What, didn't have a great time. Just thought i'd give you a heads up now all the fund deliver, all the feedback's been good.
Speaker 1: If you haven't gotten out and sign up for the newsletter yet, please do so. Go to soliverble dot com and see the form right there, and as soon as we get tickets, you will get first DIBs on it.
Speaker 2: Yes, other housekeeping quickly, you can go it soliverbal dot com slash store for our twenty nineteen shirts. It is currently we're recording this in early to mid July. I we haven't loved in a week, but I hope it's next week. I don't know what your schedule is looking like to begin our season. Preview episodes, yeah, I just like getting those up so people have a chance to listen to however many they'd like before the season.
Speaker 1: Also still in development, but I believe if memory serves were looking at maybe not next week but the week after, it will start before the end of July.
Speaker 2: So that's something to look forward to. Fantasy things same weekend, different shows, the seventeenth and eighteenth in Dallas and DC respectively. We are giving it all our hour all and we have I think a really interesting and fun show to do tonight.
Speaker 1: This show that we're going to do tonight, which you now know, is titled by the way, there's a thunderstorm in the background here.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sorry to hear it.
Speaker 1: Mother Natures feeling this show too. This show titled Wish upon a season is something that we came up with while I was in the car talking to you yesterday on the way home from the This Year You Stay job. And the way that this idea came about.
Speaker 2: Twenty four plus hours preparation for an off season show that's correct, which is like a new record for us good.
Speaker 1: I said, we should do a make a wish kind of show where we can talk as fans. We can invite others as fans out who listen out on social media to tell us what is your wish for the coming season? Problematic title, So we shifted it a little problematic title exactly our words, exactly like maybe we should have the title it's something else. Okay, we don't want to cross the streams too much. So then I said to you, is there some way we can like spin off Aladdin? You know you of course in Aladdin you only had the three wishes. But in Aladdin there was that whole wish component with the genie and the bottle, and then the light went off in your head. This happens a lot. The light goes off in your head and immediately you go to gosh, there have been a lot of movies that have the plot of a wish coming true.
Speaker 2: Wish fulfillment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you found there's a whole Wikipedia page about movies that feature wish fulfillment.
Speaker 2: This is true. This is one hundred percent true, and I particularly enjoyed the timing of this. We have some sort of service that tells us when people leave reviews on iTunes or some somewhere that they leave reviews on the show, and the reviews are generally good because you guys seem to enjoy the show, which is great. But somebody was like, really good college football talk. I don't like it when they talk about movies and TV four stars.
Speaker 1: She'll proven otherwise.
Speaker 2: Four out of five until they get things fixed. So if we can welcome to a show centered around Big seventeen again, Aladdin, Freaky Friday, Liar, Liar, and Ted. Yes, we know there are more movies about wish fulfillment, but this is what we have in front of us.
Speaker 1: I almost drove off the road going through these. Lord knows there are a million we could have included Kazam.
Speaker 2: We could yeah, we could have. We could have It's a wonderful.
Speaker 1: Life where they're peeing on the fountain. We didn't a wonderful like all these things, we had to pick ones that we thought were fitting here. So Danie, would you like to get us started?
Speaker 2: I would Let's start with Big. I think it's Josh Baskin was the name of the lead character who wanted to be Big. So essentially the plot of Big is he wants to grow up and reap the benefits that come with being an adult, a big boy, and so he does and goes through all of those things, positive and negative, before spoiler becoming a kid once again when he refines, Zoltar your choices, or you can come up with something else. TI for the kids or the people who are not fully grown up and not fully big boys, who we sort of wish are Nebraska, Kansas, Tennessee, UCLA, Arkansas.
Speaker 1: Can we establish some ground rules first and.
Speaker 2: Foremce I'm ready, I'm ready not allowed.
Speaker 1: To use Jalen Hurts. Justin fields, we'll say tu or Trevor Lawrence in an answer and any of these answers correct, that's the low hanging fruit that you could use for almost.
Speaker 2: Well, just we've said their names already so many times since January.
Speaker 1: I'm just they've gotten to the coach as condiment level. Yeah, you know what coach would you go on a road trip? They're they're kind of in that mold now, which.
Speaker 2: Which Mountain West Coast coach is most and least like Ross from Friends Season four exactly? Yeah, okay, So your choice is Nebraska, Kansas, Tennessee, UCLA, Arkansas or somebody else in terms of who do you want to see grow up and get to that stage of oh wow, they are they are suddenly ready to beat anybody.
Speaker 1: I think the answer for me is Nebraska.
Speaker 2: This is for the twenty nineteen season, let's be specific. There has been so much hype.
Speaker 1: I know it's probably the easiest answer of the ones on here, But Arkansas getting better doesn't move the needle for me, because I'm sorry to say they're still in the SEC West. Doesn't change a whole lot. Ucla getting better would be interesting, it'd be interesting, but there's still ways to go. Tennessee Tennessee is up there because I like what I saw. They had a lot of fight last season. Kansas Kansas would just be interesting because they've got Less Miles's coach, and again they're so far down. How far up could they really go? Nebraska, though Nebraska is sort of being talked about as like a dark horse Big ten West contender, it might be too early and if they if it happens, it's not because of Adrian Martinez in the offense that everyone knows Scott Frost is bringing to Lincoln. It's because their defense holds up. So I would like to see Nebraska be the answer to this question. That is my wish, my big wish, if you will, for Nebraska to get it done where accounts on defense and truly grow up and become that program that so many Huskers fans are hoping for now that Scott Frost has finally come back home.
Speaker 2: See. I want Tennessee. I want the SEC East to not be a Georgia assumption. I want everything that comes along with the mayhem that is Tennessee fandom a lot, but not all of all fans. I want that sort of week in week out you have the Florida rivalry you have, I mean Vandy, Kentucky, Georgia, South Carolina, you have all of these coaches and storylines. If Tennessee and you have always are gonna have Alabama Cross Division. If Tennessee is suddenly a ten plus win team in twenty nineteen, I think this season becomes so much more interesting. Not to say that the Big ten West couldn't use Nebraska being becoming more complete. Listen, Kansas is running roughshot through the Big twelve. It's not a likelihood question, it's what just we wish, what we want. I don't know even if Kansas goes seven and five, that means they're taken down three four pig twelve teams. Which cool. Great Les Miles is on a bigger stage. UCLA fine Arkansas, Fine Tennessee is my answer. Tennessee becoming a big boy this year and dancing on the piano, what is it heart and soul in Big Ye with Robert Loja? Is it Robert Loja? I believe it is? That to me is everything Jeremy Pruitt and Robert Loja on the piano at FAO Schwartz. Yeah, I think it is. Yeah, it is. That's all I want the proverbial heart and soul of Jeremy Pruitt and Robert Loja doing just big SEC things. May he rest in peace, Robert Loja.
Speaker 1: I also have the Zultar sound here by the way. I don't know if you can hear it, but oh, I like for some reason, Zoltar's on the soundboard, So what the heck, let's just play it.
Speaker 2: Like, do you think the Big Ten is more interesting with Nebraska a grown up? I think it's fine. I think Tennessee throwing a wrench into the SEC is a lot cooler now.
Speaker 1: I well, for sure, but the SEC's already loaded. The problem that we've had for years now with the Big Ten is that it feels like the East is loaded and there's not enough balance on the western side. I was always going to be respectable. They're just Northwestern Division, sir, But for a long time it's been Wisconsin or bust. If you can have another school rise up on that western side of the conference, I think it makes it more interesting and more balanced. So I'm all in on Nebraska for this one. The second one we've got in front of us here, yeah, is the movie seventeen. Again. This is from two thousand and nine. Okay, let me read Let me just read this. These opening two sentences that described this movie.
Speaker 2: I will go to war for seventeen again.
Speaker 1: Mike O'Donnell is ungrateful for how his life turned out. Matthew Perry, he gets a chance to rewrite his life when he tried to save a janitor near a bridge and jumped after him into a time vortex.
Speaker 2: Dan, Yeah, I believe that janitor is Bill Murray's brother. It is that guy, Yeah, Rian Doyle Murray, it is. And isn't zac Efron in that too? Isn't zach Efron in it? Yes, it's a zach Efron vehicle, Zach Geffron. Matthew Perry, Leslie Mann.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, of course in that as well. Yeah, So what are we talking about here. We're talking about going back to when life was simpler, h when you could live life with the right priorities. Easier day, easier day and age, Dan, eas.
Speaker 2: Your day and age. And so you're talking about an adult going back. And I believe the character was a basketball player, so going back with what he now knows about playing high school basketball and playing it once again. So my question to you, if we are going to make a wish for a seventeen against situation in the twenty nineteen season. I'm going to grant us the ability to bring back, as they stand today, an Oregon and Notre Dame player. So you can bring any Notre Dame player, like you probably wouldn't want to bring Jimmy Clauston because you're not getting Notre Dame Jimmy Clawson. You're getting whatever team he's on right now. You're not getting Rick Meyer early Seahawks. You're getting Rick Meyer, you know, fifty two year old whatever he is. Apologize if that name is way if that age is way off. So as they stand today, any Notre Dame Oregon former player, and you can pick anybody to come back to their team that is not a Notre Dame or Oregon player.
Speaker 1: All Right, So you're saying we basically get present Jalen Smith if I wanted from the Cowboys back on Notre Dame's roster, this is correct.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you really wanted to, you could go Terry Bradshaw for Louisiana Tech if that is something that appeals to you. I don't think that makes for a good twenty nineteen season. Add on, but you can.
Speaker 1: So like Michigan folks would want to go tom Brady.
Speaker 2: Tom Brady is one of my three answers for non Oregon because he's forty two damn years old and he would just be throwing Remember the Peyton Manning SNL make a wish tie it all together where he's just throwing darts at nine year olds. Yeah, that's what we'd get from TB twelve era, tom Brady throwing it to you know, being protected probably pretty well by a decent Michigan offensive line. And then like Donovan People's jones, would Tom Brady?
Speaker 1: That poses an interesting question. Yeah, would Tennessee fans want to bring back Peyton Manning in his present state?
Speaker 2: Yes, one hundred percent, and I would be in I'd be all for it.
Speaker 1: I would be all for it.
Speaker 2: It'd be a like Game three, him out of football shape deep in the third quarter.
Speaker 1: And baggage with his neck and his spine, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're gonna have to send Guarantano out for two and a half series because all of Peyton Manning is cramping. But even still worth it. I would do that.
Speaker 1: The other one, the other question I have would I know the answer to this would Florida people take Tebo back at this point.
Speaker 2: Current t Bo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's in good shape. He's playing, he's a good shape.
Speaker 2: But he's perfect for the Mullen offense. That's the thing. He knows the Mullen offense. He's in good shape. I mean, baseball shape is different than football shape. And is he an improvement over Felipe Franks with no practice, no camp, no rhythm.
Speaker 1: I still probably Yes. He's an all all, all, all timer for the Gators. I feel like this question this is Great's how old is Tim Tebow? He's prime age, right, he still got it? Yeah, he's still in good shape. This question, to me is more interesting if we could find the one scenario where I mean there are many, but one scenario where a school star has moved on to the NFL maybe is out of football at this point, but is kind of teetering on that line of is he or is he not? An upgrade from what we've got now?
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that spin. You zagged over my zig you know what I mean? I like that you did that.
Speaker 1: Where is that line? Where is that Danny Ettling line? So to speak of?
Speaker 2: I don't think Morgan would take Hellodi Nata, the recently retired. Sure, I think that. So my answer is to Forrest Buckner. That's the easiest, probably. You know, he's an All Pro caliber defensive tackle for the forty nine ers, so and he fits in need that Oregon has. They're fine on the defensive line. They don't have a DeForest Buckner esque type. Who are you taking? I flirted with Kiko Alonso a little bit as well, but who are you taking? Mariota didn't strike me just because it's not a need for the current Oregon team.
Speaker 1: Quentin Nelson's an easy answer. Zach Martin's an easy answer. I'm trying to think of one that isn't as easy. Deshaun Kaiser is an interesting selection. What he is an interesting selection, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Get interesting is doing a lot of work.
Speaker 1: In that sentence, he's got a better arm than Ian book. Okay, And when Deshaun Kaiser left Notre Dame, there was an awful lot of conflict around that quarterback position. You remember the whole Malik's I Air thing, of course, and it's just it was a really tumultuous era for Notre Dame football. I would have to think twice about that.
Speaker 2: One Would you take current Cosson over Ian Book?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Okay, No, what's Klausen doing? I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's third string for somebody, probably, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I would consider Kaiser, but I honestly need to give this one Heiser over Clawson. Yeah, I would do that.
Speaker 2: Sounds like some of you'd say to DELI weirdly, Okay, my other do you have any other non notre dame answers for players that would just wreak absolute havoc?
Speaker 1: I really think the Peyton Manning one's super interesting. Yeah, and I'd like to get some Tennessee fans who I know listen fervently to the show.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not even just it's not even just yes or no current Peyton Manning. It's twenty twenty seven Peyton Manning. It's twenty thirty eight Peyton Manning. Like, how far into the future are you willing to take Peyton Manning? Would they take? Would they take barely throw at the end of his time? Though?
Speaker 1: Right? Oh for sure, I don't think that's gotten. You could show a movie on those passes. Would you take T Martin?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think I would take T Martin over Jeric Warrantano current day in July.
Speaker 1: That could be an interesting one. That could be that line.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have JJ Watt on the Wisconsin defensive line.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine if you are just a poor Northwestern right guard or something and he's like, who am I? What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: And then I would love to put Khalil Mack back on the Buffalo bulls. I would love to put giant, like two hundred and seventy pound wrecking ball in the mac mac in the back and the mac. I think that would be just a wonderful, wonderful explosion of fear and regret.
Speaker 1: All Right. The next one we've got here actually harkens back to what started this whole madness. Yeah, and that's Aladdin. So remember in the Aladdin movie, and we're talking the original Aladdin. Can we just get this out there, the animated version that we all know and love from our childhood. Aladd got three wishes. And this was another thing we did in the car. We wanted to be accurate and make sure that we got the three wishes. He actually got four wishes because he technicality, he was a smooth talker. He actually got four wishes, but his three official wishes he got out of the cave for free. He got out of the cave for free. But then with his actual wishes, he wished to be a prince.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then there was the wish to basically escape death when he was drowning bottom of the ocean, which I think the genie sort of assumed, right, He kind of shook his head, but he counted it. And then the third was to set the genie free, very emotional self at the end. So in a college football sense, I think we translated this to wish number one, who in college football becomes a blue blood or on the player's side, who becomes an All American? So from nothing becomes something? Yes, do you have an answer for this one?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The Kansas Jayhawks. I want less miles in every single on every single TV screen. I want Kansas opening things. The thing I love the Big twelve is how wide open it seems to be. Even though Oklahoma wins it every year, on any given Saturday, it feels like things can get weird. Texas barely beats Baylor, Kansas State, and you have shootouts here or shootouts there, and in Kansas throwing that wrench with less miles, I don't believe it. I don't buy in, But that to me is the if anybody could wish to be a prince. That to me is Kansas finally getting out of this muck.
Speaker 1: For me, it's Brandon Wimbush becoming an All American.
Speaker 2: Oh that's very nice and very much in the vein of a Laddin selflessness.
Speaker 1: There was an injury at UCF. Brandon Wimbush is now clearly the guy at Central Florida. By all accounts, he carried himself extremely well at Notre Dame, even though he could see the riding on the wall, knew which direction things were going, found an escape patch, was able to head on over to UCF. I think Wimbush is my answer here.
Speaker 2: The second wish, By the way, I don't even hate somebody else associated with UCF getting magic excellence dust physically. Mackenzie Milton, sure, oh yeah, if we're talking about a genie situation, let's heal that leg up. Yeah and see the end of Mackenzie Milton's career that I would probably take over Wimbush, but I appreciate your selection.
Speaker 1: So the second component, then, the second wish in Aladdin is to escape death, which you could also tie in with a grad transfer, at least I do, and I go Tommy Stevens. Tommy Stevens if he stayed on that Penn State roster, I think is hanging in a bit of limbo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but now it's like a Kelly Bryant. Yeah, how is this going to last? Right?
Speaker 1: I think Tommy Stevens going over to Mississippi State it's really the best situation for him. He gets to play in an offense for a coach that he knows quite well, and he does have an opportunity now in his final season to really make his mark in Mississippi State. So for me, it's Tommy Stevens getting the chance to escape proverbial death.
Speaker 2: I have getting out of a terrible decision. I have the big ten inviting Rutgers. I have the big ten saying let's escape the death of being associated with the current state of affairs. Rutgers is a school, totally fine, have nothing against you. Rutgers has an athletic department and football program. The way it's been sort of running to the ground in a number of ways these past few years. So how do they get probably how do they get rid of them? Do they trade them. They find a loophole in the contract that gets them out after this year or something like that, and they reinvite or they invite the team that should have been there all along. The Lafaelle Leopards tie.
Speaker 1: There's like a weird indemnity clause in their Yeah ten arrangement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are in because this is a movie show. They are the proverbial Santa Claus that falls off the roof and suddenly Lafayette becomes a new Big ten or whoever becomes a new Big ten school after the Quick Lane Bowl I believe it was the Quick Lane Bowl in two thousand fourteen fifteen. Rutgers is four and thirty one in Big ten play.
Speaker 1: It's not great.
Speaker 2: Bob four in thirty one, it's not good. Shout out Jimmy Woke for being Bob in that scenario. So I'm releasing the Big ten in Rutgers from their marriage.
Speaker 1: And then the final of the three wishes is to set someone free. Yes, set somebody free from the chains from the bondage. Yeah, who would you like to unfetter? I am setting the Pac twelve free of their TV deal and network. I am setting them free. I love everybody on the network. I think the people on the network. I think the programming, all of it's good.
Speaker 2: It's a good TV network that just isn't seen by people. I am setting them free so that can move to I think Fox Sports one took over four Speed network. I want to say so, I don't no whoever the PAC twelve can deal with it, take over their cable channel and appear on all satellite and cable and streaming providers. That the presidents are set free from another conference call saying yeah, well they made profits, weren't as good as they could have been, but we're just you know, we're doubling down. That's that's the chains of the PAC twelve TV deal that was made all those years ago. That's who I'm setting free.
Speaker 1: Or Lovey Smith, Love Smith is upre Lovey Smith, love you Smith is up there. I'm setting Clay Helton free.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's a good one.
Speaker 1: I'm setting them free. It's obvious. But look, if he goes eight and four, it's turmoil, not just for him but for the program. Just just get it over with already. We all know what's happening. Everyone likes Clay Hilton. Everyone thinks he's a good guy. That's not the issue. It's winning. He hasn't won enough. Get it over with. Let him move on, Let USC move on as a program and hire whoever they're going to hire next. I just get it over with.
Speaker 2: Sort of mom and dad sleeping in separate bedrooms, snapping at each other over waffles.
Speaker 1: Whatever will be done eventually should be done immediately. I don't know who said that. It wasn't me.
Speaker 2: I think it.
Speaker 1: Get it over with, Yeah, it's it's best for everybody. Unless Graham, Harrold and USC are amazing on offense and they're trapped.
Speaker 2: They could be. It probably is a money thing as well, which I guess could be tied to the divorce analogy. I think they're probably gonna save some money on a buyout by letting him coach out the year.
Speaker 1: All right, next movie, Yeah, Freaky Friday.
Speaker 2: Do you see Freaky Friday?
Speaker 1: I saw Freaky Friday when it ended up on like USA, right or one of the good works? Actually not bad, Okay, not terrible. This is an overworked mother Jamie Lee Curtis and her daughter remake of a movie from the sixties. Remaking the movie this is from. This remake is from two thousand and three. Okay, Jamie Lee Curtis, an overworked mother and her daughter Lindsay Lohan, do not get along. When they switch bodies, each is forced to adapt to the other's life. For one Freaky Friday, dan Oh okay, starring Lindsay Rohan, Jamie Lee Curtis, Mark Harmon early Mark Harmon in this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is pre ncis. Mark Harmon was a quarterback at UCLA, So it's all tied together.
Speaker 1: Now, what does this translate to in a college football world?
Speaker 2: So I have two different answers for you. I have Saturday morning, the Saturday morning of and I'm looking up the exact date, so I think LSU Alabama November ninth, Nick Saban and Les Miles Freaky Friday brains less. Miles wakes up, you know, wearing whatever pajamas Nick Saban wears, and the same for Nick Saban in what I I'll look at the Kansas schedule now. But Nick Saban for a Saturday is the Kansas coach and is very confused as to everything happening in front of him, and why he looks like he does, why his hair is suddenly so much darker, and what he's supposed to do with this Kansas team.
Speaker 1: See so Nick Saban? Nick Saban is the easy target here.
Speaker 2: Sure, but where would you put him? That's the difficult thing.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly you could put him. You could switch him in Dabbo and it'd be interesting. Nobody would switch him in Lane Kiffen. That'd be interesting. He needs to get into another body, into another mind and have some fun. Man lighten up a little bit.
Speaker 2: So were you? How? How is he having more fun?
Speaker 1: He's turned into Lane Kiffen for a day?
Speaker 2: Is that fun for him?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: He's just fau is just gonna be awesome for a day.
Speaker 1: People will treat him differently because I think he's.
Speaker 2: My second one is. I've always loved reward people that don't necessarily get the glory that I feel like have earned the glory. In college football, I am swapping out Kellen Mond Okay, totally good quarterback for Texas A and M and the best punter in college football. I kept it on the same team Braiden Man, Whin's the ray guy. Last year. I'm making Braiden Mann the quarterback of the Texas A and M fight Naggies. I'm giving him his moment in the sun. He's already left nothing to prove kicking the ball, right, he was the best kicker in the country, best punter in the country last year, So I say, let him prove something else. But I'm putting him at quarterback to give him that glory.
Speaker 1: Quarterback is such a cerebral position. If you're switching, what are you thinking about, Braidon Man? If you switch college football brains, don't you think that puts him in a very difficult situation. He's not going to know the offense.
Speaker 2: This is more for me, let me be okay, this is more for I'm giving him the opportunity. He's going to be very confused. Callen Mand's gonna look. The punting's going to be bad, the throwing's gonna be bad. But I feel good about Brandon Man getting to experience some lining up behind center in a non kicking way. I'm for it. I want to give him that moment.
Speaker 1: This next one is the best one. Okay, there's so much. Actually the last one might be the best one, but this this next one, it's good. Liar Liar, Yeah, Liar liar. With Jim Carrey. This movie was from back in nineteen ninety seven if you want to feel old Jesus for twenty two years old.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Jim Carrey is a fast track lawyer who can't lie for twenty four hours due to his son's birthday wish. After he disappoints his son for the last time.
Speaker 2: Who plays his son? Is it Alex d Lenz?
Speaker 1: It is justin Cooper?
Speaker 2: Ah, so close? Okay.
Speaker 1: This is a classic movie featuring Jim carry.
Speaker 2: An uncomfortable Jennifer Kelly scene for sure.
Speaker 1: Yep. Mm hmmm, mm hmmm. A couple of different ways that you can go with this, mm hmm. I think putting the most politically correct, cheery coach in a situation where he has to just spill his guts is a very interesting But who is that?
Speaker 2: I don't know who is the person who is the coach? Because that gave us a lot of thought. Who is the coach?
Speaker 1: Who're like, Wow, if he were only honest, if he were only he couldn't be a bs R and really gave everybody what's on his mind. I think, maybe wrongfully so, a lot of fans believe that Dabo Sweeney is that guy that he's full of that he's full.
Speaker 2: Of bs LL. Yes, full Okay, malooney.
Speaker 1: Now, Dabo's had a couple moments here and there where people have gone off on things that he said for one reason or another. Right, But he's an interesting answer here. I don't know if he is the answer. Who is the most politically correct, buttoned up, corporate speaking coach in college football?
Speaker 2: I don't have a I don't have a coach answer, but I have somebody that fit everything you just said up until the word coach, like the corporate, buttoned up like where you'd really like to know what they're thinking. Whoever it is that is representing the college football Playoff Committee. On that Tuesday night ESPN show, We're like, listen, we didn't. We mostly watched King of Queens. We runs when we met mostly then we argued about you know, pineapple on pizza and then yeah, then Kirby Hoka was like, come on, just let people eat what they want. And then we just said, screw it. Michigan's in that's what I want.
Speaker 1: Bill Hancock, Yeah, could it be Bill, Grandpa Bill?
Speaker 2: He may be too wired to be lied.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was good, Thank you, I would say. Kirk Herbstreet during Herby games on Saturday night Herbie's on my list, I'd say Paul finebaumb I was gonna go Gary Danielson, but very much in the same Paul Finebaum thing.
Speaker 2: I think we're getting pretty open GD when he was talking about Florida paying players that show up on Saturdays, he is not against really speaking his mind. He might not like it, but I think he goes for it.
Speaker 1: The announcer angle is very interesting. Yeah, like I wouldn't want to throw our friend Adam Amen under the bus here, but really, any broadcaster who is in those pregame meetings getting to know coaches and players, undoubtedly hearing some dirt about both sides, it puts them in a very difficult situation, being so they're doing all the talking on the broadcast.
Speaker 2: I think a good coach answer might be Harbaugh.
Speaker 1: He goes out of his way to say so little yeah, and he's so obviously a very good coach and really strong football mind that if all of a sudden he said screw it, and it was like, all right, we're gonna pick on this defensive end.
Speaker 2: Their linebackers are garbage. I don't trust our passing aim to do much, so we're gonna run the ball a lot. You're gonna be upset about it, but trust us, you don't want John o'corn throwing at thirty tats am. I right. That to me, I think would be a refreshing liar liar situation. I don't, I don't, and this is going to be clear. I don't think Jim Harba is a liar.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I just think he should be forced into really opening up about what he sees and how he feels.
Speaker 1: To two other interesting answers on the coach side, Yeah, another guy perceived by many to be a BS artist is James Franklin. Could be interesting. To put him in his sad.
Speaker 2: I think he'd be an entertaining I mean he already is I think somewhat entertaining harryns is. But yeah, I think there's there would be something refreshing.
Speaker 1: There's there's some rationale to make the answer. The other one I'd say is Gus mels On because it's just I feel like there's a lot of repressed anger in there, and he's usually pretty buttoned up when he's at the podium.
Speaker 2: Now you can see there there are veins in his temple that are doing a lot of work as he tries to juggle everything at Auburn. I think that's good.
Speaker 1: The final one here is Ted. Mm hmm, Ted. Did you like the movie Ted?
Speaker 2: I don't I remember it. I thought it was fine, don't I don't remember specifics. I had to look up how the Teddy Bear came to pass as being alive.
Speaker 1: John Bennett, a man whose childhood wish of bringing his Teddy Bear to life came true, now must decide between keeping the relationship with the bear or with his girlfriend Laurie. M hm. Of course, Mark Wahlberg is John Bennett. Meelakunis is Laurie. Okay. A lot of star power in this movie, by the way, Seth MacFarlane and Joel McHale, Giovanni RABISI sure boiler Room's own Patrick Stewart's there, I think, mm hmm. Within a college football sense, we translated this to which costumed mascot comes to life and is allowed to play for a team. Now, the other stipulation is we're not talking about a live animal.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: We're not talking about Ralphie, right, and we're not talking about the leprechan from Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm the mountaineer, right.
Speaker 1: We're talking about obviously there's a human in there dressed up as a something. Take your word for it, right, So Sparty mm hmm, the Spartan would be a good example. Could pick him to come to life and play.
Speaker 2: Joe bruin Albert Alberta the Gator.
Speaker 1: We had an epiphany on g chat earlier.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. We both said the Toledo Rocket too pronged. Yes, both for so I'm approaching this in a two pronged fashion of both who would make a pretty good impact football wise and who would just be super entertaining. We miss NCAA football so much on the PlayStation or Xbox whatever, and there was that mascot mode and so from an entertainment so you also have the akron zips Anger out there. Big Al would be pretty easy to tackle with the trunk. The trunk would be a legal tackling device, I believe, yes, but it would be entertaining. How far down can we dip level wise? Because I don't believe it's an official mascot, but I could be mistaken. But Dartmouth has Keggy the Keg, a giant keg. That would be I'd be in favor of that. But you want you want a big head. It's hard for me to go away from Auto the Orange Otto.
Speaker 1: The Orange is a classic, yeah, classic.
Speaker 2: Load to the ground, center of gravity.
Speaker 1: Bucky Badger is interesting to me, skinny skinny, But on the field, these tenations, So who are.
Speaker 2: The actual best if we're not talking about entertainment wise.
Speaker 1: Probably Sparty, Probably the Spartan Sparty, the spart Well.
Speaker 2: You have certain mascots that are dressed in full football gear but have the head Kansas State TCU. I think Buster Bronco at Boise State. Yeah, I don't remember if the other Buster Bronco at Western Michigan was in full football pads or gear or jerseys or anything like that. But I would love to play with the old high eyes. You remember that Buster Bronco the Western Michigan with the like, hey, what are we doing now? I think that's a good option.
Speaker 1: You could go Nitney lyon, but I don't think I want to do.
Speaker 2: That doesn't do much for me.
Speaker 1: The Demon Deacon is very strong, jaw line old. Oh no, he's a little older. Purdue Pete not bad, a blue collar, blue collar.
Speaker 2: Party Perdue Pete in the same same philum what about Oscary not bad? We're in a cardigan. So I'm not I'm not crazy about the the buy in, but I'm still pretty interested in him.
Speaker 1: Otto is a good answer.
Speaker 2: I think Otto is my Otto is my guy.
Speaker 1: Probably very good as a center.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, a lot of positions, defensive tackle. Yeah, it's pad level. Hi, it's pad level.
Speaker 1: Before we go any further, don how often do you think about your socks every morning?
Speaker 2: Every morning?
Speaker 1: If you're like me, not all that much. You didn't used to anyway, but upon discovering Bomba socks many moons ago, it's sort of changed the way I, the way you, the way many people think about their socks. So we've got Bombas. Bombas has been kind enough to send us drawers filled with socks. Oh maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit, but we've got plenty of Bombus in our drawers, and it ultimately has become something that we like to wear, whether we're at the gym or just walking around town. I wear them to the Mysterious day job. I'm not gonna lie. M hm. I'm not ashamed of it. I'll admit it. I've gotten them as gifts for people. They see the bombas design, they feel the bombas comfort. They love every second of it. They are the most comfortable socks in the history of feet. They're made from extremely super soft natural cotton. Every pair comes with arch support, a seamless toe, a cushioned footbed that's comfy but not too thick, all sorts of colors, patterns, lengths, styles, you name it. Bombas they look good, whatever the occasion. Best of all, for every Bombas purchase you make, Bombas is going to donate a pair to someone in need. If you're interested, If you haven't already gotten on the bandwagon, go to bom bas dot com slash solid today and you're gonna get twenty percent off your very first purchase. That's Bombas dot com slash Solid. You'll get twenty percent off final time Bombas dot com slash Solid. Check them on out.
Speaker 2: I haven't lost a single pair of my Bombas socks to elasticity issues.
Speaker 1: I haven't so many of them.
Speaker 2: They have held up one hundred percent. And if that's not an endorsement for a sock or two, I don't know what is. They are. They are iron men and women my socks.
Speaker 1: So we did send a call out very quickly. We'll go through these before we get to I don't know a handful of some spillover questions from our Q and A. We put a call out what other people wished for for bowlers. We've got a couple here. I'll read through these very quickly. Alabama or Clemson to miss the college football playoff and or title game.
Speaker 2: The overwhelming biggest response, people are sick of Alabama Clemson. At least that respond to our tweets. Playoff expansion. I never wish punt return touchdowns and block field goals.
Speaker 1: Those are always fun.
Speaker 2: That's a great answer.
Speaker 1: Another good answer our friend Bill Connolly, newly minted as an ESPN employee on playoff game telecasts for Football Championship Subdivision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 1: I'm on there some FCS playoff broadcast.
Speaker 2: People will be very confused.
Speaker 1: An undefeated UCF that'd be great. Every conference champion is undefeated, forcing the committee to rank conferences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not as intriguing as we'd like to think, because they'll just take what they think are the best teams. After watching King of Queen's reruns.
Speaker 1: Army beating Michigan. That's tasty.
Speaker 2: That is ann arbor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the SEC getting shut out of the college football.
Speaker 2: Playoff, Yeah, hold your breath, and.
Speaker 1: Then finally snow and monsoon and wind games.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course. Yes. How do you feel about the first answer? Like? What is yours? And I'm sure it'll evolve as we get closer to the season and as we you know, travel through the season. But is there an Alabama Clemson exhaustion for you? Is it because both of their quarterbacks are returning and are known, known excellent commodities. Is there something that you like about the you know, they're on a path to each other, that's what it feels like, the inevitability or are you ready for the sort of page to flip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a little bit of exhaustion, But for me, it's got more to do with Bama than it does with Clemson. Okay, a personality of these two programs is drastically different. And we've talked about this before, We've been to media days before. When Clemson comes out there and answers questions, it just feels very different than when Alabama does. It just feels it's got a different feel to it. Yeah, it starts at the top. It's the way they run the programs. They're both very successful in their own right, just feels to me like Alabama's been doing it for longer. This whole Clemson experiment, still a little bit newer, will eventually get there. With Clemson, two more years of Trevor Lawrence is going to drive that bus pretty quick. Yeah, if I had a pick between the two, I feel more exhaustion with Bama than I do Clemson. That being said, I am not against this what feels like inevitability of them getting together again in the playoff championship game because as it stands now, they probably are the two best teams. You want to reward excellence however you can, so.
Speaker 2: They've played many times in the playoffs. Now they are both recruiting now. I think Clemson has the number one class this season. I mean that will sign in twenty twenty. So far they have the number one class in the country. So talent wise, they are comparable, if not already on the same level. They just put their entire defensive line into the NFL pretty early on in the draft. They you know, as you mentioned about Trevor Lawrence loaded to bear offensively. I am to me they are two of the least interesting things about the twenty nineteen season, not necessarily because I don't appreciate excellence because they're clearly excellent, but because they're pretty known right now, And I just I want to see what other teams look like. I want to see who else is able to come together. And there's very few teams that can claim a talent level on the level of Alabama and Clemson. But I just I want more, more wide open about the sport. And I know people will point to ratings available, you know, when you have known teams at the top. You know, people like dynasties, people like the big rivalry on top. I think other are casual fans, right These are not the people that we are necessarily speaking to right now. And so I feel what you feel. I feel your pain, and I think it'd be great if we had just a fresh you know, maybe one of these teams in the playoff, but we had a fresh three around them. Just I want interesting and new, That's what I always want. I want novel, I want unexpected, I want upsets, I want intrigue. And you can say a lot of great things about both of these programs, So I don't think those words can be can be used to describe them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, one of the things that comes along with doing a podcast, a national college football podcast since two thousand and eight, is the fact that we tend to care about what makes late season interesting, what keeps the largest group of fans interested.
Speaker 2: We're week ten people on this show, and.
Speaker 1: This is the scenario that you define.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are week ten people.
Speaker 1: We got what five minutes left? Yeah, let's do some quick spillover questions that we had from last week. You want to do those? So?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if you are solely interested in listening to movie related college football questions, we're done. It's out. Yeah, you know, we're clear. We have some non college football questions that we couldn't get to last week in our What'll it take?
Speaker 1: Is that what was called yes episode? Yes?
Speaker 2: What's the best and worst thing about each of your neighborhoods slash communities during the summer? For example, my pro is we have a great minor league baseball stadium. Hey shout out Iron Pigs and team that I enjoy going to see. Con is my next door neighbor feels the need to run a piece of power equipment constantly all weekend every weekend.
Speaker 1: That sounds like Mammy H's house. Okay, always a small motor running somewhere up there.
Speaker 2: What do you love about your general area in the summer.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, first off, everyone here is very friendly. But there's one of the locals here in this neighborhood. They've done this thing where they've created their own ice cream truck set up. Really, it's two kids that ride around on a bike and they've got a trailer and they've got a loud bluetooth speaker blaring out music that sounds like an ice cream truck. Yeah, and I never see anyone actually buy it, but they're clearly entrepreneurial.
Speaker 2: And you don't buy it, you don't support them.
Speaker 1: I would like to, I just haven't had the chance to yet. I'm open to it. But they ride around on this homemade ice cream trailer and I just get a kick out of it, So I appreciate the ingenuity. That one, to me, is probably the singular best thing in the community. The worst thing I'm pretty close right now to a retention pond, and sometimes when it rains in the summer we get a lot of bugs coming from that.
Speaker 2: Worst thing about in general where I live and is probably the train going down and trying to take the subway during the summer, you start looking like Patrick Ewing after a minute and a half, what do you look like the end of the third quarter? The best thing is and I don't know where this happens and where this doesn't happen across the country. Maybe it's super common, maybe it's not, but a lot of restaurants in Brooklyn have backyards, and that's great in the summer, especially as it cools down a little of that little bit at night or into like September, A good backyard meal at a restaurant, it's wonderful. That's that's probably my favorite thing.
Speaker 1: All right, what's the best piece of theater you have ever seen? It could be your favorite, but I'm talking about best produced. What think lights, choreography, directors, concepts, sound, overall production, blah blah.
Speaker 2: Blah, right right right. I saw Ragtime when I was like ten years old. It's very good. Yeah, it was excellent. Lion King was also really good.
Speaker 1: I cried during the opening scene of Lion King.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I thought you were going to say something completely like bring into noise, bring in defunk.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, okay. I saw the Lion King.
Speaker 2: You cried, you shed tears I.
Speaker 1: Shed tears actual mountain tiers during the opening scene of Lion King.
Speaker 2: So you are overwhelmed with emotion.
Speaker 1: Overwhelm You got the animals coming down the aisles. They're singing the sun. Yeah, man, I mean you're thinking about your own circle of life. That's right, going up the Pride Rock. That's emotional. Man.
Speaker 2: Apparently the new Lion King not so good. No, not so good. Superstar cast. But they basically did the same exact movie, same exact beats. Everything is the same. They just changed that it's computerized. Yeah, all right. I don't know what to tell you. What is your favorite summer blockbuster of all time?
Speaker 1: Jurassic Park?
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: Actually, no, no Independence Day.
Speaker 2: Independence Days my answer.
Speaker 1: Independence Day's the answer.
Speaker 2: I just you go into a movie knowing it's about an alien invasion. You come out of it with gold Bloom going up to set off a nuclear bomb in space. It's outstanding. I loved Independence Day so much. The Welcome to Earth come on Independence Day is wonderful. Jurassic Park is great. I just rewatched it. The dinosaurs at times hold up really well and at times like, oh that's rough. That vlaser after looks like a balloon a little bit, So Independence Day is getting my vote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ID four baby all the way.
Speaker 2: Final question, which route do you go on a honeymoon or week long vacation exclusively eat out, go shopping at a local supermarket, and cook for yourself a combination of the two of them. Also, what would be the preferred balance between the two. So if you're going on a fully robust vacation, time you ever go to the market to grab food to cook in your hotel room?
Speaker 1: So I'm thinking like a beach vacation. Okay, I got a honeymoon, but a week long beach vacation. Standard is where are you're staying? Paint me a picture staying in like a rental house, let's say, right a wile the beach. Yeah, I think I prefer a seventy to thirty split of going out to eat versus staying in and cooking. Okay, my issue was staying in and cooking. Wire in the rental house is a lot of those weird supermarkets along the beach have poor selection and are overpriced. They're tough to get to. It's just more trouble than it's worth more often than not. But it is fun. It can be fun in your rental home, to cook a nice meal, to have a few drinks, to sit out in the balcony, enjoy the evening. There's a lot of value there. So I think seventy thirty is my split.
Speaker 2: If I'm staying in a hotel, I'm always eating out. I just and especially if it's a big vacation, if it's a honeymoon, if I'm in Rome, I'm just eating out every meal. That's that's what it is. If it is a rental house, beach, lake, mountain, country, whatever, especially if you're saying with other people in the house as well. I love a good even if it's overpriced, even if the selection isn't great. I love a good stock up grocery trip. I love that because, as everybody knows, and this is one of my favorite Trey Kirby life philosophies, anything goes on vacation, and vacation starts in the airport. Tie vacation starts in the airport, and so I love a good grocery stock up. The only thing that's kind of a wild card about cooking yourself and you have that group situation, is you got to put a lot of trust into other people's cooking ability, Like, oh, Mark, these burgers are not seasoned at all, and so that that becomes a bit of a wild card. But more often than not, I love a good stock up home grill. Enjoy yourself. Because here's the other thing. You go to a lot of these areas that are very vacation vacation y and tourist. The types of restaurants that are available nearby generally largely not great. Yeah, it's they're trying to cater to everybody, which means that it tends to be a little bit bland.
Speaker 1: Like a eight page menu. Yeah right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I do like controlling the food element of it. If i'm if I do have like a full kitchen with other people or a grill with other people, yeah, I'll go seventy thirty cooking from it for ourselves.
Speaker 1: All right. So that does it for today. Hope you enjoyed the show one more time. Please sign up for the newsletter. If you don't want to sign up for the newsletter.
Speaker 2: How dare you?
Speaker 1: How dare you? But please do stay tuned for ticket links to the Texas show coming your way August the seventeenth Almo Draft House. A little bit I think north north the east. It's like fifteen minutes from downtown. It's fine downtown Dallas. Yeah, we will be posting that stuff, but i' slee newsletter subscribers get the link. First tickets in DC still available. Dan and I are still working out how we're going to do two shows in two days. Could really go sideways.
Speaker 2: What time is the Dallas show is an eight pm start?
Speaker 1: Dallas show is an eight pm start?
Speaker 2: The which will they be let in? I do not know that thirty? Okay, we don't have that detail, don't have that.
Speaker 1: Yet, but I do know that in DC doors open at six and the show starts at seven thirty.
Speaker 2: Damn yeah, So should we just roll Independence Day on the screen, a featured broadcast, little bit of ID four, little Jurassic Park. I threatened to make something to air on the screen at either show. How do you feel about that? Right now?
Speaker 1: Threaten to make something that I mean that could go a bunch of different directions, Dan, do well?
Speaker 2: Do you remember what I pitched you?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: I'm going to edit together a super cut of every Notre Dame interception err it as people file into the theater.
Speaker 1: I'm open to it because I probably won't have to watch it.
Speaker 2: It'll be enjoyable for everybody in DC and Texas.
Speaker 1: For that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Ty hilden Brand. Please do enjoy the rest of your week. Stay tuned your email into all of our social accounts. If you're interested in buying tickets, Enjoy all of your weekend. We'll catch you all on the flip side. In the meantime, Stay solid, peace,