Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: Karen, we begin in Washington, where President Donald Trump has carried out an annual tradition. The President sat down for a wide ranging interview ahead of the Super Bowl with NBC News. The discussion covered an array of topics, including the situation in Minneapolis after the deaths of two Americans by federal agents. President Trump says immigration enforcement in the city needs a softer touch.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm not happy with the two incidents. It's not you know, it's both of them, got one or the other. He was not an angel and she was not an angel. You know, you look at some tapes from back. But still, I'm not happy with what happened there. Nobody could be happy. And Ice wasn't happy either.
Speaker 3: President Trump says he personally decided to pull seven hundred agents from Minnesota yesterday. That's still he was about two thousand federal agents in the Twin Cities area. A Quinnipiac University poll shows sixty three percent of voters disapprove of the way ICE's enforcing immigration laws, though seventy seven percent of Republicans approve. Sixty one percent think the Trump administration has not given an honest account of Alex Pretty's shooting Nathan.
Speaker 2: President Trump also discussed geopolitics in the NBC News interview. The President had a message for Iran Supreme leader ahead of indirect talks with the country tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I would say he should be very worried. Yeah, he should be. As you know, they're negotiating with US.
Speaker 2: And President Trump has threatened military action against Iran if it does not reach a deal on its nuclear program. The White House says both sides still plan to meet in Oman tomorrow. President Trump also touched on his hour long call yesterday with Chinese President Hijin Ping. He said they covered a lot of topics and that it's important that both leaders have a good relationship.
Speaker 3: The ker in the Federal Reserve also came up in President Trump's interview. NBC's Tom Lamas asked if infestrate policy wait on the President's decisions sho replace Chair J Powell with former Fed Governor Kevin Walsh.
Speaker 4: I mean it became an he said, I want to raise him. We should said that you wouldn't have gotten a job he would not have gotten a job.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: President Trump says he believes the FED is an independent body in theory, but he also says he's a smart guy whose predictions on the economy should be considered well.
Speaker 2: Sticking with politics here, Nathan Today, voters in northern New Jersey was select nominees and a special Democratic congressional primary to replace Governor Mikey Cheryl in the Republican led US House. Bloomberkeleysa Matteo has more on the lineup of contenders.
Speaker 6: It's quite the crowded list eleven candidates. To be exact in the spotlight is labor activist on Alilia Meheya, who has called for abolishing ice and taxing the rich in corporations. She's landed endorsements from Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Ocasio Cortes, and multiple unions, and uses the same social media firm that helped New York City Mayor Zor Mumdani go viral on TikTok. Among the higher profile contenders are former Congressman Tom Melanowski, Essex County Commissioner Brendan Gill, endorsed by former Governor Phil Murphy, and Tahisha Way, Murphy's former lieutenant governor. The winner will face the only candidate in the Republican primary, Randolph Township Mayor Joe Hathaway. On April sixteenth, Lisa Matteo Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Radio, all Right, Lisa, thank you now. The latest on the missing mother of NBC Today's Show host Savannah Guthrie. She sent a public message to her mother's kidnapper, saying her family is ready to talk, but wants proof that she's alive.
Speaker 5: We live in a world where voices and images are easily manipulated. We need to know without a doubt that she's alive and that you have her.
Speaker 3: Savannah Guthrie's eighty four year old mother, Nancy, was last seen Saturday around nine forty five PM, when she was dropped off at her home in Arizona by family.
Speaker 2: After dinner, Nathan returned to the markets. Now there's been a momentary pause to the global tech selloff. Nasdaq futures are higher after the index erased its gains for the year over the past two sessions. Traders are weighing whether the flight from tech has been excessive amid concerns of our disruption from artificial intelligence, lofty valuations and vast capital outlais. This morning, shares of Alphabet are down more than two and a half percent. The Google parirent did top quarterly revenue estimates, but says capital spending on AI will be significantly higher than anticipated. CEO Sundar Prashai says the money will deliver a return on investment.
Speaker 7: Revenue from AI solutions built by our partners increased nearly three hundred percent year over year, and commitments from our top fifteen software partners grew more than sixteen x year over year.
Speaker 2: In Alphabet, CEO Sundar Pashai says capital expenditure could come close to one hundred eighty five billion dollars this year, compared with the almost one hundred twenty billion analysts had expected.
Speaker 3: Well stinking with company news, Karen, Shares of qualk, Harm and ARM are both tumbling. In early trading, the semiconductor company signaled a shortage of memory chips will crimp growth in the electronics industry, and now shares of Qualcom are down ten and a half percent. ARM is lower by more than seven percent.
Speaker 2: Nathan, The big tech earnings continue today, with Amazon reporting after the bell, and we get a preview with Bloomberg's Tom Busby.
Speaker 8: Amazon dot Com is expected to show steady twenty one percent revenue growth and its Amazon Web Services cloud computing division amid heavy spending on artificial intelligence, hatspurs, bread and butter e commerce unit. Analysts expect the company benefited from resilient holiday spending despite a thirty five day long government shutdown and a slump in consumer confidence. Bloomberg insensus calls for revenue of two hundred and eleven point forty nine billion dollars on earnings per share of a dollar ninety six. Tom busby Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: All right, Tom, thank you. All is not calm in markets this morning, outside of tech. Precious metals are in focus once again. Let's get the very latest from Bloomberg's John Tucker. John, good morning, Good.
Speaker 9: Morning, Nathan. Yes, silver, Let's start there. That plummeted as much as seventeen percent as the commodity is struggling to find a floor following this historic route. It's nicknamed the Devil's Medal for a reason, Nathan. Its price is volatile, and it's led to financial ruin for more than one speculator after a record breaking a rally that appeared to run too far and too fast. The medal has retreated by more than a third from its all time high January twenty ninth. Gold has fallen below forty nine hundred dollars an ounce. The precious metals swored last month in a rally underpinned by speculative momentum, geopolitical upheaval, and concerns about the Fed's independence. In New York, I'm John Tucker Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Time Now for a look at some of their stories making news in New York and around the world. And for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr.
Speaker 10: Michael, good Morning, Good morning Karen. Business leaders, labor groups, and transit advocates are calling on the Trump administration to restore funding to a sixteen billion dollar rail tunnel that links New Jersey and Manhattan. The Gateway Development Commission has warned that it must stop work on the tunnel by tomorrow unless the US Department of Transportation immediately releases federal funding tied to the project under the Hudson River. New York, New Jersey and the Gateway Development Commission have sued the Trump administration to restore funding The partial government shutdown is now over, but the fight over a new round of funding for the Department of Homeland Security is just getting started. Lawmakers have under two weeks to reach a bipartisan decision. Arizona Democratic Senator Reuben Guyago.
Speaker 11: I'm not optimistic, not from what I've heard so far, but from what I hear from the American public.
Speaker 12: They think ICE has gone overboard.
Speaker 10: Democrats are calling for judicial warrants before ICE would make arrests. They're also calling for a ban on ICE agents wearing face masks and make agents where by cameras. Alabama Republican Senator Kate Britt, so.
Speaker 11: We're putting the safety and security of the American people first. What Republicans will not do is change the law. What Publicans are not going to do is not enforce the law.
Speaker 10: Senator Britt says, we got here because of rhetoric from the left. Officials from the self driving vehicle industry appeared before Congress responding to reports of Waymo vehicles not stopping for school buses in Austin. Texas Safety chief Maurici Opinya says they've already updated their safety software.
Speaker 7: Safety is are top priority, especially safety of children and pedescans.
Speaker 10: It comes just a few weeks after a Waymo vehicle hit a child who'd suddenly entered the roadway in Santa Monica, which has prompted a federal investigation. Officials from TESLA and the Autonomous Vehicle Industry Association also testified Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now Michael Barr and this is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 2: Thanks Michael, time now for our Bloomberg Sports update, and for that we bring in John stash Hour.
Speaker 12: Thanks Darn Moore. NBA trades ahead of today's deadline. Chris toms Porzingis goes from Atlanta to Golden State in exchange for Joseph Kaminga who was unhappy with the Warriors, as well as Buddy Heal. This means the Warriors are no longer interested in acquiring Jannisntatocompo from Milwaukee. Anthony Davis goes from Dallas to Washington part of an eight player trade. In a hockey trade, the Rangers dealt free agent to b R Timmy Peneran to the LA Kings in a baseball free agent signing fran Burg Valdez with Detroit. That's your Bloomberg Sports Update.
Speaker 2: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg day Break coming up after this.
Speaker 1: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business opp This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 10: Good morning.
Speaker 3: I'm Nathan Hager, Minnesota, Iran the Fed. All of that and more came up been President Donald Trump's wide ranging interview with NBC News, portions of which aired last night, ahead of the Super Bowl and months before a midterm election. Now, the President says, when it comes to the deaths of two Americans in Minneapolis.
Speaker 4: I'm not happy with what happened there. Nobody could be happy, and Ice wasn't happy either. But I'm going to always be with our great people of law enforcement.
Speaker 3: That was President Trump in the interview with NBC's Tom Lamas. We're joined this morning by Terry Haynes, the founder of Pangaea Policy and Terry, I'm just be curious to get your thoughts on whether a Super Bowl interview returning to this tradition for a president is something that resonates with voters, particularly at this moment for the president.
Speaker 13: Good morning, Hi, Good morning, Nathan. I don't think it hurts him at route. And it is a good thing that he's returning to this tradition, and it's a good thing that he gave NBC a good deal of time on this, and you know, people deserve to hear his voice kind of cutting through the the cacophony on all these subjects. So yeah, I do think it's a good thing.
Speaker 3: And in terms of the President's comments about the situation in Minneapolis, he says he made the personal decision to pull the seven hundred federal agents yesterday, he says it needs a softer touch. Now what is he doing in terms of overcoming this political backlash that we are seeing playing out in the polls.
Speaker 13: Well, I think it's a good thing generally that the President understands that the enforcement process up there was certainly overreached and to put it mildly, and that he made that decision. You know, it's just just as the bad decisions ultimately come to roost to his detriment, the good decisions help him. And you know, as I say, fundamentally, it's a you know, I think that's a good thing that they kind of ramp up the method of enforcement going forward. On the prospects for ICE, DHS continued funding, though, I think Congress has got in the White House have a huge lift, because you've got the temptation on both sides to overreach and include other things other than the matter at hand how ICE does its job, And you've got a potential goals mismatch where if Republicans seem to be more united on figuring out exactly what kind of guardrails I should have, you've got Democrats, I think, all over the place here, some saying they'refore guardrails, Others want to defund, others want to keep away from other issues like sanctuary cities. So I think this is going to be a difficult lift, And politically, Democrats run the risk of turning something that they want to keep as an advantage into looking like their immigration enforcement opponents or homeland security enforcement opponents. So it's a delicate mix, and I think people would be well on both sides would be well advised to kind of keep to the subject of how ICE does its job.
Speaker 3: Just thirty seconds left, Terry, we also heard the President say he wouldn't have picked Kevin Warsh's FED chair if he wanted to raise interest rates? What's the message to markets when it comes to FED independence.
Speaker 13: The message on FED independence, I think doesn't come from the President, which is kind of the usual stuff, comes from the Senate. You've got not only Banking Committee member till Is saying he's not going to confirm until the Pale investigations dropped. But I think it was a very big thing from Tim Scott, the Banking Committee Chairy yesterday, basically giving the Trump people a fig leaf in order to get out of this kind of get rid of the Pale investigation. The signal there is not only is Warsh very likely to be confirmed, but Trump should back off trying to warp or destroy FED independence because that's Conquerc's agent.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 3: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg in ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 3: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business App now with Applecarplay and Android auto interfaces.
Speaker 2: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now and your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long. I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 3: And I'm Nathan Hager. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak