Speaker 1: My next guest as a host of the hit ABC competition show Shark Tank. I'm minority owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks and maybe just maybe a presidential candidate for the United States of America. Please welcome to the Steven Aismith Show. To one and only mister Mark Cuban. What's going on, big time? How are you men?
Speaker 2: How's everything?
Speaker 3: It's all good. It's all about you, mister big money.
Speaker 2: I wish, I wish, and please I still don't. I still don't make a penny to your dollars. Stop that nonsense. Don't even try it. But listen.
Speaker 1: I couldn't wait to talk to you right now. First of all, it's great to see y'all.
Speaker 2: Hope you will.
Speaker 1: How has life been for you since you've sold the majority steak in the Dallas Mavericks.
Speaker 3: I make's been great. I mean from a personal perspective, family perspective, business perspective. You know, we're growing costplus Drugs dot Com. My kids, you know, my my freshman my son is playing play basketball this season. My daughter got a rowing scholarship to she's had me. My oldest is in college, having fun. Everybody's healthy. My wife is happy. I mean, this is the way it should.
Speaker 1: Be when you think about it. I mean, obviously, you own the Dallas Mavericks. The majority owner for the Dallas maveris solo for twenty three years.
Speaker 2: For crying out.
Speaker 1: Loud and to give that up. Nobody ever imagined that you would do that. Put into your own words why you had reached that conclusion and it was time to surrender a majority stake of the franchise.
Speaker 3: I mean one family. You know, I was going to away games and you know, my kids were getting out of school and moving into their own adult lives, and you know, I was missing too much of that, which is also the reason why I left Shark Tank. You know, the NBA has evolved over the last twenty five years where it went from being a very entrepreneurial environment where if someone like myself came in, you know, ideas were welcome to being a really you know, a pe type scenario where there were ownership groups. There were private equity groups that were buying into teams and owning teams, and that kind of changed the dynamic and it really evolved so that in order to compete financially, because that's half the battle on the court is one thing, but being able to compete financially is a big part of it as well. It didn't play to my strengths any longer, you know. Really, you hear every single team talk about real estate and expanding in casinos, and that just wasn't my strength. So and then you know the other part again going back to family, when you get on social media and you listen to kids and you listen to adults for that matter, on social media and off, people were getting mean, you know, And if I was looking forward to, you know, ten years from now, my kids taking over, I just that's not where I wanted them to be or to go. And you know, you look at other teams where kids have taken over. Sometimes it works a lot of times it doesn't. And I wanted them to fight their own path so or find their own path, So it just made sense to self.
Speaker 2: Find their own path is one thing.
Speaker 1: But I'm genuinely asking you this because I'm really interested in hearing your response.
Speaker 2: The world is getting ugly.
Speaker 1: You're absolutely right, And as a guy who's a pundit and can be a critic, even I look at it and be like you people cross the line. You cross the lines I would never even think to cross. What the hell's wrong with these people these days? But the flip side to it is that knowing the world that we're living in, knowing.
Speaker 2: How it's regressing before our very eyes.
Speaker 1: Do you really really believe that you're gonna be able to shield your children?
Speaker 3: Oh no, I didn't say shield, right, Okay, I never said I want them to find their own way. In sports, it's a different beast, right. Look, And here's the way I explain it. When you win a championship, see that guy back there, you know, and in any sport, a million people might show up for the prey and they're that passionate, and that passion leads to when things are good, everybody loves you. When things are not good, it's not as nearly as much fun that For me. Okay, I grew up, you know, before grew up in this industry, before social media, I had a great run. But for them to find their own path, they can go wherever they want. They may not want to be in the middle of the storm, or they might not even be want to be a public figure. They might want to be very private. One of my kids is like super private and hates the idea of, you know, being out in the public. So you know, I just I want them to be curious about life and find their own path. And it's tough when you're the heir apparent for a basketball team.
Speaker 1: Now, when you sold your team, the Dallas Mavericks, the majority state to the Adamson and the Dumont families in December of twenty twenty three, you talked about being a minority owner, still maintaining about twenty seven percent if I remember correctly, and you said that you would pretty much be running still running basketball operations that had that clearly was not the case because Luka Dotic is going I'll get into that in a second.
Speaker 2: But what happened to that role?
Speaker 1: You were supposed to be play a row of running basketball operations?
Speaker 2: What happened to that?
Speaker 3: Mal Cuban, I think it was fool's gold. I mean, we went to the finals. You know, it's only been fifteen months since they took over, and we went right to the finals, and I think everything seemed easy, and all decisions that were made seemed to be perfect. And in that particular case, why do you need Mark for any more help? And you know, but It's never that easy over the course of time. And you know, once we once I was out of that picture, we really didn't have anybody that had any long term experience in making decisions in the NBA, and I think that kind of backfired.
Speaker 2: And I guess what I'm asking is, but if you had an agreement where you still own twenty seven percent of the franchise and you're going to be running basketball operations, how the hell was that something they were able to wiggle their way out of. How did that happen?
Speaker 3: Well, because it was a handshake agreement, and you know, yeah, they decided, you know, I tried to put it into the contract actually in the NBA said no, they said, basically, it's between you and the new ownership. And you know, they they went in their direction again. You know, mistakes happen. You know, I don't think they do it the same way now. But it's only been fifteen months and I think, you know, they've learned from everything that's happened, and I think things will be better for Maps fans going forward.
Speaker 1: The most obvious question you have ever been asked, because we all know the answer. If Mark Cuban is still the owner for the Dallas Mavericks majority and otherwise, is Luka Doncic in La or is he still in Dallas?
Speaker 3: I think he's here. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Could you have ever imagined yourself trading Luka Doncic? No, can you explain why the hell they came to that conclusion?
Speaker 3: I don't know, you.
Speaker 2: Still don't know.
Speaker 3: I've heard, I mean, you know, Nico is you know, I've heard what Nico said publicly privately, you know, and they align and so you know, Nico felt it was the best decision and Patrick do you mine agreed with them at the time, and they made that decision, and you know it just that's the way the NBA works.
Speaker 1: Could you educate my audience as to what words were said as to why Luka Doncic was being traded.
Speaker 3: I mean, Nico decided that, you know, defense wins championships, and they thought that he thought that Anthony Davis would be a better anchor for our defense. And look, you know, the truth is between Ad Derek Lively, and Derek Gafford, that's the best big three, big three in the NBA. But Luka Doncis is a you know, generational talent. So you know, while there's an argument to be made, and I understand where Nico's coming from. It's just not the same decision I would have made.
Speaker 2: So when they told you, where were you and did you collapse in front of their face? Did you go ballistic? What was your immediate reaction upon hearing the news that this generational talent six years younger than the talent that you was bringing in, although Anthony Davis is a big time player, What was your immediate reaction in the moment when you were first told the news.
Speaker 3: I was like, you're asked me, right, this isn't done? And he was like, no, it's done, and I was like, okay, you know, nothing more to talk about. I wouldn't have done this, and you know, thanks for giving me the call.
Speaker 2: Who did you say that to? Who cult you?
Speaker 3: Nico?
Speaker 2: Wow? Wow?
Speaker 1: One of the things that was reported Mark Cuban is that throughout his years, as much of a generational talent as we all know Luca to be, his dad spoke out upon in the immediate aftermath of the trade because of the cynicism that was thrown in Luca's direction, doing his own thing, marches to the beat of his own drum, you know, controlling his circle to some degree, strength and conditioning, etc. Being in shape, all of these different things. Was it fair criticism? Was it exaggerated?
Speaker 2: Was he being maligned unnecessarily in your eyes?
Speaker 3: I mean, look, everybody saw him. It wasn't like he was ripped and had a six pack. But what I think what the biggest mistake was in trying to understand Luca is he's He's from the Balkans, right, He's Slovenian. And you know, you look at Jokic, who's Serbian, and you look at Serbian players in general, they're just a different mindset, right. They look at the game different they look at life differently, they look at their they're emotionally. You know, the guys that I've gotten to know from that from that region of the world are different. And I think that was what was not considered as fully as it should have been. That you've got to understand what people are like, what their backgrounds are like, who they are personally, what their families are like, you know, how they interact with other people and from that part of the world. And my experience is Luca was just you know, other than the basketball talent, he was just like every other guy. And you know, and I think that was one of the reasons he loves to play with the Slovenian team. He relates so well to all the other players from that part of the world, and you know, over the summers, that's who he's hanging out with, that that's who he is. And so I don't think that we truly lead took the time to understand that, and I think that really led to this decision, and that that and that really underpinned this decision, that lack of attention to that that issue, and I think that's here we are.
Speaker 2: Mark educate us.
Speaker 1: When you say he was a bit different, not so much about him, but about those players from Europe compared to American players, and you say he's a bit different, folks needed to understand that kind of thing. What are the kind of things that you noticed about him and about players from overseas, from Europe.
Speaker 3: Different even overseas players. If you've never seen a game in Serbia, Okay, they're going, like said before, Joker said, you know, oh, guys are yelling at me. No, dude, have you ever seen a game in Serbia? And you watch him, that's where you see the videos of the entire stadium, bouncing up and down. And you know, look at Jokic's brothers. They're aggressive, right, they don't put up with anything, you know. Just you know when we had bobono On was a big teddy beer but he could be aggressive too on the court. And so just that mindset that you just when you're on the court, your intensity is at a different level, you know. And you see that with Jokish, you see that with Luca, you see that with other players, and that historically has been who they are. And you have to understand where people are from in the world. That culture, you know, the culture you grow up in, makes the difference to who you are as an athlete, as a professional in any sport, and as a business person for that matter.
Speaker 2: Is that good for the NBA in this day and age. Is it what's needing?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes, it's great, right because you know, the beauty of the NBA is that we accept all cultures from around the world because you know, they're all different, and that's what makes us unique in that we're very, very accepting no matter where you are, where you are from. And I think it's amazing, you know, and you know when you see his Ukah like when I went to La with my son when we played there against it for the first time, and I told him I was gonna boom when he was on the free throw line. So I did, and I was smiling and laughing, and he was. You know, he got really intense, because he's always really intense on the court. Always. You see his response to the referees, you see his responses to anybody. He is intense. And while you know, Joker may not be as purely emotional, and I don't get to see as many of his games, the guy is intense, you know, But when the game is over and he goes back home, he's more interested in harness racing, which by the way, I grew up watching my entire life, so I don't blame him. But you know, they go back and they live their lives. It's just different, and you've got to accept those differences in players from that part of the world, and I think that was part of our mistake.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, the way you describe Lucan players from that part of the world. It sounds a lot like Mark Cuban, and I don't recall you being born in Balkans. I mean your intensity level for it we'll go ahead.
Speaker 3: Let me just tell you one grandparents from Lithuania, Okay, multiple from Ukraine.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: You know so I got that into my blood, stephen A.
Speaker 2: I got you. I got you absolutely.
Speaker 1: Before I get into my questions that are non sports related, I wanted to read you something.
Speaker 2: Did you see this?
Speaker 1: Rasmussein poll conducted by Pablo Torre finds out it's of one twenty one likely voters who were asked who would be the best Democratic candidate for vice president for twenty twenty eight?
Speaker 2: Would you check out this? Please? What's your reaction to this? Right here? Mark Cuban is leading to raise Dame first. There we go. That's right. That's what they did. That wasn't enough. That was them.
Speaker 3: I did second fiddle to nobody, damn right. So but you know, if I ever do decide to run, which won't happen, stephen A, you can be my VP.
Speaker 1: No, if you ain't playing second for what would make you think I want to play second fit?
Speaker 3: I'm not doing that because that's who you are, bro, That's who you are.
Speaker 2: I'm second fiddle, that's what you're telling me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, go never mind.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: At least chief established Secretary of State or something, not the vice president.
Speaker 2: Not the vice president. But let me ask you this.
Speaker 1: You know, you've been a vocal critic of President Donald Trump, but revealed on the All In podcast that he reached out to you in twenty twenty four and offered you a position in his administration. First of all, in what capacity was that and did you ever consider it?
Speaker 3: No, he didn't offer me in a position ever, so that that never happened. But back in his first administration, I went and talked to him and talked to others about helping with health care. And I actually talked to people in the administration now bringing up just basic things about health care and pharmacy pricing because of our success with costplus Drugs dot Com and so look, I'm all about Team USA. Whatever I can do to help this country, I'm going to do it. You know. It's you know, it's like sports. I played rugby forever. You beat the hell out of each other during the game. After the game, you have a beer. This is, you know, my mind the same way. You know, if I can help cut the cost of health care in the United States of America, doesn't matter who the president is, whether I like him or dislike him, I'm going to do what I can.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about what he's been doing so far, not just in the first seventy two seventy three days, but specifically with this whole tariff war he's created.
Speaker 2: What are your thought?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's the problem. I think he and Elon aren't aligned in their thinking. I think Elon's first goal is to reduce the deficit, and one path to reduce the deficit is by the economy declining and contracting. The idea is that if the economy contracts, then you have to reduce interest rates in order to you know, get it fired back up again. And by reducing interest rates, since that's one of the big components of the national debt, then you push down the national debt. The problem is you can't reduce interest rates and why you're increasing tariffs because tariffs, particularly to the extent that they've been implemented here this week, are very, very inflationary. So you create this catch twenty two. And then on top of that, with all the DOGE cuts, which I think are going to have a disproportionate impact on small towns and cities in the United States of America, then all these things happening at once, and that's really bad for the economy.
Speaker 2: That doesn't sound like America.
Speaker 1: First to me, that doesn't sound like it makes a lot of sense what they're doing right now. And as somebody write this to me, they said, his formula is screwed. First it was an election too. Talking about the terriffs. First it was an election tool. Then it was a negotiating tool. Now it's here to stay. He's all over the place. This is what people are saying about him as it pertains the tariffs.
Speaker 2: Do you find yourself thinking in that regard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what I think is they're very dogmatic. You know. Elon is very dogmatic. Cut cut, cut, cut cut, and Trump is very dogmatic. Tariffs, you know, are a beautiful word, and we're going to have tariffs. They don't go together at all. Something's got to give, and right now it's the stock market.
Speaker 2: And I'm looking at it from this standpoint.
Speaker 1: The thing that really struck me, Mark is that the Republicans, this is a party that religiously preaches about the importance of lowering taxes. How are you going to sit up there and raise and create a tariff war? And then the same breath, lower taxes. It seems to be antithetical to anything that they've been preaching about for decades. I don't find their message to be consistent at all in that regard to that job.
Speaker 3: No. I mean, look, the parties are not as important as they used to be, and the Republican Party is the Trump family business now. And you know, maybe that's good in some respect, but that it also means that everybody's just going to go along. Everybody in that party is going to go along with whatever Donald Trump says. And if he says tariffs are good, everybody's out there saying tariffs are good. Howard Lucknet. Donald Trump has been wanting tariffs for thirty years. He's the smartest guy I know. Let's you know, tariffs are going to be amazing until they are.
Speaker 1: Not only that, it's increasing taxes on small businesses as well, Oh yeah, I mean, I mean this is exact. I mean, this is this is the bread and butter of the American economy, and it's increasing taxes on small businesses and on regular average every day American.
Speaker 3: Protect three million. There are thirty three million companies in this country. There are only twenty one thousand that have five hundred or more employees, the other thirty two point whatever million. They don't have the money to absorb tariffs. They can't just raise prices. They you know, they are going to get hurt. And so that's a real problem that I don't think they've thunk through.
Speaker 2: Why is it?
Speaker 1: Tell us and remind us why you were so supportive of Kamala Harris and the Democratic Party considering how chaotic things look.
Speaker 2: And we ultimately learned that side of.
Speaker 3: The aisle was because she wasn't Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Simple as plain, just that simple.
Speaker 1: If it were anybody else other than Donald Trump. Let's say, for example, it was NICKI Haley. Let's say, for example, what was Ron DeSantis, Chris CHRISTI. Even if a vec Ramaswami or somebody, are you saying that you may have thought differently.
Speaker 3: I voted for Nicky Haley in the Texas primary.
Speaker 1: I got you, so you would have voted for her for presidency if she had wonted Republican.
Speaker 3: There was a lot more to learn, right, You can't just you know, jump based up of what was happening to the point of the primaries. I didn't agree with everything she said, but I certainly would have considered it. And look, I like Calma, I don't want to throw her under the bus. She's smarter than people give her credit for. But I think she was really held back by her team. They would not let her do just basic things that would have made a lot of difference.
Speaker 2: MARKA, You are you a reachtered Republican?
Speaker 3: No, I'm independent?
Speaker 1: Okay, so am I I just want to make sure I cover I checked that, you know. I asked that question because as I look at I've been taking a lot of heat because I've been pointing the finger at the Democratic Party. I'm like, I ain't gotta apologize for a damn thing. I voted for them. What the hell am I doing?
Speaker 2: Vote?
Speaker 1: I voted for him, you know, And now I was rooting for them, but I was so disgusted because I felt that they got caught up in identity politics, cancer coach and all of that stuff and wasn't talking about everything.
Speaker 2: Talk about that for a second.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, what did Donald Trump do that was really smart? And he just drove home right. He told every white guy, not just white guys, you know, guys who worked in big companies that DEI was the reason why you weren't getting the job or why you weren't getting promoted. And he told people of color that you know, or not just people together, people who were in lower paying jobs, the reason why you weren't getting paid more is because immigrants were coming here illegally and taking your jobs. And he wasn't wrong to a certain extent. You know, the Democrats were so you know about identity politics, and you know, you know, we have to help all these underprivileged people. Well, we all want to help people who are disadvantaged, whether they're trans, whether they're black, whether they're white, whether they're poor, you know, whoever. We want to help those people, but you don't have to make it that you do what you do rather than just talk about it. Right, and by just pushing all these agendas to push DI and I'm a fan of DEI, I think it really turned off a lot of people who felt like they were being diminished. And then there were, you know, particularly in universities, the way they implemented DEI and spend tens of millions of dollars instead of just helping people that need help. Okay, Stephen, you need help, Let me find a way to help you. That's what we're going to do. It was let's put together these programs, let's spend all this money. Let's tell people that they are racist when they're not racist. There are plenty of racists. We don't need to call people who aren't racist racist. And so, you know, doing things like that, you know, the whole sports transports issue. You know, it's like the old Willie Horton thing. You know, my attitude is, if there's a trans athlete, no matter what side, you let the opponent, whether it's an individual sport or a team sport, you let them decide if they wanted to compete against them or not, if they feel they can win, if they feel it's not fair, it's up to them. But to make it just a national issue so that if you weren't supporting the fewer than ten trans athletes in the NC DOUBLEA, then you know you weren't a good person. I just people aren't ready for that yet, and you've got to meet people where they are. We've gotten we've taken this country so far in race relationships, rations and attitudes towards LGTBQ. You know, it takes time. You can't just force it down people's throat. And instead of trying to get it where the people who are being disadvantaged and being discriminated against are helped, they wanted to make it a campaign issue focused on helping the people, not using them to campaign.
Speaker 2: How does it make any sense to you?
Speaker 1: Let's say, for example, this compartmentalize and take the trans athlete issue. We're talking about folks that make up less than one percent of the population, and they made it a big deal during their campaign.
Speaker 2: What kind of thinking do you.
Speaker 1: Connect that to? For the Democratic Party to take that kind of approach where there were vast swaths of the American electorate that they were ignoring in favor of a considerably smaller swathp how do you explain it?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I get wanting to stand up for people who are being discriminated again, absolutely, I get wanting to stand up for people who are in pain, who are who can't get jobs because of how they look or how they sound, or where they're from or what's happened to them. You know, the choices they've made and how they're identified. Help them, but you've got to look at the goal. How do you help them? Is the goal? Not how do you make a point to, you know, the rest of America that they're discriminatory and we're not. That there's no value in trying to prove someone else discriminates and you don't, right. The value comes in focusing that energy on actually helping the people, not trying to use them to sell something.
Speaker 1: Last question on this subject, I want to see if you agree or disagree with me on this. I'm looking at the Democratic Party and I think there's a lot of spectacular local talent, and I like Jos Shapiro to governor of Pennsylvania. I really really like Wes Moore. I look at them and I say, yes, I like them. The way they're looking at politics, they might as well stay in their own state. I don't see a national voice for the Democratic Party.
Speaker 2: So I'm of the mindset.
Speaker 1: That as bad as this situation seems to be with tariffs and how it may potentially wreck our economy, if you're listening to a lot of centrist in those on the left, my other attitude is the best way to combat all of that is for the Dems to win the mid term elections, and the best way for them to do that is by letting Donald Trump do what he wants to do so he can mess up and that way you can slide up in there and recover from the disastrous, disastrous stuff that happened this past election.
Speaker 2: To that, you say, what, So.
Speaker 3: I think the Democrats locally have to do things right. You're gonna get Bernie, You're gonna get AOC going out and going on their tour and get people amped up. And that's fine, right, But the reality is, let's just look at DOGE. Right. The cuts that Doge are is making to jobs, firing all those people, closing offices, canceling contracts to universities through the NIH, through you know, other organization, other agencies. Right, that has a disproportional impact on small town America. So I read something that you know in Iowa City, Iowa that just through the NIH there were seventy nine million dollars in grants that look like they'll be canceled. That's very impactful in that district. And apparently the woman who won Republican who won, only won by eight hundred votes. You've got to go where you can help those people who are being disadvantaged by all these DOGE cuts. You go to Parkersburg, West Virginia, where there's a Treasury office that has two thousand people. I don't know how many people are I want to get fired, but first hundred twenty five already have. When you fire one hundred and twenty five people in a pound that only has twenty nine thousand total, probably fifteen thousand working, and there's potential for another eighteen hundred and seventy five to be cutting in offices to be closed. The Democrats need to be going there and talking to the mayors, talking to the tax assessory, talking to the people in the county and saying, look, this is all going to fall on you. Everything's going to roll downhill and hit your budget and you're going to have to cut all these services. Let us work with you to come up with solutions so that you see the Democrats as the solution rather than the Republicans that are creating this problem. But if you just say Democrats bad, Trump bad, you know, every time you bring up Donald Trump in a small town, it's a trigger word one way or the other. There's just no point to talk about him. What you got to do is go in there and help the people that need help. And that's the theme you'll hear me talking about all the time, no matter what the topic. When these decisions like tariffs and those are made, there are people who are being disadvantaged. There are people who are losing their jobs, their livelihoods, their companies, their towns are not going to be able to offer the same services. The COVID money that is using for there's now being used for a mental health clinic or an opioid clinic. Those are going to get cut. Who is going to come in there and help them resolve those issues that those cuts have created. That's what the Democrats need to do. They need to go in there and talk to those people, hold the town halls, listen to them, and rather than always having a Democrat standing behind e lectern lecturing, let those people who are facing these challenges talk for them. Because if you hear somebody from Parkersburg, West Virginia, if you hear a cattle farmer from Nebraska, if you hear somebody at the University of Iowa who's studying the cure for cancer, whatever it may be. If you hear somebody in West Virginia that used to work for the agency that make sure that there were safety in the coal mines, and you talk to the coal miners who now are scared to go and do their job. Put aside whether the environment, they're just terrified. You know that there's not going to be stafety standards. Talk to those people and let them do the talking for you. That is how you going to get momentum. If you're the Democrats.
Speaker 1: Mark you launched cost plus Drugs in January twenty twenty two to cut the middleman out of getting prescription drugs into the hands of consumers, and that's helped millions.
Speaker 2: How will the new terriffs affect that business?
Speaker 3: Right now, they're not. But what we'll do is if there's a ten percent, twenty percent terror, we'll add that on to the cost. So right now, the way cost plus Drugs works, you go to costplus drugs dot com. You put in the name of the medication if we carry it, and we carry about twenty five hundred SKUs, it'll come up and we'll show you our actual costs and then we'll show you our markup, which is only fifteen percent, and because we only market up fifteen percent, we're almost always cheaper. If there's a tariff, we'll show you what the actual tariff is. We'll be completely transparent, and we'll show you what it is and hopefully, since it's you know, some percentage of a lower amount will actually end up being even cheaper than the alternatives.
Speaker 2: Are you going to run for president? Do you believe? You don't think so?
Speaker 1: Do you believe that you could beat any Democratic candidate out there?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So why would it you run when you have the heart, the intelligence to make a difference, and obviously deep pockets.
Speaker 3: Because I think I can really change healthcare and fix healthcare, and I'd rather be on that mission. And when I'm ninety five years old and I'm on my deathbed and I'm thinking about life, I'd rather think about those minutes I spent with my kids and the time I was able to spend with them at this age, rather than running around on a campaign trailer even being in the White House.
Speaker 1: What's your chances of fixing healthcare? If this man is still in office?
Speaker 3: I think, you know, he actually helps to a certain Okay, how because I think the people he's putting in there they need help, right they know what they don't know. Fortunately, and so the people that I've talked to have said, look, the doors wide open to come in and help us figure these things out to show it, you know, to demonstrate to us why the pharmacy benefit managers are problems and why they're increasing the cost of medications while the insurance, the biggest insurance companies are increasing the cost of health care. We're ready to listen to people that he's appointed have said, or through their intermediaries have said, we're ready to listen. We think you can help. I'm sending them data, so I think there's a path there.
Speaker 2: And who are these people that he appointed that you're alluded to? RFK Junior? Who him? Anybody else?
Speaker 3: I hadn't talked to those guys, but I talked to people who work for them.
Speaker 2: I got you.
Speaker 1: Let me transition back to sports before I let you get on out of here, because recently you went on you were on the All the Smoke podcasts with my boys, you know, Matt Bonds and Stephen Jackson. You have some great things to say about star player Kyrie Irvin and what he means to you and what he means to the gay He and I have had our differences in the past, but I know he's a good brother and I've obviously even when we were butting heads, I religiously said, that's just he and I button heads over something. I respect the hell out of that guy, and I know what a spectacular play he is.
Speaker 2: He's a good dude. Your thoughts about Kyrie Irving love him to death.
Speaker 3: Man, he has just got a heart of gold and some you know, you could say that his biggest problem is he's you know, his heart is too big. But I love him, I care for him. I just want nothing but the best for him and his family. And oh, by the way, I don't have mind right now, but those Kyrie's I just got some of the newest ones. They're fireboys. Okay, so go out and try those two.
Speaker 2: How's he doing? How's he doing mentally and otherwise? Sense of surgery?
Speaker 3: I mean, he sees it as just another challenge that he's got to fight through. You know, you if you saw the you know you're showing the replay here, if you saw him at the three free throw line when he you know, miuths the words thank you God. Yeah, that's how Kyrie approaches life, where he's like, this is what I've been given. I've been giving these these amazing talents, but I'm also going to be giving challenges and this is one more. And Kyrie has just got that focus and that intensity. He's in a lot of respects. He's like Dirk in that respect where when Dirk got heard or something happened, Dirk found a way to fight through, and Kyrie's the same way.
Speaker 1: You're back at a startup taking on TikTok is called Skylight.
Speaker 3: Talk about that, Yeah, I mean there's a couple actually that I'm working with that you know, who knows what happens with TikTok. But I'm big on a platform called oh my God, not I want to call him my space Blue Sky. So I'm really big on a platform called Blue Sky. And Blue Sky is a moderated social media platform and working with Skylight that allows them to add TikTok like videos and the beautiful part of it. It's distributed so there's no one person that can control it. It's moderated, so you can have normal comps. There's not people coming out with hate and anti Semitic things. You know, those people get booted off. So I can have real social media like conversations on Blue Sky. And so you can follow me there at mcuban and you can see all these things and.
Speaker 1: What's this about some change maker AI contest you've got going on?
Speaker 3: Oh that's with the Forward party and so AI like you. AI is just the coolest shit I've ever seen in technology. It is just unreal. Like I've been through a lot of technological revolutions going way back, but there's nothing like artificial intelligence and you know, doing things like creating videos through text prompts. You could say, you know, show create a video with Mark and Steven a talking about sports in front of you know this background, and just hit enter and it'll in two minutes it'll crank something out that you can start from. So, you know, prompt text to video, you know, talking to chat ept you know, or Anthropic or all the different editors Gemini, here's one for you, Steven. Have you heard of notebook LM?
Speaker 2: I have?
Speaker 3: Have you tried that?
Speaker 1: I have not.
Speaker 2: I have not tried it, but I just heard about it the other day. I didn't know anything about it till the other day.
Speaker 3: So this stuff is crazy, right, So take a transcript of this show, our interview and go to Google Notebook LM Studio and put it in there and create a podcast out of it. There'll be two people a man and a woman that will just start talking about It'll be like, so stephen A had something interesting to stay about politics, what do you It's just insane. And why that's important is kids today gen Z and younger don't like to read. When we grew up, reading was it was fundamental, right, it was critically important to learning and being curious. Now people want to listen to podcasts. They want to you know, watch and listen on YouTube. Being able to take things that are text and books and written and turning them into a podcast makes it easier to connect to your gen Z employees, gen Z students, whatever it may be. And I think just those types of tools from AI, they're going to change the world.
Speaker 1: Don't you worry at all about the negative impact that can have on a job market. These computers, this new technology, it's going to cost a lot of American citizens, a lot of people throughout the world jobs. I'm talking about human beings. I mean that, isn't that the truth?
Speaker 3: Yes and no, there's going to be disruption during the transition times. I think overall it'll create a lot more jobs because it's a tool that can allow people to be more creative, to be smarter, you know, it's like having your own mentor available to you all the time. You know, if you don't have an advanced education, it can act as a professor that can answer your questions. So I think it'll make people more capable, competent, and more employable. But in the intermis, it's just like the old days, right, you went from records to CDs and cassettes two DVDs to digital and they're gone and people lost their jobs and so it's unfortunate and you have to try to come up with programs that help them. But the reality is it's it's not going to stop. There's nothing you can do to stop it. Globally, and from a business perspective, there's going to be two types of companies, those who are great at AI and everybody else. And the better part about it, Stephen, is that there's going to be twelve year old kids fourteen year old kids that use AI to create billion dollar companies because they put in the time to understand where the opportunities are and the opportunities that AI creates and they go to work with them. If I was sixteen and I always looking to start a company, I would be like the smartest dude on AI in my neighborhood and go to the small medium sized businesses and show them how to use it. Or I would start my own business build around AI because it's going to be unstoppable.
Speaker 2: Last question for you, back to basketball.
Speaker 1: If I said your twenty seven percent stake in the Dallas Mavericks is on the line. With the right answer to this question, who's meeting in the NBA Finals and who's gonna win it all?
Speaker 3: What you're telling me the Dallas Mavericks are going to shock the world.
Speaker 2: What you stop that nonsense? But come on, man, I just asked you.
Speaker 3: M f al to the core. You forget I was the season ticket owner in the nineties when if we won eleven games, that was a good season, and so I am hardcore MAVs. You can never get me off of that ever.
Speaker 2: Love you, man, It's good to see man. Thank you for being on the show. Buddy. I talked to you soon, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Stephen, Thank you one and only Mark Cuban right here on the Steven A.
Speaker 2: Smith Show. That man special, That man special. I'll give that to him. The Mavericks, you ain't make the play, they might not. We'll talk about that later,