Speaker 1: Call zone media.
Speaker 2: Did you have a favorite ancient civilization that you were learning about growing up?
Speaker 3: Oh man, so many. I guess I enjoyed like Celtic things because that's like part of the world I'm from.
Speaker 2: I wasn't even that Celtic. I think she was Celtic, like a Celtic warrior queen. Bodicia.
Speaker 3: Bodicea is how people used to say it. Boudica, I think, is more accurate.
Speaker 2: That speed. Like she was someone who had resisted the Roman invasions, right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. Where my dad lives is like where the Romans built their border wall called Hadrian's Wall. And it's just kind of cool to be like, you know, the Romans brought their colonialism to all of Europe and they got here and I can't fucking do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It might've been, it might've been, they got to that part of the world and they were like, it's raining so fucking much. I want to go back to Italy. But, uh, yeah, it was just, it was always interesting to me to think of like, you know, the, the amount of, uh, modern world that's still impacted by Roman colonization and then these people who were able to resist it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember as a child, I was a really big fan of Egypt, of course, I guess, classic.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 2: Greece, you can't go wrong. Yeah. Babylon. Big fan. I like the beards. Yeah. You know, very cool. Yeah. As someone who, you know, I grew up like with a voracious appetite for those living long ago, how people live in the past, like historical books, how people dressed, what they eat, how they live day to day. And a lot of those ancient civilizations were presented to me as humanity's great achievements. You know, the magnificent architecture, the advances in agriculture, the remarkable works of art, and so on. But as I got older and I started reading more history from below, rather than history through the lens of kings and empires, I learned more about life before civilization and outside of empire, and I really enjoyed became less interested in civilization as something to be held up as the pinnacle of what he wants to keep below. Although I am still very much interested in it as an idea, and how we think about and talk about it as an idea. And so this is It Could Happen Here. I am Andrew Sage, or Andrewism on YouTube, joined again by... James.
Speaker 3: People have already heard me sounding off, but yeah, it's nice to be here again.
Speaker 2: Yes, in case you didn't recognize the voice. Yeah. And I want to talk about the meaning of civilization. If I were to ask you if you were civilized, how would you respond?
Speaker 3: I think I aspire not to be, but like, I have been raised in a society which very much proposed this binary between like the civilized and the uncivilized, right. I guess savage is a word you could use if you were looking at how that society portrayed it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And like, even though I think British education and stuff wouldn't use that word anymore, it says a lot about like the state and its desire to shape narratives in its favor. Uh, so I think I would aspire to de-civilize myself, I guess. I'm not like anti-civ. in like big scheme of things but i think in the in the way that it's often used to describe indigenous peoples or peoples who are not under control of the state i don't like that very much.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's interesting to me because if you ask most people they'll probably just be like yes they would say yes without hesitation sure you know obviously we're not most people yeah yeah but You know, as you mentioned, like the alternative being, you know, the savage, that is something that has kind of fallen out of fashion. You know, that exact binary of civilized and savage is not in vogue, you know, it's not treated as something that you see. And yet we maintain one half of the binary as something to uphold. So we still say, you know, we are civilized, this is civilization, but you wouldn't as much see descriptions of the alternative, of the barbarian, the uncivilized, the savage, the primitive. I think you can ask people, like, what is civilization? What do you mean by being civilized? And it's a bit shaky. You know, it's one of those concepts that is so familiar, so used to being referenced, that not many people stop to interrogate it. You know, we throw the word around all the time and it can mean cities or technology or modernity or law or culture or the state or simply not being barbaric. Historically, it's also been a way of dividing humanity. The Greeks, I believe, were the ones who referred to basically anyone who didn't speak Greek as a barbarian. You know, China infamously treated... everything outside of China as barbarian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, isn't it like literally an onomatopoeia? Like, people are saying, like, ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba.
Speaker 2: I think I've heard that story as well, yeah. I'm not sure how true it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not super familiar with, like, the sourcing on that one, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but, you know, the distinction of the civilized and barbarian is something that has been weaponized across history to justify conquest and colonization and hierarchical taxonomies of the human race. White man's burden, quote unquote, was to bring civilization to the less advanced people. Yeah. Civilization being, of course, the most advanced stage of human social and cultural development, which to me is itself a hubris because I think that presumption that we made it, you know, we reach where we go and, you know, what we figured out here, this is it. Yeah. You know, I think that is a very damaging way of thinking. Definitely. And it's something that I think is embedded into a very popular perception of what civilization is. You know, usually, historically, civilization has also been tied to cities, writing, large populations, agriculture, social stratification of some kind, specialized labor, monumental architecture, and of course, the state. Yeah. Buried in many of these associations is the assumption that hierarchy is advanced, that this way of structuring human society is the destination we're always headed to. You know, we have this term in anthropology, stateless. The presumption being that lacking a state is itself, you know, something that perhaps needs to be rectified. I'm not saying that every anthropologist takes this perspective, but the words that we use carry certain connotations. And I think that for some people, particularly people raised in a civilization context, it's like, oh yeah, they haven't reached where we have reached yet. They haven't gotten there yet. They haven't evolved to a point where they've developed a state yet. But that is the trajectory that they are on or are supposed to be on. The more bureaucracy and rule and classes and institutions your society has, the more advanced it is presumed to be. And then, of course, you have people like Samuel Huntington, who used civilization in this very broad sense as cultural identity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have a pretty negative impression of Samuel Huntington as a human being and as a theorist, but.
Speaker 2: As do I, I mean.
Speaker 3: I think we all do.
Speaker 2: To give you the listener an indication, he treats Islam... as a civilization, Hinduism as a civilization, Orthodoxy as a civilization. And then everything south of the Sahara in Africa is just one civilization, Tim. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love that, like, Islam is a civilization and also, like, south of the Sahara is a civilization as if never the two shall meet, right? Like, famously, there were no Muslims in Africa. It's just like a.
Speaker 2: The maps that I've seen, he does have, like, Islam in Africa as well. If you ever look up the map, the map is awful. The map is just awful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the map, like, gives me fucking... Yeah, like, admittedly, it's been a long time since I've engaged. Yeah, Muslim and African. I guess, yeah, he includes a horn of Africa in Muslim. Fucking unbelievable. Yeah, Confucian... Japan just exists as, like, a... Like every other culture is like massively homogenized and then Japanese is like completely unique and it's a little bit in this little bubble.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. This is, that's such like, I'm sorry. Like that's so weeb coded to me. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's incredibly white dude who hasn't fucking really engaged with the world coded, you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. It's like, oh yeah. The entire continent of Africa. Sure. Fine. Whatever. That's that's Africa. japan though like this japan is distinct from korea from china from the philippines from all of asia japan has its own thing yeah.
Speaker 3: From these places it's had exchange with for centuries yeah and then like the entirety of north america greenland western europe and australasia is just western the indigenous peoples there don't exist right like like are the the differences in those cultures yeah.
Speaker 2: Well western is code for white so yeah it's not surprising yeah that's that's definitely what he's doing there his famous argument was that future conflicts would be predicated on clashes between these civilizations hence clashes civilizations be in The title of his book.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't find it very convincing. I don't think you do either. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not buying it, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It treats these big cultural blobs as if they're unified entities and discrete entities when, you know, history has been a long story of exchange, borrowing, overlap, divergence, migration, and transformation. Yeah. Yeah. Finally, for another perspective, I want to share on the subject of civilization. We have David Wengru, who many of you may know as the co-author of The Dawn of Everything. And for him, he argued that if we're going to keep using the word civilization, we should think of it as a product of interaction between societies. So through trade and conflict and migration and imitation collaboration, Civilization is like an emergent phenomenon of that interconnectedness. I think that is a somewhat idiosyncratic, but still compelling and somewhat familiar approach to the idea. Typically, people do think of civilizations as discrete entities, though. Yeah. At least in Lehman's perspective. But the field of anthropology and historical research I know is rife with comparative studies. And, you know, investigations of those very exchanges between societies. So as he is speaking from an anthropological perspective, I see why he would want to put forward that reframing. And the thing about definitions of words and connotations and stuff is none of it is really objectively correct. They're all just pointing to different things. And the way that we use language is always going to be subject to debate. I think the fact that we can't even agree on what civilization exactly is should probably make us a bit more cautious in how we make sweeping claims about it. And really, I feel I've heard about many of the words that we throw around so casually. But one consistency I've seen across most definitions of civilization is this packaging with, of course, the city, but also with ideas of advancement and development, which of course begs the question, advanced according to whom? measured by what standard? How do you actually quantify how much more advanced one society is compared to another? If the benchmark is skyscrapers and bureaucracies and standing armies or industrial output, then yeah, sure, modern states score very highly in terms of advancement. But then we can ask, why should those be the specific metrics we use? Why not measure the advancement of a society according to how much leisure its members enjoy? or by how equal they are, or by how sustainable they engage with the ecosystem that they're embedded in, or by how much freedom regular people have over their own lives. You know, we can pick different measuring sticks and get different winners and losers in this competition of advancement. But the measuring stick we're working with when we speak of civilization clearly isn't very helpful for many of us. All societies are not working with the same measuring stick. despite the efforts to impose this capitalist, neoliberal measuring stick on everybody. You know, we have countless experiments and examples of different ways of organizing life across history, some lasting for centuries, others millennia, some expanding into empires, others staying small, some prioritizing equality, others prioritizing hierarchy, accumulation versus mobility. You know, we can't assume that All of humanity is trying to reach the same predetermined destination. So the whole language of more and less civilized doesn't really cut it for me. But the language of civilization does work for the people that it serves. The people who see their society as the highest stage of human development, which must be imposed on others by evangelism and conquest and so on to bring development. And the same attitude which is extended to people by European colonial powers to invade these lands for wealth and territory, to conquer them, to treat them as a lesser on the ladder of human development, that very same attitude extends beyond people to nature itself as something vile and unproductive and waiting to be mastered by civilisations. But one thing that's really stuck with me in reading, for instance, James E. Scott, which he talks about this in Against the Green, is just how fragile and not inevitable this civilizational development was, you know? These early states very often collapsed, very often fragmented. And for many people in those contexts, the collapse, quote unquote, was an escape to freedom. You know, it was something that gave them an opportunity to disperse and to create smaller communities and to have greater autonomy and fewer obligations to rulers. And so with all that history in mind, I find the concept of civilization, you know, something to think about, but certainly not something to idealize. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Something that just came to my mind is a speech that Daruti gave to the cops yesterday. On the eve of the Catalan revolution, right? So 19th of July. So the cops have been sent, right? They know that the military is going to rise up against them, right? They know that in the coming days that they will either have to fight their own military or accept the end of this like liberal democracy in Spain, right? This republic in Spain. The Catalan government has still sent the police to seize weapons from the anarchists, right, who are the most capable people of fighting this coup. They would rather state than no state, I guess, right? The state's always going to have more solidarity with the state than its constituents. And he says to the cobs, sometimes when we're given an order, we have to disobey it. And even if the order comes from a very big and important person, to translate, obviously, and paraphrase to, we civilize ourselves with disobedience. It's a really interesting phrase, right? To him, I guess, the concept of civilization is dignity and autonomy. The person who has given up their autonomy to the state is not civilized because they have given up that autonomy and allowed the state to be the one that makes their decisions for them, right? It's an alternative use.
Speaker 2: It's like an invasion, basically.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Like he's taken that term and said, like, it's fundamentally uncivilized of you to allow the state to be the one that makes the choices for you. It's just a really interesting, yeah, inversion of the terminology.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. I think it's curious because when I look at, for instance, there's this book, Civilized Death by Christopher Ryan, and he uses this concept of human domestication. Okay. And he argues that, you know, just as humans selectively bred and conditioned animals to fit into environments that we designed for our own purposes, civilization shaped us to fit the needs of these large hierarchical systems. Okay. You know, with sort of routines and obedience and punctuality for activity, dependence on these institutions. And so it's kind of interesting to me that, you know, by Durruti's Freeman, the domestication of civilization is precisely what makes us uncivilized.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the forced pacifism, I don't know how to say it, is what makes us uncivilized, it makes us undignified.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess that is another use or connotation associated with civilization that he's utilizing there, which is civilization as dignity.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: As being upright or dignified as a person. To be civilized is to be you know, a certain standard or caliber of person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly that, yeah.
Speaker 2: And so he's kind of pointing to civilization as corrupting that caliber by making us slavishly dependent on the institutions over which we have very little control over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like an interesting, like, inversion. I'm not sure how useful it is. Like, I'm not sure if it's a term anyone needs to recapture, but it's interesting, you know.
Speaker 2: First thing, even if I find that an invasion is not necessarily practical in terms of day-to-day communication, I think playing with concepts, tinkering with concepts, invoking them, I think it's still useful in better grasping them. Yes. In better formulating our sense of what they are and what they are not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely. Like the meaning of a word is something we co-create over time.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It's not like a, a fixed thing. And obviously we have these dictionaries and they have the meanings of words, but like language is just a way of communicating concepts. And so like we can, we co-create that meaning as we redefine those concepts.
Speaker 2: Exactly. so much of modern civilized life clearly isn't good for us i say that after stretching my back with you know great futility as i spent most of my day sitting yeah working at a desk You know, a lot of people are working jobs they find meaningless simply because they need the income to survive. You know, they are spending most of their working hours indoors, unexposed to fresh air. Yeah. If they even have fresh air outdoors because many of us live in urban environments where the standards of air quality are not the best. You could also speak of the rates of stress and loneliness and anxiety and depression and burnout. that have continued to rise even as our material wealth as societies, not necessarily as individuals, but as societies and our technological capabilities have both increased. I don't think you have to be a primitivist and advocate for some return to prehistory to recognize the negatives, the real same. And while I think many technological developments associated with civilization have genuinely improved people's lives, You know, antibiotics, dentistry, planes, the internet, especially for disabled people and those medical conditions that would otherwise be untreatable.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, these are very beneficial innovations. Yeah. I just don't think that civilization as we have structured and conceived of it has a monopoly on innovation. In his book, Wild Thoughts, Claude Lévi-Strauss had made the point that many of humanity's greatest technological breakthroughs in agriculture, weaving, pottery, animal domestication, they were developed long before we conventionally think of as civilization. Human beings have always been creative, we've always experimented, we've always invented, and we always will. Everything that we can or should go back, because I mean, there are billions of us now, mostly in cities that are far from ecologically sustainable. But I think if we keep the history of our diverse social forms in mind, then as we go forward, we can try to preserve what genuinely enriches human life while leaving behind the institutions and assumptions that no longer do. By the way, do you by chance have a blueprint? for the future of our species?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think I do, other than working it out together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me neither. Hoping someone might. I guess we'd have to figure that out together. Exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Maybe that is the blueprint.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I'm really not interested in seeing that there's one correct society that everybody has to adopt. Yeah. I think we can learn something from the incredible diversity of human societies that have existed And we can use that not for mimicry, but for inspiration. You know, to realize that we too can pursue these uncharted territories and develop something new. Or to take old concepts and stretch them into new forms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: The author Daniel Quinn, in his book Ishmael, had made a point that tribes... can be defined not by hunting and gathering or ethnicity, but as a social organization that allows people to make a living together. And so by this definition, people still today create tribal forms of organization all the time, whether it be mutual aid networks, affinity groups, intentional communities, wherever people freely organize themselves around shared needs and shared purposes. One thing Quinn emphasizes is that these kinds of societies can be very flexible. You know, when these arrangements are no longer working for us, we can change them. We can walk away from them. We're not tied to them in the way that we are basically bound by an enormous bureaucracy that we're supposedly in social contract with today. And so really, for me, that's what I want to focus on, a world where people have greater control over their lives, more decentralized, more cooperation, a world where organizations are things that people can freely join and reshape and split and leave, and they're no longer saving their needs. I really care about GDP metrics and, you know, megacity concentrations. I just want to know, you know, how we get from here to there together. And to me, that is something that requires... as I've said many times before on this podcast and on my YouTube channel, it requires opposition to systems of domination through confrontation and non-cooperation, through things like strikes and boycotts and other forms of resistance. And it also requires, on the other end of that equation, that we prefigure the world we want to live in by promoting certain ideas and philosophies. But more so by building the actual relationships and institutions we want to live in and be a part of. And I think that these are two processes that will reinforce each other. You know, people will see and experience different ways of organizing their lives, and that informs their ideology. They become more confident that these alternatives are possible, and it drives them to push them in new directions. So I say all that to say that The idea of civilization had its place and has had its time. But I think that we can let go of that old idea. You know, that we don't have to assume that there is no other alternative. And I think that requires not just a rejection, but an act of replacement. To make the cracks of the old order apparent... And to make the idea, the omni-idea of liberalism, capitalism, and civilization unconvincing by the presentation of this other alternative. I know some people might call that next thing a better civilization, but I would prefer there be, you know, didn't bind ourselves to that old terminology. At least that's how I try to approach it. And what about you? Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think we should be beholden to these things that can hold us back. And as you say, we should be more focused in building the world that we want to live in and not so much building the world we've been told we should want to live in. Language can turn into a way of seeing the world. And I think we need to be careful of letting language determine how we see the world in a way that inherently limits our ability to create a better one. And I think this is a concept that we need to be very careful of like when, when it, when it comes to that and just like the inherent bigotry that came, came with a lot of civilization narratives.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I do like the idea that Scott talks about this a little bit, right. But like, in fact, it is people in states who are domesticated and they were domesticated by grain crops. Grain crops brought those people in, forced them to live in a certain place, forced them to live in a certain way, also so they could tend and care for grain crops.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think maybe flipping that around might help people understand a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's a... I forget the name of the book. Is it Botany of Desire?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't read that. I've been recommended that book before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I read that a couple of years ago. And I think it was on that very subject. The idea that the plans that we've raised have in some ways domesticated us. Right. Just as we have domesticated them, it's been a reciprocal process.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like that idea.
Speaker 2: That, I think, was like a theme or an element of that book, if I remember correctly.
Speaker 3: Okay, nice, yeah.
Speaker 2: Or maybe it's a theme that I read into it.
Speaker 3: Right, either way, I think it's sometimes a useful way of seeing the world.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I guess that's one of my takeaways as well. Play around with concepts, tinker with them, flip them upside down. And I think that is also how we innovate, how we create new things, new meaning. You know, there is this, I think it's a proverb, or it might be an Ecclesiastes, but it's like, there's nothing new under the sun. So it's like, creativity is just the ways that we repurpose what already exists. We build upon everything that came before. And we have to be willing to play around with it if we want to get to that point of Innovator. Yeah. That's pretty much what I have for today. All power to all the people. Peace.
Speaker 1: It Could Happen Here is a production of Cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from Cool Zone Media, visit our website, coolzone.com. or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for It Could Happen Here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.