Speaker 1: Hi, get everybody on Dan Horde and thanks for downloading The Bengals Booth Podcast. The It's the Club addition, as the Bengals look to climb toward the top of the AFC North as they host the Baltimore Ravens. Coming up, I'll talk to a former Bengals wide receiver who is making it big and broadcasting and no it's not Chris collins Worth. We'll hear from Cam Taylor Britt who bows to bounce back from a bad game, and Ryan Rico on winning the punting job. And at our Know the Faux segment, we'll get an in depth look at the Ravens from former Baltimore linebacker Brad Jackson. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business, and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered write to your phone tablet or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since Pete Rose, the baseball player. The hit King, passed away this week, and he was obviously a flawed person, aren't we all. But in his twenty four years as a Major League baseball player, Pete Rose gave it his all as much as any athlete in any sport. The end result was three batting titles, an MVP Award, seventeen All Star Game appearances, three World Series titles, and a record four thousand, two hundred and fifty six hits. Consider this, Royal shortstop Bobby Witt led Major League Baseball this year with two hundred eleven hits. If he did that for twenty straight seasons, he would come up thirty six hit shy of the hit King, a mind boggling achievement by one of Cincinnati's greatest sports legends. Now let's talk football, beginning with a former Bengal who was at the Carolina game last week as a guest. A former Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton. Our guest is one of the quickest and shiftiest wide receivers in Bengals history. Now crushing it in retirement on ESPN and in Business number sixteen, Andrew Hawkins Hawk great to visit with you last week on ESPN before the Bengals beat Carolina, you said you were not writing off Cincinnati yet explain why.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Cincinnati over the Joe Burrow tenure has had slow starts to a season. Right, That's something that we're always going to talk about that needs address. But as you break it down, each game, there was a different reason why they didn't get over the hump and get a W in the column. And you know, the first game, the offense didn't look great. There were moments I felt that Joe could have pushed the ball down field, but there was chemistry things and with Jamar coming back recently, you can see wild can that took a little bit for that to get going. Game two, defense played decent against you know, the best quarterback, but they had faced to this point Patrick Mahomes and the offense had their moments as well, but a call goes differently at the end of the game and they get a W there. And then week three, the defense probably didn't, you know, play the way any of us wanted. But so as I looked at those three the three games, I felt like, because there were all different issues each week, there was an opportunity they would be able to put this together. And it really did just feel like a slow start as opposed to a football team that is not going to be competitive in the latter part of the season. And so I think they played a more complete game versus the Carolina Panthers. There were moments defensively, and there were some some balls that definitely went in Cincinnati's favor, But overall, I still think this is a a is a good team. I think there is great players here and what you're what you're looking at is them trying to find their chemistry. If they can, you know, get over some of the injury bug stuff that's starting to plague them. I still think that they're going to be one of those teams late in season that you don't want to see. Specifically, if Joe Burrow is healthy and doing what Joe Burrow does well.
Speaker 1: Let me follow up on that one thing we haven't heard on ESPN or any other network in recent weeks as much talk about Joe Burrow's wrist. Does he look basically as good as ever?
Speaker 3: To you?
Speaker 2: I think so. I think like you know, look for every athlete that goes through a major injury, and I went through this in my time in Cincinnati, there's like this purgatory period when you get done, like when you get back to full strength and health, that you're still trying to, like, you know, convince yourself to let it go. And I do think early in the season in that game one area, Joe was trying to figure that out right when the live action was out there. But I do think since then, as I've watched him, it looks like he has in a big way, right And the other part of the that is encouraging is I felt like versus Carolina, you know, they looked a little different in their offensive attack, and Joe was okay with that. The running backs were, you know, amazing in that game. And I was at that game. Actually, we went down to go see it because Andy was playing, and me, Mohammed sanu aj Green said pierman, Vinnie Ray, Mike NuGen, We all sat there and watched the game together. So that was a really cool moment for all of us as well.
Speaker 1: Does it do your heart good to see the red rifle still slinging it fourteen years after you guys were rookies together.
Speaker 2: I can't tell you how good it did my heart. And also I sat there I could not believe that that guy was still playing football. As someone who's knees crack as they walk up the stairs, I'm like, that is ridiculous that you were still out there. We came into the league together.
Speaker 1: So Bengals fans enjoyed the victory over Carolina last Sunday, and then on Sunday night they watched Baltimore dismantle the Buffalo Bills, and I think everybody felt a little bit queasy just seeing how good the Ravens looked in that game. What are some of your keys for the Bengals to knock off the Ravens at pay Corps on Sunday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they cannot let the Ravens bully them, right, And I know that probably feels rudimentary, but if you watch that offense, it is rudimentary. Like NFL football in general is kind of evolving back to the old school. Run games are up. It's not as pass heavy and it's not as highly productive in the air and as it has been in years past. And for someone like Baltimore over the last two games, starting with Dallas and then in the last week versus the Bills. I mean, Derrick Henry is a modern marvel and they are very much going to say, hey, we're going to run the ball down your throat until you prove to us we can't. Right, And so for Cincinnati to get them to play it honest, to get them to like truly dig into their offensive strategy bag, they cannot allow that run game to bully him. And yeah, it starts up front. The Ravens, like the offensive line has started to slowly figure it out. Obviously, we know they replace some pieces, but I think the keys to their running game in the blocking or on the perimeter with Mark Andrews and Racard. The way that they are leading holes for Derrick Henry and almost springing him in that second level, it's special. It's special. So it's going to take a concentrated effort from first level, second level, and third level to show that they are stout early in this game. Otherwise they have the potential to wear down that defense.
Speaker 1: For the Bengals defense, help is on the way on the defensive line. There are four injured players that should be back soon. Maybe not this Sunday, but soon do you see a defense that's capable of being really good?
Speaker 2: I do, I do. I think, you know, when I look at defenses in the NFL, it starts with, hey, do you have the personnel right? And for me, if you have the personnel, number two is do you have the coaching to put them in position? And I think they have both of those things, and you know, even on the defensive side. And I know he had a tough game last week, Cam Taylor Britt, but I think he is one of the best young corners. I really do appreciate his game. I appreciate his style. I actually appreciate that he takes the chances when he does, because to me, that shows a level of confidence. Now he understands, and he said it in his you know interviews this week that he has to tighten up and he can't allow that no matter what that situation is. But I do think that their personnel is figuring out how to gel together. And what I'm hoping for versus the Ravens, which is right when it's needed, is that the Bengals are able to put together a complete game and that is both offensively, defensively, and in special teams. And then when you go a little bit more micro on the defensive side. That is, on all three levels of the defense. They have to be able to play as a unit. Right. We know that all these things affect each other, secondary effects the defensive line, the defensive line effects the secondary and the lineback and cores and all of that. And yeah, I think this is a big opportunity, not only because they'll need it. It's one of those games where if they're able to make this the game defensively, they can put it all together, even though they're you know, there's people injured and probably won't be a part of this game. It will give them the confidence for the remainder of the season. This is one of those statement games to show, look, look what we did versus the Baltimore Ravens, and that elevates their game for the rest of the way.
Speaker 1: We're chatting with ESPN analyst and former Bengals wide receiver Andrew Hawkins. Let's talk about the Bengals offense. The point total has gone up every week. They've topped thirty two weeks in a row, and we're seeing young guys emerge, Chase Brown at running back, Eric All at tight end. Do you see an offense that's finding more ways to attack.
Speaker 2: I am seeing an offense that's finding more ways to attack, and I think they're also understanding the importance of that of role as well, right, Like, we know what Jamar Chase is, we know that you know T Higgins can step up big and will step up big when necessary, and those big players are going to come. But to your point the role players and saying okay, you know hey versus Carolina, Yes, those moments. But there there's gonna be some some ground and pound opportunities. Is going to be some out of the backfield. We're going to have to make catches and get first downs. We're going to have to break tackles when it looks like we're stuffed on the goal line, because that is what's going to get us over the hump. And I think Joe Burrow has done a very good job of distributing the football right I Go's so easy for quarterbacks to get locked in on certain guys. And the thing I love about Joe is that he understands like, yeah he has Jamar, Yeah he has T. But the number one receiver to him is the guy that's open. And that is a special quality that not a lot of quarterbacks have, especially when things get thick and there's adversity in games. It's so easy just to go to the easy button. But for Joe it's I think he did an incredible job last week. It has, honestly, I think ever since Week one, of distributing the football in confident ways and trusting his guys in other places.
Speaker 1: Your short space quickness was as good as I've ever seen. But Jamar Chase isn't too far off. And he's five inches taller and thirty pounds heavier. What stands out to you when you watch Numero Uno.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie to you, Jamar Chase is, you know. And I pride myself on my ability to scout receivers scout abilities. I can make comps, and when I watched Jamar Chase, I actually literally just talked about this with AJ Green. It's like he's the kind of receiver who there's no like one thing that you look at and say, oh, he does that great right now, he's the very best. To your point, when you watch me, it's very clear his quickness makes him different. That's why he could be five seven in the NFL. With AJ Green his hand eye coordination is on elite levels that even by NFL standards, you don't see. There's people like most Anew who is a strong he has very great lateral quickness for his size. But then there's Jamar Chase who does pretty much everything well that nothing stands out over the other ones. And sometimes if you're just like if you just pop in and out, it's like, oh, he's just the middle of the pack. But then you see his speed on those plays, like when he breaks out on the sideline, his strength to break that tackle, his hand eye coordination, it's just like everything is good about Jamar Chase. He's like almost And I say this to my son, who is a young receiver that I'm training as well, and I'm like, he's a guy you should watch because it's like a video game if you build a receiver. He has all the attributes like good already that are stocked that you want to put in your wide receiver. I think that's what makes him special is it's not because he does any one thing incredibly better than everybody else. He does everything better than everybody else, and that's a special quest for a receiver his size and his play style.
Speaker 1: You were a Bengals fan as a kid. Your older brother Artrell played for the team. You were part of three playoff teams in a Bengals uniform. What was it like for you to be sitting in the stands at Sofi Stadium watching the Bengals in Super Bowl fifty six.
Speaker 2: I cried, I'm not gonna lie. I did. I did. I shed tears as they played the national anthem, and I was sitting there because, yeah, You're not wrong, Dan. I remember being in sixth and seventh grade, and this is when I'm like really getting into NFL football, and I'm in the middle of Steeler Country's country, and I'm wearing Bengals jerseys and T shirts and you know these are one, one, two, three win seasons, right And you know as a sixth grader, as the seventh grader, all you want is for your team to be good. And I'm praying for my team to be good, and I'm praying just to see them in the playoffs. I would love to see a Hawkins jersey in the playoffs, you know. And I remember when we played the Texans in the playoffs in twenty eleven, like I was almost uncontrollably crimed because it was such a full circle moment. And then to be able to sit in the Super Bowl watch the Bengals battle the Los Angeles Rams, I don't know, it was a surreal moment. I consider myself a fan before anything else, and that fandom of sport, that fandom of football started with the Cincinnati Bengals. Man, So it has always meant something more to me to see those stripes out there doing well. And it's been an incredible couple of years watching Joe kind of help take this franchise to the place that we all knew it could be for the last twenty plus years.
Speaker 1: Andrew, we love seeing you on ESPN. But as I mentioned earlier, you're thriving in the business world. You got your masters at Columbia after your playing career ended. Tell us a little bit about the business you co found in Status Pro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate that. So Status Pro is a virtual reality technology company and we build XR technology around sports for or coaches, fans and players. And so we have a training product that NFL teams use to simulate reps on the field. So you put the VR headset on or we projected on a walk through wall where you're able to see the defense, you're able to manipulate the defense, so everybody gets a real look of that first person perspective they're going to see on Sundays without putting wear and tear in their body. We also have our number one consumer product, which is NFL pro Era, which is the first ever NFL simulation game in virtual reality. So you get to play quarterback, you get to play defense, and feel what it's like to be in the NFL. It's been an incredible journey. We founded the companies five years ago now, and me and my co founder Troy Jones, who is also a former Division one quarterback, we just felt like there was an opportunity to give fans but they've always wanted, which is to feel what it's like to be their heroes. Like I told you those moments when I came out of the tunnel as a Cincinnati Bengal, having grown up a Bengal with having dreamt of that moment my entire life, it was surreal, and so through technow I wanted to create that experience for everybody, and that's what NFL Pro Era is, and it's something I'm incredibly proud of. And again those roots stem back to you know, my life as a lifelong Bengals fan.
Speaker 1: We are very excited about your success. We love seeing that Bengals helmet over your shoulder. Continued success to you, Andrew, and thanks for the time.
Speaker 2: Dan. It was great to see you and thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Now let's turn from a former Bengals wide receiver to a current Bengals defensive back, Cam Taylor. Britt has been excellent when healthy in his first two NFL seasons. That's why it was jarring last week to see him get benched in the win over Carolina. The guy he was covering was targeted six times and Cam surrendered five catches for eighty four yards and a touchdown. DJ Turner eventually took his place in the lineup and wound up playing fifteen more snaps here are Zach Taylor and lou Anarumo.
Speaker 4: That game was not up to his standard, know, and I'm sure he'll talk more about it this week, but you know, just just again, he's a guy that we really lean on to be kind of a foundational piece over there, and that certainly wasn't his best game and expect more from him going on. And that wasn't up to his standard, and I'm excited to watch how he responds to that.
Speaker 5: Cam will bounce back. I have all the faith in Cam. He's getting a big hug right after the game and like that will never happen again. And and I do trust him. He's played too much good football here for us in order for that. But again, where we're at, we can't allow anything to slip. So he's one of the guys that weren't counting on to play well. He's demonstrated that he can and he has to.
Speaker 3: Do it consistently, so he knows it.
Speaker 5: So you know where I'll say it again, I have all the faith in the world and Cam that bounce back and have a good game this week.
Speaker 1: I spoke to Cam this week about bouncing back, all right. Lu shared the other day that after the game, you approached him even before he like shook the other team's hand and said, this is not gonna happen again. I had a game, I promise you that was that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, most definitely.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: You have to be a man and own up to your mistakes at the end of the day. And that game player that I put out there on the film and showcasing from the world was not it U and I believe my coaches knew that. I wanted to make sure that he knew that that was the right of me because the team they count on me, and I couldn't be counted on the you know the other game.
Speaker 1: Can you describe what you think you were doing poorly?
Speaker 3: Honestly, it was my technique, man, in my eyes, honestly, you know, they both go together. Just trying to play so fast that you're looking for the ball ahead of time. Basically, you see, I got the interception, but I was looking at the ball then, you know. But it's you can't you know, put your hands on the receiver downfield, even though they try to. You won't get those calls. You know, at the end of the day. It is offensive league, and you you have to play the you know, the ball through the air. Can't grap receivers. So that's that's one thing I gotta do better with that.
Speaker 1: It almost sounds like maybe guessing a little bit, trying to anticipate something instead of just relying on the technique that's got you this far.
Speaker 3: Anticipating most definitely for a little minute, Like I said, I do watch film Man. Sometimes you know when it's coming at the end of the day. But also you know another we're going into the second half of the season. They're looking at film now and growing against players now. So you guys are bad here the continued teams are going to continue to hit you on the same thing and double move it and you know, switch it up here and there, knowing what you're going into.
Speaker 1: How eager are you to play again after a game like that?
Speaker 3: Honestly, man, I'm surprised today. It was a great practice. Man. Just start the week, all right, Uh, you know, just get right for this week and redeem it.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been taken out of a game for something other than an injury?
Speaker 3: Not at all, man, And I think that was one thing that just kind of opened my eyes, because I told you was some touch field. I didn't want to come off of it. But in all reality, you know, at the end of the day, we have to win the game, and then I'm the reason for that. You guys to understand, this is a business and it just can't be like that, and it won't be like that.
Speaker 1: Neither Zach or Lou sounded worried. They more or less said He's one of our best players. We're counting him him to be that guy, and we're confident he will be. I don't know if you heard those comments, but what does that say to you?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I did not hear any of that, but I do really appreciate them for, you know, thinking that of me. I'll try to come out here every day and put my best foot forward. Yeah. I had a hiccup, but there won't be too many more hiccups.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I try to do this trying to win. Man, as a team, and like I said, the team counts on me to be that number one guy, and I have to do that.
Speaker 1: Looking at the Ravens, I heard Bill Belichick say this week the challenge with them is if you go big to stop the run game, they got fast guys. If you go small to be fast, they've obviously got big guys. Is that a good description of what makes them so unique?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can most definitely say that. Like he basically said, Man, it's total opposites on each end. You know, there's a woe win situation. They're a great team and they have the best of both worlds in the backfield. The two two greatest duos in the backfield and now I'm on the outside. You of course they have the speed, you know, the run downfield, you know, take the shots off your head. So you got to be very prepared for that. You know, stop the run when it's that time, you know, take the shots off.
Speaker 1: When they added Derrick Henry, did you say, of course they added Derrick Henry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of you know, we played against so before. But you know, man, that this, you know that is intimidating to a lot of teams. That you see that in the backfield. You gotta garb both of those guys. You know, you never know. Lamar Will, you know, put his magic on and he made something happen. But down here running game with Derek here is dangerous.
Speaker 4: Will.
Speaker 1: What's the mindset of this team in terms of the importance of this game.
Speaker 3: Is his playoff game? Simple? Is that we have to win. There's no offense or us about it.
Speaker 1: Well, Cam's looking to bounce back this week. Hunter Ryan Rico aka robo leg is looking to continue the remarkable start to his NFL career. Ryan Rico's first punt today went fifty seven yards. He came into the game averaging more than fifty nine yards of punt when he launches this one way way up in the air, Blacks year going back back back. Wow, catching it at the fifteen, tackled right away by Tyson Anderson.
Speaker 6: Man in the Bengals bench, Mike Hilton and others come to congratulate Rico.
Speaker 1: He crutched that roboleg is averaging fifty eight point four yards of punt with a net average of forty nine point seven. Both numbers would be NFL single season records, and with the release of the now healthy Brad Robbins this week, Rico has officially won the full time job.
Speaker 7: I hate the way that it happened with Brad being injured, just because like it can happen to anybody, and so that's never you never feel great about that, but definitely grateful for the opportunity. I feel like I've been able to showcase what I can do. But I feel like it's like the game's not four seasons, or the season isn't four games. Just need to continue every single week proving exactly why I think they made the right decision.
Speaker 1: Your numbers through four games are pretty crazy. I mean, both your net average and your gross average would be NFL records. That's probably hard to keep up. But do you feel like you've been unusually good to this point or just good?
Speaker 7: I don't feel like it's been unusual. I feel like in practices it's pretty pretty indicative of what's been able to transfer to the field. Obviously, we haven't had a whole lot of punts, so I mean, I wish I could sit here and just say like, yeah, every ball is gonna be be perfect. But I'm sure everybody goes through a little bit ups and downs. But as as for myself right now, I feel like I can really stay the course and continue to just try and put our team in really great positions. And I feel like the net especially speaks volumes of the coverage guys. I mean, our gunners are hustling, They're setting speed records every single week. It seems like snaps are great, and I've really had not a whole lot of pressure, which has been great because our protection has been really good. So I feel like it's it's been a great couple weeks as a unit.
Speaker 1: For sure, You've hit some really good ones from deep in your own end. Do you think that that's something that maybe you are, you know, exceptionally good at Yeah.
Speaker 7: I love I love being able to have that open field. So then you're not kind of in the gray area. Do I need to take a little bit off it? You can kind of just swing away. And I feel like Coach Simmons has really instilled a lot of that confidence, just like go out and hit whatever you want, like we're gonna cover it. And so I'm just really really grateful that they've allowed me to play to my strengths and just looking forward to hopefully continuing it.
Speaker 1: Karon Simmons says that Rico has the most powerful leg of anyone he's ever coached. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, Proud to be the Bengals Official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future Proof Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business, and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now time for this week's Know the Faux Segment. Former UC football and basketball player Brad Jackson won a Super Bowl ring as a Baltimore Ravens linebacker. He's covered the team since his playing days ended and joined Dave Lapham and me this week on the Bengals Game Plan Show. Let's talk about the team in your neck of the woods. The Baltimore Ravens liked the Bengals. They started the season zero to two, lost at home to the Raiders in the second week of the season, and they've been good since. Went on the road and beat Dallas, played great on Monday Night to beat Buffalo. What changed? Why did the Ravens begin turning it up in week three?
Speaker 8: Well, I think a lot of it had to do. You know, guys is with you know, when you're back as against the wall. You guys know John Harball, he obviously has bloodlines to the University of Cincinnati as our former running back coach or recruiting coordinator. So he just kind of went back to, you know, what's the hardball way of just going back in and focusing on the base and simplifying things. And so, you know, the lost of Kansas City on the roads is a tough one. We know how good Kansas City is. Opening week, like you said, it was an opening day hearing Baltimore versus the Raiders, and the Raiders have traditionally played awful every time they came east, and they kind of got shell shocked in that game.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 8: And then when you're zero and two and you go on the road to Dallas that everyone was expecting to play better considering they had just got she lacked by the Saints at home the previous week. It was it was a team that had a sense of urgency and had a lot of focus, and then they kind of got back to as you guys know and see of running the football. They kind of got away from some of the little fun dipsy do types of stuff that we all see throughout the NFL early in the season with teams and then teams ultimately find you find out who they are. And I think for the Ravens in Week three, having their backs against the wall, it was, let's go out there and just get back to handing the ball off to Derrick Henry and let's really try to ride this and take advantage of Lamar's legs and his ability to and RPOs and that type of thing, and then throw the plays downfield. And they had to so and then they carried it over into, you know, obviously last week against the Buffalo Bills, where you know, they basically opening play, you know, Derrick Henry, you know, goes all the way to the house eighty some yards or whatever it was, and then it was over from there because they just kept pounding the ball out of the Buffalo Bills, who I think were kind of shell shocked and there was really no answer for So that's probably the two biggest things. I think. Defensively, the same thing.
Speaker 2: You have a new.
Speaker 8: Defensive coordinator in Zach Korr, who was a former player obviously, Chris Hewett, you know, my bear cast teammate, is the assistant head coach and the passing game coordinator. And they finally have a healthy secondary. And then they lost a corner this week that's going to go on ir for a hamstring. So they're finding their way defensively with a new defensive coordinator, even though the system is the same. You've lost a couple of players, They've plugging in a couple of new players. They basically and all that being said, got back to playing Ravens football, which is, you know what, We're going to run the football, be physical, and play good defense and try to get back to five hundred, which is what they were able to do.
Speaker 6: Man, I'll tell you. Running the football is an understatement, you know. I mean back to back games twodred and seventy yards rushing or more. I mean they've done it three times children seventy yards rushing or more in a game since the start of last season. The rest of the NFL zero, the rest of the NFL haven't done it. They've done it three times two weeks in a row. Now, I mean you talk about committing to a running game, these two Henry and Jackson seven hundred and eighty eight yards rushing, six point nine yards per carry, and they've combined for seven touchdowns. I mean, they just they just pounded submission. I mean, is ground and pounds best, didn't it?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I mean I mean, hey, lad, you and me could come back and play for this team right here, right now, because here you know all about being physical as an offensive lineman and the offensive line if you go back and you got and I know you guys do. So I'm speaking more to the to the Bengals fans out there and Washington film or watching the game. The offensive line was getting torched, like out here in the media. They were putting moving signs, you know, in front of some of these guys' houses because they were playing so bad. And part of that had to do with it, because they were throwing the football and the right side of the offensive line was getting you know, was getting tore up. I mean, we all saw the Thursday night opener. You know, Chris Jones, who's probably you know, top five best defensive players in the entire league, was having his way and made impactful plays. The same thing happened the falling week. Max Crosby comes in here and he, I mean, he looked like he was a defensive player of the year, you know, dominating the offensive line. And I think what happened is they got back to, like you said, ground and pound, run the football. They're still going to the running game, but they're pulling guards, they're pulling tackles, they're they're trapping guys on the interior. And we know in this passing league. And then the way the game is in college as much as there's not a lot of guys that linebackers and d Liman are just not used to seeing the old school running you know, plays of you know, guards pullings and guys getting trapped. And so once you're doing that, and then you got Henry you let him go downhill, and we all know, you guys remember him from the Titans. Once he's going downhill like he's a problem. And then if you can get him to go sideways, which is what the teams the first two weeks did, then obviously you haven't advantaged there defensively, which is what I'm sure the Bengals coaches, you know, in the coordinator them, are going to have tell their guys all week, we got to get him going sideways. You have to get penetration. So, like you said, they went back to running the football the raven way because it was an opportunity and a way for them to try to get this get this ship back right after start zer and two because because guess what if you go down to Dallas and lose in your oh and three and then you got to come home and play you know, the Bills, who obviously want to, you know, be a playoff team. You know, at the end of when all this is said and done, you know that's going to be a situation of going oh and three with the chance going.
Speaker 2: Oh and four.
Speaker 8: We all know, now, all of a sudden, it gets real sticky around here. When a quarter of the season has been lost. So they went back to the roots of raven football. They went back to said, you know what, let's help these offensive lineman out because we're getting torchs trying to do all the nice things in the passing game, and right now they're just not that good enough to hold up. And they their offensive line took a beating. They took it personal. And then what you do, laugh is you know, when your offensive line is struggling, every offensive line to play with Job and Hogen the Hall of Famer and play with a lot of very good Hall of you know, played against Tony Mancelli friends with lead. I'm seriously all these guys that we know. You know that Alan Fannico is my draft here. You know, guys that I've warned to talk to, and like, what, what do they love the most? You guys love to get down and dirty and pound on people versus retreating and pass blocking and pass blocking the whole game. You want to match people in the face and impose your will. And when you're able to impose your will, You've seen what's able to happen in the last two weeks here in Baltimore, which is then getting a ground game going and now the offensive line has gotten their conference back because now they're almost likely they're the bullies on the block, you know, down there in the trenches.
Speaker 1: A couple more questions for former Bearcat great and former Raven Super Bowl winning linebacker Brad Jackson. Baltimore had a historically good defense last year, number one in the league and fewest points allowed, number one in sacks, number one in turnovers generated. No team had ever done that before in those three categories, but they lost a ton of good players. Patrick Queen has gone, Gino Stone went to the Bengals. Todevian Clowney is now with Carolina. The Bengals saw him last week. Is there a drop off? Is there a full area on this defense?
Speaker 8: Well, I think if there's a vulnerable area, you got Trent Simpsons, who obviously was a very good linebacker at Clemson University. It's his first time starting because, like you said, Pete Queen is off the Pittsburgh right now, and so the vulnerability I think is probably up front. There hasn't been a lot of pass rush. You have O Way, who had a couple of big games, but right now, Michael Pierce, the defensive tackle, he's probably gonna miss the game this week. He was down last week shoulder surge. I mean, he's a huge piece on the interior. Mama Buke, as we know, was a you know, franchise and got a huge contract.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 8: You know, one of the highest contracts were in tier defensive linemen in the NFL. He's kind of been held at bay.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 8: They went out and brought back a couple of defensive ends that they had, you know in years past, on one year deal. It's just a couple of days ago, uh to sign into the practice squad. So you know, when you look at the defense, you know the vulnerability. I would probably say there's still some area because you have a couple of guys nicked up in the second Kyle Hamilton has played well, but he hasn't played to the elite level yet. And you know, he's kind of been getting some plays here and there that people are targeting, which is what's gonna happen when you're a great player like he is. They have to find him out. So you know, the pass rus hasn't been what they wanted. Linebacker players pretty well, so they're just solid right now. They're not doing anything great, and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that it is a new defensive coordinator. You're still trying to figure things out, like coordinators are trying to figure out what is his goal to what is he like to do? And I think that's where Chris Wit, you know, it's been extremely helpful because, like you said, you mentioned all the players that were gone, well, you also lost, like you said, the defensive coordinator, Mike McDonald, the head coach of Seattle. You lost Dennard Wilson, who was the assistant DV coach. He went down to beat the defensive coordinator in Tennessee. Anthony Weaver, the D line coach and run game coordinator. He's down in Miami Dolphins as a defensive coordinator there. So not only did you lose an abundance of players, you lost three very important coaches and the only coach that was holdover was obviously Zach or and Chris Hewitt as well.
Speaker 2: So there there's.
Speaker 8: Gonna be that learning curve, and so I think the vulnerabilities there to some would be that they just don't have the experience and then trying they're still trying to figure out what this defense can do. Well, great, but we all know the Raven defense. They're gonna they're gonna line up, they're gonna knock you in the mouth, they're gonna come after you on in blitter quarterback. Now there's gonna be no no difference this week for Burrow. You know they're gonna they're gonna dolla some blitzers and get after it when they need to. And then they're gonna try to figure out a way to show a ton of blitzes and show you crazy odd looks and then dropping the zone and have a couple of fire zones where it's gonna look crazy, and then all of a sudden, you're gonna see the defensive live and drop out to take the middle hooks in the flat. So it's still the same defense, it's just early in the season and I think they're also uh and you guys know this, and then finding their footing on defense. The best defense in the one sitting over on sideline stiffer and gatorade. So when the offense is taking care of business and running the football, controlling and time of possession that they're able to do you and you also are able to help your defense out because now the defense one isn't out there, it's not getting exposed as much. The defense is freshure physically, which is important early in the season as guys because training camp is pretty much, you know, a Christian around the league right now, so guys are still getting their game legs under them, as we all know this first month of the season. And then the other part of it is now you help to make the defense better because now the defensive goal every week is one stop to one to create win third down, to create turnovers and make a team one dimensional. Well, guess what, when you're grounding and pounding and putting points on the board, that clock is shrinking. Now all of a sudden, you help your defense out because now teams are starting to have to go one dimensional and throw the football, which goes right into what the Ravens want you to do.
Speaker 6: Final question, and really appreciate your expertise. Thanks for giving us some of your time. Tight end likely had nine catches for one hundred eleven yards in the opener. He's had four receptions in the last three games. Andrews, I mean this this guy to me, I mean his uh, his his toughness, his body control had been second to none. Looks like he's struggling a little bit. What is going on? I mean, obviously they're running the football, so you know you can't you can't do both. You got to do one of the other. And numbers are gonna suffer a little bit in that passing attack. But in particular is Andrews. Is he still struggling physically or is he up to snuff?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's a great question, lab. I mean, they're keeping everything tight to the vest. I've been to the building, been you know, been out there, and I kind of noticed the same thing. He he doesn't seem like he's running with the same as he did prior to obviously him breaking his leg last year. I gave you guys the Bengals in that game here, I believe it was Thursday.
Speaker 2: Night football, and so.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it is. I think there's still some lingering effects that that we all know that Heat rushed to come back, and I shouldn't say rushed, but he was a to come back in time for the playoffs because he really wanted to play. And I know you've had you know, six seven months since then. But I also look at it, as you know, is it a situation that he's just not one hundred percent. The other part of the teams understand that, you know, in order to beat Lamar, you have to take away his security blak. There's no there's no question obviously that Mark Andrews is one of the best tight ends of football and that's been a huge part of Lamar's comfortability is having him to throw to. So teams are also taking him away when you watch him of the film, which is smart for them. And then you know, it's obviously turned into a situation that was part of the reason why the passing game was struggling in the first couple of weeks when the Ravens lost a couple of games, because like you said, you know, he's sitting here with six catches on the season. He usually does that in a half, you know, in the normal game, and he had no touchdowns this year, and he doesn't seem to be running the same So I think there is probably something there. I think a lot of it has to do with him being doubled and taken out of the mix right now. And then obviously the last couple of weeks being down you know, er to two, it was it was a big push to try to get this this shit back righted and they really committed to the run game, and then Likely has been a benefactor obviously the first couple of weeks of the season because of the fact that Mark was pretty much taken out the game plan by the defenses, because they were like, if somebody's going to beat this, it's not going to be Andrews, it's not going to be eighty nine. And then you know, Likely stepped up, you know, a couple of weeks, and then now they've been focused on the run. So I think that I think it all opened backed up for him. Obviously for you guys, you hope it's not this week, but I think I think down the road, once you get to that running game and start to play action, I think that you could see. I think you could see the old Mark Andrews re emerged, all right.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Brad Jackson ED. Here's a quick reminder to join lapping me for the Bengals pep Rally Show Friday from three to six on ESPN fifteen thirty. If you're not in the Cincinnati area, just search for ESPN fifteen thirty on the free iHeartMedia app. That's going to do it. For this episode of the Bengals Booth Podcast brought to you by pay Core, Proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. If you haven't done so already, please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a minute, give it a rating or share a comment that helps more Bengals fans find us. I'm Dan Hord and thanks for listening to the Bengals Booth Podcast.